All Good Things... by niceguy87
Summary: This is just kinda how I envision the NCIS series would end (Its at least one scenario anyway)...
Categories: Gen, Gibbs/DiNozzo Characters: Donald Mallard, Ari Haswari, Anthony DiNozzo, Abby Sciuto, Faith Coleman, Gerald Jackson, Hollis Mann, Jeanne Benoit, Jenny Shephard, Jimmy Palmer, Kate Todd, La Grenouille, Leroy Jethro Gibbs, Michelle Lee, Mike Franks, Original character, Other, Paula Cassidy, Ron Sacks, T.C. Fornell, Timothy McGee, Tom Morrow, Vivian Blackadder, Ziva David
Genre: PWP - Plot, What Plot? , Hurt/Comfort, Humor, Holiday, Friendship, First Time, Established relationship, Episode Related, Drabble/Ficlet/Vignette, Crossover, Character study, Challenge, Case, Angst, Alternate Universe, Action, Drama, Poetry, Pre-slash, Romance, Series, Song fic, UST
Pairing: None
Warnings: Death story
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 5 Completed: Yes Word count: 15435 Read: 12970 Published: 08/06/2009 Updated: 08/17/2009
Story Notes:
This is just another idea that I had just a while ago, and I thought it would be something neat to explore, and see what happens. So just bare with me, and I hope that you guys enjoy it...

1. All Good Things... (Chapters 1, 2, & Part of 3) by niceguy87

2. All Good Things... (Chapters 3, 4, & 5) by niceguy87

3. All Good Things... (Chapters 6, 7, & 8) by niceguy87

4. All Good Things... (Chapters 9 & 10) by niceguy87

5. All Good Things... (Chapters 11 & 12) by niceguy87

All Good Things... (Chapters 1, 2, & Part of 3) by niceguy87
Author's Notes:
This is just kinda how I envision the NCIS series would end (Its at least one scenario anyway)...
"All Good Things...(Must Come To An End)"

Chapter One---

In the dimly-lit room Gibbs sat down on the edge of his bed at home, and ran a hand through his silvery-hair. He let out a long-held sigh as thoughts of his upcoming retirement ran through his mind.

He placed a hand on the suitcase behind him, and sighed to himself once more.

"One more Op--and then its all over," he thought to himself.

He stood up after a minute or so had passed and walked over to his dresser. He opened the top drawer and reached down underneath the piles of socks and underwear until his fingers wrapped around the item he was searching for.

The object he pulled out was a framed photograph of himself, Shannon, and Kelly together in the park. He had been much younger back then--much, much younger.

He studied it for a moment in silence letting his mind drift back in time to the day that the photograph was taken.

.........DREAM-LIKE SEQUENCE.........

Kelly was playing fetch with one of the other children and her dog, and the trio seemed to be having a wonderful time.

Gibbs and Shannon sat on a picnic blanket watching their daughter play.

Gibbs leaned close and kissed the nape of her neck gently.

"We should do this more often," Shannon whispered to her husband--who sat behind her.

"We will," he replied quietly.

"When?" she asked.

"As soon as I get back." he replied, as he kissed her neck again.

Shannon rolled her eyes at her husband, though she doubted that he could see her do it from his position behind her.

"You haven't told her yet, have you?" Shannon asked, referring to Kelly.

"Nope." Gibbs said, his voice growing serious.

Shannon shook her head, and let out a sigh.

"Do you have to go Jethro?" she demanded.

"You know I do," he replied. "We deploy Friday-" he started to add.

"I know, I know," she said, rolling her eyes again. "At 0700."

.........END OF DREAM-LIKE SEQUENCE.........

A lone tear rolled down his cheek, and he quickly wiped it away with the back of his hand.

After all these years later he still wished he had found someway to stay home, and not gone off to *Desert Storm*--then maybe Shannon and Kelly would still be alive...just maybe.

He cleared his throat as he shut the dresser drawer back up, and took a good look in the mirror above the dresser before heading back to his suitcase.

He gently stowed the framed photograph in the side pocket of his suitcase, and then zipped it up tight.

In just the last few years Gibbs had really began to notice how rapidly his age was beginning to set in, and how obvious it was becoming to everyone else.

He would miss NCIS once he'd finally left, and put it behind him; but there was just no way to delay the inevitable any longer. So he had agreed with Leon Vance that he would turn in his *Retirement Application* immediately following the next assignment--which just happened to be somewhat of a Black Op.




Abby sat in her office downstairs in the lab at NCIS Headquarters staring into her computer screen. She had been doing this same thing for the last three or four nights or so since Gibbs had broken the news to the team about his retirement. She hadn't been able to stop thinking about how much she was going to miss Gibbs once he left NCIS.

Everyone else had left and gone home already, but she had stayed late because in her lab she felt at peace. It was like her *Fortress of Solitude*, and it allowed her to think.

Gibbs had promised that he would come and see her every now and then, but she knew it still just wouldn't be the same. Oh, she knew he would probably make Tony promise to buy her Caf-Pows the way that he always had, but it just wouldn't be the same without *Gibbs*.

Her eyes moved from the blank computer screen to the framed photograph sitting on her desk next to the computer monitor. The photo was one that was taken a few years earlier on her birthday. Gibbs had promised to take her out somewhere special that night, and he had done just that.

In the photo she was hanging all over Gibbs, smiling her goofy goth smile, and he was just as calm as could be--a hardened ex-marine--but on that night, as evidenced in the photograph, he had smiled. It was a little smile, but a smile none the less.

She let out a long sigh as she stared at the photograph on her desk in front of her.

"It just won't be the same," she said to herself quietly.




The next day Gibbs and the team met with Director Vance in MTAC for a last minute briefing before their flight out.

"Three nights ago a U.S. satellite fell out of orbit and crash landed somwhere in Iran." Vance informed the team. "That satellite's *black box* contains top-secret--classified information."

Gibbs shifted in his seat.

"And the government wants us to get it before the Iranians do--right?" Tony asked.

"No." Vance replied.

"Then I am confused--why are we going to Iran?" Ziva asked.

Gibbs took a sip of coffee from the coffee cup in his hand.

"The Iranians already have the satellites' *black box*," Vance informed them. "SecNav wants the four of you to go to Iran, copy the information on the box, and then destroy it."

"Sounds easy enough," Tony remarked, leaning forward in his chair. "Except the part where the Iranians don't like us, and want to kill us."

Vance looked cross ways at Tony obviously not impressed by the younger special agents sense of humor.

"That's been taken care of." Vance continued. "You're going in under the cover of nuclear arms negotiations."

"In other words you'll be their guests of honor."

Director Vance reached into his coat pocket and pulled out a CD case containing some kind of CD-ROM, and handed it to McGee.

"What's this?" McGee asked, as he flipped the cd over in his hands and examined it.

"That's a crash program." Vance said, with a nod. "SecNav wants you to upload that program to the box as soon as you finish downloading its contents to this," Vance said, as he threw a small pen drive in McGee's direction.

McGee caught the pen drive in mid-air and held it up to his face.

"Anything special about this?" he asked, holding it up.

"It's coded." Vance said. "Once the data is downloaded onto it--only the CIA can unlock it."

"Great."

"You're flight leaves in 2 hours--any other questions."

Gibbs had sat quietly through the entire briefing, but now it was his turn to ask a question.

"Yeah, just one." Gibbs said, setting his coffee cup down in the seat's cup holder.

"Just one?" Vance said.

"Yeah. How do we get home once we retrieve this *black box*?" Gibbs asked.

"We have a contact currently undercover in Iran." Vance explained. "He will contact you."

"When?" Gibbs pushed Vance further.

"Don't know--but he will, and when he does he'll use a password." Vance replied. "Cobra."

"SecNav plans to extract you and your team using an Apache Helicopter, but you'll need our contacts' help to reach it--safely." Vance added.

"Great." Gibbs muttered to himself.

"If there's no other questions--then you're dismissed." Vance said, with a wave of his hand.




Chapter 2---

Gibbs and the team arrived at the airfield where they were supposed to meet their pilot, and board the private jet that would take them on the first leg of their journey.

A car pulled up to the airfield just as the pilot was boarding the jet to begin his pre-flight checklist.

It was a car that Gibbs and the team knew all too well. It was Abby's hearse.

Gibbs had not yet boarded the plane yet, and waited to see what Abby wanted before he did.

Abby scrambled out of her hearse quickly, and ran towards Gibbs at full speed. Gibbs welcomed her with open arms. The forensic specialist through her arms around her boss, and hugged him tight.

"Abs, what're you doing here?" Gibbs asked, as he looked at the young woman.

"I had to say goodbye." Abby replied quietly.

"Why goodbye?" he asked, with a confused look.

"I just--I just have a really bad feeling ya know," she said, looking into her boss' piercing blue eyes. "That something bads' gonna happen to one you guys."

Gibbs hugged Abby tight for a moment as the two of them stood there together. The roar of the plane's engine behind them threatening to shatter their ear drums.

"If we make it," Gibbs whispered in her ear. "I'll call you."

Abby looked up at her boss with those fierce green eyes of hers.

"And if you don't?" she asked, in a low voice.

"Vance will tell you." he replied, in a whisper.

Gibbs placed a kiss, as he always did, gently against Abby's cheek. She held her hand over the spot where he'd kissed her as she watched her boss board the plane, and close the door.

Within minutes they were up in the air, and gone.



"It should be about 4 1/2 hours til reach the first lay over." the pilot told Tony, who had stuck his head into the cockpit area of the plane.

Tony flashed the pilot a thumbs up and then backed out of the cockpit.

"Pilot says we'll put in at the first lay over in about 4 1/2 hours boss." Tony informed Gibbs as he took his seat directly across from his boss.

Gibbs nodded as he leaned back into his seat trying to find a comfortable position.

"Hey boss, what was that all about back there--you know with Abby?" Tony asked, quietly.

"I'll explain later." Gibbs said plainly.

Tony nodded. He knew when to push and when to lay off, and this was one of those times for the latter.

Behind Tony and Gibbs the other two members of their team sat dwelling on their own thoughts.

"Are you alright McGee?" Ziva asked, looking across the aisle at Tim.

"Yeah, why?" McGee said, not looking away from the two items, in his hands, that Director Vance had given him.

"You just seem--a little tense." Ziva replied.

"Its just this whole assignment," Mcgee started, looking across at Ziva. "Something just doesn't feel right, ya know."

"I am not sure I understand what you mean." Ziva said.

"I mean--you know--there's just too many gaps in the whole thing." McGee said.

"Gaps?" Ziva repeated quizically.

"Yeah, you know--Gaps." McGee said. "Things are supposed to be there, but aren't."

Ziva shook her head at Mcgee still unsure that she was understanding him correctly.

"Look McGee, I ran hundreds of missions just like this with Mossad." Ziva said, leaning over. "We go in, get the intel, and get out."

McGee did not look or feel as sure as Ziva did.

"That easy hunh?"

"Well, maybe not for you--exactly--but yeah." she replied.

McGee shook his head hopelessly, and let out a long sigh.




When they finally reached the lay over point the pilot stepped out of the cockpit area with a small, letter-sized package under his arm.

He handed the package to Gibbs.

"Your director asked me to give this to you when we got here." The pilot said. "And he also said to make sure you open it before de-boarding."

"Hmm." Was the sound that came from Gibbs' lips as he tore open the letter-sized package.

The pilot walked past the group and headed towards the back of the plane.

Gibbs turned the package upside down and dumped out its contents into his lap.

"Passports?" Tony remarked, as he reached over to pick one up.

There were four passports in all--one blue, one red, one green, and one black.

Tony examined the red passport that he now held in his hand, and then slowly opened it up.

"Aleana Gavish." Tony said aloud. "Personal Translator."

"What?" McGee said, leaning closer for a better look.

"Hmm, kinda looks like you Ziva." Tony said.

"Let me see that." She said, as she reached out and snatched the passport away from her partner.

Tony was right it did look like her. In fact it was HER.

Gibbs found a folded up note up under the pile of passports in his lap. He unfolded it carefully and read it.

After a few moments Gibbs looked up from the note.

"These are our new identities." he said.

He handed out the passports quickly, reading off the names as he did so. The blue one was McGee's, the green one was Tony's, and the black one was his.

"Alexander Mercer," Gibbs said as he handed McGee the blue passport.

"Thanks boss." McGee said, as he took the passport.

"Carlo Cautelare." he said as he handed Tony the green passport.

"Thanks." Tony said, as he took his passport from Gibbs' hand.

Tony and McGee both examined their passports together.

"Didn't exactly get my best side did they?" Tony mused to himself, as he examined the inside contents of the passport he was holding--more specifically the enclosed photograph.

"And mine is...Frank Brennan--Special U.N. Delegate." he said quietly.

"Hey boss, what do you think this means?" McGee asked, looking up from his new passport.

"It means I'm the V.I.P., Tony's my bodyguard, Ziva's my translator--and you're my assisstant McGee." Gibbs said flatly.

"How you know all that?" Ziva asked.

"Says so right here." Gibbs said, holding up the folded up note.

Ziva reached out and took the note quickly before Tony could get to it, and unfolded it and read it.

"He is right. It does." Ziva said, looking up from the note.

The pilot returned from the back of the plane with 4 more medium-sized packages, and quickly dispersed them to the designated agent to which they belonged.

"What're these?" McGee asked, holding up his package.

"Disguises." Gibbs said, before the pilot could reply. "Its in the note too."

"Oh Goody!" Tony squeeled delightedly as he tore into his package. "New Clothes!"




Chapter 3---

It was a little after eight o'clock in the morning when Gibbs and the team finally arrived at their final destination. Tehran--the capital of Iran.

The sun hung bright in the sky as the group stepped off of the plane and onto the tarmac of the airfield. Their Iranian welcome party appeared in the distance--approaching them in jeeps.

"Damn polyester blend." Tony growled under his breath as he tugged at his new suit.

Ziva gave a small snort as she tried to stifle a chuckle.

Ziva was wearing a coat, blouse, and skirt, as well as heels--none of which would she have chosen if she had had her way. McGee wore a pair of Khaki pants, a long-sleeved, turtle-neck shirt, and a sports coat--McGee also carried a brown leather briefcase at his side. Gibbs wore a more official looking navy blue suit and tie.

The two jeeps pulled to a halt just a few yards away from where Gibbs and his team stood waiting.

An Iranian military officer approached them ahead of the rest of his men.

"Passports." he said sternly, in a thick accent, as he held out his hand to the group.

Gibbs smiled, though it was a forced one, and pulled his black passport from his inside coat pocket and handed it to the officer.

The officer eyed Gibbs suspiciously, and then opened the passport and examined it--looking from it to Gibbs several times before handing it back to him. He did the same thing with the others and their passports as well.

"Jew?" he asked sternly, prejudice evident in his voice, as he examined Ziva's passport.

Gibbs cleared his throat audibly.

"Translator." he said to the man, answering for Ziva.

"I did not ask you. I asked her!" the officer said angrily, his voice rising a few octaves.

Ziva opened her mouth to speak, but Gibbs stepped closer to the officer putting them face to face.

"And *I'm* answering." Gibbs said sternly, as he stared the officer down.

The officer mumbled something in his native tongue and then raised a hand--intent on hitting Gibbs, but a voice from behind stopped him. The officer turned and nodded at his superior and then walked away.

"So sorry about that." the man said. "He can be a little--aggressive."

The man was of average height and build and probably middle aged by his looks, and had a neatly kept mustache across his upper lip. He wore the uniform of someone pretty high up in the chain of command.

"Good morning Mr. Brennan," the man said, extending his hand to Gibbs. "Welcome to our glorious country." he added, as the two men shook hands politely.

"Likewise." Gibbs replied, politely.

"I am Colonel Arash Oveisi." the man said with a smile, introducing himself with a slight bow.

Gibbs just nodded at the colonel.

"Come, I'll bet you and your entourage--are hungry." Colonel Oveisi said, motioning for them to follow him to the jeeps.

Gibbs and the team climbed up into the jeeps as instructed by the colonel, and away they went. The two jeeps sped off down the airfield's runway heading towards the place where Gibbs and his team would be staying for the next couple of days.

"Our President believes these negotiations to be a waste of time, Mr. Brennan." the Colonel explained, as the two jeeps rolled off down the runway. "But I, on the other hand, believe that they will be most fruitful."

"I guess we'll just have to wait and see." Gibbs replied, over the noise of the two jeeps as they sped along.

.........To Be Continued.........
End Notes:
This is just another idea that I had just a while ago, and I thought it would be something neat to explore, and see what happens. So just bare with me, and I hope that you guys enjoy it...
All Good Things... (Chapters 3, 4, & 5) by niceguy87
Author's Notes:
Gibbs and the team get settled into their mission, and then they have their first encounter with "Cobra".
"All Good Things..."

Chapter 3 (Continued)---

The two jeeps pulled up to a large compound just on the edge of the city.

"This is where you'll be staying while you are here in Iran." Colonel Oveisi said, with a wave of his arm.

The group began to climb out of the jeeps slowly. Ziva tried to step out of the jeep that she and McGee had ridden in; but before she could get over the side one of the officers in the front of the jep pushed her, hard, back inside the jeep.

Ziva landed in McGee's lap.

"Whoa!" McGee cried as Ziva landed on him. "Ouch."

Ziva scowled angrily at the officer who had pushed her down.

"You alright? McGee asked her.

"Yes, I am fine." she said as she pulled herself back up to her feet.

Across from them in the other jeep Tony and Gibbs were climbing out, and saw the commotion in the other jeep.

Tony watched, angrily, as the officer pushed Ziva down, and heard what he said to her, and even though he didn't speak their language--he knew it wasn't anything nice.

Gibbs eyed Tony and shot him a stern "Don't even think about it," look.

"Strike one." Tony said under his breath.

Gibbs nodded at his senior field agent knowingly.

"Right this way please." the Colonel said as he led the way in through the main gates of the compound.




Inside the compound the group looked around and took in their surroundings as they were led into the main foyer. The main foyer of the compound was huge and lavishly decorated with antiques and artifacts of great importance to the Iranians' culture and religion.

"You like?" Colonel Oveisi asked, when he saw their faces.

"Well, it certainly is fancy--that's for sure." Tony remarked.

Colonel Oveisi nodded in agreement as he gave a slight chuckle.

"Amar will show you to your rooms, and then--we eat." the Colonel said, motioning to one of the servants standing nearby.

"Thank you." Gibbs said with a nod.




Finally the team joined Colonel Oveisi at the table in the compound's equally large dining room.

"I trust your rooms were to your liking Mr. Brennan." the Colonel said from his end of the table.

"They'll do." Gibbs said.

Colonel Oveisi raised his fork, which had some kind of unknown foodstuff attached at the end, to his mouth.

"Tell me Mr. Brennan--what approach do you plan to take in these negotiations?"

Gibbs had to think fast. He and McGee had spent several hours of the flight over reading up on Iranian customs and past dealings between the Iranians, the U.S., and the U.N.; but even so he knew he would have to make a lot of it up as he went--wing it if you will.

"With all do respect Colonel, I think that is something is that is best discussed with your President." Gibbs said, swallowing a bit of whatever it was that had been on the end of his own fork.

"I am sorry--forgive me please." the Colonel said, with a blushing smile. "Its just that I have always been a very curious man--and sometimes I guess I let my curiosity run away from me."

Gibbs nodded politely at the Colonel, and then nodded slightly at McGee who sat just a few chairs down from him.

"Oh, uh, we have been discussing a possible compromise between our two parties," McGee piped up at Gibbs' signal. "Instead total disarmament--maybe we could settle over mutual arms regulation."

McGee sat, apprehensively, hoping and praying that they would buy whatever that was that had just come out of his mouth.

The Colonel sat quietly obviously in deep thought staring down at his breakfast plate. He finally looked up at Gibbs with a smile.

"I am most impressed Mr. Brennan," the Colonel said. "You maybe the first outsider to offer such an exquisite deal."

Gibbs smiled politely, and gave a slight bow of his head towards the Colonel.

"I appreciate your kindness, Colonel."

"Mr. Brennan, I believe no, more than ever, that these negotiations will be quite successful." the Colonel continued. "And I am sure that President Ahmadinejad will be as impressed as I."

"Speaking of which, when does your *President* get here?" Tony asked, between bites of what he wasn't sure.

"Well yes, President Ahmadinejad, is currently away at the moment, but he is expected to return sometime this evening." the Colonel informed them.

"Well I hope that the President won't rush back on our account." Gibbs replied.

"You are most kind, Mr. Brennan." the Colonel replied, with a smile.

Colonel Oveisi stuffed another bite of food into his mouth, chewed it, and then swallowed.

"What would you say to a tour of the grounds?" the Colonel asked.

Gibbs swallowed a bit of food before answering.

"Love to," he replied plainly.

"Splendid," the Colonel said. "Though I will have to ask you to leave your *company* behind."

Gibbs chuckled slightly as he laid his fork down on his plate.

"With all do respect, Colonel, Carlo is my bodyguard so I must insist that he join us." Gibbs said calmly. "After all I would feel much safer."

The Colonel considered Gibbs' request thoughtfully for a few moments, and then spoke.

"Very well, Mr. Cautelare may join us--but the others, I'm afraid, must stay behind."

"Fair enough," Gibbs said, bowing his head slightly to the Colonel.




"Kinda burying yourself in the part aren't ya boss," Tony remarked with a grin, as the group entered Gibbs and Tony's room after breakfast was finished.

Gibbs reached out and whacked Tony, hard, on the back of the head as he walked by.

"Ow! Right--sorry boss." Tony said, rubbing the new sore spot on the back of his head.

"I do not think this is a good idea." Ziva pointed out, referring to Gibbs' agreement with the Colonel.

"I'll be fine." Gibbs replied.

McGee was the last one into the room so he had to close the door behind them.

"Beside," Tony added. "I'll be with him the whole time."

"I'm sure that's very reassuring Tony." McGee remarked.

Ziva tried to stifle another chuckle as Tony shot a dirty look at McGee across the room.

"Besides this'll be as good an opportunity as any to try and find out where they're hiding our satellite." Tony added. "Right boss."

Gibbs grinned as he gave a slight nod.

"Well McGee and I can not just sit here and do nothing." Ziva said in protest.

"Then don't," Gibbs said. "I'm sure there are plenty of electronic gizmos all around this place."

McGee turned to face Gibbs.

"Wait, you want me to ha-" he started to say, but then he caught Gibbs' stare.

"Oh, uh right--gotcha." he said.

Gibbs nodded.

Ziva shook her head. She knew that she would never win this argument--ever.

Gibbs waved his hand at his team, and dismissed them away to their respective rooms as he reached for his suitcase which was setting on his bed.

Gibbs unzipped the side pocket of his suitcase and withdrew the framed photograph of his family that he had brought with him.

---------DREAM-LIKE SEQUENCE---------

Wearing his uniform and cover Gibbs stood outside of his house loading the rest of his stuff up into the truck that would take him and a few other guys to the airport.

The sliding glass door to the house slid open and a young girl, about 8 years of age, ran outside in search of her father.

"Daddy! Daddy!" Kelly yelped as she ran around the corner of the truck.

"Kelly." Gibbs said, as he squatted down to his daughter's level.

The young girl threw her arms around her father's neck and held on for dear life.

"Daddy don't go," she pleaded with her father.

Gibbs hugged his daughter.

"Sweetheart, you know I have to go." Gibbs said softly.

"No, don't go--stay." she begged him, locking eyes with her father.

Shannon stepped outside at that moment and watched them from a distance.

"I don't want you to go again," she said. "Stay."

Gibbs looked up at his wife, his eyes begging for help.

Shannon walked over to where her husband and daughter were crouched down.

"Kelly, sweetie--Daddy has to go now." Shannon said softly.

"No." the young girl countered, holding tightly to her father's neck.

"Hey Gunney, we gotta go!" one of the other soldiers on the truck yelled out at Gibbs.

Shannon stood up and looked across at the soldier.

"He's comin'!" she shouted back. "Just give us a minute, okay!"

Gibbs hugged his daughter tightly once more and whispered into her ear.

"This is the last time--I promise." he whispered softly. "I'll be back before you know it."

---------END OF DREAM-LIKE SEQUENCE---------

That one line echoed through his Gibbs' mind continuously.

"Last time...last time...last time..."

"Boss--boss you alright?" Tony's voice broke through.

"Hunh, wha-" Gibbs stammered, as he snapped out of his trance and came back to reality.

He shook his head to clear it as he realized where he was again.

"Are you alright?" Tony asked.

Gibbs wiped a lone tear from his cheek with the back of his hand, as he stuffed the framed photograph back into his suitcase and zipped it back up.

He turned around and checked his watch.

"Damn. Forgot to reset this thing for the time zone difference." Gibbs muttered to himself. "Better." he added, as he corrected the problem.

"Boss," Tony said sitting up on the bed.

"Hunh?" Gibbs said suddenly, looking oveer at the younger man.

"You alright?" Tony repeated his question from earlier.

"Yeah. Yeah fine." he said, after a brief pause.

Tap! Tap! Tap! Came the knock at the door in three short raps.

Tony automatically jumped off of the bed and straightened himself up, once again resuming his bodyguard persona.

Gibbs looked across at the younger man who nodded back that he was ready.

Gibbs crossed the floor and grasped the door knob, drawing in a deep breath and letting it back out again before he opened the door.

"Sorry about that Colonel," Gibbs said apologetically. "I was just using the head."

The Colonel smiled politely at Gibbs.

"No apologies necessary Mr. Brennan," the Colonel said.

Gibbs noticed that there was a young woman standing next to the Colonel. She was of average height and build, and had long, curly black hair and fair skin. She too wore a military uniform, but was obviously of a lower rank than the Colonel. She was, for an Iranian, attractive.

"And uh, who might this be?" Gibbs asked, nodding towards the young woman.

"Oh yes, Mr. Brennan I would like you to meet Lieutenant Goli," the Colonel said, introducing the young woman.

"Nice to meet you, Mr. Brennan." the young lieutenant said, with a slight bow of her head.

"Likewise, I'm sure." Gibbs replied with a smile.

"Lieutenant Goli will be joining us on our little excursion." the Colonel informed Gibbs.

"I trust that you are ready for our tour." the Colonel said.

"Absolutely." Gibbs replied, with a wave of his hand to indicate 'after you'.

Gibbs looke across the room at Tony, and nodded.

"Carlo. Venire." Gibbs said, in Italian.

Tony nodded slightly at his boss, and then moved across the room to follow them.

Gibbs, Tony, and McGee had taken a crash course in Italian during the plane ride over using the 'English-To-Italian' Dictionary that had come with Tony's disguise.




Together Gibbs, Tony, the Colonel, and the Lieutenant made their way around the inside and the outside of the compound.

They eventually found themselves standing out on a balcony on the compound's third floor. The balcony gave them a beautiful view of the compound's main courtyard as well as a spectacular view of the city's sky-line.

"Its beautiful." Gibbs remarked, forcing a smile.

"Isn't it?" the Colonel said in agreement with him.

"Sometimes I wish the rest of the world could see it the way we do," Lieutenant Goli added.

The Colonel nodded at her.

In the center of the courtyard Gibbs noticed a medium-sized metal building erected there.

At Gibbs' side, as always, Tony stood in a way that he believed made him look super-tough. From where he stood it was hard to miss the constant looks and signals that the young Lieutenant was continuously throwing at him. He had smiled back a couple of time, but in way that was supposed to be no more than friendly.

"What's that?" Gibbs asked, pointing to the metal building.

"That. Oh, that is where the President keeps his most prized treasures." the Colonel explained.

"Doesn't look all that safe to me." Gibbs remarked, his eyes fixed upon the metal building.

"Well, Mr. Brennan, I assure you it is protected with the finest security system in the world." the Colonel reassured him.

"Wish I'd thought of that." Gibbs said, with a grin, looking up at the Colonel. "Would certainly keep those vandals back home away from my house."

The Colonel laughed.

"Well perhaps when you return home, you will be able to use some of the knowledge that you gain here to better your own life." the Colonel remarked, with a chuckle.

"That's not a bad idea Colonel." Gibbs said.

The Colonel straightened up and looked at Gibbs.

"Well, now that you have seen our humble palace of sorts," the Colonel said. "How about a tour of the city?"

Gibbs nodded, forcing another smile.




Chapter 4---

The Colonel's jeep rolled down the crowded streets of Tehran.

Many of the people of the streets were vendors selling their goods and wares to anyone who would stop to look.

Suddenly their was a loud popping sound and the jeep spun out of control and crashed into a nearby vendors' stand.

Everyone emerged from the accident unscathed, but as for the jeep though, it now had a flat tire.

"My apologies Mr. Brennan," the Colonel said, bowing his head slightly to Gibbs.

"I assure you this will not take long at all to repair."

"Take your time." Gibbs said with a smile. "This'll give me time to do a little browsing."

"Very well." the Colonel said with a nod.

Gibbs and Tony turned away and started down the street inspecting the different vendors and their wares.

At the end of the street Gibbs and Tony were approached by a man who seemed hell bent on selling them something.

"No thank you," Gibbs said, with a wave of his hand.

"Oh but you must, you must." the vendor continued to press him.

"He said No Thanks," Tony said stepping up between Gibbs and the man.

"But you do not understand, good sirs, it is a gift," the vendor said,, in a low voice, leaning close to them.

"A gift?" Tony repeated in a puzzled voice.

"Yes, good sirs, compliments of the *Cobra*." he added, in the same low voice.

Gibbs and Tony exchanged a somewhat surprised look.

Gibbs stepped forward, in front of Tony, and nodded to the man.

"Alright, I'm interested." Gibbs said, quietly.

The man turned and reached into his cart and pulled out a fruit of some kind and handed it to Gibbs.

"Here. Try." he said, offering Gibbs the fruit.

Gibbs examined it in his hands carefully, and then bit into the luscious fruit. After he had swallowed a bite he nodded with a smile, and the man nodded back flashing a happy smile.

"Here then, good sirs, you must take some with you." the man said pulling a medium-sized crate of fruit from his cart.

Gibbs accepted the crate looking it over once and then twice.

The man nodded at Gibbs and then patted the crate with one hand, and then he returned to selling his wares to other passersby.

Later when the jeep was finally fixed and it was time to return to the compound. The Colonel noticed the crate that Gibbs had brought back with him.

"I see you made a purchase while in town." the Colonel said, as he jeep bumped and rattled along on its journey back to the compound.

Gibbs nodded back at the Colonel.

"What can I say I was hooked from the first bite," Gibbs replied.

"Ah, you are obviously a man of excellent taste, Mr. Brennan." the Colonel said, with a chuckle.

"You could say that," Gibbs replied. "Can't wait for the wife to try them back home."

The Colonel just laughed.




Back at the compound Gibbs and Tony carried the crate back up to their room where Ziva and McGee were waiting for them.

"You're back," McGee said, jumping up from the chair against the far wall.

"How was it?" Ziva chimed in, sliding off of the bed.

Gibbs didn't say a word. He set the crate down on the bed, and then headed for the bathroom. The team heard the shower being turned on full power, and then Gibbs re-entered the room.

"What was that all about?" Ziva asked, as Gibbs approached the bed once more.

"They might be listening in," he replied, in a low voice. "Can't take any chances."

Gibbs removed the lid from the crate and began to remove the fruit until he reached the bottom of the crate. At the bottom he found a secret compartment in which was hidden a small map, a laptop computer, and a letter sealed inside of a manilla envelope.

"Where did you guys get this stuff?" McGee said, as he took the laptop from Gibbs.

"From *Cobra*," Tony informed them, quietly.

"You saw Cobra?" Ziva asked, shocked, her eyes wide with surprised.

"Maybe." Gibbs said.

McGee sat back down in the chair against the wall and switched on the laptop.

"We think we know where they're hiding our satellite too." Tony informed Ziva.

"Where? Is it close?" she asked quickly.

"Closer than you think." he replied, with a grin.

Gibbs stowed the last of the fruit back in the crate that it came in.

"In the main courtyard there's a metal building," Tony started. "Its got heavy security protecting it though."

"Gibbs, this could be a trap." Ziva said. "We don't know if this stuff really came from *Cobra* or not."

"Agreed." Gibbs said, quietly. "But what other choice do we have."

"Um, Guys," McGee said, as he stood and strolled over to the bed, laptop in hand. "Did that metal building look something like this?"

McGee turned the laptop around so that the rest of the team could see what was on the screen.

On the computer's screen was displayed the blueprints and a photo of the metal building in the courtyard.

"Yeah, that's it--but how did you find it so quickly?" Tony asked.

"I didn't," McGee said. "There was a link on the desktop labeled 'Pegasus'." McGee explained. "I just clicked it, and this is what I found. It's even got a set of schematics for the building's security system."

"That mean you can get it?" Gibbs asked, looking up at McGee.

"Um, maybe, I need to study these blueprints for a few hours and see what they tell me." he said as he walked back to the chair and sat down.

Gibbs picked up the manilla envelope and opened it up. Inside was a note from *Cobra*. Gibbs proceeded to read it aloud.

---------COBRA'S VOICE---------

*"Your mission will not be an easy one. By now you have discovered the satellite's location via the link on the laptop. The security system guarding it is very advanced, and it will require teamwork to retrieve it successfully. Everyone has a part to play--be prepared...success comes with a heavy toll. Destroy this message--We Will Be In Touch..."*

---------END OF COBRA'S VOICE---------

"Something tells me this *Cobra* guy doesn't think very highly of us." Tony pointed out, in an unimpressed tone.

"For once we agree." McGee said.

"I do not like this Gibbs." Ziva said, shaking her head.

"Makes two of us." Gibbs said in a low voice.

Gibbs looked up at the wall on the far side of the bed, and held his gaze there for what seemed like forever--his eyes glazed over. There was that feeling again, that feeling in his gut that told him this mission wasn't going to end well.

He shook his head as he rubbed his eyes.

"Jethro," a sweet voice cut into his thoughts abruptly.

Gibbs was so startled by the familiar voice in his head that he tears began to burn behind his eyes--and for half a second he believed it was real.

"Shannon," he breathed.

"Boss?" Tony asked.

Gibbs blinked several times, and then shook his head once more to clear his thoughts.

"Sorry--its-its nothing." he said, wiping his eyes with the back of his hand.

Ziva grabbed Tony by the arm, abruptly, and pulled him away so they could speak privately.

"Ziva, what gives!?" Tony said out of protest.

"Lower your voice!?" Ziva hissed, angrily.

"Fine."

"Sorry," she added.

"What is it?" Tony asked, noticing the worried look in his partner's eyes.

Ziva bit down on her lip.

"I am worried about Gibbs," she whispered quietly.

"Why?" Tony asked.

"He has not been acting like himself."

"Well, maybe its just the stress of the mission getting to him." Tony offered.

"No, I do not think so," Ziva replied, looking into her partner's eyes.

"I mean--that may be part of it, but I think there is more to it." she told him decidedly.

Tony stared at his partner silently pondering the situation to himself for a few minutes. Behind them the sounds of Gibbs moving around audible.

"What're you thinkin'?" Tony asked finally, in a low voice.

"That photograph he brought with him," she pointed out, nodding in Gibbs' direction. "I have seen him looking at it more than once."

"Yeah, I know the one." Tony replied, glancing up at his boss and then back at Ziva. "It was taken just before he left for *Desert Storm*," Tony informed her, lowering his voice even more. "Its of him, Shannon, and Kelly at the park--on a picnic with some of the other Marines' families."

Ziva nodded at her partner knowingly.

"And you heard what Gibbs said," Ziva pressed.

"Yeah, he said *Shannon*." Tony replied slowly, realizing Ziva's point.

The two of them talked a few minutes longer and then Tony ended the conversation as Gibbs stalked towards them.

"We'll just have to keep our eyes on him." Tony said quickly, before Gibbs got too close to them.

Ziva nodded in agreement at her partner.





It was in the evening when the Iranian President finally arrived at the compound. Colonel Oveisi informed Gibbs and the others of his arrival and invited them all downstairs to meet him.

The 4 of them stood in the main foyer as the President entered through a side entrance.

"It is a great honor to meet you Mr. President." Gibbs said, forcing a smile, as he shook the man's hand.

"Colonel Oveisi has told me much about you Mr. Brennan," the President said, his accent quite thick. "I look forward to our negotiations greatly."

Gibbs gave a slight smile.

Tony noticed as he stood next to his boss, trying his best to look tough, that the President kept eyeing Ziva suspiciously, and he did not like it.

"Regretfully, I am most tired," the President said, apologetically. "Travel tends to drain one in these parts."

Gibbs nodded in aqreement.

"And so I think maybe we shall both be better able to perform after a good night's sleep." the President said, with a smile that Gibbs could tell wasn't real.

"Agreed."

They talked a while longer and Tony, Ziva, and McGee pretended that they were listening to every word. After a little while had passed, though, Gibbs shook hands with the President once more, and then he and his team were dismissed to their rooms.






Chapter 5---

Gibbs and his team sat in his room discussing their thoughts on the day.

"Sure wish we could talk to Vance." Tony remarked. "I don't know about you guys, but I don't like being in the dark like this."

Gibbs nodded, and the others agreed as well.

"Did any of you guys notice the way the President was looking at Ziva earlier?" McGee asked.

"Yeah I did." Tony replied coldly. "And I didn't like it."

"Tony relax," Ziva said, rolling her eyes. "You are both being paranoid."

Suddenly there came a knock at the door. Tap! Tap! Tap!

Gibbs strolled over to the door and opened it gingerly.

"Can I help you?" he asked the Iranian guard standing outside his door.

The Iranian guard pushed his way into the room, and Tony automatically assumed a ready-to-brawl attitude.

"Our President requests the presence of Ms. Gavish." the guard spoke harshly.

"On what grounds?" Gibbs asked calmly.

The guard spun to face Gibbs immediately.

"If force is required then I will do what I must." the guard said coldly.

There was a moment of silence before anyone in the room spoke up.

"Alright, if I must go," Ziva started, standing straight. "Then I will go quietly."

She shot Gibbs a sideways glance as she moved slowly in the guards' direction. Gibbs nodded at the Mossad officer as she walked past him.

As soon as the door to their room had closed behind Ziva and the Iranian guard--Gibbs, Tony, and McGee all looked at each other. (Gibbs and McGee had been standing already, but Tony was sitting on the sofa-like piece of furniture nearby.)

"Boss you can't-" McGee started to say in protest as he stepped forward.

Without looking Gibbs clapped his hand hard over McGee's mouth to silence him. Gibbs looked at Tony and motioned with his head in the direction of the bathroom. Tony nodded at his boss acknowledging that he knew what Gibbs meant.

As soon as Gibbs heard the shower in the bathroom come on at full power he released McGee's mouth.

"We can't just let them *take* Ziva!" McGee said in protest. "They'll kill her if they find out she's Mossad!"

"I know." Gibbs said plainly.

"Then why-" McGee started to say.

"Because Vance said he couldn't tell us all the details of the mission--remember." Gibbs countered, spinning on his heel to face the young agent.

McGee looked utterly confused and bewildered by Gibbs' statement--at first at least.

"You mean Vance knew this would happen?" McGee said, shocked.

Tony re-entered the main living area of their room at that moment.

"Well someone obviously did." Tony remarked.

Gibbs just nodded at his senior field agent.

"What're you thinkin' boss?" Tony asked, seeing the look that Gibbs had in his eyes.

Gibbs ran a hand through his silvery hair as his brain processed his thoughts for him at near warp speed.

"A diversion." he said suddenly, in a low voice.

"Hunh?" came Tony's reply.

"Come again?" McGee said.

Gibbs turned to his two remaining agents.

"That's her part." Gibbs explained. "Cobra's Letter," he pointed out. "It said we all had a part to play--Ziva's part is the diversion."

"Damn!" Tony said suddenly.

"Well this is just great." McGee said, rolling his eyes, as he turned around and drew in a deep breath of air as the new information that he had just received was processed through his mind/brain.

"What about the rest of us!?" McGee said, almost hysterically, as he spun back around to face Tony and Gibbs.

"We already know your part." Tony pointed out. "Remember you're supposed to retrieve the data from the satellite's black box."

McGee rolled his eyes again.

"That just leaves-" Tony began.

"You and me," Gibbs finished, looking up at Tony, as he let out a sigh.

Gibbs sat with his thoughts, silently, for a few moments before speaking again.

"McGee," he said, spinning on his heel. "Get anything useful off that thing?" Gibbs asked, pointing to the laptop sitting up under the room's single chair.

McGee scramble to pull out the computer and power it up for his boss. After a minute or two had passed he turned it so that Gibbs and Tony could see the screen.

"This," he said pointing to the screen. "Is a diagram of the security systems' main interface." he explained. "According to the schematics the only was to get passed it is to use a key--more specifically a Key-Card."

"And where does one go about getting one of these cards, McGoo?" Tony asked humourusly. "I mean take a good look around--no Radio Shacks out here."

"Very funny Tony." McGee replied sarcastically.




Ziva couldn't tell where she was, only that she'd been blindfolded with a black bag of some sort thrown over her head. She'd also been tied to the chair in which she was currently sitting.

She studied her surroundings for a moment taking everything in. The room was dark and dank, and it had a musty smell to it. There was hardly any light in the room at all so she could not determine how long she'd been there, or what time it was at present; but best guess she'd been sitting there for at least 2 to 3 hours.

"Hello!?" she tried, but got only her echo in reply. "Anyone there!?" again, the same result.

She tried pulling at her bonds, but they held hard and fast. Who ever had tied the knots was good at it--no doubts there.

"Try not to struggle to much," a voice said through the dark room.

"I can assure you that escape from here is next to impossible--so resisting would be futile."

Ziva blinked several times letting her eyes adjust to the ever so dim room once the blindfold was removed. The room that she was in reminded her somewhat of the dungeons she read about in American children's stories.

"Where am I?" she demanded.

Lieutenant Goli stepped from the shadows making herself visible to Ziva.

"Lieutenant. What a surprise." Ziva remarked, an air of sarcasm in her voice.

The lieutenant laughed at her prisoner.

"Why am I here?" Ziva demanded, coldly.

"Because you are a Jew, yes?"

"And if I am?" Ziva questioned.

The lieutenant smiled as she stepped closer to Ziva.

"You work for Mossad. Do you not Ms. David?"

Ziva realized she'd been found out, how she did not know. She kept her mouth shut, and her gazed fixed upon the far wall.

"It is okay, you do not have to say anything--right now anyway." the Lieutenant explained. "But in due time, I assure you--you will."

"Highly unlikely." Ziva thought to herself.




The next morning went just as the Iranian President had said it would. First there was breakfast--at which no one said anything about Gibbs' missing team member--and then a stroll around the compound to losen things up, followed by the start of negotiations in the conference room.

Gibbs asked Tony to stand guard outside the conference room, and the President did the same with Lieutenant Goli. The Colonel was away overseeing the resupplying of the compound.

"What?" Tony asked nervously, of the Lieutenant who was eyeing him the same as she had before. "Is there something in my teeth?" tony asked, rubbing a finger along the front of his teeth.

"No," she replied. "They are perfect."

"Well gee, thanks."

The Lieutenant strolled over and stood directly in front of Tony.

"You are Italian--yes?"

"Well actually yes. I am." he replied, nervously, as the Lieutenant got closer.

"You know I have always found Italian men to be-" she stopped short, licking her lips in Tony's face. "Most desirable."

"R-really?" Tony answered, swallowing a hard lump in his throat.

Without warning the Lieutenant plunged her tongue into Tony's mouth, and Tony was helpless to stop her.



Down in the dungeon-like room Ziva still sat bound to her chair while a bigger, muscular man tried to persuade her to talk.

His large hand came down hard against the side of her face.

"Ugh!" Ziva groaned at the sharp pain that shot through her entire body.

"Talk!" the man demanded, angrily, sweat pouring from his face.

"N-never." Ziva panted, her head lowered from exhaustion.

"You will talk Jew!" the big man barked angrily in Ziva's face.

"Bite me!" she hissed back.

"Ah!" the man yelled as he struck Ziva again, harder.

"Mossad is trying to assassinate our beloved President. Why!?" he yelled at her.

Ziva remained quiet. She was bound and determined that this mission would go undetered in anyway. Let the Iranians think what they wanted of her--it did not matter. Not to her anyway.




When Gibbs, Tony, and McGee returned to their room(s) Tony was the first to speak up.

"Boss. I think I may have a way of getting us into the building where they're hiding the satellite." Tony informed Gibbs, as plopped down onto the bed.

"And?" Gibbs asked, ready for Tony to get to the point.

.........To Be Continued.........
End Notes:
Here's just a few interesting little tidbits that I thought I would share with you guys (well I thought that they were cool anyway).

First -- The last name of Tony's undercover identity, "Cautelare", is Italian for "Protect".

Second -- Ziva's undercover identity's first name, Aleana, means "Immigrant to a new home," in Israeli.

Thirdly -- The Iranian Colonel's first name is/was also the name of a hero in Persian folklore.
All Good Things... (Chapters 6, 7, & 8) by niceguy87
Author's Notes:
Tony tries to obtain a key card for McGee. Gibbs learns the true identity of 'Cobra'; and then its time for the team to make their move.
"All Good Things...(Chapters 6, 7, & 8)"

Chapter Six---

Gibbs folded his arms across his chest and stared at Tony for a few moments studying him in silence.

"Are you about this?" he asked the younger man.

Tony shrugged his shoulders at his boss.

"Not really, but what other choice do we have." Tony mused, tilting his head slightly to one side.

Gibbs shook his head and rubbed his weary eyes as he thought for a moment.

"I don't like it." he said, as he sat down on the edge of the bed beside Tony.

"Neither do I, but you heard McGee--we need that 'Key-Card'." Tony replied.

"Said anything to McGee yet?" Gibbs asked.

"Nope." Tony replied, looking down at his shoes.

Gibbs thought for a moment, and then shook his head again.

"Alright--but be careful." Gibbs warned.

Tony nodded in agreement.

Gibbs stood and walked towards the bathroom.

"What about Zi--err--I mean Aleana?" Tony asked, correcting himself.

"We're not leaving without her are we?" he asked.

"Nope." Gibbs called back from the bathroom.




Night came fairly quickly it seemed--too quickly in Tony's mind. He straightened himself up and checked himself out in the bathroom mirror one last time before heading out.

Gibbs had strolled across the hallway to McGee's room to check in on his youngest special agent's progress.

Tony made his way down the long hall until he reached the first turn, at which point he turned left and made his way down the second hall until he reached his destination 5 door on the right hand side of the hall.

He tapped, gently, several times on the door before Lieutenant Goli finally answered.

"Come in," she beckoned him forth in a low seductive voice.

Tony swallowed hard as he stepped through the door which she closed behind him.

"Evening," she said as she walked towards the bed swinging her hips, obviously, just for him.

"You know--if we get caught--the consequences will surely be dire." she explained, as she stooped to light two more candles on a side table near the bed.

Tony tried to force a smile and a chuckle.

"Then lets try not to get caught, shall we."

He walked toward her slowly, and she reached out for him. Her hands landed against his chest as he approached her--closer and closer. She ripped open his shirt, and quickly pulled Tony into a deep kiss.




Back in McGee's room--he and Gibbs mulled over the information that they had found on the computer.

Suddenly there was a knock at the door. Tap! Tap! Tap!

Gibbs slowly made his way over and opened the door. As soon as he had it opened the Colonel pushed his way inside and closed the door quickly.

"Sorry to intrude, but it is urgent." he said quickly, looking from Gibbs to McGee and then back to Gibbs.

"What is?" McGee asked, standing from the bed.

"The President is becoming too suspicious." the Colonel explained.

"Back up," Gibbs said stepping up close to the Colonel. "Start from the beginning." Gibbs said in a low voice.

The Colonel rubbed his eyes, and shook his head slightly. "Very well," he said letting out a long sigh. "I am *Cobra*." he informed them.

"Yeah, I know." Gibbs replied, with a smile.

"You're friend Ms. Gavish is keeping their eyes focused elsewhere for the moment, but I do not know how long that will last." the Colonel explained.

Gibbs rolled his eyes at the Colonel.

"Not her real name, but okay."

"Point is, if you are going to make a move, then it has to be--soon." the Colonel added.

"No good." Gibbs said, turning away.

McGee turned back to the laptop and punched in a few keys bringing up what appear to be floor plans for the compound.

"The logical place, according to these blue-prints, to hold Ziva is--here," McGee explained, pointing to a spot on the blue-prints.

Colonel Oveisi shook his head at Gibbs and McGee.

"Forgive my boldness, but--retrieving your satellite and escaping will be risky enough," he explained. "Trying to save your female friend too--would only be suicide." the Colonel said, blatantly.

Gibbs stepped closer.

"I'm not leaving anyone behind." Gibbs said in a low voice.

"I know this is difficult for you to hear, but you must trust me." the Colonel countered.

"And besides--once this is started I *Will* have to chase you." he added.

"Understood." Gibbs replied, with a nod.

"Now, about our escape plan?" Gibbs asked.

The Colonel stepped forward, leaned over, and pressed a sequence of keys on the laptop's keyboard. After a second or two another set of blue-prints appeared on the computer's screen.

The blue-prints showed the outside of the compound.

"You can exit the compound through this door," he began to explain. "It will take you out to a second, smaller airstrip."

Gibbs and McGee studied the blue-prints for themselves as the Colonel pointed out their best escape route to them.

"Between you and the airstrip though, is a set of old city ruins," he continued to explain. "On the roof there are always machine gunners--so watch out for them."

"Machine gunners. Watch out. Got it." McGee chimed in.

"At the end of the strip you will find a small chopper waiting to carry you away." he finished.

Gibbs leaned over just a little bit closer--obviously studying something else about the blue-prints.




Back in Lieutenant Goli's bedroom...
The Lieutenant muttered something in her native tongue, that Tony could not understand, as she finally hit her climax. A few thrusts later and Tony joined her.

After several minutes had passed Lieutenant Goli rolled over and kissed Tony on the lips deeply, quickly, and then settled back down against Tony's chest.

"We should do this more often." she said, with a devilish grin.

"Yeah. We should." Tony replied, with a forced grin.

The two of them laid in the bed in silence staring up at the ceiling until, finally, Lieutenant Goli fell fast asleep.





It was after midnight when Tony finally rejoined Gibbs and McGee in McGee's room.

"Here you go McGoo--one *Key-Card*." Tony said, as handed over the key-card to McGee.

"Good work DiNozzo," Gibbs said with a grin.

Gibbs spent the next several minutes filling Tony in on everything that had happened while he was away romancing the Lieutenant.

"So then, what's the plan?" he asked.

"Gibbs and I have been studying the information on the laptop very extensively, and we think that the best time would be--in about six hours." McGee explained.

"So get some rest DiNozzo," Gibbs said, placing a hand on the younger man's shoulder. "We've got a long day ahead of us."





Chapter Seven---

Gibbs, Tony, and McGee stood in McGee's room six hours later, dressed and ready to go.

"McGee-" Gibbs started to say.

"I know," McGee replied, rolling his eyes. "I will infiltrate the *safe-house*, download the data from the satellite, and then meet you guys out at the airstrip."

Gibbs gave McGee an approving nod. Then he turned and opened the door and the three of them silently slipped out of the room and out into the hallway.

"Hey Boss," Tony whispered over Gibbs' shoulder. "What exactly are *we* going to do?" he asked, having not been made aware of Gibbs' plan for the two of them.

"We're going after Ziva." Gibbs whispered back, plainly.

Gibbs gave the signal to McGee, and at that moment they all broke off and went their seperate ways.




Having memorized the blue-prints McGee slowly made his way through the maze of hallways and corridors. After a little bit he turned a left corner, and stumbled upon a *sentry*.

McGee crouched down and made his way silently towards the unsuspecting man. The man was starting to turn around, but McGee chose that moment to pounce. He threw his arms around the man's kneck pulling him backwards into a *sleeper hold*--a move which he had learned from Ziva.

He dropped the man to the ground, and continued onward.




Gibbs and Tony made their way down into the underground section of the compound, slowly and quietly creeping forward. After several minutes passed they finally reached the main/outer door to the compound's detention center.




McGee finally reached the inner courtyard. he crouched down and scanned the overhead areas fro snipers or gunners, or sentries of any kind--seeing none he continued towards the *safe-house*.

He reached the metal door of the *safe-house* and swiped the stolen key-card through the *card-swipe* mechanism that was mounted right next to the door.

After a second or two he was given the green light, and the door automatically unlocked itself. McGee stepped inside the *safe-house*, and the door closed behind him.




In the compound's main security room Colonel Oveisi sat watching a set of security monitors. Suddenly a red light began flashing up above the console.

"So--it is time." he muttered, as he stood and picked up his weapon.

The Colonel pressed an *Alert-All* button in the center of the console, and then stepped out of the security room.




All over the compound alarms began blaring waking anybody and everybody up.

Security guards and sentries alike began to jump up from wherever they were, grab their weapons, and scramble.

Gibbs and Tony still stood in front of the outer door to the detention center, alarms going off everywhere, when the door started to swing open from the other side. Gibbs rushed through landing a right hook across the detention center guards' jaw--knocking him backwards into a wall. The blow knocked him unconscious instantly.

"Well that easy enough," Tony remarked to Gibbs with a grin.

Gibbs stooped over and grabbed the guards sidearm and his ring of keys.

"Here take this." he said to Tony, as he tossed the guard's pistol to the younger man.

Gibbs looked around until his eyes landed on what he assumed was the detention centers' weapons closet.

Gibbs spent a few minutes figuring out which key unlocked the weapons closet.

"Got it," he said, as he pulled it open.

Gibbs reached inside the weapons closet and pulle out a sub-machine gun, a rifle w/scope, and 2 more pistols.




McGee pulled open the section of the satellite that housed the black box, hooked it up to the laptop, and began to download the data onto the pen drive.

"Come on you can do it," he muttered to the computer in his lap.




Gibbs and Tony rushed through another big door, taking out two more guards along the way. After a few more minutes they finally reached the area where Ziva was being held.

"She should be just around the corner." Gibbs said.

The two men raced around the next corner where they encountered two more guards blocking the entrance to Ziva's cell.

Tony quickly dispatched one while Gibbs took out the other. After the guards were taken care of Gibbs unlocked the cell, and he and Tony stepped inside.

Tony bent down to until Ziva's hand from around the back of the chair that she was sitting in. They could tell she had taken quite a beating in just the last several several hours.

"There." Tony said at last.

Ziva stood and shook the rest of the ropes off of her (body).

Gibbs handed her the two other pistols that he had brought with him.

"Can you make it?" Gibbs asked, looking her over.

"Yes, I can." she said, with a nod, wiping some blood from her lip(s).

"Good. Take these." he said, handing her the two pistols.

"Thanks." she replied, as she checked the two weapons.

Together the three of them raced out of the cell back towards the direction that they had come from to start with.

When they finally reached the first outer door they were met with heavily-armed guards--several of them--waiting on the other side. So the two groups began to exchange volley's of gun fire between each other.

"Where is McGee?" Ziva asked, as she fired off a few shots and then ducked back down again.

"Well hopefully he's got the satellite data, and he's waitn' on us outside." Tony said, firing off a few rounds of his own.

One of Tony's shots actually hit and took down one guard. Gibbs then fired a few shots and managed to take down two more guards.

"I thought this was supposed to be easy!" Tony shouted as a steady stream of hot metal went whizzing over their heads.

"I guess someone needs to tell them that!" Gibbs shouted back.

It took them a few more minutes, but the three of them finally managed to take out the last few heavily-armed guards. Then they pressed onwards towards their final destination.




Back in the *safe-house* McGee had just finished downloading the last of the satellite's data, and had uploaded the *Crash File* that would destroy everything left on te satellite's little black box.

He found a pistol laying on a nearby table, and used it to destroy the laptop, as he shoved the pen drive into his pants pocket.

"Now to get outta here." he said, as he made his way towards the door.




Gibbs, Tony, and Ziva battled their way through more and more armed guars until they finally reached the inner courtyard where the *safe-house* was. On the far side of the courtyard was their escape route/exit.

As they entered the courtyard, McGee was coming out of the *safe-house*.

"McGee!" Gibbs shouted as he crossed the courtyard towards the younger special agent. "Behind you!"

McGee dove to the ground as Gibbs leveled two armed guards running towards them with his sub-machine gun.

Gibbs ran forward and pulled McGee up off of the ground, hurriedly, and pushed him towards the far door.

The four of them finally dashed out into the last hallway seperating them from the outside of the compound.






Chapter Eight---

The team pushed through the heavy door and out to the outside whee they were almost instantly met with a barage of heavy gun fire and the like--as they made their way to cover within/around the old city ruins.

As they approached the ruins McGee uttered a startled cry as he took one or two shots in the leg, and fell to the ground.

"McGee!" Gibbs shouted as he turned back for the young special agent.

Gibbs grabbed McGee by the arm, firing off a few rounds at a group of heavily-armed guards running out of the compound towards them, and drug him back behind the ruins.

Gibbs dropped him once they were safe. McGee laid on theground clutching his twice wounded leg in agony.

"Ziva, check him out!" Gibbs shouted.

Ziva dropped to her knees and began tearing at McGee's pants attempting to make a homemade bandage of sorts to stop the bleeding.

Gibbs and Tony fired volley's aof gun fire at the opposing guards.

"He is losing too much blodd," Ziva shouted to Gibbs. "He needs a hospital!"





On the roof of the compound Colonel Oveisi emerged from the stairway, followed by Lieutenant Goli, and the two of them approach one of the roof gunners.

Lieutenant Goli takes a sniper rifle and assumes a favorable perch on the edge of the roof.




Gibbs pointed through the ruins, to the right side, after looking around a bit.

"Look. There's our ride!"

Tony tried to poke his head around for a better look only to have a bullet, fired by the Lieutenant, graze his temple.

"Son of a-" Tony cried, recoiling from the attack.

Gibbs and Ziva looked over at Tony.

"What?" Gibbs asked.

"Sniper." Tony replied. "They've got us pinned down Boss."

Gibbs turned and scanned the roof of the compound with his eyes, quickly, but couldn't peg the sniper.

Ziva pressed her hand(s) harder down on McGee's wounds, but the blood was still coming.

"He is bleeding to fast--If do not get him-" Ziva started to say to Gibbs.

"I know, I know." Gibbs shouted back.

It was true. He did know what would happen if they could not reach the chopper. Three of them might be able to make it to the chopper, but not while having to carry McGee on their shoulders.

Gibbs scanned the rooftop of the compound once more, but got the same results as before.

He looked around from the compound, to the chopper, and then to his team sitting there around him, and everything seemed to be running in slow motion.

---------DREAM-LIKE SEQUENCE---------

Somewhere in Kuwait...

During Desert Storm...

Gibbs is standing, in full uniform and gear, talking to one of his men. There are explosions going off all around them.

"Sorry Gunny." the man said, apologetically. "They're gone."

Gibbs' eyes were wet with emotion and anger.

"Shannon. Kelly." he whispered. "No!"

Without warning he took off running across the sand, not really sure where he was going.

"Gunny wait!" the man called after him.

And then there was the BIG explosion.

---------END OF DREAM-LIKE SEQUENCE---------

"Boss!" Tony yelled at Gibbs.

Gibbs looked up, suddenly snapped out of his trance, and looked around.

"DiNozzo!" he shouted.

"Yeah!" Tony replied stepping closer to Gibbs.

"Can you make the shot!?" he asked.

Tony stood frozen to the spot, unable to answer the question at first.

"Can you make the shot!?" Gibbs barked in Tony's face.

"Y-Yes." Tony answered at once.

"Good." Gibbs said, shoving the rifle w/scope that he'd brought with him into Tony's arms. "You only get one!"

"Ziva, gun." Gibbs called to the Mossad officer, and she tossed him one of her pistols.

"Wait, boss where are you going?" Tony asked, as Gibbs turned and headed towards the outside of the ruins.

Gibbs stopped and turned around, and pointed towards the compound.

"When he pops his head up, plug him." Gibbs instructed.

Tony nodded and Gibbs turned to walk away again. A few steps short of the edge Gibbs stopped and turned back, momentarily, and stared at Tony for a second.

"And Tony," he called over the noise. "Semper Fi."

Tony didn't know why, but standing there looking at Gibbs in just those few seconds he had this strange *gut feeling* that this might be the last time they saw each other.



Gibbs held the gun in his hands, firmly, and drew in a deep breath and then let it back out--as he stood with his back pressed against a stone pillar near the edge of the ruins.

Tony stood back where he was before with his rifle aimed up at the roof of the compound scanning its length back and forth several times.



Gibbs drew in another breath and then let it out--counting from 1 to 3 before making his move.

He stepped out from behind his shelter, gun raised towards the roof of the building--and sure enough the sniper took the bait. Gibbs couldn't help but grin slightly as he felt hot metal pierce through his body.



Out of the corner of his eye Tony saw Gibbs go down, but he resisted the urge to run to his boss' aide, and instead took the shot--nailing the sniper, who turned out to be the Lieutenant, in the center of her forehead.

"We're clear!" Tony shouted, as he lowered th rifle. "Get McGee to the chopper!"

Tony tossed the sniper rifle aside, and picked up the sub-machine gun, and prepared to make his next move.

"Wait," Ziva said, grabbing Tony's arm. "Where are you going?"

Tony turned to face Ziva.

"I'm going to get Gibbs!" he yelled over the noise.

"You could be killed!" she countered.

Tony stared her down, or at least tried to, in the same manner in which Gibbs used to.

"I'm not leaving without him." he replied coldly. "Now get McGee and go!"

Ziva shook her head, letting out a long sigh, but did as Tony instructed.

Tony bolted straight out into the middle of a firefight, gun blazing, as he headed to Gibbs' side.

"Hang on," Ziva whispered as she helped McGee up to his feet.

McGee let out a painful groan as Ziva helped him up to his feet.

Ziva ran the other way--out through the side of the ruins--carrying McGee as best as she could as they made their way towards the chopper.



Tony finally reached Gibbs' side after firing off a few volleys of personal cover fire, and dropped to the older man's side.

"Boss," Tony said, panting heavily.

"T-Tony." Gibbs breathed, with a sudden cough.

"Boss, come on we gotta get you outta here!" Tony said, taking Gibbs' hand and trying to pull him up.

Gibbs sputtered, and Tony saw blood dribble out of the older man's mouth.

"Boss!" Tony exclaimed worriedly, ropping back down to Gibbs' side once more.

"T-Tony," Gibbs gasped, as he grabbed a fistful of Tony's shirt. "They're all y-yours." he sputtered.

"Boss, come on. Stay with me." Tony urged the older man, trying again to help him up or drag him, or whatever.

Gibbs' eyes were moist with overwhelming emotion as he pulled Tony down closer to him.

"Please...T-take care of them--T-Tony." Gibbs whispered into Tony's ear with a sputter.

Tony watched in horror as his boss, a man whom he admired and respected, fell eeriely silent right there in front of him.

"Boss. Boss." Tony repeated over and over. "Gibbs!" he shouted at the older man, but nothing happened.

Tony's eyes were moist with extreme emotion, and deep within burned irrepressible rage.

"AAAHhhhhhhhh!" Tony screamed as he leapt up and opened a stream of steady fire on the still approaching Iranian guards--dropping several of them out of sheer anger.

Tony then reached down and hoisted the older man's body up over his shoulders, fired a few more shots at the advancing guards, and then turned and bolted for the chopper.



A few minutes later Tony reached the chopper at the end of the strip.

"Get in!" Ziva shouted from the pilot's seat.

Tony pushed Gibbs' body onto the chopper first, and then pulled himself up into the chopper.

"I didn't know you could fly!" Tony shouted, as the chopper began to lift off from the ground.

"In Mossad it is part of our training!" she shouted back over the noise of the chopper.

Tony fired a few more volleys of gun fire at the advancing guards, keeping them at bay, until Ziva was able to manuever the chopper to safety.

McGee leaned over, still clutching at his still bleeding leg, closer to Tony.

"How is he?" McGee asked.

Tony just shook his head miserably at McGee--wiping a few tears from his eyes.

.........To Be Continued.........
All Good Things... (Chapters 9 & 10) by niceguy87
Author's Notes:
The news of Gibbs' death is delivered to everyone at NCIS. Each member of the team deals with the loss of their friend, co-worker, and boss in different ways.
"All Good Things...(Chapters 9, 10, & 11)"

Chapter Nine---

Abby sat in her lab, alone, staring at her desk phone. Vance had notified everyone, a while earlier, that word had been recieved that the team had made it out of Iran--but other than that no one knew anything else.

"Come on Gibbs, come on." Abby muttered under her breath--sounding quite flustered.

The last 3 or 4 hours that she had been waiting for Gibbs' call, she had convinced herself that he was just running a little late. She kept on telling herself that he was probably searching high and low, wherever they were at that moment, for a telephone that he could use to call her.

"Damnit Gibbs," she muttered angrily, looking down at her watch. "What's taking so long."

Suddenly, from behind, she heard footsteps--someone had entered her lab. She spun around in her chair quickly to see who it was, praying that it wasn't Director Vance.

"Oh, Ducky." She said with a chuckle. "You startled me."

Abby got up and walked out into the main area of the lab to meet him.

"For a second there I thought you were-" she started to say as she approached the aging M.E.

"Abby," Ducky began, slowly, his eyes moist with emotion and sadness. "The Director thought it might be best if you heard it from me."

"Heard what Ducky?" Abby asked, tilting her head to one side--slightly.

Ducky drew in a deep breath, and then let it out slowly.

"Abigail, there's something-" Ducky's breath caught in his throat momentarily as he tried to speak.

"Ducky what's wrong?" she asked, then suddenly. "Oh my gosh--who got hurt!?" she asked hurriedly, stepping closer to Ducky.

"Abby--Gibbs-" Ducky tried to say again.

"UH!" Abby scoffed. "That man. He always has to be the *Hero*." Abby said shaking her head, as she turned and headed for the door.

"I'm gonna go get the number of *Wherever* they're staying, call him, and give him a piece of my mind." she threatened.

Ducky moved quickly, and caught Abby by the arm as she stood in the doorway.

"Abby--he didn't make it." Ducky croaked, his voice cracking.

Abby stood, totally stunned, at the words that had just come from Ducky's mouth.

Her eyes glazed over with moisture--emotion welling up inside of her from deep within.

"What?" she breathed, unable to say anything else.

"He's--He's dead Abby." Ducky repeated.

"No--he-he can't be." she said, tears running down her cheeks. "No--no it's just not possible. It's just--Not." she cried, as she ran from the lab.

Ducky just stood there in the doorway of the lab watching Abby as she ran, almost full speed, up the stairs. He knew exactly how she felt--EXACTLY.





Chapter Ten---

Everyone, from NCIS and the like, gathered at Arlington Cemetery for the funeral of their beloved Leroy Jethro Gibbs.

Tony walked up and took his turn at the podium that had been set up for those who wanted to to give speeches on Gibbs' behalf.

"Jethro Gibbs-" Tony started, swallowing hard a knot that had formed in his throat. "Was a brave man--one of the best I've ever known."

In the audience and crowd of onlookers, there was not a dry eye among those who were members of NCIS and the team (also some of them were friends that Gibbs had acquired over the years).

Abby, Ducky, Jimmy, Ziva, Mike Franks, Director Vance, Hollis Mann, Tobias Fornell, and a few others who were really close to Gibbs stood at the front of the crowd of onlookers and others listening as Tony gave his speech--his was to be the last of the speeches. (F.Y.I. McGee could not make it to the actual funeral because he was laid up in the hospital recovering from his wounds, but because the funeral was being televised he was watching it on TV).

Finally...

Tony turned, at the podium, to face Gibbs' coffin. "And so I say-" Tony continued, as he stared at the coffin. "You were more than just a boss or a co-worker," Tony said, tears running down his cheeks. "You were *My* friend." he said, finishing his speech, his voice cracking under the weight of his emotions.

He walked down from the podium and walked over to stand directly in front of the coffin--where he stood silently still for a few seconds before proceeding.

Tony stepped forward, his hands crossed over each other respectfully, and stared down into the coffin at the lifeless face of his former boss and friend.

"Semper Fi." Tony whispered to the old man.

After Tony finished saying his final goodbye he turned and walked over to the side--so as to be out of the way.

At his signal the others began to make their way, one at a time, to say their final goodbyes as well.

Mike Franks was the first in line. He had traveled all the way from his little place in Mexico just for this occasion--and he wouldn't have missed it for the world.

"You were a damn good man, and a damn good agent, Probie-" Mike whispered to the man in the coffin, and then a thin smile crossed his lips. "I mean--Special Agent Leroy Jethro Gibbs."

Hollis Man was next in line behind Mike Franks.

"Goodbye Jethro," she whispered softly, leaning in close. "I'm sure gonna miss you."

Director Leon Vance just gave a nod as he walked slowly by the coffin, and then it was Tobias Fornell's turn to say goodbye.

There were tears in Fornell's eyes as he stopped in front of the coffin. "Jethro Gibbs," he said. "You were the *best* friend I ever had." "Hell, you may have been my only *real* friend."

Once Fornell had moved on past the coffin it was Ziva's turn to say her final goodbye(s).

As she stood there memories of the times that they had had since they'd known each other flooded her mind and her heart; and tears streamed down her cheeks. She leaned in close.

"Thank you," she whispered. "For everything."

Ziva wiped some tears from her cheeks as she turned and walked over to stand beside Tony.

Ducky and Jimmy were next in line to say goodbye. They had decided to take their turns together. Jimmy was too sad to really say anything, but Ducky, characteristically enough, made his feelings known through one of his stories.

Then it was Abby's turn to say goodbye. She stepped up close to the coffin, wearing the exact same outfit that she had worn to Kate's funeral years before, and gently laid a black rose in the coffin next to him.

"Goodbye Gibbs," she said softly, as tears streaked down her cheeks making her mascara start to run.

She then leaned closer, and just as Gibbs had done to her all those years, she placed a gentle, sweet kiss on his cheek.

Once everyone had had their turns saying goodbye, and they all stood next to each other side by side--the firing squad began *their* salute.

The squads' leader moved himself into a position just off to the side of his men.

"Ready! Aim! Fire!" the squad leader bellowed the orders loud enough for the whole procession to hear.

BANG! BANG! BANG!

Abby flinched at the first and second volleys of gun fire issued overhead--her eyes moist with sadness.

They performed the same actions repeatedly until they had finished their *21 Gun Salute*.

Once the firing squad was finished the bugler stepped up and began playing taps as a squadron of planes flew in a *Man-Down Formation* overhead.




The weekend passed painfully slow, and Monday eventually brought the team back together at NCIS. McGee called from the hospital earlier and told Tony that they wee finally releasing him and that he would be there just as soon as he made one little stop.

Things at NCIS were dreary and somber as everyone still struggled with the fact that Gibbs would never step off of the elevator and walk into the squad room ever again.

Down in Autopsy Ducky stood looking down on a vacant slab, a glass of Scotch in one hand and the other hand in his trouser pocket.

He took a sip of scotch and swallowed it as memories of the times that he and Gibbs had shared over the years ran through his mind.

"Ah Jethro," the aging M.E. said quietly. "The times we had." a thin smile crossed his lips as he downed another gulp of his scotch.

A sound from behind made Ducky spin on his heel to face the automatic door on the other side of the room. As he stood there staring at the door he drew in a long breath, and then let it back out before turning back around.

"Expecting someone Duck?" a familiar voice said from behind.

Ducky spun back around to the slab, and could swear he saw Gibbs sitting on top of the slab staring back at him.

"N-no. Of course not." Ducky replied, with a smile, as he took another sip of scotch.

"I guess I just keep hoping that I will hear you come through those doors--again." Ducky laughed.

Gibbs laughed too--or at least Ducky thought he did.

"I would offer you a glass," Ducky said, holding up his glass to Gibbs. "But I know how you prefer your whiskey to practically anything else."

He thought he saw Gibbs smile at him.

"You're right Duck."

Suddenly Gibbs jumped down off of the slab and laid his hand on Ducky's shoulder--and to Ducky it felt so real.

"Well Ducky, I guess I'd better be going," Gibbs said with a smile.

Ducky nodded--for what it was worth.

Gibbs walked towards the automatic door leading out of autopsy and stopped right in front of it.

"Oh and Duck," Gibbs called from the door. "Look in on Abby every now and then will ya." Gibbs said.

And then--he was gone.

A tear rolled down the aging M.E.s cheek as he nodded.

"You have my word." Ducky whispered.




Meanwhile at Gibbs' house Ziva sat down in the basement staring at the unfinished boat. She knew she really shouldn't be there, but she was. She had swiped the keys to the house from Tony's desk. Tony had been the one who had volunteered to hang on to Gibbs' personal effects.

Earlier she had walked around and explored the rest of the house getting a feel of the person that Gibbs was outside of NCIS. Now she was in the basement. She had been down here other times before--like the time she killed Ari to protect Gibbs after Ari murdered Kate. Then there was the time that the Iranian mercenary had tried to frame her--she had made the phone call to Mexico and asked Gibbs to save her, and he had.

Ziva raised her hand up and wiped some tears from her eyes. She turned on the stool she was sitting on to look at the spot where she'd shot Ari down years before.

"You shot Ari--right there."

"Hunh!" Ziva gave a startled cry at the voice she heard--or thought she heard. She looked up and there standing on the stairs was Gibbs--or at least she thought she saw him standing there.

Ziva nodded, not taking her eyes off of the man that she thought she was seeing.

"Saved my life Ziva." Gibbs said with a smile. "Thanks."

"Y-you're welcome." she replied, hoarsely.

Ziva swallowed hard.

"You never finished your boat." Ziva said, moving towards the boat slowly.

"Nope." Gibbs replied from the stairs. "I was gonna name it *Friendship*--yeah I thought that would be a fitting name." he said.

"Hey Ziva," Gibbs called down to her.

Ziva turned back and looked up at Gibbs.

"Keep an eye on Tony for me, okay." he said with a smile. And then he was gone.

Ziva nodded.




At Arlington Cemetery McGee hobbled up, on crutches, to stand directly in front of Gibbs' grave. He drew in a long breath and then let it back out.

---------DREAM-LIKE SEQUENCE---------

They were back in Iran taking cover behind the ruins adjacent to the airstrip.

McGee clutched his leg in agony at the pain shooting up and down it.

"I don't wanna die." he said, in agony.

Gibbs turned and knelt down beside McGee putting both of his hands around the young agent's face.

"You're not gonna die." he said. "I promise." Gibbs whispered into his ear.

---------END OF DREAM-LIKE SEQUENCE---------

A tear rolled down McGee's cheek as he stood looking down at Gibbs' grave.

"You're a good agent Tim." a voice said from beside McGee.

McGee looked up and could swear that Gibbs was standing right there beside him.

"B-Boss." McGee stammered.

"Not any more kid." Gibbs said, with a smile.

Tears were streaming down McGee's cheeks by now.

"I won't forget anything that I learned from you." McGee said. "And I won't forget you."

Gibbs smiled at the young special agent standing there on crutches.

"I know you won't." Gibbs said quietly. "And a piece of advice--don't let DiNozzo get to you."

McGee couldn't help but utter a chuckle at that last remark.

"I won't." he said quietly.




Abby sat in the elevator at NCIS. She had hit the *stop* switch just like Gibbs always used to.

Tears stained her cheeks as she sat with her knees pulled all the way up to her chest.

"I miss you Gibbs." she whispered.

"I know Abs." a soft voice said.

Abby felt a familiar arm inch its way around her shoulder. She looked up and saw him.

"Gibbs," she started to say, but Gibbs put a finger to her lips silencing her.

He pulled her close and held there firmly.

"I will always be with you Abs." he said softly. "Always."

Abby couldn't stand it any longer.

"You weren't supposed to die Gibbs." she said, angrily, looking him in the eyes.

The two sat in silence staring at each other for a long moment.

"Abby, I need you to do something for me." Gibbs said quietly.

Abby's anger abated and she settled back against the wall and Gibbs' arm.

"I need you to be strong." he said. "Can you do that?"

At first she did not answer, but then after a few seconds she answered.

"Y-yes," she said with a sniffle.

"That's my girl." Gibbs said softly, planting a gentle kiss against her temple.

"Tony's gonna need someone to lean on--and that's you." he explained. "Its gonna be hard for him--at least for awhile anyway."

Abby nodded at Gibbs.

"So I need you to be strong."

Tears streaked down Abby's cheeks once again. Gibbs reached over with his free hand and wiped several away for her. He then leaned over and whispered something in her ear.

"I love you, Abs." he whispered softly in her ear.

Then he was gone.

The relationship between Gibbs and Abby had always been sort of that of a father and daughter type deal.

.........To Be Continued.........
All Good Things... (Chapters 11 & 12) by niceguy87
Author's Notes:
Tony has a *Big* decision to make.
"All Good Things...(Chapters 11 & 12)"

Chapter Eleven---

Tony sat at his desk at NCIS staring at one of Gibbs' medals that he kept in his desk drawer. His eyes glazed over with emotion and remembrance.

"Geez DiNozzo, why don't ya just marry the damn thing." a familiar voice said from across the bullpen.

Tony looked up to discover what he believed to be his boss sitting in Ziva's desk chair.

"S-sorry Boss. I was just looking." Tony said, swallowing a lump in his throat.

"Why the hell does everyone keep calling me that?" Gibbs swore, shaking his head.

Tony looked somewhat confused by the statement, but shook it off after a second or two of dwelling on it.

"What were you thinkin' about?" Gibbs asked, folding his hands behind his head and leaning back in the desk chair.

"Well actually--I was thinkin' about my first day on the job here--at NCIS." Tony said with a grin.

Gibbs grinned too--Tony figured that he remembered that particular day as well.

"I was so nervous I spilled coffee all over you at the crime scene." Tony said with a slight chuckle. "That was the first *Gibbs Slap* I ever got." he added.

Gibbs laughed along with him, and then there was a silence that fell over the bullpen that seemed to last forever--sort of.

Tny averted his eyes away just for a second, and when he looked back at Ziva's desk--Gibbs was gone.

"Boss?" Tony whispered quietly, his eyes darting around the room.

Suddenly he felt something smack him in the back of the head, and as he reached back to rub the sore spot he heard a familiar voice whisper in his ear.

"Remember," the voice whispered softly in his ear.

A tear rolled down Tony's cheek as he sat there silently for a brief moment.

"Read you loud and clear--Boss," Tony whispered.

"Agent DiNozzo!" Vance's voice cut through the silence suddenly.

Tony stood and up and looked around finally spotting Director Vance standing right outside the door to MTAC.

"Yes sir?" Tony called back.

"Come here. We need to talk!" Vance called down to Tony.

"Be right there." Tony said, and then watched as Vance disappeared into MTAC.

Tony set the medal carefully back in his bottom desk drawer and closed the drawer, and then locked it.




Tony stepped into MTAC, closing the door behind himself, and found Director Vance sitting in one of the seats facing the big viewing screen.

Vance looked up at Tony as the younger man walked by.

"Have a seat," Vance said, around his toothpick.

Tony nodded and did as he was told. The two of them sat silently for a few moments before either one spoke.

"With Gibbs gone the position of *Team Leader* is up for grabs." Vance said plainly.

Immediately Tony was appalled at the way Vance spoke about Gibbs. Just his tone was unbearable. But he did not call him on it--not yet anyway.

"Yeah. So." Tony replied quietly.

"I've looked over your record," Vance said, looking over at Tony, and then glancing back towards the viewing screen. "It seems to me you've got a couple of options."

Tony considered this for a moment before speaking up.

"Okay. I'm listening."

"Option 1: You get assigned a new team, based overseas, and a higher pay raise." Vance started.

"Option 2?" Tony asked, clearly not amused.

"Second option," Vance shrugged. "Stay here, take over Gibbs' old position, and keep the same pay status."

Tony was about to speak up again, but Vance cut him off.

"Or, there's your third option." Vance said, rather plainly. "You can do as you've always done--and leave."

Now that statement cut through Tony right to the bone, and left speechless for a few minutes. Once the shock subsided, anger bubbled up from deep inside him.

"So what's it gonna be Special Agent DiNozzo?" Vance asked.

Tony jumped up from his seat, quickly, and brought himself to stand right in front of Vance.

"With all due respect, Director, I don't much care for your tone." Tony said angrily. "And to answer your question," Tony said lowering his voice but not his anger. "I made a promise to a *friend*--and I sure as hell plan on keeping that promise."

Before Vance could say anything else Tony stalked off out of MTAC letting the door sort of slam on his way out.





Chapter 12---

When Tony rounded the corner of the bullpen he found McGee hobbling towards him on crutches. Tony stopped and leaned over against his own desk drawing in a deep breath and then letting it out again.

"Meeting with Vance?" McGee asked.

"Yeah," Tony replied quietly.

The two men stood silently for a moment. Then Tony straightened up and reached out a hand and laid it on McGee's shoulder.

"How're you feelin'?" he asked the younger agent.

"Honestly, I've felt better." McGee replied, letting out a sigh.

"I know." Tony replied.

"How are you holdin' up?" McGee asked.

"As well as any of us are I suppose." Tony replied in a low voice.

"Spoke to the others yet?" Tony asked.

"Nope." McGee replied, rebalancing himself on his crutches.

Suddenly they heard the elevator ping. They turned to see who would step off and saw Abby emerge from the elevator car. Abby walked over and first hugged McGee, carefully, and then wrapped her arms around Tony embracing him in a warm hug. Tony returned the hug gently. A few seconds later Ziva appeared, having taken the stairs up to the squad room.

"Where've you been?" Tony asked, pulling away from Abby.

Ziva's eyes were still red and moist when she faced Tony.

"Here." She said quietly, holding up Gibbs' house keys. "I took them when you were not looking." she admitted.

Tony hugged her, and whispered into her ear that it was alright.

The group swapped conversational pieces until a few minutes later when Ducky stepped off of the elevator carrying two paper sacks.

"Ducky." Tony said, as the aging M.E. approached them. "Whatcha got there--in the sacks?" he asked.

Ducky smiled as he set the two sacks down on top of Ziva's desk.

"I thought it only fitting that we toast a glass to our fallen *Friend*." Ducky said, as he pulled 5 small glasses from the first sack, and a bottle of Jack from the second sack.

Ducky began to pour whiskey into each glass, handing them out to each member of the team as he did so, until everyone had one.

"Jethro's favorite." Ducky mused swirling the liquid in his glass. "To Jethro Gibbs." Ducky sai, raising his glass.

The rest of the team followed suit, their glasses clanging against one another as they did so.

"To Gibbs," they all said quietly, and then tipped up their glasses and drank.





The next day felt somewhat as dreary as the previous day had, but things were about to change--little did they know.

Ziva and McGee sat at their respective desks in the squad room at NCIS when Tony walked in wearing one of his suits and carrying a cup of coffee in one hand.

Tony walked around behind Gibbs' desk, unlocked the top right-hand drawer and pulled out the Sig and badge and laid them on top of the desk. He pulled a set of keys out of the top middle drawer as well.

"David. Car." Tony said, tossing the car keys across the bullpen.

Ziva caught the keys with one hand, and a confused expression crossed her face.

"Tony, are you feeling okay?" she asked.

"Got a call." Tony informed them. "Dead Marine was found this morning in a hotel just off of the beltway."

"McGee, you're staying here." Tony said suddenly, rounding on the younger agent.

"But Tony, I-" McGee started to say out of protest.

"You'll just slow us down." Tony added. "Don't worry, Ziva and I can handle it."

Tony strapped on the sidearm and badge, picked up his coffee cup, and walked around towards the elevator.

"Coming--Officer David?" Tony asked as he walked by Ziva's desk.

Ziva and McGee exchanged troubled glances across the bullpen.

"Is it just me or is Tony acting like-" McGee started to say.

"Gibbs?" Ziva finished for him, as she quickly gathered up her gear.

............The End?............
This story archived at http://www.ncisfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=3282