SCORNED by Shron
Summary: Someone from Tony's past comes back hell-bent on making him miseriable.
Categories: Other Het Pairings Characters: Abby Sciuto, Anthony DiNozzo, Donald Mallard, Jeanne Benoit, Jenny Shephard, Jimmy Palmer, La Grenouille, Leroy Jethro Gibbs, Original character, Timothy McGee, Ziva David
Genre: Action, Alternate Universe, Angst, Drama, Episode Related, Hurt/Comfort, Romance
Pairing: Other Pairing
Warnings: Disturbing imaginery, Drug use
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 13 Completed: No Word count: 33635 Read: 69884 Published: 07/08/2012 Updated: 09/27/2012
Story Notes:
I will be taking liberties with the timeline but everything will fall in place. This is my first attempt at NCIS fiction so try to be kind but let me know what you really think.

1. Chapter One - Meeting the Team by Shron

2. Chapter Two - Looking Back and Moving Forward by Shron

3. Chapter Three - Facing the Past by Shron

4. Chapter Four - The Domino Effect by Shron

5. Chapter Five - The Best Laid Plans by Shron

6. Chapter Six - Complications by Shron

7. Chapter Seven - Seeing Realiity by Shron

8. Chapter Eight - Discovery by Shron

9. Chapter Nine - Questions by Shron

10. Chapter Ten - More Questions by Shron

11. Chapter Eleven - Finding Answers by Shron

12. Chapter Twelve - More Answers by Shron

13. Chapter Thirteen - Recovery? by Shron

Chapter One - Meeting the Team by Shron
Author's Notes:
Someone from Tony's past comes back hell-bent on making him miseriable.
Chapter One - Meeting the Team

The bullpen at NCIS headquarters was practically empty which was common on a late Friday night. There were a few scattered agents spread out in various sections of the bullpen preparing to end a long day with the exception of three. All three were more than familiar with long days and overnighters. They had just returned to headquarters and seated themselves at their designated desks. Their section of the bullpen was located near the base of stairs leading up to the Director’s office and the MTAC ready room. They were all busily working on their reports while their Boss was up in the Director’s office conducting a debriefing with him and the SecNav.
**************************************

Special Agents Anthony DiNozzo and Timothy McGee as well as Ziva David the former Mossad Officer now an American citizen, as well as the newest NCIS Agent on the team having completed her probational period. Their team leader was Leroy Jethro Gibbs and they were the team who got the top priority cases because that was their job and they were very good at their jobs. Gibbs’ team in fact held the record for solved cases and set the standards high for other NCIS teams to aspire to.

Senior Field Agent Tony DiNozzo was the second in command on Gibbs’ team his uncanny insights and street smarts as well as his availability to work any witness or suspect into a state of calm made some of their most difficult cases relatively effortless. He also had an unnatural ability to remember the smallest details and piece together the most diverse cues. Tony also hide some hidden qualities and a couple degrees.

Special Agent Tim McGee was a computer whiz, with multiple degrees. There wasn’t a computer or data base he couldn’t hack into or a hard drive he couldn’t crack to retrieve and disentangle the contents.

On those rare occasions when he was stalled, he got assistance from forensic expert Abigail Sciuto. She answered to Abby and she had earned the reputation as the best forensic technician on the East Coast. Between Abby’s expertise and Dr. ‘Ducky’ Mallard’s specialized abilities as the NCIS Medical Examiner there wasn’t a single detail missed in any forensic examination or autopsy. They could establish the cause and circumstances of any death they were investigating.

Special Agent Ziva David had become a major asset to the team with her Mossad training and background. The contacts she had established over the years were a definite plus.

Last but not least there was Senior Special Agent Leroy Jethro Gibbs team leader, Ex-Marine sniper, hard as nails and twice as demanding. He demanded nothing but the best and that’s exactly what his team delivered. His friends called him Jethro and his subordinates called him ‘Gibbs’ or ‘Boss’ being referred to as ‘Sir’ irritated him.

Their latest case was another major on taking even though some of the preliminary legwork had been started by the Agent Afloat on board the Seahawk…a group of midshipmen had tried to used the property of the United States of America’s Navy to smuggle drugs between three ports right under the watchful eye of the newly assigned NCIS Agent Afloat Sean Morgan. The previous Agent Afloat Peter Hammond had died in a freak accident that killed two other seamen as well. Seemingly his lost footing and the fatal fall that followed took him to his death also claiming two lives as he landed below. Three broken necks.

Apparently somewhere during the transition between Hammond’s absence and the arrival of their newly assigned Agent Afloat a scant few weeks after the accident…an intricate plan was implemented or escalated that involved several unlikely suspects. There were at least two or three officers involved in the illegal operation with a small group of midshipmen or that’s what they originally believed.

The Seahawk was the same ship Special Agent Anthony DiNozzo was assigned to as Agent Afloat after a brief stint on the USS Ronald Regan about four and a half years ago.

Morgan had become suspicions after being on board for only a little over two weeks. He was beginning to just settle into a regular routine of his own design. The job wasn’t new to him; the Seahawk was his second extended assignment as an Agent Afloat and he took his job very seriously. While Morgan was rearranging his quarters he found a couple dust covered file storage boxes in the back of a one of the closets. He discovered that the files belonged to another previous Agent Afloat…one Anthony DiNozzo.

Morgan had heard the name before DiNozzo was an agent currently working in D.C. with MTAC under the legendary Senior Special Agent Gibbs. DiNozzo had to be someone special considering he was Gibbs’ Senior Field Agent and he was the longest surviving member of his team. Gibbs had a reputation for being a hard-assed case-driven bastard who went through agents during his earlier years like water through cloth. Morgan’s curiosity had gotten the best of him…so he started reading over the information contained in files. He discovered a well thought-out checklist DiNozzo had left behind.

DiNozzo had prepared the list in such a way that made his daily routine more practical…with the checklist he could cover several departments at one-time. Hammond had placed the files away when he should have been using them. The procedures outlined in the files were still being used even though a few years had passed. The Navy wasn’t big on changing things especially when they seemed to work.

Morgan studied the checklist carefully comparing his notes and exploring how useful the materials could be to him. He had his own way of doing things but he wasn’t inflexible, as he read on he decided that DiNozzo’s methods could maybe work better than his own, a lot better and they did…as he started implementing them into his daily routine he starting making some unexpected discoveries.

Morgan called DiNozzo to get his assessment of Peter Hammond. DiNozzo said he had only spoken briefly with his replacement years ago and that he had never met the man personally. He also said he suggested that Hammond read over his notes and take a look at some of the previous reports in his files…suggested that they may be helpful but Hammond didn’t seem interested and kind of blew him off…DiNozzo recalled Hammond’s hastily ending their conversation even though he was the one who initialed it.

DiNozzo said, “There was some kind of ruckus in the background maybe that was why Hammond’s call just ended.” He hadn’t heard from him after that.

Morgan told DiNozzo he had read over his notes, reports and procedures and that he was more than impressed with his thoroughness. Tony said, “Thanks, glad to be of help.” Morgan asked or stated, “I heard that you expressed an utter dislike for your assignment as Agent Afloat but it didn’t seem to stop you from doing an exceptional job while on board.” “Mind if I ask why you disliked the assignment so much?”

Morgan had heard rumors that it had something to do with the sudden change in NCIS Directors. Whether it was true or not it didn’t really matter but his curiosity had gotten the best of him yet again.

DiNozzo hesitated before saying, “That’s a very long story maybe one I’ll share some other time if we get a chance, I’ve got a major case I’m working on right now and I can’t really talk much longer.” Morgan decided not to push. They talked for a few minutes more allowing Tony to answer a couple more questions about his notes before he thanked Tony again and they both said their ‘goodbyes’.

Morgan smiled briefly thinking about their conversation...even though he had never met Tony personally; he liked the guy, especially considering how much his diligent was helping to make his job a lot easier. After all he had left a tool behind that was more than thorough…and it made him wonder even more why Hammond hadn’t used it and other information Tony had provided instead of leaving it stored away in the back of a dusty closet. He was more than thankful it wasn’t disposed of or destroyed.

Tony’s checklist had proved to be extremely useful.

Morgan found unexplainable discrepancies in the departmental reports he received both daily and weekly from one Lieutenant Commander in particular. He also spotted several irregularities that lead him to a large stash of drugs in a storage area that was supposedly decommissioned and deemed off limits by that Lieutenant Commander…the same storage area was suspiciously near where the freak accident that ended Hammond’s life had taken place.

Morgan left his discovery untouched and discreetly set up a series of cameras to monitor the area inside and out from several angles when he noticed a pattern and regular active where there should have been none.

Morgan didn’t know the number of conspirators involved at the time but there had been the Lieutenant Commander in the thick of things. The reports contained too many discrepancies that otherwise would have signaled red flags, actually should have but they were being overlooked or so it seemed. They weren’t really obvious to regular personnel but an officer somewhere along the chain of command should have noticed…or maybe not…the Lieutenant Commander was covering all the bases…except the one’s DiNozzo’s checklist pointed out. That’s what made Morgan look a lot closer. Why Hammond hadn’t come to the same concludes was a mystery in itself. Morgan wondered was Hammond involved…was he covering up the operation or did he make a discovery that cost him his life…and was that freak accident…really an accident.

Slipping and falling several feet to one’s death was possible he supposed but taking out two seamen at the same time was just odd. Why hadn’t they moved? And three broken necks…Morgan had more questions than answers. Morgan sighed as the reality hit him. He had no way of knowing if Hammond was involved or murdered.

The volume of drugs being stored and transported on what was now the naval vessel he was responsible for prompted a call to Director Vance’s office. He really needed some serious backup before the ship arrived at the next port…they were scheduled to dock shortly. And he also knew whatever was going on was too much for him to handle alone.

TBC
End Notes:
I will be taking liberties with the timeline but everything will fall in place. This is my first attempt at NCIS fiction so try to be kind but let me know what you really think.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property Shron. Shron is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.
Chapter Two - Looking Back and Moving Forward by Shron
SCORNED - Chapter Two

Morgan returned to the privacy of his office and set up a secured connection to NCIS Headquarters in Washington, DC. His called was routed to Director Leon Vance. He proceeded to fill the Director in on his findings making sure to mention how DiNozzo’s checklist had lead him there. He said, “Sir, I’m going to need some discreet help and soon we are scheduled to dock soon.”

Director Vance agreed with his assessment so he was sending his best team. Vance had checked over the information Morgan forwarded and discovered an ‘in’ before calling Special Agents Gibbs and DiNozzo to his office.

Vance apologized for the lack of downtime between cases but the Carrier ship was due to dock in less than fifteen days. Gibbs and DiNozzo were given the details and copies of Morgan’s files. They were then told the team had approximately three hours to get packed before they reported to MTAC for a complete briefing. Where they would be issued their cover ID’s and everything else they needed to proceed with the operation.

Gibbs’ team would then report to transportation and broad the ship under the guise of Regulations Inspectors doing a previously scheduled inspection that was postponed due to deaths Agent Hammond and the two seamen. The inspection was canceled to make way for a NCIS investigation.

The lead agent from that investigation had his suspicions as well but there wasn’t any concrete evident to support his suspicions…so the case was reluctantly closed and classified as accidental deaths.

Gibbs turned to Tony and said, “DiNozzo go brief Ziva and McGee make sure they know when to report back.” “Double check the arrangements then go get yourself ready.” DiNozzo nodded and said, “On it Boss,” as he stood nodded at the Director and exited the office. Senior Field Agent Anthony DiNozzo was less than pleased.

Tony DiNozzo was exhausted and the hard kicks he had taken his chest and abdomen made his entire body ache. His muscles always ached when he let himself get rundown…the pain seemed to linger for days. And he was definitely rundown and he was definitely in for days of pain. Although it had been several years since he had the plaque the scar tissue that formed and damaged his lungs still remained to taunt him especially when he got into tussles with suspects that couldn’t accept the inevitable. Most of the time he managed pretty well and his lungs didn’t bother him as long as he kept up with his treatments, ate healthy and didn’t over do…which wasn’t an easy task most days.

Tony was working out regularly and running at least eight miles a day to build-up his stamina when he had time…but cases like this one didn’t allow for one’s personal needs. There was little time to rest, he wasn’t eating properly or getting any real exercise unless you considered tracking down leads and chasing down stupid suspects. His hour long respiratory treatments prescribed by Dr. Pitt after the bout with pneumonia he had after diving into a freezing bay to rescue Gibbs and his daughter Kelly’s childhood friend…had been reduced to fifteen or twenty minutes or completely ignored. Dr. Pitt had even called him because he noticed his refills hadn’t been used and were way overdue.

Dr. Pitt had read him the riot act reminding him of how he nearly killed himself performing CPR on two people with damaged lungs. Not the mention the freezing bacteria filled water that entered said lungs. Tony tried to explain his current situation but Pitt dryly remarked ‘how difficult it would be chasing down leads with an oxygen tank strapped to his back.

McGee called out to him and he turned his head a little too quickly and said, “Ow,” as a twinge of pain assaulted his neck. McGee said, “Are you okay Tony?” Tony said, “I’m fine Tim what did you want?” as he rubbed the back of his neck trying to work out the kink and relief some of the stiffness he was obviously exhibiting…he definitely wasn’t fine.

Ziva looked from McGee to Tony and sighed. Something was off about Tony and it had been since the case landed in their laps…but it was more than just fatigue from running back to back cases or the injures he had gotten tackling one of suspects who tried to run. The kicks to his body had knocked the wind out of him momentarily but his anger and determination made the suspect pay for his misguided attempt to escape.

Dr. Mallard ‘Ducky’ cleared Tony who had suffered from some bruising on his chest and abdomen but the suspect ended up taking a trip to the hospital for several stitches.

The expression on McGee’s face let Ziva know he was thinking the same thing.

McGee blinked at the sound of his given name and immediately thought to himself, ‘Tony wasn’t acting at all like Tony.’ In fact Tony hadn’t been acting like Tony for a while now and it had gotten worse since they started this case.

Tony had changed over the years or maybe he just started acting less immature, keyword acting. Tony still lighted the mood when need be during especially hard or complicated cases. But now there was painful sadness in Tony’s expressive eyes all the time…it was obvious it wasn’t just physical. He couldn’t help noticing the change that had taken place in the last month as he stood up and walked toward Tony’s desk…McGee was worried and it showed on his face.

McGee didn’t see the look often but it came with a brooding and depressed Tony. He hadn’t called him anything but McGee or an occasional Probie for some time. There were no ‘McAnything’ else. There hadn’t been many smiles if any, there were no jokes practical or otherwise and not a single movie reference to break the tension. McGee knew how hard Tony had taken being assigned Agent Afloat right after Director Shepard’s death. Tony blamed himself for her death and he never hid the fact how much he hated every minute he spent aboard the Seahawk but that had been over four years ago. Tony’s reaction as they approached transportation on their first day out obviously brought back painful memories.

Tony worn many masks and let people see only what he wanted them to see. The ‘at times unbearable womanizing frat-boy’ persona was no more than an act he hid behind to protect himself. It had taken McGee a while to figure that one out but he didn’t have any doubt he was right…and he now knew how truly complex Tony DiNozzo really was.

Tony hid his feeling and downplayed his intelligence…he thought he was so much smarter than him but he was just as wrong about that too.

Tony knew more about technology than he let on…a lot more…those random suggestions Tony made when he and Abby got stuck were just too perceptive to be random. And Tony always managed to come up with leads when they reached a dead end or thought they had.

McGee also accidently discovered to his surprise Tony had degrees in Criminology and Criminal Psychology when he was framed for murder and they had to make inquiries into his personal life and past. Tony with his ‘street-smarts’ and other assets was probably the best investigator on the team maybe even in NCIS including Gibbs. Tony could read people better than anyone he knew maybe it takes someone who wears many masks to see through others, he wasn’t sure of that but he was damn good at seeing what other’s including himself missed.

Tony was just as complicated as his life had been the last four years. All the ups and downs would have pushed a lesser man over the edge. Tony had barely survived a critical chest wound and a second fractured collarbone as a result of haven’t been shoot twice. He had been forced into a command position as team leader when Gibbs just relinquished his position without notice.

McGee had to admit he, Ziva, Abby and even Ducky did little to help him adjust, in fact they fought against him as much as possible. Tony finally called a meeting in Autopsy one morning and put an end to it. He read each of them like opened books calling them out, forcing them to accept the realization that Gibbs was gone and he was still there trying to do a job. He demanding that they make a choice. They all thanked God; Tony had given them a choice when they really didn’t deserve one.

Tony’s command was ripped from him as abruptly as it was forced upon him. His beloved car had been blown up and he had fallen in love with a mark on an undercover opt. He had been arrested, interrogated and processed after being framed for murder and accused of murder as acts of revenge. The Director of NCIS was killed under his watch and he was shipped out as Agent Afloat without notice…but through it all he continued to show them just how good he is at his job.

Tony and Director Jenny Shepard had developed a close working relationship…McGee didn’t fully understand the relationship between them but it had undeniably changed after Gibbs left for his hiatus in Mexico. He could tell Tony was loyal to her and that her death had shaken him badly. Going back to the Seahawk must have brought some buried feelings back to the surface but there was something else going on with him and he wasn’t sure what it was but it had something to do with Jeanne Benoit the woman he had fell in love with while undercover. Tony had received messages from her before and each time he became somewhat withdrawn but this time was different.

Tony had been carrying a letter from Jeanne around with him for over a week just before they got the assignment that returned him to the Seahawk. The letter had arrived a few weeks after they finished a case that returned an infant to her parent. The case also sent a father to jail for murdering his son’s girlfriend and a sailor that was in the wrong place at the wrong time which Tony figured out almost immediately. Tony knew right away the case was all about ‘family’ and the sailor just didn’t fit in. When they were rapping the case Tony had gotten soaked by an automatic sprinkler for the second time. McGee had turned on the fireplace in the automated house belonging to the infant’s parent to warm and dry Tony, he watched as he tossed an envelope in the flames and stared at it for a long moment before joining Gibbs, Ziva and himself across the room. Gibbs simply said, “Family,” as if it explained everything.

Tony starting changing after that case, he became more focused about everything. And Tony almost single-handed solves several cases so quickly they were beginning to think he was psychic. Then the letters started to arrive and Tony became unfocused not entirely, he was still pulling the proverbial ‘rabbit out of a hat’ when it came to cases and getting them solved in record time but personally he was a wreck. He wasn’t eating or sleeping, until Gibbs yelled, “DiNozzo my office now,” as he walked toward the elevator. Tony groaned and followed Gibbs, the doors slid closed and the elevator stopped. Thirty minutes later they emerged from the elevator both expressionless.

Tony walked over to his desk and set down as Gibbs did the same. Gibbs said, “McGee go get lunch, bring DiNozzo soup.” McGee stood and said, “On it Boss,” as he headed for the elevator.

Tony took the infamous letter out, read over then put it in his desk drawer and locked it.

Tony stood grabbed a file Gibbs apparently needed and one he needed to take to Abby. He handed Gibbs the file and said, “Boss I’ll be right back… Abby needs this file,” Gibbs nodded and he walked away…according to Ziva.

Tony returned fifteen minutes later meeting McGee at the elevator. Tony took one look at McGee and said, “I’m fine Tim don’t worry,” as McGee handed his a bag and said, “Ok Tony its Minestrone.” Tony smiled said, “Thanks,” and headed to his desk. McGee handed Gibbs and Ziva Italian subs before taking his seat. They ate in silence then returned to work. It was Friday around six when they all headed home. Monday morning Tony walked in with coffee for everyone except for Ziva who received tea which she preferred and a bag of croissants. He had already taken Abby a Caf-Pow and a chocolate croissant her favorite. Tony was back or so it seemed. McGee was still wondering what was said during Gibbs’ and Tony’s private conversation.

Tony continued typing his report as he ignored McGee’s approach and the pensive expression he worn, he was determined to finish before he left for the night. He glanced at the time in the lower right corner of his computer screen and sighed… they had finally wrapped up the case from Hell and he was worn out and it was getting later and later. The case had more twists and turns than a California mountain highway. He wanted to complete the report while everything was fresh in his mind, even though Gibbs said it could keep until Monday and he knew the fatigue was getting the best of him. They were off rotation and didn’t have to report back until Monday but Tony knew if he didn’t finish the report that night his attention to detail would have faltered. Apparently McGee and Ziva felt the same because they all sat down and started typing as soon as Gibbs climbed the stairs to the Director’s office.
************************************************

Tony could imagine Gibbs wearing a smirk hearing the movement behind him before he entered the Director’s office and closed the door. He had given them an option but he knew the reports would be completed and on his desk by the time he returned.
**************************************************

Gibbs wondered what was keeping DiNozzo upright…he had really stepped-up on the case. He was the one that discovered who all the players were and what really happened to Agent Afloat Peter Hammond and the other two seamen. They were murdered; Hammond actually stumbled into the operation and opted to take a cut with the help of the two seamen that died with him.

The case had churned up some bad memories but it didn’t stop DiNozzo from doing a damn fine job. DiNozzo started out shaky…almost loosing it as they approached the transport helicopter but once he boarded he pulled himself together so quickly it nearly gave them whiplash and then he just took charge as expected. DiNozzo wasn’t his Senior Field Agent without good reason.

Gibbs tried to get DiNozzo alone to talk but he had been avoiding him after their very intense one-sided conversation in the elevator. He had basically told DiNozzo to deal with the damn letter and move on…after some very colorable words about his current behavior. He also told him he was tired of the slow suicide through neglect. He mentioned obvious lack of sleep and his weight loss. He threaten to force feed him if he didn’t eat something. And he demanded that he get some sleep over the coming weekend. Tony only response was a whispered, “On it Boss,” as he looked down at the floor. Gibbs had tried but couldn’t get DiNozzo to open up even after he forced him into the elevator corner and blatantly invaded his personal space.

Gibbs was determined to find out what was bothering him now that the case was all but wrapped up. DiNozzo needed to get some rest first his questions would keep until Monday.

TBC
Chapter Three - Facing the Past by Shron
SCORNED - Chapter Three

McGee was now hovering over Tony and it was unnerving him…he knew McGee wanted to talk but he didn’t…he just wanted to finish his report and go home. Tony stopped typing and turned toward him and said, “What?” making no effort to hide his irritation. McGee said, “Sorry Tony…I just wanted you to review my conclusions, Gibbs said I put in too much technical jargon in my reports.” Tony shook his head and said, “Give me five minutes, I’m almost done then I’ll take a look…okay…now move and let me finish.”

McGee said, “Thanks Tony,” as returned to his desk and double checked the evident list to kill time. Tony completed the list before he started his report and it was flawless as usual…McGee marveled at his recall and thoroughness. He was constantly throwing his degrees in Tony’s face but he couldn’t do half the stuff he did to wrap a case.

Gibbs had opened their briefing saying, “Aircraft Carriers are the centerpiece of the U. S. Navy called upon to protect American interests around the world and no one has the right to ever disrespect their station or undermine their mission.” “We’ve got drug smugglers on the Seahawk that may have involved one of our own.”

Naval personnel smuggling drugs aboard a Carrier pissed him off. Everything about the case pissed him off…and the fact that a dead NCIS Agent Afloat was looking more and more involved didn’t help. And he had been killed in what now looked like a very suspicious freak accident. Tony hated cases involving drugs and drug dealers they usually turned out messy.

************************************************

They were walking toward the helicopter and all of a sudden Tony felt like he had been kicked in the gut. His time as Agent Afloat had only lasted a few months but it felt like forever to him...he liked his feet placed firmly on dry land. He equated the Seahawk with punishment, his punishment for a bad judgment call, even though it wasn’t entirely his call to make, he was following Director Shepard’s orders, orders that turned out to be her last before she was killed in a shootout. A shootout that shouldn’t have happened…had happened and Jenny died as a result.

Why Jenny called Gibbs’ mentor and former Boss, Mike Franks still puzzled him.

Why not him he was right there? Why not Gibbs?

Ziva wanted to disobey Jenny’s order to stand-down from the beginning, she wanted to follow her instincts but he fought against it until it was too late. And that decision had landed him in the middle of a vast ocean where he sometimes felt like he was drowning in the guilt and completely alone. That had overwhelmed him but he had to do it…Tony didn’t have a choice if he wanted to remain a Federal Agent with NCIS.

Gibbs and everyone else even Ziva kept saying ‘it wasn’t his fault’ everyone except Director Leon Vance. Vance held him personally responsible even though he assured Gibbs is wasn’t punishment…it sure as hell felt like it was to Tony.

Almost all the memories that had plagued him for so long…the ones he thought had almost dissipated except for an occasional reoccurring nightmare. 'He would see himself pressing a gun to Jenny’s temple and pulling the trigger.' Over the last few years they had reared their ugly heads from time to time but at least he wasn’t waking from them covered in sweat, shaking and barely able to breathe. They were at a manageable level or at least they had been until he was approaching the massive transport helicopter with the rest of Gibbs’ team heading for the Seahawk.

The image flashed in his mind and all the guilt flared-up inside him.

Everything that happened prior to the Agent Afloat assignment came rushing back. And if that wasn’t enough, he was remembering every detail of his time as Agent Afloat that made him miserable. He remembered how much he had hated the constant roaring sound that assaulted his ears. He remembered how much he hated being the only cop on a floating city of over five thousand without any backup, even though he had been lucky for the most part.

There were fights one of which landed him in sickbay for a couple days, a stabbing during an unauthorized poker game, numerous drunk and disorderly cases every time they stopped at a port, a doctor just a little too willing to dispense pain killers for his taste and a few other minor infractions during the four months making it a vitally uneventful tour of duty…except for an occasional panic attack.

****************************************************

Tony was approaching the landing strip when he stopped dead in his tracks freezing in mid-stride. He closed his eyes against the onslaught of memories that threatened to completely overwhelm him. He could feel the anxiety inside him building steadily even after all this time. He zoned out and stared blankly at the helicopter and swayed slightly as a wave of dizziness made his head spin. He grimaced and mumbled to himself, ‘Shit, get a grip DiNozzo,’ as his heart rate accelerated and his breathing hitched. He knew the signs all too well; he was heading for a full-blown panic attack…right there in front of Gibbs, Ziva, McGee and everyone else standing there…waiting for them to board.

Tony tried to focus on the present as he inwardly screamed again ‘DiNozzo get a grip dammit,’ as he pushed himself to shake the feelings assaulting his brain in rapid fire and tried to make himself move forward but he still couldn’t move.

McGee’s hand on his shoulder was a welcomed distraction that snapped him out of the darkness about to consume him. McGee said, “Tony you okay.” Tony slowly opened his eyes to see the concerned looks on the faces of his teammates, even Gibbs as they surrounded him and blocked the view of the other bystanders.

Gibbs expression and easy tone was unexpected but welcome he didn’t think he could handle anything else…like one of his usual angry responses. He shook his head attempting to clear it. Gibbs stepped directly in front of him and grabbed both his shoulders as he said, “You with us DiNozzo?” without any hint of anger.

Tony nodded unable to swallow the lump in his throat. Ziva handed him a bottled-water and said, “Breathe Tony and take slow sips.” Tony felt like a fool but he did as instructed as Gibbs released him. Gibbs said, “Ziva, McGee go ahead and board.” When they hesitated slightly, Gibbs barked, “Now!”

Gibbs then reached out and grabbed Tony arms to steady him as both McGee and Ziva reluctantly did as ordered. He said, “DiNozzo talk to me, what’s going on with you?” “Why didn’t you say something in the elevator.” Tony took a deep breath and said, “Sorry Boss, I’m fine now let’s go,” as Gibbs gave him a skeptical look and said, “DiNozzo?” Tony said, “Really Boss I’m fine, we’ll talk I promise I’ll explain everything, just not now, please,” as he snapped himself out of the anguish that was claiming him.

Gibbs said, “Ok Tony, for now.” They put on their flight helms and walked across the short distance to board the helicopter. Tony nodded at McGee and Ziva before he took his seat and closed his eyes.

Gibbs had been worrying about Tony for a while, he wasn’t acting like himself but he knew pushing him for answers right now would be just as futile as it was back in the elevator a few days ago. Tony was stubborn and independent, he wasn’t use to asking for help or accepting it. He was usually able to work through his own problems but whatever was bother him now was too much. His best friend Abby couldn’t even break through the armor.

DiNozzo remembered the last time this happened to him. He had only been on the Seahawk for five days, when he heard a fight break out in the passageway right outside his quarters. He had to break up the fight and maintain order that was part of his job after all.

The seamen were both out for blood and they both outweighed him by a good twenty or thirty pounds maybe more and he was on his on with no backup around. They had both slammed his into the bulkhead more than once trying to get to the other before he got pissed and remembered every move Gibbs taught him to take down a bigger opponent.

The sore ribs and mild concussion he received rattled him. He wondered who’s bright idea it was to put one cop in a city of five thousand…he had to handle this himself.

While the two seamen were being carried to sickbay he ducked back into his quarters. His head was throbbing but he figured it was no big deal…when he reached back to check his head he felt the wet spot. He looked at his blood covered hand and suddenly the realization of how alone he was set off a really bad panic attack. The fact that he was outnumbered overwhelmed him and he hyperventilated himself into state of unconsciousness.

Luckily he was found after he didn’t report to sick bay. He was on the floor of his quarters unconscious and bleeding from a gash in the back of his head a result of connecting with the bulkhead. When he came around after what he guessed was a few minute with an oxygen mask covering his nose and mouth, the doctor said, “Agent DiNozzo you with me…this won’t require too many staples.” DiNozzo whispered, “Call me Tony,” and closed his eyes.

Tony woke up in sickbay the next day. The doctor determined that the unconsciousness was caused by the concussion but Tony knew better…it was the lack of oxygen during a panic attack. They only lasted a few minutes but they left him jittery and on edge. He had been rushed out of D.C. so quickly after Jenny Shepard’s funeral his mind was still spinning and his emotions were crushing him. He was on a ship at sea surrounded by strangers with no one to talk to, no one that could help him work through the pain or cope with the guilt.

The only good thing he remembered was his regular work-outs sessions after his ribs stop hurting, it wasn’t that he was out of shape, he was a runner. But with the new muscular and toned body he developed he faired a lot better when the next fight broke out. Plus running wasn’t really an option on the ship.

******************************************************************

When he heard the particulars of the case he knew Agent Morgan needed help but it didn’t make things any easier for him. Tony could tell Morgan was a good agent right away and it wasn’t just because Morgan appreciated his checklist.

Their earlier conversation had given both of them some insight into each other’s persona. They would work well together sharing their experiences. Morgan had done a lot of the preliminary work when they arrived, so Tony hoped and prayed for speedy conclusion. But his prayers went unanswered.

The case was a lot more complicated than they first realized…there was another Carriers involved and three ports of call to cover. Once they lined up all the players the investigation ballooned. It took three and a half very long weeks, 20 hour days and additional manpower to cover all the bases…while making the whole operation look like no more than routine inspections. They had to keep the suspects unaware of their real purpose for being there as long as possible.

The timing had worked in their favor because they were simply able to take the places of the scheduled inspection teams.

Gibbs became the Senior Field Supervisor coordinating the whole operation and Tony as his Senior Field Agent and second in command was right by his side every step of the way.

Gibbs gave Tony a lot of responsibilities like he always did and he became the real coordinator…charged with keeping everything in prospective. When they landed before they started to unload, Gibbs pulled Tony aside. He looked at him seriously and said, “DiNozzo I need you a hundred percent with me on my six.” “Can you give me that?” Tony simply nodded an affirmative and got right to work supervising the unloading of the helicopter.

Tony had already familiarized himself with the personnel files of the suspects on the helicopter after he pulled it all together.

Tony got the assignment for all their quarters. He then made sure everyone got settled and knew what to do before he met up with Gibbs again. They had a meeting to attend with the ship’s officers and Tony was ready to field all the questions. Gibbs couldn’t suppress the smile that formed on his face as he watched Tony put everyone at ease included their main suspect. He was so convincing that if Gibbs didn’t know better he too would have believed this was no more than a routine inspection.

Tony knew he had to step up no matter how miserable he felt. His memories of the past were simmering just beneath the surface painfully, constantly reminding him of his self-imposed shortcomings. His time as Agent Afloat had made him feel lonely and dejected, Jeanne Benoit hatred or love for him confused him and Director Shepard’s death all made him feel off balance but he had a job to do.

Tony wasn’t the glue that held everything together…there were few smiles and no jokes to release the tension. He wasn’t playing his usual role for the team’s emotional wellbeing he was all business and everyone including Gibbs noticed…and everyone stayed just a little edgy. He couldn’t slip into that role and keep his demons at bay at the same time.

When everything came rushing back when they got the case he wasn’t ready, it was too soon after speaking with Jeanne…she asked him to choose her over everything again…She wanted him to walk away from his life and the only real family he knew and he couldn’t do it…not even for her. She said she had something very important to tell him but she refused to discuss it over the phone. She wanted to meet with him but then the case came up and he had to cancel. She didn’t accept his excuse.

The hurt and anger in her voice broke his heart all over again. He still loved her but that wasn’t enough…he couldn’t let the other people in his life down.

When things were finally winding down and they had almost all the suspects in custody and loaded on the transport van, Gibbs cornered Tony and asked him if he was okay. Tony just nodded and voiced his trademark ‘I’m fine’ and tried to escape Gibbs scrutiny.

Tony was avoiding eye contact with Gibbs and watched the final group of suspects being lead to the van as he said, “Look Boss…Gibbs it’s really nothing I’m just tired and…,” cutting himself off as he broke into a run when one of the suspects darted after successfully knocking the two guards attempting to cuff him to the ground in a tangled heap.

Tony was right on his heels and made a flying tackle bringing them both down hard. They struggled and the guy delivered two hard kicks to Tony’s body but it didn’t stop him from apprehending the suspect. He used his full body weight and a couple moves Ziva taught him and got the best of the guy. He delivered two brutal body blows making the man groan in pain and then he landed a vicious blow with his elbow to his temple that took him down.

Tony ignored the blood dripping from the cut on the side of the suspect’s head as he jerked him to his feet after he forcibly flipped him over and cuffed his hands behind his back. Tony leaned in close after snatching the suspect around to face him and said, “You try anything else and I won’t be so gentle next time,” with a glare that would have made Gibbs proud.

Tony had been the first to react but now the other agents were headed in their direction being lead by Agent Afloat Morgan. The two who the suspect jumped were right behind him looking ready to kill. Agent Morgan frowned as Tony winced in pain obviously hurting. He took custody of the wayward suspect and handed him off to two agents behind him who forcibly pulled him away leading him back to the van.

Tony groaned and bent forward holding his side gingerly. Morgan said, “You okay Tony? Tony said, “Not really,” as Morgan patted him on the back as he continued to lean forward. Tony took a deep breath which he quickly regretted making his chest ache ever more. He straightens up to his full height and swayed slightly. Morgan grabbed him by arm to steady him and said, “Whoa man.” Tony said, “Thanks,” as he looked up to see Gibbs approaching after he waved McGee and Ziva off. Tony mumbled, “Oh shit,” under his breath.

Tony winced more as he watched Gibbs approaching with an intense scowl on his face. Gibbs looked him over carefully and said, “Go let Ducky check you out and we’ll talk later.” Gibbs didn’t miss the pained look on Tony’s face and he also didn’t miss how much it deepens when he said ‘we’ll talk later.’ Whatever the hell was bothering Tony had to be resolved it didn’t keep him from doing his job so he had to let it slide just a little longer during the case but the case was all finished except for the paperwork and he wasn’t going to let it slide much longer.

Gibbs watched as Morgan helped Tony over to the ME’s van. After Tony and Morgan exchanged some words they both grinned and Morgan walked away saying, “It was a pleasure working with you DiNozzo…take care I’ll see you around.” Gibbs marveled at how easily Tony seemed to make lifelong friends.

Tony movement was slow and painful as he seated himself in the back of the ME’s van and waited for Dr. ‘Ducky’ Mallard, to walk over after speaking with Gibbs. Ducky instructed him to unbutton his shirt and relax as he placed an oxygen mask over his nose and mouth. Tony did as instructed and zoned out as the pure oxygen replenished his aching lungs.

TBC
Chapter Four - The Domino Effect by Shron
Chapter 4

Tony closed his eyes as he let his mind wandered…thinking back he realized when it all started. When his life went in a tailspin spiraling downhill…it had been the terrorist attack aboard that freighter. They were there to extract an agent from a deep undercover assignment with the terrorist cell they had been investigating for over a month. The plan was simple…Gibbs was supposed to meet with him during a passport check, arrest him and gather the Intel but unbeknown to everyone the agent’s cover had been compromised…in fact he had been killed and Gibbs was being lead into a trap by the terrorist that assumed his identity.

Gibbs was caught in an explosion that didn’t take his life but it placed him in a coma and robbed him of fifteen years. He awoke trapped in the past…confused and angry. He didn’t remember anyone on the team including his oldest friend Ducky. Mind you it was only temporarily but the consequences were devastating and definitely longer lasting.

Gibbs was reliving the greatest tragedy he had ever faced in his life, the deaths of his first wife Shannon and his eight year old daughter Kelly. They had both been murdered by a drug runner after Shannon had witnessed the same man committing another murder early that very week. Even though, they were placed in protective custody by NIS they were killed in a car accident when the assassin’s bullet took the life of their protector the driver.

They died while Gibbs was in Kuwait fighting for his country and unable to protect his family shortly after he had just barely survived a bombing attack that also placed him in a similar coma…that one hadn’t effected his memoir as severely. Then with everything feeling like it happened yesterday instead of years ago the ‘preverbal straw was placed on the camel’s back’ and Gibbs broke. Gibbs the strongest man Tony knew had shattered…along with his confident and his drive. He couldn’t do it anymore.

Tony never found out what Ziva had said or done but Gibbs was abruptly forced back into the present. Gibbs managed to remember everything the terrorist had taunted him with before he set off the explosives that had landed Gibbs in the hospital and trapped in the past.

Gibbs armed with the Intel needed to stop the planned attack had burst into MTAC to be ignored.

The governmental bureaucrats had already made their decisions and they had no problem sacrificing over thirty men on the freighter to prevent the subsequent planned terrorist attack. Tony watched in disbelief as the freighter exploded before their eyes…he turned to see a shocked and frozen Gibbs before he left and headed back down to the bullpen.

Gibbs was livid and he quit NCIS, just like that. After he stormed out of MTAC and descended the stairs he took a brief look around the bullpen before he stopped in front of Tony’s desk. He stared at a dazed Tony DiNozzo still reeling from what he just witnessed and said, “You’ll do,” before he asked Dr. Mallard for a ride home.

Tony suddenly found himself forced into a position neither he nor anyone else on the team wanted him in, including Abigail Sciuto, their forensic expert and Dr. Donald ‘Ducky’ Mallard their ME.

Tony took the body blows in stride constantly being compared to Gibbs and hated because he wasn’t and couldn’t be but it didn’t stop him from holding the team together whatever it cost him personally. He finally decided enough was enough and rounded them all up in Autopsy. He told them all what they were doing to him and their relationships one by one releasing every ounce of anger and frustration he was holding. He wouldn’t allow any of them to speak he just told them to ‘make a choice.’ and left them standing there with their mouths hanging open literally.

The memory still pained him…but after a few missteps everyone including Tony figured out he was more than capable of being a team leader even if he wasn’t Gibbs. Things started to settle into a relaxed routine. Tony hadn’t missed a beat and the team’s solve rate remained more than solid and they even resolved over half a dozen Cold Cases.

Then Director Shepard recruited Tony for a need-to-know undercover assignment to snag an infamous arms dealer code named LaGrenouille, the ‘Frog’ using his daughter Jeanne Benoit as bait.

Tony didn’t like the idea of using the man’s daughter but he was an International Arms Dealer and a threat to his country. Tony also didn’t know at the time that the operation was more personal for Director Shepard than it should have been and probably wouldn’t have been sanctioned if the Director had gone through the proper channels. He found out too late that Jenny’s main motivation was the blame she had placed on LaGrenouille for her father’s apparent staged suicide. And he also found out too late how deeply in love he had fallen with Jeanne. Tony felt just as used as Jeanne when it was all over.

Then after Gibbs returned for Ziva David at her request when she got framed for a terrorist plot still unable to trust him fully and a mishandled case of Gibbs and FBI Agent Fornell cropped up before he sold his house, he stayed and retook his position as team leader abruptly as he left.

Tony, McGee and Ziva exited the elevator to find Gibbs sitting at his old desk sporting a mustache and usually long hair. They wondered if he was lost at first but then there was Michelle Lee standing there in obvious shock. She had been a member of Tony’s team and apparently Tony no longer had a team. Tony and McGee’s personal stuff had been moved back to their previous desks, Michelle was standing with box in hand and a lost look on her face in the middle of their area of the bullpen and that was that.

Except it wasn’t exactly, Tony was still on a need-to-know undercover assignment and according to the Director; Gibbs didn’t need to know. She had offered him his own team in Rota, Spain half-heartily, she wasn’t ready to drop the LaGrenouille case and he refused the position just like she expected him to. Another thing that bothered Tony at the time was Gibbs…he didn’t believe he was a hundred percent ready to return to duty even though he had easily re-qualified. The occasional slips when Tony was called McGee and Ziva was called Kate just confirmed Tony misgivings.

So Tony found himself placed precariously between two masters, equally stubborn, unrelenting, demanding and unyielding. Tony was being pulled in opposite directions constantly and he felt like he had been expertly played and if that wasn’t enough the migraines returned with a vengeance.

He hadn’t suffer from them since his early twenties.

Falling in love with Jeanne Benoit while on what became a blown undercover operation to get her arms dealing father, lying to Gibbs and the rest of the team and still paying the price for that deception…losing the trust of his colleagues, being accused of murdering Jeanne’s father by her, standing before her as he lied about his feeling for her… Ziva had said, ‘Tony be a man’ so he tried to tell her, ‘I’m sorry you got caught in the middle of all this’ and she replied, ‘Was any of it real…Tony’ and his heart shattered even more as he replied, ‘No,’ thinking he was doing what was best for both of them. Then hearing Jeanne say, ‘I wish I never met you’ almost floored him. He went home that evening showered and slipped on a pair of sweat pants and settled into his misery.

He was sitting along in the dark with tear-filled eyes when there was a knock at the door. He growled in angry…he had told everyone he needed to be alone. He didn’t care who it was…not even Abby his best friend was welcome…he didn’t need any well-meaning friends…not right now.

Tony yelled, “Whoever you are please go just away!...please,” but the second ‘please’ was too soft to be heard. They knocked again and Tony stormed to the door and snatched it open…to be surprised by Jeanne Benoit standing before him. She didn’t speak as she pushed pass him and turned to face him after he closed and locked the door. He was standing there wearing nothing but sweat pants with a hole in his heart and tear-filled eyes afraid to move, afraid to speak.

Jeanne stared at him for a moment before slapping him hard across the face. Tony felt the sting but still didn’t move as the tears he was barely holding back rolled down his cheeks. Jeanne raised her aching hand to slap him again but stopped herself and whispered, “Liar,” before she pushed him against the door and kissed him passionately.

Tony wrapped his arms around her and returned the kiss vehemently as his mind screamed, ‘DON’T.’

They broke apart breathless and stared into each other’s eyes before Jeanne said, “Make love to me Tony.”

Tony didn’t hesitate ignoring every instinct he possessed…he just lifted her up in his strong arms and carried her to his bed.

They somehow removed her clothes and his sweats without breaking contact. Tony gave her everything he had to offer…his heart and soul…making love to every inch of her body. They were both overwhelmed by the heat and desire burning between them. Their moans and cries of pleasure were the only noises in the apartment as they made the most passionate love they had ever shared. Both taking and giving every part of themselves to each other until they climaxed together.

The climax was the most powerful one he had ever experienced…it was unlike anything that either of them had ever experienced before. They melted into each other’s embrace until Tony remembered the weight of his body pressing against her smaller frame…it would be too much for her. So he rolled on his back and pulled Jeanne on top of him and kissed her softly before he drifted off into a peaceful sleep. He vaguely remembered Jeanne whispering, “I love you, lair…”

Tony woke up hours later cold and alone.

Jeanne was gone…he thought he had been dreaming at first but then the sting from her hand against his cheek was still there and the sheet of paper lying next to him said, ‘Goodbye LIAR’ letting him know it was all much too real. He pushed himself up and tried to stand but his legs wouldn’t hold him upright. He slid to the floor and pulled his knees against his chest, bowed his head and sobbed. He knew he wouldn’t be able to find her…when she left before he tried everything and couldn’t.

When Jeanne wanted to be found was when he would see her again.

He whispered, “God help me…I’m sorry Jeanne.”

**********************************************************

Tony finally collapsed from exhaustion…he was both emotionally and physically drained. When he woke up hours later his whole body ached. He pulled himself up and stumbled into the bathroom every muscle protesting every move. He didn’t recognize the man who stared back at him in the mirror. He thought he had pushed that man deep inside him months ago when Jeanne first walked out of his life…but when she returned so did the pain.

Being excused of murder didn’t sit well with him whether it was a carefully planned frame or a blatant lie. He hated himself for what he had done to her…and he didn’t blame her for the revenge she leveled on him. ‘Love him then leave him,’ he felt like his heart had been ripped out all over again.

Tony spent the next two days punishing himself, grateful the team was off rotation until Monday. He ate to survive and slept when he could, thankful for the exhaustion that allowed him to sleep. He started and ended the days with long runs that made his lungs ache so much it masked the pain in his heart.

Exhaustion had become his only true friend…as each day passed he pushed himself on until he forced the pain of losing Jeanne back deep inside.
Tony woke up early Monday morning and took a short run before breakfast that consisted of eggs and toast. He then showered, shaved and dressed in one of his favorite suits, shirt and tie…with his mask firmly locked in place he headed to work. He arrived early and greeted the others with a smile on his face that didn’t reach his eyes as they arrived.

The look in his eyes had dared them to question ‘how he felt.’ He talked to Abby via IM knowing he needed to avoid direct contact to keeps the thin threads holding him together in place. His ‘well-meaning’ best friend would destroy his walls and rip away his masks.

When he thought faith had dealt him all the pain he could handle Jenny Shepard was murdered.

The death of the Director of NCIS, Jenny Shepard and being assigned Agent Afloat for four grudging months of Hell which her replacement Leon Vance claimed wasn’t ever a punishment; all came rushing back again and again.

Officially it wasn’t punishment but wasn’t it…the previous Director was killed on his watch. It didn’t matter that he was flying blind; no one had informed him that foreign operatives from her and Gibbs past were out for vengeance.

The headache he had been sporting all day was getting worse, his nerves were shot and his stomach was doing somersaults in a very unpleasant way.

And now Ducky was poking and propping him. And Gibbs wanted to talked, could this day possibly get any worse.

Ducky said, “Anthony?” Tony sighed and opened his eyes.

TBC
Chapter Five - The Best Laid Plans by Shron
Chapter Five

Special Agent Anthony DiNozzo was unconscious and stripped naked. His motionless body was placed on the cold steel table in the center of the operating room in the abandon clinic.

The doctor was looking over every inch of his naked body obscenely admiring what was before her eyes. His body was made of long, lean, toned and well-defined muscle…there wasn’t an ounce of visible fat on his body. Tony’s face was incredibly handsome.

You could see the strength in his arms, legs and thighs. The defined pectoral muscles beneath the smooth tanned skin of his chest and the six-pack gracing his abs completed the package even in its current bruised state. He looked even better than he did the first time she meet him…the surveillance photos she had seen of him didn’t do him justice…the man was absolutely gorgeous. She most likely would have been impressed if it wasn’t for the disdain and contempt she held in her heart him. She had wanted to kill him, she had dreamed of killing him but she wasn’t a killer she was a doctor, a healer. And she had promised her daughter no permanent harm would come to him, but that didn’t mean she couldn’t make him suffer.

So she decided that was exactly what she would do…make him suffer. Her plan had been set in motion and time was growing short, everything was in place and Anthony DiNozzo needed to know what real pain was. He needed to suffer like her daughter had suffered for months after he had toyed with her heart before he shattered it into a million pieces…and given her a constant reminder of his deception.

The medical instrument tray next to the exam table was ready with all the supplies she needed to make Anthony DiNozzo miserable. The doctor knew things about the human body that she could use to inflict incredible amounts of pain without leaving any detectable marks on his body and by the time they figured out what was happening it would be too late to erase the suffering. No she wasn’t a killer but she would make him wish he was dead.

Dr. Berkley was prepared for everything…she had purchased the secluded clinical laboratory equipped with all the medical supplies she needed. She had discreetly purchased the chemicals she would use. And she had hired the best help money could buy. Kidnapping a Federal Agent was a tremendous risk but after what he had done, no risk was too great and she had all the money and resources she needed to pay for both loyal and silence.

Stephen Cooper, John Sims, Martin Kelley and David Michaels were tall, muscularly built, and ruggedly handsome men that looked like a cover shot from a Solider of Fortune Magazine.

The four men she had hired were professionals, skilled in their use of black opts procedures; both Ex-Marines and Navy Seals and they didn’t ask questions they simply followed orders if the price was right or so she thought. Dr. Berkley, Jeanne Benoit’s mother turned to Stephen Cooper, the team leader and said, “You were given specific instructors, why are his chest and abdomen bruised?”

Cooper’s expression was impassive as he looked her directly in the eyes and said, “The man’s a Federal Agent that just wrapped up a difficult drug smuggling case.” “Perhaps he got into an altercation or something with one or more of the suspects he just arrested,” making no effort to hide his sarcasm. “We couldn’t exactly follow him to a drug bust while it was going down, just like we couldn’t take him before he was scheduled to report to the Seahawk could we doctor?” as he arched his eyebrow at the smirks plastered on his men’s faces behind her. She huffed and walked away visibly failing to hide her obvious irritation.

Stephen Cooper was an Ex-Marine and he didn’t tolerate stupidity. The woman was a brilliant doctor, clearly irrational at times but she was paying him and his team an insanely large amount of money to do a job but it didn’t mean he had to like her or the job.

DiNozzo was an exceptional agent, he wasn’t easily impressed but after months of watching the man work he admired his diligent and dedication. He probably didn’t deserve any of this but a job was a job…wasn’t it?

The doctor wasn’t forthcoming with her motivations but he listened to her occasion rants about DiNozzo, he concluded DiNozzo had apparently broken her daughter’s heart, one Dr. Jeanne Benoit.

****************************************

Taking Special Agent Anthony DiNozzo outside of his apartment building unseen was almost too easy. They had been watching the man for so long; they probably knew him better than he knew himself. They were monitoring his every move by piggy backing on his own equipment.

DiNozzo’s last three weeks had been spent putting in 20 hours days, catching quick naps at his desk, catching flights, barely eating enough to nourish a small child and generally neglecting his personal health while he and his team brought down a drug smuggling ring operating on two Carrier moving between three ports of call involving an NCIS Agent Afloat, four Midshipmen, two Chief Petty Officers, an Ensign, a Lieutenant Commander and even a retired Admiral.

Everyone had their limits and they were sure DiNozzo had reached his. He looked completely exhausted by 11:30 Friday night when he finally logged off his computer and headed home. His friend, Tim McGee had offered to drive him home but he refused and managed to make it there without wrecking his vehicle in the process.

They had followed him closely and almost considered forcing him off the road and taking him then and there but that would have ruined Dr. Berkley plans…he wasn’t to know he was being kidnapped. He swirled into the other lanes twice, it was fortunate for him the highway was practically empty. Before he swirled again he rolled down his windows letting the cold night air in to keep himself awake.

*******************************************************************

Tony felt like crap, his body ached and he had picked up a slight chill from driving with the windows down. He bereted himself for not taking McGee up on his offer to drive him home but he planned to sleep for at least thirty six hours and he didn’t want to leave his car at work. He could barely move but he didn’t think it wise to sleep in his car. He pushed the car door open and paused before getting out as an uneasy feeling claimed him. He felt like he was being watched…a feeling he had been having for a while now but he hadn’t spotted anyone. If he was being watch whoever it was…was damn good.

Another thing that adding to his uneasiness was this feeling that someone was planning to dance on his grave. He looked around again and still didn’t see anything, so he shook it off and got completely out of the car. He swayed and leaned against the car to steady himself, he was exhausted, he prayed he didn’t pass out before he made it inside his apartment. He walked through the outer door of his apartment building and headed to the elevator grateful it was working. He leaned heavily against the back wall and waited to reach his 4th floor apartment.

DiNozzo was leaning against his apartment door fumbling with his keys trying to unlock it when they took him. Sneaking up behind him and rendering him unconscious with the small piece of cloth they rubbed along his neck was a cake walk. Considering the man was practically sleepwalking.

The doctor was right the moment the drug touched his skin he was out like a light.

Even his nosey neighbor who peeked out her door bought the story without a second thought, when Cooper said, “We’re just getting Tony settled in his place he’s had one helluva week and a little too much to drink winding down.” The older lady smiled and nodded as she said, “He does work really hard, I haven’t seen him around much lately,” as she retreated back into her apartment and closed her door.

Cooper and Sims were holding DiNozzo upright between them using their large bodies to block anyone’s view. They took another a quick look around, grabbed the keys hanging in the lock and carried Tony to the waiting elevator, where Kelley was ready with the hypodermic that would insure he remained unconscious for the night and well into the next day. Dr. Berkley said it would take her approximately twenty four hours to prepare DiNozzo for her plan and then they would return him to his apartment.

Dr. Berkley gave them very specific instruction on what to do if his breathing was labored in anyway…so they made him comfortable in the back seat of the SUV and placed the oxygen mask over his nose and mouth. She had mention something about damaged lungs that might present a problem…she wanted him very much alive. They settled in for the long drive to the abandoned medical facility just across the state-line.

When they arrived the doctor ordered them to undress DiNozzo and place him on the exam table in the center of the large cold room. They used heavy leather straps around his wrist and ankles to restrain him just in case he woke up from the ministration about to be performed on his body. The doctor said he should remain unconscious for the duration but she wasn’t taking any chances. The doctor and her assistant spent over ten minutes staring at his body.

All the preparations seemed complete, there were several syringes with liquids in various colors. Cooper wondered, ‘What the hell she was waiting for?” Then she suddenly said, “Let’s begin attaching the monitors.” She and her assistant circled his body attaching the leads to neck, chest and arms. Then they started making numerous injections starting with his feet and ending at the base of his sulk beneath his hairline. The four men watched and cringed as the needle entered his body especially the ones in his groin area. She even made injections into his nipples.

Tony’s body suddenly convulsed and his breath hitched. The monitors attached to him went crazy.

DiNozzo eyes remained closed but his muscles visibly tensed and he broke out in a cold sweat that covered his entire body before his breathing became erratic and his heart rate accelerated. It seemed as though one of his lungs deflated because he was struggling to breathe. The drugs coursing through his body were doing the doctor’s dirty work but not exactly like she planned.

Dr. Berkley acting quickly plunged an extremely long needle into his chest hitting his distressed lung as her assistant replaced the oxygen mask they had removed on his arrival back on his face.

Dr. Berkley was now grateful for the bruises on DiNozzo’s chest they would hide the needle mark nicely. She had ordered the thinness needles obtainable but the longer ones were thicker and could possibly leave a unwanted mark. Her whole plan hinged on DiNozzo not knowing anything had been done to him.

Dr. Berkley cursed, “His damn scar tissue covered lungs are going to be a real issue,” as she removed her gloves and tossed them into the waiting trash can. She started pacing back and forth before circling the table watching his body react to the various injections. The thin sheen of perspiration made his body glisten in the glaring lights above him as his breathing finally started to even out but he was visibly shivering.

The assistant was just staring again admiring the definition of Tony’s muscles. Her eyes traveled along his body before lingering at his groin noticing the size of his flaccid manhood before her eyes continued to roam down his body over the muscled thighs of his long legs.

Dr. Berkley turned to her assistant and barked her name, pulling her out of her trance. She said, “Take his temperature,” which she knew could be elevated by her drug cocktail. Her assistant’s name was Angie; no last name was ever mentioned. She did as told and said, “Its 102 doctor,” showing little concern for the man before her even though she knew it was heading for a dangerous level. The doctor cursed again.

The drugs which contained nanoparticles were meant to stop where injected plant their seed and then travel along his nerves before collecting in the pain center of his brain where they would remain dormant and await their various triggers.

She turned to Angie and said, “Get the cooling blankets and sheets from storage.” “Mr. Cooper when she returns please lift him so she can place the covers around him.” “I’ll be back shortly after I check my notes,” as she stormed away.

Cooper sighed and said, “Guys take a break,” as he looked at Kelley and Sims. Shaking his head he said, “Michaels you’re with me.” They walked over to the far wall and grabbed a gurney and some clean towels off the shelves. Once the towels were laid out across the gurney they lifted DiNozzo and carefully placed him on it.

Angie returned with the blankets and said, “What are you doing?”

Michaels ignored the question being that the answer was obvious, he rolled his eyes and said, “Are you sure his temperature is only a 102, he feels awfully hot.”

Angie placed the blankets and sheets on the steel exam table and grabbed the digital thermometer off the tray and placed it inside DiNozzo’s ear.

The thermometer beeped after a moment and Angie said, “Oh shit, its 105, get the doctor back here quick,” as she grabbed one of the cooling blankets and covered Tony as he ran toward Dr. Berkley’s office.

TBC
Chapter Six - Complications by Shron
SCORNED
Chapter Six " Complications

Cooper was surprised by Angie’s reaction it was more emotion than she had ever shown the entire time he had known her which meant there was a real problem. He said, “What going on Angie?” He wasn’t going to be responsible for the death of a Federal Agent. Dr. Berkley assured him that DiNozzo would not die on his watch. She claimed she only wanted to hurt him not kill him but there was something going very wrong with her plan.

Angie said, “He going to die if we don’t…” as the door opened and the doctor’s return cut her off.

Dr. Berkley calmly walked other with a syringe in hand just as DiNozzo groaned as the sedative they had given him had started to wear off. His eyelids fluttered but before his eyes opened a needle had penetrated his skin successfully putting him back under. Dr. Berkley touched his head with her gloved hand and said, “Angie get the thermo bed ready in Room 4.” “We need to lower his temperature immediately.”

“Cooper, Michaels bring him, we need him moved to a Room 4 now.” as she grabbed the IV stand and lead the way down the long hall.

Angie couldn’t believe how calm Dr. Berkley was acting. DiNozzo temperature was spiking at a 105 he was only four degrees away from a death sentence. The human body couldn’t withstand temperatures at that level for very long. The drugs were causing all kinds of complications…and there was no way to anticipate every crisis.

The drug interactions had become unpredictable with the added antibiotics and stimulates they had needed to keep his lungs functioning. She wondered how he kept so fit…she had watched a lot of surveillance videos of him running, weight-lifting, fighting and none of it made sense. He shouldn’t have had that much stamina. She continued to prepare the bed and ready the antibiotics as she wondered, ‘How far would Dr. Berkley go.?’

Dr. Berkley growled, “Damn you DiNozzo!” as she headed toward the room where she needed to make some quick decisions. She thought to herself, ‘How does a person contract the ‘Plague’ in the 21st Century…and survive.’ He shouldn’t be able to withstand the strenuous physical requirements of his position. Not with the extensive damage to his lungs.

The pain alone when he exerted himself should have been debilitating.

Kelley and Sims were returning when Dr. Berkley, Cooper and Michaels rushed past them with DiNozzo on a gurney. They had to jump against the wall to avoid a collision. Kelley yelled, “Hey Boss what happened?”

Cooper said, “Don’t know for sure, secure the building and then meet me in the control room.”

Michaels said, “Dr. Berkley didn’t you say the condition of his lungs made him susceptible to infections?” She said, “Yes why?” He looked to Cooper for approval to continue. When Cooper nodded he said, “Well he was driving with the car windows down its pretty cold out tonight and his immune system has to be weaken considering the lack of sleep and...” She stopped him with a wave of her hand and said, “Why on earth would he do that?”

Cooper sighed as he wondered why so called ‘smart people’ never seemed to grasp the obvious. He said, “He was exhausted maybe the cold air made it possible for him to stay awake and make it home alive.”

Dr. Berkley continued toward the room saying, “Well that explains a lot…he did this on purpose.” Cooper shook his head at the ludicrousness of her remark.

Angie was waiting in the room when they arrived. The bed was ready for DiNozzo as ordered. They moved him onto the bed and watched as she finished placing what looked like icepacks along the edges beneath the mattress on a insulated shelve. When she finished she covered him with a thermo blanket that served to trap the cold around his body. The doctor said, “Start the IV and be careful you don’t leave any marks.” Cooper said, “Dr. Berkley we need to talk.” She glared at him and said, “Give me ten minutes and I’ll meet you in my office.”

Kelley appeared in the door and said, “Dr. Berkley there’s a young lady here to see you I believe she’s your daughter.” She huffed and angrily said, “What is she doing here at this hour?” He said, “I wouldn’t know Ma’am but she said her name was Jeanne Benoit and insisted on seeing you.”

Dr. Berkley said, “Our talk will have to wait while I deal with my daughter and check my files.” Cooper nodded as she left the room. He said, “Michaels with me.” They steps in the hall out of Angie’s earshot. He turned to Michaels and said, “What’s really going on?” He had been his Medic in their unit for years. Michaels said, “I’m not sure Boss they’re injecting him with so many drugs it’s hard to distinguish what they all are.” Cooper nodded and said, “You stay here with Angie and make sure she doesn’t kill him I’m going to the control room.” Michaels nodded, re-entered the room and took to a seat in the corner watching where he had an unobstructed view of Angie movements as she started a IV and hooked DiNozzo to a monitor.

************************************************

Dr. Berkley walked into her office and seated herself across from her daughter and said, “Jeanne what are you doing here?” as she opened her computer, she needed to make sure DiNozzo didn’t have any other drug allergies. One of the drugs she was using was effecting his damaged lungs and counteracting the effects of the sedatives. He had almost waken up twice.

Jeanne said, “I’ve made a decision Mother…I’m going to see Tony tomorrow and tell him.”

Dr. Berkley stopped typing and looked at her daughter with a combination of disappointment and annoyance clearly displayed in her expression as she wondered ‘why her daughter was so weak’ when it came to Anthony DiNozzo. She had raised her to be strong and independent. She had to admit DiNozzo was handsome and physically appealing but what else could he really offer her, he was a Federal Agent by choice. He was constantly putting his live in danger. And why would she even want him after all the deceptions.

DiNozzo remained her too much of Jeanne’s father all flash and no substance…she had called him a ‘player’ when they first met. Everything from his expensive taste in clothing and shoes to his disarming smile served to confirm her initial assessment of him. Jeanne’s father had acted much like DiNozzo charming his way into her life.

Rene’ Benoit had blindsided her, destroyed her common sense and turned her world upside down and DiNozzo had done the same to her daughter.
Jeanne thought her mother had stopped interfering in her life…stopped hating Tony for existing but the expression on her face had proved nothing had changed.

Dr. Berkley turned her attention back to her computer and pulled up the hidden file she was seeking…the complete medical records for Anthony DiNozzo…reading quickly she found what she needed. She closed the file then closed her computer. She was now focused on her daughter and said, “What is wrong with you.”

Jeanne frowned as she said, “There’s nothing wrong with me Mother,” barely disguising her sarcasm. I know how you feel about Tony but he…he has a right to know…,” as her mother interrupted and angrily said, “No he does not after what he did to you, not after what he put you through, he doesn’t deserve anything,” as she inward thought, ‘except the hell I’m about to put him through.’

TBC
Chapter Seven - Seeing Realiity by Shron
SCORNED
Chapter Seven " Seeing Reality

Jeanne stood up abruptly and started to pace back and forth in front of her mother’s desk with her arms folded across her chest. Her mother inwardly shook her head as she watched her daughter.

Jeanne stopped after a few minutes eyeing her mother seriously as she said, “Tony didn’t mean to hurt me he loves me and he will love his…” as the phone on her mother’s desk interrupted her words.

Dr. Berkley raised her hand to silence her daughter as she grabbed the phone and said, “Yes,” and listened to the frantic voice of her assistant on the other end saying, “Dr. Berkley the thermo bed isn’t working his temperature is remaining at 105, plus he started shivering and now his breathing is getting more and more erratic… should I give him the…”as the doctor cut her off saying, “I’m coming don’t do anything.”

The doctor ran toward the door as she said, “Stay here I’ll be back in a few minutes.” Jeanne huffed and said, “What going on?” to her mother’s back. She watched as the door was pulled close and then she heard a distinctive click as she was locked inside.

******************************************

Dr. Berkley entered the room and immediately went to work on Tony barking orders at Angie and Michaels as she proceeded.

Turning toward the door she said, “Cooper make sure my daughter doesn’t leave my office, I locked the door but...just make sure she doesn’t leave…” Cooper looked toward the hall cameras and signal for Kelley to go to the office.

Kelley was immediately on the move racing down the long hallway. He reached the office door just as Jeanne pulled it open and took a few steps. He said, “Ms. Benoit your…Dr. Berkley wants you to remain in the office… she will return shortly,” as he gently took her arm and ushered her back inside the office.

Jeanne stopped and turned toward him belatedly invading his personal space and said, “What is my mother doing?”

Kelley stared down at her and said, “I don’t know Ma’am…I’m just following orders.” Jeanne took the hint realizing this man would tell her nothing she turned and walked toward the desk as the door closed behind her. She seated herself at her mother’s desk and opened her computer.

The computer was password protected so she tried several words, names and dates she connected with her mother but nothing seemed to work. She slammed the computer close as frustration welled inside her…she knew her mother was up to something and she hoped to God it didn’t involve Tony. She promised her she wouldn’t do anything to hurt Tony but she didn’t believe her.

Why was her mother starting another secret research project? She had just concluded a military project a few weeks ago…that involved terrorist’s interrogation methods so what was she doing now. Her suspicions were growing, she knew all too well what her mother was capable of and that had her very worried. She thought about her mother’s words, ‘I won’t do any permanent harm.’ What did that mean? And then there was the way she laughed as if her words were just a bad joke.

Dr. Berkley, the world famous Neurosurgeon and Neurologist knew how to treat both the central and peripheral nervous systems. And there was nothing she didn’t know about the human brain and how it worked. Her mother’s area of expertise was Neurophysiology. The government had to stop a lot of the physical methods of interrogation they were using like waterboarding after the public outcry…so with her mother’s help and a group of scientists they resorted to chemical techniques and Nanotechnology. She didn’t know all the details of how it worked but what she knew seemed just as inhumane as waterboarding. Torture was torture.

**********************************************************************

Jeanne bereted herself for going to her mother in the first place she had caused this rift between mother and Tonty…but she needed help and her pride wouldn’t let her go to Tony…not after the way she treated him.
She had accused an innocent Federal Agent of murder…she had belatedly lied. She was trying to destroy a man’s live after she foolishly called her mother for advice.

Jeanne had finally accepted her father was what he was. LaGrenouille, ‘the Frog’ an arms dealer…government sanctioned or not why would he do such a thing. Why would he put himself in that kind of jeopardy? He had also placed her live in danger. His competition had blown up Tony’s car attempting to murder her because Tony routinely picked her up each day. Murder to send a message to her father, he was in a world where human live held no value. Tony was just doing a job…protecting the United States and her interest.

Tony hadn’t replied to her messages but she found out he had been working almost non-stop on a big case involving drug smuggling on Navy vessels right after he just finished another case. She knew she was asking too much of him but they needed him and she just wanted some semblance of control in her life. Why hadn’t she just stayed and tried to work things out with him? Why couldn’t she just accept his life?

She knew her mother didn’t give a damn about what happened to her father, she had hated Rene’ Benoit for years and now her mother was associating Tony with him…but Tony was nothing like her father except for the fact that they both loved her. Maybe it all started as an undercover assignment for Tony DiNozzo, but Tony DiNozzo was the one that fell in love with her…not Tony DiNardo.

Tony tried to keep her at bay but she had finally broken through his armor. The night when Tony proclaimed his love for her with tear filled eyes she knew it was real. She later found out he had lost a dear friend on duty but it didn’t change the fact that he came to her for comfort.

Tony DiNozzo has a daughter and she needs her father no matter what her mother said. She had gone to Tony’s apartment after she had accused him of murdering her father. She had asked him to make love to her after she brutally slapped him so hard her hand hurt for days. He didn’t flinch he just let the tears dancing in his eyes fall as he kissed her passionately.

One of the most passionate kiss they had ever shared. Tony then lifted her in his strong arms and carried her to his bed.

They made love and conceived a child that night. Tony had given her a beautiful baby girl with her father’s beautiful eyes. Jeanne had suffered through a difficult pregnancy because she allowed her mother to constantly beret and disparage Tony until she realized the true. Tony was a victim too he had been used just as much as her. And Tony loved her, even though he said he didn’t, she could see it in his expressive green eyes.

She could see how much it pained him to lie to her…but he was probably trying to protect her even then when she had almost stolen his freedom.

Then Jenny Shepard had come to her after she had admitted her lie about seeing Tony kill her father. She explained how she manipulated Tony into the assignment. She told her about how when Tony came to her to ask about taking their relationship to the next level how she prodded him on…Tony and she had been dating for over a month and he was avoiding taking their relationship any further. She was beginning to think something was wrong with her…but the way he kissed her the way he touched her told her differently. She could tell Tony wanted more too, the way he looked at her, the lust she saw in eyes couldn’t be faked but he was holding back.

When she pushed him for a reason he said, “I don’t want to rush things…If you always do what you’ve always done then you’ll always get what you always got and while what I got had its perks…I’m looking for something difference now.” The sincerity of his words made her want him even more. She promised him she would wait for him and when he was ready she would be there.

Apparently that invitation had sent him to Jenny Shepard for advice.

Jenny had even admitted to Jeanne that she knew what she was doing was wrong but her suspicions surrounding her father’s death at Rene’ Benoit’s hands overruled her ethics and morals. Everything she had done she had done with no regard for her or Tony’s feeling…the ends would have justified the means.

That conversation had sent her to Tony’s apartment to talk but when she saw him standing there before her completed vulnerable…something inside her just twisted and all the pain and all the anger came rushing back and she couldn’t stop her mother’s traits within her from rearing their ugly heads. She wanted to hurt him like he had hurt her with his lies even though she knew it wasn’t his choice…but in that moment it didn’t matter what was done was done…so she ripped his heart out and left him broken.

Three weeks later she discovered she was pregnant, actually she admitted to herself she was pregnant. She knew it the moment she closed the door behind her as she leaned against it when her hand of its own accord caressed her stomach she was carring Tony DiNozzo’s child. She knew it as sure as she knew her name but it didn’t stop her and she walked out of his life.

The months dragged by slowly as she deprived Tony of the experience they should have shared. The cards and notes she had sent were either vague or demanding filled with hurt and anger. After she had given birth she stayed with her mother in Italy at one of her luxurious Villas.

Tony was a forbidden subject; as long as he wasn’t discussed things went fine, if fine meant longing for Tony in silence.

The years passed and her daughter was growing into a beautiful little girl with long chestnut hair and hazel eyes that danced with light.

She cautiously introduced her daughter to her father with pictures and videos she kept hidden from her mother. Her daughter often asked about her father as she grew older. One day as they set in the bright afternoon sun on the veranda with her mother her daughter asked, “Where’s Daddy, Mommy?”

Jeanne smiled and answered, “Still across the waters baby in the United States remember what Mommy told you.” Then she asked, “When I see Daddy, Mommy?” Jeanne ignored the angry look on her mother’s face as she answered, “Soon baby.”

Later that evening at dinner…Her mother said, “What have you been teaching my granddaughter?” Jeanne defiantly answered, “I’m teaching my daughter that she has a father who loves her…and that she’s going to see her father soon.” Her mother went ballistic threatening her with everything from having her committed to a mental institution to disowning her.

Jeanne told her she didn’t give a damn about her money or her threats. And her mother knew they were futile as well as she did. Her father had provided for her…she had more than enough to live any life she chose.

The live she had chosen included Tony DiNozzo and her mother didn’t approval. After she found out Tony’s real name she discovered Anthony D. DiNozzo Jr. worked as a Federal Agent because he loved his job and his country. Tony had a trust fund that overshadowed her’s by millions which she blurted out in the heat of their argument as her mother questioned Tony’s ability to provide for her granddaughter.

Even though, she knew her mother was just grabbing at straws. She knew she had also investigated Tony. She knew everything there was to know about him probably more knowing her mother as she did. She even knew the source of his wealth was his mother who died when he was just a child. But it didn’t stop her from lashing out at Tony with whatever came to mind…she hated him even after Jeanne had long ago forgive him. How could her mother claim to love her daughter and hate the man that fathered her?

Dr. Berkley retreated to her library of medical books and solitary. After almost a month of virtual silence from her mother she walked into the sitting area where she and her daughter were playing and announced she decided to return to the States for a research project. Jeanne announced she and her daughter would be joining her as she decided it was time for three and a-half year old Abrienne DiNozzo to meet her father.
Abrienne would get to know her father no matter what her grandmother said or thought.

**********************************

Dr. Berkley finally got Tony stabilized without using the defibrillator which she dreaded only because it would leave unexplainable evidence of the procedure he had been objected to which would ruin her plans. His temperature had lowered two degrees down to 103 with a massive dose of antibiotics…she would keep him long enough to administer another massive dose to ensure the fever didn’t spike again. He would probably suffer some side-effects like nausea for a couple days and probably have some pretty severe stomach cramps but that didn’t matter to her. He would probably think the nausea was a result of the migraine that would develop.

Since he had experienced migraines in his early twenties he knew the symptoms. Twenty four hours would pass and then the unexplainable body aches and pains would overwhelm him. Then everything would slowly intensify.

Dr. Berkley knew her subject well…his medical history provided her with the perfect vehicle to make him suffer. Dr. Pitt’s records had been extremely thorough and helpful. They were more than worth the expense it took to acquire them. She discovered during her research that a certain mixture of drugs injected into the brain’s pain center could lay dormant and produce amazing results when triggered. She had to make a few adjustments because of the military project she had completed a few months ago.

NCIS was part of the military and she didn’t want some smart ass in NCIS like McGee or Sciuto putting two and two together if DiNozzo symptoms too closely mirrored those of the project subjects.

Dr. Berkley smiled as she thought above what she had learned from the surveillance on DiNozzo. DiNozzo’s job garnered physical altercations on a regular basis. DiNozzo’s co-workers were very physical as they interacted with each other sharing everything from head slaps to playful punches to hugs.

Especially Ms. Abigail Sciuto, that girl dished out breathtaking hugs on a regular basis. The next one she planted on Tony DiNozzo would do more than take his breath away. Oh yes, and their training workouts were no holds barred which would serve well to teach Mr. Anthony D. DiNozzo Jr. what real pain was.

DiNozzo would get plenty stimuli to initiate the chemical reactions she needed, she wanted. Some of the side effects would be worrisome given the condition of his lungs but she had already survived that hurdle and so had DiNozzo. Dr. Pitt would take care of any further problems that occurred with his lungs. He was a mystery in many respects…nothing was as it should be but it didn’t matter as long as he paid…for hurting her daughter.

Dr. Berkley turned to Angie and said, “Check his vitals then wait about forty five minutes before you give him the second dose…use cold compresses to keep his temperature down until then.” “Afterwards one of Cooper’s men can help you dress him so they can get him back to his apartment before dawn.” Angie nodded and went to get what she needed to perform her tasks as instructed.

Dr. Berkley frowned at Tony’s motionless body and exited the room…she was stopped by Cooper halfway down the hall. Cooper said, “Your daughter was trying to access your computer and she’s looking through the papers on your desk as well.”

Dr. Berkley folded her arms across her chest and glared at Cooper as she said, “There nothing for her to find, there’s no mention of this little project anywhere.” “I’m not stupid Cooper.” The distain in her voice would have probably shaken a lesser man.

Cooper just suppressed a anger and returned the glare before asking, “Are you sure DiNozzo is going to be alright, I don’t need him dying on me during transport.”

The doctor said, “I know what I’m doing,“ in a irritated huff as she started to walk away.

Cooper stopped her saying, “Then why did DiNozzo nearly die, I’m not some dumb jock that doesn’t know which end is up and I told you upfront I wouldn’t be responsible for the death of a Federal Agent… I don’t care how much you’re paying me.” “I can read monitors and you almost loss him a couple times.”

Dr. Berkley growled, “But I didn’t he will be reacting just as I planned…no more no less…his lungs were always a potential problem and you were informed.”

Cooper frowned and said, “As I recall you mention some minor complication…I don’t consider death an minor complication.”

Dr. Berkley pushed pass him and said, “DiNozzo will be fine once you get him home now if you don’t I’ll handle my daughter,” as she stormed down the hall leading to her office.

Cooper mumbled, ‘Bitch’ and returned to the control room to check the perimeter again. He hit the comm-connection and had Michaels report to the control room. He ordered him to ready the vehicle then report to DiNozzo’s room and help get him dressed.

**********************************

Tony could heard muffled voices in the distance but he couldn’t comprehend the words…his head was killing him and his chest felt like it was buried beneath a ton of bricks…it hurt to breathe. He tried to think but it just made his head hurt worse. There was something over his nose and mouth pushing air into his lungs but he wasn’t sure what it was. He wondered was it his treatment mask, no it couldn’t be it didn’t feel quite right. Nothing felt right and why wouldn’t his eyes open…why wouldn’t his eyelids cooperate…nothing was cooperating. He tried to move his arms and legs but something was holding them down too. He felt uncomfortably hot except when something cool and soothing grazed along his skin. He also felt like a pin cushion…like hundreds of needles had penetrated his skin. He remembered getting home wanting to sleep for the next thirty six hours but he couldn’t remember opening the door or lying down in his bed and this didn’t feel like his bed. There was an antiseptic smell in the air not quite as strong as a hospital but definitely not his apartment. He wondered, ‘Where the hell am I?’ He needed to open his eyes but before he couldn’t…then something pricked his neck and darkness came.

Cooper and Michaels arrived at Tony room at the same time. Cooper looked at DiNozzo and then glared at Angie before saying, “What did you give him?” Angie glared back, she didn’t work for Cooper and she took enough abuse from Dr. Berkley she wasn’t going to be ordered around or question by the hired help too. She simply said, “A tranquilizer which will wear-off in about three hours so shouldn’t you get moving?”

Cooper growled through gritted teeth, “Didn’t you just give him a massive dose of antibiotics.” She said, “Yes so what?” Cooper took a deep breath and said, “Look at him he not breathing right,” as Angie turned and noticed the uneven breathing. He was actually starting to gasp for air with the oxygen mask covering his nose and mouth. She checked his pulse and said, “Dammit I told Dr. Berkley that sedative is too strong with the antibiotics she used, get her in here.”

Michaels checked the oxygen mask and said, “The mask is fine it’s definitely the drugs.” He looked at Angie questioning expression and said, “I was a medic in my unit.”

Cooper charged out the room and jogged down the long hallway as Michaels watched Angie carefully. Angie grabbed a syringe and a small vial from the storage cabinet in the corner.

Michaels said, “What’s that?” as DiNozzo started to convulsed.

TBC
Chapter Eight - Discovery by Shron
SCORNED
Chapter Eight - Discovery

Dr. Berkley stares at her daughter like she had two heads. Jeanne asked for the third time, “What are doing here, who’s back there?” “Is it Tony?” Dr. Berkley said, “Don’t be ridiculous,” just as her office door was slung open and a very angry looking Cooper stepped in and said, “You’re needed right now.”

Dr. Berkley glared at him as she stood and said, “Jeanne stay here until I get back, we’ll go home and finished this discussion.” She walked out the door closing it behind her before turning toward Cooper ignoring the way he towered over her. She wasn’t one to be intimidated especially by her hired help. She said, “What?”

Cooper quickly steered her toward the room as he filled her in on DiNozzo deteriorating condition as they hurried to his room. When they reached the room Angie was about to give DiNozzo another injection…as Dr. Berkley yelled, “Stop!”

Angie froze and looked at the doctor confused before saying, “You said to administer the antidote if his breathing was erratic and he just convulsed…he’s not getting enough oxygen.” Dr. Berkley pushed pass Angie and headed for the storage cabinet where she pulled out another vial with an amber liquid. Angie gasped and said, “I thought you said not to use that one because it could…” Dr. Berkley growled cutting her off as said, “You’re not using it I am and I know what I’m doing he will be fine.” as she filled a syringe.

Cooper said, “What the hell are you doing?” Dr. Berkley glared at him before saying, “I reformulating the chemical distribution to lessen the effects on his lungs, if you must know.” She then turned to Angie and said, “Put that away,” as she plunged the syringe she was holding into the IV in DiNozzo’s arm.

Cooper gave Michaels a silence command using only his eyes. Michaels turned his attention to Angie watching as she put the vial away in the storage cabinet. He made a mental note of exactly where she placed the vial as well as the color of the liquid it contained.

Cooper noticed the almost immediate change in DiNozzo breathing as it evened out and started to returned to normal. He also noticed how his muscles tensed beneath his sweat covered skin.

Dr. Berkley checked his vitals and said, “He will be fine…you can move him now but give me a few minutes.” “I’m taking my daughter out the front entrance and you need to get him back to his apartment before he wakes up.” “I don’t want any more slip-ups.” She looked around the room and said, “Angie why haven’t you gotten DiNozzo’s clothes,” as she turned and headed out the room.

Angie grumbled under breath, “Because he almost died again and I was busy trying to stop that from happening,” as Dr. Berkley walked away.
Cooper and Michaels both glared at Dr. Berkley’s back. Cooper hit his comm-link and said, “Sims get DiNozzo clothes out of the lab and bring them down.” Sims said, “On it Boss.”

Cooper waited until he was sure Dr. Berkley was out of earshot and said, “Angie what was in the vial and why did the Doc stop you?” as casually as he could muster. The better he got to know the doctor the less he liked the job he was doing for her.

Angie looked from him to Michaels and decided ‘what harm would it do’ if they knew. She said, “It was an antidote, the chemical cocktail in DiNozzo’s body contains a dormant nanos that’s reactive to certain physical stimuli but it not completely stable.” “The antidote corrupts the nanos and the compounds breakdown reversing their effects.” “Dr. Berkley told me to use if his breathing should mimic an asthma attack…so I was about to but she’s so hell-bent on torturing him.” Cooper said, “What exactly does that mean?”

Angie paused and stared at Cooper before asking, “Why are you so interested?”

Cooper walked over to Angie and gently turned her to face him as he silently order Michaels to retrieve the vial in question from the cabinet. He said, “Look Angie that guy over there is a Federal Agent and if any real harm comes to him the doctor won’t be the only one going down,” he didn’t bother mentioning Gibbs his boss she didn’t know him or what he was capable of but he did.

Special Agent Jethro Gibbs would track each and every one of them down and make them pay. Gibbs regarded his team as family and you didn’t mess with Gibbs family. He knew exactly what happened to the man responsible for the deaths of Shannon and Kelly Gibbs as well as his two children who came for revenge years later. One ended-up dead at her brothers hands and the brother ended-up buried so deep in prison he would never see the light of day again.

Angie hesitated only a moment before saying, “That stuff she used can cause severe muscle spasms and cramping plus it can intensify the pain level.”

What Angie didn’t say was, ‘Some of the drugs were detectable unlike the others she used and they could possibly lead back to Dr. Berkley.’ She didn’t give a damn about DiNozzo, so what if he suffers a bit more, it wasn’t her problem. She just knew she wasn’t going to jail for any amount of money if those drugs were traced back to Dr. Berkley…they would lead back to her as well. They would also lead to everything else including the facility they were now in.

Michaels listened as he carefully retrieved the antidote along with a vial of the amber liquid and placed them both in his jacket pockets unseen by Angie or the cameras. He and Cooper could both tell she was leaving something out. Angie wiped DiNozzo down as best she could before they silently dressed him and lifted him between themselves.

They carried him out the back entrance to the waiting SUV. After making sure DiNozzo was as comfortable as possible with an oxygen mask in place.

They arrived at DiNozzo’s apartment three and a half hours later, thirty minutes later than they needed to arrive.

DiNozzo had started waking up, he was groaning and protectively pressing his arms around his abdomen even though his eyes were tightly closed. Cooper whispered, “Dammit use it.” Michaels quickly rubbed the small treated patch against DiNozzo neck and his body instantly slumped.

Cooper was pissed he didn’t want to use anymore drugs on DiNozzo but he was waking up too soon. They needed to get him inside and time had run out. He was tempted to give him the antidote and end the whole damn thing right then and there but he wasn’t sure Angie was telling the whole true. Another thing that worried him was using more drugs of any kind, this after all was a drug and the man had been pumped with so many chemicals in the last twenty four hours he had no idea what would happen. He said, “Move let’s get him inside.”

They moved quickly and got DiNozzo up to his apartment. They slipped inside just before his neighbor opened her door and said, “Tony is that you?” as they frozen in place and waited. When Cooper heard her door close, he whispered, “Michaels, Kelley get him undress and in the bed.” “Sims check the refrigerator for a bottled water and put it on the nightstand.”

Everyone did as they were told while Cooper pulled out his cell and scanned through his contacts. He needed a chemist to check out that so-called antidote, then he had a decision to make.

Michaels and Kelley stripped DiNozzo down to his boxers and laid him in his bed as Sims entered the room with a bottled water. He said, “Put this on the nightstand,” as he handed it off to Kelley. He loosens the cap and places it within DiNozzo’s reach.

Cooper said, “How is he doing,” from the doorway. Michaels said, “Out cold but breathing normally, where should I put his clothes.” Cooper looked around the room noticing the tidiness before he said, “Throw them over that chair, he was exhausted when he got home so he probably wouldn’t have taken time to hang them up plus the suit needs to go to the dry cleaner.” “Let’s get out of here put the cell phone, wallet and his watch on the nightstand, gun and ID in the drawer, keys go on the table by the door.”

They left the apartment quietly and made it to the parking lot unnoticed. Once they were settled in the SUV, Cooper said, “I’m going to get that antidote checked out and we need to keep eyes on DiNozzo for the time being.” “We also need to get a sample of that amber liquid analyzed, Angie was holding something back.”

Michaels handed Cooper both the vials and said, “On it Boss.” Cooper smiled and said, “Good man.”

*****************************************************

Gibbs came down the stairs from MTAC at 8am Monday morning after the hour long meet with Director Vance.

Both McGee and Ziva were seated at the desk trying to look busy as they discussed what to do about the absence of Tony. McGee said, “It’s just strange Ziva, Tony’s always here at 7am sharp unless there’s something wrong.” Ziva said, “I know did you try his phones,” as Gibbs steps into the bullpen.

“Well McGee did you get an answer?” McGee looked up startled to see Gibbs standing by Tony’s desk.

McGee said, “Huh Boss,” before gathering himself and answering, “No answer Boss, on either line cell is going straight to voice mail.” Gibbs quickly hid his worry it wasn’t like Tony not to answer his calls even if he was sick he would have found a way. When he tried to talk to him before he left Friday night he practically begged him to put it off until today. He promised to tell him about everything that was bothering him, he just needed to sleep first.

McGee go to Tony’s apartment and call me as soon as you know anything. McGee grabbed his gun and badge before saying, “On it Boss,” and headed for the elevator. Ziva said, “Gibbs what should I do?” trying to hide her concern but failing. Gibbs said, “Go with McGee.” Ziva quickly grabbed her backpack and caught up with McGee at the elevator just as the doors opened. McGee said, “When did you grab your gun and badge?” Ziva smirked and said, “When Gibbs turned the corner.” McGee just shook his head.


Tony groaned as he slowly opened his eyes. He was lying on his back in his bed dressed in his boxers but he couldn’t remember getting in bed…in fact he couldn’t remember much of anything like getting in his apartment or getting undressed. His chest was killing him, his stomach was cramping and his head felt like it was going to explode any minute. He remembered the fight with a suspect during the final arrests which explained the pain in his chest but why was everything else a blank…he didn’t even know what day it was.

Realizing he needed to move he rolled over, pushed himself up and slung his legs over the side of the bed as his body screamed ‘STOP’ protesting every movement. He looked at the nightstand clock and grimaced at the time…which read 8:23am. He wondered how long he had slept. He reached for his cell phone but it was dead.

He noticed a bottled-water on the nightstand next to his phone so he reached out, grabbed it and took a sip.

The water was warm but it soothed his dry throat. He swallowed a little more of the water which made him suddenly bolted for the bathroom. He barely made it to the toilet before he dropped to his knees and lowered his head as a stream of clear liquid erupted from his mouth and nose choking off his air making him feel like he was drowning, no suffocating.

He tried to push himself up but dizziness and another wave of nausea had him grabbing the sides of the toilet seat for support as more liquid escaped his mouth. There was way more liquid erupting from his body than what he had just consumed. Then the harsh coughing started uncontrollably doubling the pain in his chest. He clutched his chest with one arm as if he needed to block the escape of his lungs. He prayed for ‘God’s help’ as he gasped for a breath.

The coughing started to calm after a few minutes but not before a metallic taste filled his mouth. He was visibly shaking as he tried again to lift himself…using first the bathtub and then the counter top he pushed himself upright. He could barely see himself in the mirror through watery eyes but what he saw wasn’t good.

He looked like he had been to Hell and back. His eyes were bloodshot and glassy like he hadn’t slept in days. There was blood at the corner of his mouth probably a result of trying to cough up a lung earlier. The bruises on his chest and abdomen were a deep purple with blotches of green, yellow and blue scattered within. Breathing hurt he could hardly pull enough air into his lungs in fact everything hurt and now he was sweating like he had just been doused with a bucket of water. The slight tremble in his muscles was making it hard to stand…he wondered what was wrong with him.

Tony’s eyes started to burn so he leaned forward for a long moment squeezing his eyes close to block the offending morning light peeking through his blinds from his bedroom. His head started throbbing like it did when he had a migraine. He got headaches all the time for stress but this one was difference.

Tony was desperately trying to hold himself up still unable to catch his breath. There were loud knocks at his door and someone called his name but he couldn’t make out the voice with his head throbbing. He had to get to the door...he needed help but he could barely stand. He inwardly yelled, ‘DiNozzos don’t give-up…you have to do this,’ as the room spun and he didn’t make it far before he collapsed to the floor.

McGee knocked several times but Tony didn’t answer…he could heard what sounded a loud thump like someone hitting the floor. He yelled out, “Tony…Tony, are you okay…Tony!” McGee’s panicked kicked into overdrive, as Ziva pulled out her lock picks and started working on the lock.

An elderly lady peered out and said, “What’s going on out here?” with as much bravado as she could muster holding a steel cane in her hand ready to strike.

McGee turned and said, “Sorry Ma’am,” as she interrupted saying, “Mrs. DiMarco, who are you?” as she eyed both of them suspiciously. McGee inwardly sighed to calm himself before saying, “I’m…we’re friends of Tony’s…I’m Tim McGee and this is Ziva David…we think something’s wrong with him.”

She looked at him cautious as she thought ‘Another friend I don’t recognize,’ before she asked, “Where does Tony work?”

Ziva said, “Got it McGee,” as he relaxed a little and said, “NCIS Ma’am, I mean Mrs. DiMarco,” as he pulled out his ID and showed it to her before following Ziva into the apartment.

TBC
Chapter Nine - Questions by Shron
SCORNED
Chapter Nine - Questions

Ziva and McGee had both drawn their weapons out of habit as they entered the apartment. They took a quick look around then explored the rest of the apartment checking the quest room, bathroom, kitchen, and small office before McGee closed and locked the door. Nothing seemed out of place so they holstered their weapons.

They called out, “Tony!” McGee had only been in Tony’s apartment a few times and had only settled in the living room to watch a movie or the kitchen but he knew where the bedroom was and apparently so did Ziva. She was moving back and to the right where the master bedroom was located. The room was adjacent to the guest bedroom and bathroom. Ziva asked, “Didn’t that noise come from there, yes.”

McGee nodded and they moved closer.

They entered the master bedroom which was huge compared to the rest of the apartment it was twice the size of the living room. There was a beautiful headboard which looked hand craved out of a rich dark Mahogany wood supporting a king-sized bed with matching nightstands, a dresser and armoire.

There was a large flat-screened TV mounted on the wall across from a leather lounger. McGee often wondered how Tony afforded his expensive tastes.

Ziva said, “Light.” McGee flipped the light switch and frozen for just a moment at the sight before him. Tony was on floor between the bedroom and the adjoining bathroom.

He was covered in sweat with a tickle of blood at the corners of his mouth. His chest and abdomen were badly bruised but that was expected.

Tony had fought with a suspect almost twice his size…and you couldn’t exactly call Tony a small guy with his long muscular body.

Ziva kneeled next to him and checked his pulse…it was weak but there. His skin felt hot to her touch which she pointed out to McGee. McGee quickly opened his phone and dialed Naval dispatch their own version of 911…he told the emergency operator Tony’s address and asked for an approximate ETA, he knew he needed to go to Bethesda and Dr. Pitt.

Then he made a call he dreaded, dialing one on his speed dial for Gibbs.
The name “Gibbs,” came in the abrupt and irritated tone he expected…it had taken them longer to get to Tony’s because of morning rush hour traffic. He knew though Gibbs would never admit it he was worried about Tony.

McGee talked as Ziva grabbed and wet a washcloth with cold water. He didn’t relish this conversation but he didn’t have a choice. He said,
“Boss, its McGee we found Tony he’s unconscious and burning up with a fever. “Boss I called for an ambulance, ETA is about fifteen to twenty minutes,” as he watched Ziva using the cloth to wipe Tony’s face.

Tony’s body was motionless except for the slight lift and fall of his chest. McGee said, “Tony!” as he touched his shoulder but he didn’t respond.

Gibbs said, “Make sure they take him to Bethesda, I’ll call Dr. Pitt and Ducky and meet you there.”

McGee said, “Already arranged Boss…” as Gibbs cut him off saying, “Good job McGee…how did you get in the apartment. He said, “Ziva,” knowing Gibbs would understand. Someone gasped and McGee turned to see Tony’s next door neighbor Mrs. DiMarco.

McGee walked toward her and steered her out of the room.

Ziva who was back at Tony’s side said, “Oh Tony,” as she brushed his hair back and kissed him on the cheek.

McGee tried to calm Mrs. DiMarco down as he cradled his phone between his shoulder and his ear. He heard Gibbs ask, “What’s going on McGee?” He said, “Mrs. DiMarco is here Tony’s elder neighbor.” Gibbs said, ”How did she get in didn’t you lock the door?” McGee said, “Yes I did Boss, I’ll find out and call you back,” as he ended the call.

Ziva called out, “How much longer McGee…he’s starting to shiver?,” as she covered Tony with his bathrobe which she found hanging behind the bathroom door. He looked at his watch and said, “The ambulance should be here any minute.”

McGee led Mrs. DiMarco to the kitchen and seated her in a chair at the table. He fixed her a glass of water and asked, “Mrs. DiMarco how did you get into the apartment?” She said, Tony gave me a spare key…I checkin on him from time to time.” She said, “There’s an oxygen tank in his closet down on the right side would you get it please it should help?” He hesitated just a moment before running in the room and retrieving the tank which he handed to Ziva. Tony’s chest was barely moving and Ziva eyes were tear-filled.

Ziva quickly unwrapped the tubing with the attached mask and placed it over Tony’s nose and mouth before turning the release valve.

McGee said, “I’m going to check on the EMT’s and direct them in here as soon as they arrive which shouldn’t be much longer,” as he headed for the door.

Less than ten minutes later they were carrying Tony down the stairs strapped to a folding gurney. Mrs. DiMarco had promised to lock the apartment as she told McGee to call her when they knew something. You could see the worry and concern in her eyes and on her face as she handed him her number on a piece of paper.

She said, “Tony was gone all day Saturday after those men had to help him get in his apartment late Friday night that probably why he’s so sick…he doesn’t get nearly enough rest,” as she turned to re-enter Tony’s apartment to make his bed and tidy the bathroom before locking up.

Mrs. DiMarco thought to herself as she made the bed, ‘Tony such a nice young man and he would appreciate what she was doing for him like she appreciated him carrying her groceries and getting her mail. She hated seeing him sick.

McGee hadn’t stop Mrs. DiMarco but they definitely needed to talk later. ‘Who were these two men?’ Tony was completely exhausted when he left work, he had even offered to drive him home. He had said he was going home to sleep for the next thirty six hours…’Why would he go anywhere Saturday?’

The EMT’s loaded Tony in the ambulance then replaced the oxygen tank with theirs. They attached a monitor to his chest, started an IV and communicated with Dr. Pitt at the hospital. After following the doctor’s specific instructions…Tony seemed to be breathing comfortably.

One of the EMT’s announced, “We’re ready for transport.” He looked from McGee to Ziva and said, “There’s room for one of you.” McGee looked in Ziva’s eyes barely holding back tears and said, “You go on Ziva I’ll follow.” She said, “Thanks Tim,” as she hopped in the back and strapped herself in and the doors closed. The driver hit the siren and took off.

McGee turned and was shocked to see Jeanne Benoit climbing into the back of a black Mercedes-Benz. McGee pulled out his cell phone and called Gibbs. When he answered he said, “They’re on their way to the hospital Boss…Boss I think I just saw Jeanne Benoit.” Gibbs said, “Doing what?”

McGee said, “She was getting in a car outside Tony’s apartment I don’t think she knows I spotted her.” Gibbs said, “Keep a eye on her and…McGee cut in saying, “Boss there’s one more thing, Mrs. DiMarco has a spare key and she said Tony wasn’t home all day Saturday after two men help him in his apartment late Friday night.” “Boss Tony was too exhausted to go anywhere.”

Gibbs said, “I know Tim…we need to find out what the hell going on here?” as the ambulance carrying Tony pulled in and Dr. Pitt breezed by him. He said, “McGee call and put someone on Benoit, then get a full statement from Mrs. DiMarco then get your ass over here proto.” Then the call abruptly ended.

McGee walked over to the Charger and climbed in, he called Director Vance and filled him in on the events that just transpired and requested a surveillance team for Jeanne Benoit. Director Vance said, “I’ll have the team in place immediately, you get that statement and tell Gibbs, I want an update on DiNozzo’s condition as soon as possible.” McGee said, “On it Sir,” before ending the call. He waited about twenty minutes before backup arrived to cover Jeanne Benoit who hadn’t moved. He climbing out the car and headed back to Tony’s apartment…hoping Mrs. DiMarco could describe those two men.

TBC
Chapter Ten - More Questions by Shron
SCORNED
Chapter Ten ��" More Questions

Ducky watched as Tony was rushed into a large exam room followed by a visibly angry Dr. Pitt.

Ducky wondered, ‘Oh dear what has happened to Anthony…did I miss something…I should have insisted he go to the hospital Friday,’ as he was joined by Gibbs.

A nurse approached them and said, “Dr. Pitt said he’s send for you once he gets Agent DiNozzo stabilized.

Ducky thanked the nurse before he and Gibbs walked over to the waiting area and joined a visibly shaken Ziva.

They seated themselves on each of her sides. Gibbs placed his arm around Ziva and she leaned her head on his shoulder. Gibbs inwardly signed, he hated feeling helpless this was his team, his family. He couldn’t do anything to help Tony and it was looking like he needed him Friday night. He should have ordered him to allow McGee to drive him home.

Gibbs said, “Ziva talk to me.” She took a deep breath and said, “Tony died Gibbs,” barely above a whisper. He said, “No Ziva,” but she interrupted saying, “His heart stopped and they had to use that…that what is it called the shocky thing on him three times before they got him back.”

Ducky said, “Oh dear Ziva, you mean they used a defibrillator,” she nodded.

Ziva said, “His body jerked so violently and then…” as the image of Tony’s body jerking and lifting filled her mind and her voice failed her. Ducky squeezed her thigh gently and said, “Ziva don’t fret dear, Tony is a very strong young man and a survivor.” “We all know how much he’s been through in the last few years but he never gives up.”

Gibbs said, “There’s a chance more going on here than we know…something make have happened to Tony this past weekend and Jeanne Benoit is connected or involved in some way.”

Ziva and Ducky said, “Jeanne Benoit?” in unison as they looked to Gibbs for clarification. Gibbs said, “McGee spotted her outside Tony’s apartment and his neighbor said that two men supposedly ‘friends’ had to help him get home Friday.”

Ziva said, “Tony was too exhausted Friday night to meet with any friends, I know his Frat brothers sometime surprise him but he was in pain, I’m sure he would have swept them off.”

Gibbs said, “I think you mean ‘brushed them off’ inwardly smiling at his filling in for Tony, that’s the point Ziva, but there’s more.” She and Ducky both said, “What?”

Gibbs inwardly sighed this wasn’t his thing…Tony was the talker, the one who briefed the team and filled in the blanks.

Tony startled awake and tried to clutch his aching chest but someone held his arms. He forced his eyes open and an agonizing and heart wrenching groan ripped from his throat.

Dr. Pitt and other doctors and nurses openly winced. Dr. Pitt said, “Tony I need you to try and relax.”

Tony would have rolled his eyes and laughed if he could have but he feared the action would kill him.

The throbbing in his head and the pain coursing through his body was overwhelming him, he could feel the tears welling in his eyes but he didn’t care…being embarrassed was irrelevant.

Tony begged barely whispering, “Brad, please God make it stop, please,” as him muscles seem to twist beneath his skin. His body suddenly convulsed and he felt like he was being ripped apart.

Dr. Pitt yelled, “Dammit,” before ordering that they hold him down.

Dr. Pitt felt helpless, he had gotten the preliminary results from Tony’s blood test and he couldn’t chance giving him anything. He was hoping Tony would remain unconscious through the exam but that hadn’t worked out.

Tony temperature was elevated to a critical level, he was dehydrated, there were unidentified drugs in his system and he was suffering from violent spasms.

The involuntary and sudden muscle contractions were extremely painful judging from the intensity of the strain in his body as he rode them out…like now. He finally settled into unconsciousness again.

They released him and Dr. Pitt said, “Get Gibbs and Dr. Mallard in here, I need answers they have to know something.” Then he ordered, no demanded more blood tests, x-rays, a cat scan and ultra-sound. He yelled, “Move I need everything done as quickly as possible…and tell the lab to put a priority rush on the blood,” as he turned toward the entrance.

Gibbs and Ducky were allowed to enter the room by Dr. Pitt but either of them felt very welcome as they stood to the side out of the way.

Dr. Pitt said, “What the hell happened to Tony, are you two trying to kill him?” over his shoulder before turning back to his patient.

He continued his examination in complete control of the nurses and residents giving out orders in a flurry of words none of which Gibbs could understand as his staff moved quickly.

Ducky was growing more and more distraught as Dr. Pitt continued.

Dr. Pitt seemed like a totally different man, the usually calm, easy going doctor was visibly angry and irritated. He wrote something on Tony’s chart before he walked toward Gibbs and Dr. Mallard.

They took several tubes of blood and then rushed Tony out the room.

Dr. Pitt stood before Gibbs and Dr. Mallard just staring at both of them trying to reign in his anger.

Gibbs said, “Look Dr. Pitt I…” as Dr. Pitt interrupted saying, “I did look and need to know what the fuck happened?”

Ducky was stunned by Dr. Pitt’s use of profanity it just wasn’t his style but he had never seen him this angry or frustrated not even when Tony had the plague.

Ducky said, “Anthony was in an altercation with a rather large suspect who kicked him in the chest and abdomen…I told him he needed to go to the hospital but he…,” as Dr. Pitt interrupted saying, “Well you should have insisted,” making Ducky wince.

Gibbs stepped in and said, “Dr. Pitt that was out of line, you have no right to talk to Dr. Mallard like that,” as Ducky said, “He’s quite right, I should have...”

Gibbs said, “No he’s not we all know how Tony is when it comes to hospitals.” “Blaming you for this would be like blaming Dr. Pitt for Tony aversion to hospitals.” “He is the one who treated him for the plague which is where and when he developed the aversion.”

Dr. Pitt shook his he and said, “I’m sorry Ducky, Gibbs is right…I know it’s impossible to get ‘our boy’ to do anything, its just that…I can’t do anything until...”

Gibbs said, “Until what?”

Brad signed and said, “Tony’s lungs have been severely damaged for trauma…his temperature is too high.” “He unconscious right now and that’s a good thing, I’m afraid the pain level when he wakes up is going to be unbearable.” “He’s been coming in and out, the last episode was severe.” “Gibbs he begged me to make it stop and…and…I couldn’t do anything.” “I needed to know what happened to him.”

Gibbs placed his hand on his shoulder…he knew exactly how he felt.

Dr. Pitt said, “Gibbs did you know Tony hasn’t been keeping up with his treatments?” Gibbs and Ducky both said, “What treatments?”

Dr. Pitt growled and mumbled to himself, ‘I’m going to kill him if he survives,’ before saying, “Every since Tony rescued you and that young lady Maddie he has needed regular treatments.” “When he dived into that polluted water and retreated both of your bodies he got a bacterial infection in his right lung.” “When he performed CPR on both of you at the same time it made his left lung vulnerable to the infection.” “I put him on a regiment of medications that keep his lungs clear and dissipate with normal exercise, so there’s no danger of them accumulating and effecting his immune system.”

Gibbs inwardly cringed as he listened, he was responsible for causing Tony pain and what seemed like a permanent condition. He had gone off half-cocked without back-up and nearly gotten himself and Maddie killed.

Tony saved their lives and he was still paying for it and he couldn't remember even thanking him.

Ducky couldn’t believe Anthony hadn’t told him he was undergoing treatments but he understood he was a very private person. And this information would most likely create quite a firestorm at NCIS. He could see the pain in Gibbs eyes as he listened to Dr. Pitt disclosing the information. He knew that was another reason Tony wouldn't discuss it he wouldn’t want Gibbs blaming himself.

Gibbs inwardly groaned before asking, “Does that have anything to do with his current condition?”

Dr. Pitt said, “I don’t honestly know, it depends on what happen, his immune system is weaker when he doesn’t do the treatments on a regular basis.”

Gibbs said, “Tony may have been kidnapped on Friday night and returned to his apartment early Sunday morning.” “We have no idea what could have happen to him.” “We don’t know the purpose of the kidnapping or who was involved.”

Dr. Pitt eyed him thoughtfully as he said, “Who would want to harm Tony like this?” “Are you saying someone kidnapped and possibly tortured him…there was a lot of stain put on both his lungs.”

Gibbs said, “Are you sure you can’t you administer pain medication to help him?”

Ducky said, “Can’t you put him in a medically induced coma to allow his body to heal?”

Dr. Pitt said, “No and no,” as both Gibbs and Ducky gave him a confused look. He said, “I’ll try to explain, Gibbs I can’t administer any pain medication because one of the initial test I ran revealed an excessive amount of antibiotics and some other drugs I haven’t identified in Tony’s system as I mentioned.” “And that also explains why Ducky’s suggestion isn’t wise, the drugs used to induce a coma are extremely powerful…”

Ducky cut in and said, “And you may not be able to pull him out of the coma.”

Gibbs said, “What else?” as he eyed Dr. Pitt knowing he hadn’t explained all his concerns.

Dr. Pitt removed his latex gloves, tossed them in the disposal receptacle and roughly pushed hand threw his hair. He said, “Gibbs I have no idea what was done to Tony and he could die if I don’t find out soon.” “Have you heard about this newly developed chemical torture?” “There are some similarities to the drug make-up in Tony’s system but I can't recall the doctor name that conducted the research.”

He inwardly sighed and said, “I need to check on him,” as he turned and walked away thinking ‘he needed to find that article.'

Gibbs watched Dr. Pitt’s retreat until he disappeared behind double doors that read ‘RESTRICTED - MEDICAL PERSONNEL ONLY’ before turning to Ducky.

Gibbs said, “Ducky?” as realization told him everything he needed to know…Tony is dying and if they don’t find out what happened to him after he left NCIS Headquarters on Friday night there was nothing anyone could do to help him not even his ‘Guardian Angel’ Dr. Brad Pitt. He said, “Ducky we have a case to investigate and Tony’s life depends on what we find.”

He then turned and headed back to where Ziva was pacing a trench in the floor. He stopped Ziva by grabbing her shoulders and said, “Call McGee and tell him to get a team over to Tony’s apartment and have it thoroughly searched.”

Ziva said, “For what Gibbs?” He said, “We’ll know when they find it.” “I need you and McGee back at NCIS Headquarters, I want Tony’s footsteps traced from the moment he left the building Friday night.”

Ziva nodded and headed toward the exit as she opened her phone.

Gibbs took Ducky by the arm and turned him to face him before saying, “Duck I need you to call Abby and fill her in on what’s going on and let her know she needs to find out what that drug is in Tony’s blood.” “I need you to stay here and keep me informed on his condition.”

Ducky nodded and asked, “Where are you going?”

Gibbs said, “To see Jeanne Benoit,” as he headed for the exit.

TBC
Chapter Eleven - Finding Answers by Shron
SCORNED
Chapter Eleven ��" Finding Answers

Dr. Pitt told him to bite down on the mouth piece to help ride-out the pain and try to relax. The words sounded like a cruel joke how was he supposed to ride-out the pain or relax. He was losing body fluids as sweat escaped his pores. The only thing he was receiving was fluids to keep him hydrated. Brad had told him he couldn’t give him any medication until he knew what was already in his system. He would wake up in a cold sweat but he was felt like he was on fire as waves of pain assaulted his entire body. He felt like white-hot needles were being poked and jabbed into his limbs. Every muscle twisted and burned as they seemed to fight for escape.

No matter how hard he fought to relax his body arched and strained against its assault but nothing helped. Tony reached out and grabbed for the bed railing to give himself something to hold on to. His head was throbbing and he could hardly breathe then mercifully darkness claimed him until the next time.

****************************************

Tanner Sims, Jeanne’s driver pulled up in front of the Adams House Hotel. He lowered the privacy divider and said, “We have arrived Dr. Benoit.” She said, “Could you please give me a moment.” He said, “Of course Ma’am,” as he raised the divider and step out of the car.

Sims thought to himself, ‘She probably needed more than a moment judging from the sobs he had heard the entire ride from DiNozzo’s apartment.’ He stepped over to the doorman and explained that the lady would need a few minutes and doorman nodded his affirmative.

Sims pulled out his cell he needed to report to Cooper that he had picked up multiple tails following the car. Sims was pulling double duty watched both Dr. Benoit and DiNozzo. His Boss wasn’t pleased when he informed him that DiNozzo was being rushed to the hospital and McGee had returned to the building instead of going with his friend. Cooper had told him to ‘keep eyes on Benoit’ and he would get Michaels over to the hospital.

Cooper said, “Michaels you need to get to the hospital, take the antidote and see it you can get it in him.” Michaels said, “I thought you were having both samples analyzed and you haven’t got any reports back yet, do you really want to take a chance?” Cooper said, “No I don’t but what choice do we really have?” Michaels nodded and left. He was heading over to Bethesda, he had been working there for years as a Physician’s Assistance he wasn’t on schedule today but he could talk his way in they always needed extra help. The position gave him full excess to the military facility. Practically all of the Physician’s Assistance were ex-medic from every branch of the military…the government had created a position the suited them well.

Getting near DiNozzo would be a problem, he had only worked with Dr. Brad Pitt a few times and he knew he was very protective of all his patients. And he and Tony DiNozzo were friends, they had been since Dr. Pitt saved his live. Even though, the plaque DiNozzo had contracted had a ‘suicide gene’ without Dr. Pitt’s diligent and determination he wouldn’t have survived. He couldn’t switch the medication because of the color or add it to an IV. Michaels had completed every mission Cooper had every given him since they served together but this one seemed impossible.

************************************

McGee had spent over an hour interviewing Tony’s neighbor Mrs. DiMarco and he was worried.

Mrs. DiMarco said after the two men told her that Tony had been drinking to ‘wind down’ as they put it she became suspicious, Tony didn’t drink to relax, so she listened at the door. She didn’t hear Tony’s door open or closed but she did hear the elevator. She bereted herself for not checking his apartment until Saturday morning she knew something was wrong. She continued saying she had checked the apartment three more times and didn’t see Tony until late Sunday morning. She thought he was sleeping soundly so she didn’t disturb him. She had realized that she should have done something Saturday or even Friday night when things didn’t seem right...it wasn’t like Tony to not acknowledge her. Then she remembered he hadn’t spoken at all. She said, ‘I should have called Special Agent Gibbs.’ Tony had given her his card for emergencies.

Mrs. DiMarco described the two men saying they were both slightly taller and heavier than Tony with military haircuts and a muscular built. McGee asked if she could describe them to a sketch artist, she said only the one who spoke to her directly. McGee called and made arrangements to get someone over ASAP.

McGee tried to assure her that this wasn’t her fault but she was distraught by the time he was ready to leave. He stayed with her a little longer until Ziva called. He promised he would let her know what Tony’s condition was once he had gotten more information. He hated leaving her in her current state but Gibbs wanted him back a NCIS.

The tech team had arrived shortly before he left and had already found a camera and two listening devices in Tony’s apartment. McGee handed one of them Tony’s cell phone and asked for a quick check. He knew everything there was to know about computers but these guys were experts at finding things that didn’t belong. The tech said, “There a bug in his cell which I’ve disabled, it appears to have an extremely long range like a GPS it uses satellite technology.”

McGee was stunned he said, “Government issue?” The tech said, “Yeah but mostly Black Opts, but those guys are like Marines…you know ‘Once a Marine always a Marine.’ They have their own underground network and they’re hard as hell to trace…somebody with some serious cash has been looking into Special Agent DiNozzo’s life.”

McGee nodded thoughtfully as he wondered, ‘Who?’ ‘And Why?’ He said, “Special Agent Gibbs will need a full report, I’ll take what you got now bring anything and everything else you find to NCIS Headquarters as soon as you’re done.” The tech handed over several evidence bags which McGee signed for…as he headed out he said, “Let the neighbor, Mrs. DiMarco know when you’re done she’ll lock up and make sure you leave everything is in place, Agent DiNozzo is going to be thoroughly pissed as it is when he finds out his life had been under a microscope.” The tech said, “On it Agent McGee,” as he headed out the door. He took a few minutes to call and filled Gibbs and Ziva in on what he had so far.

McGee noticed Mrs. DiMarco peeking out of her door so he said, “Tony is a very strong guy remember he survived the plague against all odds, he’ll be fine and we will find out who did this whatever this is,” with resolve and authority showing no doubt. Mrs. DiMarco gave him a small smile and nodded before closing her door.

McGee prayed to God he wasn’t lying to her or himself. Someone with a lot of money and some kind of hatred or resentment toward Tony had kidnapped and chemically tortured him. He decided that whoever it was would be sorry they laid a hand on his friend.

McGee checked in again with Ziva and said, “I’ll be there in about twenty minutes, have you gotten an update on Tony?” Ziva said, “No change they’re still running test.” “McGee, Abby is freaking-out Gibbs wouldn’t let her come to the hospital, you need to get here and floor her while she running test, she kicked me out of the lab and made most unpleasant threats.” McGee automatically corrected her saying, “You mean ‘ground her’ Ziva, I’ll get there as soon as possible,” as he pulled into traffic.
Gibbs pulled up in front of the Adams House Hotel and parked. McGee had filled him in on what Mrs. DiMarco had said and Ducked had called to report no changes with Tony. He had gotten Jeanne Benoit whereabouts from the surveillance team on her. He got a curious look from the doorman but was cordially welcomed. He walked up to the front desk, showed his ID and obtained Dr. Benoit suite number before heading for the elevator.

Gibbs had been informed that Jeanne had a two bedroom suite on the tenth floor. There was an unidentified younger woman with her obviously occupying the second room in her suite. He hadn’t been to Adams House since they worked that case involving a Saudi prince and his brother attempted murder.

The hotel was a haven for the wealthy; the rooms were as big as some apartment homes that cost up to thousands per day. Dr. Benoit’s father had provided for her well into the future. Rene’ Benoit made sure her inheritance was protected from any government penalty. He knocked on the door which was immediately opened. Jeanne Benoit greeted him saying, “Come in Agent Gibbs,” as she opened the door wider and ushered him toward a large sitting area after closing the door. She said, “Agent Gibbs how is Tony doing?”

Gibbs scrutinized her momentarily before saying, “Not good at all.” The tears barely held in Jeanne’s eyes escaped and rolled down her cheeks as she reached for a tissue. Gibbs gave her a minute to collect herself then he asked, “Dr. Benoit when was the last time you saw or talked to Tony?”
Jeanne said, “I haven’t seen Tony in about four and a-half years it was after that debacle I caused with the FBI accusing him of killing my father,” as Gibbs cringed remembering the way Tony reacted to the blatant lie. Jeanne cringed as well before saying, “I know it was cruel and stupid but I was just so angry with him.”

Jeanne sighed, thinking about all the mistakes she had made before completing her answer to Gibbs’ question. She said, “The last time I talked to him was a little over three weeks ago before your team went after the drug-smuggling ring.”

Gibbs eyebrows arched at that statement. He said, “How do you know about a classified operation, did Tony mention it,” already knowing he wouldn’t have. Jeanne straightens completely realizing her slip and knowing Tony never would have revealed a classified operation. She was trying to be open and honest with him but she messed up. She said, “Of course not, Tony wouldn’t ever do that, he just said he was going on assignment and then there’s this big drug bust all over the news involving the Navy weeks later.” Gibbs eyed her curiously, NCIS was never mentioned in any news reports and neither was the Navy…the reports said, ‘Members of the armed forces’, which he pointed out to Jeanne.

Jeanne sighed again before saying, “Ok, Agent Gibbs I have my own sources.” Gibbs said, “I see, were your sources the ones who planted cameras and listening devices in my agent’s apartment?” Gibbs could tell by the expression on her face she wasn’t responsible but she knew who was. McGee had also reported that info to him just before he entered the hotel. What was found in Tony’s apartment was very pricey equipment. Jeanne didn’t answer aloud but her expression was screaming.
Gibbs decided to test his theory that Jeanne knew who was behind this. He asked, “Were your sources the ones who kidnapped Tony on Friday night and tortured him over a twenty-four hour period?”

Jeanne startled and said, “No she wouldn’t do that, that’s crazy, no it couldn’t be true,” as she gasped at the thought.

Jeanne wondered had her mother really done this, was that Tony back in her lab at the facility. Was she injecting him with drugs to torture him…no, no it couldn’t be true.

Gibbs said, “She who?” as it dawned on him she was talking about her mother, Dr. Berkley.

******************************************

Dr. Berkley hated Tony, he remembered their first unfortunate meeting.

Dr. Berkley stormed over to Tony in the bullpen two days after the undercover operation fell apart and physically assaulted him before Ziva grabbed her from behind. She actually punched him with her fist hard enough to make him fall back and injure his shoulder. He was off balance from jumping up when he saw her charging toward him. He wasn’t expecting the physical violent. He was expecting a loud and embarrassing reaming but instead her fist flew up and connected with his jaw. He fell back and hit his back against the file cabinet wincing from the impact.

Dr. Berkley had screamed at him, ‘You fucking bastard no one treats my daughter like this and gets away with it,’ as she struggled to break Ziva’s hold. Tony recovered as McGee started reading her, her rights saying, ‘You’re under arrest for assaulting a Federal Agent and you have…,’ as Tony cut in and said, ‘No McGee.’ McGee looked from to Tony to me. I looked at Tony then nodded. I said,’ Ziva escort Dr. Berkley out of the building and inform security that she is banded for NCIS Headquarters as well as the Navy base.’ Ziva said, ‘But…,’ as I cut in and said, ‘But nothing Officer David that’s a direct order.’ Dr. Berkley screamed at Tony, ‘You’ll pay for this I promise you,’ as Ziva and McGee practically dragged her to the elevator. She shot Tony one final menacing glare before the doors closed.

Tony winced as he stood upright to his full height, his back had connected with the corner of the file cabinet and it hurt. I said, ‘Go have Ducky check your back.’ Tony said, ‘Sorry Boss,’ as he headed to autopsy. Tony was blaming himself for the whole situation with Jeanne so he accepted her mother’s anger.

Ducky had discovered a bad bruise on Tony’s shoulder blade but nothing else happened after the incident.

************************************************

Gibbs wondered had she waited four and a-half years to come after Tony and what had she done to him.

Gibbs heard something from one of the rooms to his left and jumped up. He turned toward the room fingering his weapon before he said, “Is there someone else here?” “Is it your mother?”

Jeanne jumped up as well and quickly walked over to the bedroom door Gibbs was eyeing. She folded her arms across her chest and said, “My mother isn’t here and I never mentioned my mother.”

Gibbs said, “Then who’s in that room?” Jeanne stiffed and said, “None of your business, you need to leave,” as sternly as she could muster. Gibbs said, “I’m not going anywhere until you tell me why you were at Tony’s apartment this morning,” he knew he didn’t have a legal leg to stand on but Jeanne was rattled and on the offensive so he pushed for answers.

Jeanne huffed in frustration before saying, “I was going to see Tony about his…,” pausing as another loud noise came from behind the door where she was standing distracting her.

Gibbs advanced toward her and she put her hand up to stop him before she said, “You don’t have any right to search my room without a warrant,” as the door flew open and a little grabbed her leg. Then a young lady appeared and said, “Sorry Dr. Benoit, Abrienne insisted on seeing you, I was playing with her but she heard you talking.” Jeanne said, “It’s ok Danielle.”

Gibbs looked down at the beautiful little girl with sparkling green eyes and chestnut brown hair. He looked Jeanne in the eyes and said, “DiNozzo’s?” to confirm what he already knew there was no mistaking Tony’s eyes in his daughter. DiNozzo had a daughter and apparently he didn’t know she existed.

Jeanne nodded then smiled down at her daughter as she fingered her hair gently before she kneeled down beside her daughter and said, “Sweetie this is Agent Gibbs, you can say hello.”
Abrienne smiled at Gibbs and said, “Hello Agent,” as she extended her tiny hand. Gibbs smiled back and gently took her hand and shook slightly. He said, “Nice to meet you Abrienne,” as he kneeled down to her eye level.

She said, “My daddy is Agent too, you know my daddy?”

Gibbs looked at Jeanne who nodded her approval. He said, “Yes I do sweetheart,” as he stood back up.

Jeanne lifted her daughter and handed her to the young lady patiently watching the exchange between them. Jeanne said, “Danielle please take Abrienne and get her changed.” Danielle took the little girl in her arms said, “Yes Ma’am,” as she smiled at Gibbs while Abrienne waved goodbye, re-entered the room and closed the door.

Gibbs looked Jeanne in the eyes again and said, “He doesn’t know about her does he?” She said, “No that’s why I was going to see him this morning.” “I arrived at Tony’s apartment at the same time as the ambulance…so I waited…I didn’t know it was him until he was loaded on the
ambulance.”

Gibbs said, “Why do you think your mother has something to do with what happened to Tony?”

Jeanne walked back over to the couch and sat down before saying, “I haven’t mentioned anything about my mother.” Gibbs said, “No but yours eyes did, your mother attacked Tony before.” She said, “What are you talking about?” He said, “It was years ago but she threaten to make him pay for wronging you.” “Nothing happened that we’re aware of but now you come in to town to tell Tony he’s a father and he kidnapped.” “I don’t believe in coincidence, we both know how much your mother hates Tony.” “Jeanne, Tony is suffering and he could die if we don’t find out what happened to him.”

Jeanne whispered, “Dying?”

TBC
Chapter Twelve - More Answers by Shron
SCORNED
Chapter Twelve ��" More Answers

Dr. Pitt finally remembered the name that had eluded him all day. After Tony’s last episode the words he had read flashed in his mind. The similarities between Tony’s symptoms and the test subjects in the article were no coincidence, it was Dr. Sandra Berkley. Dr. Berkley was a world famous Neurosurgeon but there was another reason he knew her name, he just couldn’t recall at the moment. He was so worried about Tony, the brutal assaults on his body was affecting his heart and lungs. The pain level was so intense it elevated his heart rate and made it hard for to breathe. He was losing fluid as quickly as they could get them in him and there was no way to speed up the drip. And then as if there wasn’t enough to deal with Tony rippled the IV out twice…it was an accident but it didn’t lessen the problem it produced. They had to use restrains to restrict his movement. He was amazed by Tony’s tolerance level, though he couldn’t manage to say much he was completely aware and coherent.

Brad didn’t think he being able to achieve such a feat.

He found the article he had been searching for which was about using a combination of drugs for chemical torture. The research was military backed and Dr. Berkley was the primary. The drugs were injected into the subject to induce excruciating pain to break them and render them more pliable for lack of a best word.

The procedure was as brutal as its results the subject would receive numerous injections in almost every part of their body. He couldn’t imagine Tony handling numerous injections, he hated needles but who could blame him. He told him the phobia was his doing after all he was the who made him a human pincushion when he was treating him for the plaque. That explained why there were traces of heavy sedatives in his blood.

Tolerance to pain varied but there was no human being on earth who didn’t have limits. Dr. Berkley’s procedures were meant to push her subjects to their limits and have them begging for relief which they got when they were ready to divulge the information the interrogator was seeking. He discovered that was accomplished with an antidote that was used to stall the effect of the procedure; otherwise it would be very difficult to talk.

Tony’s symptoms were there in the report but some weren’t. He thought to himself, ‘There was something else but what?’ He continued to read over the information that had been released but it didn’t include any specifics because of the nature of the research. He stood up and headed for is office door he needed to get the original reports and if anybody could make that happen it was Gibbs but he needed to go check on Tony. He sudden remembered who Dr. Sandra Berkley was…she was Jeanne Benoit’s mother. All the pieces fell in place this was her doing she hated Tony the differences were designed to hide her involvement. He grabbed his phone and called Gibbs.

Tony had talked to him about the ill-fainted undercover assignment in confidence after ‘the shit had hit the fan.’ He had never seen Tony so despondent and broken hearted. He had told him how both Jeanne and her mother had retaliated against him. He said he could handle the physical stuff her mother dished out…he never told Gibbs about the beating he took before he managed to get away from the thugs she hired. The cracked ribs were hard to hide but Gibbs believed him when he told him Tony needed to rest to avoid another relapse. It wasn’t a total lie he hadn’t been sleeping or eating much. Tony was angry at himself for betraying everyone he cared for and the coolness that Jeanne had displayed was almost too much.

***********************************************

Jeanne said, “My mother has a research facility just over the Stateline I’m not sure but she may have had Tony there on Saturday, she was acting suspicious and she wouldn’t anywhere near the back,” as she walked over to the desk against the far wall. She removed a tablet and wrote down an address and handed it to Gibbs.

Gibbs flipped his phone open and said, “McGee take this address down and get it checked out.”

McGee said, “I’m on it Boss…,” as he heard Gibbs said, “No, I want you on Dr. Sandra Berkley I need to know everything you can find out about her and her research , if you hit any road blocks have the Director get you clearance.” McGee said, “Isn’t that Jeanne’s mother…” which received no response so he said, “On it Boss,” as he typed the name into his search engine. He then said, ”Boss, Abby thinks she has identified one of the drugs in Tony’s system that may be traceable which she’s working on, she also said it has some pretty nasty side-effects.” Gibbs said, “Report back to me as soon as you get anything,” and abruptly ended the call before turning his attention back to Jeanne. She said, “If my mother used that stuff on Tony…oh God how could she.” “Agent Gibbs I don’t have any details I only know about the intended results and…” as Gibbs interrupted her.

He said, “Do you really care about Tony and what happens to him?”

Jeanne said, “Yes, I love him and don’t think that will ever change.” “I want him to meet his daughter.”

Gibbs could see the true in her eyes so he said, “Then help me, help him…tell me where your mother is.” Jeanne hesitated a moment then said, “I can’t…,” and before she could finish Gibbs growled, moved in closer and grabbed her shoulders in the brink of an eye like he wanted to shake the information out of her. She was startled by his actions but managed to continue saying, “It’s not because I don’t want to, it’s because I don’t know.” “We argued about Tony all day Sunday, I accused her of doing something to hurt him which she denied.” “I knew she was lying by the way she was acting but I couldn’t make her admit anything…the argument just escalated from there until she left last night on her jet.” “I asked but she wouldn’t tell me where she was going,” as she stared at him still holding her tightly in place. She thought to herself, ‘How much Tony motivated such strong emotions in everyone that knew him.’

Gibbs sudden realized what he was doing and released her and backed away. He inward signed thinking that was outline. He was so worried about Tony he wasn’t thinking, he said, “I’m sorry… can you tell me which airport?”

Jeanne looked at him with empathy and said, “You didn’t hurt me…and it wasn’t at an airport it a private landing stripe in Virginia owned by her friend Dr. Ellis Spencer that’s where the jet was parked after we landed weeks ago...” Gibbs said, “Weeks ago?” as he opened his phone.

Gibbs called McGee who answered after one ring saying, “I was just about to call Boss we can’t locate Dr. Berkley but we got her research documentation and if this is what happened to Tony he’s in real trouble without the antidote,” in a flurry of words before he took a deep breath and sighed. Gibbs said, “Get the file over to Dr. Pitt and Dr. Berkley has a jet which left from a landing strip in Virginia owned by a Dr. Ellis Spencer have the flight tracked immediately.”

McGee said, “On it Boss…call Abby she’s got something.”

Gibbs said, “I’ll meet you at the hospital,” as another call was coming in which he answered saying, “Gibbs.” Pitt said, “It was…” as Gibbs interrupted saying, “Dr. Berkley, Jeanne Benoit mother.” Pitt said, “Of course you found out…I need her original research…Tony can’t possibly take much more of this, there’s an antidote.” Gibbs said, “McGee mentioned that he is on his way with the file and Abby found something…I’ll see what she’s found and head back.” Pitt said, “Hurry Gibbs.” Gibbs said, “Brad take care of Tony until we get there Dr. Berkley wasn’t working alone.”
Brad said, “You think they’re try something here.” Gibbs said, “Until we get all the facts I’m not taking any chances.” Brad hung up and ran for Tony’s room…yelling, “Security…Isolation B,” as he passed the nurses’ station. He knew Ducky hadn’t left Tony’s side but better safe than sorry.

Michaels discovered DiNozzo was in Isolation B and that he was suffering through severe episodes of pain. Dr. Berkley had skewed up in her calculations…her timetable was shot to hell this wasn’t supposed to be happening. Nothing was going as planned and DiNozzo could die if he didn’t get him the antidote according to his records the intensity of the pain was affecting his heart and lungs. His lungs being affected that was a given but his heart…well considering the prolonged elevated heart rate that was a given too. The human heart could be seriously damaged if that continued. Cooper wasn’t pleased as he explained the situation…he didn’t want to spend the rest of his life on the run from Special Agent Leroy Jethro Gibbs for letting Anthony DiNozzo die but he didn’t want to sacrifice Michaels either but as it was he was choice-less.

Michaels understood what he needed to do as he headed to DiNozzo room. When he arrived the room was empty except for DiNozzo and the NCIS ME Dr. Mallard. DiNozzo appeared to be sleep but it was restless.

He was covered in sweat and shivering slightly. According to the monitors his heart rate, temperature and blood pressure were all elevated. He approached the bed and picked up the electronic chart which confirmed the medical records. Dr. Mallard who had been with Tony for the duration didn’t recognize him so he said, “You’re new I haven’t seen you here before and I thought I had meet all of Dr. Pitt’s team,” as he stood and walked toward him. Michaels said, “I’m uh…I usually work a later shift just thought I would see what I would be up against tonight.” Ducky thought his response odd so he watched him carefully as he checked Tony’s vitals. Michaels needed to make the injection but Dr. Mallard was watching him like a hawk. He angled has large body to block the doctor’s view and pulled out the syringe.

Michaels was about to make his move went the door burst open and Dr. Pitt yelled, “Back the fuck off,” just as Gibbs and McGee entered the room with their weapons drawn. Four soldiers were on their heels poised with weapons drawn as well ready to fire at Gibbs command. Dr. Mallard backed away out of the line of fire.

Gibbs said, “I suggest you listen to Dr. Pitt,” as he moved in. Michaels lifted his hands above his head still holding the syringe. Brad looked to Gibbs and he nodded, he walked over and took the syringe from Michaels hand.

Gibbs motioned with his weapon for Michaels to come toward him. He immediately complied and moved to the end of Tony’s bed. Tony suddenly woke up as he had done several times during the long day in the throes of severe physical pain. Dr. Pitt said, “Dammit not now,” as he tightens the restrains on Tony which they used after he had rippled another IV out. He then directly his attention and said, “What’s in this syringe?” as Tony started the struggle against the restrains.

Michaels hesitated and Gibbs told the security team to hold position outside. They lowered their weapons and exited the room as Gibbs and McGee moved in closer to Michaels. He gave Michaels one of his classical glares and said, “What in that syringe? Michaels looked at DiNozzo straining to escape as the monitors when crazy.

He said, “It’s the antidote…I was about to give it to Tony.” McGee angrily said, “Agent DiNozzo’s friends can call him Tony and that doesn’t include you, why should we believe you?” as Gibbs looked at him proudly.
Tony could hear the conversation going on around him...the guy said ‘antidote’ he wanted that but Gibbs, Brad and Tim were hesitating.

Brad walked away and Ducky stepped in his line of sight…he needed to get the antidote he was so tired of the pain. This was worse than the plaque, when he coughed he felt like he was dying but right now everything hurt even his hair. Ducky was watching and listening to Brad he needed his attention but the restrains restricted any movement…he hadn’t tried to dislodge either IV.

Brad said, “I’ve seem you here we’ve work together, you’re a PA, Medic, Michaels right?” Michaels was surprised by Dr. Pitt’s recognition. He said, “Yes, now give DiNozzo the antidote he’s suffered enough.”
Tony yelled, ‘Yes’ but it was only in his mind…the pain was worsening as usual the longer he remained awake.

Tony remembered the mouth piece that was keeping him from breaking his teeth but it was also preventing him from speaking. Stage two would start soon which meant the pain would intensify until his body shut-down.

He wondered if he could push the mouth piece out as a wave of pain coursed through his body at break-neck speed and just as painful. He inwardly yelled, ‘Please just give me the injection…’ as another hard pain took his breath away.

Michaels kept his eyes on DiNozzo when he saw his seize he frantically yelled, “He needs oxygen and that shot now!!!” turning everyone’s attention toward Tony.

Dr. Pitt looked to Gibbs for permission who looked to Ducky…

Michaels huffed and said, “Do you want him to die?”

McGee said, “Boss?”

Gibbs pressed his gun to Michaels’ temple and said, “Do it Brad…” Dr. Pitt injected the content of the syringe into Tony’s IV and turned up the drip.

Michaels thought to himself ‘If Angie was lying I’m dead.’

Everyone’s eyes were on Tony waiting for a reaction.

TBC
Chapter Thirteen - Recovery? by Shron
Author's Notes:
Tony is improving but he's still in danger. Jeanne has the key to helping him but doesn't know it's in her possession.
SCORNED
Chapter Thirteen - Recovery?

Gibbs watched as the oddly colored liquid traveled the short distance and entered Tony’s bloodstream while his weapon was still pressed firmly against Michaels’ temple. He was so angry about this whole situation it was effecting his judgment…he knew what he was doing was wrong. Holding a gun to a suspect’s head was against more regulations than he could name, but he needed something to contain his rage. He wanted to hit someone or break something. Tony didn’t deserve this not after all the pain he had already suffered through but here he was again caught up in someone’s sick game.

Dr. Berkley was clearly insane, how she could do this to her grandchild’s father was beyond his realm of understanding.

Almost twenty minutes had passed and nothing.

Michaels closed his eyes and prayed, he had no doubt Gibbs would carry out exactly what he was threatening if DiNozzo’s condition didn’t improve soon…he knew the gun pressed to his head was there because Gibbs was making a point. The man lying before them was important to Gibbs and if something didn’t happen soon someone would pay…he was hoping it wasn’t him and that Angie hadn’t lied.

The long agonizing minutes of waiting for some sign the antidote was working was getting to everyone.

Doctors Pitt and Mallard were both hovering over Tony checking his vitals and watching all the monitors like hawks. Dr. Pitt checked Tony’s vitals for the third or fourth time as Ducky looked from him to the monitors. Tony’s heart rate had started to return to normal and his breathing was evening out but his temperature was still evaluated. Brad had removed the restrains and the oxygen mask…after which he removed the protective mouth piece. He put the oxygen mask back in place and pulled out his stethoscope.

Brad listened to Tony’s lungs carefully checking for any blockage. Even though, Tony breathing was steadily improving his oxygen levels were still off by more than what he was comfortable with.

Dr. Pitt turned to Michaels and said, “How does this antidote work?” “What should we expect?”

Michaels tensed, he didn’t know the answer all he knew about the antidote was what Angie had said…and one other thing that that wasn’t what they wanted to hear. Gibbs tensed and gave Michaels a less than gentle nudge with the barrel of his gun. Michaels said, “I’m not sure…” as Tony groaned then slowly opened his eyes drawing everyone’s attention to him…he squinted at the bright lights above his head.

Tony felt a little disoriented but the pain level he had been experiencing had reduced to manageable but the lights were much too bright. He lifted his arm and laid it across his eyes to block them. They made the headache he was sporting worse and his eyes were hurting. The pain in his eyes wasn’t like before when it felt like needles piercing his retinas, but it was bad enough to make him wince.

Tony’s body had relaxed after another few minutes and the constant trembling he had been enduring slowed to a stop as the tension in his muscles finally eased.

McGee said, “Tony I’ll get the light,” as he walked over to the wall and flipped the switch controlling the lights directly over his bed. Tony took a couple deep breathes before he moved his arm and pulled the oxygen mask away with Brad’s help. Brad’s smile widened at Tony’s expression went from was somewhere between ‘what the hell’ and ‘what are you smiling at’ as Brad touched his forehead which was still warm to his touch.

Tony paused wondering if his voice was even working his throat was dry and scratchy. He said, “Thanks Tim,” in a raspy whisper which sounded odd to his own ears. Tim nodded as Ducky smiled and said, “Anthony good to have you back with us,” as he looked at him guardedly. Tony tried to clear his throat but it just made it hurt he said, “Thanks Ducky,” ignoring the discomfort as he looked at Gibbs and the man with the gun to his head at the foot of his bed.

Tony’s arched his eyebrow in uncertainty as he said, “Boss is everything okay,” in a still raspy but slightly louder voice. Tony recognized the guy as one of the Physician Assistants’ he had seen on one or two occasions when he had appointments with Brad at the hospital. Michaels inwardly sighed as the weapon was lowered and released the breath he had been holding since DiNozzo groaned and opened his eyes.

Gibbs gave Tony a rare public smile and said, “Shouldn’t I be asking you that question?” as he walked closer to the head of the bed and rustled Tony’s already wayward hair as relief flooded his body. Tony was like a son to him even though their age different was only around fifteen years, he and Tony hit it off the first day they meet. It wasn’t obvious at to anyone else but it soon became apparent they would have a long lasting relationship.

Tony ‘grew’ on him faster than any agent he had ever worked with. Tony needed someone to watch his back and look after him. Gibbs needed someone to look after so things worked perfectly, the better they got to know each other the closer they became. Tony needed a ‘father figure’ in his life and Gibbs needed someone to fill the void in his. Gibbs hated seeing Tony in pain.

Tony whispered, “My head hurts but I think I’m okay ‘Dad’,” as he gave him a weak smile.

Gibbs smirked knowing Tony was referring to his overly protective behavior as he said, “You better be.” He nodded at McGee who cuffed Michaels’ hands behind his back and ushered him out the door. Gibbs said, “You had me pretty worried.” “Do you remember anything about what happened to you after you left NCIS headquarters Friday night?”

**************************************************

Michaels could see the relief in Gibbs eyes and the genuine concern he showed for DiNozzo. The father-son dynamic they shared was clearly real…as they watched DiNozzo’s movements they witnessed the visits to Gibbs home with pizza and beer in hand. They also noticed how frequently he crashed on the ‘Boss’ couch while they worked hard cases. McGee ignoring the size different between himself and Michaels pushed him into a corner snapping him out of his thoughts and said, “You better pray Tony recovers completely because I wouldn’t want to be you if he doesn’t,” with a suppressed growl. Michaels inwardly thought just how right McGee was…he and Cooper never ignored their instincts but they let greed supersede commonsense. When Dr. Berkley approached them with the job they should have walked away…the moment they knew a Federal Agent was the target but the obscene amount of money she was offering them meant retirement. They put stipulations on how far they would go…meaning no permanent harm would come to the target but things didn’t work out as planned and they were all screwed…now there only option was to run.

*********************************************************

Tony said, “Everything is really fuzzy Boss,” as he winced at what felt like a needle being jabbed into his temple. Gibbs looked up a Dr. Pitt and said, “What just happened,” as he watched Tony massaging his temple but before Brad could respond Tony said, “Don’t know Boss,” as a wave of nausea made him swallow hard. After the pain passed he said, “Please need to, breathing hard before continuing…I need to sit up?”

Brad immediately pressed a button and the bed lifted slowly to a semi-sitting position. Brad then pulled his light scope out and checked both of Tony eyes. He said, “Tony is a migraine coming on?” Tony said, “Not sure but my head hurts pretty bad and I feel kinda nauseated,” as he winced again and closed him eyes.

Tony’s honesty surprised Gibbs not because Tony lied to him but he was notorious for understating when he was in pain…he hadn’t replied with his patterned ‘I’m fine,’ which meant things hadn’t improved as much as they all hoped. He was still in a lot of pain…the ambiguity in his voice was telling, Tony was feeling something he didn’t understand.

Tony was more analytical than most would think as long as he understood the origins of something he could deal with it whatever it was but this was different. There was all this pain and he didn’t know why he was experiencing it there were gaps in his memory and that bothered him more than he was willing to admit to anyone…even Gibbs.

Ducky said, “Perhaps we should allow Anthony to get some rest and then he can answer some questions.”

Dr. Pitt said, “I agree we should let Tony get some rest and I need to run some additional blood tests so I can track the effects of that so called antidote.”

Gibbs said, “Tony we’ll be back later you get some rest,” as he squeezed his shoulder gently and Tony said, “On it Boss.” Tony hated worrying Gibbs and he was definitely worried holding a loaded gun to a man’s head was extreme even for him. He wanted to tell him what he remembered but his head was throbbing and his throat hurt…maybe some sleep would help. The excruciating pain had eased to dull aches and infrequent twinges and at least he was able to breathe without wanting to scream and but he was just so damn tired. Apparently that thirty six hours of sleep he was seeking didn’t happen.

Gibbs headed toward the door but he stopped mid-stride and looked back at Tony who gave him a weak smile. They both knew things weren’t quite right.
Ducky said, “I’m going to check on Abigail she’s supposed to have some results that may be useful.” “That antidote seems a bit too good to be true,” as he and Dr. Pitt covered Tony with a sheet and tried to make him more comfortable.

Brad said, “You get that too…Ducky that antidote worries me it just…I don’t know something about it.” “Tony’s still in more pain than he exhibiting I could see it in his eyes.” “I don’t like that he still has a headache and the nausea that’s accompanying it is usually a sign of a migraine but this seems worse.” “His temperature is still 101 and that’s not good either.”

Tony seemed to have fallen asleep and his breathing and oxygen levels were continuing to improve but Brad wanted, needed more information on that so called ‘antidote’ and something about it was bugging him.

Ducky nodded and said, “I agree all of that is most troubling, McGee laid the research report on the table there,” as he point to a large file. “You take a look at that and perhaps as I said Abigail can shed some additional light on what we’re dealing with,” as he gave him a reassuring squeeze on the shoulder and said, “I’m sure you’ll figure this out,” as he headed out the door.

Dr. Pitt picked up the phone, called the nurses’ station and ordered additional blood test. He then called his assistant and instructed him to cancel or cover any obligations he had scheduled for the next few days. He was going to give his undivided attention to Tony’s case. He looked at Tony and said, “I know you’re not sleep,” as he grabbed the file.

Tony said, “I’m trying but everything still hurts, especially my head…,” before he gritted his teeth. Brad tossed the file on the recliner in the corner he was heading for and said, “Tony talk to me?” as Tony grabbed his arm in a bruising grip. He winced from the pain but didn’t try to pull away. Tony released him after a few minutes and grasped for air as tears escaped his closed eyes.

Brad said, “Tony tell me what happened,“ as he rubbed the red area on his arm and checked the monitors. His oxygen levels were up so he didn’t stop Tony as he pushed the oxygen mask away.

Tony’s chest was rising and falling as he tried to relax his body. He whispered, “Needles,” as he opened his eyes and tried to focus. Brad said, “Tony, I need you to concentrate and tell me what happened,” as he checked his eyes again and pushed his hair back from his forehead subconsciously checking his temperature.

Tony’s throat was dry and he needed water but he avoided asking for it afraid it would cause him to vomit from the nausea. He looked at Brad but before he could decide to chance taking a drink Brad lifted his head slightly and pressed a cup to his lips as he said, “Sip slowly.” He did as instructed letting the cool liquid trickle down his parched throat. His stomach flip flopped unpleasantly and he stopped. Brad lowered his head to the pillow and said, “Better?” He nodded slightly. Brad said, “Good now talk to me.”

Tony said, “It felt like when you were treating me after the plaque…the constant injections, the needles but they were everywhere at the same time,” as he suddenly shivered from a mental replay. Brad said, “Must have been extremely painful if that grip on my arm was any indication.”
Tony said, “Sorry I felt like…like I was falling needed something to hold on to.” “It’s was weird, I haven’t felt like that since I was a kid.” Brad could see the grief in Tony eyes, he had told him above the reoccurring dreams that followed his mother’s death when he was a child.

Tony said, “Brad,” getting his attention before continuing, “Tell Gibbs there were two of them about six feet, four inches or more, around two hundred fifty pounds of muscle, same height and built as Michaels.” “I didn’t see their faces.” ”They flanked me on both sides, rubbed something on my neck that burned before I could react, too damn tired to even turn the key, my eyelid felt like lead all of a sudden.” “Then nothing until I felt really cold, my chest hurt so bad I thought,” as everywhere...all over my entire body…everywhere,” as the replay again made him shiver. He then said, “I was in this fog and I couldn’t stop them.”

Tony cringed as he said, “I felt like I was being violated,” as the vague memories made him tremble and his breath hitch painfully.

Brad said, “Tony easy it’s ok…take a deep breath and try to relax…you’re safe here.”

Tony sighed, he hated feeling vulnerable but he couldn’t help it the flashes of memories had rattled.

Brad said, “I’ll tell Gibbs, what you remembered, anything else?” but it was too late Tony had done exactly as instructed relax and dozed off never hearing the question. Brad checked the monitors and whispered, “That’s good you get some rest we’re figure this out I promise,” as he looked at his friend filled with apprehension hoping he wasn’t lying. Brad inwardly thought, ‘Tony doesn’t deserve any of this and I’m going to fix this one-way or another.’

Brad walked toward the door when he noticed Gibbs was still outside talking to Michaels as McGee looked on. He stepped outside and signaled for McGee to come over. He passed on what Tony had said before he returned to the room and closed the door behind him. He could see Tony was really sleeping this time so he sat down in the recliner, turned on the reading light, and opened the research file. He began to read as he thought, ‘let’s see what you were up to Dr. Berkley.’

***************************************************

Gibbs told the guards to make transportation arranges to take Michaels to NCIS Headquarters. Then he pulled Michaels to the side and said, “We already know you were working for Dr. Sandra Berkley, I need to know where she is and exactly what she did to Agent DiNozzo.” Michaels didn’t response he just stood at attention looking straight ahead.

Gibbs said, “Marine why, would you involve yourself in the kidnapping of a Federal Agent?” Michaels lifted eyebrow told Gibbs he was reading the man right. He said, “At ease Marine,” and Michaels complied assuming the position without even thinking like any good Marine. He inward sighed at his reaction but he never disobeyed a Gunny Sergeant’s order…too many years in the military had conditioned him to accept and obey.

Gibbs arched his eyebrow and said, “At some point you decided you didn’t like what was happening to Agent DiNozzo and you risked getting caught to help him…I need to know where Dr. Berkley is and what she did to him...we both know he’s not out of danger.” Michaels knew he had to proceed carefully and give up just enough information to help without betraying his team. Cooper would save him if he could they had an exit plan in place.

Michaels looked Gibbs in the eyes and said, “I didn’t know she was insane…she injected him with several drugs and something happened with his lungs and he almost died twice.” “Her assistant a young lady named Angie was about to give him the antidote during one of episodes when Berkley stopped her, I grabbed it just in case.” “I told her upfront I wouldn’t be involved in the death of a Federal Agent.” “I heard DiNozzo was brought here so I tried to get him the antidote, Berkley didn’t know I took it.” “I’m really not exactly sure how it works…Angie wasn’t very forthcoming.”

Gibbs listened as the highly trained Marine carefully told him what he wanted him to know without implicating anyone else other than Berkley and her assistant Angie. Michaels main concern right now was protecting his team and Gibbs main concern was finding out exactly what was done to one of his team member’s, Tony didn’t deserve any of this. Gibbs could tell by the well chosen words and bits of information, Michaels was covering. He said, “Michaels right?” as he nodded. He then asked, “What is you’re not telling me.” “What is this Angie’s last name and where is she?”

Michaels said, “I never found out and I don’t know.” “And before you ask again I don’t know where Dr. Berkley is, the last time I saw her she was with her daughter Jeanne Benoit.” Gibbs said, “Where exactly was that?”
“Was it at the medical facility across the state line?” as he inwardly smirked at Michaels’ expression. Michaels hesitated thinking ‘Cooper had said that he and Kelley had made sure the facility was sanitized a couple days ago,’ but he wanted to double check…he wasn’t sure that was even possible. Gibbs team was already working a lot faster than they expected. He had tried to school his expression but he knew Gibbs picked-up on it immediately.

McGee said, “Boss ,” as he walked over and whispered what Dr. Pitt had passed on from Tony with his back turned to Michaels.

Gibbs listened as he watched Michaels, who matched Tony’s description perfectly...which meant he was just one of the two kidnappers who took Tony. Michaels was hesitating for the second time. He now knew there was at least one other man working with him of the same stature. He leaned in and told McGee to run all known associates. McGee said, “Already done Boss, I’ll have to go outside and retrieve the information for my laptop,” as he walked away and nodded at the guards.

Michaels was huge compared to McGee only by a couple inches in height but he seriously outweighed both him and Gibbs. The man was two hundred and fifty pounds of pure muscle, he knew Gibbs was more than capable of taking him down if necessary but he wasn’t taking any chances all it took was a nod to reposition the guards.

Gibbs felt another twinge of guilt knowing he had pushed Tony too far…they never would have taken him so easily if he was at the top of his game.
Tony had improved his fighting skills over the years and he may or may not have been able to take them both down but at least he would have had a chance. He had seem Tony take down three bigger men during an arrest before it cost him a broken rib and a punctured lung but the other guys faired a lot worse.

Tony was more than capable of holding his own in a fight but a pissed and determined Tony was a suspect’s worst nightmare.

Gibbs wasn’t offended by McGee actions. The two Marines who remained as the others went to make transportation arrangements moved over next to Michaels flanking him on both sides daring him to make a threatening move.

Danielle listened closely as Jeanne called the hospital for the third time. She wasn’t able to get any information. She continued to listen as a frustrated Jeanne spoke aloud, “I can’t just sit and wait, I need to know how Tony was doing,” as she paced back and forth. She still couldn’t believe her mother had done such horrible things to her granddaughter’s father. She had read over her mother’s note and figure out the subject she was referring to was Tony is wasn’t obvious but there was enough physical information to draw the conclusion. It wasn’t like her mother to leave anything about her work lying around…but there is was just sitting there for her to read.

The heated argument that followed carried over to the next day and resulted in her mother’s departure or so it seemed. The truth was her mother wanted to gloat before she made her escape. Her mother couldn’t resist ‘sticking the knife in and twisting it’ and her mother called her father evil.
Jeanne picked up her cell and called Sims her driver and instructed him to be out front in fifteen minutes. Jeanne Benoit was determined to see Tony no matter what Agent Gibbs said. She called out to Danielle and said, “I going out for awhile text me if you or Abrienne need anything,” as

Abrienne ran out and leaped into her arms.

Abrienne said, “Mommy I go too,” as she clung to Jeanne’s neck burying her face in the crook. Jeanne squeezed her daughter tightly against her. She understood how her daughter was feeling. She wasn’t being much of a mother, uprooting her life and neglecting her. She was so worried about Tony she had let Danielle take her place in her’s daughter’s life.

*************************************************************

Danielle quickly texted a message to her father, Cooper…which read,
'Benoit heading to Bethesda.’ Danielle didn’t like spying on Dr. Benoit she liked her, her daughter and the job but her father wouldn’t ask to do anything that wasn’t important. She closed her phone and hurried after Abrienne.

Cooper looked at his cell as Sims turned to him and said, “What’s the plan Boss?” Cooper said, “Recon, I should have heard from Michaels by now.” “Dr. Benoit wants to go to the hospital make it happen…try to make contact with Michaels.” “Gibbs’ team is living up to their repetition they located the facility.” “He had people there when Kelley and I arrived.” “I don’t think we missed anything earlier but just in case we need to move.” “Danielle said Gibbs talked Jeanne out of the address almost immediately.”

Cooper inwardly ‘shook his head’ thinking back on all the mistakes he made…the first being taking the job in the first place.

Sims said, “Exit plan.” Cooper said, “Yes, but first we need to wrap-up some loose ends and I need to check in with Danielle, my daughter can decide what she wants to do…I won’t force her to go underground there’s nothing to connect us.” “And then there’s DiNozzo…we have to make sure he’s alright…the test results on those drugs are due back shortly, my chemist said their one component he’s having trouble indentifying …you get going, check in as soon as possible.”

Sims said, “On it Boss,” as he left heading for the Adams House Hotel.

Abby Sciuto’s emotions were all over the place, she was angry, annoyed, irritated, exasperated and aggravated.

The nurse behind the desk was returning her glare.They had been arguing for the last ten minutes. Abby was demanding to see Agent Anthony DiNozzo and the nurse was telling her why that wasn’t going to happen even though they were co-workers. No one was able to see Agent DiNozzo without proper authorized and there was no Abby or Abigail Sciuto on the list.

Abby explained how it must have been an oversight but the nurse wasn’t budging.

Abby couldn’t believe they forgot to put her on the list but it was just adding to the bad day she was having. Tony hadn’t come down to lab to see her on Monday morning before 8am to greet her with his dazzling smile and a Caf-Pow, then she finds out he hadn’t shown up for work. Then they find his unconscious, barely breathing and burning up with fever. Then Gibbs wouldn’t let her come to the hospital. And then the chemicals she found in Tony’s blood were toxic…the potential they possessed for inflicting extreme pain were off the charts.

Abby had to tell Dr. Pitt what he was dealing with or Tony was in for a world of hurt.

When Ducky exited the elevator, he saw a clearly irritated and agitated Abby at the nurses’ station in emergency where Tony was originally brought in…glaring at the on-duty nurse.

Ducky walked up beside her and said, “Abby.” “Abby.” When she didn’t react to him he said, “Abigail!” trying to draw her attention. “Abigail come with me and leave the nice young lady along.”

Abby startled and turned to glare at an unfazed Ducky and growled, “She wouldn’t tell me where Tony is, she wouldn’t even tell me how he’s doing and she’s not nice.” Ducky said, “Now Abigail the young lady is only following procedures…come with me.” Abby huffed and said, “Stop calling me Abigail, Ducky you know I don’t like to be called that and how could you guys leave me off the authorized visitors list.”

Ducky said, “If was merely an oversight, we were so concerned with young Anthony…things got a bit muddled.” “Well young lady I did say Abby twice and I need your undivided attention and calling you Abigail seems to work…we have a job to do.” “Anthony is resting now and his condition has improved a bit but he’s needs our help he’s far from well.”

Abby said, “I know Ducky…I know…can I see Tony?” Ducky stopped, gave her a cautious smile and said, “I’m not sure you want to see him just yet.” Abby looked hurt but she understood, seeing Tony right now might not be wise considering she needed to concentrate on helping Dr. Pitt help him. She nodded, shot a disapproving look at the nurse and followed Ducky to the elevators.

TBC
End Notes:
Sorry this has taken so long but real life doesn't aways allow time for fun.
This story archived at http://www.ncisfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=4450