Discovery-Part one by Gothangel42
Summary: Kelly gets caught up in her first ever field work with an accidental looking murder. But she's under watch by the FBI, who suspect her of something that isn't quite clear yet.
Categories: Gen Characters: Original character
Genre: Crossover
Pairing: None
Warnings: Drug use
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 3965 Read: 1501 Published: 07/03/2010 Updated: 07/03/2010

1. Discovery-Part one by Gothangel42

Discovery-Part one by Gothangel42
Author's Notes:
Kelly gets caught up in her first ever field work with an accidental looking murder. But she's under watch by the FBI, who suspect her of something that isn't quite clear yet.
The rights to the NCIS's publicly recognized characters are not mine. They are the right of the NCIS show, as well as the 'Bones' characters. The original characters are the right of the author. This story, and the rest of its parts, are an original of the author, as well.

Part one:

The first thing she heard was a soft lullaby that somehow sounded familiar to her. “Mom?” she called out.
“No. I'm here, though.” the voice was familiar to her, but she couldn't place if for a while. Then she remembered last night and sat up, the cold compress falling off her forehead and landing in her lap. The man, claiming to be her non-existing brother, stared at her for a while and then smiled. “I hope you don't mind, but I put you in some pajamas and hung up your lovely dress.”
Kelly turned to see a woman walking in with a tray of food. She was young and smiling widely. Her red hair was pulled back in a bun and she wore a pink apron around her waist. “Who are you people?” Kelly asked, clinging to her pillow like it would be her lifesaver and she'd wake up from her freakish dream.
“Oh, poor dear. She's scared silly.” the woman turned to the man and punched her arm. “You scared the dearling.”
“I just hugged her.” he said in a poor defense.
“She doesn't remember you, Luke. Kelly was only a baby, from what you've told me.” The woman turned back to Kelly and smiled sweetly. “Sorry to scare you, Kelly. I'm Nancy, Luke's fiance. He was just so excited in seeing you he forgot that you don't remember him.” Kelly took deep breaths and said “I don't have a brother. I'm an only child.”
Luke looked hurt. “I am your brother, Kelly. You're not a Korran. You're a Dewar. Kelly Dewar. You were adopted by the Korrans when you were too young to remember. I tried stopping them, but they're really up there on the survival food chain. Do you know how long I've been trying to find you? I actually had to sneak in here so I could see you.” he said. “And that wasn't easy, either. We almost got caught a few times.” Nancy said, putting a plate of meatloaf and mashed potatoes in front of her. Kelly stared at them, too stunned to say anything. “if you want proof, you were a healthy baby with a good set of lungs on you.” Luke said, “You made me deaf on many occasions and you loved the smell of fresh rain and cut grass. Besides that, you have a birthmark behind your ear the size of a pea.” Kelly touched the spot. Her own parents didn't even know that. That fact wasn't on any file, anywhere. She'd made sure of that. “Go ahead and eat. I swear it's not poisoned.” Nancy said.
Kelly leaned back and thought. This almost seemed normal, on some strange level. Her family sitting around her and serving her a meal in bed as if she were sick. She studied the food for a moment and then picked up the fork. She cut off a piece of meatloaf and smeared a dollop of potato on top of it before putting it in her mouth. Her mouth went wild with the flavors.
“Good, huh? It's an old family recipe.” Nancy said, smiling again. It wasn't a creepy smile. It was one of someone who enjoyed seeing someone like her cooking. “I know this is a great shock to her, but you can run any background check you want. Nancy and I will show up no where. We're spies. We can speak freely, little sister, because we already checked every nook and cranny of this house for bugs. It's clean.” Luke said.
“I don't understand why you're here, though,” Kelly said, swallowing another piece of meatloaf, “Why now?” She paused then said “Is it because I'm in danger?”
Luke smiled sympathetically. “Well...what they think is danger...is me seeing my little sister again. They don't want my cover story blown, but we're good enough to keep that hidden.” Kelly knew she was being pretty good about all of this. Other girls would have freaked out on the 10th degree by now and called the cops, FBI, and 911. Not in that order, though. But something inside Kelly said that Luke was telling the truth, and so was Nancy. She could trust these people.
Kelly leaned over on an impulse, and hugged Luke. He paused and then hugged her back. It felt so right. Like coming home. They pulled back after a while and Kelly looked at Nancy. “You know, I'd never know you guys were what you are.” she said and dug into the food again, “Not with this cooking. It's fabulous.”
Nancy giggled. “I'm glad you enjoy it, Kelly. Now, i'd like to talk to you, but Luke has to leave the room.”
“What? I can't stay?” Luke said, mock pouting.
Nancy pulled him to his feet and pushed him to the door. “Out, honey. Girl talk only.” she said. He turned around to argue, but she kissed him quickly before closing the door in his face. Kelly smiled as Nancy came to sit back down on the bed. “Kelly, I want you to know I love your brother. Seeing him so happy makes me happy, and I'd love to marry him.” she said.
Kelly's smile faded as she sensed a 'but' to this conversation. “But?” she prompted.
“But,” Nancy said, “Being a spy is very hard work. We loose some of ourselves in our covers and sometimes don't know what's real and what's our legend, our cover story. But I know that one thing my family has always done, when one of us wishes to be married, is ask the other family for their blessing. And, since your parents aren't here...I'd like to ask for your blessing in marrying your brother.”
Kelly set her utensils down and smiled. “So that's what the food's for. Well, would you love my brother if he was dropped into enemy territory and had to take on the legend of being married to another woman?”
“yes.” Nancy said.
“would you love him if he had to betray you?”
“I would question his motives, but I think I still would.”
Kelly leaned forward and stared Nancy straight in the eye. “Will you marry him, even if I don't give my blessing?”
Nancy stared back and didn't even blink as she said, “Yes.”
They stared at each other for a moment and Kelly smiled. “Good. I like a woman who'll do anything that's necessary.”
“So, that's a yes?” Nancy asked.
“Yes.” Kelly said. Nancy squealed in delight and hugged Kelly tightly.
Luke opened the door and said “What's wrong?”
“Kelly gave her blessing!” It took a moment for him to realize what was being said and then smiled.
“Really?” he asked.
“But I better get to come.” Kelly said, “It's not everyday your brother, that you didn't know you had, gets married to a nice girl who cooks like an angel.” She got up out of bed and punched Luke's arm. “Hey, don't loose her or I will personally have my friend kill you and leave no trace.” she said.
He looked at her and then wrapped her in a huge bear hug. “I promise.” he looked down at her. “And I promise I'll try to see you more often. But the Korrans will want you to remain clueless about my presence. Here, let me see your cell.” He picked it up from the table and pressed a few buttons on it and then flipped it closed. “You have a third line, now. It's encrypted, but you'll know it's me. I set the ringtone special.” he said and then called the phone. 'Secret Agent Man' started to play and Kelly laughed.
“That's not so secret if that's the ringtone.” she said.
“Well, your boyfriend might get a little suspicious-”
“I don't have a boyfriend.” Kelly said.
“Then who was that cute boy you came home with last night?” Nancy said. Kelly's cheeks flamed and she said, “That was Jonah. He's my shadow because I'm in some kind of trouble.”
Nancy and Luke exchanged looks. “Kelly....I think he means us. We're not known in any network and they might be suspicious about our reasons in finding you. We want you to know of your real family and be at our wedding. They might think we want to harm you, seeing as we're unknown and are trained to kill anyone with anything short of a paperclip.”
“But I'm in no danger from you. You're my brother.” Kelly said.
“I know that and you know that, but they don't and I think they won't take your answer for it. I'll try to clear it with our superiors to make everything public, but you'll have to trust me.” Luke said, staring his sister in the eyes.
She sighed and said, “Fine. But this is a huge leap of faith. I think I'm taking the whole I-have-a-brother-I-didn't-know-about thing pretty well.”
“And you're doing great. But right now, Kelly, Nancy and I need to leave.”
“Why-” she started to say, but Nancy hugged her and said, “I made you somethings you can heat up. They're good for you and I left instructions on how to prepare them.” Kelly stared at her in confusion. “When I'm nervous, like asking my soon to be sister-in-law for a blessing, I cook. We have to go, but we'll see you soon.” she said and then they rushed out of the room. Kelly started after them but found the hallway empty when she looked. They'd just...vanished.
“Man, they're good.” she said to herself. The doorbell rang and Kelly looked at her pajamas. They weren't too embarrassing, thankfully. She wore red pajamas and blue top. Happy with her appearance, she raced downstairs and opened the door.
A tall man, probably in his early 30's, broad shoulders, short brown hair looked at her. He wore a suit with a red tie and a big belt buckle. “Good morning, miss, sorry to disturb you so early,” he said, flashing his badge, “I'm Agent Seyle Booth, FBI. This,” he indicated a red haired woman behind him, “Is Dr. Temperance Brennan from the Jeffersonian. We'd like to talk to your mother, if we might.” He said it as if he were trying to hide something from her, even though it was about her.
“One moment.” she said and looked at for her purse. It was on the table. She opened it and pulled out her badge. Kelly held it up and said, “Special Agent Kelly Korran, NCIS.” The two stared at her.
“There must be a mistake. How is it possible that you are a Special Agent?” Agent Booth said, “Aren't you a little young?”
“I hold a degree in computer forensics and coding, Agent Booth. I am an NCIS agent. Why would you be looking for Mrs. Korran?” she asked, cooly.
“I'd like to talk to your boss.” the FBI Agent said.
Kelly opened the door and said “Come in, please. I'll need to change before we go, though.” She stepped back and the two entered. “You can take a seat on the couch and give me three minutes. Jonah will be here in a few seconds. Just let him in.” Kelly ran back up the stairs and pulled out a black knee length skirt, regular black boots, a sleeveless black shirt, and pulled her hair back into a pony tail. She grabbed her bag, slipped her phone into her pocket, and then took her long black coat off the hook. Kelly put on some black lipstick and a quick swipe of eyeliner on before making her way downstairs and into the living room.
Jonah stood by the door, still as a an Buckingham guard while Booth stared at him with raised eyebrows. Dr. Brennan was examining a vase. “It's from Egypt, Doctor, brought back by a friend of the family.” Kelly said. They turned to look at her. “I'm sorry if you don't like my look, but it is comfortable. Now, shall we got to my boss?” Kelly asked and turned on her heel without a word. Jonah fell into step behind her, leaving the two others to follow. It was Kelly's way of punishing them for not treating her like an adult or even, in Agent Booth's case, as a fellow government agent.
“We'll take my car.” he said and opened the back for Kelly. She slid in and Jonah followed, closing the door behind him. Agent Booth and Dr. Brennan got in and started to drive. The ride was silent, but Kelly felt Jonah's anxiety to ask something. They stopped in front of the gates of NCIS. The Marine leaned in through the driver's window.
“Identification, sir.” she said.
Kelly leaned forward and flashed her badge. “They're with me, Mandy.”
“Yes, Kelly. Sorry. I'm use to seeing you in Jonah's car. Go ahead in.” They pulled into the yard and entered the building without a word.
The receptionist looked up and said “Good morning, Agent Korran, Mr. Divaldy. Your guests will need visiting passes and sign in.” Kelly resisted the urge to roll her eyes. Word traveled in this agency way too quickly for her liking. She walked over to the elevators and waited with Jonah as the others were settled.
“You want to ask me something?” she said in a low voice.
“I want to know why you didn't alert me to the intrusion last night.” Jonah said softly.
“So, Luke isn't as sneaky as he'd like to think.” Kelly chuckled. He'd would be interested to know that her bodyguard had known about him.
“You didn't call for me-” Jonah protested.
“I had fainted at the shock of finding my non existing/existing brother in my house.” she cut in. “When I woke up, it was morning and he proved to be my brother by telling me of a birthmark that no one knew of.”
“He could have-”
“I also got a gut feeling that he was my brother, Jonah. Don't argue with me.” Kelly said, swiftly cutting off any of his protests with a glare.
“I was just worried about you, Kelly.” he said as Agent Booth and Dr. Brennan approached them.
“Because it's your head if you fail your job?” she said bitterly.
“Because I care about you. I'll show you at dinner tonight.” Jonah whispered.
Kelly looked at him in shock, but didn't have a chance to talk back because Agent Booth said, “We getting in or are we going to be discussing dinner reservations?”
“Don't be so mean, Booth.” Dr. Brennan said, stepping into the elevator.
“What? We've got to talk to her boss.” he said.
“Well, you could have said it nicer, you know. Children her age are susceptible to orders and sarcasm. She'll only get angry and give you a hard time.” she said. Kelly stared at the two and was about to say something like, “I'm right here,” but decided against it. This was getting way too entertaining to stop.
“Well, Bones, 'Children her age' are in high school and trying to get their driving licenses and finding boyfriends, not out catching a Navy Seal who killed a civilian and his fiance.” Booth said.
“She's very advanced for her age, I'll admit, but she isn't an exception to her emotions.” Dr. Brennan said.
Kelly looked at the lights above the elevator and said “Excuse me, you two. I'd love to hear the rest of this conversation, but we're at our floor.”
The doors dinged open and Kelly walked out and toward her desk with a few smiles to her team. She set her bag at her desk and, before Tony could start hitting on Dr. Brennan, said “Everyone, this is FBI Agent Seyle Booth and Dr. Temperance Brennan of the Jeffersonian. Agent Booth and Dr. Bennan, this is Special Agent Tony DiNozzo, Officer Ziva David, Special Agent Tim McGee, and Special Agent Jethro Gibbs is probably getting coffee. Take a seat somewhere, if you want to wait.”
“They'll have to wait longer. We've got a dead drug lord and drugs that have killed others in different states.” Gibbs said, walking into the group. He placed a box in front of Kelly and grabbed his gun from his desk. Kelly opened the box and took out the gun and loaded magazine.
“Whoa,” Booth said, “You can't give a minor a gun. And a drug lord would fall under FBI jurisdiction.”
“Well, duh, Agent Booth. Kelly's ammo is only bullet shaped tar and this drug lord was found on a Marine base. So, are you going to get a move on, or is the elevator going to leave without you?”
Kelly smiled from the elevator as Booth turned around and saw her teammates all ready to leave. “They're quick.” Booth said.
“No, they just know what they're doing.” Gibbs said, getting into the elevator. It was a tight fit as the two others entered and they descended to the parking garage. “Kelly, you're with Ziva.” Gibbs said, sliding into a car while Booth and Bones headed toward their car out front. “Stay with her at all times until I say you can be on your own.”
“Yeah, boss.” she said, buckling her seat belt. She checked her gun and magazine and paused. “Uh, Gibbs, These bullets are real.”
“I must have switched them by accident.” he said simply and then pulled out of the garage with Ducky's truck following behind them.
It didn't take a long time until they were ushered through the base's gate. Reporters were crowding behind a barricade of MPs. Gibbs parked the car behind the barricade and everyone got out. Cameras flashed and reporters shouted out questions, but the NCIS team ignored them and focused on their dead body. “Gunny Kyle Matthews” Gibbs said, looking at the man's identification.
“No open wounds or trauma, Jethro.” Ducky said, crouching beside the dead gunny. The body's hair was short and he wore a polo shirt and jeans. It looked like he was off duty when he'd died. But there was maggots crawling over the corpse's skin. “There's some hemorrhaging around the eyes and what looks like a white powder around his lips and nostrils. It looks like he sniffed his way into a drug overdose. I won't have anything else until I get him back and send some samples to the lab.”
“Okay, Duck. Ziva, go ask questions to whoever found him and anyone he talked to before his death. Kelly, you're with me.” Gibbs started to walk away and Kelly followed as she pulled her hat over her hair. They spent hours talking to people, taking pictures, and pulling footage from surrounding security cameras. Kelly was use to Jonah following her around because he was quiet and stayed out of the way. Agent Booth, though, just...Was. Not. Subtle. He butted in on Gibbs' questions, nosed around in their way, and didn't shut up when he talked to Bones.
Finally, Kelly turned around and put her hand out to stop him behind Ducky's truck. “Agent Booth, you may be FBI but this is an NCIS investigation. You are only here because it passed over state lines. It fell into our jurisdiction and we're taking over the case. So, please...stay out of our way.”
“What?” Booth said.
Kelly folded her arms and said “You aren't subtle. I doubt you ever were in your life. But Gibbs hasn't said anything about it because you were a marine sniper. Stay out of our way and leave this to us. Now, I know you don't like being talked down to by a 16 year old, but I am an agent. I expect you to treat me with the respect I give you. If not, I'm going to make our joint investigation a living nightmare for you.”
Booth stared and said “Are you always this way when you're on a case?”
Kelly smiled. “No. I'm only this way when an FBI agent annoys me early in the morning and automatically degrades me by not believing I am who I say I am. Then decides to not fill me in on anything that clearly includes me. Am I under suspicion, Agent Booth?”
They stared at each other for a while before Booth said, “I'd ask your brother.” He turned around and got into his car with Dr. Brennan.
Kelly turned and found Jonah watching her. “You're getting more quiet.” she said, brushing past him on her way to the car.
Jonah grabbed her elbow. “Kelly,” he said, “you were contacted by your brother?”
“It's none of your concern, Jonah. And I believe I told you that this morning. Why don't you listen?” she said, looking at her notes. She met his eyes. “I didn't even know he existed.” she said in a whisper. He tried to pull her close, but she shook her head and walked over to Gibbs.
“What've you got, Kell?” he asked.
“The gunny's DI says Mathew was an excellent soldier. Always on time to work and turning in reports, polite and well liked with his co-workers, and no record, what so ever. He helped people out whenever he could and had no enemies,” Kelly looked up. “Seems like a good soldier.”
“Well,” Gibbs said, “that's not what this scene says.”
“Technically,” Bones said, walking over, “A scene can't talk.”
Booth sighed. “Not literally, Bones. Agent Gibbs means that finding a seemingly perfect person dead with drugs, doesn't make sense. It's against what we've found.”
Kelly rolled her eyes and was about to turn back to the car, when something caught her eye. She crouched down and pulled on a latex glove. She reached out and lifted up the body's hand. Kelly turned it and examined the nails. “Ducky,” she called. The doctor knelt next to her. “Look at his fingernails,” she said. “They're torn and ragged. Like he was in a fight. I think this man had some enemies that wanted him dead.”
“How do you come to that?” Tony said.
Kelly looked up. “His nails are freshly torn, saying he was probably in a fight. If we believe what everyone says, there was little chance that he had enemies. Evidence says that Gunny Matthew did have enemies. If we can find the person who fought with the gunny, they might have seen or done something to cause this.”
Gibbs sipped his coffee. “You're sure about this?” he asked. Kelly nodded. Gibbs took another sip and said, “Alright. Tony, Ziva, talk to his friends and follow this lead. Kelly, you're coming back with me. McGee will stay with Ducky.” Kelly followed Gibbs back to the car.
Booth leaned against the window and said, “I'm going to follow you back. Is my partner allowed to ride with Dr. Mallard?”
Gibbs shrugged. “Do what you want,” he said. Kelly buckled her seatbelt and waited for them to roll. The ride back was silent. As they entered their work floor back at the base, Gibbs looked at Kelly. “Agent Booth may not be subtle, Kelly, but he is a good man. I know his reputation.”
Kelly sighed. “I know, boss. It just irks me that he doesn't respect me as an agent. Even if I am a teenager.”
Gibbs chuckled and ruffled her hair. “Don't worry about it. He'll come around sooner or later,” he said.
The elevator dinged and Booth walked in, closing the phone at his ear. He looked at them and said, “It would seem that my partner, Bones, has just taken the body to the Jeffersonian. That means the FBI is now heading this case.”
This story archived at http://www.ncisfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=3750