- Text Size +
Sorry the last part was a bit boring. I blame sleep deprivation. LOL.

Chapter 4:

Tony sighed as he grabbed his coffee cup from the table and glared back at the screen. The tapes so far had been useless unless the cause of the shooting was the Mambo he and Kate had performed which could be entirely possible.

"This is useless." He moaned and let his head lull to the side. McGee shrugged almost imperceptibly as he continued to watch the screen.

"Come on McGeek we've watched this five times why would this time be any different?" Tony continued his rant as he began to count the ceiling tiles.

"Because Tony I just found something." McGee stated as he froze the screen and zoomed in toward one of the darkened corners. Tony sat upright in his chair and looked closely at the monitor. Granted the image was grainy and a bit distorted but it was a start.

"We're good." Tony grinned but only to frown when McGee snorted.

"Can we clear the picture up any?" Tony questioned as he side eyed McGee. McGee nodded "It'll take some time though." He replied finally.

"Well get to it Probie. I'll brief Gibbs." Tony stated as he all but ran from the room but Tim was too enthralled with the task at hand to take notice.

……………

Kate sighed as she scanned the document. Petty Officer Matthews just seemed to make friends everywhere he went. From his two week stint in the brig for fighting to the murder of Corporal Rachel Gains. Along with being investigated for a book making scheme which he had later been acquitted of.

Sitting back in her seat she shifted uncomfortably her legs were freezing in this get-up. She glanced across the workspace when she heard mumbled curses; Kristy who was leaning close to the screen as she inspected the photos was muttering under her breath as she scanned the pictures and scribbled something on a legal pad. For what she wasn't sure but it probably served a purpose. Glancing back at her own work she continued to skim paragraph after paragraph of useless information. She didn't want his life story just the victims of his schemes and anyone else whom may have had a grudge, but could she find that no that would be way too easy.

Grumbling she continued to the final paragraph. She muffled a curse when she yet again found nothing.

"Nothing I take it?" Kristy questioned never looking away from the computer screen.

"Nope. How about you find anything interesting?" she questioned and Kristy shrugged and looked up as Gibbs reappeared.

"You done with the profile?" he asked as he lounged one leg on the desk. She sat back in her seat and set the legal pad on her lap and rocked back and forth gently as she tapped her pen against the yellow paper.

"It seems to me anyway that this seems like an opportunity killing. The unsub was deliberate he had the opportunity and took it. Neat relatively clean bullet right to the chest from the stippling it looks like relatively close range. This was no accident someone was may have been stalking Matthews much like a lion would hunt its prey. He keeps him in his sights at all time and wait for the opportune moment to strike." She explained.

Gibbs sighed "Will they strike again?"

"It's hard to say I don't have much to go on. As it is I had to go with my instincts on this." She argued.

"What does your gut tell you?" he questioned cocking an inquisitive eyebrow.

"If I go with my gut…yes." She answered and drug a hand through her hair and stood.

"I better go check on my uncle make sure he hasn't driven Charlie and Alan insane." She smirked as she left and headed for the break room and Tony appeared from around the corner.

"Boss, McGee and I found something on the tapes. A man that was seated a table behind Petty Officer Matthews drew a gun. McGee's enchasing the image now." Tony explained as he scratched the back of his neck. Gibbs nodded pleased with the progress however small it was.

"Kate, anything in his files?" he questioned as he shrugged out of his suit jacket and tossed it on the chair.

"No, unless you want to know his favorite restaurant." She quipped and twirled a piece of her hair.

"Alright go fill in the Fed." Gibbs ordered as he pulled out his phone. Dutifully the two agents scampered off muttering what distinctively sounded like ‘bastard' under their breaths.


----------------------------------------------------------------
"Larry calm down." Charlie sighed as he watched his friend and colleague pace the length of the small room before pivoting on his heel and starting again. Don quickly left after fixing himself some coffee.

"Calm down? Calm down! My niece was shot, Charles!" he cried in outrage his arms flaring about as he went. He was so enthralled with his rant he didn't notice Kristy's appearance in the doorway. Although Alan and Charlie did Alan smiled softly at her while Charlie's eyes were more focused on her scantly clad stomach. Her sigh was soft as she shouldered away from the door frame.

"Uncle Larry." She said a small smile playing on her lips. Larry abruptly stopped mid rant and smiled sheepishly.

"You heard what I said huh?" he questioned and Kristy scoffed.

"Atlantic City heard you." She snipped but smiled despite herself. Larry sighed loudly and flopped down in the chair he vacated minuets prior.

"Uncle Larry listen to me…" she started as she sat down next to Charlie and grasped her Uncle's hand.

"You can't protect me anymore. I'm a big girl I've been taking care of myself for a long time." Larry nodded his eyes glistening with unshed tears.

"I know but after what happened to your mom…." He began but Kristy quickly drew her hand back as if he had burned her with a lit match.

"That's not the issue here." She argued as she stood abruptly almost causing the chair to topple backward. Larry cursed softly at his mistake he knew better than to bring up his sister and brother-in-law. That was a wound that would probably never heal for his young niece.

"Look I have work to do…ohm…ugh…we'll talk later." She stumbled as she fled the room.

"What was that about?" Alan questioned his eyes wide with the young woman's sudden change in emotions.


----------------------------------------------------------------
Abby Scioto was practically bouncing with excitement as she, Director Sheppard, and Ziva entered the FBI field office. The marble floors gleamed under the florescent light. A few potted plats were scattered around the open space. A rounded desk was tucked into the far corner of the room near a bank of elevators. She cocked her head to the side when she spotted Toby Everson arguing with the security guard. Director Sheppard was already halfway across the lobby and quickly followed after her.

Abby smiled and gave a small wave at the angered dancer. He offered a small smiled and readjusted the two bags he was holding.

"Sir, I'm NCIS Director Jennifer Sheppard, this Abby Sciuto, and Officer David." She stated with a thin smile. The security guard glanced down at the clipboard and nodded.

"Yes, Agent Eppes told me to expect you." He answered and dug around a desk drawer and withdrew the visitor's passes and extended them toward the red head.

"Your Agent's are on the third floor." He directed. Jenny nodded her thanks and strode toward the elevators with Ziva behind her.

"Abby can you give these to Kate and Kristy. I doubt they want to stay in those dresses all night." Toby said as e handed over the two plastic handle bags. Smiling she nodded her head her pigtails bobbing.

"Thanks Abbs." He smiled and stepped out of her way. Readjusting the bags she hurried into the elevator before it closed.


----------------------------------------------------------------
Kate Todd yawned and nodded at David and Colby as they collapsed in their chairs. It was obvious that notifying the ex had not gone well. She knew form pervious experience that it was one of the hardest things in the world to sit there and watch a person's world collapse around them. It was something that tore at your soul and the only time it stopped aching for her anyway was when they caught the person responsible.

Don and Gibbs had headed down to the Medical Examiner's office to get the results of the autopsy and to collect the bullets that were still in the bodies. She couldn't even imagine what Roger's family was going through. Director Sheppard was supposed to have contacted the family before she flew out here. She did not envy the director in the slightest. She smirked when she noticed Ziva almost crawling toward the cubicles. God help the person who pissed of the former Mossad Agent.

"Hey Ziva, feeling any better?" she questioned and Ziva just glared at her.

"I'll take that as a no." she muttered and bit back a chuckle when Abby practically bounced into the bullpen two bags in hand.

"Hi Abbs, Director Sheppard." Kate greeted.

"Agent Todd." Jenny nodded and looked around and frowned.

"Where's Jethro?" she questioned.

"Autopsy." Kate answered as she eyed the plastic handle bags.

"Nice dress, Kate." Abby smirked and Kate rolled her eyes.

"What's in the bags?" Kate questioned trying to peak into the bag.

"Toby thought you might want something to change into." Abby chuckled when Kate instantly brightened.

"Gimme!" Kate all but lunged for the bag.

"I don't which is which." Abby stated as she handed the bags over. Kate ignored the rest of the occupants in the room and grabbed the bag containing her clothes and headed for the ladies room passing Tony and Kristy as she went.

"Hi Director Sheppard, Abbs." Tony smiled at the two women and Abby latched on to his neck and gave him a tight hug.

"I'm so glad your both alright!" Abby exclaimed as she hugged both Kristy and Tony at the same time. Kristy hissed in pain and Abby automatically let go and noticed the bandage for the first time.

"What happened to you?" Abby demanded of the younger woman she thought of as a sister.

"What do you think?" Kristy chuckled and Abby scowled.

"Are you okay?"

"Fine Abbs." Kristy smirked as she glanced down at the bag.

"What's in that?" she questioned.

"Change of clothes." Abby answered and chuckled when Tony moaned in protest.

"But I like the view!" Tony whined but stopped abruptly when he remembered the director's presence and Kristy walked past them.

"Is McGee okay?" Abby asked her voice barely above a whisper. Tony smiled softly and nodded. "He's fine a cut on his forehead but fine." He answered and Abby sagged in relief.

Tony sighed and glanced over at David and Colby.

"Oh right. Director Sheppard, Ziva, Abbs…this is David Sinclair and Colby Granger." Tony introduced and glanced over at Ziva when she sneezed loudly.

"Pleasure." Jenny smiled Abby on the other hand flounced over and offered her hand.

"Abby Sciuto, Forensic Expert." She beamed and David chuckled.

"David." He replied and Abby moved on to the next man.

"Nice to meet you." Colby answered.


----------------------------------------------------------------
Gibbs sighed wearily as he glanced down at the body of one of their agents. The Medical Examiner seemed to welcome Ducky with open arms considering the two were swapping stories as they worked. Ducky was currently retrieving a bullet from Petty Officer Matthews while James Cody worked on the FBI agent.

COD was relatively simple all they needed now was the bullets to run through the data base and see if they got lucky. If not they could do a ballistics match as soon as they found a suspect. Gibbs shot a side long glance at Don Eppes the younger man was staring at his fallen comrade. He knew the feeling and he sympathized.

"Well Duck?" he questioned. Ducky walked over an evidence bag in hand.

"Looks like a nine millimeter." Ducky answered as he handed over the bag.

"And the others?" Don questioned.

"Forty caliber." James chimed in handing over four bags holding the bullets he had extracted from the FBI and NCIS agents. Someone was going to pay for this he'd make sure of it.