The Right to Remain Silent by LivStabler
Summary: Tony has been in charge of NCIS for a matter of weeks when he agrees to be an informant for the FBI on the possible involvment of a team member playing a role in Agent Todd's 'death'. When Kate returns the sparks will fly.
Categories: DiNozzo/Kate Characters: Abby Sciuto, Anthony DiNozzo, Donald Mallard, Kate Todd, Leroy Jethro Gibbs, Timothy McGee
Genre: Action, Drama, Romance
Pairing: DiNozzo/Kate, Abby/McGee
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: No Word count: 1368 Read: 2042 Published: 09/30/2006 Updated: 09/30/2006

1. The Right to Remain Silent by LivStabler

The Right to Remain Silent by LivStabler
Author's Notes:
Tony has been in charge of NCIS for a matter of weeks when he agrees to be an informant for the FBI on the possible involvment of a team member playing a role in Agent Todd's 'death'. When Kate returns the sparks will fly.
Disclaimer: Don't own NCIS only Regina & Mark Logan.

The Right to Remain Silent

Shifting in her seat FBI Agent Regina Logan glanced at her husband and coworker before sliding her glance back to the woman at the end of the table. Regina knew this had been hard on the ex agent before her. Being shot in the head with a blood pellet having people she loved believe she was dead. Her whole world ripped away from her. Sighing she looked down at the file before her. Pulling off her wire framed glasses she tossed them down haphazardly on the table.

"Ms. Crandle…" she began before the woman cut her off.

"It's Agent Todd." She replied in a cool voice.

"Ms. Todd your not an agent anymore and you really shouldn't be in the States." She replied rubbing her temples.

"Why I read the papers. Ari is dead so the threat is gone. I want my life back Agent Logan." She replied softly.

"I know Ms. Todd and I sympathize but the threat is far from gone. We have reason to believe that Ari has associates who are also out there. If you suddenly show up alive you'll draw them out of the wood work, and I for one don't want to go through having shot you with a blood bullet again. Everyone believes your dead and it must stay that way." She replied folding her hands on the mahogany table.

"Agent Logan please." She pleaded with the younger woman.

Regina sighed and glanced over at her husband who shrugged.

"Big help." She muttered causing him to roll his eyes.

"Listen I can help you find them. Please I just need my life back it's been almost a year and I can't do it anymore. So I either go back with your help and protection or I go back alone. It's your choice." She replied her eyes blazing with determination.

"You are one stubborn woman." Regain said rolling her blue eyes.

Kate smirked and nodded her head in agreement.

"Okay, this goes against my better judgment but I'll help." Regina said with a sigh.

"Thank you so much." Kate said relief filling her system.

Regina sighed and nodded.

"So when can I see the team?" Kate asked shifting in her seat.

"I'm not sure I'm still debating whether we're going to inform them or not."

"Please, they can help." Kate said crossing her arms.

"We believe there is a leak in the NCIS organization." Mark said finally speaking up.

"Now you talk?" Regina snapped smacking him in the arm.

"Who?"

"We have reason to believe that it was your replacement one Ziva David. She's related to Ari."

"Peachy." Kate snapped.

"We can't be sure we have an informant on the inside. He's collecting evidence for us." Regina replied propping her feet up on the table and crossing her hands in her lap.

"Who's the informant?" Kate asked her eyebrows raised.

"A Tony DiNozzo." Mark said looking at the file.

"DiNozzo?" Kate asked her eyes wide.

Regina nodded her head in conformation.

"Wonderful, my future rides on Tony." Kate grumbled.

"I believe when can inform him about you. At this point he's the only one I trust." Regina replied her eyes grim.

"What about Gibbs?" Kate questioned.

"He's retired." Mark replied.

"Can he know?"

"He could if we knew where he was." Mark grumbled.

"What do you mean? You don't know where he is?"

"After you ‘died' Gibbs was injured in an explosion and took off. He claims he doesn't remember anything. He just seemed to disappear." Regain said gravely.

Kate sighed and nodded she had missed so much.

"What about Abby?"

"That can be arranged." Mark nodded.

"When can I see them?" Kate asked leaning her elbows on the table.

"Just let me make the call." Mark said standing from the table and exiting the office.

"So who is the head of the team now?" Kate asked blowing some of her short brown hair out of her face.

"Agent DiNozzo.' Regain replied letting her legs slide from the table.

Kate nodded Tony was the next highest on the chain.

"How is he doing?" she asked softly.

"Well he took your ‘death' hard. He really grew up. We've been watching him for a few years. Originally we wanted to offer him a job here but the Ari showed up." Regina said picking at her nail polish. Kate nodded solemnly. She had always wondered what it would take to get Tony to grow up. She just hadn't realized it would take him think she was dead.

The glass door swung open with a soft whoosh and Mark walked in.

"There both on their way. I told him we needed to discus the case and wanted to add another source." Mark said looking at his wife. Regina nodded and muffled a yawn with her hand.

"Thank you again." Kate said a small smile on her face.

…………………………………………………………………………………….

Tony DiNozzo sighed as Abby launched into another round of questions. The woman was too curious for her own good. Sighing in relief when the FBI building came into view. Turning the car into the lot he sighed and parked. He was dreading this meeting. Nothing new had come to light. He hoped that maybe they had uncovered something on Ziva.

Pushing the car door open he waited for Abby before continuing toward the building. She continued to chatter on as he pulled open the glass door with the letters FBI etched into the glass. Flashing the badge the Agent Logan had given him at the guard he nodded and waved him forward. Entering the elevator he wished he hadn't left his gun in his desk. Then he could shut up the yammering woman next to him.

The elevator dinged its arrival and he exited quickly Abby not far behind. Nodding at Mark he continued toward Regina's office. Knocking swiftly on the door he heard a muffled come in. Pushing the door open he saw Regina huddled over a mountain of files and paperwork.

"Regina." Tony greeted.

"Sit." She ordered the two.

"What's wrong?" Tony asked shifting in the leather chair.

"It's in regards to Agent Todd." Regina said pulling her glasses off.

"What about her?" Tony asked his voice tight.

"She's alive, Agent DiNozzo." Regina replied clasping her hands.

"No, I s-saw her dead on that roof top." He replied his emotion showing.

"Tony, Agent Todd was placed in the witness protection program. Her death was staged." She explained.

"T-that's impossibly." Abby said her eyes watering.

"No, its not. I'm the one who shot her. At the time I was undercover in Ari's organization. He ordered me to kill her. So I staged it." She replied with a shrug.

"N-no I saw her autopsy."

"You saw what Mr. Mallard was instructed to allow you to see." Regain said with shaking her head.

"Ducky was in on it?" Abby questioned inching forward in her seat.

Regina nodded in conformation.

"I can't believe this."

"Would you like to see her?" Regina asked standing.

"Please." Abby replied her tears finally slipping down her cheeks.

"Follow me." She said pulling open her office door.

Tony stood and followed the two women across the hall and into the boardroom.

"Kate?" Tony questioned his voice horse.

"DiNozzo." She said with a grin and quickly closed the distance between them and hugged him. Pulling back she saw Abby and let out a small squeal.

"KATE!" Abby yelled happily as she lunged at her and hugged her tightly.

Stepping back Abby pulled a hand back and smacked her across the face.

"Abby!" Kate yelled holding her battered cheek.

"Don't scare us like that again." The younger woman ordered before hugging her again.
This story archived at http://www.ncisfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=5907