- Text Size +
-----------

They survived the receiving line, barely. Greeting almost four hundred people took a while and Laura thought for sure that her face was going be permanently frozen in a smile. When the last person had been greeted Gibbs looked around and whispered to them, "If you two want a couple minutes now would be the time."

Without hesitation Tony took Laura's hand and dragged her off to a hidden alcove in the garden. "So Mrs. DiNozzo, about that little speech of yours…"

Laura put on her best angelic face, "Yes, what about it?"

"That long, Laur? Honestly?" He entwined his fingers with hers admiring the shiny bands of gold adorning both their hands.

"Honest. Actually I think it started the night I got out of the hospital, but I refused to think about it until Daniel's funeral."

"We sure took the long way to get here didn't we?"

"My fault." She laughed.

"Nah, you're too cute to blame. So shall we go get the party started?"

----------

The spread of food was enormous, they had opted to do a lavish Tuscany oriented buffet instead of a sit-down dinner. The band was playing some soft background music, setting the mood. They mingled for a while until Tony finally took her by the hand and led her onto the dance floor. He accepted a microphone from the band leader and gently cleared his throat into it to get everyone's attention.

"When we started planning this wedding my wife," he chuckled then continued, "Guess I've got to get used to saying that. Anyway, my wife put me in charge of the band, and I got to pick our song which I've managed to keep a secret from her all this time. All I told her was that it came from a movie that was released in our lifetime. Now you all know that we are not the two most serious people you'll ever meet and I think this fits us."

He handed the microphone back and stepped over to Laura, the band took the cue and started playing. It took a second for what song it was to sink in, but when it did Laura laughed and shook her head as Tony pulled her in to dance with a big grin. The sounds of Starship's Nothing's Gonna Stop Us Now surrounded them.

"So am I sleeping on the couch tonight, Laur?" Tony teased as they danced.

She giggled, "No. It's perfect. Just perfect."

Gibbs watched them dancing. The song was well, different, he thought. Definitely not what he expected for their wedding song, but then again as Laura had pointed out, since when had Tony done the expected.

----------

It was a festive day. Everyone ate and drank, and danced and laughed. The cutting of the cake went off without incident and the happy couple delicately fed each other slivers among the ohh's and ahh's of the guests. And they mingled and danced with their guests.

Laura was standing near Tony and the O'Neill's when the band started a slow country song. "Oh, I love this song." She said.

"I know. That's why I put it on the band's playlist." Tony teased. "Besides, you need something to dance with Gibbs to." He winked and indicated his Boss standing off to the side speaking with another guest.

"You're right." She gave Tony a little peck and headed off towards Gibbs.

She walked up behind him and slipped her arm in his. When he looked down she said, "Dance with me, Gunny?"

He said with a twinkle in his eye, "Thought you'd never ask."

Tony, watched them dancing from the sidelines, smiled. He remembered her walking off that elevator the first time they met, and remembered wanting desperately to get to know her. And now here they were, married. He thought about the young man he had never met that brought them together and made a silent promise to Daniel that he would always take care of Laura.

----------

The day finally wore down and the happy couple made their getaway to the suite they reserved at the airport hotel. Their flight to Italy left the next afternoon. The suite was well prepared for the newlyweds, complete with champagne and strawberries.

Laura was still trying to get over the giggles that had set in when Tony actually carried her over the room's threshold. She slipped her high heels off with a sigh of bliss as Tony opened the champagne. He had managed to find the remote control to the stereo and put on some soft music. He had taken off his jacket and tie and had unbuttoned a couple buttons. And as he handed her a glass of champagne with one of his patented grins the light reflected off of his wedding band and Laura thought the man had never looked sexier.

Tony recognized the look on Laura's face and teased, "Mrs. DiNozzo are you dragging me through the gutter of your mind?"

She teased back, "And if I am?"

He leaned in and stole a kiss, "Then we should compare notes."

----------

Gibbs arrived at their hotel around eleven the next morning. He was picking up Tony's tux and Laura's dress and anything else they weren't taking to Italy.

Their room was controlled chaos when he arrived. And the teasing was flying back and forth between them. The main theme of which was that Tony had more suitcases than Laura.

He accompanied them to the lobby as they checked out. Tony went to oversee the transfer of the luggage to the airport giving Gibbs and Laura a moment alone.

Laura was standing next to Gibbs but her eyes were on Tony. She smiled gently and said, "You know Jethro, I was very wrong about something."

"What's that?"

"He is the kind of man to end up happily ever after with a frumpy, weird, almost middle-aged, librarian." She said turning to face him.

He shook his head and smiled.

He knew.

------------

The End

Thanks to everyone who has so diligently followed this story. It has been quite the ride. I am planning on sequel to "He Knew" so be on the lookout for it.