- Text Size +
Carly was lying on the bed in the exam room. The doctor was using the fetal doppler to find the heartbeat. Once the sound changed from the swooshing sound of the fluid in the womb to the quick 'bump, bump, bump', Carly looked at Jet and smiled. He squeezed her hand and smiled back but she could hear him. He was worried.



"Well, we've got a good strong heartbeat here." Dr. Jones said with a smile. "You are doing fine, Carly." She put the doppler up and let Carly straighten her top. Opening the chart, Dr. Jones read some reports and looked at them both. "We've done some blood work on you since you told me you were injected with a sedative several weeks ago. So far, everything looks fine. Your blood work came back normal. We can do an amnio later in the pregnancy if we have any concerns from the ultrasounds. And speaking of ultrasounds, we're going to schedule one for you in the next month to get a look at the little one and make sure everything is going fine, ok?"



Carly and Jet both nodded. "Do you know the due date?" Carly asked.



Dr. Jones read back over the chart. "Well from what you've told me about your history we're looking at a late October, early November baby. Now, just take this up front and they'll schedule your ultrasound and your next office visit ok?"



"Thank you Doctor." Jet said and took the paper as Carly got off the exam bed and picked up her purse.



-------



"So, what did you think of the doctor?" Carly asked Jet as they pulled out of the parking lot.



"She's competent," he answered.



Carly grinned. "Yes she is." Laughing, she reached out for his hand. Once she touched him the smile slipped from her face. "Jet?"



"Yes Carly?"



"I know you are happy about the baby. And I know you're also anxious and a little upset as well. You have every right to be with what you've gone through. No one can promise you that things are always going to be ok and that nothing will ever happen to hurt us. But I know from watching my Nana and from watching my parents, that if you love each other and are open with each other, you can face almost anything."



Jethro moved his hand away from hers and stopped at the red light. The look of devastation on his face was as fresh as if he had lost Kelly that day. He blinked and the light turned green. As he drove towards the office, he was quiet for a few moments. "I can't begin to explain what it's like to lose a child. I can tell you it's the worst hurt you can ever feel and still live through. Some days I didn't want to live through. I wanted to end it all but every time there was something there that wouldn't let me pull the trigger. Ducky would say it's the part of me that knew I had to go on. Abby would say it was other forces keeping me from doing something stupid. You want to know what I think?"



He looked at her through the next light and Carly nodded. "Please."



"I think it was them holding me back. Not letting me pull that trigger. If not in spirit at least the thought of them. I couldn't end it without tarnishing them, you know?" He took her hand and Carly started crying. "I know why now. And I've never been happier that I couldn't do it than I am now."



Carly waited until he stopped the car in the parking lot. She leaned over and pressed her lips to his; kissing him hard and deep, so moved by his confession and his feelings she couldn't hold back. It wasn't until DiNozzo knocked on the window that they pulled apart.



Tony leered at them until Abby smacked the back of his head. "Don't be rude Tony."



He smiled at Abby. "We could return the favor and give them a show?"



Abby shook her head but grinned. "Not now. We're all going to Sal's. Want to come with?"



Carly looked at Jet and he nodded. "Sure. We just have to get something first and we'll meet you there ok?"



"Ok. Just don't be too long or Tony will order without you."



They laughed as Tony pulled Abby towards the car to hurry to the food. He took Carly's hand. "You ready to tell the Director?"



Carly took a deep breath. "I'm ready if you are."



-------



"Well, who's this beautiful woman?" Sal asked as Jen walked in the restaurant with Carly and Jethro.



Jen smiled at the man's unabashed charm. "Jen Shepard."



Sal's eyebrows rose. "The Director I've heard so much about? It's a pleasure to meet you." He took her hand and brushed a kiss across her knuckles.



Lacey chuckled from behind her dad. "Don't mind Pop. I have to say though that he has marvelous taste."



Blushing now, Jen allowed Lacey and Sal to lead her to the table. Carly leaned towards Sal. "Can you stay for a few minutes?"



Sal looked at her face and smiled at the happiness in her eyes. "Of course, Bella. I can stay."



As Sal seated Jen, Jet seated Carly then stayed standing. After a moment, all eyes turned to him. Clearing his throat he looked around then said, "Carly and I have some news."



"You're getting back together?" Michelle guessed.



With a quick smile, he nodded. "Well that too. The other news is..."



Carly stood, "We're going to have a baby."



After the shock died down and the questions were answered, Sal slapped Jethro on the back. Grinning he told them all, "Since this is a happy occasion, tonight's meal is on the house. Order whatever you like and I'll bring it out to you."



-------



Unlocking the door to the house, Jethro pulled Carly into his arms and kissed her. "I think they took it well."



She smiled. "I think so too."



Jet walked over to the coffee table and picked up a remote. Pressing a button, music filled the room as he turned to pull her back to him. Kissing her softly, he lifted her into his arms and carried her up the stairs. As the music drifted up to them, he slowly, sweetly made love to her. Overwhelmed from both her feelings and his thoughts about her, Carly succumbed to her pleasure quicker than she had before. He smiled as he joined her. They lay snuggled in each others arms and listened to the song on the radio.

I have felt it
And I have held it
I have known
A woman's love

I have tasted
And I have wasted
A woman's love

And I know
I'll never understand
All the little things
that make It grand


A woman's love
And I know
I'll never come Face to face
With any thing
that takes the Place
Of a woman's love

Well I have kissed it
Tried to resist it
I have missed
A woman's love


And I have hated
Taken for granted
A woman's love

Well I have needed
And I have pleaded
And I have lost
A woman's love

And I have worshipped
And I have cursed it
A woman's love


Well I adore it
Thank god for it
A woman's love




Jet kissed her forehead, her eyelids, the tip of her nose and then her lips. "I love you Carly."



~The End~



~Calalily~