If That Mockingbird Don't Sing by kaliya22
Summary: Too short for a summary. Just a little something that popped in my head.
Categories: Gibbs/Kate Characters: Leroy Jethro Gibbs, Kate Todd
Genre: Hurt/Comfort
Pairing: Gibbs/Kate
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 449 Read: 2070 Published: 04/20/2011 Updated: 04/20/2011

1. If That Mockingbird Don't Sing by kaliya22

If That Mockingbird Don't Sing by kaliya22
Author's Notes:
Too short for a summary. Just a little something that popped in my head.
Disclaimer â€" The characters and the song don't belong to me!

Hush, little baby, don't say a word
Papa's gonna buy you a mockingbird


He heard her soft voice singing long before he reached the nursery doors. He stopped outside the doors, just out of sight.

If that mockingbird don't sing,
Papa's gonna buy you a diamond ring.


He heard the tremor in her voice, heard the unshed tears. He rested his head against the wall, closing his eyes against his own tears.

If that diamond ring turns brass
Papa's gonna buy you a looking glass


He forced himself off the wall and to the doorway. She had her back to the door, looking out the window, the tiny baby cradled in her arms.

If that looking glass gets broke,
Papa's going to buy you a billy goat.


She rocked gently side to side, her auburn hair swaying slightly. He took a step into the room.

If that billy goat won't pull,
Papa's going to buy you a cart and bull.


He heard a sad sigh as a nurse came into the room behind him. She waited, respectfully, for him to move forward first.

If that cart and bull turn over,
Papa's going to buy you a dog named Rover


He glanced quietly at the nurse and she gave him an encouraging nod. He took another step further into the room.

If that dog named Rover won't bark
Papa's going to buy you a horse and cart


Just three more steps and he was standing behind her, close but not touching. He knew she had sensed his presence long ago.

If that horse and cart fall down
You'll still be the sweetest little baby in town


Tears fell freely down her cheeks now. He could barely make out the words of the rest of the song as she cried.

Hush, little baby, don't say a word
Papa's going to buy you a mockingbird
If that mockingbird won't sing
Papa's going to buy you a diamond ring
So hush little baby, don't you cry
Your Papa loves you and so do I.


The nurse moved up and gently took the small, lifeless body from Kate's arms. Kate turned around, her cinnamon eyes full of pain as she looked up at him.

"Why?" she asked. Gibbs opened and closed his mouth. He had no answer for her. They stared into each other's eyes for a long moment, their gaze saying more than words could. A single tear fell down his cheek as she wrapped her arms around his neck. He held her close as she sobbed into his shoulder. His tears ran down into her hair as they clung to each other, mourning the loss of the tiny soul.

A/N- I originally started to put more into this, to describe the back story for the scene. But I decided to leave it like this.
This story archived at http://www.ncisfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=4102