Boom! by niceguy87
Summary: One member of the team is fighting for their life, as Gibbs and the team deal with the task of finding the person responsible. Gibbs deals with some personal, inner demons. Some big news that Abby has been keeping secret is finally revealed; While Tony and Ziva deal with issues of their own concerning each other.
Categories: Gen Characters: Abby Sciuto, Anthony DiNozzo, Donald Mallard, Jimmy Palmer, Leroy Jethro Gibbs, Mike Franks, Original character, T.C. Fornell, Timothy McGee, Ziva David
Genre: Action, Alternate Universe, Character study, Drama, Episode Related, Friendship, Hurt/Comfort
Pairing: None
Warnings: Dark story, Disturbing imaginery, Horror, Torture, Violence
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 4 Completed: No Word count: 11643 Read: 8162 Published: 01/28/2011 Updated: 01/09/2012

1. Boom! Part One by niceguy87

2. Boom! Part Two by niceguy87

3. Boom! Part Three by niceguy87

4. Boom! Part Four by niceguy87

Boom! Part One by niceguy87
Author's Notes:
One member of the team is fighting for their life, as Gibbs and the team deal with the task of finding the person responsible.

Gibbs deals with some personal, inner demons. Some big news that Abby has been keeping secret is finally revealed; While Tony and Ziva deal with issues of their own concerning each other.
--BOOM, Part One--

Chapter One--

The doors to the E.R. burst open, and two EMTs quickly wheeled a gurney inside�"one of them, a young blonde woman, shouted for assistance over her partner’s voice.

“What've we got?” Dr. Craig Kelly asked, as he met up with the two EMTs.

“Head trauma, possible collapsed lung, multiple contusions, burns, various points of shrapnel penetration-“ the female EMT spouted off quickly.

Dr. Kelly quickly looked over the bloody mess stretched out on the gurney before him. The young, dark haired woman was a mess. From her singed pigtails all the way down to her feet--it was difficult to distinguish between the person and the blood and charred clothing.

“What the hell happened?” Dr. Kelly asked, swallowing a hard lump.

“Bomb.” The dark-haired male EMT replied without looking up. “Shit!” he added without warning, as he ripped his stethoscope away from his ears. “Her BP’s dropping.”

Dr. Kelly quickly sucked in a deep breath, and that’s when his ‘Doctor Instincts’ finally kicked in.

“Get her to the O.R. now!” he barked, pushing the gurney along faster down the long, narrow hallway.

They passed a petite red-headed nurse coming down the hallway from the opposite direction, and Dr. Kelly barked out an order at her as they passed.

“Gretchen!”

“Sir-“

“Page Connors and have him meet me in Surgery.” Kelly commanded the young nurse. “Now!” he added hastily.

“R-Right away.” The young nurse replied as she hurried off in the direction of the nurses’ station.

Another nurse came through the emergency doors shortly after all of this had happened, and she was pushing Ducky�"who was sitting in a wheelchair at this point�"with Gibbs following close behind them.

“We’re gonna take good care of you sir.” She told Ducky reassuringly.
Ducky let out another wicked cough.

As the nurse rolled Ducky over towards an empty room, where she could give him a good once over, Gibbs jogged up close to the older man.

“Duck?” he started to say.

“Jethro…(coughs)…I’ll be fine.” Ducky reassured his friend once again.

“At best I’ve only a mild concussion-“

“I’ll be the judge of that.” The nurse told Ducky, with a small chuckle.

“Make sure Abby’s alright.” Ducky told Gibbs. “Go.”

Gibbs nodded. “I’ll be back.” Was all he said, and then he was off like a shot.

…What Happened Was…
Abby arrived at work, as she usually did, at 6:30 a.m. She stopped only once, at the Caf-Pow machine for an early dose of her favorite source of caffeine, on her way down to her lab at NCIS.

Her trademark pigtails bounced with every step she took as she exited the elevator just outside the ‘sanctuary’ known as ‘Abby’s Lab’.

“Good Morning Lab.” Abby said cheerfully as she walked through to her office. “Good Morning Bert.” She happily greeted her stuffed, farting hippo, which sat on the top of a filing cabinet in her office, with a smile.

She proceeded to lock her personal belongings in the bottom, left drawer of her desk before reaching for her lab coat which hung nearby on a rack mounted into the wall.

As she turned to exit back out into the main lab area she caught a glimpse of a photograph sitting on the top of the filing cabinet next to Bert the Hippo. The photograph was of a very handsome man, with dark hair and piercing blue eyes. Her heart fluttered at the sight of the man in the photograph, and she just had to pick it up and cradle it for just a moment.
The man was her new beau, Anton Dubois, a French-born Forensic Specialist whom she’d met a year and a half earlier while attending a symposium in New York.

She set the photograph back down next to her stuffed hippo and then headed out into the main area of the lab, all the time still thinking of her lover�"who was far away in the distant land of San Diego, California giving a lecture on new Forensic techniques and the like.

Abby immediately set about the task of turning all of her beloved machines on, humming to herself as she went, so that they would be ready for whatever case or cases the day might bring.

“Good Morning Abigail. Good to see you in such cheerful spirits this morning.”

“Ducky,” Abby said with an air of disgust, her nose scrunching up at the sound of her given name�"which she did not really care for. She turned to see the older Scotsman standing in the doorway of the lab, smiling at her.

“Oh, many apologies ‘Abby’,” Ducky said bowing his head slightly, with a chuckle. “I know you hate that name,” he said. “But it is a beautiful name.”

“No. It’s not.” Abby said crossly.

Finally she let out a small chuckle, as she crossed the room and hugged the aging M.E.

“But I forgive you Ducky.” She said as she hugged the older man. “I mean ya know…considering what tonight is.”

“Ah, indeed.” Ducky said, with a smile. “Tonight’s the big night.”

Abby nodded, with a warm smile. “Tonight we make it official.” She said.

“I’ve invited Tony, McGee, Ziva, Jimmy�"I even extended an invitation to Director Vance.” She told Ducky, as she switched on the computer at her workstation.

“And Gibbs?” Ducky asked, slowly.

Abby was silent for a few, long beats.

“He still doesn’t know�"does he?” Ducky said, somewhat disappointed.
Abby didn’t look at Ducky.

“I don’t know how to tell him.” She replied, quietly.

To Abby, Gibbs’ was the most important opinion in the world. She had always worked so hard to make him proud of her.

She had never felt so sure of anything in her entire life, like she felt about Anton. And yet, she felt so nervous about the idea of telling Gibbs her ‘Big’ news. She felt so sure that he would disapprove of what she had decided to do, and that…oh, the thought was just to horrid to continue.

She shook her head to clear her thoughts, and regain her composure.

Ducky sighed, and edged over closer to the Goth Forensic Specialist.
“He deserves to know, Abby.” He told her, quietly. “And he’ll find out eventually.”

“I know.” She said. “But remember my last boyfriend.” She pointed out.

Ducky had to think a moment, but it did finally come back to him.

“In Jethro’s defense,” Ducky began. “That Craig fellow wasn’t exactly ‘Boyfriend-of-the-Year’ material.”

“Ducky,” Abby said, turning around to face the older man. “Craig said he was only having a little innocent fun.”

“Fun!?” Ducky scoffed. “Abby, he could have killed you.”

Abby only crossed her arms over her chest, and hugged herself tightly. “I just don’t want Gibbs to hate me.” She mumbled.

Ducky shook his head at her.

“Abby, as long as I have known the two of you�"You and Jethro have always been like Father and Daughter to one another.” Ducky said.

Abby nodded in agreement. That was how her and Gibbs’ relationship worked. And she was so thankful for that--to be completely honest.

“What he does, though misguided as he can sometimes be, he does because he cares.” Ducky continued. “I don’t think he could ever hate ‘You’.”

“I know Ducky.” Abby nodded, quietly.

“You should tell him.” Ducky added.

“I guess you’re right.” Abby said finally.

“Good girl.” Ducky said, with a smile, as he patted her gently on the shoulder.

“Now, I think I shall hurry off and see if the rest of our intrepid team has arrived yet.” Ducky said with a smile.

Abby chuckled. “I’ll be right behind you in a bit.” She told him.

“Mail call.” Came a voice from just outside the lab.

A small, middle-aged man poked his head inside the doorway.

“Morning Stanley!” Abby greeted the mail room clerk.

The man just nodded.

“Delivery.” He said, as he waddled into the room carrying a medium-sized package under his arm.

“For me.” Abby said, as she took the brown-paper wrapped package from the mail clerk.

“Thanks Stan.”

“You’re welcome Ms. Abby.” The older man said, as he turned and headed back out of the lab.

“It’s from Anton!” Abby exclaimed happily, as she read off the name on the address label.

“I wonder what it could be?” Ducky mused.

“Only one way to find out.” Abby said, with a devilish grin.

She quickly snatched up a pair of scissors and began cutting away the tape that bound the box together. She opened up the flaps and found a medium-sized polished, wooden box within.

She hoisted it out and held it up to better examine it.

“Looks like some kind of music box or jewelry box.” Abby remarked. “Its very beautiful.” She added, admiring its pattern of intricate designs that decorated the outside of the box in it’s entirety.

“Well, I’ll leave you to admire you’re gift,” Ducky said, as he turned and headed for the door.

“I wonder what it looks like on the inside.” She mused aloud.

She set the box down on the table, and carefully unlatched and lifted its wooden lid. A beautiful melody began to play almost immediately.

Ducky froze on the spot, a cold chill running down his spine as the music continued to play.

"It's beautiful." Abby mused aloud.

Then a sour note echoed through the room. Ducky spun on his heels, a terrified look on his face. “Abby, get away from there! It's a-“

Then everything went hazy.

…Meanwhile, Upstairs in The Squad Room…
This morning Ziva had been the first one to arrive at work, and she now waited patiently for the rest of her teammates to make their way inside.
Then from around the corner she heard the familiar ping of the elevator stopping on their floor.

“Good Morning Everyone!” Tony said as he rounded the corner into the bullpen.

“Good mood this morning?” Ziva said, from her desk.

“Oh yes.” Tony replied, as he slung his pack down behind his desk, and began to remove his overcoat.

“Where’s everyone else?” Tony asked, as he switched on his computer.

“Not here…yet.” Ziva replied. By now she was becoming very curious as to why Tony was in such a ‘good’ mood. Not that it was anything unusual, but this morning he just seemed to be even more so than usual.

“Oh well,” Tony shrugged. “A little quiet time before we jump back on the wagon won’t hurt.”

Ziva nodded, slowly.

“Tell me,” Ziva said, standing up and walking towards Tony’s desk. “Why are you so ‘Happy’ this morning?”

Tony looked at Ziva as he sat down in his chair, unsure, at first, of what exactly she meant.

“Not that I’ve never seen you in a ‘good’ mood…its just�"this morning you seem…’Perkier’.” Ziva said, eying Tony. “Was last night a 2 for 1 special.” She said, making a face that clearly showed she was unsure of weather she had said that last statement correctly.

Tony was confused at first, but then it finally clicked in his mind what she was referring to. He chuckled nervously as he searched for the right words before continuing.

“No, no.” Tony said, with a nervous chuckle as he ran his hand through his hair. “No-nothing like that.”

“You really wanna know why I’m in such a good mood?” Tony asked with a smirk, from behind his desk, as he leaned forward. “Quite simple, really, dear Ziva�"I found her.”

“Her?”

“Yes…Her.” Tony repeated. “You know…The One.” He said, with a small chuckle. “At least I think she’s ‘The One’.”

“The One?” Ziva questioned, slowly.

“Yeah. The One. My Dream Girl. My…Soul Mate.” He told her with a sigh, as he leaned back in his chair.

“Really. That is…good…good for you.” She said, swallowing a lump that had formed in her throat.

Ziva had to turn away for a split second to re-compose herself, and she hoped that Tony would not catch on. This was unbelievable. She shouldn’t feel this way�"she shouldn’t be ‘hurting’. Why?

After all, she herself was in a committed relationship right now as well; and yet at hearing Tony’s news her heart sank down into the lowest reaches of her chest.

“I know, right?” Tony chuckled. “It just kind of came to me last night.” He explained.

“Last night…while you were out with what’s her name�"uh, uh, Michelle right?” Ziva said.

“Yeah.” Tony replied. “Actually, while we were in the middle of watching ‘Thunderball’.” Tony added.

Ziva had still not turned back to look at him yet. After a few seconds more, though, she shook hear head, clearing out any previous thoughts that lingered from the last few seconds, and turned back to face Tony.
“So its her…Michelle’s the…one?”

Tony stared blankly for a moment beginning to lose himself in Ziva’s eyes.
“Hunh, uh no…no.” Tony replied at last, shaking his head. “It’s not Michelle.”

“Then who?” Ziva asked quietly, somewhat confused.

There was a long moment of silence before Tony spoke again, and when he did there was an unusually serious tone to his voice.

Nearby, the elevator pinged.

“Ziva…it’s-“

“Ooh, what a morning.”

McGee rounded the corner dragging his feet as he made his way towards his own desk.

“Well, good morning to you to McKilljoy.” Tony said, looking away from Ziva to McGee.

“Sorry, Tony.” McGee said, as he dropped his stuff behind his desk.

“Morning Ziva.” He said, with a half-hearted smile and a tiny wave.

“What’s the matter?” Ziva asked, forgetting, for the moment, the conversation that had been taking place between her and Tony just mere seconds before.

“I couldn’t sleep last night because of my neighbor’s stupid dog.” He explained, from his eyes.

“Boo Hoo.” Tony said mockingly.

“Tony!” Ziva said crossly, shushing the Senior Field Agent with a mean look.

“No, he’s right.” McGee told her. “Its not his fault�"I’m dragging you guys into my problems and I really shouldn’t.”

“No,” Ziva said, soothingly. “It’s alright. We don’t mind.” She added, shooting another mean look back at Tony.

Suddenly the room went very quiet, and Ziva had a finger held up to indicate that she was listening…listening to something that the others could not hear.

“What?” Tony asked quietly, looking up at Ziva.

“Shh!” she shushed him.

“Ziva, you alright?” McGee asked next.

“You mean you did not hear that?” Ziva asked them, after a moment.
“Hear what?” Tony asked.

“Just then.” She replied, still listening for the sound to come again.
“You must be hearing things Z.” Tony told her.

Ziva shook her head. ‘He’s probably right’ she thought to herself.
“Anyway…McGee, you were saying?” Ziva said finally.

“Yes,” Tony said, trying to sound as if he really gave a crap at this point. “Please continue.”

“Well…” he started to say.

“Someone fall in a well?” Gibbs asked, as he rounded the corner into the bullpen.

“Morning Boss!” Tony greeted Gibbs, as he straightened himself up at his desk.

Ziva and McGee also said good morning to their fearless leader as well.

Ziva made her way back towards her own desk as she spoke.

“No,” Ziva said. “We were just discussing McGee’s-“

“Discuss it later.” Gibbs said plainly. “Call just came in�"dead petty officer-“

But before he could finish his sentence the phone on his desk began to ring. Gibbs snatched the phone up and held it to his ear.

”Gibbs.” He said into the receiver. “Jim.” Gibbs said, somewhat confused.
“Jimmy, slow down.” Gibbs said, trying desperately to understand the young M.E.’s assistant. “What!” he bellowed, after a few seconds more.

Everyone heard the tone of Gibbs’ voice change, and they all stood up waiting anxiously to hear what the commotion was all about.

“Stay put�"I’m on my way.” Gibbs told Jimmy Palmer over the phone. Then he hung up�"quickly.

“Call 911!” Gibbs barked as he raced towards the stairwell.

Everyone looked at one another�"worried expressions all around.

“You heard him McGee.” Tony said, as he left his desk and headed for the stairwell too.

McGee already had his phone in his hand dialing the number though�"he was ahead of the game.

“Tony…wait for me!” Ziva called after him.

…Downstairs, Outside The Lab…
Gibbs reached the bottom of the stairs, threw open the door, and found Jimmy Palmer helping a dazed-looking Ducky down to a sitting position against the wall nearby.

Gibbs’ eyes were immediately, then, drawn to the entrance to the lab where his heart sank at what he saw. The lab was filled with thick smoke and bright, hot flames. His first thought after that was ‘Abby’.

“Where’s Abby!?” Gibbs demanded at once.

Ducky gave a loud, smoke-filled cough as he struggled to get the words out of his mouth.

“She’s�"She’s still in there�"Jethro.” Ducky finally managed.

“Abs.” her name silently crossed his lips as a million different, horrible thoughts flashed into his mind.

“Sir-“ Jimmy started to say.

“Stay with him!” Gibbs commanded sternly, as he broke into a sprint, bolting for the lab’s entrance.

Gibbs disappeared into the smoke and fire within mere seconds, yelling desperately for the Goth Forensic Specialist.

…Inside The Burning Lab…
“Abby!” he yelled, though coughing and sputtering from the thick smoke that he was inhaling.

…Back Outside The Lab…
At that same moment Tony and Ziva reached the bottom of the stairwell, and emerged just outside the lab just in time to catch a glimpse of Gibbs disappearing into the fire and smoke.

“What happened!?” Ziva asked immediately.

Jimmy started to answer her, but Tony broke in before he could get very far into his explanation.

“Where’s Abby!?” Tony demanded.

“She’s still in there.” Jimmy said, motioning towards the lab. “Agent Gibbs went in after her.” He added, swallowing hard.

“Ziva, help Palmer get Ducky outside.” Tony said, as he moved over to where there was a fire-extinguisher mounted on the wall nearby. “An ambulance should be here shortly.”

Tony smashed open the case, and quickly removed the familiar red canister, and then turned towards the lab.

“But Tony-“ Ziva started to protest.

“Just do it!” Tony snapped, as he bolted for the fire and smoke that was engulfing the lab.

…Inside The Burning Lab…
Tony began spraying at small patches of fire with the fire extinguisher as he searched for Gibbs and Abby.

Suddenly he heard a yelp, and his eyes finally fell upon Gibbs, who at the moment was shielding Abby from a shower of chemical rain-fire that had just erupted out from a cabinet against the wall.

“I gotcha boss!” Tony yelled, as he dashed forward towards them. He quickly sprayed a jet of the extinguisher’s foam over Gibbs’ back and put out the fire before it could do any damage.

Gibbs looked up, finally, and Tony could now see that Abby was unconscious and in a mess that made his stomach roll.

“Help me get her out of here!” Gibbs barked up at Tony.

…Back Out into The Hallway…
They laid Abby out on the floor in the hallway, and then Gibbs stooped over her once more.

Gibbs and Tony were both panting heavily by now from all of the smoke they had inhaled while inside the smoke and fire-filled lab/room.

“She’s not breathing.” Gibbs said, as he began to do CPR on her.

“Come on, come on.” He panted, as he moved fiercely from the compressions to the mouth to mouth.

“Damn it Abs!” Gibbs swore, as he moved back to the compressions. “Help me!” he snapped angrily, at the motionless body beneath him.

“Come on.” He said again. Then, after a few more seconds he heard a tiny sputter, and then movement from within. She was breathing again�"but only just barely.

“Thank God.” Gibbs breathed quietly.

Tony let out a somewhat relieved sigh from behind his boss as he heard the sounds of Abby’s vitals picking back up.

“Help me get her outside!” Gibbs barked, as he carefully scooped her up into his arms once more.
---End Of Flashback---



Chapter Two --

Tony, Ziva, and McGee stood at the doorway to the now barely smoldering lab that was once Abby's 'sanctuary' of sorts. There was a long moment of silence, in which the three of them only stood with their gear in hand, surveying the damage around them.

"Look at this place." McGee said somberly, looking from one side of the room to the other.

"I know." Tony replied, quietly.

"We should get started." Ziva said, slowly moving past her teammates.

"Answers..." Tony mumbled, not moving from his spot.

"What was that?" McGee asked, looking up towards Tony, as he moved closer to where Ziva stood.

An image flashed through Tony's mind as he watched Ziva pull her camera from her backpack. He remembered all too well the conversation that Gibbs had had with the three of them just before he climbed into the ambulance with Abby earlier that morning.

"I want answers!" Gibbs had barked angrily, his face red with anger. "And I want'em...yesterday!"

"So do I." Tony replied, under his breath, as he slowly began to pull out his own gear.

Time passed as the trio photographed and combed through every piece of debris scattered around the scorched room. No one said a word during this time--there were just no words to be said.

Ziva crouched low, finally, having glimpsed something that caught her attention. It was a picture frame--badly charred on one side with the glass shattered completely out of it.

The picture inside the frame, however, was still clearly visible. It was a photo of the team--their team. 'My Team' were the words that Abby had used when she took the photo.

Ziva remembered the day that the photo had been taken almost as vividly as if it had only been just yesterday. She fought hard against the hot, moist tears that burned behind her eyes in that moment.

Even though she and Abby had not completely started off on the right foot, after meeting for the first time so many years before, the two of them had grown quite close over the years (though it had taken some time). They had eventually reached a point where they each thought of the other, fondly, as a 'sister' (as it were).

"Z-" Tony started to say, noticing that Ziva had spaced-out.

"This should not have happened." Ziva said, at once, looking around the room--as she held the photo close.

"I know." Tony replied.

"No--You don't know." Ziva snapped. "This is a secure building--is it not?" She said, turning to face Tony.

"Supposed to be one of the most secure buildings in D.C." McGee said, from across the room (still taking photographs with his camera).

Tony only nodded in agreement.

"Exactly." Ziva continued, slowly moving towards Tony. "So explain it to me, please?"

Tony ran his fingers through his hair as he searched for the right words for the moment.

"Explain to me how this happened." Ziva fumed. "Explain to me how someone was able to get a bomb through the front door--through security."

Ziva stepped towards Tony, her eyes glistening with tears, as she continued her emotional rant.

"And tell me why...why Abby?" Ziva said at last--tears staining her cheeks.

"Ziva-" Tony reached out to touch his partner, but she only tried to pull away from him.

"Ziva." Tony said, more forcefully the second time, as he wrapped an arm around her and pulled her close. She, again, fought against him for a few seconds before finally surrendering to his embrace.

"I don't know the answers to those questions." he told her quietly. "But I can promise you this--we will find whoever did this."

Ziva looked up, at Tony, with a new fierceness in her eyes.

"Swear to me." Ziva said in a low voice, that was almost an animal growl. "Swear to me--for Abby."

"I swear." Tony said finally, his jaw clenching and then unclenching as he stood there holding Ziva close.

"Um, guys." McGee said finally, from across the room. "I think I found something."

Tony and Ziva pulled apart and made their way over to where McGee was crouched over.

"What is it?" Ziva asked, wiping some tears away from her face with the back of her hand.

"Looks like a piece of an address label--taped to cardboard." McGee speculated as he rotated the item (which he held with a pair of tweezers) in front of himself.

"Makes sense." Tony pointed out, stooping down to McGee's level. "The bomb probably came in disguised as a package of some kind." he mused aloud.

"Tony," McGee said, as he squinted to read the printing on the semi-charred piece of cardboard. "Does that name--look familiar to you?" he asked, looking over at the older, Senior Field Agent squatting next to him.

Tony squinted his eyes to read the printing on the label, and then his eyes opened wide.

"Think we should tell Gibbs?" Tony asked.

Ziva squatted down, at that point, so that she too could see what it was that the other two men were seeing.

They all knew about Abby's personal life, and the big change that she was supposed to be announcing officially later that night at dinner; and they all knew that Abby had not yet told Gibbs that she was even seeing anyone.

McGee reached into his backpack and pulled out a small evidence baggy--which he then proceeded to open.

"You're the Senior Field Agent." McGee replied, as he slid the piece of cardboard into the small evidence baggy (carefully).

------To Be Continued------
Boom! Part Two by niceguy87
Author's Notes:
The drama continues for the team as they begin their search for Abby's attacker...The past comes back to haunt two members of the team...
---BOOM! Part Two---

Chapter Three--

Gibbs stepped into the drab-looking hospital room that the nurses had set Ducky up in. He had not been able to follow the doctors and nurses into the area where they were working on Abby, and after waiting for some time he'd finally decided to check-in on his aging friend.

"Jethro." the old Medical Examiner said upon seeing his friend.

"How ya doin' Duck?" Gibbs asked, quietly, seeming a bit out of it at the moment.

"Well, as you can see they've confined me to these rather drab quarters for the time being." Ducky remarked, looking around the room.

Gibbs forced a small chuckle from where he stood near the doorway.

"As for my current state of health I've got a few cuts and bruises, as I mentioned before, and a minor concussion." he explained very 'matter-of-factly'. "All to be expected. Aside from that I am otherwise 'fit-as-a-fiddle' as they say."

Gibbs forced a grin. "Good to hear." he said quietly.

Gibbs moved into the room a little bit further at that point, not really looking at Ducky anymore.

Ducky knew what was really bugging his friend. The very thought tugged hard at his own heart-strings as well. "How is she?" Ducky asked, finally, in a low, serious tone. "Last I heard they were taking her into surgery." he added.

Gibbs now stood in front of the room's single window staring out into the daylight--lost in thought.

Gibbs took in a deep breath, finally, and then let it out before turning back to face his aging friend once more.

"You know how these doctor types are," Gibbs said quietly. "Can't get a word out of'em--much less a straight answer."

"Indeed." Ducky replied.

"Jethro," Ducky said, after several minutes of silence. "Just before the explosion, in the lab, I heard it." he explained.

"What?" Gibbs asked.

"Blue Danube." Ducky replied, seriously. "She received a package--Stanley the Mail Clerk brought in to her--it was a music box."

"And it played-" Gibbs started to say.

"Blue Danube." Ducky finished for him.

"You're sure?" Gibbs asked, approaching the hospital bed.

"Jethro, one does not easily forget something associated with such painful memories." Ducky insisted.

Gibbs stood still, looking straight into the eyes of his aging friend, not moving an inch.

"He's back." Ducky said at last.

---FLASHBACK---

-Several Years Earlier-

--In The Interrogation Room--

Gibbs entered the interrogation room at NCIS HQ. He carried some file folders under one arm and a cup of coffee in the other.

Across the small table sat a well-dressed, very educated looking man. Just in front of him, and slightly to the left, set a small cup of water.

Ducky is watching from the other side of the glass (The Observation Room).

Gibbs set his stack of file folders down on one side of the table, and his coffee cup down on the opposite side.

"Special Agent Gibbs," Gibbs said, extending a hand across the table.

The man returned the gesture, and shook Gibbs' hand with a polite smile that was obviously fake in nature. "Arthur Kraczinsky." the man added, in response to Gibbs' greeting.

Gibbs gave a slight nod in the man's direction.

Gibbs pulled his seat back, sat down, and scooted forward just a little bit.

"You waived your right to an attorney." Gibbs mused aloud.

"I did." the man on the other side of the table replied calmly.

"Interesting." Gibbs mused aloud, once again.

"Only guilty men need to hide behind lawyers." the man told Gibbs, in an effort to explain his actions.

"And you're innocent so," Gibbs started to say.

"Precisely." The man replied, with a slight nod. "So it would ultimately be a waste of everyone's time."

Gibbs just nodded between sips of black coffee.

He pulled the first file off of the stack, and flipped open its cover. He began scanning through the papers within until he reached a set of photographs taken at the crime scene and by the M.E. in the morgue.

"Innocent." Gibbs repeated.

"Absolutely. So, I'm free to go then?" the man asked.

"Nope." Gibbs replied plainly. "Still have a few questions."

"Alright then...shoot--I've nothing to hide." the man said, shifting in his seat a little bit.

Gibbs just gave a small grin at the man. "Good."

"You teach 'Art' right?" Gibbs asked.

"At the University, yes." the man replied, with a nod and a grin, as he took a sip of water from the small cup that he'd been given earlier.

Gibbs had to look away, for a second, to hide the mischievous grin that was playing at the corners of his mouth.

"Whatdya make of these?" Gibbs asked, after a few seconds, as he passed the photographs across the table.

The photographs depicted several scenes in each of which a different woman was at the center. Each photograph was more gruesome than the last--each successive one showing more carnage and more damage.

"Seven women, all in the Navy--all killed the same way." Gibbs said, explaining the scenes depicted in the photographs that he was handing the other man.

"All by the same person." the man added.

"That's what we think." Gibbs said, without looking up from the file (folders) in front of him.

"The killer...chose 'Music Boxes' as his weapon." Gibbs pointed out, as he scanned over the notes in the folder. "Music Boxes that all played the same jingle--Blue Danube." Gibbs added.

The man gave a small chuckle as he continued to examine each individual crime scene photo carefully, before moving on to the next one in the set.

"Not just mere Music Boxes, Agent Gibbs, but 'bombs' masquerading as Music Boxes." the man pointed out, not looking up from his photos.

There was a moment of silence, after Kraczinskys' remark, in which Gibbs took the time to put on a show of false surprise.

The man looked up at Gibbs, after a moment, and noticed the surprise in his face.

"Oh, don't look so surprised Agent Gibbs." the man said, with a small smile, obviously falling for Gibbs' ruse. "This case has been all over the news--and I have been following it quite closely."

"Really?"

"Oh, yes." the man replied, with a chuckle.

"Art...is my passion." the man pointed out. "And this...this is the work of a 'Genius'."

"More like psychopath." Gibbs corrected, calmly.

"Potato-Potato." the man replied, with a shrug.

"Well, I don't know much about art," Gibbs said, finally coming across another photograph in the file folder. This photograph was of a re-creation of one of the 'Music Boxes'.
Gibbs passed the new photo across the table as well. "But I do know a thing or two about wood-work." he said as he passed the photo across to the man.

Gibbs took very careful notice of the look in the man's eyes upon seeing the photograph of the music box.

"Anyway, we think that one of your students may be our killer." Gibbs said, without taking his eyes off of the man.

The man looked slightly confused by Gibbs' statement.

"One of my 'students'?" he asked.

"Yeah...Walter Freeman." Gibbs said, in a matter-of-fact manner. "He worked for a carpenter in Virginia for 6 years, before he began dabbling in other 'arts'. After that, he moved out here to take classes at the University--'Your' class."

"Really...I was unaware of that fact." the man replied, finally. "But surely you can't be serious. I mean--Mr. Freeman is talented, yes--but his work lacks the originality...the complexity of 'TRUE' art."

"That so?" Gibbs said, arching an eyebrow.

"So, does that mean you won't be willing to testify against him in court?" Gibbs asked, calmly, as he began to pick up the photographs off of the table.

"Testify?" the man remarked. "Whatever for?"

"Help establish his state-of-mind." Gibbs pointed out, as he tucked the first few photographs back into their file folder.

The man leaned forward, trying to make sense of what Gibbs was telling him. "Has he been arrested?" the man asked, his eyes glistening in the dim light of the interrogation room.

"He has." Gibbs replied, looking up at the man again. "Why...that surprise you?"

"You must be mistaken!" the man snapped, without thinking; and then afterwards he scrambled to regain his former composure.

"I don't think so." Gibbs countered, still quite calm.

"And why not?" the man pressed, leaning a little bit closer.

"He confessed." Gibbs said plainly, motioning over his shoulder towards the glass window. "They're booking him now."

There was a brief moment of silence between the two men as Gibbs stood up to finish gathering up the rest of the papers and photos scattered across the table top.

"I just thought you could help us strengthen our case by agreeing to testify against him." Gibbs added.

"NO!" the man slammed his fist(s), hard, against the table top. "That miserable little bastard has no right to take credit for another man's work!" the man roared.

Gibbs arched an eyebrow at the man. "How do you know he's faking?" Gibbs asked, pressing what he hoped would be the man's last button.

The man leapt up from the table, his entire body seething with anger and rage. "Because it's my work!" he roared. "I did it!" he bellowed, jabbing a finger in the direction of the few remaining photos still laying out on the table top. "This is MY 'masterpiece'...My-"

The man's sentence broke off short, and his temper began to cool down. It was only now that he realized Gibbs had been playing him from the very start. He looked across the way to see Gibbs staring at him--a smirk spread across his face.

"You...well played, Agent Gibbs." he said at last. "But you've got nothing--save for my 'confession'--in the way of an actual case." the man said, trying to sound calm and defiant.

Gibbs chuckled. "I have a sworn statement from Walter Freeman--who's admitted to supplying you with the music boxes (which he made himself)."

The man rolled his eyes at Gibbs, and just gave a small huff.

"Which you used to murder seven women," Gibbs continued, stepping around the table towards the man. "Seven 'Navy' women." he added.

"Three of them--Amanda Blakely, Jennifer Thomas, and Sharon Wright--all attended one of your classes within the last eight months." Gibbs continued, stepping closer to the man.

"Coincidence." Kraczinsky huffed, without looking at Gibbs.

"I don't believe in coincidences!" Gibbs snapped angrily, as he knocked the man's chair aside, and then stepped that much closer to him.

The chair bounced a little ways across the floor and then toppled, noisily, over onto one side.

"You had access to them...you knew how to reach them--they 'Trusted' you!" Gibbs fumed, his face growing red with anger.

After a few seconds or so, though, the anger Gibbs felt began to slowly subside. "That's why none of them thought twice about receiving a mysterious package from a 'teacher'." Gibbs added, having regained most of his formerly calm composure. "And I'm willing to bet that if we go back far enough--we'll find the same connections to link the other four back to you as well."

The man tried not to look Gibbs directly in the eyes at that point.

"And...now we have your fingerprints." Gibbs added, a small smirk appearing on his face.

A confused look crossed Kraczinsky's face.

Gibbs motioned towards the small cup of water which was still setting on the table top behind the two of them.

"Fingerprints I'm sure we'll be able to match to the one we found burned into a piece of bomb fragment recovered from the last crime scene." Gibbs informed the man. "No warrant needed."

--In The Observation room--

On the other side of the glass, in the observation room, Ducky watched as a knowing and defeated look appeared in Kraczinsky's eyes.

"We've got him." Ducky said, with a sigh of relief, without looking away from the observation window.

The 'Then' Director of NCIS, who was also standing nearby along with two other agents, turned and nodded towards the two other present agents.

The two other agents nodded back, and then headed out towards the interrogation room.

--In The Interrogation Room--

Just then the door to the interrogation room opened up and two other agents entered the room. One of them reached out, with a hankie and carefully picked up the small cup of water, being extra careful to smudge any usable fingerprints that might be on it.

The man suddenly began to chuckle quietly in front of Gibbs.

"I'm glad you like games, Agent Gibbs-" Kraczinsky started to say. "-That's something we have in common."

"Arthur Kraczinsky," Gibbs said, as he pulled out a pair of handcuffs and forced the man to turn around.

"And I believe you'll come around to seeing the genius of my 'art' one day." he continued.

Gibbs began to slap the handcuffs onto Kraczinsky's wrists. "You're under arrest for the murders of Amanda Blakely, Jennifer Thomas, Sharon Wright-"

"And Agent Gibbs," Kraczinsky said, cutting into the middle of Gibbs' reading him his rights. "This game's only beginning." another string of low chuckles began to ripple up from inside of Kraczinsky.

---End Of Flashback---




Chapter Four--

--In The Squad Room At NCIS Headquarters--

"Boss?" Tony said into his desk phone. "But the address on the package said-"

"Forget the damn package DiNozzo!" Gibbs' voice boomed over the phone line. "Find Arthur Kraczinsky!"

"Right. Arthur Kraczinsky." Tony repeated, as he jotted the name down on a pad of paper in front of him.

"I'm on my way in." Gibbs told his Senior Field Agent. "I'll be there in 30 minutes--I want good news when I get there DiNozzo."

"On it Boss." Tony replied. "We won't let you down."

They hung up on each other after that.

"Gibbs?" Ziva asked, from her desk across the way.

"Yeah." Tony replied, standing up. "McGee--I need records for Arthur Kraczinsky." Tony said, as he walked towards McGee's desk.

"On it." McGee said, as he turned towards his computer.

"Gibbs know something we don't?" Ziva asked, as she stood up and made her way to McGee's desk right behind Tony.

"Apparently." Tony replied.

McGee's fingers danced across the keyboard of his desktop computer with lightning speed. Within a minute or so he had the information popping up across his computer screen.

"Uh, Tony. According to this Arthur Kraczinsky died in prison about a month ago." McGee said, as he read information off of his computer screen.

"Dead?" Ziva repeated, slightly confused.

"Yeah," Tony replied. "That's what Gibbs said--but if Gibbs thinks he's still alive, then the prison records must be wrong."

"Wouldn't be the first time." McGee said, in agreement.

"Last known address?" Tony said, scratching at his chin.

"Way ahead of you." McGee replied. "Some of the records are sealed for some reason." he added, still punching keys on his keyboard.

"Unseal them." Tony countered, slightly agitated.

"Working on it--it'll take time though." McGee replied.

"Work fast." Tony replied, as he turned in Ziva's direction.

"Ziva, go down to evidence lock-up and get-" he started to say. But Ziva was already heading for her desk.

"-And get the evidence from the Kraczinsky case." she said, finishing Tony's sentence as she retrieved her badge and Sig from her desk. "On it."

"Gibbs isn't in a good mood," Tony explained, turning back towards McGee. "He'll expect us to have something by the time he gets here."

"What about Vance?" McGee asked. "You know he's got eyes everywhere."

Tony was facing the plasma screen, at that point, as information (uncovered by McGee) was flashing up across the screen before him. Tony studied the files and info displayed across the plasma screen.

"Let Gibbs deal the Director," Tony replied, as he read information off of the plasma screen. "Our job's to find the guy who tried to kill Abby."

"Right." McGee replied.

By the time that Gibbs finally walked off of the elevator and into the squad room McGee had just about finished digging up everything he could find on Kraczinsky. Tony and Ziva were going through the evidence from the original Kraczinsky case. Elsewhere, Jimmy Palmer had been tasked with helping get the new 'temporary' lab tech set up where she could work for them until (hopefully) Abby returned.

"What've we got?" Gibbs asked, as he rounded the corner into the bullpen.

He walked straight over, and stood right in front of the plasma screen.

"Not much." Tony said, pushing away from his desk.

"Records show that Arthur Kraczinsky died in prison a month ago." McGee said, while punching keys on his keyboard.

"We even pulled the M.E.'s report from his autopsy to verify." Ziva added, as she stepped up beside him.

"And?" Gibbs asked without looking at her.

"There isn't one." she replied.

Gibbs shot a look at Tony as the younger agent stepped up to where he and Ziva were standing.

"Yeah, figured you'd say that." Tony said, anticipating Gibbs' next words. "Vance is getting an order to exhume the body as we speak."

"Where was he buried?" Gibbs asked, still looking at Tony.

McGee clicked a few keys on his keyboard, and a few seconds later a new document flashed up onto the plasma screen.

"West Memorial Cemetery." McGee informed them. "It's in Richmond, Virginia." he added.

"Gear up," Gibbs said, as he turned and headed around to his own desk. "We're going to Richmond."

Gibbs started to retrieve his shield and Sig from his desk when Tony cleared his throat to get his attention.

"Got something to say, DiNozzo?" Gibbs asked, stopping to look up at his Senior Field Agent.

"There's just one problem." Tony said.

"Just one?" Gibbs repeated, arching an eyebrow.

"Yeah. Director wants to see you." Ziva told him.

Gibbs gave an exasperated sigh, as he slammed his desk drawer shut.

"Get the car ready." he said, tossing the keys to Tony as he walked around and headed for the Director's office.

--Director Vance's Office--

Gibbs walked into Director Vance's office, paying no attention to his secretary who sat right outside his office at her desk.

"Wanted to see me?"

"What...no 'Hello', and 'How are ya'?" Vance replied, slightly annoyed by Gibbs' rather rude entrance (But altogether used to it by now).

Gibbs just stared at Vance for a long beat.

"Right. Straight to the point--as always." Vance said, more to himself than to Gibbs.

"How are they?" Vance asked, referring to Abby and Ducky.

Gibbs gave a slight shrug. "Abby's in surgery, and Ducky's got a concussion." Gibbs replied.

"I understand how you must feel right now--given what happened." Vance said, as he stood up from his desk.

"I'll bet." Gibbs replied, quietly.

"What's that supposed to mean?" Vance asked.

"I don't know...you tell me." Gibbs replied. "You're the one wasting my time."

"I've been informed that Agent David had the evidence from the 'Kraczinsky Case' pulled from the evidence lock-up." Vance said.

"That a problem?" Gibbs asked.

Vance could see he was steadily getting nowhere with this one--as usual.

"Look, I don't want to argue with you Gibbs," Vance countered. "You're emotionally compromised--in more ways than one...I just wanna make sure you can see straight."

Gibbs just nodded. "Got 20/20 vision, Leon." Gibbs said quietly. "I can see just fine." he added, as he turned to leave.

"Gibbs." Vance called after him.

Gibbs stopped, his hand reaching out for the door handle, and then slowly began to turn around.

"What?" he asked.

"You'll need this," Vance said, holding out a piece of paper towards Gibbs. "If you wanna dig up that body in Virginia." he added.

Gibbs took the piece of paper, with a nod, and then once again turned to leave.

This time Vance's secretary came through the doors before Gibbs could get anywhere.

"Sir," she said, waiting for permission to continue.

"Go ahead." Vance said, with a nod.

"This just came in over the fax." she said, handing him a piece of paper.

Vance took the piece of paper, and read over it. It was a note.

"What is it Leon?" Gibbs asked, his interest peaked.

"I think you should look at this." Vance said, holding the piece of paper out to Gibbs.

Gibbs took it and read it to himself.

"To Agent Gibbs," he read aloud. "I hope you've enjoyed my latest masterpiece--I told you the game wasn't finished."

Gibbs looked up from Vance to his secretary, and then looked back down at the piece of paper and continued to read it aloud.

"You'll come around to seeing things my way soon enough--I promise. Your Friend. P.S. Oh, and by the way--just a heads up--my next masterpiece will be something a little more...'Exotic'." Gibbs finished reading the note out loud.

"What does it mean?" Vance's secretary asked, curiously.

Gibbs thought a moment, and then the answer came to him.

"Ziva." he said, more to himself than to either of the other two standing in the room with him.

Gibbs turned, and headed out of the room as quickly as he could manage.

--In The Squad Room--

Gibbs reached the squad room in no time and found his team still standing around waiting for him. He let out a low sigh of relief. Everyone, including Ziva, was okay.

"Boss?" McGee asked, upon seeing Gibbs walking towards them. "Everything...okay?"

"You three have a problem following orders?" Gibbs asked plainly.

"We were waiting for you." Ziva replied.

Gibbs just shook his head being careful not to let on that he was anything else but annoyed by their disobedience.

"Gear-up." he told them, as he headed for his desk to grab his coat, shield, and side-arm.

Tony, Ziva, and McGee all began to gather up their gear as quickly as they could.

Gibbs holstered his Sig, stowed his shield away in his coat pocket, and then headed out of the bullpen.

"Go on down to the car," he called over his shoulder. "I'll meet ya down there."

--Parking Lot--

A few minutes later the team met up with Gibbs in the parking lot. They were stowing their gear in the trunk of the car when Gibbs walked up.

"Gibbs is in...'good spirits'." Ziva remarked, quietly.

"Usually when something like this happens his trigger finger starts twitching." McGee agreed.

"I know. Its scary." Tony added. "I think this one's got him really shook up."

"I keep waiting for him to-" Tony started to add.

"Talking about me, DiNozzo?" Gibbs asked, coming up behind the team.

"Boss."

They all stood up straight and turned around.

Gibbs was carrying a Kevlar vest under one arm.

"Here, put this on." Gibbs said, handing the vest to Ziva.

"Sir?" Ziva asked, confused.

"Put it on." Gibbs repeated.

"May I ask why?" Ziva asked, as she began to strip out of her NCIS over jacket.

"Because I said so." Gibbs snapped, rounding on her. His voice rising ever so slightly.

"Yes sir." she replied.

It took Ziva only a minute or so to get the vest on, and then get her coat back on over that.

"Boss, do we need-" McGee started to ask.

"No McGee. You don't." Gibbs replied instantly, as he slid into the driver's seat of the car.

"He's not telling us something." Tony said quietly, as he reached for his car door.

"You think." Ziva remarked, shifting uncomfortably in the Kevlar vest as she slid into the backseat of the car on her side.

"I've got a bad feeling about this you guys." McGee added.

Everyone strapped in, and then Gibbs pulled the car out of the parking lot in a little bit of a hurry.


---------To Be Continued in Part Three---------
Boom! Part Three by niceguy87
---BOOM! Part Three---

Chapter Five--

(Several Hours Later)

The team stood around the grave site in Richmond Virginia, as what was supposed to be Arthur Kraczinsky's coffin was raised from below the ground.

"I'll never get used to digging up dead people." McGee commented as he looked on at the sight before him.

"If Gibbs is right," Tony started to say.

"And he usually is." Ziva added in.

"Our guy won't be in there." Tony finished. "And no one will have been disturbed." he added.

Gibbs cell phone rang from within his coat pocket. He fished it out, as he turned away from the noise, and answered it.

"Gibbs." he said into the receiver.

"Jethro," came Ducky's voice over the line, calm and even. "She's out of surgery."

"How is she?" Gibbs asked, as he stuck a finger into his open ear so that he could hear Ducky better.

"She's stable--for now." Ducky replied, clearing his throat a little bit.

"They moved her into ICU just a short while ago." he added. "Dr. Kelly said they wanted to keep a close eye on her, there, until she can at least breathe on her own again."

"Thanks Duck. Keep me posted." Gibbs said quietly.

"I will Jethro." Ducky replied.

"And Duck--try and get some rest too." Gibbs added.

"Easier said...than done I'm afraid."

Gibbs just gave a small chuckle before saying bye and then hanging up on the aging M.E.

"Alright. There she is!" called a voice, as the noise subsided.

Gibbs returned to the group a few seconds later.

"That's it!" Ziva said, with a frustrated tone, as she shifted uncomfortably in the Kevlar vest once again. "I'm taking this thing off." she said, as she opened up her over coat and began playing at the straps.

"Leave it be, Ziva." Gibbs said, as he pushed through the team.

"But Gibbs-" Ziva started to protest.

"Leave it...Be." he repeated, his voice rising only slightly.

"Come on. Let's open it up." Gibbs said, stepping past his team.

Within a few moments they had the casket open, and stood looking down into it at a decomposing corpse.

They could tell, even though the body was considerably decomposed, that it was not Kraczinsky.

"Well, at least its not our guy." McGee commented, pinching his nose shut between two fingers.

"Nope." Gibbs agreed, plainly.

"Then, who is it?" Ziva wondered aloud.

"Who knows?" Tony started to say.

Just then the cemetery worker who had been standing nearby looking over their shoulders into the casket gasped, and staggered backwards until he fell onto his butt in the grass.

"Must be his first time seeing something like this." McGee remarked.

"Not unless it was a delayed reaction." Tony said, as he moved towards the man.

"You alright?" Tony asked, kneeling down by the man.

"It-its him." the man stammered, finally.

"Him who?" Tony asked, quietly.

The man was silent for a moment as he stared off into the distance--his eyes beginning to mist up.

"R-Ray Larsen...my brother." he said, at last--tears welling up in his eyes.

"How do you know?" Ziva asked. She had moved over to the two men, to offer her assistance.

The man looked up at Ziva.

"On h-his left arm...my brother wore a gold watch." the man said, referring to the watch that the corpse was wearing. "On the back...its engraved 'Time is as precious as gold'." he told them.

"McGee!" Tony called over his shoulder. "Our...err...'friend' over there is wearing a watch."

"Yeah." McGee said, leaning slightly closer to verify Tony's statement.

"Look on the back--does it say anything?"

"Aw man." McGee whined as he slid on a pair of latex gloves, and began to maneuver the watch/wrist into a position where he could see the back. "Oh, this is so gross." he mumbled to himself.

"Okay--it says 'Time is as precious as Gold'." McGee said, reading the inscription on the back of the watch.

Tony and Ziva looked at each other, for a brief moment, and then Tony shouted over his shoulder to his silver-haired boss.

"Hey Boss!" Tony called over his shoulder. "We know who our 'friend' in the coffin is." Tony informed Gibbs.

--Back At The Hospital A Few Hours Later--

Ducky had finally drifted off to sleep--the last several hours of excitement had finally taken its toll on the aging M.E.--but peaceful sleep did not come easily.

Scenes from the past played through Ducky's subconscious as he lay slumbering in his hospital bed. Most of them were of a pretty, blonde-haired lady (who was only slightly younger than Ducky at the time).

The woman's name was Sharon Wright. She and Ducky had been dating for some time when the original Kraczinsky case had found its way into NCIS' lap.

Sharon had retired from the Navy, and had been recruited by NCIS shortly thereafter. She also had begun taking extra night school classes as a way of 'expanding her horizons'--as she had once said to Ducky--in her spare time. She and Ducky became instant friends, and soon fell in love shortly after. Sharon had been so full of energy when they'd met, and so full of life--even in her later years--and Ducky had never been so taken with anyone else like her before in his entire life. Ducky had been planning to propose to her, but sadly she became one of Kraczinsky's victims before he got the chance to do so.

Ducky had been heartbroken by her death, and had felt anger and rage towards the man who had taken her from him. He had never forgiven Kraczinsky--after all how could he?

(DREAM SEQUENCE ONE)

Ducky and Sharon were sitting on the sofa at her house one evening--after having enjoyed a lovely meal that Ducky, himself, had prepared just for the two of them. They were, now, laughing at a joke/story that Ducky had just finished telling.

"That is the silliest thing I have ever heard." she said, still laughing somewhat. Her laughter was sweet and melodic like the sweetest music you could imagine.

"And true." Ducky added. "All true."

Ducky could not keep his eyes off of the lovely woman who sat next to him.

Her hazel-colored eyes glistening in the dim-light of the living room.

"Ah, Sharon--you make this old man feel absolutely young again." Ducky said, lovingly.

"Oh Donald," she chuckled. "You're making me blush again." she said, slightly turning away (somewhat jokingly).

"It looks...lovely on you." he said, softly.

(DREAM SEQUENCE TWO)

Gibbs and Ducky stood in the squad room late one evening talking, while Gibbs gathered up his things to head home for the night.

Ducky was showing Gibbs a shiny, new engagement ring that he had just bought recently.

"Think she'll like it?" Ducky asked his friend.

"I dunno," Gibbs replied, with a half-way grin, as he stood and picked up his coat. "Why don't ya ask her, Duck." he added.

"Jethro...I know the whole age difference between the two of us is well--considerable, but I'd like you to be my 'best man'...at the wedding I mean." Ducky rambled, nervously.

"Duck," Gibbs chuckled, as he reached over and turned out his desk light. "She hasn't even said 'yes' yet." he told his friend, as the two of them walked towards the elevator.

"Yes...I know, but--will you do it. Jethro?"

"Sure Duck. I'll do it." Gibbs said, as he slapped the button on the wall next to the elevator.

(DREAM SEQUENCE THREE)

It was night time when Ducky's car pulled up into Sharon Wright's driveway. The still night was shaken by the flashing lights and blaring sirens of squad cars and paramedics blocking the entrance to the house.

Ducky was confused by the sight, but as he exited his car a sudden, sickening feeling settled over him.

He walked, quickly, towards the commotion.

An officer stopped him, before he could actually make his way past a string of yellow crime scene tape stretched out across the doorway.

"Sir. You can't be here right now." the officer said, holding Ducky back.

"Why not? What's happened?" he asked, the questions spilling out of his mouth faster than he'd thought they would. "Sharon!" he called out past the officer--in the direction of the house/door.

"Sir--this is a crime scene." The officer said, ignoring Ducky's questions. "The bomb-squad is still sweeping the area for-"

"Bomb-Squad!" Ducky repeated aloud, panic sweeping over him. "Wh-where's Sharon!?" "I need to see her!" Ducky demanded, stammering over his words. "Sharon!" he called out again.

"Sir...Please!" the officer said, struggling against Ducky--who was fighting to get past the officer in his way.

Just then a pair of EMT's came walking their way with a stretcher with a black body bag on it between them.

Ducky gasped, as the officer moved him aside as the two EMT's pushed past them headed for the ambulance waiting for them out in the yard.

Ducky struggled against the officer's hold, and then finally broke free. He bounded towards the two EMT's in a hurry--calling after them.

"Wait!" he called as he ran up to them.

They stopped, and looked at Ducky.

Ducky grabbed the zipper on the body bag and pulled it down a little ways so that he could just see inside.

"Oh God...No." Ducky shuddered at the sight. "Sharon, No." his voice was shaky as he spoke now.

"Sorry." the second EMT offered, as they resumed their course towards the waiting ambulance.

The officer reappeared at Ducky's side.

"We're going to do everything we can to find-" the officer started to say.

"NO!" Ducky said at last, rather harshly. "She's--she's Navy." Ducky told them, as the officer helped him back up to his feet.

"Sir-" the officer began to say.

"Let me be!" Ducky snapped, pulling away from the officer. "I need to find a phone."

(DREAM SEQUENCE FOUR)

The automatic doors to autopsy slid open, and Jethro Gibbs stepped through them. He stopped short when he saw his older friend.

Ducky was sitting at his desk staring blankly at the slightly opened black, body bag still setting on the steel slab.

"Duck." he said finally, speaking softly, as he walked towards the older man.

"She's gone...Jethro." Ducky said, without looking at his silver-haired friend. "Sharon's-" Ducky said, choking up, as he looked down at the opened ring-box that he held in one hand.

Gibbs knew, all-to-well, about Ducky's plan to propose to Sharon.

"Duck." Gibbs said, soothingly, as he crossed the floor to comfort his aging friend. "I can get someone else to do the autopsy." Gibbs offered quietly, as he pulled up a nearby stool for himself to sit on.

"No," Ducky said, with a sniffle. "I 'want' to be the one." Ducky added, with another sniffle.

He placed an arm around his friend and patted him gently on the back. "We'll get the bastard that did this." Gibbs said quietly into the old man's ear (as Ducky sobbed quietly against his shoulder). "I promise." he added, remembering the same promise he'd made to himself after the death of his own wife and daughter.

Gibbs knew exactly how the older man felt. He too had had someone he loved snatched away from him several years before. His wife, Shannon, and their daughter, Kelly.

(END OF DREAM SEQUENCE)

Chapter Six--

Back at NCIS headquarters the team was busy processing the new information that they had uncovered in Richmond, Virginia a few hours before-hand.

"Tell me something I don't know." Gibbs said, as he rounded the corner into the bullpen with a fresh cup of coffee in hand.

"Well our guys' story checks out." Tony said, looking up from a file folder he held in his hand.

He was standing over Ziva's desk.

"He's really shaken up by all of this." Ziva added.

"Well yeah." Tony remarked. "His only brother survives a bout with cancer only to go missing 6 months later, and then magically reappears in a 'dead guys' coffin at the cemetery where he works--I'd be pretty shaken up too." Tony remarked.

Ziva rolled her eyes at Tony.

"Anything else?" Gibbs asked, as he set his coffee cup down on his desktop.

"I did some checking, Boss-" McGee spoke up from the other side of the room. "-Figured if Kraczinsky did fake his own death while in prison...he'd need help."

"Does seem 'logical' Mr. Spock." Tony said mockingly, doing his best Shatner impersonation. "Please continue."

McGee rolled his eyes at Tony from across the room. "Ha ha." he said, halfheartedly.

Gibbs shot Tony a look.

"Sorry Boss--shutting up now."

"Don't stop McGee-" Gibbs said, looking up from his desk. "Keep going."

"Yes...anyway, so yeah I checked prison employee records, and found this guy--Dillon Williams."

An image flashed up onto the plasma screen at the center of the bullpen.

Everyone got up and moved in for a closer look.

"What about him?" Gibbs asked.

"Well, it says here that Williams traded shifts with one Harry Nelson, the guy originally scheduled to work the night that Kraczinsky supposedly died, which is weird because according to these work logs he never worked Friday nights--just the one." McGee informed the rest of the team.

"Does sound a bit suspicious." Ziva commented.

"Want us to go have a chat with Mr. Williams, Boss?" Tony asked.

"As long as Ziva doesn't take off her vest." Gibbs said, turning back towards his own desk.

"What!? But Gibbs-" Ziva started to protest.

"You heard me." Gibbs said plainly. "Keep it on."

"McGee, go with them." Gibbs said, pointing towards Tony and Ziva who were already gathering up their gear.

"Right." McGee said, as he jumped up and grabbed his things.

"What about you?" Tony asked Gibbs.

"I'm going to the hospital." Gibbs replied. "Check in if you find anything...useful."

"You got it Boss." Tony replied.

After that the team headed out of the squad room.

--Later At The Hospital--

Gibbs walked down the hospital hallway slowly. He soon found himself standing in the doorway to Abby's room. When he looked inside there was a man sitting in a chair beside Abby's bed. A man he did not recognize.

Gibbs cleared his throat loud enough for the man to hear.

The man looked back over his shoulder at Gibbs.

"Can I help you?" the man asked.

"Depends." Gibbs replied quietly and plainly.

"On what?" the man asked.

"Depends on who you are." Gibbs said.

"Me. I am Anton Dubois." the man replied, as he stood up.

Gibbs didn't move...didn't even blink.

"How do you know Abby?" Gibbs asked, cautiously.

"How do I know Abby!?" the man started to say, a little shocked and a little confused. "Do you not know? She is my fiancee." the man told Gibbs.

"She never told me." Gibbs said, plainly.

The man stared at Gibbs for a beat, and then a look of realization crossed his face.

"You must be him--the one she told me about." the man said, pointing in Gibbs' direction. "You are Leroy Gibbs--are you not?"

"Yeah." Gibbs replied. "The one and only." he added, very plainly and quietly.

The man turned back to look at his beloved fiancee.

"She said you were the only one she had not spoken to." Anton told Gibbs. "Said she was...afraid."

"Afraid." Gibbs repeated quietly, really more to himself than anything else.

"How...why did this happen to her?" Anton suddenly asked, holding one of Abby's hands between his own two hands.

Gibbs wasn't sure what to say. Hell, the truth was he wasn't really sure of a lot of things right then in that particular moment.

Gibbs shrugged, a pained expression on his face.

"I wish I knew." Gibbs said quietly.

"Please, Agent Gibbs," Anton said, without looking up. "Find whoever did this to my...our Abby." he pleaded, quietly.

"I intend to." Gibbs assured him.

Just then Gibbs' cell phone began to ring, and he quickly fished it out of his pocket.

"Gibbs." he said into the receiver, as he turned away from Anton.

"What!?" he nearly screamed, as he stepped back out into the hallway.

"Ziva's been shot." Tony repeated.


------To Be Continued in Part Four------
Boom! Part Four by niceguy87
"Boom! Part Four"

--Chapter Seven--

"Is-" Gibbs started to ask.

"She's fine, though," Tony reassured his boss. "But she's really shook up." Tony said, clearing his throat.

"Its a good thing she was wearing that vest under her coat." Tony remarked.

Gibbs nodded in agreement, though he knew Tony could not see it.

"Did you find Williams?" Gibbs asked.

"Yeah. We're headed back to the office with him now." Tony replied.

"I'm on my way." Gibbs told him.




--Back At NCIS HQ--

Gibbs stepped off of the elevator and headed towards the bullpen. Director Vance's secretary was just dropping off some materials for Gibbs and his team, and happened to almost run into Gibbs on her way out.

"Ziva?" Gibbs asked, upon seeing Vance's secretary.

"She's with the others down in interrogation, but-" the young woman started to explain.

Gibbs brushed past her, and headed for the interrogation room.

"Sir!? Agent Gibbs!?" the young woman called after him, but to no avail.


--Observation Room--

A few minutes later the door to the observation room opened up, and Gibbs stepped inside. Ziva was the only one in the room other than the techies that were taping the scene unfolding inside the interrogation room just next door.

"Ziva." Gibbs said, upon seeing her.

"Gibbs!" Ziva cried, as she threw herself into the silver-haired man's arms.

"He tried to kill Tony." she told him. "He tried-"

"Its okay." he whispered in her ear.

He knew that Tony was like a brother to Ziva, and vice-versa, and that they would do anything for each other.

So right now she WAS scared.

"The baby?" Gibbs asked quietly, slipping a hand down to her stomach.

"We are both fine," she whispered back.

Gibbs hugged Ziva tight for a brief moment.

That was the other secret that was being hidden within the walls there at NCIS. Gibbs and Ziva were a secret couple, and they had just learned only a week before that Ziva was pregnant.

"I-I am sorry for the way I acted this morning." Ziva told Gibbs, quietly. "I know you were only being hard on me...to protect me."

"No one else is gonna get hurt." Gibbs promised Ziva, as he held her in his arms.

Ziva nodded.




--Interrogation Room--

Gibbs stepped into the room a few minutes later, and motioned for Tony and McGee to leave him alone with Williams.

As Tony and McGee made their way out of the room, Gibbs grabbed McGee by the shoulder and whispered something into his ear--and then he sat down at the table across from Williams.

"Agent Gibbs." Williams said, at seeing Gibbs.

"Where's Kraczinsky?" Gibbs asked, plainly.

"Can't say." Williams replied.

"Two of my people are in the hospital, and one was almost shot to death in your home." Gibbs said, his blood pressure steadily on the rise.

"Yes, and how unfortunate that would have been too." Williams replied.

"You're going to tell me what I want to know...or I'll kill you right here." Gibbs threatened in a low growling voice.

Williams stared at Gibbs for a few beats, and then tried to laugh but found that it came rather hard at that moment.

"You wouldn't." he said, testing Gibbs.

Gibbs pulled out his Sig, swiftly, and set it down on the table. His trigger finger twitched visibly in front of Williams.

"Try me." Gibbs dared him.

Williams swallowed hard as he stared at Gibbs for a few more beats.

"Fine." he said at last. "But I want a deal." he added, insistently.






Chapter Eight --

Gibbs and the team were waiting in the squad room while the Director met with Williams' lawyer and a JAG lawyer.

Gibbs eyed Ziva from his desk. She still looked really shaken up, and it really bothered Gibbs.

Finally, he stood up and walked towards Ziva's desk.

"Ziva," he said, as he approached her desk. "With me." he said, motioning for her to follow.

He led her to the elevator where he pressed the button on the wall.

"Where are we going?" she asked quietly.

"To talk." Gibbs replied, plainly.

The elevator door opened up after a few seconds, and Gibbs stepped aside to let Ziva enter first.

When they were both in the elevator and the doors had closed--Gibbs slapped the stop switch after a few seconds, and the elevator car came to a sudden halt.

"Talk to me." he said softly, as he turned to face her.

Ziva stared down at her feet for a minute or so before saying anything.

--FlashBack Sequence--

Ziva, Tony, and McGee stormed through the front door of Williams' place, only to find themselves standing in an empty living room.

"Spread out." Tony told them. "But be careful." he added, quietly.

They all nodded at each other, and then set off in different directions to search for Williams himself.

They spent a good many minutes searching the house for Williams, but came up empty handed. The three agents stood in the living room, in front of the big sliding, double doors that led out onto a small patio.

"This was a waste." Tony said, as he holstered his side-arm.

"I'll say." McGee agreed. "I think we've been had." he added, shaking his head.

"Let's look around," Tony said, turning his back to the glass doors. "Maybe we can find something in this place that'll help us find Williams or Kraczinsky."

"Agreed." Ziva and McGee said.

Ziva started to turn away when something caught her eye. There was a glowing, red dot on the carpet just behind Tony.

The red dot began to move slowly across the floor.

Ziva followed it carefully.

The red dot suddenly jumped into the air, and landed on Tony's back. That's when it clicked in Ziva's mind.

'A laser sight'. she thought to herself.

At this point the laser sight had stopped completely aimed at the middle of Tony's back.

Ziva moved quickly--closing the distance between her and Tony as fast as she could.

"Tony!" she yelled, as she dove towards the Senior Field Agent.

Tony started to spin around just in time to see Ziva hurl herself between him and the red dot.

BANG!

Ziva dropped to the floor.

"Ziva!" Tony and McGee yelled at the same.

Tony dashed to Ziva's side, and McGee started to follow; but something moving outside caught his attention.

"Stay with her." McGee said quickly. "There's someone outside." he added, as he headed for the door--weapon drawn at the ready.

"Ziva." Tony said, rolling his partner over onto her back. "Ziva, are you-"

Ziva stirred, and then her eyes fluttered open.

"Ziva!?" Tony said again.

"Even with a vest," Ziva said sluggishly. "That still hurts."

"Vest?" Tony repeated, somewhat confused, but then he remembered.

"That's right," he said, with a sigh of relief. "Gibbs made you put on that vest."

Ziva nodded as she, with Tony's help of course, pulled herself into a sitting position on the floor.

"He knew." was all Tony could say after that.

--End of FlashBack--

"After that," Ziva continued, shaking her head. "We went outside, and McGee had managed to chase down and subdue Williams. Now, we are here."

Gibbs leaned forward, and planted a gentle kiss on the dark-haired woman's forehead.

"I'm just glad you're okay." he whispered softly.




.........To Be Continued.........
This story archived at http://www.ncisfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=4015