The Half Life of Love by WCUGirl
Summary: Tony and Gibbs get an unexpected surprise and quickly follow it with an unexpected tragedy
Categories: Gibbs/DiNozzo Characters: Donald Mallard, Anthony DiNozzo, Abby Sciuto, Jenny Shephard, Kate Todd, Leroy Jethro Gibbs, Timothy McGee
Genre: Hurt/Comfort, Friendship, Romance
Pairing: Gibbs/DiNozzo
Warnings: Violence, Mpreg, Dark story, Homophobia, Disturbing imaginery, Death story
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 14 Completed: Yes Word count: 31485 Read: 197344 Published: 09/22/2011 Updated: 11/16/2011
Story Notes:
WARNINGS!!!! Mpreg��"Tony, Death of child, Violence, Depression, Suicidal Thoughts, Angst, Hurt/Comfort, OOC-ness, use of medical terminology, discussion of medical procedures…and just about anything else you can think of (but I think I covered all the major scary ones!)!!

This is an AU world and Mpreg is not a fine science. Please forgive any and all mistakes, medical and otherwise. I am not a doctor nor am I a woodworker. I am not apologizing for any OOC behavior, but it is there.

Think Season 3--Jenny's the director and Kate never died (it's AU after all!)

No flames please. Don't like it, don't read it.

1. The Little White Stick by WCUGirl

2. Acceptance and Challenges by WCUGirl

3. Big Scare by WCUGirl

4. An Unexpected Visitor by WCUGirl

5. No Good News by WCUGirl

6. Reaction by WCUGirl

7. The Most Loved Child In The World by WCUGirl

8. Tesora Angelina DiNozzo-Gibbs by WCUGirl

9. Putting One Foot In Front Of The Other by WCUGirl

10. Retribution by WCUGirl

11. Choices To Be Made by WCUGirl

12. I'll Never Leave You by WCUGirl

13. Dear Mr. DiNozzo by WCUGirl

14. Epilogue: Jack's 3rd Birthday by WCUGirl

The Little White Stick by WCUGirl
Author's Notes:
Tony and Gibbs get an unexpected surprise and quickly follow it with an unexpected tragedy
The Half Life of Love
by WCUGirl

Chapter 1: The Little White Stick

Once he thought about it, Tony realized there would be no way to determine which sexual encounter had led them to this moment. There was no question at all about the father’s identity; it was more a question of which night he and the father had created this…this miracle? Tony supposed that’s how he should think of it; yet he was willing to admit he was more than a tiny bit concerned, and was not looking forward to sharing the “happy” news with his baby’s daddy.

Tony had been in the hospital after he was attacked by a suspect during apprehension several months back, and during the full range of tests the ER doctor had insisted on performing it had been uncovered that Tony was one of the fairly rare men who could conceive and carry a baby. He’d been up front about it with Jethro Gibbs, his boss and lover, citing early on that if Jethro couldn’t handle that about Tony, he’d understand. Gibbs, however, couldn’t be more accepting. He’d simply smiled and told Tony that he’d known all along he was a special guy. It certainly hadn’t hindered their lovemaking in the slightest, Tony mused with a chuckle.

But that was months ago. They didn’t talk about the possibility of Tony becoming pregnant--Tony’d had sex with plenty of people and it had never come up before. Because of that he and Gibbs had seen no reason to change their pattern of unprotected sex within their strictly monogamous relationship. Now though…Tony was sitting in the floor in a stall in the men’s room in the corner deli…knees pulled up tightly to his chest, staring in horror at the little white stick with the little pink plus. He ran a slightly shaking hand through his hair…he hoped this wouldn’t change things too much.

Tony saved the Pregnancy Test, dropping it into an unused evidence bag and putting it in his backpack. He returned to the office after “finishing his lunch” and went straight to his desk and began to work. Gibbs immediately noticed something was off.

“DiNozzo, with me,” he called, striding toward the elevator. Tony took a deep breath. He had to play this off long enough for them to get home. Even though it seemed as though the elevator was their private sanctuary within their public workspace, it wasn’t where Tony wanted to tell Jethro the news of their first child. He let out a sigh and followed Gibbs into the elevator. He watched the doors close and felt the elevator begin moving. It had barely had time to leave the floor when Gibbs hit the emergency stop button, bringing the elevator to a halt mid-floor.

“What’s up Tony?”

Tony eyed him warily. “Up? Um…well boss let’s see, from where we’re at the bullpen’s up, the ceiling is up, the roof is up, the--”

A light smack to the back of his head stopped his word vomit.

“Sorry Jet,” Tony apologized. “Nothin’s wrong, I’m guessing lunch just didn’t sit well with me today or something,” he hedged.

Gibbs eyed him carefully. He could tell his lover was lying, but figured there was a reason.

“Not buying it,” he stated.

Tony met his gaze, then quickly dropped it. He could never lie to this man. “Look, there is something. But I really don’t want to talk about it at work. Could we just…can we talk about it later, Jet?”

Gibbs gave him a short nod. “My house. 1830. I’ll get dinner.”

Though the two had been in a relationship for months, they’d been tiptoeing around the idea of moving in together. Tony nodded his head in agreement. Gibbs hit the button and started the elevator moving again. It made it about two feet before he grunted and stopped it again.

“You’re ok, though, right? We’re ok?”

Tony looked at Gibb’s feet. “I hope so,” he whispered. Gibbs’ eyes narrowed, but he didn’t say anything. He restarted the elevator and the two returned to their desks, both knowing that neither would accomplish anything until they’d talked.

They spent the afternoon working on cold cases. Tony snarked half-heartedly with Kate, teasing her about the guy she was dating and rolled his eyes good naturedly when Kate shot a look between him and Gibbs wagging her eyebrows saucily.

“Unless you want to share details too DiNozzo, I’m not playing.”

Tony shut up after that. Though the team knew about his relationship with Gibbs, it didn’t mean they felt it necessary to throw it in everyone’s faces. Even the director had been graciously accepting of the two men and their relationship, despite her history with Gibbs.

A little bit later, Tony nearly blanched when he saw Kate flipping idly through a pregnancy magazine at her desk. He resisted the urge to look in his bag and check that his little secret was still tucked away, and unconsciously pressed a hand to his abdomen.

“Katie,” he said sweetly, “there something you wanna tell us?”

Kate shot him a dark look. “These magazines are not just for people expecting babies, Tony,” she snapped. “There are also good articles in here for women who might want to get pregnant one day. I might want to have a baby one day.”

Tony tried not to flinch at the emphasis on “women who want to get pregnant,” because he knew there would be no articles in that magazine for a guy who suddenly found himself pregnant.

“You want a baby one day?” he couldn’t help but ask; the thought honestly had never occurred to him before.

“Yes! And no, DiNozzo, I’m sorry, but you aren’t going to be allowed to help me get pregnant, nor are you going to be allowed to watch someone else get me pregnant. Besides, it’s not like anyone would want your genetics to make a baby with,” she snarked. This time Tony did flinch. He pushed back from the desk.

“Need the head,” he muttered, rushing out of the bullpen. Gibbs watched him go, then eyed his lover’s antagonist.

“Over the line, Kate,” he commented, “over the line.”

Tony returned to the bullpen a few minutes later, looking decidedly pale and slightly unkempt. Gibbs glanced at the clock. 1630.

“Alright. Go home, people,” Gibbs stated, switching off his computer and forwarding his calls. Kate was up and out the door before anyone could comment and Gibbs noticed Tony was obviously dragging his feet along; clearly not ready to leave the security of the office yet.

“Why don’t you just follow me home, Tony,” Gibbs suggested softly. Tony didn’t meet his lover’s gaze, silently nodding his consent instead. He grabbed his jacket, backpack and keys and without a word silently followed Gibbs out the door.

Gibbs ordered Chinese from the car on the way home to be delivered to his house. Tony stayed behind him in traffic, exactly three car lengths behind him. He pulled his car into the driveway beside Gibbs’ sedan and took a moment to get his thoughts together. When Gibbs knocked on his window, he gasped in surprise.

“Want to come inside?” Tony nodded, quickly gathering himself and his backpack and climbing out of the car. Once he was inside, he kept his backpack close by and Gibbs wondered what was going on. He led them to the living room and offered Tony the couch, joining him there when he sat down.

“Tony what’s bothering you?”

Tony stared at his lap. “I’m…Jet I’m not really sure how to tell you this,” he started.

“Just tell me Tony. Whatever it is, we’ll work it out. But you got to tell me.”

“Ok well you know how--” he was cut off by the doorbell. He looked at Gibbs in askance.

“Dinner,” Gibbs replied, answering the door. He quickly paid the boy and took the food. He closed the door back and joined Tony back on the couch. He handed a carton to Tony, who set it down on the coffee table.

“I’m pregnant,” he whispered, elbows on his knees, eyes on the floor.

Gibbs set his carton down next to Tony’s and put a hand on his back. “I’m not being snarky,” he said quietly, “but are you sure?” Rule number three. Don’t assume. Verify. Tony reached into his backpack and pulled out the evidence bag. He handed the little white stick to Gibbs.

“Took this one today at lunch.”

Gibbs eyed the little pink plus sign silently, a smile tugging at the corners of his mouth. Then he set it down on the table and turned to Tony.

“Look I can take off. I know it’s a lot to take in and we didn’t plan for this but…”

“You don’t need to leave Tony. I’m happy.”

Tony turned to him. “You’re…wait, did you just say you’re happy?”

Gibbs nodded. “How do you feel?”

Tony ran a hand through his hair. “Kinda scared mostly. Not sure I’ll be any good at being a parent…that’s assuming we decide to keep it and all and I--”

“Why wouldn’t we keep it Tony?”

Tony fussed nervously with his hands, still not looking at Gibbs. “I dunno Gibbs, I guess I kind of figured that after everything that happened before…I wasn’t sure you’d want this,” he said quietly.

Gibbs scooted closer and clasped Tony’s hands in his own. He studied Tony’s face carefully before he spoke. “Kate is an idiot,” his voice was so quiet he was nearly whispering. He moved his hands up to cup Tony’s face gently. He kissed him softly. “I’m in if you’re in,” Gibbs said quietly.

Tony nodded. “I’m in.” He ran a hand through his hair. “Man I have like a million things to do now. I have to find a bigger apartment, have to find a doctor, have to figure out how the hell this all works because I know I’ve sure as hell never--”

Gibbs pressed a kiss to his mouth, stopping his nervous rambling. He deepened the kiss for a moment before pulling back.

“Instead of finding a bigger apartment, why don’t you move in here? We’ve been together for months…we’ve talked about it…with our family growing…well I know I want to be around for every step of the way,” Gibbs said eagerly.

Tony looked at him. “Jet don’t feel like you need to have me move in so you can take care of me because I can take care of myself, and just because I’m having a baby is no reason for us to rush into something we might both regret later and I don’t think that later I’ll be able to handle--”

The headslap stopped him this time.

“You going to have doubts about us later? Because I’m not. I’m so in love with you Tony, it consumes me every minute of every day. Now I was going to ask you to move in anyway. I’m in this because I want to be with you. Don’t you think I’m enough of a bastard to leave this to be your situation to handle alone if I chose to?”

Tony nodded.

“Then you see I don’t want to. I want to be there with you for this. I want to watch your body change and I want to watch our baby grow and I want to go to the appointments with you and pick out nursery dressings together. I’m in this for us, Tony. I’m in this because I love you. I’m in this because I choose to be, and I give you my word that I will never choose not to be.”

Tony picked up his carton of Chinese food. “Well in that case, you and I have a million things to do…”

Gibbs shook his head and picked up his own carton, listening to Tony plot and plan through mouthfuls of Chinese noodles. Gibbs was so excited; he had his second chance. This time he’d do it right...he wouldn’t leave Tony alone like he’d left Shannon for all those months while he was deployed. This time he’d be there, and he would support his lover every step of the way.

TBC
End Notes:
WARNINGS!!!! Mpreg--"Tony, Death of child, Violence, Depression, Suicidal Thoughts, Angst, Hurt/Comfort, OOC-ness, use of medical terminology, discussion of medical procedures…and just about anything else you can think of (but I think I covered all the major scary ones!)!!

This is an AU world and Mpreg is not a fine science. Please forgive any and all mistakes, medical and otherwise. I am not a doctor nor am I a woodworker. I am not apologizing for any OOC behavior, but it is there.

Think Season 3--Jenny's the director and Kate never died (it's AU after all!)

No flames please. Don't like it, don't read it.
Acceptance and Challenges by WCUGirl
Chapter 2: Acceptance and Challenges

Three Months Pregnant…
Tony’s baby doctor told him that if he could make it through the first trimester without miscarrying, the rest of the pregnancy should go smoothly. As Tony picked himself up off his knees and flushed the toilet again, washing away the evidence of his getting sick, he wondered if this doctor knew what she was talking about. He stepped to the sink and rinsed out his mouth. He really hated throwing up.

The morning sickness (and if he wanted to be honest"it was all day sickness, not just morning sickness) usually started around three in the morning and would go on continuously anytime he ate something for the remainder of the day. He knew he’d lost weight"could see it in his reflection in the mirror. He wiped his face on a towel and leaned on the counter wearily. A hand on his shoulder startled him out of his reverie, and he couldn’t hide the smile as his lover pressed a can of ginger ale into his hand.

“Sip it,” Gibbs cautioned. They’d learned together that ginger ale did wonders for Tony’s poor unsettled stomach.

Tony sipped the icy cold, sweet drink and closed his eyes as he felt the pleasant burn of the carbonation as it trickled down his abused throat. He looked at the clock. 4:47a.m. This was nuts.

Gibbs took Tony by the elbow and began leading him back towards the bed. “C’mon babe you can lay back down for a little bit. At least another hour. Maybe you’ll start feeling better by then.”

Tony snorted. “Doubt that.” He groaned in pleasure as he laid down, Gibbs spooning up behind him, his head propped up on one hand, the other arm was draped around Tony’s middle, lightly caressing where they knew the baby was. “Feels good,” Tony murmured, half asleep. Gibbs smiled.

“Maybe you should go see Ducky later, Tony,” Gibbs said softly. “Maybe he can give you something to make the nausea not so bad.” Tony halfway nodded, agreeing silently. He’d give anything to make it a day without throwing up, that was for sure.

Five Months Pregnant…
“Come on Tony we’re going to be late,” Jethro hollered up the stairs to his lover. Tony came slowly down the stairs, an arm wrapped across his middle, another cradling his aching head. Tony hadn’t slept well the night before, had been up most of the night and early morning throwing up (still), and had finally dozed off along about the time the sun came up.

It was now ten-thirty in the morning, and their appointment with the doctor was set for 11:15. Gibbs was excited"today was the day they’d find out the sex of the child. It had been a point of long discussion for the two of them; they’d carefully weighed the pros and cons of finding out the sex of the child, and were leaning toward being surprised when a phone call from Abby changed their minds.

“You guys,” she exclaimed, “you can’t tell me you’re not going to find out whether your having a boy or a girl! You have to find out"it’s for the child’s own good! If I don’t know what to buy for…well I’ll be forced to buy the kid black everything!” Tony gasped in horror, Gibbs rolled his eyes and Abby laughed. “I mean having a Goth baby would be freakin awesome, don’t get me wrong, but you two just don’t seem like the type to really be…ya know down with having a Goth child. You have to find out"I swear I’ll buy only appropriate pinks or blues but pleeeeeeeeease don’t make me wait!”

Now was the time to find out. Abby was anxiously pacing her lab waiting for the phone call. Gibbs drove carefully (he tended to drive slower these days to take it easier on Tony’s revolting body) to the doctor’s office. Once they were checked in with the receptionist they settled into chairs to wait. They received some confused looks from others, some looks of disgust, and some looks of encouragement. Tony leaned his head against the wall and let out a long quiet breath. Gibbs turned his head and watched him. Tony looked absolutely exhausted. Gibbs wrapped his arm around Tony’s thinning shoulders (indeed everything about him was slimming down except for his growing belly) and pulled Tony over to lean against him.

“You sure,” Tony spoke low, questioning his lover’s actions.

“I have nothing to hide,” Gibbs replied, giving Tony a reassuring smile.

Tony nodded and relaxed, letting his eyes drift closed. They stayed like that for several minutes until they heard a quiet sound in front of them, and Tony opened his eyes to see he was face to face with a young girl who looked about as pregnant as Tony.

“I’m sorry,” she hedged, and Gibbs tensed slightly, tightening his grasp on Tony.

“Can I help you ma’am,” Tony turned on the charm full blast, but didn’t move from his spot.

“I’m sorry to bother you; I just wanted to tell you that I hope everything works out alright for you. I’ve read about men who can conceive children…it’s tricky for them to make it to full term according to the articles I’ve read.”

Tony nodded. “Hasn’t been easy, that’s for sure,” he replied, “I can only imagine what the next few months are going to be like.”

She nodded sympathetically. “I just wanted you to know that I think it’s a beautiful thing that you and your partner are doing,” she smiled at Gibbs when she said this, “and I hope that everything works out for you.”

Gibbs smiled and thanked her, while Tony nodded his thanks. She left the office, glancing back at them and smiling a couple of times. Tony’s smile quickly turned to a grimace. “I know she meant well…but Jesus Jethro I feel like a circus sideshow,” Tony muttered.

Gibbs pressed a kiss to his forehead. “You’re amazing,” he whispered. “I’m glad other people see it too.”

***
The doctor squirted the cold lube onto Tony’s stomach and he gasped at the sudden coolness on his skin. Gibbs sat nervously in the chair beside him"due to their work schedules he hadn’t been able to accompany Tony to any appointments yet, but there was nothing in the world that would keep him from this moment. He’d missed this chance with Shannon, had been in Lebanon when she found out that Kelly would be a girl…he vowed he wouldn’t miss it twice.

“Alright gentlemen,” Dr. Phillips said, “first you will hear the heartbeat. Once I find the baby we’ll cue it up on the screen, and then we will take a look at your baby. Do you want to know if it is a boy or a girl? It will affect what I point out to you.”

Tony and Jethro looked at each other. “We want to know,” Gibbs replied. The doctor smiled at him. He had an air of power about him, control and calm that wasn’t common in most fathers he saw.

“Alright gentlemen…here we go…”

A moment later the sound of the steady heartbeat filled the room. Tony smiled and then blinked in horror as he realized his eyes were filling with tears. He glanced at Jethro, embarrassed, only to see that his partner had tears in his eyes as well, and was also trying to blink them back. Gibbs squeezed Tony’s hand. A moment later the screen cued in on the baby growing inside of Tony.

Tony’s eyes were glued to the screen. He couldn’t believe it…this was his child"he was going to have a baby! He was going to get the chance to give a child a better life than he’d had…would have the chance to be everything he wished his father had been to him…a small sob released itself before Tony could stop it. The doctor held the scope steady and pointed at the screen.

“She’s sticking her tongue out at you boys. Congratulations…it’s a girl.”

Six Months Pregnant…
Tony groaned as he eased himself up off the couch. He unconsciously ran a hand over his growing belly, smiling softly when he felt the baby kick in response to his touch. As he made his way to the kitchen he could hear the sound of Gibbs sanding downstairs. Gibbs had been very secretive about whatever it was he was building lately. Tony suspected it was something for their baby girl. He decided to sneak down and see what Gibbs was working on.

He made it three steps down before Gibbs heard him. “It’s supposed to be a surprise, Tony,” he said, the amusement clear in his voice. Tony smiled back. “Then when you give it to me I’ll act really surprised. I just want a peek, Jet.” Gibbs came up the stairs and wrapped his arms around the man he loved. Six months of living together had only strengthened their bond. He pressed a sweet kiss to Tony’s lips.

“If you want a peek then you have to close your eyes.”

“How will I get down the stairs?”

“I’ll lead you. There’s ten stairs Tony. I won’t let you fall I promise. Close your eyes.”

Grinning, Tony closed his eyes and completely trusted Gibbs to lead him safely into the basement. Gibbs walked Tony right up to his workbench and lifted Tony’s hand putting it on his project.

“Ok Love. Open your eyes now,” Gibbs said softly, biting his lower lip in anticipation of what Tony would think.

Tony blinked his eyes open and gasped in surprise. Gibbs was building a baby cradle. Dark wood finish, butterflies carved into the sides…it was a beautiful piece of work and Tony was shocked at just how talented Gibbs really was when it came to working with wood. He turned to look at his partner.

“Do you like it Tony?”

Tony nodded eagerly. “Jet it’s perfect! It’s beautiful! Our baby will love it"it’s amazing…and the carvings are so detailed…Jet this is amazing, I…”

Tony suddenly swayed, his vision clouding momentarily and his ears ringing loudly. He must have looked terribly pale all of a sudden, because Gibbs was moving him over to the stairs, sitting him down on one, and cupping his face gently in his hands.

“Babe? You ok? You with me? Tony talk to me, are you ok? Do I need to call Ducky?”

Tony finally shook his head. “N-no…Jet I’m, I’m ok…just had that dizzy thing again…” he raised a shaking hand to his forehead and rubbed it.

“Your head hurting again, honey?”

“Mmhmm,” Tony grunted out, trying to get his eyes to focus.

“C’mon let’s get you upstairs where you can rest a bit…c’mon it’s alright, I got you.” Tony clung hard to Gibbs as they slowly made their way back up the stairs to the living room.

Tony’s pregnancy was turning out to be very complicated. Categorized as a high risk, simply because of the nature of the circumstances, the doctors were justifiably concerned about Tony’s health. He’d lost more weight than he’d gained from the baby, wasn’t sleeping soundly often enough or long enough, was still experiencing morning sickness even now, six months into the pregnancy, and Tony’s blood pressure was becoming more and more of a concern. Gibbs had been amazing through it all. He attended doctor visits with Tony, wiped his face when he was sick, cooked him bland foods that they hoped wouldn’t reappear later, fetched him ice cream when he craved it (Tony detested pistachio ice cream, but apparently his baby loved it)…did everything he could to be supportive and strong for his partner and their child. There was no doubt in Tony’s mind that he would have given up if it hadn’t been for Jethro.

Gibbs eased Tony down onto the couch. “Shh I got you, it’s going to be alright,” he said quietly. He sat down next to him and pulled Tony close. “Gonna be alright DiNozzos,” he whispered.

He hoped he wasn’t lying.

TBC
Big Scare by WCUGirl
Author’s Note: Angst Warning ahead…

Chapter 3: Big Scare

Two Weeks Later
Gibbs entered the house weighted down with grocery bags, to hear Tony speaking sharply on the phone with someone.

“No I don’t give a damn if you approve or don’t approve! This isn’t your decision to make! It’s my decision to make with my partner! You don’t get to tell me what to do! I don’t"” Tony’s words cut off abruptly as he was interrupted by whoever he was speaking with on the phone. Gibbs entered the room, a concerned look on his face. His eyebrows rose curiously when Tony’s face suddenly colored beet red. “MY CHILD IS NOT A FREAK YOU BASTARD,” he yelled into the phone before snapping it shut and throwing it on the counter, irritated.

“What was that all about,” Gibbs asked mildly.

Tony rolled his eyes. “My father found out his son is pregnant and was calling to congratulate us,” Tony replied sarcastically. He suddenly whimpered and doubled over as a cramp shot through his abdomen.

Gibbs was by his side in a minute. “Tony? C’mon let’s go sit down you need to calm down. Getting that mad isn’t good for you or the baby, Tony.” He helped Tony into the living room. Tony laid down on the couch, head in Jethro’s lap and looked up at him with watery eyes.

“He called our baby a freak, Jet,” Tony gasped, tears finally spilling over. Gibbs pulled him close, pressing a kiss to his forehead.

“Hey shhh…sok…our baby is perfect, you wait and see. Your father’s an ass Tony; he always has been. I love you, and I’m so proud of you. You and our child are the most perfect thing that has ever happened to us. I’m so excited; I can’t wait to meet our daughter! Don’t worry about your dad Tony; don’t let him make this anymore complicated than it is. You need to focus on taking care of you and taking care of the baby. If he calls back, don’t answer it. I’ll deal with him if I need to.”

Gibbs ran his fingers through Tony’s hair, watching with a smile as Tony’s eyes slid shut and he finally relaxed. “It’s going to be alright, Tony,” he said quietly.

Anymore, that seemed to be his mantra.

Seven Months Pregnant…
As sick as Tony was, he insisted that he was alright to continue working. Gibbs reluctantly agreed as long as Tony agreed to ride the desk and not go out in the field. For a couple of months that was how the team had operated. Gibbs’ team would get a case; everyone (including Tony) would bounce out of their chairs ready to go before Tony would sheepishly lower himself back into his seat. “Habit,” he’d say and they’d laugh. But it was no secret that Tony hated riding the desk and no secret that he felt like crap. He felt so badly in fact, that most days he didn’t even complain about the desk duty. It was all he felt like doing and if he were honest with himself, it was actually more than he felt like doing.

After one particularly bad night, Tony and Gibbs stumbled sleepily into the office and Tony immediately excused himself to the head. Gibbs was concerned, but Tony was sick so often anymore, that this didn’t seem out of the ordinary. When Tony didn’t come back after a few minutes though, Gibbs started to get worried, and just as he decided to go check on him and see if he needed help, his cell phone rang.

He frowned at the caller ID and answered the phone. “Tony?”

There was no response, so Gibbs rushed off to the men’s room. He expected to find Tony in one of the stalls, heaving up his breakfast. He did not expect to find him with his face planted into the floor tiles, crying and moaning in pain and grasping his growing belly, cell phone discarded beside him. Gibbs was on his knees in a heartbeat.

“Tony? Babe you with me? You ok?”

‘Stupid question, Marine,’ he growled in his head.

Tony moaned and grabbed Gibbs’ hand, “Something…wrong…baby…” he gasped, “need…need hospital…”

Gibbs’ gut screamed"if Tony was asking to go to the hospital, then it must be bad. He ran a hand over Tony’s hair as he pulled out his cell phone.

“Sok, sok shh…gonna be ok…yeah this is Special Agent Gibbs at NCIS. I have an agent down in the men’s room on the third floor. Pregnant male, 32 years old, having abdominal pain and he’s collapsed. Yeah he’s conscious…7 months…alright.”

He hung up the phone. He gently turned Tony over so he was lying on his side, and his head rested on Jethro’s lap.

“Gonna be alright now DiNozzos,” Gibbs’ voice was toned so quietly Tony wasn’t even sure he heard the words or that affectionate nickname he’d given him and the baby, as his fingers continued to stroke through Tony’s hair. Gibbs referred to him as a plural now whenever he used his surname to address him. Tony found it endearing if not outright cute.

“Help’s coming; you and Little Bit just hang on a few more minutes alright?”

Tony nodded, barely conscious.

“Love you…Jet,” Tony whispered, “don’t leave me, please…I’m sorry"” he was cut off by another contraction and he nearly screamed in pain.

“Hey calm down! Shhh it’s ok I’m not goin anywhere without you. I’m going to go with you to the hospital and I’ll stay with you the whole time, alright?”

“Yeah,” Tony whispered, “’s good.”

***
That Afternoon…
Gibbs had given up on trying not to pace the waiting room. Dr. Phillips had met them in the Emergency Room and they’d been whisked upstairs to the Pre/Post-Natal Ward and Gibbs had been politely kicked out of the room and exiled to the waiting room.

That had been hours ago. Finally Dr. Phillips came out.

“Good God can I see Tony now please?!” Patience was a distant memory, in its place was worry, fatigue, anxiety and more than a little anger at being so out of control.

“Mr. Gibbs have a seat I want to talk to you.”

Gibbs flopped himself into a chair, out of character for himself, normally he moved with the grace and determination of a good marine.

“I’m concerned about Mr. DiNozzo,” Dr. Phillips started. “He hasn’t been getting enough rest, I don’t think.”

“He can’t sleep"he’s up all night being sick! He takes naps everyday though, and really tries to take it easy. I’ve been worried about him for a while though; he’s so tired, and he keep getting so dizzy…”

“I’m glad we’re in agreement then. I think the best thing for him right now is rest.”

“You mean like bed rest?”

“I want to suggest something a little more extreme than bed rest. I want to put him to sleep"”

“Is it safe,” Gibbs interrupted, “I mean, it won’t hurt the baby will it? Won’t hurt Tony?”

“I want to sedate him. The medication we will use is entirely safe with pregnancies. While he’s asleep I want to also put him on a nasogastric tube.” At Gibbs’ blank look the doctor clarified, “it’s a feeding tube. I’m concerned that he’s lost so much weight. By using the feeding tube, we can give him some very nutritional formulas that will help him regain some weight.”

Gibbs felt kicked in the gut. He didn’t think Tony would go for this. He wasn’t sure he was going to go for it. “How long do you want to keep him out?”

The doctor sighed and rubbed a hand over the back of her neck. “I’m going to say a week to start. Now let me explain. With this particular form of sedation, it is possible for him to be awakened. There will even be points when he will wake up on his own. I am not putting him into a coma; I’m simply medicating him so that he can get some of the rest he needs so badly. The sedative is in a form that will help him find a natural sleep pattern and maintain it.”

“I want to discuss this with Tony before we decide anything.”

“I really think it would be for the best. I’m also writing him off work until after the baby is born. I know he wants to work, and I know he’s been on light duty for several months now, but I really think at this point his pregnancy is too complicated to continue in the manner we’re currently operating in. He needs some serious rest and nutrition. Mr. Gibbs you’ve done an excellent job of caring for your partner. He just needs a little extra help.”

“Will people be able to visit him while he’s here?”

“That is another thing I wanted to discuss with you. Mr. DiNozzo’s blood pressure is too high. It is not so high that it’s a danger at this point, however, with additional stress that could change at any time. I would like for you and your partner to construct a list of people who will not stress him out. During the time he is asleep, his body needs to remain as relaxed as possible. If there are people who you know stresses him, those people will not be permitted to visit during that time. Visitors will be restricted only to the names on the list you will give me.”

Gibbs ran a hand through his hair. “Can I go talk to Tony about all this?”

Dr. Phillips nodded. “Right this way.”

***
Tony looked much better than he did when Gibbs had seen him last. He was resting heavily against the pillows, and the head of the bed was angled up so he was mostly sitting up. He looked…comfortable, and Gibbs breathed a sigh of relief.

“Hey Jet,” Tony sighed in relief when he saw Gibbs finally. “They wouldn’t let you back here. I begged and begged for them to get you.”

Gibbs shot a dirty look at Dr. Phillips. “It would be in your best interests, doctor if you concur with my partner’s wishes in the future.”

Dr. Phillips looked uneasy for a moment then nodded. “I was merely trying to get Tony’s vitals under control, Mr. Gibbs,” she said snippily. “I have his best interests in mind.”

“If he says he wants me near, then I’m going to be here. That’s what is in his best interest. Clear?”

Her eyes narrowed. “Crystal,” she replied coldly. “I’ll leave you two to talk. You have many things to discuss.”

Gibbs shut the door behind her and leaned against it. He let out a long sigh and stared at Tony.

“How are you really? Are you alright?”

Tony nodded. “I’m ok,” he said. He looked apprehensive, “what do we need to ‘discuss?’”

“Doc wants to help you get some rest. She’s got some medication she wants to give you…it’ll help you stay asleep for longer, help your body get some of the rest it needs. She also wants to put you on naso-nasa-uh, a feeding tube through your nose, while you’re asleep to help you regain some weight.”

“So I’d have to stay here.”

Gibbs grimaced. He knew this would be a big deal for Tony who absolutely-under-no-circumstances-ever wanted to be in the hospital. Even when he’d had the plague last year he’d been fighting tooth and nail to get out as soon as he’d been able to breathe on his own again without coughing up a lung.

“You would have to stay here, yes,” he finally replied.

“But it would help the baby?”

Gibbs nodded. “She seems to think so. We could ask Ducky first if you’d like…”

“How long?”

“Would you be asleep?”

Tony nodded.

“A week to start. Maybe longer if she decides you need more rest.”

Tony’s eyes stared at the wall now. “I don’t want to be in a coma, Gibbs,” he said quietly.

Gibbs sat down on the edge of the bed. He knew Tony didn’t like not being able to watch his own six, even when incapacitated. He also knew that came from a childhood where he basically raised himself and took care of himself. Gibbs ran a hand through Tony’s hair.

“Not a coma, Tony. You’ll be able to wake up.”

Tony bit his lower lip and thought about it for a moment.

“Will you stay with me?”

“Babe you don’t even have to ask,” he said. “I promised you I’d be with you every step of the way. I meant that. I won’t leave you, not at all if you don’t want me to.”

Tony took a deep breath. “I have to do what’s best for the baby,” he finally said. Gibbs nodded. “Doc wants us to put together a list of people that you are okay with visiting you while you’re asleep. She said to make sure you leave off any people who stress you out or get you too excited.”

Tony leaned back against the pillows. Jesus this was hard! How could he pick and choose among his friends"how could he tell some they could come visit and others not? Gibbs picked up on his anxiety.

“Calm down, Tony,” he said softly, “I’ll help you. And I’ll be here, so that helps, right?” Tony nodded. “It’s going to be alright.”

***
That night Gibbs delivered the list to Dr. Phillips. “Abigail Sciuto, with supervision,” she read.

Gibbs nodded. “Abby’s amazing…but she’s also very hyperactive. Tony wants her to be able to come visit, but only if I’m there to supervise it and calm her down if need be. She’s his best friend though, we can’t keep her away.”

Dr. Phillips continued down the list of people, names and relationships to Tony and Gibbs. “Dr. Donald Mallard…Timothy McGee…Jenny Sheppard…Kate Todd…Jackson Gibbs…Mr. Gibbs I don’t see anyone listed here as Tony’s family.”

“They’re all listed there"we’re not blood related to anyone except Jackson is my father, but other than that we’ve all adopted each other I guess you can say. No one in Tony’s biological family is welcome right now. They all cause too much stress and pain for him. I’m certain he’d miscarry if any of them showed up.”

Dr. Phillips raised an eyebrow but didn’t say anything. “Is Mr. DiNozzo ready?”

Gibbs nodded. “One other thing before you do this…”

She stopped and turned and looked at him. “Yes?”

“I’m not leaving his room.”

“Well during visiting hours you’ll be allowed to stay as long as you want, but when visiting hours are over"”

“When visiting hours are over I’ll be sleeping on the couch in the room. I’m not leaving him. It’s that or we don’t do this. Tony’s words, not mine.”

She narrowed her eyes at him again. “We’ll see.”

TBC
End Notes:
Warning: Angst Ahead!
An Unexpected Visitor by WCUGirl
Chapter 4: An Unexpected Visitor

“Are you ready for me to administer the medication now Mr. DiNozzo?”

Tony looked from the doctor to Gibbs and back again. “Did you tell her, Jethro,” he asked tiredly.

Gibbs nodded. “I told her. I’m not leaving. You make me leave and Tony’s going with me,” he promised the doctor.

Dr. Phillips nodded. She didn’t agree with it, but she knew these two well enough to know they weren’t kidding. She had no doubts that Mr. Gibbs would carry an unconscious Mr. DiNozzo out of the hospital if she tried to make him leave. Maybe it was just as well though. They seemed to be good for each other"Mr. DiNozzo certainly did a lot better physically when he was close to Mr. Gibbs than he did when he wasn’t around him"this morning had proven that.

“Alright Mr. DiNozzo…I’m going to start you on the bag of medication. It will take probably 15 or 20 minutes to really begin making you drowsy. Tomorrow while you’re asleep we’ll insert the nasogastric feeding tube. Sound good?”

Tony took a deep breath and steeled himself. He had to take care of the baby. He nodded. “Good to go, Doc.” She hooked the bag up and he watched as the fluid started dripping toward his vein. He looked at Gibbs.

“Jet,” he said quietly as Dr. Phillips left them alone.

“Right here Tony,” Gibbs sat on the edge of Tony’s bed and pulled his hand into his lap. “You’re gonna be alright. I got your six, Tony.”

The two sat in the stillness for a few minutes, not really saying anything, when Tony started blinking heavily.

“Jet,” he said again, even quieter this time, but Gibbs heard the apprehension and fear in his voice.

“You’re alright Tony, it’s the meds…you’re just getting sleepy is all…just rest Love…just relax…”

“Will…hold me…please…?” Tony slurred, his eyes already starting to drift shut.

Gibbs crawled up in the bed with Tony. Tony rolled to his side and planted his head on Gibbs’ shoulder. “Love you,” he whispered, eyes finally closing and remaining so.

“I love you too Tony,” Gibbs whispered, fingers tracing through his hair, “I love you so much.”

***
Three Days Later…
It was going like clockwork. Tony was able to come up out of the sedation for a few minutes each day. Mostly, though, he remained asleep. He didn’t dream, he didn’t really even move around much. The insertion of the nasogastric tube had been painless, not even drawing a flinch from Tony. Already his color was improving and he seemed to be faring the pregnancy much better. Gibbs was relieved that his partner was finally getting some rest, and had finally stopped throwing up.

Everyone on the visitor list had dropped by at least one time to visit Tony, after checking in at the nurses’ desk. Gibbs spoke with Director Sheppard when she came to visit and he explained to her that Tony was out of work until after the baby was born. She nodded her head, understanding.

“I want to take off as much time as I can to be with Tony,” Gibbs told her.

Sheppard nodded her head without hesitation. “He’s going to need help,” she agreed. “You certainly have enough leave saved up. I think you could take almost a year off without any problem,” she’d said with a laugh. “Take as much time as you need Jethro,” she said seriously. “You two are my two best agents. Do what you need to do.”

It was Saturday afternoon; Tony had been asleep for three days and Gibbs was thankful there had been no mishaps. No one not listed on the visitor list had showed up, there had been no drama, there had been no fireworks. Everything was calm and peaceful"exactly what Tony needed.

Which was probably why Gibbs’ gut was churning.

Dr. Phillips checked on Tony regularly and was very pleased with the progress he was making. “Mr. Gibbs would you step with me down to the nurse’s desk for a moment,” she said. “I want to discuss our next steps with you, and I think it would be better if we don’t disturb Tony’s rest,” she said.

Gibbs looked at his sleeping lover. He looked so much healthier now. “Only for a couple of minutes,” he said. “I promised him I’d stay. If he wakes up and I’m not in here…I’ll be in deep shit,” he said with a grin. He followed the doctor out of the room and down the hall.

It was the first time in seventeen years he ignored his gut.

***
Dr. Phillips expressed over and over again how pleased she was with Tony’s progress. She and Gibbs talked about taking Tony off the sedative after the allotted week and monitoring him for a few days. “It’ll give him a chance to see his loved ones too and talk with them. Then if we decide we need to let him sleep some more we can do that,” she explained. Gibbs agreed.

Five minutes after he left he walked back into the room that was completely different from the way he’d left it.

***
The overhead fluorescent lights were on; when he left they hadn’t been. Gibbs’ gut lit up and he rushed into the room. In a million years he’d never expected to see Tony’s father standing over Tony’s bed. He’d never expected to see Tony’s eyes open wide in fear, trying to gasp or yell for help, but still too drugged to accomplish it. He’d never expected to see Tony’s father hitting him…over and over…ruthlessly…in the stomach…right on the baby…

Tony was groaning, his hands were trying to bat away the assault, but his movements were slow and sluggish. Gibbs sprang into action.

“YOU SONOFABITCH WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING HERE?!?! WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING TO TONY?!?! GET OFF OF HIM YOU BASTARD!!! HE’S PREGNANT!!!”

Several security guards heard the ruckus and entered the room in time to see Tony’s father land one last punch on the startled incapacitated man, and quickly restrained and escorted him out of the room. The doctor came rushing in, her eyes wide with shock.

“Ohmygod,” she whispered, “I can’t believe this happened…”

Gibbs flipped around on her, rage full blown. “How the hell did that sonofabitch get in here?! He wasn’t on the fucking list!! We made sure NOT to include Tony’s father on the goddamn list for this very reason!! What the fuck just happened?!”

Her eyes lowered and Gibbs thought for a moment that he just might kill him a doctor.

“I added his name to the list,” she whispered, lifting a shaking hand to cover her mouth. Gibbs eyes widened in shock and his jaw dropped just slightly. “He told me he was concerned, that he missed his son, wanted to be a part of the baby’s life…I thought…I thought maybe you all were overreacting…I…I’m sorry…”

Gibbs’ eyes darkened, but before he could say anything Tony moaned softly in pain and Gibbs immediately turned back to him. “Hey Tony, you with me? You’re gonna be alright,” he spoke quietly to him, fingers through his hair, “gonna be ok,” he said. Tony’s eyes were wide with shock and pain and he clung desperately to Gibbs’ fingers; he was still heavily under the influence of the medication, trying desperately to stay awake and understand what had happened. Gibbs schooled his expression and made sure to stay in Tony’s line of sight.

Dr. Phillips made a move to examine Tony. Gibbs blocked her. “I suggest you find him another doctor. And I suggest you do it quickly. You’re off Tony’s case.” Without another word he turned back to Tony, and Dr. Phillips slipped out the door, quite certain that her career had just ended.

There was a quiet knock on the door a couple of minutes later. Gibbs barely looked up to acknowledge the new presence in the room; all of his attention was on Tony, wiping the sweat from his forehead and the tears from his cheeks. He did a double take when he saw who had come in the room.

“Now how did I know that eventually I would see the two of you in here again?” Brad Pitt smiled at the pair. “Though I didn’t expect it to be under these…conditions.”

“Pitt can you help him? Please somebody needs to help him! His father was here…hitting him in the stomach…I got him off Tony but I think I was too late…I think Tony’s hurt bad…”

Gibbs turned back to Tony; his lover’s face was almost gray with pain lines running deep around his eyes and mouth. Brad put a soothing hand on Gibbs’ shoulder.

“I specialize in male-pregnancy as well as pulmonary conditions,” he explained quietly, “I should be able to help. Let me just get in here and do a quick check…”

He pulled the sheets up from the foot of the bed and uncovered Tony’s lower half. Tony groaned in pain as the doctor examined him and squeezed Gibbs’ hand and Gibbs pushed his hair back from his forehead and looked straight into his eyes.

“Shh sok, gonna be alright, just relax and breathe honey. You can do it, c’mon control your breathing.”

Tony tilted his head towards Gibbs and squinted his eyes in pain. “Hurrttttttsssssss,” he moaned.

“Tony you’re looking alright. From what I can tell the placenta hasn’t been damaged. Now your body is beginning to show signs of going into labor, so we may need to get that under control. How far along are you?”

“Too early,” Tony panted, his voice barely a whisper. “It’s too early, Doc, you gotta stop it, it’s too early.”

Brad smiled gently. “How far along, Tony?”

Tony let out a shriek of pain. “Seven months,” he finally ground out.

Pitt relaxed. “Tony if it comes down to us having to deliver, you are far enough along that your baby should be fine. Now I want you to try and relax. I know you were under heavy sedation. I’m going to take you off the sedative and add something to your IV that should stop your contractions. I would normally prescribe magnesium sulfate to stop your contractions, but one of the side effects is a build up of fluid in the lungs. With your history of illness I don’t want to do anything to build up pressure or fluid on your lungs. No instead I’m going to give you a prostaglandin synthetase inhibitor, or PSH, to stop your labor contractions.”

Gibbs looked at him. “Side effects?”

“Tony you may experience some nausea or some heartburn.”

“And the baby?” Gibbs asked.

“It may raise the baby’s blood pressure and we’ll have to closely monitor lung, kidney and liver activities after the birth. However, we monitor those things anyway. Do you know if you are having a boy or a girl?”

Gibbs smiled slightly. “Girl.”

Tony shrieked in pain as a contraction gripped him suddenly. Brad patted Tony’s ankle. “I’m going to go get that IV I’ll be right back. Try and relax.”

Gibbs sat with Tony on the edge of the bed, holding his hand and rubbing his arm. He reassured him over and over that everything would be alright. A moment later, Brad stepped back into the room carrying another IV bag.

“I’m going to hook this up to the IV you already have going. We’ll watch you for an hour Tony, maybe two. If you’re still having the same amount of pain and if your contractions have not stopped, we’re going to have to deliver.”

He hooked up the bag and adjusted the flow. “Just relax. Try to get some rest.”

He left the room and a moment later was back with an Oxygen Concentrator and nasal canula. “I think this might help you rest a little easier Tony,” Brad said, slipped the canula into place around Tony’s nose and ears. Tony nodded; his eyes were pressed tightly shut and occasionally a tear would leak out. “Now if you need me call me. I won’t be far.” Brad smiled at Gibbs and Tony. “I’ve got your six gentlemen.” Gibbs and Tony smiled.

“Thanks Brad,” Tony whispered.

Two hours later, Gibbs was ready to pull his hair out. Tony’s pain hadn’t gone away at all, now he was throwing up on top of everything else, and he was still having contractions. Brad assured Gibbs that the vomiting could be an extreme side effect of the medication.

“Think of how he reacts to painkillers,” he said. “This is a walk in the park, Gibbs.”

Gibbs smiled at that. Pitt was right. Tony started heaving again and Brad grabbed a basin and positioned it under Tony’s mouth just in time to avoid him hitting the bed. Brad frowned when he saw Tony had started to vomit blood. He turned to Gibbs.

“Has he done this before now?”

Gibbs shook his head no, eyes wide. “Doesn’t that mean…”

Pitt hit the call button for the nurse’s desk. “It means you all are having a baby today Jethro.”

A nurse came into the room. “Please alert OR-1 that I have a patient coming in for an emergency cesarean. Be advised patient is male, and tachycardic.”

Tony’s eyes were wide. “What,” he panted. “What’s that mean? I’m what?”

Brad smiled at Tony. “Your heartbeat is a little fast and your blood pressure is a little high, Tony,” he said gently.

“Does that freakin surprise you, doc?”

Brad shook his head. “No not at all. But at this point it’s become enough of a concern that I think we should deliver your baby.”

Tony lay back against the pillows. “Can Jet stay with me?”

Gibbs looked at Brad. He would do whatever Tony needed, but there was a part of him that didn’t want to be anywhere near OR-1. Mortal wounds in a battlefield were one thing to witness…a surgical operation, Gibbs fought down a shudder; that was an entirely different ballgame. Brad looked from Tony to Gibbs.

“Gibbs may stay with you until you fall asleep, but he’ll need to stay in the waiting room while we deliver,” Pitt decided.

Tony nodded. “Will he be there when I wake up?”

Brad nodded. “Absolutely. He’ll be with you so the two of you can meet your daughter together.”

Finally, Tony smiled. Today he would get to meet his baby girl.

The anesthesiologist came by then and started hooking Tony up for surgery. Gibbs sat on the edge of the bed and rubbed his thumb over the back of Tony’s hand. Tony was blinking hard, scared to go to sleep, not knowing what was going to happen.

“Don’t fight it babe,” Gibbs whispered. “You’re gonna be fine. You’re so amazing. I am so proud of you. I’m so proud to call you my lover.”

He pressed a kiss to Tony’s slackening lips and watched as Tony’s eyes crossed and then began to slip shut.

“I love you Tony,” he whispered.

“Love…too…Jet…” Tony slurred. Then he was asleep.

Gibbs let out a long breath and stood up. Brad put a hand on his shoulder.

“The surgery should take about an hour. If I feel like it will take longer, I will have someone let you know. At the very least you have time to go get a cup of coffee Gibbs. Try and relax some. Tony’s going to need you when he wakes up. It might be a long night.”

Gibbs nodded and with a glance back at Tony one last time, he slipped out of the room.

He thumbed open his phone and punched 2 on the speed dial.

“Hello Jethro,” Ducky’s lilting voice echoed into Gibbs’ ear. “What can I do for you?”

“Tony was attacked by his father. It’s sent him into preterm labor. They’re having to do an emergency c-section. Can you…”

“My word Jethro that’s terrible. Let me speak with Madam Director and I will be there within the hour. Shall I bring anyone else with me?”

Gibbs ran a hand through his hair. “Not for now, no. Tony’s pretty scared and understandably so. Dr. Pitt is taking care of him.”

“Is he having trouble with his lungs?”

“No Duck turns out Pitt specializes in male-pregnancies too. After everything that happened, I insisted they find Tony a new doctor. They sent us Brad. Thank God. If we had known, he’d have been in charge the whole time.”

“You will have to fill me in on the details when I arrive Jethro. For now let me go and I will join you shortly.”

“Please hurry Ducky,” Gibbs said quietly and ended the call.

Across town at NCIS Ducky looked at his phone in awe. Gibbs saying please and speaking quietly…never a good sign.

TBC
End Notes:
Hold on to your hats folks…it’s gonna be a bumpy ride…
No Good News by WCUGirl
WARNING!!! Major Angst Ahead…
Chapter 5: No Good News

Gibbs eyed the clock. 45 minutes since Tony was taken into surgery.

He ran his hands over his thighs and let out a long breath. Too early for them to be finished. He picked up a magazine and half-heartedly thumbed through it. He tried to watch the headlines on ZNN news on the waiting area’s television. He tried to listen to the conversations of those around him, hoping to hear something that would distract him. He wished Ducky would arrive; he was always good for a distracting story.

Gibbs looked at the offending time piece again. 1 hour 10 minutes since Tony had gone into surgery.

Gibbs let out a tight breath. Now he could start to be concerned. But hadn’t Brad said the surgery would take ‘about an hour?’ Didn’t that mean it could take a little longer? ‘Settle down Gunny,’ Gibbs thought to himself. He thought back to the day that Kelly was born. He’d been nervous that day too and suddenly remembered why. Shannon had been having complications for some time with her pregnancy and had preeclampsia. Kelly had been delivered under duress"in an emergency c-section.

Gibbs rested his elbows on his knees and ran his hands through his hair. “Christ,” he muttered.

Ducky arrived a few minutes later and listened to the story of what had taken place in great detail as Gibbs began to pace around his small section of the waiting area.

Finally at 1 hour 35 minutes since Tony was taken into surgery, Gibbs couldn’t wait any longer.

“Where the hell are they Duck? He said it would take an hour and if it was going to take longer then he would come tell me! What the hell is going on here?”

“Mr. Gibbs?”

Gibbs whipped around at the sound of his name.

“Yes? How’s Tony?”

He saw a young nurse standing in the doorway to the waiting area.

“Come with me please,” was all she said.

Gibbs shot a confused look at Ducky and took off after the nurse. She led him to a smaller private room with a couch and a chair inside.

“Dr. Pitt will join you shortly,” she said and closed the door behind her.

Gibbs resumed pacing. A minute later there was a quiet knock and the door opened and Brad stuck his head in.

“Jesus Brad what the hell!?! Is Tony alright? Can I see him? What about the baby?!”

Pitt blinked in the face of so many questions.

“Have a seat Jethro,” he said quietly.

Something in Gibbs’ gut felt ice cold.

“What happened,” he whispered, taking a seat on the small couch.

Brad ran a hand over his face. “There was damage to the placenta that we couldn’t see from an external examination…There was actually…too much damage, Jethro. Your daughter…she didn’t make it. She was stillborn. I’m so sorry.”

Gibbs closed his eyes for a moment. Then his icy blue gaze rested on Pitt again. “There’s more,” he concluded.

Pitt nodded. “There was also significant damage to some of Tony’s reproductive organs. I need to remove the organs that give him the ability to become pregnant. There is a lot of internal bruising and internal hemorrhaging that we couldn’t see from the outside.”

Gibbs ran a trembling hand over his mouth. “Is he going to be alright,” he asked quietly. He wished the nurse would have let him bring Ducky with him back here to hear all of this. He’d only felt this helpless one other time…no he wasn’t going there right now.

“We need to act quickly. Like I said, he’s hemorrhaging. I…I need your permission to remove those organs,” he said quietly, regretfully.

Gibbs closed his eyes. His baby was dead. His lover was dying.

“Will he be alright if we do that?”

“It will be a long recovery process. He’ll need some hormone replacement therapy until his body adjusts. The recovery will be more emotional than physical though, I’d wager.”

Gibbs closed his eyes and let out a long breath. “What if we don’t do it?”

Pitt’s mouth set into a thin line. He knew Gibbs was just trying to gather information, but they needed to act quickly. “If we don’t do the surgery…you’ll be planning two funerals Jethro. Tony won’t survive without the surgery. He’ll bleed to death.”

“Do it,” Gibbs said without a moment’s hesitation. “Go! Do it now! Please don’t let him die,” Gibbs begged, his voice little more than a whisper.

Pitt was already on his feet. “If he didn’t die under my care when he had the pneumonic plague, he certainly will not die under my care when he’s having a baby.”

Gibbs sank to his knees and tried to get his breathing under control. A moment later he noticed that Ducky had joined him. “What happened, Jethro?”

Gibbs looked up at Ducky and Ducky saw everything that had happened reflected in Gibbs’ haunted gaze. “The baby didn’t make it,” Gibbs said quietly. “Pitt’s doing a hysterectomy…if he doesn’t…if he can’t get the bleeding stopped…then I lose both of them.”

He looked up at Ducky, forcing himself into a calm he didn’t feel. “I can’t lose my family twice Duck. Can’t do it. I won’t survive if Tony doesn’t make it.”

TBC
Reaction by WCUGirl
Author’s Note: TISSUE WARNING!!! Sadness ahead…
Chapter 6: Reaction

It was another four hours before Dr. Pitt returned to the room. He knocked twice, opened the door and sat down heavily in the chair. He reached up and pulled the surgical cap off of his head and wiped a hand over his face.

“Well,” Gibbs asked sharply. His patience was well and truly shot by this point. Worry, grief and fear had rendered him rude. Ducky smiled regretfully at Dr. Pitt and placed a hand on Jethro’s arm.

“Jethro"”

“Can I see him? Did he make it? Is he ok?”

Dr. Pitt smiled, understanding and appreciating Gibbs’ concern. “My turn now?”

Gibbs nodded sheepishly. “Sorry.”

“Now someone told me that apologizing is a sign of weakness,” Pitt replied, a snarky grin on his face. “Tony made it through the surgery. His blood pressure bottomed out a couple of times and gave us some concern, but he never coded, which is good news. We completed the hysterectomy and repaired the damages.”

“Can I see him?”

“Yes, but let me tell you what to be prepared for first.”

Gibbs nodded, sitting on the edge of his seat, ready to sprint to his lover’s side.

“You both need to be prepared for and understand the fact that Tony will not be able to carry anymore children. His body is unable to do so without the organs we removed and it wouldn’t be feasible to transplant those organs in. He’s still in the recovery room. I’ve got him in a medically induced coma. I want to keep him that way for at least a day, maybe two, to give his body a chance to heal. We are going to start him on some HRT as soon as we get him moved out of recovery. He’ll be in the ICU until I’m ready for him to wake up and maybe a day or so after that. Gibbs I know this is a hard time for you all, but Tony is really going to need you to be strong for him. I have no doubts he is going to be confused about what happened, he’ll have feelings of depression most likely and insecurity as well as possibly some survivor’s guilt. He’s dealing with being attacked as well as the death of his child. He’s going to rely on you to assure him that everything will work out. Most importantly he’s going to need to be assured that he won’t be alone. I’m asking this as Tony’s friend; can you do that for him?”

Gibbs looked at Dr. Pitt evenly. “I respect that question, Doc,” he replied, “takes balls to ask someone something like that. Yes I can do all of those things for him. I love him; I only want to help him. Now can I PLEASE see him?”

Pitt nodded. “This way.”

He led them down the hall to the recovery room. Tony was hooked up to a wide assortment of machines, but the ventilator was what caught Gibbs’ eye and he turned sharply toward the doctor.

“Pitt what"”

Pitt held up his hands in a placating gesture.

“Gibbs we hooked it up to relieve his body of some pressure and strain during the surgery. His lungs are fine; the vent is there merely to help his body rest. He was exhausted to begin with and then he lost a lot of blood and he just had a baby. His body is exhausted and breathing is almost more work than he has the strength for right now. The vent is temporary. I promise he will be off of it and it will be long gone from sight before I let Tony wake up.”

Gibbs nodded. “Good. You said you’re going to keep him asleep for a while?”

“At least a day, maybe two days, depending on how his recovery goes. Blood tests and regular checks of his vital signs will tell me how long I need to keep him like this.”

Gibbs nodded. In that moment, it seemed the magnitude of everything hit him, and Gibbs suddenly felt very old and weary. Dr. Pitt noticed, as did Ducky.

“I would recommend you take some time for yourself now Jethro,” Brad said softly. “Go home; get some rest, maybe a shower and some good food. Have a good cry. Do what you need to do to take care of yourself. I will be keeping close tabs on Tony tonight and tomorrow. I’ll call you if anything happens. I promise I won’t wake him up until you get back or we talk.”

Gibbs turned and looked at Tony. He looked so…well so terrible! His face was pale, nearly matching the pillowcase his head was resting on. His eyes were closed, and not for the first time, Gibbs saw how dark the circles under his lover’s eyes were"he truly hadn’t been getting any rest for months. The evidence of what happened was hidden under the blankets covering him. Gibbs eyed the rest of Tony. The only thing missing now was the baby bump.

He leaned over and pressed a soft kiss to Tony’s forehead, another to his cheek. He ran his fingers lightly through Tony’s hair and massaged his scalp for a moment, the entire time whispering words of love and encouragement into his lover’s ear. Pressing a final kiss to Tony’s forehead, Gibbs turned to Dr. Pitt.

“You’ll call me if there’s anything…”

Brad nodded. “I’ll call you after each time I check on him, how ‘bout that? Keep you updated?”

Gibbs nodded. “That’d be great. Thanks Brad…for everything…I mean I know this sucks but…” Gibbs was at a loss for words. “Just…thanks,” he said quietly.

Dr. Pitt nodded. Gibbs turned one last time and, in a moment resembling a time years ago under ultraviolet blue lights, Gibbs picked up Tony’s hand and pressed Tony’s cell phone into his fingers. He leaned over, carding his fingers through Tony’s hair instead of cuffing his head.

“You still do not have permission to die, Tony,” he murmured.

A nurse in earshot gasped at the words, but Pitt just smirked. Gibbs turned to leave and saw the expression on Brad’s face.

“What?”

Brad chuckled. “And here all this time I thought it was a miracle of science that saved Tony’s life.”

Gibbs smirked. “Nope, no miracle. DiNozzo’s never disobeyed an order yet. He’s not going to start now. Duck will you stay with him for me until I get back?”

“Of course Jethro. Are you going to tell the others?”

“I’d prefer it if you tell them, but I don’t want them here yet. No visitors from anyone until I’m back except for you Ducky.” He looked at Dr. Pitt to make sure he understood. “What happened before with the visitor list…it won’t happen again,” he vowed, making the threat clear in his voice. “I’ll be back soon.” That being said, Gibbs made his way out the door and headed home to a very empty house.

***
Gibbs didn’t even recall the drive.

He went through the motions of checking the mail, turning on the lights in the hallway, opening the refrigerator and pretending to notice what was inside, and somehow ended up in the basement wearing old sweats, a mason jar full of bourbon in his hand.

He eyed his masterpiece on the workbench in front of him and took a healthy swig off his drink.

With a shaking hand he ran his fingers over the solidly constructed baby cradle"nearly finished. His fingers wove through the carefully carved patterns along the edge of the cradle’s sides.

He took another swig off the bourbon.

He turned it on its side and ran his hand along the inside of it, feeling the smoothness of the wood and the quality of the grain.

Another sip.

He could feel his breath beginning to catch in his throat.

Another sip.

Refill the glass.

Big gulp.

Another.

Another.

The alcohol swimming through his system was feeding his emotions. He refilled the glass again and stared into it. What was he doing? Drinking? For what? To make himself feel better? To make himself forget? Was he no better than DiNozzo Senior? What about Tony? How was he supposed to be made to feel better? To forget?

Gibbs pitched the glass of bourbon at the wall, groaning in the same moment the shattering glass made a satisfying crash on the wall across the room. He picked up the cradle and flung it wildly across the basement. The rockers broke off with the impact that cradle made with the floor, but otherwise the well constructed baby bed remained in tact.

Gibbs picked up his sledgehammer and swung it into the side of the cradle like a golf club. He picked the cradle up again and threw it once more. Another piece broke off.

This pattern continued, hitting and throwing and breaking the wooden creation until there was nothing left but splinters.

His creation…his pride and joy…his baby’s…his baby was dead. Again.

Gibbs looked around the basement. He saw the mess on the floor, the bourbon on the wall, the darkness out the window. He leaned against the wall and slid down it slowly. Then he silently tucked his head against his aching knees. Everything had been so perfect…when had it gotten so fucked up?

The sound of Jethro’s sobs echoed through the quiet house all night long.

TBC
End Notes:
TISSUE WARNING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
(And I'm giving you guys 2 chapters this week since I love ya so much!)
The Most Loved Child In The World by WCUGirl
Author’s Note: Tissue Warning! ~offers the box again~

Chapter 7: The Most Loved Child In The World

It was late the next afternoon when Gibbs had finally pulled himself together enough to return to the hospital. He’d been in near constant contact with Dr. Pitt the night before"the doctor called him hourly with updates on Tony. Somewhere around sunrise in another moment of fueled anger, his cell phone had met the same demise his mason jar of bourbon had the night before.

Exhausted after hours of emotions, Gibbs awoke to find himself curled up on the floor among the debris of his grief. He raised his head and brushed a hand over his splinter covered cheek, and looked around for his phone. His gut dropped when he saw it in pieces on the floor, and he knew he had to get in touch with the hospital about Tony.

He raced up the stairs to the kitchen to grab the cordless phone off the dock. He was dialing the number for the hospital when he heard McGee’s voice coming through the front door.

“Boss?! You here? Are you okay? Ducky is worried sick!”

Gibbs met him in the hallway. “Is Tony okay? Is he alright? I have to get to the hospital!”

“Woah Gibbs stop! Waitaminute…you need to pull yourself together. Go take a shower; I’ll make you a sandwich.”

“I don’t have time to eat McGee! Tony needs me! I let him down…left him there…God I promised I’d stay with him, but I just…I had to…I had to get away…I have to go…”

Tim grabbed his arm. “Gibbs! Listen to me! No one blames you for needing to take some time! I just talked to Ducky…Tony is fine! He’s still sleeping! You need to take care of yourself Boss! Do you know how pissed Tony will be with me if he finds out I didn’t make you take care of yourself?”

Gibbs deflated a little. “You’re right. Listen McGee…make a deal with you.”

McGee narrowed his eyes. “You don’t make deals… “

Gibbs exhaled hard, exasperated. “For Tony I will make deals. Now I’ll eat… and I’ll go take a shower…if you will fix me something I can eat in the car?”

McGee smiled, his eyes were sad, but he would remain strong; he would take care of his friends…Gibbs and Tony…they were going to need so much help…not that either of them would admit to it, of course…

“Sure Gibbs,” he said quietly and put a reassuring hand on his shoulder. “I’ll make you a sandwich. And coffee.”

Fifteen minutes later, they were in the car and Tim was driving Gibbs back to the hospital.

***
McGee was right; when they arrived at the hospital, Gibbs found Ducky tremendously concerned for him, and Tony sleeping peacefully in the intensive care unit. The ventilator was no where to be seen.

“Jethro where in God’s name have you been? You broke one of your own rules! We’ve been phoning you for hours!”

“How is he Ducky? Is Tony ok?”

“He’s doing remarkably well, Jethro. That’s the reason we’ve been calling so frantically"Dr. Pitt removed the ventilator and wanted to wake Tony up! But he assured you he wouldn’t do that without telling you first. Where the hell have you been, man?”

Gibbs let out a sigh and ran a hand through his hair.

“I was at home Duck…I just…I guess I lost myself for a bit…I broke my phone…”

Ducky nodded, his face gentle with understanding. “It’s understandable dear boy,” he said. “We shouldn’t have let you be alone like that. One of us should have accompanied you. The important thing is you are here now. Tony is fine, even though you’ve been gone, and I’d wager that you needed to take a bit of time to grieve?”

Gibbs nodded silently. Then he took a deep breath. “I broke it.”

“You broke what?”

Gibbs sank into the chair next to Tony’s bed. He put his face in his hands. “I broke her cradle, Ducky…” he looked at Tony. “How do I tell him all this? He’s so excited"it took him a while to warm up to the idea but…ah God Duck…how do I break his heart like this?”

Ducky placed a hand on Gibbs’ shoulder and one on Tony’s ankle. “You tell him the truth, Jethro. Then you be there for him when he needs you,” he said simply. “I’m going to go find Bradley. He may be ready to wake our boy up.” The door clicked softly a moment later, and Gibbs and Tony were left alone.

He reached over and picked up a limp hand. “I’m here babe…I’m back now…I’m so sorry Tony…this isn’t how it was supposed to go…not at all…”

***
The Next Afternoon…

Brad had decided to leave Tony asleep until the next morning. Just after sunrise he unhooked the IV and turned the machine off.

“He’ll probably sleep for a few more hours, but then he should wake up with no problems,” he’d told Gibbs.

Dr. Pitt’s heart ached for these two. He’d read over Dr. Phillips’ charts and notes and knew how difficult their journey together had been"and that wasn’t counting the frequent unrelated scares and injuries, not to mention life threatening illness…it seemed their clouds never had a silver lining. As Tony began showing signs of waking up, Brad stuck close by, not quite hovering, but wanting to be available when it was time to tell Tony that his baby hadn’t survived. He and Gibbs had talked a lot the night before. They agreed that Gibbs should be the one to tell Tony.

“Do you want me to have funeral services come pick up the baby, Jethro?”

Gibbs shook his head. “Not yet. I want to tell Tony first. There’s a chance he’s going to want to see the baby.” Gibbs wanted to see the baby too.

“Once he’s awake and alert and you’ve told him…if he wants to see the baby I don’t think there’s anything wrong with that…it’s a good way to get closure for some people.”

Tony was waking up more now. Gibbs felt his chest constrict with anxiety…God…he didn’t want to have to do this.

Tony stirred in his sleep and Gibbs ran his hand lightly over Tony’s arm. “Babe? Tony can you hear me? Can you open your eyes?”

Tony’s eyelids fluttered but remained closed and a soft moan escaped his lips. It took another couple of hours and some gentle prodding from Jethro before Tony finally opened his eyes.

“Jet?”

“Right here honey…how do you feel?”

Tony blinked, his brain still heavy with sleep. “Mmm…sleepy,” he whispered, eyes sliding shut again.

Gibbs took a deep breath. “Wake up Tony.”

Suddenly Tony’s eyes flew open and his hand flew to his stomach. “Woah! Easy, easy,” Gibbs coached. “Don’t want you to pull any stitches loose,” he said quietly. “Do you want some water?”

Tony shook his head. “The…baby…Jet where is she? Is she ok?”

“Tony we need to talk about the baby.”

“Can I sit up a bit? I feel like I’ve been lying down for days,” Tony said quietly.

Gibbs glanced over his shoulder at Brad who was giving them some space but close by if needed. He nodded his approval for Tony to sit up. Gibbs pressed the button on the control panel in the bed and a moment later Tony was settled much more comfortably sitting more upright.

“Ok Jethro, where is she? I want to see her!” Tony’s eyes shown with excitement.

It broke Gibbs’ heart.

“Tony do you remember being attacked?”

Tony’s eyes darkened and he nodded. “Yeah…my father…we had to deliver early.”

Gibbs nodded. “Tony…the beating…well it did some damage to the placenta.”

“I thought that was why we had to go ahead and have her…”

“It is…but…once Brad got into the surgery, he realized there was even more damage than we’d first thought.”

“Gibbs. Where. Is. She? Where’s my baby?”

Gibbs sighed. Sometimes it might be easier to just rip the band-aid off instead of trying to pry it up gently. He looked at his lover, tears filling his own eyes.

“The baby didn’t make it Tony. She was dead when Brad delivered her.”

Tony looked at Gibbs for a long moment. Then he dropped his gaze to his much smaller stomach. He ran a hand over the spot where before a baby had been growing. He didn’t speak for a long time.

Finally in a pained whisper, eyes still on his lap, “she’s dead?”

Gibbs closed his eyes, forcing back the tears that threatened to overwhelm him completely.

“Yeah Tony…I’m so sorry…”

Tony looked up at Gibbs, his eyes filled with tears. “It’s my fault,” he whispered, “if I hadn’t let that doctor give me those sedatives I"”

“No!” Gibbs didn’t mean to shout, but he couldn’t stand the thought that Tony would blame himself, though he wasn’t surprised by it. “Tony it isn’t your fault. You have to believe me babe; this has nothing to do with anything you did"this would have…they would have still found a way to make it happen…” Gibbs whispered, looking straight into Tony’s eyes, even as they filled with tears.

“Is she still here? Can I see her? Would that be alright?” No one commented on how Tony’s voice cracked when he spoke.

Gibbs motioned to Brad with his head. “I’ll go get her for you Tony,” Brad said quietly. Tony nodded. His lower lip was quivering just slightly and his fingers were fussing nervously with the blanket. Gibbs sat on the edge of Tony’s bed and looked at him. He stilled Tony’s hands with his own.

“I love you. We’ll get all this figured out Tony…we’ll make the bastards pay…but we have to do it together Tony…please honey…please don’t shut me out here. I love you so much, Tony.”

Tony looked at him. “I love you too Jethro,” he whispered.

Both heads turned toward the door when it opened. Brad entered quietly, carrying a small bundle wrapped in a soft pink blanket. Tony’s eyes filled with tears again and shaking hands reached out to hold his child for the first time.

Brad gently placed the little baby in Tony’s arms and he snuggled her close. Her body was cool and a little bit stiff, but Tony didn’t care. He stared in awe at this child…downy soft blond hair coated her head, her nose looked like Jethro’s and her chin looked like Tony’s. She shared their high cheekbones and her limbs were long and lean…just likes her daddies’…he knew under the closed eyelids were the most brilliant, expressive eyes"blue or green"that anyone would have ever seen…

“Look at her Jethro,” Tony cooed, “she’s amazing…”

Gibbs sat on the side of the bed and leaned against the mattress beside Tony. It was all Gibbs could do to look at her. But he also found he couldn’t look at anything else.

Tony carefully unwrapped her from the blanket and lay her down on her back between his legs. He carefully counted each of her fingers and each of her toes. He ran his hands over her tummy and her arms. He carefully fingered a foot, running a thumb up the bottom of one. Then he wrapped her back up and snuggled her in close to his chest again.

“She’s beautiful, Brad,” he whispered, almost reverently.

Brad’s shoulders tightened. He would not cry. Not until he was back in his office with the door closed anyway. “She is beautiful Tony,” he whispered.

“You wanna hold her, Jet?”

Gibbs shook his head. “I’ll hold her when you’re finished,” he said quietly, his voice rough with emotion.

The door opened and Ducky and Abby came in quietly.

“Tony!” Abby squealed, “you’re awake!” Then she saw what was in Tony’s arms. “Aww…is that her Tony? Can I see her?”

Tony nodded, his movements shaky and jerky. Tears were already beginning to slide down his cheeks as the reality set in. His baby was dead. His baby was dead. Abby sat on Tony’s other side and smiled sadly at him. He held the baby away from his chest a bit, showing off his beautiful child to his best friend. Ducky approached quietly behind Abby.

“She’s quite lovely, Anthony. You and Jethro certainly produce beautiful children.”

“They’re two hot guys Duckman! How could they not?!” Abby exclaimed.

Their gazes returned to Tony when they realized he hadn’t responded. Tony was holding his daughter close, still touching her fingers and toes through the blanket, running a finger down the curve of her nose, whispering softly to her, tears pouring down his cheeks. Gibbs wrapped his arm around Tony’s shoulders and pulled him in close. He pressed a kiss to Tony’s temple and ran a hand over the baby’s soft hair.

The moment was so beautiful…despite the morbidity of it, Abby couldn’t resist taking a picture of the small, broken family. The digital camera blinked and she viewed the picture. She knew it was likely the only one of their family they’d ever have.

Tony looked at Jethro. “Jet…can we…I mean I know maybe it’s silly but…can we have a funeral for her? I mean I know she didn’t even…but I think…I think it would be good…to…you know, have one…can we?”

The insecurity of Tony’s tone would be Gibbs’ undoing, he feared. He pressed another silent kiss to Tony’s temple. “Of course, I wouldn’t have it any other way,” he said, a couple of tears escaping.

Ducky touched Abby’s shoulder. “Abigail I think we should let them alone for a bit. We should go be with the others.” Abby nodded and stood up. She pressed a kiss to Tony’s cheek and one to Gibbs’. Then she leaned over and kissed the tiny baby. “You are the most loved child in the world, little one,” she said, and a couple of tears escaped her own eyes. Together she and Ducky quietly left the room, leaving the broken little family alone.

TBC

Author’s Note: I did warn you that you’d need tissues… ~Offers a box~ Please don’t hate me! The ending is happy!!
End Notes:
*offers box of tissues* You're gonna need it.
Tesora Angelina DiNozzo-Gibbs by WCUGirl
Author’s Note: Another tissue warning…don’t hate me please…I never said this would be a happy story!

Chapter 8: Tesora Angelina DiNozzo-Gibbs

After Ducky and Abby left, Brad puttered around the room for a few minutes, not knowing what to say, and not wanting to interrupt this moment that was so precious to his friends. He turned around and looked at the sight before him. Tony was crying openly now, his head in the crook of Jethro’s neck, arms still clutching the baby, Gibbs’ arms wrapped firmly around him. Quiet sobs wracked his frame, and to be honest, Pitt had never felt quite so human or so helpless as he did in that moment.

He knew there was more news to share. He also knew it might be better to just get it all over with. Once it was done, the healing could begin. He took a slow step toward the bed.

“Tony?”

Tony lifted his head from its comfortable spot and looked at Brad.

“I want to go ahead and finish telling you everything you need to know Tony. That way you can get on the road to recovery with all the information.”

Tony looked from Brad to Gibbs and back to Brad; his eyes were tired, dull and full of pain. “There’s more,” he asked. “This…” he nodded at the baby he still held, “this isn’t enough? There’s more?”

Brad looked at Gibbs for permission to continue. Gibbs squeezed Tony tighter. “I’m right here,” he whispered in Tony’s ear, “you don’t have to do any of this alone, Love. I’m right here. You…you need to hear all of it,” Gibbs said softly.

Tony looked at Brad. “Don’t sugarcoat it Pitt,” Tony said. “Just give it to me straight"no beating around the bush or anything. Just tell me and get it over with.”

Brad was slightly astonished at Tony, but only slightly. These two were two of the strongest people he knew; if anyone could overcome this, it would be Tony and Gibbs.

“After we delivered your baby you experienced some complications. The damage wasn’t only to the placenta. You were hemorrhaging badly…I’m sorry Tony. I had to perform a hysterectomy. You aren’t going to be able to have any more children.”

Tony blinked, shocked. A part of him wasn’t surprised by the news. A part of him was actually glad to hear he wouldn’t have to go through this again. A part of him was broken hearted.

“Okay,” he said quietly.

“Okay? That’s it?”

“I’ll be upset about it I’m sure…I just…I can’t yet…”

Gibbs squeezed Tony’s shoulders again. “Sok,” he murmured, “sok…”

The two were quiet for a few moments. Brad wasn’t sure how long to let Tony hold his baby, but he figured that this would be his only opportunity. If he wanted to sit and hold his child and talk to his partner and make a memory or two, he wasn’t going to stop him. No way.

Tony looked at the baby and smiled. “I know what we should name her,” he said quietly.

Gibbs wasn’t surprised that Tony had come up with a name. They’d decided they would wait until she was born to pick a name that fit her. He smiled at Tony. “What’s her name babe?”

Tony ran his thumb over the bottom of her foot again and smiled up at Jethro. “Her name is Tesora,” he said quietly. At Jethro’s questioning look he continued. “It’s Italian. It means Treasure. What’d you think?”

Gibbs leaned his head on top of Tony’s and sighed. “I think it’s perfect,” he said.

Tony smiled, glad that his partner approved. He looked back at his baby. “Tesora Angelina DiNozzo-Gibbs.”

Gibbs reached out and ran his hand over the top of her head again. “Tess for short,” he said. Tony smiled and nodded.

After a while it became obvious that Tony was tired. Brad had put the moment off as long as he could, but he knew that it was time to take the baby away from Tony and make him get some rest. He approached the bed.

“Tony?”

“Hmm?” Tony’s eyelids were heavy and his head was lolling against Jethro’s shoulder. He still clung to the child in his arms.

“Tony, it’s time to let me take Tess back to the nursery,” Pitt said quietly.

“No.”

“Tony you need to rest. It’s time to let her go and take care of yourself now.”

Brad reached for the baby and Tony pulled her back. “I said no,” he spoke sharply.

“C’mon babe, you need the rest, you’re exhausted,” Gibbs said. Finally Tony reluctantly passed the baby over to the doctor.

“I’ll be back to check on you in a few moments,” Brad said and left the room.

Tony lost it.

“Where’s he taking her? Gibbs where’s he going with her?”

“He is taking her back to the nursery until we’re ready for someone to come pick her up,” Gibbs said gently. “It’s alright Tony. She’s safe, I promise she’s safe.”

“She’s not safe, SHE’S DEAD!” Tony cried, “She’s…my baby’s…Jet she…”

Gibbs pulled Tony tightly against him. This wasn’t a time for gentle hugs or soft touches. His partner needed his masculinity reinforced"he needed to know that Gibbs didn’t think he was fragile or breakable. Tony beat on Jethro’s chest, sobs ripping through him, cries of anguish spilling from the depths of his soul. Gibbs didn’t try to calm him down nor quiet him. Tony needed to get all this out.

Brad returned after a few minutes and when he saw Tony so upset he became concerned. “I can offer a sedative…” he said quietly. Gibbs shook his head no.

“Thanks, but no. He’s had more than enough sedatives. He needs this,” Gibbs said quietly, even as Tony’s harsh cries continued.

“It’s so soon after he’s had surgery Gibbs…I’m afraid he’ll hurt himself…”

“Want to,” Tony whimpered, “don’t wanna do this anymore…wanna be with my baby,” he began to sob again.

Gibbs spoke with a gentleness that surprised Brad. “You don’t wanna leave me here all alone again, do ya Tony? You saw how I got after Shannon and Kelly died…you don’t wanna make me go through that alone again do you?”

Tony shook his head no. Gibbs smiled; he knew Tony wouldn’t ever intentionally hurt him. Finally Tony leaned against Gibbs’ chest and didn’t struggle or fight anymore. He simply settled there. Within moments he was asleep.

“He wore himself out,” Gibbs said dryly, looking at his lover. He ran a soothing hand over Tony’s hair. He could only hope that now he’d get some rest.

***

While Tony slept, Gibbs sat sentry beside him. He thought back over the past few months; their lives had changed so drastically in such a short period of time! He recalled how the team had reacted to the news…

Flashback

“Ok guys, you have to tell us what’s up,” Kate said, sipping her rum and coke. Gibbs and Tony had planned a dinner party for the team and the director to tell them the good news. They wanted to be up front about what was going on with them, both to have their understanding, and their support.

Gibbs looked at Tony. Tony unconsciously ran a hand over his barely-there bump. Tony turned to the group. “Well you guys know that me and Jethro have been together for quite some time now.”

“And you guys are totally the hottest gay couple around! I mean, not that you act gay, because you are both so freakin masculine you could never seem feminine at all, and not that gay men are feminine…but you’re both just so good looking and when you put the two of you together then you’re absolutely smokin’ and"“

“Easy there Abs, take a breath,” Tony said, chuckling. “We wanted to have you guys over because Jethro and I are…moving into a new stage in our relationship.”

“Are you going to quit posing and finally move in together,” Jenny asked, sipping her own drink, a knowing smile on her face. She already knew what was going on"Tony had told her the day of his first doctor appointment. He’d asked her to keep it under wraps until they were ready to tell everyone. She’d been great so far, very supportive of both Tony and Gibbs, and their child.

Jethro smiled"a real smile"and put his arm around Tony. “Tony and I have been living together for close to two months now, Jen,” he said sweetly, with a snarky look on his face.

McGee’s eyebrows furrowed and he was trying to put the pieces together. “So you’re already living together,” he clarified, “if you’re already living together then what possible next step could there be…”

“OH! OH-OH-OH-OH-OH!!! You’re getting married aren’t you?!?! You’re going to go to Massachusetts and you’re going to get officially married, aren’t you??! Oh you DOGS!!! You should have told me!! We have a ton of things to do! Things to plan! Where are you going to have the reception?! The cake?! The"”

“ABBY!” Jethro’s slightly sharp tone stopped her mid-tirade. “We aren’t getting married,” he said quietly, reaching over and taking Tony’s hand. “As far as I’m concerned, we’re already married. We’re having a baby.”

“You’re going to adopt a baby?” Kate asked. Her eyes were wide in surprise and she took a big sip off her drink.

“No we aren’t adopting,” Tony said.

“Surrogacy then,” Ducky guessed. “Why my dear boys I think that is a fantastic idea"I remember a friend of mine who…wait a moment,” Ducky interrupted himself for a change. “Anthony…?”

Tony smiled. Attaboy Ducky. “Yeah Ducky…guys you remember the Stevenson case a while back?”

The group nodded. “You were injured, Tony,” McGee said, “I remember you had to go to the hospital…”

“Exactly. While I was there…well the doctor was running some tests…we found out I can have children.”

“WAIT!! Waitaminute,” Kate interjected, “You mean to tell me…that Mr. I-have-a-different-woman-everyday-of-the-week is PREGNANT?! With a baby,” she said, her jaw still hanging open in shock.

“Kate I haven’t been with a woman in over five years…and I haven’t been with anyone other than Jethro in close to two. I am pregnant; Jethro is the other father. Do you have a problem with that?”

“Other than the fact that I wanted to be the one to actually have kids someday,” Kate grumped, “I guess you realize this steals all the thunder for anyone else who might want to have a baby?”

“No one is saying no one else can have children…And if you don’t like it Kate, you don’t have to stay,” Jethro said reasonably.

“Gibbs, I didn’t mean it like…I mean I don’t have a problem with…I just guess I thought Tony wouldn’t be the first one of us to settle down,” she said quietly.

“Anthony’s been ‘settled down’ for quite some time now, Caitlyn,” Ducky said kindly. “He may still be outgoing and fun-loving, but he’s been quite settled into his relationship with Jethro for some time now. I think it’s splendid news.”

Tony noticed Abby was very quiet. “You alright Abs?”

She looked up at him and smiled, tears brimming her eyes. “I’m just so happy for you Tony!” She jumped up and squeezed his neck. “I mean you never had much in the way of family growing up ya know? And now you’re going to have a little baby, and you can love on it and kiss on it and give your baby the family you’ve always dreamed of. And there’s no one in the world better to do it with than Gibbs"he’s already got experience!”

McGee closed his eyes when he realized what Abby said. He opened them after a moment and saw the brief look of sadness cross his boss’ face. Tony reached out and touched Gibbs’ shoulder. “It’ll be different this time,” he said quietly. “We just wanted you all to know what was happening. I will be in and out for doctor’s appointments, Gibbs will go with me when he’s able, and eventually I’ll be out on leave. I need to know if any of you have a problem with any of that?”

“No!”

“No problem!”

“Not me!”

“I’ll have all the paperwork approved for you Tony.”

“I still can’t believe you guys are actually going to have a baby. Gibbs are you sure you’re ok with Tony…I mean he’s not exactly"” Gibbs was in her face so fast, that Kate couldn’t stop the squeak that escaped.

“Think about that sentence before you finish it, Agent Todd. Make sure you finish it correctly or you will find yourself on another team. I won’t have anyone in this group disrespecting my partner or our decision. We clear?”

“Clear boss.”

“Clear.”

“Of course Jethro.”

“Crystal.”

It was smooth sailing after that. No one had said anything inappropriate. Kate snarked with Tony just as she always had, but seemed…somewhat gentler about it now. After a couple of weeks of watching everyone’s reaction, Gibbs’ gut settled. Things would be alright, he told himself. They’d be just fine.

End Flashback

***
Rest was short lived. Tony was soon tossing in the throes of a nightmare. He moaned and struggled, and sobbed and cried, but couldn’t seem to wake up. Gibbs hesitated to touch him, knowing it would startle him, but found himself unable to wake him any other way.

“Tony,” he said softly and laid a hand on Tony’s forehead.

Tony shot awake and sat straight up in bed, clutching at his gut. “That sonofabitch,” he whispered.

“What? Tony who were you dreaming of?”

“That sonofabitch,” Tony said louder, “I’ll kill him!” He started trying to get out of the bed. Gibbs was becoming slightly concerned, and easily pushed Tony back down in the bed.

“Tony who are you talking about?”

“MY FATHER! THAT SONOFABITCH! HE KILLED MY BABY,” as quickly as it started the anger stopped and was replaced by tears, “he killed my little girl…sonofabitch…fucking sonofabitch…” he whispered, tears streaming from his eyes again.

“We’ll get him Tony. He’ll pay for what he did. Try and relax love, you need to get some sleep.”

Tony leaned back against the pillows but didn’t shut his eyes for a long time. When he did, his fingers clutched even tighter to Gibbs’. Gibbs’ gut was churning again. He had to make this right…he had to find a way to help Tony…he couldn’t lose Tony…but part of him wondered if he already had. Tony would never be the same.

Neither would he.

TBC
End Notes:
Another tissue warning.......
Putting One Foot In Front Of The Other by WCUGirl
Chapter 9: Putting One Foot In Front of the Other

The days passed slowly. Tony was slowly improving. But he refused to talk about the baby in the past tense, and he refused to get out of bed. Gibbs crawled up in bed behind Tony, spooning up to his now thin body. He ran a hand reassuringly up and down Tony’s arm before gently draping his arm around Tony’s middle. They lay like that for a long time until one of the nurses came in.

“Tony you need to turn over,” she said quietly.

Tony didn’t make any attempt to move, instead snuggled into his pillow. “I’m too tired,” he said quietly.

Gibbs got up and moved to the other side of the bed.

“C’mon Tony, you need to turn over, or you’re going to get an infection. Doc says you got to rotate. Flip over and I’ll get back in bed with you.”

With a lot of effort, Tony finally managed to turn over. Even the slightest activity was nearly too much for his body, and he immediately dropped into sleep afterwards. Gibbs crawled back in behind him and resumed their former position, though he didn’t sleep. He couldn’t help but worry…Tony wasn’t bouncing back from this at all. Gibbs expected him to be sad, but not to give up living.

Dr. Pitt was concerned"he technically needed his patient up and walking around before he could release him. As it was, getting Tony to turn over in bed was enough of a challenge. He called Ducky and told him what he’d observed and asked him what he thought. Ducky agreed and after speaking for a few more minutes a plan was in place and Dr. Pitt hung up the phone. Time to put the plan in play.

“Gibbs can I talk to you a minute?”

Gibbs got up off the bed and looked at his sleeping partner. Tony’s arms were wrapped around his middle and his face was turned down toward the mattress slightly. Gibbs sighed. It seemed all Tony did was sleep and cry, sometimes simultaneously. They hadn’t even been able to get him to eat successfully now in over a day.

“I want to send him home,” Brad started.

Gibbs blinked in surprise. “Really? You think he’s ready?”

“I don’t think he’s ready at all, but I don’t think keeping him here is the answer either,” Brad responded. “He’s not going to get any better here,” he stated. “If we keep him here, I’m afraid he’s going to grieve himself to death. There’s nothing to distract him here.”

“Don’t think he wants any distractions,” Gibbs said softly.

“No but at home he will have more opportunities for activity than he does here. And it will help him get back on a normal schedule. I spoke with Ducky and he agrees with me. I’m going to send him home tomorrow. I can come by your home and do checkups on him there, and Ducky said he would help as well.”

Gibbs nodded. “You’re the expert here. I want to do whatever is best for Tony. If that means taking him home, well then we’ll try it.”

Brad nodded. He hoped he was right.

***
Gibbs put his whole heart and soul into taking care of Tony. He took him outside each day, fixed him healthy meals that appealed to Tony’s nonexistent appetite, watched movies with him, and spent lots of time with him. Tony had stopped crying, though Gibbs thought he preferred the tears to this empty shell of a man that was with him now. Tony didn’t speak much, didn’t laugh ever, and barely made it from one day to the next.

It seemed as though Tony had simply given up.

One afternoon, Gibbs sat on the back porch steps with Tony between his knees facing the backyard. He ran his hands down over Tony’s arms, hugging him close.

“Tony, babe you gotta fight this. You have to get better.”

Tony shook his head weakly, tears finally spilling down his cheeks, “don’t wanna,” he whimpers.

Gibbs was taken aback. “You don’t want to get better Tony?”

Tony looked up at him, “I want to get better, want to be with you, but the baby…Jet I miss her so much! I miss my baby; I just want to be with my baby.”

It was the first time Tony had admitted to anyone that he realized the baby was gone, and verbally acknowledged the fact that he missed her and wanted to be with her. Gibbs knew this was important; he knew he had to get this right.

Gibbs cupped his hands around Tony’s face, thumbs catching his tears. “I already lost my first wife, my first child and now my second child. Tony…please Tony, don’t make me lose you too. Don’t think I can handle it if something was to happen to you.”

Tony stared at Gibbs, a shocked expression on his face as though he hadn’t considered that before. The look on his face made Gibbs think he’d finally gotten through to him. “Ok,” he finally whispered.

“Ok? That mean you’ll get better?”

Tony smiled before a yawn overtook him.

“Means I’ll try, Jet. I’ll try.”

Gibbs presses a kiss to his forehead. “That’s all I ask babe. All I ask.”

It was a step in the right direction.

***
Before the funeral, Tony and Gibbs decided they wanted to have their daughter baptized. Gibbs knew a pastor of a local Lutheran church. The pastor of that church was known in the community for his acts of kindness, acceptance and love toward everyone he encountered. Gibbs knew this man would be the perfect person to not only baptize their child, but to perform the funeral service as well.

“Pastor Wilson? Hi it’s Jethro Gibbs. You got a minute?…Yeah I need a favor…”

Pastor Wilson agreed wholeheartedly to help this family traverse through this tragic experience. He gathered at the funeral parlor with Tony, Gibbs, Abby, Ducky, McGee, Kate and Jenny the day before the funeral. He poured water into the baptismal font and recited scripture. He spoke of being a child of God and what a special gift that was. He spoke of entering into the fold with the Good Shepherd. He spoke of Christ’s tears and how he wept at the death of his loved ones.

Pastor Wilson held the baby gently in one arm; the other hand’s fingers just barely skimmed the edge of the water.

“By baptizing this child we are reminded of our own baptisms and we are reminded that we are Children of God. Tesora Angelina DiNozzo-Gibbs I baptize you in the name of the father,” he laid water on her head, “the Son,” he laid more water on her head, “and the Holy Spirit,” and laid water on her head a final time. He crossed the child and those in attendance crossed themselves. “Amen,” they all whispered together. Tony squeezed Jethro’s hand and smiled, ever so slightly.

For the first time since this whole hellish ordeal began, Gibbs finally thought things might eventually be okay.

***
The funeral was a quiet affair. It was in high attendance by some very important people, but Gibbs didn’t care and neither did Tony. They wore crisp black suits and together carried their child’s coffin into the church. They sat together on the front row, Tony leaning hard on Gibbs, Gibbs’ arm firm around his shoulders, unmoving.

When the service was over, McGee and Palmer carried the coffin out followed by Gibbs and Tony. Tony’s eyes were watery and weary, but he didn’t sob and he didn’t speak. Jethro’s silence was stony; a mask of strength that was easy to see through. One hit to the mask would remove it completely.

After the graveside service, Jenny had offered her home as the spot for the reception to be held. Tony and Gibbs mingled and Gibbs thanked people for coming. They shook hands and accepted condolences, but never left arm’s reach of the other. Tony never said a word. Some of the people were concerned"this brazen, outgoing, fun-loving man was so quiet and out of character"toward the end of the event people began asking whether or not Tony was alright, if he was “on something” and wondering out loud if he would ever bounce back.

Gibbs overheard some of the stinging comments and figured it was time to leave. He turned and saw Jenny and Tony sitting together on the couch. Jenny was telling Tony something and Tony was staring into his untouched drink. She put a hand on his shoulder and he nodded slightly. She scooted a little bit closer and wrapped an arm around his shoulders. Gibbs decided to investigate.

“Everyone alright over here?” He joined the two at the couch.

Tony nodded. “Jenny was telling me about her son, Jet,” he said quietly.

Gibbs looked at Jenny, shocked. “You never said…”

“I was in England on assignment when it happened. I gave birth to a son who was stillborn. I told Tony if he needed anyone to talk to besides you that he could always come to me. My door is open to both of you if you want or need it.”

Tony looked up at Gibbs from where he was sitting on the couch. “Can we go home,” he asked quietly. He had dark circles under his eyes and his shoulders were drooping wearily under the strain of the day. Tony was doing much better physically, but he still got tired so easily; Gibbs was surprised he made it as long as he did.

“Sure,” Gibbs responded, equally quietly. They thanked Jenny for her hospitality and for her support and moved to make a quiet exit.

As they were leaving, Abby called out to them. “Guys! Wait a minute!” She rushed over to them. “I have something for you, only I’m not sure it’s something you’re really gonna want, but I wanted to offer it to you anyways and if you don’t want it you can just give it back to me and I’ll keep it ok?”

Tony just looked at her and didn’t say anything. Gibbs sighed softly. “Sure Abs. What ya got?”

Abby reached into her bag and pulled out a small picture frame. It wasn’t large, only a 4 x 6 and the frame was sterling silver with the word “beloved” engraved into it. Gibbs reached out and took the frame from Abby, his breath catching in his throat when he looked at the picture it held.

“Oh Abs…”

Tears spilled from Tony’s eyes and with one arm he reached out and pulled Abby into a hug, and with the other hand he and Gibbs held the photograph of his family up so they could take a better look at it.

“Look at us Jet,” he said, “we were such a beautiful family,” before he could say more, sobs cut off his words. Gibbs pulled him close, the picture hugged in between them. Abby bit her lower lip.

“I didn’t mean to upset you Tony-boy. I just thought"”

After a few moments, Tony pulled back from Jethro and pulled Abby in close and kissed her forehead. “It’s perfect Abs…absolutely perfect. Thank you.”

Tony carefully tucked the picture into the breast pocket of his suit coat and together he and Jethro left, Abby waving behind them.

***
The evening after the funeral, Tony and Gibbs sat in the front porch swing. Tony leaned his head on Gibbs’ shoulder and sighed heavily. The photograph was still in his hands. Gibbs didn’t think he’d put it down since Abby had given it to them.

“I’m sorry,” Tony said quietly.

Gibbs puts his arm around Tony’s thin shoulders and squeezed him affectionately. “Don’t apologize Tony.”

“Sign of weakness, I know. I’m still sorry though.”

“Tony after everything that’s happened, it’s not a sign of weakness, it’s just not necessary. What happened was not your fault. None of this is your fault. Don’t shoulder the blame, love. It’s not yours to take.”

“But you wanted children Jet! I wasn’t strong enough to"”

Gibbs cuffed him lightly on the back of the head. “Hey! None of that. You are the strongest man I know! You’ve lived through things that would have killed anyone else. Your father attacked you while you were unconscious and unable to protect yourself. If it’s either of our faults it’s mine because I wasn’t there to have your six.”

“Gibbs listen to me. Pitt did a hysterectomy.”

“I know that Tony.”

“Then you understand that if you stay with me you’ll never be able to father a child. I can’t give you that anymore Jet! I want to; I tried, I’m so sorry,” he broke down into tears then; damn these hormones, “I’m so sorry.”

Gibbs held Tony close while he cried and waited until he’d calmed a bit before trying to speak to him. “Listen to me Tony. Are you listening?”

Tony nodded.

“Look I won’t lie to you. I would love the chance to be a father again.”

Several tears dripped from Tony’s eyes. “But if I had to choose between having a baby and having you…Tony you’re gonna win every time. I love you! I loved you before we knew you could have children; I love you now that it’s not possible anymore, and I will love you until the day we die and beyond. You’re it for me Tony. You’re all I need.”

Tony looked up at him through watery eyes and almost smiled. “Really?” he asked shyly. Gibbs nodded and chuckled. “You’re too thickheaded for your own good sometimes Tony.”

Tony leaned his head back on Gibbs’ shoulder. He looked at the picture. “I miss her Jet,” he said quietly. “I only knew her for a short time, and not even when I could hold her, but I could tell you everything about her. I love her so much.”

Gibbs rubbed his hand up and down Tony’s arm and pulled him closer. “I know babe. Me too. Me too.”

They sat on the swing for a long time each thinking silently on what might have been, grateful for the presence of the other one.

TBC
End Notes:
Angst ahead, some tissues may be required. Religious references
Retribution by WCUGirl
Chapter 10: Retribution

The morning after the funeral, Gibbs woke to find Tony sleeping soundly beside him. He breathed a sigh of relief"most mornings Gibbs had awakened to find the other half of the bed empty and cold, Tony long gone, pacing the house, looking for something to distract him. Gibbs pulled Tony close to him, and Tony snuggled in tight, repositioning and barely stirring.

“I love you,” Gibbs whispered in Tony’s ear.

Tony mumbled something, but it was muffled against his skin and he couldn’t make it out. Gibbs ran his fingers through Tony’s thick hair and looked up at the ceiling. They were both still on leave, so there was no hurry to get up. Gibbs’ brain immediately clicked into action. He had some calls he needed to make today. There was paperwork to be done and charges to be pressed. The funeral was over; the grieving process was in full swing. The time had come for Gibbs to have his revenge.

Gibbs pressed a kiss to the top of Tony’s head. His lover had been put through hell literally. His body and soul had been forever altered against his will, and for that Gibbs decided Tony deserved some atonement. There would be retribution for those who had wronged his lover. They would pay for what they did.

Gibbs would make sure of it.

***

He hadn’t been in front of his computer long, when his cell phone rang.

“Yeah, Gibbs.”

“Boss it’s McGee. I uh, wanted to let you know…Boss we’ve got Tony’s dad in custody.”

Gibbs was on his feet in an instant. “Hold him I’m coming, you don’t let him out of your sight, he’s a slick bastard he’ll get away if you don’t keep an eye on him.”

“Wait…hold on Boss; Director Sheppard wants to speak to you.”

“Jethro stand down,” was the first thing she said.

“Jenny I want to make that sonofabitch pay for what he did to Tony and to my baby.”

“I know that Jethro, but you are too close"this is only an NCIS case because two agents are involved and SECNAV agreed to let us keep it. But if we screw it up he will pass it over to Sacks and Fornell at the FBI.”

Gibbs paused. Tony hated dealing with the Feebies. He sighed.

“Jethro, I never said you couldn’t work on building your case against him. Press your charges, gather your evidence, work from home and keep a low profile. I will keep you updated. He’s not getting out of this Jethro.”

“Jenny, I…” did he dare say it? “Thanks, Jenny,” Gibbs finally whispered.

Jenny laughed. “The situation must be worse than I thought. Definitely work from home Jethro. I’ll interrogate him myself and call you when I’m finished.”

“Agreed.” Gibbs ended the call. He ran a hand over his face and thought for a moment. Then he got down to work. He had a baby killer to deal with.

***

By the time Tony woke up, Gibbs was showered and in the home-office on the phone. He walked up behind him and wrapped his arms around Gibbs’ shoulders, trying to listen in the phone conversation. Gibbs leaned back against him and tilted the phone so Tony could hear. Tony could make out some of the words, but not all, and what he could hear didn’t really make much sense to him.

He sat down in his own chair and booted up his laptop. He opened his email and grimaced. 68 New Messages. He clicked open the first one and grimaced more.

Tony, sorry to hear about your baby, man. Hope you’re hanging in there. Let me know if I can do anything.

He groaned and clicked the ‘next’ button.

Tony, so sorry for your loss. If you need anything be sure to let us know. The loss of a child is a very painful experience. You’re in our prayers.

“Yeah, because you are such the expert,” Tony muttered, knowing the sender of the email had never even had children, let alone experienced the death of a child.

He clicked through several more messages, all of them basically the same. Sorry for his loss. In their prayers. Need anything let them know. Finally he selected all of the messages and clicked the delete button forcefully.

‘Don’t need anything from anyone,’ he thought to himself, ‘all I need is for my kid to be alive and healthy.’ An unexpected sob tore out of his throat and Gibbs looked up at him concerned, still on the phone. Tony waved him off and left the room. He needed some air.

A few minutes later Gibbs joined him on the back steps. “You alright?” He sat beside him, their arms and thighs touching, gazes drifting out over the backyard.

“Peachy,” Tony muttered, his tears now dry on his cheeks. “Should have known better than to check my email, Jet,” he said quietly.

“Lots of well wishers making the situation worse by trying to be understanding,” Gibbs guessed, one eyebrow raised ever so slightly.

“I had 68 new emails,” Tony said quietly. “I think I read 5 of them before I just couldn’t do it anymore. I deleted them all,” he admitted.

Gibbs put an arm around him. “You made it through more of yours than I did mine,” he said softly. “I had about that many emails too. I read the first one, then deleted all the others.”

They were quiet for a long time before Gibbs spoke again.

“It’s my fault, you know,” he commented casually.

“What is,” Tony asked absently, not entirely paying attention, watching a squirrel in the backyard.

“Everything that happened,” Gibbs said. “I left you alone. Dr. Phillips asked me to come down to the nurse’s station to discuss what needed to happen after you woke up. My gut told me not to leave you, but I thought that for just a couple of minutes it wouldn’t be a big deal. I never ignore my gut…I don’t know why I did that time and look at what you’ve been through because of it…I could have spared you all of this pain…I’m sorry Tony, I’m so sorry,” Gibbs choked out, a quiet sob ripping from his throat.

Tony turned to him, shocked. He wrapped his arms around Jethro’s shoulders, pulling him close. “This isn’t your fault, Jet,” he said. He hugged him tightly, running his fingers through Jethro’s hair. “Everything was going fine"you said so yourself. You had no reason to believe anyone from my family would show up. You couldn’t have known that the doctor put my father’s name on the visitor’s list. He would have still gotten in there, either way.”

“I could have protected you though. I swore to you that I would protect you, would keep you and the baby safe while you slept. You trusted me! When I came back in there…you looked so scared Tony…and I knew it was my fault because I’d left you alone. I didn’t have your six like I promised, and you’ve paid dearly for my mistake.”

Tony shook his head. “No. My father is a mean bastard, always has been. He knew exactly what he was doing when he came in that room. Hell, he even made sure to wake me up before he hit me so I’d know who it was that was doing it. You had no reason not to trust the doctor; you had no reason to fear for my safety for two minutes while you stepped out of the room. I don’t blame you for anything that happened, you hear me? It’s neither of our faults"we’re both the victims here.”

Gibbs nodded and ran a trembling hand over his eyes. Tony kissed him. “You have always had my six. My father would have killed me but you stopped him. You had my six. I don’t blame you,” tears began to leak out of Jethro’s eyes again and he looked away. Tony gently turned his head back toward him and looked him in the eye. Jethro’s lower lip quivered pitifully. “I don’t blame you,” Tony said again, firmly this time, and kissed his partner. He wrapped an arm around Jethro’s shoulders and pulled him close. Gibbs leaned on his lover’s shoulder, thinking vaguely they were playing opposite roles.

They sat like that for a few minutes until Gibbs got himself together again. “Sorry,” he muttered quietly.

“Not necessary,” Tony said, “you lost your child too. I was concerned because you hadn’t really broken down at all. I’m glad you talked to me about it though,” he added shyly.

“I have a plan…”

Tony raised an eyebrow. “This have anything to do with the phone conversation I tried to overhear this morning,” he asked, a grin starting to spread across his face.

Gibbs nodded. “I was on the phone with the Chairman of the Board of Directors at Bethesda. He was very concerned to hear about what happened with you and Tess. He was absolutely mortified when he heard about Dr. Phillips’ part in all of it.”

“Well it doesn’t actually make the hospital look good,” Tony said.

“No,” Gibbs agreed, “it doesn’t. They’re waiving all your hospital bills.”

Tony blinked. “That’s a lot of money.”

“$38,794 is what you would have been expected to pay after insurance. They’re waiving all of it; insurance won’t even be billed.”

“What about Dr. Phillips?”

“She’s no longer employed by the hospital. Her medical license will be under review by the state of Maryland. And I’ve contacted a lawyer.”

“You’re breaking your own rule! Rule number 13 Gibbs…never involve a lawyer…things are bound to turn nasty.”

Gibbs shook his head. “We’re going to have our revenge Tony. I’ve decided to press charges against Dr. Phillips. McGee called just a little bit ago. They’ve got your father in custody. Jenny is interrogating him as we speak. They are going to pay for what they did to us,” he said. The seriousness in his tone nearly made Tony shiver.

“Do I need to file charges too or can we do it jointly?”

“The lawyer said we could file jointly. I wanted to wait and ask you about it, but once the process got started…I couldn’t stop myself. They need to pay for what they did. They need to realize how wrong they were.”

Tony grinned, malice evident in his eyes. “I think that’s exactly what needs to happen,” he said quietly.

***

It didn’t take long for the hearings to begin. DiNozzo Senior’s trial was pretty much open and shut. Protestors had a field day with his trial"some walking around in support of Jethro and Tony bearing signs that proclaimed Senior to be a “Baby Killer” while others paraded with signs in support of Senior saying “Mommies are Women” and “End Fag Baby Making.” Tony shuddered away from the signs as they entered the court house the first day. After that he didn’t spare them a second glance, instead focusing on the task at hand.

Anthony DiNozzo, Sr. was convicted and found guilty of second degree murder, assault and battery, and attempted murder of a federal agent. The jury deliberating on their case took less than an hour to reach the verdict. Tony’s father would be going to prison for the rest of his life. He was not given the death penalty. He was sentenced to live and die in his cell, alone and cut off from every creature comfort he’d attained for himself. It would be a long and lonely sentence"exactly the justice Tony and Gibbs felt he deserved. They’d specifically requested that he not be given the death penalty, even if it was a possibility. Death would be too merciful.

Tony looked at Gibbs. Neither showed emotion; neither smiled when the verdict was reached. Gibbs looked at Tony’s father"the man who should have protected and loved his son; the man who’d caused his only child nothing but pain"and he smiled a very dangerous smile. “I hope you rot, you bastard,” he whispered quietly, not loud enough for even Tony to hear him.

As DiNozzo Senior was led out of the courtroom he looked at Tony. “You filthy faggot! You got everything you deserved! I hope you live everyday for the rest of your life knowing how worthless you are and how much I fucking hate you! I hope you die! I can’t stand"” his words were cut off by the door shutting behind him as the officers led him away.

Shocked murmurs whispered through the courtroom. The judge banged his gavel. Gibbs looked at Tony, expecting him to be upset by his father’s outburst. Instead, Tony had a slight smile on his face, peace in his eyes that hadn’t been there before, if ever.

“You okay,” Gibbs asked softly.

Tony nodded. “He can’t hurt me anymore. He’s gone. Don’t have to hear his shit ever again. The next thing we hear about him will be news of his death.” He smiled slightly at Gibbs. “I can live with that.” Gibbs pressed a kiss to his forehead and led him out of the courtroom, ignoring the press and the cameras.

***

Tony contacted the judge that afternoon. Together they agreed that under no circumstances should the press be notified of anything related to his father or his father’s case once the news of the sentencing was complete.

“The man lives to be in the spotlight. The more you can keep him out of it, the easier the lives of the prison employees will be and the more effective his punishment will be. Even if something were to happen and him be injured or killed or get sick and die or something unforeseen of that nature"don’t alert the press.”

The judge agreed. Not only would Senior not get out of jail, but he would be forgotten by the culture that he thrived on manipulating. Tony smiled. A fitting punishment.

***

The second hearing was not like the first one. This was a civil hearing, not a criminal trial. There was no jury. Because of the publicity their story had drawn, reporters filled the courtroom, notepads and sketchbooks ready to go. The protesters were back outside again, bearing the same signs as before.

Dr. Phillips wept on the stand.

“I just couldn’t imagine how someone wouldn’t want their own father to be on a visitor’s list,” she sobbed quietly. “Then his father came to me and told me how he and Mr. DiNozzo were trying to rebuild their relationship, how they were working things out, how he was so excited to see his first grandchild…I thought that there had been some mistake on Mr. Gibbs and Mr. DiNozzo’s part.”

“Why didn’t you ask Mr. Gibbs to clarify?”

“I did…when he gave me the list I asked him why there was no one from Mr. DiNozzo’s family listed. He told me they had a terrible relationship, and that they were sure Mr. DiNozzo would miscarry if anyone from his family showed up. I thought they were exaggerating…I never in a million years dreamed something like this could happen.”

“So even after my clients told you that they were certain they didn’t want that man’s name on the list, you went ahead, against hospital policy, and added an unwanted name to their visitor’s list. This resulted in Anthony DiNozzo Sr. attacking his son, my client, and causing him to enter preterm labor. Correct?”

She nodded, sobbing quietly into a handkerchief. “Yes,” she moaned, “It’s correct.”

Gibbs rubbed a gentle hand over Tony’s back. Tony’s eyes were wide with shock and his face looked stricken with pain. Silent tears dripped from his eyes and he made no move to wipe them or stop them. With every word their former doctor spoke Gibbs became more angry. Tony should have been safe in this woman’s care. He was so angry he felt he could break his own rule and beat the woman to a pulp, but he knew he’d still be angry.

The lawyer continued, “and after Mr. DiNozzo entered preterm labor what happened?”

“I’m not sure; I was removed from his case.”

“Who removed you?”

“Mr. Gibbs, Mr. DiNozzo’s partner, told me that I needed to find another doctor for Mr. DiNozzo because he didn’t trust me to keep his partner and child safe,” she replied, tones of sarcasm and spitefulness now audible in her voice. She sounded as though she really didn’t understand why she’d been removed from their case.

“Do you blame him,” the lawyer asked dryly.

“I may have made a mistake in allowing Mr. DiNozzo’s father into the room, but I am still a qualified medical doctor, specializing in pregnancies, male pregnancies and child birth.”

“But after you disregarded such simple instructions from my clients, how were they to know you would really act in their best interests? My client already spoke of how you kept him away from his partner for hours on end, even though he begged you to call him back from the waiting area. His partner already told us how you questioned nearly every decision they made and bullied them into making some decisions they weren’t even comfortable with. Why should they have trusted you?”

“Because I’m a doctor…”

“THAT MEANS NOTHING! TELL ME WHY, IN LIGHT OF YOUR ACTIONS, YOUR EDUCATION WOULD MEAN ANYTHING TO MY CLIENTS? WHY SHOULD THEY HAVE TRUSTED YOU?”

Tony startled slightly at the loud bitterness in his lawyer’s tone as he interrogated the woman on the stand. Tony stared at him in awe"he could put Gibbs and himself to shame. Gibbs squeezed Tony’s hand slightly when he jumped. Tony cracked a small smile at him, then refocused his attention on the stand.

The doctor folded under the barrage of questions.

“I don’t know,” she said softly.

“What was that,” the lawyer snapped. “Please speak loud enough for us to hear you.”

“I don’t know why they should have trusted me. Oh God this is just such a mess…I’m so sorry…” she looked at Gibbs and Tony, “I am truly, honestly very sorry,” she said quietly. Neither man responded.

“Let’s go over what happened next,” the lawyer sneered at the woman.

She looked up at him fearfully. Clearly she did NOT want to know what happened next.

“Because of your actions, Mr. DiNozzo’s preterm labor was unable to be stopped. His child was delivered two months prematurely. Because of the attack he received at the hands of his father, there was significant damage done to the placenta, resulting in it rupturing. During the time spent trying to stop the preterm labor, Mr. DiNozzo miscarried the child.”

She gasped softly and her hands covered her mouth, eyes wide in shock. Brad Pitt had done an excellent job of keeping the scuttlebutt down. No one but the few required people were aware of the death of the child. Their jobs had been threatened if the rumors started.

Tony was still crying silently, though harder now, watching the exchange before him. Gibbs reached over and squeezed his hand again.

“It’s gonna be okay, Tony,” he whispered.

Tony didn’t respond. He couldn’t believe the things he was hearing, the clinical sound to everything"it sounded almost pristine, scientific…it didn’t sound as dark and morbid as Tony recalled it being. It didn’t sound as dangerous. He had no doubts the lawyer was getting the job done…he just couldn’t understand the impersonal quality to the account. He shuddered. He needed to get out of there.

The judge noticed. He banged his gavel on the podium.

“This court is in recess. Meet back here in half an hour.” He banged his gavel.

Gibbs led Tony out of the courthouse. There was a park across the street. They sat on a bench; hands clasped tightly together, and were silent as the other members of their family joined them. McGee sat on Tony’s other side and put an arm around his shoulders.

“You alright, man?”

Tony blinked then nodded slightly.

“Jethro, Tony looks to be in a bit of shock. Does his skin feel clammy to you?”

Gibbs nodded and then turned to face Tony. “Tony? Babe? You with me?”

Tony blinked again and shivered. Gibbs took off his sport coat and draped it over Tony’s shoulders. He knelt on the ground in front of him.

“It’s going to be alright, Tony,” he said. It was the same thing he’d been telling him for months now, close to a year. Gibbs was beginning to wonder if he was lying.

“I can’t go back in there,” Tony finally whispered. Gibbs looked at the others, before looking back to Tony. “I can’t listen to it anymore…can’t look at her…I’m sorry, I just…”

“Hey shh…it’s ok…You don’t have to. You can sit out here and wait.”

Tony shivered again in the hot July sun and Gibbs grew more concerned. He looked at his watch. Damn he had to go back.

“Tony I have to go back inside now. Ducky and Abby are going to stay with you, is that alright?”

Tony looked up at Gibbs. “Get her,” he whispered, his voice trembling with rage that Tony hadn’t displayed before now. “I want her medical license, I want her savings account, I want her house, I want her car, her dog, her goldfish, everything she has that is valuable to her. I want her to know what it feels like to lose…to lose everything, and then I want her to go to jail and think about it,” Tony whispered. Tears were streaming down his face and there was a slight bit of madness in his eyes that Gibbs felt matched his own. Tony wasn’t a vengeful person, but in this situation, no one would tell him he was wrong for his feelings. Justice needed to be served here, and it needed to be served swiftly and with huge consequence.

Gibbs kissed him softly. “We’ll get her. But you need to remember you haven’t lost everything. You’ve still got us. You’ve still got me.” He kissed him again. “I love you. I’ll be back soon.”

***

The judge awarded Tony and Gibbs a huge monetary settlement to cover the loss of their child and the damages related to that. The judge revoked Dr. Phillips’ medical license, and decided that the state should bring her up on criminal charges for violation of HIPPA laws as well as being an accessory to murder. Ms. Phillips was taken into custody and escorted out of the courtroom by an officer and led to a holding cell. As the door slammed shut behind her she inspected her quarters, the tiny cot, the stainless steel toilet, the bars surrounding her. They’d given her one phone call, but her lawyer was already with her, so there was no one to call. Her husband had left her when he found out what had happened. She’d called him looking for a listening ear and instead of him supporting her he’d gotten angry and had ended up leaving her, asking her over and over again how she could do such a thing and hurt such an innocent family.

She sat on the bed and put her head in her hands. She had lost everything"her husband, her home, her job, her career, her money was gone, everything…she was completely alone, had nothing left in this world for her at all and no one cared in the slightest. She rubbed her hands through her hair and kept her eyes on the floor. What had possessed her to act so stupidly? She feared she’d never know the answer.

***

As he left the courtroom with Tim and Kate following him, Gibbs smiled. Tony had gotten his wish. Now he could say with confidence that everything would be alright. He collected his lover and his friends from the park bench and they went home. There was much to do.

***

In the criminal trial for Ms. Phillips that followed the civil trial several weeks later, the jury returned to its box.

“We the jury find the defendant, Natalie Phillips, guilty on all charges.”

The judge sentenced her to five years in the Maryland Women’s Facility. She flinched as the cell door slammed shut behind her. Life as she knew it had ended. All she had left was the clothes on her back, and the memory of two devastated parents and a little dead baby.

TBC
End Notes:
Some angst. Some Hate Speech.
Choices To Be Made by WCUGirl
Chapter 11: Choices To Be Made

Tony eventually returned to work on desk duty. It wasn’t long after he returned that everyone started to get to him. At first it was just the sympathetic looks. Then the mothers who worked in the building took it on themselves to come by and ask if he needed to talk to anyone, or if he was doing alright, or if he needed anything and to be sure and let them know if he did. He appreciated the sentiment, really he did, but it seemed as though no one could see that by pointing out that he shouldn’t be ok, they were really making him more “not ok” than he already was.

Gibbs was his rock, supportive when he needed it, able to jar him back to reality when he drifted away, and he always had his six at work. He’d pull Tony into the break room to make him a cup of coffee or he would relocate them to a quieter part of the building to “go over files” when the others started hovering too much.

***
When he’d first returned, Tony had been assigned to desk duty only because he was still ill from all the blood loss and was still recovering from major surgery. Finally he was cleared by his doctors to return to active field duty. Tony was so excited when the call came in that they had a case. He grabbed his backpack and started toward the elevator, purposefully ignoring Gibbs’ smirk, only to be stopped by Kate. It was his first active field case since he’d been five months pregnant, some four months prior.

“Tony are you sure you are ready to go back out? You’re still weak from…everything, aren’t you?”

“No Kate I’m fine, I was cleared by my doctors. I’m good to go!”

She eyed him carefully. “I don’t think I trust you to watch your own six Tony,” she said gently. “I feel like we will all be too distracted making sure you are safe to do our jobs safely.”

That stopped Tony cold. It was his worst (well second worst) nightmare, come true.

Gibbs barked at her to shut her mouth and get moving, but Tony faltered on his way to the elevator. Gibbs, narrow eyed and concerned, told McGee to grab their packs and told Kate to gas the truck.

“Tony? You alright? What’d she say to you?”

Tony shook his head. “She’s right Boss,” Tony whispered. “You guys will be too worried that I’m out there with a death wish to watch your own backs. I should stay here.”

Gibbs’ eyes narrowed even more. “Do you have a death wish Tony?”

Tony’s jaw dropped and his eyes opened wide in shock. “No!” he sputtered. “I do NOT have a death wish! But since everyone seems to think I do, maybe it’s better if I just stay here. Go Gibbs. Your team is waiting for you.” He tried to keep the sneer out of his voice, but didn’t think he did a very good job of it.

Gibbs was torn. He didn’t know what to do. He pulled Tony in for a quick embrace and pressed a quick kiss to his temple. “Be back soon,” he said quietly.

Tony nodded. He watched as Gibbs left and knew that as soon as the doors were shut, he’d be leaving right behind them…

***
Gibbs was actually glad in the end that Tony hadn’t come. They hadn’t expected to find the body of a child at the crime scene. It was moved away from the other body so it hadn’t been noticed immediately by the woman who had found the dead woman’s body. Gibbs could only imagine what Tony’s reaction to seeing that might have been.

The case was pretty cut and dry and they had it closed out by that afternoon. When they returned to the bullpen, Gibbs noticed Tony wasn’t anywhere around. Glancing at the clock, he figured Tony had stepped out for lunch. He had the others finish their reports and turn them in. By the time he finished his own report, he was getting a bit concerned. Tony hadn’t come back yet.

He picked up his cell phone and dialed the familiar number.

Hey you’ve reached Tony DiNozzo, Very Special Agent for NCIS. I’m not available to take your call right now, but if you’d leave your name and number I’ll be glad to get back to you. ~BEEP~

“Where are you Tony? Call me,” Gibbs said quietly into the phone. His gut was churning. He wasn’t mad; he was worried. Where could his lover have gone?

By the end of the afternoon Gibbs was nearly in a panic. He hadn’t heard back from Tony, only knew that Tony had been upset when they’d left him earlier, and no one had seen him leave or talked to him on his way out. It was as though he’d vanished into thin air.

He called down to Abby’s lab.

“Abby’s labby,” she chirped into the phone, “how can I help you today?”

“Abs have you talked to Tony?”

“Not since this morning Bossman, why what’s up?”

“He’s not here. He was gone when we got back from the scene and he hasn’t come back. He’s not answering his phone either.”

“Want me to run a trace on his phone and credit cards?”

“I dunno if it will do any good or not, but yeah, go ahead,” Gibbs replied. He knew Tony was smart enough that if he didn’t want to be found he wouldn’t be. He hung up the phone with Abby and tried Tony’s cell again. Still no answer.

A moment later his cell phone rang. “Yeah, Gibbs.”

“Bossman our Tony is slipping! That or he wants you to come get him. You got a pen?”

“I got it, what ya got for me Abs?”

“He used his credit card to check into a hotel in Georgetown.” She rattled off the name and address of the hotel. “Go get him Boss!” Gibbs hung up the phone without comment. He picked up his keys and jacket and walked out, ordering the others to go home.

***
Gibbs knocked on the door to the hotel room.

“Tony I know you’re in there. Open the door, huh?”

Tony let out a sigh and opened the door. He knew if he continued to ignore Gibbs that he’d probably just kick the door in and he didn’t want to pay for the hotel to replace the door. He’d known that it would only be a matter of time before Gibbs showed up. He’d used his credit card knowing that Gibbs would trace it and come find him as soon as he could.

Gibbs followed Tony over to the bed and watched as Tony curled onto his side, assuming the position that was most comfortable for him while he was pregnant. “Tony what’s up?”

Tony didn’t answer.

Gibbs toed off his shoes and stretched out behind him and wrapped an arm around his middle, squeezing gently and brushing butterfly kisses over the side of his neck. “Talk to me babe,” he whispered, “why’d you leave?”

Tony snorted. “Wouldn’t you have left? Don’t you see how everyone looks at me, how they are all talking about me, how everyone doubts that I can get through a day and how no one thinks I can do my job…Gibbs I’m not even sure I can do my job now! And if I’m doubting myself then I can’t watch your six and if I’m not watching your six because I’m distracted and something happens to you I will never forgive myself! I can’t lose you Gibbs and if I stay I’m only going to get you killed and I can’t stand the thought of that! I can’t"”

Gibbs pressed a kiss to Tony’s lips and cut off his words. “If you choose to go, I’ll understand. We are partners and we have each other’s sixes always. This past year has been really hard…I don’t blame you honey.”

Tony nodded and kissed Gibbs. “I don’t think I can go back,” he whispered, burying his head in Gibbs’ shoulder, tears dampening Gibb’s shirt.

Gibbs pulled him close and kissed his temple softly. “We’ll talk with Jenny tomorrow.”

Tony was quiet for a long moment before he finally sat up and turned around. “Do you know what today is,” he finally asked, his voice dull and sullen. His eyes didn’t meet Gibbs’.

Gibbs thought for a moment. “Mmmm nope I don"ohmygod,” Gibbs whispered. “Today is…”

Tony nodded. “Yeah,” a tear escaped and rolled down his cheek. He looked at Gibbs for a moment then looked back at his lap. “I realized it driving over here…Christ how could I have forgotten?”

Gibbs could have slapped Kate. Today of all days, Kate had to tell Tony how he was weak and how she didn’t think he could do his job…Today…their due date for Tess.

He couldn’t slap Kate (not right now anyway, he’d get her tomorrow) so instead he grabbed Tony and pulled him in close. He felt more tears dampening his shirt and Tony swiped angrily at them.

“Dammit,” he moaned, “why do I keep crying? I hate this,” he whimpered, clinging to Gibbs.

Gibbs rubbed his back and swiped at tears of his own. “Oh my love,” he said softly, “I wish I knew how to make it not hurt so much.”

The two stayed that way for a long time.

***
Gibbs convinced Tony to come home with him. On the way, Gibbs stayed two car lengths behind Tony, watching his every maneuver. He groaned distractedly when his cell phone rang. Glancing at the caller ID he answered it, wondering what this person could want.

“Yeah, Gibbs.”

“Gibbs I have some news you might be interested in…”

***
Gibbs sat in the car for a moment after he pulled into the driveway, contemplating what he had just been told. After everything…after today…could they handle this?

Tony knocked on his car window. He looked tired and drawn. The last year had aged him more than Gibbs would have thought possible. Dark circles ringed the bottom of Tony’s eyes and his shoulders held a slump that wasn’t there before. He’d been battling post-partum depression ever since he’d given birth and had some good days and some bad days. Gibbs knew, from the events at work, the date of today and Tony’s current appearance, this hadn’t been a good day.

He got out of the car and followed Tony inside. Did he dare talk to him about all this tonight? Did he dare talk to him about this at all?

***
“What’s up Jet,” Tony asked as soon as they walked into the house. “You’ve been acting weird ever since we pulled in.”

Jethro took a deep breath. “We need to talk Tony.”

Tony blinked before a look of knowing came over his face. “You do realize those are the four scariest words you can say to begin a conversation, right,” he said, his voice taking on an odd tone. Was it resignation that Gibbs heard there? Tony continued before Gibbs could say anything. “Look Gibbs, I know. This has been tough on all of us. With me leaving NCIS now and everything…I can just look for a new apartment if you want me to…that way you don’t…you don’t have to think about…all this…you can move on ya know?” Tony’s eyes were fixed firmly on his feet, refusing to meet Gibbs’ gaze.

“What the hell are you talking about Tony? That’s not what I want to talk to you about! I love you! I want you here with me forever! I’d never ask you to leave!”

“Then what is it then? What’s got you acting so weird?”

“I got a call from Dr. Pitt on the way home.”

“Brad?”

“Yeah. He wanted me to talk to you…”

TBC…
End Notes:
Some Minor Angst...if you've made it this far you probably don't need me to warn you anymore haha
I'll Never Leave You by WCUGirl
Chapter 12: I’ll Never Leave You

“Tony, I got a call from Dr. Pitt on the way home.”

“Brad?”

“Yeah. He wanted me to talk to you…we need to call him back once we make a decision.”

“Okkaaayy…what’s up?”

“Last night there was a baby born at the hospital. Male pregnancy, teenage kid, disowned by his parents. Huge mess. Then the kid didn’t survive childbirth.”

“The baby’s daddy didn’t survive?”

“No…he was hemorrhaging too badly…they couldn’t get it stopped. He died on the table,” like you almost did, Gibbs added to himself.

“Oh wow that sucks…ok so how’s that affect us?”

“The kid’s family…they don’t want the baby. They told Brad to find the baby a family where it could receive care and love, but where they wouldn’t have to take care of it.”

“Brad thought of us?”

“Brad thought of us,” Gibbs confirmed. “There’s nothing wrong with the baby"he’s perfectly healthy.”

“He?”

“A little boy, yes.”

“What’s his name?”

“The family won’t name him. Right now they’re calling him ‘Baby X’ at the hospital. Brad thinks we should consider the possibility of adoption…since we can’t…since we can’t have anymore kids on our own.”

Tony looked at Gibbs, uncertainty flickering in his eyes. “What do you think?”

Gibbs thought about it for a moment. He knew it was a big decision to make. He knew that it would be good for Tony, but God…if something were to happen to this kid; Gibbs didn’t know what they’d do. Still…

“I think we should at least go talk to them.”

Tony tackled him in a hug and wrapped his arms tightly around Jethro’s neck. “Thank you,” he whispered, as Gibb’s arms wrapped around him just as tightly. “I wouldn’t have asked you to do it, but thank you…thank you…thank you so much,” he said. “When can we go?”

“We can go as soon as you like. All we need to do is phone Brad and tell him we’re coming.”

“Jet…with me quitting NCIS…and the settlement money…and my trust fund…and your income…I don’t need to work do I? I could stay home with him?”

Gibbs smiled. “Wouldn’t have it any other way, Daddy,” he smiled. “Let’s go see if this is something we want to do.” Tony nodded eagerly and Gibbs picked up his keys.

Gibbs knew though, even before the front door closed behind them, that their family would be growing.

He could feel it in his gut.

***
Not surprising, Tony and Gibbs both immediately fell in love with the tiny infant. Brad contacted social services and background checks were started the next day to begin the adoption process. The family wanted a closed adoption"they didn’t want pictures or updates. They simply wanted to know that this innocent child went to a family where he would be loved. They didn’t need to know anymore than that.

Gibbs and Tony collected some information from the child’s birth family"medical history, allergies"things that could be beneficial to the child in the future. The family was pleased that the child would go to two such loving parents. They were a little concerned that his parents would be a same-sex couple, but it wasn’t enough concern to change their minds. After all his father had been…like them.

Tony worked his two weeks notice at NCIS while they waited for the adoption to be approved. Jenny hadn’t been happy when she heard Tony was resigning; she’d been angry with Kate for making the comments she’d made to Tony. However, with the news of the adoption, Director Sheppard couldn’t fault Tony for wanting to stay home with the little one"especially after everything that had happened. They worked out that his last day of work would be the day before they found out about the adoption.

Tony was sad to see this part of his life end, but he was excited to see what the next new chapter would bring him. He counted it as a victory"he’d been with NCIS for five years"longer than any other agency he’d worked for, and he wasn’t leaving town in the middle of the night. He had a home and a family that loved him"he couldn’t imagine being anywhere else.

Finally it came time for the meeting with social services. Gibbs and Tony were approved for the adoption.

A social worker brought the baby in. “He doesn’t even have a name; the family wouldn’t give him one. Two weeks old, and still no name.”

Gibbs reached out and took him from social worker. Jethro smiled at Tony. “What should we name him, Tony?” Tony smiled and looked at their son. “Jackson Donald Gibbs-DiNozzo.”

Gibbs smiled and put an arm around Tony, pulling him close and together they smiled down at their son. They thanked the social workers for their assistance and left to take their baby home. Tony teased Jethro mercilessly about how slowly he drove the car. “This is the most careful you’ve ever been behind the wheel of a car ever Jet! Even when I was pregnant you didn’t drive like this!”

Normally Gibbs would have reacted by swerving unexpectedly or braking too hard. Now he just smirked at his partner and maintained his pace. Tony laughed and stuck his tongue out. Then he turned back to the little person riding beside him in the car seat in the backseat. “You ever going to ride up front again, Tony,” Gibbs quipped, trying to keep his eyes on the road while still watching his lover.

Tony shrugged. “Maybe not,” he smiled down at the baby, fascinated by the tiny form. “Maybe not ever again.”

When they arrived home, the first thing Tony did was fish Jack out of the carrier and take him over to the mantle where the photographs of Jethro, Shannon and Kelly and he, Jethro and Tess were located. He introduced the baby to every person in the photographs who would be absent in the years to come. It was important to Tony and to Jethro that Jack know his entire family.

That night they tucked Jack into his crib together. Tony covered him with a blanket, and swallowed the lump in his throat. Gibbs put a hand on Tony’s shoulder. “You okay?”

“Just never thought I’d get the chance to do this…didn’t think we’d get to have a kid, y’know? Especially after…after everything that happened.”

Gibbs pulls him close in a tight embrace. “We can start putting all that awful mess behind us now. We’ll always love Tess, she’ll always have a place in our hearts…but we have Jack now. He needs us to love him as much as we need someone to love.”

At that moment a very distinct smell wafted up from the crib. Jack didn’t wake, didn’t even stir, and Tony covered his nose with his hand. “Oh…my…god,” he gasped, choking slightly, then chuckled. “What did we just sign up for,” he snickered.

Jethro noticed the little guy was awake again and picked the baby up and passed him to Tony.

“I signed adoption papers, not poop duty forms.”

“Waitaminute, you promised you’d be with me every step of the way!”

Gibbs kissed his cheek and smiled. “I did promise you that. And I’ll never leave you…I’m simply going to the other room to wait for you,” he said sweetly, backing out of the room, a hand covering his nose and mouth.

“Not fair, Jethro! You can’t leave me with…with this! Aww God…uggh it stinksss…”

Gibbs blew him a kiss. “I will never leave you Tony"I have your six…I’m not that much of a bastard…however for that,” he wrinkled his nose and took another step back, “for that you are just the very special agent for the job.”

“Gibbs!”

“We have a new rule Tony.”

“We do?”

“Yep…better learn it now so you can help me teach it to Jack…rule 72, no whining!”

Groans and laughter could be heard echoing through the house.

TBC…
End Notes:
You've wanted happy: Here's your happy! :) Enjoy! 1 more chapter and the Epilogue will be posted next week.
Dear Mr. DiNozzo by WCUGirl
Author's Notes:
Senior gets his
Chapter 13: Dear Mr. DiNozzo…
18 Months Later

Tony had Jack slung onto his hip and together they stopped to check the mailbox as they returned from their short walk. It was a cold winter day, but the sun was shining so Tony still wanted Jack to get outside, even if it was only for a few minutes. He opened the mailbox while Jack tugged on Tony’s ear.

“Gonna check the mail buddy,” Tony told his son.

“Daa-eee c-coooold,” Jack said, giggling and burrowing in closer to Tony and shivering slightly, despite the warm clothing he wore.

“I know! I know! I’m hurrying!” He snatched the stack of envelopes out of the mailbox, slammed the door shut and together they hurried back into the house. Tony tossed the mail onto the table and set about taking Jack’s jacket and shoes off. Once released, Jack hurried off for the den in search of toys while Tony picked up the discarded pile of mail and began flipping through it on his way to the kitchen to warm up some cocoa for him and Jack.

His fingers stopped and his gut grew cold at the sight of the envelope from the Maryland Department of Corrections. He quickly ran to the den and looked at his son playing in the floor. Jack looked up and waved, smiling wildly at him.

“D-daa-eee! Jack-Jack p-paaaayyyyy!” Tony smiled at his stammering son. He couldn’t imagine his life without him. He’d thought he couldn’t imagine life without his daughter too…but at least he had Jack. Jack was his world. He kept his eyes on Jack while he opened the letter from the prison where his father had been sentenced to life, no parole. He pulled out a single sheet of paper, eyed the standard letterhead, and began reading the letter inside.

Dear Mr. DiNozzo,

This letter is to inform you…

The letter fell from boneless fingers before he could read any more and Tony ran to the safe where he kept his gun. That letter had to be telling him that his father had escaped. Tony rushed back to the den and sat on the floor with his back against the couch, so he could see the front door. Jack came over and crawled onto Tony’s lap.

“Daa-eee? Ok Daa-eee?”

Tony blinked and hugged Jack close to him. He pulled his cell phone from his pocket and dialed number 2. A moment later his partner answered.

“Hey Babe, what’s up?”

“I-I need you to come home,” was all he said before his throat closed with emotion and he disconnected the call.

Not quite fifteen minutes later, Jethro entered the house, gun drawn and eyes wide, searching for whatever had caused his lover to call for help. He found his boys in the den, Tony sitting on the floor, Jack sitting in his lap, playing with a car, oblivious to the iron grip Tony had on him, and the gun in his daddy’s other hand.

“Tony?!”

“J-Jet…” Tears coated his cheeks and his eyes were glassy with tears not yet shed.

“Babe…God Tony you’re scaring me…what’s wrong honey? What’s happened? Are you alright? Are you hurt? Do I need to call Ducky? Why do you have your gun, Tony,” Gibbs asked gently, trying desperately to understand the situation.

Tony wordlessly held out the letter and rested his chin on top of Jack’s head. Gibbs read the letter.

Dear Mr. DiNozzo
This letter is to inform you of the death of an inmate, Anthony DiNozzo, Sr. on January 14, 2006. You are listed as his next of kin. Under orders from the Maryland State Court we are not permitted to alert any press of this occurrence. In compliance with the order from the court, we feel it would be best not to disclose here the events leading up to Mr. DiNozzo’s death. Feel free to call us to discuss this further…

Gibbs bit his lower lip. He looked cautiously at his lover.

“You okay, babe?”

Tony looked up at him, his shoulders shaking with quiet sobs. “I didn’t read it,” he said quietly, gripping Jack and the gun a little tighter. “He’s coming isn’t he? He’s gonna…He can’t have my baby,” he whispered, “not again. I’ll kill him,” he vowed. Gibbs laid a supporting hand on Tony’s shoulder and picked up his phone and made two phone calls. One to Abby to please come pick up Jack; the other to Ducky. He returned the phone to its clip on his belt and then moved to help Tony up.

“C’mon babe. Not good for you to be on the cold floor like that. You’re freezing, c’mon.” Gibbs gently removed the gun from Tony’s fingers before helping him up onto the couch. He put the gun in his pocket and pulled a blanket over Tony.

“Why’d you call Abby? She can’t take Jack, Jet! My father, he’ll hurt her to get to him! He’s safer here! What were you thinking?”

Gibbs wasn’t sure why Tony was so scared…nothing had been said in the letter about Tony’s father coming after Jack…but he said he hadn’t read the letter. Tony didn’t know that his father wasn’t coming after him…and after everything his father had done to him maybe it wasn’t so surprising that any mention of his father would bring on this type of reaction.

Gibbs drew pause as he stroked his fingers through Tony’s hair"regardless of what the man had done, he was Tony’s father and no matter how much he’d hurt Tony, all Tony had ever wanted was for his father to love him and approve of him. He’d never get that now. But if Tony hadn’t read the letter then he didn’t know that…

Gibbs watched Tony close his eyes and rest back against the arm of the couch for a moment before he turned around and picked Jack up off the floor and hugged him close. “Hey buddy, you ok?”

Jack nodded distractedly, looking at Tony. “D-daa-eee c-cryyyyy” he murmured.

Gibbs nodded. “Daddy is ok. He got scared, but he’s ok. Everything is alright. What have you got there,” Gibbs asked, indicating the car still in his son’s hands.

“C-carrrrr,” Jack replied, still looking worriedly at his daddy.

“You know what I bet would help daddy feel better Jack?”

Jack looked at Gibbs curiously. “M-meh-cin?”

Gibbs smiled. “No I don’t think medicine will help him.”

“S-sot?”

Tony shuddered and Gibbs laughed. “No needles,” Tony moaned from under the blanket, without opening his eyes. Jack giggled.

“I think a big hug from Jack would help Daddy feel better,” Gibbs suggested quietly. Jack smiled his best million-watt smile and pounced his daddy, giving him the biggest best hug he could. Tony held him close, breathing in his precious baby scent, feeling his warm squirmy body, knowing that he was safe. Jack was safe. Tony would die before he let someone hurt him or take him.

“When do you think he’ll show up here,” Tony asked hollowly, still clutching Jack close to him.

“Tony I think you should read the letter babe. Your father…he died Tony…he didn’t escape. He can’t hurt you anymore.” He pulled Tony and Jack in close to him and hugged them tightly. “It’s all over now,” Gibbs whispered, reassuring both himself and Tony.

The front door opened and a moment later Abby rushed into the room. “Hey guys! Where’s my favorite little man at?” Jack squirmed out of Tony’s grip and sprinted off the couch, climbing Abby before Tony or Gibbs could react. “You okay, Tony-boy?”

Tony nodded from the couch. “I got a letter from the prison my dad is…was in…Just took me off guard. Thanks for takin’ him.”

She looked at them, her expression telling them she was expecting a more thorough explanation soon. “My pleasure. C’mon Jack; let’s go pick you out some pjs! You’re spending the night at Aunty Abby’s house!”

“A-aunnie g-gossy A-Abby p-paaayyy Jack-Jack?”

Abby’s laughter echoed through the house. “Yesssss Aunty Gothy Abby will plaaay with Jack!”

Ducky arrived right behind Abby. “Jethro?”

“In here Duck,” Gibbs called. He was sitting on the couch beside Tony who seemed to be calming down a bit. His color was still too pale though and his hands were still shaking. Gibbs still held him tightly, his chin resting on the top of Tony’s head.

“My dear boys what on earth happened here? Anthony are you alright?”

“His dad died, Ducky,” Gibbs said quietly.

“Oh my dear boy, I’m so dreadfully sorry. That is difficult news to hear. What happened?”

Tony handed him the letter and leaned his head against Jethro’s chest without speaking. Gibbs looked down at him, concerned. “I think you should call them, Tony,” he said softly.

“I agree Anthony. I think you should find out what happened.”

“Ducky,” Tony said quietly, “will you…I mean if you say no I’ll understand, but…will you do…”

“Will you do the autopsy, Duck,” Gibbs said quietly, hand rubbing Tony’s shoulder, anticipating what his partner was trying to say.

“Of course I will. But for that to happen you will need to contact the Maryland Department of Corrections to make the arrangements.”

Gibbs picked up the phone. “Sit up babe. Let’s talk to them and then you can rest if you want to, alright?” Tony reluctantly sat up. Gibbs dialed the number and placed the phone on its speaker setting and laid it on the table. He spoke to the switchboard operator and asked to speak to the warden. A moment later a man’s voice answered.

“Warden,” he said gruffly.

“My name is Leroy Jethro Gibbs, NCIS. My partner Anthony DiNozzo received a letter from you this morning.”

“Ah yes. I’m sorry but I’m afraid I can only speak with him about what happened.”

“I’m here,” Tony said. “I’m Anthony DiNozzo.”

“Mr. DiNozzo, due to the nature of the incident and the order of the courts I am only permitted to speak with Mr. DiNozzo’s family members about what happened.”

“You said I’m his next of kin and Gibbs is my life-partner. That makes him Anthony DiNozzo Sr.’s family as well. Now please tell me what happened.” Ducky stayed quiet, but listened carefully.

“Er, right. Sorry Mr. DiNozzo. This has everyone here a bit flustered. It’s not everyday we encounter this type of altercation.”

“What. Happened,” Tony repeated.

“It seems the inmates were having a conversation among themselves. According to the guards, the day before we found Mr. DiNozzo’s body in his cell he told everyone that he quote, ‘killed his faggot son’s freak baby, and would have killed his faggot son too but his queer partner showed up.’ He went on to threaten the safety of anybody who messed with him.”

Gibbs’ grip tightened on Tony’s hand and Tony closed his eyes, a couple of tears escaping.

“Go on,” he said quietly, all emotion drained from his voice.

“It seems the inmates were not impressed by your father’s crime…the killing of a child, especially an infant seems to break some sort of moral/ethical code among criminals. They were in the courtyard when this conversation happened. Several inmates were overheard threatening your father and warning him about what happens to baby killers in prison.”

“How did he die?”

“Mr. DiNozzo was found in his cell…he’d been beaten severely a blunt object. He died from head trauma. There were cigarette burns and shallow cuts along various parts of his body that lead us to believe he was tortured before he was killed.”

“Who did it?”

“Initial investigations are leading us in several different directions. We have reason to believe the beating was done by another inmate, but we also have reason to believe the guards were aware of what was taking place and offered little or no assistance to stop the attack.”

“How long was he dead before someone found him?”

“Several hours, we believe.”

“Who is performing the autopsy?”

“We didn’t really feel there was a need for an autopsy.”

“I will make arrangements for a medical examiner to collect the body and perform the autopsy.”

“Mr. DiNozzo we really don’t feel that"”

“You said I’m listed at his next of kin?”

“Yes. That’s correct.”

“Then listen to what I tell you. And I’m telling you a medical examiner will be there to collect the body. His report will be submitted to your agency as soon as it is completed. We’re done here.”

“Mr. DiNozzo, I…I’m sorry for your loss.”

Tony snorted. “That makes one of us.” He closed the phone and rose from the couch. Jethro moved to follow him but Tony held up a hand. “I…I need some time,” he said softly before leaving the room. Ducky and Jethro swapped a look of concern and uncertainty; they didn’t know how to help Tony with this.

xxx
Later, Tony and Gibbs were lying on their bed. Tony was staring at the picture of the two of them with Tess and a more recent picture of the two of them with Jack. Gibbs was concerned; Tony had been very quiet ever since he’d gotten off the phone with the prison.

“Tony…are you alright?”

Tony’s head rested on Gibbs’ shoulder and he was lying on his back. Tony looked at up him. “I’m…” he paused. What was he? “I’m mad as hell that he still has that much control over me. I opened that letter and the first words I saw were, ‘this is to inform you’ and I just knew the bastard had escaped. This crazy, raw, overwhelming fear just took over and I had to protect Jack…I can’t let anything happen to Jack, Jet. He’s…and after everything that happened with Tess I just…it was too much,” he whispered. “I couldn’t read the rest of it. I’m sorry I made you leave work.”

“Hey…shh…I understand. I’m glad you called me Tony.”

Tony looked back at the pictures. “Is it bad that I’m not sorry he’s dead,” Tony asked glumly.

“Not at all babe,” Gibbs replied quietly, kissing Tony’s forehead and running his fingers through Tony’s hair, “not at all.”

Tony set the pictures on the nightstand, stood up so he could see them still. He turned over onto his side and put his head back on Jethro’s shoulder. Gibbs’ arm automatically wrapped around Tony and his fingers teased a path on Tony’s bare shoulder. It wasn’t long before Gibbs could feel Tony’s tears hitting the bare skin of his chest. He didn’t say anything, knowing Tony hated breaking down, especially with an audience. After a few minutes, the tears stopped and Tony drew a shuddering breath.

“J-jet?”

Fingers continued their mindless pattern. “Yeah, Tony?”

“Tell me it’s going to be okay…I mean…He’s really gone right? He really can’t hurt us anymore?”

Gibbs closed his eyes, his heart wrenching at Tony’s fears, though unsurprised by them. He took a deep breath and let it out slowly, confident in his reply.

“Tony your dad really can’t do anything else to hurt us or Jack. We’re all safe now.” Tony looked up at him and smiled. He kissed Jethro softly.

“Thank you,” he whispered, lying his head back down.

Gibbs smiled and pressed a kiss to the top of Tony’s head. “It’s all going to be alright now Tony,” he said.

For the first time in as long as he could remember, Gibbs didn’t feel like he was lying when he said it.

TBC with Epilogue
End Notes:
Some angst.
Epilogue: Jack's 3rd Birthday by WCUGirl
Epilogue: Jack’s 3rd Birthday

Danny Banks had worked at NCIS for eight years. In that time he’d seen a lot of things. He’d seen envelopes filled with the pneumonic plague be delivered, seen the trauma of agents being killed while undercover, seen Internal Affairs do investigations on agents trying to understand their actions. He’d heard stories of car bombs, terrorist bombs, prostitution rings, drug trafficking, and mafia crimes. He’d seen the agents bearing injuries resulting from those various attacks. But in all his years of service, he’d never seen anything quite like this…

Everyone was shocked when Tony DiNozzo resigned from his position as Senior Field Agent on the Major Crime Response Team at NCIS. He cited personal reasons as the cause, but everyone knew what had led up to his resignation. Most people were sad to see the funny, outgoing agent leave; others were glad to be rid of the nuisance. Everyone was affected by his absence though, yet none so much as Leroy Jethro Gibbs.

Everyone knew the man was a bastard. What they didn’t know was how tame Tony kept him while he’d worked under him. Now with Tony gone…everyone stayed out of Gibbs’ way. The man had a chip on his shoulder"his best 2IC was gone, wasn’t coming back, and he’d had to train a new probie. He still had Kate Todd and Tim McGee, but Kate just wasn’t DiNozzo, though she tried to be. She’d been promoted to 2IC when Tony left, much to Jenny and Jethro’s dismay. After the way she behaved Gibbs really didn’t feel as though she deserved it. Jenny pointed out though, that she did have enough years of service in, and Tim simply wasn’t ready. SecNav would never approve of hiring someone from the outside when there was someone ready to go on the inside. There was some bitching around the water cooler that Kate had let her position go to her head. McGee knew enough tricks to play to keep her mellowed out though, but some days he missed Tony so much he was tempted to call and beg the man to return.

Tony was still visible around NCIS. Occasionally there would be a crime that needed a fresh set of eyes. Gibbs would call Tony in to look at the evidence and, more often than not, his insight would lead to the crime being solved and the suspect being apprehended. More often than that though, Tony would show up with his and Gibbs’ son, Jack, and together they’d take Gibbs out to lunch. Like today.

Danny Banks received a grin and a wave from the former agent as he strode confidently in the door, through the metal detectors and waved his permanent visitor pass at the guards. Gone were the days of DiNozzo’s well known designer suits and fancy ties. They had been replaced by well fitting jeans, fashionable sweaters, comfortable button down shirts and sneakers or sandals if the weather was warm. In the hand opposite the visitor’s badge was the hand of a little boy. Jack Gibbs-DiNozzo was about three years old now. He spoke with a slight stammer, wouldn’t quite look anyone in the eyes yet, but his smile would light up the room and he’d talk to anybody all day long about monster trucks (“m-monser t-tucks”) and fast cars. He was the light of his daddies’ eyes and there was nothing in the world that this child lacked for. He wasn’t spoiled though, like some kids. He was balanced and friendly and did what he was told without back-talking or questioning.

Danny watched as the pair entered the empty elevator. He saw the numbers climbing up to the third floor where they stopped. Tony was visiting Gibbs today. Must have a lunch date. He knew they’d be up there for a few minutes, then they’d take the stairs down to the forensics lab to say hi to Abby then they’d hop back on the elevator, stop it, be there for a few minutes, and then resume trekking down to the main floor. It was predictable. It happened the same way every time and today was no different.

He couldn’t help himself but to watch as the elevator doors swung open and Tony reappeared with his crew. Gibbs was entirely different when his family was there"the lines of his frown disappeared and his eyes nearly glowed with emotion when he looked at his family. Night and day difference from when he was working here without Tony close by. The muscles in his shoulders relaxed and for once he didn’t have the never-ending-cup-of-coffee with him.

“Have a good lunch, Gibbs,” Danny called out to them as they walked towards the door.

Gibbs stopped and turned around to Danny. The look on his face was inscrutable, but Danny didn’t back down. Then Gibbs smiled and Danny nearly died from shock. Gibbs NEVER smiled at anyone at the office. Except Abby or Dr. Mallard.

“Taking the rest of the day off today Danny,” he said easily, the smile not leaving his face. “Gotta go hang out with my boys. Today’s Jack’s birthday. We promised him a trip to the National Zoo.”

Gibbs looked down as a small hand tugged on his pants leg.

“Daddy-Too you g-gotta c-come on! D-daddy s-said w-we gotta h-hurry!”

Danny couldn’t resist. Maybe he had a death wish. Who knows. “Daddy-Too,” he asked Gibbs.

Gibbs knelt and picked up his son. “Well see Danny when Jack was learning to talk and was learning to name people, we’d ask him over and over ‘who’s that, who’s that,’ and we’d point to Tony and we’d point to Ducky and we’d point to me and anyone else who was around.”

He got Jack’s attention. “Hey Jack, who’s that over there,” Gibbs asked, pointing at Tony.

“D-daddy,” the little boy stuttered out, looking at his Daddy-Too as though it were obvious.

“And who is this,” he asked, pointing at himself.

Jack giggled and pointed at Gibbs. “That Daddy-Too!”

Gibbs looked at Danny. “He’s got Tony who is his Daddy, and he’s got me who is his Daddy, too. Get it?”

Danny smiled. “I get it,” he said, completely floored by how personable Gibbs was being. How human.

“Hey Daddy-Too will you kindly get your a-s-s in gear so we can make it to the z-o-o on time please? SOMEbody has an n-a-p to take this afternoon and I’d like for that to not happen while we’re at the z-o-o!”

Danny laughed at Tony spelling words to Gibbs. “Guess you oughta go, Gibbs,” he said.

Gibbs nodded and squeezed his boy. “Say goodbye Jack.”

“G-goodbye J-jack,” the little boy parroted back to his daddy-too. The gleam in his eyes was unmistakable.

“That’s my boy,” Tony called as he walked toward the door. He paused when he noticed Gibbs and Jack were still lagging behind. “Boys come on we’re not going to make it in time if you don’t hurry and you are taking your precious sweet time getting out the door today,” Tony’s voice took on a pleading tone. His eyes were dancing though. Danny knew Tony was loving this.

Jack turned to Gibbs, still in the older man’s arms, eyes wide in what appeared to be shock. He cupped his daddy-too’s face in his hands. “D-daddy-Too! D-daddy b-breakin’ a rule again!”

Gibbs raised his eyebrows, as did Danny. “What rule is that, Jack,” Gibbs asked him, trying to keep the laughter out of his voice, the corners of his mouth trying to quirk up in a smile.

“R-rule senny-two…n-noooooooo w-whining D-daddy,” the little boy called after Tony.

Tony rolled his eyes and opened the door. “Yeah, yeah, just what I need. Gibbs and his Mini-Me reminding me of the rules.”

As the door shut Gibbs headslapped Tony gently across the back of his head. Tony looked at him and smiled and Jack giggled and patted his Daddy’s shoulder from Daddy-Too’s arms. The smile on Gibbs’ face was brighter than the sun, and with his free hand he pulled his partner close, wrapping an arm around his shoulders as Tony’s arm snaked around his waist. Gibbs pressed a kiss to Tony’s temple and smiled. Tony returned a kiss to Gibbs’ jaw and then they both tickled Jack and the little boy laughter followed them until they were out of sight.

They were such a happy family. Indeed, Danny Banks had never seen anything like it.

The End
End Notes:
I hope you enjoyed!
This story archived at http://www.ncisfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=4249