Home by chloeking1987
Summary: Kate and Gibbs are engaged, but what hasn’t he told her. This story is a little bit of fluff especially at the end, but I couldn’t resist.
Categories: Gibbs/Kate, Abby/McGee Characters: None
Genre: Romance
Pairing: Gibbs/Kate, Abby/McGee
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 3220 Read: 3897 Published: 04/12/2005 Updated: 04/12/2005

1. Home by chloeking1987

Home by chloeking1987
Author's Notes:
Kate and Gibbs are engaged, but what hasn’t he told her. This story is a little bit of fluff especially at the end, but I couldn’t resist.

Disclaimer: I do not own any of these characters, though I wish I did.
A/N: this is my first fanfic so no flames, but constructive criticism and comments would be welcome. I make a few assumptions in this piece so please bear with me. Lovers of Tony/Kate paring beware this story is not for you

Gibbs was speeding down the highway with Special Agent Kate Todd in the passenger seat; they had just arrested the culprit of an elaborate forgery scam who was riding with Agents Dinozzo and McGee. Suddenly a ringing started and both agents reached for their phones, but it was Gibbs's phone that had rung and he answered it in his usual gruff way.
"Gibbs"
Kate watched as Gibbs listened to the person on the other end, she noticed his blue eyes change from their usual state to one of panic and alarm though his face showed none of the emotions that were present in his eyes, he hung up and swung the wheel around making a sharp u-turn. They sped into the car park of Saint Mary's Private Hospital and before Kate could ask ‘What are we doing here?' Gibbs was running and was at the doors of the hospital before Kate was even halfway across the car park, she caught up with Gibbs at the reception desk, he was yelling at the poor unfortunate person sitting behind it.
"What do you mean you don't know where she is? You must know something! What do you mean I can't see HER!" he reached towards his sidearm, but a young man ran towards him calling
"Leroy! Dad! Leroy!"
Gibbs saw him and turned to follow him down the corridors of the hospital with Kate following a little way behind. They turned left and right then left again, finally they came to a small room labelled ICU4 and through the glass panel she saw a blue-eyed brown haired female in the bed with tubes and monitors hooked up to her. Kate was surprised to see Gibbs's face wrought with pain and panic. A doctor walked out and guided the trio into a small conference room and at the sight of the familiar décor and smell Gibbs seemed to get his composure back though his eyes were still emotional.
"What happened?" Gibbs's question was not directed at anyone and seemed more of a wild attempt to get his emotions under control as Gibbs hated not being in control, he clenched his fists in frustration and Kate thought he was going to punch something or someone, however, before Gibbs could do this the young man spoke his voice was shaky and soft, almost inaudible.
"We stopped at a red light and when it changed I drove off slowly, but a car came flying around the corner and I didn't have time to swerve he hit Olivia's side, I thought she was dead" at this he burst into tears once he had calmed down he continued
"They bought her here and I don't know much else except the guy who slammed into us is dead"
"The babies?" Gibbs asked tentatively
"I don't know" The man said again bursting into tears.
The doctor took this chance to explain
"The babies are doing well, you have a boy and a girl, very healthy though a little small, but their lungs are strong and they have healthy appetites."
"And my wife?" The man asked in a small voice
Kate had noticed Gibbs was ashen faced and had sunk onto one of the chairs and she could see his brain attempting to register all this information though Kate still had no idea what was going on. The doctor had started speaking again.
"She is going to be fine, there is no internal injuries but she did lose a lot of blood from a nasty head injury and her ankle is broken but it won't need surgery, so I am sure she will make a full recovery, she needs a lot of rest and relaxation. We will need to keep her here at least a week because of the dangers associated with the head injury." The doctor left the room and the silence that he had left was unmistakeably one of relief mixed with anxiety.
Finally Kate spoke
"Uh Gibbs I have no idea what's going on would you care to explain?"
"Sorry Katie"
He had called her Katie; he never did that, except when they were alone in his house, in his bedroom or in the basement with his boat.
"Sorry" he repeated.
Taking the hint from his calling her Katie she went and sat next to him and looked into his eyes and he collected his thoughts and explained.
"I'm sorry Katie, I have been keeping certain things from you. Olivia in there" his head jerked towards ICU4 "Well she's my daughter, and Alexander" his head this time faced the man standing outside ICU4 looking in the window "is my son-in-law"
With comprehension dawning on her face Kate stammered
"Then the babies are…"
"My grandchildren, I fathered Olivia when I was just 16 years old. Her mother died giving birth to her, so my parents and I raised her. My mother looked after her when I went to school and college lectures and when I entered the marines but I was the one who was there when she took her first steps and sat up and when she first rode a bike and drove a car. My previous three marriages broke down because none of my wives liked sharing attention with Olivia. Do you hate me?" His voice was unusually soft and smooth
"No of course not!" Kate then promptly burst into tears. In contrary to her better judgement she flung her arms around Gibbs. They broke apart when a knock was heard on the door. In came a frantic looking Ducky he turned to Gibbs and asked quite quickly
"Are they all right? How are the babies? What happened? Is everything ok? What's going on?"
"Dad" Alexander gasped and he seemed to let go all strength and practically collapsed in Ducky's arms
Kate was lost again
"It's all right Dad, She'll be ok, the babies are healthy, a boy and a girl" Alexander said his voice flooding with relief.
Ducky's face relaxed and again asked
"What happened?" though a lot calmer then before.
Kate and Gibbs left the room leaving Alexander to explain about the accident.
"My daughters full name is Olivia Jane Mallard, Alexander is Ducky's son"
"So you and Ducky are"
"Related" Gibbs finished.
They stood for a time watching Olivia sleep, when suddenly she stirred, Kate ran to fetch the nurse whilst Gibbs went inside the room.
"Hey sweetie" Gibbs said, the words sounded foreign in his mouth, he had only used them a few times in his life
"Dad" came the sleepy reply from Olivia, and then she suddenly was wide-awake
"Dad, oh, my babies! Alexander! Oh, my head!"
"Shhh baby they are all healthy and well, you have a lovely boy and girl. Alexander is really worried about you but he's fine otherwise"
Olivia relaxed and drifted back to sleep. Gibbs stroked her hand and then Alexander and Ducky came in not long before Kate walked in with a very harassed looking nurse. It was obvious Kate had used her NCIS authority to get her to come and look at Olivia and she could see that Gibbs, Ducky and Alexander were extremely grateful.
Kate and Gibbs left and walked the long distance from ICU to the Maternity ward where they were able to see the babies. Gibbs suddenly swore and tore off down the hallway and Kate reacting quickly followed, to her surprise he ran to his car and she only just closed her door when they were speeding down the highway and through suburbs to a nice looking building with ‘Thompson and Daughter Day care' on the front. Gibbs stopped the car and got out but was only halfway up the path when a sandy haired boy with sparkling blue eyes ran out of the building calling
"Papa, papa, papa" Gibbs picked him up and the boy looked as though he were a koala on an insecure branch as he clung to Gibbs. They raced back to the hospital though not quite as fast before. Gibbs did more explaining as he went
"This is Jethro, he is Olivia and Alexander's eldest son." Then he spoke to Jethro
"This is Grandma Katie, can you say Grandma Katie Jethro?"
Kate was dumbfounded. I mean she and Gibbs were engaged but the term Grandma had caught her off guard, she didn't mind. The age difference between Gibbs and herself never presented a problem, for them anyway, but it had just surprised her that Gibbs would be so open about their engagement they had only just announced it to the family's and they had told their boss as well.
"Nana Katie" came the little voice from the backseat
"Nana Katie, Nana Katie, Nana Katie" chanted the little one.
Kate smiled and then told Gibbs something that almost made him run off the road
"Jethro, I want a baby"
Gibbs got the car under control and coolly said
"Ok"
"Will they still let us work together?"
"Yes I made sure of it" Gibbs said sternly
"How are we going to tell Tony and Abby and McGee?" Kate mused
"McGee and Abby already know and Tony will never know because no-one will tell him he'll just have to do some detective work if he wants to know. Ducky told Abby and McGee was hiding in her bathroom so he heard everything" Gibbs smirked at the thought of McGee running into Abby's bathroom to hide from Ducky like a teenager hiding from his girlfriends father
"Why was McGee hiding from Ducky?" Kate asked
"Well McGee didn't want me knowing about him and Abby cause of my rule #12"
"Romance between agents never works" Kate Recited
Kate laughed and Gibbs smirked. They pulled into the car park of St Mary's and Kate carried Jethro into the hospital. She helped Gibbs explained about the accident and his new siblings. Gibbs was smiling watching Kate with his grandson and it was clear she was a natural born mother.

3 years later…

Gibbs listened to his wife of 2 years tread gently down the hallway of their home, she walked into their bedroom clothed in a light scarlet nightie which showed her baby bump beautifully. Her pregnancy had progressed smoothly so far but she still had 3 months to go, Gibbs was an anxious father-to-be just as he had been when Maria had been pregnant with Olivia. Kate fell asleep quickly but Gibbs stayed awake pondering. He stared down at his wife and felt his heart jolt, she was so beautiful and to his delight had come to love Olivia, Alexander, Jethro and the twins Abigail and Marcus just as much as he and Ducky loved them.

"Happy Birthday to you, Happy Birthday to you…" sang the group who was gathered around the table which was decorated with two beautiful cakes, one topped with blue icing and the other was a pale pink, there were 3 candles on each. Pictures were taken and the cakes were cut before the two toddlers had a chance to demolish them with eager hands. It was distributed amongst the guests including Timothy, Abby, Ducky, Gibbs, Kate, Olivia, Alexander, Jethro, the three year old twins Abigail and Marcus and Tony, who thought that these were ‘friends' of Gibbs and Ducky's and he, Abby and Kate had been invited out of politeness. He was still determined to find out who was the father of Kate's baby so he could punch them in the face. Tony had taken on a kind of brother role towards Kate ever since she had come to NCIS and he wanted to know that she was happy. Kate slipped away from the party and Tony followed as discreetly as he could. She had gone into the house and to the guest bedroom and had taken something out of a bag, Tony craned his neck as far as he dare to see what it was and when he saw he nearly jumped through the roof, it was not what he was expecting, they were rosary beads, Catholic rosary beads. Over the 5 years Kate had been at NCIS she had never mentioned her faith, then again he thought that he had never given her much of a chance. Kate knelt and Tony watched, even though he thought of her as a sister he could never doubt or deny how beautiful she was, Tony listened intently.

"In the name of the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit
Amen"

She made the sign of the cross with the hand holding the mahogany rosary beads

"Father who art in heaven
Hallowed be thy name
Thy kingdoms come
Thy will be done…"

Tony listened as Kate finished the Lords Prayer and was about to leave when she spoke again.

"Lord keep my baby safe from harm and bless my husband Leroy Jethro, his daughter Olivia and her husband Alexander, his Father Dr Mallard, and their children Jethro, Marcus and Abigail. I pray also for the pending marriage of Abby and Timothy. I pray that you will help guide all those who stray back to your path. In the name of the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit Amen."

She made the sign of the cross again and got up and saw Tony standing there in the doorway, mouth opened. Kate went to speak but a searing pain went screaming across her abdomen, she clutched at her stomach and Tony streaked out to the garden, not really knowing what to do. He just yelled. "Kate's in Trouble" Gibbs tore down the corridor and found a scared looking Kate kneeling down doubled over with pain.
"Call an Ambulance Tony! NOW DINOZZO!!!" Gibbs shouted at frozen Tony.
The ambulance arrived just in time to hear the wail of the child's first cry, a beautiful baby boy, delivered by its Godfather-to-be Dr Mallard. Ducky exclaimed with an air of humour,
"I am used to getting people at the end of their lives, this is a most welcome change."
Kate laid back and let the Paramedics do their job, all she could think of was her newborn son, to be named Timothy, and her husband Leroy Jethro Gibbs. When Abby and McGee walked into the hospital they saw Kate asleep in bed with Gibbs holding little Timothy staring into the baby's face then his wife's and back again. Even Abby the hard-core Goth shed a few tears and hoped that she and McGee would someday be like that. Abby suddenly realised that Timothy had put his arms around her and she lent back into them and enjoyed the scene before them. Gibbs suddenly looked up and saw them and smiled, on seeing that Gibbs had witnessed their embrace McGee stood up and took his arms and put them beside him, still acting like a teenager around his girlfriends parents Gibbs thought. They walked in and Gibbs commented
"I hope you will be able to kiss her at the wedding with Ducky and I there, McGee"
"Yes sir" came the stiff reply from the Agent
Kate stirred and her eyes opened and the first person they fell on was Tony, Kate suddenly remembered
"Oh my Gosh Tony knows! He heard my prayers!"
"Came yourself Katie, I have already spoken to him" Gibbs assured her.
Alexander walked in with Olivia and the children.
"Nana, Papa" Jethro clambered up onto the bed and snuggled next to Kate.
"Hello, Jethro" Gibbs replied.
"Hey Dad, have you decided on a name for my baby brother yet?" Olivia asked
"Yes, he will be called Timothy Alexander Gibbs"
Tony walked in followed by Ducky.
"Kate, I didn't realise you were Catholic" Tony commented
"Bet you didn't realise I was Catholic either Tony" Gibbs said
"What?"
"Tony, Ducky and I are Catholic" Gibbs repeated
"How come nobody tells me these things?" Tony asked a little hurt
"You never give anybody a chance Tony" Kate said
Tony left the room and he headed towards the car park thinking, because of his incessant taking about girls and teasing Kate and McGee he had missed out on the important things in his friends lives. He felt completely left out of their lives now, well that would change no more would he be left out of things just because he talked too much.

The mood was festive inside the registrar's office, Abby a glowing bride dressed in a black gown and McGee had gone with a white tux. After the ceremony they had all moved to Ducky's house, as he had given Abby away because her own parents had died when she was young. As Kate and Gibbs approached the house Kate commented
"It fits Ducky to a T"
The house was Victorian style home with stately gardens, the house looked like it belonged in countryside of England not the suburbs of America. The party was in full swing by the time Abby and McGee arrived. They were greeted with all the love in the world.

The 4-year-old Bean tapped out the final piece of the program on the computer and called his mother to have a look.
"Mummy, look, I made a program that will tell you what animal a poison has come from if you enter the symptoms, this is better than the trial and error method you've had to use before. It also works for synthetic poisons as well. When a new poison is discovered just enter it in and it will become part of the program"
"Wow, that's cool Bean. I can't wait to try it out."
"Maybe Daddy could have a look to make sure it's alright?"
"Sure I'll go get him"
Abby walked out to the backyard were her husband was playing with her daughter Emily.
"Timothy come and have a look a this program Bean has been making. He wants to know if there are any flaws"
"Bean made a program?" Came the incredulous voice of Emily.
"Yep" Abby said
"Wow, that's cool I want to do that!" Emily tore inside and her parents followed her.
"Looks like we'll have another computer wiz in the house" Abby said to her husband.
The house was not what you would call normal, the décor suited Abby's Goth style and the amount of Technology crammed in it could probably rival the FBI's collection. There was one room that had no black in it and no technology, the music-room, this held a piano, violin, cello, double bass, clarinets, flute and a trumpet. These instruments were the property of the orchestra that had formed over the years. It consisted of Abby and Timothy's children Bean and Emily, Olivia and Alexander's children Jethro, Abigail, Marcus and Kate, Kate and Gibbs's children Timothy and Georgia and Tony and Hayley's child Tony Jr.

After all the searching that the group had done, after all they had been through, they all found that special place with each other called HOME.

This story archived at http://www.ncisfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=4767