Undertow by TonyWhumper
Summary: A "rookie mistake" leads to darker consequences than any of them ever imagined. Lists Tony and McGee as the characters, but the whole team is involved. Rated for later chapters.
Categories: Gen Characters: Abby Sciuto, Anthony DiNozzo, Donald Mallard, Kate Todd, Leroy Jethro Gibbs, Timothy McGee
Genre: Friendship, Hurt/Comfort
Pairing: None
Warnings: Dark story, Drug use
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 7 Completed: No Word count: 18794 Read: 23532 Published: 03/28/2010 Updated: 05/28/2010
Story Notes:
A/N: Hello hello! I am back with a new story, people! I'm not totally sure how I feel about this first chapter, but I'm excited to finally be working on something new! This (obviously) has nothing to do with my McTony stories though I hope you'll enjoy them all the same! Please don't forget to read and review, as everyone knows I live for my reviews!

1. Bad Day by TonyWhumper

2. Simplest Mistake by TonyWhumper

3. Waiting Game by TonyWhumper

4. I Cry by TonyWhumper

5. In Between Dreams by TonyWhumper

6. Misery Business by TonyWhumper

7. Better Days by TonyWhumper

Bad Day by TonyWhumper
Author's Notes:
A "rookie mistake" leads to darker consequences than any of them ever imagined. Lists Tony and McGee as the characters, but the whole team is involved. Rated for later chapters.
Tap. Tap. Tap tap. Tap. Tap. Tap tap. Ta�"

"Enough!" She declared, her tone clipped as she dropped her own pen to the desk in disgust and pushed herself to her feet. Behind her, the chair hit the partition with enough force to catch Pacci's attention, though the slightly older man simply shook his head and returned his attention to his report. He was used to Kate's outburst.

"Oh, I'm sorry. Was that bothering you?" The response seemed innocent, though if the smirk was any indication, the sincerity was questionable.

Leaning back in his own chair, Special Agent Anthony DiNozzo snuck a quick glance at the clock on his computer and gave a silent cheer. Thirteen minutes and fifty seven seconds into the work day and he'd already managed to irritate the former Secret Service Agent.

That was a personal best.

Beside him, McGee merely shook his head, already annoyed with the pair's antics. He'd been assigned to the DC office temporarily, and while he was grateful for the opportunity to work under Special Agent Gibbs, on most days, he could do without Tony and Kate. Especially Tony.

All around him, the other agents pretended to not notice the ridiculous bout of sibling rivalry that plagued Gibbs' team, but the junior agent was certain that it was more out of fear of Gibbs than anything else. He'd be willing to bet an entire month's paycheck on that. While Gibbs didn't seem to really like the pair on most days either, they were his people and McGee had quickly learned that no one bothered his people.

Across the room, Tony and Kate had started bickering over something or another, but he tuned them out. It hadn't been easy at first; they were usually so loud. Especially Tony. He had a voice that demanded to be heard and an ego that refused to be ignored, though while he was fixated on harassing Kate, McGee was sure he was safe.

"Probie!"

Spoke too soon, he thought, cursing inwardly as the other man pushed himself to his feet and closed the gap between them.

"What?"

"Is that any way to speak to a superior agent, McGoo?"

"What sir?"

"Much better," Tony smirked, moving behind McGee to peer over his shoulder. "What are ya workin' on so diligently over here?"

"Big word," Kate snorted, still looking offended and harassed as she glared at DiNozzo.

"You know what else is a big word, Katie?"

"Headslap?"

"Is that technically one word? Or would�""

The sound of Gibbs' hand connected with the back of Tony's head reverberated throughout the small space. Kate could barely contain her giggle as he jerked forward, his hand coming up to rub the spot that was no doubt sore.

"Right. One word. Thank you, Boss."

Despite the former Marine's gruff demeanor, McGee could see the slightest hint of a smile as he made his way over to his desk, cup of coffee in hand.

"Gear up."

"Boss?"

"Got a hit on the BOLO for Jameson's car. Let's go."

Almost simultaneously, the three agents were in motion, grabbing their badges and weapons from their respective desks before the followed after their leader, with Tony hot on his heels.

The elevator doors opened with a quiet 'ding', allowing Gibbs and DiNozzo to slip through the doors, followed closely by Kate.

"Sometime today, Probie!" Tony called, that smirk still in place. McGee wondered briefly if any amount of headslaps would ever wipe it off of his face, though he seriously doubted it. Nothing could bring Tony down.

Releasing a sigh born of irritation and annoyance, McGee slipped in through the heavy metal doors, a quiet gasp escaping him when his elbow bumped Gibbs'. He watched in horror as the cup of coffee slipped out of the older man's hand, splattering all over the elevator and his co-workers.

"McGee!" Kate squealed, stepping backwards as she glared down at the hot brown stain seeping through her tan colored pants.

"Good going," Tony grumbled, attempting to mop off some of the excess coffee with his hand.

"I… I'm… I…"

The silver-haired agent fixed him with an angry stare, his jaw clenched just seconds before his eyes dropped to survey the mess than the junior agent had caused.

"Boss, I'm really, really so�""

"Apologies are a sign of weakness," Kate reminded him, though her tone was still disgusted.

"Not when it comes to my coffee," Gibbs grunted, returning his gaze to the young man. "You're on the clean-up crew when we get back," he muttered. "Your mess, you can clean it."

Swallowing hard, McGee nodded and backed away from the older man, avoiding the three pairs of eyes that he could feel staring him down.

All in all, not a great start to the morning.

::::::

Pulling up in front of the large Cape Cod, Tony found himself snickering quietly when McGee practically fell out of the car, his face a shade greener than his tie. It wasn't easy getting used to Gibbs' driving; Kate was a testament to that. She'd been with them longer than the Probie but every now then, he caught her gripping her seatbelt for dear life when Gibbs made a particularly erratic turn.

A more mature agent probably wouldn't have found it funny, but to him, it was hysterical and in some ways, even made him feel a little superior. He'd never gotten sick from a car ride with the Bossman.

Pushing the car door open, Tony climbed out, that same smirk still on his face as he rounded the vehicle to find McGee hunched over, an arm wrapped around his stomach as he swallowed hard in an attempt to keep the nausea at bay.

"Suck it up, McBarfbag," he laughed, pausing at the trunk. "If you can't handle Gibbs' driving, maybe you should stay back at the office next time."

The junior agent glared at him.

"Leave him alone, DiNozzo," Kate responded, though there was a smirk on her face to match his as she pushed him out of the way, lifting the trunk lid. "He can't help that he's still�""

"Both of ya, knock it off," Gibbs called. Glancing over at McGee, there was a slight look of irritation in his icy blue eyes, though he said no more.

Grabbing the bags out of the trunk, a quiet snicker escaped Kate as she passed McGee, following after Gibbs.

"Is he ever going to forgive me for spilling his coffee?" McGee asked as he straightened up, wincing slightly as his stomach turned again.

"In my experience… probably not," Tony responded, clapping the younger man on the shoulder. "Of course, Kate and I have never been dumb enough to do it," he said, offering McGee a wide grin.

"Great. Just great," he muttered bitterly.

"Cheer up, Probie. It's not like he's gonna kill ya… at least not if you're wearing this," he said, grabbing one of the bullet proof vests from the trunk before shoving it into the younger man's hands. "Watch out for the headshots though."

McGee watched Tony broke into a jog, catching up easily with Gibbs and Kate as they approached the front of the house. Shaking his head, he glanced down at the vest before pulling it over his shirt. "Can't hurt," he muttered to nobody in particular as he slammed the trunk lid shut and following after his coworkers, reminding himself that he only had another week with them.

He rushed to catch up with them as they approached the front door, startling slightly when he saw them pulling their guns. He followed suit, standing behind Tony as Gibbs motioned to them, silently issuing their orders.

"C'mon," Tony whispered, elbowing the junior agent roughly. "Upstairs."

Swallowing hard again, McGee nodded and slipped into the house, his hand trembling as he tried to hold his gun steady. For a brief moment, he envied the way Tony moved quickly and confidently through the hallway and toward the stairs. Though he had passed all of his tests and qualified as a field agent, he hadn't actually had too much experience with this sort of thing.

As they ascended the stairs quietly, he could hear Gibbs and Kate on the floor below, clearing the rooms one by one. His breath was coming out in harsh spurts as they came to the landing at the top of the steps.

"I'll clear this bedroom," Tony whispered, motioning with his head. "You take the one at the end of the hall."

He could only nod, unable to find his voice as Tony turned away and headed for his designated room. Reaching up to swipe at the sweat beads forming on his forehead, he made his way to the end of the hallway, wincing inwardly when the floor board creaked loudly under his foot.

Pausing briefly, he glanced back at the other room, listening as Tony rummaged around before he turned back to the end of the hallway. The door was sitting wide open and from where he was standing, the room appeared to be empty. Poking his head inside the doorway, he glanced around, releasing a sigh of relief when he realized there was no one in the room.

"Clear!" He called out, lowering his weapon to his side as he made his way over to the window, pulling the curtain back as he peeked outside. He could see Jameson's little red car sitting at the edge of the driveway, unoccupied.

"All clear up here, Boss!" He heard Tony call, the sound of footsteps reaching his ears as the slightly older agent approached. "See?" He smirked, leaning against the door frame as he holstered his weapon. "All worried over nothing."

"Shut up, DiNozzo. I was not worried."

"I saw the way your hand was shakin'. You ever even held a gun before, Probie?" He asked with a snort as he pushed himself off of the wall.

He glared at the Italian, looking around the small room for anything that looked to be out of place. "Of course I've held a gun before. I am a certified field agent."

The Italian chuckled, stepping further into the room. "Uh huh. Sure thing." His eyes narrowed suspiciously as he noticed the closed closet door before he turned back to McGee. "Hey."

"What now, Tony? Gonna make fun of me some more?"

"Watch it, McSensitive. Wouldn't want you to get tears on your starched shirt. You check the closet?"

The younger man turned around to see what he was talking about when he heard two gunshots ring out, the sound deafening in the small room. Time seemed to slow to a stop as he watched his partner fall to the floor, gripping his knee as his bright red blood began to seep through his light blue button-down shirt.

His brain screamed at him to hurry to his friend as the destroyed closet door was kicked open, depositing Jameson into the room. Their suspect took one look at his latest victim before he leapt for the window, throwing his fist through the glass and effectively shattering it.

Raising his gun in his shaking hand, McGee attempted to get a shot off, but he found that he couldn't even squeeze the trigger. Dropping the weapon to the floor, the junior agent turned back injured man as Gibbs and Kate burst into the room, their eyes wide at the sight.

"Call�""

"On it!" Kate responded, already dialing as the older man dropped to his knees beside Tony, pressing his hands against the stomach wound.

"McGee," he called, motioning him over as he attempted to stop the bleeding. Though McGee heard his boss' voice, he couldn't make his legs work. "MCGEE!"

"B…Boss…" Tony tried, though his voice was muffled by the blood that began to trickle down the side of his mouth.

"Shut up, DiNozzo," Gibbs ordered, though there was no gruffness in his voice.

"Ambulance is on its way," Kate said, her voice wavering slightly as she ripped the sleeve from her jacket and dropped to her knees, using the fabric in an attempt to stop the blood flowing from the agent's shattered leg. "Only you, Tony," she accused, though even from where he stood, McGee could see the tears forming behind her eyes.

"G… Gibbs…" He attempted again, though this time, he began to cough, the blood spraying from his lips.

"Oh God," McGee whispered, his eyes wide and horrified.

Glancing up at the sound of his voice, Kate blinked back her tears. "Tim," she called, attempting to keep her voice steady. "Go downstairs and wait for the paramedics. They'll need you to show them where to go."

"J… Jameson… He… I… The window…"

"That's not important right now!" Gibbs roared, his voice louder and angrier than McGee had ever heard it. "Get the hell outta here!"

Kate flinched at the sound of the older man's voice as McGee snapped into motion and hurried from the room, the sound of his harsh breathing reaching her ears. She eyed Gibbs carefully, though wisely said nothing as she turned her attention to Tony, grabbing his hand in hers as she squeezed reassuringly.

"I suppose we'll be hearing about this one for the next five years, huh Tony?" She asked, trying to keep her voice light. Despite his obvious pain, he managed a weak smile for her as he squeezed her fingers lightly.

"'S… 's a goo' one," he managed as he closed his eyes.

"No time for sleepin' DiNozzo. You stay with us," Gibbs commanded, his voice firm, though the Italian didn't respond. "Tony?"

A quiet sob escaped the woman as she glanced at her boss for reassurance. "Gibbs…?"

"God dammit!" He growled. "Get me an ETA on that ambulance. Have 'em expedite."

Her hands were trembling as she pulled them away from his leg wound and pulled her cell phone from her pocket, smearing her coffee stained pants with her partner's blood. She could feel the tears sliding down her cheeks against her will as she hit re-dial and waited for dispatch to answer.

"You do not have my permission to do this, DiNozzo. Not today," Gibbs snarled, though Kate could see the concern behind his blue eyes as the blood continued to seep through his fingers, pooling under his hands.

She could hear the sirens wailing in the distance and after muttering a silent prayer, she hurried to the broken window and peeked out, breathing a sigh of temporary relief when she spotted the flashing lights approaching rapidly.

"They're here," she said over her shoulder, snapping the phone closed between her fingers. Returning the device to her pocket, she turned back to Gibbs and Tony, though she paused when she spotted McGee's gun where he'd dropped it. Dropping into a crouch, she lifted the weapon carefully, her eyes widening when she spotted the safety still firmly in place.

::::::

The waiting room was silent save for the sound of Kate's foot tapping nervously against the linoleum floor. Gibbs had disappeared almost an hour ago, though McGee was grateful. The older man hadn't actually come out and blamed McGee for Tony's life threatening injuries, but he hadn't had to. He'd heard the accusations in the older man's voice, had seen the blame in his cold blue eyes.

And the worst part of the whole thing was that McGee knew he was right. He'd screwed up and because of his rookie mistake, there was a good chance that Tony wouldn't even make it out of his surgery.

Though Tony had been alert when he'd been banished from the room at the house, he'd been unconscious by the time the paramedics arrived, his skin looking waxy and grey under the mid-morning light that filtered in through the broken window. They hadn't been able to stop the bleeding and the Italian had been rushed into surgery as soon as they'd reached the hospital.

Dropping his head to his hands, he released a shuddery breath, jumping when he felt a gentle hand against his shoulder.

"McGee," Kate said quietly, her voice carrying in the empty waiting room. "I know what you're doing, and you have to stop."

"You don't know anything," he mumbled, unable to bring himself to look at her.

"I know more than you're giving me credit for. What happened in that room�""

"�"Was my fault, for a whole variety of reasons, Kate! Go ahead and take your pick! I didn't clear the room properly. I let Jameson get away. I couldn't even pull the trigger in an attempt to stop him!"

"Anybody could have made those mistakes, Tim."

"But I'm the one who did. And because of my stupid rookie mistakes, there's a very good chance that he's not gonna come out of that room."

Kate sighed quietly, looking over him carefully. "Look, there was nothing you could have done, okay? No one blames you for what happened."

"Gibbs does," he scoffed, dropping his head to his hands again. "I'll be lucky to still have a job when he's done with me."

"Gibbs doesn't blame you. Not entirely, anyway. He's just upset because he's worried about Tony," she explained, though she knew her assurances wouldn't help.

McGee didn't even attempt to respond, and when she reached out to touch his shoulder again, he pulled away as though he'd been burned.

Releasing another sigh, Kate slumped in the chair, dropping her head back against the wall as she closed her eyes. It wasn't long before she sound of footsteps and when she forced her eyes open, she spotted Abby and Ducky making their way into the waiting room, the Goth's cheeks streaked with tears.

"How is he?" She asked, making a beeline for Kate and McGee. "Any news yet?"

"He's still in surgery," Kate responded, pushing herself to her feet as she accepted the change of clothes that her friend offered. Her own clothes were completely covered in Tony's blood, as were Gibbs'.

"That's all? They haven't… no one has even been out to talk to you yet?" Abby asked, sniffling slightly as she sank down into the chair beside McGee, reaching for his hand.

"That is nothing to be alarmed about, my dear," Ducky assured her. "I am sure that we will know something as soon as Anthony is out of surgery."

"He's out."

Four heads snapped up at the sound of Gibbs' voice as the silver-haired man stepped into the waiting room, his face set in an angry scowl.

"How is he?" Abby asked, her voice cracking slightly.

"Still critical. He lost a lot of blood before they patched him up and it's gonna take extensive reconstructive surgery to fix his leg."

A quiet gasp escaped Kate as she sank back down into her chair, covering her mouth with her hand. "But he… he'll be okay… right?"

"Perhaps I should go speak to his doctors," Ducky offered.

"Won't do any good, Duck," Gibbs sighed. "He's bein' moved to recovery but until he's outta the woods, no visitors allowed. They don't wanna take a chance with those wounds gettin' infected."

"So what do we do now?" McGee asked, his voice wavering.

Across the room, Gibbs fixed him with a blank stare and for a moment, he did not speak. When he did, however, his voice was hard with a tinge of anger. "Now… we wait."
End Notes:
A/N: Hello hello! I am back with a new story, people! I'm not totally sure how I feel about this first chapter, but I'm excited to finally be working on something new! This (obviously) has nothing to do with my McTony stories though I hope you'll enjoy them all the same! Please don't forget to read and review, as everyone knows I live for my reviews!
Simplest Mistake by TonyWhumper
Tony groaned quietly as he struggled to pull himself out of the hazy, painful half-sleep he had been in. He didn't remember what had happened to him, but somehow, he knew he was in a hospital.

Forcing his eyes open, he blinked a few times in a feeble attempt to clear his vision before he managed to focus on Gibbs, who was sitting next to his bed, sipping his cup of coffee.

"B…Boss?"

"Welcome back, DiNozzo."

Tony opened his mouth to respond, though found he couldn't form any words as the pain in his knee began to intensify. Closing his eyes, he clenched his teeth and pressed his head against the pillow, a quiet whimper managing to escape him.

"You alright?"

"Hurts," he managed, his long fingers clenching the white sheets at his side. "W… why s'it hurt so bad?"

In a split second, Gibbs was on his feet and poking his head out the door, calling for a doctor before he returned to his agent's bedside. "Where does it hurt, Tony?"

"Everywhere," he gasped, feeling the familiar sting of tears just behind his eyes as the sound of rushed footsteps against the hard floor reached his ears.

"Agent DiNozzo?" An unfamiliar voice called as hands began poking and prodding.

He wanted to cry out, to beg them to stop touching him, but he could feel the familiar weight of Gibbs' hand resting against his shoulder and he refused to be weak in front of the older man.

Gibbs watched as the doctor checked Tony's vitals carefully as well as the various tubes and wires before he called for a nurse.

"What are you doin'?" He asked gruffly, squeezing Tony's shoulder reassuringly.

"As you know, we're going to need to do extensive reconstructive surgery on Agent DiNozzo's knee but unfortunately, we won't be able to do that until tomorrow when Dr. Reid returns."

"Doesn't answer my question."

"As you can probably tell, he's in some pretty intense pain right now, but if we allow the anesthesia to wear off completely, the pain will only get worse," the doctor explained quietly. "I'm going to put him into a medicated coma to help with the pain until we can do his surgery tomorrow."

A dry sob tore from the agent's throat as the doctor reached over to check the bandages on his mangled leg, a single tear sliding down his cheek despite his best attempts at keeping them at bay. Reaching up, he gripped his boss' forearm, squeezing with every bit of strength he had to keep from screaming in pain when the doctor jarred his leg just slightly.

"Just relax, Tony," the doctor said gently as the nurse entered the room, carrying a syringe. "It'll all be over in just a few minutes."

"G…Gibbs," he cried, another sob escaping him as the nurse inserted the syringe into his IV line, flooding his veins with the medication meant to put him under.

"Everything'll be alright, DiNozzo," Gibbs promised. "We'll all be right here waitin' when you wake up."

Tony could feel the drugs begin to take hold of his system almost immediately. His vision began to get hazy as his grip on his boss' arm began to loosen.

Gibbs watched carefully as Tony's hazel eyes slowly slid out of focus just seconds before his hand fell back against the sleeps, limp at his side. Releasing a quiet sigh, the Italian's head to fell to the side as he lost consciousness, completely oblivious to the world around him.

"How bad is it?" The agent asked, his voice quiet but firm.

"His knee cap was shattered. It may take more than one surgery before he's able to even walk on it, though we're confident that he'll gain quite a bit of his mobility back with intense physical therapy."

"And the other wound?"

The doctor sighed, glancing up at the monitor above Tony's bed. "He responded well to that surgery, as you can see. Luckily, the bullet missed any of the vital organs, though it did penetrate the stomach. After his knee surgery, he'll remain in the intensive care unit for a few days until we're sure there's no chance of infection at either surgery site."

The older man nodded, releasing his grip on his agent's shoulder. "And he can't feel anything when he's like that?"

"We can't be sure if the pain completely disappears, but trust me Agent Gibbs… it's much more merciful this way."

----

Stepping out of the hospital room, Gibbs drained the remainder of his coffee as he made his way down the hallway to the waiting room. It had been a long morning and an even longer afternoon, but despite knowing that his agent was doing as well as could be expected, he knew that it was going to be a long night at the end of a horrible day.

Crumbling the paper cup in his hand, he tossed it into the trash and stepped into the room where he was met with four expectant faces.

"Well?" Kate demanded, pushing herself to her feet. "How is he? Is he okay?"

"When can we see him?" Abby asked, leaning closer to McGee as she stared up at Gibbs expectantly.

"He'll be fine," Gibbs replied dismissively, though he didn't miss the skeptical look in Ducky's eyes as he crossed the room and sank down into one of the hard plastic chairs.

"That's it?" Kate asked incredulously, her hands resting on her hips. "What did they say?"

"Nothin' different from what I've already told you. He's scheduled for the reconstructive surgery first thing in the mornin', but you should all go home and get some sleep. There's nothin' more you can do tonight."

Kate snorted, sinking back down into her recently vacated chair. "I'm not going anywhere," she decided.

"Me neither," Abby agreed.

"Uh… Boss?"

Turning at the sound of the timid voice, Gibbs cocked an eyebrow at the junior agent, taking in his pale complexion and the concern in his green eyes.

"Yeah, McGee?"

"I thought… I thought that maybe I'd go into the office for a bit. See if I can uh… find anything else on um… on Jameson."

Releasing a sigh at that, Gibbs shook his head before dropping it back against the wall. "It's been a long day. Go home or you won't be any good to me tomorrow."

Pushing himself to his feet, the junior agent offered his boss a slight nod as he made his way out of the waiting room, his shoulders slumped and his head down.

"Abby," Kate said quietly, offering the woman a sad smile when she glanced up. "You should go with him."

"I'm not leaving until I get to see Tony," she replied stubbornly, crossing her arms over her chest in a gesture of defiance.

"He needs you," she responded.

"Butâ€""

"â€"Abs," Gibbs interrupted, nodding toward the doorway. "Go on. Make sure he actually goes home and stays there." He could see her face turning down into a dark frown, but in return, he hardened his gaze and nodded pointedly at the doorway again. "Now."

"We'll call you if anything changes," Kate promised, patting her friend's shoulder gently as she gathered her belongings.

"You'd better," she warned.

"We will."

Slinging her purse over her shoulder, she draped her heavy jacket over her arm as she leaned over, offering her cheek to Gibbs. "Promise me he'll be okay?"

"He'll be fine," Gibbs assured her, pecking her cheek gently. Though as she pulled away and followed after McGee, he couldn't help but wonder which one she was asking about.

::::::

Abby sighed heavily as she shifted her car into park, not too surprised that the bathroom light in her apartment was on. She could only imagine that McGee would be needing a long, hot shower after the day he'd had in the field.

Climbing out of the vehicle, she headed up to her apartment, deciding to take the stairs in order to give McGee a few more minutes to himself. Once she reached the door, she pulled out her key and unlocked it, stepping inside and dropping the key ring into the dish before making her way to the bedroom.

She could still hear the water running in the shower, so she busied herself with going through the drawers that she'd cleared out especially for McGee's clothes and pulling out the softest t-shirt and pair of sweatpants she could find.

"Alright, Timmy," she mumbled to herself. "You've got five more minutes and if you don't come out, I'm comin' in," she decided as she changed quickly into his discarded t-shirt from the previous night, allowing his scent to relax her.

After what felt like an eternity, the sound of running water trickled to a stop. Her entire body tensed as she waited, leaning forward on the edge of the bed in anticipation. She could hear him pushing the shower curtain back and after a moment, the door opened up depositing a very wet, clearly distraught McGee.

"Oh, Timmy."

Without another word, she pushed herself to her feet and crossed the room, wrapping him in her strong embrace. She could feel him trembling against her, pressing his face against her shoulder as he choked back a dry sob.

"I'm sorry," he managed, his voice muffled by her shirt. "I'm so sorry."

She said nothing, knowing that there were no words to ease his guilt over what had happened at that house. Swallowing hard, she blinked back her own tears and tightened her grip around him in an attempt to stop the tremors that wracked his body.

"Shhh."

Pulling away from her, he swiped at the wetness on his cheek discreetly and turned away from her, making his way over to the dresser.

"Here," she responded, her voice shaking as she held out the clothes she'd picked out, offering him a sad smile. Glancing back over his shoulder, he looked down at the items in her hand before he took them without another word.

They were silent as he toweled off and dressed, and once he was done, she reached for his hand again, pulling him towards the bed. He did not protest as she turned the blankets down, nor did he resist when she nudged him gently, motioning for him to lay down.

Rounding the bed, Abby slid in between the sheets beside him, turning on her side as she pulled him against her, knowing that despite his possible protests, he was craving the comfort.

He did not speak for the longest time. The only sound that disturbed their silence was his harsh breathing as he struggled to get his emotions under control.

"He'll never forgive me," he said after awhile, his voice hoarse.

"Gibbs doesn't blame you," she reminded him, echoing Kate's earlier assurance.

"I'm not talkin' about him, Abby. I'm talkin' about Tony."

"Timmy…"

"I've ruined his career. All because I was too stupid to check the closet. Why didn't I check it?"

"Please don't do this," she pleaded, her grip around his waist tightening.

He ignored her, closing his eyes as he released a shuddery breath. "I never should have come here. I was… I was so stupid for thinking I could handle being a field agent. I should have stayed in Norfolk andâ€""

Pressing her finger against his lips, she shook her head. "Please don't say that," she said quietly. "What happened today… it could have happened to anybody. Unfortunately, it happened to you and to Tony, but blaming yourself… beating yourself up like this? You have to stop or you're going to drive yourself crazy."

Swallowing hard, he nodded, though he couldn't bring himself to speak.

"I know that's easier said than done, but you have to trust me on this one, Timmy. I've known Tony longer than you have and the last thing he'd want is for you to be doing this. Learn from it, sure, but don't kill yourself over it." Leaning forward, she pressed a gentle kiss to his lips, cupping his cheek gently with her hand before she pulled away.

"Thank you," he responded quietly, his voice cracking just slightly.

Settling back in beside him, she shifted so that her head was resting against her chest as they attempted to relax. It had been a long, emotional day and though their tired bodies desperately needed rest, McGee was sure that it would not come but at least tonight he was not alone.

::::::

Glancing up at the clock on the wall, Kate was unsurprised to find to find that the hour hand had barely moved since the last time she'd looked at it. Slumping just slightly in the chair, she reached up in an attempt to wipe the sleep from her eyes before she pushed herself to her feet and made her way over to her partner's bedside.

It was not the first time she'd seen Tony in a hospital bed, though it had never been for anything so serious.

"We should wrap you in bubble wrap," she said quietly, her voice carrying in the nearly silent room. Reaching out, she smoothed back the hair from his forehead, frowning at how warm his skin had become.

"How is he?"

Jumping at the sound of the voice, Kate turned, a small smile playing on her lips as Ducky stepped into the room, looking as exhausted as she felt.

"Same as earlier," she responded. "Feels a little warm though."

"Ah yes," Ducky said with a nod as he stepped closer to the bed, eyeing the machines. "His temperature is up a bit."

"Should we get his nurse?"

"I'll speak to her on my way out, though I am sure it is nothing to be concerned about." Reaching over, Ducky pulled the thin blanket up just a little higher before he spoke again. "Perhaps you should head home and try to get some rest, Caitlin."

"No, I'm not leaving."

"I can assure you, Anthony would not mind."

"No," she responded, her voice firm. "I'm not leaving. I'm fine." Turning back to her partner, she frowned darkly when she noticed the wetness that was building up under his eyes. "Ducky?"

"Yes, my dear?" He asked, looking up from Tony's chart.

Kate reached for a tissue off of the small table next to the hospital bed before dabbing at his eyes carefully, feeling her own stinging with tears. "Do you think he's in pain?"

"It is hard to say," the medical examiner responded quietly, noting the way her hand shook slightly when she pulled away from Tony's flushed skin. "His doctors have assured Jethro that whatever he may be feeling is certainly less severe than if he was awake."

"He looks like he's crying." Dropping the tissue into the small can beside his bed, she reached for Tony's hand, squeezing his fingers gently.

He said nothing as he dropped a hand onto her shoulder, squeezing gently in an attempt to reassure her. "Are you positive that I cannot convince you to leave and get some rest?"

"I'm sure," she mumbled, her eyes never leaving her partner's face.

"Very well," the doctor responded kindly as he dropped his hand to his side and headed for the doorway. "I will see you in the morning then. Goodnight, Caitlin. Look after him for us."

"I will," she promised, her voice cracking slightly as she pulled away long enough to grab her chair and slide it over to the edge of the bed.

----

"She's not leavin' huh?" Gibbs asked by way of greeting as Ducky stepped into the waiting room, his shoulders slumped just slightly.

"Good guess," Ducky snorted, dropping into the chair beside his friend with a groan. "I don't think we'd be able to pry her away even if we had to."

"Nah, didn't think we could. How's he doin'?"

"His temperature is a bit elevated, though I made his nurse aware."

"Infection?"

"Possibly, though I am certain that Anthony is in good hands. Have you spoken to Abby?"

"Called her awhile ago. McGee made it to her apartment alright, though I'm sure neither of them are gonna get any sleep. Damn kid won't quit beatin' himself up."

"Have you spoken with him? Assured him that he is not one hundred percent at fault for what happened?"

"Duck…"

"I didn't think so," Ducky responded with a slight shake of his head. "Really, Jethro."

"He screwed up today by not checkin' that damn closet, but DiNozzo knew he hasn't had much field experience. He shoulda tailed him closer. I told him to keep an eye on him."

"Then perhaps you need to speak with Timothy first thing in the morning. It would be cruel not to."

"Yeah… you're right. Probably shoulda done it tonight, but with everything goin' on…"

"I don't suppose I could convince you to go home and get some rest, can I?"

Gibbs snorted loudly, offering his old friend a smirk.

Releasing a sigh, the doctor shook his head. "No, I didn't think so."
End Notes:
A/N: Thank you to those of you who took a second to send me a quick review after the last chapter! I'm very pleased with the response I've received so far for this story! I wasn't 100% if I was going to continue it or not, but after getting such an amazing reception, I decided I would, so again, thank you! Sorry this chapter took a couple of days to finish. I'm currently on the midnight shift at work and I haven't had much time to work on it! This chapter is a little short, so I apologize for that, but hopefully, I'll be able to get the next chapter out a little quicker! Please don't forget to review after reading! They really do make my day and help me write!
Waiting Game by TonyWhumper
The waiting room was empty save for the sleeping agent and medical examiner perched in the chairs across the room, quiet snores escaping them. It had been a long night filled with copious amounts of coffee and bad reruns on the television mounted on the wall.

There had been no news DiNozzo, though he guessed that was a good thing.

Pushing himself to his feet with a quiet groan, he stretched his aching muscles and made his way over to the trashcan to deposit his empty coffee cup.

Outside, Doctor Reid knocked lightly on the door to the private waiting area before stepping inside and offering his hand to Gibbs. "Agent Gibbs. I'm Doctor Reid, the Orthopedic surgeon who performed Agent DiNozzo's surgery."

"How is he?" The silver-haired man asked gruffly, shaking the young doctor's hand.

He hesitated, searching for the words he needed to explain the situation. "The damage was much worse than we anticipated. X-rays can only tell us so much, but when we actually got inside…" He trailed off, taking a deep breath. "Unfortunately, a full knee replacement won't work. We've repaired it as much as we could, butâ€""

"What are you saying? He's not gonna walk again?"

"Probably not, no," the doctor admitted, crossing his arms over his chest. "He's going to need some intense physical therapy, as Doctor Michaels told you last night. After that, he may be able to walk on it, but probably not without assistance."

"And what about field work?" Gibbs asked, thinking about his Senior Agent's career ending so abruptly.

"Even after the PT, I can't see his knee being strong enough for that. He could still work for the agency, just not in the capacity that he's accustomed to." The young doctor released a sigh and ran his hand through his short hair. "I'm very sorry. We were optimistic that we'd have good news for you, but the damage was just too extensive."

The older agent sagged under the news, leaning heavily against the wall as he tried to process what he had just been told.

"I'm very sorry," Doctor Reid said again.

"When can we see him?" Gibbs asked.

"Probably not until later this afternoon. He's being moved to recovery now and he's probably going to be there for awhile before we'll move him back to the intensive care unit."

"I wanna be there when you tell him."

"Agent Gibbs, with all due respectâ€""

"He's my agent," Gibbs growled, his blue eyes staring unrelentingly at the doctor. "I wanna be there."

"We'll have to run it by Agent DiNozzo first. If he refuses to allow you into the room, there's nothing we can do about that."

"He won't if he knows what's good for him," the agent snorted.

Eyeing the older man carefully, the doctor nodded. "I'll make sure Doctor Michaels notifies you when he wakes up. Again, I'm sorry. I wish there was more I could do."

"Yeah," Gibbs sighed, watching as the doctor made his way out of the waiting room, his white coat billowing behind him. "So do I."

Pushing away from the wall, Gibbs glanced over at Kate and Ducky before he slipped out of the waiting room, the anger over the situation welling up in his chest.

On most days, Anthony DiNozzo annoyed and pestered the hell out of him, but truth be told, the younger agent was easily one of the best agents he'd ever worked with. The very thought that his career was over for him at such a young age was almost too much to bear and as he stepped out into the early morning sunlight, he threw his fist at the wall.

His knuckles split on impact, splattering to ugly brick with little droplets of blood, but he was oblivious to the pain. In all of his years as a team leader, he'd had agents come and go, though he'd never lost an agent to circumstances such as this. Releasing a harsh breath, he turned to lean against the wall, cradling his hand against his chest as he stared out into the parking lot, narrowing his eyes just slightly when he saw Abby's hearse pulling in.

He watched as the woman climbed out of the driver's side and was quickly joined by McGee before the pair made their way towards the entrance of the hospital. They looked as though they'd been up all night, but that didn't surprise Gibbs. He hadn't expected them to get any sleep.

"Gibbs!" Abby called out when she spotted him, waving as she jogged over, tugging McGee behind her. "How is he? Did he have his surgery already? Can we see him?"

"The two of you should be home Abs," he said by way of greeting, eyeing the pair carefully. "Did you even sleep last night?"

"Of course," she responded, though she wilted under his intense gaze. "Well, okay, not really but we tried, Gibbs. We really, really tried but it just didn't happen."

"Uh huh. You should go back home. Try and get a couple hours. I'm gonna need both of you later."

"I'm not goin' anywhere," she scowled, her usually friendly face darkened as she silently dared him to try to make her leave. "I let you and Kate bully me into leaving last night and I couldn't sleep anyway, so you can just forget about it."

Both men watched as she pushed past them and stalked into the hospital, allowing the heavy doors to clang shut behind her.

Releasing a quiet sigh, McGee reached up and ran his fingers through his short hair. "Sorry, Boss. I tried to make her rest last night, but she was too worried about Tony to sleep."

"Uh huh," Gibbs responded, looking over the younger man in front of him carefully. "And what about you? You get any sleep?"

"N… not exactly. How…" he trailed off, swallowing hard. "How is DiNozzo?"

"Same as last night," Gibbs responded, clapping the younger man on the shoulder. "They're gonna let him wake up this afternoon and then I guess we'll see."

"Listen Gibbs… About what happened yesterday… I never…" He stopped, blinking back the tears that were burning his eyes. "I screwed up."

"You did," Gibbs agreed, squeezing his shoulder firmly. "But so did DiNozzo and so did I."

"I don't…?"

"Tony knew you didn't have much experience in the field. He shouldn't have left you to clear a room by yourself. I took the fact that you're a certified agent for granted, McGee. I shoulda kept you with me, showed you how we do things and I didn't. I'm as much to blame for what happened to DiNozzo as you are."

McGee said nothing as he dropped his gaze to the pavement, swallowing against the sob that threatened to escape him. "I shouldn't have come here, Boss. When I was given the opportunity to work with your team, I jumped at it, but I shouldn't have. I'm not like you or Kate or Tony. I'm justâ€""

"You're a good agent, McGee, and with a little training, you'll do just fine," Gibbs assured him before he released him. "C'mon. Let's get in there before Abby drives the nurses crazy."

Nodding at the older man, McGee swiped at his cheek with the back of sleeve before he released a shuddery breath and followed after Gibbs, his shoulders slumped as he tried to prepare himself for what he was sure was going to be a difficult day.

::::::

Shifting for what felt like the thousandth time since arriving at the hospital that morning, Abby released a loud sigh and slumped down in the hard chair, swiping tiredly at her eyes. Though she'd never admit it to anyone, she was completely exhausted and wanted nothing more than to go crawl into her own warm bed and sleep until next morning, but she refused to leave until she saw Tony.

She had been crushed when she'd found out that Kate had an opportunity to go back and sit with their injured friend after she'd been sent home the previous night, but she had tried to not make a huge deal about it, especially given the fact that she knew McGee needed her more than anyone at the hospital had.

"You okay?" McGee asked quietly, nudging her as she shifted again.

"Just can't get comfortable," she said, glancing up at him. "No big deal."

"Why don't you lay down across these chairs?" He suggested, shrugging out of his jacket before he balled it up as a makeshift pillow. "Here."

"You sure you don't mind?"

"Not at all," he promised, leaning over to press a gentle kiss to her forehead. "Go on. You'll wanna be well rested when you get to see T… Tony. He'll be pissed off if he knows you were up all night worrying about him."

"Good point," she conceded, releasing a quiet sigh as she accepted his jacket and stretched out against the empty chairs with an appreciative groan. "Wake me up if you hear anything?"

"Absolutely. Get some rest."

From across the room, Gibbs watched as she settled in beside McGee, her green eyes fluttering shut as he ran his fingers through her hair gently, brushing the long strands away from her face.

Glancing up at the sound of the door opening, Gibbs cursed inwardly when Kate stepped inside, fresh cup of coffee in hand; he'd been hoping for a doctor.

"Still no word on Tony?" She asked, pressing the coffee into his hand as she dropped into the chair beside him.

"Nope," he responded, raising his drink in thanks before he took a long sip. "Nice shower?"

"Would have been better if I hadn't been so tired that I tried to use shaving cream instead of conditioner, but all in all, not bad," she responded with a shrug. "Where's Ducky?"

"Harassin' the doctors, last I checked. Doesn't seem to be makin' much headway, but he's not givin' up."

"You really think he's gonna be okay?" She asked, lowering her voice as she glanced across the room at McGee.

The older man opened his mouth to respond when the sound of the door opening again caught his attention.

"Agent Gibbs?"

Glancing over at the sound of the voice, Gibbs pushed himself to his feet and motioned for Kate to stay put. "He awake?"

"He is," Doctor Michaels nodded. "Are you ready to come back?"

Across the room, Abby pushed herself up into a sitting position, pulling away from McGee as she wiped the sleep from her eyes. "Tony's awake? Can I see him?"

"Not now, Abby," Gibbs responded as he moved to follow the doctor out of the waiting room.

"But Gibbs! That's so not fair! Why do you get to go andâ€""

"Not now, Abby," the older man growled, offering her an angry glare. "Stay put." Tearing his gaze away from her, he forced himself to ignore the tears he'd seen building behind her green eyes as he followed the doctor of the waiting room, releasing a breath he hadn't realized he'd been holding.

The two men were silent as they made their way back to the intensive care unit, and as they drew closer to Tony's room, Gibbs could feel the anger beginning to bubble again. "You haven't told him yet, have you?"

"No, not yet. Doctor Reid made it very clear that you were to be in the room with Agent DiNozzo when we gave him the news."

"How's he doin'?"

"He's in a little pain, but he seems to be doing well. A little groggy from the surgery, but that's to be expected."

Gibbs nodded, though didn't respond as they paused outside of Tony's room.

"Ready?"

Nodding again, the agent followed the doctor into the room, schooling his face into an impassive look as he made his way over to Tony's bed.

"H… Hey, Boss," the younger man greeted, his voice weak and hoarse as he blinked sleepily in an effort to clear his hazy vision.

"Have a nice nap?" Gibbs asked by way of greeting, unable to stop his smirk as a slight smile formed on Tony's lips.

"You… You know me. I'm a… always up for a good nap," he responded, barely stifling a yawn. "'S everyone still here?"

"Uh huh. You really didn't think they were leavin', did you?"

"McGoo too? He… he's okay, isn't he?"

"McGee's fine, DiNozzo. How much do you remember from yesterday?"

"N… not much," he admitted. "He was… he was with me though, right?"

"He's fine," Gibbs repeated, not missing the way that Tony relaxed visibly at the reassurance.

"Good. I thought that maybe he…" he trailed off as he attempted to shift on the bed and realized his leg was dead weight. "B… boss?"

The older man glanced over at the doctor before he turned his attention back to his agent. "Tony…"

"I can't… I can't move my leg. Why… why can't I move it?"

"Doctor Reid is on his way in now to speak with you, Agent DiNozzo. He's the doctor that performed the surgery on your leg this morning," Doctor Michaels responded.

Almost as if on cue, the door opened again and Doctor Reid stepped into the room, his face set in a forced smile. "It's nice to see you awake. I'm Doctor Reid."

"What's… what's going on?" Tony asked, eyeing the man suspiciously as he attempted to move his leg again.

"You took two bullets yesterday, DiNozzo. We responded to a hit on a BOLO for Petty Officer Jameson's vehicle and when we were clearing the house…" Gibbs trailed off, glancing back at the doctors.

"The first surgery went well," Doctor Michaels explained. "One of the bullets penetrated your stomach, though you were extremely lucky that it didn't hit any of your vital organs. Our biggest concern, initially was the blood loss, but after we were able to stabilize you, the surgery was pretty text book."

"Doesn't… answer my question," Tony growled, swallowing hard as he glanced over at Gibbs.

"The second bullet, unfortunately, shattered your knee cap," Doctor Reid said, his face faltering just slightly when Tony winced visibly.

"Wh… what?"

"Initially, we thought that while extensive, we would be able to repair what was left, but this morning during the surgery, we realized the damage was more extensive than we originally thought."

"Boss…" Tony tried, his voice cracking despite his best attempts at steadying it. "What's… I don't…"

"I am very sorry, Agent DiNozzo."

"S… sorry? You're… you're sorry? I don't understand… Boss, what's he sayin'? I'm not… what about work?"

"DiNozzo…"

"What about work? What about my job, Gibbs?"

"Tony," he tried again, gripping his agent's arm gently.

"Fuck," the Italian whispered, closing his eyes against the tears he could already feel sliding down his cheeks. "Fuck."

He dropped his head back against the pillows as a hoarse sob tore from his throat, his hazel eyes fixed firmly on the ceiling tiles as he tried to regain control of his emotions.

"Give us a minute," Gibbs said gruffly to the two doctors. He watched as they left the room quickly, both of them appearing relieved before he turned back to his agent. "Tony."

"Just… don't Gibbs. Please," he managed, his voice cracking again as he brought his hand up to swipe at the tears sliding down his cheeks. "Please."

Falling silent, the older man grabbed the chair from the corner of the room and pulled it over to the bed before he sank down into it, releasing a shuddery breath.

"My… I know th… that I goofed off a lot, Boss, but this… my career was everything. I just… what am I… what am I supposed to do now?" He asked, another sob escaping him. "What do I do? Tell me what to do."

"This isn't gonna be easy but you're not gonna have to deal with this alone. You know that."

Tony said nothing as he swiped at the tears on his cheeks again.

"And I'm not just gonna let you go. Even if you never set foot in the field again, you're still part of my team. Nothin' changes that. You got me?"

Gibbs watched as the younger man turned his face away, his teeth sinking into his lower lip as he tried to regain his composure. Reaching out, he tapped him gently on the head, narrowing his eyes.

"Hey! You got me?"

"I gotcha, Boss," Tony responded, his voice still thick with emotion as he closed his eyes. "'M not… feelin' well. I needâ€""

"I know." Pushing himself to his feet, Gibbs dropped a hand to Tony's shoulder and squeezed gently. "We'll just be outside. I'll hold 'em off for awhile, but you know they're gonna want to see you."

"Not right now. I just… I need to be alone for awhile."

"When you change your mind, just say the word."

Making his way out of the room, Gibbs released a breath he hadn't realized he'd been holding. The hard part, for now anyway, was over, though he had to admit the idea of telling his team wasn't looking any better.

"Get it over with," he grumbled to himself as he stepped out of the intensive care unit and paused just outside the waiting room door. Pinching the bridge of his nose, he inhaled slowly before he stepped inside only to be ambushed almost immediately by Kate and Abby.

"How is he?"

"What's going on?"

He looked between the four people that were sitting around the small waiting room and ran a hand over his face as he contemplated how to explain that their friend's life had just changed forever.
End Notes:
A/N: Thank you so much to those of you who reviewed and those of you who added this story to your alerts. I'm glad you guys are enjoying this because I'm really enjoying writing it. Special thanks to my friend Kelley for all her help with this one. Don't forget how much I love reviews and I hope you guys all have a great weekend!
I Cry by TonyWhumper
Gibbs sagged just slightly as Kate and Abby hurled question after question his way, though Ducky was certain that he was the only one who'd caught it.

"Can I see him now?"

"Abs…" He started, sighing heavily as he looked to the ME for some form of help.

Across the room, the older man shrugged helplessly before he pushed himself out of his chair and made his way over to the pair, dropping his hand to the anxious woman's shoulder just as Tony's doctors stepped into the private waiting room. "Ah, Abby. Meet Doctors Michaels and Reid."

She turned toward the two men, frowning darkly. "Where is he? I wanna see him."

"Ma'am, we'd actually like to speak with all of you before we allow anyone back to see Agent DiNozzo."

"Why? He's fine, isn't he?" She turned her attention back to Gibbs, her green eyes concerned. "You said he was going to be okay!"

"Dammit, Abby. Just sit down," McGee growled from the corner, his voice gruffer than she was used to.

A look of hurt flashed across Abby's features and just as quickly as it had come, all the anger left the younger man as he slouched back down into his chair, dropping his head back to his hands. Though he wasn't sure what the doctors had come to tell them, he was positive that if their faces were any indication, it could not be very good.

Sinking down into a chair near the door, Gibbs pulled Abby down with him, squeezing her hand gently. "Just listen to what they've gotta say, then you can see DiNozzo."

"You promise?" She asked, her voice thick.

"I promise."

Abby nodded, turning her attention back to the doctors as she tried to mentally prepare herself for whatever might be coming.

"Agent DiNozzo has a long road of recovery ahead of him and he's going to need as much support as he can get," Doctor Reid started, looking over the anxious group.

"What is that supposed to mean?" Kate snapped, glaring at the shorter of the two doctors.

"Kate," Gibbs warned, squeezing Abby's hand again as she turned her face into his shoulder.

"We did as much as we could during the surgery, but unfortunately, we were unable to repair his knee fully. With strenuous physical therapy, he'll be able to walk again, but not without some form of assistance."

"Oh God…" Abby whimpered, pressing her face against Gibbs' shoulder as she stifled a sob. "He's… Gibbs, how is he gonna deal with that?"

"We're gonna help him, Abby."

"But… He…" she found herself unable to find the words she was looking for as a hoarse sob escaped her before she pushed herself to her feet and hurried out of the waiting room.

In a split second, Gibbs was on his feet as he followed her out, the waiting room door slamming shut behind him.

Doctor Reid glanced down at his hands, releasing a quiet sigh. "I'm very sorry," he said.

"When can we see him?" Kate demanded, already on her feet despite the tears stinging her eyes.

"Agent DiNozzo has asked that we limit his visitors to Agent Gibbs for the time being."

"He did what?"

"Caitlin," Ducky said quietly, pushing himself to his feet before he made his way across the room, dropping a gentle hand to her shoulder. "As difficult as this is to process, imagine how hard it is for Anthony. It's not uncommon for those in his situation to need some alone time."

"But Duckyâ€""

"We will respect his wishes," the older man warned, guiding her over to a chair.

"I did not just spend twenty four hours in this waiting roomâ€""

"Thirty-one," McGee responded, his voice hoarse.

"What?"

"It's been thirty-one hours. Well, maybe thirty since he was brought in, but…" he trailed off, his eyes burning as he pushed himself to his feet.

"Timothy, perhaps it would be best if youâ€""

"I need to get outta here for awhile, Ducky," he responded, his voice cracking. "Tell Abby... Well, I don't know what to tell Abby… Just…" He swallowed hard. "Tell her I'll be back later?"

The medical examiner nodded, watching helplessly as McGee slipped past the two doctors and headed out of the waiting room, leaving him alone with Kate.

"As soon as he's ready for more visitors, we'll let you know," Doctor Michaels promised as the pair stepped out of the waiting room.

"Do you have any idea what this is going to do to him?" Kate asked after a moment, her voice thick with unshed tears. "Even Gibbs would handle something like this better than Tony and Gibbs has no life outside of this job."

"Caitlin…"

"What's he supposed to do now? How is going to be able to cope with something like this, knowing that when it's all said and done, his life will never be the same again?"

"It will not be easy, but you need to give him more credit than that. Anthony has a way of overcoming his challenges. This one may take a little longer, though I'm confident thatâ€""

"I'm not talking about some blonde bimbo who won't give him her number, Ducky! This isn't… He's not…" She trailed off, a sob escaping her as she leaned forward, resting her head in her hands.

Leaning over, the old doctor wrapped his arm around her thin shoulders, rubbing her back gently as he tried to comfort her as much as possible, given the unfortunate circumstances.

::::::

Kate hesitated slightly outside of the door to Tony's room, rethinking whether or not she really wanted to go in and see her partner.

"Go on," Gibbs urged, nudging her shoulder with his. "He's not gonna bite."

"I didn't think he would," she retorted, her voice surprisingly steady despite her hesitancy. "I just… I don't think he wants me to see him like that."

The older man took her by the shoulders and steered her into the room, sitting her down in the chair next to Tony's bed before she had an opportunity to protest.

"He's pretty drugged up," he explained. "Can't imagine he'll care if you see him or not. Besides, you were in here last night. What changed?"

"I didn't have to worry about him waking up then," she responded, her eyes never leaving her partner's pale face. "Gibbs, I really don't think…"

She trailed off at the sound of the quiet moan that reached her ears. On the bed, Tony shifted just slightly, forcing his hazel eyes open slowly.

"Kate?"

"Leave it to you to go and get hurt, DiNozzo," she responded automatically, feeling the tears burning at the back of her eyes. "I guess you'll never let us forget this one, huh? We'll be hearing this story for the next thirty years… or at least whenever a pretty new intern starts."

The Italian said nothing as he blinked in an attempt to clear his hazy vision.

"How ya feelin', DiNozzo?" Gibbs asked, leaning casually against the wall with his arms crossed over his chest as he eyed his agent carefully.

"Never… never been better, Boss," he managed.

"Of course he's fine," Kate declared. "Don't encourage him to milk this, Gibbs. We'll never hear the end of it when he gets back to work."

Despite the fog he found himself wrapped in, Kate's words were like a swift kick in the crotch, and without warning, Tony could feel the tears welling up in his eyes.

"Kate!" Gibbs barked sharply, his eyes narrowing in warning as he glared at the brunette woman.

"'M not… 'm not comin' back to work, Kate."

"Like hell you're not! Even if I have to kick your ass back into shape myself, you'll be back! Do you hear me, Tony?" Pushing herself to her feet, she leaned over the railing of the bed and gripped his chin in her hand, forcing him to look at her. "Do you? You're not getting off that easy, so you can justâ€""

"Enough!" Gibbs roared, crossing the room as he gripped Kate's arm roughly, pulling her away from Tony as a dry sob escaped the injured man. "Get the hell outta here!"

"I'm not letting you give up this easy, DiNozzo! When have you ever settled for doing what someone else told you what you can or cannot do? Never! And you damn sure better not start now!"

"OUT!"

Gibbs could see the tears sliding down the woman's cheeks as she hurried out of the room, leaving the two men alone.

"Tony--"

"I c... I can't do this, Boss."

"Hey!" The older man growled. "Don't wanna hear you talkin' like that. It'll be an adjustment, but you'll be fine."

"Too much of an adjustment," Tony muttered, running a hand over his face slowly.

Gibbs reached out and smacked him upside the head, not hard, but enough to get his attention. "Knock it off. You're comin' back to work if I have to carry your ass around."

The Italian rolled his eyes, looking away from his boss. "Can...can I get a few minutes, Boss? Then maybe send Abs in if she's still here. As much as I don't necessarily want to see her right now...I'm afraid of what she'll do if I don't let her come back."

"That's a good point Tony. I'll send her back in 20."

Tony watched as Gibbs left the room and released a shuddery breath he hadn't realized he'd been holding. His entire body hurt despite the ridiculous amount of drugs flooding his system and he wanted nothing more than to...

He shook his head, clearing the dark thought from his mind as he leaned back against his pillow, closing his eyes.

Kate's visit had been hard, but he knew it wouldn't compare to seeing Abby. While Kate had seemed almost angry about what had happened to him, he knew he would prefer that over the looks of pity he was sure to receive from his favorite Goth.

Shifting just slightly on the bed, he cried out as he jarred his leg, tears blurring his vision. "Son of a bitch," he managed, his voice hoarse.

"Tony?"

Swallowing hard, Tony blinked back his tears as Abby stepped into the room, McGee lingering behind her.

"H... Hey, Abs."

"How're you feelin'? Wait, that's a stupid question. I'm sorry, I just--"

"I'm fine," he responded, his voice as sharp as possible given the amount of pain he was in.

Abby could feel the tears burning her eyes as she stepped closer to the bed, though she forced a smile for her friend's sake.

"I uh... I brought you a couple of magazines and McGee grabbed a couple shirts and pairs of sweatpants from your apartment. It'll probably be a few days before they let you wear them but at least they'll--"

"Yeah, thanks," he interrupted, glancing over her shoulder at the Junior Agent. "You alright, McGee?"

The younger man opened his mouth to speak when Abby cut him off. "I thought maybe I would bring my laptop to you later if you wanted to give me a list of movies you--"

"God dammit, Abby! I don't want anything but to be left alone!"

A quiet sob escaped her as she backed away, a tear sliding down her cheek against her will. "I'm... I'm sorry," she whispered.

Tony watched helplessly as she turned and bolted from the room, the sound of her cries reaching his ears.

"Fuck."

"She didn't... She's upset right now," McGee said by way of explanation.

"Go to her," Tony responded, pinching the bridge of his nose. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to yell at her."

"She knows that. It's been... It's been a long couple of days."

Tony said nothing, choosing instead to close his eyes in an attempt to forget the last two days. It wasn't until he heard the sound of McGee's footsteps on the hard floor that he released a quiet sigh, forcing himself to open his eyes again.

"Hey, Tim?"

Pausing at the doorway, McGee swallowed hard as he turned back to his partner, ignoring the sting of tears behind his own eyes. "Yeah?"

"You're… you're okay?"

"Yeah, Tony. I'm… I'm fine."

Forcing a smile to his face, the younger man waved dumbly before he turned and hurried out of the room, pulling the door closed behind him. Leaning against the wall just outside of Tony's room, he sagged heavily, trying to ignore the painful ache in his chest.

McGee took a moment to collect himself before he pushed off from the wall, schooling his face into the indifferent mask he'd been wearing for the last thirty-three hours as he made his way into the waiting room to face Tony's friends.
End Notes:
A/N: Hello, hello! So sorry for the wait on this one, you guys; it's been a pretty crazy week and as depressing as this darn story is, I have to be in a certain mood to work on it! That being said, this chapter is a little shorter than the other three, but I promise after I get all this stuff out of the way, the chaps will be longer, so just hang in there, huh? Thank you so much to Kelley for all of her help on this chapter, she is amazing like always! Also, a huge thank you to everyone who took 3.4 seconds after reading the last chap to send me a nice review! Make sure you keep 'em coming!
In Between Dreams by TonyWhumper
Sitting up in bed, a dry sob escaped Tony as he looked around the unfamiliar room, trying to remember where he was. It was the pain in his leg that had pulled him from his drug induced slumber and that, along with the incessant beeping of the machines at his bedside served as a reminder.

This was the same place he'd woken up for the last twelve nights.

Sinking back down against the uncomfortable mattress, he swiped a hand over his forehead. His entire body ached though it was his leg that was the worst. The medicine they gave him, thankfully, kept him knocked out for hours at a time but every time they started to wear off, the pain was nearly unbearable.

Releasing a quiet moan, he gathered up what little bit of strength he had and reached for the call button beside his bed when the sound of shoes slapping against the hard floor reached his ears.

"Beat ya to it," the pretty young nurse said with a smile as she slipped into the room, pulling a metal cart behind her. "Hurting again?"

"Yes," he managed.

"Like clockwork," she responded, making her way over to the bed. "I don't know why they won't give you something to keep you out longer. I can't imagine you're getting enough rest like this." Leaning over, she pulled the blanket down, offering him a slight smile. "Just going to check your leg. I need you to stay really still for me, okay?"

He nodded, closing his eyes as he took a deep breath. He could feel the bandage being pulled away from his skin and it was all he could do to keep from crying out.

"There we go," she said gently. "Almost done and then I'll give you some more medicine, okay?"

"O… okay." Swallowing hard, he released a shallow breath before he opened his eyes. "Did… did anyone come by tonight?"

"Your two girlfriends were here when I started my shift."

"Not my girlfriends."

"Coulda fooled me," the nurse responded playfully. "I think the one with the black hair was just seconds away from givin' you a sponge bath."

He chuckled, immediately regretting the action when his muscles tensed painfully. "Yeah… she probably… she probably would have. Leave the sponge in here next time and we'll test the theory."

"Might wanna wait until you're back on your feet. She looks like she could get a little rough."

"Oh, you have no idea," he responded, motioning her closer as she covered his leg with the blanket. "You should see the marks she leaves on her boyfriend. I think she really is a vampire sometimes."

"You definitely have a… different crowd, but it's clear that they all love you very much," she said, reaching up to smooth his hair back off of his forehead. "You ready for your next round of medicine? I have a feeling your father would kick my butt if I found out I was keepin' you up all night."

"My… my father?"

"Seems like a nice guy. A little grouchy, but the other nurses told me if we kept the coffee goin' for him, his bark is worse than his bite," she grinned, grabbing a syringe off of the cart. "Ready?"

He nodded, shifting just a little against the mattress in an attempt to find a comfortable position as she slipped the syringe into his IV line.

Almost immediately, he could feel his eyelids drooping, the pain receding into the background as a comfortable haze settled around him.

"Sleep well, cutie," she said as she removed the syringe and stepped back from the bed, watching as he slipped into what she hoped was a painless sleep.

::::::

The sun was just beginning to peek through the dusty basement windows when Gibbs finally laid down his sander. Stepping away from the skeleton of the boat, he sagged against his workbench and ran a hand over his tired face, trying to remember just when his sleeping schedule had gone to hell.

One could argue that he hadn't kept a normal sleeping schedule since… well, in quite a few years, but over the last two weeks, it had gotten progressively worse.

Damn DiNozzo.

Grabbing the bourbon filled coffee cup, he drained the last few drops and resisted the urge to throw the cup against the wall. He hadn't spoken to Tony since the morning after his second leg surgery the week before. The doctors had cautioned them all that it served no purpose other than to clean out the remaining bone fragments, but the word of warning had done no good. They'd all been expecting a miracle.

He'd heard from Kate and Abby that the nurses had managed to get his agent out of bed once or twice in the last week, but rather than make him feel better, their reports only served to make him angrier. DiNozzo had been out of bed, but he'd only managed to take a single step before his mangled leg gave out and nearly sent him crashing to the floor.

The nurses had gotten an ear full after that one. It had been Tony's idea, but most of Tony's ideas when it came to things like that were bad and after spending a week and a half with the man, they should have picked up on that.

McGee had been spending more and more time at the office, though Gibbs was sure Abby hadn't even noticed. She focused so intently on their broken Italian that she never even noticed how close McGee was to shattering under the guilt that he carried with him.

He'd all but ordered the younger man to quit blaming himself for the shooting that led to DiNozzo's injury, but it was to no avail. He was hell bent on shouldering that burden and nothing anybody said or did could convince him to share the blame.

Releasing a sigh, he pushed himself away from his workbench, abandoning his boat for another day. According to the schedule he'd memorized after a day and a half, Tony was just about due for another round of medication. He didn't visit when the young man was awake, knowing that he had more than enough company between Kate, Abby and Ducky, but he couldn't bring himself to stay away when his agent was oblivious to the world around him.

At least then he wouldn't have to pretend that everything would be alright when he knew it things would never be the same again.

---

Stepping up to the nurse's station, Gibbs drained the remainder of his coffee before he tossed the cup into the trash can behind the desk, offering the nurse a smirk when she turned to glare at him.

"Oh…" She said, recognizing him immediately. "It's you. All done terrorizing my nurses for the day?"

"Uh huh. For now, anyway."

"Then, please, tell me what I can do for you, Special Agent Gibbs."

"I wanna talk to DiNozzo's doctor."

"Doctor Michaels isn't in this ward today."

"Then tell me where he is and I'll go find him."

"As much as I'd love to have you out of my ward, I can't do that. He's tending to other patients and won't have timeâ€""

"I don't care what he's doin', I wanna talk to him. Now."

For a moment, the nurse debated arguing with him, until his gaze hardened. Setting her mouth in a tight frown, she lifted the phone and pressed the button to page the doctor, her eyes never leaving Gibbs'.

"Happy?"

"Ecstatic," he responded dryly. "You can tell Doctor Michaels I'll be in with my agent."

"I'm sure he'll be thrilled."

Offering the red-headed woman a sarcastic grin, Gibbs stepped away from the nurse's desk and made his way back down the hall to Tony's room.

He froze in the doorway when he watched Tony's eyes flutter open sleepily just seconds before turned his head to the sound of the footsteps. "Oh… hey, Boss," he greeted, his voice thick with sleep. "Thought… thought you were one of the nurses."

"No such luck," the older man responded, school his face into the usual look of indifference. "How's the leg?"

"Just…" he trailed off, barely stifling a yawn. "Just peachy. I'll be up an' outta here in no time." Releasing a quiet sigh, Tony shifted on the bed just slightly, a gasp escaping him as a sharp pain shot through his leg. "Sonofabitch," he cursed, blinking back the tears that threatened to fall. "Don't… don't think I'll ever… get used to that."

Gibbs was at a loss for words as he lingered by the doorway. Though he wasn't a man of many words, there was so much he wanted to say to the younger man, but he had no idea where to begin. Luckily though, it wasn't long before Tony's eyelids began to droop again.

Thankful for the reprieve, he began to back out of the room when DiNozzo's weak voice stopped him.

"Don't go, Boss."

"You need your rest."

"Not… not time for my medication yet. Gonna have to wait this one out for awhile."

"Tonyâ€""

"Don't… don't like bein' alone in here. Too much to think about, y'know?"

"Yeah…Yeah, I know."

"When d'you think they'll let me come home?"

"I'm not sure, but we'll ask the doctor."

"Haven't seen him," Tony mumbled. "Haven't seen anyone but Abby and Kate."

"Ducky's been here too."

"Must be when I'm asleep," Tony responded, stifling another yawn. "Never… never comes when I'm awake. Neither do you. Or McGee. Where is McGee?"

"Back at the office."

"We get Jameson yet?"

"No, not yet."

"Wanna get him, Boss. S'his fault."

"We'll get him, Tony," Gibbs promised, sinking down into the chair beside his bed, releasing a quiet sigh. "We're gonna get him."

"S'good. I know you will. You… you always get your guy."

"And I promise we'll make the sonofabitch pay."

A quiet knock sounded on the door and Gibbs couldn't help but feel thankful for the interruption.

"Sorry," the nurse said sheepishly as she slipped into the room, pulling the metal cart behind her. "All ready for your medicine, Tony?"

"No," he mumbled. "Talkin' to Gibbs. Don' wanna sleep."

"Go on, DiNozzo. I'll be here when you wake up."

"Promise?"

"I promise," the silver-haired agent said. "We'll talk later."

"Tell Doctor Michaels I wanna go home, 'kay Gibbs? I wanna go home."

"I'll tell him."

"Thanks, Boss."

Gibbs watched as the nurse removed a syringe from her cart, slipping into Tony's IV. It wasn't long before his agent's body went limp, the look of pain disappearing almost instantly from his face.

"Doctor Michaels is on his way in now, Agent Gibbs," the nurse told him, adjusting Tony's blanket gently.

Offering a curt nod, Gibbs sank back into the chair, his eyes never leaving his sleeping agent as the nurse slipped back out of the room almost as quickly as she'd come.

It wasn't long before another set of footsteps in the hall caught his attention. Pushing himself to his feet, he swiped his hands on the front of his pants before he stepped out into the hallway to greet Tony's doctor.

"Agent Gibbs," Doctor Michaels said by way of greeting, holding his hand out for the older man.

"How's he doin'?" Gibbs asked, gripping the doctor's hand briefly before he released it. "Really."

"I wish I had better news for you, but unfortunately, there's no change from our original diagnosis. We won't know anything for certain, of course, until we get him into physical therapy but that's going to be at least another two weeks."

"Why the wait?"

"We have to give his leg a chance to begin the healing process before we put the added stress on it. The kind of therapy he's going to need just to be able to walk more than a few steps at a time is going to be intense. If we sent him in there now, he'd only do more damage."

"What about him coming home?"

"Not an option right now. He would need a lot of assistance and with him living alone on the third floor of an apartment building, it's just notâ€""

"What if we made other arrangements?"

"As long as they included him having twenty four hour assistance, then we would be able to release him. But I should warn you… caring for someone with this type of injury is not an easy task."

"I don't care. It would be better for him than bein' cooped up in this damn hospital."

"I'll have to speak with Doctor Reid before we're able to formally discharge him, but I should have an answer for you by the end of the weekend."

Offering the doctor a curt nod, Gibbs shook his hand in thanks.

"I'll be back this afternoon to speak with Agent DiNozzo before his next round of medication."

"Make sure you do," Gibbs said, a slight warning to his tone. "He said he hasn't seen you."

"I'll make sure I speak with him," the doctor repeated.

"Good." Crossing his arms over his chest, he watched as the doctor turned and disappeared down the hall before he released a breath he hadn't realized he'd been holding and slipped back into Tony's room.

"Just hang in there a little longer, DiNozzo. Gonna get you out of here." Though he was unsure whether or not Tony could even hear him in his drug induced slumber, he couldn't help but notice the way he seemed to relax even more against his mattress and he liked to think that Tony heard him just fine.
End Notes:
A/N: Hey there guys! Sorry this one took me a little while. I've just been so darn unmotivated, but hopefully I'm over that now! Thank you so much for the reviews after the last chap. I can't tell you how much they mean to me. Nothing makes me smile like seeing my inbox light up with new alerts so make me happy and click that fun little 'review' button at the bottom of the page, huh? Thanks again and I hope you enjoy this one!
Misery Business by TonyWhumper
The first thing Tony was aware of as he began to climb out of his drug-induced slumber was the sound of hushed voices. It was something he'd grown accustomed to over the course of the last two weeks; the quiet whispers that always ceased when they realized he was awake.

"…have to see what else he thinks he's going to need."

"And you're going to stay tonight, right? Then we'll switch off in the morning?"

"Yep. I've actually made up a schedule. I thought we'd go over it this afternoon with Gibbs, just so he's not completely bombarded when we all start showing up at his house."

They were making plans, Tony realized. They were always making plans and while he couldn't tell for sure, he was almost certain they had to do with him. Funny that they never bothered to ask what he wanted.

From the bits and pieces of the conversations that he'd put together, he knew that his doctors were discharging him later that afternoon. They weren't happy about it, but Gibbs had gone to bat for him and got them to agree to release him, but of course there were stipulations. Things could never be easy.

He was being discharged into the care of his teammates. More specifically, into the care of Gibbs and while he was grateful that he wouldn't be stuck in the hospital any longer, he wasn't quite sure how to feel about that.

Releasing a quiet sigh at the thought, he forced his heavy eyes open and almost immediately the conversation halted as Kate and Abby turned their full attention to him.

"Hi there," the forensic scientist greeted, leaning over to press a gentle kiss to his forehead. "How ya feelin' today?"

"Tired," he responded, his voice thick with sleep. "Wha' time s'it?"

"A little after ten. You slept the whole morning away, as usual," Kate responded, her tone light. He knew she was baiting him, trying to get a rise out of him as she always did, but he just didn't have the energy.

"Nice try, Kate," he muttered pushing himself up against the pillows as best he could before the pain in his leg became too much. "Where's… Where's Gibbs?" He asked through gritted teeth, barely resisting the urge to cry out.

"He should be here in an hour or so to pick you up," Abby smiled, running a hand through his hair. "You're goin' home today!"

"To Gibbs', you mean."

"Well… yeah. But at least you won't be in the hospital anymore."

Rolling his eyes, Tony dropped his head back against the pillows, sighing quietly. "I need to get dressed."

"That's what I'm here for," Abby grinned, holding up the pair of sweats she'd grabbed from his apartment for him to wear home. "I'm pretty sure these will fit over the bandages."

Reaching for his clothes, a quiet growl escaped him when Abby held them out of reach. "Abby…"

"You need help getting dressed, Tony."

"I can do it myself. Give 'em to me."

"You can hardly move! Just sit still and let Kate and I help you."

"I don't want your God-damned help!" He snarled, though he immediately regretted it when she all but threw the clothes at him, the tears shining in her green eyes.

"Fine. Do it yourself then," she responded.

"Abby," he tried, but it was to no avail. Before he could even utter another word, she was on her way out the door without so much as a second glance.

"I'll go talk to her," Kate sighed, pushing herself up from the chair beside his bed before she dropped a hand to his shoulder gently. "Do you want me to send a nurse in to help get you dressed?"

"I can dress myself," he mumbled, not meeting her eyes as he pushed himself up just a little more against the pillows.

"One of these days, you'll stop being a stubborn jackass. I won't hold my breath for it, of course, but I have faith that it will happen," she smirked, patting his arm before she hurried out of the room, intent on finding her friend.

He waited until the door closed behind her before he reached around to untie his hospital gown, but he immediately regretted the action. A loud gasp escaped him as the movement pulled at the stitches in his stomach, very nearly bringing him to tears. Dropping his arm back to his side, he dropped his head back to his pillow and took a deep breath, trying to decide on a plan of action.

His mind was still clouded from his last dose of painkillers, preventing him from thinking clearly. He could feel the anger beginning to well up in his chest at the thought that he couldn't even manage to untie a hospital gown, and with a cry of rage, he balled the sweats up and threw them as far as he could. Gripping the wire attached to his IV, he pulled, barely registering the pain as the needle was ripped from his skin.

From the time he was eight years old, he'd always taken care of himself and now, the fact that he could not even manage to change his clothes without assistance threatened to break him. He'd managed to hold himself together, to control his anger over the situation he was in, but somehow, in the last three minutes, it had become too much to bear.

The last thing he wanted was to have to depend on anybody other than himself.

A dry sob tore from his throat as he pushed himself up again, his vision blurry with tears. Swinging his good leg over the edge of the bed, he gripped his other thigh and attempted to move it despite the excruciating pain that sliced through the drug-induced haze that he'd yet to come completely out of.

He was vaguely aware of the sound of the door being forced open followed by voices calling his name, but he couldn't bring himself to focus. He could feel the hands pushing him back against the mattress and while he refused to give in, they were stronger. Several hands gripped his arms, holding him there against his will and it wasn't long before he felt the stick of a needle in his arm.

His muscles began to relax almost immediately despite his best attempts to fight off the effects of whatever sedative they'd administered. A quiet moan escaped him as his fingers clenched the sheets on his bed one last time before the darkness began to settle around him once more.

It was nearly an hour later when Tony began to pull climb out of his drug induced haze, the throbbing pain in his leg bringing him back to the here and now. He groaned loudly, shifting against the pillows in an attempt to make himself more comfortable.

"I should make your ass stay in the damn hospital," Gibbs growled from his place beside Tony's bed, his eyes never leaving the newspaper in his hands.

"B… Boss?"

"You heard me, DiNozzo. What the hell were you thinkin', pullin' a stunt like that? You know how hard it was to convince your doctor to release you in the first place?"He asked, dropping his paper before he pushed himself to his feet. "You think you're capable of behavin' like a sane person now?"

"I'm fine," he muttered, reaching up to swipe tiredly at his eyes. "Can we go?"

"Gotta get you changed first unless you wanna parade around the parking lot in an airy hospital gown. Your call," the older man responded, a slight smirk on his face.

"I can dress myself," he managed, though his voice was void of all emotion.

"Because that worked out so well for you last time," Gibbs responded dryly, grabbing his agent's discarded clothes from the other empty chair. "Trust me, DiNozzo. You give me any shit and a sedative will be the least of your worries. We clear?"

For a half a second, Tony debated arguing, but he knew his boss wouldn't back down as easily as Abby had. With a resigned sigh, he nodded, dropping his head back against the pillows. "Clear."

"Good. Stay put. I'll be right back."

"Where you goin'?"

"To get your discharge papers and make sure they haven't changed their minds before I go through the trouble of gettin' you changed," he snorted as he headed out of the room, leaving Tony alone with his thoughts once more.

He didn't have much time to dwell on his current situation, because almost as soon as Gibbs left the room, Doctor Reid stepped in, his usual smile pasted on his face. "How are we feeling today?"

Offering the man a bored look, Tony rolled his eyes. "Can I go now?"

"Almost. There are a few things I wanted to discuss with you first then we're going to go ahead and put a cast on that leg before we send you home."

"Cast?"

"To help you keep it still. It's easy to do here when you're confined to a bed, but when you go home, it won't be nearly as easy. Of course, having a cast does not mean you're to be up and moving around constantly. We are sending you home with some crutches, but they're to be used for short periods of time only."

"Whatever. Can I go now?"

"Not quite," Doctor Reid said, a frown forming on his face. "If you aren't going to take this seriously, then I can't discharge you, Tony. I know you're anxious to get backâ€""

"I get it," the agent snapped, his tone coming out in a growl. "I'll stay off my feet. Gibbs will make sure of that."

"I certainly hope so, for your sake," the doctor sighed. "We've already scheduled you for your first physical therapy session. It's in two weeks, but I'm going to want to see you in my office the day before so we can cut the cast off."

"Fine, fine," Tony replied dismissively, glancing over to the doorway when his boss stepped back into the room, one of the nurses in tow.

Doctor Reid's frown darkened just slightly before he shook his head, motioning for the nurse. "Okay then. Let's get this cast on you, then you'll be on your way."

Leaning against the door frame, Gibbs released a quiet sigh. From the very minute that Tony made it known that he wanted to be discharged, he'd done everything in his power to make it happen, as though granting him this small thing would somehow make up for everything he'd lost two weeks ago. He'd been certain that he was making the right call in pushing the doctors to release him, but now, he wasn't so sure.

::::::

It was the quiet creak of the bed that tipped him off first. Though sandpaper scraping against wood should have masked the sound, he heard it loud and clear. One creak followed by another and in a half a second, he'd dropped his worn sandpaper to the workbench and practically sprinted to the stairs.

It was something he'd promised he wasn't going to do. In fact, it was the whole reason he'd sent Kate and Abby home despite their numerous protests. The last thing Tony DiNozzo needed right now was someone to wait on him hand and foot. There was a need for independence that he'd seen shining through in the hospital, but despite earlier promises to himself, he found himself taking the stairs two at a time.

Throwing the basement door open, he paused, listening carefully. Another creak, this time coupled with a quiet moan. His eyes found the bright numbers illuminating the front of the microwave and did a quick mental calculation before he hurried into the front hallway, grabbing Tony's bag of medicine.

The nurses had given DiNozzo a final dose of medication before they'd sent him on his way that afternoon, effectively knocking him out. He'd protested it, of course, in typical DiNozzo fashion until it kicked in and then it was all he could do to stay awake until Gibbs got him in the house and into the large bed he'd moved downstairs.

"Sonofabitch!"

The quiet curse pulled Gibbs from his thoughts. Medication in hand, he made his way over to the living room, leaning casually against the frame as he watched his senior agent, completely and totally unnoticed.

There was a thin sheen of sweating coating his forehead as he struggled to push himself up on the mattress. The cast that Reid had fitted him with came up to his mid-thigh, completely and totally immobilizing his shattered knee. Even finding a comfortable position on the bed was nearly an impossible task and if it hadn't been Tony on that bed, watching him try to push himself up might have been funny.

But it was DiNozzo, the man who'd downright annoyed him at times with all his excess energy and at that very moment, Gibbs couldn't think of anything less funny.

Making his presence known, he pushed himself off the doorframe, dropping the bag of medicine onto the coffee table. "Where you goin'?" He asked, his voice rougher than intended.

"Bathroom," was the barely audible reply. Cocking an eyebrow at the younger man, Gibbs reached for the crutches propped up against the wall, but Tony's voice stopped him. "Don't!"

It was only a single word, but Gibbs could hear the anger in his voice. "What?"

"Don't need your help," he spat, maneuvering himself to the edge of the bed. "I can do it myself."

"Whatever you say, DiNozzo." Backing away from the crutches, Gibbs held his hands up in surrender. It was almost painful to watch him reaching for the crutches, his face screwed up in a look of pain and it took every bit of his willpower to keep from grabbing the damn things and thrusting them into his hands.

He knew that this was something Tony had to do for himself and as much as he wanted to help, he stayed where he was. He breathed a quiet sigh of relief when Tony's hands finally closed around them, pulling them closer.

Gripping the tops of the crutches firmly, Tony pulled himself to his feet, barely stifling a cry as he jarred his leg. Somewhere in the back of his head, he was aware that he'd pulled on the stitches in his stomach, but it was nothing compared to the excruciating pain in his leg.

Closing his eyes, he swallowed hard and took that first tentative step, gritting his teeth to help stifle the embarrassing sounds he was sure he'd make.

Though the bathroom was less than twenty feet away, it seemed like an eternity and by the time he'd made it there and back, he was completely and utterly exhausted. Sinking down onto the mattress, he dropped his crutches to the floor beside the bed for better access, a quiet moan escaping him as he shifted to find a position that wouldn't hurt.

"You ready for your medicine?" Gibbs asked, his voice startling Tony from his thoughts. He'd almost forgotten that he was still there, and the very thought made him angry. In the two years he'd worked with Gibbs, he'd done everything possible to avoid showing weakness in front of him, and now, the older man had a front row seat to him at his weakest.

"Don't need it," he growled.

"Don't be an idiot, DiNozzo. Take the damn medicine."

"I said I don't fucking need it!"

Gibbs could feel the anger rising in his chest, though he managed to curb his desire to deck the younger man, knowing it was the pain talking. "Tony…" he started, a warning tone to his voice. "Do not make me pin you to the God damned bed and shove these down your throat."

The Italian held his boss' gaze defiantly for a moment before sagging, knowing that the silver-haired man wouldn't hesitate to follow through with his threat."Fine," he muttered, dropping his gaze. "Gimme the damn pills."

Releasing a sigh of relief, Gibbs fished a bottle from the bag, his eyes scanning the label before he tossed it to his agent, a frown darkening his face when he missed.

Tony could feel Gibbs' eyes on him as he fumbled with the childproof cap on the top of the bottle, his hands shaking slightly as he struggled. His leg hurt so bad and though he'd argued with the older man about taking his medication, he just wanted the pain to go away.

He could feel the anger beginning to well up in his chest after another unsuccessful attempt at opening the bottle and with a loud cry, he threw it across the room.

"And what exactly did that accomplish?" Gibbs asked as he made his way over to the bottle.

"It made me feel a whole hell of a lot better," he spat, another low moan escaping him as he jarred his leg.

"Did it really?"

The younger man didn't answer, dropping his head back to the pillow as he closed his eyes, swallowing back another moan. His face, while still sweaty, had gone pale. Releasing a quiet sigh, Gibbs gripped the bottle in his hand before he headed into the kitchen to get his agent a glass of water.

It wasn't long before he heard Tony's voice calling out to him, his tone pained.

"B… Boss?"

He shook two pills out of the bottle and into his hand before he made his way back into the living room, his face impassive despite the concern he felt for his agent. "Yeah, DiNozzo?"

"'M sorry," he mumbled. "Don't… don't mean to be such an ass. Just… can't help it."

"I know." Without another word, he handed the younger man the glass of water before he pressed the pills into his hand. "Take them. You'll feel better."

"Doubt it," he managed, though he swallowed the pills without protest. "Don't help with the pain. Just puts me to sleep."

"We'll talk to Ducky in the morning," Gibbs promised. "See if we can get you switched to something else."

"Thank you."

"You're welcome. Get some rest, Tony."

He watched as he shifted on the bed, kicking the covers away from his body with his good leg. It wasn't long before the pain killers began to take effect and with a final sigh, Tony drifted off.

Sinking down into the chair near the doorway, Gibbs crossed his arms over his chest. He'd promised himself that he wouldn't do this, that he wouldn't hover as Kate and Abby had planned to do, but here he was, watching over Tony like a mother hen.

The thought was enough to bring a slight smirk to his face as he dropped his head back against the back of the chair, settling in for a long night.
End Notes:
A/N: Holy cow! I'm back! So so sorry for the long wait between chapters, but real life has been kicking my butt these last couple weeks. I'm in the process of moving, so until we get completely settled, the updates may be scarce. The good news is I'm back at work for a vacation from my vacation so hopefully, the updates won't be *too* scarce. But you know what motivates me to write faster? You guessed it: reviews! So keep them coming, huh? Huge thanks to my friend Kelley for all her help with this chapter! You're the best girl!
Better Days by TonyWhumper
The squad room was silent save for the sound of fingers tapping quietly over a keyboard. The building had been almost empty for hours, though he was sure he'd heard Nichols' team stomping around upstairs somewhere. Releasing a quiet sigh, McGee sat back in his chair, rubbing his tired eyes in an attempt to clear his blurry vision. His back ached from the hours he'd already spent hunched over the computer, but he refused to give up just yet.

"I know you're out there somewhere," he muttered to the empty room before he took a deep breath and leaned forward again, his fingers poised and ready to enter Jameson's information into the computer for what felt like the millionth time.

They were the same stats he'd been typing in for well over two weeks now and despite the fact that he kept the information posted to the top of his computer monitor, he knew it wasn't necessary. Petty Officer Rodney Jameson was a name he knew he would never forget.

"It is never a good sign when you start talking to yourself, Timothy."

The voice was quiet, though it startled him from his thoughts. Turning, wide-eyed, he was surprised to see Ducky standing behind him, resting his arms on the partition that separated their bull pen from the rest of the third floor. He hadn't heard the elevator ding, nor had he heard the sound of the stairwell door closing. Either he was losing it completely, or the old medical examiner had taken a page or two out of Gibbs' book on the art of sneaking up on people.

"What are you doing here so late, Doctor Mallard?" He asked, minimizing the search screen on his monitor before turning completely in the chair to face the old man.

"Perhaps I should ask you the same thing," he mused, a tired smile playing on his lips. "But since I am sure I already know-"

"I'm just trying to get caught up on some paperwork," he responded, dropping his eyes just slightly.

"Something so pressing that it can't wait until morning?"

"Something like that. What about you?"

"Just finished up an autopsy for Nichols. It was fairly straight forward. In fact, it reminded me quite a bit of a young man I once had the displeasure of autopsying a few years ago. You see, what made his case so interesting was…" he trailed off at the dull look in the young agent's eyes. "Well, perhaps I'll save that story for another time," he said kindly.

It was all McGee could do to keep from releasing a sigh of relief, though he forced a smile for the older man's benefit.

"It's quite late, you know," Ducky said, glancing down briefly at his watch. "You should head home. Get a few hours sleep. I dare say Jethro will want you at your best in the morning."

"I'm not gonna be much longer," he lied.

"Good," Ducky responded, tapping the partition gently before he pulled away from it. "Right then. Have a good night, Timothy. Sleep well."

"Thanks, you too. And Ducky?"

"Yes?"

Hesitating slightly, McGee bit down on his bottom lip gently. "Have you uh… I was just wondering how DiNozzo was doing."

"Ah. He's doing as well as can be expected, my boy. He'll have a long road ahead of him, but I'd venture to say that he'll come out of this just fine. Maybe not completely the same, but just fine. And forgive me for suggesting so, but I do think it would do you both a bit of a good if you went and saw him."

"I don't…" he trailed off, swallowing hard. "Don't think I'm quite ready for that."

"I understand your need and desire to find the bastard who did this to Anthony, Timothy, but don't run yourself into the ground trying to do it. Jethro won't tolerate it and I can tell you that it is not what Tony would want either."

The young agent said nothing, though his shoulders slumped as he turned back to his computer monitor in an attempt to ignore the older man's intense gaze.

"Very well," Ducky said after a moment, releasing a quiet sigh. "One of these days, hopefully you will be ready to let some of this guilt go, but I can see that today is not that day."

Eyeing the younger man for a moment longer, the medical examiner pushed away from the partition and made his way to the elevator.

"Ducky?"

Stopping at the quiet voice, he turned, his frown darkening at the distraught look on the agent's face.

"Could you just… tell him I was asking about him?"

"Of course, my dear boy," he said with a curt nod. "Goodnight, Timothy."

"Goodnight."

::::::

Two Days Later…

Gibbs released a quiet sigh as he pulled his polo shirt over his head before he stepped out into the hallway and pulled his bedroom door closed behind him. Checking his watch, he descended the stairs quickly and stopped just outside of the living room, watching as his Senior Agent slept.

The younger man had been out of it for the better part of the last two days, thanks in large part to his medications. The first two days after being released from the hospital hadn't been easy for either of them, but now that he was sure Tony was settled as much as possible given his horrendous injury, Gibbs knew he had to return to work, if only for a few hours.

He had arranged for Abby to come and sit with the Italian until he was able to pull himself away from the office, though he'd promised to send a replacement in the form of Ducky around lunchtime. Tony had been complaining about his medications not working properly and the good doctor had graciously offered to come by and see what he could do.

"Abby?"

Glancing up from her friend's bedside, Abby offered Gibbs a small smile. "Hey there. Heading out?"

"Uh huh. You sure you're gonna be okay with him?"

"I'm sure."

"He's not to get out of the bed unless it's to go to the bathroom and make sure he uses his crutches."

"Gibbs…" She trailed off, barely stifling a quiet giggle. "We're going to be fine."

"Yeah, as long as he's asleep," the older man muttered before he crossed the room, dropping a quick kiss to the top of her head. "He gives you any trouble, you call me and I'll be right home."

"We'll be fine," she repeated.

Glancing back at his agent once more, he nodded. "He's supposed to take his medication again around 1100 hours, but try to hold him off if you can. Duck's gonna wanna talk to him when he gets here, and that stuff knocks him out almost right away. If it's botherin' him too bad, go on and give it to him, butâ€""

"I never knew you to be such a mother hen, Gibbs," Abby teased, ignoring the blank stare that the other man threw her way. "Tony's going to be just fine. I'll take good care of him."

"It's not him I'm worried about," he responded, the slightest hint of a sigh escaping him. "He's not himself right now, Abs. Can't really blame him for that, but I don't want you thinkin' that when he wakes up, he's gonna be the DiNozzo you're used to. Anyway," he shook his head. "Like I said, you need me, you call. I can be here in ten."

Biting on her lower lip gently, the younger woman nodded before she turned back to her sleeping friend. "We'll be fine," she said quietly, though whether she was reassuring herself or Gibbs, she wasn't quite sure.

Forcing his tired eyes open at the sound of incessant clicking, Tony allowed a quiet groan to escape him. The noise stopped almost immediately, and to his left, he heard the sound of shuffling before Abby's smiling face came into view, peering down at him.

"Good morning, sunshine," she greeted.

"Wha' are you doin' here?" He asked, his voice thick with sleep.

"Keeping you company."

"You mean babysitting," he corrected, stifling a yawn as he attempted to push himself up against the pillows. "Gibbs go back to work?"

"Not willingly. How are you feelin'?"

"Same as I was the last time you saw me," he responded gruffly, wincing as he stretched out as much as possible without pulling on the stitches in his stomach.

Sinking back into her chair, she bit back a quiet groan when she heard the irritation in his voice. Though she'd seen his attitude in full swing at the hospital and Gibbs had warned her that it had not improved, she'd been hoping that being home would have helped with his mood.

Apparently, it hadn't.

"You want me to fix you something to eat?"

"No." Without saying another word, he leaned forward, reaching for his crutches.

"Where are you going?" She asked, moving to grab them when his fingers closed around her wrist, stilling her movements.

"Don't. I can get them myself."

For half a second, she debated arguing with him over the fact that he was being so stubborn, but quickly decided against it. Holding her hands up in surrender, she sank back down into her chair and offered him what she hoped was a sincere smile. "Okay. I'm sorry."

He said nothing as he gripped the crutches in his hand before maneuvering himself up carefully, closing his eyes against the pain in his leg. "Fuck," he hissed.

"You okay?"

An angry retort was on the tip of his tongue, but he bit it back carefully, and instead offered her a curt nod. Repositioning the crutches under his arm, he took a deep breath and started for the bathroom, each step more excruciating than the last.

She watched him struggle to the next room, tears burning her eyes as she watched him go. Gibbs had warned her about his need for some sort of independence, but it felt like a cruel and unusual punishment to just sit by and watch, knowing how bad he was hurting.

By the time he made it back to the bed, there was a light sheen of sweat over his forehead and cheeks. Sinking down onto the mattress with a groan, he laid his crutches against the wall before he ran his hand over his face. "I don't…" he trailed off, swallowing so hard. "I don't mean to be so nasty."

"Tony…"

"I'm so angry, Abby. I can't… I can't even go to the bathroom without being completely and totally wiped out and it's not… it's not fucking fair."

Leaning forward in the chair, she reached for his hand, relieved when he didn't pull away. "You have every reason to be angry about this, Tony. And I'm going to say this and I just… I hope you understand that I'm not trying to hurt you, but you have to stop taking it out on us. We know you're hurt and we know you're angry, but we just want to help you."

"I know," he responded, dropping his eyes to their linked hands. "I know. I'm sorry."

Standing up from the chair, she leaned over and pressed a gentle kiss to his forehead, smiling sadly when he leaned into her touch. "We love you, Tonyboy."

He closed his eyes against the unfamiliar sting of tears, pinching the bridge of his nose as he got his emotions under control. "Um…" he started, pausing to swipe at his nose. "What time is it?"

"You still have another couple of hours before Ducky gets here with your new meds, but we can watch a movie or something if you want to."

The Italian was silent for a moment as he contemplated the position he was in before nodding in agreement. "Alright. But only if we can watch Casablanca."

Abby grinned, straightening her back before heading over to the TV. "You got it." Pulling the DVD out, she popped it into the player and picked up the remotes before making her way back to his side. "You know, I've never actually seen this movie."

"Never?" He asked, his voice filled with disbelief. "And you call yourself a movie aficionado. Tsk tsk."

She smiled, pleased to be getting a glimpse of the Tony she knew before the shooting. "I never claimed that."

He rolled his eyes and patted the space next to him, offering her a small smile. "C'mere. This movie is best watched while cuddling."

"If you say so, DiNozzo."

Toeing off her shoes, she slipped between the sheets next to him, careful not to jar his leg too much as she tried to make herself comfortable leaning against him. They sat in a mutual silence, watching the beginning of the movie when Tony began snoring quietly, his head dropping back against the pillows.

Smiling to herself, she snuggled closer to the older man, focusing her attention on the movie as she listened to her steady heartbeat, her head rising and falling in synch with his chest as his breathing slowed, signaling his descent into a light slumber.

::::::

"Abby?"

Forcing her eyes open at the sound of the hoarse voice, Abby pushed herself up against the pillows. "You okay, sweetie?"

"No," Tony managed, his jaw clenched as he shifted on the bed. "What... what time is it?"

Rubbing her eyes in an attempt to clear her vision, Abby squinted at the clock on the DVD player, a frown darkening her face. "It's a little after eleven."

"I need…" he trailed off, swallowing hard in an attempt to bite back a strangled cry. "I need my medicine."

"Do you think you can hold off just a little longer?" She asked, reaching up to run her fingers through his hair gently. "I know it hurts, but Ducky should be here any minute."

"Can you… can you call him?"

"Of course. I'll be right back," she promised, climbing out of the bed carefully, wincing at his quiet whimper when she jarred the mattress slightly. She could feel the tears burning her eyes as she hurried into the front hallway and grabbed her phone from her purse.

She'd just hit the 'send' button on her phone when the sound of a car door closing outside caught her attention. Parting the front curtains just slightly, she breathed a loud sigh of relief when she spotted Ducky on his way up the front sidewalk.

"He's here, Tony!" She called, pulling the front door open to greet the old doctor. "Thank God you're here, Ducky."

"How is he doing this morning?"

"He wasn't doing too bad until a little while ago, I guess. He's hurting pretty bad but he said he'd hold off on taking his meds until you got here."

"Very good," Ducky said with a nod as he stepped into the house, pulling a pill bottle out of his pocket. "This should help with the pain more than his current prescription."

They stepped into the living room and frowned darkly at the sight of the younger man writhing uncomfortably on the couch.

"Here we are, Anthony. Do you need some water?" Ducky asked, sinking down into the chair next to do bed.

He shook his head vehemently, not trusting his voice as he held his hand out for the bottle. Ducky handed him the medication, watching the agent's hands shake as he struggled to open the lid.

"Tony…" Abby tried, gently prying the bottle from his trembling fingers. Opening it, she shook two of the tablets out before she closed the lid and placed the pills in his hand. "There you go."

"Just one will do, Abigail," Ducky said, plucking the extra pill from the agent's hand before returning it to the bottle. For a brief moment, Tony looked as though he was going to argue, but decided against it.

It was only half a second later that he'd swallowed the medicine and settled back against his pillows, swiping a hand over his sweaty face as he waited for the pills to kick in. "Th… thanks for getting these for me, Ducky."

"You are quite welcome, but you need to be careful with these pills, Anthony."

"What do you mean?"

"They're highly addictive. They need to be taken exactly as prescribed on the bottle. I have consulted with Doctors Michaels and Reid and while they agree that these will be beneficial for you for the time being, we are going to reevaluate the situation after you start your therapy and see if we can get you on a different kind."

"Ducky… if they're that easy to get addicted to, then I don't thinkâ€""

"As long as you take them as prescribed, you will be just fine," he assured him, offering him a smile before he stood. "Do you have any other questions or any issues I should know about?"

Shaking his head, the Italian breathed a sigh of relief when he realized the pain in his leg had already begun to fade. "No. I think these are gonna work."

"Good. Should you need anything else, do not hesitate to call. Jethro wanted me to tell you he'll be home shortly."

"Tell him to take his time," Abby said dismissively, sinking back down onto the mattress beside her friend. "We're just fine and besides, we have a movie to finish watching."

"Very well," Ducky said with a smile. "If I don't hear from you tonight, I'll stop by tomorrow and see how things are going."

"Thanks for everything, Duck," Tony responded.

With one last quick look at the injured agent, Ducky said his goodbyes and headed for the front door, leaving the pair alone.

"Think you're gonna be able to stay awake this time?" Abby teased, nudging her friend's arm gently when they heard the front door close.

"I think so," he responded, offering her the first genuine smile she'd seen since before the shooting. Tony still had a long way to go in his recovery but now that his pain level was somewhat manageable, Abby was sure that everything was going to be just fine.
End Notes:
A/N: Hello hello to all my faithful readers! If you aren't reading my other fic and missed my reasoning for the delays on these updates, I'll fill you in so you don't think I've given up on this fic! I'm currently in the process of moving and it's taking a lot longer than we thought it would! Thankfully, we should be finishing up today which will hopefully give me more time to work on this fic because I really am enjoying it! I just hope you guys are too so don't forget to review and let me know what you're thinking!
This story archived at http://www.ncisfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=3641