- Text Size +
---------------

The smell of coffee wafted upstairs and as Abby had predicted, it woke the two men. Gibbs lifted His head and looked up at Tony. Tony gave Him a little smile and said, "Abby."

He nodded and turned his face away, a little embarrassed about things. Tony gently tucked a finger under His chin and turned Him back towards him, "Are You okay?"

Gibbs saw no recrimination in Tony's eyes, no pity, just concern and…love. It took Him a moment to really accept that and reply, "Yeah."

Tony saw the embarrassment, and decided to repeat something that He had told him a year ago, "Do You remember telling me that we all need? And that there was no greater trust than being able to let someone give you exactly what you need?"

Gibbs nodded and Tony continued, "I get it now. All of it."

Gibbs let a little smile cross His face, "Yes, you do."

"We better head down so Abby can smother, I mean mother you."

Gibbs slid out of bed and headed for the dresser. He opened the drawer and pulled out a flat hinged box. He crossed back over to the bed and sat next to Tony who had sat up and swung his legs over the side of the bed. He handed Tony the box, "Before we go down, I want to give you something." He handed Tony the box.

He gave Gibbs a questioning look and opened the box. He smiled seeing his own collar nestled in the velvet. But it was different now than it had been the first time he wore it, it now sported a beautiful sapphire mounted to it. He ran an appreciative finger over it and looked over to the man sitting next to him. He suddenly had a lump in his throat but managed to croak out, "Thank you."

Gibbs smiled and teased, "Thank Abby, she picked it out."

Tony's eyes soften and he said quietly, "I meant for trusting me."

Gibbs pulled him into a tight embrace that Tony reciprocated and whispered, "Nobody more, Tony. Nobody more."

---------------

Abby was flitting around the kitchen when they came downstairs. She saw Gibbs and immediately muckled onto him for dear life. He squeezed her back and said, "I'm alright, Abs." She held Him for another minute then finally let Him go.

Tony was next in line for a big squeeze and oddly she held him even longer than she had Gibbs and whispered, "Love you," in his ear before letting him go.

The three sat quietly and had coffee. Gibbs and Tony could see Abby squirming over something. And Gibbs finally said, "What is it, Abs?"

"Um, well, um, last night when I left work I sorta met Eveline at the park that you had gone to when you left the office."

Gibbs almost choked on his coffee, Tony actually did.

"She was there?" Gibbs asked.

Abby nodded and continued, "We had a nice…talk."

"Did she know who you were? What did she say?" Gibbs' thoughts were suddenly spinning and He was reassured by Tony's hand on His shoulder.

"Yeah, she knew. And the topic of emeralds and onyx came up. So she really knew who I was. And before I tell you anything else I have a question. Will you promise to answer me honestly?"

That went without saying but He promised anyway, "Yes."

"Do you still care about her, still love her?" She asked Him in a tone that He knew meant that she meant business.

He wanted to lie. Lie to Abby, but more importantly lie to Himself. But He couldn't, especially with Tony sitting there knowing the full raw truth. "I never stopped loving her, Abby."

"Funny, she said something similar about You." Abby beamed at Him.

"She said what?" He demanded.

"You heard me right the first time. Now since it's better to beg forgiveness than ask permission I have something for You." She slid an envelope across the counter to Him.

He looked at it not really understanding and she explained, "She told me that she was going someplace where she could smell the sea and the flowers. So I did some digging last night and found her flight information." She pointed to the envelope, "Those are e-ticket confirmations for tickets for You to Hawaii. I couldn't get You on the same flight to L.A. but You're on her flight from L.A. to Hawaii."

She looked at the two flabbergasted men, "Gibbs, she loves You, You love her. Now is Your chance to fix things. You just have to be strong enough to take the chance."

Tony's hand had never left His shoulder and it grounded Him. He looked at Tony who challenged Him gently, "You have to ask Yourself which is worse, knowing or not knowing."

Gibbs dropped His eyes back to the envelope, and Tony added, "And You know regardless of what happens that we're here for You."

---------------

He had to know. And after taking a shower and packing a quick bag He found himself being driven to the airport by Abby and Tony. They pulled up to the terminal drop off and got out. They were quite willing to go in with Him and wait but He resisted, "I think I need to do this by myself."

Tony understood and nodded. Abby looked a little rejected but just gave Him a huge hug. Abby climbed back in the car giving the two men a moment, she could sense the reversal in their roles and knew that they would need time to sort things out.

They stood there for a moment and Tony decided to break the ice and extended his hand. Gibbs laughed and took it but at the last minute decided the hell with it and pulled Tony into a quick hug. And as He did He said quietly, "Thank you."

Tony clapped Him on the back and pulled back to look Him in the eye, noting that He seemed lighter today, as if a huge weight had been lifted from His shoulders, and Tony realized that it had, and that he was the one that had done it. His eyes twinkled in amusement and said honestly, "Anytime."

He watched as Gibbs disappeared into the terminal and took a deep breath. The events of the past twenty-four hours had managed to turn everything he thought he knew upside down. But as he turned towards the car, he was on the receiving end of a beautiful Abby smile and he knew that he wasn't alone and that everything would work itself out in the end one way or another.

---------------

Evie's flight had been called and she made her way to the plane and got all the way to the threshold of the plane's door but couldn't make herself cross it. She was running away again. Hurting Him again and not leaving Him any explanation as to why. And that thought made her chest hurt more than seeing him yesterday.

The other passengers jostled around her and when everyone but her had boarded, the flight attendant asked in a concerned way if she coming on board or not. That simple question solidified it all in her mind and with a determined look on her face she answered, "No. I'm staying this time." And she turned to make her way back down the tunnel.

---------------

He knew which flight she was on, and he had gotten through security in time to see it still sitting on the tarmac. He stood at the window watching the tunnel being pulled back and the plane moving. He watched it taxi away and he said to no one, "I've got your six this time, Evie."

A quiet voice that he would know anywhere said behind him, "You always had my six, Jethro."

He turned slowly, as if she would disappear if he moved too quickly. She hesitated but took a step towards him. And when he didn't say anything or move a muscle she took another step closer.

He could see her biting her bottom lip. She always did that when she was nervous. His eyes drank in her face, he knew every curve of it and his body was moving before his mind even knew what he was doing and he closed the distance between them and reached out to cup her cheek in his calloused hand.

She closed her eyes for a moment and just leaned into his touch as he gently stoked her cheek with his thumb. She opened her eyes and a single tear slid down and disappeared under his hand, as if sealing the moment. She didn't want to stumble over her words but there was something that she just had to say and in hoarse whisper she let it out, "I'm sorry. I'm sorry I wasn't strong enough to stay. I'm so sorry."

His hand that had been so lightly stroking her cheek moved to her lips and he shushed her by tracing them with a gentle finger and he smiled, "You did that to me once remember? I thought I was dreaming."

She nodded but he wouldn't let her speak, he wasn't done, "I'm the one who's sorry, Evie. Sorry I wasn't strong enough to follow you. I should have. I was afraid, afraid that you hated me."

He could see the flood of tears waiting to happen in her eyes and though she tried, a few snuck out as she reached a tentative hand to place it on his heart, "Jethro, I could never hate you, never. I loved you. I still love you, I never stopped."

He didn't hesitate, didn't over analyze it, didn't worry if it was the right thing to do or not, he just pulled her into his arms and held on tight. And his own tears threatened to fall as he whispered, "God, Evie, I've needed to hear you say that for so long. I love you too, always have. Always will." He kissed the top of her head.

She squeezed him back as tightly as he was holding her, neither of them caring about the spectacle that they were causing in the airport. She spoke into his chest, not willing to give up having his arms around her to talk, "So now what do we do?"

"I say we go to Hawaii. I can't think of a better place for us to work this out. No work, no phones, just you and me. What do you think?"

"I think we need plane tickets."

He chuckled and it made her laugh, and they each reveled in the sound of the other's laughter. It had been sorely missed.

They pulled back from each other and looked for their carryon bags but Evie caught him standing there with a familiar little smirk and she just shook her head and he caught the impish twinkle in her eye a split second before she shoved him up against the concrete terminal pillar and kissed him fiercely.

They ignored the catcalls and whistles and when she finally let him go his smirk had been replaced by a bamboozled look of shock. She turned to pick up her bag with a grin, "Good to know I still got it."

He shook his head and tried to re-engage his brain, "That was in question?"

They made their way to the ticket counter and he opened the envelope from Abby. He laughed as he read the note inside and handed it to Evie.

"Hi Gibbs, Hi Eveline! Since I just know that you didn't leave on that flight Eveline, there are two e-tickets waiting for you both to get you to L.A. and you can take the rest from there. Have fun and give us a call to let us know you're doing okay. Love, Abby

PS- Can you bring me back one of those little dancing hula girls for Tony's car? I want to surprise him. –A"


Evie laughed with him and teased, "I am dying to know the story behind Abby you know. She's something else."

He smiled fondly thinking of Abby, "Yes, she is. And I'll tell you all about her and," he hesitated for a moment and she finished for him, "And Tony?"

"Yeah." Somehow he wasn't surprised, but he wondered what else she and Abby had talked about.

"We have a lot to catch up on."

---------------

The warm sand and gentle breeze was therapeutic. The first week they were there they didn't rent a boat, instead finding a little fishing bungalow off the beaten path. They talked. And cried. And healed. Together. No lies. No blame. No guilt. Just truth.

Little by little they reacquainted themselves with each other, every so slowly. Each afraid of saying something to make the other disappear. And the fifth night they were there, lying together in a huge hammock in the moonlight he asked her why she hadn't gone swimming yet. He remembered having a hard time keeping her out of the water the last time they were here, and it was bothering him. He felt her stiffen in his arms. "What is it, Evie?"

"I'm afraid, Jethro."

"Of what?"

She deftly slipped out of the hammock and walked to the water's edge, letting the surf nip at her toes. Her long cotton skirt held up a little to keep it out of the water. She felt, rather than heard him approach behind her and his arms coming around her gave her strength. "I'm afraid of what you'll think when you see me."

He had suspected it was something like that, she had never been modest with him, never hid her body from him. And she had lived in a bikini their last two trips here. Now she covered up. And it almost killed him that she would think he wouldn't want her because of her scars.

"C'mon. Let's go swimming." He stepped back from her and peeled off his clothes. She turned to him and feasted on the sight of him naked in the moonlight. She met his eyes for a moment before hooking her thumbs in the waistband of her skirt and stepping out of it. She tossed it out of the way of the surf and biting her lip she peeled her t-shirt off over her head and it joined her skirt. Her chin high and her eyes locked to his she searched for his reaction.

He stepped towards her and raised a tentative hand to run it softly over her shoulder and trail it down to trace the curve of her breast. He could feel them, the subtle little ridges and bumps marking the line between virgin and tortured skin. But he didn't see them. All he saw was the woman that had lived in his dreams for so long naked in the moonlight.

He could almost hear Tony's words in his head telling him to let it go when the tears rose in his eyes he didn't fight them. He let them stream silently down his face and he whispered, "You are so beautiful."

She saw the raw truth of his words in his eyes and reached her hands up and brushed away his tears and pulled his face to hers for a gentle kiss, and she said, "Let's go swimming."

They swam and explored each other all over again in the moonlight. They felt young again, free. And the night was filled with the sound of their laughter. And later after they had washed the sea from their skin, their finesse and grace abandoned them as it had on the first night they had made love and they stumbled to bed in a heap of arms and legs. And soon the night was filled with the quiet sounds of passion as fifteen years of longing was sated.

---------------

The next morning she slipped out of bed before him and sat out on the beach with a coffee smiling as she thought about the night before. She shivered remembering the feel of him making his way into her for the first time in what seemed like a lifetime. She had thought she remembered the joy of having him inside her, she was wrong. He had been so gentle, so strong, and he had made it last forever. It had just been…perfect.

He looked out of the doorway and saw her sitting out on a blanket wearing just his t-shirt and he smiled. He poured himself coffee and joined her. He sat behind her and put his long legs out alongside hers and pulled her back to lean on him. "You okay?"

"Better than okay."

---------------

They spent the next two days in a relaxing haze of sun and sand and sex. Then they decided that since they had another week that they really needed a boat. Hawaii just wasn't the same without one. So they packed up and rented one.

And the first night they lay cocooned in each other's arms on deck they talked about the future for the first time. Seattle to Washington was not an easy commute. But Evie had a solution. "I have an offer to head up cold case. Based out of Langley. It was one of the reasons I was on the east coast. I had a meeting about it the day before I went to NCIS."

"Is that something you want?"

"It's a great opportunity for me. I can really make a difference in cold case. But coming back isn't going to be easy. Memories are long and when they first presented it to me I wasn't sure I could handle it alone. But now…"

He squeezed her tightly, "You're not alone. Besides me, you can bet you've got Abby. And Tony. And we take care of our own."

"That's something we haven't talked about you know."

"What?" he asked, although he was pretty sure he knew the answer.

"Emeralds and clovers." She said simply.

"Yeah."

"I spent a lot of my time in therapy trying to reconcile what we used to do to what I could tolerate, what I wanted, what I needed. There is no one on this earth that I trust more than you, Jethro. But there are things I just can't do any more. Even with you. Is that part of who we were something you can live without?"

"Evie, just having you here, being able to touch you like this is enough for me. And if there is anything else you want it's your call. But this is enough, more than enough."

"And what about Abby and Tony?" They had had a long talk about them, and she knew how much he cared about them.

"They have each other. And," he chuckled, "they even love each other. But I'm not supposed to know that."

A quiet moment stretched out as they each got lost in their thoughts. When a particularly adamant wave smacked the side of the boat setting it rocking Evie laughed, "We still need a boat of our own, Jethro."

He laughed and rolled her under him, "About that…"

---------------

Matthew opened his email to see one from Evie. He hadn't heard from her in a few weeks and he smiled as he opened it, wondering what sort of trouble she had been making for the criminal world now. The email was short.

"Matthew, I finally found all the pieces. Love, Evie"

There was a picture attached and when he opened it he almost didn't recognize the radiant, sun-kissed couple in the picture. She was wearing a beautiful white sundress with a lei of red flowers and the man embracing her from behind in a light grey linen suit with his head tucked on her shoulder was older than he remembered but still ruggedly handsome. They looked happy, and in love.

But what almost brought tears to his eyes, knowing what they both had been through, were the simple gold bands on their fingers glinting in the sunlight.

---------------

The End.

Author's Note: I would really like to thank everyone that has so patiently supported this story from the beginning. Writing this at times was amazingly draining emotionally and all of the feedback I have received was so positive and supportive. Thank you all. ~CJ