Two Men and a Baby by ghosts_joey
Summary: In a world where some men can carry babies, a one night stand is about to turn Gibbs and DiNozzo into a family.
Categories: Gibbs/DiNozzo Characters: None
Genre: Alternate Universe, Angst, Character study, Drama, First Time, Humor, Hurt/Comfort
Pairing: Gibbs/DiNozzo
Warnings: Mpreg
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 8 Completed: No Word count: 33944 Read: 45915 Published: 05/28/2009 Updated: 07/07/2009
Story Notes:
This is an RP fic by Ghost's Writer and JoeyBug.

1. Two Men and a Baby by ghosts_joey

2. Chapter 2 by ghosts_joey

3. Chapter 3 by ghosts_joey

4. Chapter 4 by ghosts_joey

5. Chapter 5 by ghosts_joey

6. Chapter 6 by ghosts_joey

7. Chapter 7 by ghosts_joey

8. Chapter 8 Epilogue by ghosts_joey

Two Men and a Baby by ghosts_joey
Author's Notes:
In a world where some men can carry babies, a one night stand is about to turn Gibbs and DiNozzo into a family.
Gibbs sat at the bar for about twenty minutes. He had loosened his tie, but was still in the same suit he’d had on at the funeral. He was more than glad that they didn't ask him to say something. Usually, he would have gone home and drunk bourbon in his basement but the place only reminded him of everything he had lost in his life. It reminded him of his wife and daughter, of every freaking ex-wife, of Jen, hell it even reminded him of Kate because Ari had died in there. He sighed deeply as he took another sip from the bourbon.

Tony sauntered in through the door, spotted Gibbs and went to take a seat next to him. He was still in the suit that he'd worn to Jenny's funeral and he felt out of place as pretty much everyone else in the bar was in casual clothes, except for Gibbs. "Pretty shitty day, huh boss?" Tony said

Gibbs only grunted his agreement to Tony's statement. He stared ahead, trying not to notice how well the black suit fit Tony, just like he had tried all day, but it didn't exactly help him, because behind the bar was a mirror. He could see the pain of the last days on Tony's face. "Are you alright?" He finally asked.

"I've had better days, boss," Tony replied. "I feel like this is my fault, Ziva thinks I'm crying over spilt milk, but it's definitely not milk that I spilt." Tony ordered a drink and was served quickly, he sipped at the whiskey, feeling the burn as it went down his throat. He intended to get plastered tonight; anything had to be better than the way he felt now. Looking at Gibbs' face, he felt the guilt raise its ugly head again, Gibbs had been close to Jenny, they'd worked together as partners some time ago and he always felt as if there was more to it than Gibbs told him. "Worse thing is, I feel like I let you down, boss," Tony admitted, taking a large gulp of his whiskey.

Gibbs finally worked it up to look at Tony. "You didn't let me down, Tony. And it wasn't your fault. She gave you the day off and it was the right decision to leave her be." He took another sip. "I understand that you feel that way, but it was her decision to go there without you or Ziva as back-up. She was trying to protect you. If anything, it was my fault."

"It had nothing to do with you, boss. For God's sake you weren't even in the same state as her. But you're right, I was given an order and I followed it to the letter. I should have known, you've taught me to anticipate and I should have known," Tony rambled, he finished his whiskey and ordered another quickly before giving Gibbs a quick glance, his boss was looking particularly good tonight even though they'd just come from a funeral. The suit showed off his best features, and he'd even say Gibbs looked attractive. He pushed those thoughts to that back of his mind and concentrated on his drink, which he again downed quickly, he ordered a third when Gibbs looked at him with his eyebrow raised.

"What?" Tony asked.

"You seem to be in a hurry." Gibbs noted. "Anyway, she met with those guys to protect me...and she wanted to tell me something she never had the chance to." Gibbs tried to conceal the enormous guilt. Maybe her death wasn't his fault, but she didn't need to die with a secret.

"I'm planning to get drunk; you have a problem with that? I've had a shitty time the past few days," Tony snapped, then relented, "sorry, boss, I didn't mean to snap. I'm just still wound up from it all. Why did she meet them to protect you?" Tony asked, hoping this would be a chance for Gibbs to finally open up about his past with Jenny.

Gibbs took his time, taking a sip. "At the funeral she was attending, someone use the codename we used if our op in Paris was compromised. Back then, she hadn't killed who she was supposed to kill. I had to finish that job for her. She tried to do it now, but you know the effect of that..." He chose to ignore Tony's snapping. "I don't have a problem with you getting drunk, as long as you don't drive...Actually, I was planning to do the same." He knocked back his bourbon and was served another without ordering. It wasn't the first time he was there.

"Naa, I won't drive, I'll get a cab or something and pick my car up in the morning," Tony replied, raising his hand to signal to the barmaid that he wanted another one. She brought it over without saying anything and Tony started making his way through that one as quickly as he had the others. Before long, he was on his sixth whiskey and was more than a little tipsy, the more he drank, the better Gibbs looked.

Gibbs had lost count on the bourbon. Actually it didn't really matter. He had planned to get drunk and that was what he was doing. However, the more he drunk, the more difficult it became not to give in to his desires, that he has hidden for so long.

Tony was now beginning to feel very drunk, and he'd lost count of how many whiskey's he thrown back, but the guilt monster was quieting so it was almost enough. He wasn't so drunk that he'd lost control of his faculties, but he was drunk enough for his emotional barriers to be lowered, he found himself opening up to Gibbs about things that had bothered him for a while, like his assignment with Jeanne.

"You, Jenny basically ordered me to sleep with her? I went to her for advice because I was falling in love with the woman I was supposed to undercover for and I thought it would be wrong to just sleep with her for the job, but no, Jenny basically told me that I had to do it, if I really did like her, which I did...I hated myself for doing that, you know, boss? Hated it, but I couldn't disobey a direct order and that's what it felt like it was, what do you think, boss?" Tony slurred, knocking back another shot of whiskey and enjoying the general buzz that alcohol brought when drunk in excess.

"And that's what you didn't follow your gut in LA." Gibbs answered equally slurring. "You were thinking that if she wanna run off, she should. And you had every right to be pissed at her. Hell, I was pissed at her." He put his hand on the back of Tony's neck, squeezing gently.

Tony warmed to Gibbs' touch, it felt nice to be touched by someone who wasn't just an assignment, and lord knows it'd been a while since he'd been with anyone the way he was with Jeanne. He'd actually fallen in love with her, what an idiot! She, of course, had hated him when the truth came out and then there was the fact that she accused him of murdering her father.

"You think it was Jenny who killed La Grenuille? God, boss, keep doing that, that feels good," Tony mumbled, leaning in to Gibbs' touch and he felt his boss massage the back of his neck, loosening the knots of tension that he felt there. Tony went to lift his glass and realised it was empty, but had no desire to get another one, maybe it was time he went home, but if Gibbs kept touching him like that, he wouldn't be going home alone, that's for sure.

Gibbs got up from the chair, never taking his hand off Tony, and stepped closer, until he could whisper in his ear. "What do you think?" He asked instead of an answer, and really, he had to be really drunk, because he actually leaned forward, brushing his lips over Tony's ear. "One, or two cabs?" He asked the innocent question because it would answer all questions he had anyway.

"One would be best, I think," Tony replied, his voice thick with desire. Man, he was wasted, which had been the object of going out tonight, but now he was thinking about going home with his boss for, well, there was no other word for it, angry, drunken sex, at least he assumed that was what Gibbs' meant when he asked about the cabs. Was he really doing this? He thought to himself and then gave Gibbs a quick, once over glance, yeah, he was. He needed comforting and Gibbs seemed like the right man for the job.

Gibbs quickly threw a bill at the barmaid, he didn't even really know what it was but she didn't object that it was too less, so he pushed Tony towards the door. "Let's go." He growled. He didn't really think about anything except the fact that he was finally going to have Tony in his bed.

Tony wobbled as he got off the bar stool and followed Gibbs out of the bar, watching his boss closely as he hailed a cab and shoved him into the back before climbing in next to him. "Never known you to be in such a rush to get home, boss," Tony slurred, hiccupping slightly. "What's the rush?"

Once inside the cab Gibbs crowded Tony into the side wall, nipping on the delicious jaw. "You."

Tony was floored with Gibbs reaction, his boss fancied him? This couldn't be happening, could it? He knew that he'd looked at his boss as someone he wouldn't mind getting dirty with, but he'd never thought it would actually happen. He did the only thing he could think of, and pulled Gibbs' face up to meet his and leaned in and kissed him, his tongue brushing his boss' lips before the mouth opened and let him in. As he was kissing him, a thought went through his head, 'I wonder what the cabbie thinks of this?' and then all other thoughts left his mind as he realised they reached Gibbs' house and both were still joined at the lips. The cabbie tapped the plastic divider between them and cleared his throat, Tony broke the kiss and grabbed some bills and passed them over, "Keep the change," he said before climbing out of the cab, led by a very determined Gibbs. If that was how his boss acted in public, how the hell would he act once they were behind closed doors?


Gibbs woke with a groan when the sun hit his face. He put an arm over his eyes, trying to put together the pieces of last night. He'd been to the funeral, and then he'd been drinking, with Tony...and he left - with Tony. He shifted a little, felt a familiar soreness and his eyes snapped open. "Oh God..." he muttered and found the other man asleep next to him. Asleep and naked. "Damn..."

It took some time for Tony to work out where he was when he first opened his eyes, his head hurt and the bright sunlight wasn't helping, he remembered the funeral and then going for a drink and getting plastered, but then...oh God, he'd kissed his boss! He rolled over in bed, wondering why he could have been so stupid and when he opened his eyes again, he saw Gibbs looking back at him. 'Shit' he thought, then he realised that Gibbs was staring at him. "Umm...hi?" he said, whilst thinking 'no, there is no way that I was drunk enough to sleep with my boss!' He lifted the sheets and saw that he, and Gibbs were both naked. Oh great, so now he'd have to find a new job, unless he could convince Gibbs that it had been extenuating circumstances, that they'd both been very drunk and that there was no need for it to go any further. They didn't even need to talk about it again, "I don't suppose you have any aspirin?" Tony asked.

"Bathroom, above the sink." Gibbs answered confused. Tony couldn't seriously think that they weren't gonna talk about it. "Tony, about last night..." he started but didn't really know how to finish it.

"Aspirin first, then we talk," Tony said, trying to work out how quiet he could make his voice so it wouldn't hurt his head, but still be loud enough for Gibbs to hear. He looked around the floor and spotted his boxers, he grabbed them and slipped them on under the covers. Gibbs may have already seen him naked, but there was no reason he should see it again now, after all, they'd both been drunk, and both were looking for comfort after a hard few days and the loss of a colleague and friend, that's all it had been, nothing more.

He located the aspirin, and stuck two in his mouth before taking several gulps of water straight from the tap. He took a deep breath and walked back into the bedroom to get the rest of his clothes. He knew Gibbs wanted to talk about it, but he felt uncomfortable walking around half dressed in front of his boss. "So, last night?" Tony started, once he was dressed.

"Well...we obviously both had a drink too much and...um..." For a second he wondered if he was always that nervous after one night stands, but then again, there hadn't been many.

"Yeah, that's what I was thinking. I've never have crossed the line unless I'd had a few to drink and if I recall correctly, it was you who started it, so yeah, just a one night stand and we never need talk of it again," Tony rambled, unsure what to make of Gibbs' expression. "Anyway, I'd better head on out, have to work tomorrow and I have the hangover from hell." He made his way to the bedroom door, but something stopped him.

Gibbs sat on the bed frowning at Tony's back. He couldn't help but wonder if this was really what he wanted. However, Tony didn't let it seem as if there was hope for anything else. Gibbs noticed that Tony didn't leave. "We're good, right?" He asked.

"Yeah, we're good. I just want you to know that last night was a mistake, I wouldn't have done that if I'd been sober," Tony muttered, why the hell couldn't he just leave?

Gibbs swallowed the pain that surfaced at Tony's words down. "Ok." He said. "Well, see ya tomorrow then."

Tony walked out, and climbed down the stairs, Gibbs' tone of voice told him that something was not right, but he was too wrapped up in keeping what had happened between the two of them that he didn't think to go back up and check Gibbs' was okay. He shut the door quietly and then realised he had no way to get home and no cell to call a cab, so he had to turn round and knock on Gibbs' door to ask him if it would be okay for him to call a cab so he could get his car from the bar where he'd left it last night.

Gibbs had just leaned back into the pillows when there was a knock on the door. He knew it had to be Tony and he wondered if he could actually leave him in front of his door and tell him he didn't hear the knock. He sighed and went down to open. "What?" He asked, not bothering with manners or politeness.

"I don't have my cell, I need to borrow you phone to call a cab so I can go pick up my car. In fact we could share a cab since I remember you leaving your car there as well," Tony said, feeling sheepish and put upon by Gibbs' tone of voice. It wasn't his fault he'd got drunk and slept with his boss, well it was partly his fault, but as he recalled, it was Gibbs who started this whole mess anyway.

"I'm gonna pick it up tomorrow before work. You should probably do the same. Your blood alcohol level surely is still enough to get DUI." Gibbs said as he headed over to the phone and then threw it at Tony.

Tony caught the phone, but he couldn't work out why Gibbs was so angry, it couldn't be something he'd said because classing what happened as a one night stand was what they both wanted, right? "I guess you're right, I'll just call a cab and go home then," Tony said, finally. He dialled the number a local cab dispatcher and told them Gibbs address for the pick up, he'd give them his once they got here. "I'll wait outside," he said, he didn't want to stay in the house and further upset his boss.

Gibbs sighed and closed his eyes annoyed about himself as Tony was about to leave the house. "Tony, you don't have to wait outside." He said. "C'mon, have a coffee before you leave." He tried to sound friendly. He had to remember that tomorrow he and Tony were supposed to work together again.

"Okay," Tony replied, still unable to read Gibbs' mood, but then again, his boss had never been an easy one to read. He followed Gibbs into the kitchen and sat at the table, waiting for the coffee to be handed to him. "You're not going to tell anyone about last night, are you?" he asked, without thinking.

Gibbs turned to Tony with a raised eyebrow. "When was the last time *I* came into the office telling everyone about my latest conquest? Or stupid one night stand, for that matter." Gibbs answered dryly and put two cups of coffee onto the table.

"Sorry, boss, wasn't thinking straight," Tony admitted, realising that he was the one that was more likely to spill their secret, which he would never do so that was the end of that. He'd rather die than let people know he'd gotten drunk and fucked his boss. He took the cup of coffee and took a few sips before he heard his taxi hoot its horn. "I guess that's my cue to leave," he said. "Thanks for the coffee." He thought it best not to mention anything else about the night before, it seemed to only upset Gibbs and that was the last thing he wanted to do. Man, tomorrow at work was going to be difficult to say the least. He just hoped Gibbs wouldn't treat him so badly as punishment that everyone else picked up on it and realised something had happened between the two agents.

Gibbs rubbed his eyes when Tony finally left. He really had to watch himself tomorrow, but then again, he had never had a problem with that. At work he always was professional.
End Notes:
This is an RP fic by Ghost's Writer and JoeyBug.
Chapter 2 by ghosts_joey
Author's Notes:
See Chapter 1
Tony was in Abby's lab discussing the results with her on a case they were working. It had been a few weeks since the 'incident' with Gibbs and although they were both professional, there was always something in the air when they were together that Tony couldn't quite put his finger on, Gibbs was more grouchy when dealing with Tony and Tony always felt like he had to be careful what to say because the smallest thing could set him off. "What you got, Abs?" Tony asked, doing his best imitation of Gibbs, or at least, how Gibbs used to sound around him before the 'incident'. Abby grinned, "You’ve been practicing, haven't you?" she asked.

"Sure, have," Tony replied, smiling. "I even have a Caf-Pow for you!"

"Way to go, Tony!" Abby said, talking the Caf-Pow and sucking on the straw.

"You know what's up with bossman? He's been extra grouchy these past few weeks."

"No idea at all," Tony lied. "So, what do ya got?"

"Well,” Abby started, she stopped when she realised that Gibbs had been listening to their whole conversation and was sat in Ducky's lab watching them both on the video link. "Hi, Gibbs," she said, calm and cool, as if nothing had happened. "What's up, bossman?"

Gibbs decided against snapping at her for her comment, considering that she already suspected something to be wrong. "DiNozzo." He barked instead. "I've been informed that I have to get a medical check. You're in charge until I'm back." and with that he cut the connection, neither wanting to hear or see the younger man any longer right now.

"Woah, he's pissed at you for some reason," Abby commented, "What did ya do?"

"I wish I knew, Abs,." Tony replied, but that was only half the truth, he knew Gibbs was still angry about the whole 'incident' a few weeks back, but he seemed to be angry at Tony for something else. He made a conscious decision that this needed to stop before someone other than Abby worked out there was more going on than the two agents were sharing, so he decided to go and see Gibbs that night after work.

He half listened as Abby went on to explain what she'd found regarding the case and then headed up to the bullpen when McGee and Ziva were both following leads. "Gibbs has gone for a medical check," he announced from his desk. "What have you both found out?"

"Is he okay?" Ziva asked.

"I assume it's just a routine check," Tony told her.

"Well, I know he's been feeling sick," McGee put in, "I've heard him vomiting in the men's room a couple of times."

"Oh, then I guess it's not just routine," Tony replied, hurt that the boss hadn't shared that with him.

Gibbs was pissed when he sat in the doctor's office, waiting. Apparently someone had heard him vomiting so they had told on him and Ducky had made an appointment without telling him.

"Agent Gibbs." The doctor said as she sat behind her desk. Gibbs barely went to a doctor so usually it was NCIS sending him to Dr. Miller.

"Could we get this over with?" Gibbs asked annoyed.

"Sure." She held out a cup to him. "That's for a urine sample and when you're done I'm taking blood samples. I've been told you were sick, Agent Gibbs, so don't try to tell me otherwise." She said and grinned a little. Gibbs sighed, took the cup and left for the attached bathroom.

Tony listened to McGee explain to him how he'd found the computer trail that led them to their suspect, but his mind was on Gibbs. If McGee had been telling the truth then he'd been actually sick for a while and with Gibbs' history of not going to a doctor unless it was serious Tony believed it must be something bad. Maybe that was why he'd been lashing out at Tony, because he was sick AND because of what had happened the other week after Jenny's funeral. "Look, I don't care how you did it, McGee, just tell me we can nail this dirtbag!" Tony interrupted exasperated.

"I'm awaiting the warrant from Agent Lee now, Tony," McGee replied

"Great, call me when it comes through and we'll go grab him," Tony said, pleased to have something else to focus on than Gibbs' apparent medical condition. At least it would give him a starting point when he confronted Gibbs later that night.

Gibbs stormed into the bullpen, behind his desk. He basically threw his gun into the drawer and then slammed it shut, before he slumped into his chair, rubbing his eyes.

Tony looked up as Gibbs slammed his drawer shut. Okay, maybe now wasn't the best time to tell him they had a suspect down in interrogation that was ready whenever he was, but he had to tell him sometime. "Uh, boss?" he ventured.

"What, DiNozzo?" Gibbs snapped.

"Suspect in the Berry case is in interrogation, whenever you're ready," Tony said, wishing he could be anywhere than where he was.

Gibbs looked at his computer, though he didn't see it. After today he couldn't think he'd be able to concentrate on breaking the guy. And it was important. "DiNozzo, do the interrogation." He said resigned. "I'm going home." He more whispered to himself than actually saying it out loud. He took his stuff and left.

"Wow," Tony said, when Gibbs had left, to no one in particular. He headed down to interrogation where McGee and Ziva were watching the suspect.

"Where's Gibbs?" McGee asked

"He went home," Tony told him.

"Home? Well, it must not have gone well at the doctor's office, did he tell you what was wrong?" Ziva said.

"Nope, he just told me to do the interrogation, then grabbed his gun and things and said he was going home. So, I guess that's it, really," Tony explained, but his mind was elsewhere, what could be so bad that Gibbs wouldn't even do an interrogation and then went home? If anything, it made him more resigned to get to the bottom of it later that night. "We ready to do this?" he asked, changing the subject,

"Whenever you are, Tony," Ziva said, before turning back to watch Petty Officer Fulton through the two way mirror. Taking a deep breath, Tony left the observation room and headed into interrogation. At least this would be practice for later on when he spoke to Gibbs.

Gibbs entered his kitchen and then didn't know what to do. He couldn't remember feeling this hopeless before. He looked around the kitchen, then mentally walked through the house, oh hell, this was so wrong on a whole new level.

With the Berry case closed, Tony finally felt that he could leave the office and head over to find out what was bothering Gibbs. He left the Navy Yard and pointed his car in the direction of Gibbs' place, he wasn't sure how he would broach the subject, but he was sure that when he got there, he'd find the words he needed.

Before long he was at Gibbs' house, he parked the car, got out and headed to the front door. Although he knew that Gibbs rarely locked his front door, he thought it polite to at least knock, the door swung open within minutes and in front of him stood Gibbs, who looked like he was ready to kill someone, Tony hoped he didn't become the target. "Are you okay, boss?" he asked, hoping to defuse the situation with words rather than violence.

Gibbs went through his options. He could slam the door in Tony's face. However, that would have bad results, he was sure of it. He could lie, but that wouldn't work. So he just settled with a sigh and a simple "no."

He walked back into the house and sat down on the couch, rubbing his eyes again and taking a deep breath, staring at the ceiling. Should he tell Tony? Or rather, how much should he tell Tony?

Tony followed Gibbs into the house and sat down on the chair opposite the couch, staring at his boss, something was really wrong and he couldn't work out what it was. "How did it go at the doctors?" Tony finally asked, breaking the silence that had fallen between the two men.

Gibbs snorted. "Well, that depends. I do know why I was throwing up lately..."

"Yeah, McGee mentioned that," Tony said. He leant forward and leaned across the gap between them to put his hand on Gibbs' knee. "Is it serious?"

"Yeah, it is." Gibbs said without looking at Tony.

Tony squeezed Gibbs' knee and sighed, he'd thought as much. "Is there anything I can do? Go with you to hospital visits? I'll do whatever you need me to," Tony said, trying to sound supportive. A list of things that could be wrong with Gibbs went through his head; Cancer, heart problems and a brain tumour were among the list. "Are you going to be okay?"

"Well, as long as there are no complications I should be alright. I just wasn’t exactly prepared to become a parent..." Gibbs said, going for frontal when he couldn't figure out how else to tell Tony.

"Complications? I'll do whatever you need me to do, boss, just promise me you'll fight it," Tony soothed, not really paying attention to what Gibbs was saying. Then it hit him. "Wait...parent? You're...you're....you're PREGANT?" he stammered. "How the hell did that happen? Who's the father or mother or whatever?"

Gibbs raised an eyebrow. "Well, if there was a mother, I wouldn't be the one vomiting, right? And how did it happen? I think you know how it happened. Considering that you were there." Gibbs said angrily and pushed himself off the couch. He wanted to drink a bourbon, or a coffee, but couldn't.

"I was there..." Tony started, confused. Then, it dawned on him. "Wait, you're saying it's MY baby?!"

"You're the only guy I've slept with in like three years. So, as long as no one sneaked into my bedroom and inserted sperm into me, yeah, you're going to be a father. Congratulations." Gibbs said, sarcasm dripping from every word.

"You mean, you're keeping the baby?" Tony asked, incredulously. "Don't *I* get a say in this? I am, after all the father."

Gibbs frowned and crossed his arms over his chest. "Well, go ahead, say what you have to say."

"I'm not ready for a baby, Gibbs. Especially one made from a big mistake like the one night stand. If I ever have kids, I want it to be in a loving relationship where both parties are happy to bring a child into the world. And anyway, you never told me you could get pregnant, which is something you ought to have shared with me BEFORE we slept together. If I'd known that I would've used protection, because it was just a ship in the night kinda thing. We were both drunk, and yeah, we both wanted it at the time, but I don't want to be stuck in a relationship with you, with my boss just because I happened to knock you up. Besides, how can I be sure it's mine, you could've gotten drunk and slept with someone else, seeing as how you were the one to initiate what happened between us! For all I know you do that all the bloody time! I'll contribute towards an abortion, if you're worried about money, but I will not support you through a pregnancy, I'm sorry, I just can't do that. What happened between us was a mistake, end of story and that, baby inside of you is just a mistake and shouldn't be brought into the world when one of its father's will resent it for forcing them into a relationship with the other one of its fathers," Tony ranted.

"Get out." Gibbs gritted through his teeth. No way in hell he was going to abort, even though the kid wasn't planned.

"I have a say in this, Gibbs, you can't just shut me out!" Tony said, "we should talk through your options!"

"Options? If you don't want the child, fine, suit yourself. I'm not going to have an abortion. End of discussion. I'm going to have this baby, with or without you." Gibbs yelled.

"What about what I want?" Tony yelled back. "I have rights too!"

"Jesus, if you don't want to be a part of the child's life, fine with me." Gibbs replied. "It'll be much easier to raise without your bad habits anyway. And if you're afraid I want money, I don't."

"You can't just have my baby and expect me to be okay with that! My bad habits? What about YOU? Who works and works and is practically married to their job! The kid would be better off dead than living with you!" Tony snapped, and instantly regretted it when he saw the look on Gibbs' face

Gibbs stared at Tony for a long moment. He truly had never been hurt like this before. He turned away from Tony and left the living room, going into the basement.

Tony thought about following Gibbs but decided against it, he'd said the wrong thing and he'd hurt Gibbs, something he hadn't wanted to do but things said in anger could never be taken back. Tony found a piece of paper and a pen and wrote "Gibbs, I hope you'll think about what I've said. I don't want this child, I'm not ready and I'm sorry about saying the child would be better off dead, I know that's not true and think you would make an excellent father, I just don't think this is the time for it. Call me when you've calmed down and we can talk some more, I'm sorry, Tony." He placed it on the living room coffee table and saw himself out

Gibbs heard the front door fall shut and ran upstairs. Yanking the door open he called: "Tony! Get back in here! We weren't finished." He could have given the younger man a dress down right there but he didn't need the whole neighbourhood to know.

Tony heard Gibbs call out to him and thought about pretending he hadn't heard him, but then decided this was too serious a topic to just leave it. He turned around and headed back into Gibbs' house, before Gibbs could speak he said, "I'm sorry about that comment, I think you'll make a wonderful father, I just don't think this is the right time for it."

"You said a lot of things tonight that really hurt me." Gibbs said and didn't care that his voice wasn't as strong. "But you have to understand that I will not have an abortion. It's not who I am."

"And you have to understand that I won't be forced into a relationship just because you make the selfish decision to bring up a child made from a one night stand," Tony replied, feeling his anger rise again. Why was Gibbs being so stubborn about this?

"I never asked you to raise the kid with me, did I?" Gibbs asked angrily.

"No, you didn't, but if you have that child," Tony started, waving a hand at Gibbs' stomach where their child was already growing, "you're forcing me to do the honourable thing and stick with you."

"I'm not forcing you to do anything!" Gibbs said getting frustrated.

"Fine. What are you going to tell everyone? That I knocked you up and abandoned you? What's that going to do to my work life?" Tony snapped. "Everyone will look at you as the victim, and me as the big, bad, Tony who didn't support his child. I'll have to leave NCIS!"

Gibbs rubbed his eyes, noticing that he was doing that a lot. "First of all, Tony, I already recommended you for a promotion. I don't know if you'll get one, but I did. Second of all, if you decide that you don't want to do this with me, I'd tell them that it was a stupid one night stand and that I don't even know the father's name."

Tony was stunned, Gibbs had recommended him for a promotion? When had this happened? "Fine, then do what you want, you obviously care so little about me that you're going to do what you want anyway, so why bother telling me?"

"Hell, Tony..." Gibbs muttered, "I really did expect a lot, but not this."

"A lot of what?" Tony asked. "You expected me to be happy that a disastrous mistake I made, sleeping with you after Jenny's funeral, turned into a baby? It was a mistake, Gibbs, one you've been punishing me for since it happened, how on earth would you think this would please me?!"

"I didn't. But I didn't expect you to go on and on, throwing into my face what a big mistake it was and that you don't want the baby and what a horrible father I'd be." Gibbs knew his voice was cracking but he didn't care. "I didn't expect you to jump into my arms and tell me how happy you are but...I was hoping you'd be a little bit supportive. I didn't know I can get pregnant, because frankly, I had never been tested. It wasn't necessary because you've been the first to...do that."

For the second time that night, Tony was stunned. He'd been Gibbs' first? He could see that Gibbs' mask was breaking and that he was really upset about the fact that Tony didn't want the baby. Tony sighed. "It's been a shock, Gibbs. I wasn't expecting this at all, I would've used protection if I'd been sober enough to realise you could get pregnant, but everything I've said tonight has been a gut reaction. Let me sleep on it and I'll make a decision when I've had more time to think about it."

Gibbs nodded. "Fine, whatever." He muttered, feeling once more helpless as he looked around the living room for something to do. "I suppose I should go," Tony said. He thought about it for a few moments and then leaned forward and pulled Gibbs into a hug. "We'll get through this somehow," he told him, "I just don't have all the answers yet."

Gibbs couldn't really return the hug, but relished every second of it. "I won't be in tomorrow, either." He said instead. "I took a sick day."

"Okay, boss," Tony replied, relieved that he wouldn't have to face Gibbs for a few days. He couldn't see himself changing how he felt and what he'd already voiced, but he felt that he had to pretend, for Gibbs' sake that he was really going to think about what he'd been told.

"I think you should really go now." Gibbs said because he knew there was only so long he could hold on to his self control, and if Tony didn't leave he'd do something he might regret.

"Okay," Ton said, quietly. He let go of Gibbs and turned to leave. "I'll call you when I've made my decision." Gibbs nodded and Tony quietly shut the door on his way out. He needed to talk to someone impartial to see whether he was being unfair about the whole situation, but he couldn't think of anyone to call. Ziva would put two and two together and come up with the real situation, Probie might be a good one to try, but he'd tell Abby who would know instantly who Tony was talking about and he had no other family or friends close by that he could talk to about things like this, In fact, even if his family was close by, he wouldn't tell them because they just wouldn't understand and they'd tell him to do the right thing and marry the girl - because there was no way in hell he was telling anyone that he'd knocked up a guy, that would lead to other questions he just didn't want to answer. So, with one last look at Gibbs, stood in the doorway of his home, he started the car and headed home.
Chapter 3 by ghosts_joey
Gibbs was spending most his time in the basement. When Tony left he had gone down there and he had stayed there, except for about half an hour when - as he now knew - his morning sickness made the reoccurring appearance.

When Tony arrived at work the following morning, he still had no idea what he should do regarding Gibbs and their baby. It felt strange to say "their" baby, but that's what it was, unless Gibbs was lying to him which was highly unlikely. He wanted to say that he cared enough for Gibbs to try to make it work between them so that the baby would be born into a happy, family unit, but he couldn't commit himself to that. He said 'Good Morning' to his colleagues because if he didn't appear bright then they'd know something was wrong, but his facade fell apart when Ziva asked him: "How was Gibbs? He's not here today, is he sick?"

"He's taken the day off," Tony replied, wishing that she hadn't gone there.

"Wow, he must be sick," McGee put in. "The boss never takes time off sick."

"Yeah, I know, can we focus on the work?" Tony snapped. He realised too late that both of them were now staring at him. "I'm sorry, I think I'm coming down with something," he lied.

"Maybe you should take some time off," Ziva replied, eyebrows raised. "I don't want to catch it from you."

"I'm fine, let's just focus on the case."

"We don't have a case, Tony," McGee reminded him. "We closed it last night."

"Oh." Tony slumped into his chair. With no hot case to keep his mind occupied, this was going to be a very long day.

Gibbs kept sanding the rip of his boat and ignored the ringing of his cell phone. He knew it was Ducky, had been the last twenty times and he really didn't want to talk to anyone right now. Well, not true, he wanted to talk to Tony, but other than that...

Tony looked up as Ducky entered the bullpen, "Tony, can I have a word?" he asked, motioning for Tony to join him. Tony got up and headed in Ducky's general direction. He wasn't sure what this was about, but he had some idea and it was not the type of conversation he wanted to have.

"What's up, Duck?" he asked, even though he already knew the answer.

"I'm concerned about Jethro, I've tried calling him a number of times to see how he is following the doctor's appointment I made for him yesterday, but as of yet, I've gotten no answer," Ducky replied. "Timothy said you went to see him last night and that he's called in sick today."

"That's right."

"Well, what did the doctor say?" Ducky pressed.

"I really don't think it's my place to say," Tony replied, hoping Ducky would take the hint and leave it be.

"Are you okay, Tony, you seem..."

"What?"

"...distracted, as if something is bothering you."

Tony thought about it for a moment and decided to confide in Ducky, without letting him know that Gibbs was the other person in the scenario. "I had a phone call from an old girlfriend last night, someone I last saw a few weeks ago, she's pregnant and I don't want the baby born to a single parent and I also don't want to become a father just yet, so I've told her I'd help her pay for an abortion," Tony ventured.

"She took it the wrong way?" Ducky correctly guessed.

"Yeah, and I said I'd sleep on it, but I can't see my mind changing," Tony admitted.

"Well, my dear boy, then you have a big decision to make. Do you care enough for the girl to be a co-parent rather than be in a relationship with her, or do you want nothing to do with her or your child?"

When Ducky put it that way, Tony knew he could only make one decision. He thanked Ducky, reminding him that they had spoken in confidence, made his excuses and left the Navy Yard to head over to Gibbs' place.


Gibbs finally put down the sander and jogged up the stairs. He really needed to eat something, he thought as he stroke through his hair to get out the sawdust.
When Tony arrived at Gibbs' door, he knocked loud enough for Gibbs to hear him in the basement, and waited. He wasn't sure how Gibbs would take his decision and they still had some things to work out, but he was sure this was the only way it could work and both parties be happy and get what they wanted
Gibbs sighed when he heard the knock. Somehow he was sure Ducky had come to check on him, so he was rather surprised when he opened and saw Tony in front of the door.

"We need to talk," Tony said, pushing his way past Gibbs and into the living room.

Gibbs followed Tony. "So, you came to your decision..." Gibbs started and wasn't sure if he even wanted to hear it.

"I have," Tony replied.

Gibbs raised his eyebrow. "So?"

"I asked...Duc... a friend I trust for advice. I didn't tell them it was a man I got pregnant so there's no way they'll make the connection and they helped me come to a decision. If you are so adamant about having this baby..." Tony said, leaving the sentence open in case Gibbs had changed his mind.

"Yeah?" Gibbs said, showing Tony that he hadn't changed his mind.

"Then I will help, but I won't be your partner, I will contribute financially and will have limited contact with the child and I will do all my parental responsibilities, but I won't be with you. I still believe that what happened between us was a big mistake and should never have happened in the first place, but the child shouldn't have to pay for our own stupidity. You should have told me you could get pregnant and I should have used protection no matter what you told me. That's the only compromise I can come up with. If you don't agree with that, then I'll step away and will have no contact with you or the child and will resign from NCIS and move out of state to allow you the chance of avoiding the stigma of me being around. Also, it will mean you can tell people who the father of your child is without me worrying about being verbally attacked by people I thought were my friends," Tony said and then waited for Gibbs' response.

Gibbs didn't look at Tony, so the younger man wouldn't see his disappointment. He actually had hoped that they'd at least try to be a family. "I guess I'll have to live with that." He muttered.

"Then we have to work out how we're going to split up the finances, oh, and I won't be accompanying you to any hospital visits. I haven't decided if I want to be present at the birth," Tony said, stonily.

Gibbs nodded. "Well, I would say that you pay half of everything. Only for the child of course." Gibbs said toneless.

"Okay, then I guess I'll see you at work tomorrow?" Tony asked, turning to leave.

"Tony, don't you think..." Gibbs started but then shook his head.

"What?" Tony asked.

"Don't you think we could at least try to be...I don't know...to get to a point where we can be good parents?" Gibbs asked.

"I told you I wasn't ready for this, Gibbs, but you wanted to go ahead with it, so I'm doing my best and if that isn't enough for you, then you know the alternative," Tony snapped. He didn't know why he was being so harsh with Gibbs, possibly because deep down he felt that Gibbs should have known he could become pregnant and should have told him before they slept together.

"Tony, this isn't my fault. I didn't know I could get pregnant. I told you! I would have told you." Gibbs said frustrated. "Is it really that difficult to imagine that you could live with me? You sure as hell didn't have any problem to sleep with me!"

"I was DRUNK! I would've slept with anyone if they came onto me! Just because we had sex doesn't mean we're meant to be together. Hell, I've had loads of relationships that are just based on the physical attraction, but I'm sorry, Gibbs, I'm just not attracted to you enough to want to be stuck with you for the rest of my life raising a baby, I didn't even want!" Tony shouted.

"Wow..." Gibbs muttered. "And they call me a bastard."

"Yeah, well, you wanted the truth," Tony said, quietly, he headed to the door and opened it.

"By the way, Tony, if you don't want people to think you're a jerk, maybe you should stop acting like one!" Gibbs yelled after him.

"At least I'm not a slut who'll open his legs for anyone!" Tony shot back.

"I didn't open my legs for anyone! I opened them for you!" Gibbs replied, touching his stomach as it started to hurt a little.

"Yeah, well next time, tell them to wear a condom, that's the least you could do!" Tony snapped. "You're the one who created this situation, not me. You either live with it or get an abortion, I don't care which!"

"I might not need one..." Gibbs pressed out breathless, as he bend over, clutching his belly in pain.

"What?" Tony asked, confused, then he saw Gibbs bent over, struggling to breathe and obviously in pain, "Are you okay?" he asked, concern and worry washing over him in an instant.

"Do I look ok, DiNozzo?" He snapped, trying to find something to hold on to. He moaned as his stomach cramped.

"Gibbs, what's wrong?" Tony asked, suddenly scared. He headed over to Gibbs and took his weight so that he couldn't collapse. "I got you, you want me to call and ambulance? Ducky? Just tell me what to do and I'll do it."

"Ambulance." Gibbs pressed out, clutching Tony's shirt for support. "I'm sorry, Tony. I didn't want to put you into this situation."

"It's fine,” Tony said, grabbing his cell and dialling 911. "Hello, I need am ambulance...he's pregnant, having trouble breathing and seems to be in a lot of pain," he told the dispatcher. He gave them Gibbs' address and then hung up. "They told me to get you lying down somewhere, but propped up. Are you bleeding anywhere?"

"Don't think so," Gibbs said.

"Should I check?" Tony asked. The dispatcher had said the ambulance would be there in ten minutes, but they'd also said to check for bleeding in case Gibbs was having a miscarriage.

"How would I know?" Gibbs asked. "This is kind of a new situation for me, too. No matter how often you say I'm a slut."

The situation was so tense that Tony almost felt like laughing to break the tension. "I'm going to check," he finally said. Suddenly he felt really guilty, had he caused this? Had he wishing the situation away caused Gibbs to miscarry? Was that what was happening? He pulled down Gibbs' pants and boxers with little help from Gibbs and there was a little bleeding, but not much. He made his boss decent again and told him, "there's some bleeding, but not much. God, how long's it been? The ambulance should be here by now."

There was a knock on the door. "IT'S OPEN!" Gibbs yelled and two EMT came to check him over, putting him on a gurney. "Are you the father of the baby?" One EMT asked Tony.

"Yes," Tony said, without thinking. "Is he going to be okay?"

"Well, I don't know. Are you coming with us?" The EMT secured Gibbs on the gurney, who made little pained sounds.

"Yes," Tony replied, again without thinking. He grabbed hold of Gibbs' hand and walked alongside the gurney as they headed out to the waiting ambulance. "It'll be okay, Jethro, I promise it will and I'm so sorry."

"So much ... for not... accompanying me to....the hospital." Gibbs muttered but grabbed Tony's hand tighter.

"Shut up, Jethro; keep your focus on breathing. I'll do the talking," Tony said, squeezing Gibbs' hand tighter. He got in the back of the ambulance and sat where the EMT told him to sit. They sped off to the hospital with their blue lights flashing.

"What happened, exactly?" The EMT asked Tony.

"We were arguing and he suddenly became breathless and then doubled over in pain, I had to hold him up. I called 911 and they told me to check for bleeding, which I did and there is some, but not much and to get him lying down, but propped up so he could breathe better," Tony explained.

"Where's the pain, sir?" the EMT asked Gibbs.

Gibbs gritted his teeth. "Lower belly." He pressed out. Squeezing Tony's hand hard. "Please, don't leave me alone, Tony. Please help me through this."

"I won't leave you, Gibbs, I promise you that," Tony promised. The look on Gibbs’ face was a mixture of pain and panic, he was obviously scared and Tony couldn't think of any other place he should be right then.

"How bad is the pain?" the EMT asked. "Is it constant or does it come and go?"

"Constant, but it gets worse and better." Gibbs answered.

"Okay," the EMT said, writing something down in his notes.

"What does that mean?" Tony asked, sounding desperate.

"It could be that the added stress of your argument has brought on a miscarriage, but it could also just be normal pregnancy pains."

"But he can barely breathe, how is that normal?" Tony demanded.

"Yes, that is a concern, does your partner have any history of smoking, or lung problems?" he asked Tony.

"No, he's pretty healthy," Tony replied, not bothering to correct the man about the fact that they weren't actually partners in that sense. Tony looked at Gibbs and place his other hand on top of the one Gibbs had in his grip. "How bad is it? Be honest," he asked the EMT.

The EMT looked at Tony for a long moment. "He seems to be in a serious condition, but I'm not a doctor and I neither have the experience nor the equipment to really say how he's doing."

"Did I cause this?" Tony asked, looking very worried. He couldn't bring himself to look at Gibbs in this state, he felt like he would burst into tears if he met Gibbs' eyes and saw how much pain he was really in.

"As I said, depending on how much the argument stressed him it might have been an important factor."
"Oh, God, I'm so sorry, Gibbs. I never wanted this, I swear I didn't. Just promise me you'll get through this," he said, talking mostly to himself, but also to Gibbs.

"Why? You'd get what you want if I lost it." Gibbs muttered half asleep from the sedatives the EMT had given him.

"How can you say that? I didn't want the baby, but that doesn't mean I wanted you hurt in the process!" Tony replied, feeling guiltier about this than he did about not protecting Jenny in LA.

"You think it wouldn't have hurt me to abort? Emotionally? Although you know that I lost my daughter you still demanded me to do the abortion. This is exactly what you wanted. If it's gone, you have nothing to worry about. And you made it fairly clear that you don't care about me either." Gibbs snarled at Tony.

"I...I don't know what to say, Gibbs, maybe it would be best if I left you when we reach the hospital," Tony said, quietly, suddenly seeing how he'd made Gibbs feel over the past few days. The ambulance finally reached its destination and soon Gibbs was pulled out of the ambulance and pushed into one of the trauma rooms to be seen by a doctor. Tony followed, not sure if Gibbs wanted him there or not, but remembering his promise, he didn't leave and wouldn't until Gibbs told him to.

"His partner is here," the EMT told one of the nurses, who looked at Tony standing behind the glass doors and watching as they pulled a screen round Gibbs, probably to undress him so that the doctor could examine him.

"You can come in if you want," the nurse said, but Tony didn't know what to do, he'd made it clear to Gibbs that he didn't want to be part of this and now that he realised he wanted to be part of some of it, he wasn't sure Gibbs wanted him there at all.

"I think it's best I wait out here," Tony said, his voice practically a whisper. The nurse gave him a concerned look, but stopped when Gibbs started shouting out.

"God! Tony!" He called out. "Where's Tony?" He looked around in panic. "He said he wouldn't leave...he said he'd be here..."

"I think he wants you," the nurse said, but Tony had already moved through the doors and behind the screen.

"I'm here, Jethro, I'm here and I won't go until you tell me too, okay? Sssh, calm down," he said, gently, as he stroke Gibbs' forehead. "It's okay, I'm here."


About two hours later Gibbs was waking up from the sedation they had given him. He could feel that someone was holding his hand and when he opened his eyes he could see that it was in fact Tony. "You really stayed." He said.

"Of course I did, I wouldn't have left you like that. How are you feeling?" Tony asked.

"Fine, I guess...Tony, I have to tell you something..."

"Okay," Tony said, leaning forward so that Gibbs didn't hurt himself. He watched him grimace as he rolled onto his side so he was facing Tony.

"Tony, I don't want to raise this kid alone. I mean, I would, if I had to, but I would really like to raise it with you. I meant it when I said that I didn't open my legs for anyone, but that I opened them for you. I've felt attracted to you for a while now. And maybe I've felt a little more than that. I would really like to try and be a family." Gibbs said and squeezed Tony's hand.

Tony sat back and thought about what Gibbs has said, he was asking a lot of him, to settle down with him, but the more he thought about it, the more he realised how he'd felt back at Gibbs' house when he'd watch the man nearly collapse with pain and the fear that he was having a miscarriage. "I think..." he started, but Gibbs interrupted him.

"I don't want you to stay with me because of the baby, or because you feel guilty about me nearly having a miscarriage." Gibbs took a deep breath and licked his lips. "I want you to be with me for me."

"I was going to say, I think I'd like to give it a go," he said, watching Gibbs' face, "some of it is because of what's just happened, but also because I think that the reason I reacted so badly to the news was that I wanted a reason to stay with you, to not let it be a one night stand, but I couldn't think of one that wasn't just centered around the fact that we were having a baby. I'm not saying I'm in love with you, nor that we won't piss each other off at times, but I'm willing to date you, to get to know the real you and to see if there's anything other than physical attraction there. How does that sound?"

Gibbs smiled slightly. "That's all I'm asking for..." then he grinned. "Well, actually, you could also stop calling me a slut and all that."

Tony laughed, "so long as you don't call me a bastard!" He leaned over and gave Gibbs a gentle hug, not wanting to cause him any more pain. "Besides the doctor said what happened was totally normal in early pregnancy, you got stressed out which caused the breathing problems, the bleeding was just spotting which we need to keep an eye on, but they said if you're breathing settles down they'll let you out tomorrow, but no work for a week. I was thinking we should confide in Ducky, he was the friend I confided in, so he already knows some of the situation and then we can think about telling the others, what do you think? Or with this episode do you think it's tempting fate telling people before the second trimester.

"Well, I don't believe in such stuff...And I'm out for a week. McGee, Ziva and especially Abby are going to ask what's wrong. You're the one who'd have to lie to them." Gibbs said. "And I already figured that you talked to Ducky about it."

"I think we should say you're out with flu and then tell them all together. Take them out to dinner or something, what do you think?" Tony replied

"Are we telling them that we're going to have a baby, or are we telling them that we're going to be a family?" He asked unable to let that go.

Tony thought for a moment, and then said, "Both. Anyway, enough talk, you need your rest. We can talk more in the morning. I'm gonna stay here if that's okay with you, I'll sleep in this chair, it's rather comfy."

"Yeah, I want you to stay." Gibbs said and smiled slightly. He knew the chair wasn't comfy.

"Okay then, you grab some shut eye and I'll stay right here until you wake up," Tony promised.

Gibbs tried to stay awake but the sedatives took the better of him.

Once Tony was sure Gibbs was asleep and that he wouldn't disturb him, he let go of his hand and headed out of the room to ask the nurses on the floor if they could supply him with a blanket so that he too could get some sleep. It had been a rough few days, but they were nearing the end and hopefully, from here on out, it would be smooth sailing.
Chapter 4 by ghosts_joey
A couple of days later Gibbs sat on his couch, bored out of his mind. The doctor had told him that he couldn't go back to work before next week and Tony had ratted him out and so he was told not to work on the boat either. Tony, that man was a mystery to him. At first he insisted on the abortion and now he was - well, great. He actually took care of Gibbs, although, Gibbs had noticed that everything Tony did as soon as he entered the house seemed to be a bit awkward.



He was a little worried today because Tony had planned to tell the others to come over for dinner and he couldn't imagine how they'd react. On the one hand for Abby and Ducky it was nothing new to have dinner with Gibbs, but he had been on sick leave for more than a week now and he had never invited Ziva and McGee, and now they were all invited by Tony...he could imagine that Abby was already sobbing in Tony's arms because she thought he'd die.



Tony had a different perspective than Gibbs on the whole situation, Abby was worried that they were headed to Gibbs' house to be told he was dying, even though Tony had assured her that was not the case, it was just that it was so unusual for the boss to take that much time off sick so she knew it had to be something. "Please, Tony, tell me, I can't stand not knowing," Abby pleaded.



"He's going to be fine, Abs, he just has to rest up," Tony reassured her. He hadn't mentioned that Gibbs had been in hospital because that would've worried her even more. "I have to go and tell Ducky, but please, don't worry, I wouldn't hide something like that from you, I promise.



Tony left the lab and headed to the autopsy suite where he found Ducky muttering about something Palmer had done. "Ah, Tony, good to see you. What's this I hear about a group dinner at Jethro's?"



"So, you've already heard about it?" Tony asked.



"Not much stays secret for long here," Ducky replied, laughing. "Was it supposed to be one?"



"Not really, but Duck, there's something I need to tell you," Tony said, his face serious. Ducky motioned for him to sit down and Tony took a deep breath. "Jethro's pregnant and I'm the father," he blurted out.



"I did suspect as much," Ducky replied. "So, why is Jethro at home?"



After a while Gibbs got up from the couch and moved to the kitchen. He threw an evil look at the coffee maker - Tony had hidden the coffee - and went to the fridge. Without coffee and bourbon Gibbs found himself eating more than usual, and strange stuff. However, he couldn't find anything he'd want right now. He sighed and pulled out his cell phone, calling Tony.



Tony had just walked out of autopsy when his cell phone started to vibrate in his pocket. "Hello?" he said, opening the phone without checking who was calling him during work hours. Gone were the days of whispered phone calls to Jeanne while he pretended to work.



"Hey, Tony, um...listen, would you mind to go to the grocery store before you come over?" Gibbs asked, biting his lip, trying to decide what he wanted.



"You can't be having cravings already!" Ton whined. He was only just coming to terms with that fact that he and Gibbs were now a couple expecting a baby and all the fun that went with that.



"You could also tell me where you hid the coffee, then you don't have to get me oreos." Gibbs bitched back.



"No coffee, definitely not during your first trimester, we can discuss what happens after that with your OB, but for now, NO coffee. Let me just grab a pen and I'll make a list," Tony told him, sighing.



Gibbs told Tony everything he could see himself eating, not knowing what he actually wanted when Tony came home. "Oh, and we're out of bacon...and we need ice cream." Gibbs said, frowning at the full fridge that looked totally empty to him.



"Okay, I'll get all of that. While I have you on the phone, I should probably tell you that Ducky knows, he'd pretty much guessed. Abby thinks you're dying and McGee and Ziva are just worried, the sooner we tell them, the better," Tony told Gibbs.



"Well, I pretty much expected all that. You guys have a case or will you be home early?" He asked as he settled back on the couch, turning on the TV Tony had brought over.



"Should home early. Vance has us working some cold cases but we've not found any leads and after the past few days I could use an early night," Tony said, "you watching TV?"



"Well, what else is there to do." Gibbs muttered slightly pissed.



"Okay, okay, you sit on your ass and relax, I'll be home soon. Call me if you have any pain or anything," Tony said, getting ready to hang up



"I'd be more relaxed if I wasn't that bored." Gibbs said getting agitated. "Why did you tell the doctor about the boat, anyway? What could happen if I sand a freaking rip?"



"It's not worth the risk, Gibbs! Anyway, I thought you wanted me to care and be concerned. I'm either in all the way or out all the way, there is no middle ground," Tony muttered, pinching the top of his nose in frustration, he did not want to have this argument with Gibbs now, not when he couldn't be there if something went wrong.



Gibbs sighed deeply. "Fine. For when did you invite the team?"



"Saturday night, that okay with you?"



"Sure. At least now I got something to do." Gibbs grinned slightly as he got up to get the cook book he had gotten from that elder neighbour who thought he needed to eat less take out.



"Okay, I have to go, I've been stood by the elevator for a good ten minutes now and Ducky is starting to look at me funny, besides I have to look like I'm doing some work, I'll see you in about two hours, okay?"



"Ok". Gibbs said and hung up. Only then he realized that maybe he should stop hanging up on Tony. He shrugged, grabbed the book, and settled back on the couch, turning the TV to an all-news station.



Tony pressed the up button the elevator and headed back to the bullpen, he was desperate for a case to focus on so he could stop filling his mind with scenarios where Gibbs fell and lost the baby. After the other night, he was doubly sure that not only did he want this baby, but he wanted Gibbs in his life.



Gibbs stood in the kitchen, frowning at the pot on the stove, then at the roast in the oven and back at the recipe book. Somehow he wasn't sure he was doing this right.

Tony waltzed into the kitchen, after styling his hair following his shower. "What's up, boss? You look confused," he said.



"Is that right?" Gibbs asked, pointing at the pot with the sauce. "I'm not sure it should taste that way." He held out a spoon to Tony.



Tony took the spoon and grabbed a spoonful of the contents of the pot, he wasn't sure what Gibbs was cooking and he wasn't sure if he should taste it, but he did anyway. It tasted a little spicy and it left a weird aftertaste in his mouth, but other than that it was fine. "It's a little spicy," Tony told Gibbs, "but otherwise it's fine."



"Mhm...and I thought it didn't have any taste at all...is it possible that my taste is already off?" Gibbs asked confused. When he looked at Tony he noticed that he looked really good today. Not that he didn't look good every other day, but since Tony was more or less living with him he noticed a little more. They didn't really exchange much affection, and often - like now - Gibbs just wanted to kiss Tony but didn't know how he'd react.



"Could be the pregnancy hormones," Tony ventured. "How is my man feeling today, anyway?" he asked, putting his arms around Gibbs and patting his stomach, Gibbs wasn't far enough along to be showing yet, but Tony liked to pretend that their child could feel him knocking at Gibbs' stomach and that he knew who he was.



"I'm good and the baby's fine as far as I can tell." Gibbs answered with a grin. "By the way, I went to my doctor and he said I'm allowed to be back at work on Monday, but on restricted desk duty for another week and then we'll see." He turned away from the stove to face Tony. "And the first ultra sound is coming up. Will you come with me? And...do you want to know the baby's sex?"



Tony grinned at Gibbs, he was piling on the good news and he liked it. "Of course I wanna come with you! I dunno about the baby's sex though, I'd like to know but if you don't want to then we can wait and have a surprise at the end," Tony replied. He was looking forward to tell him work colleagues that Gibbs and himself were expecting a baby, "did the doctor mention your due date? Because you know Abby and co are gonna want to know that."



"He said he's gonna know for sure when he sees the ultra sound. And believe me, they'll know soon enough. He said due to my age and the already accrued complications I shouldn't be working at all after the eighth month, so, you're gonna be team leader for a while. I even thought about talking to Vance that he makes you team leader for the duration of the pregnancy and the following paternal leave. We can think about the rest then." Gibbs answered.



"If I'm team leader, am I gonna be able to take my paternal leave since I am also the father?" Tony asked, feeling slightly confused.



Gibbs raised an eyebrow. "You want to take paternal leave, too? Don't you think it's enough if one of us stays home with the baby?"



"No, I don't. I want to be there to help you through the first few months, it'd be paid leave so it's not like we'd have to worry about money. You'll need me there when junior has you up all night and then doesn't sleep till midday, you'll need me to take over so you can get some sleep and also it's ideal bonding time for me as well...you're not the only one who has to bond with this baby, I do too and if you're breast feeding, which I assume you are, then you'll have another thing I can't get, it seems only fair to me to be allowed to have some time with the baby when it's first born too!" Tony rambled.



Gibbs opened his mouth but closed it again. Only two weeks ago Tony insisted on an abortion and now this. "Tony, I didn't mean it that way. I just assumed that you'd like to keep working. I know how you bounce off the walls as soon as you're stuck at home for two weeks."



"This would be different, it's my first baby, I want to spend as much time with it as I possibly can before I have to return to work, can you understand that?" Tony said, sighing.



"Sure." Gibbs said nodding. "I wished I had spent more time with Kelly, too, so, yeah, I understand that." He sighed. "Though, it will probably have consequences on the team. I mean, two of us out for a longer time...I'm sure Vance won't be happy about us having a baby anyway..."



"Well Vance can go stick it for all I care, there's nothing in the Agency handbook that says we can't date, unless you count your rule 12, besides he's had kids, though I admit the situation was different, so he should understand our want and need to be with baby for a few weeks before coming back to work. I know I'll only get a month off paid, but you'll be off for five, if I recall correctly so they'll just have to put the team on cold cases until I come back or bring someone else in to run things for a while, I don't care which, so long as I'm free to indulge my baby...and you of course!"



Gibbs was a little shocked about Tony's last statement. "Ok, then. I'll make sure to get an appointment with him once I'm back at work. You should be there, too, of course." He started to feel a little self conscious and turned back to the stove. "They should be here soon, shouldn't they?" He asked to distract himself.



"Yeah," Tony said, picking up on the fact that there was something bothering Gibbs. "What's wrong?" he asked.



"Nothing...it's just...I don't know what to think of...this." He gestured between him and Tony, trying to find words to explain.



"You mean, us?" Tony asked, reaching out and putting his hand on Gibbs' shoulder.



"Yeah, I mean...we had a one night stand, which you made clear you thought of as a mistake, and then we're like this...it's just...I'm not complaining...it's just weird." Gibbs finally admitted what had been bothering him since the beginning.



"When we had that argument and you ended up in the hospital, it made me realise that I'd been so scared of admitting how I felt to you, of admitting that I really did want this baby, of admitting that what happened between us happened because we both wanted it, not because it was a mistake, but because there was a mutual attraction between us, does that make sense?" Tony tried to explain.



"I guess so..." Gibbs said. "So...you're really into this, not just because of the baby?"



Tony pulled Gibbs into a hug and kissed his forehead. "That was part of it, but the big part of it is that I love you, there, I said it, mock me, shame me, whatever, I love you," Tony told him.



Gibbs looked at Tony for a very long moment.



"Aren't you going to say something?" Tony asked



Gibbs swallowed hard. "I'm just..." He wasn't really sure if he was ready to say it yet. He knew that he felt the same way, but every time he told someone that he actually loved them, he lost them sooner or later and he really didn't want history to repeat itself.



"Just what?" Tony asked, "I've never known you to be lost for words,"



"I can't say it..." Gibbs said and turned out of Tony's embrace, rubbing over his face.



Tony was hurt, but didn't say anything. He turned to leave the kitchen and said, "I'll just get everything ready out here." He was worried that now he thought he was in a committed relationship with Gibbs, that Gibbs was having second thoughts about having him in his life with this baby. Whatever the reason for that, Tony wouldn't say anything to Gibbs because he didn't want to stress him out and cause more complications like there had been last time they argued. Instead, he busied himself laying plates and cutlery on the table so that when their guests arrived everything would be in place, though for a moment he regretted asking them over today when it seemed that neither one of them was in the mood for company. Oh, well, Tony thought, best to get it over with now.



Gibbs sighed and leaned against the counter for a moment. Then he shook his head, following Tony into the living room. "Tony, you have to understand, I'm just not ready to say it yet."



"It's fine," Tony said, although it didn't feel fine at all, it felt like Gibbs didn't trust him and that hurt, but still, he kept quiet about it.



"Tony," Gibbs started, trying to make Tony understand but the door bell interrupted him. Great, he thought.



"I better get that," Tony said, plastering a fake smile on his face. He didn't know what Gibbs had wanted to say, but that could wait until after they had entertained their guests.



Gibbs sighed as he watched Tony go to the door.



"Hey, Tony, everything alright?" Abby asked as soon as she saw Tony's face. She knew him well enough to know that the smile was fake, and it added to her worry that there was something seriously wrong with Gibbs.



"It's all good now that you're here, Abs," Tony said, breaking into a genuine smile and hugging the forensic tech. "Are the others with you?"



"Ziva's on her way, but Ducky's here and Tim is coming with Ziva," Abby explained.



"Well, good, come on through, I think dinner's almost ready," Tony said, looking at Gibbs.



Abby launched forward, taking Gibbs into a bear hug as soon as she saw him, knocking the breath out of him. "Oh my god, Gibbs! Are you ok? Are you dying? Tony, didn't tell me anything!" She said.



Gibbs tried to catch his breath. "Abby...let me breath."



She let go off him, looking even more worried. "I'm gonna be fine." He promised but still breathed a little uneasy.



"Ducky! Good to see you," Tony announced as Ducky entered the house.



"Glad to be here for this momentous occasion, I looked up some research so I should be able to help you explain it to the others," he said to Tony as he went past, half whispering the last part. "And Gibbs, how are you feeling? Any nausea?"



Gibbs sighed and rolled his eyes in annoyance. "Just the usual, Duck. Nice to see you."



Ducky went through to join a very worried looking Abby. "How are you, my dear, I bet you're excited, aren't you?"



"Why would I be excited?" Abby asked, confused.



"Well, what with the-" Ducky started



"Actually, Duck, we wanted to wait to tell everyone," Tony interrupted.



"Ah, I see, well, say no more."



Gibbs shook his head slightly. The door bell rang again and he went to get it this time, leaving Tony with Ducky and Abby in the living room.



"McGee, Ziva." He greeted shortly, not able to put on a mask as well as Tony.



"Hey, boss..." McGee said, obviously unsure about the reason why they were there.



Ziva just nodded with a short "Gibbs."



They all went back into the living room. "Well, sit at the table, dinner's ready in a minute." Gibbs said and went back to the kitchen. "Tony, could you help me."



Tony followed Gibbs into the kitchen "What do you need help with?" he asked, not quite meeting Gibbs' eyes.



"Tony, please, I can tell you that I...I just can't say it right now..." Gibbs tried to explain again. He couldn't go on through this night, which was supposed to be happy, with that weighing everything down.



"It's okay, Gibbs, I understand, let's just get on with the dinner, okay?" Tony replied, his voice unnaturally bright and cheerful.



Gibbs sighed as he took the roast out of the oven and handed it to Tony. "Bring it to the table and slice it. I'll bring the rest." He said, knowing he sounded depressed.



"Okay, look, we can talk later, right now I just want to get this over with," Tony said, taking the roast and waiting for Gibbs to reply.



"Ok." Gibbs said nodding. He took the plate with potatoes and the sauce. "Let's get this over with."

Before they left the kitchen, Tony leaned over with the roast in his hand and placed a kiss on Gibbs' forehead. "Whatever it is, we'll sort it out, I promise," he whispered, before heading into the dining room with a smile plastered in place.



Gibbs took a deep breath and followed Tony. Hopefully he'd find the right words later. Right now, he hoped he'd find the right words to tell his friends that he was expecting a baby...and hopefully they'd react well.



"Dinner is served," Tony said, placing the roast in front of him and picking up the carving knife to cut the bird into slices.



"I'm starving, what took you guys so long?" Abby asked. "Looking good, bossman!"



Gibbs tried to put on a smile for Abby. "Thanks...we just needed to clear something..." He sat down as Tony put meat on everyone's plate. "Actually, I invited you guys for a reason. I have some big news." He said.



"Ah, should we eat first, Gibbs?" Tony asked.



Before Gibbs could answer, Abby jumped in, "no way, I want to know now, especially since you guys already told Ducky!"



"Okay, then why don't you go ahead, Gibbs?" Tony said.



Gibbs nodded, more to himself than to Tony. He stared at the plate, willing the food to tell him what to say. "I - um...I'm pregnant." He finally said, still not looking up.



Abby's eyes went wide, McGee's mouth fell open and Ziva started to frown. "What?" she asked.



"He's pregnant," Tony repeated. "And I'm the father, well the other father, since he's the actual father seeing as he's carrying the baby and I'm just the other one who inseminated his egg, which means he's actually the mo-."



"Woah, Tony, slow down!" Abby interrupted. "I've heard of this before, it's possible, but rare, Masculine Gravitational Syndrome, right?"



"Almost, Abigail, i'ts Masculine Gravidities Syndrome, or MGS for short. It means that the male is capable of carrying a fetus to term, as Tony as already point out, he inseminated Gibbs' egg and a fetus is created," Ducky explained.



"Well, are you going to be okay?" Abby demanded. "Coz I've only heard of complications in MGS."



"My doctor said I should be fine, but I have to reduce stress as much as possible." Gibbs said, a little relieved that they took it initially well. "And of course you only heard of complications. You never hear the good stuff. Not about something like this anyway."



"Is that why you were off work last week?" McGee asked. "And why you were throwing up?"



"We had a heated discussion and he almost lost the baby," Tony admitted. "It was mainly my fault, but that's in the past and now we're going to have this baby and raise it together."



"I didn't even know you were dating," Ziva observed.



"Well, it wasn't planned..." Tony started to explain, then went quiet, how could he explain that they'd both gotten drunk and slept together. He looked to Gibbs for guidance.



"It was a spur of the moment kind of event." He took Tony's hand under the table. "We actually started dating after I was positive...but now we're committed to this." He hoped it would help to convince Tony that he was into this, even with his issues about saying I love you.



Tony squeezed Gibbs' hand. "We wanted to tell you so that you would know what was going on, Gibbs will have to stop working when he's eight months gone because of the risk to baby, and we'll both be taking paternal leave once baby arrives," Tony explained.



"When are you due?" Abby asked. "I need to know so I can learn to knit and make you booties and stuff! Oh and do you know the sex?"



"Calm down, Abs, we haven't even gone for our first scan yet, and we're keeping the sex a secret, we want a surprise," Tony said, smiling. He was glad his work colleagues and friends seemed to be excited and happy for them, it made it seem all the more real. "Now, let's eat before Jethro's hard work goes to waste."

"And remember that I'm pregnant when it comes to criticism." Gibbs joked as he picked up his fork in a good mood. He was relieved about how well it went.
Chapter 5 by ghosts_joey
Once everyone had left, and the dishwasher was loaded, Tony turned to Gibbs who looked absolutely knackered. "Tired?" he asked.

"A little." Gibbs admitted. It had been exhausting for him. "However, I'd prefer to talk to you." He said.

"We can talk in bed, I can't have you making you or baby sick by being on your feet too long, come on, I'll finish down here, you head upstairs, I'll be up in a moment," Tony said, gesturing for Gibbs to put down what he was doing and head to bed. He knew they needed to talk, but Gibbs looked so tired he was actually starting to worry that they'd have a repeat of the episode that put him in the hospital.

Gibbs rolled his eyes about Tony's over protectiveness but went upstairs anyway. He made quick work in the bathroom and was in boxer shorts and t-shirt before long. He lay on the bed, on top of the covers. It was unusually warm, or at least he thought so.

It took Tony a few minutes to get what he wanted done finished, and then he headed upstairs to join Gibbs. He stripped down to his boxers in the bathroom and headed into the bedroom. "You hot?" he asked, when he noticed Gibbs on top of the covers instead of under them. "If you are, I can open a window, it is a little muggy up here."

"Yeah, that would be fine I guess." Gibbs answered and sat up straight.

Tony walked over to the window and opened it. He then walked over and lay on top of the covers next to Gibbs. "So, what do you want to talk about?" he asked, knowing full well what Gibbs wanted to talk about.

"About what you said...and what I didn't say..." Gibbs started, feeling totally unable to use the word love.

"Okay," Tony said, still unsure how to voice his own feelings on the matter.
"Listen, I...I don't want you to think that I'm not fully into this...it's just..." Gibbs took a deep breath; summon up all courage in him to say it. "I'm afraid to say *it*, just now."

"Afraid to say what? That you care for me? That you want me to stay with you and have this baby together? That you....that you love me?" Tony pushed.

Gibbs nodded, looked at his hands. "You asked me if I thought telling the others about the baby was tempting fate and I said I don't believe in that...well, when it comes to loving someone...I guess I do a little." He looked at Tony. "I don't want to lose you. Not the way I lost my ex-wives, nor the way I lost Shannon. And I don't want to lose this baby." He put his hand on his stomach.

Tony shuffled closer to Gibbs and put his hand over Gibbs' and squeezed. "You won't lose me and you won't lose this baby...I promsie you that."

For a moment Gibbs didn't care how Tony would react and leaned forward to kiss the younger man. "I wish I could just believe you." He whispered then. "I do care about you, Tony...I - I do love you."

"I know you do, and I love you. I'm just sorry that it took me almost losing you and the baby to realise that," Tony said, closing the distance between them and kissing Gibbs.

Gibbs smiled against Tony's lips and put his hands on the back of his neck. Maybe this would have a happy ending for them anyway.

Gibbs sat behind his desk, running through the background of the victim of their last case. He had almost forgotten how boring this could be. And how frustrating. However, he hadn't forgotten how good the coffee down the street was. He wondered if he could sneak off long enough to get a cup. Looking up at Tony working silently he decided against it. It wasn't worth betraying the younger man's trust. Not now that everything was working out great. He was back at work, even in the field, but he had decided to give over leadership to Tony. It was easier that way, and meant less stress for him and the baby.

"I can hear you thinking about coffee," Tony said without looking up. "The answer is no." Tony grinned to himself, he knew it must be hard for Gibbs to go cold turkey without the stuff that kept him going, but he knew he had to for the baby's sake more than anything. No coffee, no bourbon, and no working on the boat. Doctor's orders and he'd make sure his partner followed them to the letter.

Gibbs bit his lips to keep himself from saying anything. He wasn't the boss and that meant he couldn't punish Tony the way he would have. Paperwork, paperwork and more paperwork. He would have to come up with something else. It really wasn't fair that he had to stop doing all the stuff he used to do but the pregnancy had no repercussions for Tony.

Tony's phone rang, and they had a case. "Grab your gear," he said to Ziva and McGee, "I'll meet you at the scene, Gibbs and I will take the sedan." He watched the two leave and then looked at Gibbs "And before you say anything, I'm driving, I don't want the baby to get travel sick in there!"

Gibbs threw Tony a death glare. Ok, slowly this was really getting on his nerve. As soon as he knew they were alone he voice his frustration. "You do know that you're supposed to keep me away from stress. Taking everything out of my hand, binding me to a desk, putting up boundaries over and over again does not help, DiNozzo!" He hissed. "I'm getting frustrated and worked up and tensed. I need something to release that tension."

"Calm down, boss," Tony said, trying to think of a way to calm Gibbs down before he blew a blood vessel

Gibbs crossed his arms over his chest. Keeping a glare on Tony.

"Look..I know it's hard for you, but it's doctor's orders. Now, calm down or I'll send you to Ducky and go and work the scene with Ziva and McGee."

Gibbs raised an eyebrow at the order that almost sounded like a threat. He let his arms drop in resignation. "I really gotta find something to release that tension, though." He told Tony. "Maybe I actually can work on the boat. At least for an hour or two. And yeah, I will talk to the doctor about it and won't make the decision without him or you." Gibbs promised.

"Fine," Tony agreed. "So long as you get the doctor to sign off on it first and he agrees that it's safe for the baby." Gibbs then stayed silent until they reached the crime scene.

Ducky quickly met them a few feet away, so they couldn't see the body yet. "Um, Jethro, I think maybe you shouldn't look at this right now."

Gibbs frowned. "Duck, when have I ever not been able to look at a body?" He raised an eyebrow.

Ducky looked at Tony pleadingly. "I just don't think it would be a good idea, in your current condition..."

Tony looked round Ducky and saw that the victim was a young child, no more than four years old. He grimaced and nodded to Ducky, then he looked over at Gibbs. "He's right, Gibbs, why don't you go and talk to the MP's that found the body," he said.

Gibbs narrowed his eyes on the two. "Fine." He muttered and turned to go. "I'll see it sooner or later anyway." He muttered to himself.

Watching Gibbs leave, Tony turned to Ducky and said, "What you got? She looks like she was badly beaten?"

Ducky nodded. "Yes, and she was also sexually assaulted. The MP's found her under that bush," he said, pointing to the left of where they stood. "They moved her out in case something could be done, but it was too late for her, poor girl."

"Gibbs is not going to react well to this one, Duck and we need to keep his stress levels down, we just had a row before we got here about how he's had to give up coffee and alcohol and working on the boat and everything and how he needs an outlet of some kind, I don't want him going off in a murderous rage because of this."

"Well, it'll be difficult to keep it from him and you know how he is on child murder cases," Ducky said. "We're just going to have to work hard to close it and catch that bastard."

"Okay, so, tell me what you have?" Tony asked, his stylus poised over his PDA to start making notes.

"She's approximately four years old, if that, white, female, her skull is crushed and I'd imagine that she'd got a fair few broken bones throughout her body, but I'll know more when I get her back. As for the TOD, approximately twelve hours ago."

"Thanks, Duck," Tony said, noting everything down. "If you're done and McGee's finished the photos, you can load her into the van before Jethro sees her."


Gibbs reached the MP and flashed his badge. "Gibbs, NCIS. You found the body?" He asked

The MP nodded. "Yes, sir. I located her on my rounds. I saw feet peek out from under a bush, from the size I assumed it was a child. I pulled her out, checking for pulse and breathing, but there was none."

Gibbs nodded it on his pad, trying not to think about it that the victim was a child. "Did you try CPR?"

"No, when I checked for pulse I noticed that the body was really cold so I knew it was too late for that." The MP answered and swallowed hard.

"Write up a report and send it to NCIS, attention Special Agent LJ Gibbs." Gibbs handed the MP a business card. Then he turned and slowly made his way to the scene. He didn't care what Tony said, he'd go and look for himself.

Tony watched as Ducky loaded the body into his truck and then drove off, he still had a crime scene to process. He saw Gibbs heading towards him and he didn't look happy. "What did the MP's say?" he asked, trying to avoid talking about the condition of the body.

"That he pulled the body out, checked for pulse, didn't find any and then called us." Gibbs answered grumpily. He saw that McGee was taking pictures and Ziva was sketching the scene. "You want me to bag and tag?"

"Sure, go ahead," Tony replied, taking down notes from what Gibbs had told him. He was glad that the girl's body had been removed from the scene, Gibbs didn't need to see a child like that when he was carrying his own.


Once they were back at the office, Tony could tell that Gibbs was planning on making his way down to autopsy to check out what Ducky have found out, so he exercised his right as team leader to make him follow a lead that would have him stuck behind a desk for a while. He, on the other hand, headed down to see Ducky. "What you got, Ducky?" he asked.

"I was right about her skull being crushed and many bones being broken. She would have been in immense pain before she died. And she was sexually assaulted; I've done a rape kit and sent it up to Abby. How's Jethro coping?" Ducky said.

"He was about to head down here, but I've tied him to his desk for the moment, not sure how long we can keep this from him," Tony admitted. "Anything that will help us catch the SOB who did this?"

"There was semen in her vagina, so whoever did it, didn't use a condom, but there's no guarantee we have his DNA on file...unless he's in AFIS."

"I want him, before Gibbs sees the body and all hell breaks loose."

Gibbs slammed his hand down onto the keyboard, which made McGee wince. The first blow followed two more and colourful cursing. "Um, boss...something wrong?"

"Stupid computer! Stupid technology." Gibbs muttered as he chewed his tongue. He wasn't good at this. He was good at tracking down information old-school but he knew that McGee would have the information he was looking for within ten minutes, and Tony was doing this to keep him busy and behind his desk. He seriously hated this.

"Boss, maybe you should calm down a little." McGee said but almost instantly regretted it at the death glare he received.

"Tony told you to keep an eye on me when he's not around?" He gritted through his teeth.

"No, boss, actually, Abby and I have been reading up on MGS, and she's been right, there are a lot of complications." McGee pressed out quickly.

Gibbs took a deep breath, and then stood from his chair. "I need something sweet." He said, going to the vending machine.

When Tony finished with Ducky, he headed up to Abby's lab. "You got anything for me, Abs?" he asked, hoping she'd have a match of some kind so that they could put this case to bed before Gibbs gave himself a miscarriage.

"Sorry, Tony, I'm still sequencing the DNA, but if he's in the system, I'll get it for you," Abby replied, looking up from her work.

"Just make sure you let me know what's going on and not Gibbs, last thing we need is him getting stressed out," Tony told her, before heading back up to the bullpen.

The first thing he noticed was that Gibbs was not at his desk, panicking he looked at McGee, "where is he? You didn't let him go down to autopsy did you?" he demanded.

McGee opened his mouth, not sure if he just really screwed up, but Gibbs came back before the young man found his voice.

"Relax, Tony, I was just getting something to eat." Gibbs said annoyed, waving the candy.

"Oh, okay," Tony replied, relieved. "Did you find anything useful from the searches I asked you to do?"

Gibbs threw him an evil look. "Not really. There haven't been any kids reported missing in the last week."

"Check the schools, maybe the parents had a reason for not reporting her missing," Tony said, before turning to McGee.

"What about you? Found anything?" he asked.

"Nothing so far, boss...I mean, Tony, but I'll keep looking."

"Okay, and Gibbs...do NOT go down to autopsy, that's a direct order that I expect you to follow to the letter."

"Yes, boss." Gibbs answered sarcastically and returned to his search.

They all worked in silence until McGee came up with a name. "She's called Charlotte Ringwald, her dad's a Petty Officer, been off work for the past two weeks and here's his address," McGee said, passing Tony a piece of paper.

"Gear up," Tony said to Ziva, he felt Gibbs looking at him and he knew what was coming.

Gibbs stood, putting his gun in his holster and taking his badge.

"No, you're staying here. I can not risk you getting wound up when we question this guy and you ending back in the hospital," Tony said, firmly.

"Tony, I'm allowed to do field work! You can't push me behind my desk all the time!"

"I'm well aware of that, Gibbs, but this time you sit it out. I know what you're like when children are involved and added to the fact that you're pregnant and it's quite possible that this guy raped, beat and murdered his own child, there is no way I'm allowing you to go anywhere near him. You'll get stressed out and we both know that isn't good for you right now," Tony said, trying to be reasonable.

"I'm getting stressed out right now." Gibbs said forcefully. "I made you team leader to reduce stress for me, not to increase it!"

"I'm just doing what I think is best," Tony replied, calmly. "I'm not discussing this with you, Gibbs. You will stay here." With that, Tony and Ziva left the office and headed out to bring the guy in.

Gibbs slumped down in his chair and took deep breaths to calm himself down. This was not acceptable, but he needed to stay calm. Glaring at the elevator the team had vanished in, he stood, and took the other elevator down to the morgue.

Once Tony and Ziva reached the Petty Officer's, Ziva looked at him and said, "you are being too hard on Gibbs."

"What do you mean?" Tony asked, thinking that it was really none of her business how he and Gibbs interacted.

"I don't see why he couldn't have come along, just letting you take the lead in the questioning. I know he's pregnant, but he's not infirm," she replied.

"He has to avoid stress, Ziva, he's nearly lost the baby once already, I can't take that risk," Tony argued.

"Well, I think you're treating him like he's infirm and will collapse at the slightest ounce of stress, he knows how to conduct himself in the field," she told him, "and anyway, what's stopping him from getting stressed out at how much you won't let him do?"

Tony thought for a while. "You may have a point, I'll talk to him when we bring this guy in, but for now, let's just get this over with."

They headed to the door and Tony knocked and waited for an answer.

Gibbs had managed to get the elevator doors to close before McGee had caught up with him. On his way down to autopsy he wondered if he actually was doing the right thing here. Tony had ordered him to stay out. Well, yeah, rule 18, forgiveness rather than permission. He took a deep breath and walked into autopsy, ignoring Ducky, who rapidly tried to cover up the little girl on the slab.

"Jethro, you don't have to see this." Ducky said but Gibbs already stood at the slab.

Gibbs shook his head slightly. "I do, Ducky. I'm going to have a child, it's not going to be any easier then..." He took a deep breath, trying to suppress the nausea that came to surface.

"How can someone do this?" He asked confused and then quickly left the morgue.

"Can I asked why you didn't report your daughter missing, Petty Officer Ringwald?" Tony asked.

"I thought she was with a friend," he replied, neither Tony nor Ziva believed him.

"She was found about a mile from this house, where was the friend's house?" Tony pressed.

"About twenty minutes from here."

"Driving or walking?" Ziva asked.

"Driving."

"That's more than a mile then, isn't it?" Tony said. "Look, I'm going to have to ask you to come down to the Navy Yard with us to identify your daughter and answer a few more questions."

The man put up little or no fight and allowed himself to be led out of the house and into Tony's car; he said nothing on the drive back to the Navy Yard and left with Ziva to be taken to an interrogation room.

Tony made his way up to the bullpen and found Gibbs sitting at his desk. "Look, Gibbs, we need to talk," he said, quietly.

Gibbs was quite pale and he didn't really feel all that good. He ran a hand over his face. "ok?" He said.

"Ziva said something to me on the drive over there that made me realise that I've been trying to shield you from things that you're eventually going to have to deal with and I just wanted to apologise, my actions were in the baby's best interests, but I shouldn't treat you like one," Tony said.

Gibbs nodded, but couldn't really speak. He felt that if he opened his mouth he was going to puke. He licked his lips and stood slowly.

"Are you feeling okay?" Tony asked, suddenly concerned that Gibbs wasn't actually saying anything.

"Not really." Gibbs muttered and stumbled towards the bathroom.

Tony went to follow him, shouting to McGee "Call Ducky, NOW and get him to meet us in the restroom." He followed Gibbs as he headed into the bathroom and then into a stall and rubbed his back as he vomited. "Feel better?" he asked, once Gibbs had finished. "Stay there, I'm having Ducky look you over," he ordered when Gibbs made to stand up and wash out his mouth.

"It's ok, Tony, I was just upset..." Gibbs whispered to not strain his raw throat.

"No, I mean it, Jethro, I know you're still going through the first trimester so morning sickness is still possible, but that's my baby too and I'm not having it put at risk when you could have been checked over," Tony ranted. "Here, drink this," he said, handing Gibbs a glass of water.

Gibbs drank the glass slowly. "Tony, I've been down to autopsy." He admitted, knowing that soon Ducky would be there.

"Gibbs!" Tony half-shouted, but stopped when Ducky arrived.

"Ah, McGee said there was an issue with Jethro," he said, interuptting them before an argument could break out.

"He went down to autopsy and has been sick, when I specifically told him to NOT go there," Tony ranted, crossing his arms across his chest and giving Gibbs a harsh stare.

"You just apologized for doing that!" Gibbs pointed out. "I don't have cramps or something. I felt like this when we had such a case even BEFORE I was pregnant."

"Well, you never threw up before!" Tony snapped back.

"How would you know? Did you have a diary about whether or not I went to the bathroom after I was down to autopsy?" Gibbs barked.

"No, but you looked really bad!" Tony shouted. "And-"

"Gentlemen, didn't the doctor tell you both to avoid stress?" Ducky interrupted.

Gibbs sighed and leaned against the wall. "I had *this* kind of reaction before. It might be a little stronger, but I'll live. And so will the baby." Gibbs assured Tony calmly.

"Can Ducky just check you over," Tony asked, "for my piece of mind more than anything?"

"Fine, he can check me." Gibbs agreed. "Duck, your office?" He asked and the ME nodded. "Oh, Tony, how did the interview go?" Gibbs then asked before he left the bathroom.

"I've got a feeling that he's guilty, but I'll wait to interrogate until you can sit in, if that's okay with you?" Tony replied.

Gibbs smiled slightly that Tony would allow him to be present. "Ok, I'll let Ducky check me through and then come down to interrogation."

Actually he hoped he could interrogate that bastard but wasn't sure if he could ask Tony for that. "At least he'll stew in his own juices for a while until I'm down." Gibbs grinned and left with Ducky.

Tony left the restroom and headed down to interrogation to join Ziva in the observation room. "Gibbs is just getting the once over by Ducky and then he'll be down to sit in on the interrogation. How's he been?" Tony asked her.

"Just sitting there. I see you took my advice about Gibbs, he knows how much he can handle," Ziva replied. "Why is Ducky giving him a once over?" she asked, confused.

"He was sick a few moments ago and I wanted him to get check out for my piece of mind," Tony replied.

"You're so over protective of him," she mocked.

"He is carrying my baby!" Tony shot back. "Anyway, keep an eye on him, I'm going for coffee...if Gibbs comes down before I get back, let him know where I am."

"Sure thing, boss," Ziva said, and went back to watching Petty Officer Ringwald.

Gibbs was soon cleared by Ducky. He really had just an upset stomach. However, before he went to interrogation he made a beeline and grabbed some tea from the machine. He wasn't that big on tea, so he wouldn't know the difference anyway, but he remembered that it had helped his stomach when he was a kid.

Finally he arrived in observation. "Where's Tony?" He asked, looking into the other room, his eyes narrowing on the man sitting there.

"He went to get coffee." Ziva answered and gave Gibbs a once over.

"I'm fine." He said without looking at her. He kept staring at the Petty Officer.

Tony got back with his coffee to find Gibbs in the observation room. "Shall we get started?" he said, leading the way into the interrogation room.

Gibbs followed Tony into the other room. He took a chair from the corner and sat down next to the table, leaving the place across the suspect for Tony. "Special Agent Jethro Gibbs." He introduced himself shortly, his eyes never leaving the Petty Officer.

"I'm Special Agent Tony DiNozzo, Petty Officer Ringwald. You know why you're here?" Tony said, sitting down and sipping his coffee.

"No, all I know is my daughter is dead and you brought me in," the Petty Officer replied.

"Why do you think that is?" Tony asked, looking at Gibbs and then back to the suspect.

"I have no idea."

"Your daughter was found beaten, raped and dead. And you failed to report her missing."

"I told you, she was at a friend's house!" the PO snapped.

"What's that friend's name?" Gibbs asked calmly.

The PO looked from Gibbs to Tony, "Mary..."

Gibbs exchanged a look with Tony, raising his eyebrow. "He doesn't seem to remember the name, Tony. That's strange. If my daughter was four years old, I'd make sure to always know who she's with."

"Yeah, so would I," Tony told Gibbs. "You see why we have a problem believing you Petty Officer?"

"I don't know her that well," the PO stammered.

"Gibbs, would you send your four year old daughter to someone you didn't know 'that well'?" Tony asked.

"Nahhh, I think I'd know pretty damn well who is watching my kid." Gibbs agreed, levelling a first-class stare on the Petty Officer. "Where's her mother, anyway?" Gibbs asked.

"She left when Charlotte was two," the PO replied, looking nervous under Gibbs' stare. "What's that got to do with it anyway?"

"Who looks after Charlotte when you're at work?" Tony asked.

"A friend."

"Friend have a name?"

"Clara Smith." Ringwald said reluctantly.

Gibbs narrowed his eyes. "I assume Clara has a phone number and an address?"

"Um...she comes over to my place. I don't know where she lives..."

Gibbs crossed his arms over his chest. "Petty Officer, I get the feeling that you don't care all that much about your daughter." He handed Tony the file he had pulled when Tony had picked the PO up. It was Charlotte's medical history. She had been to the hospital on several occasions. Mainly with bruises or broken bones.

"I do care about her, but she's very difficult and hard work," the Petty Officer complained.

Tony looked through the file. "What happened when she broke her collarbone?" he asked, reading through the medical report.

"She fell off the top bunk of her bed," Ringwald said, looking nervous.

"It says here, it looked like someone had grabbed her and twisted her arm around, also there were suspicious bruises that suggested someone had caused the break," Tony read. "Why don't you just admit it, Petty Officer, she was a difficult child, you said, hard work, you said, you've been off work for a few weeks and you got angry with her."

"No!"

"You beat her..." Tony continued.

"No!"

"You raped her..." Tony continued.

"No!"

"You killed her and dumped her under a bush, a mile from your home," Tony stated.

"That's not how it happened!"

Gibbs leaned forward. "Then how did it happen?" He asked picking up on the PO's insecurity. He tried to sounds as if he was on his side. "Tell us what happened, Petty Officer, so we can help you." He took a deep breath, almost hating himself for what he was about to say. "I know how it feels to lose a daughter."

Petty Officer Ringwald sat back in his chair and sighed. "I didn't kill my daughter," he eventually said.

"But you know who did?" Tony asked.

The Petty Officer paused for a long time. He looked from Tony to Gibbs and back to Tony. "It was an accident," he said, finally.

"Tell us what happened." Gibbs pressed on, trying to decide whether the PO was lying or not.

"We were playing a game, she came onto me, I didn't mean to hurt her, but she wanted it and then she wouldn't stop screaming so I banged her head on the floor once or twice," Ringwald started.

"Her skull had caved in!" Tony shouted. "How can a four year old come onto you?"

"It was her idea! I only did it because she wouldn't shut up and I didn't want the neighbours to find out and then she stopped breathing and I knew she was dead, so I took her to that place and left her there. But it was an accident I swear!"

Gibbs jumped from his seat, knocking the chair over, leaning over the table until he was close to the PO's face. "Four year olds don't get such ideas!" He barked.

"I'll swear that was the truth, I didn't mean to kill her, I just wanted her to stop screaming," he sobbed.

Tony looked at Gibbs and motioned for them to leave. He needed to get his partner out of there before he floored the guy.

Gibbs however had another idea. He slammed his hand onto the table. "You raped your daughter and then you killed her! There's no way this was an accident or her idea! If you're lucky, you'll get away with life. Right now, I'm very tempted to tell the inmates why you're going to prison. Do you know what they do with child rapists and murderers?"

"You can't do that!" Ringwald shouted.

"Watch him," Tony said, and then he got up and practically dragged Gibbs with in into the observation room so they could talk without the Petty Officer overhearing.
Chapter 6 by ghosts_joey
Outside the room Gibbs punched the wall once, letting his anger out in a physical way, though it only made his hand hurt.

"Okay, you need to calm down, Gibbs. That sick fuck has admitted murder and no jury is going to let him walk, not with the sustainable injury his daughter received," Tony told him.

Gibbs took deep breaths to calm himself down. "You're right. There's no way he's gonna walk...but still that just too good for him...he deserves so much more."

"I get you, Gibbs, I really do," Tony said.

"In my country, he would be stoned to death," Ziva put in.

"Shame we're not in your country," Tony added.

Gibbs grinned slightly. "Yeah, well...there are ways to deal with it here." He said cryptically. "I'd say you can process him." He went for the elevators.

Tony passed off that job to Ziva and walked after Gibbs, "I'd say we've earned our pay checks today, want to call it a day?" he asked when the elevator doors had closed.

"Yeah, I'll meet you at home." Gibbs said and pulled out his cell phone, scrolling through the names.

"What are you going to do?" Tony asked, suspiciously, "let the courts deal with dear Petty Officer Ringwald, Charlotte's safe from him now."

"Charlotte's not save, she's dead!" Gibbs snapped. "And I'll let the judge deal with him...just not only the judge."

"Gibbs, you have to think of your baby," Tony argued.

Gibbs looked up. "I'm not doing anything to strain myself, Tony. Don't worry."

"I do worry, Gibbs, I don't want you getting involved in this," Tony pleaded.

Gibbs sighed. "Tony, I'm just not sure I can sleep like that."

"Tell me what you're planning, Gibbs, that way I won't worry because I'll know," Tony asked, flipping the switch for the elevator to turn off so that they wouldn't be disturbed.

"I'll just call an old friend and tell him about the situation. That's all I'm gonna do, Tony. Promise."

"Okay," Tony said, still unsure, but he knew that Gibbs wouldn't do anything that would risk his career or the baby. "I'll see you at home, then...want me to pick up dinner on the way?"

"Yeah, just no thai...or chinese...nothing asian, really...and I can't eat anymore Pizza..." He sighed. "I could eat a steak." He muttered.


Tony was shuffling around the waiting room, nervous as anything. They were waiting to be called in for Gibb's first ultrasound and although Tony was excited about the thought of seeing their baby on screen, he was also nervous that it would highlight some kind of problem.

Gibbs sat in a chair, following Tony with his eyes. He was nervous about the first ultra sound. Somehow he worried there wouldn't be a heart beat or something.

"You're making me sea sick." He finally said, tired of watching Tony running a hole into the floor.

"I'm not surprised you feel sick, you drank like a gallon of water before we left," Tony replied, still pacing.

Gibbs rolled his eyes. "I just wanted you to sit down, damn it!" He barked, making the women in the waiting room look at him strangely. "Oh, c'mon! Women can get crazy when they're pregnant but if a man does he's getting strange looks!" He said to them.

"I don't think they're used to seeing a pregnant man, Gibbs. It is rather odd, even though it's possible," Tony told him, taking a seat and crossing his legs, he made up for not pacing by twitching his foot.

Gibbs threw Tony an annoyed look and put his hand on the bouncing knee. "It's gonna be fine." He said, half to convince Tony, half to convince himself.

"I hope so," Tony half whispered. He put his hand over Gibbs’, ignoring the look of disgust a few women shot them. "Just know that if it isn't, we'll get through this."

About five minutes later, just before Gibbs would have snapped at the women in the room for whispering behind their back, they were asked inside. Gibbs shortly patted Tony's leg and stood up. "Ok, let's go face the music." He muttered.

Tony nodded and followed Gibbs as he led the way into the exam room.
"You need to get undressed and put this gown on," the nurse told Tony.

"Er..he's the pregnant one, not me," Tony replied, smiling. The nurse rolled her eyes and handed Gibbs the gown.

"You want me to help or you want me to wait over here and you go behind that screen or something?" Tony asked.

Gibbs rolled his eyes. "Tony, I'm in the first trimester. I barely put on weight. I can undress myself without your help, thank you." He went behind the screen and changed into the gown. He hated these things.

Tony looked around the room, next to the screen, there was a bed with a monitor and ultrasound machine next to it so he assumed Gibbs would have to lay there. Just as he was about to say something to Gibbs, he came out from behind the screen wearing nothing but the gown, and socks, he assumed he also had his boxers on too. Tony stifled a laugh.

"What?" Gibbs asked, feeling ridiculous. "What are you laughing about?"

"I've just never seen you like this, boss," Tony said, trying not to giggle. "You look a little funny."

Gibbs shook his head and sat on the bed. "I feel a little funny, too." He muttered. "Even the nurse thinks it should be you..."

"Oh, come on, just because a nurse thought I was Jethro Gibbs doesn't mean anything," Tony reassured him. He was about to say more when the doctor came in and looked at Gibbs.

"How are we feeling today, Jethro?" she asked.

"I'm ok." He said grumpily.

"Okay then, let's get started. Can you lie down on the bed and pull your gown up to just above you stomach?" she said.

Gibbs lay back and pulled the gown up, glad he kept his boxers on. He hated doctors. The odds were that they would tell him bad news, that's why he never went to one if he didn't have to. But in this case, he really had to.

"Okay, you're going to feel something cold as I put some gel on the end of the wand," the doctor said, "and then I'll just smear it around and soon..." she paused.

Gibbs barely twitched when the cool get was applied to his belly. He saw the doctor was getting ready to start the scan, so he looked over to Tony for reassurance.

Tony reached out and held Gibbs' hand. "Ah, there you go, there's your baby! That sound you hear is the heartbeat, don't worry about it seeming so fast, that's perfectly normal," the doctor told them.

Gibbs squeezed Tony's hand at hearing the heart beat. He smiled a little, relieved that it was alive.

"And now I'm just going to be moving around to get measurements to check baby's okay and developing normally," the doctor said.

"But it looks okay?" Tony asked, sounding worried.

"They have a normal heartbeat, but at this stage, baby is only twelve weeks old, so we just want to make sure everything is growing and developing normally. I assure you if there was a problem, they would have picked it up by now," she reassured them.

"This is our first scan," Tony said, confused.

"Oh, Ah, I see now," she said, stopping what she was doing and looking at Gibbs' notes. "You were in hospital with some spotting at 5 weeks, right?" she asked Gibbs.

"Am, yeah..." Gibbs said confused and a little worried.

"Well, they did a scan while you were sedated. I'm surprised no one told you that," she explained.

"And?" Tony asked, squeezing Gibbs' hand.

"Everything was normal and baby was fine," she said, "this scan is more to check for birth defects so we take measurements and then on your next scan we can check that baby is growing normally. There really is nothing to worry about.

"Now, would you like to know the sex?" she asked.

Gibbs let out a deep breath. He had to make sure to rip that doctor at the hospital a new one once the baby was born. "Um...do we?" Gibbs asked and looked at Tony. The younger man had been changing his mind about the topic over and over again.

"I'm fine with waiting if you want to," Tony said, he was desperate to know, but he knew that Gibbs didn't want to know and he didn't want to ruin the surprise for the man.

Making a decision within seconds, Gibbs said "hit me."

The doctor smiled. "You're having a girl, you can see her sex organs just developing and it's obvious that there is no penis," she told them and then waited for their reactions.

Tony smiled, he was going to have a baby girl, then he looked at Gibbs, he'd lost a daughter, was he going to be alright having another?

Gibbs stared at the monitor. He was going to father another girl. He swallowed hard. "Ok." He said, immediately realizing how stupid it was to say ok...

"Are you okay, Gibbs?" Tony asked, wishing he had the right words to make it okay.

"I can give you a moment," the doctor said. "I'll be back to print out a still for you to take."

"I'm alright." Gibbs told Tony as soon as the doctor had left the room. "I...I will be alright."

"What's wrong? Is it because it's a girl?" Tony pressed, he didn't want to upset Gibbs but he also knew that the man would keep it bottled up if he didn't push the issue.

"Yes, Tony, it's because it's a girl!" Gibbs snapped. He rubbed his hand over his face.

"I'm sorry," Tony said, he didn't know what else to say really. He'd never felt the pain of losing a child and he wasn't about to bring another child into the world, but he knew that whatever happened, he'd be there for Gibbs. And his daughter.

Gibbs took a deep breath. "At least now I'll have time to deal with it before - the baby is born." He couldn't get himself to say 'she'

"We'll deal with it together," Tony said, just as the doctor reappeared.

"Here you go," she said, handing Tony some stills of the ultrasound. "I got you a couple."

"Thanks," Tony said.

She handed Gibbs a cloth "This is to clean yourself up, you can get dressed now and make an appointment for eight weeks from now so we can check on her progress," she told him.

Gibbs nodded as he rubbed the cloth over his stomach. Wordlessly he went behind the screen and changed into his cloths. As soon as he was covered from sight he let his head hang for a moment. He'd really have another daughter.

Tony waited as Gibbs got changed and then they walked out of the exam room together, neither one said anything as they made their way back to the Navy Yard. Once they got there, Gibbs sat at his desk and Tony stood over him. "Want me to show the others the scan pictures?" he asked.

"If you want to." Gibbs answered. Actually he had looked forward to show the scan to his friends, but right now he didn't really feel up to it.

"Why don't you come with me? I know Abby will be dying to ask you almost everything about the scan," Tony suggested. "And the baby is healthy, so this is good news."

Gibbs sighed. "You're right. Abby's worrying all the time. She'll be out of her mind if I didn't come along to gloat with the scans..." He got up from his chair, telling himself that it was in fact good news and that having a daughter didn't mean that he'd replace Kelly in his heart.

They both headed to the back elevator to go to Abby's lab first. Once they were inside the elevator, Tony leaned over and kissed Gibbs' cheek. "Just because we're having a girl, doesn't mean we're replacing Kelly in any way," he whispered, then he turned back to face the elevator doors.

"Hey Abs, we're back,." Tony said, once they reached the lab.

"Oh Gibbs! How did it go? Do you have pictures?" Abby exclaimed, grabbing Gibbs and pulling him into a hug.

At Abby's enthusiasm Gibbs could help but smile. "Yeah, Abs, we've brought pictures. Tony has them." He said, hugging her back shortly.

The goth span around to face Tony. "Show me!" She ordered.

Tony pulled the scan photos out of his wallet and handed them to Abby. "Oh My God!" she shrieked. "Is that your baby?"

"Sure is," Tony replied.

"Do you know the sex?" she asked.

Gibbs looked at Tony, raising his eyebrow. Although he wanted to know the sex, Tony also wanted to surprise the others. "We know." He said.

"And?" Abby pressed.

"We want to keep it a secret," Tony replied.

"Oh, come on guys, I'm knitting already and I have to know! Blue or pink! You gotta at least tell me that!" Abby whined.

"Why not make it yellow?" Tony replied.

"PLEASE!" Abby shrieked. "I HAVE to know!"

"Abby, relax." Gibbs said calmly, trying to hide his grin. "Tony's right. Use yellow. I don't like pink anyway."

"Anyway, we've got to go and tell Ducky now, so..." Tony said.

"You wait, I will find out!" Abby threatened.

"Yeah, you will, when the baby's born," Tony replied

"Don't make this a challenge, I'm a forensic expert, I have ways of finding these things out!"

"Whatever, Abby," Tony said, laughing. He followed Gibbs out of the lab and into the elevator to go down to autopsy. "You feeling better?" he asked Gibbs once they were alone.

Gibbs smiled slightly. "Yeah, this is actually helping."

"Good," Tony said, he grabbed Gibbs' hand as the elevator doors opened and they both walked together into autopsy.

"Ah, Tony, Jethro," Ducky said, "you're back from the hospital, I see."

"Yeah, obviously." Gibbs said. "We brought some scans. I'm sure you want to take a look." He nudged Tony to hand over the scans.

"The doctor said everything looks fine." Gibbs added.

"Ah well, these look nice, and the baby's in good health, so, all is well," Ducky said, looking at the scans. "I'm sure Abby already has the pink wool picked out."

"Why would she use pink?" Tony asked, confused for a second.

"Because you're having a girl, it's obvious from these scans!" Ducky told him. "Oh dear, I hope I haven't ruined the surprise."

"No, we knew, but we don't want anyone else to know so please don't mention it to Abby or Ziva or McGee," Tony asked.

"How do you feel about having a girl, Jethro?" Ducky asked Gibbs
.
Gibbs' smile fell from his face. "I guess I'll have to get used to the idea." He admitted. "But I'll be fine. It's a new kid. There's no point to worry. And she didn't die because of some disease...and I won't let history repeat itself." He took Tony's hand, squeezing, more to reassure himself than Tony.

"We're just happy she's healthy," Tony added. "Have you seen Ziva and McGee, they're the last ones on our list to show the scans to?"

"No, I think they were called to help with a case one of the other teams were working. Whatever the case, they'll be around soon." Ducky replied.


Some months later. Gibbs sat at his desk, rereading his report from the last case. He rubbed his stomach, feeling hungry yet again. The elevator doors opened and Fornell waltzed into the bullpen.

"Gibbs, I need to speak with you!" Fornell said, looking royally pissed, though that was barely a surprise.

"About what?" Gibbs asked back, reluctant to get up from the comfortable position he had found only moments ago.

"About Petty Officer Ringwald." Fornell looked Gibbs up and down. "You put on a lot of weight, haven't you?"

Gibbs threw him a death glare, but didn't answer.

Tony walked into the bullpen with a cup of coffee just as Fornell was commenting on Gibbs' weight. "He's pregnant and I'm the father," Tony snarled. "To what do we owe the pleasure of your company, Fornell?"

"Your boss has something to do with a certain Petty Officers death," Fornell shot back. "Pregnant? Now, why doesn't that surprise me?"

"Which Petty Officer?" Tony asked, suddenly worried.

"Petty Officer Ringwald," Fornell said. Tony lost all colour from his face when he realised that Gibbs had gone against what he's promised him and gotten involved.

"I haven't seen him since I testified at his trial." Gibbs answered calmly not at all worried.

Fornell put his hands on Gibbs' desk. "I didn't say that you went and killed him. He was killed in prison. Someone actually told not only the guards but the inmates what he was in for. He really didn't have a nice death."

Gibbs suppressed a smirk. "Fornell, would I go and risk my baby's health to do something like that?" He tried to play the I'm-pregnant-and-all-innocent-card.

"Gibbs wouldn't do something like that," Tony put in, whilst thinking the opposite. He couldn't believe Gibbs had actually done what he'd threatened to do.

"Yeah, right." Fornell said. "I just came to inform you that we're pulling your phone records. I didn't have to do that, since I have a warrant, but I thought I owed you as much. You'll hear from me again, be sure of that." Fornell straightened up and made to leave but then stopped, gave Gibbs an once over, and then Tony. "Seriously?"

Gibbs narrowed his eyes in a deadly glare. "Fine, I'll just leave..." Fornell said, "wouldn't have figured you for the 'maternal' type." He smirked. "not at your age, anyway." And with that he left the office.

Tony glared at Gibbs, he was almost too angry to speak. "Elevator, now," he muttered and headed towards the back elevator where they could talk in private. He waited for Gibbs to join him and then pressed a button, waited for the elevator to move and then flicked the off switch. "What the HELL were you thinking?" he shouted at Gibbs.

"Tony, I did exactly what I told you I'd do. I called an old friend and talked to him about it." Gibbs replied calmly, though he was feeling everything but calm.

"I told you not to get involved and I distinctly remember you promising me you wouldn't. And now, we're got Fornell digging through your phone records, he's going to find a connection and then YOU'LL be on trial! You're five months pregnant, Gibbs, I am NOT having my daughter born in prison because her father is too pig headed to step back when it's good for him!" Tony ranted.

"Tony, he will not connect me to this. I haven't been in contact with anyone who works at the prison. I did not tell those inmates that Ringwald's a murderer. And I certainly did not tell the guards to look the other way." Gibbs was getting a little pissed. He wasn't stupid enough to be connected to this.

"But your "friend" obviously did," Tony shot back.

Gibbs shrugged. "No one can make me responsible for something someone else does, can they?"

"Fornell is a sneaky one, he'll connect you to this, just you watch. I can't believe you'd be so irresponsible with our baby's well being!"

"I'm not irresponsible, Tony. I didn't do anything wrong. You wanna tell me you never told anyone about a case we had?" Gibbs said, getting agitated.

"I never share the suspect’s details! Christ, you've been an NCIS agent for over a decade; you'd have thought you knew more about SOP!" Tony yelled.

"I might have dropped the name accidently. Tony, all Fornell is going to find is that I called a friend after we interrogated Ringwald. He's a really good friend. If he checked my phone records a while back, he'd realize that I called him on several occasions after a case. I'm not an idiot, Tony. I would threaten our child's life like that!" Gibbs barked.

"It was no accident and you know it!" Tony yelled. "I can't believe you lied to me!"

"I didn't lie to you! I told you exactly what I....arg."

"You told me you would get involved! What? What is it?" Tony asked, forgetting what he was yelling about in the first place.

Gibbs put a hand on the side of the elevator. "It's just...ouch..."

Tony acted quickly; he took Gibbs in one arm and flicked the switch for the elevator with the other. He pressed the button that would bring them down to autopsy. "It's okay, I'm getting Ducky," he reassured Gibbs.

Gibbs grimaced as the pain went worse. "God, this can't be happening."

The elevator doors opened and Tony yelled, "DUCKY! Quickly! It's Gibbs, I think he's having a miscarriage or early labour or something!"

Ducky appeared in the doorway of autopsy and helped Tony half carry Gibbs into autopsy and helped him climb up onto a table. He felt the considerably bump that Gibbs had. "Where' the pain, Jethro?" he asked him, whilst Tony stood beside him, helplessly.

"Ah! Right there!" Gibbs pressed out as Ducky found the spot that hurt the most. "God, I can't lose it, Duck..."

"Oh God, Gibbs, you're bleeding!" Tony said, grabbing Gibbs' hand and squeezing it tightly.

"It's okay, Jethro, I've got you. Jimmy, call an ambulance, tell them we have a man with MGS, five months along in pre-term labour," Ducky barked at Palmer, who did exactly what he was told.

"Is he going to be okay, Duck?" Tony asked, still gripping Gibbs' hand.

"They have drugs that can halt the labour, but we need to get him there before his water's break. Once that happens, there's no turning back," Ducky explained.

Gibbs squeezed Tony's hand hard. He couldn't help it when he started to sob. This was just cruel. He couldn't lose another daughter. Not now that he finally had come to terms with it that he was going to have one.

The paramedics arrived quickly and loaded Gibbs into the back of the ambulance once Ducky had handed over all the information he had. Tony didn't even need to be asked, he just got into the back of the ambulance with Gibbs and kept holding his hand. "It'll be okay, Gibbs. They'll stop the labour and it'll all be okay, I promise."

"I'm just going to put a needle in the back of your hand, okay, Mr. Gibbs?" the paramedic told him, as they headed out, sirens blaring.

"Ok." Gibbs muttered, holding on to Tony's hand as if it was a life line.

They secured an IV and hooked Gibbs up to some fluids. "Is that going to stop the labour?" Tony asked, trying to stay calm.

"No, the doctors at the hospital will do that, we're just keeping him hydrated," the paramedic explained. "They know we're coming so they'll have all the right doctors there and we should be there soon, with the sirens and all."

"Okay," Tony said. "Gibbs, it's going to be okay, did you hear what he said?" Tony whispered into Gibbs' ear.

Gibbs tried to suppress the sobs. "All he said was that it's going to be okay if we're there in time." He muttered quickly as long as he enough breath. He couldn't help be pessimistic. He always was. Why should he suddenly have everything he ever wished for? Why should he suddenly be happy?

"I promise you it'll be okay, and even if she's born now, with all the medical advances she'll survive," Tony said to Gibbs.

Gibbs nodded, trying to believe Tony's words. "She'll be ok." He whispered.

The ambulance came to a halt, and the doors were opened by the waiting medical personnel. "This the pre-term labour?" a nurse asked.

"Yeah, this is Jethro Gibbs, MGS obviously, five months pregnant, bleeding, but no sign of ruptured waters," the paramedic said, handing over.

They loaded Gibbs out of the ambulance and into a trauma room, the same one as before, which gave Tony the chills. Soon, Gibbs was surrounded by medical people. "Whatever you do, Mr. Gibbs, do not push!" a nurse told him. "The doctor's about to set up an IV infusion that will hopefully stop the contractions. We have a long way to go before we start delivering your baby," she reassured them. Tony sighed with relief.

"I told you, Gibbs, she's not ready to come out of the oven yet," Tony told him, squeezing his shoulder.

"We just need to do an internal, to check where the bleeding is coming from and how far dilated you are," a doctor said. "You'll have to leave," he said to Tony.

"What? No, I don't want Tony to leave!" Gibbs said, grabbing Tony's hand firmer.

"I'm staying," Tony told the doctor sternly. The doctor shrugged and set about doing an internal on Gibbs. "Does it hurt?" Tony asked Gibbs, when he saw Gibbs wince.

Gibbs actually wanted to give Tony a "what do you think" look, but instead he just grimaced again. "yeah."

"Okay," the doctor said. "You've got some residual bleeding, but nothing major. The drugs should stop your contractions, but let us know if they continue." Then he left. Tony helped Gibbs put his legs back down and regain some of his dignity.

"Does that mean, we're out of the woods?" Tony asked the nurse who'd stayed with them.

"We're not yet, but unless your partner continues to get contractions, there's something else we can try, so don't worry. Like I said, we're not about to deliver this baby just yet," she replied.

"Well, are you still having them, Gibbs?" Tony asked.

Gibbs took deep breath. "I don't think so." He exhaled slowly, then inhaled and then stopped. "Ah, dammit, they're still there..."

"Okay,," the nurse said, "we'll give the medicine time to work, but let me know if they get any stronger and if you feel the urge to push."

"Do you have the urge to push, Gibbs?" Tony asked, scared and curious at the same time.

"Gosh, Tony, I don't know...this is kinda knew to me..." he suppressed a yell. "God, I really hope this isn't getting any more painful..."

The nurse chuckled. "First baby?" she asked. "It always seem that much more painful to men than women," she whispered to Tony.

"Probably because it is," Tony snapped, he didn't appreciate her attitude when his partner and baby were in trouble.

"I'll get the doctor, they should have eased off by now," she said and left the room.

"This is all my fault, I'm sorry, Gibbs, I knew not to stress you out and I did, I'm so sorry. If I've killed our baby, I'll never forgive myself," Tony said, starting to cry.

Gibbs put a hand on Tony's face. "Tony, stop blaming yourself. It wouldn't have gotten this far if I had listened about Ringwald...You can't keep me save from everything. This is not your fault." He tried to breath through the pain. "And she'll live. I know it, Tony. She has to."

Before Tony could say anything, the nurse and doctor reappeared. "I hear you're still experiencing contractions. I can give you an injection; it should stop the pre-term labour, but does carry some risks to the unborn baby. That's why we usually leave it as a last resort."

"What sort of risks?" Tony asked, concerned.

"There's a risk of small amounts of brain damage or developmental delay," the doctor explained. "Only happens in a very small percentage."

"Gibbs?" Tony turned to Gibbs to help them make this decision together.

"What if we don't do it...what if I get the baby now?" Gibbs asked. He didn't want the child to be handicapped, but he'd rather have it handicapped than dead.

"If your contractions continue, we'll have to give you a steroid to help the baby's lungs develop. There's a chance that won't work and your child would be born unable to breathe. They would spend the next four months of their life in the NICU, possibly on a ventilator and even then, there's no guarantee they would survive or not have the same kind of problems taking the drug could cause," the doctor explained.

Gibbs looked at Tony, "ok, I guess, we'll take the drug then..."

Tony nodded and looked to the doctor, who said, "I'll go and prepare the injection. The nurse will help you roll over, I'm afraid, I need to inject it into a thick muscle, like that on your buttocks."

Tony squeezed Gibbs' hand and helped him roll over while the nurse helped by opening the back of his gown and easing down his boxers. "Feeling exposed?" Tony joked.

"Not really my main concern, right now." Gibbs muttered.

The doctor came back and said, "sharp stab," before stabbing the needle into Gibbs' backside. "The contractions should stop within the next fifteen minutes. Let me know if they continue. If they don't, we'll move you up to the OB floor where you'll be seen by your regular doctor."

"Let me know if they don't stop, Gibbs," Tony said, helping him roll back onto his back.

"Ok." Gibbs agreed breathless. He winced at the pain in his butt as he lay back down, though it was just the tip of the ice berg.

Several minutes later Gibbs felt the pain ease and his breathing became easier. He sighed. Feeling no pain actually felt really good and he wondered why he usually didn't appreciate it as much.

Twenty minutes after the contractions stopped, Gibbs and Tony were in an elevator being transferred up to the OB ward. Gibbs' regular OB had been called and informed of the situation and was waiting to see Gibbs once he arrived on the floor.

"You're sure they've stopped?" Tony asked for the tenth time, still worrying that things weren't over yet.

"Do you see me writhing in pain?" Gibbs asked annoyed but relieved. "Believe me, I'd know if they hadn't stopped."

"I guess not," Tony admitted as the doors open and he walked alongside Gibbs' bed as they were wheeled towards a room.

Once they reached their room, and Gibbs was transferred over to the bed, their regular OB came into the room and looked from Gibbs to Tony. "Let me guess, you were arguing about a case? Gibbs got stressed out? I've told you once, if not a thousand times, you can not get stressed out, in lots of cases of MSG stress equals a miscarriage. You were lucky today, but from your blood results and the residual bleeding, I'm putting you on bed rest for the rest of your pregnancy," she told them. "I mean, total bed rest. Only getting up to pee and no fun stuff in bed either!"

"For four months?!" Tony gasped.

"Yes, the whole of his pregnancy," she reiterated.

Gibbs grunted his displeasure. "You're kidding me, right? I was getting tensed by having nothing to do as it was already. I can't spend four months in bed!"

"You have no choice. You want to continue with this pregnancy or should I book a delivery room now?" the doctor asked, deadly serious.

Gibbs, taken aback by the doctor's mood nodded. "Ok, four months bed rest it is, then."
Chapter 7 by ghosts_joey
Tony picked up the phone and dialled the area code for Stillwater, Pennsylvania. He knew that he should ask Gibbs' permission first, but with him sleeping most of the time it was hard to find a chance between work to actually ask him. He listened to the phone ring, and on the fourth ring it was picked up. "General Store, Jackson speaking," the voice said.

"Jackson, it's Tony DiNozzo, from your son's work?" Tony replied.

"Oh yes, what can I do for you? Leroy's okay?" Jackson replied, sounding concerned.

"Yeah, he's fine, it's just...he's, er..."

"Spit it out, boy before you choke on it."

"He's pregnant, five months along...just got out of the hospital actually after a close call and he's been put on bed rest for the rest of the pregnancy, I was hoping you might be able to come down and help us out, since I'm at work most of the day," Tony rambled.

"Pregnant? He's got that MGS thing? Well, that's all very good, but where's the father? Why isn't he telling me this himself?" Jackson asked.

"I'm the father, sir. He would have told you, I'm sure, but you know that Gibbs doesn't like to ask for help and I thought you should know and if you were able to, help out."

"I'd love to...expect me in the next few days, as soon as I can find some one to cover the store," Jackson and hung up. Tony held the phone out and realised where Gibbs got the habit of hanging up on people from. He was about to creep out to work when he heard Gibbs call him from the bedroom. Damn, he hoped he hadn't woken him.

Gibbs shifted in the bed. It's been only a few days since he got home from the hospital and yet he was really annoyed with this. He slept quite a lot. The doctor had prescribed him something and somehow it made him extremely tired. "Tony!" He called out, hoping the other man hadn't left for work yet.

"I'm here, Gibbs, I didn't wake you, did I? I tried to keep my voice down," Tony said, walking into the bedroom.

"No, you didn't ... keep your voice down? Have you been on the phone? Did you guys get a case?" Gibbs jumped on the new information. "You know, I've been thinking, I can't get out of bed, but I could still go through some cold cases. So, if you'd just bring me some files in your lunch break..."

Tony rolled his eyes. "You are NOT working a case, active or otherwise, how many times do we have to go through this? Anyway, I was speaking to your father," Tony revealed.

Gibbs sat up straight. "You did what? Why on earth would you talk to my father? Did he call? Did you tell him I'm pregnant?"

Tony sat down on the edge of the bed and sighed. "I called him, I don't like leaving you here alone all day so I explained the situation and as soon as he gets someone to cover the store, he's coming to stay for the next four months," Tony told him, hoping Gibbs wouldn't rip him a new one for overstepping the mark.

"Wha- , I-...Tony!" Gibbs half yelled and half whined. "Why did you do that? I don't need a baby sitter! I've been in bed like the doctor told me to." Gibbs fell back into the pillows. "He'll be over-caring. It'll be like having two of your sort around the house. I'll go crazy."

"Look at it from my point of view, this way I won't have to worry about you buying a police scanner and hoping over to every crime scene we attend, and it's only been a few days, pretty soon boredom is going to set in and you'll be grateful for the company," Tony said. "Besides, I thought you'd like to have him around for the birth of his second grandchild. And it's not like we can call my father."

Gibbs muttered something incoherently. "Yeah, I guess...I did mean to tell him, just not right now. He'll worry and all and he's not the youngest either...But I guess it'll be fine to have someone around when you're at work..." He still wasn't completely happy about it, but accepted his fate.

A few days later, Tony was just getting ready to leave for work - he'd arranged to come in late until Jackson arrived so that he didn't leave Gibbs alone all day, hopefully when Gibbs' father arrived, he'd feel comfortable about working all day - there was a knock at the door. Tony stopped what he was doing and went to answer it, Gibbs was still sleeping, whatever drugs they'd given him to take at home they were knocking him out most nights and during the day.

"I guess I should say, Congratulations!" Jackson Gibbs said, when Tony opened the door.

"Jackson, you made it!" Tony exclaimed, pulling the older man into a hug. "Gibbs is still sleeping, he should be up around midday, and he'll be grouchy because he's not allowed any coffee, but there's some calamine tea he can have. Let me show you around."

Tony led Jackson round the house, helping him put his stuff in the guest room, before letting him look in on a sleeping, very pregnant Gibbs. His tops were now too small to cover his large bump. "He looks more than five months gone to me!" Jackson mumbled.

"I know, the doctor's said it's mostly water weight because he's not up and about anymore, except to pee and stuff," Tony explained. They moved away from Gibbs' doorway and were about to head downstairs when Gibbs called out to Tony.

Did he hear the younger man move around? He glanced at the alarm clock next to the bed. Maybe Tony left later than usual. "Tony?"

"Yeah, Gibbs, I'm here and so is your father, he just arrived," Tony said, heading back to the bedroom, with Jackson on his tail. "What's up?"

"I just wanted to know if you're still around..." Gibbs said towards Tony. "Dad." He then greeted shortly and tried to pull down his shirt, though it didn't really work out. "And I meant to tell you to bring me a couple of new t-shirts. Maybe a size bigger this time...or two sizes..."

"I'll see what I can do," Tony said, smiling. He looked at his watch and then leaned down to kiss Gibbs' cheek, "I have to get going or Vance'll have my ass."

"See you tonight, Tony, thanks for the guided tour, I'm sure I'll find everything I need," Jackson said, watching the affection between the two men and approving. His son seemed happy with the situation, which made him happy too.

"Yeah, thanks again for coming, Jackson. I'll be back around five, if not a bit later," Tony said and then headed out of the bedroom door. A few moments later, they heard the front door slam shut and a car pull out of the driveway.

Jackson looked at his son, this should be interesting, he thought.

"So," Gibbs started and tried to think of a subject. "How are things?"

"They're fine, Leroy. What about this?" Jackson said, motioning to the huge belly. "When were you going to call and tell me you're about to give me another grandchild?"

Gibbs sighed. "Well, I planned to tell you when things had calmed down a little. It's been like a rollercoaster. Me getting pregnant accidently, having complications twice, leading to bed rest and the whole thing with Tony and me being a couple...it's been a little much and I wanted everything to be as normal as it gets before I call you. I didn't mean to freak you out by telling you that I'm at the hospital..."

"Start from the beginning and tell me everything, I'm going to be a grandfather, this is GOOD news. What complications? When did you find out? How long have you and Tony been seeing each other?" Jackson asked.

"Well, I'm five months along, as Tony surely told you and um...Tony and I are seeing each other for the same time. It was our first night together...After five weeks, Tony and I had an argument and I got stressed out. I had some cramps and they had to bring me to the hospital. That's basically what happened about two weeks ago, just that it wasn't just cramps but actual pre-term labour. They could stop it, but the doctor was pretty pissed with me and now I'm chained to the bed." Gibbs shrugged a little.

Jackson sighed. "Well, Tony seems committed," he said, trying to pry more information out of his son.

"Oh, yeah, he is...actually he was the first to say I love you...I had some issues with that." Gibbs chuckled helplessly "I actually seem to be the only one with issues. I mean, Tony had huge issues with it in the beginning. He didn't want the baby...but once he actually realized that he did want it, he was like this. An over-caring, over-protective mother-hen."

"Wait, he didn't want the baby, why ever not?" Jackson asked. "I mean, only if you want to tell me, not if it's too personal, after all I'm only your father." He winked at Gibbs.

Gibbs smiled slightly. Maybe having Jackson around wasn't that bad of an idea. "Tony and I had only a one night stand." Gibbs admitted. "When I told him, well, he freaked out. He thought it would be a mistake and that he's not ready to have a kid, especially not with me...well, obviously he changed his mind."

"That's good, you sure he's committed, because I'm not above having a word in his ear about how important this grandchild is and it needs two committed parents and would do better with one committed if the other was just staying around on a whim," Jackson said, seriously. "Though, I saw the way he looked at you before he left and I'd say that boy reeks of commitment."

Gibbs shook his head. "No need for a talking to. Tony's really into this. If anything these complications showed that to me. You should have seen the look on his face. He was actually terrified of losing the baby, and me, for that matter. He cried because he thought he had caused the complications. He didn't...not really. I mean, sure I was arguing with *him* but it was my own pig headedness that brought it that far." Gibbs sighed, but it turned into a yawn. "Damn those drugs."

"Well, I better let you sleep, I'll keep myself busy by unpacking and doing some housework. You need me, you just call," Jackson said, getting ready to leave his son to rest




Tony sighed, they hadn't had a proper case since before Gibbs went on sick leave, and with him coming in late it was stopping them from being called out on active cases. Hopefully, now that Jackson had arrived he could start working a full day and they could get back to working active cases rather than looking for leads in cold cases. Tony sighed again, as he flipped through the case file for a case that went cold before he even started working at NCIS. He looked up as the elevator doors pinged open.

Fornell stormed into the bullpen, looking at Gibbs' deserted desk. "Where the hell is he?" He barked.

"Well, hello to you too, Agent Fornell," Tony started. "Gibbs isn't here, he's on sick leave, thanks to you."

"I'm not in the mood to play games, DiNotzo. Gibbs doesn't take sick leave. So? MTAC? Coffee run? Where?" Fornell asked again, not believing Tony.

"I'm deadly serious, thanks to you, he went into pre-term labour and has been ordered to stay in bed for the rest of the pregnancy," Tony snapped back. He still hadn't forgive Fornell for causing the argument that had nearly cost him his unborn child.

Fornell narrowed his eyes on him. "I need to ask him a few questions." He said and then shrugged. "Well, I'll see him at his home then. However, I need to ask you a few questions, too."

"You can ask me what the hell you want, but you leave Gibbs alone, he gets stressed out and that baby might come today and as I have a vested interest in that not happening, you'll have to go through me before you get to see Gibbs," Tony told him, narrowing his own eyes and giving Fornell his best glare.

Fornell raised an eyebrow at the threat. If Gibbs was really critical enough the questioning would have to wait. "I'll get his record checked. If he really turns out as sick as you make it seem..." He trailed off. Instead he pulled out a sheet of paper. It was Gibbs' phone record from the day they had interrogated Ringwald. "Do you see anything interesting there?" He asked and held it out to Tony.

Tony ran his eyes over the paper Fornell was holding out and immediately spotted the number he called after they'd interrogated Ringwald, but said, "not really, why? Should I?" He figured it was best to feign ignorance rather than let on he knew how deep in the shit Gibbs was right now.


Fornell pointed at the number Tony had already spotted. "That is in fact, Thomas Cline. He was doing time between 1993 and 1999, in the same prison Ringwald was." He leaned a little closer, "Now why would Gibbs call Cline?"

"Was Cline in the Marines?" Tony asked, knowing full well he was. "If he was, then maybe he and Gibbs served together and kept in touch, nothing illegal about that."

"You know it isn't as easy as that. Gibbs called Cline so he would tell his inmate friends what Ringwald was in for."

"Now, Fornell, do you have a recording of their phone call?" Tony asked. Fornell shook his head. "Exactly, so how do you know what they talked about? And more to the point, how would you prove that's what they talked about?"

"You do know that there is something like circumstantial evidence..." Fornell started but Tony was quick to interrupt.

"Which wouldn't hold up in a court of law. I suggest you give up on this and go back to chasing real criminals, rather than a pregnant man who's done nothing wrong, other than serve his country in the Marines and also as an NCIS agent...besides, you know what Ringwald did? Name on jury member who wouldn't agree with what Gibbs allegedly did? You wouldn’t get a conviction and you know it," Tony told him, smugly.

Fornell chewed his tongue angrily. Then he grabbed the piece of paper and turned. "You know, DiNotzo, just so you have an idea who you're getting involved with here. This whole investigation didn't come from me. I would have dropped it ages ago. It came from higher up. Gibbs is like a splinter in some people's finger and they'd be more than happy to get rid off him, one way or another." He shook his head. "This won't be the last time, you better tell him to stay clean." With that he turned and left the office.

Tony sighed as he watched Fornell leave, he better call Gibbs and let Jackson know that Fornell might try and question Gibbs, he picked up the phone and dialled the number from memory.

"Gibbs residence, Jackson speaking?" Jackson answered the phone before it would wake his son.

"Hey Jackson, is Gibbs asleep?" Tony asked.

"Yeah, he's out cold. Something wrong, Tony?"

"I just had a visit from an FBI agent looking to speak to Gibbs, he's pretty riled up about something Gibbs did and he may try and come round to question him, which would not be advisable in his state, so just screen all his visitors until I get home."

"Oh, that won't be any problem, dead boy. You know how persuasive I can be. And I have orders from a doctor and a federal agent. The FBI would have to have a warrant to get into this house." Jackson assured Tony.

"Thanks, Jackson, I should be home around five, unless we get a case," Tony said, hanging up and getting back to work.


Gibbs lay in bed bored. He skimmed through the TV, trying to find something remotely interesting. He couldn't watch the news anymore, having seen more of them in the last weeks than in his life.

Jackson moved around the kitchen, preparing dinner for his two boys. He really enjoyed being there for his son and he enjoyed seeing him happy again with Tony. They had gone through a lot, he knew that, but now everything seemed to go well, and hopefully it would stay that way for the rest of the pregnancy.

Tony walked in through the door and dumped his bag on the floor, as well as taking off his jacket. He could smell something cooking and went to investigate. "You don't have to cook for us, Jackson," Tony said, when he saw it was Jackson preparing dinner for them. "How's Gibbs been today?" he asked, pouring himself a cup of coffee from the percolator and taking a sip.

"Sleeping most of the time and grumpy the rest of the time." Jackson smiled. "But he's actually fine. And of course I had to cook. You work all day, you shouldn't be standing in the kitchen afterwards and Jethro can't cook, and you two shouldn't eat as much take out. And yes, I do know about it. I saw all the menus!" Jackson pointed a finger at Tony warningly. "That will have to change. Children need proper food, and so do you."

"Yes, sir!" Tony said, wishing he'd found a better hiding place for the take out menus. He left Jackson alone to head upstairs to see if Gibbs was awake. He found him staring into the distance with the TV set off. "You okay?” he asked him.

Gibbs sighed annoyed. "I'm bored."

"Take up knitting or something. Which reminds me, Abby showed me the booties and hat she'd knitted for the baby, she still wants to know if it's a boy or a girl," Tony joked.

Gibbs grinned, patting the bed beside him so Tony would sit. "Tell me what's going on at the office. McGee already crazy with you being boss?"

"Ziva asks every day when your time is up. She wants that baby born more than you do! McGee's alright, he just annoys me when he tells me him and Abby have been researching all that could go wrong with MGS, he doesn't seem to get that I don't want to know what could go wrong when so much has already," Tony told him, laying next to Gibbs and putting his hand on his enlarged belly. "Is she awake?"

"Oh, yeah. She's been kicking me all day." Gibbs smiled and put his hand on Tony's. "How are you getting along with Vance? Any problems?"

"She never kicks for me," Tony said, pouting, but as he spoke she kicked and he felt it. "Aww, I think she knows I'm her daddy!" Tony smiled and leaned down to kiss Gibbs belly and then made his way up to kiss Gibbs' cheek. "Vance is Vance, he's looking for a way to make it so I can't get time off when she's born, but I'd quit before I missed out on that leave I'm due. It almost makes me miss Jenny because at least she would have been understanding about all this," he said, then thought for a moment. "Take that back, she'd been jealous it was me and you and not her and you."

"Oh, yeah. You wouldn't be happy having her as director right now. She'd put the team on desk work for as long as legally possible, believe me. She had me figured out right away. That's why she put you on Jeanne. Gotta admit, it nearly worked. I started to get really pissed with you and I nearly fired you once or twice." He sighed. "Glad I didn't."

"Still, I'd prefer Morrow, whatever happened to him, anyway?" Tony asked, referring to the director that had been in office when he was brought in to NCIS from Baltimore PD. As they were talking the baby kicked again and Tony started making baby noises to Gibbs' stomach.

"He's deputy director of homeland security and believe me, I'd prefer him, too...I always knew how to work him." He watched Tony making strange noises at the baby. "Ok, I'll let that slide as long as she's in there 'cause there's no way she hears anything but your voice, but as soon as she's out you'll talk like a human being to her."

"Am I you dada?" Tony was saying, then he heard what Gibbs had said. "Yeah, I will," he told him. "Anyway, your dad's probably done with dinner...I'll go see if he needs any help and bring yours up to you. Want me to eat with you again?"

"I'd want to sit at an actual table for once, but since I can't have that...how about you bring in the small table from the spare room and you and dad both eat in here? I hate it that he has to eat alone when you're eating with me." Gibbs offered.

"Sounds like a plan," Tony said and went downstairs to make it happen. They all ate dinner in Gibbs' room and once they were done, Tony offered to do load the dishwasher so that Gibbs and Jackson could have some time alone to talk.

Gibbs lay back on the hospital bed. He had been annoyed that Tony had called an ambulance to bring him to the hospital for the check up. However, he could barely sit up anymore with all the weight he had gained and he didn't think he could get into the car - or out of it.

Tony was pacing around the room, waiting for their doctor to appear. Gibbs had been on bed rest for the past two months and as time went on he was getting more grouchy without his coffee and the ability to work on his boat, but Tony had told him time and time again that he could barely stand and there was no way he could reach the boat to work on it. "Only two more months of this and we'll have our daughter," Tony told Gibbs to hopefully cheer him up a little as he'd seemed less than impressed when the medical transport arrived to take him to the hospital for a check up.

"Two months seem like an eternity." Gibbs muttered, looking around. "Where the hell is the doctor, anyway?"

"She'll be along in a minute," Tony mumbled. "Is she awake?"

"Well, she hasn't kicked me yet." Gibbs said, sounding a little worried. Ultra sounds always made him nervous.

"She's probably sleeping," Tony reassured Gibbs. Just then, the doctor appeared.

"How are we all feeling today" she asked.

"I'm fine, but grumpy there might try and convince you that bed rest is not needed for the last two months," Tony replied, smiling

Gibbs rolled his eyes when the doctor said 'we' when she actually meant 'you'. And then threw an evil look at Tony. Ok, so maybe that was what he was going to do, so what? "I'm ok." Gibbs answered. "Just have to pee like every five minutes."

"It's because baby is sitting on your bladder," the doctor said, "now, time for your check up. I need to do a quick internal to check everything's okay there. You've had no pains or anything else since your last check up?"

"Nah, just when she kicks me, but that's alright. She's a pain in the ass, just like her dad." He grinned.

The doctor helped Gibbs get into position and then did the internal, after five minutes she said. "You can put your legs down now, everything’s fine. I'll call the transport to come and take you home and I'll see you in two weeks."

Gibbs was relieved that everything was alright. He let Tony and an orderly help him into a wheelchair and then onto the gurney of the ambulance. His stomach started hurt a little from the sitting up and lying down.

Once they got home, Jackson greeted them with a late lunch. "What did the doctor say?" he asked as they sat down at the table to eat. Tony was giving Gibbs a reprieve from eating in bed seeing as he'd been up and about for the hospital visit.

"Everything's ok." Gibbs answered and then took a deep breath. His stomach was hurting quite a bit by now. "Actually, I'm not really hungry." He said.

"You want to head upstairs and lie down?" Tony asked, looking concerned. Maybe the hospital trip had tired Gibbs out more than he originally thought.

Gibbs was about to nod, but suddenly a stabbing pain went through him. He cried out at the sudden pain.

"What's wrong? Gibbs?" Tony asked, standing up and heading over to where Gibbs was sitting.

Gibbs grabbed the table for support. "Tony, I think....arg..."

Jackson stood up and went to the phone, "I'm calling an ambulance," he told Tony.

Tony supported Gibbs. "Does it feel like it did when you were in labour before?" he asked, worrying

Gibbs' jaw was set as he tried to suppress a cry. He nodded.

"At least your water's haven't broke-" Tony started, when water stared to drip from Gibbs' pants. "Oh Christ! Jackson tell the dispatcher, he's in pre-term labour and his water's have broken!"

"So much for bed rest!" Gibbs muttered annoyed about himself that he hadn't realized it earlier, but another contraction squeezed in him.

"It's going to be fine, Gibbs," Tony told him. "Just because she's coming today doesn't mean she won't be okay."

"The ambulance is on it's way," Jackson reported. "I'll go back a bag for you. Do you need anything specific?"

"PJ, towels, underwear...Gibbs muttered, trying to remember, "toiletries...doesn't really matter...we can get it later." He said between pants.

"Okay," Jackson said, leaving the room.

"Let me time them," Tony said, "tell me when the next one finishes and I'll see how far apart they are."

Gibbs took a deep breath..."I think that was one..." He breathed deeply..."Arg, there's another he finally said."

"That's nine minutes, man, she's coming quickly. If that Ambulance doesn't hurry up, I'll be delivering her myself!" Tony joked, but he was pretty worried. He looked out the window in time to see the Ambulance round the corner. "Come on, let's get you to the door, they're here. JACKSON! The Ambulance is here."

"I've got your bag. You want me to come and wait or stay here and wait?" he asked Gibbs.

"No room in the ambulance....we'll send McGee over to pick you up." Gibbs promised as he was already helped onto the gurney. The EMTs quickly checking his blood pressure and pulse.

"How frequent is he?" One of them asked Tony.

"Nine minutes to the second," Tony replied.

"How many months?" the paramedic asked.

"Seven, we just got back from a check up when this happened. His waters broke," Tony told him. They loaded Gibbs into the ambulance and Tony quick dialled McGee to inform him of what was going on and to pass onto Vance that Tony would be taking his leave from today and also to ask him to bring Jackson to the hospital. Before long they were speeding towards the hospital, there would be no attempts to stop the labour now that Gibbs' waters had broken, their daughter was being born today and Tony prayed to a God he only spoke to on special occasions to ask that he allow them to have their daughter delivered safe and healthy. "How you holding up, Gibbs?"

"It hurts." Gibbs admitted. "But the pain between the contractions isn't as bad as it was last time." He said, being a little relieved. He knew the birth would hurt like hell, but this seemed a little more text book than the false alarm before.

"Well, once you've been checked over, they can give you something to help with the pain," the paramedic said, smiling.

"How close are we?" Tony asked.

"We should be there in a few minutes."

"Okay, is his OB meeting us on the labour and delivery ward?" Tony asked.

"I should expect so," the paramedic informed him.

"Okay, she knows your case, Gibbs, she'll sort you out. Just think about meeting our daughter and you'll get through this," Tony told Gibbs, trying not to panic, but failing.

Gibbs nodded. "Tony, make sure they don't give me anything that could harm the baby. I don't want any more risks for her. I don't care how much it'll hurt. She has to come out ok." He said with slight panic in his voice.

"I promise I won't, Gibbs and you can squeeze my hand the whole way through," Tony reassured Gibbs. They arrived at the hospital and were rushed up to a delivery room. Gibbs was taken straight in, but Tony had to stop and gown up. He didn't have a chance to tell Gibbs he would be there in a second and he was worried Gibbs would think he'd abandoned him.

Everything happened in a rush and it wasn't before he had been pushed into the delivery room and actually stood that he tried to reach for Tony's hand, but didn't find it. He looked around. "Where's Tony?" He grabbed a nurse by her scrubs. "Where's my partner?" He barked.

"He's just getting scrubbed up," the nurse replied, shocked by Gibbs' tone. "Now we need to get you undressed and into a gown."

Tony rushed into the delivery room all ready just as they were lifting a naked-except for the gown, Gibbs onto the delivery table. His legs were put in stirrups and a midwife was talking to him. Tony took his place by Gibbs' side and grabbed his hand and gave it a little squeeze to let him know he was there.

Just as the midwife stopped talking, the doctor arrived. "Okay, so this is a little earlier than planned, but you're six centimetres dilated, so soon you'll start pushing your daughter into the world, are you ready? Want any pain relief?"

"He wants something that won't harm the baby," Tony said.

"He can have gas and air, it's the safest pain relief during labour," the doctor said and motioned for a nurse to set it up and explain how to use it to Gibbs. "I'll be back when you're ready to push, but until then conserve your energy, we need to get little one out as quickly as possible so you'll need all that energy for pushing." With that, she left.

"Is that helping with the pain?" Tony asked Gibbs, motioning to the mouth piece now between Gibbs' teeth.

Gibbs shrugged a little, not really sure if he should talk with this thing in his mouth, but then he nodded as the pain subsided a little.

The doctor was back two hours later when it was time for Gibbs to start pushing their daughter into the world. "Okay, guys, this is it. The head is out so the hard part is over, I need one last big push from you, Jethro and your daughter will be born," she told Gibbs.

Tony helped Gibbs sit up and held his hand as he pushed hard. After a few moments, they heard a cry and then it was over. She was born.

Gibbs slumped back into the pillows and watched in awe as a nurse held out the little pink - and mainly bloody red - baby for him to see. He smiled slightly as she cried full and loudly.

"You did it, Gibbs, we have a daughter!" Tony said, tears of happiness welling up in his eyes. "Can I hold her?"

"Not yet, we have to weigh her and clean her off and check her over," the doctor said and the baby disappeared from view. Tony tried to stand on his tiptoes so he could still see her, but couldn't over the huddle of medical people checking his daughter was healthy.

"Hey," Gibbs said and pulled on Tony's hand to make him kiss him. "She's alright?" He said and asked at the same time.

"I think so, we need a name...I've been thinking and I have an idea," Tony told Gibbs, giving him another kiss. He was overwhelmingly proud of Gibbs for bringing him the little, bloody, miracle.

Gibbs couldn't get the smile off his face, now that his daughter was born and healthy. "What's your idea?"

"How about Grace Kelly Gibbs?" Tony asked. He'd included Gibbs' first daughter's name so that part of her would live on with their daughter.

Gibbs looked at Tony shocked for a second, ready to snap at him for such a thought, but then he realized that Tony was trying to be supportive, and yeah, he actually like the idea. He smiled and nodded. "Grace Kelly." Then he grinned, "Wonder where you came up with Grace." He joked.

The doctor turned round, holding Grace. "She's fine, a little small, but considering she's two months premature, that's normal. She has healthy lung and heart sounds and I don't see any need for her to go to the NICU. Would you like to hold your daughter?" she said to Gibbs.

"God, yes." He said and held out his arms. He took the little bundle and smiled down at her. "Hey, Grace, welcome to the world...you've been awaited by a lot of people." He softly kissed her head. "She's so beautiful." He said with tears in his eyes as he looked up at Tony.

"Look at her, she's got your smile," Tony cooed.

The girl giggled slightly as Gibbs tickled her belly. "And your laugh." He smiled a little wider. "You want to meet your Daddy? Huh, do you?" He looked at Tony. "C'mon, I'm sure you wanna hold her.

"Erm, I do, but I've never held a baby before...I don't wanna drop her," Tony said.

"Your father wants to know if he can come in," the nurse who'd been looking after them asked.

"Sure." Gibbs said and sat up a little, carefully. "C'mon, Tony, sit down on the bed."

Jackson entered the room. "Oh my god, is that my granddaughter?" He asked, stroking over the baby's head.

"Yeah, Grace, meet your grandpa." Gibbs whispered.

"Grace?" Jackson asked.

"Grace Kelly." Gibbs added with a grin, that somehow was more an honest and tired smile.

Tony sat on the bed and Gibbs passed Grace over to him, he was a little nervous but after a few moments he felt like he had a good hold of her and his fear disappeared. "Hi, Grace, I'm your other daddy. The one that made goo goo noises at you when you were in papa's tummy," he cooed. He really couldn't believe that he was now a father. He looked at Jackson. "Would you like to hold your grand daughter?" he asked him.

"Of course I would." Jackson smiled widely and leaned his cane against the bed. He carefully took the baby from Tony. "She looks just like your mother, Leroy." Jackson said and Gibbs rolled his eyes.

"I think she looks more like Gibbs than me," Tony added. A nurse appeared in the doorway.

"We're going to move you and your daughter to a room now, if that's okay," she said.

"Can I carry the baby?" Jackson asked.

"No, it's hospital policy that she needs to be moved in the crib, just in case of any accidents," she told him. Jackson passed Grace to the nurse, who then put her down into the see through crib and a porter pushed her and Gibbs' bed along to their new room.

Once there Tony picked up his daughter and gazed at her, Gibbs yawned. "Are you tired?" Tony asked him.

"I just gave birth. What do ya think, Tony?" Gibbs asked but sat up anyway to look at his daughter.

"I can give Grace her first feed, if you want to catch some sleep. I'll stay here until you wake up, I promise. I wouldn't want Grace to be on her own, her first night in the big wide world," Tony replied.

Gibbs nodded. The others would have to wait for tomorrow, he was tired as hell.

Ziva, McGee, Abby and Ducky were waiting for visiting hours to officially start before going into Gibbs' room, where Tony and Grace were also sleeping. Tony had called them all late the previous night to let them know that Grace Kelly Gibbs had made an appearance into the world two months early, but was still healthy and happy. Abby had brought the clothes she'd knitted and had taken McGee and Ziva shopping that morning for presents for the new family. Jackson had left late the night before and had said he would come in the following afternoon.

Once the clock struck midday, Abby burst into the room where Gibbs was giving Grace her lunch time bottle. "Baby! Little Grace! Love the name, by the way, can I hold her?" she asked, making a bee line for Gibbs and Grace. Tony was still passed out in a chair next to Gibbs' bed.

Gibbs looked her up and down. "Take off the collar, then you can hold her. I don't want you to poke out her eyes." He put down the bottle and raised her to his shoulder to help her burp.

Ziva snorted when she saw Tony, "He looks like he was the one who went through labour,"

Abby took off her collar and picked up Grace. "Ooo, she's so sweet, she has your smile, Gibbs, her little eyes light up. She's beautiful, congratulations!"

"Here," McGee said, handing Gibbs a bag containing his present. "Should I wake Tony?"

"No, he's been up all night with her while I slept." Gibbs said but knew it was only a matter of minutes before Tony woke up. "And thanks for the presents; I'll wait till Tony's up to open them."

Ziva added her present to the small pile on Gibbs bed. "Would you mind if I held her?" she asked Gibbs. Before he could answer, Tony opened his eyes and yawned.

"Ah, you're all here, now where's my precious daughter?" he said.

"I've got Grace," Abby said, "want me to hand her over?"

"Yeah, I need a morning snuggle after all the screaming she did last night. I have to know she hasn't grown to hate me in the last few hours," Tony said, taking Grace from Abby. "Ooo...presents. Can we open them?"

Gibbs chuckled. "I only waited for you to wake up. Oh, and you can hand her to Ziva, as soon as you reassured yourself that she still loves you." He shook his head, "I swear, that DiNozzo-charm seems to be very effective on every single Gibbs you meet. She wasn't crying that much."

"Okay, Ziva, you can have a cuddle, she still loves me," Tony said, handing Grace over and diving for the presents. "Whose this one from?" he asked holding up a badly wrapped present.

"That would be me," Ziva replied.

"Oh, okay." Tony opened the present and in it was an outfit for Grace and a book called "What to expect the first year". "Thanks, Ziva, she'll look adorable in that! Your turn, Gibbs," he said, as he showed the outfit to Gibbs.

Gibbs grabbed the bag McGee had brought. Quickly he unwrapped the present inside and grinned. "A little NCIS jacket, that's cute...where did you get it?"

"Well, got a little black jacket, that wasn't too difficult, and then I had NCIS stitched to the back. I mean, this is our first official NCIS baby, right?" He grinned a little shyly.

"Ah, that's sweet, McGoo. Thanks. You want to hold Grace?" Tony asked, taking the baby from Ziva. "Gracie, you wanna meet your Uncle Probie?"

McGee looked nervous, but Tony showed him how to hold her and pretty soon Grace was resting comfortably in his arms.

Gibbs smiled. Oh, yes, this was exactly the company in which he was comfortable to raise his daughter. "Tony, you wanna unwrap what Abby has brought?"

Tony grabbed Abby's gift, he'd seen the booties and hat that she'd knitted but she'd obviously bought more. He opened the bag and pulled out a tiny dog collar "Wow, Abs," he said, unsure of what to say. He looked to Gibbs for help.

"That...that's very nice of you...but I guess you'll understand that she can't really wear that, right? I mean..." Gibbs took the collar and twisted it between his fingers, "she could strangle herself with it."

Abby grinned. "Okay guys, quit with the worrying...I only put that in there to freak you out!"

"Okay, where's the real present?" Tony asked

"Here," Abby said, taking a package out of her pocket. She handed it to Tony who opened it. "Oh, Abby," he said, looking at the gift. It was a small, knitted teddy, in pink. “How did you know?" he asked.

"Ducky told me," Abby admitted, "I told you I'd find out somehow."

Gibbs shook his head smiling. "You really couldn't let it go, could you?" He couldn't care less, actually. "It's really cute, Abby, thank you." He looked at Tony, trying to figure out if this was the right time to talk about godfather and godmother.

Tony smiled at Abby. "Look, there was something Gibbs and I wanted to talk to you and McGoogle about, you mind giving us a minute, Ziva?"

"Not a problem, I shall get coffee for everyone, I'm sure Gibbs would like to have some after being deprived for seven months," Ziva said, leaving the room.

"Gibbs, why don't you explain?" Tony said, taking Grace from McGee as she started to cry and giving her a bottle.

"Well, you see...Tony and I have been thinking about who to make godfather and godmother of Grace...I mean, we obviously don't want Tony's father to take care of her if - god forbid- something happened to us. And my father's not the youngest anymore..." He took a deep breath, smiling slightly as he watched Tony with Grace. "We wanted to ask you guys if you wanted to take the job."

"I'd love to!" Abby and McGee said at the same time. Tony smiled. "See, Grace, they're already jumping in line to take care of you!"

"Oh and I'm sure there'll plenty of time to babysit for the two of you." Gibbs smiled widely, happy that they wanted to do it. "Who knows, Tim, you might even impress Tony enough that he'll stop with the nicknames."

"I doubt that, McGeekle," Tony said, laughing.



Gibbs just put Grace into her crib and watched her sleep for a moment but then a wide yawn spread over his face. The little one was really keeping them on their toes, though as cliché as it sounded, she was worth every sleepless night. He sighed and carefully sneaked out of the nursery only to fall onto the bed.

Grace opened her eyes and started to cry. "I'm coming, bubba," Tony called, not knowing that Gibbs was right there. He climbed the stairs carrying a bottle. "I thought you'd put her down for the night," he asked Gibbs.

"I just did." Gibbs muttered into the pillows now that he knew Tony was taking care of her he stayed on the bed. "I think she's playing with me."

"I'll try and settle her down," Tony said, watching as Gibbs slipped into sleep. "Gracie, you need to sleep, Daddy and Papa are tired that they're falling asleep standing up!" he told his daughter as he fed her the bottle. He didn't know how Gibbs was going to cope when he went back to work in ten days. After a few moments and only a few gulps of the bottle, Grace was back to sleep and Tony was able to lie her down and grab some sleep himself. Jackson had stayed for a few days after they got home from the hospital, but had left the day before because now it was time for them to get into their own routine without any help as before long they'd both be back at work with Grace in day-care.

Gibbs sat in the car, glaring at the building he was supposed to enter with his daughter. "You checked them, right? Criminal records and all?" He asked for the tenth time.

"For the hundredth time, I checked everything, I even made McGee hack their servers," Tony said, rolling his eyes. "Now, will you hurry up or we'll be late."

Gibbs sighed and got out of the car, carefully taking Grace out of the car seat. "My little princess is going to day care." He muttered to the baby that snuggled against his shoulder. "You're going to be a very good girl, right?" He said as he walked towards the day care centre and quickly checked that Tony had the bag and was following him.

"She'll be an angel," Tony reassured, "and she'll be fine." Tony had been back at work for two months, though this was Gibbs' first day back as Grace had turned three months a few days ago and his paternity leave was up. Tony hoped that he'd get better at leaving Grace as time went on.

Once inside they had to sign some papers and then Gracy was taken from them. "We'll be back real soon, I promise, Gracy." He said kissing her good bye.

They got back in the car and headed towards the Navy Yard, once there they went inside and took their places at their desks. They had only just sat down when the phone rang and they had a case. Tony guessed that meant their lives were back to normal.
Chapter 8 Epilogue by ghosts_joey
One Year Later
Gibbs stood in the kitchen, smiling down at the chocolate cake he had made that morning. He carefully wrote with pink sugar icing on it and then pushed one candle into the cake before he carried it into the living room, where Tony, McGee, Abby, Ducky, Ziva, Palmer and Jackson were awaiting him. Grace sat on Tony's lap and started to laughed in joy as she saw the cake. "She really has your sweet tooth." Gibbs said smiling as he put down the cake.

"Well, she's definitely has your smile," Tony told him. "Now everybody, sing!" They all started to sing happy birthday to Grace, who smiled, giggled and clapped as they sang. "Gracie, blow the candle out, Daddy and Papa will help you," Tony told his daughter.

Gibbs helped Tony to hold her up and she more blew raspberries at the cake and Tony Gibbs blew out the candle. "Yay, you made it!" Gibbs said and kissed her on the cheek. "I hope you made a great wish!"

"Stay right like that!" Abby said, brandishing a camera. "I know you'll want one for the album before she demolishes that cake and ruins her dress." They all stayed close together and Abby clicked the camera, capturing forever Grace Kelly Gibbs' first birthday with her two fathers.

Four Years Later
"C'mon, honey, smile for Papa." Gibbs almost begged but the little girl with the dark brown, curly hair just shook her head. "You're right, she has my smile, it's mostly hidden." Gibbs said to Tony. "Honey, why don't you wanna smile?" He tried again but the four year old just started to pout. He sighed and looked at Tony for help.

"Tell Daddy why you don't want to smile," Tony said, pulling Grace into a hug. "You don't want to go to kindergarten?"

"I wanna go back to day care," Grace said, pouting.

Tony looked from his daughter to his partner.

Gibbs knelt down. "Why would you want to go back to day care? I thought you want to learn and study?" He said softly.

"But all my friends are there." She pouted a little more.

"You'll make new friends," Tony promised. "Now, smile for Papa."

"What if I don't make any friends?"

"You are the cutest, sweetest and funniest four year old I have ever met. Why would anyone not want to be your friend?" Gibbs asked and stroke through her hair. A little smile finally broke through. "So, can Papa take a picture for your album now?"

"Okay, Papa," Grace said, smiling as Gibbs took her picture.

"I can't believe our little girl is starting school," Tony added, checking the picture on the display.

Gibbs sighed deeply. "Yeah. In a few years she'll start college and then she'll be gone." He joked. "She really is growing up way too fast." He said with another sigh.

"Right, Honey, you ready to go to school?" Tony asked Grace. She nodded and they all got in the car, heading off to drop Grace at Kindergarten. Another momentous occasion over.

Six Years Later
Tony was doing an internet search when Gibbs' phone rang, he wasn't at his desk so it went to voice mail, but just after it stopped ringing, his own started to ring and he immediately thought of Grace. "DiNozzo," he said, answering the phone.

"Is this Grace's father?"

"Yes."

"I'm afraid Grace had an accident, she'd been taken to emergency at Bethesda."

"I'll grab my partner and be on my way."

He jumped out of his chair and rushed down the stairs to Abby's lab where Gibbs was. Once he was there, he interrupted Abby "I'm sorry, Abs, this is more important."

"What could be more important that what I've found?"

"It's Grace, she's had an accident and she's at Bethesda emergency," he told Gibbs.

"What?" Gibbs exclaimed. "Is she alright? What happened?" He already hurried Tony out of the lab and into the elevator.

"I don't know, they just told me she'd been taken to emergency. I assume she's fallen or something," he told Gibbs as they hurried out of the building towards the sedan. Gibbs got into the drivers seat and barely waited for Tony to climb into the passenger side before speeding off.

Gibbs raced through the streets and finally reached Bethesda, parking the car with squeaking tires. He rushed out of the car, into the hospital, only coming to a halt when he reached the front desk. "I'm Leroy Jethro Gibbs. We were called because of our daughter Grace Kelly Gibbs."

"Okay sir, if you take a seat, I'll just find out her condition," the receptionist said.

Gibbs looked like he was about to strangle her so Tony stepped in, "she's six, she's our daughter and we don't know what happened, so please, just let us go and see her," he pleaded.

"Sirs, you'll have to wait," she said again.

Gibbs gritted his teeth, but sat down finally.

Tony paced, and was rewarded for being up by the receptionist beckoning for him to come over. "Grace Gibbs was brought in an hour ago, she's in x-ray right now but you can go back through when she gets back."

"What happened?" Tony asked, when Gibbs joined him.

"As far as I can tell she fell over at school and hurt her arm, I'm sure she'll be okay."

Gibbs let out a breath. "By the way, next time you call the parents of a six year old, you might want to tell them at least a little bit of what happened! She could have been hit by a car or something!" He said annoyed.

"I'm sorry about that sir, I wasn't the one who made the call, I'll call back now and see if you can meet her in x-ray," she said, picking up the phone. They waited for a few minutes and then she nodded and hung up the phone.

"You can go back now," she told them, pressing the buzzers to open the doors to the ER. Tony and Gibbs rushed back and headed to the main area to find where Grace was when Tony heard,

"Daddy!" Grace called out. "I broke my wrist!"

Gibbs came to Grace a moment after Tony and therefore had to wait to hug her. "What happened, sweety?"

"Brian pushed me in recess and I fell," Grace told them.

"Are you her fathers?" the doctor asked.

"No, we're just two men that like to hang out around the ER. Of course we're her fathers!" Gibbs barked.

"What's wrong with her?" Tony asked, ignoring Gibbs' bad mood, though he didn't blame him.

"She broke her wrist when she landed, we were about to put a cast on it. Grace was about to choose a colour," he explained.

"What colour do you want, Gracie?" Tony asked her, "Does it hurt much?"

She shook her head and shrugged a little at the same time. "Hurts a little..." Then she looked at the doctor. "I think I want blue."

"Cool, let's get you all plastered up," Tony said, helping her down from the gurney and following the doctor. Gibbs held back and Tony had to call him to get him to join them. "We were worried, Gracie, they didn't tell us why you were taken to the hospital and we came straight from work and Auntie Abby is probably worrying herself stupid right now," Tony told his daughter.

"I didn't want you to worry, Daddy..." Grace said sadly.

"It's ok, Gracy, we're not mad at you." Gibbs promised.

Later when they were at home, Abby, who had come round to check on Grace, took a photo of the three of them, with Grace and her blue plaster. Another snapshot of her life captured forever.

Fifteen Years Later
Gibbs paced the living room up and down, glaring at the clock on the wall now and then. "He's late." He finally told Tony the moment it was one minute after 5 pm.

"Give the poor boy a chance," Tony replied.

"He's about to take out my little princess." Gibbs told Tony seriously. "The boy never had a chance."

"Well, can we pretend for Grace's sake that he did?" Tony half-whispered as the girl in question appeared in the doorway.

"What you think, Dad, Pa?" she asked, twirling in her dress.

Gibbs took a deep breath as he looked at his little girl, who wasn't as little anymore. "You look absolutely beautiful." He said stunned.

There was a knock at the door and Tony opened it, "Good evening, sir," Brian said, holding his hand out for Tony to shake.

"You better come in, Brian," Tony said, taking his hand. This poor boy was about to get ripped to shreds by Gibbs and from the look on his face, he knew it.

"Aren't you the boy who broke Gracy's wrist?" He asked frowning and crossing his arms over his chest.

"It was an accident," Brian said, sweating.

"Pa, that was years ago, we were six, leave the boy be," Grace said, ignoring the look her father was giving her.

"Before you go, I think Pa has some ground rules he wants to go over with your date and I want a photo," Tony said.

Gibbs nodded. "No drinking, no drugs, no smoking, you two don't go anywhere you're not allowed to, nor do you go to that hill teenagers sit around in their car kissing. And you're home by midnight." He told them, giving Brian an extra hard look. "And you better take good care of her."

"Yes, sir, of course, sir," Brian replied, taking Grace's hand.

"See you later, Pa, Dad," she said, blowing them both a kiss.

"Wait, before you go, I want a photo," Tony said, brandishing the camera. Brian and Grace posed and Tony took a picture. They left and Grace was off on her first date.

Eighteen Years Later
Gibbs sat in the audience, among hundreds of parents, with Tony by his side. Abby and McGee, were there, of course, to see the big day of their goddaughter. This was it, then. Their little girl had finished high school and would soon start college.

Tony reached for Gibbs' hand and squeezed it tightly as the announcer came close to calling Grace's name. Finally, the moment arrived. "Grace Kelly Gibbs," the announcer called and their daughter walked onto the stage. Tony leaned over to Gibbs and whispered, "can you believe she's eighteen now?"

Gibbs smiled slightly. "For me she'll always be that little pink baby, Tony." He shook his head slowly. "If anyone told me twenty years ago that you and me actually managed to raise a girl to be a smart and altogether great person, I'd have laughed at them."

"It'd be them laughing now," Tony replied. "I can't believe we actually did it, you know?"

Abby and McGee took a picture just a Grace was handed her diploma. "That'll be one for the album," Abby said, sitting back down after cheering for Grace as she crossed the stage.

"Sure will be," Tony said, thoughtfully.

After the official graduation was over they all gathered in Gibbs' garden to celebrate Grace's graduation. After three years of constant dating Gibbs even warmed up to Brian and - although he was as protective of Grace as a father could be - he and Tony actually allowed them to move in together in college.

After the all had dinner, Gibbs stood. "Gracie, you know how much Tony and I love you and we will miss you much more than you will miss us, but, still I have a little present for you, so you don't forget us." He took a thick folder and handed it to Grace. She frowned and opened it, seeing that it contained the same pictures that were in the album that stood in the living room. "Pa, you made copies of all the pictures?" She asked skimming through it. Pictures of her first ultra sound, her first birthday, her first broken bone - with x-rays, her first date with Brian, the first time she held Abby and Tim's baby and many more.

"That's so sweet, Pa." She smiled widely and gave him a tight hug, and then hugged Tony, too.
This story archived at http://www.ncisfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=3178