- Text Size +
Disclaimer: I do not own Smith and Wesson don't know who the company belongs to probably smith and Wesson and family. So please don't sue. Founders were: Horace Smith, Daniel B. Wesson. Michael F. Golden (CEO), John A. Kelly (CFO). Nor do I own ‘Fields of Gold' these people do if that's wrong my apologies. Performer Sting Composer Sting Publisher A & M Records D Title Sting: Ten Summoner's Tales
Track 3
Label A & M Records

A/N: I have no clue how old Colby is so in this story he's twenty-six. Kristy is twenty-five. Charlie twenty nine, Don thirty-five. Kate twenty-eight, Tony thirty-two, Ziva thirty-one. Also I have know idea if any agencies entered in old crimes into current databases but I need a link so forgive that.

Chapter 6:

Kate glanced up from the ballistic reports she was combing through. As first suspected the gun was a perfect match to the forty caliber bullets. Although that wasn't really what captured her attention it was her friend and partner. Anthony DiNozzo was immature, annoying on his best days, and yet surprisingly warm and caring. Tony was currently flipping through the autopsy report Ducky had sent over. His hair was a mess strands falling onto his forehead.

Apparently Tony was going for his smart look today. His thin framed glasses perched on his nose which only seemed to draw attention to his electric green eyes. For some reason he glanced up from his work. Maybe it was her intense scrutiny that had caught his attention, but now as he looked at her his eyes flared almost like they sparked to life. His breath fanned across her face. It was almost like a magnetic force that was drawing the two of the together. Their lips were mere inches apart his roman nose nudged hers. Then just as he was about to finally kiss her after all these years of waiting someone sneezed.

Jumping apart they came face to face with an oblivious Ziva David who was currently blowing her nose. Feeling their gaze she turned and offered a "What?" The word came out in stuffy drown do to her congested nose.

"Nothing absolutely nothing." Kate answered quickly causing Tony to wince as her words seared through him. That moment had meant nothing to her? He really couldn't say he was surprised after all he had been ever so juvenile around her which he knew she despised. Yet for some reason he couldn't help his behavior. Normally woman found it cute but not woman like Kate Todd. Yes, many vapid women had fallen for his childish charm but that wasn't helping him now.

He had dropped many a hint to the brunette who had all but ran away from him to hover over Megan to go over Luis Wasp's file and Ziva had collapsed in the now vacant seat and began going through the ballistics report. Although it appeared his advance on his partner were either ignored or chalked up to his normal antics. After all when Kristy had first arrived he had flirted with her blatantly until he was almost knocked unconscious by one of Gibbs' swats to the head. That didn't help with his pursuit to woo his partner.

He just seemed to do everything wrong when it came to her. He either said something to make her mad or to make her disregard him completely. What he needed was a woman's advice, but who could he ask? Ziva was a definite no her idea of a romantic gift was a man giving her a new set of throwing knives. Abby knew Kate pretty well and knew what she liked yet she would tease him mercilessly and by telling her he risked the chance of her accidentally spilling the beans. Director Sheppard was a no she had the same view as Gibbs with interoffice dating. Kristy was still relatively new to the team yet she was a seasoned profiler.

He cringed as Ziva launched into another coughing fit. Gibbs really should have let her stay home. As it was she really wasn't much help in her current state now he was risking the whole team getting sick. Poor Megan was carrying disinfectant spray around with her since she was eight and a half months pregnant but had been called in to assist with the case, and didn't need a cold on top of it not that he blamed her even he didn't want to be near Ziva at the moment but he really didn't want to anger the woman either. On a good day Ziva wanted to strangle him and that was when she wasn't sick. So now he wasn't going to press his luck.

He looked up when Gibbs stormed into the bullpen like and angry bull. Great like his day wasn't bad enough Gibbs was having another tiff.

"What happened?" Kate asked her eyes narrowing at her boss.

Gibbs growled low in his throat "Bastard lawyered up." Jenny appeared a few minuets behind him her face portraying her concern for her former lover. It was look like that made him wonder if really Gibbs and Jenny were still more than just friends.

"So what's our next move?" David asked from his desk his fingers tented under his chin.

"David and Colby, you two handle the LUDS dig up any cell phone records home phones whatever. Then crosscheck them with any former cell mates. If nothing comes of that you look up every male he's spoken too and compare their driver's license photo with ours." Gibbs replied before pausing. David didn't waist any time before doing as he was asked Colby however grumbled under his breath before moving to help.

"Todd, DiNozzo what the hell are you waiting for help them." Gibbs barked causing Tony to flinch and scurry off Kate not far behind.

"Ziva, where is McGee?" he asked his nostrils flared.

"Helping Abby with something." Ziva shrugged not looking up from her report. Although McGee picked that particular moment to reappear.

"Boss, Abby's got something." McGee interjected. Gibbs didn't need anything else before he turned almost plowing into Jenny and stormed off to where the Fed had sanctioned Abbs.


----------------------------------------------------------------
"Hinky." Abby muttered to herself as she peered down the image enchantment microscope. Pushing away from the microscope she jotted down a few notes. The bullet was consistent with a Smith & Wesson the bullet had a right hand twist that was the signature, but this was truly different.

"What have you got Abbs?" Gibbs asked as he breezed into the room with McGee, Ziva, and Director Sheppard.

"Well I ran the bullets through the data base and came back with a hit." Abby started as she rolled her chair over to the computer and brought up the document.

"The bullet matches another on file in two unsolved murders. A few years ago ballistic evidence from cold cases from the past twenty years was entered into databases to see if they linked with any current crime…"

"Abbs." Gibbs cut her off.

"Right the bullet matches a seventeen year old double homicide. A husband and wife were murdered in Fresno. The only two survivors were the couple's two daughters eighteen year old Laura Madison and eight year old Christina Madison both sisters were bound with duck tape and were forced to watch." Abby concluded with a sigh. Gibbs lips pressed into a firm line. This was nothing new to him he knew Kristy's parents had been murdered. Now that same psycho could be back. A collective silence fell over the room. McGee scuffed his foot against the floor he had always suspected something bad had happened just not that bad.

"Alright I want to see the files. Get in touch with the Fresno police." Ziva nodded and quickly walked out of the room.

"McGee pull Kristy's file see who has a grudge and brief Kate and Tony." McGee nodded swiftly and left the room.

"Gibbs this is going to be bad isn't it?" Abby questioned softly. Gibbs' sigh was soft. "Yea Abbs, it is."


----------------------------------------------------------------
"Hey guys your gonna wanna see this." McGee stated as he strode into the incident room. Papers were scattered around the large round table. The four agents that surrounded it looked drained. Colby's hair was pointing in ten different directions; Tony looked as if he was falling asleep with his eyes open. Kate was sitting at the head of the table a laptop in front of her as she took the male names from the phone records to driver's licenses. So far she was coming up empty.

"What?" Colby questioned turning his tired green eyes on McGee.

"Abby ran the 9mm bullets through the database came back with a hit. A seventeen year old double murder of Regan and Spencer Madison." He recited from the file as he tossed the file on the cluttered table.

"Madison?" Tony asked snapping out of his sleepy haze. Tim nodded solemnly.

"The only two survivors were Laura and Kristy Madison. Laura joined the Marines right after the incident. Kristy first lived with her grandmother in Winchester, Idaho stayed there for six months before she was sent to live with her Uncle." Tim finished dropping down into a vacant chair.

Colby's eyes widened that was the same girl who had lived with Mrs. Regina Madison- Richards. He had been nine at the time. She was the one who told him candidly he was clumsy and stubborn. Along with a few other words he didn't understand at the time. He knew she had been gifted but she disappeared as quickly as she arrived. They had kept in touch a few years after that but lost touch when she started college while he was still in his sophomore year of high school. Although she had sent him a letter when he was in Afghanistan although by then he completely forgot who the hell she was.

"Shit." Kate growled as she slouched down in her chair.

"Could things get any worse?" David moaned as he rubbed the back of his neck.

"I could always get worse and I have a feeling its about to get a whole lot worse." Kate muttered.


----------------------------------------------------------------
"Abby, I need you to process this." Kristy declared handing over the package wrapped in brown paper. Abby glanced down at the package and frowned. "Why is it addressed to you?"

"I don't know it was on the car when we came out of an interview." Kristy growled obviously frustrated. Abby pressed her lips together debating whether or not to tell her.

"Ugh…Kristy I have some bad news…" Abby began noticing a look of worry passing across the young woman's face.

"Spit it out Abbs."

"We know about your parents." She watched as the color drained from her friends face. She noticed the slight tremble in her hands oh this was not good. She had never seen her like this. Kristy was always composed and had an infuriating ability to remain calm in dyer situation but this had her trembling. Don was also rendered speechless he had never seen the woman so shaken.

"How?" she asked softly. Abby gulped and contemplated not telling her but one look at her she knew she had to tell her.

"A few years ago ballistic evidence from cold cases from the past twenty years was entered into databases to see if they linked with any current crime…."

"Right I remember the memo." Don nodded.

"Right the bullet matches a seventeen year old double homicide. A husband and wife were murdered in Fresno. Your parents." Abby all but whispered the last part then she watched the shaken woman turn.

"I guess you know now." She mumbled before she quickly fled the room. Don thanked Abby and asked her to make sure she processed the package before following.

"Kristy! Hold up." He exclaimed as he followed her form retreating down the hall toward the incident room.

"Don, leave me alone." She growled over her shoulder as she turned sharply into the incident room and was greeted by pitiful stares.

"Kristy I'm sorry…" Tony began to offer her condolences but she held her hand up cutting him off.

"Wonderful! Where's Gibbs?" she asked her bravado crumbling.

"Interrogation." McGee answered immediately down casting his eyes. Her eyes narrowed at her files on the table. Shaking her head sadly her ponytail bobbing. She had been afraid of this. The pitiful looks their guilty expressions. Well screw it. Pivoting on her heel she headed for the door when Don grabbed her arm. She turned her wounded gaze on him and slipped his arm from his grasp and left.

"Damnit I hate it when you're right." Tony tossed at Kate who smiled sadly before standing. "I'll right I'll make a breakfast run what would you guys like?" Kate asked stretching out her back and grabbed a note pad from the desk and jotted down the requests.

"I'll come with you." Tony offered already standing and shrugging into his suit jacket. Kate smiled and nodded and let Tony lead her from the room already knowing what the Director, Gibbs, Kristy and Abby would want.


----------------------------------------------------------------
Gibbs nearly ripped off the door to interrogation and glared down at the Agent who dared to disrupt him.

"What?" he snapped.

"Abby told me Gibbs. My- my parents murder is back." She stated softly and Gibbs softened immediately.

"I'm sorry." He offered. Her lips quirked.

"Apology is a sign of weakness." She murmured.

"Not in this case." He contradicted her. Shaking her head she reached down and unclipped her shield and gun.

"I'm sorry Gibbs. I- I quit." She muttered and was surprised to see she stunned her boss. Taking the opportunity she shoved the items into his hand and left quickly before he could recover.


----------------------------------------------------------------
The ride thus far had been done in silence. Tony couldn't take it anymore and veered sharply into an empty parking lot ignoring his sputtering partner he put the car in park and took the keys out of the ignition.

"What the hell are you doing?" Kate cried in outrage.

Tony looked at her in disbelief. "What do you think?"

"I really wouldn't know, DiNozzo why don't you enlighten me?" she growled flinging her seatbelt off.

"We almost kissed Katie. Why are you ignoring it?" he asked his voice holding pain and frustration causing her to look at him in utter surprise. Had she really hurt him when she said it was nothing? She stared into his green eyes and what she saw scared her. She had hurt him it was blatantly there along with something else she couldn't quite place.

"We didn't kiss Tony." She offered weakly. Tony growled under his breath and slammed his hands on the wheel in frustration.

"Then why didn't you pull away?" he demanded.

"I did!" she argued.

"Only when Ziva sneezed. So tell me Katie if she hadn't shown up would you have pulled away?" he asked slowly closing the distance between their lips. Kate smiled in spite of herself. "No, I wouldn't have." She managed to whisper before his lips were on hers. Nothing could have prepared her for this. She had kissed enough men but none of those had been so incredibly powerful. It was almost like the world stopped spinning and all that existed was them. She could almost feel her once frozen unreachable heart begin to thaw. It that moment it hit her. For so long she felt her heart was frozen but the truth was somehow he had weaseled his way into her life and into her heart. Pulling back she smiled and wiped a smudge of lipstick off his lips.

"After this case I will be expecting a date." Tony grinned at her words and kissed her once more before inserting the key back in the ignition and pulled out of the lot. Knowing this time was different. There would be no more flings and one night stands some time in the last three years he had grown up and this time he knew was for real.


----------------------------------------------------------------
Gibbs sighed as walked toward the incident room at least that bastard Wasp took his attorney's advice, and gave up his partner while that was good thing he also had a bigger problem. For some reason Kristy got it in her head that instead of just recusing herself from the case she had to flat out quit. If she thought he was going to except her resignation she had another thing coming.

"McGee, do you have a Geoffrey Galloway on any of the lists?" Gibbs asked slamming the gun and ID on the table. McGee leafed through the LUDS and nodded. "Yea, Wasp called Jeff Galloway on February 10th of this year."

Colby frowned when he noticed the gun and shield on the table something had gone wrong.

"Whose badge is that?" Colby questioned and Gibbs sighed.

"Kristy quit." He answered simply and McGee gawked and Don cursed.

"And you're accepting?" McGee asked aghast.

"Hell no." Gibbs answered. McGee snickered to himself. Kristy would be back pissing off suspects within a day's time.


----------------------------------------------------------------
Abby started open mouthed at the plasma screen this was insane. This case kept going from bad to worse. Growling she slammed her gloved hands down on the metal table attracting frightened glances from the other workers in her area.

"What?" she snapped instead of answering they quickly turned back to their work.

"Gibbs gotta find Gibbs." She muttered to herself as she quickly exited the lab. She nearly collided with Colby as he walked down the hall his nose in a file.

"Whoops sorry." She apologized making an effort not to drool.

"No harm done." He offered her a small smile and sighed and snapped the file closed.

"Have you seen Kristy?" he questioned rubbing his forehead.

Abby shook her head her black pigtails waving. "No, not for about an hour. Which reminds me the package she received was a video…its bad and I need to find Gibbs, have you seen him?" she asked looking around wildly.

"Incident room. Why what's going on?" he asked but she just shook her head and sprinted off Colby following behind her.

"Gibbs, you have to come with me there is something you need to see." Abby said poking her head into the incident room. Gibbs sighed and collected Kristy's shield and gun before following.

"What have you got?" he asked as they walked quickly down the hall McGee and David following behind them.

Kate and Tony chose that moment to step of the elevator holding three brown paper bags. Exchanging confused glances they followed the group of stricken and exhausted agents.

"Don and Kristy brought this to me about an hour ago. I lifted on thumb print ran it through AFAIS no match. So I popped the tape in and this came up." She trailed off as her fingers flew across the keyboard and the video popped up.

You'll remember me when the west wind moves
Upon the fields of barley
You'll forget the sun in his jealous sky
As we walk in fields of gold

The footage that flowed across the screen had to be at least seven years old. It seemed to be a dance competition. Kristy was dancing with a younger man around her age. Doing what seemed to be the foxtrot. Then the picture changed to photograph stills. From Kristy's time with NCISRA at various crime scenes.

So she took her love, for to gaze awhile
Upon the fields of barley
In his arms she fell as her hair came down
Among the fields of gold

Shots of her at the firing range with Mike Rollins and who appeared to be her sister. The pictures changed once again to what looked like the student union of CalSci. She was beaming her hair was darker at the time. Gibbs' gut clenched as he watched.

Will you stay with me, will you be my love
Among the fields of barley
We'll forget the sun in his jealous sky
As we lye in fields of gold

Back to her dancing this time she was doing what appeared to be the jive this time with Toby. To a wedding of Megan and Larry. Then stills of Abby, Kate, Ziva, and Kristy at a small bar Tony recognized as Eddie's. Then words appeared

She's Not the only one I want anymore…

Tony's hands clenched around the bag in his hands. If someone hurt Kate he would rip him limb from limb. No one would hurt Kate Todd again not while he was still breathing.

See the west wind move like a lover so
Upon the fields of barley
Feel her body rise when you kiss her mouth
Among the fields of gold

The slide show continued but now it wasn't about Kristy anymore. Kate's pictures flickered by as the music played on. This bastard was sick. He seemed to have been focused on Kristy for years. Then he all of a sudden changed.

I never made promises lightly
And there have been some that I've broken
But I swear in the days still left
We'll walk in fields of gold
We'll walk in fields of gold

Don side eyed Tony the man looked livid. He knew the feeling this video was having a sickening effect on him. Sighing he watched as the video changed again. This was truly insane they really had a twisted bastard on their hands.

Many years have passed since those summer days
Among the fields of barley
See the children run as the sun goes down
Among the fields of gold

The camera panned around a living room an apartment it seemed. He focused on pictures. One of Charlie, Kristy, and Larry what seemed to be years ago. Followed by Megan and Larry's wedding picture then onto a bookcase with criminal profiling textbooks. Followed by a bedroom a woman's sleeping form came into view. The camera zoomed in on the face showing Kristy tucked under the covers a gloved hand entered the screen and tucked some hair behind her ear.

You'll remember me when the west wind moves
Upon the fields of barley
You can tell the sun in his jealous sky
When we walked in fields of gold

Then the apartment changed again. In the living room the ‘unsub' focused on pictures. One of Abby and Kate sat on the mantel above the fire place another of Kate, McGee, and Ziva. The final photo was of Kate and Tony at the NCIS Holiday Ball. The view slowly changed and a bedroom came into the frame. Another brunette lying on top of the covers. The butt of a gun poked out from the pillow beside her. Then the view of the face Kate Todd. Sound asleep still in her work garb. This bastard had truly just stepped over the line. Then the finale shot white words across the black screen.

Now I want them both…