- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
At the end of a very hard day, after watching how Kate tries to deny her true feelings, Sedna wonders about her own destiny.
Dolphin Hero
Chapter 12

Sedna walks along the beach, surroundings are enveloped by an intense silence. Silence and darkness that receive her gladly, giving her their protective cover; the pearly skin of her dress is nearly invisible in the camouflage of the surrounding shadows. She walks slowly, however resolutely, feeling the fresh sand crunching under her bare feet, her strip sandals are now tied together, hanging from her neck.
Sedna curses herself. It is not usual for her to be unfocused, is not usual for her to feel regrets about anything…but for once, she does.
Why the hell had she kissed DiNozzo against all her previous ideas?
What damn thing was she trying to demonstrate and to whom?
To DiNozzo?
To herself?
Damn it. Sedna recalls the last minutes events…

She had followed DiNozzo outside the pub, just to find that Kate and Stolzer had moved away from the corner where they had saw them trough the window, no doubts they had seen them peeking, and Stolzer was fast.
Knowing him, Sedna knew that the SEAL Captain was not going to risk a confrontation with DiNozzo, it would endanger his opportunity with Kate this night and he wants to be with her. So, the strategy had been to avoid the whole situation, but DiNozzo was not giving up.
He had run around the build and surprised them, they were already on the Jeep that Stolzer had parked there and just about to leave … The bright lights washed over DiNozzo’s features when he had intercepted them facing the car , slamming both hands over the motor cover , he yelled “Kate! What the hell are-?”

“What are you doing, Tony! Leave me alone! (She is fuming mad) “You have no rights to control my life! It’s after work hours!!! Get out of here… now!!!
Her voice was heightened with rage but she stayed still inside the car, confirming what Sedna had thought, she was going to leave with Stolzer anyway, no matter what DiNozzo said.

DiNozzo had thumped his fists against the car, matching her tone to say: “And how it’s supposed that I’m going to explain all these …lack of common sense to the Boss uh? He will kill me, Kate!!! “
DiNozzo’s answer only pissed her off even more:
“What the hell are you talking about?!? Gibbs is our boss is not our father! I don’t have to tell him whom I am gonna sleep with! We don’t- I don’t need his approval. What is wrong with you Tony!?!” Kate blurts out everything before she has time to think what’s coming out form her mouth. Then she closes her eyes in regret. Shit shit shit shit…what did I say? What the hell did I say? Did I say ‘I don’t have to tell him who I am gonna sleep with…” Oh no.

Stolzer had kept silence along the whole incident; obviously he was letting Kate to handle her partner, avoiding to get involve in anything that DiNozzo could allege afterward about his behavior. A smile breaks from his face, is that means she is going to sleep with him?
“Smart guy” Sedna had thought. Oh no Kate, your rage is diluting your mind. I only hope you are not sleeping with the guy only to prove yourself that you are not. …falling in love with your blue eyed boss.
Kate had snorted, and yelled back, it’s too late to rectify anything. “I don’t care Tony!!! I don’t care about your pathetic arses! … you and Gibbs can go to fucking hell together!!!”

DiNozzo startled this time - it was not suitable for the well educated Kate to use this kind of language, she was obviously very “very” pissed.
That had been the moment that Stolzer had chosen to put the car in reverse and drive away… out of DiNozzo´s reach and a few seconds later, Kate and Stolzer were just the car engine in the night.

DiNozzo stayed still there, openmouthed - dumbfounded for a long moment. He couldn’t understand. Kate was pissed at him, that much was clear it was nothing much different from everyday. But Gibbs? Why Gibbs?
Crazy women, all them illogical and silly - what had Gibbs done to upset her so much? And when had he done it? The last time they had been together was at hospital…hours before…

DiNozzo recreated in his mind the moment that the Commander Doctor had suggested one of them to stay with Gibbs overnight and the boss had refused gruffly - yes. “Yes” that ´s it … that is what had pissed her off, nobody would understand why.

DiNozzo went back to reality and scratched his head under the knowing glace Sedna was giving him. The doctor stood in front of him, half worried half amused.
“Well… DiNozzo, you really know how to screw a good moment up, don’t you?” She said, and then with a resigned sigh she had added: “Let’s go back to the bar, get our last drink and then, I should go to secure my boat…storm is coming.
DiNozzo lowered his head and followed her to the welcoming pub; the lights and noises were a better-known world. They had had a latest beer and Tequila and then Sedna had left. She gave a last glance over her own shoulder; he was smiling to the blonde bartender.
“Good luck “she thinks.

Sedna recalls all that had happened as walking along the darkened beach, all is silence around… she steps over the wet sand, feeling the rough texture under her feet. She walks slowly, enjoying the fresh and dusty sensation, her step guide her by it own and she noticed that she had got at the southern end of the deck She cannot see the silhouette of the Dolphinsiren but her navigation lights are easily recognized, she walks along the coast looking for her ship.
All is darkness and peace, although it’s an odd peace, the silence contains a menacing quality: the core of silence is a resounding box, magnifying the sounds around, even the most tiny of them are perfectly perceived, echoing is the quietness that precedes the storm, well known by sailors of all times.

Even though she is not worried; Sedna knows she has time enough to enter the harbor and tie up her ship properly. In the mess the base had been immersed into; nobody had remembered the Dolphinsiren, precariously anchored out of the harbor. Nobody had given a look to the damn forecast from early in the morning; the coming storm has already been predicted.
Sedna curses again: “Not good for you, Captain…to put this aside. Your ship is much more than your responsibility. Is part of you …how could you forget her?... Shame on you”

Suddenly her trail of thought is cut off; she had the sensation of being watched. She turned around, surveying the darkness, stops her walking and hearing sharply at time she used her peripheral vision to improve her perception in darkness. Nothing she could see out there. No movements, no noises, probably it is her mind playing tricks on her. She trembled, as her feet touch the water, maybe is the coming storm what makes her feel oversensitive. Her skin tinkles with some kind of electricity, damn it! She knows what’s wrong with her…
Why? Why did she kiss DiNozzo despite all her reservations? Why had she accepted and even encouraged his advances? .
What had started as a strategy to help Kate make her move, but had turned unmanageable…she had succumbed to his closeness and her body had responding by itself to him… the warmth of his palm was still at the end of her spine, his breath on her neck and the taste of his mouth into hers, overpowering the bitter taste of beer.

She knows now why she had kissed DiNozzo against her previous preventions… it was nothing more the most natural impulse emerging from the sea of adrenaline that all this damn day had been. It was her body trying to affirm itself in the present life at the close view of the face of death, it was a normal physiological reaction, yes, but still, she hates herself for being so predictable and human… the behaviorist can’t help surrender to the ancient mechanisms off evolution and survive ness, that was certainly funny… funny and sad. But after all, why in hell should she fight against this kind of feelings … in the name of whom? The men who had left this world, left her alone? …These are feelings that positioned her into the real life… the life of every woman on earth… every female on earth .She needs a man "is that simple.
No, actually it’s not. Correction, her body needs a man, not her. Her skin wants to feel warm skin. Sedna clenched her jaw, fighting away the tears that her eyes burn to release without permission. The face of Charles comes to the screen of her mind, he appears babbling in his own style admonishing her by the distraction about the Dolphinsiren, and this time he would be right.
Charles had been a mistake, when her healthy skin wanted to feel a male skin…he was handsome, he was a good man at least, but he is not what she had expected.

The motorboat was there. She untied the rope and walked into the water to reach it. The lower of her dressed graze the water but she doesn’t care of. It was the old sea…her friend, her enemy… her Godfather.
The same moment that her hands touch the rubber of the boat, her sadness finally emerges from the deepest of her soul where she had fought to keep it silent and hidden, and one lonely tear touches the surface of the sea, the saline drop of her heart joins the salty immensity of the ocean.
“Dan…. John…. I still miss you “she said in a very sad voice. “ It’s not fair play, God….” She thinks narrowing her eyes to the invisible sky…
” Why Dan… why John…. why Kenny … are we paying for each sin on earth or what? … You must have a plan for us… God, otherwise my whole life is empty of meaning... I had thought before that I was making difference… what I’m doing wrong? Would you tell me God? … Please? “….
Her own voice surprises her… she didn’t know she had spoken aloud.
Suddenly she was conscious of the weird sensation that she had felt before. Someone else is close to her… she feels a presence… there is someone else out there, may be had been this odd perception that conduced her to speak to God. Was she becoming paranoid or what? She stands there… her still wet eyes brushing the darkness… nothing. But the feeling is still strong.
“Oh…you are going nuts, Sedna!...just keep yourself focused on what you have to do now! ”
She steps over the boat and planting firmly her feet apart over the wet bottom she bends down and positions the motor into the water, the light boat oscillates as she pulls the ignition cord out.
Nothing happens.
She tries again and again.
And once more. Nothing.
“This is the last thing expected… the fucking end of a fucking day …”
She tried again, with anger this time, and kicked the damn motor with her bare foot. “ Ouch, Shit! It hurts” …A fast survey of the bottom let her know that some idiot had forgotten the oars onboard the Dolphinsiren, so not any chance to make it rowing.
She is seriously considering peeling her dress off and made it swimming when suddenly the boat shakes dangerously under the weight of an unexpected intruder.
A/n : please R/R.
Thanks to Michelle, our Beta.
Chapter End Notes:
Hi guys... this story is approaching to the end... just two or three more chapters in the oven....
Things are going really bad ( or not.... that depends from the point of view) before getting better. Keep tunned, you´ll be surprissed !!!