If This Is The Last Night by Outside Edge
Summary: Set in the middle of One Shot, One Kill. Ducky expresses his concerns to Gibbs.
Categories: Gibbs/Ducky Characters: None
Genre: Established relationship
Pairing: Gibbs/Ducky
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 727 Read: 1885 Published: 06/26/2006 Updated: 06/26/2006
Story Notes:
I don't own them, only borrowing for a while. Not making any money either.

1. If This Is The Last Night by Outside Edge

If This Is The Last Night by Outside Edge
Author's Notes:
Set in the middle of One Shot, One Kill. Ducky expresses his concerns to Gibbs.
IF THIS IS THE LAST NIGHT


There was a ring on the doorbell at Gibbs' house. Hastily pulling on his shirt, he bounded down the stairs, frowning at the time on his watch. It was late, who on earth would be calling at this hour?

He opened the door, Ducky stood on the doorstep, his long blond hair framed by the porch light.
"Duck." Gibbs looked confused, "What are you doing here?"
"Forgive me Jethro for the lateness of the hour." Ducky said, "May I come in?"
"Sure, sure." Gibbs held the door wider to let the M.E. through.

"Jethro, I'll come straight to the point." Ducky said.
"That'll be a first Duck." Gibbs said, smiling "Drink?" He held up a bottle of bourbon.
"Ah, no, I don't think so. Well perhaps a little one." Ducky paced the room.
Gibbs poured them both a drink.
"For God's sake Duck sit down, you're making me nervous" he commented.

"Jethro, I wanted to speak with you about tomorrow." Ducky started.
"I've already told you. I need you at the office." Gibbs said, pinning the first row of medal ribbons to his chest.
"But I feel that I could be so much more use to you out in the field." Ducky persisted.
"Nope, Duck, you'd only get in the way." Gibbs replied. Pinning the second row up, he regarded himself in the mirror.
"I would not!" Ducky replied, indignantly. "What if someone got hurt?" he persisted.
"Paramedics will be on stand by." Gibbs said, he turned and faced Ducky. "You mean what if I got hurt. Be honest Duck, that's what this is all about."
"Well?"
"No" Gibbs said, emphatically, "We've got our team set, the FBI will be there."
"Who would gladly see you killed by a snipers bullet." Ducky said, darkly.
Gibbs sighed, "That won't happen."
"But Jethro," Ducky persisted.
"No ‘But's' Duck, you're not going."
Ducky slumped back in his seat.
"Are these straight?" Gibbs asked, trying to soften the blow.
Ducky got up and stood in front of Gibbs.
"Keep still my dear." he said, "You will be wearing a vest tomorrow won't you?"
"Yep." Gibbs replied.
Ducky looked at him critically.
"Don't lie to me Jethro." he said, a hint of coldness in his voice.
Gibbs shrugged.
"You know how I feel about those things."
"Jethro, the sniper is out to kill you!" Ducky exclaimed.
"Yeah, I know that Duck."
"Then why do it, why put your life on the line?" Ducky persisted.
"Kate will be there too." Gibbs reminded him.
"Tosh, our sniper friend isn't after Kate, he's after the recruiter, he's after you." Ducky replied, he ran his finger down Gibbs' cheek.
"Don't do it." he pleaded.
"I have to." Gibbs replied, quietly.
"Why, dearest?"
"You know why." Gibbs turned away, unable to meet Ducky's gaze.
"Semper Fidelis!" Ducky snorted, "That old chestnut! Always Faithful . It's a pity you've not been able to aspire to that ideal in your private life" Ducky said, bitterly.
"Duck!" Gibbs cried, "Let's not argue. Not tonight. If anything should happen, I don't want us to leave things like this." He crossed over to the dresser and poured himself another drink.
"If I was to lose you Jethro, I don't know what I'd do. I'd have nothing."
"You have this house and the boat." Gibbs replied.
"And what exactly would I do with a half finished boat?" Ducky scoffed.
"Finish it yourself or bury me in it." Gibbs suggested.
"Not much call for a Viking style funeral in DC" Ducky said, holding out his glass for a refill "Although the idea of a Viking longship ablaze and floating down the Potomac River does seem romantic." he mused.
"A simple pine box will do."
"Oh I think I can do better than that!" Ducky replied.
"Whatever you choose will be okay by me." Gibbs assured him, moving in close and gently kissing him on the cheek.
"You know I always did love you in uniform. Although your full dress uniform is by far the most flattering. I must confess, I even find what you have on now rather gives you a, shall we say, rakish air…" Ducky mused.
Gibbs grinned and opened his arms wide.
"C'mere." he said, his eyes aflame.
"If you insist Gunny." Ducky moved forward into Gibbs' embrace.
End Notes:
I don't own them, only borrowing for a while. Not making any money either.
This story archived at http://www.ncisfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=5720