Family Ties by mrsdinozzo
Summary: A carfully planned *meet* goes terribly wrong...when is Tony going to learn to do as he's told??
Categories: Gibbs/DiNozzo Characters: None
Genre: Alternate Universe, Angst, Established relationship, Hurt/Comfort, Friendship
Pairing: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 12 Completed: No Word count: 26295 Read: 64137 Published: 01/07/2008 Updated: 05/15/2008
Story Notes:
this could end up a full length fic..I've some ideas already..so watch this space...

1. Family Ties by mrsdinozzo

2. Family Ties by mrsdinozzo

3. Family Ties by mrsdinozzo

4. Family Ties by mrsdinozzo

5. Family Ties by mrsdinozzo

6. Family Ties by mrsdinozzo

7. Family Ties by mrsdinozzo

8. Family Ties by mrsdinozzo

9. Family Ties by mrsdinozzo

9. Family Ties by mrsdinozzo

10. Family Ties by mrsdinozzo

11. Family ties by mrsdinozzo

Family Ties by mrsdinozzo
Author's Notes:
A carfully planned *meet* goes terribly wrong...when is Tony going to learn to do as he's told??
Title: Family Ties
Author: mrsdinozzo
Rating: FRAO (but not just yet) FRM until further notice
Pairing: Tony/Gibbs/OMC
Story type: ficlet (but I’ll be playing with this a little so who knows…)


“TONY!” Gibbs bellowed " eyes wide in horror as the younger agent was slammed back against the wall of the basement boiler house only to fall forward unconscious and unmoving, a red stain seeping through the suede jacket over his left shoulder blade. The echo of the single gunshot still reverberated around the brick walls, through the myriad corridors until silence slid over the scene " the only imperceptible sound being Gibbs’s ragged breathing as he fell to his knees at Tony’s side " quickly checking for a pulse.

“Fuck,” Gibbs whispered as he eased Tony onto his back " grimacing as he pulled the shirt away from the bullet wound. “Fuck " fuck " fuck.” It was a through and through " and he was bleeding heavily. “Stay with me, Tony " stay with me!” Gibbs whispered as he frantically tried to tug his cell phone from his coat pocket.

Tony only groaned in response, grimacing in pain as his eyes flickered open for a moment or two and then closed to half mast " before his head lolled to one side and he passed out again.

His cell phone rang " jerking Gibbs into an animated response " he lifted it to his ear. “Thank Christ,” he hissed. “Ziva! Paramedics " now " Tony’s down " gunshot to the shoulder.” He paused. “How the hell should I know?” Again " a pause. “Ziva " quit yapping and get some paramedics here stat!”

Quickly getting to his feet, Gibbs pulled off his coat and fashioned it into a makeshift pillow, placing it gently beneath Tony’s head before taking his place at his lover’s side once more. The bleeding hadn’t gotten any worse " but it needed to be stopped, Gibbs glanced around the room and spotted a pile of what looked like grubby rags. “Beggars can’t be choosers " “ he murmured, grabbing a handful and pressing both hands over the exit and entry wounds. “Don’t you fucking die on me, DiNozzo " don’t you fucking dare!” His eyes were moist with unshed tears " fighting to control his emotions. He could not afford to lose it right now " but with Tony lying so still, so silent " fuck! Tony groaned again, only this time " he sounded weaker. A lot weaker. “Stay with me,” Gibbs demanded softly, keeping the pressure on his wound. “Stay with me, DiNozzo " please " stay with me.”

Footsteps " getting closer. Gibbs nearly screamed in relief " throwing the bloody rags aside and replacing them with fresh ones. “Over here!” he yelled. “Over here!” The footsteps became running steps " and Gibbs pulled in a deep calming breath " lowering his head before lifting it to find himself staring at his worst nightmare.

“Damn it to hell,” Michael DiNozzo frowned. “I thought I said I wanted him dead.” Tony’s father sneered down at the two men on the ground and then looked to the two thugs standing either side of him. “But no matter " you two can play with them for a while " Anthony’s not going anywhere soon by the look of him.”

“He’s your fucking son!” Gibbs shouted as the two heavies moved in.

“Him?” DiNozzo Senior snickered. “That’s no son of mine " he’s that thorn in my side " the millstone around my neck " and in a few days " he’ll be no more.”

“You’re insane,” Gibbs breathed. “Completely insane " you’re " “ Something hit him hard on the back of the head and he fell forward over Tony " unconscious.

“Thank you, gentlemen.” DiNozzo Senior acknowledged. “Bring these two, and find that Mossad woman " “

“And do what, sir?”

“Kill her " what else?”

TBC??
End Notes:
this could end up a full length fic..I've some ideas already..so watch this space...
Family Ties by mrsdinozzo
2am.

Gibbs was fast asleep beside his young lover, snoring gently as Tony stared up at the ceiling " his mind in a whirl. He yawned, scuffing a hand over his face, grimacing as the frustration of not being able to sleep God knew he needed to get some rest - so much so " he’d actually asked Gibbs if it was okay if they just slept tonight " with none of the preamble of sex and Gibbs " although curious " agreed but didn’t pursue it.

Tony slid out of bed, grabbing a pair of sweat pants from the floor and carrying them with him through to the bathroom. Ablutions over " he re-emerged to see Gibbs still deep in slumber and he padded barefoot across the room " pulling the door to as he made his way to the kitchen " grabbing a tall glass and pouring himself a long drink of ice cold water. He downed it without stopping and placed the glass to one side, leaning heavily on the counter to stare unseeing out of the window into the night beyond.

Mentally, he shook his head and turned, reaching into an overhead cupboard for his favourite night time comfort food " Captain Crunch cereal. He stared at the box for a moment or two and then opened it, using his fingers to scoop up the flakes into his mouth. With a sigh, he realised he was nearly at the bottom of the box so he tugged out the plastic bag containing the cereal, tossed the box onto the floor near the trash bin and settled down to finish the contents - wondering if now might be a good idea to start a pot of coffee going.

Pushing himself off the stool, cereal bag in hand, he walked into the living room and collected up a pile of papers that lay next to his computer printer. He then returned to the kitchen and dropped them onto the counter " eyes narrowing as he sought out the one email that had shaken him as he’d initially read it only hours before. He held up the single sheet and re-read it " twice and then with a whispered curse, he tore it up and shoved the remnants into the trash bin. Tipping up the nearly empty cereal bag and emptying the contents into his mouth, he munched noisily as he stared at the far wall, his hands crunching the bag into a ball which he then threw over his shoulder. Coffee was a go " and so what if the aroma woke Gibbs? He had enough crap going on in his head right now and he really didn’t care if Gibbs woke up pissed, grouchy or even " and he chuckled " horny " there was just no way that he, Tony, was going to be getting any sleep tonight and if Gibbs didn’t like it " there was always the front door.

The minute he’d thought that latter statement, Tony regretted it. Taking it out on Jethro wasn’t fair " he had had nothing to do with what had transpired over the past few days " and if he was careful, Jethro never would find out.

Setting the coffee pot on the stove, Tony yanked open the refrigerator door and stood for a moment trying to decide what to eat " and his stomach rumbled right on cue. Fishing out a pack of ham and a half block of emmental together with a bottle of ketchup, he helped himself to two slices of crusty bread and threw a sandwich together " but even as he slapped the second slice of bread on top he realised he wasn’t really hungry " this was just a comfort thing " and the sandwich remained uneaten as he poured himself a large mug of coffee and paced to the living room " collecting up the pile of papers and throwing them onto the sofa and settling himself cross-legged into one corner " mug near to hand on a small table.

“Damn it to hell,” he cursed in a hushed voice, ignoring the papers and letting his head fall back and clamping his eyes shut. “Why now? Why? It’s been five years of silence and now the bastard is demanding to see me?”

The *bastard* being his father " the bane of his existence for as long as he could remember " he’d long gotten over the idea that the only reason he’d been given life in the first place was as some sort of trophy " some sort of proof that the DiNozzos’ were the epitome of a happy, normal family. But behind the closed doors of the Hamptons mansion " it was far from *normal* - Tony briefly recalled many nights as a child huddled at the top of the stairs listening to his parents arguing " his mother screaming as DiNozzo Senior, in yet another drunken rage, took out his anger and rage at yet another imagined faux pas " fuelled by alcohol and paranoia " until the day she finally packed her bags and left dragging a bewildered ten year old Anthony in her wake.

DiNozzo Senior " not to be outdone " fought for and won custody of his son " his mother accepting a few million dollars in settlement and a house in Bermuda to keep her mouth shut and agree never to see Tony again. She kept her side of the bargain for about six months " until her letters and phone calls to Tony dried up and he heard nothing more. When he finally found the courage to ask his father what had happened, he was " surprised " to say the least when he was informed matter of factly that she’d had a boating accident and drowned. He remembered his father ruffling his hair and patting his shoulder as this news sank in " and then leaving him alone in the study " no words of comfort, no hug " no nothing. As usual, Tony had been left alone " confused and upset " he had not liked his mother, although she had her moments which were few and far between when he actually felt there was some connection between them, but all too soon she would be back to her old ways " playacting the devoted wife and mother and passing Tony off onto the nearest member of their vast house staff while she was let loose with DiNozzo Senior’s credit cards " and her habitual dalliances with his chauffeur.

It had not been long after his mothers’ death that Tony began to notice strangers entering the house to meet with his father. The driveway was frequently filled with black and dark blue sedans, BMW’s, Alfa Romeo’s along with some very expensive looking " obviously top of the range models. These strangers only spoke Italian and clammed up immediately on sighting either any of the staff or Tony. He had decided he didn’t like any of these big, brutish men " and tried to stay out of their way as much as possible but it was when, purely by accident, he overheard two of them talking out by the pool one day " he kept himself hidden behind the long dark drapes of the summer house doors, peeking out and watching them intently " when one of them pulled out a gun. Obviously a new purchase from the way the two men were admiring it, passing it from hand to hand and eyeing up the sight " it scared Tony to the core.

Any further thoughts of his past vanished when he realised he suddenly wasn’t alone and he opened his eyes to see Gibbs standing over him " a sure sign he was tired, he hadn’t even heard him approach. “Sorry,” he said swinging his legs off the sofa. “Can’t sleep.”

“Want to talk?” Gibbs asked, stepping back to let Tony stand.

“Nah,” Tony shook his head. “Nothing for you to worry about.”

“Liar,” Gibbs tapped the back of the younger man’s head.

“Jethro " leave it? Please?” Tony collected up his mug and took a swig, grimacing as he realised his coffee was cold. “Want some?”

“Sure,” Gibbs frowned, staring into Tony’s eyes intently. “Leave what, Tony?”

“Don’t do this, Boss.” Tony eased passed him. “I can handle it " really.” Gibbs stopped him with a hand on his arm, fingers digging in lightly. “Really.” He stared down at the hand and pulled away with a sigh, turning to face his lover with a small smile of apology.

“I wasn’t going to say anything,” Gibbs began, leading the way into the kitchen.

“Then don’t,” Tony replied a little too sharply as Gibbs poured two fresh mugs of coffee.

“Your father’s back.” Gibbs leaned against the counter " watching Tony’s profile keenly.

“No, he isn’t.”

“Tony " I was checking emails earlier, you have to learn to clear the screen before you leave the computer " I read his message.”

“So you read it,” Tony shrugged. He lifted his green eyes to capture Gibbs’ steely blue ones. “Just make sure you stay out of it, Jethro " it’s between me and him " no one else " please?”

“Nope,” Gibbs shook his head. “I’ve been itching to meet with this megalomaniac for some time, Tony " and now just seems as good a time as any.”

“Yeah, right.” Tony snorted. “And your idea of a meeting wouldn’t include a baseball bat would it?”

“Aw,” Gibbs grinned. “Give me some credit, DiNozzo " just a nice civilised chat " where I tell him to stay the fuck out of your life " “

“Too late for that,” Tony mused, resting his chin on an upraised hand. “He’s always there " somewhere " beavering away at some new scheme to force me over to his side,” he paused. “Wherever I go " whatever I do " he always manages to track me down and fuck things up.”

“That is precisely why I think he and I should have a talk, Tony " maybe I can get him to back off.”

“Boss,” Tony sighed again. “We’ve been over this before " too many times. He’s my problem, not yours. I can fight my own corner " hell I’ve been fighting the bastard all my life and bringing you into the equation will just make things a whole lot worse.”

“How’d he get your email address?” Gibbs asked before draining his mug.

Tony made to answer and then pulled in a deep breath, letting it out slowly as he got to his feet. “I’m going back to bed,” he said, deliberately avoiding the question. “Coming?”

“Not until I get an answer,” Gibbs shrugged. “How’d he get your email?”

“I said leave it, Jethro.” Tony growled, lifting his hands palms outward like a barrier. “And I meant it.”

“So did I,” Gibbs countered. “How?”

“Get off my freakin’ back!” Tony hissed. “I’m going to bed and you " you can do what the hell you like " just shut up about the fucking email!”

“Fine,” Gibbs pushed himself off the counter and walked to the door. “He’s sending you a first class air ticket by recorded delivery " he wants you back west in two days " are you going?”

“What the hell do you think?” Tony glared at the older man. “Am I fuck!”

“Which means you’re thinking about it,” Gibbs stated. “Only " if you decide you’re going, I’m coming with you.”

“Look,” Tony groaned in exasperation, letting his head fall forward as his shoulders relaxed. “I will say this once " and once only. He’s my father and I can deal with this in my own way, Gibbs. I neither need nor do I want your help " given the choice " “

“Given the choice,” Gibbs frowned. “You can run " and keep running from him " but going by his past record " like you said " he’ll find you again or you can face him with me watching your six. Who’s to say that one day " he’ll find you and I won’t be there to haul your ass out of trouble. You’ve told me a lot about him " and the plain fact is " I don’t like him.”

“There aren’t a lot of people you do like are there, Boss?” Tony sounded flippant.

“No " there aren’t, Tony.” Gibbs admitted with a nod. “And your old man is top of that list " always has been.”

“Why so personal?” Tony sighed " brushing a hand through his hair. “Anyone would think he’d been fucking with you all these years.”

“In a way, he has, DiNozzo.”

“I’m way too tired for all this crap,” Tony shook his head and headed for the door. “Enough for tonight " just sleep on it.”

“Tony?” Gibbs hadn’t moved as his young lover turned to face him again.

“What? I said enough already!”

“Yeah, I heard you " “ Gibbs stepped up until they were practically nose to nose. “DiNozzo Senior " he’s fucked with you all this time, and in the five years you’ve been with NCIS, he’s still fucking with you.”

“Meaning?”

“We’ve been together for nearly four years, Tony.” Gibbs leaned in and kissed Tony gently on the mouth. “He messes with you " he’s messing with me.”

“And a pissed off Gunny can be dangerous for his health?” Tony nearly smiled at that and chuckled, lowering his head as he took both Gibbs’s hands in his.

“Kind of,” Gibbs flashed a grin, squeezing Tony’s right hand tightly in affection.

“I get what you’re saying, Boss.” Tony stepped back, releasing Gibbs’s left hand. “Look " if it makes you feel any better " let me go see him. I won’t be staying at the house " I’ll be in town " a hotel. If I need help, I’ll holler " good enough?”

“Nope,” Gibbs shook his head. “Not good enough.” Tony stared into Gibbs’ eyes, trying to read something there " trying to understand why Gibbs would want to even contemplate confronting his father but if he was looking for answers, he didn’t get any. He could also see that there was no way Gibbs was going to back down over this " and the last thing he needed was someone watching his six. Fine " he hated his father and the feeling was plainly mutual " but the old man’s demands to see him could be completely innocent. He was out of the will, he was in the wrong job, he’d brought disgrace on the family by not doing what his father had wanted. Part of him wanted to believe that the so-called *meeting* was just a chance for DiNozzo Senior to reiterate what a waste of space his son really was " a meeting that would descend all too soon into the usual slanging match of abuse from both sides, his father waving a cheque book in his face if only Tony would give up working for the Government and come home like a good little boy and be at his father’s side and take over if and when the inevitable happened " which, as far as Tony was concerned, could not happen fast enough. The other half played out a myriad scenarios " none of them good " and none of them pretty. “I’ve seen his file, Tony. It’s three inches thick, for crying out loud " he’s got his fingers in more freakin’ pies than Donald Trump! But dig deep, dig beneath the man with more fronts than Bloomingdales " he’s an intelligent, calculating bastard who has more than a third of LA under his thumb " “

“And it’s been that way for years, Gibbs.” Tony hitched a hip on a stool. “They don’t call him the Teflon King for nothing " because nothing ever sticks. You’ve no chance " neither have I. Just give me some time out with him " and then I’m turning my back on him forever " I’ll just walk away and get on with my own life.”

“Turning your back could be the last thing you do, DiNozzo.”

“Okay,” Tony stood up again, facing Gibbs with a determined look on his face. “When you look at me " what do you see? Huh? Some shmuck who can’t look after himself? Some half bit a-hole who’ll run for the fucking hills when things turn nasty? Huh? Because they will turn nasty " as they always do! It’s happened before, it’ll happen again " I’ve dealt with it all before and can do so again - *without* your help Jethro! Stay out of it!” He glared at the older agent, his jaw clenching and unclenching.

“He’s won again, Tony.” Gibbs said with a half smile.

“What?”

“What just happened " you going all defensive.”

“Huh?”

“Does he know about me?” The question was asked lightly as Gibbs then helped himself to more coffee.

“No!” Tony spat. “He doesn’t even know I’m " we’re " no he doesn’t.”

“And if he found out we were " lovers " what would he do?”

“What the hell does that have to do with anything?” Tony nearly laughed but the sound erupted as a strangled breath.

“Nothing,” Gibbs replied levelly. “But it would only add to the, no doubt, long list of shit he’s invented about you.”

“Fine!” Tony growled. “That’s it " end of conversation. I’m going to bed.” With that, he turned and stalked out of the room, leaving an amused Gibbs staring after him. The sound of the bedroom door slamming hard made the older man wince but he settled himself on a stool at the breakfast counter and sipped his coffee slowly.

“Why the hell do I put up with him?” he asked of the room in general. “If it’s not his wise ass comments, his dumb jokes and movie crap " the day you can answer that question, Jethro " will be the day you " “ He placed his mug down and scuffed a hand over his face. A glance at the clock on the wall told him it was way past 3am " and he was grateful his team weren’t on call that weekend " and with no boat to occupy him " a lie-in would be very welcome and he made a mental note not to push Tony on the subject of his father tomorrow " there was plenty of time for that " but he would make Tony see sense.

As he reached up to turn off the light, he smiled to himself as he looked around the living room " the floor littered with DVD empty covers, the discs lying in front of the TV set, copies of GSM and a pair of trainers lying on their side underneath the coffee table. “You know full well why you put up with him, Gibbs,” he head-slapped himself. “Because you love him more than life itself " and always will.”

Opening the bedroom door, Gibbs could see Tony sitting on the end of the bed with his head in his hands.

“Am I on the sofa or what?” he asked, not moving from the threshold.

“Please yourself,” Tony answered almost petulantly. “Just don’t start lecturing me again.”

“Sofa it is then,” Gibbs paced to the bed and tugged off the top sheet and collected up two pillows before turning and retracing his steps. “Night.” He hooked the door with a foot and retreated to the living room once more. A few minutes later, makeshift bed made " he picked up a copy of GSM and began leafing through it " although he kept half an eye on the bedroom door and found he had to lift the magazine in front of his face to hide the grin as Tony opened the door and leaned against the frame, arms folded.

“I meant it,” Tony said.

“So did I " I chose the sofa.”

“Now who’s being an ass hole?”

“As I see it,” Gibbs threw the magazine to the floor and linked his hands behind his head. “In the past hour " we’re about equal.”

“You more than me,” Tony replied with a ghost of a smile on his face.

“I beg to differ,” Gibbs said " stretching his arms above his head and yawning expansively.

“Come to bed, Jethro.”

“I’m comfortable enough here, thanks.”

“No, you’re not. You always get back ache sleeping on that thing.”

“If I get back ache, who’s fault is that?” Gibbs shot back.

“Have it your way then.” Tony turned and slammed the door shut again.

“For fuck’s sake!” Gibbs muttered under his breath, and then he frowned. “Thing is, he’s right " and it’s always cold in here first thing in the morning.” He stared at the bedroom door and pulled in a deep breath. “But like hell am I apologising!”

In seconds, he threw open the bedroom door only to find Tony lying on his back in the middle of the mattress staring up at the ceiling. “Hey!” He threw both pillows " one after the other at the younger man. “Get over your side!”

Tony glowered at him for a moment, licking his lips and narrowing his eyes as Gibbs stepped up beside the bed. “You wanted the sofa,” said Tony as he raked his eyes up and down Gibbs’ body.

“You want a kick up the ass, DiNozzo " now shift over before I decide I really do want to sleep on the damn sofa.” He then dropped the sheet deliberately over Tony’s head, making him yelp and reached across, rolling the younger man to one side. “And stay there!”

Soon enough, both men were finally in bed " and it didn’t take long before Tony was snuggling up close as Gibbs’s arms surrounded him " Gibbs planting a light kiss on the top of his head.

“Am I really an asshole?” Tony murmured sleepily.

“You have your moments, Tony. Believe me.”

“I’m about to have another *moment*, Boss.” Right on cue " his stomach rumbled.

“Let me guess " it’s round, it comes with sausage, pepperoni and extra cheese " and you’re hungry.”

“Yeah.”

“Just as well we’re not working this weekend isn’t it?”

“Yeah " “

There was silence for about five minutes and then Tony rolled onto his back. “I can’t do it!”

“Do what?”

“There’s a pizza in the refrigerator with my name on it " and I can’t sleep till I’ve eaten it.”

Gibbs eased himself onto his elbows as he watched a very naked Tony padding out of the room, to hear him banging about in the kitchen. He snickered to himself, shaking his head.

“My gut will play hell in the morning " but what the heck " suddenly I’m hungry too.”

TBC….
Family Ties by mrsdinozzo
The next morning, Gibbs woke at the fairly reasonable hour of nine am and without opening his eyes he knew he was alone in the vast bed. He could smell coffee brewing, mingled with the mouth-watering aroma of bacon and waffles and his stomach growled. He was out of bed instantly and ducked under the shower, but only long enough to soap his body and hair, rinse off and then back in the bedroom towelling himself dry before pulling on a pair of cargo shorts and a baggy t-shirt.

“Morning,” he ventured tentatively as he walked into the kitchen. “What’s eating you?” The look on Tony’s face was unreadable " pursed lips, narrowed eyes as the younger man pushed a manila envelope across the breakfast counter towards him as he put down his coffee mug.

“I’m saying nothing,” Tony replied tersely. “But I’d be interested in your views.”

“What is this?” Gibbs picked up the envelope and studied it. Nothing remarkable " LA postmark with *recorded* stamped across the bottom edge " address and return address both neatly typed on white labels. He dropped it to one side as he helped himself to a mug of coffee and then sat opposite Tony " taking a few long drafts of the hot brew before turning his attention to the envelope again. “A bit large for an airline ticket,” he observed with a frown. “Can I?” He paused, ready to reach inside but looked to Tony to nod agreement and then he opened it, pulling out an airline ticket pouch " and a smaller envelope. He tugged out the airline ticket " only to find there were two tickets " one in Tony’s name and " strangely " one in the name of Leroy Jethro Gibbs. “Ah,” he said " placing both tickets on the counter.

“Yeah, *ah* - carry on " it gets better.” Tony jerked his chin at the smaller envelope.

Gibbs emptied the envelope onto the counter and spread out the photographs " each 6 x 4 print showed Gibbs and Tony together. Outside DC Beans, Tony at Gibbs’ front door, Gibbs in Tony’s apartment building lobby, the two of them just walking down the street, Tony getting into Gibbs’ car and vice versa " and in all of them " the two men were smiling, laughing and in a few " one or the other with their arm around his partners shoulder. To anyone who knew the pair, the pictures were completely innocent " and could in no way be construed to be anything but two friends/work colleagues hanging out together " but to someone like DiNozzo Senior " the photos could be prove to be useful leverage should the need arise. “You worried about this?” Gibbs asked finally " shoving everything back into the large envelope.

“Are you?”

“Not yet,” Gibbs tapped the envelope with a hand. “And I guess the decision’s made. I *am* going with you.”

“Jethro,” Tony sighed, rolling his eyes. “I thought we’d had this out already!”

“He’ll only wonder where I am if I don’t show up with you,” Gibbs pointed out. “And he’ll send someone to fetch me. Tony, this is no longer a debate " this involves the two of us now " not *just* you.”

“How long’s he had someone tailing us?” Tony lifted a fork and began poking his bacon around his plate. “I haven’t seen or heard from him in years and then " this!” He stabbed the fork at the envelope. “I spent most of last night trying to figure out what’s going on inside his head, Jethro " and I came up with nada.” He dropped his fork to the counter and got to his feet, crossing the kitchen to the window and leaning on the counter over the sink. “He could have eyes out there now, couldn’t he? He could be watching us right this minute.”

“Hey!” Gibbs frowned at his young lover. “Look at the photos again " tell me what you see.”

Tony spread the prints out across the counter, sighing heavily. “I see the two of us " and each of these could also be seen as being you and me,” he paused. “And we’re not exactly looking like we’re at work " “

“That’s what he wants you to see, DiNozzo.” Gibbs reached out and held up one photo " the one of the two of them walking along the street " both laughing. “That’s you and me headed out to lunch.” Tony didn’t look convinced. “And this one,” Gibbs held up another " the two of them exiting DC Beans. “This is us buying lunch and heading back to the Navy Yard.” He dropped it and collected up another " Tony leaning into Gibbs’ car window. “And that’s you asking me for a lift the day your car broke down.” He gave Tony a wink and smirked into his coffee.

“Yeah?” Tony countered. “So what about this one?” The shot of Gibbs at the elevator in the lobby of Tony’s apartment building.

“He’s into architecture?” Gibbs ventured.

“Bull!” Tony spat.

“Fine, believe what you want. We know this is all crap and we can explain away each one. For instance, why don’t you check the clock on the wall above the elevator? 6.45am. That could have been the day I had to come get you outta bed " you’d overslept, called me " I tried calling you back but you wouldn’t pick up your cell or home phone " so I had to come up get you " remember?”

“Oh,” Tony smiled briefly " the smile becoming an overall leer as he realised what Gibbs was getting at. “And it was all your fault we ended up being really late anyway.”

“My fault?” Gibbs snickered. “You knew I was on my way up and answering the door still dripping wet and naked from a shower " of course we’re going to be late.”

“If I recall " it was a quiet day anyway. McGeek had things covered.” Tony gazed into space, the smile still plastered on his face.

“Just wish you had,” Gibbs grinned. “Deep down, Tony " you’re just a slut, right?”

“Only for you, Jethro.”

“Don’t tempt me or I will give in and jump your bones right now,” Gibbs cupped his mug in his hands. “Your old man won’t win this, Tony. I won’t let him.”

“Boss,” Tony slid off the stool and tipped his untouched breakfast into the trash bin. “Don’t go all knight in shining armour on me. He’s my problem.”

“So you keep saying, DiNozzo. And you know what they say about a problem shared?” Gibbs picked up a piece of bacon, shoving the whole lot into his mouth and chewing vigorously before taking another long swallow of coffee. “Tony, sit down.”

“Can’t,” Tony shook his head and busied himself refilling the coffee pot.

“Tell me to mind my own business here, but does your father " does anyone besides you, me and Abs know you’re " we’re " bi?”

“Mind your own business?” Tony shot back and then sat down. “No, and I’ve given the family no reason to suspect anything " this is just his method of scare tactics.”

“So he’s clutching at straws, ya think?”

“With DiNozzo Senior? It’s hard to tell, he’s got a nasty little mind when it comes to retribution and all that kind of crap, Gibbs. He’s up to something and he’s hoping to scare the shit outta me " but as to why? I have no fucking idea " absolutely none.”

“But in less than twenty four hours, we’ll find out.” Gibbs tapped the airline tickets with a finger. “In the meantime " call Ziva " see what her contacts can find out.”

“Hell no! I’m not involving Ziva or McGee " or even Jen,” Tony’s eyes went wide, hinting at more than a little fear as he raised a hand in defence. “No way " you said this is between the three of us, Boss!”

“But Ziva’s contacts are " “

“No!” Tony slammed a fist onto the counter. “I said no, Jethro " and I damn well mean it " no one else " please?”

“So,” Gibbs drawled. “On Monday? When we don’t show? What then?”

“Huh?”

“Tony,” Gibbs sat back, stretching his arms above his head and yawning. “We don’t turn up for work " Jen is going to be screaming for a reason and I gotta come up with something.”

“Easily solved,” Tony began, reaching for Gibbs’ plate. “You done with this?” At Jethro’s nod, he picked up the plate and deposited it in the sink. “Jen won’t be a problem " you stay here " I go to LA " tell her something, anything. Tell her I’m contagious or " I died.”

“I do that, you’ll have Abs hammering on your door to nurse you " and Ducky’ll be wanting to check you over " and then I’ll be expected to show up with a bunch of grapes and a couple of GSM’s for you.”

Tony clutched a hand over his heart, looking pained. “Is that it?” he asked in all wide eyed innocence.

“Is what all it?”

“I’m on my sick bed with something nasty and all you’d bring me are some lousy grapes and a few magazines I’ve already read?”

Gibbs grunted and shrugged. “Then you’re an ungrateful brat.”

“And you are a stubborn, pigheaded unmitigated bastard.”

“I keep telling you, DiNozzo " second b stands for bastard " or haven’t you quite grasped that yet?”

“Give me half a chance, there’s something else I wouldn’t mind grabbing.” Tony leered at his lover " a half smile on his lips.

“You showered yet?”

“Nope.”

“Good. I already did " but a second one wouldn’t hurt.”

“Now who’s the slut?” Tony called over his shoulder as he sauntered from the kitchen.

“Not me, DiNozzo. Not me.”

******

Gibbs drained his mug, leaving it in the sink with every intention of following Tony to the bathroom, but as he stepped over the threshold to the living room he stopped, staring at the computer " beeping quietly to itself in the far corner. He glanced towards the bathroom and then back to the PC.

“Tony’s always *googling* leads " so who says I can’t *google* Daddy DiNozzo?”

He sat down and twitched the mouse briefly with his right hand " smiling to himself as the PC suddenly whirred into life " revealing a sun kissed beach, palm trees and a cloudless sky. “Don’t tell me,” he murmured. “Puerto freakin’ Rico.”

He brought up the Google page, tapping the keys quickly and hitting the search button " and was quietly confident there would be something " be it in Forbes or Time magazine. If Daddy was as rich as he claimed to be " or as industrious as he would have people believe " there would be something.

There was nothing. Absolute zero. Gibbs scowled and tried again using another search engine with the same result.

“Getting lonely in here!” Tony shouted.

“In a minute,” Gibbs muttered. “Damn! How can someone be as big as this bastard and not get mentioned. Not even on ZNN?”

“You deaf or what?” Tony yelled. “You got two minutes and I’m done!”

“Consider yourself done.” Gibbs whispered, reaching for his cell beside the PC. He hit speed dial and waited. “Ziva? Hey " need a favour.”

“I’m done!”

“Give me two seconds, Tony.” Gibbs thought to himself. “Ziva " find out what you can about Tony’s father,” he paused. “No, no he doesn’t know " and yes I will tell him. I’ve tried the internet doowacka " and it’s come up with nada. Maybe your contacts can find something?” Another pause. “No, no don’t email or fax. I’ll call you " in a couple of hours.” He snapped the phone shut and pushed it into the pocket of his shorts.

“What are you doing?” Tony asked suspiciously, towelling his hair dry as he walked into the living room " a towel around his waist.

“Checking emails,” Gibbs answered as he rose from the chair.

“So why’d you look as guilty as hell?” Tony lowered the towel and inclined his head. “Even I know you’re up to something.”

“Your gut tell you that?”

“That,” Tony nodded. “And the slightly startled look when I walked in. What have you done?”

“You’re learning, DiNozzo " you aren’t my second for nothing.” Gibbs moved past Tony and headed for the bedroom. Tony looked puzzled, turning to watch Gibbs’ departing back.

“Of course I’m your second Boss, being a Senior Field Agent might have something to do with it!”

“Is that so?” Gibbs chuckled as he reappeared, car keys in hand. “And when’s the last time Senior Field Agents did any grocery shopping? You got five minutes to get presentable " and we’re heading out.”

“As long as I get to ride in the cart?”

“Don’t even think it,” Gibbs called back from the front door. “Or you’ll get more than a head slap!”

“Spoilsport!”

“Not at all,” Gibbs replied. “It’s just I don’t want people thinking we’re related " like I’m big brother to an ass hole. I’m outta here!” he pulled the door to and set off along the corridor to the elevator " whistling.

“Related huh?” Tony grinned evilly. “Okay " you asked for it.”

In the underground parking lot, Gibbs groaned aloud at the sight strolling across the tarmac towards him " but he lowered his head to hide the unfeasibly wide grin from the younger man.

Tony was wearing a ball cap on backwards, a black t-shirt with the words *I’m with Stupid!* emblazoned across it with arrows pointing left and right and he was sucking on a small red lollipop " but it was the shorts that nearly did Gibbs in " a bright Hawaiian print with parrots and palm trees which could be considered an affront to one’s eyes the colours were almost blinding, but it was the way they hung on Tony’s lean frame " if he bent down " he’d be arrested they were that loose but there was something engaging about the way he had to keep hauling them up every few steps and Gibbs was soon sniggering like a school kid.

“Wha’?” Tony asked innocently as he climbed in, the lollipop still in his mouth.

“You’re wearing those shorts for a bet?”

“I’d take ‘em off but I’m kinda " commando underneath.” To emphasise the point, Tony started to push them down over his hips.

“Stop!” Gibbs laughed, shaking his head. “Stop right now " please!”

“Look,” Tony pulled the lollipop free. “As I see it, we’ve got a day and a bit before we have to face reality again " so " I’m using the time to let my hair down. Any complaints?”

“Pull those shorts down any lower " and I won’t be the one complaining.” Gibbs said as he gunned the engine.

“You never do,” Tony snickered. “And do me a favour?”

“If it has anything to do with me wearing a matching pair of those hideous things,” he pointed to the shorts. “No way.”

Tony let his head drop back and whined deep in his throat. “Let me finish, Boss. We’re not at work, we’re not on our way to a crime scene " we’re on our way to the mall " so there’s no rush, no need to see how many times I puke, or if you can break your tire skid record " drive slowly for a change?”

“My driving scare you, huh?” Gibbs asked as he pulled out into the traffic.

“No,” Tony lied. “It’s Saturday " and I’d like to get home on time " and in one piece to watch the ball game that’s all.”

“Ball game?”

“Sox and Dolphins, Boss.”

“Oh, you mean *that* kind of ball game,” Gibbs glanced at Tony who was busy sucking on his lollipop again. “You bring me one?”

“Of course,” Tony handed him a lollipop. “And " erm " what kinda ball game d’you have in " “ Tony paused and nodded sagely. “Mm, I’m sure I can find a window in my busy schedule.”

“Somewhere between Punk’d and Jackass I hope.”

“Eyes on the road, Boss. On the road!” Tony cried as Gibbs narrowly missed an oncoming car while overtaking.

“Not my fault,” Gibbs shrugged. “All this talk of ball games " sort of distracting.”

“Might help if you weren’t staring at my crotch and watched out for the other four wheeled vehicles or hadn’t you noticed them?”

“You want to get out and walk?”

“You make me do that, the shorts are off.”

“Oh hell, I’m not winning here, am I?”

“Nope!”

TBC….very shortly
Family Ties by mrsdinozzo
The day had arrived and from the outset, Gibbs could see Tony was nervous " worried even to the point where Gibbs was momentarily loathe to head over to his own place and get some gear together before driving to the airport.

It was still early " barely turned 5am but both men were up and about " despite the fact their flight to LA wasn’t until 5pm. Gibbs had volunteered to oversee breakfast and Tony took the opportunity to at least make an attempt at clearing the general mess on the living room floor. Five minutes into his task, he was seated on the floor with an empty dvd case in one hand and the television remote control in the other. The television was on but he wasn’t paying attention, his gaze fixed on a spot on the carpet and Tony sighed heavily.

“You okay?” Gibbs asked softly from behind.

“Is that toast I smell burning?” Tony dropped his head back, looking up at the older man as he leaned back on his hands.

“No,” Gibbs replied. “Everything’s ready " and nothing went up in smoke. You sure you’re okay?”

“If I said yes, would you believe me?”

“No.”

“Thought not,” Tony tossed the dvd case aside and sat up, pressing the heels of both hands against his eyes. “I’m bushed.”

Gibbs knelt down and began massaging Tony’s shoulders with deep, grinding movements making the younger man groan with pleasure as the knots and kinks were eased away. “Did you take anything for your headache?”

“I don’t have a headache.”

“Don’t lie Tony.” Gibbs dug his fingers in a little too hard, smiling at the yelp he elicited. “You’re as tense as hell " and when you’re like this you always get a headache and you need to be one hundred percent focussed today.”

“Okay,” Tony tried nodding but with those magic fingers at work on his neck and shoulders, he let his head drop forward and relaxed. “I’ll take " oh geez " no " left a bit " I said left " down a bit " oh man " that’s got it!” He growled aloud as his eyes closed and he pulled in deep calming breaths.

“Atta boy,” Gibbs purred.

Ten minutes later, Tony was boneless " lying on his back on the floor with a contented smile on his face. He could hear Gibbs banging about in the kitchen and then found himself meeting steely blue eyes as Gibbs stood over him, glass of water in one hand and a bottle of painkillers in the other.

Reluctantly, he pulled himself upright and took the proffered glass, Gibbs tipping the pills into his hand and retiring to the sofa. Tony scooted across on his butt to settle between Gibbs’ legs and leaning back as his lover carded his fingers through his hair.

“Can’t we just stay here?” Tony rolled his head from side to side as he stretched his legs out in front of him. “Pretend the old bastard is dead, no tickets arrived and you and me just spend the day together?” He had wrapped his right hand around Gibbs’ calf, resting his head against a bent knee. “We haven’t done that in a while.”

“Don’t start,” Gibbs said with an edge to his voice. “We’ve talked this out, Tony. We’re going to LA.”

“But it’s going to be " “ Tony closed his mouth, sensing rather than seeing the Gibbs stare aimed at the top of his head.

“Hell on earth? I don’t think so.” Gibbs leaned back on the sofa. “Okay " how about this " do we actually have to meet him at the damn house?”

“Not specified,” Tony pulled his knees up to his chest. “But it’ll be a safe bet.”

“It’s safety I’m worried about,” Gibbs replied, suppressing a yawn. “Yours and mine.”

“Boss, we don’t have to think about what might happen until it happens, until we’re on that plane " so d’you think we could stop talking about it " for now?” Tony stated as he clambered to his feet. “Please?”

Gibbs peered up at him and grunted, nodding slightly. “Sure.”

“Thanks.”

“Tony?” Gibbs twisted around and watched the younger man walk away down the hall. “Tony?” *What about breakfast?* he thought, worrying his lower lip for a moment. *Ah well, if he’s not hungry just now " I know I am.* Despite the small smile he allowed himself, Gibbs didn’t head straight for the kitchen. He padded down the hall and leaned against the door frame of the bedroom, arms folded across his chest as he watched Tony pawing through the contents of his wardrobe and muttering to himself.

“You okay?” he ventured, and Tony stiffened. “Tony?”

“Jethro,” Tony kept his voice level, despite feeling increasingly irritated that Gibbs kept asking the same dumb question. “For the last damn time, I’m fine. Ask me that again and I *will* kill you " “

“But " “

“No, Jethro. For the final time ever " we’ve talked this through. I’m not sure we’re doing the right thing, but you seem to sense we are,” he stepped back from the closet and waved a sky blue t-shirt at the silver haired man. “So " for both our peace of mind " or whatever the correct freakin’ grammar is " I’m going along with whatever my father has planned. I’m not going to like it, and neither are you " but if it keeps you quiet and answers some questions for me " then that’s great. But right at this very second, we have at least seven hours before we have to check in " and I want to spend that time just chilling out and trying to relax which " you have to admit " is a little hard when all you keep asking is if I’m okay. I " am " okay! Understand?” He tossed the t-shirt over a shoulder and paced to the bathroom and Gibbs soon heard the sound of running water. “And another thing " “ Tony re-emerged with his toothbrush in his hand. “We’re staying no more than twelve hours tops.”

“Twelve hours,” Gibbs nodded. “Got it.”

“Are you patronising me?” Tony’s eyes narrowed.

“No,” Gibbs shook his head.

“Good,” Tony disappeared into the bathroom again. “Just checking.”

As Tony finished up, Gibbs crossed the floor to the bed and pulled off the top sheet and comforter, letting them pool at the foot of the bed. *Only one way to get his mind off everything,* Gibbs chuckled. *And that’s some one on one action.*

Tony reappeared. “Aw man, I just made that!” he protested, pointing to the bed.

“So? I just unmade it.”

“Gibbs,” the younger man whined. “Not now.”

“You sick or something?” Gibbs looked genuinely concerned and was across to Tony in seconds.

“No!” Tony snatched his hand away as Gibbs made to take his pulse.

“Sure?”

“So,” Gibbs pressed forward, pushing Tony back against the tall dresser " his blue eyes shining. “If I do this,” he leaned in and lapped at pouting lips that parted ever so slightly " allowing his tongue to beg entry before pulling gently back. “And then I do this,” he leaned in again, grasping the t-shirt still on Tony’s shoulder and placing it around the back of Tony’s neck, using the ends to pull the younger man to him and nibbling his lips again " eliciting a sigh from his lover. “You’d want me to stop?” He didn’t need an answer, Tony’s hands came up and covered the backs of his own hands and the kiss deepened as Gibbs pressed himself the length of the other man’s body and groaned into Tony’s mouth as he felt his own hardness grinding against Tony’s beneath those so tight boxer briefs

“No, Boss.” Tony breathed, head back and eyes closed as Gibbs nuzzled his throat. “Not now. Please.”

“Hah,” Gibbs whispered between laps. “The mind says no " but your body is crying out for attention, DiNozzo.”

“Don’t " do this, Gibbs.” Tony hissed, locking his knees as he felt himself begin to tremble. Silently, he cursed himself " and his cock " sex had been the last thing on his mind, he’d even denied himself a cleansing jerk off in the shower earlier. How in hell could he pleasure himself when all he could see was his fucking father glaring at him in blatant disapproval? Yet " still whimpering denial as Gibbs captured his mouth again " the young man slowly succumbed " returning the kiss slowly as Gibbs’ hands slid inside the waist of his briefs, easing them down his legs.

“Overdressed,” Tony murmured, pulling back briefly as they both came up for air. He raked his eyes over Gibbs’ body " lingering at the bulge between the older man’s legs. “Way too overdressed.” He kicked his own underwear aside, tongue snaking out before he *rrowrrred* softly as Gibbs tugged off his vest and sent his cargo shorts flying across the room.

Their lips met again, this time Gibbs taking full control and pulling Tony to him, devouring him as his hips pressed forward, wrenching a low moan from him as their cocks slid against one another. “This is wrong,” he murmured as Gibbs took both hands and backed towards the bed, his eyes never leaving Tony’s. “It’s " “

“It’s what?” Gibbs prompted softly. “What’s so wrong, Tony? Do you want me to stop?”

“I " “ Tony’s eyes were full of uncertainty. “It’s just " “

Gibbs reached up and cupped the side of Tony’s face, a soft smile on his lips as Tony leaned into the caress. “He’s not here,” he said kissing the tip of Tony’s nose. “He’s not here, he’s a five hour flight away.”

“I know,” Tony sighed, stepping forward and slipping his arms around Gibbs’ waist. “I know " and " if I’m honest " “

“If you’re honest,” Gibbs took Tony’s face in both hands. “You’re worried sick about what could happen in the next forty eight hours " and I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t " “

“I’m not worried, Boss. I’m scared. Scared as hell.”

“Which is why I’ll be right there with you,” Gibbs lapped at his lips. “What’s wrong with a little *us* time right now? Huh?”

“But " “

“But nothing, Tony " right now " just you and me " no one else.”

Tony stared into those so blue eyes, a small smile ghosting over his lips, and he sighed. “You’re right,” he admitted with a nod. “Sorry.”

“For what?” Gibbs guided him by the hand to the side of the bed. “Nothing to be sorry for. Sit.”

Tony sat, resting his head on Gibbs’ shoulder. “You going to lecture me now?” Gibbs just squeezed his hand reassuringly.

“Nope,” he replied. “You want me to?”

Tony lifted his head and turned to face him, his eyes suddenly sad. “Thanks.”

“For what?”

“For just being " “

Gibbs silenced him with a finger on his lips. “I’m here because I want to be here, Tony.”

“I know,” Tony sighed, scuffing a hand over his face.

Gibbs snickered, and scooted up to the head of the bed. “No " just get your butt over here.” He held out his arms and Tony snuggled in close. “And no dozing off either.”

Silence reigned for a few moments and as Tony’s eyes tracked down over Gibbs’ chest, on over his abs " the younger man grunted quietly.

“Now what?”

“Nothing,” Tony began. “It’s just " from this angle " ah " fuck it!” He straddled Gibbs’ waist and captured his mouth in a bruising kiss " catching his lover completely by surprise. Gibbs " although somewhat taken aback by this turn of events " soon melted into Tony’s nips and caresses, allowing him full access while he just lay back and wallowed.

He lifted his hands only to have them slapped away as Tony pressed himself the length of Gibbs’s body, lapping at his lips as their tumescence slid against each other " silken steel on silken steel. Crushing his hips against Gibbs’, Tony kept up the pressure " as Gibbs groaned and mewled beneath him. It would only be a matter of time " a matter of moment. Both men wanted this to be quick " quick but ultimately satisfying. No penetration, no long drawn out session " just a wham, bam and thank you " sir because deep down neither knew just how long it would be before their next opportunity.

The scene on the bed played out, the sound of skin on skin, wet kisses " Gibbs whimpering as climax crept closer, Tony’s ragged breathing as his ass lifted and lowered pounding his hips against Gibbs’ weeping cock, his own cock slick with precum. Gibbs’ hands were now solidly wrapped around the rails at the head of the bed, neck arched and teeth bared as orgasm slid ever nearer.

Both men came at the same time, Tony draping himself over Gibbs as he heaved for air, Gibbs staring wide eyed at the ceiling as his own chest fought for breath " leaving both men sated - until Gibbs swore under his breath.

“Wassamatta?” Tony mumbled.

“Cell phone,” Gibbs answered sounding tired.

“Let ‘em call back.” Tony protested as Gibbs tried to move him to one side.

“Got to get this one, Tony.”

“Why?” Tony raised himself up on his elbows and turned to see Gibbs leaving the room.

“Important.”

“Why?” *Who gives a fuck why,* Tony thought to himself. *Who gives a flying fuck?”

*****

“Go,” Tony had insisted, shooing him down the hall to the front door. “I’ll be fine " it’s not like I’m facing another three day interview for my damn job, Boss. Go!”

Gibbs stopped in his tracks and leaned against the wall, hands in his pockets. “You do know we don’t actually *have* to go, Tony? I’ll understand if you change your mind and I won’t think any less of you " it’s just I sense something hinky.”

“You been talking to Abs? Look, the only thing hinky about all this is the shit I have for a father " and I can,” he paused, catching the amused look on Gibbs’ face. “We can " sorry - *we* can deal with it " chances are it’s something and nothing.”

“Yeah?” Gibbs pushed himself off the wall and tugged out his car keys. “If that’s the case " why were you so quiet over breakfast?”

“Was I?” Tony tried to sound light hearted, but his eyes told a different story " there was a haunted look deep within them.

“You know damn well you were.”

“Just gas.” Tony turned and walked back down the hall towards the bedroom to continue packing.

“Gas, my ass.” Gibbs murmured reaching for the front door. “He’s so freakin’ uptight right now " at least I’ll be there for the fallout.”

As the door closed, Tony couldn’t help but wince at the sound as he dropped onto the end of the bed and fell backwards, arms above his head. “Oh fuck, oh fuck, oh fuck,” he whispered. “What the hell are you doing, DiNozzo? What the fuck are you doing?”

He knew damn well what he was doing and the way his stomach was tying itself up in knots and threatening to evacuate his recently devoured breakfast left him feeling nauseous and he knew without looking his hands were shaking.

He could see it all now " that sanctimonious smirk on his father’s face, the look of distaste as Gibbs was introduced, sitting in one of those uncomfortable straight backed chairs before the familiar walnut desk, being offered a finger of the best malt knowing that to accept would only piss his father off even more, and that thought alone made Tony suddenly smile " and even as he lay there " the smile was getting broader and brighter " as he began to make a mental list " how to piss the bastard off and get away with it….

TBC
Family Ties by mrsdinozzo
“Tony!” Gibbs shouted as he kicked the front door closed behind him, dumping his gear at his feet. “You done yet?”

“Almost Boss.” Tony called back. “And what in hell kept you so freakin’ long " you’ve been gone nearly two hours?”

Gibbs walked to the kitchen and poured himself a large mug of coffee, staying deliberately silent. He settled himself on a stool and watched the door with a smirk.

“Boss?” Tony called again. “What were you doing?”

At that moment, Gibbs’ cell rang and a glance at caller id told him it was Ziva. “What you got?” he asked quietly. He listened, eyes narrowing and the frown deepening. “That’s it? That’s all? Damn!” He snapped the phone shut and stuffed it back into his pants. *If Ziva can’t find anything except a fucking parking ticket " what hope have I got?* he asked himself. *Fuck!*

“Who was that?” Tony sauntered into the room, hands busy spiking his hair.

“What is this? Twenty fucking questions?” Gibbs snapped.

“Huh?”

“Sorry,” Gibbs held up a hand and shook his head. “You’re still in your boxers?”

“They don’t call you Special Agent for nothing, do they?” Tony grinned. “You talk to Jen?”

“I did.”

“And?”

“And " not a lot. She took some convincing but she’s given us forty eight hours.”

“Like I said,” Tony turned to leave. “We’re there and back in twelve.”

“And I also talked with Ziva.” Gibbs admitted as Tony turned back and gaped at him.

“I asked you not to, “ he said cautiously. “So why did you?”

“I figured if we couldn’t find anything new " her contacts might be able to.” He drank more coffee, cupping the mug in his hands. “And she drew up zilch.”

Tony sighed, rolling his eyes and spreading his hands. “And you know what that means "why’d you do these things Boss? Huh? You know what she’s like, she’ll be expecting you to call in every hour on the hour! I don’t *need* anyone else involved " I told you that!”

“Hey!” Gibbs snapped. “We’re heading into uncharted territory and I’d want no one but Ziva watching our six.”

Gibbs ignored him and stepped out into the hallway and hunkered down in front of his bag " unzipped it and reached inside. He tugged out a large brown envelope and handed it to Tony along with some official looking papers.

“And this is?”

“All we have on your old man " “

“Been there, done that, read the file and bought the freakin’ t-shirt, Gibbs.” Tony dropped the file on the counter. “I know this crap backwards.”

“I appreciate that, DiNozzo " but it wouldn’t hurt to refresh your memory would it? Call it a little light reading for the plane.” He rested a hand on Tony’s shoulder. “Now get your ass in gear " we’re leaving in twenty.”

“What are these?” Tony held up the papers.

“Weapons licences.”

“Ah, yeah " course.” Tony nodded. In fact, he’d felt a little foolish that he’d had to be reminded but post 9/11 even Federal Agents had to have the correct paperwork " all the t’s crossed, i’s dotted. He selected his own and carried it with him back to the bedroom as Gibbs made light work of tidying up the kitchen.

*****

A whole half hour later, Gibbs was standing at the now open front door and glowering. “DiNozzo!”

“Yeah! Alright already!”

The older man considered himself a seasoned agent " he’d seen it all, done most of it and thought of himself as unshockable but today " today was the one and only day his jaw actually hit the floor and he gaped. *Oh my fucking Christ!* he murmured as Tony stepped into the hallway. Goose pimples broke out all over and he felt a surge of what he could only describe as pure unadulterated lust slam through him to settle at his loins, and he knew instantly he didn’t need to look down to see he was tenting. His grip on his coffee cup tightened as his eyes drank in the vision before him and he found himself biting down hard on the urge to whimper.

“Boss?” Tony asked, removing his shades, a smile tugging at the corner of his mouth. *Yep " just the reaction you were aiming for, DiNozzo.* “You all right?”

Gibbs was dumbstruck. Never before had he seen his lover looking so freakin’ hot and now he understood why the man had taken a little longer than usual getting ready.

Tony was wearing black, butter soft leather pants, a black skinny rib turtleneck that looked like it had been sprayed on to show off that hard physique beneath, topped with a long black leather duster and on his feet a pair of square toed black boots.
“Boss?” Tony asked again, replacing the shades.

“Uh-huh?” Gibbs mumbled, still unable to look away from the younger man.

“Ah,” Tony lifted a finger. “You’re wondering why this gear?” He continued without waiting for Gibbs to show some sign he was listening. “My father is old school " he’s a stickler for the old suit and tie routine " and " for a change " I’m going with what I feel comfortable in. Saying that,” he stepped closer " still amused at the look of awe on Gibbs’ face. “You’re not wearing this jacket, Jethro " are you?” He fingered the light coloured fabric and grimaced.

“What’s " “ Gibbs whimpered and then coughed to clear his throat. “What’s wrong with my jacket?”

“Nothing a bonfire won’t cure,” Tony grinned. “Stay right there!” And he was gone into the bedroom again.

*Oh fuck!* Gibbs wondered. *How in hell am I supposed to remain a normal, rational guy when he’s looking like that? I knew he liked leather " but fuck me " if we didn’t have a bastard plane to catch - *

“Here ya go!” Tony re-emerged and tossed a black leather jacket to him and waited until Gibbs shrugged out of his old jacket and pulled on the new one. “Much better.”

“Tony?” Gibbs swallowed.

“I thought so.” Tony shrugged. “Shades. Too much d’ya think?”

“No,” Gibbs shook his head. “Shades are fine " it’s the rest of you " “

“Specifically chosen to fuck my old man off, Jethro.” Tony explained as he tugged the duster straight. “Like you " he has rules " only thing is " his rules are shit and I’m about to attempt to break every single one of them.”

“And leaving me with a raging hard on is one of them?” Gibbs asked incredulously.

“That was a risk I was prepared to take,” Tony nodded. “He’s a suit and tie man " morning, noon and fuckin’ night, all that dressing for dinner crap.”

“And that’s a bad thing, right?”

“It is now,” Tony’s hands were at his hair " as he preened in the hall mirror. “He’s got some stupid rules, Jethro.”

“Can we " kind of " get a move on here?” Gibbs bent to collect up his bag and then dropped it again. “I need the head.”

Five minutes later, Gibbs reappeared " looking slightly flushed and somewhat breathless, but he seemed to be more in tune with reality once again. “Had to " you know " “ he explained hurriedly as he passed Tony to the front door.

Tony watched him go " and grinned. “You bastard, Anthony. You *knew* that would happen " which means it’s going to be a lot more fun when we get back " he doesn’t know the half of what’s in my wardrobe - and when my new toy box comes out to play for the first time " oh yeah!”

*****

“Mr DiNozzo? Mr Gibbs?” The check in clerk peered at them both over her spectacles and smiled, her eyes lingering over Tony as the young man removed his shades and flashed a megawatt smile.

“Yes.” Gibbs replied tersely, resisting the urge to elbow Tony in the ribs.

“Which is which?” she chirruped, her eyes still on Tony.

“I’m Gibbs, he’s DiNozzo.” Gibbs removed his badge from his jacket pocket. “We’re kind of in a hurry.”

“Don’t mind him,” Tony winked at her. “He hates planes. Necessary evil in our job.”

She took Gibbs’ id and then Tony’s and examined them both briefly. “Agents Gibbs and DiNozzo " NCIS,” she paused and then flashed them a smile again. “Is that like CSI?”

“Nothing like,” Gibbs replied. “Boarding passes?” He held out his hand and nearly snatched them from her. “Gate?”

“Gate ten, Mr Gibbs. Your flight will be boarding in a little over an hour. Enjoy LA.”

Gibbs walked away, reaching for his cell as it began ringing. He tugged it free and lifted it to his ear, listening intently. Tony stepped close, stowing his shades in a coat pocket as he waited patiently for the call to finish.

“Who was that?” he asked.

“Ziva.” Gibbs glanced at him, lifting a hand and indicating for Tony to follow him. In a quiet corner, Gibbs pulled in a breath and shook his head. “Remember a couple of years ago " not a Navy case but it was all over the press at the time " two guys found dismembered and causing a stink at the train station in New York?”

“Kind of,” Tony nodded but sounding uncertain. “In a suitcase " in lost property " been there over three months?”

“Yeah.”

“What about it?”

“Ziva’s made a connection " once we get to the hotel " she’ll fax over what she’s got.”

“My father’s involved?”

“Apparently there’s a tenuous link, Tony " other than that " I don’t know anymore right now.”

“But it’s another item to add to the ever growing list of reasons why I hate him, Jethro. Coffee?”

The pair went through security with no problems at all and Gibbs made a beeline for DC Beans on the concourse, leaving Tony to collect the latest edition of GSM from the store opposite. It was only as he placed both cups on a small table and sat down, he found himself watching Tony " and watching other people watching Tony and it intrigued him. The majority of casual admirers glancing Tony’s way were women but occasionally, men chanced a glance too and that alone made Gibbs smile. *You are one lucky fuck, Jethro* he thought to himself. *To everyone else, he’s look and don’t touch " and yet he is mine. I’m the one he wakes up with, I’m the one he goes to bed with, I’m the one who " damn he looks just too good! Note to self " must check the address of that new kink store Abs told me about " gotta be more to leather than just pants and coats " gotta be!*

“Hey!” Tony clipped Gibbs upside the head with his magazine. “Where’d you go?”

“Fantasy Island?” Gibbs snickered.

“Figured as much,” Tony took the proffered coffee and sucked the froth from the top. “I’d say I definitely hit your switch with this,” he indicated his clothing with a sweep of his hand.

“Hit, double hit and shorted,” Gibbs smiled. “And looking to short circuit again very soon " did you dress like that deliberately?”

“You mean for you or for Pops?”

“Let’s end this conversation, DiNozzo.”

“Aw, come on " I wanted to see you squirm.” Tony teased.

If Gibbs was going to reply, he didn’t have a chance. A smartly dressed young lady with long dark hair and dressed in a navy business suit approached their table and inclined her head.

“Good afternoon, gentlemen,” she said. “My name is Isobel Santini " and I have some good news for you both.”

“You do?” Tony beamed, his eyes smiling up at her.

“Your father has asked that I escort you myself to your plane " “

Gibbs looked at Tony and Tony frowned. “Did he?” Gibbs asked. “That’s okay, Ms Santini " we’re quite capable of finding our own plane " thanks anyway.”

“But he was most insistent.”

“I’m sure he was,” Tony interjected. “But like the man said " we’re fine " so why don’t you just buzz off back to the old coot and leave us to make our own way.”

“He had the Gulf Stream flown in specially, gentlemen. He wants only the best for his guests.” Isobel scowled at the apparent disinterest as Gibbs turned away and watched the crowds and Tony flipped open the centre pages of GSM and began growling in appreciation. “He will be most upset at your refusal.”

“My heart bleeds,” Tony answered flippantly, not looking up. “Bye.”

“She still here, Tony?”

“Yep.”

“I think we may as well head to the gate then,” Gibbs got to his feet, completely ignoring the woman sitting with them.

“Sounds good to me,” Tony nodded.

“Anthony!” Isobel hissed, catching his wrist as he passed her. She got to her feet and glared up at him. “Even I do not disobey a direct order " you have to come with me " both of you!”

“We’d love to, honey.” Tony shook his wrist free. “But we’re kind of partial to living " and we’d like to get to LA and see what the shit wants in one piece. Now " rearrange the following " off fuck.”

“But " “

She found she was talking to thin air as the men disappeared into the crowds. She sat down at the recently vacated table and pressed a finger to her ear. “You heard all that?”

A deep male voice answered her. “Indeed we did, and I suppose it was to be expected they would be overly cautious.”

“Now what?” Isobel hissed.

“They are overly cautious " so it is up to us to be overly *persuasive*. Be at the rendezvous as planned, Isobel and be ready.”

TBC….
Family Ties by mrsdinozzo
Title: Family Ties 5/?
Author: mrsdinozzo
Pairing: DiNozzo/Gibbs
Rating: FRAO
Warning: Slash m/m
Archive? To WWOMB " yes, others please ask
Spoilers: Nil
Disclaimer: Don’t own them, am borrowing them for an unlimited period with no intention of handing them back anytime soon. I am not making any money etc etc etc….
Spoilers: None.




Tony hadn’t been gone long " and Gibbs could see the young man was troubled as he made his way back across the concourse towards the gate tunnel. “Something bothering you?” he asked as Tony lifted an eyebrow and blew out his cheeks before nodding.

“You could say that,” Tony whispered, pushing his cell into the pocket of his coat. “Can’t talk here though.”

“Who was on your cell?” Gibbs’ tried to gauge the expression on his lover’s face " sensing it wasn’t just a normal call, if anything Tony looked distinctly uneasy.

“Confirmation we’re not exactly alone here?” Tony jerked his chin towards a secluded alcove with a table and chairs.

“That woman " what was her name?” Gibbs took a long drink of coffee and tossed the empty cup into a trash bin as he passed by.

“No, not her.” Tony lifted a finger to his lips. “Someone else.”

“Someone who else?” Gibbs pressed, suddenly feeling somewhat apprehensive himself as he sat down and Tony moved his own chair closer until they were nearly nose to nose across the table. “And we could not look more suspicious if we tried, Tony.” Gibbs sat back deliberately, easing his own seat back with his feet. “Who was on your damn phone?”

Tony lifted his wrist and checked his watch. “Another two minutes and you’ll find out.”

“You’re not making sense,” Gibbs wanted nothing more than to head slap him but he resisted and sat back " deliberately settling himself in what he hoped was a relaxed posture but his eyes were watching for anyone " anything out of the ordinary. “Two minutes to what?”

“We’re being watched,” Tony said softly.

“I gathered that,” Gibbs nodded indifferently. “By who?”

Tony shrugged, both hands into his pockets. “Who else?” he pouted. “Man, I wish to hell I’d never listened to you when you persuaded me to do this.”

“Me?” Gibbs snickered in disbelief. “You’re blaming me?”

“I wanted out, I wanted to forget the whole thing,” Tony snarled, his eyes watching the crowds. “I wanted to tear up the fucking tickets, I wanted to head to work on Monday with a clear head, a rested body but no.” He glared at his lover. “No, because Leroy Jethro Gibbs decides he’d like to spend the weekend slapping the hell out of my old man because it would make him feel better.”

“Tony " “

“I haven’t finished!” Tony snapped, his jaw set as he leaned forward and linked his fingers on the table top " his eyes alive with anger. “And because Leroy Jethro Gibbs decided he knew what was best " do you know what he’s done? Huh? Have you *any idea* what you’ve accomplished in the last five minutes?”

“Enough, DiNozzo.” Gibbs answered evenly. “Who was on the phone?”

“We have a mile long walk way between us and the gate,” Tony sat back, still tense. “And there are at least twenty four gates at the other end " and between the gates and us " a mile long glass gallery facing airside.”

“And?” Gibbs tried to sound nonchalant but his gut was starting to grind.

“And?” Tony rolled his eyes, pursing his lips as he considered how best to deliver the next sentence. “And,” he paused. “And, Gibbs " at any given time there are approximately three to four hundred people on that walkway " and there is a certain " shall we say " element airside who will be watching our every move. We even think about heading for the gate " and they start taking out innocent bystanders.”

“He’s threatening to start a turkey shoot?” Gibbs didn’t move, aware of a young couple with a small child standing a little too close and anxious they did not overhear this. “Sounds like a freakin’ amateur approach,” he raised his hands and shrugged. “All he had to do was say please.”

Tony gaped at the older man. “What?”

“Joke, DiNozzo.” Gibbs smiled an apology. “Joke.”

“Timing’s way out,” Tony glowered. “Way out.”

“If they’re watching airside, no doubt that Imogen creature has back up landside.”

“Isobel,” Tony corrected absently, settling himself back in his chair and scanning the passing passengers briefly.

“Huh?”

“Her name was Isobel.”

“Whatever,” Gibbs frowned, staring at a spot over Tony’s left shoulder. “And here comes the cavalry.”

“The what?” Tony asked, twisting round to see three men " all well dressed in suits and ties watching them. The larger of the three was smiling and winked. “They might not be wanting us, Gibbs.”

“Oh, I think they might be,” Gibbs jutted his chin towards them and Tony saw Isobel join them, a look of aloofness gracing her features. “And Tony " we go quietly " no heroics.” It was with some relief that Gibbs then noticed the family that had been nearby had moved away " the child having a tantrum until the mother picked him up and cuddled him.

“Three goons and a chick " and you cave in?” Tony snorted. “You’re caving in?”

“I am not caving, DiNozzo.” Gibbs rose to his feet slowly, raising a hand to the three men. “Follow my lead " and don’t do or say anything stupid.”

“Me? Stupid?” Tony shook his head.

“According to your father, Anthony, stupid is your middle name.” Tony was on his feet instantly, staring into the face of the large man. “I’m Stefan. Your host for your trip " this is Wayne.” Wayne nodded, his heavy lidded eyes blinking slowly as he looked from Gibbs to Tony and back again. “Isobel, I believe you’ve already met " and finally " this is Georg. He’s just joined our happy clan from Rome and his English isn’t that good but he’s fluent in three other languages " Italian *obviously*, French and also " he’s very well read in the art of knee capping " hasn’t missed a shot yet, have you Georg?” Georg lifted his jacket away from his side to reveal a loaded holster.

“Skip the crap,” Gibbs snapped as he reached for his coffee, stepping up close to Stefan and keeping his voice low. “This is a Federal building, we’re Federal Agents,” he tilted his head. “We’re honour bound to protect it, and the people inside it.”

“One word from me,” Stefan ground out between his teeth.

“One word from me,” Gibbs smiled wanly. “I’ll have this place locked down so fucking tight - “

“You’re Navy " no jurisdiction.”

“Ass kissing on the hill is a skill, Stefan.” Gibbs lifted a hand and lightly slapped the other man’s cheek. “Tony and I graduated with honours " you slip up " there’s a lot of people going to want to be nailing your asses. Yeah,” he tapped the man’s face again. “We’re Navy " what’s your back up?”

Stefan smirked, reaching into his back pocket and pulling out a black wallet. He held it up in front of Gibbs’s face and flipped it open " revealing a police badge.

“Fake,” Gibbs stated.

“But good enough.” Stefan chuckled. “We’re NYPD and we’re here to escort two agents to New York for questioning.”

“Which explains how you’re carrying,” Gibbs nodded, smiling to himself. “Did you think that up all by yourself? I’ll just re-iterate for you. We’re Feds, this is Federal property " you three are way out of your jurisdiction.”

“Just try it.” Stefan snarled, eyes narrowing.

“We could,” Gibbs nodded again. “We could walk right out of here, right now " and you couldn’t do a damn thing about it.”

“Mr DiNozzo wants to meet you both " and when Mr DiNozzo wants something, he usually gets it " without question.” Isobel stepped up beside Stefan. “I tire of this bickering. Wayne " escort our guests to the First Class Lounge and see they’re made comfortable.”

“Sure thing, ma’am.” Wayne tugged his suit jacket straight. “Gents?”

“You’re in charge?” Gibbs asked, staring at the young woman intently.

“If it means getting the job done and delivering you two on time " then yes.”

“Patience is not a virtue of Isobel’s,” Stefan said quickly. “But I suggest you do as she says " things could turn ugly very quickly if you don’t.”

“Sounds like a veiled threat,” Gibbs murmured. “Was it a veiled threat?”

Tony reached out and took hold of Gibbs’s upper arm, pulling him away from the group. “What in hell are you doing?” he hissed angrily.

“Telling it like it is " you got a problem with that?” Gibbs spread his hands wide.

“Yeah,” Tony growled. “I got a problem with that.” He searched the older man’s eyes but could only see mild amusement and that was enough. “*You* are not my father, Jethro,” he said quietly. “You’re making me out to look like " “

“Okay,” Gibbs sighed. “I’m sorry " just the agent side got the better of me.”

“Your agent side has a big mouth, Jethro.” Tony folded his arms across his chest. “Can we just get this over and done with " let’s get to the fucking plane with no more arguing?”

“Sure,” Gibbs nodded.

“And you’ll keep your mouth shut?”

“I’ll keep my mouth shut.” He led Tony a few more yards away. “By the way,” he said with a half smile.

“What?” Tony sighed, rolling his eyes.

“Just want you to know " when you’re pissed at me " “

“When I’m pissed at you " what?”

“You’re as hot as fuck, Tony. Hot as fuck!”

“And you think *I ’m* the only one with two brains,” Tony shot back.
“At least, my other brain is under control most of the time,” Gibbs whispered before turning to where Stefan waited. “Right " we’re done. Lead on " and don’t try anything stupid.”

“You two behave yourselves, and I won’t need to do anything stupid, Agent Gibbs.”

“Oh yes, you will.” Gibbs snickered as the group headed away across the concourse to the First Class Lounge, Stefan at his elbow.

“Hey,” Wayne caught Tony’s arm and nudged his chin at Gibbs’s back. “Does he always have to have the last word?”

“Always,” Tony nodded. “All the freakin’ time.”

“He’s a nice guy,” Wayne said almost to himself.

“Ya think?” Tony glanced sideways at him. “I’ll remind you you said that when he’s ripping your arms out of their sockets later " you really don’t want to piss him off " ever.”

“So I heard,” Wayne said before stopping in his tracks, a hand at Tony’s chest. “And you must give me the name of your tailor " I dig your threads.”

“Yeah? Well, just watch dear Daddy’s face when I show up looking like this " although " I’m torn. Leather or the ripped jeans, sandals and t-shirt " what’ll incense him more I wonder?”

“Ripped jeans,” Wayne looked thoughtful. “Ripped where?”

“Thigh on one leg, knee on the other.”

“The old man hates denim,” Wayne commented, not sounding happy.

“Aw,” Tony shook his head. “Now see what you’ve gone and done " ripped jeans it is " thanks man.”

“Just make sure I’m not within a mile radius before you meet up with him?” Wayne sounded worried.

“Hah,” Tony clapped a hand on Wayne’s shoulder. “I’m just going to light the blue touch paper " it’s up to you how far back you stand.”

“You must really hate him.”

Tony glanced at the other man quickly before passing through the doors to the Lounge. “You have no idea,” he whispered under his breath. “Absolutely no idea " world war three - here I come.”

TBC
Family Ties by mrsdinozzo
“And that makes you feel better?” Gibbs whispered in Tony’s ear as the younger man flopped into the seat next to him " a big smile on his face.

“Yep,” Tony nodded. “Sure beats that bastard watching my every freakin’ move.”

“DiNozzo, it’s a photograph,” Gibbs sighed. “You paranoid or what?”

“Or nothing, Boss.” Tony shrugged. “I don’t need to be reminded what Daddy dearest looks like and anyway " the picture’s been airbrushed.”

“And you’d know about airbrushing, then?”

Tony twisted in his seat and regarded Gibbs levelly, pouting slightly. “Okay " remember the picture and then compare it to the real thing, I *know* airbrushed when I see it.”

“Oh boy,” Gibbs breathed almost to himself. “It’s going to be that kind of flight is it?”

“No,” Tony smiled. “I intend having a great time.”

“It’s going to be that kind of a flight,” Gibbs nodded. “*Great* for him " purgatory for me " so what’s new?”

As soon as they’d boarded the plane, Tony had tugged out his copy of GSM and opened it to the middle page and gently removed the staples tarnishing an otherwise rather fetching spread of some winsome leggy lovely. With a satisfied grunt, he then moved towards the wall backing onto the cockpit and took down a rather grandiosely framed photograph of his father, turning the frame around and placing it against the wall. He held out a hand to Wayne. “Gum please?” He quickly chewed the proffered sliver of gum and then used it to fix the centrefold to the dark wood lacquered wall and stepped back to admire his handiwork.

“Excuse me,” Isobel began as she stepped over the threshold. “Mr DiNozzo will not appreciate you doing that.”

“Yeah,” Tony frowned at her. “In case you forgot, I’m Mr DiNozzo too " only you can call me Tony " and this Mr DiNozzo does appreciate removing that old fart for the duration,” he paused. “I can confine him to the head if you like, Irene " up to you.”

“Isobel,” she snarled, her face pinched.

“Whatever,” Tony flapped a hand at her. “So, you are " actually " Stefan and the other two goons I can understand working for dear old pater " but you? What’s your job? Apart from rubbing me up the wrong way from the outset?”

“I am your father’s personal assistant " he entrusts me with everything,” she purred as she took a seat and buckled up.

“Everything?” Tony echoed. “I’m guessing that doesn’t include the combination to his safe " but I’ll bet you’re working on that.”

“How dare you!” Isobel snapped.

“Oh, I dare,” Tony shot back. “And I haven’t even started yet " and we’ve got about five hours ahead of us. Just think of the fun we could have.” Stefan chose that moment to exit the cockpit. “Hey, Stefan " you remember to pack Twister?”

“Twister?” Stefan repeated, looking bemused.

“Twister,” Tony prompted. “You know, spin the arrow and then we all get up and personal trying to put our hands and feet on the coloured dots " well, not us " maybe me and Isodora here,” he flashed the woman one of his megawatt smiles. “Wanna get up and personal?”

Isobel was having a great deal of trouble containing herself from an outburst but she raised both hands to her hair, smoothing it back as she lowered her gaze and settled back.

“Will you quit while you’re ahead?” Gibbs suggested from behind a copy of the New York Times. “Five hours on a plane with you in this mood " and I’ll probably be tossing you out the airlock in one.” He lowered one corner of the paper and then crumpled it into his lap. “With me,” he said softly as he rose from his seat, glancing down at Tony before moving to the far end of the plane towards a small sofa " its back facing into the cabin. Tony frowned for a second and then followed, sitting next to his lover and leaning close. A glance back and Gibbs could see Stefan making his way out of the main door, Wayne was otherwise engaged on his cell phone as he disappeared after Stefan and Isobel was fixing earphones with one hand and concentrating on her Ipod with the other. “You’re being an ass, Tony.” Gibbs sat back, leaving his hand resting lightly on Tony’s for a moment. “Bravado doesn’t suit you.”

“I’m just being " “

“Believe me,” Gibbs breathed. “I *know* you.”

“But " “ Tony stared at him. “I’m just " “

“You’re just covering up the fact that you’re worried, hell " you might even be a little bit scared but fucking these guys off isn’t going to help you " or us. Just relax, just calm down and enjoy the flight.”

“Jethro " “

“We’re in a Gulf Stream 2000 with a ton of extras and you haven’t even commented on that fact " which is what I expected as soon as we boarded.” Gibbs smiled at him.

“You *know* we’re on a Gulf Stream?” Tony’s eyes went wide. “Hey, I’m impressed.”

“It’s written on the nose,” Gibbs chuckled. “Look, all I want is for you to remember you’re not alone in this, I’m right here with you and whatever your father has planned " whatever happens " I’ve got your six.”

Tony lowered his eyes, taking Gibbs’ hand in his and squeezing lightly. “Yeah, Boss. I know. No more wise ass " but she starts anything " “

“You’ll just smile and take it, DiNozzo.” Gibbs warned. “Or do you really want me to head slap ya?”

“No head slap, Boss. I’ll behave.”

“Glad to hear it.” A final hand squeeze and the two men retook their original seats, Gibbs burying himself in the newspaper again and Tony collecting up his magazine and leafing through it.

*~*~*

“Just curious,” Gibbs started as Stefan sat opposite him.

“About what, Mr Gibbs?” Stefan smiled wanly.

“Just Gibbs.”

“About what, Gibbs?”

“Your methods?”

Stefan snickered softly. “Before I answer that, can I ask you something?”

“Within reason.” Gibbs affirmed as Tony rejoined them from the head. “What?”

“Do you always do all the talking?” Stefan watched Tony closely as he waited for an answer. “Seems to me, DiNozzo Junior does what you tell him most of the time " and most of the time we’ve been together " you seem to be the one in charge.”

“Really?” It was Gibbs’ turn to snicker. “It’s Tony " not DiNozzo Junior. I’m his Boss and if I see fit to have to reel him in now and again " that’s my prerogative. For the record though " I don’t take kindly to demands from overbearing assholes even if they are the father of one of my team and I sure as hell don’t like being commanded to be present when all the bastard had to do was ask nicely.”

“Mr DiNozzo always asks nicely, Gibbs.” Stefan pointed out. “This whole trip is on him as it is " and seems to me I’m sensing you’re a little ungrateful " after all, this is costing *my* Boss money " not you.”

“He didn’t *have* to foot the bill,” Tony shrugged. “But then, he’s always happier when he’s showing off " this plane for instance and, no doubt, the limo waiting at the other end.”

“Limo?” Gibbs looked at Tony quickly. “A cab would do me.”

“Limo’s always a little too " I dunno. Ostentatious?” Tony suggested.

“Your father is only trying to do his best for you, Tony.” Stefan said stiffly. “We were instructed to bring you to him with as little fuss as possible. He did warn us, however, that you do tend to sneer at his obvious shortcomings " the least of which being that he now recognises that he has failed you and wants nothing more than to make up for lost time.”

“Lost time?” Tony echoed. “Look, Stefan " I don’t know how long you’ve worked for him. I don’t know and frankly I really don’t want to know but one thing you will soon realise about my father is that words cost him nothing, actions cost nothing unless there’s a profit in it " to him, I’m nothing but empty words and even emptier actions " he wants something he takes it and when he’s done " it gets tossed aside and he moves on. The bastard is up to something and, although he’ll never admit it, that something includes me and he wants me back real bad. All this fluff,” Tony indicated the cabin. “All this is just window dressing.”

“Your father has a good heart.”

“Crap!” Tony snorted. “Hasn’t it even occurred to you to ask yourself why it’s taken you three and her " the four of you to get Gibbs and me here? All he had to do was pick up the phone and call me " all he had to do was ask me over.”

“And you’d have come?”

“No.” Tony shrugged. “Not immediately " but curiosity would have won out in the end.”

“Liar,” Gibbs stated.

“Aw, am I that transparent?” Tony did his best to look hurt.

“At times, DiNozzo. You want to explain why he wanted me along too?” This directed at Stefan.

“I have no idea, Gibbs " but I’m sure it’s not in a babysitting capacity. I’m sure Tony can look after himself.”

“Sure can,” Tony stood up and shrugged off his coat. “Been doing that since I was ten years old " a mother drunk in the drawing room and the old man cooped up with his cronies in his study " you learn to look after number one " fast.”

At that moment, Gibbs’ cell beeped and he tugged it out of a pocket. Frowning, he held it at arms length and squinted at the screen. “I think it’s a text doodah,” he murmured. Tony said nothing, he reached for the cell and hit a button, handing it back. “Thanks.”

“You’re welcome,” Tony settled back in his seat. “What’s it say?”

“Reservations at Berkeley made.”

“The Director came up trumps for us,” Tony beamed. “I like the Berkeley " understated, comfortable, tres expensive and " best of all " it’s not costing us a penny.”

“I beg to differ,” Stefan reached into the inside pocket of his jacket. “Your father had already assumed you might not wish to stay at the house " he has arranged the penthouse for you at the Hyatt,” he said as he dropped a folded piece of paper onto the small table. “Provisionally booked for a week’s stay.”

“We’re not planning on staying more than is necessary,” Gibbs said as he unfolded the paper and scanned it, handing it to Tony.

“But tell him thanks anyway,” Tony flashed a smile as he scrunched the paper in his hand, tossing it over his shoulder.

“I take it his invitation to dinner at the house tonight is met with equal disdain?”

“No,” Gibbs said levelly. “Dinner tonight will be fine " but just so you know " we don’t do formal.”

“What you see is what you get,” Tony added.

Stefan glared at the two men for a moment and then the smile was plastered back in place. “I do hope you are not planning on pissing Mr DiNozzo off before you’ve even seen him,” he said softly.

“Working on it,” Tony grinned. “Only way we’re going to have fun this trip.”

“And isn’t that what LA’s all about?” Gibbs asked lightly. “Having fun?”

“Now you’re getting it, Boss.”

Stefan bristled…

TBC…
Family Ties by mrsdinozzo
Title: Family Ties " Part 7
Author: mrsdinozzo
Rating: FRAO (soon)
Pairing: DiNozzo/Gibbs
Archive: sure " to WWOMB
Spoilers: Nil




Tony was quiet. Too quiet. But Gibbs said nothing as they climbed into the waiting limo " the sanctimonious grin on Stefan’s face as he held open the door for first, Gibbs and then Tony irked him but he said nothing " notching it up for later as a chance to maybe slap the goon a little hard should the chance arise. He was grateful to see the goon mobile would be following so neither of them would have to put up with Stefan and his cohorts any longer.

“You okay, Tony?” Gibbs asked as he settled back, his gaze caught as a small jet plane taxied along the runway.

“M’fine,” was all Tony said, although the fisting and unfisting of the hand in his lap told another story.

“If you say so,” Gibbs affirmed. No reply but the tension was palpable as the car started up. “LA huh? First time for me.”

“It’s been a while,” Tony sighed. “Never thought I’d be " “ he glanced at Gibbs and dropped his gaze " opting for silence again.

“We got time to talk later, DiNozzo.” Gibbs itched to reach out and take his lover’s hand but there was no telling what view the driver had " or whether they were under any sort of covert surveillance so, instead, he settled back to enjoy the ride.

“Berkeley?” The driver asked politely. “Nice place " not that I can afford it on my salary " staying long?”

“As long as needs be,” Gibbs answered. “A day at most.”

“You can’t see all of this beautiful city in one day, sir,” the driver chuckled. “All the way here then you’re turning round and headed back to DC? Man " that is *no* visit.”

“Long enough for us to get done what needs doing,” Gibbs frowned at the brown eyes staring back at him in the rear-view mirror and the driver immediately got the hint and quieted.

The drive was " for the most part " silent.

“I can’t do this, Boss.” Tony whispered, staring at the ceiling. “I can’t do this.”

“Tony?” Gibbs said sounding concerned. “Get a hold of yourself,” he took a hold of Tony’s wrist, his index finger running a soothing circle on the palm. “You want to stop the car for a second?”

“No,” Tony shook his head. “No " it’s just " just " “

“Later,” Gibbs breathed. “Later.”

Tony nodded, a small smile gracing his features. “Sorry Boss " just nerves I guess.”

“Yeah " I’d be nervous too " “

“Meaning?” Tony hissed, his eyes suddenly narrowing.

“Meaning, DiNozzo " hell " I don’t know " but I get what you’re saying.”

“No you don’t,” Tony whispered again. “No you fucking don’t!” He pressed himself tight up against the door, pushed his shades up to the bridge of his nose and stared pointedly out of the window. “No-one fucking does!”

“Can’t be jetlag,” the driver said lightly. “Your buddy okay?”

“Here’s a tip,” Gibbs leaned forward, resting both arms on the back of the driver’s seat. “You keep your eyes on the road, your ears shut " and that mouth closed.”

“Woah,” the man protested. “Only showing concern for my fellow man " man. That’s all " what’s his deal anyway?” He glanced back at Tony.

“None of your business,” Gibbs kept his voice deliberately low. “And if it was, I couldn’t tell you " because then I’d have to kill you.”

“Oh fuck,” the driver whimpered. “Second day out driving the limo and I pissed another client off already.”

“Oh,” Gibbs growled in his ear. “It takes a lot more than a nosey bastard like you to piss me off " only when people piss me off " I tend to lose control, I get angry.”

“Boss, leave it,” Tony tugged Gibbs back by the shoulder. “Don’t make any more trouble " just leave him be.”

“Just leave me be,” the driver nodded. “Sure, leave me be and I get to live another day.”

*****

Twenty minutes later, the limo pulled up outside the Berkeley and both men alighted, moving round to the trunk as their bags were unloaded. Gibbs made a point of ignoring Tony for the moment, reluctantly handing their driver a five dollar note.

“That’s it?” the driver scorned.

“If you don’t want it, I’ll have it back?” Gibbs made to take the money.

“No,” the driver stuffed the note into a pocket. “Five is fine " just fine. I’ll be back here to collect you at seven sharp. Mr DiNozzo doesn’t like " “

“ " to be kept waiting,” Gibbs finished for him. “You’ll be back here for seven thirty sharp " and you’ll spend an hour showing us some of LA.”

“The Boss won’t like that.”

“I don’t give a flying fuck what the Boss won’t like,” Gibbs grinned. “We’re his guests and as guests we get to do what we like " we’re on vacation right?”

“Oh man " and I am one lucky bastard taking Mr D all the way to ‘Frisco on Sunday afternoon " he’s going to be in a foul mood " it’ll be hell.”

“For a driver,” Gibbs gazed at him. “You sure do talk a lot.”

“All part of the service.”

“Yeah,” Gibbs flapped a hand at the limo as a bellboy stepped up beside him. “Now fuck off.”

“Sir?” The bellboy looked at him aghast.

“Not you,” Gibbs picked up the two bags in one hand and guided Tony by the elbow inside to the lobby, the bellboy hot on his tail.

“Can I help you with those?” he asked politely, still somewhat stunned at the older man’s gruffness.

“No,” Gibbs flashed him a smile. “I’ve got two hands. Where do we check in?”

“All done for you, Agent Gibbs.” Stefan was stalking across the lobby floor, room keys in hand. “Rooms 147 and 148 " doubles.”

“We need nurse maids too?”

“Thanks, Stefan.” Tony snatched the keys from him, glaring at Gibbs. “We’ll take it from here. Elevators?”

Stefan pointed back the way he had just come. “Enjoy your stay, gentlemen.” He intoned with a wave of his hand at their departing backs. “Great,” he muttered under his breath. “It’s not two agents we’re dealing with here is it? Nah " one’s a barely pubescent teenager and the other one " is there a word in the dictionary that encompasses bad tempered, wise assing old bastard who thinks the world owes him something?” He left the hotel still muttering to himself making mental note to dig out a dictionary later.

****

“What are you doing?” Tony asked softly as they waited for the elevator.

“Bear with me,” Gibbs held his cell at arms length, squinting at the screen. “Damn doodah! How’d I bring up messages?” he jerked the phone at Tony.

“You’ve done it before,” Tony threw him a look as he searched the menus.

“Yeah, I know.” Gibbs nodded. “Most of the time I get the right button.”

“Woah!” Tony snickered. “Someone’s popular " you got seven messages " from " “ he hit a few buttons and then deflated. “Ziva.”

“And?” Gibbs took back the cell as the elevator doors pinged.

“How should I know? You snatched it back before I had a " “

Gibbs held up a hand, stepping aside as a couple left the car and another joined them inside. He held the screen at arms length again and looked to Tony, to the screen and back again " handing the device to the younger man.

“What?” Tony mouthed.

“In a second.” Gibbs shook his head slightly. “Just read.”

Tony read " and understood, finding himself unable to stop smiling at the keys he’d just been carrying were taken from him and slipped into the large open wicker shoulder purse of the woman standing in front of Gibbs.

The couple finally exited the elevator and Gibbs hit speed dial, pressing the phone to his ear. A hurried conversation as they also exited the car and Gibbs threw the phone to Tony.

“Turn it off,” Gibbs said as he pushed open the door to the stairs. “We’ve got ten minutes max.”

“For what?” Tony was puzzled.

“Ziva’s arranged an alternative hotel " also we’re switching cells " and the car with our new cells which is also our transport to the Radisson " will be outside the parking garage in about five minutes.” Gibbs was trotting down the stairs quickly, Tony on his heels.

“I like you, Gibbs.” Tony snickered. “You trust the old bastard just as much as I do.”

“Less,” Gibbs pointed out. “A hell of a lot less.”



****

An hour later, showered and on his third mug of coffee Gibbs stepped outside onto the balcony of their hotel and sat down on the roomy sofa. Tony stood at the rail, hands grasping the metal tightly as he stared out over the vista of LA.

“I already asked, I know.” Gibbs said, keeping his tone light. “But " are you okay?”

“It’s all right, Boss.” Tony said softly. “I bit your head off earlier " I’m sorry.”

“Don’t be sorry, DiNozzo " “

“It’s a sign of weakness, another made up rule.” Tony turned round, facing into the room and folded his arms. “But no " if I’m really honest, Gibbs? I’m scared as hell and now we’re here " and he’s " out there " somewhere within a ten mile radius. He feels so fucking close I can almost smell him.”

“Which is why Ziva insisted on a change of venue " “ Gibbs placed his mug on the floor and got to his feet. “And it’s my turn to be sorry.”

“What the hell did you do?” Tony glanced at him briefly before staring at his feet. “Apart from act all gun ho " and where did all that crap come from anyway? You like that with all limo drivers?”

“Only the ones that piss me off,” Gibbs shrugged. “I’m sorry I didn’t tell you about the switch till it happened. I didn’t want to risk " I mean " you’re Senior Field Agent and I should have had you in on the loop but " “

“No, you did right Boss.” Tony held up a hand as he shook his head. “Less people knowing and all that crap. I’m glad you thought of it " cause I sure as hell didn’t. One point to dear old Dad.”

“Hey!” Gibbs rested a hand on both Tony’s shoulders and shook his gently. “No points to the old fart " we’re just covering our backs " that’s all.”

“Was it your idea or Ziva’s?” Tony looked at him as though daring him to answer.

“Ziva’s.” Gibbs admitted after a pause. “Tony " you’re trembling.” He pulled the younger man into his arms, a hand rubbing small circles on his lower back and smiled to himself as the embrace was returned. “What the hell did that bastard ever do to you to make you this scared?”

Tony snuffled softly into Gibbs’s shoulder, biting back a sob before pulling back, both hands wiping tears from his eyes.

“What is it you haven’t told me?” Gibbs pressed gently. “What the fuck reduces a grown man, not to mention my top NCIS agent to tears?”

“Gibbs " please " “ Tony gazed into those steely blue eyes and smiled softly. “Don’t " please? Just don’t?” With that, he stepped around the older man and disappeared inside " leaving Gibbs with a cold, gnawing feeling in his gut.

“DiNozzo Senior,” he breathed. “Man " have you got a penance to pay! And the first thing on my *piss Daddy off list*? " we’ll be pulling up outside in a yellow cab.”

TBC:…..
End Notes:
Touchdown in LA...and Gibbs is being sneaky...oh so sneaky...
Family Ties by mrsdinozzo
“Talk to me, Tony.” Gibbs from the balcony doorway, his heart nearly breaking at the sight of Tony sitting on the end of the vast bed, head bowed and his shoulders shuddering as he sobbed silently. “Tony?”

“Wh-what’s to talk about, Jethro?” he stuttered as he lifted both hands to his face and scrubbed the tears away, drying his hands quickly on his jeans. “Y-you wouldn’t understand " nobody does.”

“Since when am I nobody?” Gibbs sighed softly as he took a seat beside the bereft young man, lifting an arm protectively around his shoulders and pulling him close. “It’s just me here " nobody else and I’d like to know what’s bothering you " it can’t be *that* bad can it?”

“It is,” Tony nodded, sniffing as he lifted his eyes to Gibbs’. “Believe me, i-it is.”

“Look,” Gibbs began. “I know you’re all nervous about meeting your old man again and I know he’s not been the nicest father in the world either but it doesn’t explain why you’re suddenly reduced to tears.”

“Because it’s not in my psych file?” Tony glared at him. “You think you know *all* about me?”

“I’m not saying that at all, Tony.” Gibbs answered softly. “I just want to understand " is that too much to ask?”

“Yeah,” Tony sniffed again and got to his feet. “Somethings a guy doesn’t admit to, Gibbs, and this is one of them. I don’t want to talk about it, I never will talk about it " it’s something I’ve got to deal with on my own.”

“No way,” Gibbs was on his feet now, both hands on Tony’s shoulders. “Level with me " help me to understand.”

“Understand?” Tony snapped. “Under " fucking " stand? What’s to understand? How could you understand? You’re a fucking hard core Marine Gunny " you got a problem with something " you shoot first, ask questions later. Me? I’m the one who’s gotta live with this day in and day fucking out, Gibbs!! Me!! Alone!”

“Live with what, Tony?” Gibbs was fighting hard to keep his cool as Tony stood nose to nose with him " his eyes dark with anger " laced with a little fear. “Okay " “ he stepped back, hands raised. “I’ll go out and come in again.”

“Why are you here anyway?” Tony challenged. “I don’t need a freakin’ babysitter " I didn’t want you to come but you did " my fucking father demanded I get my ass over here " and I know for a fact he’d have sent someone to fetch me if I didn’t make the fucking trip.”

“Over my dead body.” Gibbs growled.

“Not too late,” Tony snarled. “Believe me, you’re better off heading back to DC, Gibbs " I don’t need you!”

“Yes you do,” Gibbs stated flatly.

“No I do *not*!”

“I’m going nowhere,” Gibbs sat down on the edge of the bed and scooted up to the head end. “I’m staying right here and I’m going to wait " patiently " until you tell me why you are so afraid of him.”

Tony frowned, hands on hips. “Did you hear a word I just said?”

“Uh-huh.” Gibbs nodded. “Did you hear what I just said?”

Without another word, Tony snatched up his jacket and collected his Sig from his holdall and checked it was loaded. He pushed it into the waist band of his jeans and shoved his badge into a jacket pocket.

“Now what the fuck are you doing?”

“I’m sorting this once and for all, Gibbs.” Tony walked to the door. “If I don’t " I never will.”

Gibbs was off the bed and pushing his way between Tony and the door " purposely stepping forward and easing Tony back into the room as his hand reached around the back of Tony’s jeans and eased out the Sig. “Sit down,” Gibbs said quietly. “Sit down, calm down before I knock you down, DiNozzo.”

“You wouldn’t dare!” Tony’s eyes went wide. He thought about reacting but found he had no choice in the matter as he felt the bed at the back of his thighs. He sat down " visibly deflating as he watched Gibbs stow away the Sig safely.

“You’re an ass at times, Tony,” the older man sat opposite him and watched him closely. “Now, spill " or I’ll keep you up all night till you do.”

“I " I " “ Tony was having trouble even looking in Gibbs’ direction, his hands fisting on his thighs as he fought to calm himself. “I’ve never told anyone " “ he said haltingly.

“It’s not good to hold things inside, Tony. You know that " just take your time.”

“I’ve never told anyone because it’s so lame and stupid - *so* lame and stupid. I’m lame and stupid.”

“You’re not lame, you’re not stupid, Tony.” Gibbs smiled at him gently. “Something’s bothering you " has been for a while " is it *so* hard to let go and just tell me?”

Tearfilled green eyes met his and instantly Gibbs was at Tony’s side again, embracing him and letting the man cry into his shoulder. And cry Tony did " he sobbed and sniffled until eventually a quiet calm settled in the room as Gibbs rocked him gently back and fore, muttering soothing noises into his ear as he did so.

It took a few minutes for Tony to compose himself as he slid off the bed and sat back against it on the floor, Gibbs sliding down to meet him and taking his hand, linking fingers and squeezing affectionately. “S-sorry I said what I s-said.” Tony shrugged.

“I know,” Gibbs kissed the back of his hand. “Water off a duck’s back " it’s gone and forgotten.”

“It’s just " “ Tony straightened his back and lifted his head " staring at the far wall. “You know my " you know how I get when I see " “ he paused, and cursed himself softly. “Remember when we " you know that time at that crime scene when that corpse was dug up and left in that vacant house?”

“Vividly,” Gibbs nodded.

“And just after Ducky had finished examining the body " “

“You jumped out of your skin and collided with my coffee cup " yeah, Tony. I remember.”

“You remember *what* made me do that?”

“Some kinda insect?” Gibbs felt it " the slight tightening of Tony’s grip on his and then it was gone " unlike Tony who’d suddenly gone quite pale. “So a beetle scared you " what’s the big deal, Tony?”

Tony closed his eyes, forcing himself to breathe evenly " despite the many visuals playing out in his head right at that minute and he took deep breaths, worrying his lower lip as he did so. “And then " we had the corpse in the chimney?”

“And that time, you got spooked by a rat?”

“Don’t even *say* the word,” Tony hissed, eyes tight shut and grimacing.

Gibbs made to speak but instead, he stared hard at Tony " his mind already telling him what the problem was but he refused to believe it. “Tony?” he said quietly. “What did your old man do to you when you were a kid?”

“You know,” Tony snickered half heartedly. “It’s funny but maybe he was doing the right thing " *building character* he called it. Wanted to toughen me up " wanted me to face my fears and overcome them " he even " “

“Tony,” Gibbs whispered as the young man shifted about until he was sitting between Gibbs’ legs, his back resting against the other man’s chest " hands entwined as though gathering strength from each other as Tony relaxed into the easy embrace, his head on Gibbs’ shoulder. “How old were you?”

“The first time?” Tony said softly. “No more than six or seven.”

“Tell me.”

“Nothing to tell,” Tony replied, his voice halting. “I pissed him off and he’d have me shut in the vivarium.”

“Vivarium as in his collection of creepy crawlies?”

“Y-yes. Filled with all sorts of vile creatures " he was really proud of his tarantula collection " and his singing cockroaches too. He used to like to bring them out onto his hand and shove the fuckers in my face " “ Gibbs felt a shudder run through Tony and pulled him closer, kissing his forehead. “He’d leave me " leave me in there with the light out " telling me " t-telling me they’d got loose and if one got me " that was " t-too bad. Death by spider venom could last a long time " h-he used to tell me stories about when he was " h-he got bitten.”

“What manner of bastard does this to his six year old son?” Gibbs breathed. “How long did this go on for?”

“It " i-it was the rats though.” Tony went on, deaf to Gibbs’ questions. “He " he’d bring one into my room when I was asleep " he’d let it loose under the bedclothes " and " a-and I-I’d wake up screaming and he’d be outside " laughing " l-laughing while I begged him to come and help me only " h-he never did help me. When " when he stopped laughing " I had to stop crying " not that it mattered " he was always looking for an excuse to beat me.”

“Enough, Tony.” Gibbs whispered in his ear. “Enough. You don’t have to think about it any more " not now.”

“B-but I do, Gibbs.” Tony sighed, snuffling softly. “I do " because for all I know " that room is still there. For all we know " he’ll have the rats as dinner guests, he’ll have his creatures on display just to taunt me " he’ll " “

“He’ll do nothing,” Gibbs affirmed. “If he plays his cards right, he’ll be the one the rats have for dinner " sick bastard.”

“No, Gibbs.” Tony shifted again until he was facing Gibbs, his eyes alive with genuine fear. “No, don’t go in there all " Marine Gunny mad " he’ll " he’ll just " “

“Just what?” Gibbs rolled his eyes, stroking the side of Tony’s face. “He’ll just " be made to understand that to do what he did to you " even all those years ago " he’s done to me.”

“But you weren’t the one nearly peeing your pants every time he so much as looked at you!” Tony settled down again with his back to Gibbs, their hands clasped.

“We’ll see who’s peeing whose pants, DiNozzo " here’s a clue " it’s not you and it’s not me. Don’t tell me,” he tightened his embrace for a second or two. “He has someone pee for him?”

“I had heard rumours " “ Tony snickered. “Look, I " I’m sorry I should’ve said something " I should have told you all about this " “

“Are you glad you did?”

“I guess so,” Tony shrugged. “What in hell was I thinking?”

“When?”

“Grabbing the Sig and heading for the door? I’m losing it!”

“Nah,” Gibbs chuckled. “You’d have every last resident of the vivarium lined up against little targets, blind folded and smoking their last cigarette " making their final requests.”

“I’m not going to get much sleep tonight, Gibbs.” Tony said staring into space. “Now I’m all set for another string of nightmares " I’ll keep you awake.”

“Been there, done that,” Gibbs got to his feet, reaching to Tony with a hand. “Just know that I’m right there beside you " I’ll be watching out for you " you need me " you yell, you know the rules by now.”

“Dear God I love you so freakin’ much, Jethro.”

“I love you, Tony,” Gibbs whispered as he leaned in for a kiss. “I love you and I’ll always be here for you.”

“Till you quit again and fuck off back to Mexico!”

Gibbs snapped his head back and glared at Tony. “For the final fucking time " I did *not* quit!”

Any further protest from Gibbs was soon silenced as Tony pulled him into his own strong embrace " and they kissed.

TBC….
Family Ties by mrsdinozzo
“Talk to me, Tony.” Gibbs from the balcony doorway, his heart nearly breaking at the sight of Tony sitting on the end of the vast bed, head bowed and his shoulders shuddering as he sobbed silently. “Tony?”

“Wh-what’s to talk about, Jethro?” he stuttered as he lifted both hands to his face and scrubbed the tears away, drying his hands quickly on his jeans. “Y-you wouldn’t understand " nobody does.”

“Since when am I nobody?” Gibbs sighed softly as he took a seat beside the bereft young man, lifting an arm protectively around his shoulders and pulling him close. “It’s just me here " nobody else and I’d like to know what’s bothering you " it can’t be *that* bad can it?”

“It is,” Tony nodded, sniffing as he lifted his eyes to Gibbs’. “Believe me, i-it is.”

“Look,” Gibbs began. “I know you’re all nervous about meeting your old man again and I know he’s not been the nicest father in the world either but it doesn’t explain why you’re suddenly reduced to tears.”

“Because it’s not in my psych file?” Tony glared at him. “You think you know *all* about me?”

“I’m not saying that at all, Tony.” Gibbs answered softly. “I just want to understand " is that too much to ask?”

“Yeah,” Tony sniffed again and got to his feet. “Somethings a guy doesn’t admit to, Gibbs, and this is one of them. I don’t want to talk about it, I never will talk about it " it’s something I’ve got to deal with on my own.”

“No way,” Gibbs was on his feet now, both hands on Tony’s shoulders. “Level with me " help me to understand.”

“Understand?” Tony snapped. “Under " fucking " stand? What’s to understand? How could you understand? You’re a fucking hard core Marine Gunny " you got a problem with something " you shoot first, ask questions later. Me? I’m the one who’s gotta live with this day in and day fucking out, Gibbs!! Me!! Alone!”

“Live with what, Tony?” Gibbs was fighting hard to keep his cool as Tony stood nose to nose with him " his eyes dark with anger " laced with a little fear. “Okay " “ he stepped back, hands raised. “I’ll go out and come in again.”

“Why are you here anyway?” Tony challenged. “I don’t need a freakin’ babysitter " I didn’t want you to come but you did " my fucking father demanded I get my ass over here " and I know for a fact he’d have sent someone to fetch me if I didn’t make the fucking trip.”

“Over my dead body.” Gibbs growled.

“Not too late,” Tony snarled. “Believe me, you’re better off heading back to DC, Gibbs " I don’t need you!”

“Yes you do,” Gibbs stated flatly.

“No I do *not*!”

“I’m going nowhere,” Gibbs sat down on the edge of the bed and scooted up to the head end. “I’m staying right here and I’m going to wait " patiently " until you tell me why you are so afraid of him.”

Tony frowned, hands on hips. “Did you hear a word I just said?”

“Uh-huh.” Gibbs nodded. “Did you hear what I just said?”

Without another word, Tony snatched up his jacket and collected his Sig from his holdall and checked it was loaded. He pushed it into the waist band of his jeans and shoved his badge into a jacket pocket.

“Now what the fuck are you doing?”

“I’m sorting this once and for all, Gibbs.” Tony walked to the door. “If I don’t " I never will.”

Gibbs was off the bed and pushing his way between Tony and the door " purposely stepping forward and easing Tony back into the room as his hand reached around the back of Tony’s jeans and eased out the Sig. “Sit down,” Gibbs said quietly. “Sit down, calm down before I knock you down, DiNozzo.”

“You wouldn’t dare!” Tony’s eyes went wide. He thought about reacting but found he had no choice in the matter as he felt the bed at the back of his thighs. He sat down " visibly deflating as he watched Gibbs stow away the Sig safely.

“You’re an ass at times, Tony,” the older man sat opposite him and watched him closely. “Now, spill " or I’ll keep you up all night till you do.”

“I " I " “ Tony was having trouble even looking in Gibbs’ direction, his hands fisting on his thighs as he fought to calm himself. “I’ve never told anyone " “ he said haltingly.

“It’s not good to hold things inside, Tony. You know that " just take your time.”

“I’ve never told anyone because it’s so lame and stupid - *so* lame and stupid. I’m lame and stupid.”

“You’re not lame, you’re not stupid, Tony.” Gibbs smiled at him gently. “Something’s bothering you " has been for a while " is it *so* hard to let go and just tell me?”

Tearfilled green eyes met his and instantly Gibbs was at Tony’s side again, embracing him and letting the man cry into his shoulder. And cry Tony did " he sobbed and sniffled until eventually a quiet calm settled in the room as Gibbs rocked him gently back and fore, muttering soothing noises into his ear as he did so.

It took a few minutes for Tony to compose himself as he slid off the bed and sat back against it on the floor, Gibbs sliding down to meet him and taking his hand, linking fingers and squeezing affectionately. “S-sorry I said what I s-said.” Tony shrugged.

“I know,” Gibbs kissed the back of his hand. “Water off a duck’s back " it’s gone and forgotten.”

“It’s just " “ Tony straightened his back and lifted his head " staring at the far wall. “You know my " you know how I get when I see " “ he paused, and cursed himself softly. “Remember when we " you know that time at that crime scene when that corpse was dug up and left in that vacant house?”

“Vividly,” Gibbs nodded.

“And just after Ducky had finished examining the body " “

“You jumped out of your skin and collided with my coffee cup " yeah, Tony. I remember.”

“You remember *what* made me do that?”

“Some kinda insect?” Gibbs felt it " the slight tightening of Tony’s grip on his and then it was gone " unlike Tony who’d suddenly gone quite pale. “So a beetle scared you " what’s the big deal, Tony?”

Tony closed his eyes, forcing himself to breathe evenly " despite the many visuals playing out in his head right at that minute and he took deep breaths, worrying his lower lip as he did so. “And then " we had the corpse in the chimney?”

“And that time, you got spooked by a rat?”

“Don’t even *say* the word,” Tony hissed, eyes tight shut and grimacing.

Gibbs made to speak but instead, he stared hard at Tony " his mind already telling him what the problem was but he refused to believe it. “Tony?” he said quietly. “What did your old man do to you when you were a kid?”

“You know,” Tony snickered half heartedly. “It’s funny but maybe he was doing the right thing " *building character* he called it. Wanted to toughen me up " wanted me to face my fears and overcome them " he even " “

“Tony,” Gibbs whispered as the young man shifted about until he was sitting between Gibbs’ legs, his back resting against the other man’s chest " hands entwined as though gathering strength from each other as Tony relaxed into the easy embrace, his head on Gibbs’ shoulder. “How old were you?”

“The first time?” Tony said softly. “No more than six or seven.”

“Tell me.”

“Nothing to tell,” Tony replied, his voice halting. “I pissed him off and he’d have me shut in the vivarium.”

“Vivarium as in his collection of creepy crawlies?”

“Y-yes. Filled with all sorts of vile creatures " he was really proud of his tarantula collection " and his singing cockroaches too. He used to like to bring them out onto his hand and shove the fuckers in my face " “ Gibbs felt a shudder run through Tony and pulled him closer, kissing his forehead. “He’d leave me " leave me in there with the light out " telling me " t-telling me they’d got loose and if one got me " that was " t-too bad. Death by spider venom could last a long time " h-he used to tell me stories about when he was " h-he got bitten.”

“What manner of bastard does this to his six year old son?” Gibbs breathed. “How long did this go on for?”

“It " i-it was the rats though.” Tony went on, deaf to Gibbs’ questions. “He " he’d bring one into my room when I was asleep " he’d let it loose under the bedclothes " and " a-and I-I’d wake up screaming and he’d be outside " laughing " l-laughing while I begged him to come and help me only " h-he never did help me. When " when he stopped laughing " I had to stop crying " not that it mattered " he was always looking for an excuse to beat me.”

“Enough, Tony.” Gibbs whispered in his ear. “Enough. You don’t have to think about it any more " not now.”

“B-but I do, Gibbs.” Tony sighed, snuffling softly. “I do " because for all I know " that room is still there. For all we know " he’ll have the rats as dinner guests, he’ll have his creatures on display just to taunt me " he’ll " “

“He’ll do nothing,” Gibbs affirmed. “If he plays his cards right, he’ll be the one the rats have for dinner " sick bastard.”

“No, Gibbs.” Tony shifted again until he was facing Gibbs, his eyes alive with genuine fear. “No, don’t go in there all " Marine Gunny mad " he’ll " he’ll just " “

“Just what?” Gibbs rolled his eyes, stroking the side of Tony’s face. “He’ll just " be made to understand that to do what he did to you " even all those years ago " he’s done to me.”

“But you weren’t the one nearly peeing your pants every time he so much as looked at you!” Tony settled down again with his back to Gibbs, their hands clasped.

“We’ll see who’s peeing whose pants, DiNozzo " here’s a clue " it’s not you and it’s not me. Don’t tell me,” he tightened his embrace for a second or two. “He has someone pee for him?”

“I had heard rumours " “ Tony snickered. “Look, I " I’m sorry I should’ve said something " I should have told you all about this " “

“Are you glad you did?”

“I guess so,” Tony shrugged. “What in hell was I thinking?”

“When?”

“Grabbing the Sig and heading for the door? I’m losing it!”

“Nah,” Gibbs chuckled. “You’d have every last resident of the vivarium lined up against little targets, blind folded and smoking their last cigarette " making their final requests.”

“I’m not going to get much sleep tonight, Gibbs.” Tony said staring into space. “Now I’m all set for another string of nightmares " I’ll keep you awake.”

“Been there, done that,” Gibbs got to his feet, reaching to Tony with a hand. “Just know that I’m right there beside you " I’ll be watching out for you " you need me " you yell, you know the rules by now.”

“Dear God I love you so freakin’ much, Jethro.”

“I love you, Tony,” Gibbs whispered as he leaned in for a kiss. “I love you and I’ll always be here for you.”

“Till you quit again and fuck off back to Mexico!”

Gibbs snapped his head back and glared at Tony. “For the final fucking time " I did *not* quit!”

Any further protest from Gibbs was soon silenced as Tony pulled him into his own strong embrace " and they kissed.

TBC….
Family Ties by mrsdinozzo
It began innocently enough.

Seeing tears welling up in Tony’s eyes as he leaned in to embrace his young lover once again, Gibbs pulled him close " making soothing sounds in his ear as he held the man to him until Tony could only hiccough as the sobs subsided. Tony snuffled into Gibbs’ neck, holding onto him as though for dear life as he slowly calmed.

“S-sorry,” Tony whispered, sniffing gently. “I’m s-so s-sorry, Jethro.”

“What for?” Gibbs asked quietly as he released him to look into his eyes. “It’s not your fault your father’s a bastard.”

“But " b-but look at me, I’m a m-mess.” Tony replied, dropping his gaze to his hands as Gibbs took them in his own, squeezing gently. “I " I don’t " “

“Ssh,” Gibbs lifted a hand, wiping a stray tear from Tony’s cheek with a soft smile. “Like I said " none of this is your fault.”

“Just " just promise me one thing, Gibbs?”

“Name it.”

Tony paused for a second, taking deep breaths to still his beating heart before finally lifting his gaze to the other man. “I need to hear you promise me, I *need* to hear it.”

“Whatever it is,” Gibbs spread his hands. “Within reason.”

“Don’t joke about it,” Tony scolded, quickly drying his face with his hands and wiping them on the seat of his pants. “I mean it.”

“Okay,” Gibbs frowned. “Sorry " no jokes.”

“I need you " I need you to tell me that no matter what the provocation, no matter what my father says, does or intimates " you won’t go off on a Gibbs tirade.”

Gibbs stared back at him for a moment. “I *don’t* go off on a tirade, Tony. Admittedly, I tend to explode for about a nanosecond and then I’m done.”

“Boss,” Tony let a small smile settle on his lips. “For explosion " read nuclear bomb.”

“But " “

“Promise me?” Tony insisted. “I need you to swear to me you won’t go for him " he’ll test you " he’ll bait you " he’ll try every damn trick in the book and I don’t want him getting any more ammunition than he already has.”

“What d’you think I’m going to do?”

“Short of killing him?”

Gibbs deflated visibly and chuckled. “Fine " that’s what you want " then I promise. No yelling, no smart answers and above all " there will be no punching his lights out.”

“I really can’t afford to screw any of this up, Gibbs.” Tony said in almost a whisper. “I don’t know what his agenda is, I have no idea why we’re here but he’s going to be watching you " and me " “

“Let him watch,” Gibbs conceded. “So " no backing him against the wall and wrapping my hands around his throat?”

“*Especially* not that,” it was Tony’s turn to snigger.

“That’s better,” Gibbs nodded with a grin.

“What? That I’m paranoid you’re going to do something stupid and " “

“No,” Gibbs sighed. “I mean " you’re smiling again.”

“Oh,” Tony blushed prettily. “At least one of us is happy.”

“And you will be,” Gibbs reassured him, turning to watch Tony sit himself on the end of the bed, head in hands.

“I’m such an asshole,” the younger man muttered.

Gibbs sighed again and hunkered down in front of him, resting his forearms on Tony’s knees before lifting a finger to Tony’s chin and easing his head up until their eyes met. “No one is an asshole, DiNozzo,” he said. “Especially you. You hear me?”

“Why’d you put up with me?” Tony asked with a shake of his head.

“Why?” Gibbs echoed. “Because I love you.”

“But you *know* me " you know what I’m really like Boss. I mean " you know what’s going on in here,” he pointed to the side of his head. “But mostly because you know what I’m like right here,” he pointed to his heart. “You really *know* me.”

“Tony " “

“I’m the insecurest insecure person I know " sure,” he blinked and sighed. “Everyone sees me as Tony DiNozzo " office goofball, ladies man, movie aficionado extraordinaire.”

“Tony?”

“But there’s a reason I’m the way I am, Gibbs " I can’t help what I am or who I am " I can’t help it that I’m the spawn of a " “

A finger to his lips silenced him and he blinked at the man still kneeling at his feet. “Tony " shut up " shut up now or I will have to resort to a head slap.”

“See?” Tony leaned back slightly. “Now you’re pissed at me!”

Gibbs let out a breath, a grin spreading across his face. “How in hell could I be pissed with you, DiNozzo?” He slowly straightened, hands on hips. “I’m seeing room service, a beer and pizza " how’s that sound?”

“You’re really pissed now " you changed the subject.” Tony gazed up at him, his eyes brimming again. “You only do that when you’re pissed.”

Gibbs said nothing. He merely lifted a hand and made the *come here* gesture with one finger. Tony obeyed almost instantly and stepped closer as Gibbs embraced him. “I’m thinking this bed is looking very inviting,” The older man breathed in his ear as the two hugged. “Damn " looks like I changed the subject yet again, Tony. Know what that means?”

*****

As Gibbs climbed into bed beside the young agent, he could already sense Tony had other things besides a quick fumble on his mind and, as the green eyes tracked him as he settled, he rested his head on an upraised hand and waited.

“Jethro?” Tony began, his eyes now looking anywhere but at him.

“Tony.”

“D’you mind if we don’t " you know " I’d prefer it if " “

“Get over here.” Gibbs growled softly, smiling to himself as Tony snuggled close, resting his head on Gibbs’ chest as he draped an arm over rock hard abs. “Bed’s as good a place as any for a cuddle, DiNozzo " you don’t have to sound guilty asking for that.”

“Yeah,” Tony pressed his lips to Gibbs’ left pec. “I know " but " you’re tenting the sheets already.”

“So, I’m tenting.” Gibbs frowned at his all too apparent erection. “I’ll work it off later " you’re far more important than me getting my rocks off right now.” He pulled Tony closer, kissing the top of his head gently. “Want to talk or just lie here?”

“Just lying here’s good.” Tony whispered. “Let the world go away for while " let me get myself back on track " yeah " lying here’s good.”

“Can I ask you something?” Gibbs prodded after a long moment. “And feel free to tell me to MYOB " but that therapist I hooked you up with " what was his name?”

“Dr Limb or was it Legg?”

“Whatever " was he any good?”

“As a therapist or a personal hygiene expert?” Tony lifted his head for a second. “He’d never heard of deodorant.”

“Mm,” Gibbs nodded. “How many sessions did you stand with him?”

“One and a half,” Tony answered in all honesty. “I was sitting by an open window for the first one " the second time the window was shut.”

“So you made your excuses and left.”

“I had to, Boss.” Tony replied. “It was hell!”

“Want me to find you someone else?” Gibbs asked softly. “Like I said, tell me to mind my own business if you want " but I want to help.”

Tony blew out a breath and shook his head. “I don’t think talking to a complete stranger helps, Boss,” he admitted. “I guess in reality it’s down to me, isn’t it? Face my demons and all that crap.”

“It is, but maybe having someone show you *how* to deal with those demons " someone neutral " someone looking in from the outside " another perspective.”

“I’ll think about it,” Tony said quietly. “Seeing the old man again might help too " reminding myself that I am *so* not like him in any way shape or form. Gibbs?”

“Uh-huh?”

“I didn’t tell you when I stopped seeing that shrink " I only told you just now.”

“Yeah?”

“And you don’t mind?”

“Mind what?”

“That I didn’t tell you I stopped seeing him.”

“Why should I?”

“Because you did me a favour,” Tony pointed out. “You went out of your way to find the best " you found him and I let you down.”

“I knew you’d stopped seeing him,” Gibbs lifted a hand and carded Tony’s hair gently. “And " I figured you’d have a good reason to stop seeing him and I also figured you’d tell me " in due time.”

“But I just told you now, three months later.”

“I know *you* just told me,” Gibbs snuggled him close. “I gave you a week back then, you said nothing " you’d tell me in your own good time.”

“But I didn’t, did I? I kept quiet.”

“You kept quiet " yes.” Gibbs chuckled. “He called me " told me he’d be happy to see you again whenever it suited you " read into that whatever you want.”

“Sorry, Boss.”

“Nothing to be sorry about, Tony. He just wasn’t the right guy for the job " in more ways than one.”

The two lay quietly together, nothing more was said " but Tony’s eyes kept drifting to the digital clock on the TV in the corner " it was already five thirty " an hour and a half and he’d be on his way to dinner with his father. An encounter he was not looking forward to " in the least.

TBC
Family ties by mrsdinozzo
“Boss, there’s something I haven’t told you.” Tony said softly as he tugged his battered jeans up over his hips and buttoned them. He shrugged on a sky blue tight fitting tee, pulling it straight but leaving it outside the jeans and reached for his navy hoodie with the red trim.

Gibbs watched him carefully, noting the shaking hands and the lack of eye contact and his gut rolled. “And you choose now to tell me?” he said, immediately regretting the tone of voice and he smiled. “Sorry,” he added. “That didn’t come out the way it should have.” Tony had been through enough already and they hadn’t even left the hotel yet " but something nagged at Gibbs " Tony’s body language telling him he might not *want* to hear what he had to say.

With a sigh, Tony reached into his backpack and scrabbled about for a moment until he straightened, pulling his hand free and holding up a cell phone.

“You got a back up?” Gibbs asked " trying to sound disinterested but failing.

“Not exactly,” Tony handed him the cell phone and stepped back, hands on hips and then pushing both into the back pockets of the jeans as he dropped his eyes to the floor. “When " when the tickets arrived " there was another parcel with them.” He pointed to the cell. “That came " my father wanted me to speak to him " without you overhearing.”

“And have you?”

“Hell no!” Tony shook his head. “No.” The look on his lover’s face sent a wave of guilt through him and he pulled in another deep breath. “No, Jethro. I haven’t even switched the thing on " even I’m not that " that stupid.”

Gibbs looked from the cell to Tony and back again. “And just when were you planning on telling me about this?” he held up the phone.

“I’ve told you, haven’t I?” Tony’s eyes widened. “Just " get rid of it for me? Please?”

“Why didn’t you " “ Gibbs paused and dropped the cell to the floor, stamping on it a few times until it was reduced to nothing but plastic and mangled circuits. He regarded the mess for a second or two. “He’s doing it again,” Gibbs lifted his eyes to Tony’s. Nothing was said for a long while until Tony looked away again to turn and make his way out onto the balcony. “Shit!” Gibbs breathed. “Shit!”

Tony was leaning on the top rail, gazing out over LA as Gibbs stepped up beside him, draping an arm around his shoulders. “Sorry,” Tony said almost sadly.

“Don’t be,” Gibbs shrugged. “He knew exactly what he was doing when he gave that phone " but he didn’t count on you telling me about it " “

“How’d you know I wouldn’t tell you?”

“I didn’t,” Gibbs admitted. “But like you said, you’re not stupid enough to switch it on.” Silence fell, Tony turning into Gibbs’ arms and pulling the man close. “You can still back out, you know.” Gibbs offered as they embraced. “No one will think any less of you.”

“That’s not the point,” Tony sighed. “*I* will think less of me. No.” he said softly with a shake of his head. “I’ve got to do this, if not for me " then..” he paused and sighed. “For us, Jethro. I want the bastard out of my life period " and if meeting with him face to face and somehow,” his eyes searched the room, “and somehow telling him that without acting and sounding like a terrified ten year old is the only way to get him to back off, then I have to do it.”

Gibbs merely nodded in reply, pulling the younger man into his arms gently. “I’m so very proud of you, you know,” he whispered. “So fucking proud right now, Tony.”

Tony pulled back and stared into steely blue eyes. “Proud?” he snorted. “I’m a freakin’ wuss, Boss. Scared of my own damned shadow.”

“You are a damn fine Special Agent,” Gibbs countered. “Hell, you nearly got your own team didn’t you? Team leader when I retired, then you got offered your own team " you think a wuss gets offered that?”

“No, but " “ Tony began, silenced as Gibbs placed a finger on his lips.

“But " you’ve got where you are today through sheer guts and determination,” Gibbs took his hand and led him back inside. “I know it’s not been an easy journey for you but it’s one that’s going to end today, Tony. It ends here " you need closure on those skeletons " all of them.”

“Boss?”

“Tony?”

“Can we just " you know " go?”

“Back to DC?” Gibbs turned to face him, frowning.

“No,” Tony shook his head. “Not back to DC " it’s just " the more we talk about this, the more I want out. I’m ready to do whatever it takes now " not in an hour, not next week " now.”

“Sure?”

“More than I’ve ever been.”

“Okay,” Gibbs flashed a smile. “Let’s do this.” He turned back to head to the door and paused, bending down to pick up the remnants of the cell phone still lying on the floor.

“The maid can do that,” Tony offered.

“She could,” Gibbs shrugged as he selected a mangled circuit board and the face of the cell. “But she won’t need to, call it a gift for your father " just so he’s in no doubt about anything.”

“No, Boss.” Tony sighed. “He’ll go nuts, he’ll " “

“He’ll *do* nothing, Tony.” Gibbs stashed the pieces in his jacket pocket. “Where’d you pack the photos?”

“You’re taking those too?”

“Nah,” Gibbs answered glibly. “Thought I’d autograph them and toss ‘em out the window on Sunset " course I’m taking them too.”

“This is not good,” Tony reached into an outer pocket of his pack and withdrew the envelope with the photos. “Maybe I should go alone after all.”

“Why?” Gibbs tucked the envelope into the inside pocket of the jacket.

“Because you’ve got that look again " the one that says it’s not going to take a lot to push your button and kaboom.”

“Tony, I will be calm and serene through all this,” Gibbs spread his hands. “You think I can’t handle an arrogant, obnoxious little shit like DiNozzo Senior " believe me, I’ve eaten worse than him for breakfast.”

“That’s what I’m afraid of,” Tony sighed again and made to sit on the edge of the bed only for Gibbs to tug him to his feet by the hand and pull him towards the door.

******

It took them a half hour and three cabs before they pulled up outside the main gates of Chez DiNozzo " strong metal gates with a thug the size of Arkansas standing just outside a small booth to their left. He stopped chewing his gum and spat noisily on the ground before sauntering over and leaning in the window.

“Name?” he drawled.

Gibbs said nothing, merely looking to Tony and then back out of the window again. Tony leaned forward.

“I’m expected.”

“I said, name.”

“DiNozzo Junior?”

“You on the list?”

“If I’m not, Dad’ll have apoplexy.”

“Hold on,” the other man straightened and slowly walked back to his booth. He reached for a clipboard with one hand and the phone with the other. He spoke to someone briefly, flashing a glance back at the cab twice before nodding and replacing the handset. “You’re in. Go slow " the dogs are exercising and these Dobermans have a problem with fast cars.”

“Do they?” Gibbs muttered.

“Yeah,” Thug replied. “They remember you " and they’ll get you on the way back out.”

“You done?”

“For now " Agent Gibbs.” He lifted a finger to his forehead in salute. “Anthony " your father’s poolside " and like I said " watch out for the dogs.”

“Not if I see them first,” Gibbs grinned lazily. “I hate dogs.”

The gates opened slowly and the cab rolled forward and on up the drive, sweeping round a rather tasteless, overly ornate marble fountain of some winsome cherubs and a naked woman to come to a halt at the steps to the main doors.

“You’ll be back to collect us at eleven sharp, Bill?” Tony asked as he opened the door.

“Count on it, Tony.” Bill said from the driver’s seat. “He’ll have three cabs to choose from at the end of the road, he won’t know where you’re staying " we got it covered.”

“Watching our six, huh?” Gibbs chuckled.

“Always, Jethro.” Bill nodded. “Always.”

“Remind me to return the favour some day,” Gibbs replied.

“We’ve got a couple of openings here if you ever think of moving out here,” Bill informed them. “New blood is always welcome at Hollywood NCIS.”

“Eleven,” Tony rested a hand on his shoulder. “And bring some medication with you.”

“What for? You sick or something?” Bill’s eyes became hooded in the rear view mirror.

“Not yet,” Tony answered quietly. “But I’ll be feeling pretty bilious when this is over with.”

“Good luck,” Bill said, waving cheerily from his window as the two men watched him leave.

“How’d Ziva do it?” Tony asked as the tail of the car rounded the bend and was lost from sight.

“How or why?”

“Both, I guess.”

“How is easy,” Gibbs shrugged. “I asked her to, she’s covering our backs. As for why?”

“Yeah?” Tony breathed.

“Because she cares?”

“What?”

“Yes, Tony. Believe me, she maybe a crazy ninja chick who can kill a hundred different ways with a paperclip " but she cares about us.”

“Ziva? *Our* Ziva " the one that creeps around behind me all the time, the one that’s always baiting me " “

Gibbs pulled in a breath and tilted his head. “Yes, Tony " *that* Ziva " the one who didn’t want either of taking this assignment in the first place.”

“But that’s Abby’s prerogative " something’s always hinky no matter what we’re doing.” Tony pointed out.

“It took me over an hour to persuade Ziva we’d be fine " but all this back up " it was either that or she come with us.”

“Huh?”

“Tony.” Gibbs stepped closer. “Your father has already seriously pissed me off, he’s pissed the hell out of you too " so " can you imagine what a pissed off Ziva is capable of doing to a man of his age?”

“Something unimaginable with electrodes and a certain area of his anatomy?”

“Uh-huh.” Gibbs nodded as Tony winced. “You ready?”

“I’m " “

“Anthony!” a deep basso voice rang out from the top of the steps and both men turned to meet their host. “And Special Agent Gibbs.”

As Michael DiNozzo held out a hand to the older man, his mouth twisted into some semblance of a smile as the gesture was ignored. Michael nodded as though to answer some unspoken question in his mind and he turned his attention to his son. “Hardly the attire for dinner,” he said pointedly, his gaze sweeping up and down Tony and then flicking quickly to Gibbs. “I did specifically state in my invitation to dress up a little.”

“Yeah,” Tony kept his voice level and fisted his hands at his sides. “We travelled light " what you see is what you get.”

“After five years, this is all I get?” Michael frowned. “Not so much as a hello Father?”

“You’re lucky I’m here at all,” Tony ground from between clenched teeth.

“I am, aren’t I?” Michael blinked at them both for a moment. “But, where are my manners. Come on in " I want you both to think of my home as your home.”

“I’d love to, but since you cut me out of your will when I was twelve " that was uncalled for don’t you think?” Tony glanced at Gibbs who merely shook his head ever so slightly and the younger man bit back a further retort and said nothing.

“Mr DiNozzo,” Gibbs took him by the elbow. “Standing out here’s all well and good " but " we’ve not really got time for idle chit chat " so if you could cut the charade " and the bull shit " you wanted to see us, so we’re here " we’re hungry " need I go on?”

“Just as I thought,” Michael replied as he was led inside. “Marine mentality " obnoxious to the point of rudeness.”

“I haven’t even started yet.” Gibbs shot back.

Tony watched them disappear through the front door and his stomach rolled heavily. “Oh fuck,” he hissed. “Not quite the start I wanted " and it’s going to get worse.”

TBC…
This story archived at http://www.ncisfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=2322