Daddy Squared by jackilee71
Summary: Written as a follow-up to ‘Grandpa Gibbs.’ Jethro and Senior square off over Tony when he is injured. Tony and Jackson tell Jethro about Tony’s visit to Stillwater, PA., along with other shocks and surprises.
Categories: Gen Characters: Abby Sciuto, Anthony DiNozzo, Donald Mallard, Jimmy Palmer, Leroy Jethro Gibbs, Other, Timothy McGee, Ziva David
Genre: Action, Angst, Case, Character study, Drama, Episode Related, Friendship, Humor, Hurt/Comfort
Pairing: None
Warnings: Violence
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 8253 Read: 11606 Published: 10/16/2010 Updated: 10/16/2010
Story Notes:
Jimmy Palmer acts a little out of character, but it works well for the story and gives him a little character development. I, as always, apologize for my severe lack of medical knowledge. I may have injured people doing what is physically impossible with said injuries. I think this may be the end of this series. As much as I have enjoyed writing it, I think I’ve done all I can do. I refer to Robert Wagner in the show as the actor, not his show character, later in the story. I also refer to Brad Pitt, because, well, he’s Brad Pitt. I make reference to Matthew McConaughey because I read somewhere he and Michael Weatherly are neighbors.

1. Daddy Squared by jackilee71

Daddy Squared by jackilee71
Author's Notes:
Written as a follow-up to ‘Grandpa Gibbs.’ Jethro and Senior square off over Tony when he is injured. Tony and Jackson tell Jethro about Tony’s visit to Stillwater, PA., along with other shocks and surprises.
“Nice weekend, Tony?” Gibbs asked as Tony put his backpack on the floor, sat down at his desk and powered up his computer.

“Yeah…” Tony replied. “…it was really nice.” Tony had really had a good time. He realized. He had arrived back home in D.C. around 8 p.m. Sunday night. He had washed his clothes and cleaned his apartment. He had not gotten into bed until after midnight. He had still gotten up at 6 a.m. to run. But he didn’t feel tired in the least.

Gibbs nodded. He had his suspicions. He knew Tony as hiding something. He just was not sure what. He also knew with Tony, it was never good to underestimate what Tony was hiding. Gibbs knew it could be detrimental to Tony, Gibbs or to his team. Gibbs knew for a fact Tony had been out of town during the weekend. Gibbs had called his land line. He had left messages on Tony’s cell phone. He had been by Tony’s apartment. Well, he had entered Tony’s apartment, uninvited. He noticed clothes and toiletries were missing. Usually Tony’s excursions got him injured. They, at least, made him look like he had been run through the mill. Tony, however, didn’t look injured. In fact, he looked well rested and happy. Gibbs, however, was still concerned. Tony always let him know if he was going to be out of town, for any length of time. Gibbs acted like it irritated him, Tony checking in like that. But Gibbs really appreciated it. He was glad Tony confided in him like that, not just because it meant he could find his SFA if he needed him. It meant Tony trusted him with part of his life.

But Tony was obviously out of town this weekend. What did it mean? Did he not trust Gibbs anymore? Gibbs wasn’t sure what to think. He tried to remember something, anything he had done to Tony, anything at all. He could come up with nothing. Gibbs was still thinking about it when Tim and Ziva arrived. He had been too preoccupied to even hear their greetings.

Gibbs phone ringing disturbed his thoughts. He snatched it up on the second ring. He listened for a moment and then hung up. “Gear up!” Gibbs said, grabbing his gun and badge. He watched Tony carefully, the events of the weekend still on his mind.

“Where to, Boss?” Tony asked, grabbing his gun, badge and backpack.

“Norfolk suburb.” Gibbs answered, tossing Tony the keys. “You drive.”

“What?! Why?” Tony asked, Gibb never let him drive to a crime scene. Gibbs drove faster than he did and Gibbs always wanted to arrive at a scene ASAP.

Gibbs, though, needed some time to think. He needed to figure out what had happened between the two of them. And while he usually did some of his best thinking while he drove. He didn’t trust himself in D.C. traffic AND dealing with his and Tony’s relationship problems.


It happened in a matter of seconds, a truck stopped short in front of Tony. He swerved to his left into another lane. He was then hit by a car coming up too fast in that lane. It crashed into Tony’s side of the car and pushed the car into the back of the truck that Tony had been trying to avoid. Tim and Ziva were in the back of the car and managed to come out with only cuts and bruises. Tim woke up first and his movement caused Ziva to come around. She opened her eyes and took in the scene before her. Tony was slumped over the steering wheel, the airbag having failed to deploy. The windshield above his head was cracked and had blood on it. His head was bloody. Gibbs was sitting straight in the seat. He looked as of the back end of the truck was holding him upright. The sight pushed her into action. She pushed on the door to open it and it wouldn’t budge. She then turned around in the seat as much as she could and pushed it open with her feet. She got out and Tim came out after her, his door being blocked by the debris which had fallen off the back of the truck when they were pushed into it. The truck had been hauling wood, glass, and other debris from a home demolition site. Ziva moved to the driver’s side door to check on her partner. She reached through the broken window and put her hands to his neck. Tony was alive. His pulse was weak and his breathing was rapid and shallow. He had his face turned away from her, but she could see blood on his neck and in his hair and her finger tips had come away bloody.

Meanwhile, Tim was throwing boards and other debris out of the way on the other side of the car to get to Gibbs. He and the driver of the truck had almost gotten the way clear when the ambulance arrived. The EMT’s made quick work with the rest of the debris as one of the EMT asked the truck driver to move his vehicle so that they could get to the passenger side door. The rescue worker reached in through the broken window in Gibbs’ side of the car and felt for a pulse. Gibbs pulse was faint and he was breathing, but barely. He fell forward slightly when the truck was moved, but was held basically upright by his seat belt.

An hour later both Gibbs and Tony were on their way to the hospital. Ziva rode with Tony and Tim rode with Gibbs. During all the confusion, they had managed to call and inform Ducky and Vance of the accident and of Tony’s and Gibbs’ conditions.

The assessments by ER personnel concluded Tony had 6 broken ribs, and 3 cracked ones. He also had a concussion and a dislocated shoulder. Gibbs had 4 broken ribs and had reinjured his knee. He also had a slight concussion. After surgery for each, Tony and Gibbs were placed in the same room, per Dr. Mallard’s request. He knew whoever woke first would go and seek out the other.

The case had been handed off when Vance heard of the accident and had ordered Tim and Ziva off for a few days. He would make a temporary assignment for both of them later, when he found out the prognosis of his two agents. Vance, too, found himself waiting and watching at Tony and Gibbs’s bedsides. He took turns with Abby, Ducky, Ziva and Tim, making sure Tony and Gibbs were not left alone more than 5 minutes at a time.

Gibbs opened his eyes a full day after the accident. He was hooked up to IVs and various other tubes and machines, as was Tony. Gibbs tried to turn his head, and found it hurt, badly. He tried to move his leg and realized it had been braced. His memories began to come back and he realized there was someone in the room with him, another patient.

“Ducky.” Gibbs said, weakly. He looked up at his friend, looking down at him. “Car…I remember the car...Tony driving….” He said between strained breaths. His chest, his ribs were killing him.

“Yes, Jethro… Anthony was driving….” Ducky said.

Gibbs saw the concern on Ducky’s face. “They…ok?”

Ducky nodded, knowing what he was asking. “Timothy and Ziva are fine, just cuts and bruises. Anthony….”

“Tony?” Gibbs asked, getting agitated. “What happened? He OK?”

Ducky nodded at the other bed in the room. “He’s your neighbor.”

Gibbs, with great effort, looked over at the bed beside him. Tony’s face was covered with bandages and even from where he lay Gibbs could see the black and purple bruises which stood out on Tony’s chest. He looked to Ducky for answers.

“Anthony has 6 broken ribs, 3 cracked ones, a concussion, and a dislocated shoulder. He’s still unconscious. The x-rays and MRIs don’t show brain damage, just swelling and a hairline skull fracture.” Ducky stated. “The fracture will not be a worrisome thing, if Tony wakes up soon. If he does not….”

Gibbs nodded, his concern overshadowing his earlier questions about Tony’s weekend plans. He could not help staring at his SFA. He was not used to seeing Tony so still.

Abby appeared at the doorway at that moment. She had tears in her eyes and she was squeezing the life out of Bert. “I can handle either of you being hurt, but both of you, at the same time. I can’t take this Gibbs.” She slipped her hand into Gibbs’ and squeezed it. She then turned and looked at Tony. “He is way too still. I don’t like seeing him like that.” Abby said, voicing Gibbs thoughts. Abby left Gibbs’ side when went over to Tony’s bed and laid Bert in the bed beside him. She then bent down and kissed Tony’s cheek. “So you’ll never be alone, Tony.” Abby explained. “Bert will keep you company. He really likes you.”

“Jethro, Abigail, I must get back to NCIS. I have a body in Autopsy and I want to give Mr. Palmer an opportunity to come and visit.” Ducky stated. “I will call, Jethro, and check on Anthony before I go home this evening. If you need me…”

Gibbs nodded. “We’re OK. I’ll …take care… Tony.”

Abby corrected him, from her place in the chair beside Tony’s bed. “We’ll take care of him.”

Gibbs gave her his patented look.

“For once, Leroy Jethro Gibbs, I get to have MY way and I am staying and taking care of Tony. You need to rest. Tony is in good hands.” Abby said, as she settled back in her chair.

Gibbs just looked at her.

“You can’t stay mad at me. You know you can’t. Don’t even try.” Abby stated. “You need to rest and so does Tony. He can’t rest if he hears the two of us arguing.”

“Not arguing. You’re stubborn.” Gibbs stated.

Abby got up and went to Gibbs beside. “Yes, I am. But you love me anyway.” Abby bent down and kissed his cheek.

Gibbs nodded and moments later he was asleep. He had slept on and off since he’d first woken up. Gibbs had no idea how long he had been asleep when he heard noises coming from the other side of the room. It had been two days since the accident and Tony was still not awake. Gibbs opened his eyes and was shocked at the sight before him. Anthony DiNozzo, Sr. was trying to bully his way into Tony’s room. A doctor and Abby were standing, blocking his entry.

“I am Anthony DiNozzo, Sr. He is Anthony DiNozzo, Jr. I am his father. Why else would he be named Jr.? He is named after me.” Senior said angrily trying to push past the barrier, but Abby and the doctor held their ground.

“Let him in.” Gibbs said.

Abby and the doctor turned to Gibbs. Abby was obviously surprised knowing that Gibbs was named as Tony’s emergency contact and knowing Tony’s relationship with Senior. The doctor relented, asking the man to produce an ID before he was finally allowed in.

Abby went back to Tony’s side she slipped her hand into his and glared at Senior as he moved over to his son’s side.

“What are you doing here? What do you want?” Gibbs asked between pained breaths.

“What do I want?” Anthony Senior said, getting angry. “He is my son. I heard he was hurt. I came to see him.”

“How did you find out? You were…. Where were you?” Gibbs stated.

Anthony DiNozzo, Senior didn’t answer immediately. He slipped his hand into his son’s hand and looked down at him for a moment. “I didn’t come here to argue you Agent Gibbs. I came to see my son. I was in town for a few hours and heard someone in a restaurant I was in talking about an accident involving NCIS agents. Your name came up. I did some checking….”

Gibbs didn’t say anything he just stared at Senior.

“I love my son. It took me these past few weeks to realize how much.” Senior stated. “When he walked out on me at the hotel, I was furious.” Senior paused. “When I thought about what he had said. He was right. I didn’t really think about what it would do to a 12 year-old child to leave him alone for the weekend. Him having no idea where I was or what I was doing. It was irresponsible as a parent. I need to apologize to him for that. I need to apologize to him for a lot of things.” Senior looked down at Tony. “I just hope I get the chance.”

“Why now? Why here?” Gibbs asked, not sure he trusted Senior’s motives.

“It dawned on me when I heard about this accident, that this may be our last chance together. He may not survive this. I don’t want him leaving this Earth thinking he didn’t matter to me.” Senior explained.

“Those are nice words, Mr. DiNozzo. But every time Tony has talked about you, it has always been in a negative context.” Abby stated, holding even tighter to Tony’s hand.

Senior nodded. “Unfortunately, we don’t have a lot of good memories.”

Gibbs nodded also, knowing for a fact that that was true. He also knew Tony would not be happy to see his father. He just hoped Tony was not able to hear them now. He didn’t want what Senior said to upset him.

Senior sat with Junior the entire evening. The rest of the team came and went and Senior stayed, leaving Tony’s side only long enough to use the restroom or get something to eat.

“I can almost promise you that Tony’s feelings have not changed.” Gibbs said.

“He talked to you?” Then Senior nodded. “Of course, he talked to you.”

“This surprises you?” Gibbs asked.

“No, it irritates me.” Senior explained. “I don’t like strangers knowing personnel things about me.”

“I’m not a stranger, not to Tony.”

“He has no business talking about me to strangers.” Senior repeated.

“He needed to talk to someone. He couldn’t talk to you.”

“I am his father….”

“Biology doesn’t guarantee a connection.” Gibbs explained.

“You’re not a father. You don’t….”

“What I am or am not is not the issue here.” Gibbs said. He was getting angry but he tried to keep it out of his voice in case Tony could indeed hear them. “I don’t have to be a father to know how a person should or should not be treated.”

“I don’t have to listen to this.” Senior said, looking around the room. “You’re in better shape than Junior. You don’t need to be in the ICU anymore.”

“I’m here as long as Tony’s here.” Gibbs said firmly.

“I’m here. He doesn’t need you.” Senior said, just as firmly.

“When he wakes up, he will ask for me. I’m going to be here for him.”

“I am going to talk to talk to his doctor….”

“Talk to whomever you want to, Mr. DiNozzo, but Tony’s primary doctor, Dr. Mallard, placed us together. So, as you might imagine, you will not be CONVINCING him to move me.”

“As his father, I have the ability to make decisions for him.”

“I am his emergency contact. You are not listed on any of his paper work.” Gibbs informed Senior. He was enjoying Senior’s reaction to these revelations.

“I’m his father…” Senior said.

“Yes, I know that. You have certainly said it enough.” Gibbs said, inwardly relishing the moment.

“HE…” Senior said, staring at his son. “…he’s mine! He’s my son!” Senior started toward Gibbs.

Gibbs sat up a little straighter in his bed. “You touch me and even in this condition, I’ll hurt you.”

Senior stopped short. He turned and looked at his son’s unconscious form.

Gibbs watched Senior. “You hurt him, and I’ll kill you.” Gibbs said. He was in extreme pain, but he managed to sit up on the edge of the bed.

“You threaten….”

Gibbs shook his head. “It’s a promise.”

Senior stood staring at Gibbs. He had no doubt the former Marine meant what he said. Senior decided he would not press his luck. Senior was saved as Jimmy Palmer stepped into the room. Dr. Mallard arrived just seconds after Jimmy.

“There’s Tony’s doctor.” Gibbs gestured towards Ducky. Gibbs lowered himself back slowly and painfully onto the bed.

“Jethro, you should not be up in your condition.” Ducky said, coming over to Jethro’s beside and helping his friend lay back and get comfortable. Ducky then looked over at the other bed. “Is there a problem with Anthony?”

Gibbs shook his head. “Just Anthony Senior here, he needs to talk to you.”

“What can I do for you Mr. DiNozzo?” Ducky asked, giving the man his full attention.

“You can move this man…” Senior said, speaking of Gibbs. “…out of this room.”

“I’m afraid I cannot do that Mr. DiNozzo.” Ducky replied.

“Why the hell not?” Senior said, getting angry.

“That would be detrimental to young Anthony’s health.” Ducky replied. He could see Senior was getting angry, but he was determined to stand his ground.

“Detrimental to…he is not family.” Senior ranted, pointing to Gibbs. “I am his family! He needs me, not his BOSS.”

“Agent Gibbs is much more to Anthony than his boss. Jethro is family. He is his surrogate father. He has taken care of Tony for almost 8 years now.”

Senior was suddenly furious at the word Father. This man was NOT his father. “Taken care of him…He is a grown man. He doesn’t need to be taken care of.”

“No.” Gibbs spoke up. “He doesn’t need taken care of, but he never grew out of needing his father, his family.”

“You baby him. He….” Senior started.

“I help him. I listen to him. I support him when he needs it.” Gibbs explained. “Can you say that? When was the last time he came and talked to you about anything?”

“He was a child. It was a few days.” Senior said. The incident when Tony was 12, springing into his mind.

“He felt abandoned. He didn’t know if you were coming back. He has carried that with him for 28 years because YOU didn’t think it was such a big deal.” Gibbs said. The thought of a 12-year-old Tony being left alone filled him with rage every time he thought about it. “I thought you were here to apologize to him. That doesn’t sound too apologetic to me.”

“I’m not apologizing to you.” Senior growled.

“You think he won’t know you’re lying.” Ducky spoke up. “I would like to say because of you, but in spite of you. You have raised a smart, intuitive young man. Young Anthony reads people well. It’s a part of his job he is VERY good at. He will know you’re lying.”


Tony moaned. He opened his eyes.

Jimmy looked down when he felt Tony’s hand move in his. “Tony?”

“Hey…Jimmy.” Tony said, whispering with difficulty.

This caused Gibbs, Ducky and the senior DiNozzo to look in Tony’s direction.

Ducky and Senior moved quickly to Tony’s bedside. Senior slipped his hands into Tony’s. “Hi, Son.”

“Dad?” Tony said, looking surprised and confused at the sight of his father.


“Yeah, Son, it’s me.” Senior said, squeezing his son’s hand.

“Leave!” Tony said.

“What!” Senior asked astonished at what his son said.

“Go!” Tony strained to speak above a whisper.

“Mr. DiNozzo, you’re upsetting Anthony. Please honor his wishes and leave.” Ducky requested. He took Senior’s arm.

Senior jerked his arm out of Ducky hand. “You are not his family! You don’t tell me if I can see my son or not!”

Suddenly, Tony flat-lined. He let out a breath, he eyes slid closed, and hid head fell to one side as his heart stopped. The shrill sound of the heart monitor alarm filled the room. Ducky and Jimmy quickly vacated the room, dragging Senior with them, as seconds later the room filled with hospital personnel. The curtain was drawn between Tony’s and Gibbs’ bed as they began working to save Tony’s life.

Ten minutes later the doctor in charge of Tony’s care immerged from the room.

“Dr. Mallard?” He said, getting Ducky’s attention.

“Dr. Simmons…” Ducky acknowledged. “…how is young Anthony?”

The doctor shook his head. “Minor setback, he is still weak. But this incident will not hamper his recovery…” He looked at Senior. “…as long as it is an isolated incident.” Dr. Simmons then turned his attention back to Ducky. “I will have all of Tony’s visitors check in at the nursing station, from now on. Just leave a list of names with the nurses.” The doctor then turned and checked on Tony once more before he continued down the hall.

Meanwhile, Nurse Samantha, a petit 20-something is arguing with Gibbs trying to get him to stay in bed.

“I will stay in bed. I will be glad to stay in bed. You just tell me how Tony is.”

“Mr. Gibbs….”

“Don’t Mr. Gibbs me. I want to know what the hell is going on over there. Tell me or I will get out of this damn bed and go see for myself.”

“He is resting. I don’t….”

“I have no intention of upsetting him. But if I have to continue yelling because no one will tell me anything, that could, possibly, upset him.” Gibbs said sarcastically.

Ducky appeared behind the curtain at the most opportune time. “I will take care of him, my dear. But if you would be so kind as to pull the curtain back. That would help greatly.”

Samantha nodded and pulled back the curtain. She then went over to Tony and checked the leads to the heart monitor and checked the other various machines. She then cast a weary glance back at Gibbs before she exited the room.

Gibbs visibly relaxed when he saw Tony. Tony’s eyes were closed, his heart monitor denoted a regular beat and his chest was raising and falling at a steady rhythm.

“Where is the bastard?” Gibbs asked.

“Out in the hall with Mr. Palmer.” Ducky replied.

Just then Senior tried to get back into the room, this time with Palmer blocking his way.

“Dr. DiNozzo, Tony doesn’t need to be upset….” Palmer started to explain.

“It’s damn funny. All of you seem to think you know what is best for my son! MY SON!” Senior stormed as he advanced on Palmer.

It happened in a flash. One minute Senior is advancing on Jimmy Palmer. The next minute he was face first against the wall in the hall outside Tony’s room his left arm bent up at an awkward and uncomfortable angle.

Jimmy was strong for his size. He leaned hard against Senior and spoke into Senior’s ear. “You may be his father, his biological father, but I am his friend. And I can guarantee that I care more about him than you do.”

“Let go of me.” Senior said, struggling under Jimmy’s grip.

Jimmy continued as if he had not spoken. “It disturbs me to see people die in front of me. And since you claim to care so much about Tony, it would stand to reason you would be disturbed too. But it must not, since you insist on making an ass of yourself and disturbing him.”

“Let me go.” Senior repeated. “He’s asleep.”

Palmer moved away from Senior and let go of his arm as Ducky exited the room. “No, he’s exhausted. He was already weak and he was fighting for his life just a few moments ago. That takes a lot out of a person.” Palmer stated facing off with Senior.

“You don’t know what you are talking about.” Senior said as he rubbed his arm and then straightened his tie and his jacket. He again attempted to enter Tony’s room.

Ducky and Palmer again blocked his path. “Mr. DiNozzo, must we go through this again. You are not allowed in Anthony’s room. Your name is not on the list. Anthony, himself, told you he did not want to see you.”

“Both of you will be hearing from my lawyer.” Senior said as he turned and stormed off.

Ducky then turned and smiled at Palmer. “Good show, Mr. Palmer.”

“Ziva and Tony have both shown me some simple self-defense techniques.” Jimmy said smiling. Then his smile faded. “Do you think he will sue?”

Ducky nodded. “If he is in as dire a financial situation as young Anthony indicated, he will most definitely try. I, however, have a great feeling that he will be hard-pressed to find any witnesses to the alleged event.” Ducky said smiling.

Ducky and Palmer were both smiling when they reentered Tony’s room.


Tony woke up again 3 hours later. He and Gibbs were alone; Ducky had stepped out to talk Dr. Simmons.

Gibbs heard Tony trying to clear his throat. “DiNozzo?”

“Boss?” Tony asked. He looked around the room trying to find the familiar face.

“Over here.”

Memories suddenly flashed across Tony’s mind. He was driving. He swerved. The truck. “Screwed up.”

“No, Tony. It was an accident. Not your fault.”

“Ziva. Tim. They OK?” Tony asked barely above a whisper. Gibbs was really surprised he could hear and understand what Tony was saying.

“Fine, cuts, scrapes, nothing major.” Gibbs replied.

“I’m….” Tony started.

“Don’t say it!” Gibbs warned.

“I…screwed up.” Tony said. He moaned loudly realizing how huge a mistake it had been to try to move out of his current position. “Hurt…you.”

“Don’t make me come over there, DiNozzo.” Gibbs threatened.



Tony got better slowly. A few days later he and Gibbs were able to have the conversation Gibbs had wanted to have for days.

“Why didn’t you tell me where you were going last weekend? I know you went out of town.” Gibbs stated.

Last weekend? That was just last weekend. It seemed like it was a lifetime ago. So much had happened. Tony thought. “It wasn’t a big secret, Gibbs. I just didn’t want things to get complicated.”

Gibbs asked. “Complicated for who?”

“Shouldn’t you be out of here now? I mean. You are not exactly critical anymore.” Tony said, wondering why he and Gibbs were still sharing a room when Gibbs was able to get up and move around pretty much as he pleased.

“Stop changing the subject.” Gibbs said. “I asked you….”

“Hey Abs!” Tony said, grateful for the distraction. Abby had appeared at just the right time arms loaded with DVDs and magazines for both Gibbs’ and Tony’s entertainment.

“Tony.” Abby said unburdening herself on a chair in the room. “I picked out every movie I could think you and Gibbs might want to watch. I got both your DVD players because I figured you two might not be interested in watching the same movie.”

“Thanks, Abby.” Tony said. Gibbs opened the DVD player and put it on Tony’s bedside table as Abby handed Gibbs a couple of movies for Tony to choose from. She put the others in Tony’s bedside table. Tony selected a movie and Gibbs popped it in.

Abby looked over at Gibbs. “What did I interrupt?”

Tony shook his head. “Nothing.”

“Well, actually….” Gibbs started.

“Oh.” Abby nodded knowingly. “I know what you did last weekend.” Abby imitated the voice in the movie of a slightly different title.

“Abby…how did?” Tony asked.

“A girl doesn’t like to be stood up.” Abby explained.

Suddenly Tony remembered. They had planned to have a Jimmy Stewart movie marathon on Saturday.

Abby nodded, seeing that he was remembering. “I traced your cell when I didn’t’ hear from you.” Abby paused, smiling an evil smile. “Imagine my surprise…..”

Tony shook his head as vigorously as possible at the possibility of Abby telling Gibbs about his weekend.

Abby nodded. “It will cost you a week of Caf-Pows.” She negotiated.

Tony nodded quickly, relieved his secret was not blown.

Meanwhile Gibbs was looking from Tony to Abby and back, truly and utterly confused. “What? What is going on between you two?”

Tony shook his head. “Nothing, Boss. It was just a bet we had. I lost.”

Gibbs really didn’t think they were telling him the whole story. But he knew he could get the information out of Abby when he wanted it.


Jackson Gibbs showed up in Tony and Gibbs rooms late the next evening. Gibbs had fallen asleep watching a movie on TV. Tony was enjoying the quiet watching one of the many DVDs Abby had brought.

“Jackson?” Tony said, looking up when he heard movement at his door.

“Hello, Tony.” Jackson said. He looked over at his son’s sleeping form and pulled up a chair beside Tony’s bed. “How are you?”

“Much better, Jack.” Tony said. “It’s been a hell of a week since I saw you.”

Jackson nodded, looking at the IV Tony still had in his arm and the faint bruise that was still on Tony’s chest. “I can see that.”

“How did you find out?” Tony asked. “Slow news week.”

“No, actually your accident happened right in front of the convention center having large diplomatic something-or-other.” Jack said. “There were cameras everywhere. They showed you and Leroy being removed from the car.” Jack paused. “I wanted to come right then, but I just couldn’t get away.”

“Probably a good thing, Jack, you missed the fireworks and the drama.” Tony said.

Jack looked surprised, but remained silent.

“Senior showed up.” Tony explained. “He showed up, made an ass of himself and left. Apparently Palmer manhandled him and he threatened to sue Palmer, Ducky, and the hospital.”

“Palmer?” Jackson asked.

“Oh, that’s right. You haven’t met Palmer yet, have you?” Tony asked. “Jimmy Palmer, he is going to medical school. He helps Ducky, our M.E., out in Autopsy.” Tony shook his head. “He is so tall and skinny. I had no idea he was so strong.” Tony paused. “Senior then threatened to sue Ducky and the hospital because he was not allowed back in my room.”

Neither man said anything for a few moments, the silence comfortable between them.

“Abby knows where I was.” Tony said, breaking the silence. “She traced my phone.”

“Oh.” Jackson said. He looked over at his son. “Does Leroy…?”

“No.” Tony said. “Not unless he’s listening now.”

“Why haven’t you told him?” Jack asked.

“I don’t know how he will feel about it all.”

“You underestimate him, Tony.” Jack said. “He cares a great deal about you. I told you that already. He won’t mind sharing his family.”

“He doesn’t like not knowing where I am if I go out of town over the weekend. We never know when we will get called in. He knew I was gone last weekend. He was in my apartment.” Tony replied.

“He has a key?” Jackson said unaware of this tidbit of information.

Tony nodded. “Just for safety since I live alone.” Tony smiled. “He uses it pretty liberally though.”

“You could always change your locks.”

“He would find a way to get the key.” Tony replied. “He has his ways of getting around things, and people.”


Both Tony and Jackson heard movement in the bed next door. They turned in Gibbs’s direction. Gibbs yawned and stretched. Then he noticed their visitor. “Dad?”

“Hey, Son.” Jackson said. He got up and went over to Gibbs’ bedside.

“What brings you to D.C., Dad?” Gibbs asked, sitting up in bed and pulling on his robe.

“Leroy, can’t I come to see my son?”

“You can, but you don’t usually do it.” Gibbs said, swinging his legs out of bed and standing up.

“You’re looking good, Leroy, considering what happened to you.” Jacksons said, giving his son a hug. Gibbs hugged back.

“Apparently we were a news item, Boss.” Tony said, piping in.

“Your accident happened right in front of the convention center where some diplomatic shin-dig was going on. There were cameras everywhere.” Jackson explained. “They showed you two getting pulled out of the car.”

Gibbs nodded and waited for his dad to continue.

“I couldn’t get away any sooner.” Jackson said, feeling guilty.

“It’s ok, Dad.” Gibbs said. “I know you came as soon as you could.” Gibbs said, absolving his father of his guilt. “You missed that drama. It was probably a good thing.”

“Yeah, Tony told me.” Jackson said. He smiled over at Tony.

Gibbs looked from Jack to Tony. “What is going on here? When did you two get so…’chummy’?”

“What ‘chummy’?” Tony asked, not looking at Gibbs and rearranging his covers. “You were asleep when Jack came in. He just sat and talked to me.”

Gibbs looked at both of them again. “What am I missing here?”

Jackson smiled at his son, a little smirk on his face. “Am I under investigation, Leroy?”

“Only when you hide things from me, Dad.” Gibbs smiled.

Gibbs left the room, presumably to go to the nurses’ station for coffee. The nurses had become so used to his requests that they had a cup poured and ready for him when they saw him coming.

“You’re going to have to tell him, Tony. You work with him. You know what he’s like.” Jackson stated.

Tony nodded. “Yes, I do. Like a dog with a bone.” Tony sighed. “He won’t let go.”

“He thinks he knows something here.” Jackson stated.

“He’ll bust me down to probie.” Tony shook his head. “Oh god, I’ll be Probie’s probie. I can’t tell him Jack. What if he gets angry with you? I don’t want your relationship with Gibbs to suffer. I mean, you’re just getting back to the Father-Son thing. I would hate to mess that up.”

“Tony….”

“He never talks about his family, Jack. Never. We had no idea he had a child, Kelly, until he was in that explosion and lost his memory. We didn’t even find out from him, then. The director at the time told us. She had accidently came across it in his records or something. Up to that point I thought he had been married only three times.” Tony explained. “We knew nothing about him. Where he grew up, if his parents were still alive, anything until that case took him back to Stillwater.” Tony paused. “You say he’s willing to share, and maybe he is, Jack. Maybe he is. But he has not been forthcoming with me. And I had known him for 5 years when the explosion happened. Not much has changed since then.”

Jackson shook his head. “No, Tony. A lot has changed. You don’t see it because you work with him every day. But a lot has changed.” Jackson paused. “In his entire working life, you are the only person he has talked to me about, in depth. You were the first person he ever told me about working with. He described to me what you looked like. He told me about your personality. He told me about your quirks. He praised your talent and skill as an investigator. He said he was very privileged to have you on his team.”

“I don’t feel very privileged, sometimes.” Tony said, rubbing the back of his head.

“He said that that was the only way to keep you in line. You responded best to it.” Jackson explained.

“Yeah, unfortunately, that’s true.” Tony conceded.

“We’ll tell him together, Tony.”

Tony smiled. “I feel like a kid going to tell Dad I wrecked his car.”

“You didn’t do anything wrong.” Jackson stated.

“I feel like I did, Jack.” Tony confessed.

“It’s not wrong for you to want to make friends to have family ties.” Jackson said. He slipped his hand into Tony’s. “It’s not hard for people to like you…love you. All they have to do is get to know you.”

Tony smiled, gave Jack’s hand an affectionate squeeze. “Thanks, Grandpa.”

By the time Gibbs returned from his trip down the hall Tony was asleep. He put his coffee on his bedside table. He then looked over at his roommate. “He’s had a rough few days, Dad.”

Jack nodded. He didn’t have to look at Tony again to see the bruises on his chest. The image was burned into his brain. He couldn’t believe how painful the bruises looked. “Yeah. He’s a good kid, Leroy.”

Gibbs nodded. “What is going on between the two of you?”

“Nobody would ever accuse you of not getting to the point, Leroy.”

“Stop avoiding the question, Dad.”

“I told Tony we would tell you together.” Jack stated. He was still holding onto Tony’s hand.

“Wake him up!” Gibbs said.

“I will not. He needs his rest.”

“He was in a coma for 3 days, that’s enough sleep.”

“Leroy!” Jackson said, unable to believe his son’s insensitivity. “Let the boy sleep!”

“I would, Dad, if he were actually sleeping. But he’s not.” Gibbs said smiling. “He snores when he’s asleep.”

Just then Tony obliged with a fake-sounding snore.

“DiNozzo.”

“Yeah, Boss.” Tony sighed.

“Wake up.” Gibbs said. “Open your eyes. You think I can’t tell when you’re asleep.”

“I almost had you fooled.” Tony replied.

“Not even.” Gibbs replied. “What is going on?”

“This reminds me of a mov….” Tony started.

“No, it doesn’t!” Gibbs interrupted. “But it reminds me of one. Maybe you’ve seen it. It’s the one where the older, distinguished gray-haired man strangles his tall, Italian, Senior Field Agent.” Gibbs said impatiently. “It’s called ‘The Italian Incident.’”

“Gibbs!” Tony said, surprised. “That is the most you’ve said at one time since I’ve met you.” Tony smiled. “I love it, The Italian Incident. You could get Robert Wagner to play you and Brad Pitt could play me.” Tony said excitedly.

“Robert Wagner’s too old, and Brad Pitt is NOT Italian.”

“Gibbs, when you look like he does, nobody even gives a damn. Or…hey Matthew McConaughey, could play me.”

Jackson, meanwhile, completely forgotten, watched the interaction with an amused fascination. Tony and Gibbs have a great relationship. He didn’t know his son could joke like that. He had rarely seen his son laugh, much less joke. He was very surprised.

Jackson sighed before he began. “Leroy.” Jackson said, getting Gibbs attention. “I wrote Tony a letter. I thanked him for the trip. I told him how great it was and I included some pictures.” Jackson paused. “I invited him to come and visit me. He took me up on it.”

Gibbs glanced at Tony and then back at his father, but he didn’t say anything. He waited for his father to continue.

“He showed up late Friday night almost two week ago now.” Jackson stated.

“I surprised Jack.” Tony said, picking up the story. “I didn’t have his phone number. He didn’t include it in the letter so I couldn’t call him. And I was not about to ask you for it.” Tony said to Gibbs.

“It was a really nice surprise, Tony. I am really glad you came.” Jackson commented.

Tony nodded and continued. “I wasn’t sure I was doing the right thing, Gibbs. I didn’t know if Jackson meant it, or if he was just being nice when he included that in his letter.”

“He wouldn’t have said it if he hadn’t meant it.” Gibbs interjected.

Tony smiled. “That is exactly what Jackson said. I had a really nice weekend. I meant some interesting, unforgettable people.” Tony said thinking of Helen and Beatrice. He winced at the memory.

Gibbs picked up on his action. “Helen or Beatrice?” Gibbs asked.

Tony was speechless for just a moment. He recovered quickly. “Helen.”

Gibbs nodded. “She has always had a thing for Italian men.” Gibbs confirmed.

“You’re OK with this?” Tony asked.

“Why wouldn’t I be?”

“You are not exactly open and up front about your family.” Tony replied.

“No, I’m not.” Gibbs agreed. “But those rules don’t apply to you, Tony. You are family.”

“Speaking of family….” Tony began.

Gibbs shook his head. “He hasn’t been back.” Gibbs said, speaking of Anthony Senior.

“I don’t WANT him here. I don’t NEED him here.” Tony stated.

“Ducky had the nurses put a sign on the door that all visitors were to report to the nurses’ station first.” Gibbs explained. “And then, they would not be allowed in if their names were not on the list Ducky made.”

“That had to go over well.” Tony replied.

“He threatened to sue Jimmy, Ducky and the hospital.” Gibb said.




A few days later Anthony Senior again showed up at the hospital. Tony had been moved to a regular room, as his condition had improved immensely. Gibbs had moved with him, though he was more than ready to go home and thoroughly sick of hospital food he had stayed with Tony in case Senior showed back up. Jackson had ended up staying a couple of days then he headed back to Stillwater.

Tony heard his father outside his room. “My son will let me in. I know he will. I just need to talk to him.” There was a pause. “Fine, you ask him. I know he will let me in.” Senior said his voice loud and insisting.

The nurse entered the room and spoke quietly with Tony. Senior could see Tony talking to the nurse. He could almost make out what Tony was saying and entered the room seconds after the nurse came back out and spoke to him briefly.

“You need to watch these people, Junior.” Senior said, standing at the foot of his son’s bed. “They only pretend to know what is best for you. Can you believe they tried to keep me out?”

“I asked them to.” Tony replied simply.

“The other day….” Senior said referring to the day Tony went into cardiac arrest. “You were so weak, so sick. You were not in your right mind….”

“I knew exactly what I was doing. I didn’t want you here then. I don’t need you here now. The ONLY reason I let you in is to tell you to your face. Maybe then you will get it. You will know I mean business and you will leave me alone.”

Senior was livid by this time. “You ungrateful bastard! I am your father. YOU don’t tell ME a damn thing.”

“My father, you said.” Tony retorted. “That’s more of an honorary title. Isn’t it?” Tony challenged. “I mean, the house staff raised me. You were too busy with your business meetings and your women to pay any attention to me.”

Senior was fuming, but managed to hold his tongue as Tony continued.

Tony saw his father’s anger and he took a kind of perverse pleasure in it. “You and mom were too busy with your business meetings and your society parties. Now you’re broke and Mom’s dead.” Tony stated. “Where did it get you? You wonder why I didn’t follow in your footsteps. I would be what now, a broke businessman mooching off my business associates?” Tony smiled, but there was no humor in it. “Do your friends/business associates know you’re flat broke? How long will they stick around once you drop that little bombshell?”

“YOU BASTARD!” Senior said, taking a step or two closer to his son. “You sorry, ungrateful whelp.”

“You touch me and I WILL hurt you.” Tony said, sitting up in bed. He swung his legs out of the bed and stood up beside it in his gown. “It’s a pitiful, sorry excuse of a man who beats on a child! You’re pathetic!”

Senior took another step towards Tony and before he knew it he was down on the floor with a broken nose. Tony had swung and connected with Senior nose, braking it and Gibbs had wrestled Senior to the ground so that he would not strike out at Tony and reinjure his tender ribs or reopen the wounds on Tony’s face and chest.

Tony hit the nurse call button and told them to call security as Gibbs escorted Senior out into the hall to wait to be picked up.


A week later Tony was home, well, his second home, Gibbs’ house.

“Boss.” Tony groaned. “I don’t need a baby sitter now. I am taking my medicine. I’m eating, well, pretty good. I need to go home and sleep in my own bed. If I keep this up my landlord will think I’ve moved or dead and will rent out my apartment.”

“It’s only been two weeks. Taking your medicine ‘when I feel like it’ is not really taking it like it is supposed to be taken. Eating pizza or Chinese every night is not a good diet. And your landlord likes you, plus he knows your talent for attracting trouble. He will not rent out your apartment.” Gibbs countered.

“Oh, Gibbs…” Tony said, sitting down at the meal Gibbs had cooked for them. “…you do care.” Tony said sweetly.

“Quit being such a pain-in-the-ass and eat.” Gibbs said as he sat down at his plate and began to load his and Tony’s plates up with food.

Tony shook his head. “Too much food, I can’t eat all that.” Tony said looking at the large steak, heap of mashed potatoes and pile of green beans.

“Yes, you can.” Gibbs said as he began to eat.

Tony picked up is fork and plunged it into the mashed potatoes. He then ate a little, they tasted great so he ate a little more. “You’re really OK with me going to see Jack?”

Gibbs looked up from his plate. “I told you I was. Have I ever lied to you?”

Tony shook his head. “I just….”

“Tony, Dad likes you. He liked you the first time he met you. He saw the same thing I did.” Gibbs said, putting down his fork. “I’m sure he told you I got my perceptive skills from him.”

Tony nodded.

“It’s true. Dad is a great judge of character. He always has been.”

“But….” Tony started.

“But… nothing, Tony.” Gibbs retorted. “Your dad told you you didn’t mean anything to anybody so much he has you convinced it’s true. Still…here years later, you’re positive it’s true.” Gibbs paused. “Believe it Tony. You matter! You matter to me. You matter to Abby, and Tim, and Ziva, and Ducky, and Jimmy. It is not just anybody Dad would let call him Grandpa Gibbs.”

Tony was shocked. He had no clue how Gibbs had gotten his information. Tony shook his head and they settled into a comfortable, quiet dinner.

THE END
End Notes:
Jimmy Palmer acts a little out of character, but it works well for the story and gives him a little character development. I, as always, apologize for my severe lack of medical knowledge. I may have injured people doing what is physically impossible with said injuries. I think this may be the end of this series. As much as I have enjoyed writing it, I think I’ve done all I can do. I refer to Robert Wagner in the show as the actor, not his show character, later in the story. I also refer to Brad Pitt, because, well, he’s Brad Pitt. I make reference to Matthew McConaughey because I read somewhere he and Michael Weatherly are neighbors.
This story archived at http://www.ncisfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=3880