The Gift by jackilee71
Summary:
Categories: Gen Characters: Abby Sciuto, Anthony DiNozzo, Kate Todd, Leroy Jethro Gibbs, Timothy McGee
Genre: Drabble/Ficlet/Vignette
Pairing: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 903 Read: 2479 Published: 08/07/2010 Updated: 08/07/2010
Story Notes:
The song below is Andy Griggs, IF HEAVEN (2004). I know it is not exactly a song you would sing as a lullaby if you listen to the words, but the tone and melody definitely work. In any case, I really like the song. I hope you do too. (I copied the lyrics from a website. I am not sure the website had the words right, so I changed what I thought was wrong.ā€"I donā€™t have the CD so I canā€™t double check.) So forgive the errors.

1. The Gift by jackilee71

The Gift by jackilee71
People get a variety of presents at Christmas, but nobody expects a baby on their doorstep. But that is exactly what Team Gibbs got one Christmas about 3 years ago. They had gone to arrest a woman on suspicion of something or other. The details really arenā€™t important. The woman however, had a one-month-old child with her at the time of her arrest. She and ā€˜Nataliaā€™ were carted off to jail, nevertheless. But, at the last minute, Gibbs sprang Natalia and she became a ward of Team Gibbs.

Gibbs was a natural with the girl, nobody quite knew why. He didnā€™t have any children of his own. He held Natalia, walked with her, talk to her, got her to sleep. Tim was a little shaky. He had limited baby experience. All his siblings were close to his age, so he never changed diapers as a child. He tended to hand the baby off when she got fussy. Nobody was sure or Kateā€™s mothering skills. She was the youngest of six, all the rest boys. She had no children of her own. But her natural mothering instinct kicked in and she did just fine. Nobody doubted Ducky would be great with kids. He was just like a favorite uncle or grandpa. Abby was also didnā€™t surprise anybody, her good nature and sweet spirit made her a natural.

The surprise was Anthony DiNozzo. Everybody had stepped away for a moment and had left Nat, as the team affectionately called her and Tony alone. Nat started to cry.

Tony went over to her carrier and picked her up, gently cradling her head. ā€œItā€™s been a few years sweetheart, but I think I can remember how to do this.ā€ Tony picked up the warmed bottle and grabbed a blanket. He carried Nat, the bottle and the blanket back to his desk. He threw the blanket over his shoulder. He snuggled Nat up close to him. He put the bottle to Natā€™s mouth and she opened up and started to feed immediately. He began to sing softly to her. This attracted the attention of the agents sitting around him. They didnā€™t play a radio in the squad room and wanted to know who it was who had the beautiful voice they were hearing.

The voice was drifting over from the area of the bullpen. Known to those who feared Agent Gibbs, which was pretty much everybody, except those on his team, as ā€˜Gibbsā€™ Lair.ā€™

If Heaven was an hour, it would be twilight
When fireflies start their dancinā€™ on the lawn
And suppers on the stove and mammas laughin
And everybodyā€™s workin day is done

Nearly all the employees on the third floor were on their feet. They had heard Tony singing and were very surprised. He sounded great. They were also surprised to see what a natural Tony was at caring for a baby.

If Heaven were a town, it would be my town
On a summer day in 1985
When everything I wanted was out there waitin
And everyone I loved was still alive

Donā€™t cry a tear for me now baby
There comes a time when we all must say goodbye
And if thatā€™s what Heavenā€™s made of
You know I, I ainā€™t afraid to die

Gibbs, Kate and Tim all returned to the bullpen at about the same time. They were shocked to see a crowd gathered and had to wade through it to see what was going on. They reached the front of the crowd and stopped, kind of in awe of the sight in front of them. None of them had any idea Tony could sing. He sounded amazing and the song was beautiful. They were afraid if they came any closer heā€™d stop. They were also amazed how well he was taking care of Nat. Tony took the empty bottle out of her mouth and put her gently and carefully on his shoulder and burped her. He rubbed her back gently when his action woke her up and she started to cry. He then returned her to her previous position, cubbled snuggly against his chest. She immediately settled down and went back to sleep.

If Heaven were a pie, It would be cherry
Cool and sweet and heavy on the tongue
And just one bite would satisfy your hunger
And thereā€™d always be enough for everyone.

Tony smiled when he looked down at his tiny charge and realized she was asleep. She had curled one of her tiny hands around one of his fingers and seemed to be holding on for dear life. Tony gave Nat a light kiss on the forehead and continued to sing to her.

If Heaven were a train, it sure would be a fast one
To take this weary traveler round the bend
If Heaven were a tear, itā€™d be my last one
And youā€™d be in my arms again.

Donā€™t cry a tear for me now baby
There comes a time when we all must say goodbye
And if thatā€™s what Heavenā€™s made of
You know I ainā€™t afraid to die.


Tony stopped singing and raised his head. He looked at the crowd that had gathered and then at Gibbs, Kate and Tim. ā€œHavenā€™t I always told you, Iā€™m a man of many talents.ā€™ā€ Tony said smiling.

THE END
End Notes:
The song below is Andy Griggs, IF HEAVEN (2004). I know it is not exactly a song you would sing as a lullaby if you listen to the words, but the tone and melody definitely work. In any case, I really like the song. I hope you do too. (I copied the lyrics from a website. I am not sure the website had the words right, so I changed what I thought was wrong.ā€"I donā€™t have the CD so I canā€™t double check.) So forgive the errors.
This story archived at http://www.ncisfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=3788