- Text Size +

----------



Tony got home from work actually on time for a change and wanted to take Laura out to dinner, their schedules had been a bit hectic the past couple of weeks and they hadn't really had any down time. He was surprised when he got home to see current issues of all the bridal magazines strewn on the coffee table with Laura no where to be seen. He popped into the kitchen, no Laura but an open bottle of wine sat on the counter, he paused and poured himself one then grinned and headed for their bathroom. Sure enough there was Laura up to her pretty neck in a bubble bath with a washcloth over her eyes and glass of wine at hand.



She heard him come in and smiled.



"Want some company?" he asked.



"Love some."



He stripped quickly and stepped carefully into the tub. The tub was one of the few changes they had made to the house. The old tub was just old and small, and the new oversized clawfoot was heavenly and they both enjoyed it.



"So what brought this on?" he asked lightly trying to remember if he had done or said anything stupid in the last few days.



"Helen stopped by, did you see the coffee table?" she said wearily.



"Ah." He wanted to be as far away from the wedding planning as humanly possible without annoying Laura.



"Your father's assistant called yesterday with the names of several wedding planners he would be happy to pay for."



"Ah."



"Actually he wants to pay for the whole wedding. Whatever we want he said."



"Ah."



Laura lifted one corner of her washcloth and saw him at the other end of the tub biting his lip trying not to laugh.



"I'm giving serious consideration to you, me and an Elvis impersonator in Las Vegas."



Tony couldn't help it, he just started laughing, "Can you picture the society page now? My dad would have an aneurysm."



"Yeah he would, considering his guest list is three hundred people give or take that reads like a Who's Who."



That brought Tony up short, "Three hundred? Are you serious?"



She lifted the cloth, "Do I look like I'm kidding?"



He got a little serious, "You know we never talked about this. What do you want for the wedding? Forget my father, forget work, just think about you and me."



She took the cloth off her eyes and studied him for a moment. "I can't think of anything nicer than being surrounded by our family and friends. I just don't want a big fuss."



"Yeah me too. We'll figure it out, I promise. Just not tonight. I have other plans for you tonight."



She arched an eyebrow, "Really. Lascivious plans?"



"Hmm well I was going to feed you first but if you insist we can move right on to dessert." He teased with a suggestive grin.



----------



NCIS was fortunately having a slow week and the team found themselves able to work on some old cold case files. Tony found himself having to fly to Chicago to conduct a follow up interview leaving Laura to fend for herself for a couple of days.



Gibbs rolled his eyes when Tony told him to watch out for Laura while he was gone, "DiNozzo you are going to be gone one night. I'm sure she's not going to pine away."



"I know Boss its just that this is the first time I've had to travel for the job since…"



He silenced Tony by hitting a speed dial on his cell, "Laura I've been informed that you need a babysitter tonight."



Tony could only hear one side of the conversation but he cringed, he would get an earful about this when he got back from Chicago he was sure. And Gibbs had Laura's number as a speed dial?



He heard Gibbs tell her he would pick her up for dinner and he hung up.



"Satisfied DiNozzo?"



Tony grimaced, "Yes. And no. On so many levels Boss. Thanks."



Gibbs just snickered as Tony headed for the elevator.



----------



When Gibbs arrived to pick Laura up for dinner she was on the phone. And he caught part of what he suspected was a conversation she had had before and wasn't enjoying. She wrapped it up and hanging up dropped her head to the doorjamb.



"My future father-in-law." She said in a tired voice turning her head towards him with a little grin.



"Ah." He said sympathetically and nodded.



He took her to his favorite sushi restaurant, shocked that she had never had sushi before. They enjoyed their dinner immensely. They hadn't been out just the two of them since Tony proposed. Not even for their normal lunches or coffee. And they missed each other.



They got some coffee and walked for a bit, enjoying the night.



"So is there a particular reason Tony decided I needed a keeper tonight, something I don't know?" she asked.



"It really is just a witness interview Laura, nothing dangerous. I promise." He replied hearing the concern in her voice.



They walked a bit further, in a companionable silence. One of the things they liked about spending time together was the fact that neither felt the need to fill in the quiet breaks with chatter.



When he brought her home and walked her inside, he was quiet. He gave her an odd look and smiled.



"Oh now I'm curious. What's that grin for?"



"I was just thinking that Shannon would have really liked you." He said with a grin and a faraway look.



She pulled him into the living room and pushed him into sitting on the couch. She curled up on the other end and prodded, "Tell me about her." She knew about Shannon and Kelly. And the three ex-wives that came after. But he never said anything like that about Shannon before and she was intrigued.



"You're a lot alike. Smart, funny. She could laugh at anything. Me especially." Once he started talking it was like a floodgate of happy memories had been opened for him. They talked for a long time and when they were talked out and she walked him to the door she impulsively gave him a hug, sensing he needed one although his mood was light and cheerful. He gave her a tight squeeze and said in a low voice, "Thanks."



"For what?"



"Just being you."



"Don't know how to be anybody else Jethro."



After he left she again wished for someone to help patch the huge holes in Jethro's heart. A more deserving person she had never met.



Tony called from his hotel as she was getting ready for bed.



"Hey."



"Hi."



"Miss me?" he teased.



"No."



"No?"



He sounded so honestly hurt at that remark that she took pity on him, "Well maybe a little. You sound tired."



"I have literally been running all day. I hate Chicago. Officially."



"You shouldn't have any trouble sleeping."



"Can say that again. I barely had the energy to take a shower."



"It was a long day."


"You and Gibbs have fun?"



"Yeah. We went for sushi, which the jury is still out on by the way, and talked for a while just getting caught up. I haven't seen him much lately."



He knew. And that was why he prodded Gibbs earlier, knowing that neither of them would take the initiative. "I know."



"I talked to your dad about the wedding."



"I'm sorry."



"Yeah. But I had a brainstorm earlier that I want to check out this weekend if you end up not working."



"Anything for you." He murmured sleepily.



"Tony?"



"Mmm."



"Go to sleep. I love you."



"Love you too you know."



"I know."



----------



They went that weekend and looked at the location Laura had in mind for the wedding and they both loved it. With that cemented Laura completely took control over their wedding telling Tony, "If I can run an entire town department and organize black-tie fundraisers I should be qualified to handle a wedding."



Tony had been sharing stories about it at the office and to hear him tell it she was like a General getting ready to storm the beaches at Normandy. Truth be told, Laura was tired.



He stood in her office door taking in the comical scene before him. Laura was on the phone arguing with what sounded like one of the bean-counters in the town hall but she had her eyes closed and her forehead on the blotter of her desk. Hanging up the phone she put the handset back in the cradle without lifting her head.



Laura caught a whiff of sawdust and coffee and knew that she had company, "Hello Jethro."



He chuckled, "You look like you need this," he said as he put a coffee down on the desk.



She sat up and opened the coffee with a look of surrender to her addiction. "So, to what do I owe this honor?"



"Can't a guy just buy you a cup of coffee?"



"Depends on the guy. Some guys I know used to visit all the time, now not so much." She chastised lightly.



He dropped his eyes down to his own cup, "Yeah. I know."



"Sorry. I'm just…" she waved her hand in a vague gesture and shook her head. "Anyway, what brings you here Jethro?"



"Tony asked me to be his best man."



"You sound surprised." She teased as she sipped her coffee.



"It wasn't something I expected."



"Since when has Tony ever done the expected?"



He laughed, "Good point." He stood to leave and said, "About the not stopping by thing…"



Her eyes grew soft and she said gently, "I know Jethro, I know."



And she knew, or at least she thought she did, thinking that the reason he was distancing himself was that she reminded him too much of Shannon. And part of her wondered if that semblance of the personality of his first wife was what drew him to her in the first place and kept him coming back. What she didn't know was exactly how wrong she was in that assumption.



----------

Chapter End Notes:
Title: He Knew
Author: CJ aka WritinginCT
Fandom: NCIS
Pairing: DiNozzo/OFC
Rating: PG-13 -Teen
Warnings: Angst
Disclaimer: I don't own the recognizable characters I'm just inspired by them. Hopefully they've had fun playing in my sandbox.
Comments: What if Tony fell in love with just an average person? My AU, season twoish.
Feedback: Love it? Hate it? Want to offer me a book deal to write original fiction? Email me at writinginct@yahoo.com