- Text Size +
Story Notes:
This story is co-written by Tony (albertbester). :D
Carly was sipping on decaffeinated hot tea with lemon out of her coffee cup. Other than Tony and Abby, no one knew she was pregnant and the lack of a coffee cup would clue these special agents in right away that something was off. She had been back at work for a few days and Abby was still full of questions on her new ability. Not many people knew about that either. Carly sighed. It wouldn't be so bad if she didn't have to work so hard to block people's thoughts when she touched them. Between that, work and being pregnant, she nearly fell asleep by the time she walked through the door at Abby's old apartment.



Jimmy walked in holding some evidence bags. He took one look at Carly's face and just placed them on the table. "There's no rush on these." He told her. "They are from a cold case Ducky would like to look at again, see if we get a match this time."



Carly smiled and thanked him. As he walked out she was thinking Michelle was lucky to have a sweet guy like Jimmy.



Abby came in not long after she started running tests on the substances. One had already come back as not matching anything.



"So, how are you today?" Abby asked quietly.



Shaking her head to clear it, Carly told her, "I'm fine, really. The only thing that makes me sick is the smell of coffee." She admitted and stuck her tongue out at her friend.



Abby laughed, "Well that's fitting. The one thing you have to have and it makes you sick." She stopped laughing and looked at her Caf-Pow.



Carly noticed and said, "Yep, think about that. Not being able to drink a Caf-Pow without tossing your cookies. Funny now?"



"Not so much." Abby replied, grabbing her drink and taking a big gulp. Setting the cup aside, she asked, "Are you getting any better at blocking people’s thoughts?"



Worrying her bottom lip with her teeth, she shook her head. "No. And on top of having to deal with me being clairvoyant, how is Jet going to react to me being about to touch people and tell what they are thinking?"



Abby frowned a bit at Carly's doubts. "I'm not sure. Why don't you talk to him? He seems to be in a better mood since you returned to work. He might be more receptive..."



"Abby, a broken radio is more receptive than Jethro is."



Carly turned back to her computer, saddened by the thought that she may lose the man she loves forever.



-------



Gibbs was at his desk when a call came in. He listened for a moment, hung up and said, "Grab your gear. We found one of the missing terrorists."



The team grabbed their weapons and other items and followed him to the elevator. The entire ride to the scene, Gibbs was thinking about Carly. She moved out without even asking if that was what he wanted. Did that mean this was what she wanted?



-------



"So, you realize I'm a bit jealous of you now, right?" Abby asked while they waited on word of the new case.



"Why?" Carly asked her, throwing away her empty coffee cup.



"You're a human lie-detector. How cool is that?" Abby grinned as she played around on her computer, tweeking things.



"Not very for the most part. I mean, I can't block it so I can barely touch someone or I get blasted with whatever's on their minds."



Abby's eyebrows rose up and down and she asked, "What was on Tony's mind when he brought your tea in?"



Placing her tongue between her teeth for a moment, Carly stared at Abby. "I can't believe you guys had sex in this lab!"



Abby's eyes widened. "What? How did you know?"



Carly frowned and reminded her, "I'm the human lie detector remember? And now I have his thoughts of what else he would like to do to you in this lab stuck in my mind!" The frown gave way to a slight smile and a light came into her eyes as she said, "But he is quite inventive!"



Abby threw Bert at her and Carly caught him without squeezing enough to make a sound. She put him on the table next to her and patted his head while sticking her tongue out at Abby.
Chapter End Notes:
This story is co-written by Tony (albertbester). :D