- Text Size +

----------



Tony and McGee made it back to NCIS before Gibbs and Kate, and after dropping his bag at his desk he headed for the interrogation room to see Laura. He slipped into the observation area and smiled as he saw her playing solitaire.



His smile became wider as he noticed the book on the table next to her. It was a three inch thick movie trivia encyclopedia. He was jealous, it was the new edition and he didn't have it yet.



And then he realized that she was humming to herself and he recognized the tune, it was the song "Shall We Dance" from The King and I. He decided in that moment that she was going to play a big part in his future. She just didn't know it yet.



He stuck his head into the interrogation room, "Hi. Bored yet?"



She smiled, "You have no idea. Any news on Daniel?"



"Nothing yet sorry. But I'm heading back to my desk to see if the others are back yet. Do you need anything before I go?"



"No, thank you though."



Tony headed back to the bullpen just in time to see Kate and Gibbs exit the elevator.



Gibbs barked out an, "Okay what have we got?" and Tony and McGee reported that Daniel's quarters had been trashed. And that the really bad news was that Daniel had framed the newspaper article where Laura was named the new library director and it appeared that someone had punched it. They knew where she worked. And most likely where she lived as they also found letters from Laura to Daniel scattered around with her return address on them.



Kate and Gibbs shared that most of Daniel's co-workers checked out, with the exception of PFC Alan Hanson. He had been dishonorably discharged four days ago and hadn't been seen since.



Gibbs ordered Kate and McGee to gear up for a night of protection detail at Laura's. And he and Tony headed towards the interrogation rooms. Tony tried pressing Gibbs about doing the protection detail. But he just got glared at.



The two men entered the room and Laura immediately looked to Gibbs hopefully and he felt bad that he had to say, "I'm sorry Laura we haven't found him yet."



He explained about putting her under NCIS protection, and that Kate and McGee would stay with her overnight. "And tomorrow you're going to get a new employee at the library."



When Laura gave him a raised eyebrow he grinned, "What? You can't see Tony here as a librarian?"



Internally Laura was groaning, it had to be him. Tony on the other hand was thrilled.



----------



The evening passed without incident, Laura found Kate and Tim to not only be very competent in their duties but were also friendly and companionable. The sleep she lost was due to worry and not a reflection of the way they did their job.



The next day Kate dropped her off at work a short while after the library opened and three of her female employees descended on her wanting to know why she had been keeping the new hire a secret. They were practically drooling and Laura knew it was going to be an impossibly long day.



She headed for her office where Tony was waiting and she had to work very hard to stifle the giggle that threatened to escape her. He had taken it upon himself to dress ‘nerd'. He had on khaki pants, which were fine, but he topped it with an ugly plaid shirt and a tie that didn't quite match and if that weren't bad enough he added a sweater vest and a tweed jacket. His hair was actually slicked down, but it wasn't behaving and he had little bits sticking up here and there. And he was sporting a truly hideous pair of black plastic rimmed eyeglasses. If the situation weren't so serious it would have been comical because even a nerded up Tony was still leaving a trail of interested women.



He could see the amusement in her eyes but she wouldn't show it, wouldn't let it out. He teased, "So do I meet the dress code?"



She quipped back, "No, you're missing a pocket protector."



And before he could reply she headed back out to the main area leaving him no choice but to follow with his mouth hanging open.



Gibbs was in the car watching and listening to the entire exchange and he laughed, DiNozzo didn't know what hit him.



----------



It was a nerve-racking day for Laura. She kept hoping Daniel would show up, and praying that the unknown danger to her didn't. Tony was blending in well, and he kept trying to bait her and get her into a conversation. If she didn't know better she would almost think he was hitting on her.



Gibbs, still listening, knew that that was exactly what Tony was doing.


----------



Laura decided to stay at the library until its closing at eight o'clock and just before seven Gibbs spoke solemnly into Tony's earwig, a body had been found matching Daniel's description. He was taking Kate and McGee to process the scene and wanted Tony to take Laura to NCIS immediately when they closed the library. He told Tony not to worry Laura until they could confirm that it was in fact Daniel. He also told him that he was going to have local law enforcement do some heavy drive by surveillance until closing time.



Eight o'clock rolled around and Laura evicted all of her staff leaving just her and Tony. They had gotten their stuff together and after Laura set the alarm they walked out to the car parked at the curb.



When she saw that they weren't heading towards her apartment she questioned Tony, "Where are we going?"



"The Boss told me to bring you to NCIS."



"Why? Did they locate Daniel? Is he okay?"



He hating lying to her but did, "I don't have any info Laura, I'm sorry."



She looked at him for a moment and saw that he was clenching his teeth and staring straight ahead with a death grip on the steering wheel and knew he was lying, and not by choice. She wanted to tell him she understood, but didn't.



----------



She was staring out at the Washington skyline and didn't hear him approach but her nose caught an odd scent of wood a second before he spoke, "Laura?"



She didn't say anything she just dropped her head, his tone was grave and that could only mean one thing, Daniel was dead. She asked in a low voice, "Is he…?"



"I'm sorry Laura. Sergeant O'Neill identified Daniel's body."



He watched her carefully wondering if she were going to faint or hyperventilate. She did neither.



She lifted her eyes and tried to focus on the skyline again but the tears simmering in her eyes just blurred it beyond seeing. She wanted to howl at how unfair it was. She wanted to let the sobs take her until she fell asleep exhausted. It was what she had done when she buried her parents at twenty. The car accident that had taken them was just as unfair. She now had to bury someone else she cared about and was alone again. But she wouldn't cry, she would be strong for Daniel.



"How did he die?"



Gibbs took a breath, and met her eyes in the reflection on the window, "His neck was broken. He died instantly."



He went to put a caring hand on her shoulder but could almost feel her pulling into herself so he didn't.



"They're going to kill me too aren't they?" she asked quietly.



This time he didn't hesitate and took her upper arms in his hands and gave a gentle squeeze and her resolve broke and she turned into his chest and let him hold her. And she realized once enveloped in it that the gentle wood smell was coming from him, and for some reason it made her feel safe and secure.



"We're not going to let anything happen to you Laura."



"If they can kill a Marine do you really think a librarian will be a challenge?"



"Actually yeah, because we've got your six. And you're tough."



She sniffed a couple of times, "Not so tough."



Tony had watched the entire exchange peeking over the divider at his desk, and sighed. What was it that Gibbs had that he didn't?



----------

Chapter End Notes:
Title: He Knew
Author: CJ aka WritinginCT
Fandom: NCIS
Pairing: DiNozzo/OFC
Rating: PG-13 -Teen
Warnings: Angst
Disclaimer: I don't own the recognizable characters I'm just inspired by them. Hopefully they've had fun playing in my sandbox.
Comments: What if Tony fell in love with just an average person? My AU, season twoish.
Feedback: Love it? Hate it? Want to offer me a book deal to write original fiction? Email me at writinginct@yahoo.com