Poisoned and Shot by ziva54382
Summary: Ziva is poisoned and shot all in a month. Can life get any worse or will a certain someone be there for her for the rest of her life?
Categories: Gen Characters: Abby Sciuto, Anthony DiNozzo, Donald Mallard, Leroy Jethro Gibbs, Timothy McGee, Ziva David
Genre: Action, Drama, Hurt/Comfort
Pairing: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 6 Completed: No Word count: 3939 Read: 16607 Published: 08/15/2012 Updated: 08/19/2012

1. Poisoned and Shot by ziva54382

2. Chapter 2 by ziva54382

3. Chapter 3 by ziva54382

4. Chapter 4 by ziva54382

5. Chapter 5 by ziva54382

6. Chapter 6 by ziva54382

Poisoned and Shot by ziva54382
Author's Notes:
Ziva is poisoned and shot all in a month. Can life get any worse or will a certain someone be there for her for the rest of her life?
Ziva looked up from the paperwork she had been doing to find Tony and McGee bickering over a bet that neither one wanted to lose. As the two guys sat at their desks, a loud crash made them jump. Turning around, the three agents saw Abby fall as her high heel got stuck in the gap between the elevator and floor. Ziva shot up straight away and rushed over to her friend who was screaming with pain.

"Abby, what happened?" asked Ziva.

"My heel got stuck. I think I broke my ankle," replied Abby.

"Come on, I'll take you to the hospital."

"Thanks but it's okay. Ducky got a new x-ray machine yesterday. I'll be the guinea pig."

"Alright, lets go." Ziva helped Abby stand up and they got back into the elevator. Ziva pushed the button marked A for autopsy. A few seconds later, the doors opened and Ziva helped Abby into Ducky's autopsy room.

Ducky looked up in shock when he heard the door to his autopsy room open. Abby was as white as a sheet and Ziva was struggling to hold Abby up. Ducky rushed over and put Abby's left arm around his shoulders and he helped Ziva guide Abby to one of his autopsy tables.

"Ziva!" shouted Abby as she sat down.

Ducky turned around to find Ziva leaning on an autopsy table for support. She was breathing heavily and holding her stomach.

"Ziva, you aren't well. Lay down for a while please," said Ducky.

Ziva had come to Ducky two days before because she had been feeling sick and tired. Ducky had quickly determined that she had been working too hard and not been eating enough. He had recommended that Ziva take some time off from work so she could rest. Ziva had not agreed but Gibbs had sided with Ducky, as usual, and ensured that Ziva went home.

Today was Ziva's first day back at work. And, as usual, McGee and Tony were too busy arguing to notice anything else. So it had become her 'duty' to watch out for everyone else, no matter the cost to herself. Her health was not improving and she had been feeling dizzy for a couple of hours now.

"Ducky, you have to help her," said Abby.

There was a slight sadness in her voice. After a small setback where Ziva's half brother, Ari, had shot Abby's best friend, Kate, the two girls had become best friends.

"Ziva, sit down please," said Ducky.

Ziva slowly lifted herself onto another autopsy table. She was shaking.

"Have you eaten breakfast today Ziva?" asked Ducky.

Ziva nodded and lifted her head to look at the medical examiner.

"What's going on Ziva? If you don't talk to me, I can't help you, my dear," said Ducky.

"I don't know Ducky. I was okay for the last two days. I only started feeling sick again a couple of hours ago," replied Ziva.

"Have you had a boyfriend lately?"

"No, I broke up with him about a month ago."

"Have you been resting properly?"

"Yes, at least I think I have. The nausea starts when I drink out of my water bottle."

"I can test the bottle when I'm done Ziva. I think you should get checked out Ziva though. You might have ingested something dangerous," said Abby while Ducky bandaged her ankle. "Thanks Ducky."

"No problem Abby. Its only sprained. Abby's right Ziva. Go to the hospital or I'll tell Gibbs to make you go," said Ducky. His eyes were sparkling.
Chapter 2 by ziva54382
"Ziva David?" called the receptionist. Ziva had gone to the hospital after Gibbs had driven her there.

"Yes, that's me," said Ziva.

Ziva stood up and followed the receptionist to a room. It was empty and Ziva sat on a chair while she waited for the doctor to arrive.

Five minutes later, the door opened and Ziva realised that she had been daydreaming. She looked up and smiled at the doctor as he sat down in the chair behind the desk.

The doctor introduced himself as Doctor Smith and pulled a pad of paper and pen towards himself.

"Okay Ziva, tell me what's wrong," said Dr Smith.

"I'm not entirely sure. Three days ago, I wasn't feeling well so the ME at work suggested I take a couple of days off. I did and I was fine. I went back to work this morning and I started feeling sick again," answered Ziva.

"Alright, it sounds like you may have ingested something. Is there a something that makes you feel sick?"

"Yeah, usually it happens when I drink from my water bottle."

"Do you have a particular bottle for work?"

"Yes. I use it because it is bigger than a normal bottle."

"I think I might do a couple of tests and see if I can figure out what the problem might be."

"Okay. What kind of tests though? I mean, is it things like a blood test, or is it something a bit more complex?"

"I'll do a blood test and a tox screen. We'll take it from there."
*****************************************************************************
"Okay Ziva, the results are back. The tox screen showed that your blood has three times the recommended dose of insulin in it. I'm glad you came to me when you did because if you don't get treatment within the next month, there is the possibility that you will die. You don't have to decide yet, but I need to have an answer by the end of the week," said Dr Smith.

"What's the treatment?" asked Ziva.

"Radiation injections for a start."

"Okay. Thank you for your time."
Chapter 3 by ziva54382
"Ducky, I need to ask you something," said Ziva. She had just gotten back from the hospital. "I found out why I haven't been well."

"Ziva, what did the doctor say?" asked Ducky.

"He did a tox screen and found that I had three times the normal amount of insulin in my blood. He said that I'll need radiation injections."

"That's okay. Just be aware that the radiation can make you sick. I promise that I'll do my best to look after you though. If you need anything, just let me know. When are you starting the treatment?"

"I don't know yet. It has to be by the end of the week. I want to start tomorrow but I don't want to tell Gibbs. And I especially do not want Tony to find out."

"I'll talk to Gibbs for you Ziva. Start the treatment in the morning and I'll ensure you get some time off my dear."

"Thanks Ducky."

"No problem Ziva. But, until tomorrow, you are still working. Can you take this to Gibbs for me please?"

Ziva nodded and took the paper in Ducky's outstretched hand. She headed upstairs and found Abby blocking her path.

"Abby, what's wrong?" asked Ziva.

"You can't go up, there's a madman with a gun up there. He's using Tony as a hostage, McGee's unconscious, and Gibbs is trying to convince the guy to let Tony go," replied Abby.

Ziva immediately turned around and walked up the stairs, ignoring Abby's words of warning. Ziva had her gun and knife, and everyone agreed that she was dangerous.

Quietly, Ziva walked up behind the gunman and nodded at Gibbs. She saw Gibbs' eyes and knew straight away that Gibbs understood what she was going to do.

"Hey, let my partner go!" shouted Ziva.

Startled, the gunman turned around and dropped Tony. The gunman pointed his gun at Ziva, but before he had the chance to do anything else, Ziva had thrown him to the ground.

"Owww! Get off me!" screamed the gunman.

"Why are you here?" asked Ziva.

"Why do you want to know?"

"Answer my question!"

"I was sent to kill Ziva David. That's why I'm here!"

"Who sent you?"

"Eli David. He said I would get a reward for her death."

"That's not going to happen. You see, my father obviously hasn't really noticed that I'll never be vulnerable anymore. Yes, I am Ziva David. You're under arrest!"

Ziva handcuffed the gunman and pulled him to his feet. She looked up to find the whole of the third floor clapping and cheering.

"Well done Ziva," said Gibbs as Tony embraced her.

Ziva smiled at Gibbs and returned Tony's hug before helping McGee get up.

"What happened?" asked McGee groggily.

"Ziva took down the gunman and got a confession out of him," said Tony with a huge grin on his face.

Suddenly, Ziva remembered how sick she was. Her decision to start the treatment the next day was dawning on her and she was scared.

"Gibbs, I need to speak to you," said Ziva.

Gibbs followed Ziva to his 'conference room', otherwise known as the elevator, and allowed Ziva to talk.

"So, I have to start treatment by the end of the week. The only side effect is that the radiation injections can cause you to get sick. I'm scared Gibbs," said Ziva as she looked into her boss' eyes.

Gibbs looked down at his favourite agent and he felt his heart break. Ziva was just a young woman and beneath the tough exterior was a very vulnerable personality.

"There's no reason to be scared Ziva. You're strong and if anyone can get through this, it's you. I'll be right by your side through the whole process if you need me sweetie. I promise," said Gibbs. He hoped that Ziva could see that he was being truthful.

"Thank you Gibbs. At least I can count on you, not like my father. I can't believe he's still trying to kill me."

"He's never going to give up Ziva. But I know a way of making him believe you are dead."

"If you can do that, I will be forever grateful to you Gibbs."

Gibbs smiled at Ziva and promised that he would stop her father from hurting her.
***************************************************************************
"Are you ready for this Ziva?" asked Dr Smith.

It was the next day and Dr Smith had just admitted Ziva to Bethesda Naval Hospital.

"No, but I never will be. I just want to get this over with," replied Ziva.

"Alright, this may hurt a little."

Dr Smith rolled up Ziva's sleeve and injected ten millilitres of radiation into Ziva's arm. After that, he picked up an IV needle and stuck it into Ziva's stomach.

"This will come out tonight Ziva. It's just to get you started sweetheart," said Dr Smith.

Ziva was scared. She knew that the doctor was only helping her but she couldn't stop herself from wishing she hadn't agreed to the treatment. Just as Ziva was about to tell the doctor that she had changed her mind, Gibbs walked in. He sat on the edge of the bed and picked up Ziva's hand. She was shaking. Gibbs squeezed Ziva's hand and gave her one of his very rare, gorgeous smiles.

Suddenly, Ziva felt better and stopped shaking. She smiled at Gibbs before letting the radiation take over. She fell asleep just as Gibbs was leaving.
Chapter 4 by ziva54382
*A Week Later*

"Good morning Ziva," said Gibbs as Ziva sat at her desk.

"Hi Gibbs," said Ziva cheerfully. "Thanks for being there for me last week."

Ziva had gone home three days earlier. The radiation injections had fixed the extra insulin and she had gotten better without any other issues. Gibbs had spent at least an hour each day at the hospital with her, making her smile and laugh.

"Not a problem Ziva. Oh, and your father won't be bothering you anymore. he thinks that you were blown up in a nightclub last week," said Gibbs.

"How did you manage that?" asked Ziva.

"Abby made a ballistics gel version of you and we used some special effects, courtesy of DiNozzo, to make the 'nightclub' blow up on the news."

"And he believed it?"

"He sure did. He called Vance about an hour later asking for confirmation. Of course, Vance lied to him, as usual, and said yes. You're father honestly couldn't have been happier. He didn't even try to hide it."

"Thank you Gibbs."

Ziva turned to face the elevator as she heard the doors open, blowing out a sigh of relief that she would now be safe. Tony and McGee both stepped out of the elevator, almost running into each other in their attempt to reach Ziva first.

"DiNozzo, McGee, slow down. She isn't going anywhere," said Gibbs in exasperation.

"Sorry boss," said the two guys in unison.

Ziva stood up and walked around her desk. The two guys each attempted to get to Ziva but were surprised when she hugged Abby first.

"Hey, no fair. We were first," said Tony.

"Too bad. Fighting over me doesn't work. Abby is the one who gets a hug and I have to go to the bathroom now. Bye, bye," said Ziva, smiling as she walked toward the toilets.

"Boss, that's not fair," pouted Tony. Life isn't fair DiNozzo. Ziva's right, fighting over her isn't going to get you anywhere," said Gibbs.

Tony and McGee both turned around and headed toward their desks. Five minutes later, they stood up again, picked up their bags and followed Gibbs and Ziva to the elevator.
*****************************************************************************
An hour had passed since they had arrived at the crime scene. Ziva and Tony were in the small gathering of trees, picking up evidence that had landed there after a naval fighter jet had landed there, carrying four dead marines, each with their eyes gouged out and their lips cut off.

McGee was taking statements and Gibbs was making phone calls to organise a search warrant for the naval base in Quantico.

"Well, maybe I want to search Quantico because that's where the plane was coming from," said Gibbs. He was annoyed.

Ziva, who had been eavesdropping on Gibbs' phone call, turned to Tony and told him what she had heard.

"You aren't listening to me Tony," said Ziva.

Suddenly, Tony pulled Ziva to the ground as a bullet went flying past them.

"Thank you Tony," said Ziva as she stood up. "Maybe we should go now."

At the edge of the trees, another bullet came flying past. Avoiding the bullet proved a challenge though. Several more bullets came flying towards them. Tony jumped behind a tree. He attempted to pull Ziva towards him, but, when he finally succeeded, it was to find that Ziva was bleeding from a bullet wound in her chest.

"Help!" shouted Tony as he gently laid Ziva on the ground and placed his hand firmly on the wound.

Gibbs and McGee came running into the trees and bent down next to Tony. Gibbs pulled out his phone and called for an ambulance while McGee tried to keep Ziva awake.
***************************************************************************
"What've you got?" asked Dr Smith as Ziva was wheeled into the ER.

"Twenty-eight year old female, shot from a distance in the chest. She's bleeding a lot and she's unconscious. Heart rate's dropped to eighty from one hundred and four," replied the paramedic.

"Where's the wound?" Blood was covering the whole of Ziva's chest.

"Just below the left breast."

Dr Smith looked into Ziva's pale face and silently screamed. She was his favourite patient.
***************************************************************************
*Five Hours Later*

"Agent Gibbs?" asked Dr Smith.

"Yes, Dr Smith. How's Ziva?" asked Gibbs.

"Miss David is critical. We've managed to remove the bullet, but it did some damage. The bullet nicked one of her major arteries, causing massive blood loss. The bullet also left burns around and inside the wound. To be quite honest, they look like acid burns. I doubt she'll be waking up anytime soon. She's in the ICU. I'll take you to see her but prepare yourself, she's not in a great condition."

Gibbs, McGee, Tony, Abby and Ducky followed Dr Smith to Ziva's room. Abby gasped at the sight of her friend. Ziva was covered in tubes and wires. She had a tube down her throat and an IV in her right hand. The monitors were the only way of telling that Ziva was alive.

Abby ran out of the room, crying, and McGee followed. A few minutes later, Ducky and Gibbs followed. Tony grabbed a chair and sat down next to Ziva.

"I love you Ziva. You have to fight this. You have to wake up. I don't want to live my life without you anymore. When you came to NCIS, it was like a light turned on in my head. You were the one. I knew it and I should have acted on it. I'm sorry that I've never told you how much I love you. But I promise that if you wake up, I'll tell you every day. I'll tell Gibbs and I'll leave if it's the only way for us to be together. I'll happily shout it from the rooftops," whispered Tony.

He picked up Ziva's hand and held it tightly in his hand. He was wishing that Ziva would open her eyes, even for a second, just to tell him that she loved him.
Chapter 5 by ziva54382
Abby had finally agreed to let McGee take her to the hospital to visit Ziva. It had been two days since Ziva had been shot and Abby was the only one who hadn't visited her.

"Gibbs said that she's still unconscious McGee," said Abby.

"She is Abbs but it's alright. Maybe you'll be the one to wake her up," replied McGee.
*****************************************************************************
"Hey Tony," whispered Abby an hour later.

"Has she woken up yet?" asked Tony. He sounded like he had been crying and looked like he hadn't gotten any sleep.

"No."

Tony let Abby hug him before he sat on the edge of Ziva's bed. He lifted Ziva's hand as Abby left the room. As Tony started to cry, he felt a small movement in his hand. He looked up to see Ziva turn her head slightly. Tony leaned forward and planted a kiss on Ziva's cheek. Ziva turned her head again and opened her eyes.

Tony immediately called for Ziva's doctor. A couple of minutes later, Dr Smith came into the room. He removed the tube from Ziva's throat and placed a tube under her nose. He checked Ziva and re-dressed the gunshot wound before leaving.

"Thank god Ziva. I was so scared. I love you Ziva, I love you so much and I don't want to spend another second without you," said Tony.

Ziva smiled at Tony and grabbed his hand. She told Tony that she loved him too before closing her eyes.
*****************************************************************************
"Guys, I have good news. Ziva's awake. She's still critical but her doctor is hopeful that she'll make a quick recovery," said Gibbs.

"YAY!" screamed Abby.

McGee hugged Abby and then went to pick up his ringing phone.

"Boss, dead marine at the Washington Monument," said McGee. "MO matches the four victims from last week. No eyes or lips."

"Okay, I'm going to visit Ziva. I'll get Tony to meet you there," said Gibbs.
*****************************************************************************
"Hey McGee," said Tony.

"Hey," replied McGee as Tony bent down next to him. McGee looked at Tony. He was exhausted. "Same as last week. One victim without eyes or lips. How's Ziva? Gibbs said she's awake but still critical."

"Yeah, she is. But she's talking and the doctor said that she may have trouble doing that. She's healing faster than anyone thought."

"Have you told her yet?"

"Told her what?"

"How you feel."

"Yeah, I did. And guess what? She loves me too!" Tony's face had lit up as soon as Ziva had become the conversation topic.

"That's good Tony. Are you going back to the hospital today?"

"A bit later. I'm going to go home and change first. You think Ziva will want a nice meal tonight? I was thinking of making lasagne or cannelloni."

"I think that she would love anything you bring her Tony, home-cooked or not."

"I'll make lasagne. Gibbs is making me go home after I help you here."
***************************************************************************
"Hey sweetie," said Tony when he walked into Ziva's room.

"Hi," whispered Ziva sleepily.

"Are you hungry?"

"A little, why?"

"I brought some lasagne for us. I made it myself."

"Sounds yummy."

Tony put the food and a bag on the table next to Ziva's bed and then helped Ziva sit up. He put another pillow behind her back before kissing her.

Tony then pulled two plates, two forks and two knives out of the bag and placed them on the table. He put lasagne on the plates and the two agents ate together in silence.

After dinner, Tony packed up their dishes and kissed Ziva again.

"I love you Ziva," said Tony.

"I love you too Tony," replied Ziva.

A knock on the door interrupted their conversation. Ziva looked up and smiled at her doctor.

"How are you feeling Ziva?" asked Dr Smith.

"Alright. Tony is a huge help," replied Ziva.

"I can tell. I'm glad you're happy Ziva. Have you eaten anything yet?"

"Tony made yummy lasagne."

"That's wonderful. Are you in any pain?"

"No. For some reason, whenever Tony is around, I feel like a little girl with her first boyfriend."

Dr Smith smiled at Ziva and then left. He knew that Tony would not let Ziva struggle with pain if he knew about it.

"You really liked the lasagne Ziva?" asked Tony.

"Of course I did. You made it after all. I always love the food you make, which is probably why it's always gone before anything else," replied Ziva.
Chapter 6 by ziva54382
*Two Weeks Later*

"Good morning Gibbs," said Ziva. It was her first day back at work and she was happy to be back. "The doctor said I have to give you this."

"Okay Ziva. I was planning to put you back in the field today anyway," said Gibbs with a small smile. He looked tired.

"Are you okay Gibbs?"

"Yeah, I'm just tired. I've been here all night trying to solve a case. Maybe you could help me?"

"Sure, what am I looking for?"

"Anything that links the suspect and the victim. I know DiNozzo put it in there but I just can't see it."

"Alright. Here you go, where it says link between suspect and victim."

Ziva handed the file back to Gibbs and then turned her computer on. After a few minutes, a message came up on the screen saying she had one new email. Ziva clicked on the message and found that it was from Abby. She had a new jigsaw that she wanted Ziva to help her complete.

"Gibbs, Abby wants me to help her with a jigsaw puzzle. May I?" asked Ziva.

"Of course. You don't have to ask me Ziva. Go have fun with your friend before I do the puzzle instead," answered Gibbs with a mischievous grin.
*****************************************************************************
"Hey Abbs," said Ziva when she walked into Abby's lab.

"Ziva!" called Abby, running to give her best friend a hug.

"Calm down Abby. I am not going anywhere. You said you wanted my help with a jigsaw puzzle. Lets start it."

"Yay! Okay, come on. It's so cute. It's a white kitten hiding in a tissue box. Lets go!" Abby pulled Ziva through her office and into the ballistics lab. The puzzle was lying on the table.

Ten minutes later, Ziva's phone rang. It was Gibbs.

"Hey Ziva, we've got a call out. Another dead marine with no eyes or lips in Anacostia. You want to come?" asked Gibbs.

"Okay, I'm coming now. Bye," said Ziva. She closed her phone and turned to Abby. "Sorry Abbs, I've got to go."
*****************************************************************************
"Can I drive Gibbs?" asked Ziva.

"Of course you can. Here you go," replied Gibbs. He handed her the keys.

"Oh no, boss, please don't let her drive," whined Tony.
*****************************************************************************
Four hours later, Tony and Ziva were heading up to the third floor of the NCIS building when a guy ran past, almost knocking them over. A few seconds later, Ziva's scream made Tony turn around and pull out his gun. Ziva was clinging to the floor and hanging in the elevator shaft. A guy was holding a gun to her head.

"Drop the gun," said Tony. He heard two people come up behind him but didn't turn around.

"Tony, help me," said Ziva. She was now hanging by her left hand.

Gibbs suddenly appeared behind Tony and walked up to the open elevator doors. He grabbed the guy's arm and dragged him away from the elevator. Tony immediately dropped to his knees and grabbed Ziva's hand. She lifted her right hand and allowed Tony to pull her up.

Shaking, Ziva threw herself into Tony's arms and buried her head in his shoulder. She started to calm down when Tony gave her a bear hug and a kiss.

"Thank you Tony," said Ziva quietly.

"That's okay honey," replied Tony.

Tony and Ziva headed to the stairs and walked up to the third floor.
This story archived at http://www.ncisfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=4467