A Stranger in Town by Albert Bester
Summary: British secret sevice agent John Drake is sent by his superiors to Washington DC to help NCIS track down a terrorist. Things do not go according to plan.
Categories: Gen Characters: Original character
Genre: Alternate Universe
Pairing: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 25 Completed: Yes Word count: 25954 Read: 97574 Published: 06/03/2007 Updated: 06/09/2007
Story Notes:
Sci-fi & popular myth.

1. A Stranger in Town by Albert Bester

2. Part 2 by Albert Bester

3. part 3 by Albert Bester

4. Part 4 by Albert Bester

5. Part 5 by Albert Bester

6. Part 6 by Albert Bester

7. Part 7 by Albert Bester

8. Part 8 by Albert Bester

9. Part 9 by Albert Bester

10. part 10 by Albert Bester

11. Part 11 by Albert Bester

12. Part 12 by Albert Bester

13. Part 13 by Albert Bester

14. Part 14 by Albert Bester

15. Part 15 by Albert Bester

16. Part 16 by Albert Bester

17. Part 17 by Albert Bester

18. Part 18 by Albert Bester

19. Part 19 by Albert Bester

20. Part 20 by Albert Bester

21. Part 21 by Albert Bester

22. Part 22 by Albert Bester

23. Part 23 by Albert Bester

24. part 24 by Albert Bester

25. part 25 by Albert Bester

A Stranger in Town by Albert Bester
Author's Notes:
British secret sevice agent John Drake is sent by his superiors to Washington DC to help NCIS track down a terrorist. Things do not go according to plan.
Part 1.

It had been a long flight from London, sleep was a distant memory and coffee was an essential traveling companion. John Drake disembarked from the airplane and located his minimal baggage. The airport had been a complete mad house and the taxi driver was a deeply unhappy person. His attitude had been strongly reflected in his tip.

After showing his ID to the security guard at NCIS HQ he had been directed to the office of one Leroy Jethro Gibbs. Thus far the conversation was not going well.
He was standing in front of Gibbs' desk with a look of total disbelief on his face.

"What the hell use have I got for British Intelligence?" asked Gibbs.

"Perhaps your superiors feel that British Intelligence is better than none at all?"

Behind Drake both Tim McGee & Tony DiNozzo looked at each other and sought cover behind their desks.

Gibbs smiled very slightly, looked at Drake and said, "Look, I have all the help I can deal with at the moment. But if you want to help us there is a parallel agency in this building that could profit from your help." Picking up a pen Gibbs scribbled on a piece of paper. "Go see her, tell her what you told me, if you include the last part I'd duck if I were you."

Drake stood wondering if this was some sort of joke.

"DiNozzo! What have you got for me?" Gibbs barked. Pausing, he looked at Drake. "You still here?"

"No, I suppose not," answered Drake picking up his hold all and heading for the elevator.

As the elevator door opened, Dr Mallard walked almost headlong into Drake.

Ducky looked at Drake, "John? John Drake? I haven't seen you for…too long." Clasping Drake by the hand and shaking it vigorously, he asked, "What the devil are you doing here?"
Drake, unable to hide his pleasure at seeing an old friend, briefly explained, "Those higher up sent me to assist NCIS in the tracking down of one Ari Haswari."

"That bastard..." adds Ducky.

"Yes, I am aware of his reputation and many other things about him. But Special Agent Gibbs feels that my help is surplus to requirements and has sent me off to something called ‘NCTC'?"

"National Counterterrorism Centre, headed by Gillian Roberts." Ducky translated. "They have an office in this building you know."

"Yes, well I'm going to check in there now. Then report to my home office, to see what they think. Perhaps we could catch up later Ducky, some real food and a drink perhaps?" Drake handed Ducky a card and rushed to the elevator before the doors closed again.

Moments later he walked into an open plan office. There were two young female agents working at their desks, one with a stuffed duck on her desk.

"Um, excuse me, who is in charge here? I have a letter of introduction…" The women looked at each other then at Drake
"I'll understand if you don't want me around, but you could read my letter then tell me to PO and I will." Putting his bag down, he handed the letter over and waited for a response. Lack of sleep and jet lag were doing their work in unison.
Since Drake had come direct from the airport no arrangements for accommodation had yet been made and the last coffee he had drunk was on the airplane. In short he felt like he could sleep on the edge of a razor blade, since sleep did not appear to be an option any where.

"Ok, I'll let you two discuss what to do about me in private." He said shifting uneasily from one foot to another. "Can you tell me where I can find a decent large cup of coffee? And a phone or computer I could use? Would you two like coffee?"
He felt like a schoolboy that had just asked the teacher if he could be excused.

After receiving instruction as to the location and formulation of coffee required Drake made for the elevator, which proved to be a very good place for meeting people. As he entered he found himself face to face with a vision of Goth loveliness and for once in his life he was almost speechless.

"Hi, I'm John Drake." He said as smoothly as he possibly could.

"Oh, you're Ducky's friend." She said.

"Err yes, you have me at a disadvantage. You are?" he enquired, entranced.

"I'm Abby Sciuto." She introduced herself brightly.

"It is a very great pleasure to meet you, very great." The elevator stopped and the doors opened.

Drake found it almost impossible to take his eyes off of Abby, but he forced himself to put one foot in front of another and walked straight into Ziva. His train of thought was totally derailed by the scalding hot coffee spilled down his leg.

"Officer David, it is a pleasure to meet you face to face finally," said Drake looking into Ziva's eyes.

"Commander Drake, long time no see. Sorry about your trousers." She replied with a smile.

"Think nothing of it, coffee is supposed to wake one up and it's just John Drake these days. I have retired from the Navy." He replied in an attempt to appear casual.

"Sounds like an Intelligent thing to do," said Ziva stepping into the elevator as the doors were starting to close.

"Damn! That's all I need. Bloody Mossad. This day is getting better and better." Drake stormed out of the building mumbling under his breath.


Some time later he returned to the building in a slightly better frame of mind carrying three large coffees and a bag of chocolate chip cookies; it never hurts to ply women with chocolate. The elevator doors opened as he was approaching and there in front of him was Abby & Ducky. "Hi you two, how's it going? You spending the day in the elevator today Abby?"

"No it just feels like it. I did spend a day in the elevator once." She said in a matter of fact sort of way.

"Was it stuck?" asked Drake.

"Nope." She answered.

"Have you found somewhere to stay yet John?" asked Ducky.

"Not yet, I've only just worked out where the coffee is at," replied Drake, unable to disguise his tiredness.

"Then you must come and stay with mother and I. She will be so pleased to see you again." insisted Ducky with a twinkle in his eye.

"Is she still…? In a world of her own?" asked Drake uncomfortably.

"Yes. But there will be a lock on your bedroom door this time. You should be safe." Ducky handed him a card with his address and phone number. "See you later then."

Abby and Ducky got out of the elevator on NCIS & Gibbs' floor and Drake went on up to NCTC to discover his fate.
He was told he would be tolerated for the moment and there was a desk in the corner he could use. The coffee and cookies were received with some gratitude, but not much.

"Life, don't talk to me about life," he muttered sitting down and picking up the phone. After a relatively short conversation with his boss in London, John Drake concluded that he had seriously upset somebody above him in British Intelligence. He had clearly established that the person he was sent to help did not want his help. The people he had been foisted onto as help were definitely considered well down the pecking order as far as Federal and Law enforcement agencies were concerned. In short he felt like somebody was trying to get rid of him but could not be bothered to shoot him. All in all not a good start to a new assignment.
His new desk was spartan but adequate. If he leaned back in his chair he could see a window even if he could not see out of it. He was tired and his trousers were suspiciously stained.

"Damn that Ziva!" He grabbed his bag, announced to who ever wanted to listen, "I'm going to get some sleep I will be back in the morning." He looked at the time and added, "Ok later this morning." He left the building and went to find a cab at 2 AM.
His body clock was shot, but he had phoned Ducky from the cab and thankfully the Duckman was waiting for him with a large scotch.
They sat and talked for a while then Ducky showed Drake to the guest room and left him to organise himself and get some sleep. After showering Drake checked that his bedroom door was locked and then put a chair on an angle under the door knob, better safe than sorry…
End Notes:
Sci-fi & popular myth.
Part 2 by Albert Bester
He awoke at 0530, "Damn! A whole hour and a half!" he growled as he dragged himself out of bed and headed for the bathroom. He emerged ten minutes later and dressed. Pulling on his jacket, he went down the stairs to see if Ducky was up and about yet.


He entered the kitchen and found Mrs. Mallard sitting at the kitchen table drinking tea.


"Good morning John, won't you join us for a cup of tea?" She asked brightly.


"Oh, is Donald up?" asked Drake looking around.


"No, silly boy I mean my new friend Harry," said Mrs. Mallard motioning for Drake to look behind him.


As he turned he felt something hit him and the room spun and went dark.
An undetermined amount of time had passed and consciousness came knocking at Drakes head; well pounding would be a better way of describing it. As he woke and tried to move, he rapidly found that he had been tied very securely to a chair. Looking up he saw Ari standing in front of him.

"John it's good to see you again." Ari smiled. "Sorry to have to do this but I thought it would be better if we could talk with out resorting to violence"


Drake struggled against his bonds. "It's all very well for you to say that after you have hit me on the head." growled Drake.

"I didn't expect you to allow me to tie you voluntarily." Ari oiled.


"What have you done with Ducky and Mrs. Mallard? Bastard!" Drake was struggling with his bonds and now fear for his friend and his friend's mother's safety.


"Now, now John. They are ok, asleep and locked in their rooms." Ari smiled. "I just wanted this opportunity to talk with you and bring you up to speed on few things."

"You know I can't, won't believe anything you say. Damn it you bastard, if you told me the sky was blue I'd seek a second opinion!"

Ari's smile faded for a moment and he shrugged slightly. "Ok, just consider that you have been set up. You were sent here to get in the way of ongoing investigations, not help." Sitting down and drinking some tea Ari continued, "Any information that you receive from your home sources will be unreliable."

"Oh come on you SOB, why would I believe any thing you tell me?"


"Well John Drake that is for you to work out my friend."

And with that Ari was gone.


Some time later Ducky appeared looking a little groggy and untied Drake whilst reassuring him that Mrs. Mallard was ok, rather annoyed about her new friend Harry.


Drake filled Ducky in on Harry actually being Ari and what he had told him. Ducky tried to reassure Drake that "the bastard was just playing mind games".

Some considerable time later after Drake had told his story to Gibbs at NCIS HQ he left the office and started to walk to NCTC office. He was not looking forward to telling Director Roberts (or her duck) that he had spent some time with Ari and not shot him. Perhaps picking up coffee on the way would be a good move….

-------

Drake was not a happy man. This was normal. Christmas was always a problem. In his line of work, friends were few and far between and after his recent experience with Ari he did not want to risk the life of the only friend he had here. He had located and rented an apartment close to the office and was expecting to spend the holiday season alone, probably working. The office was decorated, it depressed him.


He assumed that his background check had come back ok, since nobody had kicked him out. But he knew that somebody had not believed his account of his meeting with Ari. He was aware that somebody was following him. As his tail / new best friend seemed to be everywhere he went he thought he may as well introduce himself.


Drake drove his car into an underground car park, stopped in the first available space, and waited.


His tail pulled into the car park and stopped in a space on the other side of the basement lot.


Drake got out of his car and walked over to the elevator. The doors open, he stepped in and selected a floor.


Special Agent Anthony DiNozzo stepped out of the stairway on the floor that the elevator had stopped at.
A voice behind him said.


"Hi, want a coffee?"


"Drake, what are you doing here?" asked DiNozzo covering his surprise very well.


"Mainly waiting for you. C'mon, there is a coffee shop over here." Drake pointed across the mall.


DiNozzo shrugged and said, "Ok why not?"


Sitting at a table towards the back of the coffee shop with a good view of the doors they order coffee and Drake stared at DiNozzo.
DiNozzo sat looking a little uncomfortable.


"If you are thinking of asking me out on a date forget it." said Tony trying to diffuse a worryingly familiar stare.


"I take it Agent Gibbs doesn't trust me."


"What makes you think that?" asked Tony, acting surprised.


"Well either he doesn't trust me, or you are planning on asking me for a date. Since you have been following me for the past couple of days."


"Ha! Four days actually." said Tony and regretted it instantly as he had just confirmed what he now realised Drake knew all the time.


"Ok, ok. So Gibbs told me to keep an eye on you, after all you are in contact with Ari."


"Oh, give me a break! He came looking for me and you are playing right into his hands. He wants to sow suspicion, in order to destroy interagency cooperation. Not that he needs to. Even you most closely connected agencies don't trust each other. Gods you people are doing his work for him half the time!"


Drake realised this was the most he had said to anybody for nearly a week. Most of his communication was by e-mail, and out of habit he avoided talking too much with people at work. He still felt like the new boy that nobody knew what to do with. And most of his enquiries had gone absolutely nowhere.


"I'm still going to be following you, until Gibbs tells me not to." said Tony. "And maybe after that. Because I think you're trouble."


"Ok whatever you say. With any luck you might learn something. Probably not surveillance techniques. You're not difficult to spot." said Drake, deliberately baiting Tony.
Despite the situation he thought that this guy was ok. "Anyway, I'm going back to the office now. If I go out later do you want me to phone you so we can carpool? After all there is no need to be environmentally unfriendly is there?"

Tony looked a little perplexed by the suggestion but said nothing.

-------


Some time later Drake walked into the NCTC office. Joy & Director Roberts were leaning on a desk deep in conversation; they stopped as soon as he walked in.

"Hi," he said. "Am I interrupting something? Should I go out and come back in, or possibly go out and stay out?" He saw their puzzled expressions. "Sorry, I'm not having a good day. Been followed everywhere by Gibbs' hound dog DiNozzo. You know I don't think Gibbs trusts me."


Joy looked at Gillian, and Gillian just looked a little uncomfortable.


Drake sighed, "Ok is it something I said or don't you guys trust me either? Ok ok stupid question. Ari didn't shoot me and I didn't shoot him. I mean, I didn't have a gun at the time and I was tied to a chair, but that's not the point is it? Nobody trusts the new guy. Can't blame you. Nobody trusts anybody here. It's worse than home."


Drake turned on his heel and left. He needed time to think. He needed somebody to talk to that didn't look at him like he was about to shoot them. He wondered if he was being paranoid. After all it was an occupational hazard.
Drake decided to try to be a nice guy, hard work for a spy. Drake felt bad about going off at his co-workers. He wasn't even used to having co-workers, it showed and he knew it.


He was scared of making friends. The last time was still raw. "I so want Ari dead!" he said to himself, sitting in his apartment.

He was startled when a voice behind him said "Take a number, there are quite a few people in front of you."

It was Gillian.


"It's quite a talent to sneak up on me. It can also be dangerous. Do you want a coffee?" asked Drake.


"Yes please. I would also like an improvement in your attitude."


"Cream & sugar? With the coffee I mean." Drake went on.


"Yes to one, no to the other. My agents find you disturbing & they don't want to work with you."


"I'm not surprised, I'm not an easy person to like."


"No kidding…" She looked at him like she was trying to read him.


"Look I'm sorry. I understand if you want me to leave. I know you didn't want me in the first place. That I'm used to, nobody wants a spook working for them."


Gillian shook her head "Your background in Intelligence could be very useful to us, if you would just show some."


Drake laughed for the first time since he had gotten off the plane. "Yes I guess I've been dumb."


"Yes, and then some." said Gillian managing to smile. Perhaps he was human.


Drake was standing by the window looking out. "I think special agent DiNozzo might be getting a little upset. Do you think we should invite him up?"


"No. He is a big boy, he will cope."


"So there is something between you two then?" He looked her in the eye.


Gillian looked straight back and said, "None of your business. Are you coming back to work or what?"


"Yes but on one condition, let me take you and your team out for dinner, by way of an apology. You can bring DiNozzo if you like." He grinned, he was enjoying this.

"I'll talk to them and see if they can put up with you." She was smiling now. There was hope she could turn them into a team.


He was in a better mood now.
Annoyed that he was so distracted that Gillian had walked into his apartment and crept up behind him without him being aware.
Perhaps he was loosing his edge. Time to find out.....
part 3 by Albert Bester
The house Drake parked across the road from was dark except for a light in the basement.


The door was unlocked. He opened it and moved silently across the kitchen floor to the basement door, it was partially open and he could hear a television. It sounded like CNN.

He looked at the hinges, well oiled. He pushed the door gently and looked down the stairs. One man working on a boat in the basement of his house. He wondered how he was planning on getting it out.

Gibbs stopped sanding the spar he was working on. He turned and picked up an almost empty bottle of Jack Daniels and poured some into a glass.

By now Drake was half way down the stairs. He sat down and silently pulled a full bottle of Jack from his coat pocket.

"A peace offering." he said and was comforted to see Gibbs startled.


"What the hell are you doing here?"

"I come bearing gifts." He offered the bottle. "Don't worry I'm not Greek."

Gibbs took the bottle and placed it carefully on the workbench. "Ok, you've proved you're a sneaky bastard. So why come see me?"

"Look I'm not a threat to you or your people."

"The hell you're not. You could have got Ducky killed!"

"Oh come on Gibbs! Ari obviously knew where Ducky lived. If he wanted him dead, do you think he would still be doing autopsies for you?"

Gibbs continued to stare at Drake saying nothing.

"Ari knows you well enough to know how you would react to him talking to me and you have played right into his hands. You have taken your senior field agent and set him on watching one of your allies."

"Yeah, DiNozzo told me about your little ‘trust' speech and you have a point. But I still don't trust you."

Drake smiled, "I'm used to people not trusting me. It goes with the job. Any chance of a drink?"

Gibbs smiled very slightly, picked up a tin cup that had pencils in it; he took the pencils out and shook out the dust. Opening the new bottle of Jack he poured some for Drake.

"Thanks Gunny."

It was the most relaxed that Drake had felt since his arrival. This assignment might workout yet.


-------


"WHAT?!" Paula and Joy both whined at the same time. She had just told them about going to dinner. Paula looked at the papers spilled across her desk. "Maybe I can fake sick." she suggested.

"Stop it you two! He's making an attempt to be nice. The least you can do is go to dinner with him. He might turn out to be a really nice person." Gillian said sternly.


"Are you ordering us to go?" Paula asked.


"No Paula. I'm not going to force you to go. But think if you were him. You've just flown across the ocean to help these strangers on a difficult case. You leave everything you know to come to a strange place. You invite your co-workers to dinner and no one wants to go. How would you feel?"


Joy and Paula fell silent.


Finally, Joy whispered, "So, you said we don't have to go right?" she smiled.

Gillian stared at her two friends. "You guys are going." With that, she turned on her heel and left the office.


She walked to the NCIS main office, into the bullpen. Her eyes scanned the five empty desks.

"Boo!" Two hands wrapped around her arms, making her jump out of her skin.


"Tony!" She slapped him hard on the arm while a grin spread across his face. "Don't scare me!"

"What are you doing here?" He asked as he made his way to his desk.

"I came to ask a favor."


Tony smiled at her. "Yes, I'll go out with you."

She smiled and rolled her eyes. "Drake has invited all my team out to dinner."

"So?" Tony said as he rummaged through his desk.

"I was kind of hoping you'd come."

Finding a green apple, he took a bite out of it. "So you did come here to ask me out."

"If that's what you want to call it, then yes." She laughed.

Tony stood up and walked over to her. Grabbing her hand, he got down on one knee. "Oh my dearest Gillian. I will grant your wish. I will go to the ball with you."



Gibbs' hand came down upon the back of Tony's head.

"Hey!" Tony said rubbing his head.

"No time for chit chat DiNozzo. You're supposed to be following Drake."

"I was; it's snack time." Tony said, holding up the apple. Gibbs just gave Tony a look.

"I mean, I'll get on that right now boss."

"I'll see you at 7 then." She smiled.

"Ok." Tony leaned down to give her a kiss.

"DiNozzo!" Gibbs barked.

"Hold that thought." He smiled at her than ran off to find Drake.

Laughing, she left the NCIS office and made her way back to NCTC office.


-------

Tony got into his car and started the engine, "Ok DiNozzo, coffee shop, office or apartment. Where should I start looking for the Brit?" He asked himself out loud.

"Try behind you." said Drake, from the back seat. "Don't you guys look at your cars before you get in?"

Tony tried to cover the fact that he had nearly jumped out of his skin. "I thought you were kidding about the carpooling stuff." He said trying to sound casual.


"Actually I wanted to ask you a favour. Since we have a date and I'm a stranger in town, I wondered if you would be good enough to suggest a restaurant."


Tony smiled. "Oh this is so sudden, I had no idea you felt this way."


"I see what Gibbs means about feeling like a high school principal now." said Drake, shaking his head with a smile on his face.


"You've talked to Gibbs?" asked Tony surprised.


"Yeah. Last night in his basement, we had a couple of drinks. Don't worry I didn't mention that you were sitting outside my apartment building eating pizza."


"No way! You were in your apartment all night. I saw you." insisted Tony.


"Oh c'mon I didn't expect you to fall for that. You, I thought you knew movies. The Return of Sherlock Holmes, Basil Rathbone and Nigel Bruce."


Tony was momentarily confused. "You mean it was a dummy? But I saw it move. Didn't I?"

Drake treated him self to a chuckle. "You saw a lighting effect, a couple of household electrical time switches set up in sequence. You saw the shadow move, not the dummy. Dummy… You want to slap your self on the back of the head or should I do it for you?" Drake sat back in the seat and relaxed. "Ok driver, let's take a turn around the park shall we?"

Tony was angry. "Look I'm not your driver and if you try to slap the back of my head I'll break your arm." He took a breath, and tried to calm down. "Dinner's at 7. I'll make the reservations. You are paying, right?" Tony looked over his shoulder and smiled.

"Well actually technically speaking, I suppose the British tax payer is paying since I plan on putting it on my expenses. So you may choose an expensive restaurant by all means." Drake said levelly. "Now, would you mind dropping me off at my apartment?
Part 4 by Albert Bester
At 7 PM on the dot, both Drake and Tony arrived at the restaurant. A couple of minutes later Paula, Joy & Gillian arrived.

"Ladies, thank you all for coming. I must say you all look lovely this evening." Drake tried to be as charming as possible but felt awkward.


The waiter seated them at a table.


Tony sat next to Gillian and looked very comfortable and at home; Drake envied him.

"I will start by apologising for my recent behaviour. I have been a bit out of sorts lately and rather unfairly I think I have taken it out on you. Gillian, Joy & Paula, I'm sorry." Drake looked at them in turn and figured he still had some groveling to do. But well begun is half done.


The waiter reappeared and handed out menus.


Half way through the meal Drake decided that things were going ok, he had managed not to upset anybody. Even Joy appeared to be having a good time although she still made him uneasy.


"So John, are you married?" asked Paula.


Drake stopped eating; the question had caught him off guard and he could feel all eyes on him. Without looking up he said, "I was. She died." He hoped desperately that nobody would push the point. Rescue came in the shape of Tim McGee.


"Hi everybody, sorry to butt in like this but Tony, Gibbs has been trying to phone you for the past hour. Your cell is switched off. He told me where you were and told me to get you."

"Oh great!" complained Tony rising from his seat. "The moral of this story is never make dinner plans in ear shot of the boss. Sorry you guys I'll have to catch up with you later. Oh and Drake just pretend that I'm following you home."


As they walked away from the table McGee could be heard saying, "He said to remind you of rule #3."


The occupants of the table were left desperately seeking small talk. Drake took the plunge. "So what do you guys do to relax? Do you actually get any free time?"


Paula looked up and said, "I have just taken up ‘Mushi Quan'."


Joy looked puzzled. "Sounds like Chinese food?"


"It the proper name for kick boxing." said Paula shaking her head.

Gillian was laughing quietly to herself. "So what do you do to relax John?" she asked.

"I don't tend to have much free time. But I do like to read. Oh and I run a lot."


The meal progressed without incident or the conversation straying into sensitive or work related topics, which with all things considered Drake thought was quite an achievement. He felt that things might get onto an even keel with his new colleagues if he could avoid putting his foot in his mouth, shouting at anybody or getting too personal.
Joy made him nervous. She reminded him of Samantha, the resemblance had thrown him when they first met and when she introduced her self he knew he had not made a good impression. He knew that working with her was going to be like being haunted. He had to keep it under control. At the end of the evening they went their separate ways. Drake decided to get a cab back to his apartment as he had a few glasses of wine with dinner. As with locks on doors ‘Better safe than sorry'. Tomorrow would be a new start.

-------


It had been a couple of days since the meal. Everything seemed ok with the team. It felt very strange to Drake to be part of a team. In his line of work, unless you were under cover you just didn't work ‘with' people.

He still found himself staring at Joy on a regular basis and scolded him self every time, hoping that nobody noticed. He liked her and because he liked her he tried to stay out of her way. No way did he want her hurt as well.

As always the best laid plans screw up. Drake and Joy were sitting in a rental car watching a small hotel down town. Drake had picked up some information, which led him to think they might get a lead to Ari. Nothing was happening.


"Do you want more coffee?" Joy offered Drake the flask.


"Not without a bathroom. I hate stakeouts in cars." He said grumpily.


Joy laughed. It sounded nice. It made Drake remember.


*** Flash Back ***


It's a year ago. London. A wet, cold December evening.


Drake had spent the day with an Israeli agent exchanging information. Something about the meeting didn't feel right.


He had learned to trust his instinct. This time his controller had told him in no uncertain terms to "ignore what he thought and do his job."


The job was done, contact made and information had been exchanged. But still…He couldn't put his finger on it.


He got out of his car and walked over to his flat. The light was on so he knew that Samantha was home. He walked in the door.


"Hello sweetheart, had a good day?" She asked


"The usual, paper work and filing." He lied and he hated lying to Sam. But he was told that as far as friends and family were concerned he was a civil servant. Every time he had to lie he felt his gut churn.


She told him she loved him, she made him feel good. She was the most honest, clean and true thing in his life and he loved her more than he could ever hope to put into words.


"I love you too, my angel, my life."


She laughed and smacked him on the butt and told him to get ready.


They were going out for a meal with friends. Drake didn't want to but arrangements had been made and he knew how much Sam was looking forward to it.


The restaurant was busy and they were early.


"A drink in the bar?" He asked.


"Love to babe. I'll have a Baileys."


"Jack Daniels and a Baileys." Drake said to the bartender who busied him self with glasses and bottles.


"Ice?" was the only question that the bartender asked. "No, thanks." replied Drake.


He took the glasses over to a small table where Sam was waiting. Moments later Mark and Wanda arrived and a social evening commenced.


Later. They were leaving the restaurant. Mark and Wanda had left moments earlier. Drake and Sam were crossing the road to their Volvo. A car pulled up just in front of them. "Drake!" called the driver. "John Drake!"


Drake looked and saw it was the agent he had spent the day with. He was pointing a handgun. A shot rang out Drake was hit in the shoulder and the car sped away, wheels screeching. As he fell, he turned and saw his beloved wife crumpling behind him. The bullet had passed through him and hit her in the temple.
As she was collapsing before his eyes he couldn't help thinking that apart from the slight surprise on her face she looked relaxed and peaceful.
He knew immediately that she was dead.

And as the world began to spin around him he knew that bastard Ari Haswari would pay for this.


*** Flash Back Ends ***


Drake was jerked back into the present.


"Do you recognise him, Drake? Are you awake?"


Drake turned to look across the road to where Joy had pointed.


"No. Do you?" mumbled Drake.


"No." Joy photographed the man anyway.


"You ok?" she asked looking hard at Drake.


"Yeah, yes of course I am. Why?"


She handed him her handkerchief. "Your face is wet." she said.

Drake hadn't noticed but tears had been streaming down his cheeks.


"Damn allergies." he said, covering his emotion as best he could.


Joy could see his discomfort and wondered if she should press the point. Instead she suggested that six hours watching a dump of a hotel might be enough for a while and going back to HQ might prove more fruitful.


Drake could not argue. He didn't have the heart for it now. Apart from that he still needed a bathroom.


They headed for NCTC office for up dates.


Drake was putting photographs into a facial recognition database; in the six hours that he and Joy had sat outside the hotel they had photographed nearly 40 people. Software could go through mug shots much quicker and more efficiently than people. Paula entered the office.




"Oh hi." she said. "What are you doing?"


He explained as briefly as he could then looked Paula up and down.


"What have you been doing, you look good but exhausted." he said choosing his words with care.


"Been to the gym, kick boxing training and a general workout." She looked hard at Drake. "Never see you training." she observed.

"No." he responded simply.

"You should keep in shape." Paula stated settling at her desk.

"There is nothing wrong with my shape." said Drake slightly defensively.

"You think?" she said slightly goading Drake.


"Yes, thinking is part of Intelligence work." said Drake without looking up from the computer screen.


Resigned to not getting a reaction from Drake, Paula asked, "Would you like a Coffee?"


"Is the Pope Catholic?" responded Drake. "Black no sugar, thanks Paula"


"That's ok; get me one whilst you're out there please." She said sweetly from behind a pile of paper work.


Drake knew he had been out maneuvered and was graceful in defeat, rising from his desk he headed for the break room and poured two cups of coffee.


He returned to the office and put down one of the cups on Paula's desk.


"Thanks," she said reaching around half a trees worth of forms.


Drake sat down and looked at his screen. There was a match. He memorised the information and left the room without a word.
Part 5 by Albert Bester
Half an hour later he was waiting in his car in darkness watching an empty house in the suburbs.
This was the address for Christopher Lions, an ex-con suspected of arms trafficking.
This could be the contact he needed to get to Ari.
Drake's cell buzzed in his pocket.
He cursed under his breath then answered.

"Drake…Hello Director Roberts, what can I do for?" He was cut off in mid sentence.


"I know where you are, Joy has tracked your GPS chip in your cell. I know what you're doing. You didn't clear your computer screen. It's SOP to follow up leads with backup. Stay where you are and wait for us to get there."
Her voice was commanding and she hardly took a breath, not allowing him to get a word in.
"Do I make my self clear?"

"Absolutely Director Roberts. Oh one thing, it would be best if Joy stayed in the lab and kept an eye on the GPS."

Her voice was noticeably indignant. "Are you telling me how to do my job?" she asked.

"Of course not," replied Drake smoothly. "Just a suggestion."

"We will be there in ten minutes." said Gillian. Then she hung up.

Drake put his cell back in his pocket.


A car pulled up across the street. Lions stepped out and walked up the drive to the front door of the house. He entered but no lights came on in the house, a few moments later he reemerged carrying a large case. Walking down to the car he left the front door of the house open. Drake watched as the man put the case into the trunk of his car and went back to the house.


Drake got out of his car and moved quickly across the road to the house, hiding himself to the right of the front door he pulled the Glock 19 9mm from his shoulder holster and waited silently. The man reemerged from the house with a second case. He put the case down, then closed and locked the door.

Picking up the case he suddenly stopped when Drake stepped out and told him, "If you move I will shoot you."

The man didn't hesitate, his hand immediately reached for the gun concealed in his jacket. Drake didn't hesitate either. One shot rang out, the man cried out and dropped to his knees, he had been shot at the joint between the humerus and radius the lower part of his arm hung uselessly and blood poured down his forearm. Drake moved forward quickly and disarmed the man pointing his Glock at Lions shoulder joint he said, "I'm not going to kill you. But if you don't tell me what I want to know you will wish that I had."


The man now breathing heavily looked at Drake, he was obviously in agony and terrified. "Aaagh, come on man I need an ambulance!" he said.


Drake looked at him, after studying the man's arm for a second or two Drake said, "Yeah, I would say you're right, I might have nicked an artery with that shot. You had better keep pressure on that and tell me quickly where Ari is before you bleed to death. Or get shot again."


"Hey man are you a cop or a fed? I've got rights you know."


Drake pushed the muzzle of the Glock into the man's shoulder and replied, "I'm neither of those. The only right you've got with me is the right to bleed. Answer the question."


"Please man, I don't know. I'm just a delivery guy. I pick stuff up and take it to where I'm told."


Lions was obviously about to pass out, and Drake had not yet got enough information out of him. He prodded him just above his gunshot wound with the muzzle of the Glock. The pain was enough to bring Lions back to consciousness.


"So where were you to take the cases? Quickly now you haven't much time"


"Ok, I have to take the cases to Prince William Forest, the end of Park, Park Entrance Road, off Joplin Rd…..Come on man, an ambulance I need an ambulance."


"Not just yet. When are you supposed to be there?"


"Ok, ok. 5 AM tomorrow. I'm to wait in my car till Ari contacts me."


Lions slumped; the wound wasn't that bad apart from the elbow joint being shattered. Drake had seen the results of Haswari doing much worse and as far as he was concerned anybody working with Ari deserved what ever they got.

Drake reached into Lions' jacket and took his cell phone and slipped it into his own pocket.


Behind him a car pulled up, Paula & Gillian got out just as a police car pulled up. The police officers got out of their car with weapons drawn and only relaxed slightly when Gillian and Paula showed their ID's and informed them that Drake was one of theirs detaining a suspect.
Immediately they called an ambulance and one of the cops started to administer some first aid whilst the other cop watched Gillian, Paula & Drake carefully inspect the cases. They would need to get Joy to check them for forensic evidence but they needed to know what was in them first.
Gillian opened one with great care.


"Oh my god, will you look at this?" She said to the others.
Drake and Paula and the cop looked into the case and were horrified to see about 33 lbs of C4 explosive, the other case contained the same.


"Well that turned out ok." said Drake Looking at Gillian.

She motioned him to move closer.


In a low menacing voice she said, "In my office when we get back. You're lucky I don't tell the cops to arrest you and take you away now." She drew a breath and shook her head very slightly. "When I say wait, you damn well wait."


She walked away back to the car.
Paula walked over to Drake and said, "Gee, she is pissed at you, I wouldn't want to be in your shoes." With that she went to join Gillian as the ambulance arrived with a second police car.
Lions was loaded into the ambulance and, with a police guard, taken to the hospital.


Drake got into his car and drove back to the office to face the music. But at least he had a lead, now all he had to do was persuade Gillian to let him follow it up.


On the way back to the office he looked at the time, 2355hrs. Only 5 hours and five minutes until the meeting that Lions would not make. He knew that this was his best shot at getting to Ari.
He knew the longer he delayed the less chance he had of getting the bastard.
He also did not trust information not to leak from NCTC office.

The beauty of being in America is that there is always a store open. He stopped at Wal-Mart he found 66 lbs of flour and two cases identical to the ones that Lions had taken from the house and placed them in the trunk of his car. He needed Lions' car to make the plan that was forming in his head work.
He was not going to enhance his popularity, in fact he might end up facing charges, but he had been there and done that before so that was nothing worth worrying about.

The main thing was to get Haswari before he could cause any more death or pain.

Having loaded each case with 33 lbs of flour Drake set about making use of his shadow. He picked up his cell-phone and called DiNozzo.

"I know you have been watching me all evening so you might as well help." he said as soon as Tony answered his phone.

"Drake? What are you up to? I have seen you going to Wal-Mart, are you going on a trip? Planning on doing a lot of baking?"

"Tony I'm going to be breaking a few rules and I need you to back me up….Are you up for it or are you gonna go running to your boss?" said Drake trying to appeal to the rebel in DiNozzo.

"Ok, we need to talk, I'll take the lead. Follow me." said Tony. His car pulled out from three cars back and over took. Drake followed him and a few minutes later they were pulling into the car park of a bar.

As he took a glass from Drakes hand Tony asked, "Ok Drake, what's going on in that sneaky British brain of yours?"

Drake laughed. "How much do you want Ari?" Drake watched the expression on Tony's face change. "Well however much you want him, I want him more."

"Don't bet on it! He killed a co-worker and very good friend of mine" said Tony with an edge of passion and anger in his voice.

Drake looked Tony in the eye and told him, "He killed my wife…."

Tony was noticeably shocked. "Oh, man I'm sorry….I had no idea."

"Of course you didn't. I don't share my life story in my line of work and I don't have many friends that I talk to." Drake looked at Tony and saw that he was pleased to be called a friend. "Lions was going to deliver two cases of explosives to Ari in the morning, I plan on going to that meeting and getting the bastard."

"So what do you need from me?" asked Tony.

"I need the car that was taken to the NCIS compound this evening from Lions' place"

Tony looked shocked. "Gee, why not just ask for something difficult."

"Yeah I was afraid it might be more than you could do." Drake said looking down at his drink.

"I just need you to know that I'm going to do this because I want that bastard not because you're trying to push my buttons. Understand?" said Tony finishing his drink. "Wait here I'll be back in about an hour."

An hour passed, Drake figured that either Tony would do what he had asked him to or he would tell Gibbs. Either way Ari would get what was coming to him.


There were some feelings of guilt for keeping Gillian, Paula & Joy out of the loop but he knew they were all team players and would insist on playing by the rules.
So far playing by the rules had done nothing to get Ari. Tony walked into the bar and dropped a set of keys on the table in front of Drake.

"When Gibbs finds out what I have done he is gonna kill me. You know that don't you?" Tony said sitting at the table with Drake. "So what's our next move?"

Drake looked at Tony, "Your next move should be to go back to the office and think of what to tell Gibbs when he finds out that you took the car from the impound."
He knew that the chances of DiNozzo actually doing this were slim especially if he had not told Gibbs what was going on.

"Well we both know that is not going to happen. Tell me where the meeting is and I'll back you up." Tony said in conspiratorial tones.

"The meeting is in Prince William Forest Park." Drake stated.

"It's a big park, exactly where in the park?" asked Tony, looking concerned.

"The end of Park Headquarters Road. I'm….Well Lions is to wait there for instructions," Drake lied. "If you are coming along then you had best wait on Joplin Road, when I get the call I'll call you with my cell phone and keep you informed."

"But Lions was the one who was going to be contacted, how are you going to get around that?"

Drake pulled Lions' phone out of his jacket pocket and waved it at Tony with a slight smile on his face.

"You knew what you were going to do all along, didn't you?" said Tony in an accusing tone.

"Well I had an idea of what I might do." answered Drake quietly.

-------


It was 0455 and DiNozzo parked his car 100 yards from the Park Headquarters Road turn off. Drake turned onto the road and once he was out of sight he accelerated to an unsafe speed he had some distance to cover and little time to do it in.
He turned right at the first fork in the road and then sped along the mostly straight section of the road to the next junction where he turned right his tires screeched sounding like a racing car. From here the road became more bendy and Drake drove like a confident mad man.
Again he took the right fork and sped on.
As soon as he saw the ‘T' junction ahead he knew he was at Park Entrance Road and he turned left onto it and accelerated onward.
A few moments later he arrived at a dead end and stopped the car.
A few moments passed then Lions' cell phone rang.


Doing a fair impersonation, Drake answered the phone "Yes?" He waited and for a couple of seconds there was silence, then a familiar voice.

"Ah, Mr. Lions. You have what I want?"

"Yes." answered Drake. Again he waited

"There is a track at the end of the road. Bring the two cases 100 meters along the track….On foot." Drake pulled on a black woolen hat and got out of the car. He retrieved the two cases from the trunk and set off along the track.
After 100 meters he stopped and put down the cases. He looked around, all seemed to be quiet then a voice from the woods.


"Well if it isn't my old friend John Drake. What brings you here on a cold dark December night? Ah I see you have bought my cases….Not containing my C4 I'll wager. No matter. That was not why I wanted you here." The smugness in Ari's voice was unmistakable.


Drake drew his Glock from his belt and pointed it in the direction of Ari's voice. Then there was a very very bright light then nothing at all just silence and blackness...................
Part 6 by Albert Bester
Gibbs & DiNozzo walked into Abby's lab. Abby was in a sombre mood, there was no music playing. There were pieces of broken and burnt electronic equipment arranged on the bench.

"Ok what you got for me Abs?" Gibbs asked putting down a large Caff-Pow.

She looked at him and forced a smile. "Well the night vision camera was fitted with a remote control pan & tilt and a short range video transmitter."


"What was the range of the video transmitter Abs?" asked Tony.


"Not more than 2 kilometres." answered Abby swiftly. "The four Claymore mines were detonated by a similar transmitter. I found pieces of the trigger device and receiver in the evidence you recovered from the scene along with a remote operated two-way radio."


"So it was a trap from the start." stated Gibbs as McGee entered the lab.

"I found a report of a vehicle broken down on I-95 at the time of the explosion, a highway patrol officer stopped and checked the car and a man answering Ari's description told him that he was waiting for a breakdown recovery vehicle. He checked the driver's license and vehicle registration and they came back clean, registered in the name of Patrick McGohan. I have put out a BOLO, there was no breakdown recovery called." McGee said it all hardly taking a breath. He then stood looking worried.


"Good work McGee. Abs, see if you can find where the claymores came from. I'm going to see Ducky. DiNozzo, with me."


"On your six boss." said Tony following Gibbs out of the lab.
The elevator doors slid closed behind them.


"Damn it boss! Why wasn't Drake up front about the location of the meet?"


"Well he was a spy, in his line of work there are trust issues. We didn't exactly welcome him with open arms, so I guess he figured he was on his own."


"But if we had the right part of the park staked out we might have caught Ari."

"If he had told us the correct location for the meet we might have been blown up too DiNozzo. His way kept injuries to a minimum. People like Drake are trained to work alone. They are used to only trusting themselves."


The elevator doors slid open again and Gibbs followed by DiNozzo walked out and headed for the doors of the autopsy lab.
Part 7 by Albert Bester
The first thing that Drake was aware of was voices, they were distant but one was definitely familiar. He opened his eyes and looked around.
There was an x-ray viewing screen, the lighting was florescent. He looked to his right, there was an examination table, the type was familiar, it was an autopsy table.
He looked to his left. There was a second table.


He sat up and swiveled round to sit on the edge of the table trying to remember how he got there. Was his old friend playing a bad joke on him?

He could still hear Ducky's voice but he could not see him. Drake stood up, he felt strange like he was not awake, perhaps this was all just a dream.


The glass entrance doors of the autopsy lab slid open, Ducky, Gibbs & DiNozzo walked in.

"Ducky, what the devil am I doing here?" Drake asked.

Nobody responded. They did not even look at him.


"Hey come on people, what's going on here?" Drake asked. He felt like he should be mad but he was quite calm.


"Ok Ducky what do we know?" asked Gibbs

"Oh Jethro, he has only been here ten minutes other than the obvious time and cause of death there is nothing I can tell you." answered Ducky, his impatience barley disguised.

"Well, we'll leave you to it Ducky. Come on DiNozzo, let's see what Ziva has found." Gibbs turned on his heel and walked out of the lab with DiNozzo following in his wake.


"If you see Mr. Palmer, tell him I would like to see him here." Ducky shouted after Gibbs.
Ducky put on his greens and walked over to the table where Drake had been laying. "Well John, my old friend what have you been up to?"

"Oh thank god I thought you were going to ignore me Ducky." said Drake walking over to his friend.
It was only then that he realised that the table he got up from was occupied.
He was surprised and puzzled which became stunned and confused when Ducky pulled the sheet back to reveal Drake's own battered and burned body.

Drake stood and watched as his old friend performed an autopsy on his own body, he was expecting it to be more upsetting; he had always been a little bit squeamish about internal organs and the like. All he felt though was mild curiosity.

"COMMANDER JOHN DRAKE." The voice behind Drake was deep and resonant with a hollow and authoritative quality.

Drake turned around and was shocked by the sight that greeted him.


Standing there was a 7 ft tall robed figure holding a scythe. Its hands were skeletal; the face was a fleshless skull, two burning blue pin points of light flared in the eye sockets.

"I HAVE COME FOR YOU JOHN DRAKE."

"Oh? And who are you?" enquired Drake with more composure than he was expecting to possess under the circumstances.

In so far as it was possible for it to do so the skull's expression became one of surprise.


"I AM DEATH, I HAVE COME TO AID YOUR PASSING FROM THIS MORTAL COIL."

"Oh so what's next then?" asked Drake.

"THAT IS UP TO YOU. THE AFTER LIFE IS DEPENDANT UPON WHAT YOU EXPECT."

"Well personally I was not expecting to die quite yet. So if it is all the same to you I would quite like to go on living."

"OH DREARY ME, YOU'RE GOING TO BE DIFFICULT AREN'T YOU?" Deaths shoulders became more rounded and he lent on his scythe in the manner of an old man with a walking stick.
"YOU MAY CONTINUE TO EXIST ON THIS PLANE HOWEVER YOUR CORPOREAL FORM IS NO LONGER VIABLE SO YOU WILL BE A DISEMBODIED SPIRIT."

"Do you mean a ghost?" asked Drake "Only I don't believe in ghosts…. Is that going to be a problem?"

"NO, THAT IS NOT A PROBLEM, ALTHOUGH YOU DO NOT BELIEVE IN GHOSTS THEY BELIEVE IN YOU."

"So will anybody be able to see me?" Drake asked trying to get to grips with the whole ‘dead' situation.

"AS A RULE THE LIVING WILL NOT SEE THE DEAD. THERE ARE EXCEPTIONS, THOSE WHO HAVE SOME PSYCHIC ABILITY, CATS AND SOME OTHER ANIMALS MAY SEE YOU."

"So are there any rules of which I should be aware?" asked Drake as Death started to walk towards the autopsy lab doors.

Death looked over his shoulder and said "YOU SHOULD NOT SEEK REVENGE, THE DEAD MUST NOT KILL THE LIVING… IT SETS A DANGEROUS PRECEDENT." Death then walked through the closed doors and vanished.

Drake stood and considered his situation; his next move would require some thought.
Part 8 by Albert Bester
Drake had not been having a lot of luck.
Apart from being dead he was having trouble with the few things he thought he knew about being a ghost.
He had tried four times to walk through the doors of the lab but with no luck although he could not move objects his body refused to pass through the doors. He was puzzled and a little confused.


He realised that Ducky was getting ready to go home for the night and not wanting to spend the night in the autopsy lab he decided to go with Ducky.
He followed him out of the lab and into the elevator.

Ducky was in sombre mood and spoke to no one on the way out of the building; he got into his car and started the engine.

Drake was perplexed as he tried again to pass through the door and again he just rebounded, the frustration was just too much and he shouted as loud as he could.


"For gods sake Ducky open the door!"

Ducky turned off the engine and got out of the car. He looked around with a puzzled expression on his face. Shaking his head very slightly he got back into the car. Whilst Ducky was looking around Drake climbed into the car and scooted across into the passenger seat.

Ducky parked the car in the driveway of his house; he got out of the car and closed the door before Drake even had a chance to think about it. So there he was locked in the car.

"Damn!" Drake said in frustration.

Ducky walked into the house through the front door.

"Hello mother I'm home." He greeted his mother as he walked into the sitting room; she was standing looking out of the window.

"Well I can see that you silly boy. I'm not senile yet, unlike you…" she said with a note of accusation in her voice.


"Mother what are you talking about?"

"You have locked your friend John in your car. That is just rude."

"Mother what are you talking about?" He stood beside her and looked at the car.

"Are you going to let him out?" she asked.


"There is no one in there." He said his voice tinged with concern.

Mrs. Mallard in an obvious temper walked to the front door taking Ducky's keys from the table and opening the front door she went straight to the passenger door and opened it.
"Come along John; come into the house and we'll make you a nice cup of tea."


Drake was so stunned he did not know what to say, he got out of the car. Mrs. Mallard closed the car door and locked it and walked back to the front door of the house. She turned around and looked at Drake.

"Come along silly boy, don't just stand there." She chuckled and walked into the house, holding open the front door and waiting for Drake.
He walked into the house and saw Ducky looking at Mrs. Mallard with an expression of acute concern on his face.

"Mother, what are you doing? John is not here…"


Mrs. Mallard cut him off mid sentence, "Oh come along Donald, have you boys had an argument? Come along and make up over a cup of tea." She smiled and tried to take Drake's hand, when her hand passed through Drake's she first looked puzzled then shocked.
She took three steps back and sat on an upholstered chair.


"Mother, are you alright?" Ducky rushed to his mother's side and took her hand in his.

"Donald, I'm afraid your friend is a ghost." she said, looking first at Ducky then at Drake.

"I got blown up. I think." said Drake looking at Mrs. Mallard.

Mrs. Mallard relayed Drake's comment to Ducky who looked stunned.

"But this is impossible, I don't believe in ghosts." said Ducky shaking his head.

Drake laughed, "That's ok Duck, I believe in you…."
Part 9 by Albert Bester
It was 0830 Tim, Tony and Ziva were all working quietly at their desks.
Director Roberts entered the bullpen holding a large filing box and went straight to Tony's Desk.

"Special Agent DiNozzo, can you tell me where I can find Special Agent Gibbs?"

Tony looked up and smiled "Director Roberts, it's good to see you."

Gillian looked at Tony with no sign of emotion. "This is not a social visit. Where is Gibbs?"

"I'm behind you." Gibbs said quietly standing just behind Gillian.

Turning on her heel to face Gibbs she handed him the filing box. "This is every thing that John Drake did whilst he was here. Funny how you only want to know about him after he is dead." Without saying another word Gillian strode out of the office and onto the elevator.

Gibbs put the filing box down on DiNozzo's desk. "We are taking over the investigation of Drakes murder."

"Umm its hardly a navy investigation boss." ventured DiNozzo

Gibbs stared at him

McGee spoke up, "He was British navy..."

"Retired." chimed in Ziva

Gibbs slammed his hand down on his desk. "He was murdered by the bastard and that makes it our case. Now start checking everything Drake looked into whilst he was here." Gibbs headed for the elevator.

-------

Jimmy Palmer was filing test results and making sure all was ready for a new day as Gibbs strode into the lab.

"Mr Palmer. Where is Dr. Mallard?"

"Errrr, ummm, I don't know, he's not here." Jimmy stammered. Gibbs made him nervous and it showed.

"I can see that! That's why I asked where he is." Gibbs turned on his heal and almost collided with Ducky as he walked into the lab.

"Good morning Jethro, Jimmy." Ducky walked passed Gibbs and went to hang his coat up.

"Have you got the results from Drakes autopsy? Was there anything other than the explosion that we should know about?" Asked Gibbs

"Like what? There were no drugs in his system, other than a small amount of scotch he had not consumed anything for several hours prior to his death.... What else can I tell you?" Ducky went about his business without another word.
Both Gibbs and palmer looked at Ducky with puzzled expressions.

"Is every thing ok Duck?" asked Gibbs looking rather concerned at the uncharacteristic behaviour of his friend.

"To be honest Jethro, I don't know what to think at the moment. I just spent the evening talking to John Drake through my mother..." Ducky carried on with his work whilst Gibbs and Palmer both just looked puzzled

"What??" asked Gibbs already knowing that he would regret asking.

"It seems that John has come back as a ghost.... I know it sounds crazy but mother was able to answer questions that only John would have known the answers to." Ducky looked worried.

"This is going to be a long day." said Gibbs "I need a coffee or two, you want to join me and tell me all about it Duck?"

there was a rapid exchange of facial expressions. Jimmy looked worried and Ducky's expression became one of puzzlement.

"Thank you Jethro, I think that might help. You can mind the store for a while Mr Palmer." said Ducky as he and Gibbs left the lab.

"I think I have woken up in Bizarro World." Muttered Palmer as he continued to file paper work.

-------
part 10 by Albert Bester
It had been a very strange day; Gibbs had listened to an unbelievable story from Ducky, there were no leads to find Ari. Right now Gibbs was sanding his frustration out on a spar of his boat.

Drake had been watching Gibbs working on his boat for about an hour and he was getting bored.

"Damn it Gibbs, we need to find Ari and working on your boat is not getting us there!" Drake started walking up the stairs to the open door.

"Well you're not helping any." said Gibbs not looking up from his labor.

Drake stopped in his tracks and turned to stare at Gibbs. "You can hear me?"

"I can see you too." said Gibbs still working on the spar.

"So why didn't you say something?" asked Drake, barley keeping his annoyance and frustration out of his voice.

Gibbs smiled. "I barely talk to the living so what makes you think I'm gonna chat with you?"

"You don't seem surprised." commented Drake with suspicion in his voice.

Gibbs looked at him and there was sadness in his eyes. "You're not the first ghost I have seen. You're not the most useful ghost either."

Drake walked back down the stairs and stood in front of Gibbs. "This is all rather new to me; I have only been a ghost for 2 days and I don't seem to have gotten the hang of it yet. So cut me a little slack why don't you?"

Gibbs smiled and went to the bench where the Jack Daniels bottle was sitting; he poured some into a glass and took a sip. "I would offer you a drink but offering one spirit to another just seems wrong."

"Yeah thanks for that." sneered Drake. "I could really use a drink too."

"So do you remember anything useful from being blown up?" asked Gibbs.

"The most useful thing I have learned from getting blown up is that it is a bad thing to do."

"As ghosts go you're just not much use are you?" Gibbs voice was cold but not angry. "Sounds like you need lessons in being dead."

Drake was puzzled. "Any suggestions you have would be useful."

"Oh hell not me, I'm alive and plan on staying that way for quite a while yet. No you need the advice of someone who has been dead a while and knows the tricks." Gibbs looked over to the corner of the basement.

Drake looked in the same direction but there was nothing there.

"Kelly, sweetheart, you can come out; there is someone I would like you to meet." There was sadness in Gibbs' voice. Suddenly there was light and the figure of a young girl appeared in the corner. She smiled and half-walked, half-glided across the room to her father. "Drake I would like you to meet my daughter. She has been with me for quite a while now and she helps me a lot."

Drake was more shocked by this revelation than he was by his own death. "Your daughter? She is the famous 'Gibbs gut instinct'?"

Gibbs just smiled sadly and went back to working on his boat.
Part 11 by Albert Bester
Abby was working in her lab. She had been trying to find some other trace evidence on the remains of the explosive devices and electronic equipment. There was a piece of electronic circuit board that was about the size of a postage stamp under her microscope and she was examining it in minute detail and still drawing a blank.
"I would give real money for one tiny drop of blood on this board." she said to the world in general.

A large Caff-Pow appeared on the bench in front of her. She looked up into the eyes of McGee.

"So you're not having much luck then, Abbs?"

Taking the Caff-Pow she looked at McGee and said "Wrong McGee. I'm having lots of luck but it is the wrong kind… Whoever made this servo control was just too careful." She drank her Caff-Pow in the hope of being struck by Caffeine fuelled inspiration.

"Well you had better keep looking. Gibbs is upstairs and he is not in a good mood, and I mean worse than the normal bad Gibbs mood." McGee looked at Abby, she was staring over his shoulder. "Oh darn, he's standing behind me isn't he…." Abby nodded

"McGee!" Gibbs barked.

"Yes Boss, Sorry boss going back to work now boss." McGee started to beat a hasty retreat out of the lab.

"Where do you think your going Elf Lord??" Gibbs asked quietly

McGee cringed "Ummm, I was going back to……. I'm staying here to help Abby aren't I."

"Find me something that will get us Ari!" said Gibbs already walking out of the lab.

"Welcome to purgatory." Said Abby apologetically.

----

The phone on Gibbs' desk was ringing, DiNozzo answered. He listened for a moment. "We are on our way." He replaced the receiver . "Ziva, grab your gear, we're going on a little trip."

"Oh really DiNozzo? Where are we going?" asked Gibbs from behind him.

"A marine commander has been found dead in a place called Camp Hero, Long Island. The circumstances are a little bizarre" DiNozzo looked a little uncomfortable. "The local LEOS are keeping the crime seen ready for us."

Ziva was on the phone to Ducky already. Gibbs grabbed his gun and his ID and was heading for the elevator, with DiNozzo right behind him.

"Ziva phone McGee he is in Abby's lab get him to meet us at the truck."

"The truck boss? But it's a 5 hour drive to Long Island." Said DiNozzo

Gibbs just stared at him.

"If your driving 3 and a half tops….. Maybe less." DiNozzo continued.

"Better get Ducky to follow us" said Ziva running into the lift with them. "If Jimmy navigates they might never get there."

----

4 hours later McGee is tagging and photographing the seen Tony & Ziva are talking to a pair of hikers that found the body Gibbs is watching his team work and waiting for Ducky and Palmer to arrive. He stands beside the body of a teenaged boy in the uniform of a marine commander the dog tags are clearly exposed and Gibbs has read the name and serial number. Having phoned navy records he knows that if the body were that of commander Darrel Ritter he would be 90 years old not the 19 year old he is looking at.

Having interviewed the hikers Tony & Ziva start searching the scene for evidence or even clues.

"Oh no!" said Ziva distain evident in her voice, "Those are the biggest tits I have ever seen in my life"

DiNozzo who was at least 30 yards away stopped and looked puzzled. He walked over to Ziva. "What you found Ziva?" he asked

"This is disgusting, will you look at the size of these tits She said lifting up the lower part of her shirt to reveal two large blood-sucking insects.

Tony looked rather disappointed. "Ziva, those are called Ticks, and the little blood suckers seem to have a good grip on you"

"Ticks, tits what is the difference…." She said very unhappy with her new passengers

"Trust me Ziva I don't expect you to be showing me your t*ts any time soon." Said Tony as he went back to looking for evidence.

Ducky arrived to find Gibbs with a broad grin on his face, which disappeared as soon as they started to discuss the case and the body lying on the ground.
Part 12 by Albert Bester
Ducky & Jimmy loaded the body into their truck and set off on the long drive back to HQ. The crime seen had been photographed, sketched and thoroughly possessed. Gibbs & his team were all standing by their truck.

"What now boss?" asked McGee.

"What do you think we do now McGee?" Gibbs turned the question around and stared at McGee.

The famous Gibbs stare did its work and McGee's brain started to work furiously "Well we have found nothing by way of evidence in the immediate area, so I guess we expand our search to include the whole of the camp?"

"You guess??" Gibbs tone was sarcastic.

"Yes boss, I mean no boss…. Umm we should get right on it boss." McGee was about to rush off.

"Where are you going McGee?" Gibbs voice was a little softer now. He walked over to the truck, he opened the back doors and pulled out a laptop computer he opened it and started to type. The team gathered around, shocked to see Gibbs typing with such speed and expertise. A moment later the printer in the back of the truck hums and produces an aerial photograph of the area they are standing in. Directing everybody's attention to the map.

"We are here. The body was found over here." Using a marker pen he indicated these locations on the map. "McGee & Ziva check this area, DiNozzo check over here. I'll take this area here." He opened a drawer in the truck and pulled out four two-way radios, "We will need these. Cell phone reception out here sucks. It will be dark in a couple of hours so lets get to it people." They all set off to search their allocated areas.

------

A couple of miles away two ghosts were sitting on top of a lighthouse. Drake was slowly catching on to the freedom of being a ghost. Kelly was a good teacher, she had already managed to teach Drake to walk through walls and they were now working on travelling.

"Mr. Drake if you wanted to be over there, how would you get there?" Kelly asked pointing to the beach about 50 yards away, looked at him and smiled.

"Well I'd walk though the wall and down the stairs.." he stopped when Kelly started to laugh.

"Oh you are silly." She said as she walked off of the light-house and floated down toward the beach, looking over her shoulder she said, "Come on Mr. Drake follow me. Remember you're as light as air and as solid as a dream."

Drake took a deep breath, realised that this was a habit that he did not need to continue and stepped off of the lighthouse. He was less surprised than he thought he would be when he floated down towards Kelly who was now standing at the waters edge. He went and stood next to her and was surprised to see that she was crying.

"Hey Kelly, what's up?" he asked trying to sound less like himself and more sympathetic.

"I used to love coming to the beach with my mommy and daddy, we would ride horses and we were happy all the time." She looked at Drake. "I wish my daddy was happy again. I know me being around makes him feel better but he is always so sad. He misses my mommy."

Drake had no idea what to say so he just placed his hand on Kelly's shoulder and they stood and watched the waves for a while until Kelly looked up and said, "We should go and help daddy search. I like to help him with his work, its not as good as helping with the boat but it is better than nothing." Kelly took Drake's hand in hers and they faded into nothing, traveling to Gibbs at the speed of thought. Drake was learning to be a ghost.
Part 13 by Albert Bester
Gibbs was standing motionless staring at the giant SAGE radar antenna. It had struck him that there was something wrong with this picture. Camp Hero had been officially closed in the 1980s yet the radar antenna had never been dismantled. He was no technology geek but he was sure that SAGE had been replaced years ago with more modern and efficient systems. Yet there were definitely new modern power cables leading into the radar building. The question was did this have anything to do with the case?

Drake & Kelly appeared beside Gibbs.


Without any prompting Kelly looked at Gibbs and said, "I'll have a look inside."

Drake smiled. "That's a great little field agent you have there, I'll go with her."


They both vanished leaving Gibbs alone again. He started searching the surrounding buildings; there were signs of many teenaged beer parties and drunken vandalism but no clues that suggested a connection to a murder.


Gibbs' radio crackled into life. "Gibbs… this is McGee, over."

"Go ahead McGee, what have you got? Over." Gibbs responded.


"We have found a military issue Colt automatic hand gun, but there is something very strange about this boss."


"Well photograph it and bag it for Abby." Gibbs said.

"Umm I can photograph it boss but I can't bag it without a chain saw boss…." answered McGee sounding hesitant.


"Ok McGee what is your location?" Gibbs asked looking a little puzzled

"We are at Rough Riders Road at the beach end." answered McGee.


"Ok I'll be with you soon." Gibbs put the radio in his pocket and was about to set off to find McGee and Ziva when Kelly appeared.


"Daddy there is something very strange under the radar building. There are tunnels and a big machine and a whole lot of skeletons."


Gibbs looked startled. "Where is Drake?"


"He decided to look around some more. He will be ok daddy. He's like me. Nothing can happen to him and he cannot contaminate the crime scene."


Gibbs smiled and reached out to stroke his daughter's hair, stopping himself at the last moment. His eyes were full of sadness again. "Can you see if you can find me a way in sweetheart?"


"Yes Daddy, I'll look right away," answered Kelly. She smiled and vanished again. Gibbs set off to find McGee & Ziva.

-----

Tony was having a bad time; he had found a bunch of buildings and had searched them all carefully. The words filthy and disgusting were high on his list of descriptive terms. There were an awful lot of beer cans and the smell or second hand beer and vomit were making Tony feel ill. He had overheard the radio conversation between Gibbs & McGee and he decided that he would be of more use where the action was.

-----

McGee had photographed the gun from every conceivable angle, it was bothering him. There was just no way this could happen.
Ziva had managed to locate a few foot prints leading away from the tree but none approaching it, as she was following the trail she collided with Gibbs. Ziva pointed to the tree with the Colt automatic apparently growing out of the trunk.


"Well I don't think that is the murder weapon." said Gibbs, as he examined the gun closely.

The pistol was clean and oiled yet the wood seemed to have grown around it. Not a trace of rust.

"Dust it for prints McGee." Gibbs said getting up off his knees. "DiNozzo! Help Ziva follow the tracks. They will lead to the crime scene."

Tony came out of the undergrowth looking surprised and a little disheveled. "Yes boss." he said as Gibbs stalked off back towards the radar station.

-----

Drake was lost; he had been wandering around in the tunnels under the old military base for almost an hour. He had descended three levels and there just seemed to be no end to them. Something was not right; everything was spotless, as clean as a new pin, no dust, nothing to suggest that the base had been abandoned. There were store rooms with crates containing every thing from ammunition and weapons to clothes and food. The lights were on, all that was missing was people.


Kelly appeared beside Drake and told him, "I have found a tunnel on the second level that leads to the beach on the north side of the island."

"Oh? So has it anything to do with the body that was found up top?" Drake asked.

"No but Daddy wants a way in and that is the only one that has not been sealed. But it would be very hard to find from the beach so I need you to wait there whilst I tell Daddy where it is, then you can show him the way…. Ok Mr. Drake?" asked Kelly politely.


"No problem Kelly you show me where it is and I'll wait for Gibbs there. Oh and call me John. Mr. Drake is a little formal under the circumstances," Drake laughed as Kelly took his hand and they faded only to reappear at the entrance to a cave on the beach at the north side of the island moments later.

"Wait here Mr…. John. I'll tell Daddy where to find you. There is something else I need to do." Kelly smiled and faded into nothing.

Drake looked at the rocky beach. There was a time when he would have liked to fish here but now baiting a hook could be a problem.
Part 14 by Albert Bester
Gibbs found Kelly waiting for him at the radar building. She looked worried as he approached.

"I have found a way in…… But I really don't think it's a good idea, Daddy," Kelly said.

Gibbs was taken aback; it was most unlike Kelly to give advice when it came to actions that Gibbs had decided to take. "Why sweetheart? What's the matter?"

"This is a bad place…. Things have happened here, I just think you could get into a lot of trouble if you get involved," She looked up at him, she looked sad and pensive.

"What do you know about this place? What have you found?" Gibbs felt apprehensive; this was way out of character for Kelly so he knew it had to be bad.

"Its just a bad place, things have happened here and are still happening. I don't know how to explain it…." Kelly was obviously disturbed.

"Ok I'll be careful, but I have to find out if there is any connection between Darrel Ritter and this base, and I'm sure that the answers are down there." Gibbs looked into Kelly's eyes and tried to reassure her.

Kelly smiled at him "I knew I would not be able to stop you, but I had t tell you what I felt." She paused as if listening. "Drake is waiting for you on the beach at the north side of the island, he will show you the way. I have to go for a while…. I'll be back soon, I love you, Daddy," said Kelly as she faded and disappeared.

This worried Gibbs, Kelly was usually close by and it was unusual for her to leave without explanation. He set off toward the north beach; there was no road just a narrow and overgrown track.

-----

Dr Mallard was mystified. He had the body of a 19 year old male on his table. The cause of death was a single gunshot wound to the chest. He had removed the bullet and sent it to Abby along with fingerprints and other evidence needing her expert attention. The problem was that Abby had phoned down to him to say that the fingerprints were definitely those of Darrel Ritter, but this was impossible as Commander Ritter was, according to records, 90 years old.

"Mr Palmer, get onto Navy records and find out if there has been some sort of mix-up with the records, because our Mr. D. Ritter here is not 90 years old," said Ducky as he continued to muse over his mystery guest.

-----

Abby was psyched; she had just spoken to McGee who had sent her the pictures of the gun in the tree trunk. She had heard of Montauk and Camp Here. This was an exciting conspiracy theory that she had read about, and now she was looking at evidence that the stories might be true.The computer beeped, Abby looked at the screen. "YES! YES! YES!" she bounced around the lab punching the air like she had just scored a field goal. The serial number of the colt automatic had come back as issued to Darrel Ritter in 1947.
Other searches of military records showed that Commander Ritter, although he had been paid a regular salary, had never been assigned to any ship or naval unit. He had joined the Navy in 1938 at the age of 21 years and disappeared, but still received regular promotions. Abby decided to probe a little deeper into this mystery, she was starting to have fun. She picked up the phone and called her friend that does not work for the CIA

"Hi Gale," said Abby brightly, "I was wondering if you could do me a favour?" She explained about Darrel Ritter and how there was no record of him or his activities passed joining the Navy in 1938. Her friend promised to call her back as soon as she had any information.

-----

Gibbs radioed DiNozzo and told him to take the team into town and find a place to stay for the night.

"Boss?" said DiNozzo.

"Did I stutter DiNozzo? Find a hotel, book us rooms and I'll call you later." Gibbs said simply and turned off his radio.

"Yes boss" said DiNozzo.


"Um Tony what should we do about the gun?" asked McGee.

"Remove the clip, clear the chamber if you can and wrap the section of the tree in plastic. We can hire a chain saw in town and remove the evidence tomorrow," answered Tony.

"You realise that this is a state park, and cutting down trees without a permit is an offence," McGee stated.

"I'm sure Gibbs would be enthralled by your observation Timmy," said Ziva chuckling.

Once the gun and tree section were wrapped in plastic, they set off for the truck and went off to a local hotel as the light faded into dusk.

-----

Gibbs found Drake sitting on the beach; the tide was out and it was almost dark.

"I didn't think you were coming," said Drake without turning round.

"You going to show me where the entrance is, or just sit on your butt watching the waves?" asked Gibbs, sounding more like his impatient self.

Drake rose and walked over to a gap in the rocks; it was not until Gibbs stood between the two large rocks that the cave mouth became apparent. It was pitch black.
Gibbs rummaged in his jacket pocket and produced a torch. Drake led the way, as he had found that he could now see in the dark as well as he could see in daylight.

"So where has Kelly disappeared to?" asked Drake.

"I have no idea," answered Gibbs. He drew his weapon and pointed it forward as they moved further into the cave.

After about 60 feet, the cave became a tunnel with slightly rounded regular walls. After 40 feet more, there were a pair of steel doors. They were not locked, so Gibbs opened them and went through. On the other side of the door he put his torch away. The lights were on.

"So where is the machine that Kelly was telling me about?" asked Gibbs.

"This way, follow me" said Drake as he continued to lead the way.
Part 15 by Albert Bester
"So where are we going Tony?" asked McGee; "your dad has a house around here, doesn't he?"

Tony gave McGee a harsh look, and continued to drive the truck.

"I think you hit a nerve there Timmy," said Ziva with a cheeky grin.

"We are going to the Radisson Hotel at 1730 N Ocean Ave.," said Tony in a business-like tone of voice.

"I'm worried about Gibbs," stated McGee absently. "He has been rather distracted, not his usual self at all…"

"Yeah, you're right. I have not been Gibbs slapped for a couple of days. It is strange."

They arrived at the hotel and went to their rooms. McGee phoned Abby for an update.

-------


"Hey McGee! Where are you? Our Darrel Ritter served on the USS Eldridge in 1943, and was still in the Navy after. Do you realise what that means McGee? Everybody else who served on the Eldridge on October 28th 1943, was given a medical discharge except Darrel Ritter, but there is no record of where he served. Not even the CIA could find anything… Oh and he was shot with a Colt Peace Maker; that's an antique. You're very quiet, McGee; haven't you got anything to say?" Abby stopped talking and waited.

Once McGee was sure Abby was not going to start talking again he said, "How could I say anything? You have been talking a blue streak… Hang on a minute; how can he have been on the Eldridge in 1943? He could not have been more than 20 years old…" said McGee in disbelief.

"According to Ducky he was 19, I have checked, double, and triple checked his fingerprints, and our 19-year-old was definitely Darrel Ritter, which means that he was 90 years old and very well preserved – in fact he was two years younger than he was when he joined the Navy. Work that one out McGee," answered Abby with an air of triumph.

"Abby, I'm tired and I need a shower. I can't think straight at the moment. What about the gun? Any information on that?" asked McGee, sitting down on the edge of his bed and taking his shoes off.

"Oh. Yes! The Colt in the tree was issued to Darrel Ritter in 1947, but there is no record of where he was assigned at the time." Abby said, sounding slightly down.

"What about the gun?" asked McGee.

"I just told you!" snapped Abby.

"No. I mean, can you trace the military issue records and find out where the gun was sent before it was issued?" McGee asked thinking it through as he talked.

"McGee! You are a freaking genius! I'll get on it right away," Abby said with real enthusiasm, and then she hung up.

McGee looked at the phone and shook his head. He stumbled off to the bathroom to take a shower. He figured he could fill Tony and Ziva in on the facts later.

------

Gibbs was getting the grand tour on the way to the lower level of what was apparently a massive complex of tunnels, storerooms, laboratories and offices. All was quiet; it was reminiscent of the Marie Celeste.

"It was the selection of clothing that surprised me," said Drake, as he led the way through the seemingly endless corridors. "Every fashion and era you can possibly think of. I mean, anything from anywhere in the world." Drake looked over his shoulder at Gibbs who was obviously lost in his own thoughts.

They reached the forth sub level and the humming sound of generators or other machinery could be heard.

"That was not happening when we were here before," said Drake, clearly apprehensive.

"What are you worried about?" asked Gibbs. "You're dead already."

"Ha! It has always been my experience that no matter how bad the situation, even when you think it can't get worse… It can," Drake said dryly.

They rounded a corner and found a set of large steel doors closed.

"They were open last time I was down here," said Drake.

Gibbs pulled the handle of the door and they slid apart.

There was one man standing in the middle of the room in front of the giant ring surrounded by outlandish looking technology. He wore the uniform of a navy Capitan and he held an old fashioned revolver in his left hand.

"Welcome Leroy Jethro Gibbs." The Capitan smiled at Gibbs.

Gibbs levelled his Sig at the Capitan, "Put the weapon down!"

The Capitan looked down at the gun in his hand like he was surprised to see it, and dropped it to the ground immediately.

Gibbs moved toward the Capitan, kicked the revolver away and searched him.

"So who are you?" Gibbs asked.

"I am Capitan James Ritzmann. I am the commander of this base, and now your life will change forever. You and your ethereal friend here." The captain looks straight at Drake.

"Gee whiz, can everybody see me all of a sudden?" asked Drake, looking shocked.

"Well, I would like to know what is going on here," said Gibbs.

"I would be happy to tell you all about it, but I think we both could use some coffee. What do you think?"

"Well that is the best offer I have had all day," said Gibbs. "So you can see what sort of day I have had."

The Capitan led the way to an office, with Gibbs still pointing his Sig at him. In the office there was a pot of coffee waiting. Gibbs was hoping there would be an explanation too.
Part 16 by Albert Bester
Sitting at a large and impressive antique desk Capitan James Ritzmann smiled at Gibbs and sipped his coffee. "You want to know what we do here…. You also want to know if I had anything to do with the death of Commander Ritter." These were not questions; he stated the facts as he saw them with confidence.

Gibbs was not impressed. "Ok so you know what I want, so how about telling me?" He sniffed and sipped his coffee.

Ritzmann appeared to be thinking about talking but then the office door opened and two armed guards came in pointing automatic weapons at Gibbs. "You need to understand Jethro that what we do here is far more important than law enforcement or even government."

Gibbs was disarmed by one of the guards. Ritzmann motioned for the guards to leave the room.

"I am in a position to help you Jethro, but there is a risk." Ritzmann said and looked at Gibbs for some sign of reaction. All he saw in Gibbs eyes was anger slowly building. "You must understand Jethro that if you help we can offer you absolutely anything you want."

"Ha! So you're not in a position to help me…. You think I'm in a position to help you!" Gibbs voice was low and menacing. "Your going to have to tell me what is going on here, especially if you want to try to get my help."

"To put it simply Jethro, here we rewrite history…."

-------

Ziva and Tony were waiting for Tim in the restaurant of the hotel.

"So where is he?" Ziva asked

"We did say to meet here at 2100, didn't we?" said Tony looking at the menu. "I'm just about through with waiting for the Probie. Let's order."

"Hey guys, I'm sorry I'm late. I fell asleep." said Tim as he seated himself at the table.

The three of them ordered food and Tim filled them in on the information that Abby had shared with him on the phone earlier.

"So what is so special about the USS Eldridge?" asked Ziva.

"Well in 1943 the Eldridge was supposed to have been part of a US Navy experiment to try and make a ship invisible to radar. According to the myth the ship actually vanished totally. It was gone for several hours and reappeared outside of the Philadelphia Navy Yard. The incident has come to be known as the Philadelphia experiment." Tony stopped talking as he noticed Ziva and Tim staring at him with their mouths open.

"So did you see it in a movie?" asked Ziva.

Tim laughed, but stopped quickly when he saw the expression on Tony's face.

"Hey I don't get all my knowledge from movies; I do read books as well." said Tony defensively.

"So long as they have pictures." added Ziva with a grin.

"The Philadelphia experiment was actually part of a program called Project Rainbow which covered a lot more than just radar invisibility." continued Tony, deciding to ignore these slurs on his character.

Ziva & Tim looked at each other in surprise. Tony smiled and continued to eat.

"So not a movie then." said Ziva.

"Well it was a movie as well. Written by Wallace Bennett and Don Jacobi, produced by the great John Carpenter and directed by Stewart Raffill. It was released in 1984 and stared Nancy Allen and Michael Pare…" Tony stopped as he realised both Tim and Ziva were laughing at him.

-------

Gibbs was sitting with a look of total disbelief on his face.

"This facility is independent from all government organisations and is dedicated to ensuring the power and economic stability and power of the United States of America" Ritzmann stopped talking and looked at Gibbs "You're having trouble grasping this?" he asked.

"I actually think you are a few fries short of a happy meal." stated Gibbs with clear contempt in his voice. "You expect me to believe that you send people back in time to change events in history in order to affect the balance of power now…. It's ridiculous!"

"Jethro, I don't expect you to believe me. I know that you will believe me." said Ritzmann.

Drake appeared from nowhere. "There are about 30 skeletons at the end of the tunnel behind that machine," he stated.

Gibbs looked at Drake and then at Ritzmann. "So would you like to explain the bodies?"

"Time travel is hazardous and not an exact science. We have been doing it for 60 years and still things do not always work out just as we hope." Ritzmann said with a hint of regret in his voice.

"So what about the families of those people that you have left to rot at the end of your tunnel?!" shouted Gibbs.

"Well they are all citizens that have given their lives in the service of our country and their family history and families have been looked after." Ritzmann was obviously trying to turn Gibbs to his side. "Jethro, is there any thing that has happened in your life you would want to change?"

Gibbs' face drained of colour and his hand shook slightly. "You bastard!" he said quietly. He knew what Ritzmann was doing and it both tempted him and made him as mad as hell.
Part 17 by Albert Bester
It was a little after 2300. Tony was worried; there had been no call from Gibbs.

"Perhaps he has decided to stay at the scene." offered Ziva.

"Maybe, but he did say he would call." said McGee. "It is just not like Gibbs not to do what he says he will do."

"I think we should go back out there." said Tony putting his cell phone away. "It keeps saying his phone is switched off, and we have to assume that he is not going to break rule # 3."

"So you think he is in trouble?" asked McGee.

"If the boss is not answering his phone you can bet someone is in trouble and if it's him, you can bet on it being big trouble." said Tony grabbing his jacket and calling the waiter so he could pay the bill.

"We should go via Sears." stated McGee.

Ziva looked confused. "Why? Have you been taking fashion tips from Gibbs?"

"No Ziva. Between here and Montauk there is a Sears Hardware store and we need a chain saw."

"Ah, ok good point." Ziva smiled and picked up her coat.

The three of them left the restaurant and went to their rooms to pick up the few personal items they had left there. Ten minutes later they were on their way to Sears for a chainsaw.

-------

Drake was sitting slightly in shock over what he was hearing. Never in all his life would he have believed that there was an organisation taking it upon themselves to alter history. He quietly wondered if Ritzmann was in fact telling them the truth or if in fact he was as mad as a barrel of monkeys. If he was telling the truth, what could be changed? He too was feeling the pull of temptation.

Gibbs looked at Ritzmann and shook his head. "This is a lot to take in. Is there somewhere I can be alone to think this through?"

Ritzmann smiled and pushed a button on his desk, the office door opened and the guards entered.

"Take Special Agent Gibbs to guest quarters; make sure he has everything he needs." said Ritzmann who then turned his attention to Drake.

"I don't know why you're looking at me." said Drake slightly defensively. "I don't see how I can possibly be of any help to you. I'm dead, remember?"

"John…. May I call you John? You must understand that we use many different types of time travel here. Not only physical."

Drake was thinking hard, he could not figure out how Ritzmann could know his name. He knew that Gibbs had not called him by name. The only possibility was that Ritzmann knew him before he was killed. This bothered Drake a lot. Suddenly the importance of what Ritzmann had just said hit him.

"What do you mean? Not physical?" Drake, against his better judgment, was becoming intrigued.

"Well there are many ways to travel through time, we all travel through time every day of our lives and it takes it toll on our physical well being. It is possible to travel forwards in time without the physical deterioration but that has limited useful ness. I am of course referring to stasis." Ritzmann looked at Drake for confirmation that he understood.

"You mean like being frozen and defrosted in the future?" He said to encourage Ritzmann to continue with his explanation.

"Yes, almost exactly correct. Now I mentioned before that time travel is risky and inexact. We here at Rainbow specialise in traveling back in time mainly because we at this time cannot bring people back to the present from the past. It is a one way trip in all cases." Ritzmann was careful to make this point clear.

"So can you give me any examples of things in history that you have changed?" asked Drake.

"Umm well that might be rather unwise. We have a strict policy of compartmentalisation to give you any information about our activities could compromise your effectiveness as a field agent…." Ritzmann looked at Drake and waited for this statement to hit home.

"So do I understand that it is your intention to recruit me as an operative in your organisation?" asked Drake with more than a little incredulity.

"Indeed you could be a valued operative." Ritzmann stated looking hard at Drake.

"Well I guess I should ask at this point. What's in it for me?" asked Drake knowing with certainty what Ritzmann was going to say.

"Well John you know already what I'm going to offer you. You will have your life and your wife back. You will be able to live out your days in happiness with the woman you love…" Ritzmann looked at Drake with a broad smile on his face. "Perhaps you need time to think it over? You seemed to find the beach relaxing. Come back when you have decided." Ritzmann pushed the button on his desk again, this time an intercom crackled into life.

"Yes sir?" enquired a disembodied voice.

"Mr. Drake is cleared for entry and exit of the facility. All operations set to condition green." said Ritzmann with authority.

"Yes sir." Responded the voice on the intercom

"Um, I don't mean to be picky but I'm a ghost. How would you stop me coming and going?" asked Drake.

"John, we send consciousness back in time to occupy the bodies of people in history. We can stop almost anything from going almost anywhere." answered Ritzmann mysteriously.

------

Gibbs was alone; he had been lost in thought for some time. He was almost sure that Ritzmann was mad, although he had been surprised by the level of activity in the underground tunnels. When they had arrived they seemed to be deserted but now there was a continual flow of people, some in civilian clothes some in uniform and he had seen a couple of people in historical costume. This was a very strange place.

"I could really use some advice right now." he said aloud hoping that Kelly would respond to this request.

"Hello Jethro. " said a familiar voice behind him.

Gibbs' heart leapt into his throat as he spun around coming face to face with Shannon . He was speechless and over come with emotion, he stepped forwards to embrace his wife, she stepped back.

"Jethro, you know I'm only here in spirit." she said sadly.

"Yes, I know, " he said softly. "I miss you so much."

"I know you do. I know you will be tempted by Ritzmann's offer." Shannon was calm but Gibbs could hear the sadness in her voice. "But you must not do what he wants."

"What? Why? Tell me what you know. It would be worth anything to me to get you back!" Gibbs was close to tears.

"I know Jethro. I'm sorry but you mustn't. You would never forgive your self. Also you have touched so many lives and done so much good since I have been gone. If you do what he wants all of that good work will be undone."

"No! There will be someone else to do what I have done." said Gibbs in anguish.

"No. There won't be. Jethro you are a good man. What you do, what you have done, is important." Shannon 's tone was comforting but also had an edge of menace.

"But if I do what he says and you don't….you live I mean you will not remember this so we could be happy." Gibbs said persuasively

Shannon smiled at him. "Oh now Jethro, I think you know better than that. You will know it is wrong. You will see what you have not changed and it will eat away at you. You won't be happy. It will destroy you. We will lose what we had." Shannon looked around. "I have to go they will know I'm here. Jethro, do what you know is right, remember I love you." With that Shannon faded away leaving Gibbs close to breaking down.

The door opened behind Gibbs and two guards entered the room. They looked around and one of them produced a small electronic device waved it around the room and looked at the readings on the small display.

"Who was here?" the guard asked.

"I have been here alone." stated Gibbs.

"Capitan Ritzmann wants to see you. This way please sir." The guard ushered Gibbs out of the room and down the corridor…
Part 18 by Albert Bester
Ritzmann was still sitting at his desk when Gibbs walked into his office.

"Ah, Jethro I hope you had time to think. I'm a little curious about who visited you though. You were supposed to be isolated," Ritzmann said, watching Gibbs closely for any reaction.

"I was alone…" Gibbs looked defiant.

Ritzmann arched an eyebrow, "So who were you talking to?"

"Gee, I guess I must be getting old and senile. I must have been talking to myself." The sarcasm in Gibbs' voice was clear.

"Well, no matter. It is up to you Jethro… Do you want to have your wife and daughter back?"

"Of course I want them back… What do you want me to do?" Gibbs asked.

Ritzmann indicated for Gibbs to sit at the desk, and he produced some documents including schedules and maps. "In 1997 there was an assassination of one of our operatives. It will be up to you to stop it. All of the details are here. You will need to read and memorise all of the relevant information."

Gibbs looked through the documents. "You need me to go to Ireland? Travelling will require recourses."

Ritzmann smiled, "It is a common miss conception that time travel is purely a temporal thing and that geographical location remains the same. This is not so. In fact if you were to travel through time without changing your physical location it would almost definitely be fatal."

"Oh?" inquired Gibbs.

"Well, if you think about it, the earth is travelling through space all the time. The earth orbits the sum; the sun is orbiting the centre of our galaxy along with everything else. So if you were to travel through time alone without changing your location in space, you are just as likely to appear in space or in the middle of a rock." Ritzmann looked at Gibbs again to ensure that he was following his explanation.

Gibbs nodded. "So what degree of accuracy do you have with your geographical placement?"

Ritzmann seemed shocked by the question. "With modern GPS we can be accurate to within 10 feet."

"And how good was GPS in 1997?" asked Gibbs, getting straight to the point.

"We will choose an unpopulated area to place you. You might have to put up with appearing 10 feet or so above the ground, but you should be ok," Ritzmann said with a smile

"And how many days before I have to save your guy will I be arriving?" Gibbs continued.

"Between 10 days and a month. Remember, I did warn you that there was a margin for error," Ritzmann said with a slight air of apology. "There is an organic component to our control system. It is called The Montauk Chair. It allows us to directly use the power of the human mind to influence the control of our systems, giving us a greater degree of flexibility, but there is a slight degradation in our accuracy."

"If you lose accuracy why do you use it?" asked Gibbs.

"We find that the human connection has a beneficial influence on the sanity of our travellers. Our first subjects were sent without the human connection, and they arrived at their temporal and physical destination totally insane," stated Ritzmann with an air of regret.

Gibbs took this information on board without comment. "And once the task is accomplished, what then?" Gibbs looked at Ritzmann, waiting to see the lie in his eyes.

"Once you have completed your mission you can go about your own business and save the life of your wife and daughter. Having done so you will…. How can I put this? You will cease to exist."

"What?" Gibbs asked sharply.

"Once you have saved the lives of your wife and daughter you will not join NCIS and having not joined NCIS you will subsequently not be called to investigate the demise of Commander Ritter so you will not be sent back in time," stated Ritzmann with confidence.

"Isn't that what would be called a paradox?" Gibbs asked. "If I do not go back in time, who will save your operative?"

"You will have to trust me on the intricacies of our operation. He only needs to be saved once." Ritzmann was again studying Gibbs reactions.

-----

At 2345 in the evening the Sears Hardware store was quiet, so it was the work of but a few moments for McGee to locate and purchase a chain saw. Within a few moments, they were on their way again and would be back at Camp Hero within the hour.

-----

Drake was sitting on the beach when Kelly appeared beside him. "You must not trust Ritzmann," she stated simply.

"Ok, so how do you know so much?" Drake asked in anger and confusion.

Kelly smiled kindly, "Once you have been dead for a little while a certain amount of arcane knowledge becomes available to you. You must have noticed something by now?" she asked.

Drake thought about it for a moment. "The only arcane knowledge that I can think of at the moment is that all of the works of Emily Dickinson can be sung to the tune of The Yellow Rose of Texas, and Capers are in fact buds of the nestersion flower that have been pickled. Other than those two facts, I don't know anything now that I did not know before."

Kelly laughed, "Well you have been dead for only a short time, we should not expect miracles," she became serious and sat beside Drake. "My mother and I have a plan. We must stop Ritzmann from sending my daddy back in time, and we must change the time he sends you back to."

Drake looked stunned, "And how are we to achieve this?"

"We need the team; McGee, DiNozzo & Ziva are all about to arrive back at the base. We need to talk to them and fill them in on our plan," said Kelly. She went on to explain the plan to Drake.

After the concise explanation, Drake was forced to bring up one small problem. "But Kelly, none of the team can see or hear us… How can we fill them in on the plan?"

"John, I'm sure you will think of something. I have to go. I'll see you in the Time Transport Room in 90 minutes." And with that, Kelly was gone again.

"Damn!" said Drake. He knew what he had to do, but he also knew that getting it to work in 90 minutes was going to be difficult. "Oh well, time to wake up a dotty old lady," he said, and with that Drake vanished.
Part 19 by Albert Bester
Tony's cell phone rang. He looked at the number; it was not familiar.

"DiNozzo." He visibly winced as he recognised the voice on the other end of the line. "Mrs Mallard. It is nice to hear from you but….." he stopped talking and listened for a moment, the expression on his face becoming more and more puzzled.

"What's up Tony?" Ziva asked. He motioned for her to be quiet.

"You have been talking to John Drake….. " Tony was trying to sound understanding. "He told you that there is an underground base here at Camp Hero. Wait, how did you know we are at Camp Hero?…. Oh yes you said you have been talking to Drake…" Tony stopped the truck.

"Tony what is going on ?" McGee asked, and was shushed into silence by a confused and irritated DiNozzo.

"Now hold on a minute…..Oh……But…….Ok so……… Ok……..yes I understand………… yes?………….ok………..Yes Mrs Mallard……. Umm Vanessa…. Thank you goodbye."

"So? What was all that about Tony" asked Ziva.

"Well, it seems that the ghost of the late John Drake has been communicating with Mrs Mallard," said Tony in puzzled and slightly irritated tones.

Drake appeared in the back of the truck and listened to the conversation.

"Ducky's mother?" McGee butted in.

"Yes Probie, Ducky's mother, may I go on?" asked Tony irritably.

"You usually do until some one slaps you," stated Ziva quietly.

Giving Ziva a sharp look, Tony continued. "Well it seems that Drake has told her that Gibbs is in the underground base and he is in trouble. We have to get him out and put a stop to the operations that are underway there."

"And you believe this?" asked Ziva, incredulous.

"No Ziva. As it happens I think she is …. A little senile, but it is odd how she knew where we are."

"Perhaps Ducky mentioned it?" offered McGee.

"Yeah that must be it. She is not playing with all her marbles and she has an over active imagination,." said Tony, sounding only half convinced.

Drake vanished.

Tony's cell phone rang again.

"DiNozzo!…. Ah, Mrs Mallard, sorry Vanessa…. No I didn't mean…..Yes I understand….. Yes I did say that but……. Yes Mrs Mallard err sorry Vanessa. No I'll do what you say….. Errrmm there will be no need for that I assure you." Tony closed his cell phone.

"So what now?" asked Ziva. She was intrigued by the expression on Tony's face.

"She has told me what we have to do. Apparently Drake is with us and is reporting back to her what we are doing," said Tony.

"You mean we are being haunted?" asked McGee with the hint of a grin.

Ziva looked around with mock fear "So is he with us now?" she asked.

Tony just looked irritable and shrugged his shoulders.

"So what did she threaten to do to you Tony," asked Ziva with a grin.

"She threatened to put me over her knee and spank me," he said, looking embarrassed.

Ziva and McGee both laughed.

-------

Gibbs was checking his gear, and Ritzmann was watching him closely.

"So won't these things contaminate the time line?" asked Gibbs, managing to surprise Ritzmann yet again.

"No Jethro, we have enormous stores of equipment, all of which has been carefully catalogued. We ensure that equipment we send is only sent if it has been out of circulation and in our possession since before our operative's arrival time," said Ritzmann.

"Oh so, for example, you have had this hand gun here in storage since before 1997?" asked Gibbs feeling the weight of the berretta in his hand.

"Yes Jethro, and you will be given the ammunition just before you leave," Ritzman said as if he was reading Gibbs mind.

Gibbs continued to pack and prepare his gear.

"So do you feel like telling me about Darrel Ritter?" asked Gibbs, watching Ritzmann for any reaction.

"He is…. was radar & communications officer on board our ship and here at Rainbow," said Ritzmann.

"So why did he have to die?" asked Gibbs.

"Unfortunately he was involved in an accident here, and it affected his mind. There was no choice but to shoot him. Unfortunately, there were hikers around and they found his body before we could recover it," Ritzmann said, choosing his words with care.

"All this time travel equipment and you could not stop a body being discovered at your own back door?" Gibbs asked with a hint of irony.

"I'll leave you to your preparations Jethro. I have other things to attend to."

------

Ritzmann entered the room where the Montauk chair was located. An elderly man was sitting in it. He wore the uniform of a navy commander, and he was apparently asleep.

"Commander. Wake up!" Ritzmann barked at the old man, who opened his eyes and struggled to focus.

"Ritzmann. So you have come to see you old friend." His hands griped the arm rests of the chair, he seemed to have hardly any strength at all. "You will soon need to find another brain to control the time portal. It is almost over for me. I have been here too long." The old man sagged in the chair and started to slip back into unconsciousness.

"You just need to complete two more tasks, and then we can get you out of there." Ritzmann paused and looked at the old man. "You will be ok to do your job, won't you Darrel?"

The old man opened his eyes and nodded, "Yes, I'll do my job."

Ritzmann nodded and left the room.

Shannon appeared beside the old man who was sitting in the chair and asked him "Do you trust me Darrel Ritter?"

The old man nodded and said, "I knew that angels existed. I will do what ever you tell me."
Part 20 by Albert Bester
Gibbs knew that Shannon had been right in what she said; in his heart he knew that to change anything would be wrong……a disaster. But he was tempted.

He would give anything to not be close to the possibility of changing the past but he knew that Ritzmann would not just let him walk out and he had no real opportunity to do anything useful.

Too many armed guards, not enough information about what is going on here. He knew that if he was going to stand any chance of getting this place closed down then he would need to know who the operations were helping, who was really in charge.

He still did not know what he would do if he had to go through the time portal….

He knew what he needed was back-up, he would be quite happy to see the dead Brit and he knew that to be a clear indication he was in trouble.

----

Drake had given Mrs. Mallard detailed instructions as to how to find the entrance to the base. He had relayed the plan that Shannon had shared with him and Mrs. Mallard had told Tony what he needed to do. So long as nothing went wrong things should work out ok; well that is what Drake kept telling himself.

----

Tony, McGee & Ziva were searching the rocks to find the entrance that Tony only half believed would be there.

"There is a cave entrance here." called Ziva in a hushed tone.

Tony & McGee joined her and peered into the blackness.

"We have to go in there?" asked McGee.

"No we have to collect moss samples from the entrance…. Of course we have to go in Probie!" Tony half shouted at McGee. His voice echoed in the darkness.

"Ok Tony. Take it easy." said McGee, shocked by Tony's out burst.

They each checked their gear and turned on their flashlights before entering the cave in single file.

It was dark and damp but there was a definite airflow.

Tony bent down and examined a set of footprints in the sandy floor. He pointed them out to Ziva who nodded.

"Those are Gibbs' foot prints, he definitely came this way," said Ziva quietly.

Tony looked around and then looked up and said, "He didn't come back this way."

After moving quietly down the tunnel a little further they found a set of steel doors. They were unlocked and opened easily.

The other side of the doors were well lit, dry, man-made tunnels. The three of them stepped into the light and put away their flashlights and drew their weapons.

"Well what do you know the dotty old bird was right…." said Tony, looking around in amazement.

"Dotty old bird?" enquired Ziva.

"He means Mrs. Mallard," informed McGee.

"Ah… I see," said Ziva, obviously still puzzled.

They approached the end of the section of tunnel they were in and were faced with the choice of turning left or right.

Tony signaled that they should turn right. At intervals of 20 feet were sets of double doors, Tony stopped at the second set and tried the door. It opened and the three of them entered. The room was lined with ammunition boxes. Ziva opened one of the boxes and muttered something under her breath. They collected a few of the packs of explosives and placed them in the empty backpack that McGee was carrying.

"You are sure that these are safe?" McGee asked.

"It is quite stable unless it has a detonator cap inserted into it." said Ziva. She turned and looked at Tony. "You are sure that we are doing the right thing?"

"I'm not sure of anything at the moment Ziva. But Mrs. Mallard has been spot on with her intel so far and once we find Gibbs we can ask him what he thinks." said Tony, trying to sound confident

"We can only ask Gibbs if….." Ziva started to say but was cut off.

"Shut up Ziva! We will find Gibbs, end of conversation." said Tony not wanting any negative influence on what they were here to do.

"I was only going to say…." Ziva tried to go on.

"Well don't!" snapped Tony and he went to a stack of boxes in the corner of the room. Opening one of the smaller boxes he withdrew a handful of detonator caps and placed them into his jacket pocket with care.

Ziva located a box of timing devices and placed several of them into the backpack with the explosives.

McGee was looking increasingly uncomfortable. "So are we actually going to blow this place up?" he asked.

Ziva looked at Tony, who gave his best Gibbs stare as a response.

Tony opened the door to the storeroom door and peered around it. The tunnel was empty. After creeping along what seemed to be miles of tunnel passing numerous doors just like the one they had passed through to acquire the explosives the found the stair well. "We need to go down 4 levels," said Tony. "We need to be on our guard, there will be people down there."

-----

Drake appeared in Ritzmann's office.

"So where do you want to send me, or should I say when?" asked Drake.

"So John, you have decided to join us?" Ritzmann asked, there was suspicion in his voice.

"Well I think it is my best shot to actually be involved in some real ongoing operations," said Drake lying convincingly.

Ritzmann looked at Drake. "Ok, be in the portal room in 15 minutes."

5 minutes later all the lights went out. The whole base was in darkness and alarms started to go off.
Part 21 by Albert Bester
The lights went out after McGee had made a few adjustments to the generator.

"Good work Probie," whispered Tony.

Then the alarms started to go off.

McGee was annoyed. "Sorry Tony, I thought I had disabled the alarm."

"Don't worry about it Probie, so long as the back up generators don't start up we will have time to do what we have to," said Tony.

McGee managed a smile. "It'll take a good engineer about an hour to get the backup generators started," he said.

"Shhhh! Guards coming," said Ziva quietly.

Four guards rounded the corner; they wore Army uniforms and carried automatic weapons. They entered the generator room and failed to notice the three NCIS agents hiding on either side of the door.

Ziva, with frightening swiftness, incapacitated two of the guards from behind. They fell to the ground. The remaining two turned, one was knocked unconscious by Tony who used the butt of his hand gun, the second fell to the ground as McGee griped his neck with his right hand.

Tony looked at McGee with surprise. "Neat trick," he said, failing to totally hide his admiration. "You'll have to show me how you did that."

McGee smiled shyly. "Pressure points. I have been taking lessons." He looked at Ziva who smiled at him.

They started stripping the uniforms off of the guards and putting them on then McGee & Ziva tied and gagged the guards whilst Tony kept look out at the door.

-----

Gibbs sat in the ready room adjacent to the portal room. As soon as the lights went out he moved swiftly and incapacitated one of the two guards watching over him the second drew his weapon and pointed it at Gibbs.

Shannon appeared beside the guard and appeared to whisper something into the guard's ear; he looked surprised and fell to the ground.

There was no hesitation, Gibbs armed himself. He thanked his wife for her help; she smiled and vanished again.

-----

The emergency lighting came on it the portal room. Ritzmann was visibly surprised to see Drake still standing in front of him.

"So what's happening?" asked Drake.

"I don't know," answered Ritzmann, rushing to a communications panel. He pushed a button "Security unit 4 report…" There was no reply.

Suddenly the emergency lighting dimmed and the huge electromagnets around the time portal hummed. The air seemed to shimmer within the giant ring. Ritzmann looked mystified.

"Where is the portal drawing its energy from?" he asked a technician.

The technician obviously close to panic checked his control panel and shook his head. "I have no idea sir. This is impossible."

Kelly appeared in front of the portal, she turned to Drake and smiled then walking forward, she vanished into time.

"Where was the portal linked to?" Ritzmann directed the question to another frantic technician

"I don't know sir, all of my controls are blank. According to my panel the portal is inactive…"

Ritzmann was confused and angry; turning to Drake he asked, "Who was the little girl?"

"Awww, now you're shaking my faith in you. I thought you knew everything." Drake was waiting for a signal.

"What has she gone to do?!" Ritzmann shouted.

The lighting brightened and the portal stopped humming. Drake smiled at Ritzmann and walked over to the ring. The lights dimmed again and again the portal hummed and Drake walked through and vanished.

Ritzmann knew that his only chance of finding out where the two activations went lay in the chair room. He picked up he antique revolver and rushed off to interrogate Darrel Ritter.

-----

Gibbs looked into the portal room, technicians rushed around trying to locate the cause or the power source for the two portal activations that had just occurred. He watched as Ritzmann rushed out of the room.

Two guards stood at the exit of the portal room. Gibbs walked out of the ready room and headed for the door. The guards looked and barred his way.

"Stand down." Gibbs commanded. The guards looked confused.

"Sorry sir you have no authority to give orders." the guard said, trying to sound like he was sure.

Gibbs smiled. "Capitan Ritzmann has a situation and he needs my help. Do you two think he will be very forgiving if you hold me here?"

"But sir…." The guard began.

"Stand down now!!" shouted Gibbs in his best gunnery sergeant voice. The guard stepped back in shock and allowed Gibbs to pass.

Gibbs stood and thought for a moment, then headed off towards the stairwell. As he rounded the corner at the junction of three corridors he saw three guards. He approached silently; all three of them had their backs to him and appeared to be deep in conversation. He put his weapon to the head of the guard closest to him.

"Gibbs!" exclaimed McGee, smiling broadly.

"Hey Boss…" said Tony looking at the gun at his temple. "You're not planning on shooting me are you?"

It was at this point that Gibbs saw the collection of explosive charges that his team was in the process of arming. "It's good to see you all…. I think," he said, smiling at them and lowering his pistol. "What do you plan to do with those?" he asked pointing at the charges.

"Well we… ummm I was told that we would receive further instructions once we had armed them," said Tony.

"Oh? And who told you that DiNozzo?" Gibbs asked.

Tony hesitated and smiled sheepishly. "Mrs. Mallard…."

"What!?" said Gibbs in surprise.

"She said that Drake had told her what to tell us…." said Tony expecting Gibbs to explode at him.

"Oh…Ok… So who was to give you further instruction?" He asked.

"Well I was hopping it was going to be you boss." answered Tony, surprised at Gibbs reaction

"Well I'm making this up as I go along…" said Gibbs. "But I would guess that we should put a stop to the operation here."

"What do they do here boss?" McGee asked.

"Tim, if I told you I don't think you would believe me…. I'm not sure I believe it." answered Gibbs.

Shannon appeared beside Gibbs and much to his surprise they all reacted to her. They could all see her.
Part 22 by Albert Bester
John Drake walked into the NCIS office. It was dimly lit and it appeared that no one was there. He was about to disappear to visit Gibbs' home when he saw that Gibbs was actually sleeping at his desk.

"Gibbs!" Drake shouted. "Damn it, wake up!"

Gibbs stirred; lifting his head from his desk he looked around and saw Drake. "Who the hell are you?"

"Gibbs, there is something I need to tell you." Drake hardly knew where to start. "Firstly I'm not really here, well I mean, I am here but I'm sort of a ghost."

"You don't look like a ghost…" Gibbs looked at him and then he stood up and walked over to Drake. He held out his hand and tried to touch Drakes shoulder. His hand passed straight through.

Drake smiled. "Yeah it still freaks me out too." He waited for a moment to allow Gibbs to get up to speed. "You have just lost a good friend and you wish to kill the man responsible."

"You got that right and there is no point in anybody, dead or alive trying to change my mind." Gibbs was emphatic.

"I have reasons to want him dead too, but that is not exactly why I'm here." Drake paused and hoped that he could persuade Gibbs to believe the version of history that he knew and then motivate him to change it for the better. "There is something that I need you to understand but you might find it difficult."

"Well you have persuaded me that you are a ghost, how much harder could it be to believe?" Gibbs asked, looking worried.

"Well, be honest Gibbs, you know about ghosts. Kelly keeps you company after all." Drake waited for a reaction.

Gibbs looked at Drake and smiled. "So what unbelievable facts do you have for me?"

"Ok I'm from the future, I know what is going to happen over the next few days and I'm here to help you change it." Again Drake waited.

Gibbs walked round to his chair and sat down. "So tell me, what is going to happen?"

"I'll tell you first what you need to change. You are about to get a new team member. Her name is Ziva David." Drake checked Gibbs for reaction again, seeing none he continued, "She is an agent for Mossad and you need to trust her."

Gibbs did react this time. "Well that's not going to happen!"

"If you don't trust her Ari will escape and kill again." Drake looked at Gibbs "If it is any help you do trust Ziva in the future, but you left it too long and he got away."

"So how do we get the bastard? What do I have to do?" Gibbs asked. He listened to Drake with great care and was careful to remember every detail.

------

Five of them were in the Abby's lab; Director Shepard was trying to convince Gibbs that Ari should not be a target as he was still believed to be working undercover for Mossad. Gibbs was clearly unconvinced even though Abby & Tony were clearly in favour of playing it safe and assuming that Ari did not kill Kate.

Gibbs knew better. "Give me a minute alone with Ms. David, please."

Once they had a little privacy Gibbs said, "You found out about my first wife and my daughter."

Ziva responded, "Yes. I'm sorry."

"Then we know why Ari is shooting at women then, don't we?" he said trying to make his point clear.

Still unconvinced Ziva answered, "If he wanted you to know he is the sniper, why didn't he use your rifle? An M40?"

Without betraying the emotion that he felt Gibbs looked at Ziva and said, "The Bravo 51 he fired is called a 'Kate'."

After a moment of hesitation Ziva answered, "I still don't believe Ari is the sniper." Thinking further she added, "What you have said should be investigated."

Obviously not satisfied with this answer Gibbs goes on, "Well, when the media gets wind of this, it's going to create a furor."

Irritated Ziva asks, "Are you threatening to go to the media?"

With a slight smile Gibbs says. "No, not me. This can stay between Mossad and NCIS."

Ziva is now curious. "In exchange for what? Setting up Ari for you to kill?"

Gibbs, still smiling, shakes his head slightly. "No. Setting me up for Ari. And if I'm wrong about this, he won't show up."

Ziva is by now almost convinced to go along with Gibbs on this if only to prove him wrong. "And if you're right?"

"Then I'm counting on you to back me up." Gibbs answered looking Ziva in the eye.

------

Some time later in Gibbs' basement there is a confrontation between Gibbs and Ari, with Ari pointing Gibbs' own M40 at him. A shot rings out and Ari falls to the ground. He has been shot in the head.

Ziva appears at the top of the stairs and walks down obviously upset, she begins to pray over Ari's body and through tears of remorse and sadness she explains to Gibbs that Ari was her half brother.

It was then that Gibbs knew that Drake was right and Ziva could be trusted

Drake was standing in the corner of the basement and as soon as the heart of Ari Haswari beat its last, he began to fade and disappear. Ari was dead so Drake no longer existed as a ghost.
Part 23 by Albert Bester
Shannon was explaining what the plan was, why they could all see her and what exactly had been happening at Camp Hero at the Eastern end of Long Island. The whole team was in shock; pretty much everything that they believed had been brought into question by the existence of this facility.

"So you're telling us that this all started with an experiment in 1943 onboard the USS Eldridge, but now it goes back as far as recorded history?" McGee was having a lot of trouble fitting this new view of reality into his logical and ordered view of the world.

Shannon smiled at McGee kindly, "Yes, Tim, that is exactly what I'm telling you. But there is more to it than even that." She looked at each of them in turn. "Because of the nature of the work they do here, the whole base is excluded from normal time. That is why you can all see me. Most people can see spirits here because outside of the normal flow of time, reality is changed."

Gibbs shook his head. All of this was a little too much for him to accept. "So what else do they do here?" he almost did not want to know.

"The people in charge of this base have been working at controlling the evolution of the abilities of the human race. For the most part they have succeeded," Shannon answered, watching as the truth of this settled in.

"But what can we do about it? I mean, won't they just use their time machine to go and stop us?" asked Tony as he tried to come to terms with all that he had been told in the past 10 minutes.

"There are parts of the mechanism for the time portal that exist outside of time. They are irreplaceable, and if we can destroy them the whole of the operation of this place will cease," Shannon informed all of them.

"But if we do, then won't history change?" Ziva asked with a sceptical tone in her voice. "Don't we run the risk of disappearing and ceasing to exist?"

"When you leave the area of this base then the changes in history will affect both you and your perception of the world. You might remember all that has happened here, but it will be as a dream to you. Your consciousness will, to an extent, be rewritten," Shannon said.

"I really don't like the sound of that," said McGee.

"It is, to a certain extent, too late to worry about it Tim," answered Shannon. "Two events in history have already been changed that will affect your lives."

Gibbs looked up into his beloved wife's eyes. She looked back at him and with sadness she shook her head, "No Jethro, not that. I'm sorry."

He understood instantly and sadness took the place of hope. Ziva placed her hand on his shoulder. "Come on boss, we have work to do," she said. She knew what he was hoping for, and felt sadness at his hurt.

"Ok, we have eight 2lb high explosive charges," Tony said, looking at the ghost of Gibbs' wife "What do we need to do with them?"

"Six of the eight charges need to be placed on this level, two need to go at the main power conduits in the portal room, and two more must go in the chair room. This is vital as it is through the use of the chair all of their flesh and blood operatives can be kept effective as they travel," Shannon paused as Gibbs snorted and stifled a cynical laugh.

"You mean, it is the person in the chair that keeps them sane," he said with a note of bitterness.

"Yes Jethro, the chair operative is Darrel Ritter, and he is prepared to give his life to help us…" Shannon said.
Gibbs was shocked, "But we found Darrel Ritter dead when we arrived at the base. How can he be here?"

Shannon smiled. "Only time will tell," she said cryptically.

"What about the guards and technicians that work here?" asked McGee.

"I'm afraid that they will be casualties. Some will die, and others will just cease to exist. But none of them can be allowed to leave here, as they have all been outside of the normal flow of time for too long and they will pose a threat to others if they try to join the rest of the world," said Shannon.

McGee looked horrified "How many people work here?"

"About a hundred, but only ten or fifteen of those are from our time. The rest have been recruited over the years, and would die as soon as they left anyway," answered Shannon, seeing the worry in Tim's eyes.

"But how can they have been recruited? I was told that time travel could only be one way. Ritzmann said that it was only possible to travel back not forwards," Gibbs voice was harsh and edged with distrust.

"Yes Jethro, and the whole of this base was shifted back in time when it was first commissioned. People have been recruited by force for over hundreds of years," Shannon sounded angry as she passed on this information.

McGee was starting to understand, "So we cannot send them back to their time, because they would change history because of what they know and have experienced."

"That's right Tim. Most of them have been alive for several hundred years, and what ever happens they will die." Shannon was obviously upset by the actions carried out in this place.

"So where do the two other charges on this level go?" asked Ziva, getting back to the plan.

"There is a sealed room down that corridor," Shannon pointed. "Inside that room is a device that provides a special kind of energy. The device is called a Zero Point Module and it must be destroyed. This is vital, as it is a major component of the time portal."

"So where do the last two charges go?" Tony asked.

"The final charges must be placed in the secondary control room on the second sublevel. This room provides the link to the outside for the area isolated from normal time, and as such must only be destroyed after you leave the base, or there is the risk of you becoming cut off from time its self." Shannon made it clear that this was important.

"I take it that being cut off from time would be bad," stated McGee.

"Very bad," said Shannon. "All of the casualties from the Eldridge were victims of being cut off from time. Best case is you will end up totally and irreversibly insane. The worst case is very, very unpleasant….."

Gibbs drew a deep breath he gathered his thoughts. "Tony, Ziva you go to the Zero Point Module. McGee you go with Shannon to the chair room. I'll take the portal room."

"Umm are you going to need any help boss?" asked Tony.

"No. I already have an understanding with the guards in there. I don't think they will give me any trouble…"

The team checked their gear one last time and went to work.
part 24 by Albert Bester
PART 24. (Flash Back Revisited)

Drake had spent the day with an Israeli agent exchanging information. Something about the meeting didn't feel right.


He had learned to trust his instincts. This time his controller had told him in no uncertain terms to "ignore what you think and do your job".


The job was done, contact made and information had been exchanged. But still…he couldn't put his finger on it.


He got out of his car and walked over to his flat. The light was on, so he knew that Samantha was home. He was about to walk in the door when a young girl appeared beside him.

"Hello, who are you?" he asked surprised.

"My name is Kelly and I'm here to warn you, John Drake," she said. Her voice was sad and soft.

"Warn me about what? And how do you know my name?" He was disturbed by this girl and the way she spoke to him.

"How I know you is difficult to explain; there is no time… You and your wife are in danger." She looked at him and the truth of her words seemed to make the air grow cold.

Drake tried to shrug off the feeling of fear that mingled with the bad feeling he had all day working with the Israeli. "Who put you up to this?" his tone was clipped and harsh.

"When you see me again you must react swiftly, because the one you do not trust will be about to strike, and death will follow," Kelly's voice echoed, and before his eyes she faded and disappeared.


Drake stood motionless and tried to work out what he had just seen. "Where did you go? What are you playing at?" he asked the empty space before him…. "This is some sort of crazy trick," he told himself, and totally failed to convince himself.

He opened the door and walked into the flat, trying to shake off the feeling of doom that was growing in him.


"Hello sweetheart, had a good day?" Samantha asked.


"The usual; paper work and filing," he lied, and he hated lying to Sam. But he was told that as far as friends and family were concerned, he was a civil servant. Every time he had to lie he felt his gut churn.


She told him she loved him; she made him feel good. She was the most honest, clean and true thing in his life, and he loved her more than he could ever hope to put into words, and now he was in fear of losing her.


"I love you too, my angel, my life."


She laughed and smacked him on the butt, and told him to get ready.


They were going out for a meal with friends. Drake didn't want to, but arrangements had been made and he knew how much Sam was looking forward to it.


The restaurant was busy and they were early.


"A drink in the bar?" he asked.


"Love to babe. I'll have a Baileys."


"Jack Daniels and a Baileys," Drake said to the bartender, who busied himself with glasses and bottles.


"Ice?" was the only question that the bartender asked. "No, thanks," replied Drake.


He took the glasses over to a small table where Sam was waiting. Moments later, Mark and Wanda arrived and a social evening commenced.


Later. They were leaving the restaurant. Mark and Wanda had left moments earlier. Drake and Sam were crossing the road to their Volvo.


Kelly appeared in the road in front of Drake and said, "Now John, it's going to happen now."

A car pulled up just in front of them. "Drake!" called the driver. "John Drake!"


Drake looked and saw it was the agent he had spent the day with. He was pointing a handgun.


Drake turned and shoved his wife to the ground.


A shot rang out Drake was hit in the shoulder and the car sped away, wheels screeching. As he fell, he turned and saw his beloved wife crumpling behind him. The bullet had passed through him and was lost in the street in front of him. As he was collapsing he heard Samantha scream his name; blackness surrounded him, and he fell unconscious.


An unknown length of time later, he awoke in a bright, clean hospital room and found his wife sitting beside him.

"Hello sweetheart," she said with a smile. "You're going to be fine, but you lost a lot of blood. You have to rest so don't try to move."


She looked tired, but she was alive. John drake was happy and near unconscious again. Then he noticed the young girl standing by his bedside. She smiled and said, "It is all now as it should be. Rest, John Drake; we may yet meet again," and with that she vanished.
part 25 by Albert Bester
PART 25. (A Day to Remember.)


McGee followed Shannon to the chair room. He prepared to burst into the room with his Sig Sauer in his hand. Shannon smiled at him and walked through the door.

"Ah ok I didn't think of that" McGee was out of his element; ghosts did not fir into his view of the world.

Shannon reappeared "It's all clear Tim, you can come in."

McGee opened the door and looked cautiously inside. It was as he was looking around the 10-foot square room with a chair in the middle of the room surrounded by more bizarre looking technology that it occurred to him that something was not right. According to McGee's calculations the chair room was directly behind the time portal yet from all he had been told there was a tunnel that was at least 60feet long behind the portal. This was a very strange place it did not seem to obey the laws of physics.

"Perhaps the laws of physics are only guide lines." McGee thought aloud "So where is Darrel Ritter?" he asked

"He is sort of here only he is not here when we are… He is helping us to do this by displacing time within time… You need to get out of here quickly Tim." Said Shannon.

"I have something to do here and you should go and help Jethro" Shannon started to fade.

"But…" said McGee

"No buts probie! Go!" Shannon's voice was commanding and it startled McGee into action. He checked the charges that he had just placed, set the timers and activated them.
He stood up looked around the room once more and set off to help Gibbs.


Tony and Ziva stood just down the corridor from where the Zero Point Module room was located. There were two guards stationed either side of the door.
Ziva checked her uniform and set off down the corridor towards the two guards before Toy could say a word.

"How long have you been on duty here?" Ziva asked one of the guards

He looked at her then at the other guard. "We have been here for about 30 minutes" he said it was obvious that he was curious about Ziva

"So you're not getting off any time soon?" asked Ziva looking a little disappointed and flashing a sexy smile at the guard.

"Well I might be able to get a few minutes… if you like?" he said looking into Ziva's eyes and smiling

She looked at the other guard, he smiled and nodded
Ziva and the guard headed up the corridor in the opposite direction from where Tony was hiding around the corner. The two of them went into a store room as the second guard watched enviously. Moments after entering the storeroom the guard was unconscious as was the guard remaining at the door, Tony having crept up behind him and used the butt of his Sig again.

"Saving ammunition today" he said with a grin.

Ziva joined him and they went into the room. Dragging the second guard with them.
The device on a pedestal in the centre of the room was very strange to look at; it appeared to be clockwork and had several crystals within its structure. When observed the devices mechanical parts seemed at times to pass through each other and as hard as Tony looked he could not see any cables or power conduits.

They placed the charges, set and activated the timer and then headed for the portal room with the intention of helping Gibbs.


Gibbs had entered the portal room and told the guards to take the technicians to the cafeteria, after a couple of moments hesitation they had done as they were told and Gibbs was alone in the room.

He found that he could not look at the device before him without feeling regret for the missed opportunity to save his family. Drawing a deep breath he set about placing the charges just passed the entry ring of the portal.

As Gibbs finished setting the timers McGee walked into the room, closely followed by Tony and Ziva.

"What are you doing here? Didn't I tell you to get out once you had set your charges?" Gibbs barked

"No boss" they all said in unison

"You didn't say anything about it boss." Said McGee

Gibbs smiled "Well come on let's get out of here before we all get blasted into history."

They all headed for the second sub level.


Darrel Ritter sat in the chair and Capitan Ritzmann paced back and forth trying to persuade Ritter to answer his questions

"Tell me! Where and when did Drake go? What is he planning?"

"It does not matter any more." Said Ritter. He closed his eyes and concentrated hard the air in the chair room shimmered and both of the men vanished"

Moments later Shannon appeared in the chair and she took control.


Tony and McGee stood guard out side of the secondary control room. Ziva and Gibbs were inside placing the charges.

"Ok so when we activate these timers we have exactly 4 minutes to get out of here." Said Gibbs

"Ok. On three." Said Ziva.

They counted in unison "one, two three. Run!" they leapt to their feet and hurried out of the room telling Tim and Tony to do likewise and rum.


On the surface two men appeared in a clearing Ritter had a colt automatic in his hand that he had be concealing in the chair for years. Ritzmann held his colt peacemaker he was disorientated and could feel that something was happening to him.

"Ritter what are you doing." He said his voice strangled with pain

"You put me in that chair because my brain was different…. You stole my life from me and made me part of your dammed machine. Now with the help of an angel I'm taking my life back!" Darrel said with a tone of triumph in his voice. Having been warned he was careful to keep his gun away from the tree at his right hand side.

Ritter was getting younger as Ritzmann watched and he could feel himself getting older and weaker. He knew his only chance was to kill Ritter. He pointed his peacemaker at Ritter and a shot rang out.

Ritzmann's expression was one of shock. A red stain spread across his chest and slowly he began to collapse as Gibbs ran towards the spot where the two men stood.

"Thank you." Said Ritter "You saved my life."

"Yeah well I never liked him" Gibbs checked Ritzmann for a pulse and felt the man's life slip away at the moment that Ritzmann died Gibbs was sure that he saw Ritter relax.

Ritter drew a deep breath and looked around "This is the first time I have been outside of that place for many years." He looked at his hands and smiled. "I have my life back." He began to cry.

As Tony, Ziva & McGee arrived they all felt the ground shake. They looked at each other, then a second tremor and then the world seemed to spin wildly and they were all plunged into darkness.


McGee opened his eyes and found him self still in the dark. He was in his own bed. He turned on his bedside light and looked around. Moments later he was out of bed and getting dressed. Shortly after that he was in his car and on route to the office.

As McGee arrived at the check in desk at the NCIS building Tony and Ziva arrived too. They all looked at each other

"I just had the maddest dream," said McGee

"Did you?" asked Ziva with a slightly shocked expression.

The three of them were in the elevator still trying to work out what had happened when in unison they all said "Camp Hero, Montauk!"

They walked into the bullpen and found Gibbs sitting at his desk drinking coffee. He looked at them and smiled. "You are all very early for work."

Tony spoke up first "Boss we all…."

"I know DiNozzo. I was there remember." Gibbs said interrupting him.

"But it was a dream…." Said McGee his tone of voice betraying his disbelief.

"I'm going to get some coffee," said Ziva deciding she did not want to think about this.

Gibbs produced a cardboard drinks carrier with three cups of coffee waiting for them.
They each took the drinks proffered to them

"Wow. Boss you even remembered the hazelnut." Said Tony shocked.

"What we experienced both did and did not happen." Said Gibbs "I think we all need to check that our view of recent history is correct if we are going to be able to do our jobs."

They all agreed with him and they each sat at their desks and began to check what they knew against what had been recorded in the NCIS database and other information sources then talked into the early hours of the morning each member of the team closer because of events that may or may not have happened…..

THE END…….OR IS IT?
This story archived at http://www.ncisfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=2044