Fathers' Day Surprise by dalilNCISfreak
Summary: Future fic.... Kate and Tony are happily married when she gets an unexpected surprise
Categories: DiNozzo/Kate Characters: None
Genre: Established relationship, First Time, Romance
Pairing: DiNozzo/Kate
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 22 Completed: No Word count: 9417 Read: 88350 Published: 01/07/2006 Updated: 01/27/2007
Story Notes:
my first fic! please review!

1. Chapter 01 by dalilNCISfreak

2. Chapter 02 by dalilNCISfreak

3. Chapter 03 by dalilNCISfreak

4. Chapter 04 by dalilNCISfreak

5. Chapter 05 by dalilNCISfreak

6. Chapter 06 by dalilNCISfreak

7. Chapter 07 by dalilNCISfreak

8. Chapter 08 by dalilNCISfreak

9. Chapter 09 by dalilNCISfreak

10. Chapter 10 by dalilNCISfreak

11. Chapter 11 by dalilNCISfreak

12. Chapter 12 by dalilNCISfreak

13. Chapter 13 by dalilNCISfreak

14. Chapter 14 by dalilNCISfreak

15. Chapter 15 by dalilNCISfreak

16. Chapter 16 by dalilNCISfreak

17. Chapter 17 by dalilNCISfreak

18. Chapter 18 by dalilNCISfreak

19. Chapter 19 by dalilNCISfreak

20. Chapter 20 by dalilNCISfreak

21. Chapter 21 by dalilNCISfreak

22. Chapter 22 by dalilNCISfreak

Chapter 01 by dalilNCISfreak
Author's Notes:
Future fic....
Kate and Tony are happily married when she gets an unexpected surprise
Caitlin Todd sat on the edge of the bed which she shared with her devilishly handsome partner of two years but more importantly husband of five months. She was fingering an object rather nervously; and not many things made her nervous. Her job put her on the line everyday, and that certainly didn't scare her. But this did. It was amazing how such a small object could change her life forever, could make her run, far away from the life that she had with this man. And all that she had right now could be dependant on this man, the guy of her dreams Anthony DiNozzo.

Kate turned around to see Tony stirring; he reached out his hand to her now vacant spot and felt around slowly. When he realised that she wasn't there he sat up quickly.

"Kate?"

Kate laughed. "Relax Tony… I'm still here; I'm not going to leave you. But we need to talk." Boy did she have a Fathers' Day surprise for him.
End Notes:
my first fic! please review!
Chapter 02 by dalilNCISfreak
Kate looked so serious as she said those last words to Tony that it had scared him. What did she have to say that was so important and was obviously making her nervous? In all the time that he had known Kate he had never seen her that nervous.

"What is it Kate? Talk to me… what happened?"

"Relax Tony… I've just got some pretty big news, and I'm not sure if you will think it's good or bad. Either way Tony… things are going to change-" Kate trailed off nervously and looked away.

"Change? Kate?" Tony looked and sounded confused. What could have possibly changed overnight that was making Kate so scared? He reached out to her face and tilted her head up so that he was looking straight into her eyes. "Come on Katie… What's happened?"

Sure they had talked about having kids but they hadn't planned on having kids so early. This could change everything that they had right now. It had taken Gibbs a long time to accept that they were together and now that they finally were something else popped up.
Chapter 03 by dalilNCISfreak
They had waited till they were married before they made love to one another. It was her test for him, to ensure that their relationship wasn't based on sex but on trust and their love for the other but it had been just as hard for her sometimes. But they had made it right to their wedding night where such love had never been experienced by either before. She still recalled their first time, and it had definitely been worth the wait. The whole year that they dated had been wonderful and neither regretted a moment. She remembered the first time he had asked her on a date. After his tirades of the number of women he slept with each week she would have thought he would be a professional at asking women out but when Tony had finally decided to stop the charade that they were both playing, she found that he wasn't just quite as confidant as she had imagined.

//FLASHBACK//
"Hey Kate," Tony said walking up to her desk at the end of the day while Gibbs was down in autopsy talking to Ducky. "Would you... erm... would you-?"

"Tony! Spit it out already! I still have paperwork to do from that case we closed yesterday. Gibbs is going to have my ass if it's not on his table by tomorrow morning." Kate said half annoyed. She wasn't in the mood for another of his jokes. When she received no reply she looked up to find Tony still at her desk looking at her nervously. "Okay... Tony! What is it?" she asked a bit more gently this time.

"Oh... I was just wondering if you... if you would come out for dinner... with me... tonight after work?" Tony finally said. His internal battle raged. ‘Real smooth DiNozzo, finally work up the nerve to ask a girl out and you stutter worse than Probie on his first day.' ‘This isn't just any girl... this is Kate we're talking about here!' ‘Oh great! This really isn't helping... come on Kate... just say yes!!!!'

Kate was silent. ‘Wow... Tony finally asking me out...? Nah... It can't be. Since when did Tony start liking me?!' She thought to herself. ‘Wow... he looks so nervous!' "Like on a date Tony?"

"Yeah..." Tony responded quickly. Man he wanted her to say yes before Gibbs came back and had his ass. ‘Hurry up already Kate!! Just say yes!!' When he still didn't get an answer Tony's mind went into overdrive. ‘Great DiNozzo... what the hell were you thinking in the first place? Kate's never –'

"Yes... okay... tonight after work right?" Kate finally gave him an answer. She voiced changed into a lighter tone. "Pick me up here at 7?" She smiled. Man he loved that smile.

"Yep!" Tony grinned. ‘Yes! She said yes!' Tony's did a little dance in his head as he made his way back to his desk and started his paperwork.
//END FLASHBACK//

BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRINGGGGGG!!!!! The sound of Tony's mobile snapped Kate out of her thoughts.

"Special Agent DiNozzo… yes boss… no, she's here with me… yes I'll pass it on… see you in twenty." Tony snapped his phone shut.

"We got to go in now?"

"Yep."

"Well then... better not keep Gibbs waiting."

"Kate!! You're not getting out of telling me that easily!"

"Tony."

"Come on Kate. Pleaseeee???" Tony pleaded... he hated to see his wife so uneasy... he turned on that famous DiNozzo smile. When Tony saw Kate turn away he knew that it had to be really serious. "At least promise me that you'll tell me tonight?"

Kate looked back up at him. "Okay... I will. Tonight, after we get back from work" She smiled. "Now just let me go get ready before we leave kay?"

"Okay... we leave in 5 minutes!"

Kate went to their wardrobe, got her clothes and then went into their bathroom to change and get her self ready. After a final glance in the mirror she walked into the living room; but not without a lingering glance in the waste basket.
Chapter 04 by dalilNCISfreak
"Hey Boss. What do we have here?" Tony asked when they got to the bullpen.

"Gibbs." Kate greeted.

"You're late." Gibbs said picking up his Sig and heading towards the elevator. "One dead marine at Norfolk. Ducky will meet us there. Come on, come on lets go!"

"Right behind you boss!" Tony answered quickly as they both got their weapons and trailed Gibbs down to the parking lot. While they were in the elevator Tony sneaked a look at Kate who was still lost in thought. ‘Wonder what that's all about. Must be pretty big news.' Tony thought to himself. Then bad situations flooded his mind. ‘Is she alright? Let's see... she went to the doctors about a month ago... if she is sick it can't be that bad.' Tony came back into reality as the elevator doors opened. Kate on the other hand was still lost in thought. ‘Gosh... this is huge... how is he going to react?!! I'm not ready for this! We're not ready for this!! How am I going to-?'

"Kate!" Tony called to her as he stepped off the elevator.

"Huh!" Kate responded looking around quickly.

"We're on the ground floor Kate... come on! Now we gotta catch up to Gibbs." As he half pulled her out of the elevator before the doors shut. They both ran to the truck where Gibbs was already waiting for them. They got in and before long they were at the crime scene. Little did Kate know what she was going to be going through during this investigation.
Chapter 05 by dalilNCISfreak
Once they got to the crime scene Gibbs got down to business. "Tony start sketching, McGee you're doing photos, Kate... I need to talk to you." When she heard this Kate looked over at Tony who just gave her a shrug to say that he didn't know why Gibbs wanted to talk to her. Kate approached Gibbs slowly.

"Gibbs?"

"You alright Kate? I noticed you were deep in thought all the way here not to mention in the elevator earlier on."

"Yeah Gibbs. I'm fine... just thinking about something that's all." ‘Phew... so I haven't done anything wrong... thanks Gibbs... just give me a coronary for nothing.'

"Okay then... go help McGee with the photos."

"On it Gibbs." Kate replied as she walked over to McGee. Just as she reached McGee Ducky's truck arrived.

"Mr. Palmer! How many times are you going to get us lost! I'm sorry Jethro... Mr Palmer over here got us lost again." Kate and Tony shared a smile when they heard Ducky. It seemed like Palmer was always getting them lost.

"Don't worry about it Duck."

"What do we have here?"

"Young female petty officer. She was found by surveillance doing their rounds."

"Ahh... Jethro do you remember that other case we had quite a long time ago... I think about seven years was it now?"

"Duck... time of death?"

"I'd say about 10 to 12 hours ago. I'll know the cause of death when we get her onto my table." Ducky answered. "Now Mr Palmer. Let's get her back home."

"Tony finish up the sketching; Kate and McGee finish the photos then the three of you can meet me back at headquarters. I'm going with Ducky." Within seconds of Gibbs saying this he was answered by two "Yes Boss" and a "Yep" from Kate.

Gibbs could tell that Kate was hiding something from him and it was easy enough to figure out that she hadn't told Tony yet. Whatever it was; he was going to get to the bottom of it soon.
Chapter 06 by dalilNCISfreak
Kate walked out of the ladies room quickly, hoping that no one had noticed her constant disappearances. Unfortunately for her, her mother hadn't been kidding when she said that morning sickness wasn't only confined to the mornings. ‘Ironic' she thought. She returned to her desk and quickly started on getting their deceased marines personnel file. ‘Thank God' It seemed like no one had noticed her coming and going. Then again; it seemed to Tony and Kate that no one noticed the changes in their relationship after they started dating until one day Abby got them both down to her lab alone.

//FLASHBACK//
It had been two months since they had started dating and both Tony and Kate were enjoying their little secret immensely. They both put in extra effort to keep their relationship out of the office and keep up with the same banter that they had been participating in for the last two years. It hadn't been easy; but they were doing well.

Kate and Tony were sitting at their desks and doing more research on the team's latest case when Gibbs' phone rang. They both looked over at the other person before Kate walked over to Gibbs' desk and picked up the phone.

"Special Agent Gibbs' desk this is Special Agent Todd. He can't take the call right now. Can I take a message?"

"Wow Kate... official." Abby's familiar voice came through the device.

Kate quickly mouthed ‘Abby' to Tony so he knew who was on the line. "Hey Abs! Gibbs is down at autopsy with McGee and Ducky. You need anything?"

"Yeah. I got test results. You and Tony come down here. I'll call Boss man's cell."

"Okay. See ya Abs." Kate hung up the phone and headed to the elevator with Tony who had heard part of her side of the conversation and guessed that Abby wanted them down in the lab.

"She got test results?" Tony asked as the elevator doors closed.

"Yep." Kate answered simply.

"Wanna you go for dinner tonight after work Kate?" Tony asked her when the doors were closed and the elevator started going down.

"Sure. Pick me up from my house around seven? I have to do something before that."

Tony moved closer to her and kissed her gently. "Anything you want." When he let her go he gave her a smile; one that could make her go weak in the knees. She quickly returned one as the doors opened again and they both headed into the lab to see Abby.
//FLASH BACK TO BE CONTINUED......//
Chapter 07 by dalilNCISfreak
//CONTINUED FLASHBACK//
At the sound of the doors to her lab opening Abby turned around quickly and approached Kate and Tony.

"Where's Gibbs? I thought you were going to call him."

"I will."

"Okay... what you got for us Abs?"

"Well... I'll go through that when Gibbs and McGee get here."

"Okay... so why d'you call us down first?" Kate asked. There was something Abby wanted with the two of them and she didn't have a good feeling about that. She looked over to Tony who looked nervous. She could tell that he was thinking of the exact same thing.

"Ohh... don't you pretend that you don't know Caitlyn Todd. You too DiNozzo." Abby said staring at Kate intensely.

"What?" Kate said playing the innocent card though she knew Abby well enough to know that she wouldn't hint at something this big with Tony in the same room without being absolutely sure about it.

"Aw Kate, you're insulting me now. Did you seriously think that I wouldn't find out that you and Tony were going out?"

Tony looked over and Kate who had bowed her head in defeat. He moved closer to her and wrapped an arm around her hips. "Fine Abby. We're going out... but just two questions. How did you know and when did you find out?" Kate looked up at Abby slowly.

"Took your time... I always knew that you two would end up together. I found out last week. I dropped by your apartment last Friday night... only to find the two of you making out in front of your door." Abby replied grinning.

"So you never suspected anything before that?"

"No..." Abby said narrowing her eyes at them. "How long exactly has this" she gestured to the two of them "been going on?"

"Two months."

"Two months?!" Abby stared at them in shock. How could she have not noticed? Tony let go of Kate reluctantly. There still was that possibility of Gibbs coincidentally coming into the lab at this point.

"Yes... two months... it's not that hard to believe!" Tony exclaimed. "Now you better call Gibbs or he is going to have our asses."
//END FLASHBACK//
Chapter 08 by dalilNCISfreak
"Ducky. Got anything for me?" Gibbs said as he walked into autopsy.

"Bad news Jethro." Ducky said as he looked up to greet his friend. "My tests show that our petty officer had increased levels of oestrogen in her system. She was definitely pregnant."

"Pregnant?"

"I'm quite sure. If she was she could've only been around two months. She definitely knew by then."

"Anything about her killer?"

"Not yet Jethro. Sent some blood samples up to Abby for analysis."

"Thanks Duck." Gibbs said as he left the room. He reached for his cell and called Tony.

"DiNozzo here."

"You, Kate and McGee; meet me in Abby's lab now."

"Yes boss." Tony said quickly as he hung up the phone.

"McGee! Kate! Boss wants us down at the lab pronto."

McGee got his weapon and went down to the lab first. Tony and Kate chose to take the stairs. Of course by now everyone in the team had already figured that the newlyweds just wanted some time alone for those precious few minutes each time.

"Can you tell me now?" Tony's curiosity got the better of him as they walked down the stairs to Abby's lab holding the others hand.

"Tony... I will tell you tonight. That was the deal." Kate continued trying to put off telling him about their Fathers' Day surprise. Plus she figured that if she could just put off telling him for another day she would be able to tell him on Fathers' Day itself. She still wasn't sure how he was going to react but her heart told her that what they had, no one else would ever experience and he wasn't going to be leaving her anytime soon.

"Aww... come on Katie! Please?" Tony was driving himself crazy thinking of the possibilities behind Kate's strange behaviour.

"Tony... come on. They're probably already waiting for us in the lab. You remember what happened the last time we took too long to get down there don't you?" Kate smiled as she remembered.

Of course Tony remembered what had happened. It wasn't really the kind of thing that anyone would forget overnight. It happened about two months after they had gotten married.

//FLASHBACK//
Gibbs had just called the bullpen to tell all three Special Agents to meet him in Abby's lab to get some results. Just for a change Tony asked Kate to walk down the stairs with him instead of taking the elevator down to meet Gibbs with McGee. Tony had of course taken the opportunity to give Kate another one of his kisses that could make Kate melt at her knees any day of the week.

"Tony! We're at work! Gibbs is going to find out for sure! I swear that he knows everything that goes on in this building."

"Right Kate... like you'd rather be running down to Gibbs in the lab. If I had known that you liked him that much I never would have married you." Tony said smiling.

"Eww Tony! Gibbs?"

"You know I'm kidding Katie." Tony laughed and started giving her a stream of soft kisses. At this moment Kate gave up resisting. After all... what were the chances of Gibbs-

"DINOZZO! KATE!" Gibbs hollered up the stairway; "DiNozzo! If you still want your job you had better stop kissing your wife and get down here!"

"Damnit!" Tony swore under his breath still holding onto Kate. "Probie must have told him."

Kate just laughed. "What did I tell you? We better get down there." She took Tony's hand and quickly led him down to the lab where they were greeted by Abby doubled over laughing and both McGee and Gibbs smirking at them.
//END FLASHBACK//

It certainly was something you didn't just forget.
Chapter 09 by dalilNCISfreak
As Kate and Tony entered the lab they saw that McGee and Abby were both waiting for them but Gibbs was nowhere to be found.

"Urm Abs; where's Gibbs?"

"Why... he's coming. Right about..." Abby paused for a second then continued. "Now." Just as she said her last word Gibbs walked though the sliding doors and into the lab. Trust Abby to know things like that. Kate herself thought that there might be something going on with Abby and Gibbs but every time she brought it up Abby just laughed at the idea.

"Whatchya got for me Abs?" Gibbs said as he walked into the lab holding a Caff-Pow. The younger Goth ran over to him with her arms outstretched. He stretched out his arm and handed over her Caff-Pow. "Now, results?"

"Thank you; my silver-haired fox. Now back on topic. I'm running the blood samples that Ducky sent up to me; there are two different blood types in that. I should have the results soon. And as for what Ducky told you; it's true. She was pregnant."

"She was pregnant?" Kate cut in. This case was going to be hell for her.

"Yep. Ducky says around two months." Gibbs confirmed it. "Call me when you get something Abs."

"Don't I always?"

"Yes Abby; always." Gibbs said before giving her a kiss on the cheek and leaving with the rest of his team following closely.

When they got back to the bullpen Gibbs started asking for information. "McGee!"

"Yes Boss. Petty Officer Michelle Roberts, been in the Navy four months, just recently got back from a month long tour."

"She won the Navy Achievement medal winner boss;" Tony cut in "was a good Marine. Can't find anything on record that suggests otherwise.

"Kate; profile-" Gibbs paused when he saw that Kate's desk was empty; "DiNozzo; where is your wife?"

"Erm..." Tony said looking around, "She didn't say anything boss, probably in the ladies. No wait; there she is." He continued as he saw Kate coming back to her desk. He didn't want to mention it to Gibbs but he had noticed his wife pale when Gibbs had mentioned that the petty officer had been pregnant. ‘Nah... It couldn't be. Although...' Tony snapped out of his thoughts when Kate started telling Gibbs what she thought. He made a mental note to keep a closer eye on her.
Chapter 10 by dalilNCISfreak
Seven o'clock came faster for Tony and Kate then they had expected. They had been busy digging up more information about the petty officer and waiting on Abby's lab results that they hadn't kept track of time.

"DiNozzos; McGee. Go home. Don't be late tomorrow." Gibbs said without looking up when it turned seven.

"Thanks boss; see you tomorrow." Tony said as he and Kate gathered their belongings and headed out of the bullpen.

Gibbs permitted himself a quiet smile as he watched the two of them walk out together. He was proud of the two agents. When he had first seen Kate and Tony interact in Air Force One he had known that they were meant for the other. Hence; rule number 12. He couldn't have two of his agents dating and working on the same team at the same time. It was too risky and he knew that from past experience. The safety of the other would automatically become their first priority and that became a danger for the team. And Gibbs wasn't going to let that happen. But when Gibbs had found out that they had been dating he couldn't see the logic behind splitting them up or firing one of them. They were good agents and he wasn't going to lose one of them because they chose to date the other. Instead he just told them to keep it out of the office and told Tony later on that if he were to break Kate's heart number one, he wouldn't have a job; and number two Gibbs would kill him – if Kate hadn't already done so. That sorted everything out. Hence; Gibbs was also forced to get rid of rule number twelve. Rule number twelve was no more.
Chapter 11 by dalilNCISfreak
//FLASHBACK//
‘The only way to know about women is to know them.' She played those words in her mind over again. So he had learnt something in the past three months. Kate thought to herself as she gave Tony a smile while he walked back to his desk before she was rewarded with a smile of her own.

It had been three months since she had said yes; yes to a date with Tony; yes to what seemed to be a never ending love story, pages turning, but never flipping back; yes to a life together; yes to the one and only man that could make her truly happy. Every new day with Tony was another day full of pleasant surprises, learning more about the man that she loved and he never ceased to amaze her. Just the day before she found a fresh bunch of flowers in the drivers' seat of her car that he had put in the car after he had left her place the night before. They had agreed to take things slowly, both respecting the other's decisions and honouring the other's requests. Three months later, neither had admitted that they loved the other, Kate still hid the fear that he'd go back to his ways; Tony wanted to keep going slow, treasuring each moment he had her by his side.

"Kate!" she snapped back out of her thoughts when she heard Tony call her name.

"Yes?" she said with a smile.

"I'm going down to Abby's to check on results. You wanna come?" Tony said; once again giving her that famous DiNozzo grin.

Instead of answering him she just got up and went to the elevator. Looking back for him she found that Tony was only five steps behind her. They entered the elevator together and once the doors closed they reached for the other person's hand.

"You want to go out for dinner tonight? When the boss lets us off?" Tony asked turning to face Kate.

Kate smiled. Dinner with Tony was never just Dinner. "Sure... where'd you want to go?"

"It's a surprise... pick you up from your place at seven?"

"Definitely. What's the surprise for?"

"Well. If I told you, it wouldn't be a surprise would it?" Tony replied before giving her a peck on the cheek and walking into Abby's lab.
//FLASHBACK TO BE CONTINUED//
Chapter 12 by dalilNCISfreak
//CONTINUED FLASHBACK//
Looking into the mirror on her vanity Kate sighed. They had been out pursuing leads throughout the day, all resulting in dead ends. They had gotten back to the office just after 5.30pm which by the time she had gotten home, left her with just under an hour to get ready for her date with Tony. He had continued to flirt with her all day, though only when Gibbs wasn't in the room of course; dropping hints about their date that night. Throughout the day he had made it clear for her to dress up, there was something big happening tonight.

With six-thirty quickly approaching Kate finally chose her dress for the night. It was a red dress which just went past her knees. It was simple yet elegant at the same time. The front of the dress was low, but not too low; while the back went down to an inch or two above her waist with a thin ribbon tied in the middle of her back. She quickly picked out her favourite heels for the night and sat back down at her vanity. Deciding to go with the natural look, she applied a minimal amount of make up before putting on her shoes and taking her handbag. She headed to the couch to pass time by watching some television while she waited for Tony to show up.

At five minutes before seven Kate heard a knock on the door and went to answer it. When she opened the door she found Tony waiting outside dressed up in a suit and holding a bunch of her favourite flowers.

As Tony stepped into her apartment he gave her a kiss on the cheek and handed her the flowers. "Beautiful flowers for the most beautiful woman on the planet." He said smiling; a part of him loved making Kate blush.

Kate blushed and thanked him for the flowers before going to the kitchen to find a vase for the flowers. Tony walked around the lounge room while waiting for Kate, stopping occasionally to look at some photos which were displayed around the room. One of the photos stood out, it was a picture of a younger Kate with her parents and her brother. He hoped that her parents would like him; he did after all intend on making this relationship work, they were both in this for the long run.

"Ok. The flowers are beautiful Tony. Ready to go?" Kate said as she walked back into the living room and noticed Tony looking at the photos.

"Ready when you are."

"Let's go then." Tony then led them out of her apartment and into his car, doing the gentlemanly thing of opening her car door for her.
//FLASHBACK TO BE CONTINUED//
Chapter 13 by dalilNCISfreak
//CONTINUED FLASHBACK//
Half an hour later they arrived at a fancy restaurant right in the middle of the city. Kate gasped when she realised where they were. "Tony! This place is one of the most exquisite restaurants in the city!"

"What? I can't take my gorgeous girlfriend out for dinner someplace grand?" Tony asked grinning as he walked over to her side of the car and helped her out. ‘Girlfriend; and hopefully one day you'll be more than that...' Tony thought to himself privately.

They walked up to the restaurant arm in arm in a comfortable silence, leaving the valet to park Tony's car. When they got into the restaurant Tony spoke up.

"Aren't you the least bit curious about the surprise? I was expecting an interrogation by now Ms Todd." He said teasingly.

"Well... I was thinking about it, but I thought that'd I'd wait. I do trust you Tony." Kate said sweetly. Tony was left with nothing to say. ‘She does trust me... after all that wondering. She actually does.'
//FLASHBACK TO BE CONTINUED//
Chapter 14 by dalilNCISfreak
//CONTINUED FLASHBACK//
A short time later they were both sitting around a small table in a secluded part of the restaurant. Kate by this time was beyond surprised at all the planning that Tony had obviously gone through.

When they were shown to their table it was immediately apparent that Tony had called ahead and arranged for some special personal touches. Their table was in a quiet part of the restaurant to allow the couple their privacy. On the table were more of her favourite flowers in a simple glass vase. The lights around the table were dimmed slightly, and soft music played, contributing to the atmosphere. As they neared the table Kate also noticed a bottle of her favourite wine being chilled at the side.

A surprise? She was blown away.

After the waiter had come and gone with their menus and orders Tony looked over at Kate grinning. She looked absolutely gorgeous tonight, even more so than normal if that was possible.

"See something you like?" Kate asked playfully.

"Maybe; haven't decided yet." Kate hit him softly laughing. "Always Katie... always." They both smiled.

Soon after this the food arrived and they started eating. While they were eating they kept the conversation light and tried to avoid work topics. When they had finished eating Kate finally gave in.

"Okay. Fine. What's the surprise Tony? You know its killing me." He grinned. He had just been waiting for her to give. ‘One hour and twenty-three minutes' he thought to himself looking at his watch.

"Patience is not your virtue Kate." He smiled. "But then again I wouldn't think of it of a surprise... more of-" He paused then whispered the last bit in her ear. "An evening away from everything, a quiet evening of romance; just me and you."
//FLASHBACK TO BE CONTINUED//
Chapter 15 by dalilNCISfreak
//CONTINUED FLASHBACK//
As Tony whispered the last sentence into her ear he carefully reached into his coat pocket and slowly fingered a small back velvet jewellery box. He had been thinking about this for awhile not. After all; he had wanted this to be the best setting for him to tell her this. Sure; they had been dating for three months now, and only a month ago had they both committed themselves to being exclusive with the other. But when was the time right to tell the woman you loved that you not only loved her but were in love with her?

Tony had decided that tonight was his time.

"Tony? Tony!" He shook himself out of the reverie and looked back at Kate.

"Huh?"

"Are you alright?"

"Yeah... why?"

"Cause you've been zoned out for the last minute or so."

"Oh. Didn't notice." He smiled playfully. "The question is; are you enjoying yourself, Miss Todd?"

"Tony... of course I am! Dinner was fantastic. And there's this gorgeous guy sitting next to me." They laughed before Kate continued. "Seriously though... tonight has been perfect."

There is a short pause in their conversation; as they both stop to think. They of course had no clue about what the other was thinking about, but just one glance at their faces would tell the story. Both sitting in the restaurant, hands intertwined and reflecting on what the other person had brought into their life.

"Why Tony? Why me?" Kate finally breaks the silence. With the one question she's been asking herself all the way through these three months. The one question that she hadn't been able to ask before this moment; perhaps the one reason that she hadn't expressed her love for him verbally. She knew it, and he probably knew it too; so far she still couldn't say it.

"Because... ‘cause..." Tony stuttered... something unusual for him. Should he lie? And keep up the barrier which he had put up over himself because of all the shallow relationships, with nothing to last the day after? He looked up into her eyes. No. She did love him; he could see it in her eyes. What was that thing that Ducky said? ‘The eyes are the window to the soul.' And he was sure it saw love in her eyes. The truth it was. But he still couldn't look her in the eyes when he answered her question. "Because I love you;" he paused then continued. "Because Caitlyn Todd I love you, but not only that but I have fallen in love with you, and I'll never stop loving you." He paused, and then finally looked up, only to see Kate looking straight back at him, a tear forming in her eye.

There it was; that was the answer she was looking for. After the countless number of guys that she had gone through, hoping in every relationship that he would tell her that. Then she knew that she could stop fearing that hidden fear of him going back to his old ways. "I was hoping you would say that Tony, because I have absolutely fallen for you, I'm just as in love with you."

Tony reached into his pocket, and took out the same small jewellery box which he had been fingering nervously just a few minutes ago. He motioned for her to turn around before taking out the silver necklace from the box and putting it on for her.

As she turned back around, she fingered the necklace and looked up at him as he said. "This is my promise to you."
//END FLASHBACK//
Chapter 16 by dalilNCISfreak
As they got in the car and Tony started the drive home, they were in constant physical contact. Neither of them wanted to let go; and Tony could feel his wife's unease. It had been a long day, with them having to track down Petty Officer Michelle Roberts' husband and inform him not only of her death, but also the loss of that young life within her; something that he had not even known of before this. It had been especially hard on Kate, and Tony had definitely noticed during the day, but had chosen not to say anything about it.

By the time they finally got home that day, Tony had driven himself crazy thinking of possibilities. The night before she had been completely fine, well, now that he thought of it she hadn't been "completely fine" in awhile. Just last week he had finally made her stay home, she had been sick all week and they had blamed it on the flu which was going around at the moment. But that was last week; and she had been feeling fine the past few days... to the best his knowledge anyway.

"Kate... we're home." He looked up at Kate who was sitting in the passenger seat and realised that she had fallen asleep. Then he looked back down at his hand to find that though she was asleep, her hand was still holding firmly onto his; like she needed that small comfort even while she slept.

"Kate! Wake up... we're home" He called to her again, shaking her gently as she slowly woke up.

"Mm... I'm awake." She mumbled as they got their things from the car and headed inside.

"Hungry?" he asked. She nodded. "Kay... I'll order us some takeaway. Chinese?"

"Yeah Tony... Chinese is fine." Kate said as she walked over to the couch. After calling the restaurant and placing the order Tony walked over to couch. Kate stood up, allowing him to sit on the couch before sitting back down on his lap and leaning onto him.

They sat and watched television in relative silence until about half an hour later the door bell rang and they got up to answer it.

"I have an order for Mr DiNozzo." The delivery boy announced when the door was opened. Tony took the food from the boy and paid him before taking the food into the kitchen where Kate was waiting.

"What did you get?"

He started taking the food out from the containers while he answered. "Your favourite, as usu- Kate?!" he dropped what he was doing and ran after her to the bathroom to see his wife leaning over the toilet throwing up. "Kate? Are you alright?" He asked concerned as he handed her a warm towel.

Kate rolled her eyes as she got up as she thought, ‘At this rate I'm not going to have to tell him; he would have figured it out.' "Yeah... I'm fine. I think the smell put me off."

Tony wasn't convinced. He ordered her favourite stuff, which he'd never seen her decline ever, and now the smell was putting her off? Something just wasn't quite right. And he could bet anything that it had to do with her odd behaviour throughout the day. He felt her forehead. "Ahh... Kate, you're hot honey. We're getting you in bed. Don't want to risk you getting the flu again."

Kate just nodded. ‘Flu? That would make things so much less complicated.' She turned to face him. "Lie with me till I fall asleep?"

"Absolutely."
Chapter 17 by dalilNCISfreak
Tony woke up to silence, not unusual, since a quick glance at the clock beside their bed told hm that it was nearly two in the morning. He felt around on Kate's side; nothing.

"Kate?" When he got no response he was immediately worried. Where could she have gone at nearly two in the morning... on a Sunday? And her incidents with Ari did anything but help to stop him worrying either. Especially when the bastard was still out there.

Quietly he got up from bed and went to the dresser. He reached in and took out his service weapon; he was getting more nervous by the second. As he stepped out of the bedroom and into the hallway he noticed that the kitchen light was on. ‘Odd...' he thought. ‘I remember turning it off before coming to bed.' With that playing in his mind he cautiously turned the corner with his gun in front of him.

"Tony! Don't shoot!" Kate yelled as she saw a gun, followed by her husband come into full view. "Tony?" She looked him up and down. "What's with the gun?"

Then it was his turn to look her up and down. He almost smiled when he saw that she had put on his shirt after he fell asleep again. Almost. "I... I... I thought he took yo... you." He stuttered obviously still shaken as he put the safety back on then the gun on the table before pulling her close.

They stood like that for awhile in a comfortable silence before he pulled away to look at her while he asked what she was doing out of bed at this hour anyway.

"I was hungry." Kate said simply, pointing to the biscuits she had put on the counter. "I missed dinner remember? So I just came out to get something to eat."

When she saw that he was still shaken she took him by the hand and led them back to their bedroom. After storing the gun back to its right place she led him to their bed before slipping in on her side. She was surprised when he held onto her tight; tighter than he had ever done before.

Turning to face Tony, Kate looked him in the eye. "I'm still here with you, nothing's wrong, everything's fine and I love you... immensely."

Then for the first time since they were married she watched and waited for him to fall asleep. She leaned over, giving him a soft peck on his cheek before she settled down, and once again fell asleep in her husband's safe, loving embrace.
Chapter 18 by dalilNCISfreak
The night went and morning came all too quickly for Kate. As she woke up she found that Tony's grip on her was just as tight as it was last night when she had finally fallen asleep.

Kate turned slowly, not wanting to wake him. She got out of their bed quietly. After going through her daily morning routine she went to the kitchen. Kate had made up her mind. She was going to tell him today. And she had it all planned out.

Moving around the kitchen as quietly as possible, Kate got the ingredients necessary to make her husband's favourite breakfast. What better way to tell him then over a Fathers' Day breakfast? Although he didn't know it yet. Yet. She prepared herself mentally. Yeah sure, so he had promised her that they would be ‘together forever'. But that was before this happened. ‘Kate. You're being silly again. You're going to tell him. Today. During breakfast.' She nodded to herself subconsciously.

Ding. Breakfast was ready. It was time.

Kate picked up the breakfast and carried it back into their room slowly. When she looked at her husband in bed she shook her head. It was nearly ten in the morning yet he was still asleep. She placed the breakfast on his bedside table as she moved to her side of the bed grinning; she knew a way that was sure to get him up fast.

Lying in bed next to him she moved closer till his shoulder was in reach of her lips. She leaned over and started kissing him, slowly, tenderly, the way only a lover could. She worked her way up to his neck before stopping and slowly moving out of their bed.

"Get up faker!" she said to Tony knowing that he would have to be awake by now.

Instead of hearing her husband's voice for a reply she felt him take her hand and stop her from leaving their bed. He rolled over and faced her.
"Now Kate... what have I thought you after all this time? You know you can't just stop there! You have to finish what you start."

Then he kissed her. Even with the bad breath that he could possibly have at that moment Kate couldn't have cared less. Her husband was kissing her and there was something different about this one, something about it that was reassuring, soft, yet passionate at the same time. Then again she reasoned... maybe it was just her.

When they'd finally broken apart for air he held her close and whispered into her ear.

"Now that is how you do it. From start... right to the end." Kate just smiled... he hadn't noticed the breakfast yet. All in good time...
Chapter 19 by dalilNCISfreak
"Are you feeling better?" Tony asked after he'd let her go. He was still concerned... and who could blame him? Kate was not just his wife but also his partner at work which meant that they were hardly, if ever separated. If there was something bothering her he would usually know the reason behind it. But nothing had gone wrong. They hadn't fought over anything recently, and there hadn't been a case which really bothered her in awhile.

"Yeah... I'm fine. I guess I just needed a good night's sleep." Kate was lying through her teeth and she knew that he'd pick up on it soon. They'd become so close that they could practically read the other's mind.

Tony rolled back over to his side of their bed when he saw the breakfast on his bedside table. ‘She must have been up longer than I thought if she made that this morning.' He thought to himself.

Without looking over at her husband and as if she'd heard his thought, Kate spoke up. "What day is it today?" She asked, trying to keep her voice as steady and casual as possible; as ‘normal' as possible.

"Sunday... why?" Tony answered slowly as he turned back and watched his wife get up and walk back over to his beside table.

"I know it's Sunday... any special occasion?" She continued setting up the breakfast-in-bed for him.

"Erm, Kate... honey? We're in the bedroom. I thought you didn't like having food in the bedroom." He said sitting up and still trying to figure out what the special occasion was. ‘Anniversary, no... its only been five months and two weeks; birthdays... no... I'd remember if it was my birthday and hers isn't till next month...' he let his thoughts run wild as he thought of different occasions.

"I don't... but I just thought that today should be an exception." Kate stalled some more. After all, she knew that there was no reason for him to remember exactly what today was.

"Oh." Her unusual behaviour was confusing him as he continued watching her setting up the breakfast around him. Him. It was only on his side. What exactly was this occasion? He'd run out of ideas.

As she finished setting up the breakfast, Kate looked up and locked eyes with her husband. His confusion shone through – just as she was almost completely certain that her nervousness was shining through her own eyes.

Almost as if he'd seen through her façade, her eyes letting out her secret; Tony took her hand and gently brought her closer to him. "What's really happening Kate? You're fighting to sound normal, you're setting up breakfast in bed for me – for no obvious reason, you're nervous... and you still haven't told me what was going through your head yesterday when you told me things were going to have to change. What's really going on? You gotta let me in baby, what's bothering you? Just tell me and I'll try make it all disappear."

Kate joined him in their bed once again, again reminded of the intensity of the love which they shared. She sat facing him, slowly leaning in and giving him another kiss, she kept it small, gentle; not wanting it to lead into something more. Just a small kiss between lovers.

She sat back up once more and looked into her husband's eyes, at the same time willing her voice not to crack.

Three simple words which could potentially change their worlds.

"Happy Fathers' Day."
Chapter 20 by dalilNCISfreak
Tony sat back in bed, trying to comprehend what exactly it was that she had just told him. Three simple words which had obviously been replaying themselves in his wife's mind over and over for the past day or so.

"Happy Fathers' Day"

Three simple words that individually could mean some things so simple; yet when put together could mean something so entirely different, something so new, something so complex. Three simple words which could change his life, his marriage, and himself; drastically.

Kate sat back, giving her husband some space as she watched the meaning behind those three simple words come to light to him. She watched as he blinked a couple of times, before looking straight back at her again. And then she watched as he sat up slowly. Could it be? Could it really be; that the man she loved was running from this change that had come up unexpectedly? Could it be; that the man who had promised her forever was running from the near perfect life she'd thought they'd been living together?

His voice broke through her private thoughts; her private fears.

"Fathers' Day." His voice was questioning, as he took her into his arms, her small, delicate frame sitting Indian style on his lap.

"Yeah." She paused, running her fingers through his hair gently. "I'm pregnant Tony."

"You made me breakfast and you said Happy Fathers' Day because you're pregnant." He whispered clarifying what she had just told him minutes ago just one more time. He had to be certain.

She leaned into his embrace that little bit more and nodded, confirming that what he had heard was absolutely right.

He tilted her chin up, forcing her to face him, showing her his million dollar grin, showing her that it was all going to be alright, showing her that he was absolutely ecstatic about her news.

"So that was why you were so distracted yesterday, why you kept making trips to the bathroom while you thought that no one had noticed, why you paled when Abby confirmed that the petty officer in our case was pregnant and why you threw up after just a whiff of your favourite Chinese food?"

She simply nodded, causing all his worries over the last two days to disappear. He took her lips into his gently, showing her with just one simple gesture; the passion he had for their marriage, the excitement he now had for the coming months and the love which he could only ever have for her.
Chapter 21 by dalilNCISfreak
"So how far along are we?" Tony asked as he washed the dishes from the breakfast which they had ended up sharing.

"I have no idea... although..." Kate grinned suggestively as she sat on the counter top in their kitchen. Tony had never felt more relived to see her smile gracing her features after the past day or so. "All I know is that we're pregnant."

Tony looked up at her with a mischievous grin. "What's up with that cheese ball grin you've got on?" He was baiting her. He knew it, she knew it, yet they both played along.

"Cheese ball?" She stuck her tongue out at him. "You're one to talk..." She teased as he finished the dishes before coming at her. He picked her up easily and carried her over to the couch in the living room, both of them laughing the whole time.

"I've never seen you this excited ever." He grinned as she blushed. "Hey... but it's not as if this happens everyday." His mind was racing with all the things that they would have to get done soon and over the coming months.

As if she'd read his mind, Kate started talking again. "Oh my gosh Tony!" She exclaimed before starting to list all the things that she could think of in that moment. "We have to go to the doctors, buy baby stuff, get the room ready... we have to tell the director - which means I'll be put on desk duty-" She groaned. "And you know how much I hate that. And we have to tell McGee and Abby and Ducky and Palmer and-" She stopped, thinking of the last person that she wanted to face at the moment.

Sure, it was the best news any person, or couple could get... and it was that much more special when it was the first time, but it was these things where you simply didn't know the outcome to which could change the atmosphere of the celebration, these things where you simply couldn't foretell a reaction, a response... which made you want to hold in the news, to keep it quite instead of shouting it out like you would love to. It was these things, which limited you to keeping inside the very thing you wanted to declare to the world.

"Gibbs." He supplemented as he wondered how on earth they were going to tell Gibbs about this, he cringed as he remembered how his boss had reacted to their engagement. Last on their verbal check list, yet a definite first on their ‘must-tell' list. If the news got to him any other way or through someone else Tony knew that he would be the one facing Gibbs' wrath.

Changing the tone of the conversation Tony asked "So when do we get to say anything?"

"Let's not say anything for yet... I kinda like this as our secret. Just between the two of us for now." Kate said as he nodded in agreement. He just wondered how long it would take for someone to figure them out. He thought it would be Gibbs... but for their sakes he was hoping that it would be Abby or even McGee.
Chapter 22 by dalilNCISfreak
Author's Notes:
Chapter 22 - I LOVE YOU
As it did every morning in perfect routine, the sun rose the next morning, peeked through the windows in their bedroom and gently shed light onto her sleeping figure. Tony lay awake next to Kate, wanting nothing more than spend every morning like this, waking up to the most beautiful woman sleeping peacefully next to him. His eyes traced her naked body, over every curve and dip slowly as if she herself were a form of art; and savouring each moment he had alone with her in complete silence, blissful silence watching over her, keeping her safe and at arms length from the harsh realities of the world outside of their bedroom.

His eyes started at her feet and made their way up her body – which in his mind was perfect. As he went over her abdomen he thought of the life that was now present within her, a life that was so small, so delicate and so fragile that it wasn't even noticeable yet. A life that if it wasn't for the constant sickness and mild discomfort it was causing his wife hadn't made itself known. And most of all a life that he and she each had a hand in creating and one that would bring them both immense, unspeakable and indescribable joy.

He watched silently, keeping himself still as she gently stirred. He watched as she turned slowly, eyes still closed, to face him – just as she did every morning. He moved himself closer to her as she – as if having sensed his eyes on her accepted his gentle lips on hers in a good morning kiss – a simple kiss between lovers, a kiss requiring neither words nor explanation.

His hands made their way onto her skin and then trailed gently down to her abdomen where he lazily began tracing small circles for no reason or purpose; just out of habit. If there was one thing they had learnt over their five months of being man and wife was the simplicity yet significance of their communication through touch. Touch, which carried no obligation to sex or anything else but instead just simply perhaps a touch of reassurance, a touch of understanding, and most of all, a touch of love.

He smiled as he watched her eyes finally opening slowly and then watched as her own smile lit up her brown eyes. His hand moved slowly, tenderly, up her body and then stopped as he reached her arm. Catching her eye, he started writing with his finger, tracing letters and shapes; a message so simple, that came from the depths of his soul and the bottom of his heart; a message that she wouldn't want from any other man on the planet, a message that aroused her soul and ignited her heart.

‘I (heart) U'
End Notes:
ever tried writing a complete chapter of a story without any dialogue? it was hard.. but here's what i came up with.
This story archived at http://www.ncisfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=5201