- Text Size +

Laura didn't see Tony again during her week long stay in the hospital. But he did send her a large bouquet of flowers with silly balloons which had all the nurses giggling. The card simply read, "Tony", no message. She didn't know how to take it. She finally decided to just stop analyzing it. He sent flowers, it was sweet but it didn't necessarily mean anything. She tried calling him at his office to say thank you but ended up getting his voicemail. She left a quick message thanking him for the flowers and let him know that she was getting discharged the next day.



Tony had argued with himself about the flowers, wondering if the gesture would make her close him off again being too forward. He felt like they had bonded somewhat while locked in that room and when she woke up in the hospital she hadn't put that wall back up.



When he ordered them he didn't realize that Gibbs was standing behind him and when he turned and saw him he expected to get a head slap, but instead the boss just shook his head and grinned, a knowing sort of grin. Tony didn't know if that was a good or bad sign.



----------



Laura had a co-worker pick her up at the hospital and drive her home. She was glad to be home. She was padding around her kitchen in her sweatpants with her arm in a sling attempting to chop some vegetables for stir fry one-handed when her doorbell rang.



Not expecting company it surprised her. She was even more surprised when she looked out the peephole to see Tony standing there. She opened the door and gave him a quizzical look, "Tony? What are you doing here?"



"I ah, well ah, I figured you might be bored so I brought over something to entertain you," he held up the dvd he was carrying and she could see it was The Sting, "and yes the pun was intended."



She smiled and groaned, "That was bad, SO bad. Come on in. I was attempting to cook dinner, have you eaten?"



He followed her into the apartment, "Shouldn't you be resting?"



"I have done nothing but rest all week. And I want real food for dinner, not that food-wanna-be that the hospital serves."



He laughed, hospital food wasn't his favorite either and he offered, "I can spring for Chinese."



"Nah, that's what I'm making in the kitchen. It's just slow chopping one-handed. But if you chop we can eat in no time." She counter offered.



He followed her into the apartment's tiny kitchen and they worked side by side and made dinner. Surprising to both they worked well together and the kitchen was full of teasing and laughter. He was glad to see that the wall hadn't been put back up.



They ate in the living room and started the movie. He was very impressed with her collection, seeing a lot of dvds that he had but even more that he didn't. He figured that between them they had enough to open their own rental business. He was also secretly pleased with the fact that his bouquet was in the center of her coffee table.



They watched the movie both settled into opposite ends of the couch with their feet up on the coffee table. They paused it midway for a bathroom, hot chocolate, pain pill for Laura break then resumed their spots on the couch.



Tony couldn't remember the last time he was this relaxed at someone else's home, he always felt like he had to keep up some sort of front, a mask of sorts. But for some reason with Laura he felt like he could, no should just be himself. Let his guard down and relax. His mind wandered a bit from the movie and he tried to figure out what it was about her that made him so comfortable. Something niggled at his brain about it but he couldn't pin it down.



Laura was getting very tired and the pain pill wasn't helping. She thought it was very unlike herself to have someone, especially a man, scratch that, a gorgeous man, in her apartment spending time with her because he wanted to and that she was comfortable letting him. It must be the drugs.



As the credits rolled Tony could see that Laura was wilting and needed to go to bed. They stood up and she walked him to the door, "Thank you for the company tonight Tony. It was nice."



He gave her that same intense gaze he had given her in the hospital and tucked a stray curl that escaped from her hair clip behind her ear, "It was really nice. You gonna be okay here by yourself?"



"I'll be fine. I've been taking care of myself for a long time." She said matter-of-factly, trying to put that wall back up unsuccessfully. His playing with her hair had unnerved her a bit. And that intensity in his eyes, what was that all about?



"I left my cell number for you. If you need anything, anytime, call. I mean it." He sensed her trying to put some distance between them but couldn't figure out why.



"Yes mom. Now scoot so I can go to bed."



It was on the drive home that he figured out what it was that made him so comfortable with her, it was the fact that she wasn't all over him like a cat on catnip. She wasn't flirting with him, wasn't lacing her words with innuendo, wasn't looking at him like a prize to be won. When she talked to him she was really interested in what he had to say, and when she smiled at him it was genuine and honest.



Then it hit him, and his stomach knotted, she wasn't interested in him. As a friend maybe, but nothing more. Damn. He hoped he was reading this situation all wrong.



----------



Kate was watching Tony. He hadn't exactly been himself since they had found him and Laura. She kept catching him lost in thought, seemingly a million miles away. And he wasn't gawking at every woman that passed by, he even declined a phone number from the waitress yesterday at lunch. Something was definitely not right with Tony.



Today his behavior reached new levels of weird as he kept picking up his phone and putting it back down without dialing. Even Gibbs noticed his bizarre behavior but just smirked at Tony from his desk, again giving Tony that knowing look.



----------



The next day was Daniel's funeral.



Laura, as Daniel's next of kin, was shown all the respect and support that entailed and she held her head high as they presented her with the folded flag knowing Daniel would have wanted her to be strong and honor the traditions of his beloved Marine Corps. She was amazed at the number of people that turned out for Daniel. She had no idea he was so well liked and it made the sting of his death all the more potent.



Tony and Gibbs were standing in the back of the crowd and from his view point Tony could see her startle at each of the rifle reports, and it took a lot of self control for him not to go to her side.



Laura's apartment was too small to hold any sort of reception so Sergeant O'Neill and his wife had offered to host it at their home. Laura was trying very hard to put on a strong front, but she was honestly tired and her shoulder was throbbing. She stepped outside to get some air and try and collect herself a bit. It did not go unnoticed. And she somehow wasn't surprised to hear a concerned voice say behind her, "Here this will help."



She turned to see Tony extending one hand with a couple of ibuprofen and a glass of soda in the other. She gave him a weak smile, "Thanks." She took the pills and washed them down with the soda, grateful for the sugar and caffeine boost.



He gave her a little wink, "What are friends for?"



She gave him a questioning look, "Is that what we are Tony?"



"I'd like to think so."



"Me too."



----------



Gibbs noticed PFC Thompson sitting off to one side by himself. Gibbs had read the young man's file. He came from a similar circumstance as Daniel, the son of two dead drug addicts that ended up in the foster care system. Daniel had met him while home on leave and showed the young man that he could in fact have another life. With Daniel's help he enlisted and by all reports he was good Marine. Gibbs observed him for a moment and saw that he kept looking at something in his hat. He went over to the young man who instantly snapped to his feet. He introduced himself to Ryan and found him to be very respectful, not the most eloquent or educated, but respectful and worthy of his uniform.



"How are holding up Thompson?"



"Honestly sir today was harder than I thought it would be."



Gibbs eyes softened, "I know son. And I wish I could tell you it gets easier but it doesn't. All you can do is honor the ones you lose, and honor that uniform you're wearing and what it stands for."



"Thank you sir. I think Corporal Castille would have liked to see how many showed up today for him."



"He was a good man, a good Marine. He would be proud of how you are conducting yourself today."



"Thank you sir."



"Can I ask what's in your cover that you keep looking at?"



The young man blushed and glanced over at Laura who was now sitting by Tony on a loveseat speaking with a couple of Marines that Daniel had served with in Iraq. "Dan, I mean Corporal Castille, used to get letters from Laura, I mean Miss Paquette and he would share them with me since I didn't have anyone sending me anything. Well there was this one letter that she wrote him when we were in Iraq about the big Fourth of July celebration that she went to and she talked about the parade and stuff and how proud she was of all of us. And I don't know sir, it just made me feel good to know that somebody was proud of us. Daniel gave me that letter sir and that's what I keep in my cover."



Gibbs knew this young man's background and knew that he probably never had anyone in his whole life tell him that they were proud of him. Gibbs found himself almost choked up, and that didn't happen often. He pulled out one of his cards and gave it to him, "If you ever need anything you call me. If you need to talk, or if something hits the fan you call me. Got it?"



"Yes sir. Thank you sir."



"And I think you should go talk to Miss Paquette. I'll bet she would like to know that you liked her letter."



Gibbs walked over with the young man to where Laura was sitting, seeing Gibbs Tony stood up and the other Marines excused themselves. Laura looked at the shy young man and had him sit down next to her. Gibbs and Tony moved off to another corner of the room while she talked to him.



Gibbs asked quietly, "How's she holding up?"



"She's tired and her pain meds wore off hours ago. I got her to take some ibuprofen but she needs to go home soon. But she's being stubborn; I think she's trying to be a Marine today."



"Go Laura."



"Boss."



"Something against Marines DiNozzo? Or are you just getting a little protective of a certain redhead?"



Tony just glared at him.



Gibbs chuckled, "Guess that answers my question."



----------



Laura regarded the shy young man sitting next to her. Daniel had told her how he had taken him under his wing. She listened as he told her about the letter Daniel had given him and it made her smile, it was something Daniel would do.



"Ryan I know you were good friends with Daniel and its going to be hard for both of us without him here, but maybe you and I could keep writing. And maybe sometime you'll find somebody that needs you to give them one of your letters. What do you think?"



His eyes lit up and she knew that she had said the right thing, "I would be honored Ma'am."



That being settled Laura made another quick round of the crowd and made her excuses and goodbyes. She was about to ask Sergeant O'Neill to bring her home when she saw Tony standing there with her coat, her purse and Daniel's flag.



She shook her head slightly as she walked towards him, she wasn't used to having anyone looking after her and she didn't know how exactly to take it, but it felt nice, really nice actually. When she reached him he asked simply, "Need a ride home?"



----------



When they reached her apartment she invited Tony in for coffee which he readily accepted. He made her take a pain pill and they settled in on the couch. He could see that she was lost in her thoughts and staring at the folded flag that she had placed on her bookshelf near Daniel's picture. He wasn't surprised when the sobs came, she had been holding them in all day. He just pulled her gently to him mindful of her shoulder and let her cry against him. He stroked her hair and murmured soothing words.



Eventually her sobs subsided and he realized that she had fallen asleep. Not wanting to disturb her he made himself as comfortable as he could and put his feet up on the coffee table. Grabbing the afghan from the back of the couch he covered her and closed his eyes enjoying the feel of her against him. He rubbed his cheek against her hair and realized Gibbs was right, he was getting protective. But was that a good or bad thing? He didn't know.



----------

Chapter End Notes:
Title: He Knew
Author: CJ aka WritinginCT
Fandom: NCIS
Pairing: DiNozzo/OFC
Rating: PG-13 -Teen
Warnings: Angst
Disclaimer: I don't own the recognizable characters I'm just inspired by them. Hopefully they've had fun playing in my sandbox.
Comments: What if Tony fell in love with just an average person? My AU, season twoish.
Feedback: Love it? Hate it? Want to offer me a book deal to write original fiction? Email me at writinginct@yahoo.com