Grounded In Truth by WCUGirl
Summary: Story 5 in With Honors Series. Tony starts his new job at NCIS.
Categories: Gen Characters: Abby Sciuto, Anthony DiNozzo, Donald Mallard, Leroy Jethro Gibbs, Vivian Blackadder
Genre: Alternate Universe, Angst, Drama, Episode Related, Hurt/Comfort, Series
Pairing: None
Warnings: Domestic abuse
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 10 Completed: Yes Word count: 30675 Read: 52054 Published: 08/12/2011 Updated: 08/19/2011

1. Grounded In Truth by WCUGirl

2. Chapter 2 by WCUGirl

3. Chapter 3 by WCUGirl

4. Chapter 4 by WCUGirl

5. Chapter 5 by WCUGirl

6. Chapter 6 by WCUGirl

7. Chapter 7 by WCUGirl

8. Chapter 8 by WCUGirl

9. Chapter 9 by WCUGirl

10. Chapter 10--Final by WCUGirl

Grounded In Truth by WCUGirl
Author's Notes:
Tony starts his new job at NCIS.
Warning: Abby OOC warning!! Tony is also slightly OOC here, but I think it’s because he’s nervous about his new job hehehe.
Disclaimer: Not mine…I wish they were! I make no money off of this, and own nothing except the idea.
Author’s Note: 5th Story in the With Honors Series. The timeline on this doesn’t line up directly with the show, but I’m making it my own timeline"in my world it works.

Grounded In Truth
Chapter 1
by WCUGirl

Tony DiNozzo stepped onto the elevator in the lobby of the NCIS building and smiled when he saw who stepped on behind him.

“What are you grinning at,” the man grumped at him.

“First day starting a new job, sir,” Tony replied, his huge, toothy smile radiating his excitement.

“Don’t call me sir. I work for a living.”

“Yes si"uh, then what should I call you?” Tony looked at the salt and pepper haired man standing opposite him with an iron grip on his coffee cup.

“That depends on who you are.”

“Tony DiNozzo at your service! I’m a new probie from Baltimore PD! I was told I’d be working on the MCRT…whatever that is?”

Gibbs reached out and slapped his son across the back of the head and rolled his eyes to the ceiling. He knew they’d agreed that they weren’t going to spread information about their relationship around the office, but Tony was taking this to the extreme. He reached out and hit the emergency stop button, bringing the elevator to a grinding halt. Tony yelped in surprise and looked at his dad, who looked completely nonplussed. Tony bet Gibbs’ coffee didn’t even dare slosh in the cup.

“What are you doing, Dad,” he hissed.

“Listen to me Tony.”

Tony smiled that big toothy grin again.

“Tony!”

Tony deflated a little. “Sorry,” he said contritely, “I’m just a little bit nervous.”

Gibbs took a step closer. Tony would have backed up to avoid the scrutiny, but he was already against the wall and had nowhere to go.

“Gonna be alright Tony. I’ll teach you everything you need to know.”

Tony nodded and adjusted his grip on the box in his hands.

He felt he was nervous with good reason. After all, he was replacing Stan Burley the guy who’d been Gibbs’ Senior Field Agent for as long as Tony could remember. Stan had accepted a position as Agent Afloat aboard one of the naval ships in the Pacific. Vivian Blackadder was two seconds away from putting in her two-week notice. Tom Morrow knew this when he called Tony and offered him the job as Senior Field Agent. Gibbs told Tony over dinner a couple nights before he started that he had a bad feeling about her…he felt like she had an agenda.

Tony wasn’t worried about working for Gibbs. Hell, he’d been around the man since he was seventeen, what would be different about taking orders from him at work?

Tony looked at his dad. “I know you’re right Dad,” he said quietly, “it’s just…after everything that’s happened…I want to make a good impression on everyone, ya know?”

Gibbs nodded. “I know. Just be yourself Tony. Be the good cop that you are and the caring person you try to pretend not to be. You’ll make friends and you’ll impress people, I’m sure.”

Tony looked at his dad. “You really think so?”

Gibbs smiled. It was rare to see a full smile from the man anymore. He used to smile at him, Kelly and Shannon quite often, but ever since…well he just didn’t smile as much as he used to. Tony smiled shyly at him. Gibbs reached out and cupped Tony’s face in his hands.

“I recommended you for the position. I know you better than anybody, right?” Tony nodded. Gibbs’ gaze didn’t falter. “Would I have recommended you for the position if I didn’t think you could do it, or if I didn’t want you?”

“No,” Tony said quietly.

Gibbs whacked him on the back of the head and hit the start button. “Then quit questioning me, DiNozzo,” he said. His tone was gruff, but his eyes were smiling. Tony smirked at him then nodded.

“Yes sir,” he said cheekily.

Gibbs glared at him. “You can call me, Boss,” he sniped.

Tony bit down a laugh. “Yes Boss. Whatever you say Boss. After all, you’re the boss, Boss!”

Gibbs turned toward the door and rolled his eyes to the ceiling while fighting down a smile. God help him, what had he just done?

~*~*~*~
Vivian Blackadder was already at her desk when Gibbs strode off the elevator with his new Senior Field Agent following him. She looked at Tony. He looked familiar, but she couldn’t place him right off the top of her head.

“Well, well Gibbs, looks like you did a good job picking out a puppy for yourself,” she sneered, “you’ve already got him trained and you’ve just barely gotten off the elevator.”

Tony stopped short and blinked in surprise at the haughtiness in the woman’s tone. He’d never even met her and this was how he was going to be treated? Great. This would be fun. Tony wondered about the ever growing quantity of psychotic women in his life.

Gibbs sat down at his desk and flipped on his computer. It took him a moment to realize that Tony was standing in front of his desk, looking unsure of what he should be doing.

“You do have a desk, you know,” he commented mildly, not looking up from the file he was studying.

Tony raised an eyebrow and smiled. “I didn’t think you’d make me sit in the middle of the floor, Boss.”

Gibbs looked up at him, one eyebrow up, judging how serious Tony was being. He knew his kid was a bit of a smartass, but he was left wondering just how far Tony would push it.

“That desk,” Gibbs pointed at the desk directly across from Blackadder.

Tony turned without a word and sat down at his new desk. He set the small box he was carrying on top and began lifting out belongings. He pulled out his Mighty Mouse stapler, an American Pie coffee cup, his favorite letter opener. Then he pulled out some other things"a calendar, a picture frame with a shot of him and his frat buddies from college, several pens, a rolodex of phone numbers and contacts. He opens the bottom drawer of his file cabinet and in it went two extra shirts, a sweatshirt, a pair of jeans and extra socks, shoes, and boxer shorts. He also adds a small kit which Gibbs knows would include shampoo, soap, deodorant, razor and a toothbrush. Tony had told Gibbs over and over again that the only way to survive is to keep a go-bag in the car and another one in the file cabinet by your desk.

When Tony was finished he looked up to see Vivian staring at him.

“What?”

She took a sip of the coffee in her hand then slammed the cup down on the desk. “You think you can just waltz in here and make yourself right at home and pretend like you’ve worked here forever? I think you’re a little premature unpacking your suitcase Probie because you haven’t seen hell til you’ve worked with Gibbs. What are you so damn happy about,” she snapped.

Tony smiled. “Just happy to be here, sweetheart,” he bit out, the smile never wavering.

Vivian pushed back from her desk. “I’m going to see Abby. Please, don’t call me,” she groaned.

As the elevator door slid shut Gibbs winked at Tony. “Oh, we won’t,” he said.

~*~*~*~
“Viv! Hey! What are you doing down here so early? Gibbs already getting to you?”

Vivian flopped down in Abby’s desk chair while the forensic specialist wandered around her lab turning on machines.

“Oh no, it’s not Gibbs for a change. It’s the new guy who is upstairs following Gibbs around.”

Abby’s eyes lit up. “Is he hot?”

Vivian nodded. “Incredibly so. But he’s one of those eager beaver rookie types ya know? Too damn happy to be here. He has a Mighty Mouse Stapler for God’s sakes!”

“He already unpacked his stuff?”

“That’s what I said!”

“Doesn’t he know that agents on Gibbs’ team have a pretty high rate of turnover? I mean don’t get me wrong, I love Gibbs, but…not everyone shares that sentiment.”

Vivian nodded and ran a hand over her forehead. “It’s weird Abby. It’s like they know each other or something. I’m missing something.”

Abby picked up a stack of files. “Well I think it’s high time I meet mister special agent. You wanna come watch?”

Vivian nodded and followed her friend to the elevator. “I wouldn’t miss this!”

~*~*~*~
Back upstairs, the elevator dinged its arrival and neither man even looked up. Gibbs had shown Tony where the cold cases file room was located and Tony was hard at work on a case file in front of him.

“Gibbs!” Abby ran off the elevator, jet black pigtails flying behind her. Gibbs heard her platform boots clomping on the floor and braced himself for the impact. Abby hugged him tightly and kissed his cheek.

“Abby this is Tony DiNozzo, my new agent,” he said without reciprocating the hug or the kiss. “He’s just moved here from Baltimore and will be on my team.”

“That’s where I know you from,” Blackadder exclaimed! “You’re the cop who got"”

“Who got made undercover during the drug bust we did several months ago,” Gibbs cut her off before she could complete her sentence. She glared at him.

Abby set the files down on Gibbs’ desk and sat down on the edge of it. “Can we go to lunch today, Gibbs? I wanted to show you the new idea I have for the tattoo I want to get on my back.”

Gibbs smiled at her. “Rain check Abs.” He nodded his head in Tony’s direction. “Tony and I are doing lunch today.”

Abby flipped around on Tony. “You’re the talk of the building, mister"I’ve been hearing about you for days now. I didn’t realize the new agent everyone’s been talking about would be working on the Silver Fox’s team.”

“The silver who?” Tony asked.

“The silver fox. That’s what I call Gibbs. Of course you’d know that if you’d actually been here longer,” she said snippily, giving him a once over.

“Uhh…right,” Tony said. He didn’t understand what these women’s problems with him were. He hadn’t done anything to either of them.

Gibbs’ cell phone rang.

“Gear up, we got a case. Dead Navy Lieutenant. DiNozzo, Blackadder, with me.”

Gibbs left the bullpen without another word to Abby and Vivian and Tony followed him closely. “See you later Abs,” Vivian called.

Abby watched the elevator doors slide shut. She crossed her arms over her chest. “Rain check? Seriously?! He never ‘rain checks’ me,” she muttered to herself as she walked to the stairs. By the time she reached her lab’s floor Abby had made a decision. As soon as she got a free few minutes, she was going to check Tony out.

~*~*~*~
It was hours later when she walked over to her big brained computer and began typing.

“Just who are you, Tony DiNozzo, and what makes you so damn special?”

Abby typed and clicked and followed the information she gathered. Just as she was ready to hit the button to display Tony’s full history to her, someone behind her cleared his throat. She whipped around, hating that she’d been caught red-handed.

“Abigail, what are you doing?”

“Uh…nothing, Duck Man!” She gave him a big hug to try and distract him. He didn’t bite.

“I see you are searching for information on our new senior field agent upstairs.”

“He’s the SENIOR FIELD AGENT?! I thought he just started here?”

“He did. Jethro chose him specifically to replace Stan Burley.”

Abby flopped down in her seat, arms crossed over her chest. “I wish Stan hadn’t taken that job on that stupid ship. Why’d he have to leave us?”

“Because he’s developed a bleeding ulcer from working under Jethro,” Ducky replied gently.

“Maybe Tony won’t be able to handle him,” Abby suggested, eyes growing wide. She didn’t know what it was about the new agent that she didn’t like, but there was certainly something that rubbed her wrong. Gibbs had ‘rain checked’ her!

“I think everyone will be pleasantly surprised at just how well Tony does handle Jethro,” Ducky said fondly, recalling the years he’d known the pair. Yes, Tony would be just fine.

“I dunno what’s so great about him, Ducky! To listen to people around here though, you’d think he walks on water or something! What is he, God’s gift to Federal Agents?”

Ducky patted her lightly on the shoulder. “He is a good investigator, Abigail. He’s also a good man, and has the potential to be a good friend. You should get to know him.”

Abby deflated a little under Ducky’s touch. “Yeah…you’re right Ducky. I’ll just have to get to know a little more about him before I pass any judgments on him.”

“Good girl,” Ducky said. “Now if you will excuse me. I must return to the lab and see what Gerald is getting himself into. Do try and stay out of trouble, Abigail.”

As soon as Ducky left, Abby returned to her computer screen. “Yes sir, Tony DiNozzo,” she said quietly to herself, as her fingers flew over the keyboard, “I am going to know everything there is to know about you. Just you wait and see.”

This time, she did click the button. Tony’s face appeared on the screen, along with his name, birthdate, medical information, family background, family information; the list went on and on. Before she could read all of it and make any sense of what she’d gathered, a hand clamped on her shoulder. She jumped; the booming punk rock music was so loud she hadn’t heard the hiss of the doors as they’d slid open.

Abby turned around and was face to face with Gibbs, her favorite person in the whole agency. Right now though, Gibbs didn’t look happy. In fact, Gibbs looked angry. Abby had seen Gibbs angry many times before, but thankfully that anger hadn’t ever been directed at her. Until now.

Abby looked at Gibbs and saw the icy blue fire just beneath the surface in his eyes. She glanced back at the computer screen, at Tony’s face. Glancing quickly over the information she saw the words, “abuse,” “neglect,” “torture,” and “military academy.” Her eyes grew wide, just taking in that bit of information and she turned fully back to Gibbs.

“Hi Gibbs,” she said weakly.

Gibbs took the Caf-Pow he was holding in his hand and dumped it in the trash. Abby tried not to flinch. She knew what that meant. “Make it disappear Abs, and we’ll forget this ever happened,” he said evenly.

Was there a threatening tone in his voice? Abby looked at him defiantly. “I am doing my job, Gibbs,” she said.

Gibbs narrowed his eyes at her. “Is Tony a suspect in a case?”

“Well no, but"”

“Then there is no reason why you would need to have his biography pulled up on AFIS.”

“I just wanted to learn more about him,” Abby hedged.

“Then you ask him questions. Find out about his family. Find out about his education. Find out about his medical history. But do it by talking to Tony. You ask him questions; you don’t go behind his back digging for information. We clear, Abby?”

Tears welled up in Abby’s eyes. Gibbs had never spoken so sharply to her before. “Crystal, Boss,” she whispered.

“He’s got a story Abby. Tony’s an interesting guy. You just need to get him to tell you.”

“Get me to tell who what,” Tony’s voice suddenly asked from the elevator doorway. His sharp sniper eyes quickly took in the scene. “And somebody want to explain to me why the hell my name is being run through AFIS?” Tony looked from Abby to Gibbs and back to Abby. “Am I a suspect in a case? Or are you just using the computer to find out every ounce of information that’s out there about me so you can hold it over me later?”

“Tony it isn’t like that,” Abby started to say.

Tony cut her off. “Then what is it like, Abby? Because what I’m seeing is the new guy isn’t fitting in so the lab geek is digging around to see what she can see about me to start rumors and God-only-knows what else so you can run me off. That it?”

Abby’s cheeks burned bright pink. She didn’t answer. Her lack of response was all the answer Tony needed.

Tony turned to Gibbs. “And you! You’re supposed to have my six, remember? You’re down here helping her! Hell Gibbs, you know most of the story! You don’t need to look it up in AFIS to see what’s there! Hell you probably wrote most of it yourself!”

Abby’s eyes widened slightly at Tony’s comment. She wondered what he meant by that.

Gibbs held up his hands comfortingly. “Tony listen to me. It’s not like that.”

“If this is how NCIS agents get treated…You guys don’t even trust your own enough to ask them questions without having to go look up information on them first. Jesus, this is crazy. Even in Baltimore they made me believe they liked me before they tried to kill me.”

“Tony…”

“No, Gibbs. Don’t ‘Tony’ me. I’m not a kid anymore. If this is how this works…I’m out.”

Without another word and before either of them could respond, Tony turned and got back on the elevator. Gibbs knew he’d be gone by the time he got up the stairs. He just hoped he wasn’t too late to fix it.

TBC…
End Notes:
5th story in the With Honors Series.
Chapter 2 by WCUGirl
Warning: OOC warning!!
Spoiler Warning: Pre-Series Episode Tag: JAG, Ice Queen and Meltdown

Grounded In Truth
Chapter 2
By WCUGirl

Gibbs didn’t even spare Abby a backwards glance as he raced out of the lab and took the stairs, knowing that would go faster than the elevator. He reached the bullpen in record time, and quickly realized that the elevator had stopped on the lobby floor. Tony was leaving. Gibbs took off back down the stairs and got to the parking lot just as Tony pulled his car out of the parking lot.

“Dammit,” Gibbs muttered to himself.

He pulled out his cell phone and dialed Tony’s number. No answer. He hung up and dialed again. No answer. Memories of the end of his second marriage haunted Gibbs’ mind and he told himself Tony would not ignore him for weeks on end as he had before. They had come a long way since then"Tony trusted him more now than he had then…didn’t he? Finally two hours later, Tony picked up the phone.

“I don’t want to hear any excuses from you Dad,” Tony bit out.

“I’m not going to try to offer you any excuses, Tony,” Gibbs said quietly, running one hand along the rib of his boat as he paced circles around it. “I just want you to listen to my side of the story before you jump to conclusions. You’re a better investigator than that.”

“This has nothing to do with my investigation skills.”

“It has quite a bit to do with them actually. You wouldn’t run off half-cocked on a suspect or a lead. You’d know exactly what you were after and you’d be 100% sure before you did anything. I know you Tony. I thought you knew me too.”

“Dad…look I just…I’m not ready for the whole agency to know my life story ok? Can you blame me for that?”

“Not at all Tony, which is why I say if you had heard what I’d said to Abby two seconds before you walked in, I was telling her that she needed to talk to you to get to know you instead of looking you up on AFIS. I was fussing at her son; I was looking out for you because I knew you’d get upset.”

Tony was quiet for a long moment. His voice sounded sad when he spoke next. “I didn’t hear you say that…Guess I screwed up, didn’t I?”

Gibbs knew that was one of Tony’s biggest fears"screwing up and letting people down, especially Gibbs. He sighed, “No Tony. You haven’t screwed anything up.”

There was a pause for a moment. Then Tony let out a long sigh. “Can I come over this evening Dad?”

Gibbs narrowed his eyes in wonder at the tone in Tony’s voice. His boy sounded…off somehow. The anxiety underlying his tone had Gibbs’ attention. Tony had gotten his own apartment in town recently, but he still showed up at Gibbs’ house several times each week.

“You know you don’t have to ask, son,” he replied softly.

“You ate yet?”

“Nope.”

“Can we have pizza?”

Gibbs smiled. That was the Tony he knew. “Sure son. Pizza sounds great.”

**
When Tony pulled into the driveway he was surprised to see his dad waiting for him on the front porch steps. Tony’s strut from earlier was gone. Gibbs could easily see the slump in Tony’s shoulders. He looked harder at his son. There was still some anger in his eyes, but mostly he saw fear. Gibbs wondered what Tony was afraid of.

“Tony,” he said quietly. “Let’s talk out here,” he suggested softly, “it’s a nice night.”

Tony sat down on the steps next to his dad. His shoulders slumped and his head dropped to his chest. He didn’t look at Gibbs when he spoke.

“I know you have your reputation here, Gibbs,” he said quietly, “and I know what you and I agreed about our relationship. But…dammit Dad this isn’t going to work if this is how it’s going to be. These people have to trust me"Abby is ready to hang me from the light post and beat me with a stick, simply because I walked in the door! Vivian…I don’t know what the hell her problem is…Look Dad…Boss…whatever, I’m not trying to cause big problem here…I just…” he let out a long breath. “Don’t you think we’ve dealt with enough crazy women for a while?”

Gibbs’ lips quirked into a half smile. “I think you’re right,” he said softly. “Tony I was trying to prevent Abby from doing the things you accused us both of doing. I want her to get to know you"I want her to look at you and see the man I see, because he’s a pretty good guy.”

Tony raised his gaze from his shoes to his boss’ face. “You think so?”

Gibbs whacked him over the back of the head. “Right. Of course you do. Sorry about that.” Tony rubbed his head ruefully.

**
Shortly after Tony had moved in with him and Shannon, Gibbs had realized that Tony had a lot of pent up anger he needed to find an outlet for. He knew Tony wouldn’t ever hurt anyone in his family, but he was not convinced that Tony would not engage in self-injurious behavior while trying to work out his demons.

In the ten years or so since Tony had initially moved in, the anger had faded some. However, there were times, like tonight, when Gibbs could see that fiery anger burning hot, just beneath the surface. Once the two had finished eating, Gibbs took Tony to the basement and handed him the sanding block.

“Do your worst to it,” he said with a chuckle. “Don’t think this boat has that much life left in her.”

“You are really going to burn this boat? Why not break it apart and start something new,” Tony wondered.

“Won’t be as sturdy. Need strong unblemished wood to build sound constructions,” Gibbs explained. “Sometimes all that it’s good for in the end is sanding and driving out demons. Get to work,” he’d instructed.

Tony rolled his eyes when his dad turned on the farm report on the local station. But the monotone voice of the reporter was soothing to Tony in a strange way…it was as familiar as the smell of sawdust or the smell of the pine scented cleaner that Gibbs used to polish his wooden floors with. Tony lost himself in the simple back and forth movements with the grain of the wood. He could be himself here, he could talk or be silent, he could tell jokes or complain; it didn’t matter because he was with his dad and he knew his dad would love him no matter what. Sure he’d get a whack over the back of the head if he needed it, and Tony realized that sometimes he really did need it. Like when he forgot that his dad has his six.

Gibbs asked Tony what was bothering him. After several minutes of silence from Tony, Gibbs moved back from the boat to give Tony the space he needed. He could see something was troubling his boy, but he didn’t want to push too hard yet. He’d wait and see what Tony worked out on his own. After that…well then maybe he’d push some, but for now he sat on the workbench and watched his boy sand away at the wooden frame filling the basement. He could strangle Abby for what she did today! He knew that was somehow involved, but Gibbs didn’t know how deeply that went, or if it meant Tony was remembering something else. Gibbs also didn’t understand what had caused Vivian’s attitude with Tony either. Then again, he didn’t understand a great deal of things when it came to that woman.

It went on like this for some time, Tony sanding the boat, Gibbs watching, and the voice on the Farm Report droning on and on.

Hours later, well into the night, Gibbs blinked his eyes open and realized he’d fallen asleep with his back against the wall sitting on the workbench. He looked around the basement, and didn’t see Tony. The sanding block was put away and the farm report had been turned off. There was a soft blanket spread over Gibbs and the man realized he must have been sleeping well in order for his son to sneak around him this way. Gibbs slid off the workbench and made his way up the stairs, turning off the light in his wake. It was time for bed. He frowned when he checked Tony's room and saw that he wasn't there. He hoped his son was getting some rest as well, wherever he'd gone for the evening.

**
Tony wasn’t sleeping. He found he wasn’t even that tired. He drove around aimlessly for hours and didn’t realize where he’d ended up until he was flashing his ID at the guard at the NCIS main gate. He pulled into a spot and grabbed his jacket. The February night was cold and Tony felt the chill when he stepped out of the car. He went inside and immediately went to his new desk. He booted up his computer and while it was loading, he went to the break room and made himself a cup of coffee. Carrying his cup of joe back to his desk with him, he pulled up the AFIS database.

He didn’t know what Abby had seen on him, but he was damn sure going to find out. His fingers typed slowly over the keyboard. He wasn’t the best typer, but he wanted to make sure when he entered his information that he entered it correctly. Finally he sat back and hit enter. Tony took a sip of his coffee while the page loaded. Finally his profile appeared on his screen.

What he saw sent him running for the men’s room to lose his cup of coffee and the pizza he’d eaten earlier.

**
Across town Gibbs wasn’t sleeping either. His gut was churning and it had nothing to do with the spicy sausage Tony had ordered on the pizza they’d eaten for dinner. Something was wrong. He got up and roamed the house, checking the rooms, noting that Tony had not returned, and making sure the shades were pulled and the windows were locked.

He was satisfied that everything was fine and was climbing back into bed when his cell phone rang. His gut immediately kicked into high gear again, and then flipped when he saw “TONY” appear on the caller ID display.

“Tony,” he answered and belatedly realized he hadn’t even said hello.

“Dad…Look I know it’s late…er, early…but…”

“What is it Tony? You alright?”

Tony closed his eyes and leaned against the tile floor in the men’s room on the third floor of the NCIS headquarters building. He didn’t want to think. He didn’t want to remember his parents and what all had happened. He just wanted the reminder that his world was as he had left it when he’d gone home from work the previous afternoon. He wanted reassurance that the whole building didn’t know why he was sitting in the men’s room at three-thirty in the morning.

After a long moment he answered, “Yeah Dad. I’m fine. All the change is just gettin’ to me…y’know?”

Tony had moved jobs and houses in the last months. He’d been nearly killed shortly before that and his safety and security had been severely compromised as a result. Gibbs knew Tony didn’t always respond well to change"especially when he felt like he didn’t have enough say in the choices. As it was, he hadn’t really had any choice but to leave Baltimore. The other choices he’d made…well he’d wanted to work at NCIS, but he hadn’t necessarily wanted to move out of Gibbs’ house. He’d gotten an apartment to keep up appearances, so he could have his own space and Gibbs could have his house back, but Gibbs thought Tony would have been happier to have stayed at Gibbs’ house where he was.

“You’re doin fine with all the changes Tony. I know it’s overwhelming, but you’re doing just fine.”

Tony looked down at the gun in his hand. He leaned his head back hard against the tile wall. “If you say so,” he said softly.

“I say so,” Gibbs retorted.

“See ya in the morning Dad,” Tony said softly.

“Get some sleep Tony. I’ll see you at work. I’ll bring coffee.”

“Sounds good. Night.”

Gibbs disconnected the call without any further conversation. Tony smiled at the phone as he flipped it shut.

Tony set the phone down on the floor in the bathroom. He stared up at the fluorescent lights and hoped that eventually the nightmarish images behind his eyes would fade enough for him to fall asleep. He wasn’t that lucky, but he was convinced that Gibbs had his six and eventually things would work out.

**
The next morning, Tony was at his desk when Gibbs arrived, Hazelnut Latte in tow. Tony gave him a small smile of thanks, while Gibbs raised a concerned eyebrow at him.

Before Gibbs could ask Tony what he was doing at work so early, Vivian stepped off the elevator. Her red hair was a disarray of wild red curls and her brown eyes flashed when she saw the matching coffee cups.

“What?! You’re already bringing the boss coffee? What kind of brown nosing suck up are you? This is just too much!”

“Blackadder! Did you find me a lead on the arms deal going down in Rota yet,” Gibbs barked.

Vivian scowled at him. “I just got here Gibbs,” she said.

“Well then quit raggin’ on DiNozzo and get to work! Pick on Tony on your own time!”

“I have better things to do with my own time,” she said crisply, shooting Tony a dirty look. Her gaze almost faltered when she saw how tired Tony looked. However, no time for that now…her brother’s killer was involved in this arms dealer’s business…she knew it…she just needed to prove it.

Tony stood up when Gibbs said this. “Actually, er Boss,” he said softly. “I have a lead on that case.”

Gibbs looked at him, one eyebrow quirked up. “Yeah DiNozzo? What is it?”

“The uh…the deal is going to be routed out of Sorrento. The ship holding the submersible will pass through Naples before it docks in Rota. That’s where the deal is supposed to go down. The ship docks Thursday, four p.m., Euro time. Contact says the perp is going by the name ‘Mohammed,’ Boss. That’s uh…all I got.”

Tony glanced up at Gibbs from his notes and saw the bright shining approval and pride in his dad’s eyes. Then he stole a glance over at Blackadder. He quickly decided that if looks could kill, he wouldn’t live to see the bust go down.

“That’s more information than Blackadder’s found in a week. That’s good work, Tony,” Gibbs said softly. “Damn good work.”

***
“"and then, ohhhh and THEN the cocky bastard stands up and says, oh boss I got a lead on the case and he goes on to tell him all about the ship’s schedule, where it is and where it is going and docking and when all of it’s going to happen. He even has the contact’s name, has made contact and knows the perp’s name! I swear Abs; I’m ready to kill this guy! Who the hell does he think he is?”

Abby crossed her arms. “Geez Viv, that’s rough. How’d he find out all that stuff? Better question"when did he find it all out? What’d he do, work all night?”

“He brought Gibbs coffee this morning; he couldn’t have worked all night!”

“Actually,” a deep voice cut in, “I brought him coffee instead of him bringing it to me.”

Abby turned around, pissed that Gibbs had snuck up on her twice now.

“GIBBS! Good morning, Bossman,” Abby said, eyebrows high, hoping Gibbs hadn’t heard the whole conversation between her and Vivian. After the way Gibbs had barked at her yesterday, after he’d rain checked her, Abby decided maybe she better try to stay on Gibbs’ good side as much as possible for a day or two.

No suck luck. Gibbs was right back up in Abby’s face a moment later. “Abigail Sciuto,” he said quietly, the threatening tone in his voice unmistakable, “did you and I not already have a conversation about you doing things and saying things behind Tony’s back?”

Abby took a deep breath and, to her credit, didn’t look to Vivian before answering. She nodded silently, her eyes on Gibbs’ face, despite her tucked chin. She was in SO much trouble.

“I thought we had,” Gibbs said simply, “because if we hadn’t we were going to. As it stands right now, since you and I have already addressed this, I am going to go talk to Director Morrow and see to it that a formal reprimand goes into your file.”

“For what,” Vivian snapped. “What did she do that deserves that sort of punishment?”

“She disobeyed a direct order from a supervisor,” Gibbs replied simply. “But this is between me and Abby and doesn’t concern you, Blackadder.”

“She’s my friend Gibbs! It does concern me! This could get her into a lot of trouble!”

Gibbs nodded and looked at Abby. “You’re absolutely right, Vivian. Why, I’d wager that if her behavior or yours continues in this way, it could even result in suspension or termination. I will not tolerate insubordination or gossip, especially when it is potentially harmful to another one of my agents. Are we clear?”

Both of the girls nodded. Gibbs nodded once. “I’ll be back down with the reprimand form for you to sign off on Abby,” Gibbs said quietly. He hated to be like this, but he had to be firm"he’d warned Abby to stop and she hadn’t listened. Now she would pay the price.

“What makes DiNozzo so special anyway,” Vivian asked.

“He’s your partner, Blackadder. Why don’t you tell me?”

“I wouldn’t know Gibbs. I’m still trying to understand why you hired the drooling ape to begin with!”

Gibbs raised an eyebrow. “You’ll have a reprimand form to sign as well Blackadder. In the mean time I suggest you get to know your partner a bit. Abby, it would do you well to keep your mouth shut and focus on your job and not so much on the goings on in this office.”

Without another word and without giving them a chance to reply, Gibbs turned and left them in the lab, speechless.

TBC…
End Notes:
I will post more chapters in a couple of days
Chapter 3 by WCUGirl
Warning: PHYSICAL CHILD ABUSE WARNING!!! Content may be disturbing to some readers!
Spoiler Warning: Pre-Series Episode Tag: JAG, Ice Queen and Meltdown"my own versions though, of course hehe

Grounded In Truth
Chapter 3
by WCUGirl

The team had been completely focused on getting the evidence and details together on the arms deal in Rota. They hadn’t counted on getting another case just before the deal went down"a dead JAG officer, found in the river by some boy scouts practicing their archery skills.

Tony drove the three of them out to the scene and on the way recounted humorous tales of his rookie days.

“…then there was one murder case where a rookie emptied his whole magazine into a corpse because he thought it moaned. I was there, so I am totally not making this up,” Tony chuckled, giving his turn signal and checking the mirrors before moving the NCIS truck into the right lane.

“You know what I think DiNozzo?”

“That he’s full of bull, Gibbs,” Blackadder asked mildly. She already had a reprimand coming at her"might as well make it worth her time.

Gibbs shot her a dirty look and then grinned at Tony. “I think you were the rookie, that’s what I say,” Gibbs snarked at him, knowing in fact that it had not been Tony who’d emptied his magazine, but instead was Tony’s first partner in Peoria"nice kid, but too green to keep them alive. He hadn’t lasted long before he resigned.

Tony shot Gibbs an incredulous look"eyebrows high, green eyes wide, jaw dropped"“you wound me Boss. Absolutely wound me,” he quipped.

Blackadder watched the interaction between the two of them. Yeah…she was definitely missing something here. They were too comfortable around each other…but there was more…Tony wasn’t scared of Gibbs. How could you NOT be scared of Gibbs? Everyone was scared of Gibbs. Vivian bet even Director Morrow was scared of Gibbs! But Tony wasn’t. She didn’t know if that made him wise or stupid.

And then it happened"Gibbs laughed at something Tony said.

Blackadder blinked. Gibbs…laughing? Did he…do that?

“Okay, okay, wait a minute, I have a question,” she bit out, unable to restrain herself anymore.

“What’s that Viv,” Tony asked, the congeniality in his tone made her want to vomit.

“Why aren’t you scared of Gibbs, Tony? EVERYONE is scared of Gibbs.”

Tony shrugged and didn’t take his eyes off the road. “Way I figure it…Gibbs is my boss…til I do something to warrant him being pissed off at me, I haven’t got anything to be scared of. And even if I do piss him off I trust that he will still have my six if I need it, so what’s there to be scared of?”

“You’ve obviously never experienced the wrath of Gibbs then.”

Flashback

Gibbs was sleeping soundly, exhausted after a hard week’s work full of bad cases when the phone rang. He heard Shannon groan and she turned over as he reached for the phone.

“mmm…’lo?” Gibbs asked into the phone, still mostly asleep.

“Dad?”

“Tony?” Gibbs sat bolt upright, wide awake. He glanced at the clock. Why was his son calling him at 1:14am?

“What’s wrong Tony?”

“Um…well…hang on.”

A moment later a voice he didn’t recognize spoke into his ear. “Is this Mr. Gibbs?”

“It is,” Jethro said into the phone, putting a hand up to quiet Shannon as she realized something must be wrong.

“Mr. Gibbs we have your son in custody here at the Columbus Police Department.”

Gibbs blinked. “What happened?”

“Seems he was at a frat party and decided he wanted to go get some chicken nuggets from the local McDonalds.”

“Is it illegal to go get chicken nuggets from McDonalds,” Gibbs asked, still not fully awake and not comprehending what he was being told.

“It is when you blow a point-one-oh on the breathalyzer,” the officer responded.

“And you have him in custody?”

“For drinking and driving yes, as well as being under-age.”

Gibbs closed his eyes and flopped back on the bed. “Is there bail?”

“Bail is set at $1500.”

“And his friends…”

“He used his one phone call to contact you. Said you would know what to do.”

Gibbs grinned into the dark. “Oh he’s right, I know what to do. Tell you what officer. My boy will be bailed out in the morning. I’m in DC and will need some time to get to Columbus.”

“So I should just leave him in the drunk tank til then?”

“Is he with anyone?”

“There was a girl in the car with him, whom we also arrested, but her friends have already bailed her out.”

“If you don’t mind, move him into a cell on his own. I will be there in the morning. Do me a favor,” Gibbs asked, “Tell Tony that his dad coming down to bail his ass out of jail is how he’s getting to spend his first weekend off in six weeks.”

A moment later Tony was back on the phone. “Dad I know you’ve been working real hard; look you don’t need to come all the way out here to bail my sorry ass out of jail! I’ll get my friends to take up a collection or something and I’ll get out that way.”

“You telling me what to do?”

“Uh…no sir.”

“Don’t call me ‘sir’ I work for a living. I taught you better than that!”

“I know Dad…” Tony whispered.

“You’ll be spending the night in jail, tonight. I’ll get you out in the morning.”

“Ok.”

Tony hadn’t been expecting the punishment that Gibbs invoked. He wasn’t expecting to have to resign from the fraternity as a result of his behaviors. But he knew better than to try to stay in behind Gibbs’ back, because…well he’s Gibbs and Gibbs knew everything! He also wasn’t expecting to be pinned with all of the backbreaking outside chores for the entire summer when he’d returned home either. He’d managed to get the charges reduced down to a warning since he’d been so cooperative and hadn’t caused any trouble at all"the state had not revoked his driver’s license…but Gibbs personally revoked his driver’s license for the entire summer he was home and in the fall didn’t let him take his car back to school with him for the first semester.

There had been no yelling, no arguing. Gibbs told Tony exactly what his punishment would be and it was as good as carved in stone"there was no bending the man"no trying to convince him to bend either. But there had also been no hitting, no whippings, no cutting, no burnings, no…physical harm done to Tony in any way. Gibbs had punished him in exactly the way he’d spelled out and in fact, Gibbs just seemed grateful that his boy was safe, though stupid. It had been wonderful and awful all at the same time and in the end Tony found he had even more respect for Gibbs because of the very appropriate punishment he’d received.

End Flashback

Tony glanced at Blackadder and realized she was still waiting for a response. “I have experienced the wrath of Gibbs before,” Tony said softly, shooting his dad a look. He still didn’t understand why Gibbs hadn’t beaten the shit out of him for what he’d done. If it had been his biological father, there was no guarantee Tony would have survived it. “I know all about the wrath of Gibbs and believe me"it’s not scary. Not scary at all.”

***
Later when Tony was on the bridge, looking for fingerprints, blood spatters, anything that could help them figure out what had happened to their JAG officer; he looked up at the railing from his position on his knees and was overwhelmed by a memory…

Flashback: Christmas 1974

Six year old Tony stood at the railing overlooking the first floor of the house on Christmas morning. He was trying to be super quiet because it was still dark outside"far too early to be up, even on this momentous holiday! Tony was clutching Gilbert the Gorilla in his left arm and the railing with his right hand. From his vantage point, young Tony could see the dim lights from the Christmas tree in the front room, as well as hear the soft sound of Christmas carols as they wafted softly through the house.

He didn’t know how long he’d been standing there, when he suddenly couldn’t hold back the desire to go down the stairs any longer. He tiptoed along the hallway toward the stairs. He would just have a quick peek then he would go back to bed.

Down the stairs he went silently, making absolutely no sound. He tiptoed through the foyer into the front room and there beheld the Christmas tree. And on top of that"SANTA CLAUS HAD COME!! He tiptoed forward a bit more, and underneath the tree…there it was…the best gift ever"

The James Bond Aston Martin. It was only the fastest, most amazing car ever!!! And Tony had his very own version of it"the little model was in the box, just waiting for him to build it. Tony knew he would paint it silver, just like Bond’s, and that it would be absolutely the best. gift. ever. in the history of toys for Christmas.

He didn’t make a sound, but sat looking at the marvelous gift. There was a tag on it, even though it wasn’t wrapped, and he saw that it was from Maria. Maria was their housekeeper and Tony’s best friend. Of course she would know that Tony would love this gift. Tony couldn’t hide his gleeful smile"until suddenly from behind someone grabbed his collar and jerked him up backwards.

Tony gasped in surprised and turned. He was standing there at the feet of his father"still in his night coat and obviously extremely intoxicated.

“WHA’ TH’HELL ‘RE YOU DOIN’ D’WNST’RS,” his father slurred at him, weaving on his feet and looking quite angry.

“I…I couldn’t sleep, and I thought that maybe if I just…took a look at the tree…perhaps it would help me not…”

“NOT WHAT,” his father roared.

“Not be so excited,” Tony whispered, his eyes on his feet.

He flinched hard when his father grabbed his wrist and began dragging up the stairs. Tony struggled and tugged against his father’s iron grip until the man twisted his arm. Tony gasped in pain when he felt the bones in his wrist crunch together and he let out a quiet whimper when the bone in his forearm snapped.

Tony froze"immediately he knew his mistake"he was never to make a sound in response to pain. Nothing made his father angrier than weakness. He spared a glance up at his father and cringed when he saw the look of both malice and hatred in his father’s eyes. Tony never understood why he made his father so mad"he didn’t mean to honest!"but it was as though him simply being in the house made his father angry.

“So the little priss is excited about Christmas,” his father taunted, “I bet Santa Claus even brought you a pretty pink dolly to play with too,” his father sneered. The smell of the alcohol on his father’s breath turned Tony’s stomach and he turned his head away.

“YOU LOOK AT ME WHEN I’M TALKING TO YOU, YOU LITTLE BASTARD,” his father roared again. Tony tugged desperately on his arm, despite its brokenness, trying with everything in him to get away from the anger this man was capable of unleashing.

His father turned him and smashed his face against the railing surrounding the balcony. He opened his eyes and saw the bars of the rail right at his face and he reached out and grabbed one with his free hand. His father, not to be denied his right to punish, grabbed Tony by the short hair on his head and pulled his face back.

“Merry Christmas Tony,” his father smiled evilly at him before slamming his head right into the railing. Tony blinked dazed, knowing he was hurt badly now and knowing he needed to get away, but unable to do so. He realized belatedly that he’d let go of the rail and now was being dragged toward the stairs, his legs boneless and useless under him. He glanced up at his father, and in his gut knew there would be no escape from his wrath tonight.

“You want to go down the stairs boy? Well go on…get down there!”

A solid slap to the side of his head burst his right ear drum and sent him plummeting to the bottom of the stairs. Tony bounced and rolled, his body thumping and thudding along the hard stairs all the way to the bottom. When he finally crashed into the floor of the foyer, he’d been blissfully unconscious.

Three days later, Tony was finally coherent enough to remember what had taken place that Christmas morning. When he returned home from the hospital"after getting a lecture from the doctor about sneaking around the stairs in the dark, “It will make naughty boys fall all the way to the bottom and break their arms and crack their heads and ribs,” the doctor had said"he was dismayed once back at home to realize that all of his wonderful Christmas gifts had disappeared, and he never heard from or saw Maria ever again.

End flashback.

It was the persistent ringing of his cell phone that finally drew Tony out of the memory. Tony blinked and realized he was clinging to the railing, his forehead resting on the handle, his eyes shut tightly and tears leaking pitifully from beneath the lids. He fumbled for his phone, still confused and shaken by what had happened, glad no one had witnessed…whatever that was…and saw that it was his dad calling.

“DiNozzo,” he said softly.

“What the hell are you doing Tony? I called you four times! Rule number three"never be unreachable.”

“Right Boss. I’m still out here at the bridge looking for blood spatter and finger prints but I…” There. Right there next to where his face had been. Could it really be…?

“Hang on boss, I think I just found something. I’ll call ya back.”

Tony hung up the phone and was quiet for just a moment. He finally blinked away the memory again and got out the materials he needed to capture the blood sample to take to Abby. He collected the blood sample and then peeked over the railing into the icy river.

“Lt. Singer, I hope this is you I’ve found,” Tony whispered softly into the cold afternoon air. He fought down a shudder as the memory of what happened on Christmas so many years ago tried to fight its way back to the surface again. Why was he thinking about that right now?! He stood up and looked around, one hand moving unconsciously over the arm that had been broken so badly it had needed an operation to repair.

Tony blinked again and realized what he was doing. He shook his head in disgust at himself. “I don’t have time for this right now.”

His phone rang. “DiNozzo,” he said.

“Tony, what the hell are you doing,” his dad asked, starting to sound pissed.

“Dad I…I found a blood sample.”

“That’s good work Tony. C’mon back to the office now.”

“Yeah, okay,” Tony said, his mind starting to drift away on that memory again.

“Are you alright Tony? You don’t sound like yourself.”

Tony knew Gibbs must be alone or with Ducky for him to ask such a question during working hours.

“I’m fine Dad, I was just out here at the railing and it reminded me of…something that happened a long time ago,” he said finally.

“You don’t sound fine. Steak tonight. My house. We’re talking. You didn’t talk last time you were over, but I know something was bothering you. It’s been coming for some time. You aren’t getting off the hook here Tony.”

Tony nodded. “Steak tonight. I’ll bring the beer,” he said.

“Tony?

“Yeah Boss?”

“You…you’re alright to wait til tonight to talk, right? If you need to talk sooner, we can get coffee or"”

Tony blinked back the sudden tears that sprang to his eyes. He was touched by the gentleness and concern in his dad’s voice, but still mystified by it at the same time because they were working! That, coupled with the memory itself…Tony shuddered.

“I’m good,” he said softly, cutting his dad off. “It can wait til this evening.”

“1800 hours. My house. Get the blood samples to Abby. We’ll have to wait on those before we can go forward. This case isn’t going to break before tonight, so we can take the evening off.”

“On it Boss,” Tony said, packing up his supplies.

“And Tony?”

“Yeah?”

“Don’t make me come find you.”

TBC…
End Notes:
Some disturbing imagery and mention of severe physical abuse on a child.
Chapter 4 by WCUGirl
Grounded In Truth
Chapter 4
by Jen (WCUGirl)

Tony drove back to the office with the blood samples for Abby, feeling like he was in a daze. The memory of that Christmas just kept haunting Tony’s mind and he found that no matter how many times he pushed the memory out of his head, it always seemed to pop right back up.

Abby was in the lab with her music blaring when Tony arrived. His head was aching a bit thanks to the lack of sleep the night before and the memory from earlier. Abby didn’t look up when Tony arrived, and all of the equipment honestly kind of looked the same to Tony, so he really couldn’t tell which one the music was coming from.

“Abby.”

She didn’t turn around. Tony bit his lip and took a step closer, not wanting to startle the forensic specialist.

“Abby!”

Still nothing, so he took yet another step closer. He was close enough to reach out and touch her, but he hadn’t gotten brave enough to do that yet.

“ABBY!”

She didn’t even flinch, so he stepped right up beside her and looked at her. Seconds later she glanced up and saw Tony standing there and jumped so badly she turned the chair behind her over. She stepped over and flipped a switch and the deafening music came to an abrupt halt.

“Jesus Tony you scared me! What!” she was frustrated because he’d snuck up on her as easily as Gibbs did, but she stopped yelling when she saw the contrite look on his face.

“Sorry Abby,” Tony said quietly. “I really didn’t mean to scare you. I called your name several times but you didn’t hear me.”

Abby ran a hand over her forehead and looked at this guy who was quickly ruining her work life. Wow, he looked terrible this afternoon. She fought down her concern though. She didn’t want to like him, and she refused to let herself care about him.

“What do you want, Tony?”

“I found a blood spatter from one of the bridges along the river we found Lt. Singer in,” Tony replied, passing the blood sample to her, his fingers pressing against one temple trying to ward off the coming headache.

“What do you want me to do with this,” she snapped, holding the sample in her hands.

“Um…well I dunno what all my choices are, but we need to know whose blood it is,” Tony ventured.

Abby started to say something about Tony being a smartass, but she held back. The poor guy really didn’t look like he felt so hot. She still didn’t like him though, but she wasn’t completely cruel.

“Abby?”

“Yeah?”

“Just wondering…I’ve never actually got to spend any time in a forensics lab before…what else can you do with the blood sample?”

“If the blood sample is big enough, I can almost give you a full medical run down of the person. I can’t give you specifics on things like height and weight, but I could tell you if they were healthy or not; if they weren’t I can tell you what they were ill with. With a good sample, you can learn a lot about a person. I’ll have your ID for you later,” she said. There was no malice in her tone this time, but Tony realized he’d been dismissed"made clear when she turned her back on him.

“Yeah, uh okay. Thanks Abby,” Tony said quietly and left the lab. He was grateful that he successfully dropped off the sample without Abby ripping him apart like she seemed to be keen on doing.

***
Tony showed up at Gibbs’ house right on time, beer in tow. He let himself in the front door"which he noticed now stayed unlocked. Tony didn’t have a key, but lived close enough that Gibbs had given him free access 24/7"that meant the door stayed unlocked. Tony thought it was kind of crazy, but didn’t argue.

His mouth started to water the minute he opened the door and the smell of the steak hit him. This was the smell of comfort"this was the smell of a relationship that had known hard times and survived it"this was the smell of coming home to his dad. That, and sawdust of course.

“Smells good,” Tony commented as he entered the living room. He set the beer on the table and shucked off his jacket.

Gibbs didn’t respond; he was busy removing the steak from the fireplace. Finally he stood up and turned around. There was his boy"and though he was trying hard not to show it, his boy looked more lost now than he’d ever looked before"even on that day of academy graduation so many years ago when his father hadn’t showed up. Then there had almost been a look of relief to couple the anxiety then. Here there was no relief"Tony was haunted tonight"something was really bothering his boy and Gibbs wanted to find out why.

“How ya doin’ Tony?”

Tony sank onto the couch and shrugged. “I’m fine. I actually managed to drop off the blood sample to Abby without her ripping my face off,” Tony smiled weakly. “That counts for something right?”

Gibbs smirked. “Sounds like Abby’s calming down a bit.” He didn’t mention the reprimand in her file that would be like water on a flame to the hyper girl. “What’s bothering you Tony? It’s not just all the changes. Something’s happened. I want to know what.”

Well his dad never had been one to sugar coat things. Tony took a deep breath and popped a bite of steak in his mouth while he contemplated what to tell his dad. He’d been asked a direct question; he knew there was no way to get out of answering, and he knew better than to lie.

“I uh, I remembered something today. From a long time ago.”

“On the drive to the scene?”

Tony laughed. “No Dad"there was I was remembering my drunk driving arrest, sophomore year at OSU"the first time I experienced the wrath of Gibbs.”

Gibbs joined him in laughter. “I coulda beat your ass for that,” he chuckled.

Tony’s head dropped to his chest. “I expected you to,” he said quietly.

Gibbs’ laughter immediately stopped and he raised an eyebrow. “Tony…you know I’d never…”

“I know you wouldn’t Dad. But I also know my real father would have.”

“You remembered something about him today.”

“I remembered the Christmas morning when I was six years old.”

Gibbs looked evenly at Tony. Tony hadn’t ever mentioned this before now. “Tell me about it?”

Gibbs’ expression darkened with the dying flames of the fire as his son told his account of the Christmas his arm had been broken, and his fists clinched.

Gibbs knew, though, that this must only be the tip of the iceberg.

***
“So what brought on the memory of what happened, Tony,” Gibbs asked softly when Tony finished his story.

“I uh…that is…last night I…” he sighed, “I came back to the office last night after I left your house. I looked myself up on AFIS.” Tony’s eyes were on his lap and he looked completely defeated.

Gibbs pressed his lips together, his anger at Abby reignited all over again.

“How much did Abby read, Dad,” Tony finally whispered.

“I don’t know Tony. I’m fairly certain she had just pulled it up whenever I walked in.”

“It’s all there, Dad. Everything that happened to me as a kid…it’s all there. It couldn’t have been more thorough if I had written it myself.”

“You wanna talk about it?”

Tony looked at his dad questioningly. The ‘functional mute’ was offering to talk? Again? This seemed to be happening more and more frequently. Tony rubbed his temple again, the headache still nagging at his brain.

Suddenly a new memory sprang into Tony’s mind…

Flashback: Late Autumn 1976

Eight year old Tony grimaced as he looked at the paper on the desk before him. Detention? How had he gotten detention? “Excessive talking,” the paper said. Tony covered his face with his hands as his cheeks burned red with embarrassment. He didn’t want to think about what would happen when he got home.

His father was beyond angry. Tony remained still, his eyes on the man in front of him as he paced and yelled, ranting and raving and going on and on about how stupid Tony was, how worthless, how disrespectful he was to have been talking during class! What was Tony thinking? How could he be such an embarrassment to his family in this way? Didn’t he know that DiNozzos were respected"because they respected others first. Right.

His father paced in front of the fireplace and for a moment Tony daydreamed about pushing his mean old daddy into the fire like the children did to the witch in that story…

“You have a choice Anthony,” his father was saying now. “You will decide what your punishment will be. Do you want a whipping with the cane? Or do you want a belting with the strap?”

What a terrible choice! Tony wanted a different choice"a third option"none of the above!

He ran a trembling hand through his hair. He knew his father was really mad and he knew he had to make the correct choice.

“The cane please, sir,” Tony said quietly. He’s get fewer licks with the cane than the strap, even though they’d probably be harder.

His father smiled wickedly and nodded his head. He stepped to the door and pulled his cane out of the bin. The cane was black iron with a sterling silver handle shaped into a ball. Tony closed his eyes for a brief moment, allowing himself to dread what would come next.

“Take off your jacket and your pants, Anthony,” his father said quietly. Tony quickly complied, eager to not earn anymore punishment than he already had.

“Bend over the desk.”

This was no spanking. Tony was getting the beating of a lifetime with the cane. He realized, belatedly, that his father wasn’t hitting him on the rear end"that was purely for his embarrassment. Tony’s father was flogging him across his back and shoulders, the heavy metal ball shaped handle bouncing thickly off of his body. Tony groaned and coughed and squirmed and moaned trying to get away, but his father held him down. Tony cried out pitifully as he felt the handle of the cane finally crack one rib…then two…

Finally"oh sweet Jesus thank you"his father stopped. Tony’s knees would barely support him by this point. He was completely caught off guard when the strap suddenly sliced into the skin of his back"the skin mottled and marred by bruises from the cane already. A hand on the back of his neck kept him still and Tony shrieked in both fear and pain. He noticed that there were still no licks made to his rear end. Of course, Tony realized as the strap continued to bite his back, his father was making sure he’d be able to sit for his detention at school.

“What is going on here,” a brisk woman’s voice broke through the haze of the pain.

“MOMMY HELP ME,” Tony screamed.

“Anthony, look what you’re doing"his back is a terrible shade of color now. I think he’s had enough. Let him up and I will deal with him. Really you need to be more careful Anthony or his school will find out about this. What will you do then?”

His father released the iron grip on his neck and Tony pushed himself away from the desk as quickly as he could. He wobbled slightly and staggered over to where his mother was holding her hand out for him.

“Come with me Anthony,” she said.

She walked him upstairs to the bathroom and turned on the bathtub. Tony looked, but couldn’t see any steam coming out of the bathtub water. Normally whenever he had a bath it was warm and delicious feeling. His mother’s gentle exploring fingers slid over his skin and slid off his undershorts and undershirt. Her fingers traced over his chest as they trailed back down and Tony closed his eyes as they slid lower. He didn’t want to watch. He didn’t like it when Mommy touched him this way. There was something about it that seemed wrong, even though he found that it didn’t hurt.

When her fingers wrapped around his penis, Tony couldn’t help but flinch. He’d had enough touching. He didn’t want anymore.

“Shh Little Puppet,” Mommy cooed at him, “be a good boy and let me make sure you are alright.”

Little Puppet. That was what his mommy called him whenever it was just the two of them. She’d warned him that he shouldn’t ever tell anyone what they did together because it might make some people feel jealous or angry because Tony is such a good boy for his mommy. Tony didn’t want to make anyone feel badly, so he kept his story to himself.

Mommy’s fingers continued to stroke up and down…she told him he was such a naughty boy and he wondered why his body reacted the way it did. He didn’t want her to touch him in that way but it didn’t hurt like when daddy touched him. It felt like his own body was betraying him. But Mommy’s touch was always welcomed after what Father did to him. She continued on in this way for a few minutes watching Tony grow more and more confused by his body and then she picked him up and put him in the tub.

Tony was small for his age, so she had no trouble lifting him. He wasn’t expecting the water to be ice cold and he yelped in surprise when his naked body hit the water.

“Shh don’t fight me Little Puppet, you need a bath. You’re a dirty, nasty boy, letting Mommy touch you like that. Why, it’s almost like you enjoy it when Mommy touches you in that way. You dirty, nasty boy you should be ashamed of yourself. You aren’t supposed to think about your mommy like that, you naughty boy! But you are just a little puppet and you need someone to tell you what to do, don’t you? You could never do anything on your own if Mommy and Father didn’t tell you what to do. It’s because you are a stupid, stupid little puppet. You’ll never be anything but a stupid little puppet…”

The cold water caused Tony to shiver, which made his aching body hurt worse. Coupled with Mommy’s touches and Mommy’s mean words…Tony couldn’t help himself and began to cry…

End Flashback

Tony realized that he had pulled back to the corner of the couch and his knees were hugged tight against his chest as he recounted his miserable tale. It wasn’t until he stopped speaking that he realized he’d been talking at all. His words broke off suddenly, caught in his chest, along with his air. He gasped and then a sob started to release but he bit it back, determined to be strong. Then Gibbs was moving forward. Toward him. He opened his arms and for a split second Tony felt fear, and then he felt the arms begin to close around him and he dove into the loving, safe, secure embrace. A soothing hand ran over his back and Tony stiffened for a moment"paralyzed by the pain in his mind that had been on his back before.

“Shh Tony, sok…they can’t hurt you anymore, you’re safe with me…I’m here Tony it’s alright…I am so sorry this happened to you Tony…it’s alright now…I got you now kiddo you’re safe with me…Daddy’s here…it’s ok now…shh…”

The sob finally broke loose and Tony cried pitifully, clinging desperately to his dad’s shirt. Gibbs didn’t reprimand him for it, didn’t pull away. He let Tony take from him what he needed"love, support, the ability to cling to someone stronger than himself in his moment of need"and he didn’t ask for anything in return. He was content to just be there.

Finally, Tony pulled away. He wiped a hand over his face and stared at his lap. Gibbs reached out and tapped him under the chin. Keep your chin up. Tony peeked up at his dad, part of him expecting rejection or anger at him for being such a dirty, nasty, weak boy, but a big part of him felt relieved when all he saw was sadness and concern.

“Tony listen to me. You with me?”

Tony nodded, his gaze dropping back to his lap.

“Tony look at me. Look in my eyes. This is not your fault Tony. What happened to you? It was NOT. YOUR. FAULT.”

Tony’s fingers fidgeted nervously, and his eyes wandered over the place he truly called home. His dad was sitting sideways, fully facing Tony on the couch. How could it not be his fault? He hadn’t told her to stop touching him like that! He’d gotten detention"he’d deserved everything he got!

“No…no you don’t understand, Dad,” Tony began softly. “If I hadn’t"”

“Don’t! Don’t blame yourself for this! You were a child Tony"you said it yourself, you were eight years old! This is not your fault! You hear me?”

Tony nodded, still not completely convinced.

“Is there more,” Gibbs asked him.

That was the big question. Oh yes there was more. Tons more. Did Tony want to share it with anyone? Hell no. Would Tony share it with anyone? No. Tony wouldn’t share it with just anyone. He would, however, share it with Gibbs. Gibbs was his rock in the world"the safe place he could come to whenever it all got to be too much for his tortured soul to endure. When it all got to be too big, Gibbs was there to take life on for him. Tony trusted Gibbs.

Tony. Trusted. Gibbs.

Could Tony trust Gibbs with his story? His past? Did he trust that Gibbs would still love him despite the story that he would tell this man?

Tony nodded and took a deep breath, leaning against his dad. “It happened nearly everyday,” he began…

TBC…
End Notes:
WARNING!!! In this chapter the flashback is especially disturbing. It speaks of physical and sexual abuse, which may hit close to home for some readers. I’ve marked the flashbacks clearly. Feel free to pass over them"-as long as you know Tony was abused by BOTH of his parents, the details aren’t really essential to the actual story. The flashbacks are clearly marked.
Chapter 5 by WCUGirl
Grounded In Truth
Chapter 5
By WCUGirl

Flashback: July 1978

He was nearly ten when they took a “family vacation” to Maui for two weeks. Tony was so excited! He’d never been to Hawaii before! His mother was helping him shop and pick out Hawaiian printed button down shirts to wear to the beach, and of course new crisp dress shirts, pants and ties for the formal dinners they would be attending. His mother had even bought him new sandals.

The plane landed at the airport and Tony’s eyes shown in excitement. He wiggled out of the seat strap, but waited patiently for his parents to tell him he could get up and leave the plane. Tony was in such a hurry that he accidentally stepped on the back of his father’s heel as they walked down the narrow aisle off the plane. He stopped immediately, whispering contrite apologies to his father, eyes low, posture making him appear even smaller than he normally did.

His father turned and looked down at him. His face was an impassive mask, but in his eyes Tony could see the anger there. “I’ll deal with you when we arrive at the hotel,” his father whispered to him. His mother was behind him and her hands dug almost painfully into the soft flesh between his shoulder and his collar bone. To everyone he appeared to be the happy-go-lucky DiNozzo heir"the golden child who’d been born with a diamond encrusted platinum spoon in his mouth. Tony knew better though. He knew that to be wealthy like his father one day that there would be conditions. He’d have to play the game exactly right, or he’d never see a dime.

Tony didn’t want a lot of money when he grew up and he told the housekeepers and nannies over and over again that one day “when I’m rich,” he’d take care of all of them"buy them things and take the ladies to get their hair and nails done. He’d take the men to play golf and drink cocktails. And he promised them that he would NOT bring his parents along. “It’ll be the most fun day ever,” Tony would exclaim.

It took a couple of days before Tony was allowed to go outside because they had to give the belt marks time to fade so no one would notice. Once that was done, Tony was given free reign"told to stay in sight of the hotel, and given some money to make sure he would eat and buy whatever his heart desired. His father made it very plain that if Tony lost the money, there would be no more. Anthony and Isabella DiNozzo were not going to trouble themselves to be babysitters the whole time they were in Hawaii. Tony knew what time dinner was to be served and he knew that he was expected to attend and be clean when he arrived"on time. He also knew what the punishments would be if he were late or untidy.

The days passed wonderfully for the young Italian. He strolled along the shorelines, built sandcastles, collected sand crabs and set them free into the ocean and early one morning he watched a baby turtle with its mother on the sand. He’d leave the hotel early each morning"long before his parents awoke from their late evenings, and he’d return for dinner. It was the most freedom he’d ever had and he loved every minute of it.

One late afternoon, he retired to the hotel a bit earlier than normal. His back had been feeling itchy and scratchy this afternoon, and now it was starting to feel sore. Tony wondered what could be wrong. He’d taken his shirt off when he played in the ocean so he wouldn’t ruin it. He carefully hosed the sand off of his feet and legs, put his sandals back on his feet and made sure to wipe them off well onto the mat when he returned inside so he wouldn’t make a mess.

He slid the key into the door and turned it. Tony gasped in surprise when he didn’t see his own belongings in the room he’d been occupying. He looked around"there was a pink suitcase (pink?!), some dollies, the thingies that go into a girl’s hair to make it stand up funny, bottles of makeup and perfume (it smelled terrible!) and discarded swim suits were in the bathroom. What was going on here? He had to be in the correct room"his key had unlocked the door. Thinking maybe he’d made a mistake, Tony quickly left the room as he’d found it, and closed the door, locking it carefully, before walking back down the hall. That was the room he’d been staying in. The number on his key matched the number on the door.

He wandered toward the formal dining room where he knew he was expected for dinner. Tony was embarrassed to arrive in his beach clothes, but he couldn’t find his others. He knew he’d be punished for his mistake, but he also knew the punishment would be worse if he didn’t show up for dinner. He was stopped at the door to the dining room.

“Who are you here to see, young man? And dressed like that? You should be ashamed of yourself.”

“I’m sorry sir, but I am looking for my parents, Anthony and Isabella DiNozzo. We’ve had dinner here every night. Have you seen them?”

The man at the door stared at him in disbelief. “Come with me,” he said quietly, a hand resting lightly on the boy’s shoulder. When Tony whimpered in pain at the light touch, the attendant frowned.

“Are you alright,” he asked quietly.

“Fine sir. You startled me is all.”

The attendant narrowed his eyes a bit, but didn’t comment. He led Tony to the office of the hotel, and told his boss what Tony had told him. The manager looked concerned, and a bit pained, but smiled kindly at Tony. He instructed the attendant to collect Tony’s key, let him go play on the beach for a bit and by the time he returned, they would have this whole mess figured out.

Tony handed over the key to the attendant, who smiled at him and told him to have fun on the beach. Tony returned outside and wondered what he should do about eating dinner. He figured he could eat a bit now and then if he was supposed to join his parents in a while, he could eat a bit more then. He strolled up the beach, noticing that his shoulders, arms and back was beginning to ache worse. Tony saw a place that was advertising “Pizza By The Slice” and ventured inside to see what all the fuss was. He spent the last of his money on his first slice of pizza and on the evening of his tenth birthday, discovered both his favorite food, and his worst nightmare.

Tony returned to the hotel, where he was snubbed by everyone he met. No one would speak to him at all, until finally he found the manager he’d spoken with earlier. Tony asked the man if he had managed to contact his parents and the manager replied that they had been unsuccessful, and that his parents had left without paying their bill. The manager agreed to set Tony up in a room until his parents could be located, but they would be charged as a result.

Tony’s back was badly sunburned from the days spent in the sun with no sunscreen. He called for help the morning after his parents left him, and a room attendant brought some aloe to rub into the boy’s burned skin. Two days later, Tony’s parents showed up at the hotel in the middle of the night to collect their son. They snuck in and got him, then left"again without paying the bill. Tony’s parents were so angry with him for charging money to the credit card, that they punished him severely. The punishment for being so careless left Tony in the intensive care unit for two weeks before he was finally released into a rehabilitation step down center. No one could figure out how Tony had managed to break both of his legs so severely as well as three ribs, simply by falling off a jungle gym. Tony never went to Hawaii again and there were no more family vacations.

End flashback.

Tony ran shaking hands through his hair. He bent over his legs and buried his face in his own lap, trying to control his breathing. He knew he was panting from the memory, trying to recall what had happened, the flashes of memories coming so quickly it was difficult to keep up with which memories went together.

He screamed out a startled, “No!” and flinched away violently when he felt a gentle hand touch his shoulder.

“Hey…it’s me.”

Tony lifted his head and saw Gibbs"still there, just as he’d promised. Tony looked around warily, saw his plate with the unfinished steak on it and felt his stomach revolt. The acidic bile started up his throat before Tony could stop it. Gibbs put a napkin over Tony’s lips and dragged him to his feet, running him to the downstairs bathroom. He watched sadly as Tony sank pitifully to his knees, his own gut churning as he watched his son heave and retch his dinner into the toilet. After a moment, Gibbs stepped out of the bathroom to get a cup of ginger ale to settle his stomach. It was the moment after he stepped away that Tony finally looked up and found himself alone.

“Dad,” he whispered, “D-dad, w-where"” Tony heaved again, this time only vomiting bile. His shaky hands clung desperately to the porcelain rim and tears burned his eyes. He could hear his heartbeat in his ears and could feel the clamminess of his skin. Then Gibbs was beside him, one hand gently supporting his shoulder, the other hand holding a cup to his lips. Tony gulped expecting water, and then spit it when it burned.

“Shh…easy Tony, it’s ginger ale…it’ll help settle your stomach, take it easy…try again,” Gibbs murmured softly, raising the cup to Tony’s lips again. This time Tony drank slowly, sipping the cold soda, wincing as it slid down his raw throat. The hand on his shoulder slid around his back to support him better. Tony sank back on his heels and leaned into the embrace.

“I got you now,” Gibbs said quietly, squeezing Tony’s shoulders a bit. “I got you and they can’t have you and I’m not going to let them hurt you. You understand?”

Tony leaned his head in towards Gibbs’ shoulder, resting it there. His eyes drifted closed and he was amazed both at how exhausted he was, but also at how relaxed he was sitting here on the bathroom floor. Gibbs set the cup down and wrapped his other arm around Tony in a full hug. Tony just sat there loving the feeling and knowing he didn’t need to do anything except sit there.

After a long while, Tony spoke. “Dad?”

Gibbs bit back a sigh at the sadness he heard in Tony’s voice. “Yeah, Tony?”

“If you had…gotten me…when I was younger…”

Gibbs closed his eyes, bracing himself for whatever Tony threw at him. “Go on,” he said.

“If you had gotten me when I was younger…would things be very different?”

“How do you mean, Tony?”

Tony thought for a long moment, not moving from his spot tucked up against Gibbs in the middle of the bathroom floor.

“Would I be…the way I am now…do you think?”

Gibbs shifted a bit and Tony snuggled closer into his dad’s chest, feeling safer than he’d felt in a while now.

“What do you mean, son,” Gibbs asked gently.

“I mean…look at me Dad,” Tony sighed. “I’m so fucked up…I don’t stick with a job for more than a few years at a time, I can barely date and the idea of having a consistent girlfriend just…I can’t even go there…and then one person pulls up a profile on a federal database about me and I just"”

“Hey…take it easy, calm down,” Gibbs started to stay, trying to calm Tony down before he got too wound up.

“No Dad, I’m serious! I lost it that day Abby pulled up my profile! You saw me I just"”

Gibbs shifted again so he could turn Tony around to face him. “Listen to me. After everything you’ve told me about"the beatings and the burns and the molestation and the cutting and the abandonment,” Gibbs hated the pain in Tony’s eyes as he spoke, “after all that Tony, you’ve managed to pull yourself out of the rubble of your world and you’ve managed to make a life for yourself. You’re smart and successful"people like you; they want to spend time with you. That profile had the ability to threaten the safe haven you’ve made for yourself. No one can blame you for being upset about this.” He pulled Tony in close again.

“God knows you’ve been through enough Tony. You deserve a break. You deserve to be happy and not feel like you have to live your life behind a mask. To answer your question, if you had been younger when you came to live with us, you would have known much sooner what it means to be someone’s son"to be loved and wanted and cared for. You wouldn’t question it when people do nice things for you, and you wouldn’t spend your life waiting for the other blow to hit. I want better for you. You deserve better than what you’re getting.”

“So how do I get that,” Tony spoke softly now, his voice was tired and he was leaning harder on Gibbs. Gibbs knew it would be time to get Tony to bed soon.

“You start by finding places in your world where you feel safe. Once you feel safe, you start letting people in"build yourself a wall of people to surround you Tony. I’ll help you. You just have to remind yourself that it will be alright. I have your six.”

“You always have my six,” Tony murmured, his eyes starting to slide shut as he leaned against Gibbs even harder.

“Let’s get you to bed, c’mon now, up we go,” Gibbs said hauling himself and Tony to their feet. “We’ve got a big day tomorrow.”

“We gonna bust Rabb,” Tony asked as they started up the stairs.

“I think we should wait and see what the evidence tells us Tony.”

“My gut says it wasn’t him Dad. It wasn’t Rabb. It was someone else. We’re missing something.”

“I agree. For now we need sleep.” Gibbs led Tony into his room and barely suppressed a grin as his boy flopped bonelessly on the bed. Gibbs turned around to toss Tony some sweat pants to sleep in, and stopped short. Tony was on the bed, still in his jeans and sweater he’d worn to work that morning, shoes on but feet hanging off the bed, sound asleep.

Gibbs shook his head and moved to take Tony’s shoes off. Tony shifted a bit and Gibbs quietly shushed him. He got Tony situated in bed and left the sweats out where Tony could find them in the night if he needed them. He pulled the covers up over his boy and pressed a kiss to Tony’s temple.

“I love you son, I will always protect you. I have your six,” he whispered to the sleeping man. Tony didn’t respond so Gibbs turned out the light but left the door open in case Tony needed him in the night. He glanced at the clock and saw that it was barely ten p.m. He went back downstairs to clean up their mess.

Once he was done with cleaning up, Gibbs turned out the light in the kitchen and headed downstairs to the basement. The boat didn’t interest him tonight, but the bottle of bourbon was calling his name.

Gibbs made it three steps from the bottom of the stairs to the basement when he heard Tony’s voice and it stopped him cold.

“DAD!!!!”

xxxxx

Across town a car pulled into the gate at NCIS. The driver flashed her badge at the night guard and was waved inside without question. No one really questioned why any member of Gibbs’ team showed up in the middle of the night to work. Vivian Blackadder stepped out of her car and straightened her sweater. She rode the elevator to the third floor, trying not to think of the way Gibbs would hit the emergency button to stop them.

She hated elevators. Gibbs made her hate them more.

Gibbs made her hate a lot of things more.

Like the new senior field agent, for example. Vivian figured Tony could be a nice guy, probably was a nice guy actually, but there was something about the way that Gibbs acted around him that just irritated her. It’s like he was…nicer? More mellow? She didn’t know, but she knew one thing. Tony had some secrets. Secrets that just might be the key to understanding what it was she was missing.

Vivian settled herself at her desk and booted up her computer. She quickly pulled up the AFIS database and entered “Tony DiNozzo” into the search box. When no results were returned she frowned. Realizing that ‘Tony’ was probably short for Anthony, she keyed that in and pressed enter.

Her eyes widened at the amount of information that her search delivered. Apparently, Tony’s father was a person of interest with the FBI. Interesting. She read about Senior a bit more, smiling with each line she read because it made her understand her ‘partner’ so well. Finally she clicked onto ‘Anthony DiNozzo, Junior’ and waited.

Tony’s face appeared on the screen. His profile had other tabs along the top other than “Criminal Background,” which only held one entry"a drunk driving charge from nearly ten years ago in Ohio. There was a tab that said “Personal Background,” one that said “Professional Background,” and a tab that said “Photos.”

Vivian leaned back in her chair and thought for a moment. It wasn’t surprising that Tony’s profile had all that information on it. Indeed any employee who worked at one of the alphabet agencies had a profile that comprehensive, her own included. Smiling smugly she opened a bottle of water and a pack of crackers. She clicked on the “Personal Background” tab and started to read.

“Just who the hell are you, DiNozzo,” she sneered to herself quietly. As she read, her eyes widened a bit. Oh this was just too good to be true.

TBC…

Author’s Note: For all you Blackadder haters out there…this one’s for you. I just couldn’t help myself.
End Notes:
More abuse and neglect mentioned. Flashbacks are clearly marked. Some disturbing imagery and content.
Chapter 6 by WCUGirl
Grounded In Truth
Chapter 6
by WCUGirl

Gibbs hauled himself up the stairs at an impressive rate of speed and took off up the stairs to the second floor. He reached Tony’s room in record time and turned on the light, only to find Tony sitting up in bed, knees pulled to his chest again, hands over his ears"rocking back and forth.

“Oh God,” Gibbs whispered, quickly rushing to his son’s aid. “I’m here Tony. Right here. What happened?”

Flashback: May 1981

She threw him bodily down onto the bed and straddled him, pinning his body to the bed. She ripped off the shirt he was wearing and tossed it aside. Tony struggled and fought against her. He was getting so big now, such a big boy. Isabella DiNozzo fought down her desire to touch Tony instead focusing on getting the sailor suit shirt on his thin frame. Christ, but he was getting strong! She would have to do something about that.

“Quit fighting me, Little Puppet,” she growled at him.

“No!” Tony cried, still trying to get away.

Tony’s mother reached out and grabbed the first thing she could and swung it. She smacked Tony in the side of the head with the brass lamp that stood on the bedside table. Tony immediately froze, stunned by the blow. Isabella slid off of her son’s limp body and eyed him carefully. He needed to be taught a lesson here…her eyes widened with the smile on her face when she saw it.

It would be perfect.

She swiftly opened the lid to the blanket trunk and pulled out all of the blankets. Then she dragged her son’s limp body across the bed and put him in the trunk. Tony’s eyes blinked open just as his mother started to lower the lid.

“Keep quiet or you’ll regret it, Little Puppet,” she snarled at him.

Tony opened his mouth to protest but the lid slammed shut before he could get a word in.

Tony couldn’t see Isabella DiNozzo then instruct two of the house attendants to carry Anthony’s trunk down to the basement. Really it was just taking up room and it would be better off down in the basement. The blankets could be stored elsewhere.

Two days later Isabella DiNozzo returned to the basement and opened the trunk. Inside she saw her son, who was awake, but in some sort of daze. She tried to rouse him but was unable to. Satisfied that he wouldn’t cause her any more trouble, she helped him back up the stairs and dressed him in the sailor suit before calling for the doctor.

End Flashback.

“Tony what happened,” Gibbs’ voice rose slightly, growing more urgent when Tony didn’t immediately respond.

“No please, no don’t, please I’m begging you, please let me out, please stop, please let me out,” Tony murmured over and over again, hands still over his ears. Gibbs was getting really scared now. He did the only thing he knew to do.

Tony flinched when Gibbs whacked him gently over the back of the head, but it was enough to bring him out of his headspace.

“Hey…you with me,” Gibbs asked softly, keeping a gentle hand on Tony’s shoulder.

Tony shuddered against the memory, wrapping his arms tightly around his legs, knees still drawn in protectively against his body. He tucked his head down onto his legs. His words were muffled when he spoke.

“Bad dream,” Tony finally whispered.

“Tell me about it?”

Tony shook his head slightly, hands running through his hair again, eyes glassy with emotion. “C-can’t…promised…never tell…can’t…”

“Tony it’s me. Alright, it’s Dad and you can tell me anything. I won’t tell a soul. You know that.”

Gibbs sat on the other half of the bed and looked at his son. He turned around and settled his back against the headboard and folded his hands contentedly over his stomach, long legs stretched out in front of him. Tony looked at him, saw the ease there, saw how determined Gibbs was to make him feel better. He ran a hand over his forehead and began to tell Gibbs what he had remembered while he slept.

“Don’t think I’ll be able to sleep tonight, Dad,” Tony finished hoarsely.

“With nightmares like that I’m not surprised,” Gibbs said quietly. “Want to go to work?”

Tony smiled just slightly. “You comin’ too?”

“Do you want me to?”

“You don’t have to…I’m going to keep working on the arms bust. Finalizing rendezvous points and everything you know.”

Gibbs recognized that Tony probably wanted some time to himself to sort out everything they had discussed that evening. He nodded once. “Call if you need me.”

Tony climbed out of bed and pulled on his shoes. The time alone would do him good, give him a chance to clear his head and think straight for a change. He grabbed his cell phone and, with a wave to Gibbs, left.

Gibbs watched Tony go. After a few moments the churning in his gut was so bad that he decided to follow him. Tony needed him. He could feel it.

XXXXX

The elevator sounds were turned off for the evening, as were most of the lights in the building. Tony had been surprised when he flashed his badge at the night guard to hear that Blackadder was also there. Now, he stepped out of the elevator into the bullpen and saw Vivian sitting at her desk, staring intently at her computer screen. Deciding to do a little silent investigating, he stepped up behind her desk with feather-light feet and carefully observed her.

She had accessed an AFIS file.

Tony squinted his sniper eyes just a bit and started reading the words on the screen from a good eight feet away. His gut turned cold and he swallowed the gasp that threatened to burst out. She was reading his file.

What the hell was up with people reading his damn background file?

He took a step closer, trying to see more clearly what it was exactly that she was reading.

Excerpt From the AFIS Report…

Reports indicated that sixteen year old Anthony was the only person home with his mother when her body was discovered. Initial police reports indicated that Mrs. DiNozzo’s death had been suicide. The autopsy later determined that cause of death was due to an overdose of prescription painkillers prescribed for her son.

Reports later reflect that Anthony DiNozzo, Sr. was also at home at the time the body was discovered. He claimed that there had been an altercation between Mrs. DiNozzo and their son who was at home from Carson Long Military Institute for the Thanksgiving holiday. Mr. DiNozzo reported that this mother always tried to be supportive of their son, but Anthony was reportedly “troubled” and “withdrawn,” often instigating “aggressive encounters” between himself and his parents…

End Excerpt

Tony watched as Blackadder stopped reading and scribbled something down on a pad of paper. He knew he needed to stop her. She shouldn’t be doing this. Why was she researching him? He found that he was too dumbstruck to do anything except stand and bear witness to the woman who would undo him.

Vivian scrolled the page back to the top and started reading again.

Excerpt from the AFIS Report

New York Department of Social Services received a call on January 14, 1973 from a maid working at the DiNozzo estate. The maid, who remained anonymous, reported that on the evening of January 10, a dinner party was held at the estate. Anthony was reportedly ill that evening and had vomited during the day on several occasions. During the dinner party, Anthony vomited again, nearly hitting some of the guests and his father. Anthony DiNozzo, Sr. had his son removed from the party, but not before he allegedly beat him with a cane and threw him into the basement. He warned the kitchen and house staff that if anyone let Anthony out of the basement before he allowed it, it would mean their jobs.

On the morning of January 14, 1973 Anthony DiNozzo Sr. requested that the anonymous maid go to the basement and retrieve his “errant boy” so that he could be punished appropriately. The maid found Anthony on the floor in the basement at the bottom of the stairs where he’d landed, his arm broken, running a high fever and surrounded by days old vomit. The child was so badly dehydrated that he was hospitalized for eight days…

End Excerpt

Tony didn’t even realize he was moving forward, but suddenly he found himself striding right up to Blackadder.

“What are you doing,” He asked, surprised by the force in his tone.

Vivian smiled sweetly at him. “Well Anthony you see it’s like this…Gibbs told me to find out more about my partner. That’s all I was doing. My, but you do have an interesting story!”

“You can’t…I mean what…what are you going to do with the information you’ve got,” Tony sputtered. His dad had asked her to do this? No. His dad asked her to find out more about Tony. That must have meant that Gibbs wanted them to just get to know each other right? Gibbs wouldn’t…no Gibbs wouldn’t betray Tony in this way.

“Oh that’s easy, Anthony. I’m going to let everyone know just exactly the kind of person you really are! You will be instantly discredited by peop"”

Tony never heard the sound of someone coming up behind him, but suddenly his dad was there and was striding right past Tony toward Blackadder’s desk. Grabbing the monitor by its cord, Gibbs swiftly unplugged the device, pulling it off the desk in the process, and flung the cord onto her desk, ending her little speech mid-word.

“JUST WHAT THE HELL DO YOU THINK YOU’RE DOING,” he boomed; the loud drill sergeant tone was one that Tony hadn’t heard since his days at Rhode Island Military Academy.

“Well you told me to find out more about my partner, Gibbs. That’s all I was doing.”

Vivian had experienced Gibbs pissed at her before, but this…this was a whole new level of anger for her boss.

“Tony?”

Gibbs’ tone was immediately softer and Vivian was dying to know if Gibbs knew so much"why he seemed to care so much. What was the secret here? What was she missing? Cursing herself, she realized she should have started at the end of the file and read backwards. She decided to switch the focus back onto Tony. She turned to him, eyes flashing.

“What the fuck were you doing DiNozzo? Trying to sneak up on me? Spying on me?”

“It’s nothing compared to what you want to do to me, Vivian,” Tony said quietly. His hands were shaking just slightly and Vivian could see the weariness in his eyes. There was no anger, only…defeat? Seriously?

Internally she smiled. She turned back to Gibbs. She could work this.

“Gibbs you might want to check out Tony’s AFIS file,” she snarked, “it’s one hell of a read, let me tell you. Tony-boy here has quite a story.”

She heard the near silent gasp behind her and inside she smiled again. She turned to Tony now, not noticing that Gibbs had pulled out his cell phone.

“Have you told Gibbs your story Tony? About how you were sooo pitiful when you were a child and you let your mommy play with your pee-pee and you were your daddy’s whipping boy?” Her eyes were alive with delight and she nodded her head eagerly at him. “Did you tell him about how you let your mother die because you didn’t call for help because you were so angry with her? Did you tell him about how disgusting you were to your parents that they left you at the hotel in Hawaii hoping to never hear from you again? Ohhhh and did you tell your boss about the cute little sailor suit your mommy used to dress you up in? Honestly you must be slightly retarded to let someone"”

~WHAM!~

Vivian turned to see that her desk had been slapped hard by Gibbs.

“YOU CLOSE YOUR MOUTH BLACKADDER! YOU ARE OVER THE LINE! STAND DOWN!”

“Ohhhh I see now,” Vivian said saucily, “Tony must be YOUR whipping boy now Gibbs? Why with all the years of sexual experience our Tony’s had, coupled with the years of being whipped and beaten by his daddy…I’m sure he’d make the perfect little toy for you to play with. Is that what he is Gibbs? Is he your little puppet?”

“Stop it.”

Vivian turned back to Tony. She wondered what she had said that got that reaction.

“What’s wrong? Did I hit a nerve? You are a little puppet though aren’t you, Tony? Just a stupid little puppet to let people use you like that.”

“You are a stupid, stupid little puppet. You’ll never be anything but a stupid little puppet…” Tony’s mother’s words echoed in his head.

Of course, Vivian thought to herself, watching Tony’s reaction. That’s brilliant…absolutely brilliant…

“I said stop it,” Tony said again, hands clinching into fists.

Vivian held out her hands, wagging them back and forth as though she were operating a marionette. “Just a stupid little puppet, DiNozzo. Wonder what would happen if someone cut your strings?”

“I’m warning you Blackadder…”

Gibbs was on the phone, talking urgently to someone in muffled tones.

“You are warning me?” Vivian’s eyes were wide in mock-fear. “Ohhhh no,” she put her hands dramatically to her mouth, “should I be afraid? What are you going to do? You’re just a stupid little puppet!”

She stood up and took a step toward him. Tony, to his credit, didn’t take a step back as she stepped toward him. She reached out a hand as though to touch him and he grabbed her wrist.

Tight.

“Oooh big boy Tony has a strong grip for such a stupid little puppet,” she sneered mockingly, but broke off into a pained gasp when he twisted her arm. He spun her around so she was back to his front, arm twisted up behind her.

“Let me go you crazy bastard,” she snarled.

“You think I’m a stupid little puppet,” Tony muttered into her ear quietly. Gibbs was still on the phone. “I’m nobody’s puppet. Not anymore. But I can show you what it feels like,” he said, pulling down on her twisted arm forcing her to her knees.

“Tony!”

Gibbs was off the phone now. Director Morrow was coming down the stairs from his office. Gibbs stepped beside Tony and put a hand on his arm.

“Don’t do this,” he said quietly. “Don’t let her control you like this.”

“See Tony? You are just a stupid little puppet! I have you wrapped around my little finger,” Vivian sneered at him. Tony twisted her arm a little higher and her face took on a slightly pained expression. “Gibbs! He’s going to break my damn arm!”

“Let her go Tony,” Gibbs said again, tugging slightly on Tony’s arm. It took a moment, but finally Tony relented and let go.

“Tony,” Morrow said quietly. “Would you join me in my office please?”

Tony looked from the Director to Gibbs who nodded his head silently. His face was unreadable and Tony’s gut sank. He was going to be fired. How could he have been so stupid to try and work for a federal agency with his past? Tony followed Director Morrow with a heavy heart. He didn’t even look back to see that Gibbs had taken hold of Vivian much in the same way Tony’d had her, and was dragging her toward the elevator leading to the interrogation rooms.

XXXXX

Tom Morrow guided the young agent into his office and offered him a seat on the couch. He handed Tony a bottle of water then sat down beside him.

Tony kept his eyes fixed heavily on the plastic bottle in his hands. How could he have behaved so badly? He was so terrible; he didn’t deserve a job like this. He knew that he would be punished severely for acting the way he had"that was if he got to keep his job at all. Finally, he pulled himself together enough to look up at his boss’ boss.

“Tony, are you alright, son?”

He nodded shakily, just slightly. “’M ok sir,” Tony said quietly. “I’m…I’m sorry,” Tony whispered.

He flinched slightly at the hand on his shoulder. “Tony you don’t have anything to be sorry for,” Morrow said.

Tony turned to look up at his boss. His eyes were wide and full of confusion. How could he not have anything to be sorry for? He had plenty of things to be sorry for! He blinked at him and shook his head.

“What are you talking about sir? I have plenty to be sorry for! I behaved terribly down there! I deserve whatever punishment that you feel you have to give me! I’m sorry, I screwed up, I shouldn’t have grabbed Blackadder like that, I’m so sorry. It’s just"”

“Tony.” Tony’s eyes shot up. There was his dad standing in the doorway. Ducky was right behind him.

“Dad?” He didn’t hesitate to call him that here"he was with friends after all. These people all knew about his relationship with Gibbs.

“Tom she’s down in Interrogation 3. I’m just…I can’t talk to her right now.”

Tom smiled. “I’m proud of you Jethro. I’ve never known you to be one who could use restraint. I will go talk with Ms. Blackadder. Tony?”

“Yessir,” he replied automatically, his gaze back on his water bottle.

“We are a family here at NCIS. We take care of our own here,” Morrow said quietly.

Tony stared up at the director. “Thank you sir,” he said quietly.

Morrow nodded, greeted Ducky on his way out, then was gone from sight.

“Ducky what are you doing here?”

“Moral support Anthony. Jethro called me and told me the basic gist of what was going on…he asked me to come be with you in case you needed a friend this evening.”

Tony grinned faintly. He was still trying to wrap his brain around everything that had happened. Gibbs sat down on the couch beside Tony and wrapped an arm around his shoulders. Ducky sat on his other side and placed a gentle hand on his knee.

“Why are you all being so nice to me,” Tony wondered out loud, mostly to himself but overheard by the others.

“You haven’t done anything wrong here Tony,” Gibbs said, squeezing his shoulders a bit.

“Indeed Anthony. After what Jethro told me, there is no reason why you should apologize for anything.”

“Dad…do you think Morrow will fire her?”

“I think he will handle the situation with a much cooler head than I would have been able to. I couldn’t guarantee that I would not inflict bodily harm on the bitch. Why don’t you try and relax for just a bit until Tom comes back?”

Gibbs leaned back against the couch Tony leaned against his shoulder. Neither Gibbs nor Ducky commented on the way Tony silently cried himself out until he fell asleep waiting to hear what Tom decided to do about Vivian.

TBC…
End Notes:
Flashback Warning! Super-Bitchy!Blackadder warning! Mention of physical and sexual abuse. Be warned of the flashbacks and AFIS report--both are clearly marked. I'm assuming creative license with AFIS--I have no idea how it works, or what info would be included on the AFIS reports
Chapter 7 by WCUGirl
Grounded In Truth
Chapter 7
by WCUGirl

Morrow stopped just outside the door to Interrogation 3 and straightened his tie. He opened the door and saw that Blackadder was seated at the table, hands folded calmly in front of her. She looked at him when he entered and gave him a smile that dripped with sugar. He recalled her probie days when she’d first been hired and had been working on Costello’s team. Her attitude and personality had certainly changed from those days. Before she’d been a sweet, kind, intelligent agent. Now…he fought down the shudder at the memory of the display he’d seen just moments before.

Morrow took care of his agents"all of them. He had to get this right.

“Ms. Blackadder.”

“Hi Director,” she said pleasantly.

“Can you tell me what happened tonight?”

“Well you see sir, it was like this…”

xxx

Gibbs sat with Tony and Ducky upstairs in the director’s office waiting. Tony was asleep, leaning heavily on his shoulder. Gibbs was glad he was finally getting some rest, even if it wasn’t under the best circumstances. Some sleep was better than none, and he knew if Tony could sleep for an hour he’d feel better. God knew he hadn’t slept in several nights before this. Gibbs doubted he’d be sleeping for the foreseeable future"which meant he’d be up all night as well.

“Jethro, I’ve been thinking.”

“What’s that Duck?”

“There is a problem with Anthony’s file…it seems to attract a great deal of undue attention.”

“Who else has looked at it Duck? I already busted Abby and now Vivian.”

“Ah well yes, Abigail was the other person I was going to mention. I should have known you’d know.”

“Speaking of Abby. Ducky give Abby a call. Tell her I need her to come to work.”

“Now?”

Gibbs nodded. “We’re fixing this problem. Tonight,” he said firmly, squeezing his arm around Tony’s shoulders just a bit tighter.

Ducky nodded and pulled out his phone. After several rings a very sleepy Abby answered the phone.

“Ah yes, good evening Abigail. I’m sorry to wake you, but I’ve just been instructed by Jethro to have you come into work.”

Now? came the sleepy reply. It was nearly 1am.

“I’m afraid so, my dear. Jethro is adamant that this case should be dealt with in a most efficient manner. The whole team is here.”

The blood samples DiNozzo left me aren’t going to be ready yet. Gibbs is still going to have to wait for those. I can’t hurry them along. Abby reasoned, while Ducky could hear her zippers and buckles rattling in the background.

“This is not the Singer case, Abigail, it’s a different one. I will have Jethro debrief you when you arrive. We are in the director’s office.”

Alright Ducky, I’m locking up my place now. I’ll see you soon.

Ducky nodded and ended the call. “She’s on her way Jethro. May I ask what you have in mind?”

Jethro smiled and leaned his head back on the couch cushion. “Sure Duck. Ask away. But I’m not talkin’ til Abs gets here.”

xxx

A few minutes later Abby knocked softly on the door. She was surprised to find Gibbs and Tony both sleeping on the director’s couch, Ducky sitting sentry over them. Gibbs opened his eyes the instant he sensed someone else close by. Tony was so exhausted though, that he didn’t stir at all, even when Gibbs started to move around a bit. Gibbs knew this was a testament to how safe he felt with his dad. He bit back the smile and relished the pride he felt in his chest.

“Hi Bossman,” Abby said quietly.

“Hey Abs,” Gibbs greeted her. “I need your help.”

“Sure Bossman, whatever you need, I’m on the job.”

“I need you to get on the director’s computer and pull up Tony’s AFIS file.”

Abby blinked. “Um…didn’t you write me up for doing that?”

“No I wrote you up for disobeying a direct order,” Gibbs replied. “Now get to it, Abs, this is important.”

Gibbs gently eased himself out from under Tony. He gently laid him over on the couch and covered him with his jacket. Tony never stirred.

He stepped to Abby’s side and saw she just about had the profile up. He stopped her by putting a hand on her arm.

“Now Abby before you pull this up I want you to listen to me. The information you are about to see is highly confidential. Consider it as confidential as any Top Secret information you may deal with. If you leak anything you read here I will have your job, do you understand?”

Abby looked up at him and saw that he was absolutely not joking (not that Gibbs ever joked) and she nodded her head. “I understand Gibbs,” she said softly.

Gibbs reached out and hit ENTER, accessing the profile. It took it a moment to load. He turned to Abby.

“Alright now, here’s what I want you to do…”

xxx

Morrow frowned at Vivian, flabbergasted as to how this woman could be so heartless. He’d had security pull the tapes from the bullpen to show to Blackadder. Her taunting jabs echoed around the small room, and Morrow’s frown had grown deeper with each passing second. As Morrow’s frown deepened, Blackadder’s smirk had only grown brighter.

It was time to make the decision. “Ms. Blackadder your lack of remorse for your actions has left me no choice. I’m afraid I’m going to have to terminate your employment with NCIS, citing professional breach of confidentiality, as well as employee harassment as the reasons for your dismissal. I’m going to ask you to leave. You may return in the morning at 0900 to retrieve your belongings.”

Vivian blinked. She honestly hadn’t been expecting that. After all the information that had been leaked about DiNozzo, she’d figured he’d be the one dismissed, not her. Huffing loudly, she stood up and stormed out of the interrogation room. This just would not do at all.

xxx

Vivian stomped out of NCIS towards her car in a fit of rage. FIRED? Her? Seriously?! For doing what, accessing an AFIS profile"like everyone in the office did on a daily basis? This was unacceptable. She had to keep her job at NCIS"she HAD to avenge her dead brother.

She sat down in her car and thought for a moment. She had an idea, but it was late. She pulled out her phone and decided to make the call anyway.

After several rings, a tired voice answered the phone. “Hi Uncle Phil,” Vivian said sweetly. “It’s Vivvy. I was wondering if we could have breakfast in the morning? Around 0800? Sounds great….ooh yeah I like that place! Ok, it’s a date! Go back to sleep.”

Vivian hung up the phone, smiled to herself, and drove home.

xxx

“You want me to do what?!” Abby asked, shocked.

“You are going to rewrite Tony’s file for him Abby. I’m going to double check it to make sure I approve of everything you put in. Consider this part of your punishment.”

“But…but that’s against like, every protocol in every book ever, Gibbs!”

Gibbs raised an eyebrow and didn’t say anything.

“But then again…since when do we really care about following the rules,” Abby muttered to herself.

“Oh and Abs?”

“Yes Gibbs?”

“You have to read what is there in order to know what to take out.”

“But I thought you said…”

“Abby everyone is so interested in reading Tony’s file that they are sneaking back into the office at night to read it. Tony caught Vivian studying his file, here, this evening, and taking notes on it. Then she turned right around and used the information she had against him. She dredged up memories that he just didn’t need to deal with right now. And I know you have wanted to read Tony’s file. So go ahead. And as you’re reading it, I want you to take out the juicy details. His partner has proven that this information is a weakness of his and can be used against him.” He leaned in close to the Goth girl sitting at the computer. “You wanted to read the file too Abby. Now you’re getting your wish.”

Tony began mumbling and stirring slightly. Ducky put a hand on the boy’s shoulder, but it didn’t help. A moment later, Tony sat straight up on the couch, shaking and pale, terrified at whatever he’d remembered just then. Gibbs moved over to him and sat down facing him on the couch.

“Shhhh Tony I got you it’s ok now, son…”

Tony leaned over on Gibbs’ shoulder, hands covering his face. Gibbs wrapped his arms around him, ran a hand up and down his back and whispered to him that it was going to be alright.

“It-it was terrible, D-dad,” Tony sobbed against Gibbs’ chest.

Abby couldn’t tear her gaze away from the scene before her, but she drew back just slightly, completely surprised by what she’d heard.

Gibbs was Tony’s dad?

They had different last names. They didn’t look anything alike. That must mean…

Abby clicked on one of the photos and gasped at the image she saw. It was Tony; you could see part of his face in the picture. His back was covered in…burns? Cuts? She squinted at the picture trying to understand the injuries. They were nightmarish. She deleted the picture and clicked on the next one. Deep bruises around the boy’s neck where someone had tried to garrote him. Delete. The next picture made her nearly vomit"and she was a forensic specialist!"she deleted it quickly"along with all of the others.

Tony had been abused…no question about that…but it still didn’t explain why Tony called Gibbs ‘dad’ and why Gibbs called Tony ‘son’.

She looked back at Gibbs and Tony on the couch. Gibbs had his chin on the top of Tony’s head, rocking him gently, whispering to him that things were going to be alright and that everything was going to be better soon.

Finally Tony sat up and looked around the room. His eyes widened when he saw Abby sitting at Morrow’s desk, watching them while she worked on the computer.

“A-Abby…what are you doing here?”

Abby took a deep breath. “Gibbs asked me to come,” she said quietly. “We’re rewriting your AFIS profile, Tony.”

“Rewriting my profile…but…?”

“Anthony it will keep things like what happened tonight from happening in the future. Especially if your profile was to end up in the wrong hands, my dear boy,” Ducky said gently.

“Boss do you trust Abby to do it,” Tony asked Gibbs. Abby nearly said something to Tony, but quickly realized she hadn’t given him any reason to trust her at all. If she were in his position, she would question that decision as well.

Gibbs looked at Abby and nodded once. “I do Tony. She knows the consequences of what would happen if she goes down the same road Vivian took.”

Tony looked at Abby. “I know Gibbs trusts you. Can I trust you, Abby?”

Abby stood up and walked over. She knelt in front of the couch at Tony’s knees and rested her arms crossed across his legs. She looked up at him. “Tony when I was looking up your profile…I was really just being nosey. Gibbs had rain-checked me on lunch and he never does that, so I didn’t understand what made you so special that he would do that to me for you. I was jealous. But Tony…please believe me,” she was shocked when her own voice cracked, “what Vivian did to you…Tony it was horrible, and I could never be that mean to anyone"not even someone I don’t like. I want to get to know you better Tony"I think I was wrong about you. I…that is if you’re interested…I’d like to go out sometime.”

“Hey!” Gibbs called. “No dating! Rule number 12.”

“No Gibbs! I don’t want to date Tony,” Abby said quickly then bit back a giggle at the look of shock on Tony’s face, “sorry Tony. But I want to get to know you better"I want to know who Tony is, and Gibbs was right"I should do that by asking you questions and talking to you, not by spying on you and digging up a government profile on you.”

Tony nodded. “I’d like that,” he whispered. “Please Abby just please promise me…don’t tell anyone about my file or my family or what happened to me, okay?”

There was a hint of desperation in Tony’s voice that she found almost endearing.

“You have my word,” Abby promised. She looked from Tony to Gibbs and back to Tony. “Your secrets are safe with me.”

xxx

The next morning, Tony cautiously entered the forensic lab, balancing a super-large drink, a coffee, and a back of breakfast burritos. He was surprised to find the music was off for a change.

The team had stayed at the office all night, sans Blackadder. They’d worked on Tony’s file until the early morning hours, not even stopping when Morrow stopped by to tell them that he had fired Vivian. Tony smiled when he saw Abby asleep with her head on her keyboard. Then he winced just a bit"that was going to leave a mark.

“Abby,” he said softly.

Abby didn’t wake up. Tony sighed. Here we go again.

“Abby!”

Nothing. Not even a twitch.

Moving carefully so as not to spill everything, Tony managed to get the drinks to sit successfully on the desk, far enough from Abby that when she jumped like he figured she would, she wouldn’t knock the drinks over. Then he thought better of waking her up. Abby had literally stayed up all night long. She was probably exhausted.

He left her breakfast burrito and Caf-Pow on the desk and quickly scribbled a note. He smiled at the sleeping lab-tech as he got back on the elevator.

“Thanks Abs,” he whispered as the doors slid shut.

Upstairs, Morrow was in the bullpen talking with Gibbs. Tony saw the look on his dad’s face and nearly got back on the elevator. He didn’t recall too many times when he’d seen his dad look that angry. He set Gibbs’ coffee on his desk and slid around to his own desk where he turned on his computer, munching on a burrito while it booted up.

Gibbs shook his head. “Unacceptable.”

“I’m sorry Jethro,” Tom said.

“How did we not know this?”

Tom shook his head. “Honestly? I have no idea. Unless she edited her profile…”

“She doesn’t have clearance to do that, does she?”

“No, but her uncle, Phillip Davenport, does.”

Tony couldn’t hold back any longer. “Who’s uncle?”

Gibbs raised one eyebrow and smirked at Tony. “Blackadder’s uncle got her reinstated Tony.”

“She still works here?”

“And on your team,” Morrow added.

Tony blinked. “Seriously? After everything she did…I-I don’t understand…”

“It’s easy DiNozzo,” Vivian Blackadder snarked as she walked across the bullpen. “You just have to be in good with the Secretary of the Navy, that’s all.”

“You’re in good with the SecNav,” Tony couldn’t believe that.

“Of course I am. I’m Uncle Phil’s favorite niece,” Vivian smiled sweetly. “When I told him what had happened, he was more than eager to call up Director Morrow here and get me my old job back. After all, I was merely following orders. Isn’t that right, Agent Gibbs?”

Morrow stepped right up to Vivian. “You listen to me, Blackadder. Your job may have been reinstated, but I made it very clear to your uncle exactly what you had done and said to DiNozzo, and exactly what Gibbs’ orders to you were. He stood by his decision, but he’s also allowed me to put you on employment probation. One screw up"and I mean ONE"you’re gone. We clear?”

Blackadder’s eyes narrowed in annoyance. “Clear, sir,” she snapped.

“Agent Gibbs and Agent DiNozzo will be watching you.”

“Agent DiNozzo? Why him? He’s just a Probie!”

“Actually, he is the Senior Field Agent. He’s your boss, Blackadder. He could have had you fired already, but he’s opted not to up until this point. You should be thanking him, instead of harassing him. He could have had you fired a week and a half ago based on what he told Gibbs and me.”

“But…But I’ve been here longer! I should be the Senior Field Agent! How can he just waltz in here and"”

“Because he’s got nearly ten years of law enforcement experience on top of a bachelor’s degree in criminal justice.”

Gibbs’ phone rang. A moment later he hung it up. “Gear up, that’s the call we’ve been waiting for on the Singer case. Come on. Blackadder, gas the truck. DiNozzo, with me.”

“On your six Boss,” Tony said, grabbing his backpack and following Gibbs. Vivian collected her things, and tried, really tried, not to roll her eyes. Maybe she’d have been better off fired.

TBC…
End Notes:
Angst warning
Chapter 8 by WCUGirl
Grounded In Truth
Chapter 8
by WCUGirl

Two Days Later…

Gibbs was in position. He spoke softly into the com-link on his wrist and made sure Tony and Vivian were in place as well. It had been two days since the blow up in the bullpen, and in that time, Tony and Vivian barely spoke to each other. Tony was friendly and nice as always, but he didn’t go out of his way to speak to Vivian.

“Sitrep Tony,” Gibbs said softly.

“In position, Boss. Waiting for your mark.”

“Blackadder?”

“Ready when you are.”

Gibbs set the plan into motion by getting out of the truck. He stepped over to Mohammed’s men and began speaking to them in the Spanish he’d heard them use moments before. They were talking about the order, the things coming in and going out and Gibbs asked them if they did any deals that weren’t reported. After all, he was interested in buying some guns. He was curious to see if these traders knew of anyone who sold guns.

The men smiled. Yes, yes they did know someone who could sell him some guns. One of the guys moved out of Gibbs’ line of sight and Jethro noticed that Tony shifted his position to keep an eye on the one Gibbs could not see.

“Who’s your friend,” the trader asked, eyeing Tony suspiciously.

“He works for me. He’s a little slow,” Gibbs replied with a smirk, tapping one finger to his temple. Tony fought down the indignant look and stayed in character.

The trader smiled. “We have some slow ones working for us. But lucky, they are more than made up for by the ones of us who can think on our feet.”

Gibbs smiled. “I like that. Being able to think on your feet will keep you alive.”

There was a rustle behind the trader and then Mohammed stepped out of the galley of the boat behind the trader and joined the two men on the doc. They spoke for a few minutes, Mohammed taking an instant liking to Gibbs. Gibbs explained his employee, Anthony, to the dealers, saying that he’d had the boy working for him since he was very young, and he could most definitely be trusted. He probably doesn’t even understand what we’re talking about.

Mohammed stepped right up to Tony and patted him gently on the cheeks. “You are good boy, Anthony,” Mohammed said, taking a step back. That was when he saw it. There was a woman, standing across the street by the truck parked there"Gibbs’ truck"and she was staring right at him.

“Who is the woman,” Mohammed asked Gibbs.

Gibbs turned and saw Blackadder staring at the arms dealer who had killed her brother. Stop staring Blackadder, Gibbs thought to himself, you’re going to blow the cover and ruin the op if he gets suspicious.

“I don’t know her,” Gibbs replied smoothly to the dealer, shrugging his shoulders. He turned his gaze on Blackadder, his back to Mohammed. The look was easy to read, STAND. DOWN.

Blackadder continued to stare at the man who had killed her brother. She remembered getting the phone call, remembered then seeing the police reports of what the man had done to her beloved Marcus. Images of her brother haunted her, and she took a step towards all of them.

“You son of a bitch,” she whispered, one hand automatically moving towards her gun. “You son of a bitch; I will kill you,” she couldn’t stop staring at this man.

Needless to say, that was the moment the op went straight to hell, and months of work went down the toilet.

Mohammed made a jump back on to the boat, moving to get away and Gibbs went after him. Tony was jumped from behind by two guys twice his size and suddenly he had a fight on his hands. A couple of guys moved toward Blackadder and she drew down on them, her gaze and gun hand steady. At the last second she turned her aim toward Mohammed. She pointed the gun and just as she fired someone slammed into her.

Furious, she looked up, ready to shoot whoever had gotten in her way. There was Tony, lying on the ground where he’d tackled her.

“You dumb shit what the hell is wrong with you,” Blackadder hissed. “I’m one of the good guys,” she continued.

“I’m not convinced you’re doing a good job of judging the situation Blackadder,” Tony snapped, pulling himself to his feet. He saw Gibbs on the boat, chasing right behind Mohammed.

“It’s not your job to determine that, DiNozzo,” Blackadder snapped raising her gun again. Tony stepped in front of her.

“If you kill anyone right now, you’re going to be reported to IA for use of excessive force. No one is struggling,” Tony growled.

His back was to the explosion that suddenly pushed him to his knees and threw Blackadder to the ground. He thankfully, didn’t see that it had knocked Gibbs fully off the ladder he’d been climbing, or he might have found himself acting like Vivian"ready to shoot anything breathing. Tony blinked, trying to clear his vision and peered through the smoke and the falling debris, and saw only the charred and jagged remains of Mohammed’s boat.

Oh God, Tony thought to himself, Dad was on the boat. Where’s Dad? Got to find Dad…

Tony began moving towards the edge of the dock. The guys working with Mohammed were ready to fight again, as their leader had just blown up and they were feeling a bit angry. Tony was dragged into the melee and despite his best efforts, eventually found himself being held on his knees, arms twisted up behind him, and a gun pointed at his forehead. He glanced around and saw Blackadder standing there, staring at the boat, and cleared his throat.

She looked at him. “What do you want me to do,” she snapped. “I’m being held at gunpoint too!” Tony couldn’t see anyone on her with a gun, but he didn’t question it. He closed his eyes and waited for the shot to ring out.

The shot did ring out, but it didn’t hit Tony. Instead the man with the gun went down, single gunshot wound to the forehead. All of Mohammed’s men turned around to see where the shot originated from. Tony couldn’t see him, but he knew then that Gibbs was at least alive. No one else was close, and Gibbs was the only one he knew, besides himself of course, who could have made a shot like that.

It all went pretty quickly after that. The rest of Mohammed’s men didn’t put up much of a struggle. They were taken into custody and secured before anyone spoke to each other. Finally, as the arms dealers were being driven away by the Rota NCIS agents, Gibbs turned to look at his team. Tony had some cuts and bruises, but looked alright other than being pissed. Blackadder…she didn’t have a mark on her.

Vivian didn’t make eye contact with her other two teammates. She’d screwed the pooch on this one. She, Gibbs and Burley had spent months getting this information together. Tony had stepped in and only added to what they had, making the case air tight and the mission an easy one. She’d blown it. Her brother wouldn’t be avenged because his killer had taken the coward’s way out and blown himself up. This a huge blunder. Finally, she looked up at Gibbs.

“What the hell happened, Blackadder,” Gibbs barked. He was pissed that she’d nearly gotten him and Tony killed.

“I-I don’t know Gibbs…I just froze up…I-I’m sorry, this is all my fault.”

“Damn right it’s your fault, Blackadder. You nearly got all of us killed! You were supposed to have our sixes!”

Gibbs stormed off, too angry to even form anymore words. He pulled out his phone and called up the base. After securing them a military flight home, he called Tom.

“Morrow,” Tom’s voice sounded distant over the phone and the miles.

“Tom it’s Gibbs. The op failed. We didn’t get Mohammed, but we got most of the accomplices.”

“What happened to Mohammed?”

“He triggered an explosion on his boat and died in the explosion.”

“Have you confirmed this?”

Gibbs looked at the medical examiners wheeling Mohammed’s charred body from the dock. “They are pulling the remains of one body off the dock now. Autopsy will determine for sure whether or not it’s Mohammed. We’d only counted six operatives. We have four of them in custody. One if confirmed dead and we believe Mohammed is dead also.”

“What the hell happened, Jethro? This op was supposed to be non-violent.”

“Well once they nearly blew me up and held a gun to Tony’s head, excuse me, but the op went violent without our consent.”

“Where was Blackadder?”

“She’s the one who triggered their suspicion and caused them to turn tail and run. She blew our cover, because she couldn’t stop watching Mohammed.”

“What was her big concern with Mohammed?”

“I found out just this morning doing some research that she is the sister of a deceased petty officer in the Navy. He was believed to have been working under the table with Mohammed, but once he got scared and tried to back out of whatever deal he was involved in, Mohammed and his men had him killed.”

“Vivian was working a revenge op,” Morrow concluded.

“Well if she was trying to get Mohammed to kill himself, then she succeeded. If she wanted him in custody, she screwed the pooch big time. I say she screwed the pooch anyway because all our months of work in bringing this arms ring down just went down the shitter, and she nearly got two agents killed in the process.”

“Bring them home, Gibbs. We’ll figure out what to do with her once you get back.”

“I’ll have her job if I have a say in it,” Gibbs said.

“We’ll discuss our options when you return. For now just focus on coming home and making sure everyone is alright.”

Blackadder’s eyes were wide as she listened to Gibbs’ half of the conversation with Morrow. No wonder he’d changed the layout of the op this morning at the last minute. She’d initially be assigned to a key role in the op, but this morning Tony’s role had been reassigned to take on more of the responsibilities she had initially assumed. Now she knew why. Gibbs knew the truth about her. He knew why she’d been so passionate about this op, and why it was so important to her. She could kick herself. She should have known Gibbs would figure it out. He was no idiot, that’s for sure.

It sounded like she was in big trouble though. She didn’t think her uncle would bail her out twice, not in the same week, and not over something as monumental as this.

Tony stepped to her side and clapped her heartily on the back. “Don’t worry,” he snarked, “I still like you.”

xxx

Twelve hours later, their military transport landed in Quantico and Tony breathed a sigh of relief. His body ached in places he didn’t realize could ache, and his left eye was swollen nearly shut. He figured it was a brilliant shade of either purple or black, based on how it was feeling.

The ride back to headquarters was silent. Gibbs drove like a maniac, as usual, and Tony gripped the oh-shit bar over the door and tried to keep his revolting stomach under control for the ride. Vivian sat in the back and stared out the window. Her brother was dead. His killer was dead, but not by her hands. She’d completely screwed the op. She should have shot the bastard when she had the chance.

Gibbs pulled into the Navy Yard and parked the car. Tony got out and moved to the nearest bush, throwing up what had barely passed earlier as food. Gibbs clapped him on the back as he walked past. “C’mon DiNozzo. Quit tossing your cookies, we have work to do.”

Tony staggered to his feet and followed Gibbs. Blackadder made a bee-line for the Forensic Lab. She needed to talk to her friend. She needed to talk to someone who would be supportive.

Down in the lab the music was blaring. Abby was hard at work on god-knows-what, and didn’t notice when Vivian arrived. Vivian turned off the music and flopped down on a stool. When the music stopped, Abby turned around.

“Oh. Vivian. Hey.”

“Abs you got a minute?”

“Actually I am kind of busy, running all of these samples. Did you need something?”

“I just needed someone to talk to for a minute.”

Abby stopped and looked at her friend. “Are you ok?”

“The op went bad.”

“What happened?”

“I kind of blew our cover.”

“What happened?! Is Gibbs ok?! Is Tony ok?!”

“They’re both fine and so am I, thanks for asking,” Vivian snarked.

“Well sorry, but they’re my friends and I don’t like it when my friends are in danger like that,” Abby retorted.

“Wait, when did you and DiNozzo bond and become BFFs,” Vivian asked.

“We aren’t BFFs but we are coworkers and we’re getting to know each other. You know he’s really not all that bad. I think we were wrong about him, Viv.” Abby turned back to her sample.

“Yeah well if you’d seen all the shit about him I’ve seen you wouldn’t think he’s ‘not all that bad.’ The guy is a complete kook! He used to let his mother"”

Abby swung around on her, one finger pointed right into Vivian’s face. “Don’t. Don’t finish that sentence.”

“What? You afraid Gibbs is going to write you up again? Come on Abs, the guy loves you, thinks you’re the best thing since coffee and would never fire you.”

“No I know Gibbs would fire me. I also know what is in Tony’s file Vivian. I read through it the other night because Gibbs made me after what you did. Did you happen to notice the fact that all of that stuff that happened to Tony, happened mostly before he was twelve years old? Did you even consider the fact that he didn’t choose any of that"that he’d been molested and abused since before he could walk? NO! So until you’re willing to look at the facts like a human being and quit acting like some kind of macho queen of the world who thinks she knows what is best for everyone, I suggest you keep your mouth shut when it comes to Tony! I will report you to Gibbs! We clear?”

Vivian blinked, completely shocked. “You’re in love with him,” she said in disbelief.

“No! I am most definitely NOT in love with DiNozzo. I told you Blackadder, we’re just getting to know each other. I’m doing what Gibbs told me to do"get to know the new guy on the team the right way"by talking to him and asking questions. It makes a difference. You should try it.”

Vivian shook her head. “Listen to yourself, Abs! You’re talking out of two sides of your mouth here! Just what, three days ago, you couldn’t even stand the guy? Now you’re barking up my tree to defend him? What gives? We’ve been friends a long time!”

“Obviously that is because I had no idea what sort of person you really were,” Abby snapped. “Now if you don’t need anything, Ms. Blackadder, I suggest you get out of my lab before I have you removed.”

“You’re as big of a drama queen as DiNozzo is, Abby. Go ahead, turn your back on your friends. But mark my words, first time you need something, who are you going to have to turn to? Make sure someone’s got your six because it certainly will not be me.”

Vivian turned and stormed out of the lab, doors sliding shut behind her. Abby screamed in frustration and threw a glass beaker at the nearest wall. She was so angry, that she didn’t hear the doors slide open again.

“Abby?”

She whipped around, ready to kill whoever was behind her. She hates being snuck up on! Her hand connected with his face before she realized who it was, and Tony grunted in pain and staggered back, one hand covering his now bleeding nose.

“TONY! Ohmygod I’m so sorry! Ohhh…oh Jesus you’re bleeding, oh shit, ok come here, let me help you. I’m so sorry but you have got to quit sneaking up on me like that!”

“Mmk Abs,” Tony grunted as she pressed an ice pack to his face. “Whatever y’say…ow…”

“It’ll stop bleeding in just a second. Just hold that there. Oh I am so sorry! Does it hurt very bad?”

“No worse than any of the other knocks I took in the last couple of days,” Tony said, wincing as he pressed the ice more firmly against his face. They were quiet for a moment. Finally Tony spoke. “Did you mean it?”

“Did I mean what,” Abby asked as she turned back to her sample. Major Mass Spec was getting lots of business these days.

“What you said to Blackadder,” Tony said softly. He didn’t meet Abby’s gaze.

She grimaced and fidgeted nervously with her fingers. “You heard that conversation, huh?”

Tony nodded. “Unintentionally, but yes, I heard most of it.”

“Yeah Tony. I meant every word I said. She has no right to treat you that way.”

Tony smiled slightly, then winced as he reopened the lip that had split in the fight with Mohammed’s men. “Thanks Abby.”

She smiled slightly. “Call me Abs. All my friends do.”

TBC…
End Notes:
Some violence, but not really too graphic
Chapter 9 by WCUGirl
Grounded In Truth
Chapter 9
by WCUGirl

Gibbs stormed into the bullpen and threw his bag down on the chair and set his coffee cup down firmly on the desk. Without a word, he turned and stormed up the stairs to the director’s office. Cynthia was sitting at her desk and she nodded, granting him access as he strode past her without even acknowledging her.

Director Morrow was waiting for Jethro when he entered the office. “I’ve spoken with the SecNav,” he said without preamble. “We have the go ahead to do whatever we see fit with her. He personally assured me he would back our decision 100%. While he could excuse some interoffice ramblings, he cannot excuse the loss of an op that cost a considerable amount of taxpayer’s money, as well as threatened our national security.

Gibbs sat down in the chair across from the director’s desk. He squeezed the bridge of his nose and closed his eyes. God he was tired. He knew that his whole team just needed to go home and get some sleep.

“I say we get rid of her,” Gibbs said. He was honestly tired of dealing with her attitude, and her behavior in the last week was absolutely inexcusable. “If we don’t get rid of her, I think she should be moved out of active cases. She doesn’t need to be in the field. She’s too much of a liability. She nearly cost me my son,” Gibbs continued. “She nearly got Tony and me both killed.”

Morrow folded his hands and leaned over his desk. “Tell me exactly what happened, Jethro,” he said.

xxx

It was nearly dark when the team had arrived back at headquarters, and it was well into the evening when they were finally released. Paperwork had been completed, reports had been written, and all that was left was three days off and time to rest. Tony patted his dad on the shoulder as he walked past him towards the elevator.

“Hey Tony? What’s your plan for the evening,” Gibbs asked.

“Gonna go home and try to sleep,” Tony said.

“You know you can call if you need me,” Gibbs said. “If you want to come to my house you’re more than welcome.”

“I know. I appreciate it.” He gave his dad a soft smile and stepped into the elevator.

xxx

Tony tossed. He turned. He laid on his back. That hurt, so he turned onto his side. That hurt too, so he turned to his stomach. Ah blessed comfort…which immediately kicked his brain into operation and then he was wide awake again.

For two hours, Tony tried his very best to sleep. But his mind was awash with images that just wouldn’t stop. Memories of his parents. Questions about Blackadder. Thinking back over the op and all the things that went wrong there. Tony sighed and looked at the clock. Eleven thirty. Great. He didn’t want to go back to work"he’d finally just been allowed to leave! He also didn’t want to go to his dad’s because he knew his dad was exhausted and if Tony showed up it would only make him worry.

Tony rolled out of bed and pulled on some jeans and a button down shirt. He slid his feet into his brown leather flip flops and grabbed his cell phone and his car keys. He didn’t know where he was heading, but he knew that DC nightlife had plenty of things to entertain him until he was tired enough to finally sleep.

xxx

The club was hopping. Synjades had everything in it anybody could ever want in a club, and then more. There was music, there was drinking, smoking, drugs, some bondage action in the back for those into that scene…for Tony it equaled escape"he could go here and be anonymous. No one here knew he was a federal agent, and no one here needed to know that. He could find someone to have casual sex with, dance with, drink with, or just enjoy the people watching by himself. He ordered a vodka tonic and turned to look at the crowd.

It was hard to be sure with the blinking strobe lights and the twinkle from the disco ball, but Tony thought he saw Abby out on the dancefloor. He watched for another minute, and then once he was sure it was her, he turned back to the bar, ordered a bloody mary. He paid and thanked the bartender then took the two drinks out onto the dancefloor. He walked up to Abby facing her, so he was sure not to sneak up on her. She smiled and waved.

Tony held out the drink to her. “Got you a bloody mary,” he called over the music. “You just don’t seem like a sweet drink kind of girl.”

Abby nodded. “I love bloody marys,” she called back. “Let’s go sit.”

They moved off the dancefloor to a nearby table and sat down. “Figured you’d be in bed after the week you’ve had,” Abby commented.

“Tried to be. Want to be,” Tony replied sipping his drink. “Couldn’t sleep. Too worked up I guess.”

“Wait til the adrenaline crashes out,” Abby said. “You’ll sleep like a baby then.”

Tony nodded. “Problem is, in a job like this, it’s hard to have enough down time to get the adrenaline to wear off.”

Abby nodded in agreement. “I don’t know how you guys do it,” she said. “I mean I stay in my lab and just run the stuff you guys bring back to me. I get all keyed up looking at the evidence"I can’t imagine what it must be like to work the crime scene and have to photograph it and sketch it and all that. How do you ever sleep?”

Tony laughed. “As I’m proving here tonight, I don’t.”

“Gibbs is the same way,” Abby commented.

Tony raised an eyebrow. “That so?”

She nodded. “He never sleeps either. Always working on the boat.”

Tony tried not to roll his eyes. The boat. He knew that his dad was a skilled woodworker, and had been doing it for many years. But he’d never really considered why that was. The more Tony thought about it, the more he realized, it was probably his therapy. Tony knew it had been his therapy more than a few times. A lot of frustrations could be worked out sanding with the grain of the wood.

“Did Gibbs ever tell you how he gets the boat out of the basement?”

Tony shook his head. “It’s like the best kept secret ever. I’ve looked all over that basement for a secret door or something. I mean there has to be some way he gets them out! He’s built more than one I know.”

“Can I ask you a question?”

“Sure. Don’t promise to answer, but you can ask me anything you’d like.”

“The other night in the director’s office…when you woke up from your nightmare. I heard you call Gibbs ‘Dad.’ But your last names are different, you don’t look anything alike, which takes away some of the likelihood that you’re actually related. But Gibbs called you ‘Son’ too.”

Tony smiled. “So what’s the question?”

“Are you Gibbs’ son?”

“Yes.”

“Bio?”

“No.”

“Story?”

Tony frowned at his empty drink. “You saw the pictures, Abby,” he said quietly. “Do the math.”

Yes, Abby had seen the pictures. She’d done that much of the math. Now she wanted the full story. “This calls for more alcoholic refreshment,” she stated, collecting their two glasses and heading for the bar. “Don’t go away, mister,” she called to him. He smiled and waved, settling back in his seat.

A few minutes later when Abby hadn’t returned, Tony grew a bit uneasy. Where had she gone? He gave it another couple of minutes then decided to head to the bar to see if she was there. He flagged down the bartender when he didn’t see any sign of Abby.

“She went out the back with some guys I’ve never seen before,” the bartender told Tony. “I see Abs in here all the time, but I hadn’t seen these jokers before. They looked like trouble though. If I could leave my post here at the bar, I’d go check on her.”

Tony got the bartender to tell him what the guys looked like and had him point out which door they’d gone out. “If you don’t see me back here with Abs in five minutes, call this number,” Tony said, handing the bartender a business card with Gibbs’ name and phone number on it. “Tell him that Tony and Abby are in trouble and give him the address to the bar.”

“Yeah, ok no problem,” the bartender said, tucking the card away on the bar where he would see it, but not where anyone could knock it off. Tony thanked the guy and headed out the door.

Out back in the alley, Tony quickly saw that three guys had Abby backed up against the wall. They were leering at her and making grabs at her. One of them leaned in like he was going to kiss her and she slapped him across the face. The guy recoiled for a moment then slapped her face hard.

Tony was on the guy in seconds. Tony pulled the guy off of Abby and slammed him up against the brick wall he’d backed Abby up against only moments before.

“The lady said no; I heard her say it. In this world, no means no, asshole,” Tony said. “I suggest you cowboys head on out, have a good night and listen to the ladies when they turn you down.”

One of the guy’s friends grabbed Tony from behind by his arms and dragged him back. Tony fought and struggled against the guy, but he was strong, he was bigger than Tony and he was mad"a deadly combination. Abby kneed the other guy in the balls and dove into her purse going after her cell phone.

After a ring and a half, Gibbs’ voice answered. “Gibbsgibbsgibbs! We need your help,” Abby exclaimed into the phone as she watched two of the guys hit Tony repeatedly, while the other one still held his arms pinned behind him, further down the alley.

“What’s going on Abby? Who are you with?”

“Me and Tony! I went to this club, and Tony was here, and now he’s getting beat up because he was protecting me and Gibbs you have to hurry! They’re hurting him!”

“I’m on my way Abby, tell me where you are,” Gibbs said calmly, though his gut was screaming and his temper was flaring.

“We’re at the corner of East and Oak Streets,” Abby said, “Out back behind a club called Synjades.”

Through the phone, Abby could hear Gibbs’ tires squealing and she breathed a silent sigh of relief because that sound meant Gibbs was on his way, and it meant he was hurrying. She glanced back at Tony, still being hit over and over again, but now he was hanging limply against the guy holding him up by the arms. They were still hitting him.

“Is Tony where I can talk to him?”

“No Gibbs, they’re hurting him! They’re holding him and they’re still hitting him! See this is all my fault because it’s Friday night and I always go to the clubs on Friday night. Anyway I ran into Tony and we were talking and then I wanted to get us some more drinks and stuff so I went to the bar and while I was up there these guys started talking to me and flirting and it was all really great. I thought they were really nice guys so I didn’t protest too loud when they grabbed my arm and shoved me out the back door. I thought they just wanted to have a little bit of fun. Then they started touching me and trying to kiss me and they backed me up against the wall and started grabbing at me, and Gibbs it was terrible, but then Tony came out and he yelled at them to leave me alone"which was good because one of them had smacked me right across the face"and then the guys dropped me and jumped Tony and that’s why I’m calling you because Tony needs you and I can’t help him!”

“Breathe Abby. I’m almost there. Take a look, best you can, is Tony conscious? Can you tell?”

“He’s limp, Gibbs. He’s not fighting at all. Do you think he’s alright?”

“I dunno Abs, we’ll have to see. I’m parking out front now. I’m coming, just hold on.”

Moments later, Abby’s two favorite words echoed through the dark alley. “FEDERAL AGENT!”

The men beating Tony stopped and dropped him. Tony crumbled to the ground in a heap and groaned softly. The guy who’d been holding Tony gave him a sharp kick in the ribs.

Gibbs had his gun drawn and stood calmly in front of the attackers. Without moving his gaze from them, he told Abby to call the Metro Police.

“Should I call an ambulance,” she asked.

“Let me take a look at him first, see how bad off he is,” Gibbs said. Then to the attackers he said, “turn around and face that brick wall right there with your hands on your head.” Once they turned, Gibbs cuffed each of them and then locked them to the dumpster. Satisfied that they were no longer posing a threat, Gibbs turned his attention to Tony. Abby was still on the phone with the Metro PD.

Gibbs knelt next to Tony and gently rolled him to his back while carefully supporting his head and neck.

“Tony, can ya hear me? DiNozzo, you with me?”

Tony groaned and his eyelids fluttered. Gibbs slapped lightly at his face. “C’mon Tony. C’mon snap out of it. Can you hear me? Tony?”

Tony’s eyes slid open and then immediately rolled back in his head. Gibbs shook his shoulder a bit. “C’mon stay with me Tony. Wake up now.”

This time Tony’s eyes slid open and stayed open. He blinked a couple of times and then Gibbs saw his eyes finally focus on him.

“You with me?”

“Mmmh,” Tony assented. “Happened?”

“These idiots beat you up.” Gibbs held up one finger. “How many fingers, Tony?”

Tony glared at the offending finger, squinting a bit trying to get his eyes to focus. “J-just one,” he whispered.

“Good, that’s good Tony. Tell me, who’s the president?”

Before he could answer, Abby was by their sides. “Gibbs Metro is on the way. Do I need to call an ambulance for Tony?”

“I don’t think so Abs; I think he’s alright. What do you say, Tony? You need to go to the hospital?”

Tony managed to shake his head. “No,” he whispered, “no hospital.”

“Ok then, let’s get you up,” Gibbs tucked his hands under Tony’s arms and hauled them both up. Tony’s head swam dizzily and he groaned again and pressed his eyes closed against the nausea that threatened to overwhelm him as the adrenaline rush wore off. “Easy, easy I got ya. Take it easy, Tony,” Gibbs said.

Tony blearily looked around him and saw Abby standing close by, looking awful. She had a bruise already forming on her cheek where those bastards had hit her, and her eyes were filled with tears.

“Abs?”

“Tony are you really alright,” Abby whispered.

“I’m gonna be fine Abs. No hospital needed. Just some aspirin and a bed.”

“I thought bed was where you were heading anyway,” Gibbs commented mildly.

“It was…but I couldn’t sleep. I knew you needed some sleep, so I figured I’d entertain myself for the evening. Abs and I were having a good time til these three idiots tried to ruin our evening. Christ my head hurts,” Tony whispered to himself as an afterthought.

“Both of you, with me, c’mon let’s get in the car. I’m taking you back to my place and tomorrow I’ll take you to get your cars. C’mon.”

“But Gibbs I"”

“No arguing Abby. Let’s go, come on.”

Tony, helped by Gibbs and Abby, slowly made their way toward Gibbs’ car.

xxx

Monday morning found Abby back in her lab bright and early. She was surprised to find Vivian in the lab waiting for her when she arrived.

“Heard you had an eventful weekend,” she said. “You shoulda called me; I woulda gone to the club with you. Saved you the trouble of going with DiNozzo.”

“I didn’t go WITH DiNozzo, and we had a nice time…well that is until I got picked up by these really rotten guys who beat Tony up when he tried to protect me. Then we called Gibbs to come help us and Tony was really out of it, and we spent the whole weekend at Gibbs’ house.”

“You both spent the whole weekend at Gibbs’ house? By choice. Are you crazy,” Vivian shook her head in disgust. “I’d have rather spent the weekend in Leavenworth without my gun,” she boldly stated.

Blackadder’s cell phone rang and she snatched it from her belt before reading the name on the caller ID.

“Blackadder,” she snapped. “Oh uh, yes sir, Director. I’ll be right up.”

She hung up the phone and looked at Abby. “I have to go. The director wants to see me,” she said softly, her guts twisting into knots wondering what Director Morrow might want with her on a Monday morning at 0700. It was early yet for Gibbs and Tony to have arrived"they didn’t normally arrive until close to nine.

“See ya,” Abby called after her. She smirked once the door to the elevator closed. “But not anytime soon,” she said softly, turning back to her samples.

xxx

Over the weekend Gibbs explained to both Abby and Tony what would be happening to Vivian. He’d answered their questions"Abby had more than Tony"and assured both of them that their jobs were safe. Tony was uncertain because he’d gotten into such a big fight in the middle of a ‘nonviolent op’"a part of him was scared he might get into some big trouble for his behavior.

“You were reacting Tony. That’s all it was. The nonviolent op became a defensive op when Blackadder blew our cover.”

Gibbs had recalled Tony’s words to Blackadder as they were preparing to leave Rota. “Don’t worry, I still like you” he’d said. Gibbs asked Tony about that statement and Tony had responded after a few moments, running a hand through his hair.

“I dunno boss. I mean I know she has caused a lot of trouble, and I know she lost her focus on this case, but I think deep down she has good intentions. I don’t dislike her"I hate the choices she makes, but I really don’t dislike her.”

Gibbs, who really hadn’t ever liked her at all, if he was honest, was totally baffled by this.

xxx

Gibbs and Tony were both in the bullpen when Vivian stepped off the elevator. Vivian bit back a gasp at Tony’s appearance. If she thought he’d looked bad leaving out of Rota, that was nothing compared to now. His face was mottled with bruises and there were places where the skin had been split from the blows. Jesus he looked terrible. Abby had said that Tony had gotten beaten up when he was protecting her, but she’d honestly just figured a black eye or a bloody nose"this was Abby telling the story after all. She was sometimes known to exaggerate. But this…Abby hadn’t been exaggerating anything.

“Tony,” Vivian said quietly, “are you alright?”

“Oh so now you wanna be concerned,” Tony quipped.

Vivian backed up a half step, surprising herself. “I didn’t mean anything. It just looks like"”

“It just looks like my father and I went three rounds,” Tony ground out. “You know all about that, right? You read it in my file"you saw the pictures. I’m fine, Ms. Blackadder,” Tony snapped.

Vivian blinked. It seems as though the events of last week had finally caught up with her. Tony obviously didn’t feel well still, and judging from the look of him, she thought he might seriously keel over at any moment.

“I didn’t mean anything, I was just noticing that your face has more bruises on it than it did last week when you left,” she said.

Tony rolled his eyes. “Please. Spare me the sympathy.”

Gibbs took over there. “Blackadder I believe the director is looking for you. Quit wasting our time and go see what he wants.”

Vivian stepped up the stairs to the director’s office. Cynthia waved her in and she knocked on the door. She opened the door and peered inside. Gibbs was suddenly right behind her and she almost jumped in shock. Tony was there as well. She opened the door fully and stepped inside, gasping in shock when she saw who else was sitting there.

“Uncle Phil?”

The director stepped forward and gestured toward a chair. “Have a seat Ms. Blackadder.”

TBC…
End Notes:
Little bit of violence, little bit of angst.
Chapter 10--Final by WCUGirl
Grounded In Truth
Chapter 10
by WCUGirl

Vivian stepped forward. She tried desperately to hide the reluctance in her steps, but with her uncle there it was hard to not feel like a petulant school child being sent to the principal’s office.

“Have a seat, Ms. Blackadder,” Director Morrow said, indicating the chair in which he wanted her to sit. Vivian was no fool. She was told to sit. She sat.

“Now, because I am a director of an investigative agency, I would like to have the full account of what happened in Rota last week from your perspective.”

“Haven’t you already heard about Rota from Gibbs and DiNozzo?”

The director bristled. “I have. But you see, their jobs aren’t the ones on the line here. Yours is. I would like to hear from you, in your own words, just what in the hell happened to blow that op last week. I am not here to pick sides. I am here to understand what happened and make the decision that is best suited for the agency.”

“For the agency? Is that what this is all about? Looking out for the agency? Does no one ever consider the agents who work in the agency?”

The director smiled. “Of course I do, my dear. That’s why I’m giving you the opportunity to explain what happened"to give your account of the events"before I make a final decision about your job.”

“Oh please! You think you’re being all smart trying to get me to tell you my side of the story so that you can feel better about how you handled it when you fire me! I have no comment, Director.”

“That’s enough attitude young lady,” the SecNav said. “This is ultimately my decision. If you’re going to act like a twelve year old, we can arrange to have you treated like you are twelve.”

“I am not acting like I am twelve,” Vivian exclaimed. “I just don’t understand why it is I’m being expected to sit here and recount a series of events that two other agents have already recounted. You’ve already made your decision"you already know what you want to do,” at this she looked at Gibbs and Tony. “You’ve made your choice,” she said flatly.

Director Morrow leaned back in his chair and stroked a hand thoughtfully over his chin. He looked at Gibbs, at Tony, at the SecNav, and finally at Vivian Blackadder.

“You know,” he said, “I hadn’t made a decision at all,” he stated. “But you are leaving me without many options. I think you should know though, before you pass too harsh a judgment, that Agent DiNozzo has actually requested that you be allowed to keep your position.”

“What?! Why would DiNozzo want me to keep my job? I’ve treated him like shit since the day he walked in.” She mentally cursed herself. When you’re sitting in a disciplinary meeting such as this it is not wise to give them more reasons to inflict discipline on you. But what was this bullshit about Tony arguing in her favor? As if DiNozzo would do anything for her after what she’d done?

“I don’t know how you expect me to believe that DiNozzo would do anything for me,” she continued.

“That has honestly surprised all of us. Agent Gibbs even suggested he get a psych eval after stating that he didn’t believe you should be fired.”

DiNozzo laughed. He turned to Gibbs, “You wouldn’t really make me do that, would ya, Boss?” Gibbs narrowed his eyes. “That’s not funny, Boss,” Tony said, “not funny at all.”

“Ms. Blackadder, after discussing the events in Rota with Agents Gibbs and DiNozzo, Agent DiNozzo pointed out that you show exemplary skills at record keeping and notes management. He suggested that we put those skills to good use in one of the branch offices. Somewhere that wouldn’t be anywhere near Washington DC.”

Vivian stopped. “Wait, could I choose where to move?”

“Certainly,” the director said. “You may choose between Tulsa, Oklahoma or Reykjavík, Iceland. Oh and Rota, Spain. There is a position in records in Rota as well.”

“But if I’m working in records and notes management…you’re basically telling me I won’t be an investigator anymore.”

“That is exactly what I am telling you. That is also assuming I don’t decide to terminate your employment with us. You’ve proven time and again that you are inconsistent with your actions and your follow through. You have not demonstrated the ability to work successfully on a team, and you have endangered your teammates on more than one occasion. Add to the fact that you were accessing another agent’s profile without consent or permission, taking notes on it to, what was it you told me, sell it to the highest bidder…But, no Ms. Blackadder. You haven’t demonstrated to me at all that you need to be anywhere near active caseloads.”

“You can’t do this to me! You can’t make me give up my whole life like this!”

“Why not? It’s no less than what you forced Agent DiNozzo to do?”

“What are you talking about? I didn’t force Agent DiNozzo to do anything?!”

“Sure ya did, Viv,” Gibbs said. “You made him deny his past and who he was and assume the profile of someone entirely different from who he actually is, just so he could make it through a day’s work without being harassed.”

“What are you talking about?”

“I am talking about this,” Morrow said, clicking enter on the profile log-in page. He pulled up Tony’s new profile. Same names, same faces, different details in the storyline. Tony was the son of a senior vice president in an overseas Italian banking firm. He was raised by servants because his father spent so much time abroad and his mother was chronically ill. He was a brilliant student, wanted to play pro football, but was knocked out of that after a knee injury in his senior year of college. He pursued a career in law enforcement earning a bachelor’s degree in Criminal Justice and completing Police Academy six months after graduating from Ohio State University.”

The director smiled at Vivian. “So you see. You can sell that information to the highest bidder, but you have nothing to back it up. The information you gathered"your trump card"your winning hand, as you put it, are worthless. You have no bargaining chip here. Agent DiNozzo actually argued in your favor"asking me specifically to not fire you, just to not make him work with you anymore. I disagree. You’re intelligent Blackadder, but you abuse those skills. So we’re going to have to ask you to leave.”

Vivian blinked. She’d been played!

“But I thought I could choose between Oklahoma, Iceland and Spain?”

“No, I’m sorry. Initially it was a consideration, but after seeing your lack of remorse for your actions, I’m afraid I’m going to have to withdraw that offer.”

Vivian thought for a moment. Then an idea dawned on her. She could always go work at the FBI, she reasoned to herself.

“Well we’ll just have to see what happens when I go to the FBI office, won’t we? I’m sure they’d be glad to have a wonderful investigator such as myself.”

Gibbs smiled and Vivian almost backed down immediately. Gibbs never smiled. Why was Gibbs smiling? Then Gibbs spoke and his words concerned her. “Oh definitely. Go right over to the FBI. And by all means, Ms. Blackadder, please have them call me for a reference.”

Shit. Shit, shit, shit. That wasn’t going to be good. They were going to look at her work record and they were going to need to talk to her former supervisor"Gibbs.

“You can’t say anything except whether or not I would be eligible for rehire.”

“I can’t say anything on the record except whether or not you would be eligible for rehire. No one has any control over what may come out of my mouth when I go out for drinks with my friend Tobias Fornell.”

Vivian blinked. Suddenly Vivian had a terrible feeling she wouldn’t get any job in DC with Gibbs doing the references.

Tony spoke up. “Boss I think you should let me do her job references"after all, as Senior Field Agent, I was technically her direct supervisor before you.”

Vivian’s eyes widened. If there was anything worse than Gibbs doing the references it would be DiNozzo. She had no doubt he would rip her to shreds. She turned to the director.

“Can they do that? Seriously?! I’ll never find another job in law enforcement anywhere!”

The director smiled coldly and opened the door. “Cynthia, process the termination for Ms. Blackadder please. She is in a hurry to begin her new job search.”

“Of course, Director Morrow,” came Cynthia’s voice from the lobby.

The director turned to the agents in the office and the SecNav. “Alright then. If everyone is satisfied by the decisions that have been made here, I’ll have someone from security come escort Ms. Blackadder to get her things. Agents Gibbs and DiNozzo, it’s going to be a two man team until you can find someone else. Secretary Davenport, thank you for being here, sir. I wish the circumstances were better.”

The SecNav turned to his beloved niece. He looked at her sadly for moment, then his face contorted into a grimace. “Your behavior disgusts me. Next time you call me for a favor, please make sure you deserve it first.”

“But Uncle Phil, I…”

“No more,” Davenport said, shaking his head. “I can’t even look at you. You disgrace our family.”

“I only did this because my brother"”

“Your brother died in the line of duty serving his country just like he’d signed up and been assigned to do. He died an honorable death and you have tarnished that by your selfish actions. You should be ashamed of yourself. I know he’d be ashamed of you.”

That being said, the SecNav nodded at Gibbs and Tony and left the office, shaking hands with the director on his way out.

Gibbs clapped Tony on the shoulder and Tony moaned softly when it hurt. “C’mon partner,” Gibbs said sympathetically, “let’s go find you an ice pack.”

Tony smiled. “On it boss.”

Vivian left the NCIS office a while later, box of possessions in hand. She still wondered what it was about Gibbs and DiNozzo’s relationship that she was missing. It was almost as if they were father and son. But there was no way that was possible.

xxx

Abby laughed when Gibbs told her and Ducky that Vivian was fired. Ducky shook his head. “You know, she’s quite bright really,” he said. “Too bad her choices didn’t reflect that.”

Gibbs had invited the team over for dinner that following weekend. Tony was in charge of mixing the drinks, Gibbs was manning the grill and Abby and Ducky took care of making sure everything else was ready on time. Gibbs begged them not to let Tony near the kitchen.

“If he doesn’t cut his hand off, the food won’t be edible, trust me. That’s unless he’s cooking Italian"then he gets the kitchen all to himself and the creation is well worth the mess he makes,” Gibbs said much to everyone’s amusement. Tony rolled his eyes good-naturedly.

It wasn’t the first time Gibbs, Ducky and Tony had grilled out together, but it was the first time Abby had seen them all together outside of work. She sat back and observed Gibbs and Tony in a relaxed setting together. They were like a well-oiled machine, instinctively knowing the other on a level Abby wished for with her own parents back in Louisiana.

Tony was shocked at this kind of quiet, introspective version of Abby he was seeing. At work she was bubbly and warm, music pounding out a beat as she produced brilliant pieces of information from what seemed to be nothing at all. She was a sweet person; he just wished he could have known that all along. He watched her smile when Gibbs kissed her on the cheek and she teased Ducky, “Duck-Man” good-naturedly and he teased her back"behavior Tony wasn’t used to seeing from the proper old Scot.

The meal was delicious, the steaks were cooked to perfection, the drinks were mixed flawlessly. Towards the end of the evening, Abby raised her glass. She looked thoughtfully at each of her friends"some old and some new and she smiled.

“I’d like to make a toast. This team…well it’s more than a team. It’s friends, it’s coworkers, but most importantly,” she looked at each man in the eyes before she continued, “most importantly it’s family,” she said. “To the Gibblets!” Everyone laughed at the title Abby had given them"but no one contradicted.

“Here, here!” The glasses clinked and the drinks were sipped. Indeed they were becoming a family.

xxx

Across town, Vivian Blackadder sat in her apartment. It was Saturday night. She had no plans, but then, she had no friends to have plans with. She’d been literally laughed out of the FBI office when she showed up wanting to talk to Tobias Fornell about a job. She’d visited lots of the other alphabet agencies in the past few days too, all of them rejecting her as soon as they learned her name. It seemed the power of Gibbs’ reputation preceded him, and where his reputation hadn’t been, Director Morrow’s was.

She was friendless. She was jobless. She would be forced to leave DC after all.

She sighed and sipped the tall glass of scotch she held. She truly believed she had done the right thing"both concerning her brother, his killer and Tony DiNozzo. She considered the smug look on Gibbs’ face when the director told her she was fired. She considered the iron grip DiNozzo had on her arm after she’d been caught looking up his profile. She thought about the way Abby had snubbed her after she heard what had happened in Spain.

Maybe in the new life she would have to make for herself, she’d practice being nicer to people. She took another sip of her drink and snorted softly to herself.

Then again, maybe not.

End.
End Notes:
Thanks to everyone reading!
This story archived at http://www.ncisfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=4203