The Last Day Tony Was Here by no1bean
Summary: when tony dies, kate thinks about the previous day and how they finally got together
Categories: DiNozzo/Kate Characters: None
Genre: Alternate Universe, First Time, Romance
Pairing: DiNozzo/Kate
Warnings: Death story
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 8 Completed: Yes Word count: 5438 Read: 6009 Published: 11/08/2006 Updated: 11/08/2006
Story Notes:
this is my first fic so i would really appreciate your comments. places and adresses are half made up. sorry.
twilight never happened

1. The Last Day Tony Was Here by no1bean

2. Chapter 2 by no1bean

3. Chapter 3 by no1bean

4. chapter 4 by no1bean

5. Chapter 5 by no1bean

6. Chapter 6 by no1bean

7. Chapter 7 by no1bean

8. Chapter 8 by no1bean

The Last Day Tony Was Here by no1bean
Author's Notes:
when tony dies, kate thinks about the previous day and how they finally got together
Chapter 1

Bang! They all hit the deck. Only one did not get up again. Special Agent Anthony DiNozzo. Gibbs and Kate hid behind a parked van and returned fire at the three suspects shooting at them. Kate did not realize Tony was dead, she just thought he was wounded. They got two of the suspects but the third pulled away in a black pick-up.
"Tony!" Kate yelled when she ran over to him. She started to cry when she saw her partner lying still on the cold, hard floor of the parking garage. She started to get restless.
"Kate." Gibbs said as he restrained her. "Kate he's gone"
"No" Kate whined.
"Kate, come on. We have to go."
"No Gibbs, we can't just leave him."
" I'm not going to Kate. Go to the car. I'll be there soon."
Kate went to the car and mourned for her dead friend. She didn't often cry but this time she could not stop. Gibbs placed Tony's body on the back seat and covered his head with his jacket. Gibbs hardly ever cried as well but there, in that moment a single tear slid down his left cheek.
No-one said anything on the journey back to NCIS. Gibbs drove at the speed limit and Kate just sat and cried. They drove into autopsy receiving and Gibbs lifted Tony up and took him inside. Kate ran straight to Abby's lab, she needed to be with her best friend and she also had to break the news. Abby was in her office with the music blaring, as usual. When she saw Kate come in she ran to the CD player and turned the music off.
" Kate. What's wrong?"
" Abs, it's Tony. He.. he didn't make it" at that point Kate started crying again and this time Abby joined her.
"Kate, I'm so sorry. How could this happen?" Abby sobbed.
"All I know is that it is my fault"
"Kate, it's not your fault."
"It is Abs. He jumped in front of me when the shooter tried to kill me. He gave his life for mine." At this point Kate just ran out of the lab and straight to her car. Still in an enormous amount of pain.
On the way home she thought about the day before, the last day Anthony DiNozzo was alive.

*The Day Before*

"Tony!"
"Yes boss?"
"Have you got an ID on our dirt bag yet?"
"I'm working on it boss"
"Well work faster. Kate, you help him. I'm going to see what Abby has."
"Oh joy" She got up, walked over to his desk, stood behind him and bent over so she could see the screen.
"You've been wanting to get this close to me for a while now, haven't you?"
"Shut up DiNozzo. I'm not one of your bimbo 20 year olds that you can charm into anything and chat up with the stupidest lines I have ever heard."
" Your right, Kate. You aren't 20."
"You're actually joking now? Tony, a psychotic killed has kidnapped his victims daughter, who by the way is only 7, and threatening to kill her if NCIS does not clear him for a murder he did commit and 1 million dollars" she finished, taking a huge breath.
"Sorry Kate. I didn't mean to sound insensitive. I actually knew the Commander that was killed"
"You damn well should be sorry and I don't care what you do or who you knew, you will never be ‘sensitive'"
"That time of the month huh?"
"Tony! I've had enough of you. I'm going to see what Abby found."
"Definitely is."
"I heard that DiNozzo!" Kate shouted as the elevator doors closed.

"Abs!" Gibbs yelled as he entered her lab.
"Gibbs!" Abby yelled back. "What brings my Silver Haired Fox down here today?"
"Do you have the DNA I asked for?"
"Patience is a virtue Gibbs"
"Not to me and not right now."
"Someone forgot their coffee today" Abby teased
"Never. I'm having a bad day. It's this Creep. Oh and that Tony and Kate are at it again."
"Again? They already had 2 fights today and it isn't even 11 o'clock. Is it getting to you?"
"Sort of."
"Ohh. Looks like someone needs a hug" Abby said, throwing her hands out. He met her in a warm embrace.
"Eww. Am I interrupting?"
"Kate. How goes things with Tony?" Abby asked in a caring voice.
"The usual Abs. Have you got an ID on this Prick yet?" Abby's computer bleeped behind them.
"I do now" Abby said in her proud voice. "He's a former petty officer. Jason Michaels."
"That name sounds familiar. Who is he Abs?" Gibbs asked.
"You got him a dishonorable discharge 10 years ago" She replied
"Wow" Kate said. "He must have a grudge against you."
"Kate, do you think there is anyone in D.C. who doesn't have a grudge against Gibbs?"
"Good point."
"Hey!"
"Sorry Gibbs" Abby replied.
"Is there an address for him?"
"3752 Clay Street, Baltimore. Gibbs, he's kidnapped a little girl. Do you really expect him to be there?"
"Of course not Abs. I want Tony and Kate to check out his apartment"
"Not with Tony, Gibbs!" Kate moaned.
"Yes with Tony Kate. Now go!" He said in his ‘boss' voice.

As Kate walked into the bullpen, Tony jumped to his feet. "Hey Kate, I'm really sorry about what I said, in all of our fights. You know I didn't mean it right?"
"I know Tony. I didn't mean any of it either"
"Good. Let me make it up to you by letting me take you out to dinner tonight?"
"Actually Tony, I, erm, have a date"
"Oh." He said, sounding a bit too disappointed. "With who?" he said trying to sound like an interested friend.
"My boyfriend."
"Oh. I didn't know you had a boyfriend, Kate"
"Yeah. We have been seeing each other for about a month now. His name is John"
"Oh, Ok. Have fun." He said in a quiet voice
"Tony, we could go out tomorrow night" She said apologetically, trying to make up for obviously hurting him.
"Ok great." He said cheering up.
"Are you two not away yet?" Gibbs yelled and they both jumped.
"Away where boss?" Tony asked, confused.
"To Michaels' apartment"
"Who's ‘Michaels'!"
"The kidnapper DiNozzo, where ya been?" Gibbs asked, frustrated
"Sitting here Boss."
"It was rhetorical DiNozzo!" Gibbs yelled, getting more and more worked up. "Why are you still here?" at that moment Tony and Kate grabbed their stuff and ran to the elevator.
End Notes:
this is my first fic so i would really appreciate your comments
twilight never happened
Chapter 2 by no1bean
Author's Notes:
kate gets kidnapped
Chapter 2

When they got to the apartment, Kate was worried about Tony. He hadn't spoken since there conversation about Kate's boyfriend. All of the way over he just sat in silence.
"Tony, you ok?" Kate asked caringly
"Yeah I'm fine Kate. Why'd ya ask?"
"Nothing. You just seem awful quiet."
"Don't worry. I'm just tired" He lied, seeming to be telling the truth. "Maybe we should clear the place before we go in?"
"Good idea" She said sarcastically they had already knocked and announced themselves so Tony decided to kick the door in. one by one they cleared all the rooms.
"Clear!" Kate yelled as the finished the living room. "I'll check his computer" she moved the mouse and the screensaver disappeared.
"Kate!" Tony yelled from the other room. She never got to see what was on his computer.
"DiNozzo what is it?" she asked hurrying into the other room. What he had found was a full wall dedicated to Commander Schofield. There were pictures and stolen mail. Even drawings which the pervert had drawn himself.
"They're actually quite good." Tony remarked
"Tony!"
"Well they are." He said aloud but what he thought was ‘they are nowhere as great as yours.' He always had loved Kate's drawings. Especially the one she had drawn of him when he was sick in Bethesda. He had actually always loved Kate herself, though he never had the guts to tell her. Ever since that day 3 years ago on Air Force One. He had rehearsed what he would say to her in the mirror. "Kate, there's something I need to talk to you about. I love you. I have always loved you." And in her ideal world her reply would be "I love you too Tony" But he knew that would never happen.
"This is just weird" her voice brought him out of the day dream.
"What is?"
"I you take the letters that are visible it spells ‘LOOK OUTSIDE'
Tony pulled back the curtain and they both looked. There, sitting on the hood of their car was Petty Officer Michaels. He waved and did a fake salute.
"Oh Jesus" Kate whispers and then the both ran out the front door. All they saw was a black pick-up turning the corner.
"Shit" Kate remarked "Tony, will you grab his laptop. I think we should go back to HQ" Tony went inside and disconnected the wires but before he did he read the message that was written in bold in front of him.

‘YOU ARE NEXT NCIS'
Chapter 3 by no1bean
Chapter 3

"Ahh, Kate. You might wanna see this." Tony yelled. There was no reply "Kate? Don't be stupid where are you? Kate" he ran outside. Where in hell had she got to? He saw her badge lying on the pavement. "Oh shit"
"He pulled out his phone and dialed Gibbs' number.
"This better be good DiNozzo. The only thing I want to talk to you about is how you caught this creep."
"We haven't Boss. I think Kate has been kidnapped"
"You ‘think' DiNozzo?"
"Yes. She was behind me one minute and the next she was gone. I found her badge on the street."
"Shit." Gibbs said, just as Tony had done. "Get back here DiNozzo. I want to know exactly what happened" and then he hung up.

In the car Tony called Kate's cell.
"Special Agent DiNozzo." The voice was deep and male. "How nice of you to call. Kate says hi."
"You touch one hair on her head and I swear…" Tony began but the voice broke him off.
"Don't you threaten me now Anthony. You don't want Special Agent Todd ending up like Commander Schofield now do we?"
"You use the word ‘now' and awful lot jackass"
"Don't call me a jackass!"
"Ok. What should I call you"
"Call me ...John"
John? Tony thought. Then he remembered

‘Yeah. We have been seeing each other for about a month now. His name is John'
Kate's voice echoed in his mind.

"Tony!" he heard Kate yell in the background.
"Kate! I'll get you back I promise" Tony shouted into the phone. He was trying not to cry. He would die if anything happened to Kate.
"Ohh, isn't that sweet" John mocked. "Well, got to go. I've got a hostage to interrogate." He hung up.
"Kate!!!" Tony yelled. He was going to find this son of a bitch and make sure his death was a ling painful one if he even looked at Kate funny.
chapter 4 by no1bean
Chapter 4

"Well, your partner certainly does care about you."
From what Kate could figure, she was in a warehouse.
"Why are you doing this John?"
"Family is everything to me"
"Huh?" Kate asked confused.
"I think you know my brother Kate?" he asked, gesturing to the man in the shadows behind him.
"Hello Special Agent Todd" he walked forward and she could she his face. He looked different up close but he was unmistakable. It was Jason Michaels. ‘Oh crap' she thought. Why hadn't she figured it out? John Michaels. It just never clicked. Sometimes the obvious things never do.
"You've been planning this haven't you?" her question was addressed to John but it was Jason who answered it.
"Yes, I have."
"Oh come on Man, we've been planning this."
"Right. Sorry little bro."
"Em, excuse me I don't see the point of me being here" She said, interrupting their personal conversation.
"Oh right. If we have you then maybe NCIS will be a bit more co-operative to my demands."
"Hate to burst your bubble but NCIS doesn't negotiate with kidnappers." She told them with fake confidence. "You might have gotten something if your demands were not so big. I mean, 1 million dollars. Think logically people!"
"Maybe we should kill you then, that is if NCIS doesn't' negotiate."
"Do you seriously think they will give you anything if you murder a Special Agent? Did you take my advice on the logic thing?" She asked, sarcastically.
"Is she always sarcastic?" Jason asked his brother.
"Yup. She also never shuts up about DiNozzo. ‘Oh Tony said this or Tony said that' I think she loves him or something."
"Shut up I do not." She said denying it, even thought she new in her heart that it was true. She also knew that Tony didn't have the same feelings, even though Abby said he did. "So are you going to interrogate me or not because I'd like to get it over and done with?"
"Kate we're not going to interrogate you. We already have everything we need to know. We're just going to make you suffer for a while." And with that she saw him bring the base of her gun downwards and then there was darkness.

She woke up in a room no larger than a jail cell. She saw a little girl cowering in the corner. "Hello?" she asked softly.
"Hi" the little girl replied. She was no more than 7.
"I'm Kate. What's your name?"
"Maya" she said barely more than a whisper. Kate had guessed right. It was Commander Schofield's daughter.
"What are you doing here Maya?"
"I was kidnapped."
"Really? Me too"
"Seriously? Did they kill your mum too?"
"No. I was taken because I was looking for you."
"Oh. Sorry."
"No don't be honey. It is my job. I work at NCIS. I'm a federal agent."
"Cool. What's NCIS?" Kate had gotten tired of answering this question but she told her anyway. She was only 7. She had met 50 year olds who didn't' know what it was.
"It stands for Naval Criminal Investigative Service."
"Oh. My mum told me about you. She said the agent she knew asked her out and wouldn't stop flirting with her."
‘DiNozzo' Kate thought. "No we're not all like that. Just one of us. The guy wouldn't be called Tony DiNozzo by any chance?"
"Yeah, that's what she said his name was"
‘Of course it was' she thought ‘stupid skirt chaser' "Well Tony is the only one who is like that." God I hope so. How could she deal with 2 DiNozzo's. If it was the kind, sweet one who'd stayed with her in the hospital when she was shot then that would be great but if it was the annoying, juvenile side then she would shoot someone. It was ok if it was just a little bit, he could be funny but if it was Tony in his full blown skirt chasing self then she got really pissed off.
"Kate?" she heard a small voice
"What'd ya say?"
"I didn't say anything" said Maya, confused
"It was me" Kate spun around and standing in the corner stood Tony

"I must be dreaming" She muttered to herself.
"More like hallucinating. You got hit pretty hard Kate. Nothing that a night with me couldn't fix"
"Shut up DiNozzo!"
"Hey. You wanted me to say it. Anyway, back to my point." She must be hallucinating. Never once had she heard Tony say ‘back to the point'
"Kate, over here." He said bringing her back to him. "I'm going to do everything I can to get you back. I will figure it out and kill the bastard who took you. Love you." And then he disappeared
"Whoa" She muttered "Hinky"
Chapter 5 by no1bean
Chapter 5

"I'm here boss" Tony yelled as he ran into the bull pen
"'bout time DiNozzo!" Gibbs yelled
"Any word on Kate, Gibbs?"
"No"
"Tony!" Abby yelled as she got off the elevator. He ran and gave him a huge hug. "It's gonna be ok. We're gonna find her."
"I know Abs. She can't go now. I still have to take her to dinner tomorrow night."
"You finally asked her out?"
"No she thinks it's just to make up for the fights. Anyway she has a boyfriend."
"What! That's the kind of thing she usually tells me."
"On the boyfriend topic, I think..."
"You think what DiNozzo!" Gibbs cut him off. "What does this have to do with finding Kate?"
"I was just about to get to that. I think it's her boyfriend that's kidnapped her!"
"Why DiNozzo?"
"Earlier, Kate told be her boyfriend's name was John. And on the Phone I asked what I was to call him and then he said John!"
"At least Ari isn't alive to kidnap her again. He would know exactly how to get us."
"Thank God that Mossad chick got him before she went back to Israel."
"Her kidnapping not have anything to do with the case," said Abby "But I think Michaels' brother is called John. I'll go check."
"Boss, should I try calling again?"
"Maybe you could try. McGee, trace it."

"You just don't give up Mr. DiNozzo, do you?"
"Where's Kate?"
"None of your business Anthony!"
"I want to talk to her!"
"Fine. I'll let you talk to your girlfriend. But no lovey dovey stuff. I liked my lunch but I don't want to see it again."
"Hello?"
"Kate are you ok?"
"Yes. I've got a bit of a headache. But that's it." She didn't want Tony to know she was hurt.
"I want you to know that I will get you back"
"You better DiNozzo. We have dinner plans for tomorrow night. Bolton's Time Bar, 1900"
"I'll be there" Tony said, a bit confused.
"Ouch!" He heard Kate say.
"Kate are you ok?" Tony said in a concerned voice. "Kate, what happened?"
"Nothing DiNozzo. This jackass just hit me. Ouch! Cut it out!"
"Mr. DiNozzo" it was John again. "I would appreciate it if you did not call again."
"Watch it Johnny boy. You touch Kate again and I'll kill you and your brother."
"Oh Anthony, you did your homework. If you don't deliver the 1 million dollars and clear my brother of dear Commander Schofield's death you will never see your precious Caitlin again. Goodbye." Then he hung up.
"Did you get him McGee?" Tony asked impatiently
"Nearly"
"‘Nearly' isn't good enough Probie, ‘nearly' doesn't get us Kate's exact location" Tony yelled, very agitated.
"She's defiantly in Baltimore Boss" he said, now talking to Gibbs. "I narrowed it down to the Bolton Street area.
"Bolton Street area?" Tony said quietly to himself. "Damn it, that's what she meant!"
"That's what who meant" Probie asked, confused.
"Kate. She said Bolton's Time Bar, 1900. We didn't set a place where we were going to meet. She was trying to tell us where she was! 1900 Bolton Street! She's a bloody genius!" That's when Abby burst back into the bullpen.
"Jason Michaels has a brother called John!"
"Yeah we know Abs" Gibbs said
"What! How can you know?"
"We asked him. Tony also figured out where Kate was"
"I couldn't of done it without Kate" Tony said shyly
"How the hell do you know!" Now she was the one that was agitated "Well done Tony" she added at the end. "Well why the Hell are you all still here! Go get Kate!"
"We were on our way out when you burst in Abs!"
"Don't blame me McGee! Get your asses moving!"
"Yes ma'am!" Tony said as he climbed in the elevator.
Chapter 6 by no1bean
Chapter 6

"Kate. Wake up"
"What is it Maya" Kate said groggily
"I think someone is here"
When Kate listened closely she could here people shouting. Kate thanked God she hadn't gotten up to the door to listen closely because write at that moment it flew open.
"Get up" It was John and he looked pissed, and worried. "Get up" He repeated, aiming his gun right between her eyes.
"I'm getting up! Jesus, calm down" He lead her down a passage which she thought was familiar. She was quickly lead back into the warehouse. What she saw there shocked her. Jason was standing about 20 feet away from Gibbs. Both had there weapons out and trained on each other.
"Special Agent Gibbs. What a nice surprise" Jason said
"Not as nice as mine" At that moment, McGee walked out of the shadows. He joined Gibbs and trained his weapon on Jason. "Your out numbered Michaels" Kate heard a shot being fired behind her. She felt John fall to the ground and now behind her was Tony. She had no time to greet him because when Tony fired, Jason also fired. His round went straight through…

McGee. "Probie" Yelled Tony when he saw him fall. Gibbs was too busy helping McGee to stop Michaels from running out the back door, the one that Tony had entered through.
"DiNozzo. Call an ambulance!"
"It's on it's was Boss"
"Hold on McGee"

Gibbs was busy putting McGee in the ambulance so Tony went over to see Kate "How ya doing?"
"I'm ok. My head hurts a bit but that's all." Kate watched the paramedic check over Maya to see if she was alright.
"You've got a big bump Kate. That's bound to hurt."
"Just a little bit DiNozzo. Thank you for finding me. I owe you one"
"It was nothing" he said shyly. "I couldn't have done it without your help. You can make it up to me tomorrow night at dinner. We are still on for dinner aren't we?"
"Yeah of course." She said ‘do you think I would cancel what I want to be a date with you?' was what she thought. "Tony, could you maybe drive me home? I don't think I can drive in this state.
"Yeah. Of course I'll drive you home. What are friends for?"
Chapter 7 by no1bean
Chapter 7

On the way to Kate's apartment they talked about what had happened. Kate intentionally left out the part where John said that she was in love with Tony. "Kate, you realize that you never told me where your apartment is?"
"I'll tell you when we get there"

15 minutes later Kate suddenly said, "We're here. Um, you wanna come up? I mean so that we could plan where to meet tomorrow night" she added hastily. What was she thinking? She had just asked Tony up to her apartment.

"Sure." He replied. Kate had just asked him up to her apartment. When she smiled at his answer he thanked God he was still sitting down, his legs had gone to jelly.

When he smiled after his answer she felt shivers go down her spine. He got out the car and walked to the elevator. "So, what floor do ya stay on?"
"3rd" came her reply
"Great" he added. Had things gotten weird or was it just him?
"Number 108" he said when they got to her door, just to break the silence.
"Yup. So we've decided? Rasmussen's at 8?"
"Yeah. Well I better get going. It's half two"
"Jesus already? You know we both have to work tomorrow, why don't you, um, just crash here?"
"I have nothing to sleep in"
"I can get something out of my ex's old clothes"
"Great, I'll take the couch." He couldn't believe it! Here was finally going to be sleeping under the same roof as Kate. The times that they had had to stay at HQ didn't count.
"Here you go Tony." She was holding a white t-shirt. When he went to take it from her he accidentally touched her hand. She didn't pull away like he had expected her to. Instead she just lifted her head up slowly and stared into his eyes. He saw her and gazed back into her beautiful, dark eyes. They both moved forward at the same time and the shirt fell to the floor.
‘Oh my God, this is actually happening!' thought Kate. ‘Tony's a really great kisser' as she put her arms around his neck and ran her fingers through his hair. After several minutes they both pulled apart gasping for air. "Tony, I'm sorry I just…."
"Don't be" He said cutting her off and pulling her into another passionate kiss. He lifted her up and she wrapped her legs around his waist and he started to head towards the bedroom…
Chapter 8 by no1bean
Chapter 8

"Good morning" was all she heard in her ear. The previous night had been amazing, not at all what she expected it to be. Tony was lying behind her and tracing figure eights on her bare arm. "Kate," she heard him whisper
"Yeah?"
"I love you"
"I love you to Tony"
"Really?"
"Of course" Kate thought that right there, in that moment there was no one who was happier than her and Tony lying there in her bed. Ring ring. Ring ring.
"DiNozzo"
"Tony!" ‘Gibbs' Tony mouthed to Kate. She got up and went to get dressed.
"What is it Boss? Is McGee ok?"
"He's fine. We got a lead on where Michaels is gonna be. Ducky found a note on his brother."
"Where is it?"
"The parking garage at the Baltimore mall. Get Kate and meet me there"
"Ok Boss I'll tell…" But Gibbs had already hung up.

Ring ring. Ring ring.
"Special Agent Todd"
"Hey Kate"
"Abby?"
"Yeah."
"What's wrong Abs you sound like you've been crying, but you never cry?"
"I know. I woke up crying. Look I had a dream about Tony. Something bad is going to happen to him Kate I know it!"
"It was just a bad dream Abby. Speaking of DiNozzo, I finally told him"
"That you love him?"
"Yeah. Actually, he said it first"
"I told ya Kate. What happened after that? Did you sleep with him?"
"No. I slept with him before I told him"
"And?"
"It was amazing. Twice as good as I thought it was going to be. Gotta go Abs, Tony's here."
"Who was that Kate" he said giving her a kiss
"Abby. Did you tell Gibbs that we broke Rule 12?"
"No. did you want him jumping through the phone? Did you tell Abs?"
"Of course."
"What'd she say"
"Nothing much. We were talking about you so when you came in I hung up."

They got ready for work and set off to the parking garage. "There's Gibbs" Tony said when he saw him. They got out and joined their boss. "Is he here yet?"
"No. I spoke to soon. Here he comes" they stood behind a van and waited for him to get out of the pick-up. He had 2 goons in another. The came out from behind the van at different sides. Tony and Kate to the left and Gibbs to the right. "NCIS, freeze!"
Bang! They all hit the deck. Only one did not get up again. Special Agent Anthony DiNozzo. Gibbs and Kate hid behind the parked van and returned fire at the kidnapper and his 2 goons that were shooting at them. Kate did not realize Tony was dead, she just thought he was wounded. They got the two goons but the Michaels pulled away in a black pick-up. "Tony!" he heard Kate yell. She knelt in close to him and whispered in his ear, "I love you" so only he could hear. That was the last thing Tony DiNozzo ever heard. It was the three, sweet words he had always wanted to here from her beautiful lips, in her beautiful voice.

At least he could rest in peace knowing the woman he loved was still alive and well.

The End
This story archived at http://www.ncisfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=6004