Jealous CounterPart by Soul Music
Summary: "Wait a second, just one to think...that didn't make any sense did it? Nope."
Categories: Gen Characters: Abby Sciuto, Anthony DiNozzo, Donald Mallard, Kate Todd, Leroy Jethro Gibbs, Original character, Timothy McGee
Genre: Case
Pairing: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 8 Completed: Yes Word count: 6088 Read: 28107 Published: 02/23/2008 Updated: 03/31/2008
Story Notes:
I (as much as I would like to) do not own the characters: names, ages, places of birth (except I do share one of the places of birht), the cars, the buildings, the location, the...you get the drill. Annnnnyway. I do not make this for profit, its all just fun and coming from my imagination (and the wonderful help of the one and only Quini!)

1. Jealous CounterPart by Soul Music

2. Trace Backwards by Soul Music

3. Partly Welcomed by Soul Music

4. Full Truths by Soul Music

5. Moving To Intercept by Soul Music

6. Cold Reception by Soul Music

7. Abrupt Finish by Soul Music

8. Lasting Ending by Soul Music

Jealous CounterPart by Soul Music
Author's Notes:
"Take a minute and really mean it. Think hard. Did you or did you not attempt to throw him off a cliff."
Simon Payne-Field sat on the edge of the boot of his car. It has half six in the morning and he'd just finished his morning run around the park. The sun was still hidden behind the pale grey clouds that threatened rain on the rest of the day. That didn't really matter, he worked in an office and didn't have much call to go outdoors.

Simon picked up the bottle of water from the trunk and closed it, heading towards the drivers seat of his old car. Old and battered and not particually well cared for. He couldn't afford a new one, but this one was good enough to get him to work and back each day, it coud also get the kids to school or to friends houses. A perfectly servicable car or a desk worker. He slid into the drivers seat and turned the key in the ignition. The car spluttered and died. He cursed and tried again, getting the same result. He looked around the car park, maybe someone could jump start the engine for him.

Simon spotted a car just across the parking lot and walked over. He didn't see anyone inside, but the engine was still running. He peered into the front seat, seeing the man looking out of the window. He tapped on the glass.
"Hey, could ya give me a hand?" He called through the glass, but not no answer. He straightened up and walked around to the side of the car. He jumped back as he saw the drivers ashen white face, his wide staring eyes. The amount of blood on his once smart uniform.
-------------------------------------------------


Special Agent Anthony DiNozzo drummed his fingers on the desk in front of him. Special Agent Caitlin Todd glanced up at her partner, raising her eyebrows.
"Don't you have some paper work to do?" She asked.
"No." Tony replied with a brief smile. Kate didn't return it. DiNozzo without any paperwork would be something that only happened in myths and fairytales.
"You can have some of mine." Special Agent Timothy McGee ventured from his own desk. He knew Tony wouldn't take it and he didn't blame him. Tim didn't actually mind doing much paper-work, it was just...paperwork. He'd done enough of it at Norfolk.
"It's character building for you, Probie." Tony replied, taking out his cell phone.

Special Agent Leroy Jethro Gibbs walked into the bullpen a few minutes later, a cup of coffee in his hand.
"Grab your gear. McGee, get the truck." McGee glanced at Tony, who looked cheerful. Well, more cheerful than usual. McGee caught the keys tossed at him and shouldered his pack.
"DiNozzo, pick up Agent Kyran, she's observing." Gibbs instructed Tony.

Kate glanced over at Tony as he picked up his own car keys, ready to pick up the young agent who'd only just started working at NCIS and was still observing when a case came up. She was an alright agent, green without a great deal of experience, but she was still willing to learn and didn't mind a bit of hard work. She hadn't quite grasped the 'Don't Interupt Gibbs In The Middle Of Speaking Yet.' but a few good head slaps was making it easier to understand.

Tony was just walking out to leave when Gibbs called.
"DiNozzo, have I told you where to go?" Tony froze.
"No, boss."
"Car park, Shanandoah state park."
"Yes, boss."
"You're still standing there, DiNozzo?"
"No, boss." Tony bolted through the open lift door and pressed down to get to his Mustang.
End Notes:
I (as much as I would like to) do not own the characters: names, ages, places of birth (except I do share one of the places of birht), the cars, the buildings, the location, the...you get the drill. Annnnnyway. I do not make this for profit, its all just fun and coming from my imagination (and the wonderful help of the one and only Quini!)
Trace Backwards by Soul Music
Author's Notes:
"I just don't get it? Why do it if you couldn't remember what he'd done?"
Tony's Mustang pulled up in the carpark to Shanandoah state park. There were also two police cars, an ambulence, the NCIS truck and the NCIS Medical Examiners truck. He'd been beaten by Palmer? How embarressing. Tony pushed open the drivers door just as Special Agent Madisyn Kyran did the same to the passenger seat door.

Tony lead the way over to where Gibbs was talking to a man wrapped up in blue medical blankets and obviously in shock. His dark hair was plastered back with sweat.

"-when he didn't respond I went round to the drivers side and say his eyes open and all the...all the blood." He stuttered, pulling the blankets around his shoulders. Gibbs finished noting things down on his notepad and nodded to the medics who started talking quietly to the man as Gibbs walked off, followed by Tony and Madisyn.

"Whats the story?" Madisyn asked, catching up with Gibbs as he made his way across the parking lot to where another car stood.
"Special Agent Kyran." Gibbs greeted as if she hadn't asked a question. Madisyn shrugged, guessing she'd pick up the story as time went on.

NCIS' medical examiner was crouched over the body of the young Petty Officer. The knife was still stuck securely in his stomach. Madisyn raised her eyebrows and bent in to take a closer look. Tony was given a camera by Kate who'd been given another job. Tony started shooting the scene and the body.

"Well he wasn't killed here." Madisyn muttered over Ducky's shoulder.
"You think, Kyran." Gibbs replied with a roll of his eyes, looking at the long trail of blood leading from the car, off onto a track and into the park. Kate had obviously been sent down there to look. Tony much prefered his job.

Madisyn decided not to stand around and watch Ducky stick a delightfully long spikey liver probe into the Petty Officer's stomach and followed Kate down the path. She caught up with her as she was looking at the snapped twigs and smears of blood.

"Looks like they were in a hurry." Kate glanced up at Madisyn.
"They weren't exactly very careful." She nodded in agreement, moving off down the path. The two agents scouted out the path before finding the end to the blood trail. There was what remained of a bonfire, what seemed to be a ripped piece of a tent, covered in blood and large pool of blood and bloody leaves.

Madisyn went to fetch a camera and returned with Tony and Gibbs. Tony took the shots while the ex-marine survayed the scene with a blank look. No-one could, and no-one tried, to read his body language or his facial features.

The team took samples of the blood from different points to make sure it was all the same and bagged and tagged the ripped sheet of tent. They drove back to head-quarters with the body in the mecial examiners truck; Tim, Kate and Gibbs in the truck; Tony and Madisyn in his well cared for Mustang, and the rest just left.
Partly Welcomed by Soul Music
Author's Notes:
"I guess its just a part of the subconscience that says 'I don't like them' like first impressions that never leave. Or something like that."
The body was laid out in Autopsy, cleaned up and ready for closer examination. Ducky's estimate had been that the Petty Officer was killed between 0100 and 0200 in the morning.

Gibbs walked into Autopsy just as Palmer was stitching up the body.
"Ah, Jethro." Ducky greeted his old friend.
"How'd be die, Duck?"
"Single stab wound to the side." The ME's face was slightly grim as he continued. "It would've been a slow death, the poor boy would have drifted in and out of conscienceness for several minutes before he died." Gibbs nodded, looking at the body of the Petty Officer Tony and Kate were IDing in the bullpen whilst Abby checked the blood samples and the fibres Ducky had found under the Officers broken fingernails. Tim had been checking the car with Abby, trying to figure out why the car's engine wasn't wired to anything.
---------------------------------------------
Back in the bullpen Tony shouted a triumphful "Ahah!" Kate looked up from her own desk as he grinned at her.
"Petty Officer Jared Conningsworth!" He announced. Kate looked up the name on her own computers database and saw the man resembling the youn Petty Officer in Autopsy.

"Honerably discharged in April," Kate read aloud. She returned the smile. They'd been looking for the young Officer who didn't have and dog tags on for ages. Gibbs walked in, a fresh cup of coffee in his hand. He was a magnet for any sort of coffee, it was scary.
"Petty Officer-"
"Jared Conningsworth." Gibbs complete sitting down at his desk. Tony and Kate shared an exaspirated look.
"Abby matched the finger prints an hour ago." Both agents their annoyance with difficulty as they started to report on what they could find in the Petty Officer's file.

"Petty Officer Jared Leyam Conningsworth, 27, Honerably discharged in April this year after pulling his wounded Captain to safety in Iraq." Kate brought up his file and picture on the plasma as Tony picked up the trail.
"Started working at his fathers shop in May, after returning from Iraq and according to the father, went to visit some old friends on Wednesday. He wasn't expected back until Tuesday, but when he didn't turn up, the family just thought he was staying for another night. He's done it before and so they didn't worry." Tony finished. Gibbs looked up, expecting more. Kate provided him with:
"We got the addresses of the two friends: Peter Oedds and Alexandrea McKain. They live in the same building across town."

A voice from across the room made them look up.
"Neither of them answered their home phone numbers, but for some reason the call to Alexandrea McKain was transfered to a neighbour who lives three doors down, she told me that McKain was out a work, but only works part time and would be back at 1430." The stares from the three agents made Madisyn shrug.
"What else was I supposed to do. Observing isn't exactly the most interesting past-time. Anyway, you looked like you needed some help." She crossed her legs where she sat in Tim's chair, swivelling it round to face Kate and Tony across the diagonal.

Gibbs had gone back to whatever was on his desk, and took the sedan keys out of his drawers and heading for the elevator.
"DiNozzo with me."
Tony quickly followed, Madisyn slipped into the elevator just as the doors were closing. She smiled at Tony who shook his head, she would either grow up to be a very good agent, or an incredibly annoying one. Or maybe both.
-----------------------------------------------------
Alexandrea McKain and Peter Oedds' building was similar to the appartment buildings all around the city. Tall and made of metal and stone. Numerous windows into different rooms and appartments. The lift was out of order, but luckily McKain's flat was only on the second floor. Oedds was further up on the fourth. The door number was seven and the silver plated number shifted slightly as Gibbs knocked on the door.

The door was opened by a tall girl, wearing heels and a long blue dress. Little early for a cocktail party, Madisyn thought.
"Alexandrea McKain?."
"Yes?"
"Special Agents Gibbs, Dinozzo and Kyran. NCIS" Gibbs introduced them, each Agent responding with a nod behind him.
"Navy feds? Come in." Alexandrea stepped back to let the agents in. Behind her, a well dressed man in a grey suit and tie looked over at the team as they entered.
"Who are they Alex?" He asked in a voice edging on harsh.
"NCIS, Pete." Peter Oedds Gibbs raised his eyebrows.
"Just a few questions for you." He remarked, addressing both McKain and Oedds.
"Make it quick, places to be." Oedds replied briskly, sitting down on the sofa.
"When was the last time you saw Jared Conningsworth?"
"Last month, the eleventh." Oedds replied swiftly, crossing his expensively clad legs with his shiney leather shoe resting on his knee. Gibbs glanced over at McKain.
"Yes, we went out for dinner when Jared was discharged. We were celebrating. He went home afterwards, his father took him home. What's this about?"

"Jared Conningsworth was found death in his car this morning." Tony answered the question. The three agents studied the reaction. Oedds uncrossed his legs and sat forward, resting his elbows on his knees whilst McKain had to put a hand on the mantlepiece of steady herself. Either both were good actors or they didn't know.
"He's dead." McKain muttered, her eyes brimming with tears, smudging her mascara. Oedds moved to her side, pulling her into a hug. She returned it, crying into his shoulder.

Tony looked over at Madisyn who returned the look. Gibbs just stood in front of them, waiting for things to quieten down. Once McKain had caught a hold of herself again, Oedds turned to Gibbs.
"When did he...die?" He murmered.
"Between one and two this morning."
"Both Alex and me were here." He replied with a briskness that was suprising. Gibbs nodded and Tony pocketed his PDA.
"We may have some more question later." Gibbs told them before turning and exiting, followed by Tony and Madisyn.

Outside the appartment, and on the way down te stairs Madisyn muttered to Tony:
"Oedds is lying, his eyes shifted when Gibbs asked him any of the questions." Tony shrugged, thinking it over.
"He also had an injury on his left ankle." She concluded, earning a confused look from Tony.
"You couldn't see his ankle."
"No, but he winced when he crossed it. Where were you looking?"
"Probably down the dress of McKain." Gibbs suprised them both at being able to hear them half a stair case in front. Madisyn rolled her eyes and caught up with Gibbs and Tony just as they both got into the slick sedan.
Full Truths by Soul Music
Author's Notes:
"As they say: 'Ask no questions and be told no lies.' and it was true."
Tony rolled his eyes as the elevator pinged open.
"Well I'm not saying its a bad film, its just...its a remake." Madisyn continued as she walked after Tony. Kate looked up from her desk to see Tony slump into his chair and glarred at Madisyn. She'd finished the first part of her rant. She gave Kate a smile, which she returned.
"Does she know more about films than you do?" Kate asked, sarcasm heavy in her voice. Tony gave her what could only be called, a look.
"I doubt it, but I do know a great deal of trivia." Madisyn smiled.
"I can tell you-"
"Who killed Petty Officer Conningsworth." Gibbs finished, walking to his desk with a cup of coffee. Kate stood up, theories running through her head.

"Conningsworth was stabbed at the campsite. The substance under his fingernails were fibres from a coat, most probably his murderers. He must've put up a fight from the broken fingernails and the bruises. He must've been conscious when he was brought to the car, but his attacker must've severed the engine from the car. To make sure he wasn't going to go anywhere."
"The fuel pipe to the engine was cut away, just destroyed. That car would never run again." Tony muttered from his desk. No-one was suprised by his extensive knowledge of cars.
"So, bleeding to death, his killers stopped him driving away. How far would he have gotten?" Madisyn mused, sitting on the edge of Tim's desk, he didn't object. "What, out of the parking lot before he passed out from loss of blood."
"So why stop his car from working?" Tim wondered aloud. "Why not just kill him?"
"Worry maybe, or superstition." Madisyn turned to Kate. "Do we know what religion McKain or Oedds is?" Kate flicked through and shook her head.
"But files don't usually say whether someone's superstious or not." Tony squashed one of her theories before sitting up. "But McKain's appartment did look like one that had some sort of orientation towards the occult." He thought outloud, talking about the candles and delicate symbols she had in paintings on the walls.

"Get McKain in for questioning." Gibbs said behind the group who had been talking, gathered around Tim's desk. They all jumped except Tim who had seen him coming.
"On it boss." Tony said, grabbing the keys to the sedan, quickly followed by Kate. Madisyn smiled at Tim and turned to sit in Kate's empty desk, crossing her legs. Gibbs had already left to go somewhere or other that neither young agent had chosen to ask.

"How long you been working here, Tim?" Madisyn asked. Tim looked up from his desk. He wasn't really used to being called by his first name.
"About six months, transfered from Norfolk."
"So you're a probationary agent?" She asked with interest.
"Has Tony never called me 'Probie' infront of you."
"Not that I can remember." She replied. "But then again, you're not the Probie so far as I'm here." She smiled, recieving one back from Tim.
"Why arn't you two working?" The shout came from above and who voices replied with a scrabble of paper: "Sorry, boss!"
------------------------------------------------------
Gibbs took the cell phone that was ringing from his pocket and looked at the caller ID. It was unknown. He stood up and walked out of MTAC to take the call.
"Special Agent Gibbs?" Came the whispered question over the line.
"Miss McKain?" Gibbs asked, leaning on the railings, over looking the bullpen.
"Specail Agent Gibbs, there's...there's something you need to know. I...please..." She faultered off.
"Miss McKain, stay on the phone. Where are you?" He was already making his way down the steps in a record pace.
"Hurry Agent Gibbs, I'm in my apartment and...Pete?" Gibbs grabbed his keys.
"Who are you talking to?" Came the voice on the other end, Oedds.
"Just an old friend, she called to say."
"Give me that!" There was a crackling on the line as Oedds grabbed the phone.
"C'mon Pete, I-"
"Feds! You were talking to the bloody feds!"
"Pete, it wasn't like that. No, Pete!" There was a scream on the end and Gibbs quickened his sprint, followed by Tim and Madisyn. The elevator clicked shut, forcing Madisyn and Tim to rush down the stairs. Then the phone line went dead. Gibbs swore.

"Kyran! Call Todd and DiNozzo. Get them round of McKain's fast, guns ready. McGee with me." Gibbs car screeched out as Kyran dialed Kate's mobile.
"Todd."
"McKain's in trouble, Oedds seems dangerous. Gibbs says hurry the pace."
"Okay, thanks Madisyn." Madisyn closed the connection and looked around the garage, wondering what to do.

The two sedans were parked one behind the other. Gibbs drew his weapon and ran into the building. The appartment was hectic. Tony had Oedds in hand cuffs, but there was no sign of McKain. Oedds had scratches down the side of his face but was refusing to talk. It was only in interrigation that Oedds said anything. He'd been in the cells for a few hours as the team finished up paperwork and gone home one by one.
"Agent Gibbs." He said softly. Gibbs looked up from the file on his table. "You'r agents do live a way from NCIS head quarters, do they not?" His voice as calm as Gibbs eyes.
"Have they ever needed you...fast?" He asked. Gibbs eyed him.
"Threatening my people is never a good idea." He snarled.
-------------------------------------------------------
Kate stretched, hanging up her coat on a peg. She yawned and flopped down on the sofa. She reached out a hand to where she usually kept the remote control for the television, but instead found she was sitting on it. She smiled slightly and switched on the TV. It was only later when she'd turned off and started getting ready to bed, she noticed the open curtains. Not an unusual thing. She closed them and seated herself on her bed, turning only when a soft creak echoed through the rooms...
-------------------------------------------------------
Tim rubbed his eyes and gave up on his type-writer. Writers block like no other. He sighed and stood up, his MIT t-shirt lying on his bed. He changed and ran himself a glass of water from the kitchen tap. The dim light in his apartment didn't really show much of what was in the corners and such. He decided to have one more go and sat back down at his desk, staring at the empty page in front of him. It was only then that something shifted in the shadows, catching Tim's hearing...
------------------------------------------------------
Tony collapsed onto his sofa, kicking off his shoes and throwing his jacket onto an arm of the chair. He turned on the television, pressing play on the DVD player. He didn't know what was in there, but it was enough to have him asleep on his sofa, his feet up on the coffee table. The kitchen clock clicked away the minutes and the bed sheets were left untouched. Tony shifted in his sleep, his foot falling off the table. He woke with a start, muttering. It was only then that the soft breathing was easily audible over the silence caused by the menu of the DVD...

Who's safe
Moving To Intercept by Soul Music
Author's Notes:
"Yawn...yawn...yeah right."
Gibbs walked into the bullpen, looking around. Only one desk lamp was on, and that was Tim’s desk. Madisyn flicked through a file, every now and then typing something into the computer.
“Kyran?” Madisyn looked up at the sound of her name. “Call DiNozzo, Kate and McGee.” He seated himself at his desk and picked up his own phone.
“Why?” Madisyn questioned, but she didn’t get an answer. She shrugged and picked up her own cell phone, picking out Tony’s number as it was at the beginning of her phone book.
“DiNozzo.” Came the weary reply after the second ring. Madisyn could hear Gibbs talking to Kate.
“Tony, anything weird happened today?”
“What, except the usual of McKain vanishing?” He asked with his usual sarcastic tone.
“I mean at home?”
“A cat got into my living room somehow.” He replied. “But nothing else, why?”
“Don’t know, Gibbs asked. I’ve got another call to make, see you tomorrow.”
“Yeah, okay. Bye Maddie.”

She looked up at Gibbs who had just got off the phone with Tim.
“What was that about?” She asked, crossing her legs.
“Got a tip off.” Gibbs replied before getting up and heading for the elevators.
“So much for answers.” Madisyn muttered before heading back to her case file.

About ten minutes later her cell phone rang. She looked at the caller ID and smiled.
“Hey, Kate.” She picked up.
“Hey, Madisyn. Gibbs woke me up and I doubt going back to sleeps gunna be an option tonight. Want to catch a drink?”
“Sure, got any ideas where?”
“I know a place down the street, come to mine I’ll show you.” Madisyn hung up and gathered her things, heading off towards her car.
Madisyn knocked on Kate’s door and it opened oddly quickly. Kate smiled and grabbed her coat from behind the door.
“Were you waiting for the door to open?” Madisyn asked as they walked down the quiet street.
“Well, I didn’t have much else to do. The power in my building’s gone.”
“I did notice that, but I didn’t think to mention it.” Madisyn replied with a grin, brushing her dark brown hair behind her shoulders. Kate nodded, a matching smile curving her own lips.

About three minutes after leaving Kate’s apartment building, a dark car pulled up. The two women didn’t pay much attention. A few cars had been passing as they walked down the street, chatting cheerfully. A figure stepped out of the driver’s seat before being followed down the road by three other dark figures. The driver buttoned up his smart suit and removed his shades.
“Excuse me, ladies.” His Australian accent cut clear through the night. Kate and Madisyn turned. The stranger smiled.
“I’m lost, could you direct me to the nearest police station.” Madisyn smiled slightly.
“Straight ahead, take two lefts and a right. It’s right ahead of you.”
“Thanks.” The Australian replied. Kate and Madisyn turned to go, to be faced with two large suited men. Kate’s hand moved to her gun, but the Australian rested his own .347 caliber shooter on her hand. Madisyn had her hands seized from behind and something whacked into the base of her neck. She went limp. Kate opened her mouth to scream, but a needle was pushed into her neck and tiredness suddenly swept over her. She tried to hold on, but the darkness became so warm and welcoming.
“Into the car.” The Australian muttered, helping one of the men take Madisyn whilst another picked up Kate. The car skidded away just as the only car to drive around the corner since the Australian drove up came around the corner.
End Notes:
Sorry it took so long. Tum ti tum...
Cold Reception by Soul Music
Author's Notes:
"You think they might put a radiator in a here, its freezing in here. Where are we again?"
"A fridge."
The three consecutive bleeps on the computers, made each of the agents look up. The wake up calls they'd recieved from Gibbs and Madisyn the previous evening had had the same effect on them all. That was why three out of the four agents were sitting at their desks at 0700 the next morning. None of them really suspected that Kate would be in for a while, she'd probably been able to get some sleep and meant that she'd recieve some dark looks when she wished them all a good morning. Or so they all thought.

The e-mail was odd. It simply read a load of gobbledigook with four words in capital letters: SPECIAL, AGENTS, ALEXANDREA and MCKAIN. It had taken a while before the elevator had opened and the angel of the moment had walked into the bull pen just as Tony had read aloud one of the lines of text.
"Romeo and Juliet." Ducky replied.
"Huh?" Tony asked, looking up.
"You have just read out a line from Juliet in Romeo and Juliet, Act four, scene three."
"Really?" Tony considered this. Just as Ducky was about to start off on a story he interupted. "What about these." He asked, reading out the other lines of text.
"Act 3, scene five, act one, scene five, act three, scene two, act two, scene 4, act four, scene three and act three scene four." Ducky considered each one before replying.
"They're co-ordinates." Tim muttered.
351532244334." Tony translated as Tim started typing into the co-ordinates.
"Thanks, Duck." Gibbs replied, strapping his weapon on and picking up the keys to the sedan. Tony followed suit.
"McGee, send the co-ordinates to the car, DiNozzo with me."
----------------------------------------------------------------
Kate reluctantly opened her eyes.
"Morning." A familiar English voice said with relief. "How you feeling?"
"As if I've just done three days straight with DiNozzo." She muttered, sitting up.
"That bad, eh?" Madisyn answered, looking around the pale room they were both in.
"Any idea where we are?" Kate asked, following Madisyn's eyes.
"Nope, no idea." Madisyn sighed. "But we've only been here for four hours maximum."
"How did you work that out?"
"Any longer and we'd still be in a car. And I woke up here. So we've only been here for four hours or so."
"Great." Kate brought her knees up to her chest. "Its freezing in here." She muttered, trying to keep warm.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
The co-ordinates, fed into a Global Positioning System, led the sedan to a small copse of trees about thirty miles away. The black car fishtailed around a corner before stopping and both front doors opened. Gibbs and Tony brought out their weapons, Gibbs signalling for them to surround the copse. It was probably the best place for an ambush, but Tony and Gibbs kept out of range of anyone who might be hiding around a tree.
"The signal's just to your left." Abby's voice came over the ear-piece. Gibbs had a clear space where a building blocked him from view of any shooters. He moved around to see a body lying face down on the grass. He edged nearer, gun drawn. He could see Tony doing the same over the other side of the building, covering him. Gibbs knelt down and checked the pulse in McKain's neck. It was non-existant. Her eyes were closed and there was a clean bullet hole through the back of her skull.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
The small copse of trees was soon surrounded by the local LEOs and the NCIS ME's van.
"Can I touch, Duck?" Gibbs asked, kneeling down beside Ducky.
"Of course, Jethro. There's isn't much I can do here." Tim walked up just as Ducky stood and walked back to the truck. He moved around Gibbs to get a better view of the body for the pictures.
"McGee, where is Kate?" Gibbs asked without looking up.
"Um...I don't...know. She didn't pick up her cell." Tim stuttered. Tony walked over at that point.
"No-one seems to have heard or seen anything, boss." He replied, kneeling down. Gibbs nodded.

Searching through McKain's pockets, Gibbs found a carelessly folded piece of paper. He handed it to Tony who was holding an evidence bag. Tony looked at the paper.
"Looks like a pay-check."
"You think, DiNozzo." Tony ignored the sarcasm.
"From Mario's Italian." Tony finished.
"Find it and send the GPS co-ordinates, McGee. C'mon, DiNozzo." For the second time that day, Tony and Gibbs left Tim to find somewhere whilst they took the sedan to find an Italian cafe.
Abrupt Finish by Soul Music
Author's Notes:
"On three, okay? Now wait! Is that three counting down from six or counting up from one?"
Mario's Cafe was positioned about twenty miles from where McKain was found with the back of her head missing. Gibbs sat behind the steering wheel, Tony beside him talking to Tim over the phone.
"I'm putting you on speakerphone." Tony replied to something Tim had said before clicking the speaker button.
"Mario's is actually owned by an Australian called Jack Gryfford. There's nothing about him, no criminal record, not even a parking ticket. Mario's been there for six months, but has nothing to suspect that there's anything going on. No connection between Gryfford and McKain that I can find."
"Find it." Gibbs all but growled.
"Yes, boss. Sending the directions to the car feed." Gibbs hung up Tony's phone for him and made a hairpin turn to get back on the right track which they had just driven passed. Tony swallowed and gripped the door handle for all his life.
-------------------------------------------------------------
Kate shifted into a marginally more comfortable position, trying to pull her coat over her shoulders more. They'd both tried to find a way out, searching around the cracks in the floor and walls. All of the walls seemed to be solid metal, but the room was completely empty, except for them.
"Kate?" Madisyn said after another endless silence. Kate looked up.
"I think we're in a fridge." Kate frowned, but had to take it as a good idea. It was damned freezing in the room. Madisyn walked back over to what she thought was a door and ran her fingers along where it joined the next wall. Kate suppressed a shiver as she joined Madisyn by the "door".

It was just then that a loud scraping cause them both to turn. What was actually the door swung back to reveal three well dressed men, two of which were both carrying guns. The middle man, the one without a gun, was easily recognizable as the Australian from last night, or early this morning. He gave them both a smile, crossing his arms across his expensive waist-coat.
"So, ladies, enjoy the night?"
"I'd prefer it if we had some champagne." Madisyn replied with a returned smile.
"A joker, how delightful." Sneered the Australian. He sighed and looked around the small room. "I know its not very hospitable, but you will out live your use before we can upgrade you. So here is your purpose. How do you know Peter Oedds and why are you investigating him?" His voice changing to an icy chill. Both women stayed quiet, watching him intently.
"Strong and silent, alright. I'll give you a while to figure out what you're going to say. When I come back, on the count of three, you start talking, okay?" He turned to leave. Madisyn saw Kate's eyes access the exterior of the freezer.

"One thing actually. Would that be on three counting down from some number, or counting up from some number. And would you be counting in ones or in decimal places?" Madisyn randomly asked, first thing that came into her head, giving Kate just a little more time to think and consider. Gryfford rolled his eyes and turned away, the two heavies pushing the door closed with a snap and a flick of a lock being pushed up.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
The sedan stopped in the parking lot of the cafe. Tony and Gibbs got out of each side of the car, walking up to the door and trying the handle. Locked. There was a push bell on the side of the door. Best be polite. Gibbs pressed the button and heard the bell buzz somewhere within the building. Nothing happened. Gibbs signaled for Tony to check around the edge whilst he tried the bell again, looking through the windows.

Tony had only been about four steps before his keen eyesight noticed something lying half concealed on the floor. He moved it with his foot and turned to tell Gibbs, he'd want to know.

"Boss?" Tony hissed, Gibbs looked around, moving over to where Tony was.
"I found this." Tony indicated with his foot, Gibbs looked down at Kate's NCIS ID wallet complete with its badge and photograph. Gibbs drew his weapon at the same time Tony did.
"I found a door round the side." Tony muttered, moving towards it, Gibbs moving to cover him.

The door was a workman's entrance. From inside soft voices could be heard, seeing as the door was slightly ajar. Gibbs nodded and turned the handle, pushing the door open.
"NCIS, down on the floor and drop the weapons!" One weapon hit the door but the other was discharged towards the two agents standing on either side of the doorway. Shots ricocheted and bounced off work tops. But they soon ceased. Tony and Gibbs lowered their weapons, watching the scene before them. Tony moved and kicked the two guns out of reach. The two heavies were unconscious or dead, hard to tell which, but the last man had only taken a bullet to the calf. He sat against the wall; hanging on to the scratch wound of a ricocheting bullet.
“Where is my agent?” but Gryfford just laughed. Gibbs voice was soft a deadly as he asked once again.
“Agent?” Gryfford chuckled. “You only care about one of them?” He snickered, leaning back against the wall. Tony looked up.
“Kyran wasn’t in this morning either.” He added.
“Where are they?” Gibbs snarled, taking Gryfford’s expensive lapels in hand.
“They’re cooling off after our little encounter.” He replied cryptically, but it didn’t take long for Gibbs to figure it out.
“Tony, the freezers.”
“On it, boss.” Tony replied, stepping away from the two dead heaviest and exiting the kitchen.

Gibbs left Gryfford to find his own cell phone and call an ambulance, following Tony to where he was heaving on the solid flip lock of the freezer. With a final tug the lock folded up with a scraping of metal on metal. The door swung back with the speed of a glacier. Inside the stark white room, only one pair of eyes was raised to meet theirs. Kate smiled weakly as the door opened to revealed anyone but Gryfford. Madisyn had her head leaning on her shoulder, eyes closed, the chill kicking in.

Kate managed to stand with Gibbs’ help and Madisyn was easily carried out of the freezer.
“Madisyn?” Tony laid her down on one of the café’s sofas. She groaned reluctantly and opened an eye.
“Tony.” She mumbled, trying to blink him into focus. “I never, ever want to see another freezer again.” She continued, pushing herself to sit up.
“Oh, and there was me thinking I might invite everyone out for ice-cream.”
End Notes:
Just to make absolutely sure, I have nothing against Australians, I just picked the nationality out of a hat...well randomly off the internet whilst typing in nationality into google, but that is of no consiquence. I have nothing against Australians, they are amazing people!
Lasting Ending by Soul Music
Author's Notes:
"Well that was all a bundle o' laughs wasn't it?"
The bullpen was its usual cheerful buzz of work, although it was thinning out slightly. The clocks on desks and computers ticked away until five-thirty where the majority took their time and left. The team hadn't really thought about leaving yet, they sat around in Autopsy chatting whilst Ducky checked over Kate and Madisyn.
"Well it was a freezer, McGee, use your imagination." Tony replied to a question posed by Tim.
"Be nice, Anthony." Madisyn joined in, putting her jacket back on to keep in the heat.
"I'm always nice." Tony replied, looking around at Madisyn.

The doors opened with a swish and Gibbs entered carrying, to no-ones suprise, a cup of coffee.
"Oedds say anything?" Kate asked, getting off the autopsy table. It was a wierd feeling being examined on the same table where dozens of the dearly deceased had also been "examined". Gibbs didn't answer the question, but asked one of his own.
"Found the connection between Gryfford and Oedds?" Tim brightened up, he'd been waiting to report.
"They worked together in Canada at a hotel called Hotel Jade Stone. However, they were both fired along with seventeen other members of staff because of an illegal gambling and poker ring found within the staff."
"According to the receptionist, who knew both Oedds and Gryfford, Oedds owed Gryfford a lot of money, but she didn't know how much."
"And McKain?" Kate asked.
"Just Oedds girlfriend as far as we can find, but Gryfford has admitted to killing her to get to Oedds."
"The lengths people will go to." Madisyn muttered

The bullpen was almost silent as the team moved around to their desks.
"Reports on Monday." Gibbs ordered, moving towards the stairs and MTAC, the 'yes, boss's following him up the stairs.
"Now if you excuse me, I'm going on a date." Madisyn picked up her long green coat and walked to the elevator.
"Is it the Welsh man from downstairs?" Kate called after her.
"That's the one!"
"Enjoy yourself."
"Will do."
Tony watched the elevator doors close.
"There's a Welshman downstairs?"
"Yes, called Eien, or Ewan or something." Kate replied, not looking up.
"Looks like you over looked him when you were checking up on the competition." Tim replied, earning a glare from Tony and a soft laugh from Kate.
"Very funny." Tony muttered.
"I thought so."
This story archived at http://www.ncisfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=2399