Is It Really That Hard? by hellrazer
Summary: Gibbs asks Kate a question and she is still thinking about it a few hours later.
Categories: Gibbs/Kate Characters: Kate Todd, Leroy Jethro Gibbs
Genre: Episode Related, First Time, Friendship, Humor, UST
Pairing: Gibbs/Kate
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: No Word count: 1215 Read: 3047 Published: 11/18/2007 Updated: 11/18/2007

1. Is It Really That Hard? by hellrazer

Is It Really That Hard? by hellrazer
Author's Notes:
Gibbs asks Kate a question and she is still thinking about it a few hours later.
Is it that hard to believe Kate I Might Be Attractive to a Woman

Kate POV

The drive to Melissa Dorn’s house was eventful, if you compared it to the one Tony and I had taken from Harmony back to NCIS HQ, with neither Gibbs nor I knowing what to expect when we got there, but we did talk about the case in the car. Arriving at the house we both exited the car and for some reason Gibbs asked me if I knew the name of the tree we were standing in front of.

I informed him that Botany was not my strongest subject but then again I thought he knew that since he knew everything else about me, but still confused as to why he would ask a question about the tree. It seemed so weird that he would ask me a question related to the plant family, as it seemingly had nothing to do with our current case, or so I thought.

He didn’t say anything else and we continued on to the front door of Melissa’s house, and as she opened it and asked if she could be of any assistance to us I caught a glimpse of my boss’s face and saw that there was absolutely no trace of the usual grumpiness, that was ever present. I had never witnessed a reaction like that from him in the few months we had been working together, and I had to admit it disturbed me to a certain extent and I was not entirely sure why.

The entire time we were at her house Gibbs was as unGibbs as he possibly could have been. I mean he was actually flirting with the redhead, and even though my facial expression at that time showed I was somewhat exasperated by it, I could say that it was not the same reaction my brain and emotions had as I heard more and more of the conversation as I continued to inconspicuously search the house.

The statement that caught my attention and stayed in my mind was “I can sample the frosting on a cake without leaving a fingerprint.” I mean how on earth could you do that without leaving a fingerprint? Either he had some serious skill or he was really trying to impress her.

Then again I thought to myself, he did not need to try that hard to impress anyone, with him it was part of the package whether you liked it or not but more importantly whether he knew it or not, my guess was with the latter, but my brain was buzzing so my judgment was momentarily seriously compromised.

However that was not the end of it as I had thought. When I had completed my search of the house and he was done flirting with Melissa we stepped out and started making our way back to the car. I knew it would bother me until I voiced my question and so I asked him “you weren’t buying any of that were you?”

It led to the usual response of the smirk making its way to his lips. “Any of what?” he asked carrying on the conversation “you know… her charm?” I asked slightly amused and to that he replied “Is it really that hard to believe Kate that I might be attractive to a woman?” “That’s not what I meant!” I flustered but he didn’t leave space for anything else and continued talking about the case.

And now four hours later this was the question still occupying my mind, long after I had left HQ and Gibbs back there after solving the case. Lounging around with a few friends okay two friends in my apartment and having a good time when my mind ran into ‘Forbidden Gibbs Territory’ and I wandered into my own little world for a few minutes before I am rudely interrupted and brought out of my reverie.

Answering my ringing cellphone I see Abby’s name flashing on the screen and I groan as I hope it’s not another case. Before I can say my hello’s or anything else Abby starts, “Kate, we decided to go out but then we realised none of the nice joints were open on a week night so we’re outside your apartment totally bored with nowhere else to go!” Abby’s tone sounded so disappointed that all I could do was walk up to my front door and let her and whoever else was with her in.

Before they could all enter the apartment, my phone rings for a second time and I answer this time without bothering to look at the caller ID. “Oh hey Ryan” I greet my current man of month. “Yeah I know but work is work there’s no getting away from it… I just got in a few minutes ago and Damien and Cam are here.” I slowly retreat to my room to carry on with my conversation as I do not want to be disturbed as it’s been a while since I have last seen or spoken to Ryan because of our varying work times.

A good ten minutes later I feel a strange presence behind me but I make no effort to turn around to see who it is, and continue with my conversation. “Hey Kate!” I hear Cameron shout from the living room “there’s someone here who wants to see you and I don’t think they’re going to wait too long as he’s rather impatient. CRAP. I don’t know where he went to,” I can imagine her looking around my living room which at the moment I assumed was very cramped with people.

“I’ll be out in a minute!” I shout back so she knows what to tell the guest who is impatiently waiting for me. Saying bye to Ryan is a bit of a task as neither of us want to end the conversation but it has to be done, seeing as I still have guests and leaving them unattended was a very, very bad thing to do. I hear Ryan whispering his sweet nothings to me and I in turn am about to do the same before I hang up, but before I do so, I make a 180 and come face to face with my silver haired boss.

“DAMN” the word escapes my mouth before I can help myself and it only results in his famous smirk making its way to his lips. “I gotta go Ryan” I whisper into the phone and don’t even bother to say “I love you too” in return to his I love you. Gibbs takes a step closer to me and I can feel my heart beating faster than normal with the sudden invasion of my personal space. I can still hear Ryan saying bye but I close the phone and toss it onto the bed, ending that conversation, ready for the new one I know my boss will start.

And that is how I found myself at the end of a long day: face to face with my super sexy, extremely good looking boss standing as close to me as he can possibly be, a roguish look in his eye and smirking at my sudden slight discomfort. This is not a good situation for us to be in… and with him so close to me… my mind is reeling.
This story archived at http://www.ncisfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=2237