- Text Size +
Chapter 5:

Alan Eppes sighed as he entered the home he shared with his son. It was good to be home. For the first time in his life he had been worried that it would be the last time he walked through the front door. The last time he would have to fix the furnace. Never see his sons again. It truly was amazing what ran through a person's head when their life was threatened. Charlie and Larry followed close behind and closed the door soundly behind them.

His eyes landed on the framed photo on the wall. Margaret's smiling face she had watched over him tonight. She had sent someone to protect him. Charlie would say he was crazy but Alan knew better. He believed that there were some things that could not be explained by math and science. Collapsing into his chair he ignored Larry as he droned on about black holes. Closing his eyes he sucked in a deep breath as a wave a fatigue hit him.

He cracked his eyes open when he heard the back door slam. Without even looking he knew Charlie was headed out to the garage. It was how he dealt with things. He would work on an unsolvable problem until something finally got through to him. Larry had no doubt followed him out trying to offer some words of wisdom.

Pushing himself up from his seat he rubbed at his eyes and headed up the stairs. All he wanted to do was take a shower and curl up in bed and sleep. The day's events had taken a toll on him. Unlike his sons traumatic events made him tired not wired. Gripping the banister he walked up the remaining steps and paused on the landing to stretch out his back before moving into his room.

Pulling open the walnut drawer of his dresser he pulled out a pair out sweat pants and an old CalSci t-shirt before walking into his adjoining bathroom. Dropping his clothes onto the hamper he turned the faucet knobs to the correct temperature before turning on the shower head and tossing his stained clothing in the small garbage can and stepped under the warm spray.

After a quick shower he slipped into his nightwear and padded out of the steam filled room. Tossing back the comforter and sheet he crawled under the covers and sighed in bliss. A couple hours of sleep and he would be good as new unlike Charlie. Charlie lived in his own world that had rarely been touched by violence and when the two interceded his brain couldn't process the trauma. Which he figured was partly his fault for not exposing him slightly to the real world, but now it seemed the real world was making his presence known. Plus his work with Don he was on a crash course with life, but in the end Charlie would survive and be stronger for it.

…………………………..

For the most part Larry Fleinhardt's day had not been optimum. He only found out his niece was in town after an undercover assignment had gone bad and she had been injured. He still wouldn't have known if Charles hadn't called him. Not that he wasn't immensely grateful he was, but he had never felt such fear in his life. Well except when Megan had told him she was pregnant although that was followed by overwhelming joy. Now as he watched Charles scribbling furiously across the rows of green chalkboards he wished he was an expert in psychology.

Maybe then he would know what to say to the young genius and it didn't help that Amita was visiting her family and was virtually unreachable. As of late she had been very well versed and knew all the secrets to the psyche of Charles Edward Eppes. So the only thing he could do now was sit by and watch him react the only way he knew how. For some reason he had it in his head that problems should be dealt with internally and not sharing it with others. Where he got that notion he wasn't entirely sure.

Flopping down on the couch he let his eye close. He knew for a fact Megan wouldn't be home tonight. Since she had been put on desk work she liked to stick around in case she was needed. Plus he was glad that she was around to watch over his niece. Kristy and Megan had gotten along famously since they first meet. They seemed to have developed a sisterly bond.

Since Kristy sister Laura was currently in Iraq she needed someone to confide in. Even though Laura and Kristy were as different as night and day they still had a strong bond of friendship. Laura had always been Kristy's protector since she was a prodigy she forced her into normal activities. Like ballroom dancing. His basement was currently piled full of her trophies that she had won over various competitions.

Sighing he rubbed a hand over his burning eyes. Right now all he wanted was to go home and sleep but he knew if he did he knew Charles would forget about food and sleep. He shook his head sadly as Charlie moved to a fresh board. He knew he could talk until he was blue in the face and it would do no good. If need be he could always have Megan sit him down and have a talk with him. With her current hormones she didn't take no for an answer. She would break him down and make him talk if she had to twist his wrist behind his back until it snapped.

That was why he was especially careful around her he never said anything that was synonymous or could be construed as heavy or big. He had learned that from a previous mistake. She had made him sleep in his car that night saying he didn't deserve the couch. Two dozen roses and lots of chocolates had got him back into the house and her good graces. Yawning he swung his legs onto the couch and grabbed a stray pillow and shoved it under his head.

As long as he was present he would be able to hear what was going on. He was an exceptionally light sleeper so if Charles so much a sneezed he would be aware.

…………………………

Tim McGee was tired. His eyes were burning from staring at the computer screen. The image enhancement was nearly done. Then maybe he could sleep. Abby had been there until Don had put her to work in the DNA lab as had Gibbs until she summoned to her new lair. Now he had Director Sheppard occupying the chair next to him. Apparently she decided to join him to keep him company but the only thing she was doing was making him increasingly nervous.

She was constantly looking over his shoulder which was seriously gnawing at his nerves. Gibbs usually just bitched at him until the results came in. Which was surprisingly motivating but this was ridicules. It wasn't like he had never worked with security footage before. While Tony still insisted on calling him Probie but he was not new to this. He had been working under Gibbs for close to three years even Gibbs didn't hover anymore. He had confidence in his work. He couldn't say the same for the director. Now he was beginning to wonder if one of the Feds had sanctioned her here to keep her out of their hair.

"Will the quality get any better?" she questioned. Biting back a curse he knew it was a logical question but Tony and Gibbs had already asked him that. Didn't anyone talk anymore?

"It's only seventy percent done. So yes it should be better but it won't be perfect." He answered surprised with how surprised by how calm his tone was. Add on his lack of sleep and he was practically close to snapping. When he got tired he got snappy although he had to be pretty damn tired for that to occur. Then again with everything that had occurred he had no doubts as to why he was exhausted. Then again the hovering red head also had something to do with it.

……………….

"What have you got?" Don questioned as he entered the DNA lab. Abby Sciuto turned to face him and smiled. Gibbs was already there leaning against one of the desk a sour expression on his face.

"I ran the blood sample from the balcony and got a hit…." Abby started as she spun in her chair to face the monitor. Clicking away on the keyboard a picture popped up.

"Midshipmen Luis Wasp. Was dishonorably discharged from the Navy five years ago. That same year he was arrested for rape. Plead guilty served two years and was paroled two months ago." She read off before clicking a few more buttons and the printer rumbled to life.

Don sighed and drug a hand over his face. "Alright…thank you Abby. Gibbs round up your team and meet us in the briefing room." Don stated before offering Abby a weak smile and leaving. Abby turned to her boss with a grin.

"See boss-man he seems nice enough." Abby rolled her eyes when Gibbs snorted and pushed away from the table and headed for the door. "Good work Abbs." He called over his shoulder.

"No problem my silver haired fox!"

……………………..

Megan groaned as she shifted in her seat in the briefing room. Don had already taped the Navel photo to the board. He had said something about a DNA match but didn't want to explain until the rest of their team and Agent Gibbs' arrived. David and Colby shuffled in with Agent DiNozzo close behind. None of them said a word just took a seat to await everyone else. The two now suitably dressed female agents's entered a few seconds later followed not long after by the NCIS director, McGee, and Gibbs.

The youngest of the three was holding a picture in his hand and wordlessly handed it over to Don.

"Alright the DNA that was collected from the balcony hit in the database. Midshipmen Luis Wasp, 34 was dishonorably discharged from the Navy five years ago. That same year he was arrested for rape. Plead guilty served two years and was paroled two months ago. I contacted his parole officer he missed his last two scheduled meetings. So now it's up to us to find him." He trailed off as he looked down at the photo in his hand and cursed. While the picture was still a bit grainy he could clearly see the man's face along with the 9mm in his hand.

"David, Colby, and Agent McGee track down Wasp and bring him in for questioning. Meanwhile we need to get on finding this man." He stated posting the photo on the board.

"Well the second unsub was either providing a distraction to give the other time to kill the real target. It insured him the opportunity to make sure Matthews was dead. Everyone else was taking cover it was probably just bad luck we were there. He probably waited until the lights went out and slipped away unnoticed by us or anyone else." Kristy interjected as she rubbed her forehead.

"DiNozzo, Todd go lean on the ballistics lab." Gibbs ordered and the two agents left.

"Alright Kristy take the photo and canvas the patrons see if anyone knows him or saw where he disappeared too." Gibbs added.

"I'll go with you." Don offered and Kristy smiled as did the older Agent. Gibbs narrowed his eyes at the scene. That was not a good look.

"Well Jethro what do you say we partner up like the old days and try to find this bastard?" Jenny questioned with a beaming grin.

"I'll dig into Wasp's past." Megan offered and the two agents nodded and left. She tried to stand from her seat but frowned when her large abdomen prevented it.

"Help I sat down and I can't get up!" she cried to no one in particular.

…………………….

Kristy smiled when Don opened her car door for her and waited until she was seated to close the door. When he slid into the seat next to her he offered her a shy smile and turned the key and pulled out of his parking spot.

"So it's been a while." Don stated trying to break the uncomfortable silence that had descended upon the car.

"Yea, four years." She chuckled.

"You know I never understood why you left." he stated as he hit the turn signal.

Kristy shrugged "After Mike got promoted he tended to single me out. Like it was my fault our relationship ended." She answered with a shrug and Don frowned.

"Why did it end? You never really told anyone." He questioned glancing at her quickly before looking back at the road.

"He slept with a woman from our office. Had the guts to blame the whole thing on me because I wouldn't put out. I mean I was nineteen and I wasn't ready I couldn't help that." She shrugged again. Don frowned as his grip tightening on the steering wheel.

"Well you deserve better." He stated firmly her smile was beaming showing off her dimples. How could he have forgotten that smile? Granted there was a ten year age difference and she always had been more Charlie's friend than anyone else, but she was there when his mother got sick. She was always there to listen and offer advice yet he knew next to nothing about her except she and her sister had been orphaned and she had been sent to live with Larry while her sister was eighteen and had joined the Marines.

"You know I never knew what happened to your parents." He watched as flinched then tense.

"They died." She offered simply.

"How?" he questioned he knew it was a sore topic but for some reason he wanted to know. He watched as her eyes flickered shut and her lips pinched.

"I don't want to talk about it." She answered finally.

"Why?" he pressed.

"Well it's not exactly a happy memory. Only my sister, Uncle, Megan- although Uncle Larry told her and your brother know what happened and I'm not planning on telling anyone else." She snapped obviously he had pushed her too far.

"You will never change." He sighed. She turned her sharp glare on him.

"Excuse me?"

"Ever since I've known you you've never opened up. One day your gonna have to let someone in." he argued. Her face turned red in fury.

"I have let people in. Agent Eppes and all I've got from that his heartbreak. So excuse me for not being so forth coming." She smiled when he flinched. Good he wanted to push her she'd push back either way she was not telling. To bad she didn't know fate had other ideas.

…………………..

Colby Granger was a lot of things but patient was not a virtue he possessed. After almost three hours of searching they had finally caught up with him. He was holed up in a dingy motel room. Now as they approached the room vests secured around their chests. When they reached ‘5C' he and David stood on either side of the door McGee standing behind David.

Raising his hand he pounded swiftly on the door. "FBI open up!" he yelled. A small commotion could be heard inside. Not wasting any time David kicked the door in. The door gave easily spring open to revel Wasp trying to pry open a window that had been painted shut probably decades ago about the last time someone changed the bed sheets too.

"Down on your knees hands behind your head!" David yelled as he slowly approached. Luis finally gave up on the window and dropped down to his knees. Forgetting about the warrant that was tucked in the inside pocket of his suit jacket he holstered his weapon leaving McGee and David to cover him. He noted the bandage wrapped around his arm.

"How'd you hurt yourself Luis?" he taunted as he slapped the cuffs on and hauled him up to his feet.

"Look at what we have here." David smiled as held up the gun.

……………………..

Jethro Gibbs glanced up when he saw Luis Wasp being led in and waited until McGee had him in an interrogation room to approach the door.

"What do you think your doing?" Colby hissed as Gibbs began to enter the room.

"Last time I checked it was called interrogating a suspect." Gibbs snipped.

"Yea, we do the interrogation." Colby ground out between clenched teeth.

"Actually Agent Granger he's former Midshipmen which falls under NCIS jurisdiction." Jenny stated as she seemingly appeared out of no where. The Agent grumbled and walked into the adjoining room.

"So Jethro wanna tag team him?" she questioned with a smile.

"After you." He smirked.

…………………

Tim McGee looked up when the door to the interrogation room opened and his boss and the director walked in. Jenny sat down at the opposite side of the table and clasped her hands. Gibbs remained standing.

"Thanks McGee we got this." Gibbs stated. Tim nodded and left the room he was all too happy to let Gibbs handle the interrogations.

"Well Luis you seemed to have gotten yourself in quite a jam." Jenny smirked as she slid the folder toward him. Luis smirked and opened the file and glared at the document.

"What the hell is this?" he asked tossing the paper back at the red head.

"Oh come on Luis. You should know DNA results when you see them." Jenny snipped.

"I really don't give a damn about the results Luis. I want to know who you're working with." Gibbs growled as he planted his hands on the cool metal table and leaned toward him. Luis visibly gulped and sat back in his seat.

"I-I have no idea what your talking about." He shot back obviously shaken by the agent.

"Oh you know what I'm talking about, but don't talk see if I care. We already have your blood at the scene and the gun that is being matched to bullets as we speak. Either way you're going down for three murders. You can either go down alone or face the needle you deserve or you can give up your friend. What's it gonna' be?"

"I think I need to talk to a lawyer."

…………………………….

"Thank you for seeing us so late." Don said as he and Kristy seated themselves on the small love seat. Marissa Ferguson waved a hand to dismiss the comment.

"Nonsense anything I can do to help. Would you like some coffee or some food I can call room service." The elderly woman offered.

"No, thank you were fine." Don answered with a slight smile he wished all the witnesses had been so nice at four in the morning.

"Mrs. Ferguson, did you see either of these two men at the party?" Kristy asked as she handed over the two photos.

"No, I'm sorry I didn't…but I do remember your dance you and that young man were superb. Is he your boyfriend?" she questioned and the two agents chuckled.

"Well thank you, but no Toby and I are just good friends he's like my big brother." The agent answered with a smile.

"Oh no I meant Agent Eppes here." The woman continued even as the two agents look at her in stunted silence before Don shook his head in the negative. After that the two agents stood and collected the photos. "Oh pity…you know you should compete." She continued.

"Thank you again but I'm way past my competing days. I've hung up my heels." She smiled and thanked her again and headed for the door.

"Oh so you did compete! How many years?" she questioned following them.

"Four years." She answered before waving and ducking out of the hotel room. Marissa grabbed a hold of Don's arm.

"Don't give up on her yet. I may be old but I can still see young love blossoming."

…………………………………..

The elevator ride was uncomfortable until Don broke the suffocating silence.

"So why didn't anyone see these two?" he questioned. Kristy cleared her throat.

"He's good hiding in the one place no one would think to look." Kristy answered finally.

Don frowned "And that would be?"

"Plain sight. He's not flashy but neat in appearance. He blended in with all the other men in the room. Suit not jeans or a t-shirt he not that stupid. Someone would be sure to remember someone who stood out like that." She shrugged.

"So how dangerous is this guy?"

"The most dangerous kind. He blends into a crowd doesn't draw attention to himself. He blends into the background. People tend to forget people like that are there." She continued as they crossed the parking lot and paused when they saw something on the hood of the car. Approaching it Don slipped on a pair of gloves and picked it up and listened for ticking. Hearing nothing he glanced down at the package.

"Its addressed to you."