- Text Size +
Disclaimer: I don't own ‘Because of You' it belongs to Kelly Clarkson, Composers: Ben Moody; David Hodges; Kelly Clarkson. Record Label: RCA (Recording Company of America). Nor do I own ‘Rock a bye baby' I don't know who does I couldn't find anything….

A/N: All Tate fans I have an inkling will love this chapter. Very high on the fluff.

Chapter 7:

L.J. Gibbs was at a loss for words as he stood in the AV lab. Abby stood in front of him her face portraying her anxiety. He knew the feeling never before had a case struck so close to home. His hands clenched at the stainless steal table wishing that it was Galloway. No one messed with his team. His team was his family and after what happened with Shannon and Kelly he became even more protective of his own. He failed his wife and daughter he would not allow himself to fail again. It just wasn't an option. He had let Ari escape once and Kate almost lost her life and had resulted in Kristy being injured as well.

"Find Kristy and bring her in. Whether she likes it or not she's going into protective custody as is Kate." Gibbs stated finally letting his sore hands fall from the table. Kate's eyes narrowed at her boss. There was no way in hell she was going to be put into protective custody.

"There is no way in hell…." Kate began but Gibbs turned his face unfeeling.

"Yes, you are. It's an order Agent Todd. You will be placed in protective custody." Gibbs stated his tone leaving no room for argument.

Kate's hands clenched around the brown paper bag she despised being ordered around. In her line of work she never went against a direct order. That was one thing but she abhorred being ordered to do something that was ‘for her own good'. She was old enough to decide the risks she would and would not take. Ever since the whole Ari debacle Gibbs had wanted to keep her out of the line of fire as much he could.

While she appreciated the sentiment she was not one to be coddled. She came into this job with eyes wide open. She knew the danger and she didn't appreciate being sequestered to desk duty or protective custody. Counting to ten she let out a long breath. Pulling the top container out of the bag she set it on the table next to Abby and took the CAFF-Pow from the cup holder DiNozzo was holding. Abby beamed and all but lunged for her beverage of choice.

"You're the best Kate!" Abby grinned and also popped open the Styrofoam container and inhaled the delicious scent of waffles and opened the clear plastic that held her eating utensils.

"Did Kristy mention where she was going?" Kate questioned handing Gibbs his motor oil that he called coffee. Gibbs shook his head in the negative.

"I'll find her." Don volunteered and took the coffee Tony offered. Gibbs bit back a growl the Fed was getting way to chummy with his Agent, but right now was not the time to blow his top. They had to find Kristy before Galloway did. Kate was safe here until they found a suitable safe house. Now his biggest problem was finding Galloway before he could concoct a crazy ploy and then set it into action.


----------------------------------------------------------------
Don muttered under his breath as he stalked up the driveway toward the Fleinhardt home. Kristy wasn't answering her cell phone he kept getting her voice mail which wasn't helping him any. His stomach was in knots. What if he was too late? Pushing his sunglasses higher on his nose he pressed the doorbell. He could hear the distant chimes and waited for someone to open the door.

Tapping his foot against the brick step he pressed the glowing button again. Soon it became apparent no one was home. Pulling his cell phone from the holder on his belt he quickly dialed Megan's cell phone as he walked back to his SUV.

"Reeves." She answered her mouth stuffed full with food.

Don rolled his eyes. Anytime he called anymore she always had her mouth full he was beginning to think she was carrying a garbage disposal and not a baby.

"Megan, its Don, Have you seen Kristy?" he asked silently praying she had.

"Yeah, were all at your brother's. Why?"

"I'll explain later just keep her there. Tie her to the banister if you have to."

"Didn't know you were into that…but seriously she is my niece I don't need visuals." Megan joked.

Don rolled his eyes as he slid into his car and snapped his phone closed. He didn't know whether to kill Kristy or lock her in a cell until they apprehended Galloway. From what little he knew of Kristy she was going to kick like a steer, but she was not going to get out of this. She could kick and scream threaten him with bodily harm but she was going into protective custody.


----------------------------------------------------------------
Charlie Eppes was all smiles Amita had returned from her week long visit with her parents. She had almost immediately sat him down and talked him out of his depressive snit. They had spent a good portion of the early morning hours talking about everything and anything. Larry had spent the night after he had woken him from his nap in the garage and put him up in Don's old room for the night. Then around seven the door bell rang. At first he had been a bit miffed by the interruption until he came face to face with a crying Kristy.

She had explained to him that her parent's murder had resurfaced and how she quit her job because of it. He truly felt for the younger woman. She had also showed up with a rental car full of groceries. After her five minuet crying jag she had brought them in and stored them in the fridge before she went on a cleaning spree. He had gone upstairs for not even ten minuets and she was gone. At first he thought she went back to the hotel until he noticed her car in the driveway. He later found her in the garage mopping the concrete floor although that didn't really make sense to him.

Then she proceeded to organize the clutter by labeling boxes and stacking neatly. Then she started on his desk. Every slip of paper had a designated folder. After the garage was spotless she had dusted the living room and dinning room before doing a load of laundry, cleaned his room and organized his closet.

At first he had tried to stop her as had Amita but she ignored them. Now in less than two hours of her arrival his house practically sparkled. Then she commandeered his kitchen. Delicious aromas wafted through the house. Waking Alan from his slumber the older man was practically salivating as he stumbled down the stairs.

Larry hadn't been far behind and Megan had shown up in search of Larry. Except in Megan's current condition she refused to leave until she had one of everything her ‘favorite' niece was cooking. French toast had come out first followed by fruit salad, and then apple cinnamon pancakes, then frittatas, along with Mexican and Southwestern omelets, eggs benedict, followed by an assortment of breakfast meats and harsh browns and lastly stuffed Belgian waffles.

Megan Reeves- Fleinhardt was in heaven. She was enjoying her niece's cooking. She had tried to talk to her but Kristy had squelched her efforts so for right now she was enjoying the food. Don had momentarily interrupted her bliss but now she was looking foreword to the spectacle that was sure to ensue. She glanced up when the door opened and her eyes shot across the table to her niece. Show time.


----------------------------------------------------------------
Kate sighed and shifted on the small couch in the safe house. It was odd how bullet proof windows made a person feel safe. For safety reasons she and Kristy were in different safe houses miles apart. While it would be next to impossible for anyone to breech the security it was still a good idea to take precautionary measures. Pushing herself off the Champaign colored couch as made her way over to the small bookcase and browsed the titles.

She found a book by a little known author by the name of Sophie J. Walters occupied an entire shelf. Tim had told her about the book he was currently reading. Glancing at the titles she pulled out the copy of the book Tim had recommended ‘Finding Forgiveness'. She mid as well put her time to good use. At the very least she would know what the hell he was talking about. She glanced up when she heard Colby yawn. Tony had called him over while he ran out to the local market. The man insisted on making her dinner. It was adorable.

Colby also had his nose in a book. His suit jacket was draped across the back of a vacant chair. His emerald green dress shirt sleeves were unbuttoned and rolled up to his elbows exposing his tanned arms. She was just grateful the man had stopped asking her about Kristy. Flopping down on the couch she opened the hardcover book and flipped to the first chapter and became engrossed in the story. She only looked up again when the door was pushed open and Tony entered lugging grocery bags.

His hair was pointing in at least ten different directions. Smothering a chuckle she used the glossy flap as a bookmark and placed the book on the worn coffee table. Colby was already out of his seat and tugging on his jacket and pocketing his book.

"Thanks Colby." She smiled and he nodded before leaving quickly and slamming the door behind him.

Tony was grinning at her and she squinted in suspicion. He was up to something. "What?" she asked warily.

Tony chuckled at her suspicion. "I come bearing gifts." He swept his arms out at the brown bags. Kate cocked an eyebrow and eyed the bags critically. Slowly she padded across the carpeted floor and peaked in the bags that were on the small dinning room table. She furrowed her brow in confusion and pulled the silver lap top out of the bag.

"What's this for?" Tony smirked and took the computer from her. Opening the computer he waited momentarily for the screen to load. When it did Abby's face popped up.

"Hiya!" Abby giggled and waved. Kate smirked and waved back before shooting a grateful smile at Tony. He knew she would hate being cooped up.

"So I take it you're my fountain of information." Kate quipped and Abby rolled her eyes.

"As always Kate." Abby chided.

"Elf Lord!" Tony exclaimed from his place behind Kate. McGee cringed and turned from one of the computer stations.

"Tony, Hi Kate." McGee smiled briefly before turning back to his work.

"Hi McGee. So Abbs anything new happen?" she questioned sitting down on one of the dinning room chairs.

Abby bit her lip and looked away and she and Tim exchanged nervous glances. Kate's eyes narrowed as she glared at the very nervous lab tech. Abby chuckled nervously and tried to avoid Kate's menacing stare. She noticed Tony had disappeared from behind the severally pissed agent.

"Abby…" Kate growled and Abby heaved a heavy sigh.

"I'm not supposed to tell you." Abby muttered as she picked at her black nail polish.

"Abby I swear on DiNozzo's life I will come down there and punch it out of you!" Kate ranted causing the lab tech's eyes to widen and McGee to turn toward the screen in stunted silence. Abby cleared her throat knowing it was just nerves and pure frustration talking.

"We got another tape." Abby muttered softly. Kate closed her eyes tightly and dug her nails into her palms hard enough to draw blood. "I wanna see it." She whispered. Tony chose that moment to enter with a soda in his hand and glanced quizzically at his partner.

"See what?" he asked dropping down into the chair next to her and slinging an arm around the back of her chair.

"Abby got another tape." Kate replied her voice hallow and devoid of all emotion. Tony's grip tightened around the glass of water. He was going to tear this bastard apart piece by piece.

"Play the tape Abbs." Tony insisted.

Abby shook her head pigtails bobbing the black strands whipping her in the face. "No can do. Gibbs told me not to." Abby argued.

McGee scoffed "When has that ever stopped you before?"

"True." Abby conceded.

"Abby please."

"Fine!" Abby grumbled her fingers flew across the keys and the video popped up.

I will not make the same mistakes that you did

I will not let myself cause my heart so much misery

I will not break the way you did

You fell so hard

I've learned the hard way, to never let it get that far

Kate's gut clenched when footage of her and the team were on the rooftop. How did anyone ever get footage of this? She could see the camera pan around to show Ari his eye pressed to the sniper scope. The camera was quickly set down on the ground and her stalker attacked her attempted murder. Yet somehow the trigger was stilled pulled but instead of a direct hit the bullet just grazed her temple before imbedding in the concrete wall behind her.

Because of you

I never stray too far from the sidewalk

Because of you

I learned to play on the safe side

So I don't get hurt

She gasped as she watched herself tumble to the ground Tony and Gibbs followed quickly hitting the ground and taking cover. Tony was trying to keep her conscious as Gibbs scanned the area. Then the camera turned down at an unconscious Ari. A chuckle escaped the mad mans lips as he rolled Ari's limp body over the edge of the building and ducked into a stairwell. The sound of a loud crash in the background. Which Kate knew to be Ari's body landing on their car. She remembered how shaken McGee had been when they finally made it down the steps.

Because of you

I find it hard to trust

Not only me, but everyone around me

Because of you

I am afraid

As per the psycho's usual the screen changed. This time it was on Kristy as she lay on the cold cement floor blood flowing from her shoulder. Her eyes were closed in her unconscious state. Hair sprayed out against the gray floor. When the door hinges creak the man slipped inside a empty crate and filmed through a small hole. Gibbs' form sprinted across the room to his down agent and yelled for Tony, who was helping a bleeding Kate out of the building, to call and ambulance.

I lose my way

And it's not too long before you point it out

I cannot cry

Because I know that's weakness in your eyes

I'm forced to fake, a smile, a laugh

Every day of my life

My heart can't possibly break

When it wasn't even whole to start with

Then there were stills of Kristy lying in a hospital bed just after her surgery. To shots of the rest of the team in the hospital cafeteria. She wanted to know how this bastard could blend in so effortlessly. No one had seen him and she wanted to how and why.

Because of you

I never stray too far from the sidewalk

Because of you

I learned to play on the safe side

So I don't get hurt

Then the horrible walk down memory lane ended replaced by what looked like a closet. No windows only one door that was in view. A red light bulb burned in the lamp casting a eerie glow around the confined space. The lens zoomed in on various pictures that were tacked to the wall. A bouquet of daisies sat under the majority of her pictures a card tucked in between two of the steams. The only thing scrawled across the envelope was ‘Katie' then a queen sized bed and a ‘Welcome Home!' banner tacked up behind on the wall behind the bed. Quickly the man exited the room hoping she would see a normal living room that would give them some sort of clue. She had no such luck.

Because of you

I find it hard to trust

Not only me, but everyone around me

Because of you

I am afraid

In this room a blue bulb cast a deep blue haze across the room. More pictures came into view. Then a vase of Roses and Kristy's name scrawled sloppily across the envelope. Then rows of stuffed animals and teddy bears. Suddenly the music cut off and ‘rock-a-bye-baby' played softly in the room. Big fluffy letters spelled out Kristy behind the four poster bed, and a home made sign of ‘welcome home my little girl' hung on the wall. Then the screen went blank and Abby appeared again.

"Do we have any lead?" Kate asked her voice back to its normal tone. Abby nodded slightly.

"Well…" Tony prompted gruffly.

"On a hunch I accessed our database and compared Kristy's DNA to the DNA from Luis Wasp and it came back with a partial match. Probably and Uncle or cousin." Abby concluded. McGee's head poked back into view.

"Gibbs and Director Sheppard are in with him again." McGee added.

Tony snickered. "Huh…that ought' a push his buttons."


----------------------------------------------------------------
Kristy bit tongue to keep the dark curse at bay. Why in the hell was Don here? More than likely it was because Gibbs told him about her resigning. Normally she loved Gibbs' never-take-no-for-an-answer routine but she really wasn't in the mood for a pissing match. Uncle Larry seemed more confused than normal as he looked around the table with furrowed brows.

Kristy heaved a heavy sigh "Alright who sent you? Gibbs or Tony?"

Don sighed and snatched a piece of toast from his brother's plate. Charlie stood with a sigh and walked into the kitchen and fixed his brother a plate and shoved it at his older brother. Who sat down and picked at the meal.

"All I can tell you is I need to take you into custody." Don stated and looked up when a fork clattered onto a plate. His father was sitting there open mouthed utter shock written across his face.

"What are the charges?" Larry demanded and Don shook his head cursing his blunder.

"Protective custody." He amended but that still didn't wipe the puzzled expression off of Larry's face.

"Over my dead body." Kristy smiled brightly and sipped at her orange juice. Charlie groaned under his breath and exchanged worried glances with Amita and his father. Kristy didn't just do things on faith. If she didn't know what was going on in detail she dug her heels and refused to budge. Don was in for one hell of a fight. Shaking his head he cut into his omelet with his fork.

"You really don't have a choice." Don argued as he forked some eggs into his mouth. Kristy speared a grape wishing it was the man in front of her.

"The hell I don't." Kristy muttered.

"No you don't." Don reiterated.

"You know Donnie, I'm more resourceful than you think." Kristy smirked and cocked an eye brow.

Alan bit back a smirk it seemed his oldest boy had finally met his match. Maybe he would get grandchildren after all. Grinning at the though of little dark hair children scampering around Grandpa and Uncle Charlie's house. He was pulled out of his fantasy by Kristy's rather irritated voice. "Don, you can talk till your blue in the face. I'm not going I don't care if I have to knock you unconscious."


--------------------------------------------------------------
"Kate are you sure you're okay?" Tony asked as he twirled a piece of her dark hair around his index finger. Kate nodded her head against his chest and sighed contentedly. She played with a button on his dress shirt and yawned. She had ignored the majority of the movie that was playing on the screen. She was amazed at just how comfortable she was with Tony.

He didn't push her for sex. All he asked was that he was made to sleep on the lumpy sofa they currently occupied. She could deal with sharing a bed with him. He knew better than to try anything and even though she would never admit it she was scared. Scared that some how Galloway would get past all the security and grab either her or Kristy. After the whole thing with Ari she would do absolutely everything she could to escape him.

Yet somewhere deep down inside her she knew something was going to happen and it would not be good or foreseen.

She only hoped Gibbs wouldn't let them down.