The Pipes by katetodd4eva
Summary: Kate needs a plumber. Gibbs knows a great plumber
Categories: Gibbs/Kate Characters: Timothy McGee, Leroy Jethro Gibbs, Kate Todd, Anthony DiNozzo
Genre: Romance, Established relationship, Episode Related
Pairing: Gibbs/Kate
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 2460 Read: 1859 Published: 07/11/2010 Updated: 07/11/2010

1. The Pipes by katetodd4eva

The Pipes by katetodd4eva
Author's Notes:
Kate needs a plumber. Gibbs knows a great plumber
“ The hole pipes will need to be replaced” Gibbs told Kate as he temporarily fixed the leak in the pipe in her bedroom. Kate stopped packing and went over to him.
“ Do you know a good plumber?” Kate asked looking at the hole in the wall.
“ I know a great plumber” he said with a smile.
“ Oh really” she said with a smile as she wrapped her arms around his waist.
“ Are you ready for your down payment now?” she asked with a cheeky smile.
“ Your gonna be late” Gibbs reminded her.
“ I know” she said letting him go and going back to her bag.
“ Before I go I want…” she paused, thinking of how to say it.
“ I like you and I think you like me too. Your gonna have to confirm or deny that” she told him.
“ I like you” she said softly. Kate smiled.
“ When people like each other they like to spend time together, thus I consider time spent with you an investment” she said as she put her bag down near the door and stood in front of him.
“ That makes me what? A CD?” he said with a laugh. Kate laughed with him.
“ I’ve already invested a lot in it. You never know how things are going to turn out and I’m not asking for promises. I just need to know if your in this for the long haul. I wanna start building something and I want to build it with you” Kate told him.
Gibbs went and sat down on her bed and took a deep breath.
“ Kate, I do like you. I’m just…” he started to say.
“ Wounded? Afraid to love?” Kate tried to fill in for him.
“ I’m in the middle of a case, and I’m not real focused right now” he told her.
“ Ok, well I didn’t expect an answer today but I did have to ask the question. I’ll be on protection detail for a few days, hopefully when I get back you may have an answer for me. I would hate to have to find a new plumber” she said grabbing her bag and left. Gibbs just sat on the bed with so many things running through his head. He decided to get up and start on the piped, before heading back to work.

Kate opened her front door and made her way to her bedroom not knowing what to expect. She walked in and saw Gibbs sanding her wall. It looked like he had been here a while.
“ you’re done already” she says looking at the wall. Gibbs keeps sanding.
“ I thought you said it was going to take a while?” she asked.
“ Nope. Worked all night” he told her.
“ And what’s the rush?”. He looked at her then went back to the wall.
“ Oh I see. So that’s how its going to be huh?” she puts her bag on the bed.
“ Kate, I wanted…” he started to say.
“ No, don’t. don’t say it. No don’t say anything. Not that you ever do anyway. But you know what? I’m going to say something. You’re making a mistake. Your going to wake up in a week or a month and you’re going to realise that you threw away something good. And it’s going to be to late” Kate keeps saying, pacing from the bed to Gibbs and back again. She cant hold her feelings in.
“ You know, I realise that there are three billion men in the world, and they don’t have to all want me, but you should want me” she says, facing him now. He still doesn’t say anything. So she went to her bag and started to unpack.
“ the fact that you don’t, it just makes me wonder why I ever wanted you in the first place. Are you going to say something?” she asks , stopping and looking at him.
“ You told me not to” he pointed out.
“ Well, I’ve changed my mind” she said exhausted.
“ I worked through the night because I found another small leak in your bathroom” he said opening the door
“ Bigger job then I thought”.
“ And how long is this going to take?” Kate asks examining the room.
“ It could take a while”.
“ Feel like an idiot”.
“ You sounded like one”. Kate throws herself at Gibbs and kisses him.
“ How do I make it up to you?” she asks. He smiles and holds up the sander for her. Kate took the sander and looked at it, then at Gibbs.
“ I kind of had something else in mind” she said dropping the sander to the floor and wrapped her arms around him. Gibbs smiled and held her close as she started kissing him again. She made her way to the bed, pulling him with her. She fell onto the bed with Gibbs on top of her. They started to get carried away when Gibbs’ phone started to ring. He ignored it, hoping it would stop, but it didn’t.
“ Yeah, Gibbs” he answered sitting up. A sympathetic look crossed his face as he looked down at Kate. She let out a sigh.
“ I’ll be right in” he said before closing his phone.
“ I know, go” Kate said. He leant down and kissed her before he left.

“ Ok, so what movie do you want to see?” Kate asked Gibbs as they stood out the front of the movie theatre. Gibbs just looked at her.
“ Ok, I’ll choose. How about ‘Avatar’ for an adventure movie” Kate suggested. Gibbs didn’t say anything so she took it as a no.
“ What about ‘ It’s Complicated’ for a comedy?” she asked. Gibbs smiled at her.
“ Jethro could you at least tell me what you think at least” she said.
“ I think” he started to say but stopped as his phone rang. Once again he gave Kate the look and she knew they wouldn’t be seeing a movie tonight.
“ I’ve got to go” he told her.
“ What happened to spending the weekend together” she said.
“ Another time” he said, kissed her on the cheek and left. She stood there not knowing what to do. She made the long walk back to her car, where she decided to visit Gibbs at work.
Kate entered the NCIS building and asked to be taken to Agent Gibbs. A security guard escorted her up in the elevator. She remembers where she is now and makes her way to the squad room where McGee, Tony were sitting at their desks.
“ Where is Jethro?” she asked them. Tony looked up.
“ And what does the Secret Service want with Gibbs?” he asked with a smile.
“ Nothing. What I want to know is why we cant enjoy a single night together” Kate said sounding annoyed.
“ So the rumours are true” Tony said with a sly smile.
“ I told you Tony. It really isn’t any of our business” McGee said not looking away from his computer.
“ What rumours?” Kate asked.
“ That Gibbs was dating a young Secret Service agent who is extremely hot” he told her. He saw Kate smile.
“ She sure is DiNozzo” Gibbs said standing behind him.
“ Hi boss, I called the witness” he told Gibbs. Gibbs smiled and walked towards Kate.
“ What are you doing here?” he asked her.
“ I wanted to know why our night got ruined” she tod him. Just then the elevator doors opened and a red head walked out and headed towards them.
“ Jethro, you look well” she said with a smile.
“ You too Stephanie” he said softly. Kate looked from Stephanie to Gibbs.
“ DiNozzo, escort Ms. Fyn to interrogation” he said not taking his eyes off Stephanie, until Tony lead her away. Gibbs walked Kate to the elevator.
“ Who was that?” she asked.
“ A suspect” he said.
“ Jethro, you know her. Who is she?” Kate pushed.
“ Doesn’t matter” he said pressing the button for the elevator.
“ She’s an ex-wife isn’t she” Kate said. Gibbs didn’t look at her.
“ What number?” she asked curious.
“ Go home. I’ll call you” he said as the doors opened. Kate looked at him.
“ Promise” she said.
“ Yes” he said then kissed her before she stepped into the elevator. Once she was gone he let out a big sigh before heading down to interrogation.

It has been 3 days and Gibbs still hasn’t called Kate. She sits at home reading a book while sitting in bed, waiting for her phone to ring.
“ Come on Jethro, its been 3 days” she said aloud to herself, putting her book down beside her.
“ I’ve been busy” he said as he appeared in her doorway. Kate jumped a little at the sound of his voice, but smiled as she saw him standing there.
“ What are you doing here?” she asked.
“ Taking you to diner. Get dressed and I’ll wait downstairs” he said with a smile. He left and she jumped out of bed and threw on a dress then ran downstairs to meet him.
“ So where are we going?” she asked giving him a quick kiss.
“ To a restaurant” he said with a smile.
“ Your not going to tell me are you” she said.
“ Nope” he said before dragging her out of the house. Gibbs took Kate to her favourite out to her favourite restaurant before taking her back to his place.
“ How is it that a nice night on the town ends in a night in your basement” she said with a laugh as Gibbs leads her down the basement steps. Gibbs just laughed at her, he put the 4 pack he was carrying on the bench.
“ Close your eyes” he told her.
“ Jethro, what are you doing?” she asked standing there with her eyes closed.
“ I’m sorry” Kate heard a female voice, her eyes shot open and she saw Gibbs facing a women who was standing in the dark.
“ Still not locking your front door” the woman said.
“ Stephanie, what are you doing here?” Gibbs asked.
“ I found these in a draw, about 6 years ago” the red head said stepping forward and giving Gibbs his dog tags. Kate recognised her as the woman from NCIS.
“ I’ll let you two” Kate started to say.
“ No, its alright I’m not staying” Stephanie told them.
“ I’ll walk you out” Gibbs said following Stephanie up out of the basement. Kate watched them leave. She then went and opened one of the beers on the bench. She got bored waiting so she decided to look around a little bit. She came across a pile of papers which she quickly went through them. She stopped when she saw a photo of two girls, a blonde and a brunette. Kate starred at the brunette. She looked like Gibbs so much.
“ Kelly” Kate said softly realising who it was.
“ She looked like her mother so much” Gibbs said standing behind Kate. Kate jumped, dropping the photo as he surprised her.
“ I’m sorry, I was just looking, I didn’t mean to” Kate started to say quickly. Gibbs smiled, he grabbed her hand and started to lead her up stairs.
“ What number was Stephanie?” Kate asked standing still, making Gibbs turn around to face her. He didn’t look at her.
“ I know she was an ex-wife” Kate said softly.
“ 3” he finally said. Kate nodded her head.
“ So…what now?” she asked quietly. Gibbs looked up at her as she took a sip of the beer she had opened earlier. Gibbs walked past her and grabbed a black case.
“ You hired a movie?” Kate asked surprised as he lead her upstairs.
“ DiNozzo’s suggestion” he told her. Kate laughed. He sat her down and turned everything on and put it in.
“ What are we watching?” she asked getting comfortable on the lounge.
“ No idea” he said settling down next to her.
“ Jethro I cant watch this movie” she said suddenly as ‘ P.S I Love You’ popped up on the screen.
“ Why not?” he asked confused.
“I cant watch it with you” she rephrased as she turned it off.
“ Why?’ he asked again.
“ Its not the right movie for us” she said.
“ Do you have anything else?” she asked. Gibbs pointed underneath the T.V in a cupboard.
“ I’m going to kill DiNozzo” Gibbs said as he watched Kate go through what little movies he did have.
“ Don’t blame Tony. I know he was only trying to help” Kate told him.
“ Here we go. Titanic, ok with you?” she asked showing him the cover. Gibbs shook his head.
“ I got a better idea. Grab your jacket” he said getting up off the lounge.
“ What? Why?” she asked putting the movie back.
“ We’re going out” he said opening the front door. He grabbed his scarf and gloves just in case.

“ Ice skating” Kate exclaimed as they arrived at the rink. Gibbs just shrugged.
“ First we go to the batting cages, now ice skating. You like to keep active don’t you” she said with a smile as they made their way to the rink.
“ It keeps the young, pretty women coming after me” he said jokingly, with a smile on his face.
“ Oh really” Kate said mockingly as she grabbed the skates.
“ Well I like to think so” he said with a smile as he put his skates on.
“ You know you are” she said pausing, trying to think of the right word.
“ Charming” he said standing up.
“ That’s not the word I was looking for, but we will stick with it” she said with a smile. Gibbs helped her up out onto the ice. They skated along the ice hand in hand.
“ When was the last time you did this?” she asked him.
“ A while” he simply said.
“ Me too” she said and squeezed his hand.
“ So what made you want to come here?” she asked him.
“ Wanted to get out of the house”.
“ You just didn’t want to watch a movie with me” she said with a smile.
“ That to” he joked.
“ I can read you like a book, Jethro. Your so predictable, but you do have your moments” she said with a little laugh in her voice.
“ So what do I want now?” he asked pulling her in front of him so she could face him. Kate looked at him closely. While he starred at her, trying not to smile.
“ Well, you want to take me back to my place, and…” she paused.
“ Have some fun” she said, pulling herself closer to him so her body was up against his.
“ Your good” he said with a smile.
“ So what are we still doing here?” Kate said with a cheeky smile. Gibbs leaned down and kissed her, then put her arm around her and left the skate rink, destined for Kate’s place and Kate’s bed.
This story archived at http://www.ncisfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=3757