Searching by agubbels
Summary: A follow-up to "Skeletons of His Own," Hollis goes looking for answers.
Categories: Other Het Pairings Characters: Donald Mallard, Other
Genre: Drama
Pairing: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 629 Read: 1756 Published: 04/28/2007 Updated: 04/28/2007
Story Notes:
The story is mine, but the characters are borrowed, so I am not making any money from this.
Thanks to dmc4me for being a world-class beta.

1. Searching by agubbels

Searching by agubbels
Author's Notes:
A follow-up to "Skeletons of His Own," Hollis goes looking for answers.
Lt. Col. Hollis Mann sighed after the elevator doors slid closed. It was a sigh of frustration – and resignation. She knew that Leroy Jethro Gibbs was a man of action rather than words, but still, she had been hoping for…something.

The elevator signaled its arrival on the main floor, and the doors opened. Rather than heading for the exit, she hesitated, then pushed the button for the basement.

As she entered the foyer outside the morgue, she noted with satisfaction that her hunch was correct. The lights were still on, and Dr. "Ducky" Mallard was seated at his desk, writing out a report in longhand, rather than using the computer.

"Is everyone here at NCIS a night owl?" she asked, as she stepped through the automatic doors.

Ducky stood up, clearly startled by the interruption.

"Colonel Mann! To what do I owe the pleasure?"

"Now, Doctor, if you expect me to call you ‘Ducky,' you're going to have to call me Hollis." She paused, and then added, "I was wondering if I might be able to ask you a couple of questions…"

"Of course," he answered. "Is there something in the autopsy report that isn't clear?"

"Um, no," she said awkwardly. "I was hoping you might be able to help me with something -- personal."

As she spoke, he grabbed a second chair and set it down facing his own. He waited until Hollis was seated before returning to his own chair.

"Well…I'm not sure how much assistance I can offer…." His voice trailed off. He was used to Gibbs and "The Children" bending his ear, but he hardly knew this woman.

She brushed her hair behind her ear. "You've known Gibbs a long time, haven't you?"

"I've worked with him for more than ten years," he replied. Of course. He should have known.

"And he considers you a friend, right?" Of all the people he works with, you're the only one he would ever confide in?" Her tone was questioning, but the medical examiner realized that she was merely expecting confirmation of what she already knew. The colonel, it seemed, was almost as observant as his friend, and Ducky was uncomfortable with the direction the conversation was taking.
"If he confides in me," he replied tersely, "it is because he knows I would never betray his trust."

"Of course," she said. "And I would never ask you to, but I'm concerned about something. The Director said she almost lost him a few months ago. What did she mean?"

Something in her tone told Ducky that she was genuinely concerned for his friend.

"Jethro was gravely injured in the line of duty. He was in a coma for several days, and suffered temporary memory loss. In some ways, he is still not the same man he was before the explosion," he added.

"Was Kelly involved?"

Ducky raised his eyebrow. "Kelly?" How does she know about Kelly? he thought. What does she know about Kelly?

"I saw him painting the name on his boat, but when I asked him who she was, he wouldn't tell me."

"Look, Hollis," Ducky began. "Jethro is my best friend, but there are things he just doesn't talk about, even to me."

Hollis was looking into Ducky's eyes as he said this. She could tell he felt his friend's pain whether Jethro talked about it or not. She decided not to push the issue, and stood up.

"I'm sorry, Ducky. I shouldn't have put you on the spot like that."

Ducky stood as well. "No need to apologize. Your care about him, don't you?"

"If he'll let me."

"Don't give up, my dear." Ducky's tone was genuine.

"Thank you, Ducky. Have a pleasant evening."

"And the same to you, Hollis."

With that, she left autopsy and pushed the call button for the elevator.
End Notes:
The story is mine, but the characters are borrowed, so I am not making any money from this.
Thanks to dmc4me for being a world-class beta.
This story archived at http://www.ncisfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=6376