What You See Is What You Get by mrsdinozzo
Summary: Gibbs isn't talking to Tony - and Tony's wonderting if he is the problem
Categories: Gibbs/DiNozzo Characters: None
Genre: Angst, Established relationship
Pairing: Gibbs/DiNozzo
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 2369 Read: 6492 Published: 01/28/2007 Updated: 01/28/2007
Story Notes:
The boys are not mine - sadly - oh the fun we could have! LOL..I don't own them and promise to give them back at some point, but right now they are being so helpful with looking after my plot bunnies

1. What You See Is What You Get by mrsdinozzo

What You See Is What You Get by mrsdinozzo
Author's Notes:
Gibbs isn't talking to Tony - and Tony's wonderting if he is the problem
Tony sighed heavily as the elevator doors closed and leaned back against the wall with another, even heavier sigh. This was his third trip down to the morgue in the last two hours and he was hoping that Ducky might have finally finished up his lastest autopsy and it was with relief as he stepped out of the elevator he could see Palmer washing down the table as Ducky divested himself of his greens into a large bin nearby.

“Anthony, dear boy.” He said with a smile as the door swung to behind the younger man. “I take it this isn’t just a passing visit?”

“Why d’you say that?” Tony asked innocently, shoving his hands into the pockets of his jeans and shrugging.

“Your face when you walked in – something’s troubling you.” Ducky replied, patting him on the arm. “Now, I can spare you a few moments before my next autopsy if you wish to talk about it?”

Tony shrugged again, his eyes narrowing as Palmer looked up at him, smiling cheerfully before exiting the room. “Is he coming back?”

“Mm?” Ducky turned to see Palmer’s back before the door swung to. “Ah, no – he has a dental appointment at noon, we’re quite safe from prying ears here.”

“Until Gibbs walks in,” Tony walked to the nearest table and leaned against it, arms folded across his chest and eyes to the floor.

“My office then?” Ducky gestured with a hand.

“No – here’s fine Duck – thanks.”

“You mentioned Gibbs,” the older man prompted. “Am I correct in that I sense all is not well?”

“It’s okay – sort of.” Tony lifted his gaze to Ducky, the other man somewhat taken aback to see a sadness in those green eyes.

“Anthony – just to be clear here – we are not talking about work are we?”

“No – we’re not. I don’t know – he’s just – he’s like he’s – I – damn! I had it all planned out what I was going to say to you and now I can’t even make sense!” Tony thudded a fist onto the steel table and swore under his breath. “Thanks Duck – but forget it – I’ll work it out myself. “ He made to push past the ME but was surprised to find he was held back with a strong hand on his arm. He looked down at the hand and then at Ducky. He relaxed immediately and resumed his place. “Sorry – “

“Don’t be, dear boy – now start again and take it slowly.”

“These past few days,” Tony began. “It’s like everything is an effort for him – take this morning for instance. We wake up, he doesn’t say a damn word to me so I figure – okay, he’s feeling off – so I decide to do breakfast – you know, the works – ham and eggs and all that. He walks into the kitchen, looks at his plate, looks at me, pours himself a coffee and walks away – not a damn word – nothing!”

“I see.” Ducky frowned

“So, I then decide to confront him – in a nice way you understand – so I ask him what’s wrong and he just carries on shaving like I’m not standing right behind him and watching him in the mirror. He finishes shaving, pushes me to one side, grabs a towel and – again – walks away!”

“Ah – this is not good.” The frown deepened

“Oh, I’m not finished yet – the journey to work was hell. He parks up, locks up and he’s in the elevator with me in his wake – and he lets the doors shut on me!”

“Oh dear.” Ducky looked forlorn.

“And then –we arrive at the bullpen – or should I say I arrive a good ten minutes after him and he demands to know why I’m late – of course – Rule 12 and all that so I just apologise and get to my desk only to find he’s given me every cold case going back the last 6 months and I am then informed that I don’t go home till I have leads on at least three of them!”

“Ouch.”

“So help me!” Tony nearly shouted. “He’s driving me nuts!”

“Understandably so, my boy.” Ducky went silent for a moment or two and then nodded as if coming to a decision. “Leave it with me, Tony.” He held up a hand as Tony’s mouth opened. “And no, I will not tell him we have had this conversation – I know Jethro too well and I will get to the bottom of this, I assure you.”

“You promise not to tell?” Tony pleaded.

“Count on it, you can count on it.”

It was at that moment Gibbs stalked into the room, pulling up quickly and fixing Tony with that glare, as Tony’s stomach rolled. “I thought you had work to do DiNozzo – so why in hell are you down here bothering my ME?”

“Sorry Boss – I’ll – yeah – I’m gone!” Tony hurried past Gibbs and exited towards the elevator.

“I want an update on my desk in an hour, DiNozzo!” Gibbs shouted at Tony’s departing back.

“Jethro?”

“Ducky?” Gibbs replied quietly

“What are you up to?” Ducky asked, matching the stare and staying his ground.

“Why should I be up to anything?” Gibbs looked at him with a wry half smile.

“Because I know you.” Ducky said pointedly.

“Do you?” Gibbs said, daring him to answer.

“I do – and no doubt you know why Tony was down here – apparently you haven’t been yourself these past few days – and he’s very worried.”

“Duck – “ Gibbs sighed. “I’m doing what I’m doing just to show him – “

“The second ‘b’ stands for bastard?”

“Yeah – you do know me,” Gibbs chuckled, shaking his head. “Look – the reason I’m doing this to Tony right now is to show him just what he’s taking on – having me in his life – I don’t want things getting just right and settled – he needs to see the other me – the bastard who rides his back till he gets the job done.”

“He’s been here long enough to see all of that surely?” Ducky shrugged. “Why now?”

“Why not?” Gibbs shot back. “Besides – I’ll be putting him out of his misery in a few hours – just going to let him stew a while – then wham – he is going to have the best evening he’s had in a long time.”

“Okay – enough information thank you, Jethro.” Ducky pulled a face.

“No, Duck – you don’t understand – tickets for the ball game, dinner – and then – “ Gibbs raised a hand, smiling broadly as Ducky shook his head. “Well – whatever – I’ll be more than making it up to him, believe me.”

“You are a very cruel man, but then – I’ve told you that enough times.”

“You have, Ducky.”

“Just promise me one thing, Jethro?”

“Name it.”

“Don’t leave it a few hours – tell him now – he’s had at least 4 hours of hell already and that’s quite enough for any man – oh – and an apology would be in order too.”

******

“DiNozzo! Conference Room – now!” Gibbs barked as he passed the bullpen.

“For crying out loud.” Tony breathed. “Am I in for an ass kicking?”

His stomach was churning as he opened the door to the Conference Room, peering around it to see Gibbs sitting at one end of the long table. He took a deep breath and stepped inside, closing the door behind him.

“Sit.”

He sat – and waited, not daring to look at Gibbs who was staring at the far wall.

“DiNozzo,” he began.

Here it comes, Tony thought to himself. He’s going to fire me – I know that tone of voice – this is why he’s been such a bastard recently – he’s been coming to a decision – and he’s made it – I’m outta here! Rising slowly to his feet, Tony turned and walked towards the door again.

“Where’d you think you’re going?” Gibbs asked softly.

“Where’d you think? Clear my desk and leave – you’re about to fire me so I’ll save you the trouble – I just resigned.” Tony turned to him, eyes fearful but his jaw set.

“I won’t accept your resignation,” Gibbs answered equally softly. “And for the record, I’m not firing you – I’ve no reason to fire you.”

“So what in hell has been going on?” Tony spat. “You have been a real shit these past few days – I don’t know what in hell is going on in that head of yours – you’ve treated me like I’m some new college schmuck in his first job – you’ve had me wondering what in hell I’ve done to deserve the crap you’ve thrown at me!” Tony straightened up, glowering at the man at the table.

“Tony, listen to me,” Gibbs rose to his feet, rounding the table and stepping closer to his lover. “I’m sorry – I did what I did – I needed you to see that – as Ducky put it – the second ‘b’ stands for bastard.”

Tony’s jaw went slack.

“It’s just – you and me – this relationship is getting better and better. I want you in my life, Tony – I want this – I want you but you need to know that there is another side to me – hell, three ex wives would agree with me. I am – and can be – very nasty. It’s ingrained in me – it’s a part of me – and – “

“So – all that crap – those files – this morning – they were all to show me – “ Gibbs lifted a finger to Tony’s lips, shushing him.

“What you see is what you get,” Gibbs whispered. “Call this your get out clause – if you want to call it a day – then so be it.”

“You want me to call it a day?” Tony answered, his voice low.

“I want you – but I want you to have a choice – all of me or nothing.”

”Nothing? Gibbs – for fucks sake – how in hell could I walk out on you? I love you more than life itself, I want you – I want all of you. Why did you think you had to show me your other side – everyone knows about the other side – everyone out there knows what you are like,” Tony pointed to the door. “They all know you – but I know you here,” he tapped the side of Gibbs’ head. “And, more importantly – I know what’s in here,” he rested a hand over Gibbs’s heart. “And that is more than anyone else – and I am ready to take on Jethro Gibbs – with all his baggage intact. We are too good together, Jethro – it’s fate.” Tony stepped back, smiling gently. “Now I’m offering you a choice – we forget about what’s happened recently, go back to how things were – which was perfect, by the way – or you decide you can’t handle me and you walk away.”

“Me?” Gibbs chuckled. “You think I would walk out on the best thing that’s ever happened to me? Like hell!” They embraced quickly, mindful of where they were and walked to the door. “Besides, who’d be going with me to the ballgame tonight?” He reached into a pocket, holding the tickets up for Tony to see.

“I knew there was a reason I liked you,” he grinned. “How in hell did you get those? They’re like gold dust.”

“I have connections,” Gibbs smiled back. “Good connections.”

Gibbs held the door open as Tony stepped through. “By the way,” Tony said, keeping his voice low. “Who says I don’t like the bastard in you?”

“Any man who goes running to Ducky and whining about it.”

“The way I figured – you and he are old friends and if anyone knew what was going on – he would.” Tony answered, flashing a smile.

“Ah, so if I told you he had no idea till I told him?”

“But you knew I was with him – why else would you have walked in when you did? You had it all planned.” Tony took the steps down to the bullpen two at a time.

“DiNozzo!” Gibbs called.

“Yo!”

“Your workstation is a disgrace!”

Tony looked down and sighed, letting his chin fall to his chest. Gibbs was right, balled up pieces of paper lay in and around the trash bin, files piled all over the place and an upturned mug lay in a pool of cold coffee on the floor at the front of the desk.

Gibbs rounded the corner, slapping Tony upside the head as he passed.

“What was that for?” Tony said as he rubbed his head.

“No reason,” Gibbs grinned broadly. “Get busy?” He pointed to the mess across the room. “Or you’re buying us all lunch!”

*****

The End…
End Notes:
The boys are not mine - sadly - oh the fun we could have! LOL..I don't own them and promise to give them back at some point, but right now they are being so helpful with looking after my plot bunnies
This story archived at http://www.ncisfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=6231