- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Robert Gibbs and the gang is in trouble
Chapter 4


Chuck E Cheese’s

Great, the name of their puppy is settled! Problem solved - Killer Bean it is.
Kate thinks she can finally read in peace, at the back of her mind already thinking about lunch for the growing children. But the peace and quiet only stays for about an hour.
Joshua approaches his aunt. “Aunt Katie, what are we going to eat for lunch?” the six year old wonders.
“What do you want for lunch, Joshua?” Kate puts down her book and looks at her nephew as she asks him with a smile.

Jaclyn was coloring with Robert. Actually the little girl was showing Robert how to color within the lines, when she overhears the conversation. Her small head snaps up, she dashes to her aunt as well and asks:
“Can we have Chuck E Cheese’s for lunch, Aunt Katie?” as she gives Kate her killer smile: the one that gets her everything, with her dad. Jaclyn uses the opportunity, as she sits next to her pregnant aunt and rests her head on Kate’s bulging tummy, looking up at Kate with her dopey eyes.

Robert witnesses his cousins smothering his mom. He leaves his drawing paper and runs to his mom. “Bobby hugs mommy too”. Kate doesn’t have to wonder for too long where her son gets his jealous streak from " his dad!

Robert questions his mom, he has never heard that weird name that Jaclyn mentioned before. “What’s ‘Chuckcheese’, mommy???” not being able to pronounce it correctly.

“You have never eaten at Chuck E Cheese’s, Bobby???” Jaclyn exclaims and looks at Robert in horror. How could it be possible?

“Poor Bobby.” Joshua pities his baby cousin.
“No,” Robert replies sadly as he shakes his head and looks at his mom with curiosity.
“We never take Robert to Chuck E Cheese’s, Jaclyn,” Kate pinches the girl’s tiny nose " gone is the hope of no junk food for her child.
“OK, OK. We’ll go to Chuck E Cheese’s for dinner with your uncle if he says it is OK.” Kate is still hoping that Jethro might say no, even though she doubts it.

Joshua tries his luck. “What about Chuck E Cheese’s for lunch AND dinner?”
“No, Joshua,” Kate laughs " these kids, as she remembers how her husband melted under their ‘fingers’ years ago.
Suddenly, Robert has an idea. “Mommy, lunch with daddy? Office?” he suggests as he kisses his mom excessively, not wanting to lose to his cousins. After all, she is his mommy.
----------------------------------------------

HQ

“Gibbs,” he answers his line.
“Daddy, this is Bobby,” his son greets him. A smile is etched on his face as he hears his son’s voice.
“Yes Robert,” he acknowledges the boy. Gibbs notices that his son is showing off his language skills to his cousins.
“Mommy, Joshua, Jaclyn and Bobby are coming to daddy and everybody” he struggles, and continues, “…for lunch, together daddy,” he explains.
“Don’t go anywhere, daddy,” he reminds his dad.
“All right Robert, I won’t go anywhere. I will be waiting.” Gibbs can hear Jaclyn dictating to Robert just what to say and he hears Joshua’s voice in the background, saying that his sister is bossy.

-------------------------------------

The Director of NCIS has been waiting for more than an hour. It has been two hours since his son called him, informing him that they are coming to the HQ, to have lunch with him and ‘everybody else’.
He has been pacing back and forth, calling Kate’s mobile and his home line with no success.

“Gibbs, stop pacing! You are giving me a headache,” Abby complains to her director. She heard that ‘the babies’ are coming and she would like to greet them in the lobby.

“Where are they?” Gibbs looks at his watch. Calling Kate’s mobile again, he looks at Abby, drinking her Caf Pow.
Abby shakes her head. “You look like an old tiger, waiting for…did I say old?”
Abby realizes what she just said as she receives a glare from Gibbs. “Sorry boss man” she murmurs. The techie decides to wait inside the HQ " her boss man is way too grumpy.

Gibbs is about to drive home when he notices Kate’s car arriving in the lot " he can see movement and excitement in the car. A few seconds later, he can see that Kate, Joshua and the dog are in the front seats while Jaclyn and Robert are in the back.

Kate parks her car near the entrance. Screams and barks can be heard from the lobby as Joshua with Killer Bean in his arms and Jaclyn jumps out of the car, the second it stopped.

Robert is NOT happy! He is the last one out, as the two and a half year old is still strapped in his ‘baby’ seat.
“What’s the holdup, Kate?” Gibbs asks his wife as she exits the car.
“Try pleasing three kids, each with a mind of their own and an overactive puppy, Jethro!” Kate looks at Gibbs incredulously.
“I want this, I want that, I don’t want this, I don’t want that. Oh my god! And your son is angry” Kate finishes her sentence.

Gibbs is about to ask her why the boy is angry but changes his mind as he opens the back door " he knows.
Robert is mad! He pouts and crosses his arms at the front of his chest.
“Bobby BIG BOY! Bobby don’t like this!” he tugs the strap that is holding him down, his face is red, he is definitely angry about the current seating arrangement.

“Robert, you are too young to sit on your own.” Case closed " no discussion, Gibbs decides.
“No!” Robert is cross.
Gibbs unstraps the kid. “C’mon, jump out of the car. Your cousins are already destroying your bullpen, c’mon.” The Director ignores his complaint.

Robert gets out of the car, still upset and the three of them enter the building, while McGee helps out with the food load.
“Grumpy pants, just like his dad!” Kate grumbles.
“I heard you, Kate,” Gibbs replies
“I know.” Kate retorts.

The security guard teases Robert, the angry looking imp. “Little Robert, what are you so mad about?”
“Bobby not little!!!” Robert stamps his feet in frustration " the man picked his sore spot.

That’s it, Kate has had enough. She pulls the boy aside, just a few feet away from his dad. The security guard and Gibbs can see Kate speaking sternly with the kid for a couple of minutes, until the kid nods and Kate hugs the boy before they walk back to Gibbs.

“You know what, Gibbs, I never once thought I would say this, but you have proven me wrong! YOU are soft!” The security guard says to the only director who brings his gun to work.

Gibbs just smirks. Never once in his life has he ever heard someone call him ‘soft’. Bastard and jerk, plenty of times, but not soft. He was a God damn Marine and soft is not in his dictionary.

“Daddy, pick Bobby up, please,” his son begs as he takes his hand and raises one of his feet, signaling that he wants to be in his arms " and Gibbs picks him up before they continue their walk to the bullpen.
-------------------------------------

The elevator doors open to the bullpen.

Jaclyn and Joshua are showing off Killer Bean to the guys in the bullpen. Robert forgets his anger when he sees his cousins and dog. He quickly slips down from his dad and joins the fun.
Jaclyn sees the opportunity to manipulate her uncle. She hugs Gibbs’s leg and looks up at him with her dopey eyes. “Jethro, can we eat at Chuck E Cheese’s tonight? Please, Jethro?”

Ducky and Tony are looking at the hard core Marine and witnesses the man melts in the little girl’s hand. Gibbs pats her head and says yes " no questions asked.

“Ducky, do you think that’s how ALL his ex-wives got him to marry them???” Tony tries to be funny, at the same time mocking Gibbs for his soft spot for children. But the ME doesn’t reply, instead he gets a sharp blow to the back of his head.

Lunch is fun, but the anticipation of dinner at the theme restaurant ‘Chuck E Cheese’s’ is even better.
Robert throws a fit when Kate wants him to take his nap. The kid bargains with his mother: No afternoon nap while his cousins are here and he will behave and they shake on the deal.

Abby is so excited about Chucky E Cheese that she gulps more Caf-Pow than usual. As a result, she talks faster, is more hyperactive and drinks even more Caf-Pow, and the kids love it! And so does Killer Bean.
After their chaotic lunch, Gibbs and the senior agents have their monthly meeting. So, the kids stay with Ducky and the man couldn’t be happier, even Palmer is having fun.

At a quarter past six, Gibbs and Kate go down to autopsy to picks up the children. She gasps in surprise as she sees the ‘scene’ as they enter the cold pristine room.

Three small bodies on three cold slabs - lying still.
Gibbs smirks and says: “They are pulling our legs, Kate”
“I know, but still, not funny!” Kate holds her stomach as she stares on the bodies. “If Jeremy sees this - he’ll flip, Jethro.”
The couple walks towards the three mischievous kids. Killer Bean lies underneath the slabs, wagging his tail.
Gibbs is standing in front of the slabs, with his arms crossed in front of his chest. Then he sees Robert’s nose twitch.

Then at the same time, he ‘attacks’ Jaclyn and Joshua, tickling their tummies " and they squirm and finally laugh. But Robert stays really still, just like he promised his cousins.
Kate raises her brow, as she looks at her son, then she looks at her husband and she grins mischievously! She has an idea.
She steps closer towards Robert’s slab. She rests her head on Robert’s feet and she starts sobbing. Calling Robert’s name over and over again, saying how sorry she is that she scolded him, took his candies away from him, and saying that she regrets spanking the boy. After her small sobs, she pretends to cry and hugs Robert’s body.

Kate stops her fake crying the second she feels the boy quiver under her, then she hears her boy's sobbing, not fake like hers. Seconds later when he starts bawling, Kate quickly stops her charade and picks him up to calm him down. Nobody teases the kid when he stops crying, even Trouble and Problem are shocked.
--------------------------------------

Abby, Tony and McGee are already waiting in front of the entrance.
Abby is all jumpy and excited with the prospect of Chucky E Cheese’s. Tony stops her from drinking any more of her Caf Pow, and she almost pounds on him.
The big group exits the HQ, on their way out they cause quite a scene, imagine:
One director, one pregnant woman, one extremely talkative ME, two bickering overactive children, one chubby toddler who wants to do everything and finally one over active puppy on the loose.

“What are you guys doing here? You should be home.” Gibbs meanly addresses Abby, Tony and McGee.
“AW GIBBS! We are joining you guys!” Abby retorts quickly.
“You guys are not invited.” Gibbs teases them while he takes the kids’ hands and walks towards their car, while the children hops all the way.
Abby looks horrified, but before she manages to beg or defend her case, Kate takes her hand. “Of course you are invited, Abby,” she reassures the goth, and they all make their way to the designated theme restaurant.
-------------------------------------------

Gang fight

Unfortunately, Killer Bean is not allowed in the facility. So, sadly, accompanied by McGee, Joshua picks up the dog and locks him in the car, leaving the window open just slightly.
When they enter the restaurant, Abby’s and Robert’s eyes shine with excitement and awe. Abby starts jumping in anticipation, still holding Robert’s hand as the kid exclaims, “WOW!!!” fascinated with the arcade.
When the time comes Joshua and Jaclyn act as their leaders. They feel very sorry for Abby and Robert who have never set foot in their favorite restaurant.

While the gang and little gangsters are roaming the area; Kate, Gibbs and Ducky pick the largest booth in the corner, slightly further away from the center of games and entertainment. Ducky beams, admiring the crazy environment, filled with overactive children, ‘unleashed’ by their exhausted parents, running around in every direction.
So, as Gibbs and Kate listen to Ducky’s non stop speech about cheese, milk and children’s growth. Tony, McGee, Abby, Robert, Joshua and Jaclyn are having the time of their life.

The kids make friends easily and fast. Most of the children in Chuck E Cheese’s are curious about their tattooed sitter. Most of the little girls love McGee more than Tony, but they love teasing Tony. They make their new goofy friend carry them to the slides and play pen.
While playing, Robert, Jaclyn and Joshua make separate trips to their ‘home base’ table, for drinks, all flushed and excited.
Special Agent DiNozzo gives up after half an hour, but Robert refuses to let him sit in the booth, finally exchanging Tony with his dad.
-----------------------------

Plates of pizza and soda finally arrive at their table. Ducky looks at them in awe, he has never seen such greasy, cheesy food in his entire life before. As Kate is about to call the children and fellow sitters to the booth, she sees the unexpected:
Three adults carrying three angry children, with their feet still dangling on the air and kicking.
“What’s wrong, guys?” Kate questions them.
“They had a fight.” McGee explains in between gasps of breath, he is carrying Joshua.
“What???” Kate almost screams in disbelief and she glares at the trio.
“Robert too???” She can’t believe it.
“Yes,” the three adults answer in unison, as Abby lowers Jaclyn and Gibbs lowers his son to the floor.
“He started it, Kate,” Gibbs starts to explains to his wife, but before he can explain any further, Abby cuts in.
“But it is not his fault, Kate!” Abby exclaims. She is afraid that Kate might spank him right on the spot, the woman is strict with the boy.

Finally, the boy expresses himself: “Bobby angry, mommy!”
Kate rolls her eyes in frustration. “Robert! You can’t even speak in full sentences yet and you already picked a fight???” she says incredulously.
Jaclyn intervenes. “It is not his fault, Aunt Katie.”
“Yeah!!!” Joshua adds, supporting his sister.
Jaclyn starts explaining, “There was THIS dwarf that made fun of Abby’s tattoo and hair and Robert asked him to stop!”
“But he didn’t!” Joshua adds furiously.
“…instead, he teased Robert too!” Jaclyn continues angrily.
“And Bobby got mad!” Joshua concludes.
“And Robert kicked the boy’s shin!” Abby claps her hands excitedly and stops the second Kate glares at her.
“Yeah, Robert kicked the dwarf.” Joshua says rather smugly, forgetting that he is supposed to defend Robert, not being smug about the incident.
“And his friends PUSHED Bobby!!!” Jaclyn expresses her displeasure.
“SO, we pushed them back!” Joshua wipes his sweat with his arms.
“And WHAM! Bobby kicked him again!” Jaclyn smacks her fist into her other hand. She is so proud of her cousin.
“Yes mommy! WHAM!” the perpetrator finally explains to his beloved mother, as he kicks his foot to show what he did.

Before Kate can say anything, Abby hugs her favorite boy and kisses him all over his ruddy face. “Thank you, Robert, thank you for protecting me. No man has ever done that for me!”
Robert doesn’t really understand, but he just puffs his chest slightly and says: “OK Abby.”
Tony murmurs to himself: “Kids are scary,” and Ducky laughs at the top of his voice.
Kate couldn’t believe the reaction. “Aren’t you going to say anything, guys? Jethro? Ducky?”
“Say what, Kate?” he slowly hugs his displeased wife, pulling her aside.
Ducky intervenes: “If we hear the story from all the witnesses, it is not his fault, Caitlin.” Ducky says as he is still mesmerized by the very cheesy pizza on the table and the children’s' antics.

Then the kids realized that they are very hungry and the food has arrived.
“Bobby hungry, mommy.” He tugs his mother’s hand, looking up at her with his innocent eyes.
A few minutes later:
The kids eat with gusto. So do the adults - except Kate, who is just staring at the guys eating the very greasy food in delight and covers her mouth with one hand.
“Kate, Gibbs, we should come here more often.” Abby said to the decision makers.
“Mom and dad refuse to take us to Chuck E Cheese’s,” Joshua complains.
“Yeah, it is because Joshua puked all over himself,” Miss Nosy adds.
“You puked too!”
“No, I didn’t.”
“Guys,” Gibbs warns them " gently.

Then, Robert realizes that his mother is not eating. “Mommy, not eating?” he asks as he pulls the cheese off of his pizza for his mother. Kate has no choice but to swallow the cheese and thank her son.
“Bobby likes ‘chuckcheese’, daddy,” Robert declares to his father who is sitting beside him.
“OK, we can come again, some other time.” Gibbs nods at him. Ducky notices that his old bastard friend hardly ever says no to the boy. The old ME wonders what kind of antics the children can produce.
------------------------------------------

-Tbc-nova2007-BETA (MV)
Chapter End Notes:
Finally, after a long hiatus.
I hope you guys still enjoy my family Kibbs