- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Who would think one undercover op could go so wrong? When an NCIS and FBI Agent are killed in the line of duty two very different worlds collide. Crossover with Numb3ers.
Disclaimer: I don't own NCIS or Num3ers. They are property of their creators and CBS. No money is made from this it is purely for enjoyment purposes. No infringement of copyright intended. The song Amazed belongs to lonestar and its composers.

Chapter one:

From the looks of the elegant ballroom in downtown LA it seemed to cater to the upper class. Caitlin Todd despised places like this having been subjected to these types of events since she was eight she had more than her fill. She never felt like she belonged. Especially since she was undercover -with DiNozzo and a recent transfer from a NCIS Subordinate office in Los Angeles, CA – Christina ‘Kristy' Madison- who had been lucky enough to have previous dance training- along with her ex-professional dance partner Toby Everson - as ballroom dancers. Tony had taken great pleasure in torturing her because of the fringed dress she wore and promised herself she would never dance the Mambo ever again.

She had actually had to learn the dances from Christina and Toby that was painful to say the least. DiNozzo unfortunately was a natural having already had known how to Salsa he had a leg up on her and he never missed an opportunity to rub it in. Looking up at the gold chandelier the light began to dim and the band began to play.

Every time our eyes meet

This feeling inside me

Is almost more than I can take

Baby when you touch me

I can feel how much you love me

And it just blows me away

I've never been this close to anyone or anything

I can hear your thoughts

I can see your dreams

Christina and Toby moved across the polished wood floor with ease. Ever since she had learned the dances the Rumba had been her favorite but with the difficulty of the choreography she was more than happy to let the to professionals handle this particular dance. The room was totally silent except for the music the audience was enthralled in the romantic dance. If she hadn't known better she would have assumed that Toby and Christina were lovers she had even thought it at first until she found out Toby was basically like her older brother.

The light blue fabric of Christina's dress almost looked like water as it fluttered. She jumped when a hand fell on her shoulder and rolled her eyes when she saw a smirking DiNozzo. "They're great together." He spoke softly sending a shiver down her spine and nodded mutely not trusting her voice.

I don't know how you do what you do

I'm so in love with you

It just keeps getting better

I want to spend the rest of my life

With you by my side

Forever and ever

Every little thing that you do

Baby, I'm amazed by you

The smell of your skin…

Scanning the room she looked for their suspect. Petty Officer Marcus Matthews seemed fixated on the dancers. His eyes dancing with lust his date didn't seem to notice. She had been informed by the club owner that this was the annual charity event he threw in order to raise money for the local free clinics. Still she wondered why Gibbs wanted them to go through undercover work instead of just walking in an apprehending him. Gibbs knew something and yet again he wasn't sharing.

As soon as this dance finished they would move in but something was wrong she could feel it. The final strings of the music ended and Christina latched her left leg around Toby her other leg going threw his parted ones and he dipped her down. Applause thundered through the room and Toby placed Christina back on her feet. Her hand slipped to the gun holder on her thigh and grabbed her badge.

Tony and Kate quickly pulled their own as Toby quickly the floor. Squeals of surprise flowed through the room before the guest started to take cover.

"NCIS!" Christina yelled inching toward the grinning suspect.

"NCIS! Marcus Matthews you're under arrest for the murder of Corporal Rachel Gains." Tony shouted as he joined Christina on the floor while Kate held her gun steady looking for any other threats. Gibbs, McGee, and Rogers- an agent on loan from George Perry's team were coming out of the backroom guns drawn.

"Get on the ground!" Christina added as she approached him from behind. Holstering her gun she caught the cuffs Tony tossed to her.

"You have the right to remain silent, which I highly recommend; you have the right to an attorney if you can not afford one; one will be provided for you. Do you understand these rights?" she recited his Miranda rights before slapping the cuffs on him and took his snort as confirmation.

Suddenly the once silent room was filled by gun fire echoed through it reverberating against the walls. Now everyone was taking cover under tables behind columns anywhere to prevent a bullet from striking them. Gibbs was rushing foreword toward Christina and Tony. McGee gulped as he crouched down over Marcus Matthews bleeding body. Pressing his fingers to the man's neck desperately searching for a pulse. Cursing under his breath when he couldn't locate one, Gibbs was going to be pissed.

Glass shattered wood cracked as the seemingly invisible assailant rain gunfire down on the room. Terrified screams echoed through the ballroom. Kate cursed darkly as she leaned her back against one of the columns. The cold plaster chilled her bare back. Peaking around the column she scanned the area for the shooter. Where the hell was this son-of-a-bitch?


----------------------------------------------------------------
Christina grumped as she crawled across the floor in her dress. Passing a group of people she offered them a few comforting words. She jumped when a bullet struck the wall just above her head. She was going to slaughter Gibbs for this. Spotting an older gentleman crouched in a corner she crawled toward him. Even from where she was she could see the man's hands trembling.

"Sir, I'm Christina Madison. Are you okay?" she questioned as she using her body to shield him. He lifted his frightened eyes to hers and nodded softly.

"Alan Eppes." He replied softly Christina nodded and smiled even though he didn't recognize her after all it had been four years.

"Is anyone here with you?" she questioned as she smoothed a hand up his arm trying to comfort him.

"My son Charlie he- he went to the bathroom." He voice broke and Christina nodded.

"Good he's safer there." When he said nothing else she continued.

"Look I promise you that you and your son going to be okay." She reasoned placing her small hand over his. He only nodded in reply his eyes scanning the room. Pools of crimson colored blood stained the floor. He prayed Charlie was safe in the bathroom. She gasped as a burning pain tore through her left arm. Clear her throat she tried to push the pain out of her mind.

"Oh my God your injured!" Alan cried softly.

"I'm okay just give me your tie." She replied. Alan quickly undid the knot and handed her the blue silk fabric. Setting her phone and gun down she used her teeth to tie it around her wound. Thankfully the bullet didn't exit her arm or it would have struck Alan in the chest. Oh well looked like Ducky would be digging this out of her arm later.


----------------------------------------------------------------
Tony jumped when his cell phone vibrated in his pocket. Pulling the small object out he looked down at the LCD screen. Gibbs

"Gibbs where the hell are you?" he asked.

"Basement." Tony frowned.

"Why are you there? Gibbs?"

"I'm cutting the power to see..."

"If we can se a muzzle flash. I tell McGee, Kate, and Kristy." he before snapping the phone shut.

"Kate, Gibbs is cutting the power watch for a muzzle flash! Yell if you see anything." he cried so the three agents could hear her.

Kate waited until the lights flickered off before moving from behind the pillar. Blinking a few times she let her eyes adjust to the darkness. Suddenly the room was silent. The hairs on the back of her neck stood on end. Soft whimpers of fear could be heard along with the crunch of glass.

"DiNozzo? Kate? Kristy?" Tim questioned softly.

"Tim over here." She whispered. Suddenly a shot fired followed by the shot of a 9mm. Tim shoved her the ground before dropping down beside her.

"He's in the balcony!" Tony shouted as he scrambled toward the door his gun already in hand. Kate followed close behind with McGee on her heels.

Christina quickly drew her own weapon before slowly standing.

"Alan press two and tell Gibbs to hit the lights." She whispered before she to bolted for the door.

………………….

Anthony DiNozzo was not easily angered but at the moment he wanted to kill the bastard responsible. He glanced up when the lights flickered on. Continuing up the carpeted stairs his hands clenching around the gun. Kate, McGee, and Christina were a few steps behind him. As he was the senior field agent he called the shots when Gibbs was otherwise occupied.

Using the gun he gestured for Kate to take the left balcony him from the right McGee the left and Christina was left to cover him as he entered the unknown. Sliding the burgundy velvet curtain and sighed peaked in.

"Clear." He called.

"Clear." Kate called.

"Clear." McGee's voice followed.

"I've got something." Christina said coming onto the balcony with him.

"What?" he demanded.

"Blood, looks like you hit him." She answered pointing to the small puddle. Tony nodded grimly and grumped "To bad I didn't kill the bastard." Before drawing in a deep breath.

"McGee, Kate, and I will clear the building. You get the victims outside." He said pivoting on his heel and leaving her on the balcony.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Charlie Eppes was a nervous wreak as he hugged his knees to his chest. He had heard the gun fire and had stayed put. Not out of caution but out of pure unbridled fear. His heart was hammering against his ribs his stomach in knots. What if his father was dead? Shaking his head swiftly he tried to push those thoughts from his mind. Glancing down at his watch he noted that he had been huddled in the same corner for almost an hour an a half.

Tears tumbled freely down his face as he swayed back and forth in a soothing motion. He froze when the door opened slowly and a gun wielding hands came into view followed by a man dressed in a tight shirt and pants. He had been one of the dancers. The man spotted him and moved toward him.

"I'm Tony DiNozzo; NCIS. Are you okay sir?" he questioned holding his badge out to Charlie.

"Di- did you catch him?" he questioned. Tony sighed and shook his head sadly.

"No, but are you okay?" Tony asked crouching down in front of the man.

"I'm fine. I have to go find my father." Charlie stated climbing to his feet.

"Hold up, everyone is out side. He should be out there." Charlie nodded curtly before leaving the restroom. Tony sighed and combed a hand through his hair Gibbs was going to pitch a fit.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The warm California air surrounded him as he exited the club his brown eyes scanning the crowd before him. Two ambulances blocked the street the lights flashing and reflecting off the windows of the hotel across the street. Panic began to bubble through him. His eyes took in the disheveled crying victims some had blood smeared across their faces others were shaking from fright.

It was almost like an out of body experience. Everything seemed to move in slow motion. He could see people's mouth's moving forming words that he didn't hear. He didn't notice the concerned looks the paramedics shoot his as he moved through the crowd. As he passed on of the ambulances someone called his name. He could hear it but he just couldn't comprehend it at the moment.

He paused in the center of the crowd still searching for his father's face. He didn't even feel the hand that fell on his shoulder. When he wouldn't answer said person they shook him snapping him out of his revere. His eyes watered as he came face to face with his father. He quickly pulled the older man into a hug before stepping back for the first time noticing his father's appearance. His tie was gone dry blood was peppered across his midnight blue shirt. Alan saw Charlie tense and patted his shoulder reassuringly.

"It's not mine." He murmured and watched as the tension drained from his son's face leaving only blatant fear in its wake.

"Who's is it?" he questioned softly as his father began to lead him toward a free paramedic.

"An agent protected me. Sweet girl, although she did look vaguely familiar." Alan frowned in thought trying to place the girl's face. Charlie nodded and pulled a hand through his sweaty hair. Noticing his frown he stopped walking causing his father to pause in confusion.

"What was her name?" Charlie questioned.

"Christina Madison." He answered his frowned deepened when Charlie's face mirrored shock and surprise.

"What did she look like?"

"About five foot three, short brown hair and green eyes why?" Alan questioned narrowing his eyes at his youngest son.

"Dad, that's Larry's niece." He finally answered.


----------------------------------------------------------------
Leroy Jethro Gibbs was beyond pissed. He was livid. Murphy's Law had been in effect big time. They had not only lost Special Agent Richard Roger's in the gun battle, but Petty Officer Marcus Matthews, and an unidentified man. Not only that but he also had two injured Agent's. Kristy had a bullet lodged in her arm while McGee had suffered a scratch on his forehead from flying debris.

Thankfully Ducky had taken some vacation time to accompany them out here. As now his medical training certainly came in handy as he bickered with Kristy. Apparently Ducky did not want to dig the bullet out of her arm and instead send her to the hospital. To which the young agent vehemently objected. Not that he blamed her they were in the middle of a new case.

Tony was busy occupying himself doing the crime scene sketch while Kate snapped numerous photos. McGee now donning a stark white bandage around his head sat on one of the bar stools. Letting out a frustrated growl he turned his icy gaze on the younger agent.

"McGee!" he shouted causing the younger agent to sputter and launch out of his seat.

"Y-Yea, boss." He stuttered.

"Shouldn't you be doing something?" Gibbs growled crossing his arms across his chest.

"Right boss I'll go collect statements." McGee nodded and quickly fled the ballroom desperate to put some distance between him and his angered boss.

Tony chuckled softly until Gibbs turned his glare on him. Gulping he quickly snapped his jaw shut and went back to his work. Kate smirked but unlike DiNozzo she had the sense to hide her amusement from Gibbs.

"Ducky, just dig the little bastard out!" Kristy growled at the older man causing the three agents in the room to look at her.

"What?" she snapped after noticing their stares. Tony once again snapped back to work and Gibbs chuckled softly.

"Duck, just dig the damn thing out." Gibbs groused and Ducky glowered.

"Jethro…" he began but Gibbs held a hand up to silence further protest.

"I need all the agent's I have, Duck." Gibbs argued and Ducky sighed in defeat and grabbed the tools he would need from his bag and unwounded the blue tie from the wound.

After having stopped the tiff that had been growing between agent and coroner he walked toward the body on the far end of the room. Pulling on his gloves he crouched down over the man. His once crisp white dress shirt was not saturated with crimson blood. Shaking his head sadly he frowned when something caught his eye. Pulling back the suit jacket he cursed. There hocked around his belt was a small gold badge that identified him as FBI.

He was distracted when a howl of pain echoed throughout the room. Glancing over his shoulder he noted that it was only Kristy. While he felt for his agent he had bigger problems to attend too. They were about to be in the middle of a turf war. Woopdie freakin' doo.


----------------------------------------------------------------"Could you be a bit more gentle with that thing?" Kristy hissed as Ducky maneuvered the metal object around her arm. Grumbling a bit under his breath he exclaimed "Eureka!"

"I take that means you found it?" Kristy remarked dryly. The elder man chuckled at the young woman's sarcasm.

"You think correct Christina!" he replied happily as he snatched an evidence bag from his satchel and dropped the bloody bullet inside.

"So are you going to stitch it or wrap it?" Kristy questioned happy to finally have the bullet out of her arm.

"Both." Ducky concluded after closer examination the wound. Kristy just shrugged and focused her eyes at her boss. His face was contorted in fury as he stalked toward her. Wonderful just what she needed now.

"What's wrong?" she asked carefully and bit her lip when Ducky began to stitch her wound.

"DiNozzo, Todd!" Gibbs shouted and the two agents quickly abandoned their work and hurried over to their irate boss.

"What's up boss?" Tony questioned as he rocked back and forth on the balls of his feet.

"The third body is FBI." He grossed.

"Shit." Kate muttered and pulled off her gloved with a snap and rubbed a hand across her face.

"Not only that but were going to have to battle NCISRA for the case as well." Kristy interjected.

"Wonderful." Tony muttered lamely.

"Looks like were out of time." Kate stated pointing to the doors of the ballroom. McGee was crossing toward them his face displaying his agitation and annoyance.

"Gibbs, I tried to keep them out." McGee offered and Gibbs just shook his head.

"Wait, that's Michael Patters. He was my boss when I worked out here. Let me talk to him." Kristy stated looking up at Gibbs who simply shrugged. Normally he would have objected and taken care of it himself but he had a bigger battle coming up with the friendly neighborhood FBI.

She waited for Ducky to secure her bandage before jumping off the stool and heading toward her former boss and by the look of his face this was not going to be an easy battle.


----------------------------------------------------------------
After McGee exited the building again he was greeted by two men in suits. Normally Timothy McGee was an even tempered man. Right now he was not in the mode to deal with these people.

"Can I help you?" he asked through clenched teeth. He bit back a groan when they flashed their badges at him. FBI. Great just what Gibbs needed he was already on edge this would surely send him over. So maybe this time he could try dissolve the situation.

"What do you need?" he asked sharply. He bit back a curse when the two men glared at him. Ha if they thought that intimidated him they were in for a rude surprise. After three years of Gibbs' deadly stares this was nothing.

"Look Agent…" he trailed off.

"Special Agent's Colby Granger and David Sinclair." The man filled in.

"That's nice but this is an NCIS investigation. Your presence is not need or required." He stated stiffly.

"We have a dead agent in there." Colby hissed stepping toward him. To McGee's credit he held his own and cocked an amused eyebrow.

"As do we." Tim snapped.

"Yes, you have are sympathy but this trumps you." David stated softly trying to diffuse the situation, but only succeeded in adding fuel to the fire.

"Oh pardon me for thinking that the life of our Agent is just a valuable." Tim countered.

"My apologies that came out wrong." David stated already feeling the on comings of a migraine.

"Well you'll have to deal with my boss." McGee stated stepping out of the way.

"I hope you have all your affairs in order." Tim muttered as he headed back toward the crowd.


----------------------------------------------------------------
"Well look at what the cat dragged in." Michael smirked when Kristy stopped in front of him.

"Nice to see you again." She smiled and nodded at the two agents she didn't recognize.

"So what do I owe the pleasure of this reunion?" Mike smirked and let his eyes travel over her body.

"Look lets not beat around the preverbal bush. This is our case." She stated gone was the smile and in its place a mask of indifference. Mike sighed he had really hoped that this would have gone better. Some things never changed and Christina Madison was one of those things. She didn't like small talk and never participated in it when it could be avoided. She was nothing if not honest even bluntly so it was one of the traits that drew him to her. Even though their relationship had ended he still had a high level of respect for the woman. She was a damn good agent and an even better physiologist. Her training with the BAU had only enhanced that.

"Kristy, this crime was committed in our jurisdiction we have every right to take point on this case." He argued.

"Yes, unhappy as I am you do, but I was hoping you would do me this favor." She answered her face was pinched with distain.

"That look liked it hurt." He remarked dryly Kristy hated asking for help especially from her ex-boyfriend.

"Mike." She growled her patients wearing thin.

"Fine, as a friend I'll smooth this over with the director." He replied hoping it would bring the smile back to her face, but she only nodded and offered a polite thank you before pivoting on her stiletto heel and stalking away.


----------------------------------------------------------------
Gibbs looked up as Kristy stalked toward him pulling a pair of purple rubber gloves she had taken from Ducky's bag. Her heels clipping out a sharp staccato as she walked across the polished floor.

"Well?" he questioned and she rolled her eyes.

"Problem taken care of." Gibbs nodded as Kristy took a sample from the blood pool surrounding the victim.

"Spoke to soon." Kristy grumbled when her attention was drawn to the doorway. Gibbs looked over his shoulder and cursed before stripping off his gloves and stalking across the floor. Leaving Kristy to severally pity the two unsuspecting men. Maybe it was time to go help McGee and get as far away from the war zone as possible. Quickly stalking past the three men currently engaged in a testosterone take down she head for the door. Until a certain man caught her eye.

"I'll be damned." She muttered drawing confused stairs from the three men.

"Ignore me just thinking out loud." She lied and continued toward the door. The last thing she wanted was interfere in Gibbs' war.