Secrets by katetodd4eva
Summary: What can telling secrets lead to?
Categories: Gibbs/Kate Characters: Kate Todd, Leroy Jethro Gibbs
Genre: First Time, Friendship
Pairing: Gibbs/Kate
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 2040 Read: 2262 Published: 05/09/2010 Updated: 05/09/2010

1. Secrets by katetodd4eva

Secrets by katetodd4eva
Author's Notes:
What can telling secrets lead to?
Kate walked up Gibbs’ footpath and took a breath before knocking on his door. There was no answer.
‘ This was a stupid idea. Just turn around and go home’ she thought to herself. But knocked again on the door anyway. Still no answer. She decided to try the handle, and with luck it was unlocked. She stepped inside.
“ Gibbs” she called looking around for him, but no answer. She made her way down the hall and heard some noise coming from the far door. The door was opened and there were a set of stairs that lead down to the basement. She made her way down them.
“ Gibbs” she said again as she saw him bending down sanding the side of what looked to be a boat.
‘ Don’t look, Kate. Keep focused. Wow he has a great ass. Stop” she thought. Gibbs stood up and saw Kate standing halfway down the stairs in a summer dress with a little jacket over the top.
“ What are you doing here?” he asked.
“ Well there was no answer and the door was unlocked” she said. He gave her that stare.
“ I just came from church and wanted to let you know that the candle you lit yesterday is still burning” she told him with a soft smile. He nodded his head and then went back to sanding.
‘ Turn around and go back up the stairs’ she told herself.
“ Gibbs can I ask you something?” she said taking a step down. Gibbs stopped his sanding and turned around with an impatient look on his face.
“ Who was that candle for?” she asked. Gibbs stared into her eyes and Kate stared back into his.
He knew he wasn’t going to intimidate her, she was just as strong as he was, and that’s what he liked most about her.
“ Kate, just leave it” he said putting the sanding paper on the work bench and taking a seat.
“ I understand that you don’t want to tell me but you cant keep things bottled up otherwise you will eventually go crazy” she said moving towards him. He didn’t say anything just looked at her. He so wanted to speak up but there was something stopping him. He wanted to tell her everything but that just wasn’t him.
“ You don’t want to talk, I understand. I’m here when ever you need me” she said then headed towards the stairs. She had reached the top of the stairs and was about to walk out when she was stopped by the sound of beautiful piano playing. She turned around and looked down to see Gibbs had gotten up and was standing next to and old cassette player. The tape stopped and the sweet voice of a little girl filled the room. Then the tape stopped altogether.
The words “Jethro” and “ Daddy” swirled around her head. She looked at Gibbs who was looking straight at her with pain in his eyes. Kate made her way slowly back down the stairs.
“ Gibbs I..” she started to say.
“ My first wife Shannon and my only daughter Kelly. They were murdered while I was deployed” he said softly. She had never seen this side of Gibbs, and it scared her. He wasn’t the tough, ignorant bastard that she knew.
“ I’m so sorry” she said as she approached him. He didn’t say anything.
“ I’ll go if you like” she said feeling like he wanted to be alone.
“ No” he simply said. He pulled out a chair from under the bench and Kate sat down and put her bag on the bench.
“ What did you do when you found out?” she asked quietly. He looked up into her eyes.
“ I went to see the NIS agent who investigated their death and got his name. I used my sniper riffle” he said then looked away from her. Kate leaned over and place her hand over his.
“ I would of done the same thing” she said. She thought that he felt ashamed of what he did, but really she respected him. She knows it wasn’t the right thing to do but someone like that would get away withy murder and they both knew it.
“ Do you want some coffee?” Gibbs asked.
“ Sure” she replied with soft smile. She got up and followed him up the stairs and into the kitchen. Kate sat a stool on the kitchen bench while Gibbs grabbed two cups and poured hot coffee into them.
“ Milk?” he asked.
“ Please”. He handed her the mug and she took a sip. That’s exactly what she needed right now.
“ Can I ask how you ended up with 3 ex-wives?” Kate asked.
“ To much work and not enough communication” he simply said.
Kate just nodded her head.
“ Number 2 slept around” he added.
‘ He is descent enough not to mention names. He is better then I thought” she thought to herself.
“ I’m sorry about that Gibbs. Do you think you will marry again?” she asked not even thinking about what the answer might be.
Gibbs her a smile.
“ I’m not to sure. Don’t you think 4 times is more then enough in one persons life time” he said with a smile.
“ Look at Elizabeth Taylor she has been married like 8 or 9 times. I mean I’ m 32 and I haven’t even come close” she said.
‘ Oops that was a bit over the top’ she thought as she sipped her coffee.
“ Don’t take any notice of Tony” he replied.
‘ Sorry Kate. Sorry for not finding you sooner’ he thought to himself as he looked at her perfect face. Kate looked at the clock on the wall. It was getting close to lunch.
“ I should go. You were busy and I just intruded” she said getting up off the stool, grabbing her bag and heading for the front door. Gibbs put his cup down and made his way after her and grabbed her arm gently to stop her.
“ You don’t have to leave. Stay. I’ll make some lunch” he said with a grin on his face.
Her heart melted with the smile.
‘ How could anyone resist’ she thought. Just then her phone started to ring. She searched through her bag til she found it.
“ Hello”. Gibbs went back to the kitchen to let her talk.
“ Abby, what’s up?” she said in a happy tone.
“ Today? Now? Um…I’m busy at the moment. What about next weekend” she said as she looked at Gibbs. She saw a grin across his face.
“ Ok. Well I’ll see you tomorrow. Bye” she said then closed her phone and through it back in her bag. She went and sat where she was before.
“ Pasta ok?’ he asked.
“ Perfect” she said with a smile.
“ Everything ok, with Abby I mean?” he asked as he started to prepare it.
“ Yeah. She just wanted to know if I could come to some Goth thing with her” she said with a laugh
“ So you liked red heads” Kate said, not really a question but more of a statement. Gibbs gave her a questioning look.
“ Well your past wives had red hair, and do you remember Melissa Doran? She was a red head” Kate pointed out.
“ Who said I was attracted to her?” he asked.
“ Gibbs you acted like had never seen a woman before” she said with a little laugh.
“ I was just softening her up” he said. Kate gave him a smile.
“ I like all types of women not just red heads…brunettes” he said as he turned to finish off the pasta.
‘ Oh my god did he just say brunettes. He did. Oh my god that is so a sign. Stop it pull yourself together’ Kate thought to herself. Gibbs dished up the pasta and sat opposite her.
“ What about you? Are you only attracted to rich, good-looking, successful men?” he asked. Kate smiled as she knew he would ask her the same thing.
“ No, and they are not all rich” she said defending herself.
“ Ok so just the successful ones” Gibbs said. He was trying to get her to say what type of guy she likes to see if he has a chance. He may be older but that doesn’t stop people falling in love.
Kate stopped eating and decided to go into full detail.
“ I like a guy who likes to have fun” she started.
‘ I like to have fun’ Gibbs thought while eating and listening.
“ Caring”
‘ I class myself as caring’
“ Down to earth”
‘ Not so much’
“ A good listener”
‘ Excellent listener’
“ Not self centred”
‘ I don’t think I am’
“ Strong personality”
‘ The strongest’
“ Makes me smile”
‘ I’m not sure’
“ Can take care of me”
‘ Most definitely’
“ And most importantly must be strong but also have a soft side” she said finally.
‘ I’m out then’.
“ Ok I’ll get McGee on the phone” Gibbs said jokingly.
“ McGee, he’s sweet but to soft” she said before picking up her fork again.
“ Tony” Gibbs said. He just wanted to compare him against everyone else.
Kate laughed.
“ You cant be serious Gibbs. There are so many things wring with Tony I cant even name them all”. They both laughed.
‘ Well no competition there’ he thought.
“ So why did you hire Tony?” Kate asked taking a mouth full of pasta.
“ Well it seemed like a good idea at the time” he said serious, but with a grin on his face.
“ His experience. He passed the training with flying colours so I took him” he said truthfully.
“ Ok why did you hire me?” Kate asked as she pushed the finished bowl away from her.
“ Your background and I knew I could trust you” he said. Kate gave him a little smile. They sat in silence for a little while.
“ Gibbs I should get going. Its getting late and I intruded on your Sunday” she said as she got off the stool. This time Gibbs didn’t object.
‘ Does he want me to go? He must be sick of my questions’ she thought to herself.
“ You didn’t intrude” he said. She smiled up at him but didn’t say anything. They stood there without making a move or make a sound.
Finally Kate reached for the door handle and Gibbs reached for her hand. He held out tight. She could tell he was a bit nervous.
“ Thankyou for coming” he said.
“ Anytime” she said with a smile.
‘ Kiss me’ she thought.
‘ I want to kiss her’ he thought as he looked at her.
Kate didn’t wait any longer she opened the door and started down the path.
Gibbs knew he had to do it now or he would never get the chance to it again.
“ Kate” he called after her making his way towards her quickly.
She turned around to see him coming towards her. He stopped just in front of her. She looked up into his eyes. They looked scared but excited. She didn’t say anything just looked into his hypnotic eyes.
Without warning he leaned in and kissed her.
‘ Oh my god’ Kate thought as she closed her eyes and let her lips be over ruled by his.
‘ She’s not pulling away’ Gibbs thought. He pulled away and looked at her beautiful face. She looked surprised but relieved at the same time.
“ Sorry” he said. Kate smiled at him, stepped even closer to him and pulled his head down to hers and kissed him again.
She let go of him.
“ Don’t be” she said then turned to head for her car. She paused and turned around to him.
“ Bright and early tomorrow” she said with a smile. Gibbs just nodded, a grin starting to appear on his face.
Kate got in her car and drove away. She made sure she was away so she could let the big smile out.
“ Oh my god. Wow” she said to herself out loud. She wanted to scream her joy but decided it best she didn’t.
Gibbs still stood in his front yard starring at where Kate had been. He felt all hot and excited after what just happened.
“ Lucky bastard” he said out lout with a laugh before turning and heading inside.
‘ I should leave my door unlocked more often’ he thought.
‘ Just in case she gets lonely’.
This story archived at http://www.ncisfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=3707