- Text Size +
The two were heading to the office when Tony called to tell them a report came across about a couple that had been killed. Turning the car around, Jet drove straight to the address Tony told him. They arrived to find the local LEO's crawling all over the scene. Carly sighed as Jet growled at the officer in charge, "Have your men stop what they are doing and get off the crime scene."


The officer recognized him from his confrontation with Downey and turned to do what he said. The entire department had been shamed by Downey's actions and he didn't want to get on the wrong side of Special Agent Gibbs. As one of the officers walked past Carly, he brushed her arm. She spun and told him, "If you guys wouldn't crawl all over the crime scene before your CSI's get to it, they wouldn't have to wade through useless information before getting to the real evidence." Jet took her hand and she blinked. "Now that you've contaminated our scene, it will take us twice as long to eliminate your finger and shoe prints."


The stunned officer didn't say a word as she walked to the house with Jethro. She looked back to see the officer in charge talking to McGee and getting the other cops rounded up to give their prints to the NCIS team. The FBI arrived just then and Fornell stepped from the driver's side of the car.


"Why are we here Jet and why is Fornell here also? This is a civilian couple isn't it?"


He nodded then told her, "This house belonged to our missing female terrorist. The couple murdered inside bought it once it was seized and put up for auction."


"Oh." She watched him for a moment and asked, "You want me to go in with you?"


Narrowing his eyes in Fornell's direction he answered, "It would help."


She looked back at Fornell, seeing him make his way over. "Gotcha. Discretion is the name of the game."


"Exactly. Tobias."


"Jethro. You seem to manage to beat us to a lot of scenes these days."


They turned to watch DiNozzo and Sacks argue over whose scene this was. "We'll take point and your guys can assist."


Fornell nodded, "I'm not getting into a pissing contest with you Gibbs as long as we get these bastards."


With that understanding between them, Jethro smiled at Carly and said, "You get to tell the hardheads."


Grinning, Carly yelled sweetly, "Oh boys! Yoohoo, boys! When you get finished discussing whose is bigger, we'll be inside. Oh, and Agent Sacks, NCIS is the point team on this one."


She turned as she heard Tony's, "Hah!" and she walked into the house.


-------


Carly walked into the kitchen and watched as Ducky took liver temps from the couple slumped over their lunch at the breakfast nook. Rubbing her forehead she looked around. "Why kill them? Why not wait until they left?"


Fornell asked her, "How do you know they were going somewhere?"


Carly tilted her head in the direction of the back door. "Purse with keys on top by the door. Sales papers near the purse. They were going shopping."


"What if they just came from shopping?," he asked, following her logic but wanting to know.


"If they had just come home, the purse would have been put up. There's a peg board in the washroom over there with other keys on it. The keys on the purse probably came from there. Habit would have them putting the keys back on the peg board."


He nodded, satisfied with her theory. "Maybe the killers didn't realize that."


Jet frowned, "Or maybe they just intend to kill anyone that is too close to their information."


The agents were silent as they thought about who they were after. Terrorists. Why would they care how many innocent casualties there were? They wouldn't. Carly looked down the hall.


"They were here for something." she said.


"What? Our agents turned this place upside down when it was seized. We found nothing" Tobias told her.


She raised her eyebrows. "If there weren't, why come back?"


Jethro was watching her. "We'll search again. Make sure they didn't miss anything before."