- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Kate gets a new friend but she understands less and less her Boss behavior
"Dolphin Hero" Chapter 3
He smirks, "Nope, I'm asking you to stay, you could help us and we will probably need some explanations along the way."
"Oh…" Dunn is surprised.
"OK, I just need to distract myself a little, as I know the CO. We have at least fifteen minutes; I have some work to do, if you don't mind"
"Sure, Doc." Gibbs agreed.
Dunn sits and starts some video on the plasma screen. It's an exceptional screen, even better than the one they have in Abby's Lab.
Minutes go by and Gibbs got his "who knows how manieth" cup of coffee, It's clear that Dunn knows the jerk CO very well.
Dunn is watching the video and taking some notes at her keyboard when a sharp exclamation from DiNozzo interrupts her. She clicks the stop icon and turns to him, frowning. He and Kate had been watching the Californian sea lions at the screen as Gibbs read some file.
"What's your problem, DiNozzo?" Sedna sighs looking at him impatiently. "Can't I have a couple of minutes of peace without you distracting me? I'm going to dedicate all the morning to you! What's the matter?"
Tony is watching the frozen screen where a male sea lion was, seconds before, catching a female, biting the back of her neck and holding her in the air while shaking her defenseless body.
"Not just we humans kill each other, I see…" DiNozzo gapes at the screen
Sedna is looking at him curiously and as the video plays again, she says with a gentle voice, as if talking to a kid: "It is NOT an assassination, DiNozzo. You need to watch more of Discovery kids or Animal Planet, this is just… foreplay "
"WHAT???" DiNozzo shouts in surprise, watching the replayed scene, his mouth still open. It is pretty funny, Kate decides.
"FOREPLAY it is what…us…mammals, as well as other vertebrates do before mating, DiNozzo, in case you didn't know," Dunn spells it out for the Special Agent.
Kate is trying so hard to contain her laughter.
"So, they are… mating???" he can't believe his eyes
"YES, DiNozzo!!! YES, they WERE mating before you interrupted me, didn't your daddy and mummy explain the "mating" thing to you? Could I help you with any other information?" Sedna is almost shouting now.
Kate gives a brief laugh but Gibbs, taken by surprise while wolfing down a big cup of coffee can't help himself and chokes on the hot liquid, causing the coffee to spray it all over the table and files…and his pants.
Everybody is looking at him now, waiting for his explosive reaction…but, no! Strangely, rarely, despite the rain of coffee, Gibbs is openly laughing___laughing!!!
"That…was the funniest thing I've heard in years Dr Dunn!!! Isn't it? ‘Sex machine'?" And he reaches out his arm and slaps DiNozzo's head, "and you are going to pay the laundry bill, sex machine!!!"
But Tony doesn't mind the laundry bill, he is still interested in the animals and very persistent, Kate thinks and admits that persistence is good in a cop.
"And…and…why is the male double the weight…I mean…the size of the female? Isn't that…weird and bad?" he asks Dunn.
Sedna looks at him more kindly now, the boy is serious. "Yes, DiNozzo, blame it on evolution. It is called sexual dimorphism, it is necessary for the species' survival. We humans have a certain degree of dimorphism too."
She looks down at herself, opening her hands: "Look at me and Kate…and look you, guys!!!" She glares briefly to Tony and then gives a more delightfully slow look at Gibbs who smirks under her professional scrutiny, "…we are a good example."
Sedna looks at Kate, there is a smooth blush on her cheeks and it is not from laughing at her partner, Dunn is sure of that. Obviously, she had followed her direction and studied her Boss's features openly.
The video is still playing. Now, the sea lions are properly mating, the much heavier body of the male almost covering, surely crushing the female more slender and somehow graceful body.
"He is not hurting her?" the knuckleheaded Special Agent asks in disbelief.
"No, DiNozzo, it is not! Well maybe, sometimes he can bite her if she doesn't submit to the male, but it is not common, but if the female refused, the survival of the species could be threatened, as I told you, evolution. The females choose strong males, who can defend her from other males or other dangers and preserve the territory, and a strong healthy mate increases one's possibility of giving birth to a strong healthy pup, it's PERFECT! Evolution is perfect"
Kate, at the end, risks a question, hoping that she doesn't crash and burn like DiNozzo. "So, if he is not crushing her, it means that the female is adapted to her stronger, heavier partner?"
Before Sedna could answer, Gibbs makes his first observation about with a quiet voice. "She does not seem to be distressed," his eyes still glued to the plasma screen.
Sedna mirrors his smirk. "GOOD, Agent Gibbs, sure she isn't "
"So, among the sea lions, it is the female who chooses the partner?" conforms DiNozzo.
"And among humans as well DiNozzo!" Gibbs couldn't help himself from commenting to his daft Agent, who is supposed to be a Casanova.
"GOOD! Agent Gibbs, very good! Did you learn from experience?" Obviously, Sedna is enjoying this conversation, Kate bets. Sedna is looking at the abnormally smiling Gibbs approvingly.
Before he could answer, someone knocks the door impatiently, their juicy conversation is over. The CO is finally tired of yelling at his men.
---------------------------------------------
The interrogation is going to begin soon. The CO had suggested the higher ranks would be interviewed first.
The SEALs enter first, in a tight pack and stay there with inscrutable faces, it is obvious that they are not going to obey any order from anybody, except their formal leader – the captain.
One of them is older than the rest, obviously the leader of the pack. Kate estimates his age, must be in his late 30's or early 40's, while the rest are in their late twenties.
"Gibbs, this is Captain Stolzer." Dunn introduces the SEALs' CO with a cold voice. It is obvious that she doesn't like him and she is NOT bothered to hide it, "and these are Agents DiNozzo and Todd".
"Captain Carl Stolzer, what do you want from my team?" The SEAL CO shakes Gibbs's hand, hard but still professional, within the military code.
Dunn is observing and so does Kate.
The Captain introduces himself, asking a direct question to the senior agent. He continues, baring his rules. "My men will co-operate, they are under my orders, anything you need to ask, just ask me," the CO barks with no hesitation.
"I don't think so Capt Stolzer, we will interrogate any suspects or witness as we see fit" Gibbs looks at him in the eyes.
The SEAL CO looks like he is about to pound on Gibbs. He is NOT used to having his orders defied by any men, whether civilians or military.
Dunn is looking at the scene with great interest, she is about to witness a territorial fight! Just like some mammals fighting for their place. This is going to be fun…before her new friend Kate, intervenes, at the right time.
"Captain, what Special Agent Gibbs means, is that we'll conduct the interrogation as Naval professionals, we are extremely pleased with your cooperation," Kate quickly intervenes, with a light still professional smile, putting herself in between the testosterone charged males, she has no wish for her beloved-grumpy-Boss to be pound into pieces.
The SEAL Captain looks surprised.
The man is stroked by the sudden interference of the female agent, a small statured lady, her head doesn't even reach his shoulder; and he is NOT an easy person to be dismissed, and yet she dares, the woman has balls!
"And you are?" the Captain asked.
Gibbs rolls his eyes in annoyance. "She is Special Agent Todd! What? Do you have a poor memory, Captain?"
Kate couldn't believe her ears, her boss is insane.
Stolzer's face is turning red and the muscles of his jaw are bulging as his eyes with anger; but no words go out from his mouth. He knows well that Special Agent Gibbs position is higher than his; he knows NCIS and familiar with their rights and privilege.
He does not like the man, but he can't say to the bastard what he wishes to say. Instead he straightens, eyes fixed in an imaginary point between them, and shouts: "No, Sir!"
Sedna Dunn is seated on her chair, right at the "front seat" of the fight, witnessing the heated contest in her small crowded office. Her life is just about to get really exciting. She loves NCIS!
Dunn can see the spark that will start the fireworks: The SEAL CO has taken an interest and the man is obviously captivated by "Gibbs's girl" oopps, she means the NCIS female agent that she is rather fond of.
Kate is not a sissy and the CO likes it.
On the other hand, Kate's boss is definitely NOT happy with the attention towards his agent and Gibbs is NOT hiding or making any effort to hide his displeasure.
The Captain decides to ignore Gibbs's rude remark. He has more important things on his mind, and the woman standing in front of him is really pretty…and kind, the complete opposite of her boss.
She is dressed in a feminine blouse and her hair is tied in a ponytail, exposing the fine line of her neck, collarbones and delicate ears. He swallows and obliges his eyes to remain cold and professional but still focused on the beautiful creature in front of him.
"You can call me Carl." He shakes Kate's hand warmly, giving her permission to call him by his given name. At the time DiNozzo is gawking at his partner.
"Oh? Call me…" Kate is surprised, she is about to say her name when she is rudely interrupted by her grumpy boss.
"TODD! Special Agent Todd! And you shall address the Special Agent appropriately!" as he pulls "his woman" aside and steps forward, taking her place.
Dunn notices: Gibbs is looking directly in the Captain's eyes, warning him to lay off his property, she means, his agent, his subordinate, his "female" in the mostly animal sense.
Oh yeah!!! The only thing that makes Gibbs different from a male elephant seal in the breeding season fight is the fact that his nose is not increasing in size as he faces the rival male defiantly.
They are face to face, their chests separated by a few inches and their chins are up. Like elephant "SEALS" and, yeah, sure the Captain is younger and has bulkier shoulders but there is a halo of authority and rank surrounding Gibbs. His female Agent is safely tucked behind him.
Smiling from inside, Sedna recalled how the younger elephant seals, even being stronger and with plenty of hormones, used to retreat in the presence of an older Alfa male; his status affirmed by scars of uncountable succeeded seasons .
"We are not so far from animals." She is satisfied with her theory.
Dunn decides it is time! The time to interrupt or shall she say "douse the spark of fire".
"Gibbs, you can conduct the interrogation next door, there is a meeting room you can use," she is still looking at Gibbs and Stolzer moves one step backwards at the same time.
Kate is behind her boss looking at the scene worriedly, DiNozzo is bugging her with his whispering. She is shorter than Gibbs and he is blocking her view.
"May I have your men's files, Captain?" Gibbs asks the man.
Stolzer doesn't say a word, he turns back to military mode. The man walks towards the table and grabs the confidential files - giving them…oh no, not to the leader of the pack.
Hell no! He gives them to the pretty Agent Todd. He will find out her given name later and perhaps get to know her a little bit better, she is saucy!
"Thanks Captain." Kate thanks him kindly.
If looks could kill, she would already be dead! DiNozzo is shaking his head, very displeased with Kate.
"Agent Gibbs! You have twelve hours!" The Captain snaps at him. "We are in the middle of a training program".
"DON'T tell me how to do my job! And I will interrogate you LAST!" Gibbs answers grimly and signals his agents to exit Dunn's office.
"Thanks Sedna." Only Kate remembers to thank the kind woman and Sedna replies with a small nod and smile.
---------------------------------------------------
Outside the office.
"DiNozzo! Go down to the local pubs and I want you to gather information on our SEAL boys, anything that might help us in the investigation!" Gibbs gives his order.
Tony gleefully yelps, but before he can thank his boss. Kate interrupts him curtly. "WHAT? Gibbs! Him? Why?" she is NOT happy.
But Gibbs ignores her complaint, not even looking at her.
"…and DiNozzo! I have eyes in the back of my head, so watch it!"
"OK, BOSS" and Tony runs away from his boss and dissatisfied partner.
"Kate, I want you to profile them. You can't watch them from the window, so you'll be seated next to me and profile" Gibbs decides.
"OK." Kate sighs, no hope of changing her boss mind, once it's made up, she walks towards the designated room with the files.
Out of the blue, Gibbs reaches out to her and grabs her arm. "Katie, any time, any of the guys makes you feel uncomfortable, you let me know." He looks at her seriously – he knows how SEALs are, and she has never handled them before.
"Gibbs, I am not a baby." She is still angry and she enters the room, while Gibbs stays outside and decides on the order of the interviews.
---------------------------------
So the two of them interview a total of twenty three officers, including SEALs and six civilians until four in the afternoon, helped by DiNozzo who returns to them within two hours after he was dispatched by Gibbs.
The officers see the younger agent reporting to his boss and see the man with the silver hair nodding accordingly.
By the time they are done with the interview:
Kate is dying for a rest, DiNozzo is dying from hunger and Gibbs is NOT dying for anything because he has his coffee, thanks to Dunn, the coffee pot had never been empty.
The woman was once married to a marine, she'll know about their needs and priorities.
Gibbs is having the time of his life, interrogating a pack of officers with an adequate supply of coffee.
Dunn had been witnessing the interrogation in complete silence, she didn't say a word about Gibbs's particular method, although she took some notes, Kate noticed. Probably she is going to cross check some circumstances or affirmations which she suspects not being true.
In the middle of the procedure they took a ten minute long interval and Gibbs rubs his tired eyes and blinks, then stands up and heads to the bathroom. When he returns, his face and hair are still wet and his cheeks are slightly pink.
He washed his face. Sedna profiles the man while she is giving instructions to her two assistants in their diving suits to empty the main pool during the night, with the slow tone of hers that seems to be a casual comment but has the force of an order for those who know her, and then they both nod briefly and left.
Gibbs looks at her and smirks. "Thank you, Doc"
"For what, Agent Gibbs?"
"Coffee and help." She smiles sadly and replies. "It didn't help yet"
Gibbs mirrors her smile and gives a nod: "Yes, you did, none of them ignores you, you know all about the program and your presence here made them unable to lie about this…at the very least"
"Do you think they are afraid of me, Gibbs?
"I would be…actually"
"Well, Gibbs, I don't know what to do or say, whether to thank you or kick your ass. Was that a compliment?" Dunn asks.
"Sort of" and Gibbs left the woman in his quarters.
--------------------------------------------------
It is almost dusk.
By that time they are sitting around the table in Dunn's quarters, cross-examining results. After half an hour Kate decides to do something else "Gibbs, I am going to visit Dunn, I have some questions about the compound to ask her, be back before night fall," She lets him know and received a stiff nod from him.
"Date with the older navy CO, Kate, or the SEALs' stiff Captain?" Tony teases her
"You are a pig. And I would rather date a ‘SEAL' than you," Kate grins and leaves him dumbfounded.
------------------------------------------------
Kate breathes deeply, the place is beautiful, fresh warm humid air. She gazes over the horizon; if only…Kate thinks, if only she could share what she sees with someone, with him, as she admires the dusk, absolutely gorgeous. She wishes she had a pair of binoculars. Dunn might be willing to lend her.
Kate asks for directions to Dunn's boat. Within thirty minutes she walks through the large compound, only to finally find Dunn's boat on the other side of the main entrance. The last one, or first one, depending on where you are, said the guard at the entrance.
"Oh God." Kate whispers to herself, the beach, the white soft sand on the shores. She sees Dunn's boat, named "Dolphin Siren": her slender lines even more graceful among the barges and minesweepers around.
Without realizing, Kate reaches down to take off her shoes, sheds her coat and peacefully walks through the heated sand to the Dolphin Siren. "Magical" Kate admires.
"Hello…Dr. Dunn" Kate calls for her. A few seconds later she notices Dunn's head, peaking from behind a half unfolded sail.
"MY GOD! I never thought it would be a sailing vessel, Gibbs has to see her" Kate exclaims.
"Yes, come aboard, Agent Todd." Dunn notices her bare feet and grins at Kate.
"Love the beach, Agent Todd?" Dunn asks her guest.
"OH YES!" Kate replies enthusiastically. "I love beaches," Kate grins excitedly like a five year old. "And call me Kate, please"
Kate left her sand filled shoes by the entrance, not wanting to dirty the boat. She crosses the plank feeling her heart beating faster from excitement as she looks around eagerly. She has never been on a boat like this. Since she has joined NCIS she is getting used to warships and all that, very impressive war tech, but this boat is…different.
Wood, bronze, and pale sails, from where the breeze gets attractive light noises, squeaks and creaks.
This boat speaks of far seas and adventure and Kate recalls the rainy evenings of her childhood, her old brothers playing as warriors and pirates and pissing her off, saying that women are forbidden on board.
Suddenly she feels the deck moving under her feet and recovers her balance with a surprised smile. Dunn nods with her personal half sided smile. "She is not an aircraft carrier, Special Agent Todd, this boat feels the sea, even when she is moored."
The last rays of the sun stain the unfolded sails in orange, reflected by the steering. Kate notes that it is certainly not the original steering, it is made out of steel and fiberglass or something. She remembers hearing Dunn said that her vessel had been equipped and updated.
Sedna is looking at her, still holding a pair of tools. She wonders what she is really doing here, was it Gibbs who sent her to her boat? Or did she come on her own?
Her thoughts are interrupted by a man in shorts, coming up from the stern.
"I'm done, ‘Sed', now, at least it would work…have to replace this piece of sh..…Oh!" The man stops talking as he sees Kate with her.
"Ok, that's all, Tom. This is Special Agent Todd, NCIS. Kate, this is Tom, my vet" Dunn introduces them.
"And your mechanic, I'm glad that not all NCIS agents are that grumpy, ma'am," Tom replies.
Kate looks at him, confused. She can't figure out what the man is talking about and suddenly, her brain clicks and she knew…GIBBS.
"I hoped not. So, you are a vet, you take care of the dolphins here?"
"NO, I ‘m just an adviser, NMMP has military vets and they are in charge, I assist Dr Dunn in her behavior studies. You will stay here tonight, Sedna?"
"Yeah, you know I'm more comfortable here, Tom. I'll be fine, I've my dinner, go man, there is somebody waiting for you." Dunn urges the man to go.
"Sure? Don't need anything?" he insists
Sedna shakes her head emphatically. "Didn't you hear me? I'm fine! Go!" and she gives a friendly kick to his ass.
He pats her shoulder briefly. "OK! I left the bike out there in case you needed it. Fred could give me a ride."
Sedna starts a protest but he is already out "See you ‘morrow Capt."
Dunn sighs and rubs the sweat off her arms and neck with the towel. Her white top is soaked and shows some oil spots. Kate smiles shyly. "So, this is your haven, dr. Dunn?"
And Dunn invites her in.
Kate is amazed by what she sees; how Sedna has made Dolphin Siren her home. She doesn't know much about vessels but it is not difficult to see that the old boat was fully equipped with digital technology and retained most of her old charm.
The place is cozy, warm and welcoming, yet there is no clutter, no pictures on the cabin wall, nor in the kitchen in the cabin, nor the living room which by night served as her sleeping quarters. Kate wonders, and her question is answered as Sedna opens a door and there is the master bedroom cabin.
"I know what you are thinking; this is the only thing that remained exactly the same, even the bed, surprising isn't it?" Dunn explains
Kate is looking at the round bed, her mouth opens in amusement.
Sedna smiles, "never seen anything like this? At least in a boat, this boat belonged to the father of my first husband and he was…well, a little outrageous. But I found the bed very comfortable! You can change position when sleeping, just don't hit your shins against the corners, it is difficult to slide down when the vessel moves and very good for other purposes, Agent Todd!" The two can't help themselves and they laugh.
Suddenly, Kate's face turns red as she thinks about the strange bed which is wide enough to share with someone like Gibbs. She is really surprised with the "scenario" that invades her mind with no warning.
Has she gone insane? It must be the weather or perhaps she spent too much time alone since she kicked her last boyfriend's sorry ass and she can't help it but to feel the anger again, the anger she felt when she discovered the son of a bitch was dating another woman on the side.
What was happening to her? Is she going to turn into some sort of "DiNozzo"? Some sort of sex deprived creature?
It is just that DiNozzo starts going crazy within ten days of single life; Caitlin Todd has spent months with no one to share her nights.
Sedna has been contemplating her angry and sad face but she says nothing and shows Kate the rest of the boat. She shows off her "baby" with pleasure and pride.
-----------------------------------------
Two hours later:
The girls are sitting on the makeshift sofas, drinking iced coffee and eating lobster salad, Dunn's famous recipe. They talk as if they have known each other for years. They click. The topics range from personal life to the case and the dead dolphin, then Kate realizes how much Sedna loved the dolphin and how disturbed she is and that his name is Kenny.
Kate tries to cheer her up: "Ducky is very kind, Sedna, you don't have to worry, he pays great respect to the deceased, he is gentle and…"
Dunn interrupts her. "Oh, I know, Kate. When I found out that it is Ducky who is going to perform the autopsy on my dolphin, I felt so much better, and my poor baby is in good hands, besides I believe he is skilled enough to find something such as I would have found if there is something to be found "
"Sedna, we'll set up a connection and let you watch his work, I ‘m pretty sure he would be pleasant" Kate assures her, "and I am sure Ducky will return your dolphin to you, if you wanted him to."
"Thanks, Kate - I was thinking about it, actually I have the official request on my desk. Our project is to build a marine science museum and I want Kenny's skeleton for the exhibition, we have a story to tell about Kenny, he was the best of all dolphins ever trained in sub aquatic surveillance"
Dunn sadly continues. "…He was twenty three years old and was "enlisted" if you would allow me to use the word, fifteen years ago, he had extraordinary abilities, his performance is classified info by now, I'm not authorized to talk about it, but I could tell you if it's necessary. But I'm sure you could access it on your own and we both shall avoid the fury of Charles, The CO Smithers" she clarifies. "I'm tired of having to discuss it with him every- single-day"
"I guess he can be difficult." Kate feels sorry for her new friend.
Sedna smirks and tilts her head and Kate suddenly notices how much her smirk mirrors Gibbs's. Hers is left instead of right, but the final result is almost the same.
"Maybe Tony IS right, they have much in common, what life experience produces these kind of people?" She wonders.
"They are not easy, but their existence improves the environment even when they are used to being alone in their private lives." Kate returns abruptly to the present when she hears her name:
"Kate, do you like animals?" Dunn asks her. She is enjoying the female company, her counterpart is fresh, sweet and intelligent, NOT some bimbo and she is ex Secret Service, selected to protect the President. Wow!
There is much more to her than what she can see and of course; Gibbs does not have her in his team just for decorative purposes, Dunn concludes.
"Oh Yes, very much," Kate nods her head.
"So, what kind of pet do you have? I have a Siamese cat here. ‘Blue eyes' and 'Blaise' is his nick…Supposedly hidden somewhere around, distrust new people," Sedna looks around looking for her pet, "he will show up soon, he used to sleep over my shoulder"
Kate goes really quiet. "Oh, I don't have any, with my work and schedule, they'll die within a week"she says as she is staring at her feet, somehow deeply embarrassed by her life.
"But your boyfriend could help you take care of the pet, or he doesn't like animals?" Dunn is ready to hear Kate gush about her boyfriend who is NOT fond of animals and why a pretty and intelligent girl like her ended up with jerk! But Dunn is shocked by what Kate admits.
Kate is shrinking further by the second. "I live alone…" she says forlornly, not being able to control her emotions. Why on earth does she tell Sedna everything?
---------------------------------------------------
-TBC-Dolphinsiren/novasupernova/2007-BETA (MV)
Special thanks to our BETA (MV)
Chapter End Notes:
Please remember that this is a story writen in co authory with novasupernova !!!! hope you enjoy... and let us know what do you think.... coz we really like feedback