- Text Size +
"Special Agent Gibbs, NCIS. This is Special Agent Fornell with the FBI." Gibbs announced as they met with the Federal Air Traffic Control & Communications rep.


"James Wilson, FATCC. We've got the terminals locked down and all incoming flights are being diverted to other airports in the area. I have airport security checking ID's on all the people in the terminals, but it's a big job. If your people have any clue how many devices have been planted and approximate locations, we can route the men from the bomb squad to defuse them."


"There's another problem." Gibbs told Wilson. "We believe they intended to take out the ATC tower as well."


Wilson looked surprised. "The tower itself? No one gets in the tower without clearance. Everyone has an ID card that is read electronically when they get 10 feet from the building. Without that card and their 16 digit code, the doors stay locked."


"No one has reported a card missing? Their code not working?" McGee asked.


Wilson shook his head. "I've checked all that. All staff cards are accounted for and no one has reported their code not working. The tower employees have a different code on their cards than at other places in the airport."


"So that means employees from other areas don't have access to the tower?" Tony asked.


"Exactly." Wilson confirmed.


Gibbs had been speaking with Carly off to the side, trying to get her to leave the terminal but knowing she would stay until she couldn't anymore. She told him what she knew of the locations and he turned to Wilson.


"You've got the bomb squad searching already, correct?" Gibbs asked him.


"Yes, they have the dogs out and are checking this terminal and the two others that are filled with people."


"What about the two you have on high alert because of the foreign dignitaries coming in?" Carly asked.


Wilson looked at her. "How did you know about that?"


"It's been publicized about their meeting with the President. With that and this airport being attacked, it's only reasonable to think they are flying in here."


"No one could have gotten into those terminals." Wilson said.


"Redirect the bomb squad there anyway. It's not always the biggest, soft target these guys go after." Gibbs told him. "Now, I suggest you have someone check the Tower as well. If we're right and someone did manage to get in, your airport is down for more than just a day and you'll get to explain to the families why you didn't clear that area."


Wilson's jaw clenched and then he got on the radio. "All personnel, switch to the secure channel now." When they looked at him, he said, "If you think these people have infiltrated our employees then I can guarantee you they aren't security and won't know what channel to switch to." Back into the radio, Wilson said, "I need two bomb squad teams with dogs to go to terminals 4 & 7. Right now! We think the attack was aimed at the foreign nationals coming in. Also, redirect one unit to the ATC Tower, repeat, one unit to the Air Traffic Control Tower. If they've breached security, they could have planted devices there. Radio in if you find anything."


Gibbs nodded and looked at the team leaders for their bomb squads. "Get to terminals 4 & 7. Start opposite airport staff and work your way in. Radio when you find something. Be aware, the terrorists could be anywhere. Wilson, make sure security keeps everyone where they are. We can't chance these people getting out yet. We're going to be at terminal..." he stared at Wilson until he was told terminal 3 had the heaviest population, "terminal 3. Fornell, you take your team to the other terminal Wilson was searching. Radio anything you find in. I don't have to tell you people that terrorists don't care how many lives are lost, even their own. Extreme caution is needed. Let's go."


He took Carly's hand and she heard his thoughts. You need to get out of here. She looked at him. "I'm safe with you Jet. I know that much for certain. Today, I'm safe right by your side."


-------


The man looked around. Seeing all the planes approach and then be diverted he knew his plan had failed. Taking his janitor uniform and setting it on fire before tossing it in a tall trash bin, he headed for his exit. He would live to plan another attack against these leaders of the so-called free world.


-------


With Carly's help, Gibbs, DiNozzo, McGee and Ziva found two terrorists in the crowd in terminal 3. Gibbs looked around the crowd of faces once more. Noticing someone staring at him with disgust instead of fear or uncertainty. Silently alerting Ziva, he approached the man. Just as he stepped up to him, the man pulled a knife and tried to stab him in the chest. Gibbs grabbed the man's wrist, pushing it up with one hand, turned and brought his elbow back into the man's nose. As blood started pouring from his now broken nose, the man fell wordlessly to the ground.


"For a minute there, I thought you might need some help." Ziva told him.


Carly reached Gibbs side and stared down at the man on the floor. "Good work Gibbs." She said and smiled at Jet.


"Thanks." Gibbs said and radioed Fornell to learn they had captured four suspected terrorists in terminal 1.


The bomb squads had found and disabled a total of 4 bombs in each of the two terminals. They were still searching the tower and had located one at the entrance, one in the power room, and one in the stairwell. The radio squawked and then the leader of the squad in the tower came over the air. "Another device located in the elevator shaft. It's been disabled. We've searched top to bottom, the rest of the place is clean."


Breathing sighs of release the agents met with Wilson one last time. "We're going to need the video of those terminals and the tower from the past week. I want to know when they came in, how often they were here and who planted what bomb where."


Wilson nodded. "I'll have them sent to you immediately."


Turning without responding, he led them out of the airport. Back at the office, Tony had the volume up on the TV.


"This is Isabelle Weathers, reporting live from Washington-Dulles International airport where earlier this evening a terrorist attempt to bomb several terminals was stopped by a joint effort of several federal agencies helping airport security. Reports indicate that seven terrorists were captured during this attempt and they are being detained for questioning by the federal agencies. Speculation is rampant that the suicide bomber from earlier today was but a decoy to keep federal officials from the airport until it was too late. These rumors are unconfirmed at this time. More on this story, tonight at eleven."


"More?" Tony asked. "What more? That's all the press is going to get right now. And did you notice? They didn't even mention FBI this time. We're all just federal officials now."


Smiling and walking quietly, Carly and Jethro made it to the elevator and inside before anyone noticed they were leaving.


"Abby and Tony know about the baby?" Jet asked.


Carly looked at him with regret and nodded. "I'm sorry Jet, it's just…"


"You needed someone and I wasn't there, Carly. I understand." He kissed her forehead and they stepped out of the elevator into the parking area. Walking to the car, he asked, "When do you want to tell the others?"


Carly smiled. "I was wondering if you wanted to tell them now."


Opening her door, he waited until they were both inside with the car running before answering. "I think the sooner we do it the better. At least as far as the rest of the team, Ducky and Jenny are concerned."


"Well then, do you want to tell them after the appointment on Tuesday? Once we get a more official due date. What do you think?"


He smiled at her. "Good idea. We'll tell them together."