The 3rd Gibbs by katetodd4eva
Summary: Kibbs+1=3
Categories: Gibbs/Kate Characters: Abby Sciuto, Anthony DiNozzo, Ari Haswari, Kate Todd, Leroy Jethro Gibbs
Genre: Drama, Angst, Established relationship
Pairing: Gibbs/Kate
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 2905 Read: 3123 Published: 10/31/2008 Updated: 10/31/2008

1. The 3rd Gibbs by katetodd4eva

The 3rd Gibbs by katetodd4eva
Author's Notes:
Kibbs+1=3
NOTE: Forget all you know about the NCIS team.

Its just a normal day at the office. They are all silently working until Ducky comes up to say hello as he to is bored down in autopsy.
“ How is everything up here?” he asked cheerfully.
“ Slow” Gibbs answered.
“ Ah, same as me I see” he laughed. None of them had nothing else to say. It really was a slow day.
“ Ah hell lets go home” Gibbs said as he sits back in his chair and rubs his eyes.
“ But Jethro its only 4” Kate says looking at her watch.
“ And” he says looking at her with a cheeky grin.
“ Ok lets go” she said getting her stuff ready. They both walked out of the bullpen, arms around each other.
Ducky and Tony watched them leave.
“ Hey Duck, how long have they been together?” Tony asks as he has only been here 2 years and Kate was already here.
“ Uh well they have been together 13 married for 10” he replied.
“ Wow. 13 years with Gibbs. And I thought 2 was tough”
Ducky laughed at him.
“ Go home Tony” he said then headed for the elevator.
Gibbs Residence
“ Oh Jethro…Yes there…Oh that’s it” Kate moaned.
“ Ewww! Mum, Dad I’m home” a little girl yelled as she opened the door to their bedroom and walked in with her hand over her eyes.
“ Sophie open your eyes” Gibbs said.
“ No”
“ Soph seriously” Kate laughed. She slowly took her hand away from her eyes and looked at her parents. They were sitting on the bed full clothed.
“ What were you guys doing?” she asked moving to the bed to join them.
“ I was giving your mother a massage if you must know” he said kissing her on the head.
“ Oh. Can I have one?”
“ As long as you do your homework” Kate said getting off the bed.
“ Oh Muuuuum do I have to?”
“ Yes you have to, just like I have to go start diner” she said with a smile and walked out.
“ Daaad”
“ You heard her. One massage then homework” he said.
“ Fine” she agreed and got comfortable in front of Gibbs.
“ Sophie. Diner” Kate called as she put plates on the table. Sophie bounded down the stairs and sat down at the table. They ate in silence until Sophie broke it.
“ Mum can I walk to school tomorrow?” she asked with a smile.
“ Soph I don’t know” she started. She looked at Gibbs for help.
“ I don’t think that’s a good idea” he said looking at her.
“ Oh but dad, April gets to and I’m 2 months older then her” Sophie argued.
“ Honey she lives closer to the school then we do” Kate told her.
“ Muuum” she pleaded. Gibbs stared at Kate.
“ Fine. As long as you walk with April the whole way” Gibbs said. Kate looked at him in surprise.
“ Jethro” she exclaimed.
“ Don’t worry its only this once” he said.
“ Thankyou Daddy” she said cheerfully.
“ Stay with April and don’t wander off by yourself” Kate told her as she hopped out of the car out the front of April’s house.
“ I wont don’t worry. Love you” she said slamming the door behind her. They both waved her good by and headed for work.
“ I just hope she’ll be alright” Kate said looking out the window.
“ She will be. Don’t worry so much” he reassured her. She gave him a soft smile and he grabbed her hand and rubbed it.
NCIS HQ
Tony sits alone in the bullpen as Gibbs is in MTAC and Kate has gone to the bathroom. He is very curious about his colleague and boss’s relationship. In fact he feels the sudden urge to snoop through Kate’s desk to find out a little more about them. He makes sure the ghost is clear and makes his way ever so slightly to Kate’s desk. Ashe reached her desk her desk phone started to ring. He was about to pick it up.
“ Don’t even think about it DiNozzo” she called as she raced into the bullpen.
“ Hello” she answered and Tony went back to his desk. Gibbs was finished in MTAC and was making his way down the stairs.
“ Hello this is Constable Lea Fimble. Is this Kate Todd of NCIS?” the lady asked.
“ Yes it is” Kate said.
“ Your daughter has been involved in an accident” Constable Fimble said.
“ What sort of accident?”. Gibbs entered the bullpen and stopped in front of Kate’s desk as he heard her words. He looked at her in question. Her eyes told him it was not good.
“ She was hit by a car and has been rushed to hospital” the Constable informed her. Kate’s body froze. Her face went white and her legs turned to jelly. She could feel her body falling. Gibbs rushed around her desk to catch her. Tony rushed over to help.
“ Kate what happened?” Gibbs asked but she didn’t reply. He looked at the phone in her hand. He grabbed it from her.
“ Hello?” Gibbs says not sure who is on the other line.
“ Hello. Mrs Todd?” she asked confused.
“ No Special Agent Gibbs. Who’s this?”
“ Constable Lea Fimble. Gibbs. Your daughter is Sophie?”
“ Yes. Why? What’s happened?” he asked getting frustrated.
“ She has been involved in an accident and has been taken to hospital. I advise you and you wife go to the hospital as soon as you can” she said sincerely.
“ Right. Thankyou” Gibbs said and hung up the phone. Kate had now realised what she had been told and had already started to gather her things. Gibbs rushed to his desk grabbed his coat and grabbed Kate and they both left.
Tony stood there as he had no idea what was going on. He decided to go visit Ducky.
Hospital
Kate and Gibbs rushed into emergency.
“ I’m looking for Sophie Gibbs. She was hit by a car” Kate almost yelled at the nurse.
“ Right this way” the nurse gestured as she got up and took them to her bed. she drew back the curtains and let them in. What they saw was their little girl lying lifeless on the bed with machines hooked up to her.
“ Oh my baby” Kate exclaimed as she rushed to her side and started to cry. She ran her hand softly over her forehead. Gibbs stood next to her looking at his precious little girl.
“ Is she” Kate started.
“ No. her injuries are sever and as soon as theatre is ready we will take her up” the doctor informed her. Gibbs grabbed her little hand and took a deep breath. He knew he shouldn’t of let her walk to school.
“ They are ready now” the doctor announced. Kate leaned down and kissed her gently on the forehead and she watched her little girl get wheeled off.
“ What are we going to do” she cried and Gibbs couldn’t answer her. He pulled her into him and she cried. They were taken to the quiet room and a doctor came and explained her condition to them.
“ She has swelling of the brain which we expect should go down in the next few hours, a broken right arm, fractured right and femur, 3 broken ribs, punctured lung and scratches and burses to face and other parts of the body” he said softly.
“ And the driver?” Gibbs asked in a harsh tone.
“ A deep cut to the head, fractured ribs and whiplash but other then that he is fine”
“ Was he drunk?” Gibbs asked again. Kate knew what his intentions were and frankly she didn’t blame him.
“ Uh we believe so” he answered looking at his chart. Gibbs got up and ran his hands through his head. He started pacing the room.
“ Has he been charged?”
“ Not yet. The police will be coming in to talk to him”
“ Talk to him! They don’t need to talk to him. For Christ sake he almost killed a 10 year old girl” Gibbs roared.
“ Jethro calm down” she said softly as she lightly touched his hand.
“ No I will not clam down that bastard could have killed her and what are they doing, stitching him up and talking to him” he said. He looked down at her sad and tear streaked face. He then stormed out of the room.
“ Sorry about him. He gets out of hand sometimes” Kate said.
“ Don’t apologise. People deal with this kin of news differently. I can assure you that the police will not let him walk” the doctor said. Kate gave him a light smile.
“ Can I ask about the other little girl that was with Sophie?”
“ Um I believe she was the one that saw the car coming and tried to get Sophie out of the way but didn’t in time, according to the witnesses. She got treated at the scene. She had minor cuts to her arms and head” he told her. Kate started to tear up again.
“ Look I know how hard this may be for you but we have the best surgeons and they will do everything they can to help your daughter” he said as seriously as he could. Kate gave a little giggle.
“ You know I have always been the one saying I know how hard it is and that we will do everything we can to catch whoever did this, but I would of never thought I would have someone to say it me”
“ Go find your husband. You will need each other to get through this”. Kate nodded and took a breath and got up and left. She looked around the rest of emergency to see if he was still here but no sign of him. She walked out side and looked around. She saw him sitting on a bench over near the trees . she walked over and sat down next to him.
“ Are you alright?” she asked looking at him.
“ Yep” he said not looking at her. She didn’t say anything just kept looking at him. He could feel her stare on him. He finally looked at her.
“ No” he said softly. She smiled softly.
“ Me either” she said and he wrapped his arm around her and she cuddled in close to him.
NCIS HQ
“ Ok so let me get this straight. They have been married for 10 years” Tony said.
“ Yes”
“ And they have a 10 year old daughter named Sophie”
“ Yes. She turned 10 last month. Fairy party it was” Ducky told him as he remembered it.
“ So why wasn’t I invited?” Tony asked jokingly. Ducky just laughed at him.
When Kate and Gibbs left in such a hurry Tony waddled down to autopsy to get some more information on Kate and Gibbs.
“ Should we try then again?” Tony asked.
“ I guess so” Ducky said making his way to his phone. He dialled Gibbs’ mobile first.
“ Gibbs” he answered softly.
“ Jethro where have you been?. Tony and I have been trying to contact you and Caitlin for an hour” Ducky said.
“ Uh we are at the hospital Duck”
“ Why? What’s happened?” he asks anxiously. Gibbs takes a breath.
“ Sophie was hit by a car on the way to school”
“ Oh Jethro. Is she going to be alright? How’s Kate?”
“ She’s in surgery at the moment. She’s taking it hard. We both are”
“ Do you want me to do anything?. Bring you anything?”
“ Just tell Abby what’s happened and inform DiNozzo if you must” he said.
“ Ok. If you need anything Jethro”
“ I know Duck” he said then hung up.
“ So what’s happened?” Tony asked.
“ Sophie was hit by a car on her way to school” Ducky said sadly. It took Tony a minute to put together who Sophie is.
“ Oh my god. Is she going to be ok?”
“ I hope so” Ducky said as he made his way to the elevator.
“ Where are you going?” Tony asks him.
“ To tell Abby what has happened”.
Ducky arrived at Abby’s lab met by ragging music.
“ Abby turn that off” Ducky said.
“ Geeze Duck you sound like Gibbs” she said with a smile as she got up and turned it off.
“ So what’s up?”
“ Abby sit down” Ducky said.
“ That doesn’t sound good” she said sitting down on her chair.
“ It’s not. I just got hold of Jethro and he is at the hospital with Kate”
“ Is she ok” she asked quickly.
“ She will be, but she’s not the reason they are there. They are there because Sophie was hit by a car on the way to school”. Abby gasped.
“ No, not Soph. Is she ok? Do they need anything? Can we go see them?” she asked getting stressed.
“ Oh Abby” he said as he hugged her.
“ I’m sure everything will be alright”
“ Oh Ducky. What are we going to do?” she asked as tears stung her eyes.
“ Pray” he simply said.
Hospital
Kate and Gibbs sit on the bench holding each other.
“ Do you think they told Abby” Kate asked softly.
“ Its Ducky. Of course he told her” he said kissing her head. Kate had just closed her eyes when the doctor came and found them.
“ I just wanted to tell you that Sophie’s surgery went really well and that she is recovering in the children’s ward if you want to go and see her. She may still be asleep for a while but we expect her wake in the next 24-48 hours” he said with a smile.
“ Thankyou so much” Kate said getting up and shaking his hand.
“ Thankyou” Gibbs said as he to shook the doctors hand. Gibbs put his arm around Kate as they took off back into the hospital and up to the children’s ward. They were shown to her room where a nurse was taking her OBS. The nurse smiled and left them to be alone. Kate walked up to her bed and leant down and kissed Sophie on the head. Gibbs walked over and stood behind her and put his hand on her shoulder.
“ It’s ok baby. Mummy and Daddy are here” Kate whispered in her ear. Kate and Gibbs stayed by her side all night. Gibbs sat in the car and had Kate on top of him asleep.
48 hrs later
Kate is again hanging over Sophie’s bed just waiting for her to wake up. She has improved a lot the doctor told them. she no longer needs the machine to breath for her. Gibbs is out getting coffee when she heard a familiar voice come up behind her.
“ How is she doing?” he asked. She turned around to see Ducky in the doorway holding a small teddy bear. She smiled at him.
“ Better then before” she said walking over to him and gave him a hug.
“ They said she should wake up sometime today” she told him as they walked back to her bed.
“ Where’s Jethro?”
“ He went to get coffee. I stayed in case she woke up. I want her to wake up to a familiar face” she said as she ran her hand over Sophie’s cheek.
“ She is still as beautiful as ever. Abby has not stopped asking questions” Ducky said with a smile as he looked down at Sophie.
“ I bet. Where is she?”
“ She wants to wait until she is awake. She said it will hurt to much seeing her like this”
“ I don’t blame her” Kate said softly. She held her little hand and waited. The room was silent. Kate’s head snapped up to Sophie’s face as she felt her hand start to lightly squeeze hers.
“ Sophie” Kate said softly and kissed her forehead. There came a low mumble from her.
“ Ducky she’s waking up” Kate exclaimed. Ducky rushed to the other side of Sophie’s bed and looked at her stats. He then went and got the doctor.
Gibbs came down the corridor carrying his coffee when he saw Ducky come out of Sophie’s room and grab the doctor. They both ran back into her room and he thought something must be wrong. He dropped his coffee and ran into the room.
“ What’s going on?” he asked barging in and looking around the room.
“ Jethro she’s waking up” Kate told him. His heart stopped racing and he walked quickly over to stand beside Kate. He looked down at his little girl and saw her eyes trying to open but having trouble as it is bright.
“ Marmmmm” she mumbled.
“ Yes baby I’m here. Daddy as well” Kate said as tears of happiness feel down her face.
“ Darddd” she mumbled. Gibbs grabbed her hand with Kate’s.
“ Soph” he said as a smile finally grew upon h is face.
“ Try not to get her to talk to much. She needs to recover” the doctor told them before leaving them alone. Kate looked up at Ducky then at Gibbs. They both could not believe their luck.
“ Oh Jethro. She’s back” Kate cried as she threw her arms around his neck.
“ Its going to ok Kate” he said softly then kissed her.
“ Hey Soph guys what Uncle Ducky brought you” Ducky said softly as he placed the teddy bear under her good arm. She gave a little smile.
“ Duckiii” she said softly. Ducky smiled to himself and kissed her forehead.
“ I guess we should call Abby” Ducky said as he looked at Kate and Gibbs who could take their eyes off their daughter. He smiled as he was glad that they were still a family. His family.
This story archived at http://www.ncisfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=2734