Breaking the Surface by acidburn425
Summary: NCIS gets new member, who seems to hide something from the very begining.Is he a person worth of a trust?
Categories: Other Het Pairings Characters: None
Genre: Drama
Pairing: Kate/OMC
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 7 Completed: No Word count: 7747 Read: 11178 Published: 03/12/2007 Updated: 02/18/2006
Story Notes:
im not english native,so sorry for mistakes i make. this is my first ncis fan-fic.

1. Breaking the Surface by acidburn425

2. Chapter 2 by acidburn425

3. Chapter 3 - Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon by acidburn425

4. Chapter 4 - False Pretences by acidburn425

5. Chapter 5 - Forgiven Not Forgotten by acidburn425

6. WHAT LIES BENEATH by acidburn425

8. TO SERVE AND PROTECT by acidburn425

Breaking the Surface by acidburn425
Author's Notes:
NCIS gets new member, who seems to hide something from the very begining.Is he a person worth of a trust?

CHAPTER ONE

CHANGEOVER






- Who is that ? - Abby was following with her eyes , young handsome man entering the lobby, accompained by head director of NCIS.

- Where's Gibbs? -director Morrow asked Abby, who just couldn't stop staring onto newcomer.

- Here! , I just talked to Ducky and I guess we found him - said Gibbs.
- Oh, I'm sorry, Jethro Gibbs - said Gibbs , shaking young man's hand.

- Alexandros Phillipousis…we spoke on the phone recently, as you interefered with my case with your agents.And now, my only trace , who could lead me, to those bastards lies in Dr.Mallard's morgue.

- We didn't know that, N.Y.P.D's special unit was using Kasaam as a bate, besides he killed one of the navy's , and that's under our jurisdiction - Gibbs was trying to justify himself, but without any effort.

- Since when, N.Y.P.D recruits from kindergarden? -Tony started to think too' loudly.

- Commisioner Phillipousis will be cooperating with NCIS, over this case, till we find the real links - director Morrow announced to Gibbs, causing him being taken aback.
- in addition, he will substitute me till next year, which means , he's now an equal to Gibbs , ranked Boss, understood Agent Dinozzo ? , Alex will coordinate together with Gibbs all the most important issues. That's all as for an introduction.

- What can I say, welcome at NCIS , Probie, oh….. sorry Boss - said Tony with irony in his voice.

………………..


- He is 25, ranked commisioner after year of duty in special force unit in dept, who the hell is he? - Tony was persistant to know, looking at Alex's resume in his computer.
- Plus, he wears well tailed Ermenegildo Zegna suit, the one you will never afford Tony- said Abby with laughter in her voice.- You gotta admit it, Tony.You are afraid of loosing your adonis postion , to our new crew member.
- Whoa Abbs, he's been here for couple minutes, and you are calling him crew member already - Tony seemed to be really nervous while hearing this.

- Actually, he is bold, intelligent, well mannered, not sophisticated like you, and deadly handsome… even u know that. I like him. - Abby was damn sure, bout what she was saying.
- Me too' actually - said McGee.-Guy seems to be o.k…
- None asked for your opinion Probie ! -angrily said Tony.
- Just wonder, did our baby boss impress our bastion of conservatism … If he succeed, personally I will buy a beer for him - Tony just couldn't get rid of spitefullity.

…………….

Back in the lobby


- I would like to talk to dr.Mallard and see Kassam's body , if it's possible.
- O.K, I will put him on the plasma - said kindly Gibbs.

Gibbs also seemed to like the newcomer, despite they started, on the wrong foot. He read Xandros' resume , and was impressed . Such a young probie, law graduate, psychology bachelor and such a succesfull guy already. Infiltarted himself one of the terrorist net, caught serial killer. Impressed.Actually Gibbs was happy that, someone like this will take over some of his duties, while others where thinking, whether some taking over the power is on the horizon.

- That's' strange, I cannot connect with Ducky (…) , Tim… try to fing the reason, is this possible that sth, happened with network? - Gibbs was calling McGee.

- Its' rather unlikely, said Alex, unless someone blocked it from the inside. Spare camera always shoud transmit the picture.Something happened, or we have possible hostage situation in the morgue.

- That never happened here, boss - said Tony with cocky smile on his face.

- Actually it did - said Gibbs with stone cold voice. Ducky was behaving strange, while our last transmition. He said, that he needs to hurry…

- Whats the rush in the morgue, huh - pointed Alex looking at dead screen on plasma.

- Confirmed, boss- said McGee, looking at Gibbs and Alexandros. Armed man broke into morgue, and helds hostages. Ducky, Gerald and Agent Todd.

- Agent Tood? - Xandros' eyes opened wide, while hearing Kate's name.

- Yes, agent Caitlin Todd is last of our team member, u haven't met her yet - said Abby.

- I see - said Xandros, with apprehension in his voice. None noticed that, but he went a bit pale. Now, he knew….

Suddenly plasma turned on and they saw a face and heard the voice, saying, that one of the agents must come here unarmed, and bring sample from Kassam's body and blood.
They looked onto eachother.

- I'm going - said Xandros without hesitation, unbucking his berreta.

- I'm afraid, you cannot - said Gibbs. First off all, you are here for couple minutes, someone has to take care of strategy, u don't know the locations, and its' damn dangerous to go there alone.

- You would do everything for your team , isn't it Jethro ? so do I . Whether u like it, or not I'm going, and at this point, there's nothing u can do to stop me…it's not only your people now, mine too'.Till the end of my contract with NCIS. So further disscusion is pointless, I guess - Alex stated toughly, wearing the jacket.

Tony went kinda impress by Xandros attitude, but couldn't get rid of comment, that Zegna jacket doesn't made anyone bulletproof yet.

……

In the morgue


- Well, Well ,well … Now Gibbs sends probie's to do his own, dirty works? - asked man standing in shade. Did u get , what I wanted.

Alex fearlessly walked into the small ray of light to show him, the sample, he brought.

- You lost ! the real sample is on its way to the lab, we figured it all - said calmly. Now, tell me, where are the hostages ?

- Save, as long as you play by my rules . Lets play .There is a clip on your left side, take it ! - man demanded.

Alex took over the clip, looking straight into man's eyes.

- Good, now in the box there's agent's Todd zig. Reload it !

- What's now ? Why are you willing to take the risk of shooting u ?

- Why not??? - man answered, same time pulling the trigger, as well as Xandros.

Both shoot simultaneously. 3 deaf shots ripped the densed atmosphere in there. Alexandros felt tearing pain in his arm, and fell on the ground, realizing he was wounded.
Suddenly SWAT came in flashbanging the area. That was the last thing Alex was remebering.

He woke up minutes later, after meds were taking care of his wound.Bullet went through it, and it hurted like hell.
Nearby a body was lying , whole covered in blood.

- How did u manage to shoot the bastard ? - asked Gibbs.

Alex came up and walked to the body, turning it over…

- I didn't ! - said Alex, looking into face of…. Kassam.
- He had a flock-vest, u shoot him twice. he switched the body, when SWAT flashbanged and u fell on the floor.That's how he escaped - said Gibbs. I just wonder, what would happen if u shot him in the head?

- That's the risk, he had to take I guess - pointed Alexandros rubbing his arm. How is Gerald and his arm?

- He's gonna be fine, though rehab might take months.

- I'm sorry …

- How are you ? Everything is fine ? - asked Gibbs, as soon as Kate appeared in the lobby. We need a talk- he pointed at Alex. That's ….

- Xandros Phillipousis - Alex turned over and went taken aback, while seeing Kate, who also seemed to be shocked… Nice to meet you, agent Tood - finished Xandros , shaking Kate's hand.

Apparently she wanted to say sth , but her voice stucked, and all she managed to say, was ; Me, too' Mr Phillipousis.
For a while , Kate looked, like she had seen a ghost …And maybe, she did….




End Notes:
im not english native,so sorry for mistakes i make. this is my first ncis fan-fic.
Chapter 2 by acidburn425
Author's Notes:
Xandros enters NCIS, what are his real intentions? He also seems to be close with Kate... Why??? Why Tony picked on him?

CHAPTER TWO
NEVER TRUST THE GREEKS ?


(Hours later after morgue shootout)


Gibbs was sittig by his desk, staring into the monitor.
He had his image in front of his eyes, and couldn't forget it.
- Who the hell is this guy ? - Gibbs was trying to figure it out.


One thing was just certain. That evening was full of surprizes for everyone.


(Same time at Abby's Lab , Kate for getting over the trauma she had that day)

- I know, that's been a hard day for you, Kate. Hope you are o.k - Abby was very concerned, and wanted to drive Kate's thoughts onto another track.- What do ya think bout our boss number two ? I must admit , I find him very attractive and cute. He makes vibes around himself, makes women go crazy , and he's totally different than Gibbs or McGee.Not mentioning Tony.

- Kate… you aren't listening to me. Where are you?

- Oh, sorry Abbs, I'm a bit distracted today, you know. What were you asking?

- I just wanted to know, how do you find our new boss number 2?

- What? What are you talking about?

- Alex is replacing Morrow, till he gets back next year ,what makes him our second boss .Funny huh? Best is that he is just 25 , what makes him younger than Tim even, you or me.Tony is pretty displeased with it….

- That, I can imagine - mumbled Kate.

- Hi Tony - wassup?

- Never been better, since this probie joined us. Now he's gonna be bossy , showing off with latest Prada outfits .

- Alex is nothing like u Tony - Kate reacted at once.

- Whoa, Kate - u defend a guy you have seen for a couple minutes… instead your teammate, pal for years.
I perfectly understand , that Xandros is the guy, every woman wants to be fucked by up against the wall, but that's a …

- Oh, shut up Dinozzo ! - said Kate harshly while leaving.
She didn't even say bye to Abbs, what made Tony even more annoyed.

- What's with this guy? Cute face don't make him number one in here…

- U admitted yourself, that he is cute, Tony. Stop being jealous. He is part of the team now, and try to deal with it - Abby was convincing Tony over changing his attitude towards Xandros.

- Yeah, u'd better Dinozzo - Gibbs hit him in forehead while leaving.- C u 2morrow Abbs !

- Bye Boss - they said at the same time.



Meanwhile Kate was tossing and turning, trying to get some sleep. But she couldn't, thinking of all events that happened today, and bout newcoming boss. How come ? -she was unable to forget his image, sitting in the hall with wounded arm….She remebered, his reaction when Gibbs introducted her…

( Next day at 9 a.m in the office )


- Hello Tim
- Hi Boss- answered McGee
- Don't call me like that, Im Alex, Xandros for friends .Gibbs is your boss, that's not gonna change .I know that everyone thinks, im here to take over his position, but that's not true …I'm here to help you with some cases and then I ‘m setting sail. :) ….As for the case, any news on our friend from the lobby.
- Nope…

- Keep looking, if it helps he had middle east accent- palestine maybe ?That should narrow your searching

- Never take anything from the Greeks- Probie. U remember Troy and the horse- said Tony spitefully..Even the intel can misled you.

Alex smiled and didn't pay attention on this obvious putdown.

- He's is cypriot- hissed Kate silently, but Tony heard it perfectly.

- Wow, wow, wow , its seems that, u went familiar with this ‘ greek god of NCIS ‘ - said Tony and couldn't hide his jealousity … Maybe, u didn't tell us sth? Hmmm

Kate went kinda confused, while Tony was giving her suspicion look..

- I read in his resume ! that's it Tony. End of subject…
- Hi guys ! said Abby feeling tensed atmosphere between Kate and Tony. I found something interesting . U wanna take a look?

- Sure Abbs, as soon as I get back . I have to do something first.See ya…

Tony run out of the lobby , like he was on fire.

….

(Later at the Morrow's office)

- How is Alex ?
- He is doing just fine I would say, wounded and back on track. Everything in 24 hour.Real rush.
- I'm serious Gibbs.
- I'm serious too' .

- This kid might come in handy , I guess something big is going on .
- What are you talking about ? - Gibbs went worreid actually while hearing that news.

- Its classified intel , and as for now cannot tell you anything else upon this matter.Watch out for him, that's all I can say.

( Meanwhile at Police Station archives )

- Anthony - How are you man ???
- Long time Scott, still on archives ? I need to ask you for a favour…
- Yes…
- I need all possible data on Alexandros Phillipousis. He is at NYPD , yesterday came to NCIS.I don't like the guy and don't trust him Find everything you can . I will be waiting.

- I will call u , as soon as I find something. Bye man.Pity u left the police, man .

- Happens Scott…


( At the NCIS )

Alex was sitting by his desk, searching in the database, trying to match the pic made in the morgue the other day…
On the other side, Kate couldn't take her eyes of him.
She was shocked yesterday, while seeing him, shocked while hearing what he did, to save them in the morgue, shocked that he's now at NCIS.
So close…

She craved, to stand up and talk to him. It was high time - she thought.

Instead Alex stood up and leaned over her.
- Caitlin , we need a talk. I't taking you on a lunch within an hour ? That's on order actually- he said smiling…

(At the café)

- Don't look like that, u are making me nervous.Scary schemes are popping into my head - she said with laughter.
- Caitlin, I want u to profile the terrorist, …the one u couldn't stab.

That wasn't what Kate wanted or expected to hear…

She flashbacked her failure attempt to stab him, and look of his eyes.

- Did Ducky tell u that? … Its true …- she exhaled noisily

- Why ? Alex asked with concern in his voice, looking deeply in her hazel eyes.

Kate couldn't take it, and finally whispered …

- HIS eyes…They… they looked kind

- Did they look kind when he blew Gerald's shoulder ??? Alex hesitated

- U asked me, why I couldn't stab him and I told you

- Contrary to conventional wisdom Kate, eyes can lie…U meet him again, don't forget that…

- I won't - kate felt embarrased and lowered her eyes.I won't - she stated toughly , making Xandros sure this time.

- Then profile him….

- He isn't islamic fanatic, never mentioned Jihad, whatever drives him, its not mortyrdom,and chasing after 70 virgins in paradise..

- Revenge?

- Maybe, could be money! He is also easy with attracting women…

Kate regreted she said that.

- I just got the feeling that he lives large, he is intelligent, bold, willing to take big risks.

Xandros reminded himself, asking him why, and quick response Why not?

- He could have kill me with cold blood- said to Kate, but risked getting shot . As for me he needs to face death to feel something… anything at all.

- So are you - whispered kate , watching him walking away…So are you Xandros…

( meanwhile at Tony app )


- I told them not to trust the Greeks , huh…
Said Tony to himself watching Xandros real resume….
- You son of a bitch, I will get u Phillipousis, whoever you are …


TO BE CONTINUED….











Chapter 3 - Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon by acidburn425
Author's Notes:
Tony investigates upon Alex and finds out some shocking facts. Meanwhile Kate also seems to hise something

Chapter 3

CROUCHING TIGER, HIDDEN DRAGON


( At Tony's )

Tony couldn't sleep all night, trying to deal , with what he has just discovered.
He didn't know what he should do.
Call Gibbs and tell him all , or just wait, how situation evolves… Like tiger, crouching and ready to strike on its prey, when least expects it.



( DAYS LATER AT NCIS )

- No sign of our " friend " ! We searched every possible database and still nothing- Gibbs was getting really pissed off with the every hour passing by.

- I have my suspicions . He was too' well trained, not to be on Mossad's list . It means that, he is well covered…
Question is by whom? Can you put me through to Bahrain, later on ? - asked Alex , leaning over McGee's desk, who was apparently busy with some sudoku …
- Nice work Tim- he said laughing.
- Oh, sorry boss - Tim went kinda confused , caught in the act ;)

In the other corner of the lobby, Kate was forcing herself to talk to Alex, followed by Tony's suspicious look… He was just an observer, as for now…
Finally she managed to stand up, and grabbed Alex' shoulder …

- You will talk to me eventually, Xandros - she whispered, hoping none heard that.

- Not now, Caitlin… please . It's gonna be better that way, besides it was long time ago…

- But I need this conversation… now, more than ever - Kate looked deeply in his eyes, and small tear appeared in her eye.

Tough NCIS agent, wasn't that tough …

That moment, Alex wanted to comfort her, tell her that everything is o.k , but he couldn't … Just couldn't …

Fortunatelly they got interupted by Ducky, inviting them on lunch.

- I will pass, sorry guys - Alex justified himself skipping the invitation.

Truth was that, he was trying to avoid Caitlin, especially after this conversation, which reminded him all past events….Events he wanted to erase from his mind for good.
Kate wasn't making it any easier…

He was robotically gazing at monitor, unable to think bout someone else than, agent Caitlin Todd.

( meanwhile at Spago's )

- Finally Kate, we have a chance to talk - Tony spotted Kate on lunch. - How is your salad ?
- Fine, what do you want Dinozzo? - Kate wasn't in a chit chat mood.
- Nuttin, not guilty, no hidden intentions , I just wanted to know, how is my favourite agent doing these days…- Tony explained himself.
- I'm sorry Tony, I didn't wanted to be bitchy. I just don't feel right.
- It means, that you are still thinking bout the guy , who held you hostage in the morgue? We will find the guy.
- I'm not thinking bout terrorist Tony.
- Then, maybe you are thinking bout our new boss, hmmm? Tony just couldn't stop himself, from mentioning that. … I just cannot get rid of impression, you two know eachother ? or maybe I'm wrong???

- Yes, you are wrong !- Kate fired away.
- Hi, Ducky - said Tony.
- Hope, I'm not interupting ?
- Of course not- said Kate, happy that Ducky ended this conversation.


( BACK AT NCIS )



- Where's Gibbs ?
- Don't know Caitlin - answered Alex. How was lunch?
- Good. I'm worried bout Gibbs, and wanted to talk to him. Getting this guy, became some sort of obsession for him…
- Don't worry, he is like a dog , chasing after new bone… finally he will get back to his old one…
- Hope, he doesn't choke on it at first - groaned Kate ironically.

Yeah …

- What is it Abby ?
- Gibbs called , we have an emergency situation and he needs backup . He spotted a suspect …
- I'm on my way Abby - said Alex wearing jacket .- You are staying in the office Caitlin.Order, understood ?

Kate was unable to say anything.
She just stood there…mute.

- Office job Kate ? hmmm - said Tony laughing.

On the other hand , Tony was wondering why Alex is pushing Kate away of any actions involving risk… That was at least 4 th time, Kate stayed in the office…

Simpliest explanation and shortest route,was that he cares bout Kate, more devious … has something to hide. And that option suited better to Tony's concept.

…..

- We arrested the guy, who killed petty officer Travis. You wouldn't guess Tony, who did it ???- said McGee with triumph on his face.
- I wouldn't guess Probie, who ? - Tony pretended like he was interested in the subject, while he didn't give a damn.
- Yacht owner. Travis owned him the money.Those 70 grand. They both smuggled guns from the base.
- Unfucking believeable- mumbled Tony with sarcasm. Saint Travis, wasn't that saint actually. Like someone here…

- I'm going home boss. I have a date with destiny today.
- Bye Tony .

( at Police archives )


- Did you crack the data Scott?
- Im trying, but his files are pretty well encrypted, its gonna take some time Tony.
- So the data in official database upon Xandros is faked??? - Tony smiled
- Some trivia, some is just encrypted, made confidential , don't know why? Maybe its gov. agenda … have no idea.
- Bullshit, guy is just as fake as his resume…

- O, by the way , I just managed to decode message you gave me couple days ago … Its from Bahrain to Gibbs.
- What's in it ? tell me !

- Possible mole in the NCIS - end of transmittion. File corrupted…

- Gotcha ! - said Tony with large smile on his face…

































Chapter 4 - False Pretences by acidburn425
Author's Notes:
MURDER AT NCIS . EVERY TRACE LEADS TO ONE PERSON... IS XANDROS GUILTY ??? HIS LINK TO KATE IS BEING revealed :)

Chapter 4
FALSE PRETENCES


( Crime Scene, backyard of NCIS )

- Hello Jethro…
- Hi Ducky, what do we have here…?
- White female, about 30 , strangled . Time of death… I would say ,round midnight. Rest I will tell after the autopsy… No documents, d.l , i.d card. Jane Doe as for now.We will have to look around employees data.But it appears she was one of us.
- Tony, did you secure any possible evidence?
- No, Boss - answered Dinozzo hiding small card in his back pocket…
- What about fingerprints?
- None, clean work. But she must have seen the killer, as he didn't attack from behind. Look at marks at her neck…
- You, think that someone from NCIS ??? - asked Tony looking at Gibbs. Possible that, someone she knew…
-Look, she didn't drag the gun even.

……


At security room, Tony was watching all security cameras records, made last night.
He put one tape on vcr and saw women, in the their lobby talking to Alex.
Time ; 11:48 PM .
He frantically pulled out the card , he had taken from crime scene, and read handwritten note…

A.Phillipousis, 1st floor, 11:00 PM, after hours . V.I.P

Tony reminded himself, that Alex in fact was working afterhours and mentioned something about having a meeting lately.
Immediately he rushed to the morgue…

( At the morgue )


- Her name was Jessica Parker. She was working on 7 th floor- Archives Dept. I talked to her last night after hours. I asked her to show me, some old cases data. I figured that maybe, I will find the link to our terrorist there. Such a hunch - Alex was explaining to Gibbs.

Tony entered and realized, that Gibbs knows already, what he had discovered upon Alex.

- yes, I'm the probably the last person , seeing Jessica alive- Alex didn't even try to hide this.

Tony figured, its kinda weird, as automatically that was making Alex , primary suspect.His calmness, was impressing Tony.
Or he was in fact innnocent, or was fucking great liar .

- And yes, Tony , I realize what do you mean by this look ! - Alex smiled and went to the lobby.


…………

- Alexandros Phillipousis …- he picked up the phone.
- It's Paul Hume, Miss Parker ordered me , to find those missing data upon major Austin for you… I have some of them. Currently I'm not at the office, but we can meet in Lava Lounge , nearby GreenPark Lane …
- Of course , 1 pm suits you?
- yes, I think I will manage.
- Thank you and I meet you there, G'bye- Alex hung up the phone and started to leave.

- You don't go anywhere Alex. I have really enough, and I need to talk to you- Kate stopped him .
- O.K then - Alex realized that , actually he has no choice . GreenPark Lane at 1 30 PM. I have a meeting and then we will talk .

He smiled and left.

- Hello Kate , Bye Kate- Tony murmured.
- Where are you going Dinozzo ? I thought that, you had some paperwork.
- I gotta really go… Fuck the paperwork- hissed Tony on his way out.

- I bet that, he is snooping on Alex- Kate whispered to McGee.
- It means that, u don't know what happened , last night? - asked McGee
-N.O , tell me Tim- Kate went worried, while hearing that.
- One of archives agents got strangled last night. And unfortunatelly, Alex was with her that night. … I mean, he was the last person, talking to her , before she got killed…
- You are trying to tell me that, Gibbs suspects Alex ??? - Kate went shocked.

She nearly shouted on McGee and rushed to the door.

She was driving like crazy …

( At GreenPark Lane, LL )

Alex was drinking mango juice and reading the morning news.He was patiently waiting for Paul Hume, and files he had found. He came earlier as he needed to think some things through…
- Tell me, what the hell is going on ? - suddenly Kate grabbed his shoulder. She was literally pissed off and didn't even try to hide it.
- I didn't kill Jessica Parker , Caitlin, though everyone think,that I could have… And now, if you excuse me…
Alex started to feel confused.
- Mr Phillipousis ? - asked young man .
-Yes?
- I'm Paul Hume… I managed to postpone the meeting and come earlier.Here, these are the files you asked for… I believe that, you might be right, over this case. I just need to check one more thing and I will contact you later . ..
- Fine , G'Bye…

Kate noticed that, Alex wanted to end this conversation as soon as possible and didn't feel good, with her presence there.
She grabbed the files…

- Major Austin case, huh, you are still thinking bout it and bout her ? - Kate looked into his eyes.
- Yes - Alex sighed.


( Late at night at GreenPark Lane )

- Call NCIS, its their employee …. Time of Death 1 PM.


( Alex apartement … )

Alex was tossing and turning… Suddenly door bell rang.

- Caitlin ?
- I know , you wanna protect me, but it's not brother thing anymore, Xandros……..


TO BE CONTINUED…..



End Notes:
IF U LIKE IT FEEDBACK TO ME
Chapter 5 - Forgiven Not Forgotten by acidburn425
Author's Notes:
MORE SHOCKING DETAILS.IS XANDROS REALLY GUILTY ? WHAT DRIVES KATE TO PUT HER WHOLE CAREER AT RISK ON DEFENDING HIM

Chapter 5

FORGIVEN NOT FORGOTTEN


Flashback

- Secret Service - shouted Kate , aiming in the crowd but assailant was already gone, melted with people down there.
- Call the ambulance now … ricoshet hit him and he's loosing a lot of blood - Kate was desperate to help young man lying on the ground , whole covered with blood.


- Were you day dreaming ? What is it Caitlin ? - asked Xandros , while pouring her a cup of juice.
- No, I just thought… about …
- What ???
- Nothing- answered Kate with tear rolling in her eye.


She remebered it all, and as despereately she wanted to forget, she just couldn't. She was feeling guilty, and needed an absolution.
She yearned to talk to him, about it… but she just couldn't say a word….

- Sth. bothers you Caitlin, and I can feel it. Tell me, what's goin on…-Alex was really worried.
- Ok, why are you digging in Major Austin's case … Is it for Kate? It's been almost 3 years. You still can't forget, Xandros?
- Yes, I can't. I wanna clear her name. I still believe, that she is innocent, besides ….
- Besides, what ? - Kate didn't wanted to hear that actually.

That would brake her heart …


- I really don't wanna talk about it. I just know, that she didn't do it. I don't want you, to have problems Caitlin, that's why I haven't told Gibbs, that we know eachother. I guess , it's better this way. And yes, that's why I joined NCIS , to investigate over this case. ……I just didn't plan, that I will meet you. … I… I really missed you and couldn't understand, why you decided to leave.
- I ….
- Hush, I know- Alex wrapped his arms around Kate and hugged her.


Meanwhile at NCIS - late at night


- He's name was Paul Hume. He got shot , around 1 pm. 3 bullets in the chest, close range. Beretta ?!.
- Thanx Ducky. What bothers me, is that again Alexandros was the last person, who was with him. He said, that he's meeting Hume at 1 . Too' perfect match, as for me.
- You suspect Alex, Jethro it's insane !!! - Ducky was bowled over. I must admit, that some circumstances are totally against Alex, but there must be logical explanation…
- What are you going to do? You gonna arrest him.?
- No Ducky.Frankly speaking, I just don't know…. Gotta think it all through.

While Gibbs was trying to find the solution, what to do next, Kate was still wondering, why Alex so desperately was digging in late Major Austin case.
She knew actually, but this deliberation was killing her… since Alex…… (..)


……………….


- 1 mil bucks for your thoughts Caitlin… - Alex leaned over Kate and she was absolutely ready to get lost in the moment. If only, he wasn't …..

- It's really late, I think I should go, before I - Kate hesitated, looking into his eyes, and grabbed a coat.
- Bye Xandros - she almost run to the door.
- Bye ….. Kate - he whispered.

Whole night Kate couldn't sleep. She went for a walk even.
Foremost she hated, when someone was calling her Caitlin… but she knew perfectly, that Alex will never call her Kate … That name was reserved, to the only woman he loved in his life.
And it wasn't her, though he dreamt bout it , since they become a bit closer.
His sudden appearance at NCIS , opened a long forgotten door. Door, Kate prefered to stay shut…

( Meanwhile at Gibb's )

- Hi boss
- Dinozzo, you know what time is it?
- it's important , really boss.
- wait Tony, I have another call …..

- Gibbs…. (…) I will be there as soon as possible.
- Office, now , Dinozzo. Whatever u wanna tell me , can wait.

( At NCIS )

- Thanx for coming Ducky.
- They got shot between 1-3 am. Shot like Hume. I can even say, same gun…..
- As much as I hate to say that , Alex was the last person leaving the office about 8… and he was in archives. Maybe, they found him, snooping and covering the tracks late at night, and he shot them.- Tony suggested.

- wait, did Alex know bout Hume.? - Abby joined the conversation.
- No, he came back from lunch at 2 pm with Kate, and then worked with me . We got to the point, that our guy is 1969 year- Tim reported. Then I went home, and Alex went to the archives…
- Dinozzo, call Kate - maybe she knows something - Gibbs ordered
- She switched on the cell , boss ….




(Next morning at lobby)

Kate decided to come earlier and focus on something. Unexpectadly Tony welcomed her, with coup written all over his face…

- Gibbs wants to talk to you in the conference room , high priority !
- What about ? Sth happened ?
- Can't say , you will see- Tony triumphed. But we gotta wait for the main guest …

(At CR)

- Where is your gun , Alex? - Gibbs asked.
- In the locker. I hate carrying gun with me….
- There is not ….It's not gonna be easy . But I gotta do this and arrest you Alex …We found Hume dead, u were the last person, seeing him alive, …plus we found your fingerprints on his briefcase…we have two dead agents, killed at night at the archives….. your berreta is missing Everything is against you unfortunatelly.
- I understand Gibbs , you wanna cuff me? - Alex was deadly calm.
- Just wait for me, in investigation room….


- Gibbs…. - shouted Kate as soon as Alex left the room. She knew, that Alex would never agree, on what she was planning to do..
- Gibbs, He couldn't kill Hume, we ate lunch together around 1 .
- What about these 2 guys ? - Tony went iritated, that Kate stood against them.
- He couldn't have killed them, as we…. - Kate went uncertain. - We spent this night together Gibbs …Alex was with me … We …. You can lecture me, about sleeping with people you work with later on…. But Xandros didn't kill them.
- Why are you defending this guy ?- Tony started to shout .
- Cause, I will never again stand against him - hissed Kate



WHAT LIES BENEATH by acidburn425
Author's Notes:
MORE VICTIMS,MORE SUSPITIONS,ONE SUSPECT ... WHO XANDROS REALLY IS, AND IS KATE IN DANGER ?
Chapter 6


- WHAT LIES BENEATH-

- I've called director Morrow to question you – said Gibbs to Xandros while sitting with him in investigation room. This situation is pretty inconvenient for me too, despite what you think.
- As you wish…though, every circumstance is definitely against me, and I‘m aware , that no matter what I say, I'm presumed guilty.
- Not quite – Gibbs wanted to say something, but got interrupted by Morrow's coming.

He looked at Xandros and unexpectedly asked Gibbs to leave.

- We need a talk, kid – said with father's care in his voice.
- The last thing I wanted is someone getting killed because of me Tom. It's way beyond our control. And it's not only because I'm snooping on Austin's case.
- I know, I didn't expect it either. This case seems to be further more complicated… Anyways, I heard that Kate gave you an alibi. Gibbs mentioned something.
- Great… this is another thing I exactly needed. If I deny , I will ruin her career, if I lie …
- You have to lie, and admit she was with you… If they found out, who you really are …It's too' soon to reveal it.

As soon as they finished, Xandros left the room.
Kate with anxiety was sitting on chair, in front of the door.
He passed her without single gaze even, and seemed to be pissed off like hell.
Meanwhile Morrow and Gibbs went to conference room to discuss something.

( at lobby )

- Xandros, wait – we need a talk – Kate rushed after him.
He slowly turned over, giving her shut up or die look. She was ready to sacrifice her whole career for him, and he didn't want it.
- Why did you lie? You don't have to protect me, especially not like that, Caitlin …
- I just …
- Don't say anything… - Xandros hated himself, for putting her in such a mess.

They were close to argue, when tall gorgeous blonde interrupted them.

- Alex, did you finish ? – she asked, looking at Kate with pity .
- Actually I did, come on Amber – he took her hand and they left.

Kate stood there, unable to say anything.
Finally she grabbed her gear and rushed after them.
- Maybe, you finished with me, but I haven't finished with you – she said to herself, while driving after Amber's car. Tonight, we will talk…

She parked across the street, and watched them from the distance.
It looked, like a typical date… Candlelight supper, romantic Italian restaurant on boulevard…Kate felt tactless snooping on Alex like that.
Swiftly scene changed and started to look like a lover's argument… harsh argument.

- Enough of that - Kate decided to come back home…

As much as she wanted, she couldn't stop thinking bout Amber and Xandros.
From the first day, she saw Alex, she was hitting on him. And Kate felt kind of…. Jealous.
She was cruising without sense for about 2 hours.

Finally she decided to go home.
When she was passing the bridge, she got stopped by the police.

- No passage miss. There has been an accident and there is a roadblock.
- What happened , I'm an NCIS agent- Kate flashed her badge.

- We are pulling the car out of the water…
Suddenly Kate saw a car, and could have sworn it was Amber's…

Meanwhile at NCIS – late at night…

- I can't believe it … Morrow ordered to leave him alone….His is the killer… - Tony was shouting.
- Actually, he's innocent until proven guilty – McGee wanted to clear the dense atmosphere.
- Shut up Probie - Tony was furious. That's high time, I talked to Gibbs .

- Boss, I've heard the news… I made a little surveillance and his files, and they are encrypted.
- Why didn't you tell me? – Gibbs yelled. I just talked to Bahrain, and they are sure, we have a mole…Plus this terrorist in the morgue, 4 killed people, files missing.
- I'm sorry – Ducky came up. Amber , this girl from reception. Her car was pulled from the river 15 minutes ago – he said with his calm English tone.
- We are going…- Gibbs ordered.


At Xandros apartment

Kate was driving like crazy to Xandros' apartment.
- He couldn't have done it… I don't believe it – blood was busting in her veins.
She was feeling deluded, furious…
2 hours ago she had seen them together, and then saw her car and her body … looked like accident, but something was telling her, that it wasn't .
She reminded herself, argue scene…

- You bastard – Kate smashed Xandros' straight into eyebrow.
She holstered her zig and aimed at him.

- Caitlin, what is going on?
- I saw you, I saw you with her, at Luigi's and then her accident…Why did you kill her?… Did she frame Katherine in Major Austin's death?
- Amber, Amber is dead?

Kate was still aiming in his chest…

At crime scene

- She got killed, before car fell into the water. Someone wanted this, to look like an accident.
- Ducky, keep on working- Gibbs approached one of the policemen.
- NCIS, can we talk? – He asked.
- One of your agents, already questioned me – policeman said.
- Who did, we just arrived !
- Tall brunette, pretty sexy…
- KATE- Tony and Gibbs said it at once.
- Boss, she had seen Alex walking out with Amber. She joined the facts… as far as I know her, she went to his place.


……

Back at Alex's


- That's whole story Caitlin …
They were sitting on a couch close to each other.
- I'm sorry Xandros, especially for that.
She put some ice over his eyebrow, and leaned over …desperately wanting to kiss him.
For so long…
- You should go I'm sorry …
- Yeah, I suppose I should – Kate stepped back, walking to the door.
- Caitlin, please, don't do anything stupid. Leave it to me, alright? Promise me …
- Yes. I'm going home, I have enough for today- she said, walking out the door.

Alex stood on his doorstep watching Kate driving away.

Suddenly, out of the blue Tony approached him.

- Where is Kate you son of a bitch ? – Tony yelled and smashed Xandros hardly. If you hurt her , I will rip your heart out – Tony was acting wild.
Fight evolved and they both threw over the window and balcony.
Tony opened his eyes, and saw Alex lying next to him .

- What have you done? – Gibbs approached Tony, watching his hands whole covered in Alex's blood.

To be continued
TO SERVE AND PROTECT by acidburn425
Author's Notes:
HEART BREAKING FINALE , revealing the Xandros real identity... at least some details ;)
CHAPTER 8

TO SERVE AND PROTECT


Flashback

- How is he? – Older man asked.
- He's dying …

(At the hospital)

- How is he Caitlin? – Ducky put his hand on Kate's arm. You have been sitting here for ages, you should get some sleep.
- He's dying Ducky – Kate put her arms around him, crying.

Ducky didn't know what to say. From the first moment he saw them together, he noticed that strange, strong link between them. He never asked Kate about it, feeling that, she doesn't want to talk about it.
Now, she seemed like she finally wanted to tell about it.

- I can offer you at least a cup of coffee and shoulder to cry on – Ducky suggested.


(At NCIS)

Gibbs was talking to Tom Morrow on the phone, and he looked like a spanked kiddo.
At the opposite corner of the lobby, Tony was dealing with the worst day of his life. Not mentioning tonguing Amanda, who turned to be a guy…
Tony simply couldn't deal with all events… Plus he was feeling, that Gibbs is hiding something. Like he wasn't worth of a trust , despite almost 3 years working together.

Finally Tony approached him.

- You don't trust me, boss ? I know that, I went hot-headed, he turned out innocent… but you owe me an explanation. I could have killed him .

Gibbs didn't say a word and showed Xandros' decrypted data to Tony.
- Holy shit ….- Tony managed to say only this.


(At the cafeteria)

- Kate, it's gonna be o.k – Ducky was trying to cheer Kate up, at least a little bit.
- I have seen him like that, twice Ducky …
- I figured you know each other well , but ….
- yeah – Kate sighed. I was a law student , and Judge Ryan was my tutor .
- Hold on , you wanna tell , Judge Ryan ? The…Ryan ….- Ducky couldn't hide his emotions.
- Judge John Ryan – Alex' father – Kate continued. Alex's real name is Alexandros Ryan Konstantinopoulos.
- O my Goodness !!!
- When he got killed in this accident, I quit studies and got assigned to protect Elizabeth Ryan. I just started working in Secret Service thanks to her.
- You mean…Senator Elizabeth Konstantinopoulos Ryan ?
- Yes…a woman who was supposed to be first woman elected U.S President in history. She got shot, 3 days before the voting, while opening her Charity Foundation. Alexandros was shot by ricochet, and spent almost 3 months in hospital getting over… It was all my fault Ducky.
- You resigned from the service, right after.
- I did, despite Xandros' statement, that I did my best to protect his mother. He never blamed me, and that is killing me… I can't deal with it. I don't want him to die… Not now Ducky.

Kate seemed to be getting over the real trauma now, and Ducky didn't know how to help her.
The story, she has just told him … really shaked his nerves.
He would rather expect, dejected love than something like this …


and there wasn't all of the story

To be continued
End Notes:
to be continued and i will keep on surprise you. if you like it feedback to me
This story archived at http://www.ncisfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=5129