With So Little to be Sure of by GIBBS_N_JEN
Summary: Jenny finds her professionalism questioned.
Categories: Other Het Pairings Characters: Anthony DiNozzo, Jenny Shephard
Genre: Episode Related, Romance
Pairing: DiNozzo/Jen
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: No Word count: 515 Read: 2661 Published: 05/08/2007 Updated: 05/08/2007
Story Notes:
This is going to be continued, how many parts yet I'm not sure. It's not a very long first chapter, I just needed to get it started. The title comes from a Stephen Sondheim song. Also, in this, Tony has never told Jeanne that he loves her. I'm working on the basis that Jeanne is really part of the La Grenouille storyline and that it's purely a job for Tony. (I'm the same Em who wrote the Gibbs/DiNozzo stories about them having twins but I couldn't remember my sign in name!)
With So Little to be Sure of by GIBBS_N_JEN
Author's Notes:
Jenny finds her professionalism questioned.
"I know,"

Tony cocked his head to one side and looked at Jenny, a confused look on his face.

"You know?" he repeated, unsure of what she was talking about.

"About you and Jeanne. I know."

"Oh," Tony straightened up in his seat. He still wasn't sure what the problem was. "You told me to get close to her."

"I didn't tell you to get an apartment with her," Jenny countered, finding it difficult to keep her voice steady.

"It's not like I planned it. She paged me and when I got to her place she was upset. She didn't have anywhere to go? What else was I supposed to do?" Tony asked, meeting Jenny's gaze across her desk. They stayed like that for a moment, Tony seeing something unfamiliar in Jenny's eyes. Before he could identify the emotion, she blinked and looked away. When she looked back her eyes were steely.

"It just makes it all a bit too real," she admitted.

"And isn't that what you wanted? For La Grenouille not to suspect anything? What boyfriend wouldn't do the same for his girlf…"

"She is NOT your girlfriend," Jenny spat out the last word as if it left an unpleasant taste in her mouth. "She is a key component of our case against La Grenouille and you…you are an NCIS Special Agent. You are there to carry out an investigation. Nothing more."

Standing, Tony moved over to the window where Jenny stood, her back to him as she gazed out onto the street below. "What's really the problem, Jenny?" Tony asked, stopping just a few feet away from her. "Is it that you don't want an agent getting too involved with his subject? Or is it that you don't want ME getting too involved with my subject?"

At his words, Jenny spun around to face him. "Of all the cocky things to…DiNozzo, I am Director of this agency and as Director I only have the best interests of my agents and their cases at heart. On a purely professional basis. Do you understand?"

Tony backed away and held up his hands in mock surrender. "I understand, Director," Tony emphasized her title and Jenny couldn't help but feel she was being mocked.

"That's all, Agent DiNozzo," Jenny dismissed him and watched him leave. As the door closed behind him, Jenny sank down into her chair. Of course he was right. It WAS the fact that he was getting too involved that had her so angry. What made her even angrier was the fact that she had shown her feelings for him and he had noticed. "How unprofessional can you be, Jen?" she asked aloud to the empty room. She had only allowed her feelings to get in the way once before, with Gibbs in Paris. Her judgement had been clouded then and had almost ruined months of undercover work. She wouldn't let it happen this time. This time the stakes were too big. Professionally and personally.
End Notes:
This is going to be continued, how many parts yet I'm not sure. It's not a very long first chapter, I just needed to get it started. The title comes from a Stephen Sondheim song. Also, in this, Tony has never told Jeanne that he loves her. I'm working on the basis that Jeanne is really part of the La Grenouille storyline and that it's purely a job for Tony. (I'm the same Em who wrote the Gibbs/DiNozzo stories about them having twins but I couldn't remember my sign in name!)
This story archived at http://www.ncisfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=1957