- Text Size +
Chapter 13

An exhausted Special Agent Timothy McGee greeted the dawn with a groan Monday morning. The team had spent the biggest part of Saturday and Sunday working the case. When he had arrived home in the wee hours of Sunday morning to catch a few hours sleep, Julie had already been asleep. For the past two days they had seen little of one other, but had made the best of the time they had.
"Good morning," Julie said with a smile.
"Good morning," he responded in kind, and then kissed her.
Julie stretched, and then shifted, allowing Tim to slide from beneath her and make his way to the bathroom.
"I want to talk to you about something, but I don't want you to freak out," Julie said hesitantly.
Tim walked back into the bedroom and sat down next to her. He smoothed her hair back with his hand and smiled at her. "Whatever it is, you can talk to me," he said sweetly. "Unless you're telling me you're leaving," he corrected.
"No, not that," she assured him.
"Good," he answered with a smile, and then leaned over to kiss her again.
"First of all, I'm moving to DC. I know it seems really sudden. If I were doing it just for you it would be crazy stalkerish. Not that the situation with you didn't influence my decision, because it did," she spoke very quickly, rising up onto her knees and moving her hands very animatedly. "But Jen and Uncle Toby have been trying to get me to move here for a long time. I can write from anywhere. And I received an offer to teach some classes in the child development department part-time at Waverly." Her face was alight with excitement as she rambled on. She wanted him to be excited for her, but she didn't want to scare him by pushing too far too fast. "So I'm going to start looking for an apartment this week. I figured starting here in the Silver City area might be nice." Julie finished her soliloquy, and sat with a nervous expression on her face awaiting his response.
"I only have one question," Tim responded. "What about what you just said is supposed to make me upset?" he smiled at her. "I couldn't be more excited about your decision." He paused for a moment before continuing. "I've been accused by women of wanting a serious relationship too quickly. Most girls want to date, mess around, and have fun… but the girls I've been attracted to have never been ready to be serious. I've sent more than one person screaming for the door."
"I doubt that," Julie said with a smirk.
"Seriously," Tim continued. "You are absolutely everything I've ever wanted in a woman all in one person. I am blown away by your energy and your zest for life. You're like a force larger than life – like the sun. I want to soak up as much of you as I can. I cannot believe my good fortune that a woman as incredible as you wants to be with me." Tim met her gaze, and noticed the sheen of unshed tears in her eyes. "What is it?" he asked in concern.
"That's the most amazing thing anyone has ever said to me," she admitted. "I really like you, Tim, and I have really high hopes for what we can be together."
Tim pulled her into his arms and kissed her all the hope and happiness he could put in one kiss.
"I have to get ready for work," he said, pulling away from her.
"Oh, me too!" she said excitedly.
"Where are you working today?" he asked.
"I'm going to NCIS with Jenny," she said with a chuckle.
"Oh my God, Julie!" Tim was immediately panic-stricken.
"What?" Julie asked, not understanding the reason for his dramatic response. "I told her all about you over lunch yesterday," she explained. "Of course, I didn't mention your name or that you worked at NCIS. She thinks you sound perfect for me."
"If you didn't tell her who I was, what exactly did you tell her?" Tim asked, his face still showing signs of concern.
"Relax," Julie said in a comforting tone. "I told her how you rescued me, and how you protected me. I told her how amazing you were in bed…"
"I'm dead," Tim interrupted. "Or at least fired," he began pacing the room. "I can't believe you told her that Julie!" he exclaimed. "She's my boss. No. She's my boss's boss! I'm so dead," he said with a big sigh.
"Jenny is not going to fire you for sleeping with me, Tim," Julie said simply. "Trust a little bit. It'll be fine."
"Easy for you to say, you don't worry about anything," Tim said nervously.
Julie stood up and began massaging his shoulders. "Everything will be fine, Tim." She leaned forward and planted a wet kiss on his neck. He groaned, and then moved away from her.
"Being late won't help," he said mournfully. She laughed.
"I'll see you later," she promised. His expression looked as if he were headed for the gallows. She laughed.