How It All Began by LivStabler
Summary: A rewrite of how Kate and Tony meet. Part one in the Todd sister series. Complete! Part II will be called Holiday Cheer.
Categories: DiNozzo/Kate Characters: None
Genre: Angst, Drama, Friendship, Hurt/Comfort, Series
Pairing: DiNozzo/Kate
Warnings: Violence
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 7 Completed: Yes Word count: 4162 Read: 16735 Published: 09/30/2006 Updated: 09/30/2006

1. How It All Began by LivStabler

2. Welcome to NCIS by LivStabler

3. Chapter 3 by LivStabler

4. Chapter 4 by LivStabler

5. Chapter 5 by LivStabler

6. Chapter 6 by LivStabler

7. Chapter 7 by LivStabler

How It All Began by LivStabler
Author's Notes:
A rewrite of how Kate and Tony meet. Part one in the Todd sister series. Complete! Part II will be called Holiday Cheer.
Disclaimer I own only Michelle.

Caitlin Todd sat down on one of the plush seats on Air Force One. Glancing down at her watch impatiently. She needed to get to Washington on time or her baby sister would shot her. Kate fidgeted in her seat earning a glare from the secretary of defense.

Smiling sheepishly she turned away from him. Opening her bag she pulled out a file her sister had sent to her. Looking down she glanced at the photo that was paper clipped to his wrap sheet. Flipping to where Michelle had jotted down some notes about the man.

Bradley Lawrence was twenty five years of age and had a wrap sheet longer that a novel. From everything from petty larceny to attempted murder. Rolling her eyes as she glanced down at the crime scene photos one was Petty Officer Corbin Gross.

Moving to the next was a Navy Seal by the name of Collin Thomas the final photo was of an NCIS agent or so said the report. Her stomach began to do tumble as she looked at the horrific photos. She glanced up when the hatch slammed shut. Reaching down she fastened her seatbelt. She leaned her head on her hand as she read threw the autopsy report.

Apparently this guy was not only a monster but loved to torture his victims. This man had a fancy from making people suffer. Closing the file she placed it securely back in her bag. Leaning back in her chair as the plane began to climb in altitude. Shifting slightly she rested her head back when an odd feeling shot through her.

She watched as a secret service agent assigned to the first lady walked up and down the corridor. Unfastening her seat belt she moved toward him.

"Excuse me sir. You can't be in this section of the plane please return to your assigned area." Kate said.

The man nodded swiftly and began to move back toward the first lady's room. When he stopped short it put Kate on edge. As he began to reach into his pocket. Pulling her gun out from its holder she stepped in forward.

"Sir please remove your hand from your jacket."

The man turned around.

"And if I don't."

"You'll be dead be fore you hit the ground." Kate said gripping her gun.

The man smiled widely and slowly began to pull his hand out. She saw the gleam of metal. Kate took a step forward.

"Drop your weapon!" she yelled as she watched out of the corner of her eye as the President and secretary of state were rushed out of the room.

His hand was now out of his jacket and he was holding what looked like to be a grenade.

"Drop your weapon! Or I'll shoot!" she yelled again.

"Okay." He said. As he launched his arm back to throw it.

Kate squeezed the trigger and watched as his body jerked from the force of the impact. She watched in horror as the grenade slipped from his lifeless grasp. It exploded in a cloud of dust. Kate coughed violently as the smoke assaulted her lungs.

Sagging against the wall in relief.

"Are you okay?" Rich Marlow head of the secret service asked.

"Yes, but he not." She said nodding toward the dead man.

"I can see that." She said with a smirk.

Moving into the back of the plane Madeline the President's daughter ran to her and hugged her legs tightly.

"Tank you Kate." She said looking up at her.

Kate smiled at the girl.

"You never have to thank me." She said softly.

2:00 pm Washington.

Agent Michelle Todd was ready to strangle the man she was talking to over the phone. Special Agent Jethro Gibbs was like a dog with a bone. He refused to let this case go.

"Agent Gibbs this is not an NCIS matter any more it is now a federal investigation.

"That man killed one of my agents! I want this case please." He said near desperation.

Michelle closed her eyes she knew what it was like to lose a member of the team.

"Fine Agent but I and sister will be joining your team for the duration of this investigation."

"Thank you I'll see you within the hour." He said as he hung up.

Leaning back in her chair Michelle sighed. She had heard horror stories about Agent Gibbs how one of his best agents was recently killed when her car exploded. Now he was hell bent on making sure that they caught him no matter what it cost him.

Looking up when someone knocked on her door she smiled when she saw her sister through the glass. Rushing over she pulled to door open and hugged her sister tightly.

"I'm glad you're okay I heard what happened." Michelle said looking at Kate.

"How? It was not released." Kate said in slight shock.

"Kate I'm FBI." She said rolling her eyes.

"True." She said with a laugh.

"Come on before were late." Michelle said grabbing her sister and dragging her behind.

"Late for what?" she asked as her sister pulled her down the hall.
Welcome to NCIS by LivStabler
NCIS Building:

Kate had never seen her sister so pissed in her whole life. As she dealt with a security guard at the main desk.

"How do I know that is a real badge?" he asked crossing his arms over his chest.

"How do I know that's you're real hair?" she snipped.

A deep laugh sounded from behind her.

"Peters there fine give them a clearance pass before she shots ‘ya." A man with graying hair said.

"You must be Agent Todd."

"Yes." They both answered.

"I'm Gibbs." He said offering his hand.

"Nice to meet you sir." Michelle said.

When she saw him cringe she cocked an eyebrow.

"Don't call me sir."

"Okay." Michelle said giving him a look.

"And you are?" Gibbs asked.

"Agent Kate Todd."

"Follow me." Gibbs said moving through the lobby. Michelle glared one final time at the guard.

Bullpen:

"DiNozzo, McGee front and center." Gibbs said leaning on one of the vacant desks.

"As we all know the man who killed Ziva is still out there. FBI agent Todd will be here to help us with the investigations, as well as her sister secret service agent Todd." Gibbs said stepping aside so Michelle could say something.

"Okay I know you two are not very happy about my presence but frankly I don't care. We only have one concern and that is to find a murder. I make no apologies if I step on any ones toes. I'm not here to win a popularity contest." Michelle said as she moved toward a computer.

"Hey that's my desk." Tim McGee said. Michelle tossed him a withering glare.

"But you can use it." He said moving to a vacant desk.

Kate took the vacant desk next DiNozzo and entering the secret service data bases. Typing in the name Rodney Burgess into the data base, not really expecting anything to pop up only terrorists and assigns were in this new data base.

"Michelle I got something." Kate called to her sister not taking her eyes off the computer screen.

"What?" Michelle asked rushing over to the desk.

"Apparently Rogers was arrested back in 2000 for being in touch with a known terrorist. He gave up his boss for a deal and was released two years ago." Kate said as she continued to scan through the document.

"This is just getting better and better." Gibbs mumbled under his breath.

"Oh it gets worse its noted that he may have been linked to an Iraqi terrorist group. His last place of employment was at a nuclear power plant of all places, and he has not checked in with his parole officer since almost two months ago. Just about the time these murders started." Kate said rubbing the back of her neck.

"Wonderful we have a murder out there that has friends in the nuclear field. This whole ordeal just got really messy." Tony replied. Michelle nodded her head slightly.

"Kate does it say who his boss was?" Michelle asked rubbing the back of her neck.

"Yep, Odin Cumberland."

"Find anyone from his group that is still on the outside. There is a reason he is targeting members of the armed forces. We need to find out why." Michelle said sitting down.

The phone priced through the room.

"Gibbs." He said opening his cell phone.

"Were on our way." He said closing his phone.

"We have another murder."
Chapter 3 by LivStabler
Gibbs cursed darkly at the sight before him. Another Navy Seal had been killed. It was one of the most gruesome sights he had ever seen. Blood was sprayed all over the interior of the car.

He watched as the two new girls jumped right in. Michelle took point on photographing the scene while Kate inspected the car. Tony was busy doing the crime scene sketch while McGee was throwing up in the gutter. Why he bothered to come into work sick was beyond him.

Moving toward the back of the car he cocked an eyebrow as Kate crawled under the car. He was about to pop open the trunk when Kate yelled from under the car.

"Bomb!"

Tony rushed over to help her up and glanced over at his shaken boss.

"How did you know?" he asked softly gazing into her eyes.

"I'm a secret service agent I'm paranoid." She said never breaking eye contact.

Michelle smiled and turned the camera on them and snapped a few pictures. This would come in handy later.

Lab:

After three pain staking hours of processing the scene Kate was ready to impale herself on a dull knife. Following Tony into what appeared to be a lab. Her sister right behind her anger radiating off of her.

"Hey Abbs, this is the Todd sisters that sarcastic one is Kate and the pissed one is Michelle." Tony said hooking a thumb at Kate.

He jumped when Michelle hauled off and kicked him in the back of the knee. Tony turned around his mouth open.

"Hey I was going to kick you in the butt except I didn't want to damage your brain anymore than it already is." Michelle said with a wide grin.

Kate rolled her eyes at her sister's antics.

"Tony take Kate and go interview the victims bunk mate." Gibbs said poking his head into the room.

"You got it boss." Tony said leading Kate out. Michelle just smiled she had a feeling that her sister would not be returning to the White House after this.

Abby smiled as Tony lead Kate out of the room.

"Twenty bucks says he says something to piss her off within the hour." Michelle said with a smile.

"I knew I liked you." Abby said with a grin.

Two hours later Abby and Michelle were sitting on the couch talking McGee sitting on the arm behind Abby. They turned when they heard a raised voice.

"I can't believe you did that!" Kate yelled as she walked into the lab.

"All I did was asking if that person was Brian." Tony snipped back.

"But it was a woman Tony!" Kate said exasperated.

"How was I supposed to know?"

"She was wearing a name tag!" Kate said slamming her hand on the desk.

Tony could not seem to come up with a come back and just stood there dumbfounded.

Kate growled and left the room.

Michelle stuck her hand out and Abby and McGee paid up.
Chapter 4 by LivStabler
Gibbs stormed into the bullpen a Styrofoam cup of coffee in each hand. Tony looked up and cringed at the sight. Gibbs having two cups of coffee was a very bad sign. Glancing down quickly when Gibbs turned his glare on him.

Tony busied himself shuffling papers watching Gibbs out of the corner of his eye. He watched as Gibbs slammed his desk drawer. Causing a sleeping McGee to fall backwards in his chair.

Michelle rolled her eyes as McGee jumped to his feet. As Gibbs glared daggers at him. Choking back a laugh she went back to searching the data base.

Kate stormed off the elevator throwing a glare at Tony and trying not to notice how good he looked in blue. Storming over to her sister she grabbed a hand full of Michelle's hair.

"Ow! Damn it let go Kate!" she yelled as her chair typed over.

Tony sat back and enjoyed the spectacle. Michelle finally was able to get out of her sisters grip.

"What the hell is the matter with you!" she yelled rubbing her injured scalp.

"Well since I was help out NCIS and the FBI they decided that my time would be better spent here thanks to an anonymous recommendation!" she screeched in her face.

"Hey now calm down sparky I did not recommend you for anything!" Michelle said her eyes narrowing with each word.

Kate's face turned a bright pink.

"Sorry." Kate said with a sheepish smile.

"Yea, tell that to my bleeding scalp." She said rubbing that back of her head as she moved past Gibbs who for the first time all day smiled. Glaring she picked her chair up and went back to work.

McGee smiled to himself his shoulders shaking with laughter.

"McGee! If you don't wipe that smirk off your face Abby will soon find about your encounter with the mail lady." She said with a smirk

"Okay right away." He said turning around.

"Oh really Probie what happened with the mail lady?" Tony asked wiggling her eyebrows.

Kate smiled as Tony continued to tease Tim. Rolling her eyes as Gibbs started screaming at Tony to get back to work.

After working almost twenty hours straight Gibbs finally let them go home. After a long battle with Michelle and Abby who agreed to stay behind Gibbs let Kate, Tony and Tim go home.

"Boss-man come on we have not slept in almost in so long I'm tired." She said letting her head hit the table.

"Sorry Abbs." Gibbs said handing her the giant soda.

"Come on boss the FBI boss lady is a sleep on the floor." Said pointing at a sound a sleep on the floor.

"Todd!" Gibbs yelled as she woke with a start.

"What in the hell is the matter with you?" Michelle screamed.

"Gibbs?" Mike Timber said poking his head in the door.

"What?" he snapped.

"This just came for you."

Snatching the envelope from him and tearing it open. What he saw had just turned the whole investigation.

"He has Kate and DiNozzo." He said softly and watched Michelle collapse in tears
Chapter 5 by LivStabler
Chapter 5:

Gibbs watched as Michelle collapsed to the floor and sobbed uncontrollably. Moving over to her quickly he placed a hand on her shoulder. Abby broke out of her trance and watched as Gibbs did his best to comfort Michelle. Moving toward them she placed a hand on Gibbs shoulder and mouthed " I've got this.".

Gibbs nodded and moved out of the way but stood rooted to the floor as Abby rocked a sobbing Michelle. He had only known this girl for all of two days and he never thought she was capable of this kind of emotion. Rubbing a hand over his face he averted his eyes.

Looking over at the computer screen he say a message flashing on the screen. Walking over to the desk her sat down and clicked on the flashing message. Abby's e-mail popped up and greeted him with a "You've got mail." Gibbs rolled his eyes and clicked and the new message.

He was surprised at the one line message.

Watch This

Scrunching his eyebrows he clicked on the link pervaded. A grainy image began to appear. Moving closer to the screen he was finally able to make out the picture. It was Kate and Tony bound to two chairs. Then he heard a voice.

"Come find them Gibbs. You have forty eight hours." then the image cut off. By this time Abby and Michelle were standing behind him.

" At least we know their alive." Abby murmured softly to Michelle.

"No we don't this could have been pre-tapped." he said turning around in the chair.

He watched as Michelle turned and ran from the room covering her mouth and heading for the restroom.

"Great work Gibbs." Abby hissed as she rushed after her.

Tony groaned and slowly opened his eyes. Trying his best to ignore the throbbing in the base of her skull. Trying to move his hand he was surprised to feel the rope bite into his skin. Cursing under his breath he looked around for Kate. Seeing her slumped in her chair a feeling of dread past through him.

"Kate!" he whispered loud enough for her to hear him.

When he received no reply he became increasingly worried. Letting his head fall forward slightly he tried to get his wrists free. Pulling as hard as he could he heard footsteps out side the door he closed his eyes and pretended to be asleep.

He heard what sound like some sort of boot scrape across the concrete floor. He sensed him circling around him making a clicking noise with his tongue. Then he heard whimpers and a subdued Ouch. Wonderful of all the time she could have woken up she picks now. Hearing the buffoon behind him change directions and schlepped over to Kate.

His heart sunk when he heard a loud smack.

"Hey!" he yelled when Kate screamed. Hearing her body connect with the floor she let out a whimper that made his heart hurt.

"You think hitting her makes you a man!" he asked yelling at the man who was standing over a frightened Kate. He struggled with his bindings trying to break free and kill the man in front of him. He picked up the chair Kate was tied to and, turned toward Tony smirked and left the room slamming the door behind him.

"Don't worry Katie, Lurch is gone." he said to her softly.

"Thank you Tony." she said

"Its okay sweetie. I'm going to get us out of this." he said murmuring softly to her.
Chapter 6 by LivStabler
She had found her she was a live and safe. She could finally stop worrying herself sick. The menace who kidnapped her sister and Tony was dead. Running across the street as fast as she could. She rushed into the yard of the building where Tony and her sister was.

She was almost there no they would be okay. She put one foot on the front step and the whole house exploded. Knocking her back and taking away her sister and Tony's life in the process.

"NO!" she yelled sinking to the ground. This could not be happening.

"Michelle! Michelle! Wake up!" Gibbs said shaking the screaming brunettes shoulder. Michelle woke with a start. It was just a dream a horrible nightmare. Her sister would survive this she had to. There was still so much to tease her about. So much she still had left to experience.

Especially after what they had gone through as children. Wiping a tear off her cheek she stood.

"Gibbs I'll be in the lab." she said heading for the elevator.

Tony watched her as she slept. She was just to cute the way she would mummer in her sleep. Closing his eyes he heard her whimper.

"No. please don't hurt us." she begged.

"Kate!" he yelled stamping his foot.

Kate woke up with tears in her eyes and offered him a weak smile.

"Tony I'm scared." she said softly.

"I know."

"I mean this is the second time this happened to me." she said looking down at her shoes.

"You were kidnapped before?" he asked amazed.

Kate nodded meekly.

"By who?" he asked his voice soft and caring.

"My neighbor. He was convinced that we were spies watching him to report back to his planet. That he was doing bad things on earth. So one night Michelle and I were playing in our back yard and he grabbed us. Before our parents could get out of the house he already was gone." she said looking at the wall tears flowing down her face.

"What happened?" he asked his voice cracking with emotion.

"He had us for almost a month. We moved every other day. Never staying in town long enough to be recognized. He used to make up call our parents and ask for ransom money. But he would never show up at the drop point. One night he left us in an old cabin in the mountains. He tied us up and left to go to a local hunting store." she said now almost hysterical.

"We knew it would be our only chance and we took it. I was able to wriggle out of my ropes and untied my sister. We broke a window in the bathroom and climbed out. It was snowing and we were both shivering from the cold. Finally after about an hour it stopped snowing. The sun came out thank God it was not hunting season at the time. It took us all day to find the main road. But some how we made it to a local market who called the police. But they never caught him." she said roughly her face red, her eyes puffy.

"Oh baby I'm so sorry." he said soothingly.

She gave him a water smile and looked away.
Chapter 7 by LivStabler
Caitlin Todd thought of herself as a very re-resource full woman. As she managed to pop her shoulder out of place and brought her arms over her head. Reaching down she was able to get the ropes off of her feet. Getting up she walked over to the wall and bit down hard on her lip. She slammed her shoulder in to the wall and grunted low in her throat.

She rushed over to Tony and began to free the ropes. Tony woke up when she tugged harshly on the rope.

"How did you get out of the ropes?" he asked surprised.

"Old softball injury. Sometimes I'm able to dislocate my shoulder." She said as the ropes fell from his hands.

Bending down he proceeded to free his feet.

"Tony could you untie the rope?" she said holding her hands in front of her.

When her hands were finally free she began to pace around the room.

"Now how do we get out of here?" she murmured. Then they heard the heavy motorcycle boots against the flooring.

"Katie bear were going out the door." He said with a soft smirk and grabbing one of the chairs.

The door slowly opened and the man let out a dark curse when he saw they were gone. Tony waited until he stepped into the room before bring the chair down on his head.

"Run!" he yelled as he pushed Kate toward the door and rushed out behind her.

"Wait shouldn't we do something with him?" she asked.

"Another time Katie we have to get out of here." He said picking her up in a fire mans carry and rushed out the front door.

As Tony rushed into the woods Kate lifted her head and glanced back at the cottage.

"Oh My God!" she gasped covering her mouth.

"What?" he asked not stopping.

"This is the same house. From when Michelle and I were kids."

Abby sighed great full Michelle had fallen asleep on the futon. The poor girl was exhausted. She may be twenty two but she looked sixteen. She still looked like a kid. Abby suspected that this stubborn girl did not have much fun as a child. She seemed to fear something.

Abby jumped when Gibbs plowed through the door.

"We found them!"he yelled and Abby jumped up and down in glee.
This story archived at http://www.ncisfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=5906