When the Cradel Falls by LivStabler
Summary: Who would think one undercover op could go so wrong? When an NCIS and FBI Agent are killed in the line of duty two very different worlds collide. Crossover with Numb3ers.
Categories: DiNozzo/Kate Characters: Abby Sciuto, Anthony DiNozzo, Donald Mallard, Jenny Shephard, Kate Todd, Leroy Jethro Gibbs, Tom Morrow, Ziva David
Genre: Alternate Universe, Crossover, Drama, Friendship, Humor, Romance, Series
Pairing: DiNozzo/Kate, Abby/McGee, Gibbs/Jen
Warnings: Violence
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 9 Completed: Yes Word count: 23079 Read: 24523 Published: 05/21/2007 Updated: 05/21/2007

1. When the Cradel Falls by LivStabler

2. California here we come! by LivStabler

3. Overprotective Uncle by LivStabler

4. Calm Down! by LivStabler

5. Crash course with life by LivStabler

6. Crossing the line by LivStabler

7. Rock-a-bye-baby by LivStabler

8. Im Not your Agent by LivStabler

9. We'll Meet Again... I have no Doubt by LivStabler

When the Cradel Falls by LivStabler
Author's Notes:
Who would think one undercover op could go so wrong? When an NCIS and FBI Agent are killed in the line of duty two very different worlds collide. Crossover with Numb3ers.
Disclaimer: I don't own NCIS or Num3ers. They are property of their creators and CBS. No money is made from this it is purely for enjoyment purposes. No infringement of copyright intended. The song Amazed belongs to lonestar and its composers.

Chapter one:

From the looks of the elegant ballroom in downtown LA it seemed to cater to the upper class. Caitlin Todd despised places like this having been subjected to these types of events since she was eight she had more than her fill. She never felt like she belonged. Especially since she was undercover -with DiNozzo and a recent transfer from a NCIS Subordinate office in Los Angeles, CA – Christina ‘Kristy' Madison- who had been lucky enough to have previous dance training- along with her ex-professional dance partner Toby Everson - as ballroom dancers. Tony had taken great pleasure in torturing her because of the fringed dress she wore and promised herself she would never dance the Mambo ever again.

She had actually had to learn the dances from Christina and Toby that was painful to say the least. DiNozzo unfortunately was a natural having already had known how to Salsa he had a leg up on her and he never missed an opportunity to rub it in. Looking up at the gold chandelier the light began to dim and the band began to play.

Every time our eyes meet

This feeling inside me

Is almost more than I can take

Baby when you touch me

I can feel how much you love me

And it just blows me away

I've never been this close to anyone or anything

I can hear your thoughts

I can see your dreams

Christina and Toby moved across the polished wood floor with ease. Ever since she had learned the dances the Rumba had been her favorite but with the difficulty of the choreography she was more than happy to let the to professionals handle this particular dance. The room was totally silent except for the music the audience was enthralled in the romantic dance. If she hadn't known better she would have assumed that Toby and Christina were lovers she had even thought it at first until she found out Toby was basically like her older brother.

The light blue fabric of Christina's dress almost looked like water as it fluttered. She jumped when a hand fell on her shoulder and rolled her eyes when she saw a smirking DiNozzo. "They're great together." He spoke softly sending a shiver down her spine and nodded mutely not trusting her voice.

I don't know how you do what you do

I'm so in love with you

It just keeps getting better

I want to spend the rest of my life

With you by my side

Forever and ever

Every little thing that you do

Baby, I'm amazed by you

The smell of your skin…

Scanning the room she looked for their suspect. Petty Officer Marcus Matthews seemed fixated on the dancers. His eyes dancing with lust his date didn't seem to notice. She had been informed by the club owner that this was the annual charity event he threw in order to raise money for the local free clinics. Still she wondered why Gibbs wanted them to go through undercover work instead of just walking in an apprehending him. Gibbs knew something and yet again he wasn't sharing.

As soon as this dance finished they would move in but something was wrong she could feel it. The final strings of the music ended and Christina latched her left leg around Toby her other leg going threw his parted ones and he dipped her down. Applause thundered through the room and Toby placed Christina back on her feet. Her hand slipped to the gun holder on her thigh and grabbed her badge.

Tony and Kate quickly pulled their own as Toby quickly the floor. Squeals of surprise flowed through the room before the guest started to take cover.

"NCIS!" Christina yelled inching toward the grinning suspect.

"NCIS! Marcus Matthews you're under arrest for the murder of Corporal Rachel Gains." Tony shouted as he joined Christina on the floor while Kate held her gun steady looking for any other threats. Gibbs, McGee, and Rogers- an agent on loan from George Perry's team were coming out of the backroom guns drawn.

"Get on the ground!" Christina added as she approached him from behind. Holstering her gun she caught the cuffs Tony tossed to her.

"You have the right to remain silent, which I highly recommend; you have the right to an attorney if you can not afford one; one will be provided for you. Do you understand these rights?" she recited his Miranda rights before slapping the cuffs on him and took his snort as confirmation.

Suddenly the once silent room was filled by gun fire echoed through it reverberating against the walls. Now everyone was taking cover under tables behind columns anywhere to prevent a bullet from striking them. Gibbs was rushing foreword toward Christina and Tony. McGee gulped as he crouched down over Marcus Matthews bleeding body. Pressing his fingers to the man's neck desperately searching for a pulse. Cursing under his breath when he couldn't locate one, Gibbs was going to be pissed.

Glass shattered wood cracked as the seemingly invisible assailant rain gunfire down on the room. Terrified screams echoed through the ballroom. Kate cursed darkly as she leaned her back against one of the columns. The cold plaster chilled her bare back. Peaking around the column she scanned the area for the shooter. Where the hell was this son-of-a-bitch?


----------------------------------------------------------------
Christina grumped as she crawled across the floor in her dress. Passing a group of people she offered them a few comforting words. She jumped when a bullet struck the wall just above her head. She was going to slaughter Gibbs for this. Spotting an older gentleman crouched in a corner she crawled toward him. Even from where she was she could see the man's hands trembling.

"Sir, I'm Christina Madison. Are you okay?" she questioned as she using her body to shield him. He lifted his frightened eyes to hers and nodded softly.

"Alan Eppes." He replied softly Christina nodded and smiled even though he didn't recognize her after all it had been four years.

"Is anyone here with you?" she questioned as she smoothed a hand up his arm trying to comfort him.

"My son Charlie he- he went to the bathroom." He voice broke and Christina nodded.

"Good he's safer there." When he said nothing else she continued.

"Look I promise you that you and your son going to be okay." She reasoned placing her small hand over his. He only nodded in reply his eyes scanning the room. Pools of crimson colored blood stained the floor. He prayed Charlie was safe in the bathroom. She gasped as a burning pain tore through her left arm. Clear her throat she tried to push the pain out of her mind.

"Oh my God your injured!" Alan cried softly.

"I'm okay just give me your tie." She replied. Alan quickly undid the knot and handed her the blue silk fabric. Setting her phone and gun down she used her teeth to tie it around her wound. Thankfully the bullet didn't exit her arm or it would have struck Alan in the chest. Oh well looked like Ducky would be digging this out of her arm later.


----------------------------------------------------------------
Tony jumped when his cell phone vibrated in his pocket. Pulling the small object out he looked down at the LCD screen. Gibbs

"Gibbs where the hell are you?" he asked.

"Basement." Tony frowned.

"Why are you there? Gibbs?"

"I'm cutting the power to see..."

"If we can se a muzzle flash. I tell McGee, Kate, and Kristy." he before snapping the phone shut.

"Kate, Gibbs is cutting the power watch for a muzzle flash! Yell if you see anything." he cried so the three agents could hear her.

Kate waited until the lights flickered off before moving from behind the pillar. Blinking a few times she let her eyes adjust to the darkness. Suddenly the room was silent. The hairs on the back of her neck stood on end. Soft whimpers of fear could be heard along with the crunch of glass.

"DiNozzo? Kate? Kristy?" Tim questioned softly.

"Tim over here." She whispered. Suddenly a shot fired followed by the shot of a 9mm. Tim shoved her the ground before dropping down beside her.

"He's in the balcony!" Tony shouted as he scrambled toward the door his gun already in hand. Kate followed close behind with McGee on her heels.

Christina quickly drew her own weapon before slowly standing.

"Alan press two and tell Gibbs to hit the lights." She whispered before she to bolted for the door.

………………….

Anthony DiNozzo was not easily angered but at the moment he wanted to kill the bastard responsible. He glanced up when the lights flickered on. Continuing up the carpeted stairs his hands clenching around the gun. Kate, McGee, and Christina were a few steps behind him. As he was the senior field agent he called the shots when Gibbs was otherwise occupied.

Using the gun he gestured for Kate to take the left balcony him from the right McGee the left and Christina was left to cover him as he entered the unknown. Sliding the burgundy velvet curtain and sighed peaked in.

"Clear." He called.

"Clear." Kate called.

"Clear." McGee's voice followed.

"I've got something." Christina said coming onto the balcony with him.

"What?" he demanded.

"Blood, looks like you hit him." She answered pointing to the small puddle. Tony nodded grimly and grumped "To bad I didn't kill the bastard." Before drawing in a deep breath.

"McGee, Kate, and I will clear the building. You get the victims outside." He said pivoting on his heel and leaving her on the balcony.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Charlie Eppes was a nervous wreak as he hugged his knees to his chest. He had heard the gun fire and had stayed put. Not out of caution but out of pure unbridled fear. His heart was hammering against his ribs his stomach in knots. What if his father was dead? Shaking his head swiftly he tried to push those thoughts from his mind. Glancing down at his watch he noted that he had been huddled in the same corner for almost an hour an a half.

Tears tumbled freely down his face as he swayed back and forth in a soothing motion. He froze when the door opened slowly and a gun wielding hands came into view followed by a man dressed in a tight shirt and pants. He had been one of the dancers. The man spotted him and moved toward him.

"I'm Tony DiNozzo; NCIS. Are you okay sir?" he questioned holding his badge out to Charlie.

"Di- did you catch him?" he questioned. Tony sighed and shook his head sadly.

"No, but are you okay?" Tony asked crouching down in front of the man.

"I'm fine. I have to go find my father." Charlie stated climbing to his feet.

"Hold up, everyone is out side. He should be out there." Charlie nodded curtly before leaving the restroom. Tony sighed and combed a hand through his hair Gibbs was going to pitch a fit.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The warm California air surrounded him as he exited the club his brown eyes scanning the crowd before him. Two ambulances blocked the street the lights flashing and reflecting off the windows of the hotel across the street. Panic began to bubble through him. His eyes took in the disheveled crying victims some had blood smeared across their faces others were shaking from fright.

It was almost like an out of body experience. Everything seemed to move in slow motion. He could see people's mouth's moving forming words that he didn't hear. He didn't notice the concerned looks the paramedics shoot his as he moved through the crowd. As he passed on of the ambulances someone called his name. He could hear it but he just couldn't comprehend it at the moment.

He paused in the center of the crowd still searching for his father's face. He didn't even feel the hand that fell on his shoulder. When he wouldn't answer said person they shook him snapping him out of his revere. His eyes watered as he came face to face with his father. He quickly pulled the older man into a hug before stepping back for the first time noticing his father's appearance. His tie was gone dry blood was peppered across his midnight blue shirt. Alan saw Charlie tense and patted his shoulder reassuringly.

"It's not mine." He murmured and watched as the tension drained from his son's face leaving only blatant fear in its wake.

"Who's is it?" he questioned softly as his father began to lead him toward a free paramedic.

"An agent protected me. Sweet girl, although she did look vaguely familiar." Alan frowned in thought trying to place the girl's face. Charlie nodded and pulled a hand through his sweaty hair. Noticing his frown he stopped walking causing his father to pause in confusion.

"What was her name?" Charlie questioned.

"Christina Madison." He answered his frowned deepened when Charlie's face mirrored shock and surprise.

"What did she look like?"

"About five foot three, short brown hair and green eyes why?" Alan questioned narrowing his eyes at his youngest son.

"Dad, that's Larry's niece." He finally answered.


----------------------------------------------------------------
Leroy Jethro Gibbs was beyond pissed. He was livid. Murphy's Law had been in effect big time. They had not only lost Special Agent Richard Roger's in the gun battle, but Petty Officer Marcus Matthews, and an unidentified man. Not only that but he also had two injured Agent's. Kristy had a bullet lodged in her arm while McGee had suffered a scratch on his forehead from flying debris.

Thankfully Ducky had taken some vacation time to accompany them out here. As now his medical training certainly came in handy as he bickered with Kristy. Apparently Ducky did not want to dig the bullet out of her arm and instead send her to the hospital. To which the young agent vehemently objected. Not that he blamed her they were in the middle of a new case.

Tony was busy occupying himself doing the crime scene sketch while Kate snapped numerous photos. McGee now donning a stark white bandage around his head sat on one of the bar stools. Letting out a frustrated growl he turned his icy gaze on the younger agent.

"McGee!" he shouted causing the younger agent to sputter and launch out of his seat.

"Y-Yea, boss." He stuttered.

"Shouldn't you be doing something?" Gibbs growled crossing his arms across his chest.

"Right boss I'll go collect statements." McGee nodded and quickly fled the ballroom desperate to put some distance between him and his angered boss.

Tony chuckled softly until Gibbs turned his glare on him. Gulping he quickly snapped his jaw shut and went back to his work. Kate smirked but unlike DiNozzo she had the sense to hide her amusement from Gibbs.

"Ducky, just dig the little bastard out!" Kristy growled at the older man causing the three agents in the room to look at her.

"What?" she snapped after noticing their stares. Tony once again snapped back to work and Gibbs chuckled softly.

"Duck, just dig the damn thing out." Gibbs groused and Ducky glowered.

"Jethro…" he began but Gibbs held a hand up to silence further protest.

"I need all the agent's I have, Duck." Gibbs argued and Ducky sighed in defeat and grabbed the tools he would need from his bag and unwounded the blue tie from the wound.

After having stopped the tiff that had been growing between agent and coroner he walked toward the body on the far end of the room. Pulling on his gloves he crouched down over the man. His once crisp white dress shirt was not saturated with crimson blood. Shaking his head sadly he frowned when something caught his eye. Pulling back the suit jacket he cursed. There hocked around his belt was a small gold badge that identified him as FBI.

He was distracted when a howl of pain echoed throughout the room. Glancing over his shoulder he noted that it was only Kristy. While he felt for his agent he had bigger problems to attend too. They were about to be in the middle of a turf war. Woopdie freakin' doo.


----------------------------------------------------------------"Could you be a bit more gentle with that thing?" Kristy hissed as Ducky maneuvered the metal object around her arm. Grumbling a bit under his breath he exclaimed "Eureka!"

"I take that means you found it?" Kristy remarked dryly. The elder man chuckled at the young woman's sarcasm.

"You think correct Christina!" he replied happily as he snatched an evidence bag from his satchel and dropped the bloody bullet inside.

"So are you going to stitch it or wrap it?" Kristy questioned happy to finally have the bullet out of her arm.

"Both." Ducky concluded after closer examination the wound. Kristy just shrugged and focused her eyes at her boss. His face was contorted in fury as he stalked toward her. Wonderful just what she needed now.

"What's wrong?" she asked carefully and bit her lip when Ducky began to stitch her wound.

"DiNozzo, Todd!" Gibbs shouted and the two agents quickly abandoned their work and hurried over to their irate boss.

"What's up boss?" Tony questioned as he rocked back and forth on the balls of his feet.

"The third body is FBI." He grossed.

"Shit." Kate muttered and pulled off her gloved with a snap and rubbed a hand across her face.

"Not only that but were going to have to battle NCISRA for the case as well." Kristy interjected.

"Wonderful." Tony muttered lamely.

"Looks like were out of time." Kate stated pointing to the doors of the ballroom. McGee was crossing toward them his face displaying his agitation and annoyance.

"Gibbs, I tried to keep them out." McGee offered and Gibbs just shook his head.

"Wait, that's Michael Patters. He was my boss when I worked out here. Let me talk to him." Kristy stated looking up at Gibbs who simply shrugged. Normally he would have objected and taken care of it himself but he had a bigger battle coming up with the friendly neighborhood FBI.

She waited for Ducky to secure her bandage before jumping off the stool and heading toward her former boss and by the look of his face this was not going to be an easy battle.


----------------------------------------------------------------
After McGee exited the building again he was greeted by two men in suits. Normally Timothy McGee was an even tempered man. Right now he was not in the mode to deal with these people.

"Can I help you?" he asked through clenched teeth. He bit back a groan when they flashed their badges at him. FBI. Great just what Gibbs needed he was already on edge this would surely send him over. So maybe this time he could try dissolve the situation.

"What do you need?" he asked sharply. He bit back a curse when the two men glared at him. Ha if they thought that intimidated him they were in for a rude surprise. After three years of Gibbs' deadly stares this was nothing.

"Look Agent…" he trailed off.

"Special Agent's Colby Granger and David Sinclair." The man filled in.

"That's nice but this is an NCIS investigation. Your presence is not need or required." He stated stiffly.

"We have a dead agent in there." Colby hissed stepping toward him. To McGee's credit he held his own and cocked an amused eyebrow.

"As do we." Tim snapped.

"Yes, you have are sympathy but this trumps you." David stated softly trying to diffuse the situation, but only succeeded in adding fuel to the fire.

"Oh pardon me for thinking that the life of our Agent is just a valuable." Tim countered.

"My apologies that came out wrong." David stated already feeling the on comings of a migraine.

"Well you'll have to deal with my boss." McGee stated stepping out of the way.

"I hope you have all your affairs in order." Tim muttered as he headed back toward the crowd.


----------------------------------------------------------------
"Well look at what the cat dragged in." Michael smirked when Kristy stopped in front of him.

"Nice to see you again." She smiled and nodded at the two agents she didn't recognize.

"So what do I owe the pleasure of this reunion?" Mike smirked and let his eyes travel over her body.

"Look lets not beat around the preverbal bush. This is our case." She stated gone was the smile and in its place a mask of indifference. Mike sighed he had really hoped that this would have gone better. Some things never changed and Christina Madison was one of those things. She didn't like small talk and never participated in it when it could be avoided. She was nothing if not honest even bluntly so it was one of the traits that drew him to her. Even though their relationship had ended he still had a high level of respect for the woman. She was a damn good agent and an even better physiologist. Her training with the BAU had only enhanced that.

"Kristy, this crime was committed in our jurisdiction we have every right to take point on this case." He argued.

"Yes, unhappy as I am you do, but I was hoping you would do me this favor." She answered her face was pinched with distain.

"That look liked it hurt." He remarked dryly Kristy hated asking for help especially from her ex-boyfriend.

"Mike." She growled her patients wearing thin.

"Fine, as a friend I'll smooth this over with the director." He replied hoping it would bring the smile back to her face, but she only nodded and offered a polite thank you before pivoting on her stiletto heel and stalking away.


----------------------------------------------------------------
Gibbs looked up as Kristy stalked toward him pulling a pair of purple rubber gloves she had taken from Ducky's bag. Her heels clipping out a sharp staccato as she walked across the polished floor.

"Well?" he questioned and she rolled her eyes.

"Problem taken care of." Gibbs nodded as Kristy took a sample from the blood pool surrounding the victim.

"Spoke to soon." Kristy grumbled when her attention was drawn to the doorway. Gibbs looked over his shoulder and cursed before stripping off his gloves and stalking across the floor. Leaving Kristy to severally pity the two unsuspecting men. Maybe it was time to go help McGee and get as far away from the war zone as possible. Quickly stalking past the three men currently engaged in a testosterone take down she head for the door. Until a certain man caught her eye.

"I'll be damned." She muttered drawing confused stairs from the three men.

"Ignore me just thinking out loud." She lied and continued toward the door. The last thing she wanted was interfere in Gibbs' war.
California here we come! by LivStabler
Disclaimer: See chapter one.

A/N: I have a question for all readers I'm not sure who Kristy should be paired with per say so you guys chose Don or Colby? Please answer in reviews. PS: this is short I know but I just got home form the hospital since dumb me dislocated her kneecap.

Chapter 2:

Tony sighed and glanced up from his crime scene sketch. His eyes were automatically drawn to the slight altercation that was brewing between who he assumed to be FBI agents and Gibbs. The poor unsuspecting bastards they had absolutely no idea what they were dealing with. Smirking he turned toward Kate and once again took in the yellow fringed dress. Normally he would tease her mercilessly but today he figured she had suffered enough.

After all she had been subjected to endless dance lessons then had to perform in front of complete strangers. Plus she had made it bluntly obvious that she would rather dance with a rabid pit-bull than him. Usually her barbs made him laugh but for some reason that had actually stung. Shaking his head he banished the thoughts to the back of his brain there were more important matters at hand then why something so small had wounded him. Tapping the eraser of his pencil against his clipboard he looked around the once immaculate ballroom that was now nearly destroyed.

Blowing out a breath he glanced down at his own clothes. Making a mental note to change into the suit he stashed in the dressing room. Granted Kristy and Kate would slaughter him but they actually looked good in their outfits. He on the other hand despised the plunging neckline, that revealed a good portion of his chest, and he came to the conclusion canary yellow was not his color.

Tapping the pink eraser of his pencil against the clipboard and once again surveyed the scene making sure he had included everything. When he decided he had he dropped the clipboard into the backpack he had fetched from the rental car and made his way toward his now foaming at the mouth boss.

…………….

Kristy weaved her way through the crowd in search of McGee but instead spotted Charlie's older brother and her first love, Don Eppes. When he spotted her he walked toward her with his father and brother and her uncle Dr. Larry Fleinhardt on his heels. Great now she would have to explain the white bandage wound around her arm. Uncle Larry had a tendency to panic when he saw even a bruise so he was going to have a conniption and judging by the already frantic look on his face she was in for a long battle. Plastering a smile on her face she closed the distance between them.

"Hi, Uncle Larry." She smiled hoping to ease the man's tension. She winced in pain when he grabbed her by her bullet wounded arm and hugged her tightly. Biting back a curse she patted his back with her free hand and tried to hold back her dark curses. Finally Alan took pity and intervened and pulled the frantic man off of her. Glancing down at her arm she cursed when blood began to pool at the back of the bandage. Freaking wonderful.

"Don, my boss would like to speak with you. I'll be right back." She murmured before grabbing his arm and dragging him toward the door leaving Charlie and Alan to hold Larry back. When they were safely out of ear shot Don paused and pulled her out of the way of witnesses.

"I just wanted to thank you…for protecting my father." He practically whispered. She smiled softly.

"Well you can thank me by making my boss happy and work in conjunction with us." She knew she was playing dirty but she was not going to sit on a plane with Gibbs all the way back to Washington while he was pissed. Don sighed and nodded softly before pulling open the door and allowed her to walk through before following. Praying he would not regret this agreement.

……………

"Look, we have every right to take over this case." Colby argued his voice was gruff with his impending explosion. This Gibbs person was impossible no bastard would be a better term.

"And we have every right to keep it." Gibbs countered evenly although his eyes narrowed portraying his aggravation. He bit back a smirk when the younger man's head nearly exploded. He was enjoying this way too much. He looked away from the two men when he saw Tony join him. Cocking an eyebrow Tony simply shrugged and crossed his arms across his chest in attempt to look intimidating yet his low cut yellow shirt did not help matters it only made the two FBI agents smirk. Gibbs turned back to his agent and stifled at chuckle.

"DiNozzo, change into something more processional." Gibbs ordered. Tony pouted and nodded before heading back toward the dressing areas. At the moment a loud voice boomed through the room.

"DUCKY!" Kristy bellowed as she hiked up the hem of her ball gown and went in search of the wayward coroner although she didn't have to look far as Ducky popped up behind the bar.

"I popped a stitch." She explained plopping down on one of the stools and unwinding the bandage. Gibbs just sighed and shook his head and turned his attention to the now three men before him.

"Don Eppes." He introduced himself and extended his hand to which Gibbs just stared at. With a sigh he finally clasped the other mans hand and gave it a firm shake before dropping it and again crossing his arms over his chest. Also noting that the man by the name of Colby was staring at his Agent and coroner as if trying to place one or both of them.

"I understand you want this case." Don said breaking the awkward silence. Gibbs simply nodded waiting for the man to protest.

"Well we can't hand over the case …" when Gibbs opened his mouth to protest he held a hand up.

"Let me finish." He broke off again when he heard Kristy groan and glanced at the brunette who was shaking her head vehemently at him. Rolling his eyes he turned back to the man who was now red with rage.

"We will however work in conjunction with you." Don finished almost causing Gibbs to do a double take. Don once again looked over at the woman who was getting her arm stitched up and she mouthed ‘Thank You' before hissing in pain.

………………

Ziva David had been at home with the flu when Gibbs had called and basically ordered her to be on the next plane to Los Angels. Not only that but she had to be on the same flight with a lab tech that despised her and NCIS Director Jenny Sheppard. She was going to slaughter Gibbs for this. The one time she had taken a much need vacation he called her in. Bastard.

Cramming some clothes into her duffel she grabbed her badge and ID and shoved it in her pocket then went in search of a book to occupy her on the plane on the five and a half hour plane ride. Grabbing a few paperbacks from the book shelf she tossed them haphazardly on top of the clothes and zipped up the bag and clipped her gun to her belt. Before grabbing the duffel and storming out the door only pausing long enough to lock the door. Exiting her apartment building she stepped into the elevator that would take her down to the lobby. Director Sheppard would probably be waiting for her along with the gothic queen of pep.

The elevator was thankfully empty she hated the people in her building. They were all so nosey and always wanting to know why she would storm out of her apartment in the middle of the night. She would simply answer it was the life of agent but she never realized people would ask her to go into detail about her job. She had learned while she was with Mossad to choose your confidants wisely and her neighbor Mrs. Eleanor Parks was not one of them. Tapping her foot restlessly against the worn linoleum she waited as the elevator descended.

When the elevator chirped in arrival and she pushed herself off the wall of the small compartment. Nodding at the doorman she continued outside and looked for Director Sheppard. She noticed something out of the corner of her eye and rolled her eyes. There was Abby waving her CAFF-Pow out the window of the car. Walking the short distance to the car she slipped in the backseat and tossed her duffel on top of a lime green luggage set which was without a doubt Abby's.

"California here we come!" Abby gushed and Jenny chuckled and started the car. Ziva sighed she hoped the air plane had a lot of air sickness bags.

……………..

When Tony emerged from the dressing room Kristy and Kate were still taking blood samples and digging stray bullets out of walls and columns. Gibbs was still talking with the FBI agents and Ducky was doing the prelim on the bodies. McGee was no where to be found he was probably still taking statements.

"Tony, come here." Kate called as she crouched down by the body of Petty Officer Marcus Matthews. With a sigh he started toward her and kneeled down next to her.

"What?" he questioned not sure why she had called him over.

"How many shots did you fire?" she questioned as she used her pen to pickup a shell casing.

"One." He stated knowing full well where this was going.

"We don't just have one shooter we have two." Tony grumped and drug a hand over his tired face.

"Now the real question is who gets to tell Gibbs?" Kate asked a smirk tugging at the corner of her mouth.
Overprotective Uncle by LivStabler
A/N: Finally decided whom Kristy should be paired with but I'm not going to say who. I came up with an entirely different subplot. You'll just have to wait and see. Also sorry it took so long to update but I came down with the flu which I still have the tail end of. Not very pleasant might I add. Well anyways on to chapter 3. Enjoy and please r&r.

Chapter 3:

Ziva David was nauseas. The flight had started out smoothly enough after take off that is, but an hour into the flight they had hit a bad patch of turbulence. This only made her upset stomach lurch in its disapproval groaning she placed a hand on her forehead and reached for another air sickness bag, the steward had been kind enough to keep her supplied with. Normally flying didn't faze her but she normally didn't have the flu and normally she'd been sitting with McGee than crammed in between Abby and Director Sheppard.

Plus Abby was wearing a sickening scented perfume. On any other occasion it wouldn't have bothered her but now it made her want to puke…again. The slurping sound that sounded to her left made her cringe. Muttering under her breath she glanced at an oblivious Abby who was currently enthralled with the in flight movie and munching on a bag of honey roasted nuts. Director Sheppard on the other hand was typing away on her lap top as she finished up some evaluation forms. Sighing Ziva let her head fall back on the leather seat maybe a nap would make her feel better.

……………………

"DiNozzo!" Kate growled as she glared at him from the backseat of the SUV. Tony stuck his tongue out and continued to sing along with the radio. Gibbs and Ducky had caught a ride with the Don so now Tony could be as immature as he damn well pleased. Kristy took one hand off the wheel and turned off the radio before pinching his arm.

"Kristy!" Tony whined and the other occupants of the car rolled their eyes.

Kate yawned and toyed with a fringe on her dress. When she had first noticed that Tony had changed his clothes she had nearly killed him. Gibbs had told them not to bring anything with them. Yet he let Tony. Bastard. Sighing she shifted on the seat and stared out the window. The sun was beginning to rise and it finally dawned on her just how long it was since she had slept. She sighed and let her head fall against the window with a soft thunk.

McGee looked away from the window and smirked. Sometimes he really felt for Kate she always took on to much and with the whole undercover mission the team got maybe three hours of sleep, and when Kate got tired she got cranky. This normally meant Tony had to be on his best behavior or she'd shoot him. Granted it was humors to watch the self-proclaimed ladies man tip toe around his partner and if Tony was honest with himself the woman he liked more than just a friend and colleague.

Shaking his head once more he turned back to the window and watched as various buildings whizzed by. He groaned when his cell phone rang and pulled the bothersome object from his breast pocket.

"McGee." He answered simply.

"Hi Timmy!" Abby cooed happily.

Tim smiled in spite of himself.

"Hey Abbs. I take it you guys landed." He stated as he ignored Tony's questioning gaze.

"Yep we….yuck Ziva…aim for the bag!" Abby cried disgustedly.

"Ziva still has the flu I take it." McGee chuckled.

"Yea, not a pretty sight, but anyways our cab is here gots to go! Love ‘ya lots see ‘ya soon!" she chirped before hanging up. Rolling his eyes he chuckled to himself the girl was insane but he loved her anyway.

…………………

Gibbs sighed and drug a hand over his face as he leaned against the desk of Donald Eppes as he waited for the remainder of his team. Charlie and Alan were relaxing in the break room waiting for someone to take them home. Megan Reeves- Fleinhardt was sitting at her desk reading over something on her computer her pregnant stomach blocked from view by her desk as her ear was being talked off by the chatty coroner. Colby and David had gone to notify Special Agent Fredrick Hinsdale- the deceased FBI Agent's ex-wife and ten year old daughter of his passing.

His fiancé had notified the office after she had been forced to leave his body. This had brought the FBI to his doorstep. His eyes narrowed when Tony came into view a beaming smile on his face but when he spotted Gibbs' glaring form his smile vanished; Kate who had noticed the reason for the dampening of her partner's spirits and chuckled.

Kristy and McGee where not far behind as Tim listened the woman gripe about the barely there dress she had been forced to wear. Tony had teased her insistently about the dress that exposed her stomach and a good portion of her back.

"What took so long?" Gibbs growled as the four Agents stopped in front of him.

"We stopped for coffee." Kate explained as she handed him a cardboard cup. Gibbs cocked an eyebrow and glanced at her dress.

"Why not clothes?" Ducky questioned and Kristy rolled her eyes.

"I didn't think Gibbs would appreciate us going in the opposite direction." Kristy smiled and Gibbs nodded the corner of his mouth twitched.

"Kristy, work up a profile. Kate dig deeper in to Petty Officer Matthews past people with a grudge or otherwise. McGee and DiNozzo study the surveillance tapes try to find the second gun man." Gibbs ordered.

"Ugh…Gibbs most of the film will be useless from the point of when the lights went out." McGee interjected somewhat sheepishly.

"Well find me something before it McGee."

"Right boss."

Megan stood from her seat and patted Ducky's shoulder.

"I'll show you where you can view them." She stated before smiling at her niece- in-law and ruffling her hair as she waddled past McGee and DiNozzo in toe.

"Oh..." Megan paused and turned around and looked pointedly at Kristy.

"You might want to check on Larry. He's been a bit on edge." Megan smiled when Kristy groaned and left after Kristy nodded.

"Alright I'm gonna get the crime scene photos uploaded too. See if that can tell us anything. Don, id there a computer I can use?" Kristy questioned.

"Yea, of course just use mine." He said moving out of her way.

"Thanks." She smiled.

"Gibbs give me about an hour for the report." Gibbs just nodded and sat down at a vacant desk.

"Duck, go shadow the ME."

"Right away Jethro."
Calm Down! by LivStabler
Sorry the last part was a bit boring. I blame sleep deprivation. LOL.

Chapter 4:

Tony sighed as he grabbed his coffee cup from the table and glared back at the screen. The tapes so far had been useless unless the cause of the shooting was the Mambo he and Kate had performed which could be entirely possible.

"This is useless." He moaned and let his head lull to the side. McGee shrugged almost imperceptibly as he continued to watch the screen.

"Come on McGeek we've watched this five times why would this time be any different?" Tony continued his rant as he began to count the ceiling tiles.

"Because Tony I just found something." McGee stated as he froze the screen and zoomed in toward one of the darkened corners. Tony sat upright in his chair and looked closely at the monitor. Granted the image was grainy and a bit distorted but it was a start.

"We're good." Tony grinned but only to frown when McGee snorted.

"Can we clear the picture up any?" Tony questioned as he side eyed McGee. McGee nodded "It'll take some time though." He replied finally.

"Well get to it Probie. I'll brief Gibbs." Tony stated as he all but ran from the room but Tim was too enthralled with the task at hand to take notice.

……………

Kate sighed as she scanned the document. Petty Officer Matthews just seemed to make friends everywhere he went. From his two week stint in the brig for fighting to the murder of Corporal Rachel Gains. Along with being investigated for a book making scheme which he had later been acquitted of.

Sitting back in her seat she shifted uncomfortably her legs were freezing in this get-up. She glanced across the workspace when she heard mumbled curses; Kristy who was leaning close to the screen as she inspected the photos was muttering under her breath as she scanned the pictures and scribbled something on a legal pad. For what she wasn't sure but it probably served a purpose. Glancing back at her own work she continued to skim paragraph after paragraph of useless information. She didn't want his life story just the victims of his schemes and anyone else whom may have had a grudge, but could she find that no that would be way too easy.

Grumbling she continued to the final paragraph. She muffled a curse when she yet again found nothing.

"Nothing I take it?" Kristy questioned never looking away from the computer screen.

"Nope. How about you find anything interesting?" she questioned and Kristy shrugged and looked up as Gibbs reappeared.

"You done with the profile?" he asked as he lounged one leg on the desk. She sat back in her seat and set the legal pad on her lap and rocked back and forth gently as she tapped her pen against the yellow paper.

"It seems to me anyway that this seems like an opportunity killing. The unsub was deliberate he had the opportunity and took it. Neat relatively clean bullet right to the chest from the stippling it looks like relatively close range. This was no accident someone was may have been stalking Matthews much like a lion would hunt its prey. He keeps him in his sights at all time and wait for the opportune moment to strike." She explained.

Gibbs sighed "Will they strike again?"

"It's hard to say I don't have much to go on. As it is I had to go with my instincts on this." She argued.

"What does your gut tell you?" he questioned cocking an inquisitive eyebrow.

"If I go with my gut…yes." She answered and drug a hand through her hair and stood.

"I better go check on my uncle make sure he hasn't driven Charlie and Alan insane." She smirked as she left and headed for the break room and Tony appeared from around the corner.

"Boss, McGee and I found something on the tapes. A man that was seated a table behind Petty Officer Matthews drew a gun. McGee's enchasing the image now." Tony explained as he scratched the back of his neck. Gibbs nodded pleased with the progress however small it was.

"Kate, anything in his files?" he questioned as he shrugged out of his suit jacket and tossed it on the chair.

"No, unless you want to know his favorite restaurant." She quipped and twirled a piece of her hair.

"Alright go fill in the Fed." Gibbs ordered as he pulled out his phone. Dutifully the two agents scampered off muttering what distinctively sounded like ‘bastard' under their breaths.


----------------------------------------------------------------
"Larry calm down." Charlie sighed as he watched his friend and colleague pace the length of the small room before pivoting on his heel and starting again. Don quickly left after fixing himself some coffee.

"Calm down? Calm down! My niece was shot, Charles!" he cried in outrage his arms flaring about as he went. He was so enthralled with his rant he didn't notice Kristy's appearance in the doorway. Although Alan and Charlie did Alan smiled softly at her while Charlie's eyes were more focused on her scantly clad stomach. Her sigh was soft as she shouldered away from the door frame.

"Uncle Larry." She said a small smile playing on her lips. Larry abruptly stopped mid rant and smiled sheepishly.

"You heard what I said huh?" he questioned and Kristy scoffed.

"Atlantic City heard you." She snipped but smiled despite herself. Larry sighed loudly and flopped down in the chair he vacated minuets prior.

"Uncle Larry listen to me…" she started as she sat down next to Charlie and grasped her Uncle's hand.

"You can't protect me anymore. I'm a big girl I've been taking care of myself for a long time." Larry nodded his eyes glistening with unshed tears.

"I know but after what happened to your mom…." He began but Kristy quickly drew her hand back as if he had burned her with a lit match.

"That's not the issue here." She argued as she stood abruptly almost causing the chair to topple backward. Larry cursed softly at his mistake he knew better than to bring up his sister and brother-in-law. That was a wound that would probably never heal for his young niece.

"Look I have work to do…ohm…ugh…we'll talk later." She stumbled as she fled the room.

"What was that about?" Alan questioned his eyes wide with the young woman's sudden change in emotions.


----------------------------------------------------------------
Abby Scioto was practically bouncing with excitement as she, Director Sheppard, and Ziva entered the FBI field office. The marble floors gleamed under the florescent light. A few potted plats were scattered around the open space. A rounded desk was tucked into the far corner of the room near a bank of elevators. She cocked her head to the side when she spotted Toby Everson arguing with the security guard. Director Sheppard was already halfway across the lobby and quickly followed after her.

Abby smiled and gave a small wave at the angered dancer. He offered a small smiled and readjusted the two bags he was holding.

"Sir, I'm NCIS Director Jennifer Sheppard, this Abby Sciuto, and Officer David." She stated with a thin smile. The security guard glanced down at the clipboard and nodded.

"Yes, Agent Eppes told me to expect you." He answered and dug around a desk drawer and withdrew the visitor's passes and extended them toward the red head.

"Your Agent's are on the third floor." He directed. Jenny nodded her thanks and strode toward the elevators with Ziva behind her.

"Abby can you give these to Kate and Kristy. I doubt they want to stay in those dresses all night." Toby said as e handed over the two plastic handle bags. Smiling she nodded her head her pigtails bobbing.

"Thanks Abbs." He smiled and stepped out of her way. Readjusting the bags she hurried into the elevator before it closed.


----------------------------------------------------------------
Kate Todd yawned and nodded at David and Colby as they collapsed in their chairs. It was obvious that notifying the ex had not gone well. She knew form pervious experience that it was one of the hardest things in the world to sit there and watch a person's world collapse around them. It was something that tore at your soul and the only time it stopped aching for her anyway was when they caught the person responsible.

Don and Gibbs had headed down to the Medical Examiner's office to get the results of the autopsy and to collect the bullets that were still in the bodies. She couldn't even imagine what Roger's family was going through. Director Sheppard was supposed to have contacted the family before she flew out here. She did not envy the director in the slightest. She smirked when she noticed Ziva almost crawling toward the cubicles. God help the person who pissed of the former Mossad Agent.

"Hey Ziva, feeling any better?" she questioned and Ziva just glared at her.

"I'll take that as a no." she muttered and bit back a chuckle when Abby practically bounced into the bullpen two bags in hand.

"Hi Abbs, Director Sheppard." Kate greeted.

"Agent Todd." Jenny nodded and looked around and frowned.

"Where's Jethro?" she questioned.

"Autopsy." Kate answered as she eyed the plastic handle bags.

"Nice dress, Kate." Abby smirked and Kate rolled her eyes.

"What's in the bags?" Kate questioned trying to peak into the bag.

"Toby thought you might want something to change into." Abby chuckled when Kate instantly brightened.

"Gimme!" Kate all but lunged for the bag.

"I don't which is which." Abby stated as she handed the bags over. Kate ignored the rest of the occupants in the room and grabbed the bag containing her clothes and headed for the ladies room passing Tony and Kristy as she went.

"Hi Director Sheppard, Abbs." Tony smiled at the two women and Abby latched on to his neck and gave him a tight hug.

"I'm so glad your both alright!" Abby exclaimed as she hugged both Kristy and Tony at the same time. Kristy hissed in pain and Abby automatically let go and noticed the bandage for the first time.

"What happened to you?" Abby demanded of the younger woman she thought of as a sister.

"What do you think?" Kristy chuckled and Abby scowled.

"Are you okay?"

"Fine Abbs." Kristy smirked as she glanced down at the bag.

"What's in that?" she questioned.

"Change of clothes." Abby answered and chuckled when Tony moaned in protest.

"But I like the view!" Tony whined but stopped abruptly when he remembered the director's presence and Kristy walked past them.

"Is McGee okay?" Abby asked her voice barely above a whisper. Tony smiled softly and nodded. "He's fine a cut on his forehead but fine." He answered and Abby sagged in relief.

Tony sighed and glanced over at David and Colby.

"Oh right. Director Sheppard, Ziva, Abbs…this is David Sinclair and Colby Granger." Tony introduced and glanced over at Ziva when she sneezed loudly.

"Pleasure." Jenny smiled Abby on the other hand flounced over and offered her hand.

"Abby Sciuto, Forensic Expert." She beamed and David chuckled.

"David." He replied and Abby moved on to the next man.

"Nice to meet you." Colby answered.


----------------------------------------------------------------
Gibbs sighed wearily as he glanced down at the body of one of their agents. The Medical Examiner seemed to welcome Ducky with open arms considering the two were swapping stories as they worked. Ducky was currently retrieving a bullet from Petty Officer Matthews while James Cody worked on the FBI agent.

COD was relatively simple all they needed now was the bullets to run through the data base and see if they got lucky. If not they could do a ballistics match as soon as they found a suspect. Gibbs shot a side long glance at Don Eppes the younger man was staring at his fallen comrade. He knew the feeling and he sympathized.

"Well Duck?" he questioned. Ducky walked over an evidence bag in hand.

"Looks like a nine millimeter." Ducky answered as he handed over the bag.

"And the others?" Don questioned.

"Forty caliber." James chimed in handing over four bags holding the bullets he had extracted from the FBI and NCIS agents. Someone was going to pay for this he'd make sure of it.
Crash course with life by LivStabler
Chapter 5:

Alan Eppes sighed as he entered the home he shared with his son. It was good to be home. For the first time in his life he had been worried that it would be the last time he walked through the front door. The last time he would have to fix the furnace. Never see his sons again. It truly was amazing what ran through a person's head when their life was threatened. Charlie and Larry followed close behind and closed the door soundly behind them.

His eyes landed on the framed photo on the wall. Margaret's smiling face she had watched over him tonight. She had sent someone to protect him. Charlie would say he was crazy but Alan knew better. He believed that there were some things that could not be explained by math and science. Collapsing into his chair he ignored Larry as he droned on about black holes. Closing his eyes he sucked in a deep breath as a wave a fatigue hit him.

He cracked his eyes open when he heard the back door slam. Without even looking he knew Charlie was headed out to the garage. It was how he dealt with things. He would work on an unsolvable problem until something finally got through to him. Larry had no doubt followed him out trying to offer some words of wisdom.

Pushing himself up from his seat he rubbed at his eyes and headed up the stairs. All he wanted to do was take a shower and curl up in bed and sleep. The day's events had taken a toll on him. Unlike his sons traumatic events made him tired not wired. Gripping the banister he walked up the remaining steps and paused on the landing to stretch out his back before moving into his room.

Pulling open the walnut drawer of his dresser he pulled out a pair out sweat pants and an old CalSci t-shirt before walking into his adjoining bathroom. Dropping his clothes onto the hamper he turned the faucet knobs to the correct temperature before turning on the shower head and tossing his stained clothing in the small garbage can and stepped under the warm spray.

After a quick shower he slipped into his nightwear and padded out of the steam filled room. Tossing back the comforter and sheet he crawled under the covers and sighed in bliss. A couple hours of sleep and he would be good as new unlike Charlie. Charlie lived in his own world that had rarely been touched by violence and when the two interceded his brain couldn't process the trauma. Which he figured was partly his fault for not exposing him slightly to the real world, but now it seemed the real world was making his presence known. Plus his work with Don he was on a crash course with life, but in the end Charlie would survive and be stronger for it.

…………………………..

For the most part Larry Fleinhardt's day had not been optimum. He only found out his niece was in town after an undercover assignment had gone bad and she had been injured. He still wouldn't have known if Charles hadn't called him. Not that he wasn't immensely grateful he was, but he had never felt such fear in his life. Well except when Megan had told him she was pregnant although that was followed by overwhelming joy. Now as he watched Charles scribbling furiously across the rows of green chalkboards he wished he was an expert in psychology.

Maybe then he would know what to say to the young genius and it didn't help that Amita was visiting her family and was virtually unreachable. As of late she had been very well versed and knew all the secrets to the psyche of Charles Edward Eppes. So the only thing he could do now was sit by and watch him react the only way he knew how. For some reason he had it in his head that problems should be dealt with internally and not sharing it with others. Where he got that notion he wasn't entirely sure.

Flopping down on the couch he let his eye close. He knew for a fact Megan wouldn't be home tonight. Since she had been put on desk work she liked to stick around in case she was needed. Plus he was glad that she was around to watch over his niece. Kristy and Megan had gotten along famously since they first meet. They seemed to have developed a sisterly bond.

Since Kristy sister Laura was currently in Iraq she needed someone to confide in. Even though Laura and Kristy were as different as night and day they still had a strong bond of friendship. Laura had always been Kristy's protector since she was a prodigy she forced her into normal activities. Like ballroom dancing. His basement was currently piled full of her trophies that she had won over various competitions.

Sighing he rubbed a hand over his burning eyes. Right now all he wanted was to go home and sleep but he knew if he did he knew Charles would forget about food and sleep. He shook his head sadly as Charlie moved to a fresh board. He knew he could talk until he was blue in the face and it would do no good. If need be he could always have Megan sit him down and have a talk with him. With her current hormones she didn't take no for an answer. She would break him down and make him talk if she had to twist his wrist behind his back until it snapped.

That was why he was especially careful around her he never said anything that was synonymous or could be construed as heavy or big. He had learned that from a previous mistake. She had made him sleep in his car that night saying he didn't deserve the couch. Two dozen roses and lots of chocolates had got him back into the house and her good graces. Yawning he swung his legs onto the couch and grabbed a stray pillow and shoved it under his head.

As long as he was present he would be able to hear what was going on. He was an exceptionally light sleeper so if Charles so much a sneezed he would be aware.

…………………………

Tim McGee was tired. His eyes were burning from staring at the computer screen. The image enhancement was nearly done. Then maybe he could sleep. Abby had been there until Don had put her to work in the DNA lab as had Gibbs until she summoned to her new lair. Now he had Director Sheppard occupying the chair next to him. Apparently she decided to join him to keep him company but the only thing she was doing was making him increasingly nervous.

She was constantly looking over his shoulder which was seriously gnawing at his nerves. Gibbs usually just bitched at him until the results came in. Which was surprisingly motivating but this was ridicules. It wasn't like he had never worked with security footage before. While Tony still insisted on calling him Probie but he was not new to this. He had been working under Gibbs for close to three years even Gibbs didn't hover anymore. He had confidence in his work. He couldn't say the same for the director. Now he was beginning to wonder if one of the Feds had sanctioned her here to keep her out of their hair.

"Will the quality get any better?" she questioned. Biting back a curse he knew it was a logical question but Tony and Gibbs had already asked him that. Didn't anyone talk anymore?

"It's only seventy percent done. So yes it should be better but it won't be perfect." He answered surprised with how surprised by how calm his tone was. Add on his lack of sleep and he was practically close to snapping. When he got tired he got snappy although he had to be pretty damn tired for that to occur. Then again with everything that had occurred he had no doubts as to why he was exhausted. Then again the hovering red head also had something to do with it.

……………….

"What have you got?" Don questioned as he entered the DNA lab. Abby Sciuto turned to face him and smiled. Gibbs was already there leaning against one of the desk a sour expression on his face.

"I ran the blood sample from the balcony and got a hit…." Abby started as she spun in her chair to face the monitor. Clicking away on the keyboard a picture popped up.

"Midshipmen Luis Wasp. Was dishonorably discharged from the Navy five years ago. That same year he was arrested for rape. Plead guilty served two years and was paroled two months ago." She read off before clicking a few more buttons and the printer rumbled to life.

Don sighed and drug a hand over his face. "Alright…thank you Abby. Gibbs round up your team and meet us in the briefing room." Don stated before offering Abby a weak smile and leaving. Abby turned to her boss with a grin.

"See boss-man he seems nice enough." Abby rolled her eyes when Gibbs snorted and pushed away from the table and headed for the door. "Good work Abbs." He called over his shoulder.

"No problem my silver haired fox!"

……………………..

Megan groaned as she shifted in her seat in the briefing room. Don had already taped the Navel photo to the board. He had said something about a DNA match but didn't want to explain until the rest of their team and Agent Gibbs' arrived. David and Colby shuffled in with Agent DiNozzo close behind. None of them said a word just took a seat to await everyone else. The two now suitably dressed female agents's entered a few seconds later followed not long after by the NCIS director, McGee, and Gibbs.

The youngest of the three was holding a picture in his hand and wordlessly handed it over to Don.

"Alright the DNA that was collected from the balcony hit in the database. Midshipmen Luis Wasp, 34 was dishonorably discharged from the Navy five years ago. That same year he was arrested for rape. Plead guilty served two years and was paroled two months ago. I contacted his parole officer he missed his last two scheduled meetings. So now it's up to us to find him." He trailed off as he looked down at the photo in his hand and cursed. While the picture was still a bit grainy he could clearly see the man's face along with the 9mm in his hand.

"David, Colby, and Agent McGee track down Wasp and bring him in for questioning. Meanwhile we need to get on finding this man." He stated posting the photo on the board.

"Well the second unsub was either providing a distraction to give the other time to kill the real target. It insured him the opportunity to make sure Matthews was dead. Everyone else was taking cover it was probably just bad luck we were there. He probably waited until the lights went out and slipped away unnoticed by us or anyone else." Kristy interjected as she rubbed her forehead.

"DiNozzo, Todd go lean on the ballistics lab." Gibbs ordered and the two agents left.

"Alright Kristy take the photo and canvas the patrons see if anyone knows him or saw where he disappeared too." Gibbs added.

"I'll go with you." Don offered and Kristy smiled as did the older Agent. Gibbs narrowed his eyes at the scene. That was not a good look.

"Well Jethro what do you say we partner up like the old days and try to find this bastard?" Jenny questioned with a beaming grin.

"I'll dig into Wasp's past." Megan offered and the two agents nodded and left. She tried to stand from her seat but frowned when her large abdomen prevented it.

"Help I sat down and I can't get up!" she cried to no one in particular.

…………………….

Kristy smiled when Don opened her car door for her and waited until she was seated to close the door. When he slid into the seat next to her he offered her a shy smile and turned the key and pulled out of his parking spot.

"So it's been a while." Don stated trying to break the uncomfortable silence that had descended upon the car.

"Yea, four years." She chuckled.

"You know I never understood why you left." he stated as he hit the turn signal.

Kristy shrugged "After Mike got promoted he tended to single me out. Like it was my fault our relationship ended." She answered with a shrug and Don frowned.

"Why did it end? You never really told anyone." He questioned glancing at her quickly before looking back at the road.

"He slept with a woman from our office. Had the guts to blame the whole thing on me because I wouldn't put out. I mean I was nineteen and I wasn't ready I couldn't help that." She shrugged again. Don frowned as his grip tightening on the steering wheel.

"Well you deserve better." He stated firmly her smile was beaming showing off her dimples. How could he have forgotten that smile? Granted there was a ten year age difference and she always had been more Charlie's friend than anyone else, but she was there when his mother got sick. She was always there to listen and offer advice yet he knew next to nothing about her except she and her sister had been orphaned and she had been sent to live with Larry while her sister was eighteen and had joined the Marines.

"You know I never knew what happened to your parents." He watched as flinched then tense.

"They died." She offered simply.

"How?" he questioned he knew it was a sore topic but for some reason he wanted to know. He watched as her eyes flickered shut and her lips pinched.

"I don't want to talk about it." She answered finally.

"Why?" he pressed.

"Well it's not exactly a happy memory. Only my sister, Uncle, Megan- although Uncle Larry told her and your brother know what happened and I'm not planning on telling anyone else." She snapped obviously he had pushed her too far.

"You will never change." He sighed. She turned her sharp glare on him.

"Excuse me?"

"Ever since I've known you you've never opened up. One day your gonna have to let someone in." he argued. Her face turned red in fury.

"I have let people in. Agent Eppes and all I've got from that his heartbreak. So excuse me for not being so forth coming." She smiled when he flinched. Good he wanted to push her she'd push back either way she was not telling. To bad she didn't know fate had other ideas.

…………………..

Colby Granger was a lot of things but patient was not a virtue he possessed. After almost three hours of searching they had finally caught up with him. He was holed up in a dingy motel room. Now as they approached the room vests secured around their chests. When they reached ‘5C' he and David stood on either side of the door McGee standing behind David.

Raising his hand he pounded swiftly on the door. "FBI open up!" he yelled. A small commotion could be heard inside. Not wasting any time David kicked the door in. The door gave easily spring open to revel Wasp trying to pry open a window that had been painted shut probably decades ago about the last time someone changed the bed sheets too.

"Down on your knees hands behind your head!" David yelled as he slowly approached. Luis finally gave up on the window and dropped down to his knees. Forgetting about the warrant that was tucked in the inside pocket of his suit jacket he holstered his weapon leaving McGee and David to cover him. He noted the bandage wrapped around his arm.

"How'd you hurt yourself Luis?" he taunted as he slapped the cuffs on and hauled him up to his feet.

"Look at what we have here." David smiled as held up the gun.

……………………..

Jethro Gibbs glanced up when he saw Luis Wasp being led in and waited until McGee had him in an interrogation room to approach the door.

"What do you think your doing?" Colby hissed as Gibbs began to enter the room.

"Last time I checked it was called interrogating a suspect." Gibbs snipped.

"Yea, we do the interrogation." Colby ground out between clenched teeth.

"Actually Agent Granger he's former Midshipmen which falls under NCIS jurisdiction." Jenny stated as she seemingly appeared out of no where. The Agent grumbled and walked into the adjoining room.

"So Jethro wanna tag team him?" she questioned with a smile.

"After you." He smirked.

…………………

Tim McGee looked up when the door to the interrogation room opened and his boss and the director walked in. Jenny sat down at the opposite side of the table and clasped her hands. Gibbs remained standing.

"Thanks McGee we got this." Gibbs stated. Tim nodded and left the room he was all too happy to let Gibbs handle the interrogations.

"Well Luis you seemed to have gotten yourself in quite a jam." Jenny smirked as she slid the folder toward him. Luis smirked and opened the file and glared at the document.

"What the hell is this?" he asked tossing the paper back at the red head.

"Oh come on Luis. You should know DNA results when you see them." Jenny snipped.

"I really don't give a damn about the results Luis. I want to know who you're working with." Gibbs growled as he planted his hands on the cool metal table and leaned toward him. Luis visibly gulped and sat back in his seat.

"I-I have no idea what your talking about." He shot back obviously shaken by the agent.

"Oh you know what I'm talking about, but don't talk see if I care. We already have your blood at the scene and the gun that is being matched to bullets as we speak. Either way you're going down for three murders. You can either go down alone or face the needle you deserve or you can give up your friend. What's it gonna' be?"

"I think I need to talk to a lawyer."

…………………………….

"Thank you for seeing us so late." Don said as he and Kristy seated themselves on the small love seat. Marissa Ferguson waved a hand to dismiss the comment.

"Nonsense anything I can do to help. Would you like some coffee or some food I can call room service." The elderly woman offered.

"No, thank you were fine." Don answered with a slight smile he wished all the witnesses had been so nice at four in the morning.

"Mrs. Ferguson, did you see either of these two men at the party?" Kristy asked as she handed over the two photos.

"No, I'm sorry I didn't…but I do remember your dance you and that young man were superb. Is he your boyfriend?" she questioned and the two agents chuckled.

"Well thank you, but no Toby and I are just good friends he's like my big brother." The agent answered with a smile.

"Oh no I meant Agent Eppes here." The woman continued even as the two agents look at her in stunted silence before Don shook his head in the negative. After that the two agents stood and collected the photos. "Oh pity…you know you should compete." She continued.

"Thank you again but I'm way past my competing days. I've hung up my heels." She smiled and thanked her again and headed for the door.

"Oh so you did compete! How many years?" she questioned following them.

"Four years." She answered before waving and ducking out of the hotel room. Marissa grabbed a hold of Don's arm.

"Don't give up on her yet. I may be old but I can still see young love blossoming."

…………………………………..

The elevator ride was uncomfortable until Don broke the suffocating silence.

"So why didn't anyone see these two?" he questioned. Kristy cleared her throat.

"He's good hiding in the one place no one would think to look." Kristy answered finally.

Don frowned "And that would be?"

"Plain sight. He's not flashy but neat in appearance. He blended in with all the other men in the room. Suit not jeans or a t-shirt he not that stupid. Someone would be sure to remember someone who stood out like that." She shrugged.

"So how dangerous is this guy?"

"The most dangerous kind. He blends into a crowd doesn't draw attention to himself. He blends into the background. People tend to forget people like that are there." She continued as they crossed the parking lot and paused when they saw something on the hood of the car. Approaching it Don slipped on a pair of gloves and picked it up and listened for ticking. Hearing nothing he glanced down at the package.

"Its addressed to you."
Crossing the line by LivStabler
Disclaimer: I do not own Smith and Wesson don't know who the company belongs to probably smith and Wesson and family. So please don't sue. Founders were: Horace Smith, Daniel B. Wesson. Michael F. Golden (CEO), John A. Kelly (CFO). Nor do I own ‘Fields of Gold' these people do if that's wrong my apologies. Performer Sting Composer Sting Publisher A & M Records D Title Sting: Ten Summoner's Tales
Track 3
Label A & M Records

A/N: I have no clue how old Colby is so in this story he's twenty-six. Kristy is twenty-five. Charlie twenty nine, Don thirty-five. Kate twenty-eight, Tony thirty-two, Ziva thirty-one. Also I have know idea if any agencies entered in old crimes into current databases but I need a link so forgive that.

Chapter 6:

Kate glanced up from the ballistic reports she was combing through. As first suspected the gun was a perfect match to the forty caliber bullets. Although that wasn't really what captured her attention it was her friend and partner. Anthony DiNozzo was immature, annoying on his best days, and yet surprisingly warm and caring. Tony was currently flipping through the autopsy report Ducky had sent over. His hair was a mess strands falling onto his forehead.

Apparently Tony was going for his smart look today. His thin framed glasses perched on his nose which only seemed to draw attention to his electric green eyes. For some reason he glanced up from his work. Maybe it was her intense scrutiny that had caught his attention, but now as he looked at her his eyes flared almost like they sparked to life. His breath fanned across her face. It was almost like a magnetic force that was drawing the two of the together. Their lips were mere inches apart his roman nose nudged hers. Then just as he was about to finally kiss her after all these years of waiting someone sneezed.

Jumping apart they came face to face with an oblivious Ziva David who was currently blowing her nose. Feeling their gaze she turned and offered a "What?" The word came out in stuffy drown do to her congested nose.

"Nothing absolutely nothing." Kate answered quickly causing Tony to wince as her words seared through him. That moment had meant nothing to her? He really couldn't say he was surprised after all he had been ever so juvenile around her which he knew she despised. Yet for some reason he couldn't help his behavior. Normally woman found it cute but not woman like Kate Todd. Yes, many vapid women had fallen for his childish charm but that wasn't helping him now.

He had dropped many a hint to the brunette who had all but ran away from him to hover over Megan to go over Luis Wasp's file and Ziva had collapsed in the now vacant seat and began going through the ballistics report. Although it appeared his advance on his partner were either ignored or chalked up to his normal antics. After all when Kristy had first arrived he had flirted with her blatantly until he was almost knocked unconscious by one of Gibbs' swats to the head. That didn't help with his pursuit to woo his partner.

He just seemed to do everything wrong when it came to her. He either said something to make her mad or to make her disregard him completely. What he needed was a woman's advice, but who could he ask? Ziva was a definite no her idea of a romantic gift was a man giving her a new set of throwing knives. Abby knew Kate pretty well and knew what she liked yet she would tease him mercilessly and by telling her he risked the chance of her accidentally spilling the beans. Director Sheppard was a no she had the same view as Gibbs with interoffice dating. Kristy was still relatively new to the team yet she was a seasoned profiler.

He cringed as Ziva launched into another coughing fit. Gibbs really should have let her stay home. As it was she really wasn't much help in her current state now he was risking the whole team getting sick. Poor Megan was carrying disinfectant spray around with her since she was eight and a half months pregnant but had been called in to assist with the case, and didn't need a cold on top of it not that he blamed her even he didn't want to be near Ziva at the moment but he really didn't want to anger the woman either. On a good day Ziva wanted to strangle him and that was when she wasn't sick. So now he wasn't going to press his luck.

He looked up when Gibbs stormed into the bullpen like and angry bull. Great like his day wasn't bad enough Gibbs was having another tiff.

"What happened?" Kate asked her eyes narrowing at her boss.

Gibbs growled low in his throat "Bastard lawyered up." Jenny appeared a few minuets behind him her face portraying her concern for her former lover. It was look like that made him wonder if really Gibbs and Jenny were still more than just friends.

"So what's our next move?" David asked from his desk his fingers tented under his chin.

"David and Colby, you two handle the LUDS dig up any cell phone records home phones whatever. Then crosscheck them with any former cell mates. If nothing comes of that you look up every male he's spoken too and compare their driver's license photo with ours." Gibbs replied before pausing. David didn't waist any time before doing as he was asked Colby however grumbled under his breath before moving to help.

"Todd, DiNozzo what the hell are you waiting for help them." Gibbs barked causing Tony to flinch and scurry off Kate not far behind.

"Ziva, where is McGee?" he asked his nostrils flared.

"Helping Abby with something." Ziva shrugged not looking up from her report. Although McGee picked that particular moment to reappear.

"Boss, Abby's got something." McGee interjected. Gibbs didn't need anything else before he turned almost plowing into Jenny and stormed off to where the Fed had sanctioned Abbs.


----------------------------------------------------------------
"Hinky." Abby muttered to herself as she peered down the image enchantment microscope. Pushing away from the microscope she jotted down a few notes. The bullet was consistent with a Smith & Wesson the bullet had a right hand twist that was the signature, but this was truly different.

"What have you got Abbs?" Gibbs asked as he breezed into the room with McGee, Ziva, and Director Sheppard.

"Well I ran the bullets through the data base and came back with a hit." Abby started as she rolled her chair over to the computer and brought up the document.

"The bullet matches another on file in two unsolved murders. A few years ago ballistic evidence from cold cases from the past twenty years was entered into databases to see if they linked with any current crime…"

"Abbs." Gibbs cut her off.

"Right the bullet matches a seventeen year old double homicide. A husband and wife were murdered in Fresno. The only two survivors were the couple's two daughters eighteen year old Laura Madison and eight year old Christina Madison both sisters were bound with duck tape and were forced to watch." Abby concluded with a sigh. Gibbs lips pressed into a firm line. This was nothing new to him he knew Kristy's parents had been murdered. Now that same psycho could be back. A collective silence fell over the room. McGee scuffed his foot against the floor he had always suspected something bad had happened just not that bad.

"Alright I want to see the files. Get in touch with the Fresno police." Ziva nodded and quickly walked out of the room.

"McGee pull Kristy's file see who has a grudge and brief Kate and Tony." McGee nodded swiftly and left the room.

"Gibbs this is going to be bad isn't it?" Abby questioned softly. Gibbs' sigh was soft. "Yea Abbs, it is."


----------------------------------------------------------------
"Hey guys your gonna wanna see this." McGee stated as he strode into the incident room. Papers were scattered around the large round table. The four agents that surrounded it looked drained. Colby's hair was pointing in ten different directions; Tony looked as if he was falling asleep with his eyes open. Kate was sitting at the head of the table a laptop in front of her as she took the male names from the phone records to driver's licenses. So far she was coming up empty.

"What?" Colby questioned turning his tired green eyes on McGee.

"Abby ran the 9mm bullets through the database came back with a hit. A seventeen year old double murder of Regan and Spencer Madison." He recited from the file as he tossed the file on the cluttered table.

"Madison?" Tony asked snapping out of his sleepy haze. Tim nodded solemnly.

"The only two survivors were Laura and Kristy Madison. Laura joined the Marines right after the incident. Kristy first lived with her grandmother in Winchester, Idaho stayed there for six months before she was sent to live with her Uncle." Tim finished dropping down into a vacant chair.

Colby's eyes widened that was the same girl who had lived with Mrs. Regina Madison- Richards. He had been nine at the time. She was the one who told him candidly he was clumsy and stubborn. Along with a few other words he didn't understand at the time. He knew she had been gifted but she disappeared as quickly as she arrived. They had kept in touch a few years after that but lost touch when she started college while he was still in his sophomore year of high school. Although she had sent him a letter when he was in Afghanistan although by then he completely forgot who the hell she was.

"Shit." Kate growled as she slouched down in her chair.

"Could things get any worse?" David moaned as he rubbed the back of his neck.

"I could always get worse and I have a feeling its about to get a whole lot worse." Kate muttered.


----------------------------------------------------------------
"Abby, I need you to process this." Kristy declared handing over the package wrapped in brown paper. Abby glanced down at the package and frowned. "Why is it addressed to you?"

"I don't know it was on the car when we came out of an interview." Kristy growled obviously frustrated. Abby pressed her lips together debating whether or not to tell her.

"Ugh…Kristy I have some bad news…" Abby began noticing a look of worry passing across the young woman's face.

"Spit it out Abbs."

"We know about your parents." She watched as the color drained from her friends face. She noticed the slight tremble in her hands oh this was not good. She had never seen her like this. Kristy was always composed and had an infuriating ability to remain calm in dyer situation but this had her trembling. Don was also rendered speechless he had never seen the woman so shaken.

"How?" she asked softly. Abby gulped and contemplated not telling her but one look at her she knew she had to tell her.

"A few years ago ballistic evidence from cold cases from the past twenty years was entered into databases to see if they linked with any current crime…."

"Right I remember the memo." Don nodded.

"Right the bullet matches a seventeen year old double homicide. A husband and wife were murdered in Fresno. Your parents." Abby all but whispered the last part then she watched the shaken woman turn.

"I guess you know now." She mumbled before she quickly fled the room. Don thanked Abby and asked her to make sure she processed the package before following.

"Kristy! Hold up." He exclaimed as he followed her form retreating down the hall toward the incident room.

"Don, leave me alone." She growled over her shoulder as she turned sharply into the incident room and was greeted by pitiful stares.

"Kristy I'm sorry…" Tony began to offer her condolences but she held her hand up cutting him off.

"Wonderful! Where's Gibbs?" she asked her bravado crumbling.

"Interrogation." McGee answered immediately down casting his eyes. Her eyes narrowed at her files on the table. Shaking her head sadly her ponytail bobbing. She had been afraid of this. The pitiful looks their guilty expressions. Well screw it. Pivoting on her heel she headed for the door when Don grabbed her arm. She turned her wounded gaze on him and slipped his arm from his grasp and left.

"Damnit I hate it when you're right." Tony tossed at Kate who smiled sadly before standing. "I'll right I'll make a breakfast run what would you guys like?" Kate asked stretching out her back and grabbed a note pad from the desk and jotted down the requests.

"I'll come with you." Tony offered already standing and shrugging into his suit jacket. Kate smiled and nodded and let Tony lead her from the room already knowing what the Director, Gibbs, Kristy and Abby would want.


----------------------------------------------------------------
Gibbs nearly ripped off the door to interrogation and glared down at the Agent who dared to disrupt him.

"What?" he snapped.

"Abby told me Gibbs. My- my parents murder is back." She stated softly and Gibbs softened immediately.

"I'm sorry." He offered. Her lips quirked.

"Apology is a sign of weakness." She murmured.

"Not in this case." He contradicted her. Shaking her head she reached down and unclipped her shield and gun.

"I'm sorry Gibbs. I- I quit." She muttered and was surprised to see she stunned her boss. Taking the opportunity she shoved the items into his hand and left quickly before he could recover.


----------------------------------------------------------------
The ride thus far had been done in silence. Tony couldn't take it anymore and veered sharply into an empty parking lot ignoring his sputtering partner he put the car in park and took the keys out of the ignition.

"What the hell are you doing?" Kate cried in outrage.

Tony looked at her in disbelief. "What do you think?"

"I really wouldn't know, DiNozzo why don't you enlighten me?" she growled flinging her seatbelt off.

"We almost kissed Katie. Why are you ignoring it?" he asked his voice holding pain and frustration causing her to look at him in utter surprise. Had she really hurt him when she said it was nothing? She stared into his green eyes and what she saw scared her. She had hurt him it was blatantly there along with something else she couldn't quite place.

"We didn't kiss Tony." She offered weakly. Tony growled under his breath and slammed his hands on the wheel in frustration.

"Then why didn't you pull away?" he demanded.

"I did!" she argued.

"Only when Ziva sneezed. So tell me Katie if she hadn't shown up would you have pulled away?" he asked slowly closing the distance between their lips. Kate smiled in spite of herself. "No, I wouldn't have." She managed to whisper before his lips were on hers. Nothing could have prepared her for this. She had kissed enough men but none of those had been so incredibly powerful. It was almost like the world stopped spinning and all that existed was them. She could almost feel her once frozen unreachable heart begin to thaw. It that moment it hit her. For so long she felt her heart was frozen but the truth was somehow he had weaseled his way into her life and into her heart. Pulling back she smiled and wiped a smudge of lipstick off his lips.

"After this case I will be expecting a date." Tony grinned at her words and kissed her once more before inserting the key back in the ignition and pulled out of the lot. Knowing this time was different. There would be no more flings and one night stands some time in the last three years he had grown up and this time he knew was for real.


----------------------------------------------------------------
Gibbs sighed as walked toward the incident room at least that bastard Wasp took his attorney's advice, and gave up his partner while that was good thing he also had a bigger problem. For some reason Kristy got it in her head that instead of just recusing herself from the case she had to flat out quit. If she thought he was going to except her resignation she had another thing coming.

"McGee, do you have a Geoffrey Galloway on any of the lists?" Gibbs asked slamming the gun and ID on the table. McGee leafed through the LUDS and nodded. "Yea, Wasp called Jeff Galloway on February 10th of this year."

Colby frowned when he noticed the gun and shield on the table something had gone wrong.

"Whose badge is that?" Colby questioned and Gibbs sighed.

"Kristy quit." He answered simply and McGee gawked and Don cursed.

"And you're accepting?" McGee asked aghast.

"Hell no." Gibbs answered. McGee snickered to himself. Kristy would be back pissing off suspects within a day's time.


----------------------------------------------------------------
Abby started open mouthed at the plasma screen this was insane. This case kept going from bad to worse. Growling she slammed her gloved hands down on the metal table attracting frightened glances from the other workers in her area.

"What?" she snapped instead of answering they quickly turned back to their work.

"Gibbs gotta find Gibbs." She muttered to herself as she quickly exited the lab. She nearly collided with Colby as he walked down the hall his nose in a file.

"Whoops sorry." She apologized making an effort not to drool.

"No harm done." He offered her a small smile and sighed and snapped the file closed.

"Have you seen Kristy?" he questioned rubbing his forehead.

Abby shook her head her black pigtails waving. "No, not for about an hour. Which reminds me the package she received was a video…its bad and I need to find Gibbs, have you seen him?" she asked looking around wildly.

"Incident room. Why what's going on?" he asked but she just shook her head and sprinted off Colby following behind her.

"Gibbs, you have to come with me there is something you need to see." Abby said poking her head into the incident room. Gibbs sighed and collected Kristy's shield and gun before following.

"What have you got?" he asked as they walked quickly down the hall McGee and David following behind them.

Kate and Tony chose that moment to step of the elevator holding three brown paper bags. Exchanging confused glances they followed the group of stricken and exhausted agents.

"Don and Kristy brought this to me about an hour ago. I lifted on thumb print ran it through AFAIS no match. So I popped the tape in and this came up." She trailed off as her fingers flew across the keyboard and the video popped up.

You'll remember me when the west wind moves
Upon the fields of barley
You'll forget the sun in his jealous sky
As we walk in fields of gold

The footage that flowed across the screen had to be at least seven years old. It seemed to be a dance competition. Kristy was dancing with a younger man around her age. Doing what seemed to be the foxtrot. Then the picture changed to photograph stills. From Kristy's time with NCISRA at various crime scenes.

So she took her love, for to gaze awhile
Upon the fields of barley
In his arms she fell as her hair came down
Among the fields of gold

Shots of her at the firing range with Mike Rollins and who appeared to be her sister. The pictures changed once again to what looked like the student union of CalSci. She was beaming her hair was darker at the time. Gibbs' gut clenched as he watched.

Will you stay with me, will you be my love
Among the fields of barley
We'll forget the sun in his jealous sky
As we lye in fields of gold

Back to her dancing this time she was doing what appeared to be the jive this time with Toby. To a wedding of Megan and Larry. Then stills of Abby, Kate, Ziva, and Kristy at a small bar Tony recognized as Eddie's. Then words appeared

She's Not the only one I want anymore…

Tony's hands clenched around the bag in his hands. If someone hurt Kate he would rip him limb from limb. No one would hurt Kate Todd again not while he was still breathing.

See the west wind move like a lover so
Upon the fields of barley
Feel her body rise when you kiss her mouth
Among the fields of gold

The slide show continued but now it wasn't about Kristy anymore. Kate's pictures flickered by as the music played on. This bastard was sick. He seemed to have been focused on Kristy for years. Then he all of a sudden changed.

I never made promises lightly
And there have been some that I've broken
But I swear in the days still left
We'll walk in fields of gold
We'll walk in fields of gold

Don side eyed Tony the man looked livid. He knew the feeling this video was having a sickening effect on him. Sighing he watched as the video changed again. This was truly insane they really had a twisted bastard on their hands.

Many years have passed since those summer days
Among the fields of barley
See the children run as the sun goes down
Among the fields of gold

The camera panned around a living room an apartment it seemed. He focused on pictures. One of Charlie, Kristy, and Larry what seemed to be years ago. Followed by Megan and Larry's wedding picture then onto a bookcase with criminal profiling textbooks. Followed by a bedroom a woman's sleeping form came into view. The camera zoomed in on the face showing Kristy tucked under the covers a gloved hand entered the screen and tucked some hair behind her ear.

You'll remember me when the west wind moves
Upon the fields of barley
You can tell the sun in his jealous sky
When we walked in fields of gold

Then the apartment changed again. In the living room the ‘unsub' focused on pictures. One of Abby and Kate sat on the mantel above the fire place another of Kate, McGee, and Ziva. The final photo was of Kate and Tony at the NCIS Holiday Ball. The view slowly changed and a bedroom came into the frame. Another brunette lying on top of the covers. The butt of a gun poked out from the pillow beside her. Then the view of the face Kate Todd. Sound asleep still in her work garb. This bastard had truly just stepped over the line. Then the finale shot white words across the black screen.

Now I want them both…
Rock-a-bye-baby by LivStabler
Disclaimer: I don't own ‘Because of You' it belongs to Kelly Clarkson, Composers: Ben Moody; David Hodges; Kelly Clarkson. Record Label: RCA (Recording Company of America). Nor do I own ‘Rock a bye baby' I don't know who does I couldn't find anything….

A/N: All Tate fans I have an inkling will love this chapter. Very high on the fluff.

Chapter 7:

L.J. Gibbs was at a loss for words as he stood in the AV lab. Abby stood in front of him her face portraying her anxiety. He knew the feeling never before had a case struck so close to home. His hands clenched at the stainless steal table wishing that it was Galloway. No one messed with his team. His team was his family and after what happened with Shannon and Kelly he became even more protective of his own. He failed his wife and daughter he would not allow himself to fail again. It just wasn't an option. He had let Ari escape once and Kate almost lost her life and had resulted in Kristy being injured as well.

"Find Kristy and bring her in. Whether she likes it or not she's going into protective custody as is Kate." Gibbs stated finally letting his sore hands fall from the table. Kate's eyes narrowed at her boss. There was no way in hell she was going to be put into protective custody.

"There is no way in hell…." Kate began but Gibbs turned his face unfeeling.

"Yes, you are. It's an order Agent Todd. You will be placed in protective custody." Gibbs stated his tone leaving no room for argument.

Kate's hands clenched around the brown paper bag she despised being ordered around. In her line of work she never went against a direct order. That was one thing but she abhorred being ordered to do something that was ‘for her own good'. She was old enough to decide the risks she would and would not take. Ever since the whole Ari debacle Gibbs had wanted to keep her out of the line of fire as much he could.

While she appreciated the sentiment she was not one to be coddled. She came into this job with eyes wide open. She knew the danger and she didn't appreciate being sequestered to desk duty or protective custody. Counting to ten she let out a long breath. Pulling the top container out of the bag she set it on the table next to Abby and took the CAFF-Pow from the cup holder DiNozzo was holding. Abby beamed and all but lunged for her beverage of choice.

"You're the best Kate!" Abby grinned and also popped open the Styrofoam container and inhaled the delicious scent of waffles and opened the clear plastic that held her eating utensils.

"Did Kristy mention where she was going?" Kate questioned handing Gibbs his motor oil that he called coffee. Gibbs shook his head in the negative.

"I'll find her." Don volunteered and took the coffee Tony offered. Gibbs bit back a growl the Fed was getting way to chummy with his Agent, but right now was not the time to blow his top. They had to find Kristy before Galloway did. Kate was safe here until they found a suitable safe house. Now his biggest problem was finding Galloway before he could concoct a crazy ploy and then set it into action.


----------------------------------------------------------------
Don muttered under his breath as he stalked up the driveway toward the Fleinhardt home. Kristy wasn't answering her cell phone he kept getting her voice mail which wasn't helping him any. His stomach was in knots. What if he was too late? Pushing his sunglasses higher on his nose he pressed the doorbell. He could hear the distant chimes and waited for someone to open the door.

Tapping his foot against the brick step he pressed the glowing button again. Soon it became apparent no one was home. Pulling his cell phone from the holder on his belt he quickly dialed Megan's cell phone as he walked back to his SUV.

"Reeves." She answered her mouth stuffed full with food.

Don rolled his eyes. Anytime he called anymore she always had her mouth full he was beginning to think she was carrying a garbage disposal and not a baby.

"Megan, its Don, Have you seen Kristy?" he asked silently praying she had.

"Yeah, were all at your brother's. Why?"

"I'll explain later just keep her there. Tie her to the banister if you have to."

"Didn't know you were into that…but seriously she is my niece I don't need visuals." Megan joked.

Don rolled his eyes as he slid into his car and snapped his phone closed. He didn't know whether to kill Kristy or lock her in a cell until they apprehended Galloway. From what little he knew of Kristy she was going to kick like a steer, but she was not going to get out of this. She could kick and scream threaten him with bodily harm but she was going into protective custody.


----------------------------------------------------------------
Charlie Eppes was all smiles Amita had returned from her week long visit with her parents. She had almost immediately sat him down and talked him out of his depressive snit. They had spent a good portion of the early morning hours talking about everything and anything. Larry had spent the night after he had woken him from his nap in the garage and put him up in Don's old room for the night. Then around seven the door bell rang. At first he had been a bit miffed by the interruption until he came face to face with a crying Kristy.

She had explained to him that her parent's murder had resurfaced and how she quit her job because of it. He truly felt for the younger woman. She had also showed up with a rental car full of groceries. After her five minuet crying jag she had brought them in and stored them in the fridge before she went on a cleaning spree. He had gone upstairs for not even ten minuets and she was gone. At first he thought she went back to the hotel until he noticed her car in the driveway. He later found her in the garage mopping the concrete floor although that didn't really make sense to him.

Then she proceeded to organize the clutter by labeling boxes and stacking neatly. Then she started on his desk. Every slip of paper had a designated folder. After the garage was spotless she had dusted the living room and dinning room before doing a load of laundry, cleaned his room and organized his closet.

At first he had tried to stop her as had Amita but she ignored them. Now in less than two hours of her arrival his house practically sparkled. Then she commandeered his kitchen. Delicious aromas wafted through the house. Waking Alan from his slumber the older man was practically salivating as he stumbled down the stairs.

Larry hadn't been far behind and Megan had shown up in search of Larry. Except in Megan's current condition she refused to leave until she had one of everything her ‘favorite' niece was cooking. French toast had come out first followed by fruit salad, and then apple cinnamon pancakes, then frittatas, along with Mexican and Southwestern omelets, eggs benedict, followed by an assortment of breakfast meats and harsh browns and lastly stuffed Belgian waffles.

Megan Reeves- Fleinhardt was in heaven. She was enjoying her niece's cooking. She had tried to talk to her but Kristy had squelched her efforts so for right now she was enjoying the food. Don had momentarily interrupted her bliss but now she was looking foreword to the spectacle that was sure to ensue. She glanced up when the door opened and her eyes shot across the table to her niece. Show time.


----------------------------------------------------------------
Kate sighed and shifted on the small couch in the safe house. It was odd how bullet proof windows made a person feel safe. For safety reasons she and Kristy were in different safe houses miles apart. While it would be next to impossible for anyone to breech the security it was still a good idea to take precautionary measures. Pushing herself off the Champaign colored couch as made her way over to the small bookcase and browsed the titles.

She found a book by a little known author by the name of Sophie J. Walters occupied an entire shelf. Tim had told her about the book he was currently reading. Glancing at the titles she pulled out the copy of the book Tim had recommended ‘Finding Forgiveness'. She mid as well put her time to good use. At the very least she would know what the hell he was talking about. She glanced up when she heard Colby yawn. Tony had called him over while he ran out to the local market. The man insisted on making her dinner. It was adorable.

Colby also had his nose in a book. His suit jacket was draped across the back of a vacant chair. His emerald green dress shirt sleeves were unbuttoned and rolled up to his elbows exposing his tanned arms. She was just grateful the man had stopped asking her about Kristy. Flopping down on the couch she opened the hardcover book and flipped to the first chapter and became engrossed in the story. She only looked up again when the door was pushed open and Tony entered lugging grocery bags.

His hair was pointing in at least ten different directions. Smothering a chuckle she used the glossy flap as a bookmark and placed the book on the worn coffee table. Colby was already out of his seat and tugging on his jacket and pocketing his book.

"Thanks Colby." She smiled and he nodded before leaving quickly and slamming the door behind him.

Tony was grinning at her and she squinted in suspicion. He was up to something. "What?" she asked warily.

Tony chuckled at her suspicion. "I come bearing gifts." He swept his arms out at the brown bags. Kate cocked an eyebrow and eyed the bags critically. Slowly she padded across the carpeted floor and peaked in the bags that were on the small dinning room table. She furrowed her brow in confusion and pulled the silver lap top out of the bag.

"What's this for?" Tony smirked and took the computer from her. Opening the computer he waited momentarily for the screen to load. When it did Abby's face popped up.

"Hiya!" Abby giggled and waved. Kate smirked and waved back before shooting a grateful smile at Tony. He knew she would hate being cooped up.

"So I take it you're my fountain of information." Kate quipped and Abby rolled her eyes.

"As always Kate." Abby chided.

"Elf Lord!" Tony exclaimed from his place behind Kate. McGee cringed and turned from one of the computer stations.

"Tony, Hi Kate." McGee smiled briefly before turning back to his work.

"Hi McGee. So Abbs anything new happen?" she questioned sitting down on one of the dinning room chairs.

Abby bit her lip and looked away and she and Tim exchanged nervous glances. Kate's eyes narrowed as she glared at the very nervous lab tech. Abby chuckled nervously and tried to avoid Kate's menacing stare. She noticed Tony had disappeared from behind the severally pissed agent.

"Abby…" Kate growled and Abby heaved a heavy sigh.

"I'm not supposed to tell you." Abby muttered as she picked at her black nail polish.

"Abby I swear on DiNozzo's life I will come down there and punch it out of you!" Kate ranted causing the lab tech's eyes to widen and McGee to turn toward the screen in stunted silence. Abby cleared her throat knowing it was just nerves and pure frustration talking.

"We got another tape." Abby muttered softly. Kate closed her eyes tightly and dug her nails into her palms hard enough to draw blood. "I wanna see it." She whispered. Tony chose that moment to enter with a soda in his hand and glanced quizzically at his partner.

"See what?" he asked dropping down into the chair next to her and slinging an arm around the back of her chair.

"Abby got another tape." Kate replied her voice hallow and devoid of all emotion. Tony's grip tightened around the glass of water. He was going to tear this bastard apart piece by piece.

"Play the tape Abbs." Tony insisted.

Abby shook her head pigtails bobbing the black strands whipping her in the face. "No can do. Gibbs told me not to." Abby argued.

McGee scoffed "When has that ever stopped you before?"

"True." Abby conceded.

"Abby please."

"Fine!" Abby grumbled her fingers flew across the keys and the video popped up.

I will not make the same mistakes that you did

I will not let myself cause my heart so much misery

I will not break the way you did

You fell so hard

I've learned the hard way, to never let it get that far

Kate's gut clenched when footage of her and the team were on the rooftop. How did anyone ever get footage of this? She could see the camera pan around to show Ari his eye pressed to the sniper scope. The camera was quickly set down on the ground and her stalker attacked her attempted murder. Yet somehow the trigger was stilled pulled but instead of a direct hit the bullet just grazed her temple before imbedding in the concrete wall behind her.

Because of you

I never stray too far from the sidewalk

Because of you

I learned to play on the safe side

So I don't get hurt

She gasped as she watched herself tumble to the ground Tony and Gibbs followed quickly hitting the ground and taking cover. Tony was trying to keep her conscious as Gibbs scanned the area. Then the camera turned down at an unconscious Ari. A chuckle escaped the mad mans lips as he rolled Ari's limp body over the edge of the building and ducked into a stairwell. The sound of a loud crash in the background. Which Kate knew to be Ari's body landing on their car. She remembered how shaken McGee had been when they finally made it down the steps.

Because of you

I find it hard to trust

Not only me, but everyone around me

Because of you

I am afraid

As per the psycho's usual the screen changed. This time it was on Kristy as she lay on the cold cement floor blood flowing from her shoulder. Her eyes were closed in her unconscious state. Hair sprayed out against the gray floor. When the door hinges creak the man slipped inside a empty crate and filmed through a small hole. Gibbs' form sprinted across the room to his down agent and yelled for Tony, who was helping a bleeding Kate out of the building, to call and ambulance.

I lose my way

And it's not too long before you point it out

I cannot cry

Because I know that's weakness in your eyes

I'm forced to fake, a smile, a laugh

Every day of my life

My heart can't possibly break

When it wasn't even whole to start with

Then there were stills of Kristy lying in a hospital bed just after her surgery. To shots of the rest of the team in the hospital cafeteria. She wanted to know how this bastard could blend in so effortlessly. No one had seen him and she wanted to how and why.

Because of you

I never stray too far from the sidewalk

Because of you

I learned to play on the safe side

So I don't get hurt

Then the horrible walk down memory lane ended replaced by what looked like a closet. No windows only one door that was in view. A red light bulb burned in the lamp casting a eerie glow around the confined space. The lens zoomed in on various pictures that were tacked to the wall. A bouquet of daisies sat under the majority of her pictures a card tucked in between two of the steams. The only thing scrawled across the envelope was ‘Katie' then a queen sized bed and a ‘Welcome Home!' banner tacked up behind on the wall behind the bed. Quickly the man exited the room hoping she would see a normal living room that would give them some sort of clue. She had no such luck.

Because of you

I find it hard to trust

Not only me, but everyone around me

Because of you

I am afraid

In this room a blue bulb cast a deep blue haze across the room. More pictures came into view. Then a vase of Roses and Kristy's name scrawled sloppily across the envelope. Then rows of stuffed animals and teddy bears. Suddenly the music cut off and ‘rock-a-bye-baby' played softly in the room. Big fluffy letters spelled out Kristy behind the four poster bed, and a home made sign of ‘welcome home my little girl' hung on the wall. Then the screen went blank and Abby appeared again.

"Do we have any lead?" Kate asked her voice back to its normal tone. Abby nodded slightly.

"Well…" Tony prompted gruffly.

"On a hunch I accessed our database and compared Kristy's DNA to the DNA from Luis Wasp and it came back with a partial match. Probably and Uncle or cousin." Abby concluded. McGee's head poked back into view.

"Gibbs and Director Sheppard are in with him again." McGee added.

Tony snickered. "Huh…that ought' a push his buttons."


----------------------------------------------------------------
Kristy bit tongue to keep the dark curse at bay. Why in the hell was Don here? More than likely it was because Gibbs told him about her resigning. Normally she loved Gibbs' never-take-no-for-an-answer routine but she really wasn't in the mood for a pissing match. Uncle Larry seemed more confused than normal as he looked around the table with furrowed brows.

Kristy heaved a heavy sigh "Alright who sent you? Gibbs or Tony?"

Don sighed and snatched a piece of toast from his brother's plate. Charlie stood with a sigh and walked into the kitchen and fixed his brother a plate and shoved it at his older brother. Who sat down and picked at the meal.

"All I can tell you is I need to take you into custody." Don stated and looked up when a fork clattered onto a plate. His father was sitting there open mouthed utter shock written across his face.

"What are the charges?" Larry demanded and Don shook his head cursing his blunder.

"Protective custody." He amended but that still didn't wipe the puzzled expression off of Larry's face.

"Over my dead body." Kristy smiled brightly and sipped at her orange juice. Charlie groaned under his breath and exchanged worried glances with Amita and his father. Kristy didn't just do things on faith. If she didn't know what was going on in detail she dug her heels and refused to budge. Don was in for one hell of a fight. Shaking his head he cut into his omelet with his fork.

"You really don't have a choice." Don argued as he forked some eggs into his mouth. Kristy speared a grape wishing it was the man in front of her.

"The hell I don't." Kristy muttered.

"No you don't." Don reiterated.

"You know Donnie, I'm more resourceful than you think." Kristy smirked and cocked an eye brow.

Alan bit back a smirk it seemed his oldest boy had finally met his match. Maybe he would get grandchildren after all. Grinning at the though of little dark hair children scampering around Grandpa and Uncle Charlie's house. He was pulled out of his fantasy by Kristy's rather irritated voice. "Don, you can talk till your blue in the face. I'm not going I don't care if I have to knock you unconscious."


--------------------------------------------------------------
"Kate are you sure you're okay?" Tony asked as he twirled a piece of her dark hair around his index finger. Kate nodded her head against his chest and sighed contentedly. She played with a button on his dress shirt and yawned. She had ignored the majority of the movie that was playing on the screen. She was amazed at just how comfortable she was with Tony.

He didn't push her for sex. All he asked was that he was made to sleep on the lumpy sofa they currently occupied. She could deal with sharing a bed with him. He knew better than to try anything and even though she would never admit it she was scared. Scared that some how Galloway would get past all the security and grab either her or Kristy. After the whole thing with Ari she would do absolutely everything she could to escape him.

Yet somewhere deep down inside her she knew something was going to happen and it would not be good or foreseen.

She only hoped Gibbs wouldn't let them down.
Im Not your Agent by LivStabler
I know this is short but it a filler chapter I just wanted to post something for everyone.

Chapter 8:

"Put me down you ogre!" Don grunted when a fist connected with his back for such a little thing Kristy sure had a strong right hook. His arm tightened around the back of her knees to keep the squirming brunette from falling onto her head. She finally gave up on pounding on his back and had found a new target. He cursed darkly when she garbed his ear and twisted it.

He could hear Megan snickering from her place at the table as well as Charlie and his father. He had to admit the woman who was tossed across his shoulder never gave up. She still continued to struggle until he finally lost his grip and she tumbled off his shoulder. He spun around just in time to see her heading out the back door. Yanking open the front door he stumbled down the stairs and spotted her running toward her rental car. He was able to grab her by the waist and carried her kicking and cursing toward his waiting SUV.

Before she had time to slip away again he shoved her into the passenger seat and hurried around the car and slid into his seat before she had time to react and quickly locked the doors. Kristy snorted yea like she didn't know how to unlock a door and she was a seasoned pro when it came to jumping out of moving cars. When she was still working with NCISRA it used to be the only way to get out of the car when Mike was driving, but by the look of his current mood she wasn't going to push it she had proved her point, but then again. Flicking the lock on her door she tossed it open and jumped out.

………………………….

Kate sighed and snuggled into Tony's side while bringing the comforter up to her neck. This was bliss. Sleeping in late on a Saturday morning warm under the covers and a deliciously gorges man cuddle up next to her. Yes she could definitely get used to this. She cursed when some undistinguishable tune sounded from Tony's cell phone. Nudging him softly with her elbow she bit her lip to keep her laughter at bay. "Five more minuets mom." Tony whined.

Nudging him again "I'd like an number six with onions, extra cheese, pickles." He murmured.

"Tony!" she yelled and Tony shot up almost falling off the bed in the process and grabbed his cell phone.

"DiNozzo." He answered sleepily.

"What the hell took you so long?!" Ziva demanded.

Tony smiled sheepishly even though his boss couldn't see him. "Sorry Zi-vah I was a sleep."

"Whatever that's not why I called. Kristy disappeared."

Tony's aw dropped open. "Huh?"

"She apparently jumped out of Don's car and was able to get into her rental and take off." Ziva chuckled in spite of the situation.

Tony snickered "Told ‘ya she wouldn't go quietly." Tony bragged. "What happened?" Kate questioned and Tony held up a finger indicating for her to wait.

"Yes, you did, but Gibbs is on the war path. He's parked in Abby's lab demanding that she find her." Ziva finished her tone back to its normal surliness.

"Good luck with that. Have fun Zi-vah!" Tony smiled.

"DiNozzo don't you hang…."Ziva began but Tony snapped his phone shut.

………………..

"…on me." Ziva finished and glowered at her phone before tossing it on the table. She frowned when her phone rang and noted the name on the LCD and quickly ran to the lab. Gibbs looked up rather irritated when Ziva skidded into the room.

"Gibbs Kristy's calling me." Ziva stated pointing needlessly to her phone.

"Abby trace the call and put it on speaker." Gibbs ordered and Abby snatched the phone away from the agent and signaled Ziva to answer it as Abby flipped open the phone.

"David." Ziva answered calmly.

"Nice try Ziva." Kristy chuckled. "Hey Abbs, Gibbs."

Gibbs jaw tightened. "Where the hell are you?" he demanded.

"Somewhere safe…well going somewhere safe." Kristy answered nonchalantly.

"Agent you get here now. This is not up for debate you are going into protective custody." Gibbs snapped the stress finally taking its toll on him.

Kristy frowned. "I'm not your Agent anymore. You can't order me to do anything." Kristy objected.

Ziva watched wide eyed as Gibbs' face turned several different shades of red. "I'd have to except your resignation for you not to be my agent." Gibbs practically growled.

Kristy sighed "I don't care what you except Sir." Kristy added just to annoy him, "No one will find me where I'm going and neither will you because after this conversation. This phone will be at the bottom of the Pacific. Good-Bye Gibbs." She stated before her phone clicked off.

"Tell me you have a location." Gibbs growled.

Abby sighed "Yea, the Pacific Ocean."

"Then track the damn rental car!" Gibbs snapped.

……………………………

Tim McGee was a dead man it was that simple. If Gibbs found out…well he really didn't want to think about what Gibbs might do to him. When he had stepped out of the office to get a few hours sleep, breakfast and a shower he really didn't think he'd be sharing his rental car with Kristy Madison. He had made the mistake of answering an number he didn't know.

Kristy had a way of getting him to do just about anything. He feared her and she knew it and relished in the fact. So when she had asked him to pick her up from outside CalSci he had complied. At least she had paid for breakfast. Now he had the oh so wonderful job of hiding her location. He knew since Tony was guarding Kate that he didn't have to worry about him asking questions about his as Tony called ‘Probie Syndrome' hell it was now secret that when his was hiding something his left eye twitched, but it was the long winded corner that worried him.

He just popped up every now and then but he too was a familiar with ‘PS' and to make it worse Ziva and Abby both women had an uncanny ability for sensing when he was hiding or not telling them something. That's why he had so few secrets anymore. Abby would nag it out of him until he finally broke and Ziva, well Ziva would twist his wrist behind his back until he gave. Needless to say he liked Abby's method more. When did his co-workers become so damn nosey?

Now all he had to do was drop her at the airport. For the life of him he didn't know why he was doing this. The threat of bodily harm was one theory and maybe just a bit of sympathy. He knew Kristy probably better than most of the team. She had been there to listen as he got out his fears with the Ari situation, but she also opened up to him.

Never about her parents but about her Uncle Larry and how she liked to do things on her own terms he understand that. That's why he hoped like hell she would forgive him for what he was about to do. He sighed and glanced at the road and fiddled with his wrist watch.

………………….

Abigail Sciuto didn't like to be out smarted not by anyone. Grumbling she slurped at her caffeinated beverage and tried to locate Kristy's rental car. Although it didn't help that she had Don Eppes pacing behind her asking every minuet if she had anything. She glanced up alarmed when a low siren sound whistled through the lab. Her hand instinctively grabbed her cell phone from her lab coat pocket and flipped open the device.

She cursed when she saw black bat logo with a frown moving along the grid.

"GIBBS!" she yelled knowing the older man wasn't far. Seconds later Gibbs flew in with Jenny and Ziva behind him.

"What?"

"McGee's sending out a distress call." Abby wailed as she shoved the high tech gadget at her technology challenged boss. She quickly relayed the location to Gibbs and rushed him out the door.

……………………..

By the time Gibbs and Ziva arrived at the location the rental car was smashed into a hydrant and McGee was sitting on the curb across from the new fountain display he created. Kristy was next to him hands cuffed behind her back and his blue silk tie shoved in her mouth. McGee was sporting a split lip and blackened eye as well as a semi bloody nose. No doubt the handy work of the seething agent next to him.
We'll Meet Again... I have no Doubt by LivStabler
Disclaimer: I don't own ‘I Never Promised You a Rose garden' Artist/Band: Martina McBride Lyrics for Song: Rose Garden Lyrics for Album: Timeless. I do not know who the composers couldn't find it. But not mine.

A/N: This is the last chapter I'm sad to say! Well the sequel that will combine NCIS/Numb3ers/and Criminal Minds. Coming soon to a fanfic form near you!


----------------------------------------------------------------
Chapter 9: We'll meet again…I have no doubt.

Kristy was going to kill Timothy McGee slowly and painfully glaring at the man who was now scuffing the two of his shoe against the curb and refusing to meet her gaze. Finally Ziva took pity on her and took the gage out of her mouth.

"McGee, you son-of-a-bitch I'm going to kill you!" she hissed. Gibbs fought the urge to roll his eyes. Ziva on the other hand just laughed. Ziva was in a much better mood now that her flu was pretty much gone. She grumbled when Kristy fought her as she tried to drag her to the waiting car, but the stubborn woman was busy trying to attack McGee. Ziva had just gotten the stubborn Agent under control when a loud crack echoed through the area along with a cry of pain. Ziva lost her balance when Kristy collapsed and fell with her.

Gibbs automatically crouched down behind the car and returned fire at the masked assailant. He grunted when a bullet struck him in the shoulder. Pain seared down his arm but continued to return fire. He watched as the man jerked when a bullet connected with his chest. When the gun fell from the man's hand Gibbs was already out from behind the car and half way across the street. Kicking the gun away he crouched down using his uninjured hand to check for a pulse. He found none. Pulling off the ski mask he sighed it was definitely the man from the picture. The only differnce was the lifeless blue eyes.

"GIBBS!" McGee yelled from his position next to Ziva his hands were pressed against Kristy. The older man's blue eyes widened as he noticed the thick crimson blood that was flowing from the Agent's side. Numbly he reached for the radio clipped to his belt.

"Agent down; Agent down!" he heard his own voice yell and the static reply from the dispatcher. His feet moved of their own accord as he crouched down next to McGee. Kristy gazed at him with pain laced eyes.

"Why couldn't you just trust me?" she hissed in pain before she passed out. The gentle rise and fall of her chest showed she was alive. She would be fine and now she hated him.


----------------------------------------------------------------
Tick tock tick tock. The sound was really beginning to drive him crazy. Tony sighed and scrubbed a hand over his face.
"How did this happen?" Kate demanded as she paced the length of the carpeted waiting room floor.

"I happened." McGee muttered bitterly from his place staring out the window.

Abby sighed "Timmy it wasn't your fault." Tim snorted shocking Abby for a moment.

"Who in this room actually believes that?" Tim hissed. Tony's eyebrows shot up. He had never heard the Probie so self-loathing before. Its not like he put the gun up to her side and pulled the trigger.

"Tim." Abby began again but Tony laid a hand on her arm and shook his head.

"Leave him be Abbs."

Abby relented for the time being and took to gnawing on her nails. Tony sighed as Kate continued her pacing. Kate didn't get nervous easily but when she was she never sat still. As if constantly doing something would make the clock tick any faster. Both Gibbs and Kristy were in surgery had been for almost an hour. Ziva was twisting a magazine as a way to relive her frustration.

"Someone should call Kristy's uncle." Kate said suddenly and stopped pacing.

"Colby already called him." Tony interjected.

Kate frowned "Why would Colby call him?"

"He and David took over the scene." Ziva shrugged and continued to mutilate her magazine. Kate nodded seemingly excepting the answer and started pacing again. "What if something happens to them?" Abby questioned thickly. The room was silent as if everyone was pondering how disastrous this could turn out. Ducky was the one to come to his sense first. "Gibbs is strong Abigail. I'm sure he'll be fine and Kristy she's too stubborn to go out like this. They'll be fine dear." He smiled softly and patted her shoulder. Once again silence engulfed the room.

Tick tock tick tock tick.


----------------------------------------------------------------
"Where is my niece?" Larry Fleinhardt demanded as he Megan, Don, Charlie, and Alan entered the small waiting area.
Tony was the first to respond. "She's still in surgery." Larry shook his head as his eyes once again filled with tears.

"I knew this was going to happen. Why the hell couldn't she just listen and become a psychology professor, or stuck with dancing? Why did she have to be an agent?" he demanded of no one in particular as he paced the room along side Kate.

"She's a good Agent." Jenny Sheppard piped in. Larry paid her no heed and continued to pace and rant to himself. Megan propped her feet up on a near by chair her face contouring. Oh no not now Megan thought as the cramping intensified. Like they didn't have enough going on. Settling back in the chair she prayed it was only the four burritos she had for lunch.

Abby frowned and raised an eyebrow and gaped "You're not in labor are you?" Abby asked and that stopped Larry dead in his tracks.

"No." Megan denied although nature had other ideas as a wet spot began to form on her maternity pants. "Well that answers that question." Abby mumbled.

"Oh God we need to get you to a hospital!" Larry cried trying to pull his wife from his seat. Charlie shook his head "You're already in a hospital." He reminded the older man.

"Right." Larry nodded and ran in search of a nurse. When he returned he had a nurse in light pink scrubs following behind him pushing a wheelchair.

After Larry had Megan situated he let the young nurse steer her toward the bank of elevators. "I want a report as so as she gets out of surgery." Larry stated softly and Charlie nodded then the older man turned slowly and followed his wife.


----------------------------------------------------------------
"Suction." Dr. Ginger said to the nurse next to him. The nurse did as she was asked and the surgeon continued his search for the wayward bullet. The man on his table was giving him more problems than he ever dreamed possible. His blood pressure kept see-sawing his heart rate seemed to do the same.
The man before him had lost a significant amount of blood by refusing to be treated by the paramedics and insisted on driving himself to the hospital. Where he tried to enter the waiting area only to be drug into a curtained off area by a very determined nurse. Although by then he had left a trail of blood from the parking lot all through the ER. He had lost at least two pints of blood.

As it was he was going to need a transfusion. Thankfully one of his agents had been a match and had donated blood to her stubborn boss.

"BP's falling."

"Heart rates declining we're losing him!" another nurse called just before a loud wail sounded through the room.

"He's in V-Fib!"

"Start compressions; Brenda bring in the crash cart." He ordered. Brenda wordlessly handed over the paddles and squirted jell on the surface.

"Charging one hundred jewels!" he said as he lowered the paddles "Clear." He ordered and shocked his heart.

"Nothing!" Millicent yelled from her position.

"Charging two hundred jewels. Clear!" again Gibbs' body convulsed and the monitors kept sounding.

"Charging three hundred jewels! Clear!" his body convulsed once more and a small blip sounded through the room.

"Sinus rhythm's back. Heart rates climbing." Millicent smiled.

Dr. Ginger sighed "Welcome back Mr. Gibbs."


----------------------------------------------------------------
When Derrick Ginger stepped out of the OR he was just glad his patient hadn't died on the table. Granted Mr. Gibbs was not out of the woods yet, but it was a start. Walking toward the waiting area he sighed when he saw the looks of worry on the occupants faces.
"Good afternoon, I'm Derrick Ginger I'm looking for the family of…" he paused and glanced down at the metal chart in his hand, "L.J. Gibbs."

"Me! Abby Sciuto, is he alright?!" she demanded seizing the doctor by his lab coat.

"Well Miss. Sciuto, this chart lists a Jennifer Sheppard as the emergency contact." Derrick paused, "Is she present?" he questioned.

"I'm Jenny." The red head nodded.

"Miss. Sheppard if I may have a moment." He asked gesturing out into the hall. Jenny shook her head and held up her hand. "No we're all family here."
"Alright, Mr. Gibbs made it through surgery, but there were some complications. He crashed on the table, but we were able to stabilize him. We have him on an IV that is running more blood into his system. He is by no means out of the woods. The next few hours are crucial." He sighed. Abby let out a wail and buried her head on Tony's shoulder and Kate did the same with the other.

Jenny paled and sat back in her chair. Her eyes clouded with tears. "What are his chances?" she asked softly.

"As long as everything goes well tonight. Then I'm completely confident he'll make a full recovery." Derrick answered and stood from his seat.

"Can we see him?" Abby questioned softy. Dr. Ginger shook his head sadly.

"He's listed in critical condition only family is allowed."

"But we are family!" Abby shrieked and Derrick sighed.

"Only immediate family is permitted." He smiled sadly.

"What about Kristy?" Don questioned from his seat in between Charlie and his father. Derrick paused. "I believe Dr. Selby is performing her surgery." He answered before his pager started beeping. "Excuse me." He murmured and quickly left in search of a phone. Abby sighed and swiped at the tears that rolled steadily down her face. When the hell did everything become so complicated?


----------------------------------------------------------------
Colby Granger was at his wits end. When he and David had arrived at the scene they had immediately been meet by the coroner. Apparently the elder man found the deceased's car keys and was now searching for the car himself. David had been able to calm the older man down and get him to perform the pre-limb on the corpse. He had found the car with very little trouble thanks to the panic button on the key ring. Although what he found in the car had not been encouraging.
No it had angered him. Ever since Kristy had dropped back into his life he had been thrown for a loop. Here was the woman who was now becoming a little sister to him, and no one messed with his little sister. The pictures of the whole Kate and Kristy littered the back seat but the ones on the passenger seats made his hair stand on end.

Pictures of Don, Gibbs, McGee, and Tony had been they were paper clipped together and a small blue note that said ‘targets'. This must have meant Kristy being shot was a mistake. Galloway was going after threats to his ultimate plan. He wanted Kate and Kristy and these four men stood in his way.

Sighing he let David take the pictures from him and slip them into evidence bags. He was glasd this SOB was dead.


----------------------------------------------------------------
Dr. Robert Selby sighed as he made a few notes on his patients chart. Christina had made through surgery with out complications. Looking though her chart he looked for her emergency contact. Noting the name he deposited the chart in the wall slot outside the patient's room and headed for the waiting area. When he reached the small room he found it filled to capacity.

"I'm Dr. Selby I……" he was able to get out before he was cut off.

"How's Kristy?" McGee demanded shouldering away from the window.

"I'm looking for a Dr. Donald Mallard." He finished ignoring the man's question for the time being.

"I'm he." Ducky raised his hand, "Please young man speak freely were all family here." Robert nodded and claimed a vacant seat.

"Miss. Madison is doing well. She made it through surgery with out complication I expect her to make a full recovery." The young doctor smiled.


----------------------------------------------------------------
I beg your pardon I never promised you a rose garden
Along with the sunshine there's gotta be a little rain sometime
When you take you gotta give so live and let live and let go
oh oh oh oh I beg your pardon I never promised you a rose garden

"There's no heel leads in Latin dancing." Kristy chided from her seat in the small club. Gibbs was next to her fiddling with his stiff blue sling. After two weeks in the hospital both of them had been released much to the nurses' pleasure. It was no secret neither of the two injured people lied to be coddled. Now everything was seemingly back to normal the NCIS team was scheduled to fly out of LAX the following morning. This was their good-bye dinner of sorts. Kate chuckled from her seat next to Tony as they watched Toby try to teach Charlie how to do the Cha-Cha-cha.

I could promise you things like big diamond rings
But you don't find roses growin' on stalks of clover
So you better think it over
Well, if sweet talking you could make it come true
I would give you the world right now on a silver platter

Kristy Madison took the time to think back over the past few weeks. Relationships such as Tony and Kate's had blossemed while her's flared but ultimetly failed. Somehow in her bones she knew she would be back here again one day, but deep down she knew that her brief 'romance', if it could even be called that, with Don was over. In retrospect she knew it was doomed to fail but that still didn't make it any less painfull. She had fallen in love with the man twice and had ended up with a shartted heart yet again. Yes, tonight her dream of being with Don would fade into the back of her mind. Never to resurface again.

But what would it matter
So smile for a while and let's be jolly love shouldn't be so melancholy
Come along and share the good times while we can

Megan and Larry had opted to stay home and had said their good-byes before hand. Now that little Aurora was born they couldn't leave her with a sitter so soon. Kristy had told her Aurora was named by her father after the aurora borealis not that she found that very far fetched.

I beg your pardon I never promised you a rose garden
Along with the sunshine there's gotta be a little rain sometime
I beg your pardon I never promised you a rose garden

The sounds of laughter coming from her co-workers warmed her heart. Only days before they had been on the edge of their seat with worry over Gibbs' condition, but once again the stubborn bastard in him won. Now it seemed Gibbs and Jenny had rekindled an old romance. Not that she was in any way surprised.


I could sing you a tune and promise you the moon
But if that's what it takes to hold you I'd just as soon let you go
But there's one thing I want you to know
You'd better look before you leap still waters run deep
And there won't always be someone there to pull you out
And you know what I'm talking about
So smile for a while and let's be jolly love shouldn't be so melancholy
Come along and share the good times while we can

In away this seemed like a good-bye, but deep down Caitlin Todd knew this group would be together again. She had absolutely no doubts.

I beg your pardon I never promised you a rose garden
Along with the sunshine there's gotta be a little rain sometime...
I beg your pardon I never promised you a rose garden
Along with the sunshine there's gotta be a little rain sometime.


Sequal called Howling Winds of Change
This story archived at http://www.ncisfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=1986