When by Special Agent Caz
Summary: When it happened, he couldn't...and it hurt.
Categories: Gibbs/Kate Characters: Kate Todd, Leroy Jethro Gibbs
Genre: Angst
Pairing: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 376 Read: 2215 Published: 12/21/2007 Updated: 12/21/2007

1. When by Special Agent Caz

When by Special Agent Caz
Author's Notes:
When it happened, he couldn't...and it hurt.
When it happened he couldn’t think.

The only thing going through his mind was the image of her, on the ground, not moving. She had taken the bullet for him.

When it happened he couldn’t speak.

He couldn’t form a coherent sentence, and he was too afraid to try. The only words coming to his mind where quite colourful and, he decided, probably inappropriate to say at the present time.

When it happened he couldn’t breath.

He stood there, panic gripped at him, and he didn’t know whether it was because he was struggling to take a breath or because one of his best agents was on the ground, hit by a bullet. He thought he should be hyperventilating by now, but he couldn’t even force himself to open his mouth and fill his lungs with one breath of air.

When it happened he couldn’t move.

His muscles were freezing up on him, he wanted to step up beside DiNozzo and check that she was alright, take her in his grip and just…hold her. He couldn’t force himself to move his legs, to even blink. It hurt.

When it happened he couldn’t hear.

No sound permeated his senses. He watched DiNozzo’s mouth move, but try as he might he couldn’t formulate the words. It was unnerving, unsettling. He couldn’t hear the sirens that he hoped to god were sounding as they raced to save his agent. He couldn’t hear anything, except his pulse beat.

Thump...thump…thump…thump…

When it happened he couldn’t be.


He felt his heart stop and his stomach drop. He couldn’t think. He couldn’t speak. He couldn’t breath. He couldn’t move. He couldn’t hear. But he could feel. And it hurt.

And when she got up and smirked at DiNozzo he took a breath.

He breathed deeply, a sigh of relief coming off of his lips as he stepped towards her, hearing but ignoring her sarcastic remark at Tony.

“You’re okay.” He stated, watching her tap her bullet proof vest and smile brightly at him.

And when it happened again he could breath.
He could think.
He could move.
He could speak.
He could hear.


He was all too aware of his surroundings, because this time there was no sarcastic remark to Tony, there was no smirk and she didn’t get up.

And his heart broke.
This story archived at http://www.ncisfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=2284