- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Against his wants, Gibbs is obligued to stay at hospital overnigth. He obbeys, as the good marine he is. Kate feels aleviated knowing he is Ok....but she feels suddenly alone...
Chapter 10

“The place is decent…even for your high standards. Come on, Kate! .The case is over… let’s have some relax…” Tony had said, trying to convince her exhibiting his best charming smile. Kate was staring at him with hesitant eyes. Seeing her crappy mood giving up he had added good-humoredly:
“C’mon kitty!!! Take a rest before the long trip that is waiting for us… besides, after being trapped twenty four hours at the hospital, being deprived of caffeine, Gibbs is not going to be in his best mood tomorrow.
“That’s true….” she murmurs casually.
Of course, she couldn’t tell him that she doesn’t care about Gibb’s mood tomorrow for the moment he is alive and he has every part of his body attached in the right place.
She can’t tell him about how her heart had almost stopped…(,) knowing that he was down there when the underwater explosion had shake the outside world as well her entire being. And what scares her the most was the simple fact that, in this moment, her heart realizes how much she needs him, how much she wants to stay by his side forever…
That it doesn’t matter if the day in which he’d know about her feelings would arrive or not.
But DiNozzo was right. What was she going to do tonight? To stay at her cramped quarters, feeling extremely relieved on one hand and awfully desolate on the other????
For once, she had to admit that the place is really nice. Sure, she knows that DiNozzo had been there before, talking with the bartender the first day over the case…, and now, Kate knows why DiNozzo is wanting to return here: the bartender is a girl, one of his favorite types: blond, tall and all curves and very… very young. This time at least, the fact she works as bartender makes sure she is over 21. Damn DiNozzo !!! Damn him and his whim for teenagers… although she has to admit that he had being peering at Sedna with the same voracious look he used for his beloved “girls”. May be he was growing up…and focusing in something more than a stunning body crowned by a stupid mind… well… talking about admitting things , she has to admit too that Sedna has a stunning body beneath her smart mind, and was not her mind which attracted DiNozzo… In this case, her brain was for him, like the olive on the pizza… just for decorative purposes.
While following her train of thought Kate slides her eyes all over the room, registering every detail with the discipline that habit makes as normal as breathing .
The place is nice … not much people there, taking in account that is almost the happy hour. Three officers with their women or dates… two Petty officers talking friendly at the corner …not big deal…
The music is good … walls and furniture are all dark wood and bronze …a certain air of nautical melancholy is floating around. Each side of the wooden counter is flanked by old propeller blades remnants from a shipwreck. She guesses. There are ropes and knots all over the walls…
Lamps are recycled old portholes in red and green dim lights. Kate recalls that Sedna had told her something about this old pub. She used to come for a drink sometimes…
“Boss would like it … Kate… looks like a boat in here…. “ DiNozzo’s voice is in her ear… he is a bit too much close for her comfort teasing her, purring purposely his words into her neck. She nods and takes a step further apart.
“Don’t think he would be in mood to notice, Tony… you know he hates hospitals…” DiNozzo approves:
“Who doesn’t Kate? And particularly in his case… I’d hate hospitals if would have his past experiences…..” DiNozzo stops talking suddenly. The bartender is watching them, and the blonde gives a light signal with her hand…smiling openly, and Tony returns her smile wide and warm. Kate shakes her head watching him flying to the blonde like mot to light.
“Oh… now I know why he insisted to come” … the reason wasn’t to forget the stress of the day and have some fun… “Maybe yes, maybe this was his way to do it”….
And what is supposed she is going to do while DiNozzo is concerting his night stand … She feels alone. McGee is gone back to DC and they had to stay there just because there are no places at the helicopter for them. The Big Navy Boys and the FBI are coming and going to close this damn case ASAP. Sedna is somewhere, may be discussing with “Charles” and filling up hundreds of forms and reports….and Kate smiles thinking on the mood that the doctor would have facing all that , her character is pretty smooth in comparison with Gibbs one, but even tough….
And Gibbs, her very handsome and very grumpy boss is at hospital… overnight. It’s all right with him, he is OK, but orders are orders and these had been the crazy orders. And Gibbs may be Gibbs but he is a good Marine. And he obeyed.
She gets a diet coke and sits, recalling what had happened three hours before, at the Hospital:
Xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
They had been very busy for hours interrogating people, bagging evidence and typing preliminary reports, all these had been done while Gibbs was for his ordered medical check up.
Finally she had met Tony at the lateral hall of the Emergency Department.
The young tiny nurse at the front desk had rolled her eyes when DiNozzo shows his ID along with his most charming smile. “More of those NCIS guys? … hmmmffff !!! ….though we have got just enough of you here….”
Di Nozzo opens her mouth while searching an accurate answer. Kate had not couldn’t help and asked: “What ‘s the meaning of it ??? I thought there is just one NCIS agent here:
“ Special Agent Gibbs” ….
“ Oh…and very special one he is huh !!!… if you had arrived a while before… your cuffs had been useful to convince “him” to do the MRI , except for the fact that are metallic objects .
“Well… I see your point…” Tony interrupted … “But nobody could convince Gibbs to do what he doesn’t want except his ex wives ……”
The nurse was calmer now. She arches a brow: “Wives, as in plural ?....d’ you mean he was married many times ….?’’
Di Nozzo smiles openly now: “Ha! Yeah! Thrice , speaking properly”. The nurse cross her arms looking at them …
“I don’t know why I’m feeling inclined to believe you … well, the troll is inside there” and she points her index to the next door in front of them.
“Thanks” had said Kate politely, “and by the way… how did you convince Gibbs to do the MRI ?”
“I don’t know… I just called Commander Davidson, she is the Med Chief in charge here”.
Yeah… sure, the only thing that Gibbs could observes ( and even so… not always) … is rank.

It seems to be a quiet day, no much movement… just one or two patients waiting there… An old man glance at them for over his glasses and newspaper, and a girl dressed in shorts with one leg into a inflatable splint reach out her, hand moving her Barney puppet, chanting a loud “Hiiiiiiiii”.
Her mother (a young Petty Officer) frowns at her and remember : “ Sarah ! Don’t shout! We are in a Hospital…” The girl giggles and her attention goes back to her puppet, making it to do a silent dance. Kate smiles… she likes children. Tony smiles to the kid too, waving his hand at her and saying “hiiii”. The girl hides her face in the mother shoulder, this time abashed of the attention she had got. Kate snorts to Tony.
“Too young for you…DiNozzo!!!” he looks offended: “You misjudged me, Kate!!! I really like kids!!! And who knows… may be we should met again in a decade and a half… and …mmmm…she is going to be pretty!!!
“Tony! You’re a p…”
He is sure she was going to call him a pig, but at this moment the door is opened and a tall and stocky woman in her early sixties strides out and sets a folder on the desk. Her white gown is as impeccable as the uniform she wears under. The nurse introduces them and the Medical Director looks at them with a shadow of a smile playing on her round face and shook hands affably.
“You must be Todd and DiNozzo…”
“Did our boss… Gibbs, talk about us?” asks Tony and he can’t help and lets her to perceive how much startled he is… their boss talking friendly with the lady doctor is already astonishing … talking about them with a complete strange does not match with the normal professional dynamics that Gibbs used to lead his team with. But nothing surprised Dr Davidson, who is smiling at them now. She takes a second and signs some forms that the nurse put under her eyes, meanwhile, she turns her head back and speaks in a sufficiently loud voice to be heard from the next room where Gibbs is:
“Your Agents are here, Gunny…..”
Kate and Tony exchange quick glances…
Did she just say …“Gunny?”
The Director smiles again over the frame of her fine glasses.
“I’ve known him since we were together in Iraq…and I came as soon as Dr Mallard called me…and I was being requested from here at the same time….Ha !!! your boss is not easy and never has been …. fortunately he is a hard nut to crack… as he ever has been ”…
She talks slowly, kindly avoiding specifically medical terms and confirms that all is ok, no physical injury or physiological misbalances…, blood parameters are fine good , just one or two superficial scratches but her orders were to keep him hospitalized overnight . As the doctor follows telling them a brief report of the tests results , Kate gives a glance from over doctor’s wide shoulder … the two ways door is open and the room is bathed in shine white light .Gibbs is there, dressing his undershirt up , Kate got a brief view of his flat stomach and well shaped muscular chest, which gray hair is perfectly visible now , as not it had been in the preceding occasion she had had the vision of his bare torso previously submerged in salt water. Before their eyes met for a moment and then he turns around giving her his back, and avoiding intently her eyes, but concurrently offering her the full vision of his fine back and strong arms, every muscle playing under the tanned skin as he dresses his undershirt. The muscular contours of his neck and short hair never had seen so sexy before… Kate holds her breath and keeps staring.
She is so focused enjoying her sight that doesn’t notice that the doctor had asked her some missed question, confused , she returns her look to the concerned dark eyes focused in hers, and smiles somewhat embarrassed , if the doctor had caught her peering her boss, she was ignoring the fact politely and Kate feels her cheeks getting hot. Oh… she is blushing irremediably; damn Gibbs! For a moment Kate thinks he was deliberately showing up but instantly her mind discards that irrational idea… O-o …he is coming over them now, buttoning up his shirt and looking exasperated, his face darkened and frowned smoothes a little when the doctor leans her hand over his arm giving a friendly rub .
“I was saying that you better stay here overnight, Gunny… I mean, Agent Gibbs., this were my orders ; I’ll give you some antihistaminic medication to avoid tinnitus… it is when you feel your ears buzzing, very common after suffering exposition to sub aquatic explosive waves , and it’ll help you to sleep well in our ” five stars hotel “ Gibbs..
“Doc… the only way to sleep well in a hospital is being comatose… “ .
She smiles: “Very dark sense of humor, Agent Gibbs!. .you are lucky!… the room that is normally occupied by the “ Big Boys” is free…so, I’ll give you the “ Admirals suite “… it has an additional bedroom if you want to have company… one of your agents could…”
“I’ll be better being alone, doc” he sighs. Kate starts an almost inaudible “But Gibbs…” and is reduced to silence by the look he gives her. The med chief intercedes again saying
“Ok…I’ll give the properly orders. She smiles again , adding in a very friendly tone “ Llet me tell you that you are in amazing good shape Gunny… I would want to have your heart, my friend!!”
He smirks.
“Doc, most people including my three ex wives, says that I haven’t one”.
She laughs openly this time. “As I told before, a very dark sense of humor !!!”.

Kate stays still, her untouched drink of diet coke in hand, she is quietly immersed in her daydreaming totally distracted of what is happening around. That’s why the elbow of DiNozzo against her ribs cage startled her and part of her drink got dropped over the skirt of her dress. She holds back a sharp exclamation for his stupid action when her eyes , following the direction of his, see what he is glaring at, smiling with his best guzzle face .
Sedna is entering the room, dressed up in the most plain and stunning dress she had ever seen. The thin and stretch fabric fits her like a second skin letting exposed back and shoulders and falls lightly to her knees in some irregular and distinct pieces … it’s blue and dark green and shows pearled shines as she moves “ like the skin of a mermaid “ thinks Kate… oh !! She has to ask her new friend where she got it! It’s beautiful … and Kate finds herself thinking on how this dress fits her and how could she manage to have the occasion to be seen by Gibbs dressed in it…and if, by once he would notice she is something more than a NCIS agent under his command. Sometimes she wonders if he forces himself not to look when she shows up around ready to out on one of her Friday night dates. More striking she dress, less he looks … this is certainly strange… she had caught him looking at other women with delight and detected in his darkened blue eyes this spark of lust that makes her shiver inside.

Sedna is walking her way over them, talking friendly to a young man that follows her, Kate recognizes Steve, the guard assigned to the NMMP complex entrance. He looks even more boyish under his Hawaiian shirt. Sedna catches his arm and says something next to his ear, as rolling her eyes over a table in the corner. Steve smiles and hurries his way to the pretty blonde in miniskirt. Sedna walks her way to the bar next to DiNozzo and Kate, landing one hand over the arm of each one and blinks an eye to the pretty bartender who smiles at her: ” Hi doc !! “ … “Guiness, Ali…” she says , standing next to DiNozzo , who makes room to her between them, Sedna smiles openly to Kate, who is forgotten of Tony’s stupid action and her skirt , uncomfortably wet of Coke . She is focused in her friend’s wear. “Sedna, this is the coolest dress I’ve ever seen!!!! ” Di Nozzo nods emphatically… trying desperately to keep his eyes over Sedna’s face as she take in hand the tall glass and drinks half of its contain eagerly.
“ What a day, guys!!!” she sighs , and then smirks as she sees Di Nozzo eyes focused in her mouth as she licks delicately the line of spume that beer left over her upper lip. She decides to distract his thinking.
“Well… Special Agents… think this case is already over??”
As the Senior Agent he is, Tony should answer her question but his mind is still floating over the tanned skin in front of him. Kate takes the hint: “Almost it is …although we could find much more, I think….”
“Probably “ . Sedna nods briefly and takes another big sip of beer, this time brushing her upper lip with her hand, still gracefully, avoiding to show up her tongue to DiNozzo again. Then, the doctor change the subject: “I dropped myself at the hospital after my talk with CO Smithers… your boss is doing fine yet deadly bored, I’m afraid. He was surfing channels and seemed resigned to stay there overnight …” and the doctor smiles again trying to comfort Kate. DiNozzo mouth drops open: “You went there into this dress, doc?? … it should be forbidden !!! Not good for the healing rest that our boss needs!!! ”.
Sedna smirks again. “Don’t be idiot, DiNozzo. It hadn’t been correct…and besides (her eyes twinkle mischievously) … I wouldn’t hide a pair of strong black coffee cups inside this dress!!!…” . Now, the three of them laugh releasing the tension. Kate is satisfied… Gibb’s coffee supply was one of the worries rounding in her mind just now.
As finishing her beer Sedna changes the topic again: “I had a very long chat with Charles.. the CO Smithers …” she pauses, giving them an uncertain look, mixture of sadness and pride “ Well.. He said that the two dead marines are going to be buried in the Navy cemetery at DC. With honors. As well as my Kenny will!!!. Ducky….Dr Mallard informed that accordingly with the autopsy findings, Kenny had tried to save the Lt. He interposed his own body to act like a shield…. “ And Sedna sighs sadly.
“Well, doc… your dolphin acted like a hero “ DiNozzo says, his face by once is serious and concerned, all the boyish mood and playful expression he uses to wear , is gone. Sedna is surprised. Along the last days she had sawn Agent DiNozzo just as a grown child. The last hours being Gibbs afar, he had taken in hands the team leadership, and he had done well , may be she had been wrong and DiNozzo was much more than the simple image he wants to show of himself. Obviously, Gibbs keeps him in his team for something more than his perfect smile and funny remarks.
Sedna smiles again, a little more willingly this time: “By once, Charles surprised me … he acted like the Navy gentleman he always should be….”.
Both Agents give her their condolences and comforting words. They know how much she had loved the dolphin. Seeing sadness in the deep of her golden eyes DiNozzo tries to make her mood up. “ Doc… would you dance with me???” for his surprise Sedna , after two seconds hesitation, answered affirmative and letting her empty glass on the counter gives him her hand . Before facing their way to the dance floor she leaned over Kate and whispers: “ Enjoy yourself…Kate“… and rolls her eyes towards the main entrance door; following her mischievous glance she sees what had made Sedna accept to dance with DiNozzo.
Stolzer had just arrived.
Chapter End Notes:
Okay, guys !!!! Forgive our long absence... I had to travel abroad and my co writer NOVA, had his beloved comp suddenly dead !!!!...
Promise you have the next one ASAP... The story is near the end ...being a KIBBS story, it means get them finally together !!!! and it will be not easy to write... and very hard for them to live !!!!!
ATTENTION : This story is going to change from PG 13 to a higher status for the last chapters !!!!
Enjoy and don´t forget your comments and reviews, ´coz we love them!!!!
Many thaks to our beloved BETA, Michelle Euster, who is as fast and good as always !!!!